Speaker 1: This episode is sponsible by game Time Ticket and App. The start of the NBA season is underway and you don't want to miss the hype atmosphere watching the basketball game live.
Speaker 2: Energy of the fans at the beginning of the season is incredible. And game Time has a new feature called game Time Picks that makes getting tickets to see your favorite teams play live even easier, and it filters out of the fluff to show you incredible deals on great seats so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets.
Speaker 1: I like using the game Time app when I want to attend a concert or comedy show. Game Time Ticket and App is the only ticketing app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. I really like the all end pricing because it shows how much I'm going to have to pay.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the game Time app right now and it's easy to find different tickets and different price points. The NBA season is beginning and I know your favorite team is going to need your support.
Speaker 1: Take the guests work out of buying tickets with game Time Picks. Download the game Time App, creating an account and use code green or twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again creating account and redeem code g R E E N for twenty dollars off. Download Game Time Today? What time is it? Game time? What's up? Everybody? Welcome back to the show. I'm happy to have this incredible player back on the show. He was on the show when it was just a Draymond Green show. He haven't been on the show since it's been to Draymond Green with bead show.
Speaker 3: What's up? I done?
Speaker 1: I'm just chilling, brother. But like I said, I'm happy to have this next guest. I've had the honor of playing against this next guest in a playoff series, which, amongst a lot of people always create beef. With this guy, it's just a lot of love and we compete and we talk. He talked on the court way more than y'all know he talk. He never makes it too hobbyist, but he talked way more than y'all know. He talked. Uh. He's an All star. He's a clutch player of the year in my opinion, definitely the fastest point guard in the league. You can argue with Yourbama. That's just how I feel. Uh, But none another the one and only Sacramento Kings All Star guard de Aaron Fox.
Speaker 4: What that player, y'all? Man, I appreciate y'all having me brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sir, you you rich rich. Two Christmas trees that brother.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 5: We got five, Oh my god, we got We got in the living room and then we got three in the four year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like you love a Christmas fair. We gotta sing some black sent a gear compliments of me and j Mon.
Speaker 5: My birthday five days, five days before Christmas. So I love I love the season.
Speaker 1: My son December twenty Yeah, he right there. Yeah sir, Happy holidays, my brother, Happy holidays.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan man. You are actually my youngest son's favorite player. I don't know if you remember when we came to Sacramento. I came to a Sacramento game. I think Rico was coaching at the time, but we just flew up to see. My son wanted to see you play, and when he met you, he was done. He wanted to fly back to La so.
Speaker 1: Con.
Speaker 5: Plus, just Rico got a lot of great things to say about you.
Speaker 4: And you talk about you all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's my dog. Shout out to Rico Hans, but he had none but great stuff to say. Your work ethic, you know how much you were a dog. And when my youngest son was like, yo, Dad, that's my favorite player, I was like, how do you know him? He said, I watch I watch him, And I was like, oh, let me start tapping in you know what I mean? Because I was mad at you from the U c l A like that, So I was holding the gruss bro. But I you know why, I just love your game. Everything you bring to the NBA being tagged the fastest player in the league is you know one thing I think for you, uh when I watch it, it's just your overall leadership. Can you just talk to us about just the evolution you know what I mean of Deannon Fox, you know, and still being with the same organizations, so the trials and tribulations, Yeah, you know that you have to go through to get where you are.
Speaker 5: One like coming in Like when I got drafted, Kings had already missed.
Speaker 4: The playoffs for eleven years, right, so already I noticed. But I tried.
Speaker 5: I tried not to let that, you know, be be the weight on my shoulders, like it's not my fault, Like I wasn't in the league when they was when they was missing the playoffs, So uh, coming in on that, I was pretty much I was starting behind a lot of like guys that was in my draft, Like Markel went to Philly. Philly had already had Ben and Joel, so they were up and coming. Boston was already in the conference finals, I think the year before we got drafted. So JT's going to a good spot. Phoenix is obviously building, La was building, and I'm like, the Kings had already promised me, like, yo, if you're at five, we're taking you. So I already knew I was going there, so coming in like I knew that it was gonna be a challenge. But as the years kind of went through went by, I'm like, how can I get better? How can I get stronger? How can I possibly get more athletic and things like that. So just going into every season, I started to learn the game. And I tell kids all the time, you playing from high school to college wasn't a jump for me at all. And obviously we see a lot of one it done and some people do take longer, but a lot of one it done is because that game ain't that different. But then you go from college to the NBA where you're seventeen, eighteen nineteen. Now you're playing against grown men who feed their families with game. And I learned that real real quick, with how how serious that this is taken. And uh, it took me time to get adjusted. But once I got adjusted to it, I feel like I've continued to get better and I feel like this guy's limit.
Speaker 4: And then just with leadership man.
Speaker 5: Playing with so many guys like there's been I don't know how many players I'm in your eight I don't know how many guys from like my second year team that are still in the league. So being able to see that revolving door of how many people have come in and out, I'm like, continue to step my game up too. I got to continue to be a professional in three Once my game, Once I start getting older and my game starts to you know, windo, everybody slows down at.
Speaker 4: Some point, what can keep me in the league?
Speaker 5: And that's kind of now, I don't I mean, i feel like I'm still getting better.
Speaker 4: Obviously I'm only twenty.
Speaker 5: Seven, but that that leadership role play, but that that leadership role and if I'm not playing that many minutes or if I'm not playing at all, how can I.
Speaker 4: Help the team?
Speaker 5: And I feel like like with my voice and with my knowledge, I feel like I'm starting to kind of turn that corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also think you turned in the corner as far as just being you know a lot of people, Oh it's speed, it's speedy to speed. You've been able to kind of like now become a pace chance.
Speaker 5: Because ever, whenever y'all actually said that I was gonna be like, I think I played with pace more than I'm just running.
Speaker 4: Fast, big y'all. I appreciate that pace is that big thing.
Speaker 5: For me, because yeah, sure I can continue to run one hundred miles per hour, but who is that helping? Like, that's not helping, it's helping my team, and I'm just getting tired while I'm doing it. So at pace, being able to play with pace while being extremely fast, extremely quick, I feel like has really taken my game to the next level.
Speaker 1: That's a fact because you could turn the jets on whatever you want to, and when you turn it on, when you play with the pace like you play at now, when you turn the jets on, it's almost like, damn it, I forgot he was that fast, you know what I'm But for someone who just gives you that all the time.
Speaker 5: He's just like, like, you can game planning for speed, like that's at a certain point.
Speaker 1: If you're just gonna be fast, you can game plan for that. But when you are fast and you got that change the pace how you like i'd say fifty percent. And you're one of those fast, super athletic people, so like, yeah, your your fast walkers.
Speaker 5: People be like, yo, you don't understand how fast you're moving. I'm like, bro, run your.
Speaker 1: Fast walk is like a really hard job. And so I feel like you spend most of your time at that speed.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, I mean honestly all honestly, I would say like maybe two or three times in a game like with the ball, I'm really sprinting.
Speaker 3: But oh yeah, I don't, I don't, I don't. I see you go. I see you playing like you go from thirty to six eighty seventy, Like even in the half court. I think your game is evolved being able to play isolation and off the pick and roll and be able to wait and then take the accep like you can go zero to sixty faster than anybody, you know what I mean. And so I feel like you've learned how to go thirty, zero to thirty, then thirty to sixty before anybody can get catch up to you. And I think that's really been the evolution of like your pick and roll game, your ISO game. So it's not even like you're not even going fast no more, you know what I mean. You just you move fast, you know what I mean, Like you move faster. Moves are much faster, they're more precise, and I think you know that's why you are the clutch player of the year. Right you're getting fouled, you know how to get fouled. You know.
Speaker 4: It's just great to say, and it took a lot of time to learn that.
Speaker 5: Like, like you said, man, with a lot of guys who are faster or more athletic than everybody that they've played against up until a certain point, It's like, what's gonna separate you when you get to the top, because like guys like Zion, Yeah, Zion is going to be that you know, zero point one percent of guys who can be the most athletic in high school go into college be the most athletic, and then go into the NBA and you're still the most athletic, But it's not many guys that's like that. So it's like, what can what can you? How can you separate yourself in terms of your athleticism or you know, whatever gift that you were given, try to evolve that. And I feel like that's what I've done, and like continuing to try to do, continue to work at, continue.
Speaker 4: To try to be in control of how fast you're moving.
Speaker 5: And I think that's where you know a lot of guys who you know, I was either one compared to or guys who've come in after me that were compared to me where they were super athletic, but then you see them in two three years and they're and they're gone, and it's like, well this guy stick, It's like, well he was just fast.
Speaker 4: You couldn't play. He wasn't a basketball player, he was an athlete, or he was just quick.
Speaker 5: So that's why I feel like I'm trying to separate myself, and I feel like people who just think I'm I'm just speed haven't watched me play in a very long time.
Speaker 6: Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year for getting in on all the basketball, football, hockey action at DraftKings sports Book. It's the season of giving, so we're being gifted college football and basketball, pro football, basketball, pro hockey to almost twenty four to seven. It's an absolutely great time of the year, so a lot of games every day, so many opportunities to place your first bet. Now, if you're gonna bet for the first time, just make it simple. Pick a team to win, any team. Go to DraftKings sports Book. They have an app. Download it ninety seconds. Here's the gift for all new customers. Bet five bucks, just five bucks. If your bet wins, you get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets. Download the Draftking Sportsbook app. The code is colin Coli n New customers. One hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if you've got five bucks and it wins, Happy Holidays from DraftKings.
Speaker 7: Crown is yours gambling problem called one night hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and Why, or text hope and Why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seveneven seven to seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKG dot co slash bball.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously you can't teach that speed, But aside from your pace and what you ultimately picked up, what would you say is the and since coming into the league and you talked about like your jump from college, from from high school to college and then you jumped from college to the NBA was way more drastic. What was the number one thing outside of the pace that you say you had to improve in order to become the All star and the face of the franchise that you've become like guys that get drafted where you get drafted, become the face of the franchise initially, let's face it are the face of the franchise for a long time to be able to sustain that, what was the thing outside is just the place that you had to improve the most.
Speaker 5: I would say one physicality, like like I was a skinny guy coming into a grown man's league. And two is the understanding of the game, playing an entirely different game. So like from your one year two, I feel like I made a really big jump, And I think from year two on one and upward, I feel like I've constantly just gotten better, but the jumps haven't been as drastic from my first year.
Speaker 4: So that's that was that was really the biggest thing.
Speaker 5: Like I said, man, you're playing you're playing basketball, but you're playing a whole different sports.
Speaker 4: Than you playing in college. Like this is entire sports.
Speaker 5: And once you actually learn it and you start to really understand the game, even if you're not the most athletic or you don't shoot the best, understanding the game can keep you on the court and can keep you in the league for a real long time. And I feel like that's that's what Like is that ton of was that that switch?
Speaker 3: Yeah? For sure. I feel like my rookie year was like you walk in and everything is the first time, so you don't really have a feel. But the second year, like you remember how you felt walking in all those arenas, and like, now I got to change my approach. So when you say that drastic leap, you know what I mean. I think that's like every point guard has to go through that, you know what I'm saying in order to understand, like, Okay, where do I fit in? And how am I going to build my game and get better and like people understand who I am and learn how to you know, play my style to play.
Speaker 5: Sometimes sometimes you got to get thrown in the fire. But hey, everybody can't handle the fires.
Speaker 4: Like that's why it's a revolving door.
Speaker 5: You see dudes in here for a year maybe two, and they disappear and we all wondering where it at because they couldn't couldn't handle what goes on in this league.
Speaker 3: Facts, that is big. Facts.
Speaker 1: Last week, Well, first off, before I moved to the question, congratulations and what I'm saying congratulations to last week your first signature shoe, the Fox one Drop, which, as we all know, it's not a small feat in the NBA. Everybody think like just happened, Like your own shoe is, Like, you know, coming into the league, you think like, oh, that's just what it's gonna be. Man, that as hard as hell to do. You know, you your your first shoe release last week. Just what did it mean to you? You know, your your first shoe release, Fox one under Curry brand. I know, Steph, it's one of your favorite players coming up. Like what just what did it all mean to you? And how did it get done? You know if you ultimately I think leaving Nike and then become a Curry brand and under armor and signing under Curry brand, which I think is.
Speaker 4: It was it was. I mean, it meant the world.
Speaker 5: Man, It's it's nothing like it, like you said, like people people think that one that that stuff just happens, but especially coming from a brand like that who's been around and touching every single sport, Like, it's not you know, I ain't throwing shots at people, like when you have those smaller brands who just give you know, if they signed a NBA player, they're gonna give them a shoot.
Speaker 4: Like it's not saying.
Speaker 5: This is a brand that's been around for decades and a lot of things.
Speaker 4: So uh, just being able to be a part of that is a blessing man.
Speaker 3: And uh then.
Speaker 5: Doing it under steps brand and being that first the first player that was that was big for me.
Speaker 4: So like for me, at the end was it was Curry Brand, it was a New Balance. Those are the two.
Speaker 5: And New Balance actually offered me more, but Curry Brand offered me a sick So I'm like, okay, I'm not hard on money.
Speaker 4: I'm good shoot and stuff. So I'm like, like, you know, we continue.
Speaker 5: To get back and where we were we had just played in the playoffs, so I'm like, okay, like rejection, Hopefully we can keep this thing going.
Speaker 4: And now you know, you can play on TV more, you get seen, more shoe sells going.
Speaker 5: So that's the way I'm thinking. And uh, and I loved I loved playing in Steps, man. I played in Steps think about seventy five percent of the season that I was a sneaker free agent.
Speaker 4: So so I love the product, like and I told.
Speaker 5: Him that whenever we started talking about it, and uh, and we started talking about having deals, like, I love the product first and foremost, and that's kind of how it started. And it was super organ and going through it and obviously you know stuff. And uh, he's hitting me like, bro, like it's so dope that you're doing this because not many guys would do it.
Speaker 4: And I told yeah, him at the end of the day that at the end of the day, Bro, I'm helping you with your brand, but you're also helping me with my brand. Like I feel like where it's working on both ways, on both sides, and.
Speaker 5: You have a mutual respect where people when we're playing in the playoffs, people are like, bro, you can't wear his.
Speaker 4: Shoe while you're playing against him, Like why the fun not like.
Speaker 5: One say we beat y'all, and now everybody like, oh you got beat and somebody somebody had your shoes on. So like it can work ways. Obviously, you know, I don't care what people got to say. They're not sitting business meetings, they don't know, they don't know what's really going on, and they can sit there and be like, oh, his his mark, his team shouldn't have had him do that.
Speaker 4: It's like, bro, you're getting paid millions of dollars to.
Speaker 8: Put a shoe on for one like all y'all would do it if y'all ain't that bad and.
Speaker 3: To sue you who I love to be.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, I'm getting paid to do that, Like who wouldn't do that? But no, that the sneaker release, Man, it's been dope. When me and steph Are in China. He saw him for the first time.
Speaker 4: He loved him. Uh So it's it's been a dope.
Speaker 5: Process, bro, And I like, I wouldn't I wouldn't change what we did for the world.
Speaker 3: How how is a sneaker free agency? Talk to me about the pre agency process. I mean, you touched on it. He was just rocking what you wanted. But like when you're going through this siding, you know what I mean, it's not always about the money, right is what is it more? What does it mean more for you in your legacy.
Speaker 5: So whenever I was going through it, obviously I was with Nike. I was with Nike in my first five years, and whenever I was coming whenever the year was coming up, all season I was, I was working out and whatever I can get my hands on, So like rebokalsing and stuff, Nike still.
Speaker 4: Sent like that. I think this was at the g T two GT cut two's under armors and stuff, das and stuff. Converse.
Speaker 5: I played in convers a lot actually during that season too, and for me, it was like what feels the best? And then it was like, Okay, what does the money look like? Does this does this company offering me, you know, this much more outweigh how I feel about their product, and that's kind of what was how kind of going. And then once I got to it, it was I was like, yeah, I'm kind of done with Nike at this point.
Speaker 4: They offered me the same.
Speaker 5: Contract, which was good contract, but I'm like, I just want to go in a different direction, and so I was.
Speaker 4: Pretty much off them. Then I started seeing my Nike rep everywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm like, God, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, bro, se y'all more than I did when I was with y'all. I'm like, no, it's just too late.
Speaker 5: And then they actually offered me more and I'm like, nah, bro, just I want to go a different direction. And it was what it was like, no hard feelings. I like, you know, I'll talk to y'all when I see y'all, but I just wanted to go out in a different direction. And that's kind of how I came to those last two.
Speaker 1: When you talk about your shoe, what's you know, just as a consumer, what comes different with the Fox one than the other signature shoes that were already out there.
Speaker 5: I think one is we wanted to do a shoe that was more like a running shoot. I don't know if y'all see like the A six and like the Dads, that's.
Speaker 4: Kind of what's popular right now.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, I want to get a shoe that even if somebody don't hoop, they could throw them on, you know, go for a run, go work out in them. My boy Reno's like, I'm wearing these with jeans. He's like, your shoe need to come out so I can stop wearing.
Speaker 4: All these other shoes. We wanted a shoe that could do it both ways. And it's kind of like bookshoe. Like bookshoe looked.
Speaker 5: Like it's not a basketball shoe, but you can go out and hoop in it. And that's kind of the that we were that I was trying to go.
Speaker 1: That's definitely the waves right now to run shoes. When we were coming up, it's like, you really wore hoop shoes.
Speaker 5: Hoop shoes, yeah, yeah, like when we were Yeah, like when I was you know, middle school, high school, people throwing on bronze KD.
Speaker 4: Kobe's with.
Speaker 5: Your cargos whatever, whatever type of pants she was wearing, people threw it on like that. So that was my thought process because everybody don't hoop, yeah, that was my thought process going into it.
Speaker 3: Man, back to back nights, you scored one hundred and nine points, sixty in the first game, forty nine in the second game. That makes you the first King player ever to score sixty in the game, and one hundred and nine points and two nights is the most in the NBA since A Mamba Kobe Bryant in twenty h seven. Can you describe the feeling of the sixty point game then coming back and getting a forty nine piece?
Speaker 4: Oh sixty, Man, I was so tired. I was so tired because we was already missing the league.
Speaker 5: Debo went down in the first half, and the second half was like, was back me and Domos, But I had it going, So Domos was coming up, cracking whoever was guarding me, and pretty much going downhill most of the night. Now it was it was a crazy like we was down twenty two. Actually we was down twenty. We had to come back and we had a chance to win the game in regulation, and I think I would have if I would have scored, I think I would have ended like fifty one or something like that. And he ended up not getting the rebound. They get an offensive rebound and they get the last shot. So I was like, bro, I was, I don't even want.
Speaker 4: To get sixty.
Speaker 5: Walked up to me in the fourth quarter and was like, yo, you might as well get sixty. And I think I had like forty seven or something at the time, so.
Speaker 4: I was hoping tonight even have that chance.
Speaker 5: But we end up losing the game, Like you didn't even feel like like I couldn't even like obviously I still felt good like scoring sixty eight.
Speaker 4: No, you know that's not but you lost.
Speaker 5: So it's like, bro, I can't even really celebrate this like how I want to.
Speaker 4: So that was that.
Speaker 5: Was That was the rough part about the night. I would have loved to have won that game, and like you, I wouldn't have took the little picture with the white paper. I wouldn't have did that. That feeling, and then that second one dog, I ended up missing three of my last five free throws. Crazy enough, when I have forty nine, I was at forty seven. I missed two free throws. Then I end up getting fouled again because they were playing a foul game, and then I made my That's how I got to forty nine. So Debo walked up and he was like, Bro, what you.
Speaker 4: Just start shaking his head and walk and walk to the locker room.
Speaker 1: You don't, no, not at all.
Speaker 5: And then I find out that Cob had one ten and everybody's talking about one on nine, one on one one or note.
Speaker 4: I'm like, bro, one on nine seem like it's so far away from one tent.
Speaker 5: And I just had That's funny.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Cob and Depot, man, what's it been like playing with Deepot? You obviously have played against him. Uh, he's been in the West, you know, then he went to the East for a couple of years. But what's it been like having him as a teammate. What's you know, What's something about his game that you know, maybe you didn't know from playing from Afar that you've been able to see with just having him as a teammate.
Speaker 4: One, just his presence, bro, Like just being around him one.
Speaker 5: And off the court, just just a calm presence that he brings to a team into a locker room, It's like it's like a.
Speaker 4: Feeling that you just have never had.
Speaker 5: And then having him out there on the court, like y'all can go through dry spells and you can just give.
Speaker 4: Him the ball and he just go get one.
Speaker 5: Create like but like you said, create like, he creates so many opportunities for everybody else as well, because people are like, oh, yeah, we don't want to give up a midi.
Speaker 4: But then you start sitting doubles.
Speaker 5: At him, and he's such a weapon passing and he's so willing to get off the ball. He makes it easy for everybody else. And then one thing, dog when I say it seemed it looked like he walked to his spot. Like at times he literally will walk to a spot and just shoot over you like you're not even standing there.
Speaker 4: So at times at times and he just scored, Uh I think he just scored his twenty four thousand point That's crazy.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: It's amazing to watch, Like he'll he'll run off five possessions in the road. Just give it to him. And people he just get to a spot, rise up, you gotta follow him.
Speaker 5: He'll get to the free throw line shooting twelve fourteen free throws, and he just makes the game look that much easier. And it's it's crazy to see because obviously, like as you're getting older, you know, you don't have the athleticism that you had but he still go out there, he'll make a super athletic play, but then he come back and it's just real calm, real study, and he's able to do it over and over again. And just that consistency that he's done it with and how long he's been playing man is is amazing. You see why he's been in the league for I think it's his sixteenth year.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's ego. He wanted them, one of them. I remember. I remember seeing him like dunking, like when he was first dunk in the year he was first dunking and everybody was talking about he was dunking it eighth grade, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So like sixteen, just the skill, bro the skill that you got to have to like twenty four to be able to do as athletic.
Speaker 4: I see was at a certain time and you you're sixteen, not as athletic, and you still doing that type of stuff. Like it is amazing to see.
Speaker 3: Footwork ile Man another great player you play with with great footwork. Sa Bonus is basically a double double every night. I think he's highly underrated. I'm sure you do tell us about you know what it means to play with somebody likes the bonus.
Speaker 4: I think I think he's like you said, I think he's very underrated, very unappreciated, underappreciated.
Speaker 5: But I think so like the way he's playing this year and the way he's shooting the ball, We're like, bro, you don't even like we're not asking to come off down screens or you know, shoot off the drib or anything like that, but we just need people to respect it because and I told him this, like whenever I started shooting the ball better, and people have to take one step.
Speaker 4: We have to take one step.
Speaker 5: Up on you and opens the court up for yourself and everybody else. And we tell him, bro, don't hesitate, if you got it, shoot it, let it fly.
Speaker 4: Because he's shooting. I think he's he's like fifty forty and like eighty five right now. So like, if we can do that, continue to get him. But it's all coming from very quality looks.
Speaker 5: Uh, continue to do that, like I think the sky's limit for him and the sky's limit for us, because then you pull the big out a little bit longer, a little bit more. Now that creates driving lanes. We're able to put teams in rotations, and it just makes our offense that much better. But uh, he knows as well as we know where we have to be better at if we want to get to where we can to where we want to get to.
Speaker 4: And Dre know it. We got to be better defensive of its never been our problems. Offense has never been our problem. And you talked about it. I think you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Indiana last year, Like, yeah, y'all the number one offense, but you can't guard a soul getting the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Like what's this going to look like? So that's that's my thought. That's about it. We know, we know how where we got to be. It's funny though. It's funny though.
Speaker 5: So we just played San Antonio, right and we come out half time and I'm picking CP up and c you know, Cepa asshole so here like he don't care to come, nothing like that, but he walks up to me. He like, yo, you're you like the only point guard that actually plays defense like that, actually come and guards me, Come pick me up, and like at the time, I like yo, whatever like he said it. But then you know, after the game and then he just became the second leading assistant ever, I'm like knowing CP. He don't just walk up to nobody and just give him a compliment like that. I'm like, he really, he really felt that, And for me, like, I want to be that type of guy. I want to be able to out there guard people, be the guy that people don't want to put you in the action because you blow actions up and then at the end of the days still on offense being able to get to work.
Speaker 4: So I really did appreciate that.
Speaker 3: That's fire.
Speaker 1: You know you want me to tell you what I fucking hate Fox. I hate that damn bean.
Speaker 3: Them.
Speaker 1: I hate the bean. It discuss me and I get I get great joy out of when we play all in the bean does not get lit.
Speaker 3: Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Of course I've seen it, and in a playoff series against you and had to go back to the hotel and look at it till three o'clock into that corner.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous. I hate that. How did they.
Speaker 1: Introduce that beam to you? Did they come to you with the idea?
Speaker 3: Did they light it?
Speaker 1: And y'all was like no, Like what did you think of it? At first? Initially?
Speaker 3: So this was so not last year.
Speaker 5: The year before the year we actually made the playoffs, we were playing in the preseason and like they never said anything about it, and we're playing in LA. We ended up beating the Lakers, but I think we lost our first preseason game, so like no one knew anything about it, and during the preseason game we won and they just tweeted like the being and then it was a picture of a beam coming out the top of Golden and one. So that's how we, like we learned about it the same way everybody else learned about it. And at first, like it was a gimmick and everybody was like, oh, how long is this going to last? And then it started becoming a thing. Fans really started liking it, and other people started hating it. So I think that was the reason that they really kept it, is because other people started hating it. Everybody's like, oh, it's a gimmick, blah blah blah. But I think it's been dope, Like it's it's a cool thing. Like you drive around the city and you go to a random restaurant and they got some type of beer called the Beam where they got a poster with the damn.
Speaker 4: Beam on it.
Speaker 5: So it's been cool for the city and like obviously we have the baseball team here this year and we have a we just got an MLS team, but like, for as long as people can remember, it's just been the Kings. So being able to have that for a city that only had one professional team has been dope. And I think it just brings the city together. So if other people hate it, man, that may that makes me like it even more.
Speaker 3: When the Kings win.
Speaker 5: And other stadiums, like our fans are there and we're about to win the games about the end, we start getting those like the beam chance and it's dope.
Speaker 4: It's definitely dope.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: That's better feeling, uh going back to my hotel room and getting my stuff and looking over there and said we wanted to sit.
Speaker 3: Was it was fun? Man?
Speaker 4: Like I gotta just get back to the playoffs.
Speaker 5: And obviously you know you won multiple championships and got even even got into the finals lost, Like I want to be able to just feel that, like know what that feeling is, just being able.
Speaker 4: To get to that spot.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite coaches and people, Mike Brown. In this game, he repeated the word possession twenty six times in his last press conference, what's the wildest thing you've seen from Mike Brown as a coach and the Jay. That question is for you too.
Speaker 5: I would say it's the clip that everybody saw when he was talking about turn on the jets.
Speaker 4: I'm like, bro, he started running. I'm like, I hope he don't tear something.
Speaker 5: I just hoot something, don't pop because he was moving like he was running as hard as he could and he ran one one sprint.
Speaker 4: He only did it one tongue and start coming down. But but like that was that was his first training camp with us, and he set the tonge.
Speaker 3: He definitely that's.
Speaker 1: The fact when I saw when I saw that clip, I was dying laughing because that's who Mike Brown is. Like he gone start running, getting out on defense, start sliding, dripping sweat, and that's just the passion he brings every day. Like he the same way every single day, and so I always respected it.
Speaker 4: It's crazy playing defense when we're just doing regular shooting drills. He started coming in.
Speaker 3: Like kick it. Like really.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. We used to be like, yo, might be you need to chill broking. He's like you, oh, Mike be like you ain't working out, Like yeah, you gotta chill. But like that's just the intensity that he brings. And you got to learn out of about Mike Brown. I'll tell you what, I'm surprised that I'm surprised the thing that y'all have struggled with as a teams defense because Mike Brown with defense, like that's what he do, like he guru, and so I know him be driving him crazy. So you you gotta challenge, You gotta just on y'all as players, because Mike Brown, I know he los there.
Speaker 5: He lost whatever hair he had left wherever it is. No, it's I mean, obviously, I think personnel is a thing.
Speaker 4: Like we're one of those smaller teams.
Speaker 5: Obviously we don't have a legit shot blocker, so like you're fighting against kind of construction like you can't. Obviously, you're only as good as your personnel a lot of the time. So for us, you know, we throw out different things in different looks, try to, you know, mut the game up, try to change, try to change the way that people see us. I might guard somebody, then Keegan might guard somebody, and key On my guard somebody. But he I think he's making do with what you know he's got, and we've been better defensively. This year, I think we were we were like eleven for a while and then we had a bad stretch, drops like twenty. I think we're hovering around like fourteen to fifteen right now. But obviously he one day he comes up to me, he's like, hands me a paper.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 5: And it showed the past twenty champions what they ranked, what they were rated in defense in the regular season. They raiding defense in the playoffs, and I think the worst was like the two Lakers that were like twentieth I think during the season, but then there were number one defensive team in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But this is after won the.
Speaker 4: Championship, so they knew what it was like. So they just did the regular season. In the playoffs, they could flip that switch.
Speaker 5: And he's like, that's the only team that wasn't in the top ten that won a championship that year. So yeah, he's he's trying to make he's trying to make it work. And he's as you know, me as the leader and the head of the snake, and a lot of times I'm the guy picking up at the point of attack defender. He's like, this is what we have to get to what if we want to win, our offense can be as good as it can be. But until we decide, until we go out there consistently can guard somebody, we're not gonna we're not gonna win.
Speaker 3: I agree, man, I think you know, especially in the Western Conference, because it's so stat You know, right now you got in the playoff picture, but you know a lot of time left, right and to that point, working at your offense is potent, right, defense is hovering. You know what I mean? That about mediocre?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: What do you think you guys need to do to make sure you get hit getting that playoffs? Oh?
Speaker 4: We got to be consistent. That's that's always the word. How can you be consistent?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Is what I think we're really trying to figure out. Can we consistently bring physicality every game?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Can you not allow offensive rebounds?
Speaker 5: Can you take care of the ball, like being able to control those things? Obviously you can't control if you if you make shots or not that game. That's that's the way that the ball bounces. But winning at the little things is his thing, and and Dre you've been his in the locker room with him. Possession, game free throw count, turnovers and was offensive rebounds? Can you win at the and I think loose balls? Can you win at those things? If we win at those things, you put yourselves in a great chance to win. Now, it doesn't mean you're gonna win, but you probably got a higher chance to win.
Speaker 4: Than if you didn't do those things.
Speaker 5: So, uh, those are the things that you know that he's preaching and just trying to be consistent at that because like I said, you don't know if you're gonna make shots that day. But if you're not making shots, can you get extra possessions? Can you take care of the ball, can you get to the free throw line? Put yourself in a great chance to win.
Speaker 1: Last time you were on the Pie, you have spoken about how you retire of hearing about the Kings playoff drought. You obviously went on to break that drought. Yeah, obviously face us unfortunately, But what what was it that you end up finding? You know, it's tough talk talk to tough, especially in your first playoff series, because what it came down to is y'all were probably a better team than us. We just had to know how Like we knew between me and Steph and just us talking and then Clay, you know, like Clay being who he is and what he's done, we just knew how to do it. And so what was it that you found coming out of that playoff series that you're like, all right, when I get back there, I know, I now know this that I think can help us get over the hunt.
Speaker 4: I think I think the big thing is in it is adjustments. Like obviously we go to Game seven and.
Speaker 5: Good game until halftime, and y'all come out in the third quarter and just punch us in the mouth and there was no looking back from from from that point in time. But I just think every time y'all made an adjustment, it like frazzled everybody because guys have been in those positions, Like I think Domas had played in the playoff series before, but and then HB.
Speaker 4: Obviously I played in the finals. But other than that, it was my first time. It was the leak, first time. Uh Egan was rookie.
Speaker 5: Kevin had played in the in the conference finals before. But like most of the guys, especially our main guys, were you know, it's our first time doing this, TV's first time, Devon's first time, like everybody, it was everybody's first most of the guys first time being able to be in that type of environment and even at home, Like once y'all hit us in the in that second half, it was like, y'all, what the hell are we going to do?
Speaker 4: Like we couldn't figure out a way to stop nobody.
Speaker 1: Then we couldn't really score.
Speaker 5: The y'all up the physicality from the first six games, and I think it kind of rattled everybody and it was pretty much over, like like we literally couldn't We had no answer for anything that y'all had at that point. But just knowing that and being able to fill a playoff series and like for me playing a team seven times in a.
Speaker 4: Row, I'm like, what the hell is going on? Like mo, my head hurt. I'm tired of seeing them like it was.
Speaker 5: It was, it was different, but I love the feeling, like I'm like, bro, I'm in the best shape of my life, Like I feel like I could play for another month. And then even last year after we beachall and then we lost the Pelicans, I'm like, bro, like I'm in the best shape, but I feel like hell, and then the Pelicans go get swept by Okay, see I'm like, shit, they could let us win and I would have got us a game.
Speaker 4: I would have got us one game. But just being able to have that feeling, it's.
Speaker 5: Like it's hard to describe unless you've been through it, but on what it felt like, I'm like, I need to get back there and try to take those next steps because you don't want to be a part of a team that's just you know, you get in the first round and get bounced. Get in the first round, you get bounced. Now are you looking at blowing teams up after that?
Speaker 4: So it was it was a good feeling to break that.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, brom a competitor, So just getting to the playoffs, obviously losing to a team that had just won the championship, obviously I felt good about getting to the playoffs, but then having that like I'm I'm i feel like I'm missing out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was. I think I watched that series, man, and I thought, you know, one for your you know, your first playoffs, that was like, you know, everybody say you're coming out, that was that was your coming out party. I felt like one of you guys go up to uh two games. That was up to right. Uh, we know what happened in game two? Right, is there anything what happened? We know what happened. We know what happened in games man, you got maybe you get ejected and kicked.
Speaker 1: You're talking about when my anchor, that man grabbed my ankle with both his hands. Shut this out, b D.
Speaker 4: I didn't think they I didn't think that.
Speaker 3: Look God, I let that I was suspended. That was the most pivotal point in this series.
Speaker 1: Though, Wait one second, though beat D time out. He grabbed my ankle with both hands, and they specifically told me, They specifically told me, Nah, that ain't nothing. I just didn't move my arm. A few weeks ago, I didn't, I didn't grab I just didn't move my arm, and so zach Edie tripped and I was up graded to a FLAKR file after the game. But when my ankle was grabbed with two hands, they told me that was nothing. I said, that's great.
Speaker 3: So that's number one, b D.
Speaker 1: Number two. It was a turning point. You know why. I was a turnpoint because they were up two old, yes, and they went up too old, and they shouldn't have just let things the way they were Mike, don't come out like, Oh, we're gonna see what the lead do. Number one House pissed that Mic, because, Bro, you've been in the foxhole with me. You know the bullshit that I and you're gonna feed this narrative and ultimately I think it cost them because you changed the way the series. Look you up to lead everything you want to.
Speaker 3: Say, you smoke, you want to smoke?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because guess what you know why? So here's what happened. You changed the way. And look now you're game plan that you you're is set for the team with me. So now you're essentially going into a playoff game where they're completely game plan for you and what you want to do, and you're essentially going into the game with no game plan for what they're gonna do. And it's like it's like when Jah, when Jah got hurt with Willis playing them in the in the championship year, they beat us by fifty the next game because we went into a game and it's not on the coaches, it's just you haven't seen it. Whereas the game plan for two straight games. So once y'all changed the game plan essentially by him saying, oh, we'll see what the league gonna do as opposed to saying let's move on. He I f you're to fire, and then y'all got blown out. Now coming back in game four again, here's the no how we know the adjustments we need to make. Right, So now we come back to game four and we know the adjustments we need to make. Y'all ain't beating us once we make the adjustments because we know winning three in a row exactly. And so it just changed the whole complexity of the series. And yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Remember it that. I remember Game four because y'all two got into it. I say, that's what I'll be here for. You know, with my pg don't back down. And you know I love my pgs. With my pgs, don't back down. You and Jay got into each other's face. I mean, you know, it's all competitiveness. I think, you know, just talk about Dre and how he bring that competitive nature out of that series, But more importantly, I think he brought it out of you where he was like, you know what, I gotta be the one, you know what I mean, it can't be some bonus, it's gotta be like you. I think you was like, fuck it, man, it's got to be me.
Speaker 5: I mean it takes like I said, like I said before, like to win at a high level, Bro, you gotta be able to match that. And like he had a hard file, is what it is physical gott to match the physicality. So being able to be in that series and like understand that, like guys are getting to people always talking about, oh you can't be friends and blah blah blah. Bro, we can be cool off the court and punch each other in the mouth on the court. Like you fight with your brothers, you fight with your sisters, you fight with your cousins. After Saul said and done, you love them the same. So being able to go through that and like that was I think that was obviously. I think that was me and Dre's first time really like getting into it obviously because.
Speaker 4: His team's always been blowing my teams out. So it's like, what can I say?
Speaker 5: So like it to be in that Uh, it's definitely like it's it's cool, and like you have to be able to match that because as a and this is as a team. If you back down and you know somebody like him or a team like that, that's one there that's been there once they smell blud rap, like once they sense fear, they since you really don't want to fight, it's over for you. So that's where we as a team had to step up and be able to match that. And I think once my team saw that, and they already know like how I get, like if I get pissed off, like I'm a different person, different player. So like them being able to see that, I think helped us be able to extend the series. Cause, like you said, they won three straight. We go into Game six at their at their crib, like I can lay down or y'all can try to bring you back home. And I think game four, even though we lost Game five, like still we still had that belief.
Speaker 4: We still had that we could win the series. You know, Like I said, Game seven, second half day.
Speaker 3: And we was rattled.
Speaker 4: Was ten and it was over.
Speaker 3: It was you know, it was it was. It was a testament of hey man, y'all fighting a heavyweight champs, you know what I mean. And you know y'all young guns and y'all swinging and swinging, y'all fighting, you know, but there was there's something to what these dudes know, you know what I mean? In that championship pedigree and when you think about you know, even Steph setting his playoff career high, you know, fifty points. You know what I'm saying, It's like, damn. You know what I'm saying. Like when I said, like, you know what I'm saying for you, like, what was that like being on the court. I know, like it wasn't a pleasant thing, But when you look at it, you know, for where you want to grow and where you want to get two as a player, talk about that game seven and how important it is because I feel like it's is going to mold your career.
Speaker 5: When I say it was nothing you could do, Like through the kitchen, we threw the kitchen. We god damn kitchen out, Like we ain't throw the scene. We threw everything that was in the kitchen at them. There was absolutely nothing you could do. He dribbling around four or five people and one throwing and getting it back and one three, and it was like just a snowball, and it's like, bro, we trying. But once they once they figured it out in that second half, like no matter what we did just wasn't working. So being it like you said, but a lot of that don't even have to do with just your skill or just their skill.
Speaker 4: It had to do with their know how.
Speaker 5: Once they knew what was they knew what was going on, how it was doing, how it was going, everybody got it going, Like it wasn't just Steph, it was everybody got it going. And there was just nothing we could do because we hadn't been there and we didn't know how to adjust to the last thing they did.
Speaker 4: Like I said, that's that's when the series. That's when the series just was over.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because and when you talk about making adjustments, like there's there's more than just game planing adjustments that need to be made, like sometimes and you kind of just hit at it sometimes in the playoffs' attitude adjustments that have to be made. And after y'all popped us in game six, the next morning, I sent some to Steff. I text him at like three o'clock in the morning. I couldn't sleep, and so I text him like what my thoughts? And he texted me back to this book and he was like, it's funny you can't sleep because Harr's what I'm thinking. And it was like a book like we're way more detail than what I was saying, and I'm like, we gotta, we gotta have a meeting. He like, yeah, we need to have a meeting tomorrow. But you know, I talk in a lot of the meetings, he said, But I got this all right, big dog, you got it. Like and we went in that meet players only and he and he pretty much said to everybody like I don't care about your ego. I don't care who you are. I don't care what you do. If you get on this bus, this is what it is. You coming, You're getting loose balls. You're coming to play hard. I don't care if you play a minute, if you play a second, if you can't care, play two. I don't care if it's me, if it's Draymond, if it's Clay, I don't care who you are. If you play, you don't play. If you get on that bus, you come with one attitude.
Speaker 3: You're riding with me.
Speaker 1: If you ain't riding, don't get on the bush. And then he came out and did that and I was like, oh, wow, that's that's crazy. That's whaa like. So it was just and you know, coming off winning the NBA Finals the year before, you gotta get through that first round like the reality. I don't think we just we ain't have enough. We ran out of gas. But you just had to muster up everything that you could.
Speaker 3: And it's little brother, you know, the little little brother. Little brother is biting on the mankles. Baby, he want to scrap, you know what I'm saying. But we gotta give we got the air. We gotta give your flowers because in that series twenty four, seven and five, I mean for a coming out party for you know, your first playoff game. I think you know one, you just you established that pedigree you know that we've all known since you know, since college, but like to see you mature into that role and to be able to have that stage. Man, that's why I love the playoffs because the real one's gonna shine. You know what I mean, the real the real is gonna prevail and step up. And so you know, I love seeing that from you. And I wanted to give your flowers in the series because taking the chance, you know, the seven games man that you know, y'all definite, you deserve some credit. And I think a little bro, you know, they get bigger man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I appreciate it, but we where we are now, like, especially where I am in my career and like I'm about to get on my I'm getting close to get on my third contract.
Speaker 4: You want to be a team and a player that's constantly in the playoffs, can you can you?
Speaker 5: Obviously, everybody wants to win a championship, right, everybody can't be contender, truth or matter.
Speaker 4: Everybody wants to win. Honestly, everybody don't want to win to be told that's you know, you want to be part of that group that's always in the playoffs. And obviously you know at times you might have a two or three year.
Speaker 5: Window where you can win a championship here and they're here, they're here or there. So like you know, for me as a player, trying to figure out what we have to do to take that next step, because you know, you don't want to always be like, oh, and you know we lost the Warriors because they just win a championship and maybe us in the first round. Like, I can't let that be just the only story that we have to tell. So, I mean, it's still a lot, a lot of work that we have to do.
Speaker 4: As a team, as an organization, but I think we're trying to build towards that.
Speaker 5: You don't want to have that just one off You'll had a good season, you broke the you broke the streak, and then.
Speaker 4: Ship starts again.
Speaker 1: Hey, but Fox, you are what was your You recently, right before the season, had an opportunity to sign an extension. What was the motivation for you to pass on an extension? Sincely continuing to bet on yourself but you know, to pass on that amount of money and just play the season.
Speaker 4: For me, man, it's it has all to do with just the team, the organization. Where are we going.
Speaker 5: I want to make sure that we're in a position to try to win in the future, because that's ultimately what I want to do. Like I don't make enough money farless of where I play or what I do, Like I'm gonna be fine unless you know, God forbid, you're not going would you know that?
Speaker 4: You know, you have a career and an injury.
Speaker 5: But aside from that, like, I feel like I'm continuing to get better as a player every year. But for me, it's are we looking like we're continuing to get better year after year? And are we going to be able to compete at a high level? And that was that's all mine is, Like if we can show that this year, like you know, you signed the extension now if not, like obviously I still have another year.
Speaker 4: But that's that's where my mindset is.
Speaker 5: At some point we be able to compete for a championship or really compete at a high level for a long time.
Speaker 4: And that's where I'm at. You at that at that stage, and like I love I love the city, like I love being here.
Speaker 5: I've raised my family here, we got grand we got our grandparents or the kids grandparents here, Like I would love to be here and retire here.
Speaker 3: Uh play.
Speaker 4: I mean, how many people.
Speaker 5: Can say they played in one organization for their whole career, like I want to be a part of that's like a few people.
Speaker 8: But at the end of the day, I also want to win. So you got especially where you ask real money. You want that league, you know what I mean, You want.
Speaker 3: That window, you want that chance, man, And you know, I think you got to put yourself in the best situation at all times, especially when you're in the primiut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm coming up on I'm coming up on those years. So yeah, they don't give all I got.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day brother, the organization also got to give all they got. So like, that's that's where we are right now.
Speaker 1: I respect you holding them to the you know, holding them to the end of the bargain as well, because most guys in your position these days, they don't you know, they just do whatever it is that you know, and then a lot of them have agents that aren't willing to take that risk. You know, a lot of them have agents that's like, Yo, you should sign this extension because the money. I know from experience, you have an agent that's like, no, there's got to make sense for you. Like and if this don't make sense for you, it's my and obligation to advise you to do what makes sense for you because we're in a position we getting the money, you know what I'm saying. And but there's a certain standard that should be upheld from organizations when you talking star players. And I think the key is is a great organization there. You know, it takes time to turn an organization. But Vec took over the team. He came from here of the VECs, I think is one of the better owners in this league. And I think you know, they I know they want to be great. But in want to be great, you.
Speaker 4: Have to learn how to do it, you know, and so ye takes time and learn how to do that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's just it's you know, it's not that I know where they have struggled. It's never for a lack of one to be great. They want to be great, but want to be great is making the right hires at all level.
Speaker 3: You gotta have them minds. You gotta have them minds on all levels.
Speaker 4: And that's one thing Mike actually did when he got here.
Speaker 5: He's like, yo, from ownership, it down to the ball boys, equipment guys, we gotta be a line.
Speaker 4: And that's that's that's what he brought like first first meeting, got.
Speaker 5: Somebody from every single department like so he he's bringing that obviously he knows what it takes for sure.
Speaker 1: You have to do that. And I think, you know, with with like that, I thought from the gate might be was a great hire. But everything around that has to make sense in order for that hire to reach his untimate potential. So I respect him, brother, I wish you well, We appreciate you coming on the show. My dog, thank you so much. Good luck the rest of his ways.
Speaker 3: Stay healthy, Fox Ones Baby Roland Fox, I'm aside Sporteen bro Ekslt. Come on, la shall ge what color?
Speaker 1: What color you want?
Speaker 3: Ship man? You picked?
Speaker 1: We got, we got there.
Speaker 4: All green is about to come out. But we had the blowing oranges that just that just dropped.
Speaker 3: You know, you know it's blowing oranges as it's my nick colors. But the green, you know, the green is fun of money and J Green, I.
Speaker 1: Appreciate, appreciate you. Shout out to the fans. We appreciate you. All tune and then go copy some of them. Young fella got his first shoe to wrap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with B D.
Speaker 3: Yeah the volume