Speaker 1: Dear, let you know USA listener. Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode, add free just join and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play. Let's go to the show. Before saida Rivera and I sat down to talk, we did something well, kind of unusual for an interview. She asked to cleanse our recording studio.
Speaker 2: Any energies that were in this room before this moment be cleansed.
Speaker 1: And that's because Zaida is a Bruha. She's a witch.
Speaker 2: Today, I call on benevolent ancestors to enter this room and join me.
Speaker 1: Once the ancestors had been invited to join the space and the room had been cleansed, I stepped in and I also did something unusual. I took off my six inch platform heels. Our interviews started with a limpia, a cleansing. Let us begin. Zaida is performing an egg olympia.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask if you ever had one.
Speaker 4: My mom did a linka awaivo like when I was a little girl.
Speaker 1: But There are, in fact, many different kinds of lempias, because all of this has been around since before the colonization of Latin America.
Speaker 4: But I haven't had one in several decades. Okay.
Speaker 1: At their core, lempys are indigenous health and spiritual practices, and lemphys are good for a lot of things. You can get a limpia to help you get over a breakup or to remove bad energy around you. So I'm lying on the floor and Zaida kneels over me. Now she's rubbing her hands together and prepping the egg.
Speaker 4: Are you okay with me? Suestion, you totally okay.
Speaker 1: Zaida lets the egg guide her hand over my body, and it's believed that the egg is absorbing negative energy and leaves you with a sense of being cleansed of whatever bad thing you had going on.
Speaker 2: I asked the egg to pull out any energy that no longer serves you.
Speaker 1: The egg guides Zaida from my feet to the crowd of my head.
Speaker 2: Opening up this beautiful center for creation, removing any self doubt.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, as Zaida explains, a spot on your body will call for more attention and the egg has to hover for a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: Misag is removing and cleansing her aura ad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can take a tea, breath in whenever you feel called.
Speaker 1: You can open your eyes combat.
Speaker 4: The seating position.
Speaker 1: I gently open my eyes and then I see Zayda's big brown eyes, and Zaida is helping me off the floors so I can get back to standing.
Speaker 2: I've never started an interview with them, so the first time for everything.
Speaker 4: Okay, I try to love it.
Speaker 1: But we're not done yet. There is a final thing that needs to happen.
Speaker 4: I cracked the egg.
Speaker 1: Now the raw egg splashes into a clear glass of water.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just going to leave that egg in the water for about ten minutes before we read that egg.
Speaker 1: From Fudro Media. It's Latino USA. I'm Maria your Hoosa. Today we're going to practice the ancient tradition of Bruhetia. We're going to learn about the history and stop second guessing ourselves. All of that with Za Rivera. For twenty years, Zaida was an entertainment journalist.
Speaker 3: This is your girl.
Speaker 2: Saya Rives couldn't wait for John like Guizamo to take off his clothes.
Speaker 1: But after two decades in the business, she felt a shift.
Speaker 2: You're having this conversation with the universe that not everybody's tuned into.
Speaker 1: It was an inner voice, an inner knowing, you might call it, that she was meant to be doing magic. Her body was telling her that she was meant to pursue brukhetiet and mysticism. But of course there were a lot of critics.
Speaker 2: You've been an entertainment reporter for how many years? Now you're a mystic. This is a joke, You're a joke.
Speaker 1: It hurt, but I got it.
Speaker 3: I understood how on the outside that might look that way.
Speaker 1: Zido was confident in her choice. She trusted that feeling deep within her.
Speaker 3: I'm so sure of my connection.
Speaker 2: And so I finally said, well, they don't see it, and it's okay.
Speaker 3: Maybe they never will.
Speaker 2: It's not going to deter me from continuing to open more and more and more.
Speaker 1: And one day she was now saida la brucha.
Speaker 2: In the words of my Taino ancestors, an ankatou anankatu anhan catu, so be it.
Speaker 1: And well, that gut feeling has worked out pretty well for Saida. She says she feels more in line with her purpose in life, and that resulted in her debuting her young adult guide. It's called Being Bruja. The Spanish translation of the book is bivi Bruga. It's a one oh one guide for young Latinas to help them get in touch with their inner Brucha self and to learn how to decipher the messages that come from beyond. So let's get back to the studio, but this time in front of the microphones and not on the floor doing a limpia. Here's our conversation. What does it feel like when you get those messages?
Speaker 2: It's it's really just in all the years of work in this it's trusting. It's not second guessing. I've gotten enough confirmations to say, Sitha, stop second guessing. You're connected and you're receiving these messages, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I've had a lot of reading, spiritual etc. But no one has actually said stop the second guessing so clearly and in English.
Speaker 2: Which is why this book was so important. This is the book that I wish I had when I was a little girl. I feel like I've always been connected in a very deep way spiritually, but didn't know what that meant.
Speaker 3: But I had my grandmother, my maternal grandmother.
Speaker 2: Who I respectfully say bruha. And I say respectfully because I don't know if she would feel like that's a respectful word. But she would do bruha things all over her house and I would watch her do it.
Speaker 3: At Florida water. She introduced that to me IgA de Florida.
Speaker 1: What is flora the water?
Speaker 2: So it's like a spiritual cologne, if you will, but like it's more than the spiritual work is Like when we were younger and would tell my grandmother we have period cramps and she would be like, mihah, bring us to the bathroom, tell us to move our hair over and pour it on the back of our neck and go take a nap. Every time it worked every time.
Speaker 1: I love that. So yeah, so take me Saia too when you were a little girl, because those were the very first moments. What was that like with Esosentimiento's.
Speaker 2: It was interesting because I was in and out of different houses of worship with different family members.
Speaker 3: So I went to Catholic.
Speaker 2: Church with my grandmother, Baptist church the big choir and everything with my Titi Julie, and Pentecostal with my dad. But I just felt like the connection wasn't there. So I talk about it in the book. Unfortunately, I came from a house that had domestic violence, and so as a little girl, I would run to my room to escape those moments, and without even knowing, I would just sit in meditation.
Speaker 1: I was just breathing, breathing through it.
Speaker 2: But on multiple occasions I felt like someone was rocking me. I remember one day distinctively opening my eyes to look at my knee and see if I'm really rocking, my knee won't be moving, and it was. And I knew in that moment, Maria, that there was something beyond what our two eyes could see that is here guiding us along our journey. And my journey has been amazing thus far. So I know that spirit is looking over watching over me.
Speaker 1: How often do you think that, in this case, young kids, but very specifically young Latinas are experiencing or practicing spiritual magic and they don't even know it.
Speaker 2: I think it happens a lot because I didn't even know what I was doing, and then I find out in a class that, oh, this is a spiritual tradition that's been around for generations. So I feel like a lot of a lot of Latinas there's an innate response to this because it comes from our ancestors. This is stuff our great great great great grandmothers was practicing.
Speaker 3: They were practicing this work.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about colonization and Catholicism. They're injuxtaposition to our indigenous ancestral roots, right, But how do you put those two things together.
Speaker 2: I want these young people or anybody reading it to realize that they're not alone in any confusion there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, just like I mentioned, my grandmother devout Catholic, but when she came home, she would have bowls of water above her refrigerator to soak up negative And so that is how I make sense of it. That bringing Christianity into areas of indigenous people that did not practice it and telling them this is what you're going to practice.
Speaker 3: It's not a choice.
Speaker 2: It's either this or you're going to suffer great consequences. So a lot of it happened in shadows, behind the doors at night, where it wasn't under the watchful eyes of colonizers, and then they would show up in the houses of worship. Now we get to my grandmother, who still believes in these traditions from the island of Puerto Rico from Borinquin, right, but also feels so drawn to the Bible and the Catholic Church and feels safe in both spaces.
Speaker 3: And that's what I feel.
Speaker 2: I could go to a house of worship and absolutely feel God in that space, But then I can go and sit by a body of water and I feel God there too.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna want to miss what comes next, because when we come back, Zaida will read the egg and find out what it tells her after the limpia that she did on me.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of fogginess, which is nice, but there is some fog around the yolk, and you see those three big bubbles right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people talking crap gossip.
Speaker 1: Stay with us, Yes, hey, we're back. And before the break, zaidivera author of Being Brucha, was about to read the egg in the glass cup. All right, let's get back to the story.
Speaker 3: I'm going to stand up to look at it.
Speaker 4: So as we look at the cup, it looks pretty clear.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of fogginess, which is nice, but there is some fog around the yolk, and you.
Speaker 4: See those three big bubbles right there. Yeah, people talking crap gossip. Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So small bubbles usually mean the cleanse took place. Everything's good. But the bubbles are big. It's like, ooh, there's some haters in the mix, so keep doing what you're doing. Mightey because we people are watching now. One thing I see as a string right here is kind of floating by itself.
Speaker 4: That was a cord cutting of some sort.
Speaker 2: You might have had an energetic connection to somebody that you didn't want that anymore, and the egging.
Speaker 4: Yet cleared that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll see the strength still sort of attached, and it shows me, oh, we should schedule a chord cutting.
Speaker 4: But in this case it seems like it's already detached. Nice. Otherwise it looks beautiful.
Speaker 2: It just seems like there might be a little gossip happening around.
Speaker 1: Your book being Brucha. I do love the title in Spanish, almost a little bit.
Speaker 2: More vv brucha, which I mean live it live brucha.
Speaker 1: I mean, but you know, I'm sure the publishers are like, what do you mean, live bruka. That's going to be too much. But you did decide to write it's a it's a young adult book one and it's not only in English. It's in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Yes, why it was so important. The traditions, the rituals, everything that I'm speaking about come from those countries that Spanish is spoken. You know, how could I write it and not have a young person in Mexico that doesn't speak English not feel seen. So you know, I credit my publisher a lot. They were very excited to do it in Spanish, and so was I. And coming from somebody that Spanish is not my first language, I've learned over the years in my adult life, how to write in Spanish, how to speak in Spanish. But it just you know, Maria, I I manifested this years ago.
Speaker 3: I was in.
Speaker 2: Meditation and I asked, God, please let me bring this work to young people. I don't know how, but I need the little girl, SAIDA that was nine on her bed.
Speaker 3: Seeing myself rocked.
Speaker 2: I need that nine year old to read this, and I'm going to share something really wild. I was guided through a past life regression meditation. And guess what I saw in that meditation, what myself as an adult woman walking into the room where I lived as a little girl, where I was sitting crying on my bed, and I rocked.
Speaker 1: Myself, Old, are you rocking younger you.
Speaker 2: So it was inner child healing work that was being done already. And when I saw that, I thought, wow, this makes so much sense because in that moment, as a nine year old, I felt so safe. I felt like whatever was happening outside of the room wasn't going to get to me.
Speaker 1: What I love about your book is that it really is a starter guide for Like, if you had a thea, who is going to tell you all about it? Great? But if we don't have a thea, you can read the book. So what do you think just if you're doing that starter guide for our listeners, what do they need? What is the what are the basic things that you need?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really interesting because most of the stuff is in our kitchen. Like I use a lot of things that are right in my kitchen, cinnamon, rosemary, like these herbs. But if I was going to say, like where do you start right like this is a bluha, one on one kind of book, I would really start working with the moon. That's one way that you could start. It's a way to introduce that connection to nature and everything around us. The new Moon is manifesting. What do you want to manifest? The foll moons. What do you want to let go of? What is it that's in your way? What is taking up space that no longer needs to be there. That's one way, but also another way is manifestation. I would say, try some manifestation work. Grab yourself some crystals. You know, my oldest daughter, I can't wait for her to hear that she was the one anti all of this.
Speaker 3: I go in her room. Now, she got crystals.
Speaker 2: She has angel numbers on her mirror like it resonates. So even getting yourself some crystals, writing down something you want to manifest, folding it and putting the crystal over that piece of paper. The biggest thing and the biggest ingredient is trust. Trusting and believing that what you're saying, what you want is being heard and received. And if it is in line with your purpose, there's no stopping it. It's going to be yours. But the big key of this is making sure it's in line with your purpose. I don't think that if you failed at something, it's like I'm not magic, I can't make this manifestation stuff work. No, if it was a failure, that means there was a lesson in it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick pause, like, hey, we're back before the break. So I that was breaking down some of the essential items that she has in order to be Abrucha. But now she's going to guide me through some of the witchy items that she actually brought into the studio with us for the interview. So before we're going to get to the next part, right, you're going to do a quick little reading, yes, but before you do that, can you just tell me what you brought that's on the table in front of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So I brought some crystals, and I believe that crystals have energy. They're from the Earth, they're pressed together to create these amazing colors and all of these things. And then of course I have the symbol of love, right, and then we have a just a clear quartz. So this is really like connected to the crown chakra, which was really powerful in your egg Limpia.
Speaker 3: I always bring Florida water, and then I always always travel with her. She is the Diosa Luna of the Tin tradition.
Speaker 2: She is the moon goddess and I love her little story. She like sits in a cave during the day and lets the sun just you know, shine and be in the spotlight. And then once that sun goes down, she's like, Okay, now it's my time to work, and she comes out of her cave and illuminates the night sky.
Speaker 3: I have a Tibetan sombol.
Speaker 2: I brought a smaller one today because I have bigger soundbols. I use this to cleanse the room. Sound is a wonderful way to do that. That wave that carries with the sound is going to move the energy around the room.
Speaker 3: So I do that and then my cards.
Speaker 1: So what's going to happen now?
Speaker 3: So let's do a little reading.
Speaker 1: Okay, do I have to do anything or no.
Speaker 3: Not at all. We're just going to pull three cards.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The cards will from left to right. They signify past, present, future. So all I need you to do is just look at the cards as I'm shuffling, and just think about things. Think about whatever it is that you're asking these cards. Ooh, when cards fly out, they're met for you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this one fool out.
Speaker 2: So we'll put it to the side. What guidance? What messages? Mm hmm, okay, thank you great spirit. Okay, so we had cards fly out, and I'm going to show you. So you got nine of Wands for past. But nine of Wands is basically saying you're a work in progress and you know that they there's little blockages in the way, but you don't let that limit you. I love the imagery of this car too, because she's standing like behind a broken fence, so it's just showing she could step right over that.
Speaker 1: She's super tall, she could absolutely step right over.
Speaker 2: But this really resonates to me with your work present night of ones. If you got a page, it's more like thinking about it, but the nights is like, let's do it, let's live life. I'm feeling like you're you're happier in your life now than you probably have been in a long time. It's true, and at this time in your life, at this age, there's a wisdom that you feel that you haven't before. Correct Three of Swords says, you're still going to be disappointed by things. Three of Swords comes to say, heartbreak is real, but our bodies, our spirits are so resilient that the heart will heal. So I do feel like this reading has a lot to do with your work and that you have been feeling heartbreak in what you've been seeing Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Oof. Yeah, no idea.
Speaker 2: And this means in every way, not just work, but family. You are the lead in your story, not your children, not your partner. And that sounds funny to Latina's to say that, but you see that if you lead and you're at the top of your priority list and you're taking care of yourself like you do physically spiritually, that's going to resonate with everyone else around you, and your kids will carry that with them for the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: God, I feel so light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when I came in I wasn't you know, I was asthmatic and tight. But I'm feeling just completely different about it. So I'm just so glad that I had this time to sit and.
Speaker 3: Talk with you. Me too, I'm so honored.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, saida thank you. That was saida Rivera. Her new book, Being Bruja, is out now. This episode was produced by Monica Moreles Garcia, who was edited by Maria Garcia. It was mixed by Leah Sean Damron. Fernanda Echavari is our managing editor. The Latino USA team also includes Roxanna Guire, Julia Caruso, Jessica Ellis, Rebecca I Vara Rinaldo, Leo Junior, Stephanie Lebau, Luis Luna Fri, mar Marquez, Julieta Martinelli, JJ Carubin, Adriana Rodriguez and Nancy Drujillo. Pennile Ramirez and I are co executive producers and I'm your host Maria jo Josa. Latino Usa is part of Iheart's mich U Dura podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlen Santana. Join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media And remember, dear listener, if you want to listen to these episodes with no ads, all you need to do is join futuro Plus. You get all kinds of bonus content and no ads. Join fut Plus now.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Joe Latino USA is made possible in part by the Tao Foundation, Skyline Foundation, and Druckenmiller Foundation