Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. In a few moments, I will sign a historic executive order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world.
Speaker 2: Reciprocal. US President Donald Trump's tariff blitz shocked the world and caused a meltdown of global markets, wiping out trillions of dollars for investors, and less than a week after he announced the steepest American tariffs in more than a century, Trump on Monday threatened China with further tariffs an additional fifty percent if Beijing didn't remove the retaliatory tariffs it recently placed on US imports. Much like China, other export powerhouses in Asia have been hit with reciprocal tariffs far greater than the baseline ten percent Levey placed on all imports to the US. American allies such as your Pan and South Korea are facing tariffs of twenty four percent and twenty five percent, respectively, and the levee for Vietnam, one of the fastest growing trade partners for the US, is almost double that and panicked investors sent stock markets nose diving. Asian stocks from Shanghai to Tokyo to Mumbai, plunged by levels not seen in almost two decades. Hong Kong's benchmark Kansang Index had its worst day on Monday since nineteen ninety seven, wiping out all of its gains for the year.
Speaker 3: Connage, panic, blood bob doesn't even begin to cut it. And you look at the declines on the region's benchmar since two thousand and eight. It is across all asset classes. We're seeing the reeling from this ramped up tariff walk.
Speaker 2: In response to Trump's threats, China took the gloves off, vowing to fight to the end if the US insists on going its own way.
Speaker 4: The tariffs announced on Liberation Day by President Trump comme at the worst time for Chinese economy.
Speaker 2: John lu Is Bloomberg, Senior executive editor for Greater China, based in Beijing.
Speaker 4: It takes away the biggest highlight, which was trade, and it also means that China is put in a position where it feels it has to respond and retaliate, which it has done. That means the threat of a real, full blown trade war has escalated tremendously. If that happens, that's going to be bad for the US. It's going to be bad for China. It's going to be bad for Asia and the rest of the world because if the world and Asia cannot trade with the US and the Chinese economy is nowhere in a place to be able to take on that additional burden, then where are people going to send their goods and products? And what are companies going to do about employment?
Speaker 2: Welcome to The Big Take Asia from Bloomberg News. I'm Wanha. Every week we take you inside some of the world's biggest and most powerful economies and the markets, tycoon and businesses that drive this ever shifting region. Today on the show, the impact of Trump's tariffs on Asia's economic powerhouses. Is this the end of global trade? And how will the US tariffs reorder relationships across Asia? John, can you break down Trump's tariff announcements on China and what it means?
Speaker 4: The Liberation Day announcement added an additional thirty odd percent to the tariffs. There were already twenty percent levied because of fentanyl, and so that took tariffs on all Chinese products to well over fifty percent. That's crazy, It's the world we live in today.
Speaker 2: And that was followed by still more from the White House. Last year, Chinese companies shipped more than five hundred and twenty billion dollars in goods to the US, accounting for some fifteen percent of all of its exports. Exports contributed to nearly a third of China's economic expansion. Last year. The country's global trade surplus soared to a record of almost a trillion dollars as higher US tariffs and the threat of more to come drove companies to front load shipments. John, what risks do the latest tariffs pose to China? We know that it just at a GDP growth target of five percent last month, which was already ambitious. Right.
Speaker 4: Trade has been by far the highlight of China's economy over the last couple of years. At the same time, you had problems like real estate, which was a drag on economic growth. You had sedated consumption in China that was also a drag. You even't actually had government spending falling off and becoming a drag on the economy in twenty twenty four, and so going to twenty twenty five with what was a fairly ambitious target of five percent growth for the year, that looks much harder to achieve if you're not going to have that assistance, that input that benefit from trade.
Speaker 2: Do we have a sense of what sectors will be hardest hit in China? Are there any companies that stand to lose a lot?
Speaker 4: The sectors that will be most affected are the ones that have the lower margins, so things like clothing, apparel, toys, lower end electronics. Those things will suffer the most because the companies that were making those things and exporting them to the United States had the thinnest of margins of error, and when these tariffs come in, it will probably wipe out whatever business they had going on in the US.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the tariffs are going to bring on a lot of pain for some Chinese manufacturers and exporters. How has China then responded to Trump's tariffs so far so?
Speaker 4: In addition to announcing a thirty four percent tariff on all American goods and retaliation, China also announced that it was going to limit exports of the several rare earth metals to the United States. And these metals are used in lots of high in manufactured goods, high tech goods, and China is the world's largest supplier of rare earth metals. It has lots of technologies when it comes to refining these metals, and so if China cuts off that supply, it's going to have a real impact on the ability of American manufacturing to keep going.
Speaker 2: Beijing is now pledging to retaliate and vowing to fight to the end. Does that reflect the sentiment on the ground. Is Beijing feeling pressure to take off the gloves now?
Speaker 4: Everything so far points to relatively widespread support for retaliation against the tariffs that President Trump announced on Liberation Day. I think President Trump, having introduced to the tariffs in such a loud way in the Rose Garden, I think that has gotten populace around the world, certainly here in China feeling more aggrieved and wanting more for their governments or definitely for the Chinese government to retal to defend the Chinese rights.
Speaker 2: John Trump says his policies are designed to bring back manufacturing to the US. Is anybody in China talking about relocating to the US. Is that even feasible?
Speaker 4: So if you look at some of the companies, foreign companies that have pledged to invest in the United States, you have companies like TSMC, they make semiconductors. That's a very high margin product. They can afford to do something like invest one hundred billion dollars in the United States to build a factory that manufacturing does not depend on cheap labor. It doesn't need to be in China as much. The problem there, though, is I think a lot of those processes are very automated. I'm not sure how much employment they will generate, certainly not as much as President Trump wants, and the other things. They are more labor intensive, lower in manufacturing. Even if those things are not being done in China, it's very hard to imagine how they can be competitive in the United States relative to Latin America or Southeast Asia or some of these other lower cost places. Working in a factory for ten hours a day doing hard manual labor is not i would say, the American dream.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely not. Now. The US certainly isn't making any friends with this policy. How will this reshape relationships in Asia? And really, when you look at China's footprint in the region, what does that.
Speaker 4: Mean in Asia? You have many countries in this region who have really prospered over the last twenty to thirty years by participating in Chinese economic growth. Sending commodities, sending machinery, sending all sorts of goods to China, selling to China, but at the same time enjoying the security of being partnered allied with the United States, and so really in a goldilock situation. But that is very clearly coming to an end with the tariffs. It raises lots of questions about how much countries here in Asia can depend on the US, not only for security, but also for economic ties, for trade, and when they compare how tumultuous and unexpected and uncertain policy is coming out of Washington, DC with what has been relative stability from Beijing. I think it will lead countries to reconsider how they balance their relationships between the United States and China. I don't think that necessarily means that we're going to see a broad migration away from the US and towards China, because ultimately you have a lot of countries Japan, for example, the Philippines, Australia that are very suspicious of Chinese intent and they have territorial disputes, and so it means they are not going to be wholeheartedly embracing Beijing, but they will be tweaking the balance of their relationship between Beijing and Washington.
Speaker 2: After the break, how Asian countries plan to navigate the tightrope between Beijing and Washington, and how Trump's tariffs are rattling manufacturers in Asia's emerging economies. Alongside China, other Asian countries Vietnam, Thailand, and India are also hit hard by Trump's latest tariffs. These countries are often referred to as China plus one economies. That's where companies hedge their bets by not just having factories in China, but also setting up supply chains in other countries, hence the plus one to protect themselves against geopolitical risks. These China plus one economies have come to rely on the US as a major trading partner. Vietnam, for example, gets about thirty percent of its GDP from exports to the US and around the world. The country had the third biggest trade deficit with US last year, and it's now facing a forty six percent duty now. To understand better how the latest tariffs are going to affect these emerging China plus one economies, we spoke with John Boudreaux, a Bloomberg Southeast Asia editor based in Hocheman City, Vietnam's financial capital, John, factory owners in Vietnam that supplied to the US are they freaking out right now? You know?
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone saw this coming. Words like stunned, shocked, terrifying, of being uttered on streets, cafes, factory floors, even in government offices. There's fears of lost jobs and incomes for many Vietnamese, particularly those who's lies. They were desperately poor, and the shifting global supply chains just profoundly change their lives.
Speaker 2: Now, John Trump has been talking about teris for a while, and there have been some early indications that Vietnam might be targeted. Did Vietnam totally not see this coming or was it just not prepared for terras to be so high?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the high that that shocked them back. During Tom's first term, he actually at one point said that Vietnam took advantage of the US quote even worse than China. So that could have been an early warning sign.
Speaker 2: And how much can these latest tariffs damage Vietnam's economy.
Speaker 1: Vietnam's exports represent roughly ninety percent of GDP. It's huge, and the US is its largest market. Your Nike shoes, your Samsung phone, your Apple gadget is coming from Vietnam and other countries. And so if suddenly you're seeing a you know, forty six percent tax hike on that, that's going to hurt. I'm in Vietnam has very aggressive growth plans this year eight percent. If this continues, they're going to have to be dialing back.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Apple, John, Do we have a sense of what other businesses in industries might be the hardest hit at first?
Speaker 1: Well, certainly industries like the garment industry here just so relies on the US market. Vietnam is like the second largest supplier of shoes and clothes to the US. Anything that makes their products prohibitedly expensive for consumers just absolutely freaks them out. Nike makes about half of its shoes in Vietnam. Adidas it's thirty nine percent. Abercrombie and Fitch gets thirty percent of its merchandise from Vietnam, On and on and on. It's like a who's who of global clothes brands and shoe brands are here.
Speaker 2: Is there a risk that could really change very quickly?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it could change quickly in the sense of suddenly people pivoting away from Vietnam because I don't think it's easy to set up a factory. These werekers, even workers making shoes. They're very specialized and the factories are specialized, so it's not something you can just pick up and move. Plus, so many other countries are being hit with tariffs too, so the fear would be okay, so we all back up and moved to country ts Well, who to say you're not going to suddenly have a major bullseye on your economy too.
Speaker 2: After Trump made the shock announcement, Vietnam Communist Party chief Though Lum reached out to Trump in a phone call and offered to drop all tariffs on US goods. Trump described the call between them as very productive and indicated that the two leaders would meet. Meanwhile, Trump trade advisor Peter Navarro suggested that Vietnam's initiative didn't go far enough, since that doesn't get rid of the trade deficit it has with the US. Now, John, apart from Vietnam, you've got Cambodia, Philippines, Thailand, India. These are all emerging countries that rely on exports for growth. How are the Southeast Asia and South Asian countries interpreting the new tariffs pasink.
Speaker 1: If this continues, if this isn't just a quick shock and all move by the US to get people to the negotiating tables to cut deals, I think it's gonna dent a lot of economies. I think it's very disconcerting for a lot of these countries as governments.
Speaker 2: And John do you see these emerging economies perhaps trying to make a deal like Vietnam. Will they try to play nice by saying, we'll cut all our teriffs if you drop yours.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to see a lot of delegations going to Washington. These economies in the Southeast Asia, they can't match the firepower of China or the EU, and their economies are much smaller, so I don't think they could make this kind of threats. They have to just negotiate their way through this and just hope that they can come up with a package of deals that will cause the White House to relent and ease some of these terrors.
Speaker 2: All of these emerging economies we've mentioned, they've been caught between the two superpowers, between the US and China. How do the tariffs and Trump's policies change the way that they're walking this tight groupe.
Speaker 1: You know, Vietnam has long relied on what it calls bamboo diplomacy, the idea that the bamboo moves in the wind can move the direction when it has to, and perhaps that could be a template for other governments in dealing with the Trump administration. They are very adept at figuring out what the great powers want and how to make sure they don't get caught between the disputes so their great powers or get entangled in issues like this. Now, it still is not an easy situation to deal with. I think this could possibly alter some of the US's relationships with countries in this region. Certainly China spends a lot of time and effort willing them. Yeah, she's in things, planning a trip fairly soon to Vietnam and some other countries, and he's not coming in with a big stick of terrors and yelling at people. So in the long term this could really benefit China geopolitically in this region.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Take Asia from Bloomberg News. I'm wanh. This episode was produced by Young Young and Naomi. It was edited by Grace Jennings Ed quist and fact check by Naomi and David Fox. Mixed and sound designed by Taka Yesuzawa and Alex Uguira. Our senior producer is Naomi Shaven. Our senior editor is Elizabeth Ponso. Our deputy executive producer is Julia Weaver. Our executive producer is Nicole Beemsterbower. Sage Bowman is Bloomberg's head of podcasts. If you like this episode, make sure to subscribe and review The Big Take Asia wherever you listen to podcasts. It really helps people find the show. Thanks for listening, See you next time.