Speaker 1: You are listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair in.
Speaker 2: The last few days, telling friends my next podcast guest was going to be Anthony Scaramucci. Everybody had a reaction, a big one. How amazing, Ruthie, How did that happen? Ruthie? Lucky you, lucky us to listen to the two of you. When will it come out? In my career, I've been a chef and an author and now a podcaster. In his career, Antony has been a President's communication director in the White House, a financial genius founding Sky Capital, and the host of the Rest Is Politics US podcast. We both had our ups and downs. His may have been higher ups and maybe downer downs. But we're not here to compete. We're here to talk about food, party politics, food and party parties, food and family, food and memories. Up to date, spent about ten minutes with Antony, but it doesn't feel that way for me. The night we met in the River Cafe was an immediate connection. I agree with my friends. How lucky am I to have him here today? How lucky am I to share stories? How lucky am I to kind of feel he's my friend?
Speaker 3: Well? I mean, the feeling is it's very very sweet introduction. I didn't prepare an introduction, but I just want you to know that I'm a super fan of yours. And the night that I had here was very memorable one for me because I came with Jason Fox, who's a legend here for the SAS show. I did the American version called Special Forces, and so he dunked me in a car and he trapped me in the car and pushed me out of a helicopter, set me on fire. I mean, I don't know what the hell I was doing in that show.
Speaker 2: But he took you to the River caf That part of the risk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, The River Cave was the dessert after brutalizing me in the desert. We were out on the Wadi Rum desert. The show's ten days at age fifty eight, I made it through six of them, so I was proud of myself. But it was hard.
Speaker 2: What did you eat? Do you remember?
Speaker 3: Oh? Terribly terribly.
Speaker 2: I lost.
Speaker 3: I lost probably we'll go by killer. I lost ten pounds. I don't know, ye, yeah, I bought probably six kilos. I mean it was a shit on a shingle corned beef and on toast boiled eggs. It was terrible of franks and beans. They were giving you sort of sas food rations for the day, unlimited amount of water, but the food was terrible.
Speaker 2: What do you think you took away with you?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a great question. I think when you go through something like that and it's a minor thing, you get a lot more empathy for people that are actually out in that desert for eighteen months, or they're out there serving the country, whether it's the UK or the US, and they're making a sacrifice to keep people safe. I mean, you get a lot more empathy. The other thing is, I think your life's happiness comes from your expectation management.
Speaker 2: And tell me about expectation managed.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're sleeping on a cot in one hundred and five degree weather in a canvas tent, and you've got a little pillow this big and a little tiny uh, and you're freezing at night because the temperature goes to one oh five to forty eight. These are Fahrenheys, of course, and you start freezing. You're like, you know, you learn to appreciate what you have. You learn to appreciate the comforts that you have. I do you know, I'm a big believer that life is about expectations. Lower expectations, higher positivity, higher outcomes.
Speaker 2: I think it's also interesting me, but you brought up was about empathy, because there's all thinking about empathy so much right now, especially since someone whose name I don't actually like to mention on the podcast, which is Elon Musk, said that liberals had too much empathy. I saw someone wrote something in response to that and said, you know, empathy is he said, he wrote, I used to try and think what was evil? How do you define evil? And then he said, thinking about it, I think evil is when you have no empathy. And it turned out that it was signed by someone who was it Nuremberg, you know, judge at Neuremberg. And it made me think about how empathy. If we don't have empathy, what do we have. I think it's so well, crucially.
Speaker 3: I think that's it, you know, I mean, ultimately the again, I guess I'm sharing a lot of my personal follows. I'll share it with you. I get the most joy out of helping other people. I think that's an axiom for most people. I tell people, you know, I have an older brother that has an experienced drug addiction in his life. He's going in and out of rehab. He is figured out a way to stay sober by helping other people. He's a sponsor. He's a phone call away from someone that's depressed or in need of something, or trying to help somebody stay off of whatever the drug is that they're addicted to. And I think when you're helping people, you're at your best. And if you're helping people, your empathetic tours whatever their struggle is, you know. And so to me, I think empathy is the whole thing empathy is. But a lot of these norses is frankly, they don't have a lot of empathy. There are people political leaders and whatnot that they objectify people and they're just in their field of vision. Do either do a transaction that's favorable or unfavorable, and then they're immediately discarded like it's it's almost like a video game for a lot of these people, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: And the other one that you talk about is resilience. So we have empathy, but we also have resilience. And I've been through quite a lot in the last ten years as all as of Heath, and I thought, actually, if you can teach your children resilience, I think that's a great gift to have in life. That you you have to be able to cave in as well, you have.
Speaker 3: To be able to Is it teachable?
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: With my children. My observation, I guess, is that they're observing you. I can say things to them, but it's not going to really matter. It's your actions that are going to be things that happened. So when I got fired from the White House, which was a brutal time for me, Ruthie, if you're ever having a bad day and you're listening to this podcast, I want you to imagine my day on the thirty first of July twenty seventeen. I got I asked fire from the White House, blown into Pennsylvania Avenue, skinned alive by the media, rolled in margarite, assault, and I was on the Santa Monica promenade. Don't know if you've ever been out there at that open door promenade on third and fourth Street. And my son at that time, he's thirty three now, but he was twenty five. Then he put his arm around me and he said, Dad, are you going to be okay. It was the first time in my life where my son was parenting me as opposed to be parenting him, and I didn't really remember the feeling if I was going to be okay or not, but I remember what I said to him. I said, yeah, going to be okay. Watch what I do with this. And I think it's very important for kids to see their parents get through things, whatever they may be, because then in their mind they have space for their own failures. They have space for whatever they come up short on in their lives where they can say, Okay, well that's happened to my mom or happen to my dad, and they were able to get through it. I can do. I find a lot of my very wealthy friends. They sanitize their life, Ruthie. They have a life that goes up into the right. It's a perfect story. They made no bad decisions. I can't tell you the number of billionaire memoirs that I've read where I'm a gas that the perfection of all their choices, and then you look at their kids, and their kids are always eclipsed by all that, and it creates great insecurity. I just think it's super important for your children to see your fallibility, your mistakes, but also your grind, your ability to get up and get going after your.
Speaker 2: Mistakes, the resilience that you have now. I bet your son said to you, how are you going to cope what you described as one of the worst imaginable situations of being fired? What was that? Tell me what that was like?
Speaker 3: First of all. First of all, I deserve to be fired. We can talk about that too. Is you have to be accountable. I should have never taken that job. I mean, this is a joke inside the family. I mean, my wife hates trust.
Speaker 2: That's what the job was.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was the White House communications director for eleven days. My I mean, my wife hates Donald Trump, like almost as much as Milania hates him. So I mean, that's like way up here. And so I mean, and she told me not to do it. And this is a real cautionary tale. I did it for ego related reasons. I had grown up in a blue collar family. I went to Tufton Harvard Law School. I had started to successful businesses, sold one in my late thirties, and so I had some financial independence. And now I had a chance to work for the American President. And the funny thing about this is just a side of my bad judgment or my immaturity. My mentor, who I totally respect, was about ten years older than me, was given a big job in the administration, and in December he called me to say he wasn't taking it, and I said what, And he said, no, I'm not going to take it. I spent enough time with Trump to know that we're like oil and water and it's going to end badly for me if I take the job. And my ego's in the right place and I'm not going to take the job. But that wasn't me, Ruthie. I took the job because my ego and my pride were driving me to the notion that I was going to work in the White House and help solve some problems and work on policy and help people. I mean, it was a little bit of idealism in there, but what there really was was a lot of ego centers. It was filling the self narrative of me, and it was quite detrimental. I mean, Deirdre and I almost got divorced. I missed the birth of my fifth child I was in It still pains me to talk about it, but I'll share it here. James was born on July twenty fourth, twenty seventeen. It was a Monday. I was with President Trump at the Boy Scouts event in West Virginia. Deersa and I were fighting. She was due on August eighth or ninth, and she was delivering prematurely, a couple of weeks early. And there's a sixty mile no fly zone around Air Force One. So an Air Force One comes into an area, they have fighter planes, but they also have you know, you can't go over Air Force One. You can't fly over that airspace. And so it was an impossibility to get back to New York. So I missed the birth of my son. So you have to imagine this week. I'm working for President Trump. It is not going well because there's a lot of internescent fighting in the White House. Trump is doing things that a lot of us are looking at same ways. I don't want to be involved with that. Fighting with him, and I get fired, almost divorced. Missed the birth of my son. So again, if you're having a bad weekend, he was having a bad week, give me a call. I can tell you about a really bad week. But we should take it back to food. But I'm just saying, do.
Speaker 2: You know I agree? I know? Okay, tell me who eats better the Democrats for the Republicans.
Speaker 3: I had one meal with Trump in the White House, in the Blue Room. It was on a Wednesday. And you know how I know it was a Wednesday. Was only there for one Wednesday, we kid, so I know it was a Wednesday. So I had beef Wellington. The son of a bitch is going to lift the five hundred years old He eats well done meat with ketchup. Okay, but the chef in the White House was making a beef Wellington and he loved it. I think he had it. You know, I had like two out of five weekday nights, and so I had beef Wellington with him in a salad.
Speaker 2: What else did you mean with him?
Speaker 3: You know he likes hav Me had Hamburger's on the campaign. Remember I did nine months of campaigning with Trump, so it was a tremendous amount of fast food. Did you ever hear Jimmy Johns the fast food place? So Jimmy Johns is like a Midwestern sandwich shop. It's like all cold cuts. I mean, it's unbelievable that his orderies are still flowing. I mean, this guy eats McDonald's french fries, quarter pounders with cheese, Jimmy John's cold cuts.
Speaker 2: Do they seem to enjoy it? Does he say they're savoring it? Or is it just getting the food down?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, he is a fast food maniac. By the way, I mean, he'll come off. He would come off the plane where a campaign, he'd be like asking the cops where the burger king was and he'd like, what do you want from burgering? I'm like, I don't want anything.
Speaker 2: Was campaigning with the Democrats.
Speaker 3: Like, well, here's the problem with the Democrats.
Speaker 2: He's a good cook.
Speaker 3: By the way, she's she's she's a great cook. She's an incredibly nice person. She's a very smart person. But they did her a disservice because you can't you have whatever you think of Trump. At the time that she was running against him, he was arguably the most famous person in the world, or one of the most famous people in the world, and she had one hundred and seven days to get to know the Americans and the Americans to get to know her. But also she was working with Joe Biden's team. She's not her own team. It wasn't like her office is based in Delaware, it wasn't based in northern California. So this was a tremendous disadvantage.
Speaker 2: Did you travel with her?
Speaker 3: So I went to I went to Philadelphia with her for the debate. The first of all, let me let everybody on at Thirty of Them series, I'm a lifelong Republican. The Republicans have so much envy for the Democrats. Gonna tell you why. Okay, people are gonna hate me for this, but they that Democrats have the celebrities that Democrats have, the artists, the Democrats have the cool people in the culture. Okay, the Democrats have more fun. Their parties are better, the entertainment is better, the food is better. The Democrats have the culture, which is why Trump is pissed off of them all to which is why he you know, decapitated the Kennedy Center, right because you know, the Democrats look at him, or the artists look at him like a knuckle dragging ogre, and so you know he's gonna, I guess, bruise them by taking over the Kennedy Center. And like you know, he knocked out board members of the Kennedy Center were giving tens of millions of dollars of donations to the arts and to the performing arts in the country. And so he's not going to replace that money. He's not going to give anybody his money. That's not how he operates. So and by the way, you know, we're in the United Kingdom. You're not allowed to compare Trump to these fascists. So I'll try not to do that. But Mussolini did dead took over the arts. What happened to Mussolini in the end? People turned on him, right, So I mean, you do enough crazy stuff over time that people will turn on you and.
Speaker 2: The message you're giving us all because.
Speaker 3: I think it's you. I mean you're doing people are doing very crazy things in the United States right now. Listen to the Boss, Listen to Bruce Springsteen. They'll tell you what I.
Speaker 2: Was really proud of him, because I think there's a lot of thought going on, is how do we oppose what is the opposition right now? You know, how do we express our frustration or disdain or anger for what our country is representing?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: So how would you let me? So let me say something I think it's important. This is original programming for me because I haven't really shared this with anybody. Think about my life experience. I was with Trump, and I was with Trump seeing something, and then it was manifesting and overlaying what I saw on President Trump. And so what did I see? I saw a group of people in our country, the United States, who were feeling economically left out this twenty sixteen. In my neighborhood, I would describe the neighbor I grew up in as economically asper. My father didn't make a lot of money, but he certainly thought its kids would go on to make some money and live the American dream. It was upward mobility, I would say. When I was campaigning with President Trump and I was by accident with him because I was with Jeff Bush Jet Bush lost, he asked me to go work for him, and so I accepted. I mean, I made a lot of mistakes, but perhaps that was the first one. But what I saw is very relevant for twenty twenty five because I'm sure it's happening here in the United Kingdom. There is a feeling of lower and middle income people that they're not getting ahead for their children. Forget about themselves for a minute, my dad economically aspirational. Today, same person, they're feeling economically desperational. They don't have the same living standards that they once had in blue collar America. And by the way, when I was with the president President Trump in twenty sixteen, I priced my dad's wages and I told him that those ways are now down twenty six and a half percent in real terms, that would put my family not in a small house, but renting somewhere, possibly on an EBT or governmental assistance card. And so there's a real dilemma going on in the country now. He unfortunately has taken advantage of it for his own personal purposes, and those people are galvanized to him because they don't feel there are other alternatives. There haven't heard anything from the establishment politicians in thirty years. You know, those people's grandparents voted for Linda Johnson, they voted for Jack Kennedy. Maybe the great grandparents voted for FDR, but the Democrats left them. The Republicans were never with them. And so Trump's populous message has galvanized a lot of people. And of course you've had the Democrats make a lot of missteps in terms of the way they handle the last election. But there's it would be remiss of me not to bring up the dilemma, why are fifty percent of the United States voting with him? There were forty of us that worked for him, that begged people not to vote for him.
Speaker 2: I would say the disaffection and the you know, the separation, the feeling of being abandoned for the class of America who felt that the society they were promised, the expectations they thought they would have, were played to by a populist who did it through racism, through status division, through divisions. So if they wanted that ianization, would they go for Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton? That said, I understand what you're talking about, but we'll do it through what you said, through empathy. We'll care about the people who don't have health care, or care about the people who are waiting at the border to have a new life. Instead of saying these people do not deserve this, we were angry at these people. And that's what that's what's what I think was manipulated by is that. It's a long conversation, but I think there were two ways to go. There's the and you worked for com you worked for the Democrats, and I know there's so many problems, but I work.
Speaker 3: I worked for her. I helped her on the debate prep. I spent hours with her team uh in her debate preparator. Iways just say this, Bernie was too far to the left for the US left. The country is a primarily centrist country in some ways center right. Hillary Clinton would have been a very good president, but she unfortunately doesn't have the personality for our time. You know, maybe she could have if she campaigned in a different era. This is a hiring decision that's based on popularity. Now, you know it's not a hiring decision that's based on qualifications. Having a popularity contest versus sitting around in a boardroom trying to make a decision.
Speaker 2: Did you think she would win?
Speaker 3: I got that wrong. I thought she was gonna win. Alistair Campbell and I Rory Stewart actually bet money on it. I traveled in enough areas of the Swings days to see her momentum and her rallies were building, and I thought she was gonna win. I was very surprised by the results. But remember he won by like one and a half points. He only won by three hundred thousand votes. You know, but the Democrats did something, and if Democrats are listening, it'd be really mad at me. But I did Gavin Newsom's podcast that I told him this, how do you let Elon Musk and Bobby Kennedy out of your party? As an example, Lennon Johnson would have never done that. Okay, Joe Biden And it turns out it was probably Joe Biden's staff, now that we're learning about Joe Biden. But he gets disinvited from the Electric Vehicle summit. What are you guys doing? Lindon Johnson had one of the best lines ever. Let's get all the elephants into tent this way. If they have to take a piss, they piss out of the tent. Don't let an elephant outside of the tent that could potentially piss into the tent. Elon and Bobby Kennedy really helped Donald Trump more than people realize.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Imagine a state bottled olive oil chosen and bottled for the River Cafe, arriving at your door every month. Our subscription is available for six or twelve months, with each oil chosen personally by our head chefs and varying with each delivery. It's a perfect way to bring some River Cafe flavor into your home or to show someone you really care for them with the gift. Visit our website shop the Rivercafe dot co dot uk to place your order now.
Speaker 3: So I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood. My mother ever went to college. So I grew up in Port Washington, which is on Long Island. Some very wealthy areas there, but like in places like Greenwich or Port Washington, Great Neck, there are also blue collar areas. I mean there's places where you got to put the landscapers and the sheet rock people and the plumbers. And so my dad was a union guy. He was a crane operator in the town. So he's spent forty one years as a construction worker. Smoker, drinker, super hard guy, not gonna bes anybody. So he was very tough on us as kids. Three. I have an older brother and a younger sister. My mother was a cosmetologist. Okay, so when I go on TV I have my makeup, she will call me and tell me I've got the wrong color. Your Mac number five is my you know, cosmetology like cosmetics, and so we rarely saw her on Saturdays because she was with bridal parties on Saturdays making them up. And she worked at a local nail salon and sold cosmetics and did makeup artists basically. But those are my parents' jobs, super hard working, very tight, lots of tight financial situation, a lot of middle class upbringing. I would never dishonor my parents by telling you I grew up poor. I did not grow poor. We had a great middle class upbringing, but a small house, you know, and we had you know, I mean had a little hallway kitchen with a sixpansive beautiful kitchen here we had my mother had this little hallway kitchen, and then off the kitchen there was a little vestibule that had a round table that really could fit six, but we always had eight to ten people shoved into.
Speaker 2: The table, friends and family.
Speaker 3: Family, and I have a big the neighbor I grew up in. I have about twelve cousins that grew up alongside of my brother and sister. So so my grandmother was alive. She was a huge cook, took everything.
Speaker 2: She the first generation to come from its.
Speaker 3: First generation got to the US in nineteen twenty three. My other grandparents got to the US a little earlier than that, but she was eighteen and nineteen twenty three she married my grandfather. Obviously he was from the same town as her. It was an arranged marriage, and so he went to Italy, back to the town he was from, and him and his mom and dad selected my grandmother and they did some kind of agreement, and believe it or not, there was a dowry and all kinds of stuff, and she moved to New York had three children.
Speaker 2: Her coming from a town in Italy into a country you didn't know what the.
Speaker 3: Man you didn't couldn't couldn't, couldn't speak the English, read ill progress. So you grew up in upstate New York. You remember, do you remember what town in the Gascock?
Speaker 2: And before that, I was from Monticello. I was born in Monticello.
Speaker 3: Probably know those towns well because I have a house in Green County, a house by window Mountain. But anyway, you know, she comes. She's ten years younger than my grandfather. They have three kids. My two uncles go to the Second World War. My uncle Anthony, who I'm named after, was a Normandy beach survived. It was wounded in a town in France on the way to Paris. Was in an army hospital for about two months. I rejected the opportunity to get disc George and he fought in the Battle of the Bulge and then he went on to Potsdam and so he had an incredible story in the war. My other uncle got to the war for the Battle of the Bulge as well. But I'm from a family of Italian immigrants. On both sides. It was old school stuff, Ruthie. We're talking about stepping on grapes at about we're talking about in a bathtub. I can remember my uncles and grandfather wash your feet and you get up on the grapes, you step, crush him down. They scoop all that up, put it in a press. I mean this wine we were see you and I are old enough to remember the tropicana class charge. You remember, Okay, so my grandfather was probably forty proof red wine. Okay, we're talking about like grape spike, grape juice, and I can remember, but I just remember I remember getting drunk on it at age eight or nine. I mean he would he would put it in a glass tropic cana I just thought it was grape juice. I was drinking it was getting drunk off the sub. But but we had we had pigs. Slaughter the pig.
Speaker 2: You'd make in your garden.
Speaker 3: No, he would, No, he would in Port Washington. He would go buy the pig from one of the farms. He would cook it or cure it, or you know, take the legs off and make pursude. He'd wrap it. You'd have a little area of the you have a little section of the grandfather, my grandfather.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 3: And so I mean we this was made made projutto homemade naughkey. Uh, I can still And when I go to Rios, and I know you're familiar with rails. When I go to Raos, I tell those guys up there to taste like my nana's meatballs from the nineteen seventies. Is that same way that they processed the meat. They fry it a little bit, they poach it a little bit, they put it in the sauce.
Speaker 2: And so this is your grandmother who came from the small town, came to America. A man who made prescuto, carried on this Italian culture putting bacci.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my uncles played the accordion. Remember this is some old school stuff. I mean, so I a song el progress. So you know, this is the other thing about growing up like that. No Italian spoken by any of our cousinme because my grandmother was strict about it. The you know, the Italians, as you know, were discriminated against when they came in. There were signs in this no Nina, no Italians need apply. So we you know, my grandmother was very strict about us speaking Italian. My parents speak Italian. My uncles, of course spoke Italian, they're not a deceased, but none of us spoke Italian. But they were old school people. I mean, you know, when I'm sixty one now, when I think about that time in my life. Even though my father was rough on us and he was a hard blue collar guy, not educated, there was a family atmosphere that was very solidifying. I think you learn from your family what they care about. And my grandmother had one of the best lines ever, which I always say to my kids, what other people think of you as none of your business. And it's very important to tell kids, especially in the age of social media, because they can get on the social media and it can give them a distortion of what's going on in the world. They can feel insecure or left out or have fomo. And the message from the nineteen twenties and thirties is an immigrant Italian relax. You know what I mean? You know, don't care. Mel Brooks has a great line which I always tell the kids, You'll relax. None of us are getting out of your life. You relax, you're fire from a job, who cares, have a step back in your business. Relax.
Speaker 2: An open kitchen in the River Cafe means we as chefs are able to talk to our guests dining in the restaurant. And now we're bringing that same ethos to our podcast, a Question an Answer episode with me and our two executive chefs. Send a voice note with your question to Questions at Rivercafe dot co dot org. Okay, and you might just be our next great guest. On Ruthie's Table four, it's interesting about food and food and memories. And you talk about you know your grandmother in a way that there are probably many many ways to describe your grandmother who did but you also your memories are of the food you had. I can picture your mother's kitchen. I was wondering if you might tell me about how food is in your house right now.
Speaker 3: Listen. I mean food is the center of everything in the family like ours. I mean, my wife is also Italian mother, and my wife is actually has Norwegian and German in her genealogy, but her grandmother was Italian and her mother was raised in an Italian culture. So our house is also as that Italian thing where everything is sort of centered around food. But I will say this to you, that something that I miss that we really try to get back to, which is really hard in our current culture, which is what we're doing right now. We're at the table, we have no phones, we're eating, we're talking to each other, We're locked in, and I really benefit from that as a kid, you know, with my grandparents in the room where my you know, my grandmother had some of the best lines. I always tell people my grandmother used to say to us that the best among us, and she said it in Italian. I wouldn't even know how to say it in Italian, but it translates like this, the best among us choose not to judge human frailty so harshly. It's not a beautiful way to think about people. And then you know the other thing that she always said to us, which I try to take with me. She's very religious. She was very Roman Catholic. She went to church, confession, communion, the whole thing. But she really believed in karma. She was like, if you do, you know, be the first one to give, you know, don't you know. And I'm bastardizing it now, I'm making it more modern. But it was like, a don't be transactional, be nonlinear in life, you know what I mean, do a favor for somebody without them asking, or you know, hand the extra dollar to somebody that may need it. There was a generosity about her that I tried to take with me. She was also a maid, so I always say this to my kids. You know, when I'm in a hotel, I'm always leaving money in the room because it could be somebody's grandmother. You know. I think about my grandmother, what she had to do, the wrisk she had to take to come to the United States, marrying somebody she really didn't know, building a family, but also had to work. It was a dual income family to survive. But she couldn't get a job and she didn't speak English, so she was turning beds, you know. And so I think about that all time, and I think people have to put in perspective their lives and treat the other people around them with some level of kindness. And that's something you're great at, which is why your restaurant is learning. The food is great, but you're great at that. But when I think about food, that is part of that giving thing, you know, like I'm always I mean, if you come to my house, you're gonna eat to the point of explosion, right, because.
Speaker 2: We have to make sure it's about sharing. It's also about comfort, isn't it. So you know, if we think that food alleviates hunger or it makes us feel connected to people we might not know, taste this. Try this. One of the nice things I love is being at the past and seeing people eating with their children often or with each other, sharing food, tasting each other's food, responding to it. It's also it is comfort.
Speaker 3: And so you know, for my grandmother to come to your restaurant, it would be the luxury of luxuries, right because she cooked it. She cooked it from scratch, then she cleaned up, you know, and so if she came here and she didn't have to cook it, and she didn't have to clean up. It was a great experience. I got to tell this story before we leave because it's about American Italian American patriarchy. So my old boss, who's a great guy, I was on the Golden Sack sales desk. He was a Jewish guy from San Francisco. He's like, mooch, your grandmother and your mother they cook. I said, yeah, they cook. He says, all right, you do Sunday you do Sunday meals? I said, yeah, we do Sunday meals one o'clock on a Sunday after church. All right, I want to impose my fiance on your mother. I got to come out and have an old school Italian home cooked meal. You're welcome anytime. And so he came up to the little house with the litanoleum, you know Carol Brady from the Brady Bunch called, wanted the paneling back. I mean, that's the house I grew up in. And we were at that little table verse six where we had eight people there or ten, and my mother cooked up a storm. My sister was there helping her. And when the meal was over, my sister and mother got up and they started cleaning. Okay, did I get up and start cleaning? I did not, And his fiance got up and started cleaning, and Gary looked over me says, you're not going to get up and helped them clean, and I looked at them. I said, no. That never dawned on me. Okay, it was so patrioical. Okay that literally didn't get it, didn't get up. And so we're now fast forward to where we are today. Right. I always try to remind people we've come a long way from that experience, but some of us grow up like that, So go a little easy on us. So we're doing the best weekend. I mean, I'm I'm all about the equality, I'm all about the whole thing. But in a traditional family, that's how it went down, and there was no there was even a discussion about it. But I was twenty seven or twenty eight years old when it dawned me, Wait, you're doing You need me to watch that vision having made ruthy, I've changed diapers.
Speaker 2: I watched, But you haven't read your recipe yet. We like to tell people how to make, how to do a recipe, and you can change it you can read it any way you want.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I'm I mean, this is linguini with fresh and dried oregano. But there's also some amazing red Datorini tomatoes in this. So it's two handfuls of fresh oregano finally chopped, twenty five grams of dried oregano on the branch and the leaves are crumbled. And then these Daturini tomatoes. There's twelve red Daturini tomatoes. They are quartered and seeded, but they're not cooked yet, and that's one of the more brilliant things about this dish. There are twelve yellow Dati tomatoes. They're quartered and seeded. And then there's one hundred milli liters of extra version olive oil. And then this is the kicker, which makes the thing taste amazing. It's one tablespoon of red wine vinegar, which you can taste it in the sauce. It is absolutely delicious. Two hundred and fifty grams of linguini. Of course, we're going to cook Dad al Dante, and here's what we do. You take the red wine vinegar. This lists of recipe. It's important that you serve this on hot plates, but you mix the fresh and dried oregano together, combined the tomatoes with extra version olive oil, the red wine vinegar, and sea salt and black pepper. So he mixed all of that up. Then you set that aside to marinate. If I set that right, marinate, cook the linguini and a generous amount of boiling salted water. Then drain and return to the pan. Toss with the oregano mixture and the marinated tomatoes until very hot. Then, sirve, But I noticed something that your chef did which I thought was awesome. He took some of the water which was loaded with salt and some of the starch from the pasta, and he poured that into the saute, which gave it a little bit of a thickening quality, and added a little dash of salt. So I thought that was majestic. So this is linguini with fresh and dried oregano. And I don't know how did I do? Did I say that? All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So well, and I'm ready to eat. The guy did another another portion of that, so my head can explode from the shirt that I'm wearing. Yeah, so amazing.
Speaker 2: My last question to you, because I was starting to talk about what food means to us, and it means memories of your family. It means sharing with your children, teaching them values and feeling empathy, resilience. It can all be your grandmother's kitchen. What if you needed to have comfort food, you told me you love peanut butter and jelly, which is fine. One of my guests, Austin Butler, when he was I asked him his comfort food. He remembered eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with his mother before she died, and that was something he meant to him. But I think we do go to food for comfort. You've had the need of comfort, you have had need for comfort in your life.
Speaker 3: Were huge awesome Butler fans. By the way, my son has a close relationship with him, and I mean door that guy. But here's what I would say to you for me and food, and I think you'll get this because you ethereally have this. When I think of food, I do think of my grandparents, and I do think of the preparation, but I also think of the simplicity. And I think it's very very important for people, whatever they're doing in their life, whatever they're aspiring to, some things are going to go well. Other things are not going to go well. But food for me is that anchor. It reminds me of what is important. And I'm going to send you I did this thing for Vox Media and they said, okay, so what did you do after you got fired?
Speaker 2: What I do?
Speaker 3: I flew to Italy? Why do I fly to Italy? Because the Italians know they're going to die, they already had their empire. They're going to serve me a slice of pizza. I'm gonna eat some pasta and have a glass of red wine. Who gives a shit about getting fired?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And the point I'm making is that food for me in my life has been like the anchor to the simplicity, the anchor to that low expectation that man, can I just have this meal? And I want to tell you this story and I hope it makes the podcast. A deceased friend who is a Holocaust survivor, and I was a young man and I was working at Goldman Sachs at the time, and he was a Holocaust child refugee. He met his wife in the refugee camp in Europe before they were sent to the United States into a foster situation. He ended up marrying her, and he had the indelible ink on his forearm. And he was the nicest, loveliest person, literally you could imagine. And I used to go to dinner with him at a local Italian restaurant and I'm going to show you something with my hand, and for the people are listening to audio, I'll explain what I'm doing. When the plate got served, Ruthie, he would look over at me, wash my hand. He would go like this. He would go like this, and this sweeping of his hand, looking at the abundance on the plate. He was sending a message to me. He was like Anthony. I was in a refugeek. I was in a concentration camp as a young kid, got rickets. They didn't feed me. Now I'm in the United States. He had this beautiful wicker furniture company that he built, and he was a multi millionaire many times over. And every time the plate landed in front of him, Ruthie, he took his hand and he sweeped it over the plate, like acknowledging the miracle of the abundance and the simplicity of that meal. We need to think about that in our lives, you know, we have to. When the plate hits and we're able to eat it and we're nourished by this beautiful earth that we're living on. Think of that man who started his life, the early part of his life in a concentration camp, and how grateful he was for that meal.
Speaker 2: Gratitude. I'm a gratitude. I feel gratitude to you for coming.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, and though it's great to be here, thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair