Speaker 1: He's a Sage Lake Crackers.
Speaker 2: Crazy shit. Here, we will see you, Toms the Gunner. Welcome to hang out. Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Tuesday, February fifteenth, and I'm joined with arm Leyton and Ethan Bodowski. We have a couple of things to go over before we play general manager with the Miami Marlins, and I have two perfect people to deal with. Arm comes from Lockdown Marlins, He's always been a Marlins Miami and of course Ethan Bodowski writes for Just Baseball dot Com covering the Marlins. What's up boys? Post Super Bowl? I am not feeling great. I just came back from Vegas. As you could probably hear it in my voice, but my rams won the freaking Super Bowl. How you guys doing there? You go, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm better and worse than you, right, Like, we're about to talk about the team that we grew up watching that has not won a World Series since our brains really can remember anything, which is you know, two thousand Like my memory starts a two thousand and five and on.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you just got a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Our football team that we grew up being a fan of is also in shambles. It's bad across the board except for basketball. So I was gonna ask you, have you ever seen two Marlins fans in the same place.
Speaker 2: It's very rare. It's very rare because I mean, like, generally, how many Marlins fans are there? But Ethan, how are you? Brother? It's doing good. It's Valentine's Day. We're recording on Valentine's Day to post tomorrow. Ethan's got a Valentine's dinner after Jack McMullen is not here. He's talking, you know, with his beautiful girlfriend, while arm and I, you know, we're talking Marlins. And that's that's our beautiful co hosts reading up for dinner.
Speaker 4: Afterwards, you two going taking out to each other out to a romantic dinner. No, I had to make sure to get the pod in and then Valentine's Day come after the pod. We all know how the priority sly, But no, I thought the game was really good last night. I really haven't been able to stop thinking about Aaron Donald making that final play sealing the deal, just how poetic the whole thing was. The Rams are really lovable champion. It's the first year in a while i've actually enjoyed a Super Bowl because Brady wasn't in it and I could just kind of sit back and relax and enjoy. But I'm itching now that football is over. I'm really itching for some baseball. I'm really This morning, I like thought about baseball and I was like, wow, I need any kind of fixing I can get. So I was really happy when he sent me a text today to come on and talk some talk some balls.
Speaker 2: So wish we could have the classic. It's baseball season as soon as the Super Bowl ends. But of course we are still in a lockout. But we I feel like just baseball, we kind of pretend it's not happening, and we just still go through our predictions because we don't care. We know a season's going to happen. What is you guys feeling right now when it comes to the lockout? Do you are them? Do you think that we're going to start April first? Opening Day? Like if I gave you a line over under one hundred and sixty one and a half games played this year, are you taking the over or the under over?
Speaker 3: I'm still like I'm the optimist here, and I think you know people people might laugh sometimes without optimistic I've been about it, but even like with the move Saturday, I think each side is incrementally starting to get closer to where they need to be, and it's just a matter of timing. I think we're going to see spring training delayed, but I don't think the season will be impacted. Like they're going to get to where they need to go, and it's the closer we get to it, the more we'll see both sides give. I think we'll see the players give the most we've seen so far on the next you know, return off or from them.
Speaker 2: Ethan, what do you think over under one sixty one and a half?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I a few weeks ago, like, I was talking to a buddy of mine and I said, you know, I think that the worst case scenario was that they play one hundred and fifty games. And maybe I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm starting to think that might be best case scenario at this point. I understand that all they would really have to do is kind of cut spring training down, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: How happy the league is going to be about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think spring training can be cut down anyway, but I don't know I really like there's that you know, these talks are moving really slowly, and I feel like eventually maybe they'll hit a point where things kind of speed up. But I definitely think we're in for at least a spring training delay. I mean, you know that that seems to be where we're headed. I mean, pitchers and catchers were supposed to report this week, I think, and you know, here we are obviously, so I you know, I wish that I felt better about it, because I would love to be down in Jupiter, you know, hanging out with with my reporter friends and with Jezishem and the guys. But unfortunately, you know, I'm not sure when I'm gonna be able to head down there because you know, they're they're the owners are taking their sweet time, that's for sure, and they are the ones that are you know, it's them doing it and they're taking their sweet old time. So I'm pretty fed up. But we're gonna play baseball, you know. I mean some people are like, we're not gonna have a season at all. We'll play baseball, and we'll play baseball before before the All Star break for sure. Like you know, if anything, I think it'll kind of leak into April, but I think that's the worst case.
Speaker 2: I would take the over one sixty one and a half. I do think that we're gonna play all one sixty two. I feel like, you know, with the COVID shortened season, the amount of money that was lost, they're just gonna lose out on so much money and just fan engagement because we actually don't play all one sixty two, it's gonna be horrific for the league, really bad, look, really badly. And I'm also wondering if this might because you know, you guys know there have been talks for years and years and years about shortening the season, maybe to one hundred and forty four games, possibly one hundred and fifty games. I'm curious to arm, do you think that if we, let's say we do only play one hundred and fifty games, do you think it could possibly set some sort of president moving forward that says, hey, maybe the season should be shortened a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, It's funny we saw we saw MLB use the COVID situation to cut the draft down because that was something MLB always wanted and it was an opportunity to cut it to five and now we're back to twenty and we haven't really bumped up from twenty. So I could see in a situation where if the season was cut short that it could open the floodgates a little bit. And I think that's another reason why the players are gonna have a little bit more urgency here to just get to one sixty two, because I still think they prefer, you know, the one sixty two. As crazy as that sounds, it's more money for them, So I think we'll have it happen. But yeah, if we see the season cut down, I think there's there's a scenario where you know, they'll say, hey, why don't this worked out?
Speaker 2: Fine?
Speaker 3: Like why do't why don't we try this and just expand the playoffs instead, which you know, I think definitely favors the owners with how much money the postseason brings in.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So, Ethan, what do you think, what do you think about that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I think that fans, you know, kind of drive obviously, they're the drivers of interested in the game, right, And if fans are fed up with one sixty two and they go down to one fifty, maybe like a one forty five number or something like that, and all of a sudden, the fans all get really excited about it and feel like it's a little better. But at the same time, you know, that's in the grand scheme of things. It's only you know, if you go down to one fifty, it's only like a week and a half of baseball.
Speaker 1: Like, that's not that much of a difference to the season, you know.
Speaker 4: So I think fans are just going to kind of be like, we can do with the extra week and a half of baseball.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 4: But I'm an advocate for why would you want the season to end? You know, people always explain about games being long? Why do you want games to be long? Who cares if the super Bowl runs four hours? Why do you want the super Bowl to be over?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: So, yeah, I just feel like that one sixty two number, that's how it is, and it's a good you know, it's.
Speaker 2: You don't have to watch them all long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to know, no one, no one's making you watch them by it right, exactly?
Speaker 1: But oh we watch them all though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but exactly, we don't have to what would do yeah, watch take mondays off?
Speaker 2: Take Mondays off? Whatever. But let's gentlemen, we have two of the best Miami minds that I could find. So let's play general manager with the Miami Marlins. And first I want to give you guys the sixty second rundown of the twenty twenty one season and then we'll break straight into it. So the Miami Marlins open up the twenty twenty one season with a seventy four and a half win projection. They just came off a playoff berth in twenty twenty, which was the first time they made the playoffs since they won the championship in two thousand and three, but they underperformed in twenty twenty one. They finished fourth place in the NLE East with a sixty seven and ninety five record. The offense was the big issue here. The team finished with the second fewest runs scored and tied for twenty sixth in WRC plus. Although the team offense wasn't very strong, we did see encouraging performances from rookie Jazz Chisolm and Hayesu's Sanchez, but the pitching is what is starting to get people really excited. They finished eleventh in THERA and eighth and FIP as a staff behind young studs like Sandy Alkintara and NL rookie the year runner up Trevor Rodgers. Pablo Lopez has also really established himself as a very strong three even though he just threw over one hundred innings. The Marlins bullpen was strong as well. They finished seventh in the ERA and sixth and fifth behind the performances of Dylan Floro, Richard Bleier, and Anthony Bender. It's a steep climb to the playoffs, especially in a division that as the twenty twenty one World Series champion Braves and the Mets adding Max Scherzer. But with a few big moves, we could see the Martlins enter the conversation in twenty twenty two. So before we get into a lot of the moves that we think the Marlins should make after the lockout is finished, let's go through a lot of the moves that they've done so so far. Maybe give it a grade, talk about it kind of briefly, and then we'll get into some roster construction and we'll play the role of Kim Nang so arm, What is your favorite move that the Marlins have made this offseason so far?
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you asked me favorite and not least favorite, because there are two.
Speaker 2: There's two.
Speaker 3: There's there's a great move, there's a bad move, and there's a move in the middle.
Speaker 2: So thank you for the great one.
Speaker 3: I'll go with you, Jacob Stallings, that that move is just it was so good for the Marlins. And we had talked about, you know, Wilson Contreras or you know, a bunch of other really more offensive minded catchers, and yeah, I could definitely get behind the offensive boost and maximizing the production anyway possible. But what I'm really excited about with Stallings is he's the best defensive catcher in baseball right now, and you know, he's unbelievable framer didn't have a single pass ball. I mean the kind of confidence that that's going to give guys like Jesus Wizardo. And then also the advantage that it gives a Sandy al Contra when you're still more strikes from him at the bottom of the zone with those sinkers stealing strikes for Trevor Rodgers. And remember this is not just bringing in Stallings, it's taking what is the biggest dumpster fire of a catcher situation and bringing in Jacob Stallings, Right, so you're taking the worst defensive catcher in baseball, arguably in Jorgel Farro, and bringing in Stallings. Then you're taking a situation where you look at Stallings ninety five WRC plus, people would be like, oh, that's five percent below average, but catching position in baseball was eighty nine WRC plus, so he's actually about five percent above average. And then compounding that, the Marlins got a sixty three WRC plus from their catching position last year, so think about that, they get a thirty two percent bump essentially your thirty plus percent bump to their catching position in offensive just production.
Speaker 2: That's massive.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is going to be a boost that really transcends whatever you're going to see in the advanced statistics and anything like that, because it's from where they were to where they are. I think it's just going to be such a big difference. And they didn't give up that much.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I love Kyle Nicholas. I'm a big Colin Nicholas fan. Just had him on the call up. He's a great prospect. But the Marlins have a million pitchers. Zach Thompson's a good back end you know, big league starter, I think, but again, they don't need him, and Connor Scott is probably a fourth outfielder.
Speaker 4: So I was I was great. I was very happy with that move. First of all, I like your restraint on talking about Connor Scott, because I know you and I have talked about him a lot. But I like your restraint there. No, I you know, I'm gonna go before I get to what I think was my best move. I'll talk about Stallings for a second, which is I was one of those people advocate. I was the biggest advocate for sing Conturres because my philosophy on baseball is score as many runs as possible. Who gives a shit about defense sometimes, But at the end of the day, Stallings will be the best defensive catcher. And like Arham said, you know, going from watching Sandy Leone and Jorgel Farrow and whoever else they were thrown out there at the plate to watching Jacob Stallings will still be a massive improvement. Even if he's not the greatest offensive catcher that we've ever seen. Ninety five way to runs great A plus is more than enough for what he's going to provide defensively.
Speaker 1: So I kind of was sour on the move at first.
Speaker 4: Because I really thought they should move for Contraras.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, it is a really good move for them.
Speaker 4: But for me, it's not an addition that they made that's the best move of the off season.
Speaker 1: It was locking up Sandy al Contra.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: This guy is a certified ace. I mean, he what he did last year. He put himself as you know, everybody's sexy pick is a dark horse to win Cy Young. Win the Cy Young next year. This guy's a force on the hill. You know, went out there. He told us before the season. You know, I was in those spring training press conferences and he talked about two hundred innings, two hundred innings. I want to throw two hundred innings, and he left no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: You know, he was going seven eight nine strong.
Speaker 4: There were games he lost a game where he lost a complete game because it was nothing, nothing, and he let up a run with two outs in the eighth inning. He threw a two thirds and loss. So yeah, that was the kind of season it was for the Marlins this year. But he was just stunning. And I really think as much as they went in on avasjol Garcia, they went in on Stallings, they went in on Wendel. They're probably going to do more business after the break, you know, after the lockout. I think the biggest thing that says that, okay, like we're actually trying to win here, for me at least, was locking up Sandy and saying that this is this is going to be our guy for five seven, you know how, or many years of control they have him for now, and we're going to build our team around him. Because they've made it clear they're going to build a team around pitching. And I think it's a good strategy because they've shown that they're just going to keep replenishing. You know, like, yes, trading Kyle Nicholas for a lot of organizations that would be a loss, but they're just gonna keep drafting.
Speaker 1: They're going to keep signing.
Speaker 4: I fase they're going to keep and and they they've shown they can do it. Nobody should doubt their ability to develop pitching because they're going to do it well. So their organization be based on pitching. This is one of the brightest young starters in the National League. I think that was a huge vote of conf you know, the fans should feel very confident about what they did in terms of this was a big move to say we actually are trying to win here. They have to make a lot of other moves before they win. A lot of the fan base back over. I know that for sure, and you know, all reports are that they're still going to be busy following the lockout. But I thought that was a really big first step. And after that it was followed by trading for Stallings, signing Garcia, trading for Wendel, which I thought were three good additions.
Speaker 1: They could have made better ones, but I think they will in the future.
Speaker 4: So I think it kind of kicked off their off season and I think that was the thing that was at the top of their priority list, and then offense comes next, and so I think that.
Speaker 1: Was the best move they made so far.
Speaker 2: And I love Sandy. I mean you you guys have heard me blush about them. He was one of the four pitchers last year to throw over to her one hundred innings. I mean, his fastballs electric, He's just got moxie. And I say it about guys specifically because when I see it, I see it, and he's one of those guys. We talked about it briefly. But another great move that the Marlins made, non tendering Lewis Brinson and trading Orgil Farrow, that.
Speaker 4: Was moving on. That was I couldn't believe they pulled that off. And the way they pulled that off is because I don't know if they planted Curvelli and the Padres organization so that they could tell get him to convince whatever. I don't know how they pulled it off even for I think it was like a player to be named later, but.
Speaker 2: I don't care what his name is. It was a good trade and again moving right exactly really good enough. Yeah, Theres got a really good left fielder and shot and.
Speaker 4: Moorhel who knows, who knows what he what kind of potential he is, But I mean, yeah, just moving on from those guys was enough. And and just even getting competency at the plate at the catcher position and should provide a big boost to the offense because that eight spot, I mean, it was ugly this year. It was ugly, and it made a lot of their games. They were not a very watchable product this year. It was really hard to watch them at times when Sandy wasn't pitching, or when Trevor wasn't pitching, it was really hard to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there are some positives, and we just went over some positives. But again, there are some negatives in arum. There has been one specific deal that you really really don't like, like not even a little bit. What is that move?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm like probably a little bit too much of a complainer on the avy Garcia deal, just because four years fifty three million like to most to you, Peter, like you'd probably be like, Okay, that's fine whatever.
Speaker 2: Like it's the Yankees, I wouldn't care.
Speaker 3: You don't care about four fifty three, but four fifty three for the Marlins wild too.
Speaker 2: It's a long time. It's a long time.
Speaker 3: And avy Garcia has never produced back to back seasons of a WRC plus above one hundred. He's only had two seasons with an OPS over eight hundred. There's a lot of concerning metrics. The one thing that I will say that is encouraging is that he didn't benefit from Milwaukee as much as people would think. Like you look at the numbers and you like conventional thinking would be, oh, we got the boost from what used to be Miller Park and now is an American family field. In fact, though if you look at the splits, they're consistent. If you look at Baseball Savants expected home runs, twenty six of his twenty nine homers would have been gone at Marlins Park. That is encouraging. So maybe the Marlins really feel like he figured something out. The exit vgos were the higher, the highest they've ever been. There's a lot of good things there to point towards him maybe being closer to what he was last year. I just think four years fifty three, with what's still out there in the market, how much more money would have Nick Casiano spent. And I'm not the most excited in the world about the idea of Nick casianas, but he's more proven, I think than Garcia and the Miami guy. Yeah, and he's he's a South Florida guy like how And remember that the Marlins were a team that in twenty nineteen when Avi Garcia signed for two years twenty million, I believe they were priced out. They preferred to go seventeen and a half million to Corey Dickerson, and all the reports were the Marlins dock Garcia was a bit too steep So how was he a bit too steep there? I know he had a huge season which kind of changed things, but did he really double more than double his value, almost triple his value from the last time you saw him in twenty nineteen. Like to me, it reeks of a little bit of desperation, And I agree the Marlins are desperate, but I don't know if this move made sense pre lockout.
Speaker 2: They could have waited. Post lockout.
Speaker 3: Garcia probably still would have been there, and Cassianos Confordo, like you got a lot of dudes out there, Schwarber that I.
Speaker 2: Think are all in that ballpark.
Speaker 3: Casiano's probably closer to seventy five to eighty, but still, I mean, I think they're all still in that realm.
Speaker 2: And it was a little bit of a force.
Speaker 3: But no matter, what makes the offense better, And that's the thing I'm trying to, you know, keep my eyes on, right, is the offense is better, But it really depends on what they do next.
Speaker 2: And I think another oh no, sorry, I'm just gonna say another move that they made, and I want you again to touch on the Avasil Garcia signing, But another move they made four more offense was acquiring Joey Wendell from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for outfield prospect Cameron Meisner, and you know, on at least Marlin's Twitter where I was just tracking it, it seemed like an okay move to me. But we've also talked about Cameron Meiser as a guy who has a lot of upside and it feels like, you know, if he goes over to Tampa, they might turn him into Willie Mays or something like that. But yeah, that's so give me your thoughts on the Avasil Garcia and then of course the Joey Wendele I position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll start with Aviseo because I just don't want to forget what I was thinking about, which is that Aram mentioned it. Yes, it's a little bit of desperation, but the Marlins are desperate, and selfishly, as a person who watches a lot of you know, covers the team, I want to see more offense and I can't watch that same kind of offense last year, And so personally, you know, I think that if they're going to overpay a little bit for offense, it's not the worst thing in the world because they need it so desperately. You know, and and I think that it also kind of signals to the fans, hey, we're willing to spend a little bit more than we might have to if this is gonna make the offense better. So I think it was a fairly good move. I think they could have gone better, Like I was. I'm a big Castianos advocate. Who knows if they still go out and get Castianos when the lockout is over. But on the Wendel deal, yeah, you know a lot of people like really freaked out about trading Meisner and trading Meisner to Tampa and specific specifically, you can't be afraid of trading guys to the race, Like you just can't, Like it's so stupid, Like the Rays win every trade until they don't, you know what I mean, Like they didn't win the Jake cron and Work trade. They trade great Jake crone Worth. He's a great player. So they're they're they're gonna trade good players. They're gonna acquire players that you might not think are very good and turn them into good players. But they also might not. And you can't afraid of trading with an organization if it's going to make your team better. And Wendell makes the team better.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: You know, Meisner look had a really good finish to last season. I'm pretty high on him, but a lot of question marks. There a lot of question marks, and they have outfield talent ahead of him. They're going to sign outfield talent. It looks like that's where they really look to be upgrading. And the thing that Wendell does is in the same way that Stallings Bumps Leone and whoever else was hidden in catcher position. But yeah, I just think Wendell makes their lineup a lot deeper and adds that depth that you're looking for. You know, it's going to be a huge boost to them to have him filling up, filling in when Jazz has some bumps and bruises, when Rojas has some bumps and bruises, which happened a few times this year. You know, Rojas played through an injured finger for a lot of the year because you know, he's he's the man, and he knew that if he would out not out there, what was behind him basically, and so you know, having Wendell fill in, I just think it it was a nice I was it was unexpected totally. I didn't expect them. I was hoping that they would add in field depth. I thought that a guy like Josh Harrison would be a really nice signing for them.
Speaker 2: But this is basically like signing Josh Harrison.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe Harrison's a little bit better offensively, But I like this pick up a lot for them because it just they need depth, Like they need that.
Speaker 2: Bottom of the roster to really improve.
Speaker 4: It got gave them nothing last year, Like the bottom of the roster. That gave them anything was Brian day La Cruz because he became the starting center fielder after the deadline. That was all they really got, like from a position you know, below off the bench or anything.
Speaker 2: So I think that.
Speaker 4: Really, if you know this is this is a good move. He was so versatile with the Rays. He's gonna be very versatile off the bench for them. And it's just making the team better and doing things to make the team better and having to pay a price, right, like Meisner, that's a pretty high price all things considered, but they're again they're willing to pay that price. That should encourage Marlins fans because I'm done with prospect hugging. I'm done with it. I know, we love our prospects on the show. I've been doing it for too long and it's time to start making some moves.
Speaker 1: And I like them being aggressive here.
Speaker 2: And I feel like that sentiment is pretty shared across Marlins fans. Arm do you think the price for Wende was too high or no?
Speaker 3: I think it's a really good question because I think these two things can be mutually exclusive, which was it's weird that they decided to trade a bat right, Like, at the end of the day, I would way rather trade any arm aside from the premiere arms. So if we're talking like middling, but I think it was Meisner or like a Dax Fulton, right, And at that point, Dax Fulton's nineteen lefty really dynamic, has more upside. You're probably going to opt keep Fulton even though you have more arms. Judging by the way the Rays are they love athletic outfielders. I'm guessing that for them it was like, if you're not going to trade us one of your main guys, we want Meisner and there's not much else we want. And I'm assuming they probably asked about Berdick and Burdick was a no go. So the Marlins didn't have that much wiggle room outside of there. And if they're like, you want to upgrade your infield, you want to get a guy that is as impactful as Wendel, like, you got to give something up, and we don't really want any of your middle of the pack arms. We don't really want any of those guys. So I'm assuming that's kind of how it went down. And unfortunately sometimes you got to give to get. And that's why I'm okay if you're upgrading the big league roster. To me, there's no price that's too ridiculous, unless obviously it's the craziest lopside to trade.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 3: I would have preferred to go with an arm, but I can understand how things shake out. You have to go, you know, with a bat there, and Meisner is extremely volatile, wide range of outcomes, and you know, we could see anything happening. But as Ethan said, to get the boost there I think is huge. One of the thing that I think is really interesting though, is I don't think the Marlins part with Cameron Meisner unless the plan is for Joey Wendall to get four hundred and fifty plus play appearances. And I really do wonder what this means for Brian Anderson's long term future. I do have a question as to whether this means. It doesn't necessarily mean next year could be the year after that. I'm just saying I think that there is some questions there. Kim Ang has been very noncommittal about Brian Anderson. We know that his camp has not been thrilled about that. That's been reported by Craig Mission, the Miami Herold and Barry Jackson. Like, I don't think anything's bad with their relationship, but I don't think things are rosy and clear, and I don't think I think they've discussed an extension, right, So I would venture to say that I don't think Wendell is for sure not going to start there. Like I think you could get a lot of run at third base, and I think we could see him rotating all over, but I wouldn't be surprised. So I think it's going to be a really interesting thing. But one other thought on Wendell real quick, guys, because I think you're going to find this really interesting, and this is in the piece that I'm put that would be out by the time you're listening to this on Just Baseball dot Com. About what to look for for them. Mar On on the other side of the lockout, You guys, remember what happened with Willia Domas post trade about just how bad he was at trop and how he blew up and how he just started raking, which again is kind of a trade where the Rays didn't really come out winners.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Joey Wendell last year at Tropic Cannafield two fifteen, two seventy three, three point fifteen two home runs a sixty nine WRC plus. Joey Wendell on the Road three eleven, three sixty one five nineteen nine home runs a one thirty eight WRC plus. We know that some players are really impacted by Tropic Cannafield.
Speaker 2: I mean Willia Domas was trying.
Speaker 3: To to play with with uh, like weird lenses that would like change the light for him.
Speaker 2: Joey Wendle can be even remotely close to that road.
Speaker 3: Joey Wendell like, that's that's a guy that needs to be playing a lot, like four days a week.
Speaker 2: I love that. The Only problem is in Miami at least. I mean, it's a it's a grave yard. It's just such an enormous park. So it's not like he's going from Tampa Bay to Milwaukee where it's incredibly easy to hit. He's going into another really tough pitchers park. So before excuse me, you can just hear it in my voice. I'm still invasive mode. I'm yeah. So if I'm just saying stupid shit, it's because I've averaged three hours of sleep for the last four nights. So bear with me here. Need a little bit of a cough, But I'm back and we're talking baseball again. Before we get in and start playing Kim Nang's role as the general manager and start making some additions to this team, I want to check the pulse of Kim Nang's checkbook because the Marlins have came out and said that they want to spend. But it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to be like, oh, yeah, the Marlins will give Carlos kra three hundred million dollars because you know they could need an upgrade short But they did extend Miguel Rojas two years ten million, so that's probably gonna be the starting short stop in twenty twenty two. But give me some kind of arm, give me some expectations for this offseason after the lockout, Like, how much money do you think Kim NaN's gonna spend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, that's the other thing is it seems like they've got another Avey Garcia type deal in them, which is fascinating to me because I'd almost rather go big on one deal and then trade for another. Seems like they're kicking the tires on a Schwarber, they're kicking the tires on a Castianos, but are prepared to be priced out of those deals. So that kind of tells me they're looking forty to fifty million range. I'm more of the belief of making an impact trade for a bat and then maybe just spending a little extra on the bullpen. I'm not normally a big proponent of spending on the bullpen, but if you go trade for a bat, maybe you go give Kenley Jansen two years thirty five million dollars. That's that's palatable if you don't really spend elsewhere. And I mean, Jansen's numbers were insane last year. We'll get to the bullpen, but I think you're in a weird middling range right now, and it would only really make sense if they were ponying up for Marte unless it's Schwarber or maybe Castianos. I don't really see a reason for them to stretch themselves out because I think they're going to be really in that forty to sixty million range. I don't see them going any further than that.
Speaker 2: You know, I had a lot of people that advocated.
Speaker 4: I saw a lot of people advocating for signing a guy like Seeger Correa, you know, one of the bigger names on the market that was never in play, that never should have really been in play.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think that.
Speaker 4: The Texas Rangers are gonna suddenly be like a great team because they threw a bunch of money at Seeger and Simon, you know what I mean. Like, I don't necessarily think the Tigers are going to be a great team because they're suddenly they have Hobby or Bayaz, you know what I mean. Like they're basically the Tiger I think they they sign who Rodriguez, thank you? Like, I don't think that they're any better. They're basically the Tigers from last year with Hobby Bayaz and Eduardo Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: Right, So, I don't you know, if if.
Speaker 4: The Marlins spend all their money in one place, they're basically the Marlins from last year with Seeger or with Carreer or with whoever, right, But they do have, like Arham mentioned, trade pieces, and so I think that they you know, I think they're gonna make one more big free agent signing and and I guess we'll get, I'll get I'll save for later who I think it's gonna be. And and but they could make another trade. They totally could. I mean when I when I yeah, I think they will too. When I came into the off season, you know, my ideal off season for them was I think it was like trade for uh contrarast signed Casiano's trade for or like trade for Reynolds. I think they can get too impact outfielders via trade or via free agency they already got. I think, you know, Sao might not be the biggest name, but I think he's gonna be an impact outfielder for them, and then they can still do it through trade or free agency. And I think this goes to Arm's point that he just made a little while ago. I've been making this point all day with the Rams, and this is a bit of a weird comparison, but I think it holds steady. There's no price that you shouldn't pay for upgrading quarterback right The Rams just showed that up with upgrading Matt Stafford. There's no price that the Marlins right now should not pay to significantly upgrade their offense. And whether that's be a trade going and getting a guy like Brian Reynolds catel Marte, you know, unless you're like literally auctioning off your future and trading like Uri and Max and Salas and Watson all in one deal, then there is no price this team should not pay to really upgrade this offense. Because I do think that with this pitching staff, they're that close to being a playoff contender. Maybe not necessarily a World Series contender, because they'll have to make a bunch of refinements down the roster, but if they just add a little bit more offense, they're knocking on the playoff door for sure. And it's only going to take one or two more acquisitions after the deadline to get them there.
Speaker 2: And I was going to ask you guys, all right, so where are the positions of need? Where should we attack? And it's fairly obvious we're attacking this offense. They don't need to add a starting pitcher. They've got like nine of them. To your point, I think they do need to add to the bullpen, but I don't think you need to go really crazy. I mean, dude, you just go through. I know in high leverage situations. You guys were actually texting me that. And that's that's why I'm having guys like you on because you look at the bullpen seventh in Eri, sixth and fifth, but in high leverage situations they actually weren't that great. So I agree, add to the bullpen, but I don't think they have to go crazy. But we need to say this, Peter, Yeah, go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm not a huge believer in like the kurree H steal that just he got just God or the Hendrix Steel or whatever, like all these big money bullpen deals. But I was watching, you know, I was covering that Giant's Dodgers series for us, right and I'm watching them them pitch, and when it gets to the end of the game and you face trying in and Canable and Jansen, you have no fucking chance, Okay, And it's it's a different games. It was a different game from the game the Marlins were playing. Because they everybody out there in the playoffs was sending in guys that were throwing high heat with big breaking stuff, and I really liked doing Floroh a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't you know.
Speaker 4: He was pretty good for them in high leverage situations this year. He finished the year as the closer because they moved on from a lot of guys and he was pretty good.
Speaker 1: But they could not find a solid closing option all year long. It was a huge issue for them.
Speaker 4: And I just think that if you can get a guy that has some power stuff like a Jansen, you know, somebody that's going to come in to the back end and throw big time heat and a big breaking ball up there, again, I would I would pay for it.
Speaker 2: I think Jansen would be a great option for them.
Speaker 4: But also they have a lot of guys in house that I think they could move to the pen.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not ready to.
Speaker 4: Move like a Meyer or anybody like that to the pen, but I think there's a couple guys that we'll talk about when we get to the bullpen that they can move that can really make them better at the back end of the bullpen because they do have power stuff in the system.
Speaker 2: So Ethan. I have a question for you because I mentioned on the last podcast it might have been last week where and it wasn't an indictment on Max Meyer. It was more thinking that with the surplux of seven eight arms all really solid guys, even with six do Sanchez. I know he's still dealing with injuries, but he's at least going to get another shot in that rotation, and you should do you think it's palatable if Max Meyer were to come up, because he's got two pitches that are MLB ready already, like the fastball slaughter combination, filthy, would it make sense to put him in a Michael Kopek type role just to start really just get the wheels turning on Max Meyer, see really what you got, and then you could kind of, you know, play it by Let's say he never really develops a third pitch, and I'm not saying that that could happen, but it could happen. Maybe the change up doesn't actually form into anything, and then he's maybe your closer, maybe Michael Kumbec. But then let's say he does develop that change up and then you can move him into the starting rotation. Does that make sense to put him in a copec type bullpenroll, not a seventh inning.
Speaker 4: Guy, absolutely, and they haven't been inclined to do that necessarily. They really want their guys to come up as starters, like they've tried with Jordan Holloway for so long, and Jordan Holloway is he's not that good, but he he's got power stuff, you know, and I think they should try and move him, like, you know, he's one of the guys that they could easily flex back there.
Speaker 2: But if they're in.
Speaker 4: Playoff contention, like you know, come come July September or August September. You know, if they're in playoff contention, or even if they get into get in and and Meyer's sitting there and you've got three or four guys locking down the rotation spots, you know, like if Eddie steps up, if six still comes back and you know finds form, which I know Arham is very very not sure about, but you know, if they lock in, like you know, they've got the three as long as Pablo stays health, as long as they stay healthy, they've got the three. If they find a fourth guy for the playoffs, then now you're looking at Meyer could make a huge impact. By coming up into the bullpen, and there's no room for him in their rotation. Right, So I absolutely think, like I've thought about this before, he's I know they're gonna try and make him a starter long term, and I think he can be a starter long term. But absolutely, if they're in playoff contention and they need a boost to the bullpen, there is no reason not to just give it a shot.
Speaker 2: If he has a.
Speaker 4: Good year in TRIPLELA this year, bring him up, put him into the pen. Now you've got a you know, pretty big fastball and a wipeout slider, you know, maybe the best pitching all of Minor league baseball coming up. And I think that could be a very good Yeah, I think that could be a very good option for them.
Speaker 2: All Right, gentlemen, let's upgrade the offense. Let's do it. Is Brian Reynolds available. Arm I know it's basically impossible because the pirates have come on and said you're gonna have to give up everything. But from talking with you both, you're both willing to kind of give up everything. You know, let's finally trade the farm. We have this young starting rotation that's just budding and starting pitching wins championships, and if you can add an impact bat like Brian Reynolds, maybe an overpay would be worth it. So arm Brian Reynolds, what would a trade package look like if if you think they would even do it, because we can also talk to Tell Marte too, because he actually is palatable in a trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marte is someone I think who's attainable.
Speaker 2: Obviously. Reynolds.
Speaker 3: The fact that the Pirates like replied back with Julio Rodriguez, and I think it's a little bit of posturing. I also think it's it shows that they're listening to somewhat of a degree. The Marlins are gonna have to blow them out of the water with an offer. But I think it's clear after the Jacob Stallings deal that the Marlins have ongoing, you know, conversations with the Pirates, and the Marlins are a team that likes to trade with like the same teams always, so I could I could really envision.
Speaker 2: Pirates more than anything, and the Marlins have sixty of them, so I mean, it does make sense out of any team, if not the Mariners, it's the Marlins.
Speaker 3: I'd give them everything, dude, Like, I don't really care like I like, and I feel like Marlins fans might be upset about that, but but really, at this point, you're playing to to win in the next few years. The Marlins rotation is set up to where it's going to be sustainable.
Speaker 2: For a long time.
Speaker 3: So what are we what are we hoarding pitching prospects for here when Brian Reynolds could be one of the best fielders in baseball very soon, Like he's on his way to being that. He's controllable. He allows you you go trade for Reynolds. You still got capital financially now to maybe go get a chance and to go make other moves. You have financial flexibility moving forward, Like it's beyond just what you give up prospect wise. I see people wanting to hold on to Max Meyer and things like that. But Max Meyer is really good. He dominated through double A with two dominant not even two dominant. One dominant pitch, which is a spider as fastball actually got hit pretty well. I like the things we saw at the end of the year, But like, there's a legitimate question of where's the third pitch. Let's see if it develops, if there's any if on a prospect, you should be okay with trading him for an Impact All Star, Brian Reynolds's Impact All Star. I would trade Meyer and Watson in two seconds. In two seconds, and I think it would take another piece from there, and Marlins fans like, you can let me know I'm crazy. You can tweet Amy later like that's fine. But the way I look at it is Khalil Watson right, like he's going to be up there in what three years, four years, probably closer to three and a half. And you're hoping that he sticks it short stop, which is more likely that he doesn't than he does. You're hoping that the bat will continue to develop, which I think it should. You're hoping that he can overcome some of the you know, makeup and character concerns that have really clouded his draft value in draft stock that had him swept to sixteenth in the draft. Like you're hoping for a lot of things there from Meyer, You're hoping that the change up develops. You're hoping for a few other things with other prospects. I could play that same game with Brian Reynolds. You're hoping for nothing. You're hoping that he doesn't have a catastrophic injury knock on wood that derails his career because he's already shown you what he can do and he gets better every single year.
Speaker 2: Like that's the psychology.
Speaker 3: That's a place you need to get to as a fan, I think to try to be able to digest these trades. I mean, the Marlins fans are traumatized a little bit because the way the trades have gone the other way. But like Yelich, yeah yeah, but like think about it that way, think about it that way, right, Like we were excited to see the halls coming in, the halls that were coming in for some of those impact players, and those halls went to shit, Like you have to be okay with it. Sometimes at the end of the day, you're trading volatility for a blue chip stock, I'm trading you a bunch of penny stocks, higher end penny stocks. Maybe sometimes because some of these guys are really good. But if you're able to hold onto Uri Perez and you're able to hold on to some of your other guys, like this system is still loaded with dude, you trade Max Meyer away. You have a young rotation that's guys that are just graduated from being prospects. You have still Dax Fulton, you have youry Perez, you have Zach mccambley, like, you still have tons of arms, still more arms than most minor league systems.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with it.
Speaker 5: And you also have a top six pick, right they pick six in this upcoming draft, like they're gonna replenish. I would make any offer possible that the Pirates are willing to hear, and that would transcend into some other targets.
Speaker 2: Too, Ethan's that's my thing. Go ahead, So I have an offer. I have an offer, so I want to throw it at you to kind of get the ball rolling again. So I came up with something for Brian Reynolds. I'm trading away Khalil Watson. I'm trading away Max Meyer, I'm trading away Edward Cabrera, and I'm all so giving them Jake Eaeder. Okay, So is that too much?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't I wouldn't touch. I'm not touching the major league rotation right now. Personally, I'm not because if you also deplenished the minor leagues, like you're you're diplenishing the minor leagues, Like if you're trading Meyer for me, at least you're doing it because you know you've got it locked down in the major leagues, right, But they should consider it. I mean, they should really think about it. And it's for this reason we just talked about it. There should be no price. They really should be no price. They aren't willing to pay for a significant upgraded offense. And one fun fact here is that I think Barry Jackson, it was either Barrier.
Speaker 2: Craig Mischer reported this is.
Speaker 4: That they could have had Brian Reynolds a long time ago because there was a deal in place with the Giants for John Carlo Stanton that got vetoed because stant had a no trade clause that involved Brian Renat. So the Marlins have been after Brian Reynolds for a long time. And this is I mean, this is the guy. Like I think they need an everyday centerfielder. They need a locked down a guy that's gonna lock it down. This is the guy. He plays good defense out there, and he's a great hitter. He is one of the more underrated hitters in the league. I think this offseason, after such a great year, he's finally getting all that attention from around the league.
Speaker 1: He is one of the great hitters in the league and he makes them instantly better. Like, if there's one guy that they can trade for this offseason, I think that can make them a playoff contender. I himself, it's Brian Reynolds.
Speaker 4: With the other moves that they've made so far, Casianos, they need some bullpen help, you know this, They need some whatever. If they trade for Brian Reynolds, I think they are on the door right there, because I think he would bring that much of an impact to the team.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, no, sorry, go ahead, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 4: My thing is, I do think they're gonna get priced out because the Pirates asking price is insane.
Speaker 2: But I'll say this, if I'm.
Speaker 4: The Marlin and they call with Meyer and Khalil Watson and a couple other guys down the line, I'll probably say yes. It would be hard, but I'd probably say yes. And I'm gonna say I'll have a take here that you guys can put on the make a little Instagram picture for love that I'm trading Khalil Watson before I'm trading Jose Salas. If I'm the Marlins, I am really really high on Jose Sawas because I've seen like what he did in the Complex League this year. That's what like the best hitters in minor league baseball due to the Complex League. He absolutely tore it to shreds and he had a pretty nice start. Once he got to Jupiter in low A, he put up some pretty good numbers all things considered.
Speaker 2: He's like eighteen or nineteen years old.
Speaker 4: I people get laugh at me all they want. I'm really high on Sawas they need a guy. They don't really have a third basement in the system. They have some more athletic guys up the middle, and they have Jazz and Mickey Roe for few years up the middle there. I really think that they should keep focus on keeping Solace over keeping Watson, because I'm really high on that guy. But again, if you know, if you're telling me trade both, maybe I'm saying no. But if you're taking one of the two of them and Meyer or Eater, I would probably, you know, I would probably send it in because they have to they have to make if they can get that guy, they got to do it.
Speaker 2: So arm you you cringed at that offer. It was a fat one. It was a one. It was a fat one. That package gets you almost every player, any player in baseball. That's right, and that that just goes to show like what I think Brian Reynolds is, like he's one of the best outfielders in baseball. Like he's an impact bat immediately. And when I'm looking at those individual players, the ranked very highly. But Khalil Watson fell in the draft. Remember he was a top five guy who fell to the middle of the first round because there was reasons why Edward Cabrera in his first stint and big leagues were not giving up on him. He's got too much of a luod stuff. But he had a five point eight one e er. That was just the reality of it. You said it yourself about Max Meyer. He has one pitch right now, I would say the fastball, you know, it was still pretty good. But I mean you said to yourself one guy and then Jake Eater, who has shown that he can he can pitch pretty well, good solid lefty. But I don't think like when you go through them all individually and you'd be getting Brian Reynolds, is it that crazy to trade those four? It is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely all right, go off. Then Jake Eater was one of the best pitchers in Double A this past year. Before going down with Tommy John. I mean one seven seven, l right, he was the best South pot of the whole draft. If you redrafted it, he'd probably go top ten.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I just Edward like, yeah, he struggled. He walked nineteen guys in like twenty seven innings. That's something to watch for sure. I think the Watson stuff's valid. I think if you go Meyer wattson, would you go Meyer Watson eater Ethan? Would you do that for uh? Meyer Watson and Eater for Reynolds? Yeah, Marlins fans are freaking out right now, they would be freaking I mean I would talk myself into it eventually, because again I'm sick and tired of prospect hugging.
Speaker 4: But you know, when you hear it, it's like holy fuck, Like but like three top prospects, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Would the pirates say yes, Yeah, that's the thing. Like they're asking for Rodriguez and we're talking about an overpay here. I mean, are we gonna do the dealer? Were not? They? They?
Speaker 4: You know, they they they have to take it, Like if they don't take it, they're done. They have to because you're getting too probably frontline starters. Uh, you know, two potential frontline starters and a guy with in Watson who has huge upside.
Speaker 2: Even know if those three get the deal done though.
Speaker 4: But I don't even know either, because they're being really stubborn about this. They have every right to be really stubborn. Right, He's got really good four or five years of control. He's really good, he's young, he's everything you can ask for, you know, like that's why that's why the Marlins, that's why the Marlins should be after him as much as they can.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, you know, look, if they you guys, they're gonna freak. They're gonna freak.
Speaker 4: But again, this is what I'll say, Peter, is we talked about how they're m talked about how they're just gonna replenish. Right, that's just what they're gonna keep doing. They're just gonna find another Meyer eater whoever they trade exactly shown the ability.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 4: And you know, it might sound ridiculous that they're just gonna magically find another Max Meyer. No, they they turned up freaking Zach Thompson had a good year.
Speaker 2: Last year, the top forty prospects in baseball. URI's a stud.
Speaker 4: They have a lot they're gonna keep They're just gonna keep loan up. Dude, They're not gonna stop. They're getting cash. They're gonna do it in the draft. They're gonna do it however they want to do it. They're gonna develop pitching no matter what they do.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So I agree about it.
Speaker 3: I agree, But that doesn't mean like just just go nuts like I won the lotteries.
Speaker 2: Pay a million dollars for a sandwich.
Speaker 4: But if you take out Cabrera, Pete, if you take out Cabrera, I would probably do it because I'm not touching the If I'm trading away the two top pitchers, I'm not. You can't get me to touch the major league rotation because those are the guys that are supposed to come in for them.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Mean, I think that's totally fair. But I think you're maybe lower on Edward Cabrera than Yeah, that's that's I think that's where I was coming from for me, and because you have nine of them, like I think he's a Arto could be great, like the Eliet'ser Hernandez. There's so many guys who I thought, Okay, if if Edward came up and six though, is still coming. If Edward came up and he was electric, then I'm like, all right, well no, but he was like kind of horrible, like straight up not good. I'm not saying that it's indicative of his future success, but like he just wasn't good.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you what it reminded me of. It reminded me of when Sandy first came up on it. Yeah, he got three rocked an he had all that, he had this big time stuff, and he got knocked around.
Speaker 1: He wasn't really locating like he did in the minors.
Speaker 2: You know, he was.
Speaker 4: Demoted people out, But there were some there were some good signs, Like there was one game where he struk a a bunch of guys out. There were still some good, some flashes. And you saw that with Sandy when he was young. I mean Sandy even his first year in Miami, he wasn't striking anybody out really And and you're right on the first year he was in the Marlins system, he went up from New Orleans, they sent him back down at the end of the year. Then the next year he finally stuck for the whole year.
Speaker 2: He was then he was current Sandy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he he just kind of like hung around and then something clicked. I think with Cabrera it might be that same kind of thing. I'm I'm really high on that guy. You know, he's got it, He's got.
Speaker 2: Here's here's my final offer. Here's my final offer.
Speaker 3: Max Meyer, you know, Max Meyer, Khalil and Eliezer send.
Speaker 4: It in in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, what would you rather have Jake Eater or Elia s or Hernandez? Because I don't know if they would take Yeah, I don't think they So you're even lowering the trade now or I'm like.
Speaker 4: If you're the Marlins, if you're the Marlins, I'm looking for ways to move Eliezer immediately.
Speaker 2: I was begging for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was begging for that on the Lockdown Marlins podcast, Like it was a long time ago. I was trying to before last season. I was trying to trade him. But where else could you go? Like you could go get katl and and that's a lesser of the.
Speaker 2: Package gets it. Let's talk about coateel Marte then, because you know it's gonna it's gonna take the entire farm and maybe we're not totally comfortable with that. But if the Marlins could actually have a great offseason. Let's say they trade for Katel Marte, you signed Nick Costianos, and you signed Kenley Jansen. We're talking about the Miami Marlins right because the Phillies need to add and they haven't, you know, I mean, their roster looks, you know, kind of grim right now. We think the Mets will be better, but sometimes the Mets will be the Mets. The Braves if they don't sign Freddy Freeman. I mean, they're still going to be really good, but you know, there's there's some issues there. I mean, I still think the Braves are the prohibitive favorite in this division. I still love the Brave Saucer. I still think they're going to sign Freddy Freeman. But the reality of the fact is if they don't, that's they're losing their best player besides ronal ccunu Junr. So what would a trade for Kudel Marte look like? Arm and go ahead, Armor arm mates when I asked, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, god, I really It's funny because I've always been more open to trading Meyer than I think the average Marlins fan is too. And I've let got to give to get, gotta give to get I would I would deal Meyer in a situation here for Marte. I think you know, I would feel pretty confident that you can extend Marte too should he come and he comes with control, but you could probably extend beyond that. I think you could give up something similar to the package, but not quite as much. I think you could hold on to Watson if you're giving up a Meyer, I think you only have to give up one front front, front end guy. But you could do like a Meyer, a Hernandez and an Eater, or like a Meer Hernandez and somebody else. And I think he gets it done because he doesn't have as much control. He's a little bit of a guy that's been banged up through the years. I think that impacts his value with Tad. He doesn't quite have that prowess defensively in center field, which does concern me a little bit. But as I laid out in the article two that you can check out, is that I think the Onements have made it clear that they don't really care about the outfield defense and they're gonna do whatever it takes to upgrade the offense, which I'm okay with you upgraded defensively with Joey Wendel in the fold. You upgraded at catcher, you still have Rojasage short Jastism is only going to be better at second base. The defense is maybe a little bit of a liability, but I'm cool with it if you're upgrading offensively. So maybe that is splitting time in center field between Marte and Garcia and just just kind of doing a little bit of an outfield rotation out there. But I don't know if I would give up for Marte because of the control compared to some other guys. I probably wouldn't give up much more than like a Meyer and and Eliezer and then one other of those Eater types or Fulton types.
Speaker 2: Does this get it done? Max Meyer? And six Dos Sanchez for for Cantel Marte. Does that get it done?
Speaker 4: You're getting dangerous here, man, Marlins fins are going to be after You're good.
Speaker 2: Send it all to me. I'm trying to win now, Miami. Do not come from Max Meyer. No, listen, dude, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 4: I love Cantel Marte like he's one of my favorite players across the league. And I said it earlier. Score a bunch of runs. Who gives a shit about defense, right, throw him in center field. He's done it. He's been serviceable. I mean he's not great, but fuck it, do it. You need to.
Speaker 1: Score runs and and and and.
Speaker 4: Pr Your starters are going to be striking everybody out anyway, right, So who can so around balls?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And ground balls. And he got pretty good infield defense too, you know what I mean. So I just think go especially with Sandy. I mean, Sandy, you know, the balls on the ground the whole game. But I just think that this is like I personally think that if they go for a trade in center field, they're gonna get priced out on Reynolds and they're gonna go for Marte. I think that's kind of what's gonna happen. And I would love to see k Tell Marte in a Marlins uniform. I think he would provide a huge impact for them. I mean, his numbers are so freaking good man. You look at his numbers, like, you know that he had one hundred and forty nine way to runs grade plus in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: That was the year.
Speaker 4: He was an also a three twenty nine down year in twenty twenty, but still had ninety four rad to runs graded plus throw twenty twenty out the window anyway, and he had one hundred and thirty nine way to run straight. Plus he only played ninety games last year and he had a nine to nine ops. The dude just hits, and I think he would fit really well in you into that locker room, into that lineup, and just bring him play with some flair and Miami would fall in love with this guy. And they messed up with They got it wrong with one Marte right, Like they should have paid that guy if they made the offer they made him in free agency at the trade deadline, he's still in a Marlin uniform like.
Speaker 2: He should be. They got it wrong with one Marte.
Speaker 4: If they have to, if they don't go for Reynolds, they should not get it wrong with this Marte. I really think that this should be a strong option for them, and they should really really look into trading for Kiteo Marte.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, and I've warmed up to him more the more I realized that the Marlins. Well, once I heard the Marlins are kicking the tires on Avy Garcia and centerfield, I was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, screw it.
Speaker 3: Just just throw Catel out there right like, Okay, if we don't care that much about defense, throw Garcia or throw Marte out there. And what I will say too is I just think you know that there's more of an importance on like a fourth outfielder defensively, Brian, you know, Brian Delacruez something like that, to be to make strides out there defensively.
Speaker 2: The d Backs don't need Marte.
Speaker 3: He's not going to play the outfield for them because they've got Alec Thomas coming up centerfielder. They got Corby and Carroll coming up centerfielder, so both those guys are gonna play really good outfield. So Marte would be moving to second. If you're a team that's still far from contending and could cash in and get impact impacts prospects for your second basement, why the hell wouldn't you trade him. The Marlins again, have that history of trading with the Dbacks. They've done it on multiple occasions. I mean, this makes the most sense. You don't have to make the trades that we presented that would make Marlins fans vomit. For Brian Reynolds, you might be able to even pull off a deal without Jake or without Max Meyer. If you give up more pieces, right, Like, you could go DA's Fulton, Jake Eater and a few other guys, and the d Backs may prefer a package of five solid prospects or four really solid prospects, and the Marlins might be able to pull that off.
Speaker 2: I know they prefer not to trade any of their main main prospects. So if you can pull.
Speaker 3: Off a deal where you're trading from you know, a package around Dax, Fulton, Jake Eater and then some other impact prospects, I think you.
Speaker 2: Can pull that off. And the d Backs need arms. They need arms. They need to stockpile them.
Speaker 3: They've not done well with arms in recent history, and I think that makes the most sense. He's not that expensive, and the Marlins can can then go make some other moves. That guy at the top of your lineup just changes everything. He changes everything.
Speaker 4: So talking about trade partner, you know, the d Backs have to be happy with how their last deal with the Marlins went down in terms of acquiring a starter from them, right, Like, everybody's really high on Zach Gallon.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be really solid.
Speaker 4: And you know what we talked about how they traded Meisner earlier, right and I think they did that because they're going to upgrade at the major league level in the outfield. So maybe there's a couple of guys they're willing to cut from that outfield, you know, totem Pole.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're willing to move on from.
Speaker 4: A Verdict or a Bladet, and they throw one of those guys, and DBACS think that they can really get them right in their organization. And if you do that again, now you're adding another piece of value, of big value.
Speaker 1: You might not have to give up Max Meyer.
Speaker 4: You might be able to move a Fulton and a bled Dat and somebody on down the line.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think that this could they could make this deal for a lot cheaper than they could make Brian Reynolds. And I'm not sure how big the drop off an impact is going to be, except that Reynolds is younger, and I think he has he has more more control. Yeah, so I think, are you willing how you know how much value? How much do you value that control to the point that if Reynolds costs too much, you just drop down. You give up probably a lot less to get Marte who is on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not sure the offensive impact is going to be much, if any different.
Speaker 2: Dude, it's absolute pesst missiles. So on my case in the GM of the Arizona Imbas and Armine Ethan, I call you guys up and now I'm you guys are a collective mind of Kim Nang, and I say I will give you can tell Marte and I want Max Meyer and six O Sanchez. Max Meyer has one pitch right now, six oh Sanchez has been dealing with injury after injury and he's still what is he? Is he throwing from one hundred and twenty feet yet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: So, and that's all I want. I want those two pittures. Is that so? Acdine for an impact bat like? Could tell Marte that shouldn't make Marlins fan so mad? Don't you want offense? Don't you want an electric Tell Marte who I'm hearing stories from guys who have hit in the cages with him that he goes in shirtless without warming up and it's one hundred and ten mile an hour, rockets the other way without even trying, Like, don't you want that? For two guys? That Max Like? They're not just these ultimate pictures that you just have Maximarron six oh, and that's like, oh, that's just Trevor Rodgers and Sandy's sitting there right now. It might not be. That could actually be, you know, Max Meyer might be a bullpen guy and maybe six oh never develops, And that's an absolute steal. So that's why I would do I would do it.
Speaker 4: And and I'm I'm personally like, I'm still holding out a ton of hope for six so because I saw him pitch in person. I saw him pitch, you know, during the pandemic. I was locked into all of his starts.
Speaker 2: Have you seen him?
Speaker 3: Have you seen him work out in person? Doesn't concerned you seen him train in person? No, I haven't exercise.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen him Instagram in person.
Speaker 4: I've seen him Instagram miss uh uh Bobo Bobo. I love mister Bobo. But you know, I'm I still like, I'm holding out that hope on six oh because I saw how electric that stuff is. But if you're telling me, I can get ka tell Marte and it's gonna cast six though, and Meyer, and I know that I've still got Eddie Cabrera, Jake Eder, Urie Perez.
Speaker 2: Zach mccambley.
Speaker 4: And for Jax Fulton and more behind them, because there's guys that we haven't even mentioned in this system that deal on a nightly basis in places like Jupiter and Belloy and Jacksonville. There are guys that are dealing that we don't even talk about, and then they're gonna draft and they're gonna sign a free agency like they are going to just I keep saying it, but they are just going to keep replenishing these arms, and at that point, trading a Sixcesscantis, trading a Max Meyer, they'll find one of those again.
Speaker 2: George Soriano.
Speaker 4: My goal Hereriano is a guy we don't talk about, Like there are plenty of guys down there that are absolutely saucing minor league hitting.
Speaker 2: And my goal here is not to just destroy this Marlins farm system. I'm trading away some guys that I personally. It's not that I don't believe in Maximyr. I do believe in Max Meyer, and I feel like he's that blue chip prospect that you would trade it for something. But in those other trades, like I'm looking to kind of trade from the biggest area of strength, like maybe in Major League Baseball when we're talking about the major league roster and the minor league roster. When it comes to pitching, there are a few organizations that have what Miami has, so use that to then upgrade on the offense. So let's let's let's review as we as we wrap up here. So we we traded forktel Marte because Brian Reynolds over there in Pittsburgh, which is a little bit too expensive. We signed ken Lee Jansen to a two or a three year deal. I think that's palatable. He's one of the best. You know, he was one of the best closers in baseball. If you don't walk him into like a four year, fifty four million, you get him at two or three years, I'm good with that. Who's arm Who's the one free agent that they also need to get to be back in playoff contention? Like outside who we mentioned? Yeah, no, well, I mean we mentioned Nick Costiano's. Like, who's the one guy that's available on the free agency market that you think we need to add to Miami Like.
Speaker 3: I think conventionally fans might think it's nuts, but but to me, ken Lee Anson is that guy. Like Kenley Jansen is that guy. Because they the Marlins bullpen, Like you mentioned, Peter is good on a macro scale. Right six seventh inning, they've got good guys. They went out and got Lewis Head too from the Rays, who I like, like, they've.
Speaker 2: Got really good middle inning guys.
Speaker 3: If you look at Jordan Hallway, by the way, another guy that actually thinks is gonna be good out of their bullpen. Not a good starter at all, but was really good out of the bullpen. I think he had a point seventy five era in relief and then a fifteen era out of the bullpen. So you have the nuts and bolts, you might only need one experience fed at the back end and Jansen's velo up two miles an hour across the border. You look at a Savant page, it looks like almost Juan Soto Asque in terms of all how high up he is in every department.
Speaker 2: Like he's back. Two year deal. You're good.
Speaker 3: You have the experience, you have a winner, you have a guy that's been around for a while. I think people are quick to be like no, no, no, not ken Lee after what happened a few years ago. He got his himself back here and again it's not a five year deal. You need the vet, you need the guy that can anchor the back end of the bullpen. And he makes the most sense to me with it, with the closer prowess to help take this team and get some winning culture, some experience and vets. There might not be the most impact of impact moves, but I think it will kind of transcend the stat lines and transcend the box score in the war.
Speaker 2: If you will, ethan, who's the number one free agent on your wish list? Uh?
Speaker 4: If if they don't make the trades, uh, I'm signing. Let's say, let's say and then we also signed Kenley Jansen. Who's the next who do we need to just put the little cherry on top. I'm looking at some of these relievers like to Para to Para.
Speaker 1: I like Attavino with that slider.
Speaker 4: I know like he kind of struggled last year, you know, even like there are some good bullpen arms. I would really attack this bullpen. I'm sorry, I'm I have like Baseball has they They've been dead to me for a long time. So I'm like trying to catch up on who is available on the bullpen market. But I mean, yeah, like Jansen would be the guy personally, Yeah, I think that's just another you know who's nobody's talking about that's out there is freaking Joe Kelly, who's pumping one two? You know, like there are there's power stuff out there to be had. I like Archie Bradley still even you know brad hann as a reclamation project. You can probably get him pretty cheap after he signed for big money last year and had a bad year.
Speaker 1: Andrew Miller, can he find that fastball again?
Speaker 4: Like there are a lot of that slider again, There's a lot of good like big names. I'm really actually pretty impressed with this. So I think a lot of big names on the bullpen market right now that I think the Marlin should go out and get. But you know, I wouldn't even be opposed, Like if they still trade for one of these centerfielders.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think, I guess you.
Speaker 4: Really want you do want Hazy Sanchez to play every day, So I guess maybe you don't want like you don't want.
Speaker 1: Sorry, is it is that getting picked up? It's not right now?
Speaker 4: You're good, okay, So maybe you don't want, you know, to sign another outfielder and then run like with either Reynolds or could tell or whoever it is or you know, and then a Saul and then like Schwarber, let's say, because you want Haze Sanchez to play every day. But I really think that, like if they have to settle, if they can't get anything done in the trade market and they have to settle for Swarber, I don't really think that's settling necessarily.
Speaker 2: I think really good option for them.
Speaker 4: And the Dhers didn't play this year, thank you totally forgot about that. But I think they really want to run with Garrett Cooper.
Speaker 2: I love Coop.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say it on Twitter because he follows me on Twitter, so I'm not gonna say that. I have huge concerns about him staying healthy, and I'll believe it when I see it. But I'll believe it when I see it with Garret Cooper that he's gonna say healthy even at the DH position. That guy just finds ways to get hurt. I mean, he hurt himself running the basis last year, you know, and he was out for the season.
Speaker 2: That's how it hurt himself.
Speaker 4: He ran into a guy, right, So I'm not sold that that's gonna be one hundred and sixty two games of Garrett Cooper. But they do have Lewin Diaz that can DH. They do have Aguilar that can DH. They're going to mix those guys around at first base this Like you asked me, how does the overall look earlier, Peter, I think it looks pretty good for the Marlins. If they make a big they have to make another big move on offense for sure, and then they do need to get better at the bull at the back end.
Speaker 1: And I think, like I said, I would love to see them move Jordan.
Speaker 2: Holloway to the pen.
Speaker 4: He was really good when he was in the pen last year and he's got big power stuff. He's got a big fastball and a nice breaking ball that he can mix with it. I would put him in the pen, and I would move a couple other guys to back back there to get some value out of the back end of the bullpen. Put some power stuff back there, because they can't keep running out there with Bass and his ninety three mile an hour fastball or whatever he's throwing up there. They need gas at the back end because everybody else has it, and everybody they're playing a different game than everybody else. In the bullpen when they're throwing guys that don't have power stuff out there. So I bender is a good option. He struggled in closing. I really like Zach Popp. I think with another year of his experience under his belt, he was a real guy they traded for in the Rule five draft.
Speaker 2: I loved him. He showed a lot of good signs last year.
Speaker 4: With another year, I think he can develop into a pretty solid bullpen arm. He had some good stretches. They had a lot of guys that had good stretches. They didn't have a lot of guys that had good years. Flora was probably the only guy could and Blier was really great that you could say had good years. So they need guys that are going to have be good and consistent out of the pen. So I think signing Keilly and Jansen would be a tremendous option for them.
Speaker 2: So another and before we wrap up this, the last thing I wanted to just throw at you guys, another free agency signing that I thought, you know, would make a lot of sense for Miami's signing Jock Peterson. You know, you can put him in the outfield, you can put him at the age and he's just got some thump and he's got some charisma Miami. I just feel like he could be a really good player for the Miami Marlins. So if we're looking at this team, what we did. We traded for Katl Marte, We signed Kenlee Jansen. Maybe we signed another reliever as well, maybe a Ryan Tapara, depends on how much that would cost. And I think that the Marlin should sign Jock Peterson and we call it a day. I think that's a pretty successful team arum. With that team, how we feel it, I'd be really happy with that. I'd be really happy with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, this would be a team that, like, whatever happens happens. They're flirting with eighty plus wins, and they're fun to watch. That's the most important thing, right, Like there's hope and there's a reason to watch. And I can't emphasize enough, like trading prospects away can make the team at the big league level more fun to watch, which will give them, you know, hopefully a better turnout, better TV ratings, more money, better just better overall vibe through the through the entire organization.
Speaker 2: You got to give to get And I want to close out with just let.
Speaker 3: Me give you the twenty nineteen top ten right handed pitchers in minor league baseball. Number one was four of St Whitley. Number two was Casey Mais. Number three was Michael Kopick. Number four was Mitch Keller. Number five Dylan Sees, Mike Soroka, six, Tos Sanchez, Brent Honeywell, Kyle Wright, Hunter Green. Right, some guys that still have some upside, some good pitchers, a little bit of everything. Right, These are the top ten. These are the top top ten. And for the most part, you would go back and trade any of those guys for some of the guys we were talking about, right, I mean you would. That's kind of my point here is even if for the guys that end up working out, like if Mayer ends up being a copiic. No one's calling him a bus but I trade that in two seconds for the guys we talked about, It's not a slide of Meyer. It's more so just play the percentages. If you're playing the percentages, which the Marlins need to do, this is the time that you finally have the ability to cash in. Instead of being the team that's selling, get to be the team that is buying in the buyers almost always win. In the prospect world, it's the percentages you got to play. And I'm sorry Marlins fans sometimes it hurts a little bit, but I promise there'll be a new Darling prospect that you'll hold on to.
Speaker 2: Heck, that's already Uri Perez. Let's focus on him. Yeah. And see that's why I was like when these trades were asking and I'm like, but are they like you're they might be, just it's hard to you know, contextualize in your own hand. You're like, Wow, that's just like a lot of potential, really strong arms. But I'll say it again, you're trading from the one of the biggest strengths in all of Major League Baseball, from the top of the major leagues in Sandy al Katar all the way down to rookie ball. It's it's some of the best pitching that we have in our sport. But we just played general manager of the Miami Marlins, and I think we did a really good job. So go check out Big Hall Talk Ethan's podcast. There it is. I Well, I hope I forgot to do it. Peter.
Speaker 4: I just want to say I just want to say one more thing to just kind of of course we wrap. I feel I think the Marlins are at like a B minus B right now with how they've done this offseason. Like I think the Sandy thing was huge, Starlings was big. Garcia's a pretty good move, Wendell's pretty good move. They can make this an A plus off season if they go out and get a guy like Reynolds, like Marte, even like Schwarberg Casianos. Right, they can really really fucking hit a home run this off season if they go make one more big time move and then some other.
Speaker 2: Littler moves, Like I would like to see.
Speaker 4: Them get another depth infielder so that they don't have to play Isan Diez or Devin Morero or Joe Bannock because they still might have to Their bench looks strong though, Diez, Cooper Aguilar figure it out on one day. Brian de Lacruz, I'm really high on Wendel. If they can get I would like to see them pick up one more bat like depth bat. I think Harrison's still out there. There's no way they reunite with VR. I highly highly doubt that, but I would love to see them do it.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm good. Yeah, I know you're good.
Speaker 4: He is a he makes some bone headed plays, but I really think that there is another out infield bat to be had. I would love still love to see them, even though they traded Wendell, I would love to see them signed Josh Harrison. Still, they have to get better from top to bottom. They can't just focus on the top. They have to focus on the bottom of the roster as well because it was so bad down there. That was a seller, and they really have to focus on getting better top to bottom, improving the whole thing. They're close, man, They're really really close. They need one or two more big impact moves. And I'm not saying they are World Series contender, but they're certainly in the playoff mix and they just need they just need to be fun next year. If they're gonna build a tour, you know this is gonna be like this next wave is gonna be like a two or three year plan with Garcia to get up to World Series level.
Speaker 2: Right, So they've had the beginning of the rebuild.
Speaker 4: Now they're kind of in this middle and they're trying to get out of this purgatory that they're kind of stuck in right. If they play some fun baseball this year, like ARM said, they flirt with eighty games, eighty five wins, whatever it is, that will be huge for them as an organization to build some back up, some goodwill with the fan base, which is a huge thing they still need to do. It's year four or five or whatever it is of this rebuild. They still have to build a lot of goodwill with this fan base because it was torn down by the last regime. So they can have a huge offseason this year and it can be a really big home run if they make a couple moves that we've talked about today.
Speaker 2: Well we just did seventy minutes on the Marlins. But if you're itching for more, go check out arms article on just baseball dot com. And if you think that I traded away all of your prospects and you want to hurt me, you want to send me some messages, you're say, what an idiot? My Twitter is at Peter Apple twenty three. I will bet you all to death. What I'm trying to do is just make this big league roster better. Because I see the pitching, I see the potential. What you guys are saying there is areas of improvement they did. I know is a COVID short and twenty twenty, but they didn't make the playoffs. This team has some sparks, Josh Chisholm is going to be better. I'm expecting another breakout from Hayes su Sanchez like there are there are areas that I see or I'm very excited. But if they don't do the trades, and if they aren't willing to get rid of any of these arms, then we'll just be stuck in a ever long purgatory.
Speaker 4: So this seventy this is like, yeah, sorry, this is like a seventy five win team right now. They need to be an eighty win eighty five win team come April first or whatever whenever opening game.
Speaker 2: Maybe I thought this was a great conversation. Go check out Ethan and arm out on Twitter. Anything else before we uh, before we leave here, folks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me first appearance on the JB Show.
Speaker 2: Thankks so much. Ethan, we had a great time. Arm Thanks again, got your brain moving on some trades. I know it's tough, but hey, we're trying to make this team of World Series contender. But with that said, thank you, everybody,