Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson, I am all in podcasts, all in productions. iHeart radio, I heart media, iHeart what else. I heart what I heart.
Speaker 3: We're about to have a debate.
Speaker 1: Oh we are, we are. I'm gonna be in Tupelo, Mississippi like a good country song home of Elvis Presley if you know who that is. He's just an obscure country singer in the fifties and sixties and seventies and eighties, March sixteenth through eighteen, Tupelo Comic Con, and then I'm heading over to Nashville to write some songs.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe I'll see everybody in Nashville. It sounds like, you know, there's we're gonna throw down in the Who's Gal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I should just do it now or if we should wait till we get to it. But I'll wait.
Speaker 1: Let's do the synopsis and then you can open up the ball on us, okay, because I'm feeling feisty. I'm ready to go at it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you and I will agree or not.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling we're not going to agree and this is not a setup. Ladies and gentlemen anyway, Super Cool Party People, Episode twenty. We're almost done, Season six, gag Mine Travid cruse Is and French Danielle Romo, Taras sued Amy Sugarman. Referee is Miles Lane. And here we are at Caesar's Palace. Let's get.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we're all going to agree or disagree. I actually we don't know that ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we do not.
Speaker 3: I just thought about this episode for days.
Speaker 1: Everybody is so busy this Schedgele's so cramped. We don't have the time to get together and debate this before.
Speaker 3: Right, we don't do a pre debate.
Speaker 1: We we don't know we do.
Speaker 2: That's what makes this more exciting.
Speaker 4: Egs, the raw, authentic emotions come out.
Speaker 1: sEH, It's like it's like it's like professional wrestling with microphones. Who's going to do the synopsisizations? I think it's Danielle, right, I.
Speaker 4: Think I'll do it. Ka guys, all right, this is season six, episode twenty, Super Cool Party People. Air date April twenty fifth, two thousand and six. Rory rushes to be with Logan at the hospital after he is seriously injured during a stunt with a Life and Death brigade. Lor Life finally gets some time with April when she jumps in to save Luke from hosting a disastrous birthday party, but not everyone is happy about it.
Speaker 1: Mm well, I think.
Speaker 3: Well is right? Okay, why doesn't everybody say how they felt about the episode? And then I'll give my sort of thing that's been bothering me for four days.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a fantastic episode. Yeah, I thought this, and it got me at the end. And I'm telling you, I got emotional at the end. Uh, I don't know. And I was searching my my data banks to figure out why I was getting so emotional and interesting it hit me right away. I know exactly why I loved this episode so because it was parents caring about their yeah and the way parents should care about their kids, and it was people loving each other the right way. And it really got me. It really really got me.
Speaker 3: Anyway, this is gonna be a conversation. I think let's just start with that.
Speaker 1: Go Suzanne, hang on, I gotta go get my brass knuckles. I'll be right back.
Speaker 5: No, I So I was thinking about this during the past week since we recorded the last episode, because when I gave the last episode a seven point five, you guys couldn't believe that I ranked it that low. I don't think seven point five is that low out of ten, but first but.
Speaker 1: Really low, Like.
Speaker 5: What constitutes a good episode? Like are we are we ranking it based on the quality of the writing or how funny it is or how it makes us feel?
Speaker 3: Look, so I think that I think there will be above.
Speaker 1: I think write all of the above, and how engaged we are in the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, And.
Speaker 5: So an episode like this, like I watch Gilmore Girls because it's comforting and it's funny, and I watch an episode like this and I come away feeling anxious and depress. So to me, that wasn't that grave of an experience. Even though there were some great lines and it was well written, it didn't make me feel good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, see, I don't watch it to feel good. I watch it to feel Yeah, yeah, I am.
Speaker 5: That's all I do is feel So I want to watch Gilboard Girls and it's fat and and just have a good experience instead of just trying to get through the day.
Speaker 2: But It's also different because we're watching like in the past, when I'd watch and I just binge it. I feel like I didn't feel that way because I just like roll into the next Poe Who. But maybe it's because you're like isolating the episodes too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that could be.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: We'll get into it. But I'm mad at all of them in this episode. I'm mad. We'll get mad at Anna. I'm mad at Laura.
Speaker 3: I like, I'm not at Anna Ish.
Speaker 4: But I watched Friends, not at anybody. I'm not mad at.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at him. I'm less mad at Mitcham.
Speaker 3: I'm not that mad at Mitcham. Either I watch Friends or Seinfeld or something for a chuckle right modern family. I watch this, I watch Sex and the City, I watch The West Wing, I watch Walking Dead to feel something. I don't go in having a requirement that it has to make me feel unicorns and rainbows. It's it's I want to feel.
Speaker 1: I think. I think this demonstrates the This shows versatility, its ability to do drama comedy all in one swoop. It's breathtakingly difficult to do. Each episode has a unique flavor to it, whether it's shaded more to the comedy side more. And and here's the thing that I found unique. And this is me being subjective, Okay, I cannot be objective about this, because you know, Luke provided the comedy in this episode. He was the funniest guy in the episode. And I was really delighted by that because I forgot all about this and everybody else was doing the drama and he was sort of the same one of the central figures in the Drumaself without Emily and Richard, showing again how versatile this cast can be. The The the Anna dynamic with Laurel and Luke and all that entails was the thing that really got me watching parents care about their kids and protecting their kids and and and Rory protecting her boyfriend and yeah, meeting and and and you know, everybody having that Shirley McClain moment, Uh, you give the pills to my daughter now, and freaking you know, this kind of thing that you're asked down here, and you you see your son.
Speaker 3: She was not playing, even though he was. The boys were playing. At first, they they were very jokey, right, and then it's much for Rory in this episode, because yeah, she really loves him.
Speaker 1: I think some of these characters took on a heroic I've never loved Laurel I more and seen her as this kind of you know, black belt in life. In any situation, she can make it better and fuller and full of joy. She was rather brilliant in this episode, and I really think her leading this series is an incredibly wise choice on Amy's part, and what an actress that she got.
Speaker 3: You really see that when you have Sherylyn Finn and Lauren Graham in the same scene, you really see like, oh, that was almost Laura Lai.
Speaker 1: But I thought Shelon Finn could have pulled off fine.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think it would have been a bit of a different.
Speaker 1: It would have been.
Speaker 3: It just it's Eric Stoltson, Michael J. Fox and back to the future. I don't know if you've ever seen the scenes, we don't know that it would have been bad. It just wasn't as funny. I think Lauren Graham brings Michael J.
Speaker 1: Fox, Yeah, the special, there's something extra special there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I just thought it was a really heroic, versatile, unexpected, deeply emotional episode. For me, it was the deepest episode in recent memory. And emotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's so. I watched it a few days ago, almost like a week ago, and it stayed with me multiple parts. If I, if I, if you'll indulge me to just bring up those topics. Number One, Amma being so angry at Luke because Laura I play on the birthday. I have real conversations I want to have about that. Number two, Anna's so Lorlai going to see Anna. I want to see what you all think of that. Anna's response, I'll give my quick opinion on it, valid in that she wants to protect her daughter from a woman who's gonna come and go from her life. But it's almost like she's talking out of both sides of her mouth because in this case, for me, Lauraai is engaged. They've been friends and together forever, so judging by what Anna's saying, Laurai checks all the boxes.
Speaker 6: And now that the problem is she never met her, she's a stranger.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter that. And when she said, nobody plays fast and loose with my kid, and she's one hundred percent right, I understand that. But as Anna said, Luke is still in the audition phase.
Speaker 5: Audition and get to take the moral high ground here because she.
Speaker 1: I think she doesn't get away from her.
Speaker 3: That's what thank you. I really want to talk about the fact that.
Speaker 1: But hang on a second.
Speaker 6: That's a good point, that's an excellent point, But it doesn't negate the fact that Anna raised that child. It doesn't negate the fact and she has got an ultimate responsibility for that child's wellbeing.
Speaker 4: We also have to realize Luke has not brought around LAURAAI yet to me and have built a relationship with with April. So from Anna's viewpoint, I personally think rightfully, so she is a stranger. Whether she is engaged to Luke or not, she is still a stranger. She has never hung out with her daughter. She Anna has never hung out with Laura. I has never even had a conversation. So yeah, like anybody's valid.
Speaker 3: Does anybody want Luke to say to Anna, you kept my kid from me for twelve years and now you're telling me what you want me to do. I've been nothing but fair to you. I'll see you in court.
Speaker 1: No, no, yourself, you.
Speaker 3: Get my kid from me? Why though, Scott, why are you not mad because took your kids?
Speaker 1: Because we're twelve years now, we're past that. I don't think we are because ship has sailed.
Speaker 3: I was past it until this episode.
Speaker 1: Do you know why that ship has sailed? Because he's accepted the conditions and the terms that Anna said. I get that to have quote unquote unofficial until this episode at times custody of that child's court. Oh god, no, no, no, you're the father, Scott, you are the father of the child. But that's not the way you play it. It is doesn't benefit the child.
Speaker 3: It is now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't benefit the child to do that, It doesn't benefit you.
Speaker 3: Luke has been nothing but good, right, kind, fair, and I think although I understand what she's saying, she has now crossed the line and flexed so hard with she it's equally your child.
Speaker 1: Like we don't know anything about their relationship.
Speaker 3: We know that she did not tell you you have a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe there was a reason for that.
Speaker 3: Name me a possible reason that.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously she didn't want Luke back then a part of her.
Speaker 3: Or that's that's not her choice.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 5: When he went over there, she told him that she didn't tell him because she said he didn't like kids. That was her reasoning, which I'm sorry that I agree.
Speaker 3: I was cool with her until she just really pushed it too hard.
Speaker 5: Because keeping Anna from Luke, I mean, keeping April from Luke hurts April too, Like her daughter didn't know her father for twelve years hurts. That hurts April too. It's not just about Luke, It's about April too.
Speaker 3: And then flexing so much control. And look, we all know I have been team Luke on this. I always felt it was a Luke slash Anna decision, right, but now Luke has made this decision to bring lor Light in in a very like minor way, by the way, that it's not. Anna doesn't get to come and scream at Luke and then flex on Lorli. Lor Li has been nothing but cool, followed everybody's quote rules, and it was a birthday party.
Speaker 4: Look, I think the issue here is uh for any every situation that is absolutely correct. However, and I'm not I'm not saying that this makes it right. But Luke is very new to the picture, and so we have to understand that Anna's not going to just be like, well, you're her dad, so go with it. But he's new to the picture because she lied, but she lies, I understand that. I understand that, but you have to understand where she's coming from. She's raised this daughter for the last twelve years by herself. That right, she basically kidnapped. However you want to look at it, kidnapped or raise the daughter. She has been the one solely raising this kid, whether it's right or wrong. Wrong, So okay, I agree, so wrong however we want to see it. But you now bring in a dad to the picture, right, and she's trying to navigate that on top of now not trying to navigate his fiance. I think we just have to realize that she's had all this control for so so long, and now she's kind of feels like she's losing it a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, she should have handled it a different way. My beef is with Anna. Look, Luke could have handled it better, right, He could have called her and you know, been a bit more communicative about Lorlai being there. But let me put it to you guys this way. And I again, I've been very on the side of supporting Luke in his decision because I felt like it was his and Anna's to make say that Luke and Anna found out they were pregnant and they're in it together. She's pregnant, and then she births the baby and decides to take the baby and it goes off just like she did for twelve years. That's kidnapping. Kidnapping, Okay, So why are we so like, well, this is what Anna wants and she's been raising the kid and it should really be her rules. No, she took the kid away, never gave Luke the opportunity to be a father. That is not okay with me. It's weird, frankly, And I don't think we have enough.
Speaker 1: I don't think Wow, I.
Speaker 3: Think it is criminal.
Speaker 1: Frankly, I don't think we have enough information. You may be right, I don't know, but I don't think we have enough information about the nature of their relationship. I think we can, we can speculate on it given the very little information we have about it. But we pointed out we don't know the nature of that relationship.
Speaker 4: But there's so many circumstances. Obviously Luke is not a bad person, we know that.
Speaker 1: But it's not a black and white situation. Yeah, there's a lot of gray. There's a lot of gray here.
Speaker 5: Should we go to the top and go through because.
Speaker 3: But does nobody else not see gray to me like that she it just finally hit me this week, like she took the kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we don't know, but why does Why are many reasons why people do that? Whether again, you guys, flip it right, flip it.
Speaker 3: Say that a surrogate, so that say that Luke, no you guys, yes.
Speaker 4: You guys, it's not comparable taking the kid like it's.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, I didn't. You didn't let me finish because a man can't carry the child. So say that there's Luke and Anna make a baby and a surrogate carries it. The baby is born, and Luke takes it away from the mother for twelve years and then finally says, oh, my kid wants to do a DNA test. How are you guys kidding me? Why are we giving Anna so much leeway? She took his kid, never told him about it. What is the reason that that's okay? Just give it to me and I'll hear you that.
Speaker 1: We don't have an answer. We don't know. We don't know. The surf.
Speaker 2: I think that's where the gray area is is like that's the gray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what is what is a make up a reason, make up a reason that makes it okay?
Speaker 1: What I mean, it's already been pointed out. What if after repeatedly telling Anna twelve thirteen, fourteen years ago, listen, I have no interesting kids, I don't want to have it.
Speaker 3: And he can say I don't want this kid.
Speaker 1: Well, he might not have been aware of it. Maybe they broke up when she was you know, before she even knew she was pregnant.
Speaker 4: But let's let's just say he's.
Speaker 3: Totally it's his kid. It's not her kid, you guys, just because she's carried the baby. It's his kid. And this finally hit me this week. Why am I okay that she took the kid for twelve years? So I'm just finally telling you guys, I'm not okay with it. It's not okay.
Speaker 4: I know it is literally not okay.
Speaker 1: Again, I think we're operating with very little information here.
Speaker 4: I agree there's a guy, how long. There's so many, so many reasons. There's so many reasons a woman can move on without the father and not want the father a part of the picture. There's many reasons.
Speaker 3: Right, we don't know what they say. They're correct. If he's abusive, a criminal, an alcoholic. He is none of those things.
Speaker 4: How do you know that.
Speaker 3: I know Luke? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: How do you know that people change? I'm just saying we don't. We don't. We don't know the nature of Luke and Anna's relationship. We don't know that.
Speaker 3: It doesn't I don't care about the nature of their relationship. I care about knowing him and her. So please, you, guys, I'm not trying to be an ass. Give me a reason why it's okay that Anna took his kid away. Give me a reason.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they were having some really like verbally abusive arguments, so then they.
Speaker 3: Don't stay together. I mean, still again, why about she said? Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 5: She told him because he didn't like kids.
Speaker 1: Right, that's yeah, she didn't like that, That's what she said.
Speaker 3: We know the reason, and that doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: He's still he still deserves to have that information.
Speaker 3: How can any of you guys say that that is justifiable reason to not tell a person about their kid. Well, it's not so what I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you, that's the only reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know Luke, you know him.
Speaker 3: We all know him, you guys. We don't act like we just met this guy.
Speaker 2: We know him, but I think I think it is happening for for that like I think that we know as the audience, we know Luke, but maybe Anna didn't know him in that same life.
Speaker 3: She dated him for so long. What are you talking about? You guys? You guys are making up things that we know not to be true.
Speaker 4: I think it's I don't think making up anything.
Speaker 3: I remember when you mop in the diner. Whatever she said, she fully knows. Anna sucks. She took the kid. It's not okay, it's not okay. And then now.
Speaker 1: Look, everybody in the audience is listening. The problem with Amy is you can't tell how she feels about it.
Speaker 4: Actually, she's pretty gray.
Speaker 3: I'm so emotional about it because it's like I understand that I appreciate you guys trying to defend amma. Why the hell we're trying to defend her. I don't know. She seems fine, right, she's she's a good mom, but she took his kid, right, and I've been playing by her rules and being very supportive of her. But never until a few days ago, what what am I doing?
Speaker 4: Like he'd I think you're also looking at it knowing the other side of it, you know, based off of what we've seen. We know Luke, we know Laura, we know Rory, but she doesn't. It doesn't law to understand that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm so sorry, and I know everyone's gonna be like you up to Danielle. Okay, your piece, Danielle, but give me a reason.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's okay that Anna took his kid away for twelve years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe, okay, So your argument is it's a good one. It maybe it's not. Okay, Okay, I can see where you're coming from, But at this point in time, this is a completely different show. If he follows your advice and says, you know, blank, Anna, I'm getting a lawyer see in court. That's not Gilmore Girls. And that's not that we don't get the entertainment value of the show, fair right, Okay. So it's better to see people trying to do their best under difficult circumstances and coming together as a community for the sake of this child. Because because if it gets because if it gets that contentious with the courtrooms and legal and it's going to damage the child. So I like seeing these people str to do the right thing. By April, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love what you're saying, totally love what you're saying. And I feel like, up until this moment, everybody's been doing that right. Laura Lai's been doing right by Luke because this is what he wanted. We're all being very respectful of Anna. Luke has been so respectful of everybody until Anna came and screamed at Luke for having his fiance help with a birthday party that was super lame and needed to be better for the good of the child. Then Loralai goes and tries to do the right thing by.
Speaker 4: Saying one thing, Can I add one thing there? Of course, it's not just that. The one thing that she kept saying is that she had a sleepover and Lorlai was in the room with the girls that I can sympathize with. My kid is not going to be at a sleepover with another adult I don't know.
Speaker 3: So would it have been better sleep Absolutely?
Speaker 4: No, Actually non with an adult. They don't know adult, They don't know the girls.
Speaker 5: All the girls, including April called their parents.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 5: So if a parent was not okay with it, they could have told their kid, no, you need to come home.
Speaker 3: Exactly. And also they could have said.
Speaker 5: Hey, let me talk to the adult that's going to be there.
Speaker 1: You think about it, I'm going to Nobody called April. I mean, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Nobody April called her. They show her on the phone with her.
Speaker 1: Because she thought it was just Luke in the room, And yeah, it's weirder.
Speaker 3: If it's Luke number two. When your kids are thirteen, I guarantee you they will go to slumber parties at people's houses that you might know the mom and you don't know the dad, or you've met the dad. Like that is how the world works, like your kid makes or not.
Speaker 4: You sleepovers at people's houses that my parents didn't know all the time.
Speaker 5: Like you, you would have said, no, you can't sleep over, you need to come home. The girls slept over had permission from their parents exactly.
Speaker 3: And I had sleepovers for sure at Christine Borkenhagen's and I don't know that my mom was best friends with her dad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but we came from a different amy. We're a little older than these kids, and we came from a different world where things weren't so unsafe.
Speaker 3: Well, Findam's point makes the best.
Speaker 1: My especially my planet. We did that all the time. Everybody knew each other, everything was safe, doors were unlocked.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: That is not the world we live in.
Speaker 3: And Suzann Suzana makes a great point, which is they all called their moms.
Speaker 5: They call their parents. Like as if my kid called me and said, can I spend the night, It's incumbent on me as the parent to make sure that's a safe situation for kids. So I wasn't comfortable with it. I wouldn't let my kids stay. So presumably anyone that spent the night that night was had their parents okay, or they wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Have spent the night. But Anna keeps Anna keeps saying that she thought it was just Luke that so she so she did she did give her consent for her to sleep over at her dad's place. Yeah, yes, she did give that consent.
Speaker 3: Engaged, Like I understand I'm double talking because I have been very supportive of when it was Luke's decision. But like they're engaged. That would be like saying, Okay, you can sleep at your dad's house, but his wife has to leave, Like it's just totally no.
Speaker 1: But she may is a distinction between married and engaging. People get engaged all the time, and they don't doesn't she said, she said, when you're married then you know, then come talk to me. Why do you make that commitment?
Speaker 2: I think the difference is like Lorala wasn't there when the party started, where Anna could go meet her. I think that also she just.
Speaker 4: Hasn't met her at all.
Speaker 2: She hasn't met her.
Speaker 3: But like, let's she shouldn't have kidnapped kid for twelve years, maybe she could have met everybody.
Speaker 2: I do think that if like this would have been a little different if like Lorala was at the diner, maybe like she wasn't saying for the party, but she happened to be there when it started, met Anna, And if Anna had her own issues with it, she could.
Speaker 3: Have confronted then and why isn't Anna at the party? It's her kids? Where are you Anna?
Speaker 5: They made some comment, Yeah, they explained why, something about going to her grandmother's I can't remember, but they did say that there was some reason Anna changed the date of the party.
Speaker 1: But I think I think I think it was maybe it was Anna, Maybe they she did have a little legit excuse, But it's a big responsibility, it's it's it's deepening of the trust between Anna and Luke. Right, who are forming another relationship that isn't you know, romantic, So this is a friendship relationship. This is two people that used to be together and used to be in love and have a child together unbeknownst to Luke, and and he didn't, in her estimation, make the right the right steps to make trust. She's trusting Luke a lot. Now this is like, this is like another level of trust. You throw her the birthday party, all the girls are going to be there. I trust you to do this. It's a big step for Luke. Right.
Speaker 3: So what if Rory or Lane were there helping with the party and they decided to sleep over, No problem.
Speaker 1: I think it's got to be cleared with Anna. She's got to know who's at the party.
Speaker 3: Now, Anna ditched her kid to go to the question with especially teenagers, because teenagers can invite their boyfriends and then their friends. And then if you're gonna let your ex boyfriend the baby's father throw the birthday party, hey for the party, plan the party, do the entire party, and be responsible for these kids all day long. But you're saying, but he's not responsible enough to then choose who tends the sleepover portion, like, it doesn't make sense, you, guys, It's totally idiotic that she's like, you're fine to go on a ten day trip with him for her school, but you're not then smart enough to decide that your fiance can be a part of the sleepover. It's idiotic.
Speaker 1: You're asking for a reason. Maybe if something in Anna's past that almost got her killed or kidnapped or whatever, her parents were looking the other way, didn't vet the people closely enough, and she's just reacting to that. So she promised herself if she ever had a kid, that she's never going to take a chance. She's never gonna let anybody play faster kid. It won't She's fine with Luke, she has a side caution.
Speaker 3: No problem with Luke, who she hasn't seen in twelve years, really either. No problem with Luke staying with the ten, fifteen, twelve year olds. It doesn't make sense. She's just talking gibber jabber, nonsense out of both sides of her mouth. I think nonsense.
Speaker 2: What I also took from it was I think that Anna also taking April for so long. I think she likes the contry of her kid, and I think that she has control that her kid was dropped off with Luke, but she didn't have control that Laura l I was also there. And I think that she feels like now that the what about the clown?
Speaker 3: What if there was a clown at the party or a man of hearists? Like what are we talking about?
Speaker 2: You guys?
Speaker 3: She all kid and all the friends with Luke and now she's having a cow. It just doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 4: It's just like, come on, it was Tatara's point, like she dropped off April at Luke's place to do just a quick little party that then turned into a sleepover, which then turned into Luke's fiance being at the sleepover and sleeping in the same room as the girls at the sleepover. I think there was just all these things that weren't a part of the original plan, which, like it's weird because I watched this episode and I'm not mad at anybody. I'm not mad at Lorelai, I'm not mad at Luke, I'm not mad at Anna, I'm not mad at April. I'm not mad at anybody. I actually see how everybody actually, like how they made their decisions and how they felt in those decisions. Does that make sense, Like, I'm not mad at anybody. I actually, totally.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at anybody either. I think everybody's just doing the best they can. And so Anna has a freak out because, as Daniel rightly points out, it was supposed to be a little party couple hours and then that's it. Anna gets April back and relief and it all went well, great, I trust Luke enough to do a little couple hour party during the day, and then it turns into a slumber party, which was Laurelized idea, not Luke's, which she said yes to, which okay, which but still she doesn't want to be the party pooper and she doesn't want to disappoint her kid. But this wasn't in the plan, and now it makes her nervous and she's having to deal with the stress all night. She probab didn't sleep all night? No sure, sure sure, because she was worried to death. Something's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Why didn't she come? She could have just come to the party. Hey, yeah, you're having a sleepover, kay, I'll come join.
Speaker 4: I think I think if you like, if you think about it, April came home. April was had the best time ever. Loved it. It was exciting and fun. She tells her mom. We had a sleepover, Laura Lai put face masks on, she curled our hair, she read his book Whatever you Do at simp over parties. And she's probably like, who's Laura? Like, oh, well, this is dad's fiance. How come I haven't met her? Why is she with you? If I haven't met her?
Speaker 3: Like that is a very real thing, because I kidnapped my kid for twelve Okay.
Speaker 4: But you got to remove that.
Speaker 3: You have to mad that. Why though, Tell me why I have to remove.
Speaker 4: It, Because even if Anna and Luke just broke up the year before, I would still feel the same way.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. If they broke up a year before.
Speaker 4: Why does it make it different.
Speaker 3: Because he would have been involved in the child's life the whole time, and they would have been raising the child together, and they would have had established the familial unit. Being that and then the mother gets to have a conversation. It goes both ways, right, Luke can say, Look, if you're going to introduce your significant other to April, I'd like to meet that person first. Vice versa. Right, And when did Anna ever say to Luke she can't meet Loralai? When did that ever happen?
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's what I think is going on underneath the surface here. I think Anna is jealous. Yeah, yeah, I think she's having I think she flipped out on Luke because she realizes that ship is sailed. And in a prime previous scene when they were Anna and Luke were in the day and talking about the party dropping her off, and then there was something going on with Anna towards Luke. There was a vibe.
Speaker 4: There was definitely some flirty flirt.
Speaker 1: The flirty flirt stuff too happening, Maybe not so much from Luke, but it was definitely coming from Anna. So I think Anna had some kind of scenario that maybe this is a good feeling and maybe maybe we're getting back together.
Speaker 3: I get that vibe.
Speaker 2: Going.
Speaker 3: That's fair, That's totally fair. I have to rewatch it. I think she's jealous because Loralai threw a dope ass party and she didn't.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I feel like she's jealous of the April Laurelei connection, not.
Speaker 3: Not the Luke thing, but I totally.
Speaker 5: Felt like she went to the diner part why don't she killed it Luke because she was trying to pick a fight, because she was jealous.
Speaker 4: I think it's all above, I think truly, Like, Yeah, she's jealous, of course. Yeah, she's uncomfortable that her daughter is there at a at a Slummer party with a different adult that she's never met. Yeah, she's upset that she's losing control. I think it's all these things.
Speaker 1: I think it's all about too Yeah. Yeah, anyway, let's move on. We've so much more in this episode. We really haven't. Really, it's exhausted.
Speaker 5: Opinions on all of it.
Speaker 3: Great makeup on Matt Zukree because he looked really Scott, you start leading us through the episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. Uh so, Laurela. We start out the episode forty five minutes into our podcast in the Dragonfly in kitchen, Laurel I has a rip snorter of a hangover and Suki like weirdly refers to Christopher as chivalrous the night in Shining Armor? Did it did that jar anybody? I mean maybe in this one circumstance, what else do Yeah, but it's weird.
Speaker 3: She's so like, right now, all about Christopher right, right right. Also weird that the one guy was banging the pots so loud.
Speaker 4: It's like, really, I know.
Speaker 1: It was so utterly staged, Susanna.
Speaker 5: The thing for me about that scene because at the end of the last scene she does the insane toast and then they hurry her off the stage. I thought that they took her home at that point, but then in this episode we find out that was just the beginning of the Loreley Show.
Speaker 3: She went on and try.
Speaker 1: That's why I said in the podcast, I wish they'd just let her talk keep talking, and they apparently they did, and we missed it, all right, So that was that. And now we're in the hospital and do we see Logan yet? I don't think we don't see see Logan yet. They just tell her that he's in serious but stable can dish And then we get to Finn and Colin. We're delightful and funny in this, I mean really really funny, but.
Speaker 3: A little bit of callous, Like their friend is basically half dead and they're like, yeah, they deserve the.
Speaker 1: Rory.
Speaker 2: I would have done the same thing.
Speaker 1: Probably, But how did we feel about that, Susanne, how did you feel about it?
Speaker 5: I mean, at the same time, you don't really expect anything more from them because just like.
Speaker 3: You, I thought it was perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that's how you expect them to act because they're just they don't have a serious bone in their body. Like everything is just a giant joke to them.
Speaker 1: It's like, put them back together and let's party. Come on, right, Yeah, yeah, get him back up on his feet and let's get back to Costa Rica. But yeah, Rory's stepping up. You know, she's really like, you know, she really didn't him. So now we're with Now we're with Grant Lee Phillips, Grant Lee Buffalo again making feel good.
Speaker 3: That was so crazy though. I felt like there were so many like background actors almost jumping into a girl.
Speaker 1: That came up to him and she just stared and started walking to him. I thought she was going to hit on him or something. I asked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, what's happening, you know?
Speaker 1: But it was. It was super cool to see him. So that's a nice pop. See. This is this is why this show is so great. You get that stuff you don't expect it, and then there he is there. He is the great one. You know, he's on tour the guy's on Toomas. I think he's going to be in Nashville, and I'm there. I'm going to be in Nashville after it. I'm going to Nashville. So now we're at Lukes, and Caesar has been running the show over at Lukes for ten days, and he's changed some menu items and some traditions and customs over there, and now he's clashing with Luke, who was back. And the cold bananas are no more and the signs are no more. Uh, let's let's talk about this. What did you guys think of this scene?
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting that everyone wanted a cold banana, like has come from.
Speaker 3: I don't even think you're supposed to.
Speaker 1: I don't put I refrigerate bananas. You do?
Speaker 4: Actually, I thought it makes the brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I like a cold banana in my cereal.
Speaker 2: Oh but does it?
Speaker 1: But does it? Well? Of course you no, no, no, peel it first, No way, I feel like that wreck. Yeah, you don't peel them. And if you peel them, you eat them. You know, That's what I tell my kid. I said, you peel that thing, you eat it. But like Charles Bronson.
Speaker 3: Frozen banana though, yeah, like yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Different, or even like just if you're like I put bananas in the freezers, then make smoothies like the next day or is thing. But I never heard of just bananas in the fridge.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, so you know, Lorela I comes in and they discussed the party, and he tells her about the party, and she offers her help and he rejects her. He says, now, without telling her why, he just says, no, I got this covered, and you know, and Luke Lurla I comes over. I'm sorry. Miss Patty comes over and says, don't worry, honey. You know, it may take a mule team to get Luke to the altar, but he'll get there, you know, this kind of thing. And she's looking a bit forlorn.
Speaker 5: I wish Miss Patty because that was when she said that she's the whole town is going with the endless love story, that she's saying endless love, and that they are covering up the whole thing about what she really said when she was at the mic, And I I wish Miss Patty hadn't done that, Like I wish that the truth had just come out and that Luke found out out what she was saying at the party, because I need Lorelai to stand up for what she feels and they need to have a conversation about this, and that could have been the trigger that forced it to happen. So I wasn't very happy with Miss Patty that she was participating in the cover up because I wanted it to come to a head and for the two of them to have a conversation about what's.
Speaker 3: Really going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a feeling that conversation is going to be a cliffhanger in season six, maybe it'll be two episodes in the future. I don't want it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say no, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: I just kind of have a feeling, all right. So now we're with Paris and Rory. On the telefano, she mentions the former president of Harvard, Larry Summers, Laurence Summers, who is the Treasury secretary under Obama Clinton. Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: I didn't even, oh sure get any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and these you know, they he announced that the Harvard was now giving open book exams. In Paris was railing against that. Why don't they just give us the answers? What's the point of all this? Why are they lowering their standards?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And and this is the uh, this is when Paris finds out. Is this when Paris makes the phone call.
Speaker 3: This is how Paris gets it done?
Speaker 1: Lover.
Speaker 4: It was fun you see the doctor all like?
Speaker 1: All right, So Paris calls the hospital to get the scoop because they won't give Rory since she's not family, any of the information on his condition, on Logan's condition. Paris gets the information very quickly, which was a cool scene and it makes you like Paris even more. Right, all right, so now we're now we're with Luke and Laurel I shopping and it's more of.
Speaker 2: It's like thing about the hospital bug anyone that she was wearing the same coat that she gave the Doyle.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought she was wearing that same weird outfit she wore to the wedding.
Speaker 2: Was it the whole out of the coat? Just really?
Speaker 3: I thought it wasn't the Doyle coat. It was that weird outfit she wore at the wedding that everybody like ripped on her fore and I'm like, oh, wear'st wadding.
Speaker 5: It was both it was that crappy skirt, but it was it was the Doyle jacket over it too.
Speaker 3: I guess she just got it back from Doyle.
Speaker 2: At some point, like through my life at that time, I was like, is this the Doyle jacket?
Speaker 3: I think she would have just figured out how to throw some sweats on for the drive, but for the hospital whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Sorry, Scott, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So now Luke and Laurel are outdoors shopping. In the background, you see the Warner Brothers Theater, which where they have what was the retrospective they were doing. Gosh, just Orson Wells. Yeah, so two big movies from Morrison Welles. And you know this kind of continues to set us up that Luke does not want Laurel I planning I mean of herself to help plan this party. And he says, do you.
Speaker 3: Believe Did you believe him when he says, and I can't remember if it's in this scene or shortly after, she's just going to like you more than me.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is this. I do believe him. He was being honest with her. You.
Speaker 5: I believed him, but I didn't think it was a good reason because if his kid likes Laurel I, then that's even more time that he's going to get to spend with her. Like, if she's spending time with Laurela, I, then he's going to be there too.
Speaker 2: So I think that likes that he has like April's his thing. I think he likes that.
Speaker 3: That would have been better if he said, you're going to meet her, You're going to spend time with her. She's going to love you. She's gonna like you more than me. But I need a little more time where it's just us. I would have been a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that's the whole conversation I'm waiting for them to have. And so when he that whole shopping trip he was to me, he was being so rude to her. And then when he like, She's like, well, I'll just wait here, I would have been like, hell no, I'm leaving. I'll see you later. Like I would have been pissed. I guess I'm just a mean person.
Speaker 4: But I don't think I was in that scene.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would have been pissed. I just I agree with you that there's so many conversations to have. And I'm not a fan of the threes Company episode. Do you know where it's like we all know she said it, but he doesn't know, and it's just like, oh God, like, can we just have these people communicate a little bit more? Like at least Anna and all her craziness doesn't like bottle it up. At least she's just like letting everybody hear it from her.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just think let's just respect Luke's here with his child. Yeah, you just got to respect his wishes that he doesn't need to explain everything to everybody. And it's like.
Speaker 5: Luke from the whole time, and she's been abiding by his wishes this whole time. I just want him to have a conversation with her because he's completely shut her out and he's not communicating with her even a little bit. And I just want him to reassure her.
Speaker 1: That he did communicate. What do you think he was saying to her.
Speaker 3: He was saying, you're not a part of this.
Speaker 1: Go away. He was admitting something. And this is this is Luke being vulnerable. This is how Luke gets vulnerable. He admitted to her that he wanted to he didn't want to get shoved aside by moralized spectacar personality, which which came to Fru a single day of his life and it came.
Speaker 3: To fruition in this very episode because she did come and make the party great. She did exactly what his fear was. But he finally also put his kid first and was like, I'm willing to do it because my kid's party sucks, the big one.
Speaker 1: He just needs some space and some time to form his own relationship with his own kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Luke the whole time on the I'm happy.
Speaker 4: I'm happy that Laura I has had her moment to shine with April, Like, I'm super happy about that, but I'm also kind of like I wish it wasn't when Luke was desperate, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, It's kind of sad, Like it made me feel sad for Laura, Like he wouldn't let her near her until he's desperate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now he needs help and now he needs to Well.
Speaker 5: She's useful to him, and then he'll let her in.
Speaker 3: That was a little bit of a bummer.
Speaker 4: That was a big bummer.
Speaker 5: And then she the party turned out great and he even said it was great. And you could see he was like when they were at the party and she opened the gift that was from Luke, you can see how excited he was, like it was turning out to be a good thing.
Speaker 1: And don't you have a little empathy for him? He just wants to be good at life and he's not. Hang on, let me finish. He's not good at life. He needs other he's he he needs other people with bigger, sunnier, more joyful personalities to get him to step up and breathe some fresh air, you know, because he's so into his own thing and his own whatever it is, right, he wanted to figure out with his own daughter and be good at this and be a good dad so he could feel better about himself and have this relationship with his daughter. He failed at it in this instant, and he failed miserably because that was.
Speaker 3: Just throwing a birthday party for but thatad's.
Speaker 1: Failing as a dad and to the point where he was so desperate to please his daughter to be the hero. Like now, it's like, call Laurai because I know she's great at this, and I just don't see it as a weak moment for Luke. I see it as him just wanting to be great at life.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, and.
Speaker 1: I felt bad for him, and that's I think one of the reasons this episode moved me so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he realizes. I think maybe he got to a place where he's going. I am a good dad, and one of the ways to be a good dad is to have help at throwing a tween I can't. Is she turning thirteen? Seems birthday party? Like very few dads. There are dads out there that would be great at it, but some would not be Luke in particular. So I thought good that he called Loralai and they are a team, right. There's also things that Luke is very good at that Lorali isn't, So I see a real balance today. Yeah, and like there's plenty of things that she needs from him, and it's nice that he needs something from her. But I also understand what everyone's saying is that it would have been nice if he wanted her to meet April, not in a desperate moment like okay, now it's time. So you know, the other thing is kind of like everything got thrown out the window, all his reasons for not letting April and laurall I be together, all of a sudden, they're just gone. So I thought that was a little bit quick for me too. Poof now it's just all fine, So.
Speaker 1: This is the This is the writer's trick, right, the writer's trick, and rought writers know, and what studios no, what networks? Now, if you give the fans everything they want when they want it, they get bored. So they're just toying with us. Right, we're having this discussion because the writing is so good because they're not given they're making us wait, they're making us long for it. They're creating contra versy. They are giving us characters with flaws. So if we're sitting around watching perfect characters, nobody's gonna watch that for long, right, People with no flaws are really boring. How are you gonna watch that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So this is just this is just really solid writing, you know anyway? All right, So that's it. He's not allowing her to throw the party. Uh, now we're with Then the next scene is Luke and Anna at the diner and Ana throwing Luke's and vibes. There were vibes getting tossed. You could feel that he was getting it all over them and he didn't. He kind of realized it, and it made him wake up a little bit and look at her a little different way. And it was a very Smiley, very energetic scene, but there was energy going yeah, I act there was. They were they were connecting again and it was on multiple levels, and it was like I written down here, Oh things are about to get interested.
Speaker 3: I noticed it just a tiny bit. I'd say, like maybe like they were more just like getting along, but you can interpret it however you want.
Speaker 1: They were really they were really getting along. This was like they were meeting for the first time and they really liked each other, but you know, they couldn't show it yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm interested if that's what everyone else thinks, like.
Speaker 1: This is the beginning, This is the beginning of a second chance for the two of them, and Lorli getting called into the rescue. Uh put a stop to that. Good right now?
Speaker 3: I don't I'm undecided on that. I'm interested what everyone listening thinks on that, because.
Speaker 1: I wasn't asking your opinion. I'm just stating fact.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm not giving my opinion. What I'm saying is I am very curious though. I'm curious what Pete if everyone else interpreted it the same, Because now I'm torn.
Speaker 1: I'm like, all right, now we're back at the Dragonfly, and I think this doesn't track. This is the one scene that didn't track for me is Michelle redesigning the Dragonflying website the giant picture of his face with the tackiest idea that would never come from Michelle.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like they just needed to give him something for the scene.
Speaker 1: But mister Good Taste of the World his world title of having the best taste of any human being in the world, and he makes this tacky the weird takeover of his giant face as the cover of the website, and you click his ear, you click his nose, you get the retivations, you click his tongue, you get something.
Speaker 3: That's like the weird Gilmore comedy that's sort of funny and sort of.
Speaker 1: Like what.
Speaker 5: Unnecessary. It didn't do anything for the plot. It just was like, oh, we need to get him into a scene, so let's just throw this one in.
Speaker 3: And no one's actually making a website like that with their face on.
Speaker 1: It, No they're not. And just get through the phone call with.
Speaker 2: R I was going to say, all you needed was the phone call. We could have skipped them a shell.
Speaker 1: Part, but you could have could But it's always good to see Michelle, but didn't track. For me. Uh. This is when Laurlai takes the call and uh Roy tells it Logan, it's been in an accident, and lurla I again steps up and she's super mom and can I send you or him a care package?
Speaker 4: You know what's weird? Why didn't she like, I feel like Lorlai would go.
Speaker 3: Or he's not her just Logan.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But now that you say it, Danielle, I actually agree with you. I didn't think about it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think she would have said do you need me to come help? And would have said right now, yeah? But can we talk about his injuries? A punctured lung, six broken ribs, internal bleeding, contusions and concussion and was in a coma.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what I have written here is, uh, does Logan have a death wish? I think he does. I think subconsciously he does. He's always jumping off of things and now he's jumped off the wrong thing with the wrong equipment, and he was drunk when he did it.
Speaker 2: Was it's like to escape his issues with his dad.
Speaker 1: This is a guy in serious crisis and he's masking it with all that charm and all that bravado and all the money and all the parties and all that stuff. He's in deep, deep pain. If you jump off of a cliff and you're drunk with a little throwaway parachute like that, you really are living on the edge. You don't really want to live. So what do you guys think of that?
Speaker 3: I think he's an idiot college kid doing daredevil crap and yeah, I mean backfire.
Speaker 5: He just he's still in that age group where people think they're indestructible and then nothing bad.
Speaker 4: Is going to happen.
Speaker 2: And his friends are all the same way too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so idiotic the social circle.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's like not. I mean, I think he tries to escape things like his dad and his relationship with Rory. That's why he like went on the trip. But I think everyone around him is encouraging it as well. So it's just like a part of the club, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because after that Martha's Vineyard weekend when his dad was like, you know, you're graduating and you're going to London, So he's like trying to.
Speaker 3: Get all the last minute partying in the right.
Speaker 1: Control, right mm hmm, Poor little rich boy.
Speaker 3: She looked hurt though, I'm telling you, I know, I said it once already. They really made him look made that gash on his cheek was very.
Speaker 1: Realistic, really looked.
Speaker 3: It almost was like was he hurt? Like and then they just worked it in and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh so anyway, Uh, now we're back at uh Luke's and uh he delivers the oh he.
Speaker 4: Speech.
Speaker 1: No he didn't give the now the parties it died, the birthday parties that did. These girls are sitting around playing cards. Uh so bad.
Speaker 4: I felt like I was watching like you know when you're on an airplane and they give you the safety instructions. It's like everybody, there are two exits on each.
Speaker 1: Side, right right. Yeah, I think I think Luke delivered a pretty funny speech there. I actually rewounded a couple of times and I was laughing. It was pretty good. Uh. But then now we're the party is a dud because everybody needs to use the bathroom and binds us out in the area.
Speaker 2: It's like, who needs to go to the bathroom and every girl.
Speaker 1: Up and then he calls Laurel I saying I'm in a panic. This is a dud. It's I'm blowing it. Help me, help me, help me, And he says, well, what are we they doing now? And he looks through people and she goes, well, how you seeing him? He's got a people in the wall, and she goes. And then he says and he delivers, and this is going to be my favorite line. I do not have time for any weird jokes.
Speaker 3: That was actually just so funny. That was so funny.
Speaker 1: So she says, get a radio from upstairs, turns in case he won a wan uh, and I'll be there in a minute. And so she and then does she show She does show up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she shows up. But remember he's like, you didn't bring.
Speaker 1: Anything, didn't bring anything? No, I got this, And they're going back and forth. You Laurel I shows up, asked everybody to get in the line, hold hands, and then they go outside.
Speaker 4: And they just snakes the street.
Speaker 3: That must have been so funny to film.
Speaker 1: Yes, is this really wise?
Speaker 5: To serpentine?
Speaker 3: It's so funny and cute. And I like that she doesn't I told you so him?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: She's like, you know what?
Speaker 3: You got it?
Speaker 4: And no questions asked either. Like honestly, if I was Lauraai, I would have been like, no, you said you could do this? Without me. You're doing it without me, and she she just showed up and.
Speaker 3: And she's stoked, like.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was cute that like once they got the store, everything was ready. So she's probably like stopped by it before or like called and yeah, she thought ahead. She was on her feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That Beauty Supply always makes me think of what's her name? Oh, Yane, Shane, Jane and Kirk there sometimes too. Beauty Supply gets a lot of action. Yeah, more than one would think, more than the bookstore, like the local Sephora.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good, good, So really coming through being a hero. Then we're at the hospital again. Rory calls Mitcham Huntsburg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually have.
Speaker 1: The finds out. Logan says, well, yeah, well she's talking to Logan's sister and they're flying in from his Stanbul or someplace. Yeah, yeah, yeah, waiting for a connection. And no, listen, Rory, you know, no, his dad is not going to go see him. He doesn't approve of the Life and Death Brigade. He thought Logan would grow out of it at this point. And no, he's not visiting his son.
Speaker 2: My thing with that is Mitcham was in the Life and Death brigade the whole time he was in college. And she says, and and he still is in college. So that was my flag of like, how would he grow out of it if like he's still in the in the mix of it all? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Right, well, I think Mitcham just.
Speaker 1: Is just because because I think Mitcham didn't have a rich daddy to to step into a role of response because it was the.
Speaker 3: Other No, I thought the Huntsburgers have money also, yeah, a lot. It was her mother had, her father had money too, leanne she was like a cocktail waitress or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then it was that old grandpa at the dinner. That's Mitch. Hunsburger had money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did they have the newspaper empire at that Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they had like hundreds of millions. Yeah, they're like old money. Yeah they got there, they're rich.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I sit corrected.
Speaker 3: I thought we were calling Mitcham. I have that that line ready when we.
Speaker 2: Get to it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, what a great phone call. I mean Rory stepping up and being a hero and saying the words that every parent needs to hear.
Speaker 3: Here's what she says, mitcham Hunsberger. Yes, it's Rory Gilmour. I just thought i'd call and remind you that Logan is lying in a hospital bed with a partially collapse lung and a whole host of other potentially life threatening injuries. And I'm figuring a guy like you, surrounded by nothing but a bunch of terrified sycophants, might not have something, might not have someone in his life with the guts to tell him what an incredibly selfish, narcissistic ass he's being. So I thought I'd jump on in, swallow your pride, getting your car and come down here and see your son.
Speaker 1: Now, nice, beautiful.
Speaker 2: So many times I wanted Rory to stand up to people, and she finally.
Speaker 1: She got even you know, beautiful, beautiful scene. And for all you self obsessed narcissistic's parents out there, let this be a lesson. Okay, now we're back at Luke's and I just wrote down here, Laurel I is just she has a black belt in life. You know, she's really good at life, and she's really good with kids, and she's just a dream who shouted out bad idea hagrid. Oh yeah, they called it referred to luc As Hagrid.
Speaker 2: That was so good.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that until you.
Speaker 1: Just brought it up. What was Luke's idea? Luke had an idea to do something and somebody shouted out bad idea, Hagrid.
Speaker 5: She wait until the next day to open her presence. He thought she was going to open that weird bathroom set, not knowing that Laurrela I had switched out.
Speaker 1: He got heckled by the by the kids. It was really funny. So that's when.
Speaker 4: She was just saying that Anna was saying that they called him Hagrid. Yeah, because he was the least embarrassing parent on the trip.
Speaker 2: Right, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right right right.
Speaker 1: So this is when Laura l I suggests a sleepover and a slumber party, and Luke says, yeah, but Joe have to call your parents and get approval, right, And then he goes behind the counter and he says, everybody line up. This is the We see them all get on their cell phones, stand up and walk in different directions, get on their cell phones to call their parents at the same time. And he's trying to get everybody cueue up behind the diner and he sees that.
Speaker 2: I just love that the sign is still there and the phone's right by the no cell phone sign and turns around and they're all their phones.
Speaker 1: Good good comedy stuff for Luke, I'll tell yeah, form a single file line. And then there's a nice little scene of the girls downstairs having fun and doing Harry Potter Chance or whatever they were doing, and Luke not being able to sleep.
Speaker 2: Light is a feather stiff as a board. Oh yeah, I used to do that all the time. I brought back some memories for sure, yep.
Speaker 1: And I think that was a nice moment.
Speaker 3: And that's a very dad moment. Yeah, the dad's always like trying to sleep during the sleepover.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is there was you know, the thought was, what is my future going to be? Am I going to be with Laurel? I? Is this going to work out? And I miss I miss Laurel I in a sense, you know what I mean. I thought that was a nice little full moment there for him. Anyway. That's what I tried to do with the moment, as I recall, and I don't know if I accomplished it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: All right, We're back at the Dragonfly and Laurel I arrives in the kitchen and hands Suki some Bonnie Bell lip smackers.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Peper was my favorite.
Speaker 4: Anything anything from lip smackers anything m.
Speaker 1: Hm where they have flavors I don't even know what.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And then you would get this pack of like ten and it would all be like different, like sparkly killers, and there's still.
Speaker 5: Like so super sticky.
Speaker 2: It was like really thick, and they for sure just kept your lips chopped.
Speaker 4: But yeah that you smelled good. Yeah, like something, the spray the Doctor Pepper one.
Speaker 3: I sat them in a stalking Christmas stalking this year.
Speaker 2: They still sell them totally. I just related to that scene a lot. To just open the back.
Speaker 4: That's my measuring stick. Nobody take it.
Speaker 1: Oh well you better hope I call on you first, all right. And then now we're back in the diner and Anna storms in. She she really gives it to old Lukie. Oh no, no is this yeah? No, yeah, this is the diner or is.
Speaker 3: This yea upstairs in the apartment She did in the apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So she reads him the riot act man, what'd you guys? I think we all we discussed this. We know how you know, everybody knows how we feel about this. We don't need to, but she really brings the guy.
Speaker 4: Can I read a couple of her lines? Sure? She said you wanted to throw her a party? Luke, you? And then Luke said, I know I did, Anna goes. No, you had your girlfriend throw her a party, A girlfriend I don't even know, a girlfriend I've never met. This is not our agreement.
Speaker 3: Shut up, Anna, How am.
Speaker 4: I supposed to explain this? How am I supposed to explain that to the other girl's parents? How am I supposed to tell them that I left their kids all alone with the woman I've never met, who already know.
Speaker 3: Because they call.
Speaker 5: Well, And she's not saying that any parents have actually complained. She's just like trying to think of something to be mad about. Correct, No parents are going to complain.
Speaker 1: He's not angry about that. She's angry that she's I have.
Speaker 4: To know where she's She's wish always.
Speaker 1: He's angry at throwing sunshine at Luke.
Speaker 3: And then first of all, Anna, oh, I have to know where she is at all times? Okay, did you know when she came to the diner and yanked my hair out exactly? Anna?
Speaker 5: Like rolling around town pulling out men's hair.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a good point, a good he's not like that, he's not snappy back like that.
Speaker 3: He doesn't need to say it. I'm saying it to everybody else. Then she sent her kid on a ten day school trip with a dude she hasn't really talked to in twelve years. Like that wasn't good enough to know about the kid? Like that also seems very.
Speaker 4: Odd to me.
Speaker 5: It's inconsistent, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's the word I've looking for. Inconsistent.
Speaker 1: All right, So now we get to the hospital and lo and behold who shows up at the hospital. Mitchell Mitcham Hansberger. Who is I mean, let's give it to Greg Henry, a master of nonverbal communication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I won't say it, but he really reminds me of somebody who he doesn't remind you all of a former president? For some reason?
Speaker 1: Which president? Who? The one?
Speaker 3: The one we just had before this one? Yeah, for some reason, Greg Henry slash Mitcham is so trumpy to me. I don't know why, just.
Speaker 4: Saying needed a little more hair fluff to consider that.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: And now we are back at Laurla and Luke's house. I guess it's both their houses.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, thank you for bringing this up, Scott. I was glad he told her what happened. I didn't need him to not tell her. So kudos to Luke. II.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they're having Chinese food. He tells her that Anna's pissed and it's a big trust to shoot and I'm just glad.
Speaker 3: Yeah he said sorry. I I liked that she said sorry because she felt bad, but she just was doing the right thing. So I actually that scene I actually liked m I thought they were getting along fine and dealing with challenges.
Speaker 1: Fine, right, Okay, I'm just texting Amy now she'll be relieved me.
Speaker 3: No, no, Amy, Oh good, approves of this scene.
Speaker 1: Hang on, Amy says back, thank god, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Uh, Logan and Rory.
Speaker 3: Real hard to hurt there.
Speaker 1: This was really nice, right, This was like I wrote down, she really loves him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, finally we're threw them up right exactly, which I was ready for.
Speaker 1: Right right. It's kind of perfect timing. And I think a lot of these storylines got tied up and elevated in this episode, which was I think it was so effective yeah, yeah, yeah, And I guess this is where we see everybody's kind of growing up or trying to grow up or or really move beyond where they were and declare and love each other and trust each other. It started getting emotional here for me. And then our final scene, we have a Laurel I and Anna. You know, Laurel I goes to Anna's shop.
Speaker 3: What do you think of her going there?
Speaker 4: I liked I kind of liked it.
Speaker 2: I like that it was a person not a phone call. I actually did like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's a stand up move. I think it's a real stand up move by somebody who wants to take responsibility, wants to meet the person wants to make things right, doesn't want to be a source of friction between Anna, April and Luke.
Speaker 4: And also like, look at me, this is what you're nervous about or what you were afraid of right or whatever. You know, Like it's me. You don't have to worry about me, you know exactly.
Speaker 1: She I think she she did it for all the right reasons. I think I was.
Speaker 2: I do I do wish that Lorala I said before Anna had to prompt your like, hey, I'm a single mom too. I wish that she had said that, like, I'm so sorry. I understand I'm also a single mom, because the only reason why she said it is because Anna's like, well, I'm a single mom, and She's like, well I am, like you know what I mean. I wish she kind of walked and saying like, hey, I understand your frustrations because I also was in the same situation you're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Susanne, you're jumping out of your skin right now.
Speaker 5: No. I was just gonna say I give her props for going and trying to have an adult conversation with Anna about the situation.
Speaker 3: I do wish she hadn't.
Speaker 5: Been so sheepish about it and taking oh, the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing was my fault.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry, because it wasn't her fault.
Speaker 2: Brought her in.
Speaker 5: She saved the day, Like Laura, I was the hero that day, and I don't like that everybody's trying to make her feel bad about it. And I feel the same way about the scene where they're eating the Chinese food and you know Luke she was. She apologized to Luke and she said I'm sorry and he's like, yeah, I'm sorry too. Like there Why is everybody trying to make her feel bad about this? Like none of this was her fault.
Speaker 1: I don't think, and I think I think Laurlai finds herself in the middle of a difficult situation where there's really strong feelings flying around, and she's being the bigger person. She knows that she's not responsible for all of these bad feelings. It's she's just being a good person, doing the right thing in this situation. But she's taken the heat because she's being the bigger person in that situation. She's being the bigger person to Anna, going face to face and being spectacular and great.
Speaker 3: I don't I think she did great with Luke. I think saying sorry is okay because she's saying I'm sorry that happened to you, I'm sorry, this is messy, I'm sorry. Right that part I was fine. I don't think she should have gone to the store. I think it really thought about it, but I think she should have gone.
Speaker 1: To the store. I think it really proves how much she loves Luke by going to that store. I think she should have said things. I think it's a really super advanced adult move.
Speaker 3: It's just a little bit of an overstep. I think she should have said to Luke, why don't we go and try and talk to Anna? Now now that I've met April, you and I are in this together, we're engaged, why don't we go and meet April, I mean, sorry, meet Anna so she can get to know me. To me going on her own, not telling Luke she was going that would be very jarring for me, no matter who I was. If I'm putting myself in anna shoes suddenly, the girlfriends there would just be very jarring.
Speaker 2: I mean, she tell Luke.
Speaker 3: I think we're to assume she didn't tell Luke because I think if she would have said to Luke, he would have said, no, no, no, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a part of Laurel I that was going over there to mark her territory with anything like that's my guy, and here I am and I'm real and I exist. I don't deal with me. Do you think that undercurrent there? No?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I just thought she was going to say like, hey, I'm sorry, this happened, I'm sorry, this got messy. I'm in it. Your kid, kid's great, I'm gonna I want you to meet me. And know that I too have a kid. I'm going to take great care of your kid.
Speaker 1: Have anything to worry about. You'll never have Luke. He's mine. Bye Bye, nice meeting.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying other people might not see that, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I think she was trying to again, like you said, Scott, she loves Luke so much, and she was hoping that if she went and worked things out with Anna, then Anna wouldn't be pissed at Luke anymore, right, and everybody could just be happy. I think that's what she was trying to fix. I didn't think it was like a passive aggressive thing.
Speaker 3: In the real world though, that's not a move I would make.
Speaker 5: Catch. I don't know if this was an error on the writer's part, or if Chryline Fenn didn't said said the line wrong, which I'm sure they would have made her do twenty takes if she said it wrong. But she said she made a comment about how April doesn't meet people that she's dating. And she said she made some comment about when I get married married again.
Speaker 3: I think we're to assume she was married once.
Speaker 4: She said so, basically, until I'm ready to get married again. She doesn't meet any of the men I date.
Speaker 5: Interesting, where's the again coming from? Like, where have we ever heard about Anna being married?
Speaker 1: There's the information we do not have. There's a lot of information we don't know about this. It's not it's not filled in for us.
Speaker 4: It could be a reason.
Speaker 3: Still doesn't there you go nodn't that's fine? Why doesn't want Laura I involved? It's still I still don't have a reason why we're giving this woman so much leeway on the fact that she took the kid away. I'm just saying that's where I'm like.
Speaker 4: Wait, what, but what did she started dating somebody new and she told that new person that I was their kid?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, then she's worse.
Speaker 1: It was general the reason talking about all.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a Pretty in Pink that they watched Pretty in Pink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the Molly Ringwald speech was really funny.
Speaker 5: About Mollie Ringwold because Molly and Lauren were in a show together before Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: And we also got to see like a real quick glimpse of Kirk in that scene when he was setting up the.
Speaker 1: Movie yeah, yeah, he didn't steal the episode, And.
Speaker 3: There's sort of a there's a little uh switched at birth reference to which is kind of funny that later wait there is well it's the show hadn't happened yet, but there's some sort of did they mix up the babies thing? I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Rory said that about she went to the maternity ward in case she wants to pull a prank and switch.
Speaker 2: Switched the babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, who do we think let's do a new segment here, who do we think stole this episode? Whose episode was this? Susanne?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I think this was Luke's episode. I really loved he was just laying down those rules about don't go in the restricted area and you'll burn your face off, and I just I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: That was Who do you think I have to give it to Laura Li for this one? I don't know. I just feel like there was especially that last scene for me with a close second to Rory Danielle Lauraai a.
Speaker 3: Lorli. I mean you know what, look Luke Lorlai, Rory all a tie Zuker, all laid up.
Speaker 1: Do not know?
Speaker 3: I can't stand her. It's a great episode. Made me upset, but it's a late episode.
Speaker 1: Let's rate it, Susanne, what do you give it? What's your measuring stick? Okay, now let's just be clear what Danielle claimed measuring stick? What was that? Again?
Speaker 4: Reminded smackers.
Speaker 1: You can't so Lipsmackers is on the board. This is not an official rule book. You can use lip smackers if you would like to.
Speaker 4: No, don't take no, I am not going to use that one.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give this respect.
Speaker 5: I can't decide. I'm going to give this a seven point. I'm telling you, I want to feel happy when I want. These episodes are not.
Speaker 3: What was your cold bananas? You took my God, you gotta.
Speaker 1: Claim them, and from now on you cannot claim. Yeah, you can't do it. Well, let it slide this time, Tara.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it a nine parachutes that didn't open.
Speaker 1: These are so good.
Speaker 4: Wow, some of my broken ribs.
Speaker 1: You gave up Smackers. But that's kind of like doing a joke, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna go with Cass, but.
Speaker 3: Nine point nine people's in Luke's weird bathroom storage closet thing. Excuse me, your storage closet.
Speaker 1: People nine point nine, nine point nine or.
Speaker 3: Pretty in Pink's whatever you oh nine point nine. Yeah. I loved the episode. I'm very upset about it, but doesn't mean I didn't love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm going to give it ten point zero. Rory furrowed browse. Oh wow, oh yeah, did sorry?
Speaker 5: Can I throw one more thing in? Did you guys notice when uh, in the interval between when Finn and Colin went to get some of Logan's stuff, they brought back like everything from his apartment, like the suit of armor was in there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I did not notice that that big poster thing.
Speaker 5: On the wall.
Speaker 1: It was pretty funny. Favorite line.
Speaker 5: A favorite line is when Kirk said something about I'm very susceptible to signage.
Speaker 1: But Luke had a better line. He said, I'm very susceptible to people that order things that are on the menu. So Tara, so we'll just correct that in the final version, Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: It was more. It was more of the scene where it's Luke saying like all right, like we're gonna get a single file line and then like he just turns around. It was more of that scene for me when he just turns around sees everyone on their phone and no one's paying attention to him.
Speaker 4: Danielle Mine is when Sukie and Lola were in the beauty shop and Sukie says, I feel like I'm fifteen again. Jackson's so getting under my bra tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I forgotten to have a favorite line. I think I got so upset that I literally don't have one. So I'll just give a Ray's speech to Mitcham. I literally did not take one note during this episode when I was watching it. I just watched it and was just like, I'm getting more and more upset. I feel better after this.
Speaker 2: How many more do we have in the season?
Speaker 1: I still have to get my line? Hang on? Sorry, my favorite line? Sorry, I gotta go with Luke about the peopole line. I do not have time for your weird jokes. That was great. I do not have time for your weird jokes right now. All right, that's going to wrap it up for us. Thanks kids, Thanks for downloading. Best Fans on the Planet. Next episode twenty one, season six, driving Miss Gil.
Speaker 3: How many more are there in season six?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Total?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 3: More?
Speaker 1: Wow? And then We're done. Boy, it's getting.
Speaker 2: Flew through this season.
Speaker 1: It doesn't suck, it doesn't strong. It really is strong. Yeah, anyway, that's going to do it. Remember go to the Warner Brothers Studio store in Burbank, California, the Warner Brothers Studios to get your Lukes a Diner, Blend your Stars Hollow Signature, Blend End your Dragonfly in talk Fast Blend exclusively sold at the Warner Brothers Studio Store. If you want Scotty Pea's Big Mug Coffee on a wholesale basis, you can email support at scottip dot com. Stay safe everyone, Hey everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com