Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: You ready, Yeah, I seem intense. Don't be too sad, They're gonna be fine. Yeah, you're all worried about the selfies long series? Did you bet on the game?
Speaker 3: I actually don't think that the betting is as big of a like nearly as being in the knowledge. I probably made eight bets throughout my entire life.
Speaker 2: Well, how many of them have come in the last six routs for four? So you made it twenty three years and eight months make poor total bets, and in the last two months you've made another four. I would say we're trending enough. Yeah, Dange, our direction.
Speaker 4: Just started making a little bit of money.
Speaker 2: So oh that's good. You know what a good point. I can't argue with that. Welcome in episode twenty five of What's Right with Nick Right in the podcast and YouTube show. As I've said before, like rate, subscribe, review, I don't actually care about the reviews or the ratings. I would like you to subscribe. We're getting close to fifty thousand on YouTube. I don't know how many we have on the iTunes and Spotify feeds, but just subscribe everywhere you can. It would help us out greatly. We have a ton to do today. We also have a very sad demandse potentially a slightly poorer demanse. We don't know where we're going to get into slightly poor. I'm not sure if you bet on this game, by the end of today's show, you're gonna feel a lot better. And I think I might surprise the audience because a little spoiler alert here before we get into the show, I picked the Warriors to win the series. The Warriors in the most recent game blew out Boston. I do not feel good about the Warriors chances. We will discuss why in a moment, but first let's discuss what we're not discussing on today's show. Here are things that did not make the cut for today's show. Ryan Fitzmagic retiring. More on that in a second. Actually, that's kind of gonna make the show. Phil Knight buying the Blazers, and the twentieth anniversary of the greatest show of all time, The Wire. Let's talk one in three just for a moment. Demand say first the fits Magic thing. You don't have to say anything on this the Wire, though you will. I saw someone with you know what, I want to propose this idea start the clock go ahead, because we're into the show. I saw someone pose it. If fits Magic is the greatest backup quarterback ever, should he be in the Hall of Fame. Here's what I propose. Certain takes are so bad you lose your blue check mark. There's a committee Elon Musket looks like is gonna weasel out of buying Twitter. If someone else, though, comes to power with Twitter. I want there to be a take commission that if it is unanimously agreed upon that that is an indefensible take. You lose your check mark, at least temporarily. That's first point, okay. Second point is the Wire. You won't watch The Wire. You haven't watched The Wire. I told you the three greatest shows of all time are, in no order, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad. You finally watch Breaking Bad and you gave it a A plus. Correct. Yeah, Okay, take my advice on the Wire and the Sopranos. And now I'm gonna tell you The Wire takes about seven episodes to get going. Okay, it then becomes the greatest piece not of television, but of American art ever made. Take that Andy Warhol, and with that we will get right into the show. All right, what are we starting with today?
Speaker 4: That's to it? Man? Warriors won game two?
Speaker 2: Yeah they did? You were You were sad, buddy, Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was. It is what it is. We got to split.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Boston's on fire game one. You have passed the torch the Warriors and they were on fire in game two. I'm still very confident in them, sounds as long as as long as.
Speaker 4: The refs don't let Draymond control the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, sure, So what's what's your question here? What are we doing? The should you be confident? Is that the question?
Speaker 3: That's not really my question okay, because I am confident, so you're I mean, okay, So am I wrong?
Speaker 2: No, you just decided that if a first a block first segment is really who cares what my take is? Demanse said, as long as the refs don't let Draymond control the game, we can keep it moving. Usually at the end of these there's a question. You asked me to prompt me into the discussion. Now, let me tell you why I was worried about Demanse. Yesterday we had my mom's birthday dinner, and I knew I was gonna time it right. And I also knew that I had a laptop with me the ability to stream the game. If when we left the game had started, we could watch it in the car together on the laptop with my wife driving. Demonse didn't know I had the laptop and started around seven forty five Eastern to get a little lancy, a little anxious. It was the first time of your life that I've seen that you were seriously invested in watching every second of a sporting game like I've never There's not a super Bowl, nothing has it been where like you didn't want to miss one second of it. So that made me very proud. That was like, for me, the equivalent of like you bringing home like an A plus on a map desk. I was like, oh man, my son's growing up. I loved it so much. Now I tend to actually, unfortunately agree with your analysis and we will talk fortunately well yeah, I mean he kind of, you know, you kind of stole my thunder and we're gonna talk Draymond later in the segment. I mean it just try to keep up here. But I didn't think it was a game that was officiated particularly. I think there are significant concerns for the Warriors, most notably everyone's pointing out this number that Jason Tatum had the worst plus minus and finals history. That to me is not relevant. If you're the superstar player on a team that gets blown out, your plus minus is going to be awful. Right here is the far more relevant number. This game was over after three quarters. After the third quarter, the Warriors were up twenty three points, and then in the fourth quarter it was basically garbage time. Right for the whole fourth quarter through three quarters, Klay Thompson twenty two minutes played minus one. In those twenty two minutes, the Warriors were plus twenty four in the fourteen he sat. That's a noteworthy plus minus. That's a plus minus that shows this might not be a series for Clay. I already everyone's overrating what Jordan Poole did. Jordan Poole was essentially benched by Kerr, and then at the very end of the third quarter Kerr put him in for the first time. In the second half, he hit those two threes, hit another one in the fourth. Jordan Poole's been a negative. I picked the Warriors on television. I gotta tell you, By the time people hear and see this, I think I'm gonna go back on TV and switch my pick. I never switch picks. I actually think the Celtics are in a really good position to manse.
Speaker 4: I think that's a very rational thing to say at this point.
Speaker 2: I you, here's the other thing, the Warriors. You said something interesting when your Diora walked in the room and she said, oh, do the Celtics have to win this game? And you said, nope, but the Warriors do. That was exactly right. NBA history, only five teams in the finals have ever come back from two to oh down, and three of those five will. And I'll tell you what they were. Bill Russell's final championship nineteen sixty nine, player coach, his eleventh ring. They went down two oh they won, and seven Bill Walton's only championship nineteen seventy seven over Doctor J and the Sixers down two oh one and six, the d Wade come back against the MAVs down two oh one and six. And the other two are ones you watched that are very recent. Warriors up two oh and Lebron and the Cavs in twenty sixteen end up going up three to one, losing seven. And last year Giannis and the Bucks are down two oh end up winning in six. But here's the So it's only been done five times where you come back from two to oh. It's never been done where a team is down two to oh or two at home. So the Warriors had to win. They won. I think the Celtics are better.
Speaker 3: I think I think the Celtics game winning Game one holds more weight than than the Warriors winning game two.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. The Celtics wanted to split. They got their split. People in my business far too often overreact to the order of events rather than the events. If going into the finals, we would have said it's it's one to one. Going back to Boston, people would say, oh, that drastically favors the Celtics. But because it went one to oh and then one one, people get it wrong. Okay, all right, what's next? Try to ask a question with this one? Okay, not just to take we got toime takes over here, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Hatam Tatum hasn't played well, we'll play to the standard in the finals so far, yep. But he did carry the Celtics past Kadie Giannis and Jimmy Butler. But he's not looked like a top ten guy in this series. Do you think he's out of gas or is he just not quite in that top tier yet?
Speaker 2: No? I think he has looked like a top ten guy. He just hasn't looked like a top one guy. Here's the deal, and this is and we've talked about this on the show before, one of the long tales unintended consequences of the insane way sports media reacted to every single Lebron James moment in game as if it were legacy defining and was. It got in people's that great players don't have bad games. They do. There is one guy in the league right now that if he has a subpar game, you're shocked. It's Johanness. Giannis is the only guy that even on a bad night is good. So even like I think Luca is the second best player in the league, Luca on a bad night can be He'll still have good counting numbers, but his defense will be lacking. He'll wear down at the ends. Tatum is top ten, Is he top three? No, he's not top three. But yesterday I give you some numbers or about the game two real quick, because yes, that game was absolutely not on Tatum. Tatum for the game was eight of nineteen from the field, six of nine from three to twenty eight points. Okay, so eight of nineteen from the field right around forty percent. Not great, not terrible. Six of nine from three is outstanding, twenty eight points. The other eight rotation players for the Celtics Jalen Brown, Alhr, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Derek White, Peyton Pritchard, Daniel Tice. And there's someone I'm forgetting your guy, time Ward Robert Williams.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other eight guys that play were sixteen of fifty one, sixteen of fifty one that's thirty percent and six of twenty one from three, So you're not Tatum was okay, everyone else was terrible. Jalen was one of eleven after the first quarter, one of eleven, So I don't put this one on Tatum. All right, what's next?
Speaker 4: It's fair different. The difference in each game has been role players. Yep.
Speaker 3: Jordan Poole went off in Game two. Derek White and Marcus Smart did in game one.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: These teams have depth, so they're in the finals. Isn't this bad news for teams like the Nets and the Lakers?
Speaker 2: Okay, you guys keep trying to force this all our super team's dead narrative.
Speaker 4: I think super teams are dead.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's just go through champions over the last I don't care half decade. Twenty sixteen Cabs built on the fly Superteam. Twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen Warriors they added Kevin Durant feel super ish to me. Twenty nineteen Raptors they added Kawhi Leonard. Twenty twenty Lakers they added Lebron two years the year prior in Anthony Davis that year, last year's Bucks Organic, and this year's team will be organic one of the two champions.
Speaker 4: You look quiz like, oh, so the super I say the super teams are dead.
Speaker 3: I think that the stuff that's going on off the court is making the super teams dead. What do you make I think that like with with with Harden going to Philly, there were like you know, social problems, everybody wouldn't getting along, and like Kyrie on the nets he had the problem with the vaccine. He's got all his other shenanigans going on. Okay, I think it's got okay, it's beyond.
Speaker 2: Basketball, that's all fair. I guess the point that I am making is this, in those specific instances that very well might be true. However, if I'm trying to think of a good example of what could happen if this summer, Joel Embiid were to demand out and say I want to go to Miami and they trade Bam and Hero and all of a sudden, Joel's down in Miami with Jimmy Butler and then somebody comes and joins them. Guess what super teams are?
Speaker 4: Right back?
Speaker 2: And so, and it should be noted this Warriors team exists. How did they get Andrew Wiggins by trading D'Angel Russell. How did they get d'angela Russell by trading Kevin Durant in the sign and trade with the Nets? How did the Celtics become the Celtics by being on the receiving end of a Nets trade for Paul Pearson Kevin Garnett. So the idea of that you can duplicate what either of these teams did probably not all? Right, what's what's last?
Speaker 3: Draymond got a tech early on Sunday. Yeah, he then put his antics into overdrive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: After the game, he.
Speaker 3: Said he's earned the right, earned the right from the rest to play like this. Yeah, and uh do you buy that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Listen, Draymond broke a couple of the crack commandments. My friend that getting high on his own supply and he's talking too much. The thing number two is like, don't let folks know where your money's at. Something like that. He is. It's one thing to get away with stuff. And we've talked about this on this show. I was ahead of the curve here that Draymond Green has figured out he can pay a one free throw tax early in these games and then just get to act like a total maniac the rest of the game. Announcing that's but announcing it is wild. It is absolutely wild. And if I think the refs are now, the refs have social media, the refs have the Internet, and I think I don't think Draymond can control himself. That's the other part of this.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to start a lot of fights at the pickup games in the parks.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't know. Listen, He's Freeze a podcaster now, so I don't know how many pickup games he's gonna I don't.
Speaker 4: Think that people are going to try to like mimic his style, oh.
Speaker 2: You see, trying to play like him. Listen, mister triple single has to find a way to put his imprint on the game, and as long as the refs are letting him do it, more power to him. But he shouldn't have bragged about it.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 2: I would bet money. And one of the reasons I'm leaning Celtics the rest of the way is I think he's gonna get thrown out of one of these guys, and that'll be a hell of a legacy thing. Man. If they lose three finals, one of which Clay and Katie got hurt and the other two. One year he gets suspended when they have control of the series, and then this year if he gets kicked out of the game, he could have gotten kicked out last night. Now, I last point on the Dreymonth thing, and then we got a rep I agree with what the broadcast was saying, which is the best refs don't throw a guy out on a close call technical, right. I think that star players should get seven fouls, not six, meaning once you have five fouls, if you commit one more, they look the other way. You commit another one, you're gone. You know what I mean. Give him a big margin. Vara on the sixth vowel. Same thing with technical star player should get three techs, not two. Once you have one tech, you do something else tech worthy, the refts can look the other way. Ramon does eleven things tech worthy though every game, and he's been doing it all playoffs and now he's bragging about it. I think it's a problem. I also think it's a problem that I went so long there, because it means less time for us to talk about your favorite subject and my favorite subject and Demonz soon to be favorite subject tennis. That's next on What's Right.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robless, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime in Video.
Speaker 2: All Right, Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright, the podcast and the YouTube show. This episode number twenty five. Remember every Sunday we released the latest in our ongoing series of the fifty greatest players the last fifty years. We are approaching the top fifteen. It is getting very good and very interesting, and I recommend those videos on our YouTube page and the audio on the podcast feed. But that is something that's maybe easier to digest pardon me, player by player in its video format, so you can check that out on the What's Right YouTube page. All Right, demanse. I think I know what we're starting with here. What are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Your guy raf on that Nadal there you go on the French Open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're damn Stradi did.
Speaker 3: That's his fourteenth title. Now, Yeah, the producers told me that Pete Samprian's only one for Sampris. Yeah, they're only one fourteen total Grand slams.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is Rafa's dominant at the French Open? The most impressive stat in sports history.
Speaker 2: Okay, so things here. If you had instead of laying in your bed downstairs, if you had woken up when I was shaking you Sunday morning, you probably would have known how to pronounce Pete Sampers and raffin a doll for the show. Instead, you wouldn't get up and watch the French Open with me, which, by the way, was he made quick work six ' three six three six to. Oh that thing was a rap early because Rafa dominated like that. I what Robin. And by the way, we also found out he played the entire French Open with his foot numbed, couldn't feel one of his feet because he's doing with a foot issue that they haven't been able to fix. But he knew he could kick these guys ass on clay anyway, so he went out and did it with a numb foot.
Speaker 4: What I'm sorry I missed it.
Speaker 3: I was having a really good dream about dominating on the grass.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what. Yeah, you were having a really good dream about dominating on the grass. Or you were having a really good dream due to grass, who knows. But the point is this. The point is you should have watched the French Open with me because it might have been your last time to ever get to see Rafa compete. If he can't get the foot fixed, he's done and that this era, this golden era of tennis might be over. Fer I still believe Federer, like who's best was the best. I think Roger Federer at his best was the greatest tennis has ever been played. Okay, Djokovic's overall excellence, it has. He's like a robot. I had, you know, center court, second row seats to watch him in the US Open quarterfinals last year. Yeah, and it's unbelievable what he can do. But Rafa, to me, is my favorite, and the fact that he now he has he's won fourteen French Opens. To Demanse he's never in his wins faced a fifth set. He has in the French Open overtime them, Well, you win three sets to win, so it's best of five. My point is he's won those fourteen, all three to zero or three to one. At the Fringe Open, I think he has lost as many he's He's one hundred and fourteen and three is what I know. His record at the French Open. He has three times not won it. He's never faced a fifth set in his wins. He's just impossible there.
Speaker 6: But on top of that, Jesus Way, this guy could not get any more boring. Phony you talk less about tennis and more about how he's been right about maybe one thing this NBA postseason.
Speaker 2: He run Wimbledon a couple times a long time ago, and he's always in the US Open, and he's won that four times and as recently as I saw him win it one year, so it was one of the years since we've been here, maybe twenty nineteen, twenty twenty was there even a US Open. He must have been twenty nineteen because of the pandemic. So the he's just on believable and he's so easy to root for, and I'll be sad. If he's done playing, I'll be flat and I'd be very sad you missed it because my grandkids, your kids one day are gonna say to you, dad, did you ever get to see rop and a doll? And you're gonna say, well, there was this time I could have but instead I slept through it, could have watched his twenty second grand sperient.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you my children will not be asking about the French hop.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, you know you think that.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: Though, Shout out to Wimbledon though, Yeah, berries and cream?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, the the place where they play.
Speaker 2: I know, I understand, buddy, berries and cream is Strawberries and cream is like the big thing people eat there at the Wimbledon at not though Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: At at Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like pimento and cheese. Where do they eat that? Do you know? Where's that famous France green jacket? Where do you get the green jacket?
Speaker 4: Oh? Where's that?
Speaker 2: Where's the green?
Speaker 4: Jackson America PGA?
Speaker 2: Which one it is golf? Where to get in America? It is in America? Augusta National? What's plated Augusta National nope, Georgia. What's played at Augusta National? The Masters? Okay, let's just keep it moving, all right, what's the next?
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna talk Utah jazz and tennis. Okay, same show.
Speaker 3: Sweet the jazz coach was on Sunday. Do you think that he waited for the Lakers to sign Hams so he could avoid Russ?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Is that the whole question?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, no, that wasn't the whole question.
Speaker 3: Keep going, and do you think that this means that Donovan Mitch will be free of the jazz suit?
Speaker 2: Not this year? Listen, the All Star Game this year is in Salt Lake City. I know what you're thinking. Why, I don't know. Can you imagine? You know they used to call the All Star Game the Black super Bowl, like meaning it was like the such a big event for Black America, the NBA All Star Game, and they put it in Salt Lake City. Yeah, so I guess maybe you could say everyone deserves to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I was about to say. I think the NBA was just like, hey man, we got to give him their time.
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't. They're lucky to have a team. Sorry to all our viewers and listeners in the Great Salt Lake and sorry Colin Coward who owns multiple homes in Utah, but not interested. But here's the thing. They're not gonna trade their best player before they host the All Star Game. He's their best chance of having like a you know, a guy kind of be the main character of a Beacon. So I think they're gonna let Donovan essentially pick their coach. I think they're gonna have another disappointing year, and then I think Donovan leaves in a year. I do not think he leaves this year. I do not think that the Jazz are gonna trade him before they host their All Star game. I also, you think people aren't interested in tennis. People are interested in tennis, my friend. People are not interested in the Utah Jazz. I am told, though, we're playing a brand new game, a new game we've never played. So describe it? How will explain what is it?
Speaker 3: You had a super controversial take on Twitter, which one the Jordan one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we'll get to that point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you're always willing to fight for what you think is right, even if your take is completely outrageous. So creating a new game customized just for you. Yeah, called Nick right public defender.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love this because if I wasn't, if I wasn't doing this for a living, i'd definitely be an attorney, a litigator, courtroom litigators.
Speaker 4: And I think you'd be great at it. Oh, thanks, buddy, So Toney's I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: To Fidney's people usher at Cubs, usher at Cub game destroys a huge beer cup period that fans have been creating.
Speaker 4: This is just lame. Could you defend this guy?
Speaker 2: All right? So this video, in case you're just listening, there is a massive pyramid of beer cups at a Cubs game, and an usher just walks by and nonchalantly knocks it over and seems to be doing it with quite a bit of glee, and then kind of pushes the other cups aside before he goes back to other ushering duties. In order for this game to really work, I think the idea is even I think this guy obviously is a jackass, but I think the best way is for me to be able to defend something even I don't agree with. Yeah, so let's just pretend I didn't call him a jackass. Okay, These are not my actual takes. But if I as a public defender, you must defend all your clients with great vigor into the best of your abilities, even if you think they're guilty. Listen, this isn't you know the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity house at DePaul University. There's a baseball game with families with young children. And we're in a time where I know people are gonna act like, oh, COVID doesn't exist. It still exists. You've got let me look at that again. We've got how many rows is that pyramid? That is thirteen rows? So we're talking about I got to do this off the top of my head, but ten rows would be fifty five. So we're talking about nearly one hundred cups right there in that pyramid. How many germs, how many obstructed views? These are the people that didn't pay a lot for their seats. Bleacher seats the one thing you can hope for so that you can actually see the game. And where does it end if you don't knock it down there? It just grows and grows and grows. Eventually it becomes bigger than the game. The usher, by the way, is just doing what his boss has told him. If you want to take it up with anybody, take it up with the people that own the Cubs.
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: The Ricketts family? They also, I think one of them, the Ricketts folks, is the governor of Nebraska. I got big issues with him as well. So, as is always the case, we're picking on the common man who's just doing what his bosses tell him, as opposed to the real corporate oligarchs that run the things. And by the way, it's a good policy. Like a beer can't We're gonna do a beer mountains ridiculous. A good job, usher?
Speaker 4: Next, all right, Yeah, you made some good points there.
Speaker 2: Okay, my heart wasn't really in it, but I did my best.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Gary Payton Senior took to Twitter to question Steve Kurr and the Warriors coaching about his son Gary Payton. The first, Yeah, Junior, not playing defend this dad embarrassing his son on game one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're when you are, Gary Peyton, did you know Gary Payton, when you played against Steve Kerr in the finals and ate his lunch pin. When you when you have actual credibility, then you're allowed to say whatever the hell you want. I mean, that's he says. That's on the coaching staff of Gold State. Listen, I am not a big fan of random dad's chiming in, but this isn't LeVar ball. Gary Peyton, he might know a thing or two. He's played in the finals, he's been he's an all time great player. He's on our fifty Greatest of Last fifty years list. Maybe Steve Kirk could learn a thing or two from Gary Payton senior. So who's gonna tell Gary Payton to stop talking? No? No, no, Gary Payton Senior, talk more. I got no problem with whatsoever? Next?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: MLB teams are increasingly using position players to pitch during blowouts. In one game, both teams use position players to pitch. Defend this as being fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, this is my hardest one yet. So I'm defending I'm defending blowouts in baseball games. Yeah, yeah, you know what. Your honor, your honor. I need to recuse myself from the case. Why, sir, conflict of interest? What's your conflict of interest? I don't like baseball? Okay, all right, fair enough?
Speaker 4: Next? Okay on Sunday? Yeah you wait, hold on play?
Speaker 2: Is there an extra one don't we have a bonus one?
Speaker 4: Is this is a bonus one? Oh? Okays, see what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, On Sunday, there's a little Demont's internal monologue for the podcast viewers and listeners. Go ahead on Sunday.
Speaker 3: On Twitter, you claim Michael Jordan's switch hand layup was somehow not impressive.
Speaker 4: Uh, some folks think that you're a hater. Yeah, defend yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay. So here's the deal that that is a still shot. We can't show you the full video on if you're watching, but everyone knows this because it has been just absolutely forced down our throats for thirty years as if this is one of the greatest moments in NBA history. It flatly is not. Here's the thing, Jordan might be the greatest player ever. I don't think he is, but obviously there is a strong case to be made for him. But that doesn't mean we have to mythologize everything about him. Jordan was once he started winning titles, was not a great highlight producer. He was he was so fundamentally sound and such a killer, and his mid rangels unstoppable. He it's the greatest fadeaway jump shot ever. But those things aren't great highlights. He's only really great, truly great highlights the latter half of his career are the jump shots to win playoff games and win the finals. Those obviously are great moments, but because like.
Speaker 3: Here's my point, it's not logo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's from early in his career in the in the slam dunk contest. Absolutely, But if you think about the highlights you see forever throughout NBA, his they're these amazing feats of athleticism and then a couple basic ass Jordan plays like the highlights that live forever. It's like, holy shit, doctor j jumped, put the ball behind the backboard, hung in the air, got it around to the other side. It's like, is he the only person in the world who could do it? Vince Carter jumped over a seven foot three inch French dude and ended his career. It's like, is that the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life? Say, even Steph Curry, the eerie one unanimous MVP, You're you're in overtime against Katie and Russ. There's four seconds left. He just pulls up casually from forty two feet bang. It's like, holy crep Lebron is thirty feet behind. The play tracks down, Iguadala pins it the Shaquille O'Neal. He pulled the basket down and it hit him in the head. These are the iconic moments. And then it's like and Michael Jordan once had a spin move baseline and kind of dunked on Patrick Ewing. And another time Michael Jordan switched hands on a layup. Holy look at this.
Speaker 3: So basically what you're what you're saying is basketball has just come a long way.
Speaker 4: That's that's what that's It's.
Speaker 2: Not just the basketball's come a long way. It's that doctor J's thing stands the test of time like that it was forty years ago. He put the ball behind the backboard, brought it back.
Speaker 4: That's that's not happening off like I don't.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it. I've never seen it done by the way Jordan versus Dominique slam dunk contest stands the test of time. Jordan did a true free throw line dunk with a pump that was that stands the test of time. His in game highlights wait for young young Michael pre Scotty and Phil Michael. Those in game of highlights are unbelievable, that his game adjusted, and people, just the iconographers about Jordan that oh my god. I mean, people were like this play thirty one years ago today look at it, and it's like, look at it? What am I looking at? An unnecessary switch hands in the air layup. People were like, oh, he could never have been done before. Of course had been done before. Larry Bird hit hitting a critical shot from behind the backboard. That's an amazing highlight. Magic's full court bounced past no look on one hop in transition seventy feet. It's not just about the era, it's it's that you know who also didn't have unbelievable highlights, Tim Duncan. But nobody tries to be like, oh, on this date eighteen years ago, Tim Duncan banked in this seventeen Holy molly. I just it's enough. We don't a guy can be maybe the greatst ever and not everything he did is the greatest ever. I'm not a hater. I'm right, We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the dude at Disney World, Yeah, this steals the ring. What's your take on that?
Speaker 3: I don't want to go as far as say it's disgusting, but I really don't like it. I believe that people should take their jobs seriously. But like, bro, it's gonna be like two more minutes backs.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me defend that guy for a moment. Is this is kind of you? Yeah, it's just listen. I don't like the guy. I don't like the guy, but as is always the case, we don't we we are. So I'm gonna use my buddy Lazlo says this all the time, and he's right. I'm gonna make a global warming point here, okay, and it'll apply. The planet is melting. We're all eventually, you know, gonna be totally screwed. And somehowpen It's like, hey, regular Americans in plastic straws, you're ruining the world as opposed to these multinational corporations pumping out smog and emissions in an hour more than any human being would in a thousand lifetimes. That's the same thing that's happening here. That guy doesn't want to stop proposals, but the old Walt Disney Corporation has told him his job is to not let anybody stand there. Now, he should have cut them off at the pass shouldn't have let it get that far. The one can argue, once it's gotten that far, let them have the moment.
Speaker 3: You can say that this guy doesn't want to break up proposals as much as you want, but the demeanor of this man after he broke up this proposal does not seem like a guy that didn't enjoy what.
Speaker 4: He just did. Okay, but you can listen.
Speaker 2: I've seen it. I've seen the look on his face. And by the way, she got the proposal, and she got the whole thing, and now the whole world saw it. And this is he's he's he's telling them, come on, if you notice there's another guy there in purple doing the same thing, saying come on, I would be upset if I were that guy. I don't blash for the upset. Okay, now let again, let me defend that guy. You know what I see when I watch that video.
Speaker 4: You see a guy that loves his job.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I see a guy who every decision he's ever made in his life has led him to the point. It's where he's standing out in ninety eight degree Florida weather wearing Mickey Mouse ears, where he has his major responsibility is chastising people if they're running or stepping on the wrong things. Whatever it is. It's not a great you know what. He's not exactly you know. I feel like picking on him is is a little bit of bullying. He's not the powers that be, he doesn't love his gig. It's not like, ah, what could you do? He's like, well, had an opportunity to go work at Goldman. But I think I'm gonna see how these Mickey Mouse bouncer ears work for me for another six months. See if I can see if I get the promotion to the guy who gets to press the button to start the tea cup ride. I mean, get cut that guy a break, and I'm gonna say something else.
Speaker 4: Those people were just being too happy in front of them that No.
Speaker 2: I don't know good you know what. I also, I'm not a huge fan of the guy. Thats not a you know what. I feel like there's no winners in this, all.
Speaker 3: Right, you you raise you raised some fair points that the guy still on my bad side.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the Jordan thing a little bit more. I think I want to prove to America how basic that Jordan play was. Because I had these clowns again, you should lose your Let me read some of the tweets I got. Let me see if I can find them again. A verified check mark probation should be a thing, because I've got uh, I've got let me find the people. Dude from the Bay Area saying tell me you hate Michael Jordan without telling me you hate Michael Jordan, whatever, this guy who writes for the New York Daily News. When sports media members have silly takes like this, the only comeback should be can you do better? And by the way, he wasn't the only one who said that. There was another guy who considers himself some NBA scout who says, what were you doing in nineteen ninety one? Nick, I can guarantee you something basketball related. Guys, I want to make this very cool. When people who are in sports media criticize an athlete or point out something about hey, that wasn't done right or that's not as good as people make it out to be, no one is arguing they could themselves. The argument is, it's so it's such an absurd thing. And I don't mind when random folks are but when other media members are like, oh, I'd like to see you try. No you when I When I'm saying Draymond Green is not a good offensive basketball player, I am not saying that I could guard him. I'm not saying I could do better. Just like if someone's like, hey, I thought the latest Julia Roberts movie fell flat, They're like, oh, I'd like to see you on the silver screen. I couldn't do that, Jordan Leup, However, I bet you can.
Speaker 4: I could.
Speaker 2: I want to make this clearer and I don't want to be disrespectful to your basketball career. Demanse was not an NBA player. Demanse was not a Euro League player. Demande played some college basketball.
Speaker 4: And was dominant in his last few games.
Speaker 2: Okay, that that is true. That is true, and I was there for what Demonte was an excellent basketball player. However, nobody was like, hmm, Demanse or job, who's going to be a tough. Demande was a very good amateur basketball player who I would say is mostly out of practice. You play some, but you play. You played the least basketball of your life in the last eighteen months. Yes, right, you've got a real job. You got other things going on. Okay, before we're on the air, again, we are going to go to Riverbank or Rutger or somewhere. You are going to attempt the Jordan layup, and we are going to debut it on the next show we have.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna attempt to lay up.
Speaker 2: Do you think you can do it?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: I think unless there's like some like huge degree of difficulty that I'm not keeping mind. But I've seen the layup, like I.
Speaker 2: Here's the degree of difficulty along with the Jordan layup. Can you get roughly forty million Americans to believe it's an all time great play that parts really hard. Actually doing it not that difficult at all. We'll have that for you for the next episode. This was what's right