Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday. Clark Kellogg from CBS will join us. We'll talk some March madness. Reggie Miller. He'll join us in the final hour of the program. Can wemby steal the MVP eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. Good morning if you are allowing us into your homes watching on Peacock or NBC Sports Network. We say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. Four hundred cities carry this award nominated program Opening day Major League Baseball quietly tomorrow It'll be the Giants against the Yankees on Netflix. All right? Pull question Seaton eight seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by results from the first hour, and what are we going to go with hour two?
Speaker 3: Whose career would you want? Past, present, future? Otani, Wimbinyama or other. Otani has seventy three percent of that vote, followed by fifty percent from one ban Yama and twelve percent from another other. That's interesting to me. Why are people not appreciate Is it too early for victor or?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably so? I think once you win something, you know where we waited for Giannis to win. We waited for Embiid he won an MVP. We waited for Joker. But Otani is here, he's now, and you know we waited to see could he do it? And he was able to do it high end pitching and hitting. Yes, I think I'm seeing the problem with this poll question. Actually it's a little bit in the wording, because now that I'm going down through the comments where all the others are, it's like, ever heard of Bill Russell? Ever heard of Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes. It's like, Okay, that's not the group that we're talking about. Okay, should have been freezed. I should have changed the free today's athlete, Yeah, okay, something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, I was wondering when I wrote this, is there another Is there another global athlete that's young or in his prime that's global, which would remove the NFL M. I don't know. I don't know if soccer, Messi and Rinaldo were at the back half. I don't know if soccer has the global athlete. The one singular global.
Speaker 3: Athlete, like the dude right now is Lamina mal he's probably like he's I think he's like eighteen nineteen something like that.
Speaker 2: He's a big deal. He's a really big deal. Yeah, Oh, Tani is global. That helps. But then when Benyama is from France, global sport with the NBA as well, Yes, don.
Speaker 5: Depending on where you ranked tennis in the Lexicon of Sports, Carlos Alkaraz had a pretty good resume for twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when you look at the numbers that he has to get, when you know Novak Djokovic, I mean, those numbers are to even think, you know, somebody's going to eclipse those numbers. I remember when Pete Sampras won it Wembledon, and I think, what was that his fourteenth or fifteenth or sixteen, And I'm like, is anybody going to come close to that? So he's got fourteen Grand Slam titles, and then all of a sudden you had Federer, you hadn't a doll and then you had Novak Djokovic in the same era competing against each other wild and for him to be to stand alone having to compete with those guys, whether it was on clay or it was at US Open or wembled in Australian Open and to have that many Grand Slams. You know, when you forget how many Grand Slams, how many titles somebody has, that's when you know you've had a pretty special career. And you're like, I don't how many. I don't know how many is he got? How many does Djokovic have? Sam twenty three, twenty four, twenty four. It's easy to lose track of that.
Speaker 4: Since we started the show.
Speaker 2: He won another one. All right, we'll get another poll question here for hour and two. The last hour we at the end of it, we talked about dan Orlovsky of the Mothership. He really likes himself some Ty Simpson, and he had this to say on Get Up. I think ty Simpson is QB one.
Speaker 6: I think ty Simpson is the best quarterback in this class. I think when you look at the body of work and what was asked of these two quarterbacks, you have to start with the question who needed to do more to carry their football team to play well? Ty Simpson and it's not close between those two quarterbacks. And if we're asking, like okay, we're trying to see what you are as a player in college and what you're gonna be asked to do in the NFL, and what translates. I start with what do you do in moments of panic with the football? Because that's really what separates good degree. I would tell you that ty Simpson and is more consistent in that regard. What guy was asked to do more NFL throws fifteen twenty twenty five yard en routes deep corner or sale routes ty Simpson And it's not even close in that regard.
Speaker 2: I believe that he truly believes now conspiracy theorist, and you know they're represented by this same firm CIA. CIA represents a whole lot of people in the sports world. I don't know if Orlovsky's doing somebody a solid here. ESPN does have the draft and all of a sudden, you're now pushing this out now. I don't know if anybody's going to react. I don't know if a team goes wait, wait a minute, man, we didn't have a first round grade in Orlovsky. Now that would be where if I'm a GM, I would have enough respect for Orlovsky that I would reach out to him and I would say, Hey, tell me what you're seeing, Tell me what I might be missing here because Orlovsky did play the position. He's very educated in analyzing the those who are playing the position. And just because he says he's better than Fernando Mendoza doesn't mean he's going to be a great quarterback. Like, keep that in mind. The situation you're going to go into, and I don't know how good Fernando Mendoza is going to be. Do I think he's a great face for your franchise. If you're the Raiders, you have stability there. Yes, But he's not Andrew Luck, he's not Peyton Manning. So I think just because you're the number one pick in the draft you won the Heisman, that's happened before, and it doesn't mean that doesn't equate to success. He has the measurables. Orlofsky is saying ty Simpson had to overcome more. Now MY big concern is, what did they have sixteen starts in college? I don't want a quarterback who had sixteen starts. History's on my side. I got to have at least thirty five starts. Now that's where I look at bow Knicks didn't go well at Auburn. He goes to Oregon He's a quarterback in two very competitive conferences, and he plays at a very high level when he gets to Oregon and prove that was no fluke by what he's done with Denver. But I need a sample size. I always go back to Trey lance Man. That's an incredible year. Okay, it was one year. I want to see what you can do for at least two years, if not three bow Knicks played five years. Jaden Daniels five years in college. That's what I want to see. But I truly believe Orlavsky believes that Ty Simpson is a better quarterback than Fernando Mendoza. Now a lot goes into that if Fernando Mendoza, well, the Raiders will protect him, They'll beef up the offensive line. And I'm you know, I'm grateful, thankful, because I don't want to see another situation where you go that guy's going to lose his confidence. They're going to be a mess. He's going to get sacks sixty five times. He'll be another David Carr. I've been down this road before, and I hope he gets that opportunity. Also with ty Simpson. What if he goes to the Jets, what if he goes to the Cardinals, he's not in a better position than Fernando Mendoza other than he won't be asked to start right away. But what if he goes to Pittsburgh. Now he's in a better situation than Fernando Mendoza. And a lot of times it comes down to where you go when did you get drafted. I always go back to what Tom Brady told me years ago. If he was a first round pick, he never would have lasted in the league because he wasn't ready. Instead, he got his chance and he made the most of it. Patrick Mahomes going to Kansas City. If he ended up going to Carolina or Cleveland or the Bears, he's not Patrick Mahomes. These things work out, but they work out because of the surrounding cast. And ty Simpson might be the best quarterback, but that doesn't mean he's going to be great or even good. And I even said this about Fernando Mendoza. If I said right now, he'll have the career of Joe Flacco, you're going to sign up for that. Now you may not want to, I would tell you to sign up for that. Or if I said he's going to have the career of Kirk Cousins. Are you going to sign up for that? The answer is no. But if you look, I want sustainability. I want somebody who has put up good numbers. That's what you want. You want somebody who's going to be there every year. He's going to be your franchise. He's going to put up numbers. Joe Flacco had a very good career. Yeah, Mark, if.
Speaker 7: People don't forget how close the Ravens were to a couple other Super Bowls, so they were really competitive with Joe Flacco. Besides winning that one super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Mel Kiper will join us on the program tomorrow. Yes, paul I went back.
Speaker 4: And looked in twenty twenty four, about a month before the draft, around now Orlofsky had his quarterbacks. He said, Jade Daniels, no doubt, number one pick. He said, then Caleb Williams, Drake May But he said he had no doubts about Jade Daniels, and people dinged them for that, They said, well, how can you put him that far ahead. There was a time when that take was completely right. At the end of Jade and daniels first year, everybody thought Jane Daniels was the guy, and injuries have slowed that take down, and it fluctuates year to year. But the Jayden and Daniels take was hot at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we still believe that he can be an elite quarterback. But I don't know. Hey, I still liked Caleb Williams, but you know, I like even more now because of his coach and the weapons he's got. And then Drake may goes to the super Bowl without really a supporting cast. But you know, it's year to year. I mean, they got a long way to go before it's done. But if Orlovsky likes ty Simpson and uh, you want to criticize that because they're represented by the same you know, firm mothership carries the draft, hype it up a little bit, Okay, But I truly believe that Orlovsky believes Ty Simpson is the number one quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah see, I'm not saying that Dan doesn't believe that Dan Orlovsky, but it does happen in this business where uh, oh, that guy, my age, my best friend is this agent, and that guy's one of my that agent's players, my best friends players.
Speaker 2: So I talked nicer about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that absolutely happens. Maybe not so much the number one overall pick of the draft that's usually, but definitely in all of the other ones. My best friends is that guy's agent, so I talk nice about him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah. When you're all of a sudden saying that somebody's forty yard dash time at the combine wasn't correct because other people had handheld times for that forty yard dash, and then all of a sudden, you realize maybe there's a relationship with an agent, and you're going, in a minute, what about all the other guys who had hand time forty yard dashes? Just one player stood out?
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 9: Boy.
Speaker 4: Whenever I hear a negative report about a draftee this month, I think it's another team trying to get that draftee to drop to them.
Speaker 2: You know That's what it feels like. Well, we've talked about this where we have to have something to talk about. The mothership NFL network, they have to have something to talk about that's different. What is different. They can run ESPN can run with this the entire week if they want to. With Ty Simpson, they can run that and everybody's going to have an opinion on it. There's no other quarterback that you can put into the conversation. Though there's no QB three here, you're waiting for something else with this draft. How early do you take Jeremiah Love And where does Ty Simpson go?
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, do not worry, guys. Next year's QB's class going to be loaded.
Speaker 2: Of course. It will be a couple of phone calls in here and then we'll talk to Clark Kellogg. David Montana, Good morning, Dave. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 9: Dan? First time ever doing this six one and a wife pleasing power lifting two hundred and thirty pounds. So I have been fortunate. I work for myself. I've been able to take my children to school in the morning all these years, and throughout all those years on in the background of the morning. And I'm a little bit emotional. Today is the anniversary my dad passing away. But You've always been in the background in the morning with my kids, the older kids that have moved on when they come back home. One of the things they always ask the younger kids his house, the Dan Patrick's show, and just having that constant stream in the morning. To tie all of that time together and all those years, I've got one story out of it. In the afternoon when I pick up the kids. Normally we've moved on to music. But the one day I wasn't feeling music and I had the radio station.
Speaker 2: On and Colin Cowhard was on.
Speaker 9: In the afternoon, kids hop in the truck. They look at the radio station. They're wondering what's going on. When I explain how radio stations work, everybody gets quiet for a couple seconds, and about ten seconds later, all you hear from the back is this guy sucks.
Speaker 2: Oh no, come on, come on, tell your kids to be nice. Sorry to hear about your dad. Good taste, but still you don't need to do that. No, no, we're not rack me. I'm out. Colin and I are fine. We're fine. We moved on. We're fine. The kids may have issues, but kids get it. Yeah, he's all choked up, and uh, well, there's one story. And then my kids say this. Now we're fine. Colin and I are fine, We move on.
Speaker 1: I knew that story was gonna end like this.
Speaker 2: You did at brought up Collins?
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I saw where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lost my dad, kids, come back, this guy sucks. Alright, let's take a break. Nobody says a bad word about Clark Kellogg nobody. No, you can't find anybody who'll say a bad word about Clark. Kelloch Jumper was a little suspective. Stinks, but definitely not sucks. Clark will join us coming up next here on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Paully Fools Gohere with Tony Foosco. Yeah, as everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Paully and Tony Foodsco Show. But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 2: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 1: What are you doing interrupting our promo? Yeah, you wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 11: You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 2: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Paully in tone many Boothsgo show on IoT Radio, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yea more phone calls coming up. They called him Special K when he was in high school and college. Clark Kellogg CBS Sports Lead college basketball studio analyst and the eighth round or eighth overall pick by the Pacers in nineteen eighty two in the first round. You still got your uniform from your Pacer days, you know, I've got I do.
Speaker 12: Have actually a Pacer uniform and a Buckeye uniform DP in a memorabilia case that primarily is filled with our kids stuff, not mine, But I do have I do have a Pacer uniform and a buck Eye jersey in then.
Speaker 2: Did you ever ask for somebody's jersey when you were playing?
Speaker 8: I have not.
Speaker 13: I do have a signed pair of Reggie Miller's shoes. I got a signed pair of Kobe's through an auction. Reggie actually signed a pair of personal for me. But that's I think. And I have something from John Wooden, the late great John Wooden. I have a basketball that he signed for me with a scripture reference on it. Oh, I can't think I'm not a huge memorabilia god, Dan, I'm not. I'm more of a memories guy. So I'm trying to accumulate those and photos and the like, and but no, I'm not a big memorabilia guy. Actually, my wife doesn't allow me to bring too much extra stuff.
Speaker 2: I couldn't imagine back in your day where you asked Larry Bird for one of his jerseys.
Speaker 13: No, that wasn't quite operated in that time. Great respect, great admiration. But I'm trying to figure out how I can maybe take him down when I see him and ask him for his jersey.
Speaker 8: But probably getting away of that.
Speaker 2: Everybody is it feels like lamenting. There's no Cinderella story. But I think there's dark horses like Iowa in Nebraska. It's a great story. Even Texas coming out of nowhere, but they're not a Cinderella story. There's high point BCU. You know they were nice, but now you know we get to this point. It feels like this is where you want the blue bloods or you want the best teams in college basketball. So your thoughts about no so called Cinderella Dan.
Speaker 13: This tournament is such a special event on the sports calendar.
Speaker 8: In the minds of many, it's the best.
Speaker 13: It's three weeks to a championship, that's sixty eight teams. Ultimately one gets a signing moment.
Speaker 8: You do have.
Speaker 13: Stories that unfold from places that you don't anticipate, and you can dub Cinderella however you'd.
Speaker 8: Like to dub her.
Speaker 13: This tournament always, always, always delivers. Now depending on your personal preference of what you prefer, then it might deliver more or less in a given year than you think. But by and large, we've had a great blend of the excitement, the unpredictability that is March Madness, and so I always embrace it for what it is each and every year. We had four number ones for the second time since the field expanded last year, and that was phenomenal. We very well could have three number ones in the final four this year.
Speaker 8: That's still TBD. So I take it for what it is.
Speaker 13: It's a joyous and exciting and blessed ride every year, and we've had quality matchups.
Speaker 8: We've had some surprising blowouts too.
Speaker 13: I mean we had blowouts in a four or five matchup between Texas Tech and Obama.
Speaker 8: We had a surprising.
Speaker 13: Blowout in an eight nine matchup between Saint Louis and Georgia. I can't recall seeing those kind of margins of victories with those two seed lines, so again, enjoy it for what it is.
Speaker 8: I'm not opposed so the matchups we have.
Speaker 13: Cinderella showed up briefly, and we still have one I think in Iowa, who shockingly dominated a dominating inside frontline in Florida.
Speaker 2: Talking to Clark Kellogg from CBS being studio for March Madness, the future of the mid major I don't want to overreact, but I do want to react to it. Of is this an aberration of what's gone on maybe the last two years, and maybe kind of this is the future with college basketball?
Speaker 13: Time shall tell Dan, you know, we have a real tendency towards recency bias in our lives and in our sports. And we'll see, right, we'll see it clearly looks like the tide has shifted more towards the Power Conference teams, the big brand names, but there's been a dominance of those groups. Anyway, it might be enhanced and increase going forward. I still believe part of the magic of this event is the fact that the mid majors of the.
Speaker 8: Non Power Conference teams have an.
Speaker 13: Opportunity, with the right mix and the right formula to get to an elite A to Final four where we see fewer than.
Speaker 8: We've seen in past years.
Speaker 13: The lanstgate tends to lead you to think that I would rather let the data accumulate before making a statement on it.
Speaker 2: But I'm wondering if I just look at this big picture logically, you have the big conferences where these kids might not be drafted and they could stay an extra year now, and you're going to then you're going to have big names at your school who will go to the draft. But then you're gonna get guys who go, I got nil that I can make money. I might stay a year longer at Kentucky or LSU or Florida those places. And you're also going to cherry pick the mid majors where you go, hey, do you see that freshman or a sophomore. We can offer you money, And that's where I think you're going to have guys stay. But you're also going to get an influx of guys who have proven that they can play, and you may not have to go after you know, a high school kid, you're getting somebody who's already you know, battle tested.
Speaker 13: Valid valid points, real points, that reality exists. But I also think somebody mentioned this to me, and I can't recall who it was, because I'd love to attribute this to them, But they also talked about as much as we've talked about the Marquis freshman and how great this class is, there also have been a number of really good freshmen that have played at the high points or the mid majors and have excelled. And I think so may stend some of that tide and still help March Madness be a Cinderella place on occasion, will be that some of these high school kids that are talented but may not be one and done kind of guys will end up in good situations at winning programs at the mid major level, and some of them will decide that that's the best place for me to be as long as I can be comfortably taken care of from an nil standpoint and can develop and can maybe make a March Madness moment with a group of guys that I want to play with. So I think that's still going to exist. I'm always idealistic won't exist as much, but I think it still will be part of the fabric.
Speaker 2: Feels like people are cooling on Duke's chances.
Speaker 13: Understandably, So, I mean, when you look at how Michigan is played purduers coming on Arizona. I thought Michigan in Arizona coming into the tournament would have been co favorites. I don't look at the odds makers, but I'm sure that's probably what it looked like. I know Duke at one point, but you have the injury to Gonem, but he looked good in this game. He looks to be one hundred percent. Obviously, Kayla Foster is not coming back. You're wondering how that affects Duke as they go forward. So I could see where if you're ranking the remaining teams and you've got tom Izzoe in Michigan State looking at you and how successful he's been, that Duke would be considered maybe vulnerable in its bracket.
Speaker 8: They've got Saint John's first, which isn't going to be easy.
Speaker 13: So I could see that, Yeah, I could see that where people would cool on their chances to win it all.
Speaker 2: Did B why you get their money's worth with aj DEBANSA.
Speaker 8: That's a relative question.
Speaker 13: I mean, clearly they got talked about more and probably got more media exposure and contact than they could have ever imagined, certainly in terms of what happened on the floor in terms of success, maybe a ted But but again, I don't know what the number was. You hear those numbers, but there's no real reporting like you get from the NBA, where you know what guys are really making. I think it was as long as he felt good about where he landed, they felt good about how he produced. The results as a team were less than anticipated, but I would think it would have been I would look at it as a fair exchange.
Speaker 2: Quite honestly, we're gonna expand the first four. At some point you're.
Speaker 8: Assered of that. Yeah, okay, what do you think is going to be DP?
Speaker 2: I just think you double Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 8: So you're talking eight teams.
Speaker 2: You just you get six. You still get your sixty four to start officially on Thursday. But I think they'll just they'll add more games on Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't think anybody will have a problem with more games on Tuesday and Wednesday. And I mean the structure is going to be the same. I think that's what people will be like, Okay, we still have our sixty four teams and are are one through sixteen. I think they'll just they'll add to Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't disagree. I mean they've talked.
Speaker 13: The talk has been seventy two to seventy six teams, which mathematically makes sense because most of the championships that the NCAA puts on, twenty percent of the eligible teams make the postseason. We are currently at three hundred and sixty five Division One teams. Twenty percent of that would be seventy three. So I've reconciled that being I know it's about more games and more money, but I've reconciled the mathematical component of why we would expand, and it was much the same when we went from sixty four to sixty eight in twenty eleven.
Speaker 8: The number of Division One teams.
Speaker 13: That increase, you want to get to that twenty twenty one, twenty two percent.
Speaker 8: And I'm fine with that.
Speaker 13: Expanding for the sake of expansion, no, But when you've got a ration now behind it, more teams create more spaces for opportunities for more players student athletes, so I'm good with it. I don't think we'll go anything beyond either four additional teams or eight, And to your point, I think folks will be fine and adjust and be happy with starting the sixty four team bracket on Thursday. The calendar won't allow for much more than that. I just think the calendar would allow for anything beyond that.
Speaker 2: How often does Charles Berkley leave you speechless?
Speaker 14: I mean, but it's so much fun for him to leave you speechless or shaking your head, or scratching your head, or just laughing hysterically.
Speaker 13: I tell everybody you know you spent a lot of time around him. He's one of the most gracious celebrities of his stature that you will find anywhere, because he's genuinely a good guy, and he is a genuinely funny guy, which adds to his persona, which is off the charge.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you work. Thanks for joining us, Clark.
Speaker 13: Always a pleasure, Dan, I look forward to it every year. Keep up the great work, Man, Clark.
Speaker 2: Kellong CBS lead college basketball studio analysts known as Special K. Let's see a couple of phone calls in here. How about Mark and Nebraska? Hi? Mark, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 11: Dan six o one working on a two hundred pounds So I am a proud Nebraska fan. I'm twenty five years old. And this is probably might be the biggest Nebraska game in my entire lifetime. All right, Dan, there are three things. I am Reese on Mark Mark.
Speaker 2: There aren't a lot of big Nebraska games in your lifetime.
Speaker 11: Hey more, my parents. My parents say that we used to be really good at football.
Speaker 2: And I have yet to be lea. You guys were really good at football, trust me. But have you become a basketball school?
Speaker 11: You know, i'd say lately for sure? Yeah, I mean I don't know our football team, Like I'm not, Like I'm not drinking the kool aid too much this year. But I went down to Oklahoma City for the first round game and like there were sixteen thousand fans there, fifteen thousand were Nebraska. Yeah yeah, And even during the second round game. You heard him channing Husker power during the Houston Texas.
Speaker 9: A and M game.
Speaker 11: So for me to believe that there isn't just going to be a sea of red coming down from Lincoln, Nebraska and taking over Houston, I don't believe it. But I'm telling you skirts by ninety I have an absolute hatred for Iowa, always had and this is this is my super Bowl here.
Speaker 2: Why do you hate Iowa.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, there's a few personal reasons. My dad is also an Iowa State fan. He went to school at Iowa State, so also a hatred there. Had next girlfriend who's an Iowa fan cheated on me. But that's neither here nor there. But that's a personal reason. But yeah, I mean, why iwa who even likes I sat?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, good luck Mark. I really am looking forward to that game. I just hope that it is what we expected to be, almost like when Oklahoma Nebraska played football on Thanksgiving back in the seventies. Ah, that was great stuff. Nate, Mila, Hi, Nate, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 15: I wanted to throw an idea out there for your speech at your daughter's wedding in August. Yep, why not incorporate Why not incorporate elements in a DP ship like it stat of the day, the number of times you were proud of your daughter, this day in sports history, a proud sports village she had as a kid, best and worse, thell the weekend, best her getting married and worst this speech and then and then take some calls from the wedding game.
Speaker 2: I'll take some people be raising their hand at the recept giving me their height and weight. Oh, thank you, Nate. A lot of suggestions coming in yesterday on social media helping me get through this speech in August. Yes, Ton, take it from me.
Speaker 5: You don't want to make it about you. If you do something like that, then you're totally making it about you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd. While you just made it about you. Not wanting to make it about you.
Speaker 5: It's really a new wind situation. But I thought that was a clever thing to say in the moment.
Speaker 9: Thank you Tod.
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying yesterday.
Speaker 3: So whatever you do, just don't make it about you, Dan.
Speaker 2: Tod, you can't help yourself.
Speaker 5: I just walk right into it, Donna.
Speaker 2: You do like Seaton had a really good story about screwing up his haircut and then all of a sudden it became about you.
Speaker 5: I made a five second comment thing. You know, it's a first world problem I had.
Speaker 2: Well, why can't you could have just commented on seat and let seat and have the moment.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize I was doing something so awful and that little five to six second comment.
Speaker 2: That or it's five six second comments over the course of twenty years, add that up how many hours is that over twenty years, that would be a lot. Thank you, Todd Curtis in Dayton, Hi Curtis, what's on your mind?
Speaker 16: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling me about DP yep.
Speaker 16: So over the weekend, it was quiet at my house on Sunday and I thought, you know what, I'm going to give the todcast a chance. And have you ever watched a movie afterwards you.
Speaker 2: Don't know what you just watched.
Speaker 16: I didn't know whether I needed the shower or laugh.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say that is the Toodcast. It is unique. And if you have an hour an hour de spair and you want to listen to more Todd tell you about Todd than go to Danpatrick dot com The Toodcast. I find it. It's it's a lot, there's a lot going on there, but yeah, it's the podcast.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv, there's no stop signs on the podcast. No, there is, like you and Paulie are here to stop for its. Yeah, Dylan's like, hey, your love life go.
Speaker 2: Dylan is kind of the host, but all he is is basically the matre d to have Todd said at his table, he's an instigator. Also, you'll sneak a line in there. But yeah, the Gambling Podcast and toodcast are They are awesome, They are unique, interesting, they're fun. More phone calls coming up. We'll take a break here. Baseball's Opening Day tomorrow, a standalone game with the Giants and the Yankees. We update the pull results. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search f are to listen live Baseball Opening Day.
Speaker 2: Netflix once again trying to get more involved in live sports programming, and that'll be at night Baseball Opening Day. I do lament Opening Day only because personally, when I was growing up in Cincinnati, the Red's always had Opening Day. Baseball always started in Cincinnati, and that got away from us, and then all of a sudden, I'm like, I don't know what Opening Day when it is? And then the mother Ship had Sunday night where they wanted to have Opening Day. Dodgers have gone, you know, to Japan Opening Day, and I do think this commissioner has done a really good job. I do, And I'm wondering about this as baseball moves forward, what are we going to do with the automated balls and strikes, and I do think it's coming and I'm fine with it. If it means we're going to get more calls correct, then great, it's inevitable. We have the technology. Now here's the key for me? How do I dress this up so esthetically it looks cool? Can I get green light strike, red red light ball? How does it look? Now? I wouldn't do the box. I would remove the box the strike zone because I would want you to watch and then we wonder, now if you wanted to go back and then have a ball or strike call and put the box over it to reinforce something, or if they missed a call with automated balls and strikes. But I think, how am I? It's just like basketball courts. They're going to dress things up like we're just starting here, Like can you do something where three point line is illuminated? Can we do something with the paint? Can we make it more of a pinball feel to it? And I mean, it's all about the aesthetics of watching a game and you could be there and still not miss out as opposed to if you're watching on TV. But I do think that that's the next wave, how do we create more of an environment when you're watching it's more than just you're watching a sporting event. It's almost an event within an event.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paulie, there was an article about a week and a half ago. MLB broadcasts will likely no longer use a strike zone box to indicate where the pitch was or whether it was a ball or strike. That coincides with the implementation of the ABS system. Yeah, so that is likely happening almost immediately this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I like it now. I think you're sometimes misled because the camera is over the pitcher, the right side of the pitcher, and it's not frame you know, it's not framed correctly, so you can get something that looks like it's a striker a ball, and it's not just because of the camera angle of that. But I do like, can we have something that shows up on the scoreboard? Can we have something that shows up on the screen. But I do think that's coming. And these basketball courts, I do think that, you know, we're just starting now. Some of these are terrible looking. The Big twelve that was terrible looking. Plus you got to make it safe too. But I think what you can do with these basketball courts, and I would bring back the red white and blue basketball. I would. I would bring that and get it. It's so I mean, it's awesome to watch that ball, you know, you get the rotation. I think it would be a lot of fun to get that. Bring that back. Take it from the You took everything else from the ABA, why not take the basketball. It's red, white and blue, it's Americana. Well, be great, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at some descriptions of the new broadcast. I wonder if it's going to clean up the broadcast not having the shaded box, and I look a little more old school to the eye. When you're watching a baseball.
Speaker 2: When you go back and look at old footage and there's nothing on the screen, nothing, no graphics, no what's what's the balls and strikes and outs and runner at second? Nothing nothing. It's it's like watching a hockey game and there's nothing on the boards. Now you got all that advertising, yes, Todd, But in some.
Speaker 5: Ways, even though it looks so naked, it forces people to pay attention to what's going on in the game and the balls and strikes in the situation, and who's on base. And now we're in a world of you don't have to remember a phone number or anything. Everything is just in your face constantly.
Speaker 2: Tommy in Minneapolis, I Tommy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Good morning, Dan. Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 17: I'd like to ask you a question, but before I ask the question, I want to give you some background as to why I'm asking the questions. Dan lead the sports talk radio station in my market decided, after years of taking live in calls, not to take any Liven calls anymore. And the reason they said is because it wasn't adding to the content of the show. So I started thinking, well, the Dan Patrick Show is probably the best sports talk show out there, and you're a three hour show. You take life call ins and it really adds to the contents of your show, I believe. So my question to you, Dan is, when you are putting the format of your show together, why did you decide to take live callings?
Speaker 2: Because you're you're allowing me into your life, whether you're listening in real time in your car, watching at home, or listening on the podcast, and I love that relationship. You get an opportunity unity to be part of the show, and I welcome that it's a great honor that you want to call in, you want to take time out, you want to share, you want to be part of the show. And I just love the reciprocation. And that's why we've always done it, and we'll continue to do it. Reggie Miller in the final hour of the program,