Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: How you doing I'm great?
Speaker 4: How are you great?
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I'd love to hear this Tony the Tiger energy from me.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to surf off of your high because you didn't ask what I'm also doing. Well, I've got another question for you. Do you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 4: I do know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Prove it.
Speaker 4: Tacos ridiculously good? You know I love talking.
Speaker 2: You eat them almost any day you could.
Speaker 4: I would. I would eat them every day if I could. And Taco Bell not so bad, not terrible. I can get a Taco Bell if need be.
Speaker 5: Seven ingredients mixed up in all different ways exactly.
Speaker 4: You just you go to the drive through. You're like, I want to spend seven dollars, mess me up, and then they'll just give you whatever combination. They have this thing, the LOCOS program.
Speaker 2: Locos Locos, I'll call.
Speaker 4: It crazy, yeah, and it stands for loss or Celebration Outcome Support And it's the first noble emotional support taco program, which I get with as well. It has to do with World Cup. Yeah, so that you have to put the app on your phone. I don't have that.
Speaker 2: The Taco Bell app.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a Taco Bell app and you can choose either celebration mode if your team won, or support mode if you're sad because they didn't do right. And so the first time you do this, you get a free taco with any purchase, and you know, then there's all this junk on the app. It runs through July thirteenth, all right, so the end. So you donaded the app though, no, but you know so, I guess they don't want the finals involved in this, Like that's just too.
Speaker 2: Much yet right now.
Speaker 4: In the US, like if you don't have the app, though, you could have gone to LA or New York. They had scream booths so you could yell into the void after a loss. I know they have some similar kind of stuff in UK. Camden, London they had handing out just free tacos because they're like, you guys need the emotional support just for me you anyway. They also Australia, Canada, Brazil, Spain. I love that they're like, let's go to Brazil.
Speaker 5: And I have to say, I did not know that Taco Bell was in Brazil, nor did I know that it was in the UK.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently, and.
Speaker 2: It's called Taco Bell in both places.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although it's called Taco Bell in the UK.
Speaker 2: They like it, and you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I feel like I've seen one there, but I don't. I didn't really pay attention.
Speaker 2: To any joints looking for Nando's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or greg Is the Baker.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In the Scotland, Yeah, I know. Someone I knew when I lived in Glasgow loved Burger King. Really there was a Burger King across from this pub that we went to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know that there's the Burger Ha McDonald's like the big ones. It's no Taco Bell that made it over.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Apparently we're everywhere.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if there's an Arby's.
Speaker 4: Oh god, you know, I've never had Arby's igrets.
Speaker 5: I told you I grew up vegetarian, so that to me was like way past the bridge, too far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly exactly. But you know what, maybe here's what I always say now, It's just it's not for me.
Speaker 2: I know, you do say.
Speaker 4: There are people congratulations, God bless, but I just kind of want to get behind the idea of an emotional support taco because sometimes that's what you need.
Speaker 2: I get it, you know, I feel you. Well, that is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It is ridiculous. I'll certify that one. So while we're at it, Yeah, I've got one for you.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 5: I saw a mention of this story and let me just say, this one had me at hello, Oh yeah. All I had to read was three words Croydon aerodrome heist. Oh I like that, and I was like, oh, please be murder free, Please be murder free. And I know you know that struggle you finally looks like a great story.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: I start reading up on it and you're like, oh, this one gets bloody damn. I know, I hate that, Elizabeth. I have good news. We got ourselves a ridiculous crime.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 5: This is Ridiculous Crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, hes and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Yeah, Elizabeth, this one has so many things. It has all of the things the things we love. It has cameos from real life gangsters from the show Peaky Blinders. It has grizzled London taxi drivers, has British aviation history. It has gold bull yon and a busybody landlady. It's a classic British heist. Yes, and as I said, one percent ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Give it two many.
Speaker 5: So what's the story. Well, let's get into it. As they sat up top, It's called the Croydon Aerodrome Heist. In case you didn't know it. As the official Sutton Council website puts it, the Croydon Aerodrome was quote the cradle of British civil aviation and London's chief airport for twenty vital years between the World Wars.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that's fascinating time.
Speaker 2: Yes, the time we love.
Speaker 5: I thought you'd get into this, yes, So the Croydon Aerodrome got it started in nineteen fifteen. At that time it was the new home for the Royal Flying Corps and then three years later, in nineteen eighteen, the National Aircraft Factory Number one opened nearby. That airplane factory had its own airfield, So now there were two airfields super close to each other.
Speaker 4: Did they kiss?
Speaker 5: I was just about to say, you know what happens when two airfields love each other very much? So the Beddington and Wadden aerodromes. That's what they were known. They eventually merged stright, yeah, and they become the Croydon Aerodrome. Now this place, the Beddington Wadden aerodromes. Those airfields were where the man who would become King George the six earned his wings as a pilot in nineteen nineteen. Fly on totally training missions there, like with the scarf, the whole bit.
Speaker 4: Oh it's so cute.
Speaker 2: I gotta say.
Speaker 5: If you're training the future king to fly at a time when planes are still hell experimental.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta be mad nervous.
Speaker 4: Oh totally.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine teaching the future King to fly in like some rickety ass shaking, shimming biplane. He's like, grab that stick, you're.
Speaker 4: No, where's the spare? Here the air the spare.
Speaker 5: So in nineteen twenty that's when the two airfields eventually merge and they become the official customs Airport of London and the new airfield that's when it was officially named Croydon because that was the closest.
Speaker 2: Local town, right.
Speaker 5: So this is the now the official birth of the Croydon Aerodrome.
Speaker 2: Nineteen twenty.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the world.
Speaker 5: A few years later in nineteen twenty four, the airlines Imperial Airways made the Croydon Aerodrome its home airfield. So now they have like their own airline, you know, it's like, oh, we're a Delta hub. This is the Imperial Airways hub.
Speaker 4: Imperial do you think Imperial Airways is they invented Imperial margin?
Speaker 2: But yes, Margine and Butter, yes.
Speaker 4: That is part of their Oay, just checking.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you asked that's actually what they used to grease the pistons in the engines.
Speaker 4: Oh that's where it okay, I am so glad. I asked that that was very relevant, pertinent and important.
Speaker 5: Butter, so for things like the mail and parcels of freight, that's where they would get pulled into because this is the official customs house, right, so you have all the international travel coming through their international transport. And for the purposes of our story, this also meant gold bouyon would be brought through here.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 5: This would all become important because, as the Guardian reported and I quote, security was very lax and with only one person on a night and nothing but a set of keys keeping them from the strong room, it was the perfect target. So they have all this gold bullion on all this international freight, and they're like, oh, right, we should get security guards, maybe a couple locks. So, as the newspaper The Examiner from Loston, Tasmania reported at the time in the nineteen thirties, this is because this robbery took place in nineteen thirty five, on the date of actually March fifth, nineteen thirty five. So a couple days later, the newspaper The Examiner, which is down from Lonston, Tasmania, all the way on the other side of the planet. Yeah, they reported on this story because that's how big a story it was. It was global news, right, this bouillon theft, and they reported on the date of March fifth, nineteen thirty five. That's the date of the robbery, so they're reporting on events on that day. So the story I found said, and I quote, boxes of coin and bullion were collected in the afternoon and placed in the strong room, the keys of which were handed to a clerk named Johnson. Now that same story goes on to lay out the particulars of what happened next to our my man john and I quote Johnson was alone in the aerodrome at night and having locked his office door, went to sleep in accordance with his custom, with these strong room keys in his pocket, until he was awakened by an alarm at four fifteen am to attend to the arrival of a German airliner. The door was still then locked and the keys were in his pocket.
Speaker 2: So all good, so far.
Speaker 4: Wait you work the night shift and you go there to go to sleep.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm talking about lack fun security. Now, those two sets of keys, they are an important detail for what occurs next. Because as Herbert roy Huggins, the station superintendent, the mandit's in charge of this whole Croydon Aerodrome, explained for the Boo Yawn room, the place where they're keeping the gold, this secure facility. It had two doors. There was an inner door and an outer door, and there were separate keys for each door. So like a nuclear sub you got to have the two keys. In this case, you got to have the two keys to get through one door then the next door, and one of those sets of keys was still safely secured in his pocket. So he's like, okay, we're good. I got I got the keys. I know we had run a lax ship, but I got the keys. So later on that same night, March fifth, my man Herbert Roy Huggins, he locked his set of keys in his desk drawer. He took the key to his desk home with him. All good, so far, right, So we have the Johnson, he's taking care of the German airliner, the superintendent. He took the other set of keys.
Speaker 4: Herby Huggins home with him. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So he awakes the next morning and when he arrives back at work at five am, just a little bit after Johnson went to deal with the German airliner, he unlocks his desk and his set of keys were still right where he left him, so their security protocols were still engaged. Now the other airfield officials they arrive a couple hours later at around seven am, and that is when it's discovered that the doors to the strong room where the gold bully on his store, they were unlocked.
Speaker 2: Un Dunne, could this be Saren?
Speaker 4: How could this be Johnson?
Speaker 2: No, Huggins.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Johnson and it wasn't Huggins, but it was certainly curious.
Speaker 4: Wait, Herbie Huggins was in the clear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if they're both in the because you know he was you know away from the aerodrome, he comes back, or so he claims. Now, what was far more curious for those who were wondering where.
Speaker 2: The gold is?
Speaker 5: Yes, the fact that the gold bullion was gone, like gone, gone, gone gone, Yeah, nothing was there. And we're talking twenty thousand pounds sterling worth of gold coins like British pounds not yet eight pounds, right, and it hit it up and disappeared. Now, so the superintendent and the others sorted air officials at this point because they had their whole security protocol in place. Yeah, they are shocked, stun flabbergasted. I mean I think they would say gobsmacked a those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would totally say that how.
Speaker 5: Could this have happened? And more importantly, where the hell is the gold?
Speaker 2: Right now? Before you ask, I did calculate what all that gold would be well, thank you.
Speaker 4: In my head, I was like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty thousand pounds in nineteen thirty five. Yeah, so I had to do a double conversion, right.
Speaker 4: So zaren I've been there right, No, it's not easy.
Speaker 5: So I did the inflation calculator first, So twenty thousand pounds in nineteen thirty five would be worth one point two six', five so one point two million pounds.
Speaker 2: Today, Okay, now if you do the conversion on this.
Speaker 4: One point twenty sixty five one call it one point? Three sure that one point?
Speaker 5: Three why not one point? Three and if you do the conversion to dollars for that one point three million, pounds that converts to one, million six hundred ninety one, thousand seven hundred and FORTY us dollars or one point seven million dollars for. You, wow that of a score for whomever had stolen, yeah. Ghosts and this would become a real challenge for the police because when they arrived there are no obvious clues as to who pulled off this epic gold, heist and the security protocol had been. ENGAGED i mean they, like you took the keys home and there's. Key, Yes johnson was here dealing with The german. Airliners we got witnesses.
Speaker 4: For where he was and, Snoozing, yeah and.
Speaker 5: Snoozing so it's either either he was asleep or he was going struck in Zy. Deutsch so at this point this gold, heist it leads to this swarm of police From london who raced out to The Croyd narodrome to, investigate AND i WISH i could not find, this BUT i don't know if the flying squad was called out to the.
Speaker 2: Airfield, right let's just, see let's just. Imagine it makes some more.
Speaker 4: Fun you, know who's going to check me on?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 5: Right AND i mean it's an. Airfield why would they not have the flying squad?
Speaker 4: There and if we don't have any written record of, it it's because it was a top secret. Mission there you, go so they were.
Speaker 2: THERE i like where your head's. Are thank you.
Speaker 5: Too now at this, Point i'm going to tell you another little.
Speaker 2: Secret do. It it's time for us to take a.
Speaker 5: Break so let's listen to some ads and when we're, back we will meet the men who pulled off this, mysterious staggering gold heist back in two and.
Speaker 2: Two and we're, Back.
Speaker 5: Elizabeth, heyo you ready to meet the gang Of british hard men who pulled off This buoleon?
Speaker 2: Heigh?
Speaker 4: YES i was born? Ready? Good?
Speaker 5: Good, No, FIRST i have a question for. You you Know i'm always filled with. Questions you ask such good. ONES i try to keep. UP i know you've been To. London, yes have you ever taken a handsome cab while you were there handsome, cab black cab of. Course, yeah AND i also think But i'm not, certain SO i have to ask do you know about the test that The london black cab drivers have to?
Speaker 4: Take, yes it's crazy that you have to memorize every single. Street, yeah it's know.
Speaker 2: Everything it is absolutely.
Speaker 5: Nuts and by the, way WHEN i say black cab, DRIVER i don't mean the drivers are.
Speaker 2: BLACK i mean the taxi cab is.
Speaker 4: Itself.
Speaker 5: Yeah just picture one of those throwback looking handsome. Cabs it's you, know they're all, black nag puck pop pop, pop drive around.
Speaker 2: Kind of rattle, Though, yeah and you.
Speaker 4: Get the cool like face each other back. Seats, yeah those taxis are.
Speaker 2: AMAZING i love you know.
Speaker 5: ME i always take. CABS i don't Use uber for any of that. Stuff and over, THERE i don't.
Speaker 4: Know, NO i would never do that over. THERE i always take. Taxis and the thing is, too is That i've found that when you're there and because they know absolutely, everything there are fonts of knowledge of stuff to, do like Completely one TIME i was in a taxi In london AND i said, like, okay you know they're all like the big heavy hitter museums that everyone goes to bend to all of. Them what's a museum or like a site that people don't know about that you would. Recommend he's like, Automatically he's, like you got to go to the Medical museum AND i can't remember off the top of my head what it was, called but like it was you loved it incredible AND i never in a million years, ago but it was. Fascinating, yeah there's an amateur. Taxidermist but it's like they can recommend all sorts of stuff because they see.
Speaker 2: Everything oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: Totally they got me through all the coolest gardens and. Stuff i'd be, LIKE i have a, have you, know half of a day to. SPEND i want to go to a. Garden they're, like all, right, MATE i know good.
Speaker 2: Ones yeah.
Speaker 5: Exactly so that's HOW i found all about like you, Know kensington And gardens and all these other smaller, ones like they had these Like tuckaway gardens nobody knew. ABOUT i was, like oh.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, yeah it's. Amazing so that.
Speaker 5: Test it's called The knowledge, yeah WHICH i just love that as a. Name, yeah it's like it sounds like it's like almost, medieval like it's the sum of what every alchemist knows is the.
Speaker 4: Knowledge do you possess the knowledge?
Speaker 5: Exactly so the knowledge it started one hundred and sixty one years, ago way back in eighteen sixty. Five, so as you pointed, out a beast of a, test it takes on average three to four years to pass.
Speaker 4: It, yeah it's.
Speaker 5: Basically like passing the bar here In america because and you, know as you, noted you're required to know pretty much all Of. London to pass this. Test you have to memorize twenty five thousand. Streets, yeah you have to know twenty thousand major attractions In, London so you got to know all the railway, stations the, hospitals, hotels, parks major tourist, spots just absolutely. Everything and then this off the beaten path stuff as. Well, yeah AND i wanted to put this a little bit in. Perspective how much that is forty five thousand things that they have to. Know the Average american only note they only, knows but knows forty two thousand. Words so they who did word to the location in. Street the knowledge is like learning a whole language of physical.
Speaker 2: Destinations, well that's why you get in.
Speaker 4: There they're never using as they call it over THEIR, Satnav, no NO. Gps it's like and it's because they're not relying on things like. That they have this intimate knowledge of the. Streets they know.
Speaker 5: They look at, them they look at the, screen.
Speaker 4: But they're also it's like they'll know what really isn't the best way to get.
Speaker 5: Somewhere, oh they know the fastest, way they know the prettiest. Way they know like the, oath we got. Construction, here here's an.
Speaker 2: Alternate.
Speaker 4: Exactly it's.
Speaker 5: Incredible and by the, way this test the, knowledge what it requires of them actually changes their. Brains really, yeah this is backed up by. Science researchers have determined that the brain of A london cab driver who's passed the, knowledge it changes to the point that it impacts their. Memories like often they will find that once they pass the, knowledge they're able to suddenly remember like all of their, kids school teachers' names and everything that they if it's like their wife has an, appointment they remember the, doctor the street they can. Remember just have like a sponge for a. Brain, yeah it's.
Speaker 4: Fantastic In, GLASGOW i used to take them and like if it was too late to walk from the city center to WHERE i was over on The West, End and no matter the age of the taxi, Driver i'd say seventy percent of the time WHEN i would tell them my, address they knew exactly the building without getting to the. Street and they would tell, me you, know that building was bombed in The. Blitz it was the only one on that block and it was leveled and they had to rebuild. It And i'd, say, oh, yep, YEAH i, know it's pretty, crazy BUT i mean like young, people young, guys, yeah, yeah like but they heard it pass, down pass, Down so it's not even just In. London these you know In, glasgow they're, yeah. Incredible it's a culture of that source knowlogy.
Speaker 5: Exactly so the reason WHY i bring up the knowledge is that A london cab driver is a key figure in this, story, okay and his peckable memory would presumably make him an excellent eye witness for this, heist and he would remember. Everything he'd be, like you, know like you one of them super. Observers so who is this black cab, driver fantastic question Of his name Is George.
Speaker 2: Manson George, Mansons and on.
Speaker 5: That fateful night of The gold. Heist he was, working, well, technically he was in his black cab taking a bit of a snooze when he hears this knock on the, window like just like knuckles. Rapping, yeah sometimes it's described as a, hammering.
Speaker 2: Like the cop. Knock, yeah, Exactly that's HOW i pictured.
Speaker 5: It and this is one in the, morning, right and it makes it technically the next, Day march, sixth because even though it's a whole, thing because of the you, know the the way that the robbery, occurs it's always In march, fifth is In march six by this point is Now march six, anyway As George manson tells, it he gets awakened by this.
Speaker 2: Knocking he shakes off his.
Speaker 5: Sleep he looks, up sees his face staring back at him through the, glass and it's a, man he, knows a man Nicknamed Little. Harry, yeah which is such a great criminal, nickname, right mostly for, me it's because it implies the existence of a Second british hard man known As Big, harry.
Speaker 4: And Then Medium, man Possibly Medium, harry their third.
Speaker 5: One, right, anyway on the other side of the glasses There Little. Harry and he asked the cab, Driver George manson to give him a ride To King's cross rail. Station he's, like, okay oh, sure pop In. Governor but he's, like, no, no not right. Now in three, hours so he wants to go like at four.
Speaker 2: Am yeah he.
Speaker 5: Is it is exactly. It he's, like don't be, anywhere be here SO i can get. You so he's like. Okay so he does as it told or as instructed or has, ordered depending how you want to tell. It and some three hours, later at four, am the cab Driver George manson is happy to oblige and he gives them a ride over to The King's Cross railway. Station and that's Where Little harry meets up with three other hard. Men they hop in the handsome cab and they head up to a second. Location they drive to a spot Called Thornton heath and from there they drove to a little, road a little road like a country road Called Pearly. Way that's Where George manson Drops Little harry and the three other men, off about three quarters of a mile from The Croydon. Aerodrome now they right before they walk, Off Little harry tells the cab driver you wait here for us to come. Back oh so he's got to sit there in the middle of the nowhere idling at like four forty five in the morning or four to thirty in the morning at this. Point now together the men all head off into the dark toward The Croyd Narrow.
Speaker 4: Drum but, see it's also Little harry knows he's a hard, man so he can't be like not going to happen and then just drive off.
Speaker 5: Totally he knows he's now part of this. Crew basically he's like an unaffiliated. Member they know him and they know that he knows what they're you're doing where they. Are so it's, like, oh, anyway who are these other hard men besides Little. Harry i'm so glad you Asked elizabeth. Too we have forty seven year Old Cecil swanland Or Cecil Swanland, CECIL i love. That and there was then the old man of the, bunch a seventy four year Old john, O'Brien, Okay and lastly there was thirty eight year Old Silvio schank mazarda Shunk shank like s h o n K Shank Mazar. Shunk, yeah he's got a name Like Silvia. Mazard he's, like call me.
Speaker 4: SHANK i, know, like, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: How long he's been In Great. Britain, brother So Cecil swanlin was a career. Criminal he had a particularly long rap. Sheet most of his, offenses and he'd been locked up and done prison time, for were forgery and. Theft my favorite story from looking up his like rap sheet is he once robbed his own father and hoping to teach his son a valuable. Lesson his father pressed charges, right and the lesson that he hoped his boy learned was not. Learned, instead he became a good time, charlie his career. Criminal he's, like, yeah he's. Bitter, yeah, exactly and so thus he becomes nicknamed the man who can't go. Straight oh that's his other. Likename, yeah it's definitely a long.
Speaker 4: One it's it's no, Shank.
Speaker 2: It doesn't go right to the.
Speaker 5: Point So Cecil swanlin he called himself an, artist and he uh to prove it to other. People he dressed the. Part he dressed just like an.
Speaker 2: Artist do you wear?
Speaker 5: Beret i'd like to believe it's nineteen thirty, five So i'm thinking he's probably wearing a beret like a necker chief. Smock, yeah exactly, Espitrals, yes and the old Man john. O'Brien he did not have the same sort of a. Lawn he also didn't have the same sort of illustrious crime. Career he was basically like a. Fence he was, LIKE i kind of sit, STILL i handle. Business so he also had no major rap sheet, defenses not in comparison To Cecil. Swanland and, lastly there was my, man you're a, Man Shunk Mazarg. Shk turns out he was a member of The Sabinie, gang as in the Same sabini gang that features prominently in season two Of Peaky.
Speaker 4: Blinders, eh you, KNOW i really hope That shank isn't like crazy offensive And i'm just saying it over and over.
Speaker 5: Again, YEAH i didn't really look that.
Speaker 2: UP i. DIDN'T i.
Speaker 5: DIDN'T i didn't never encourage me that it could be like an, epithet, Right, no.
Speaker 4: That's just okay if it is.
Speaker 5: APOLOGY i assumed it was just like a fun sound to, say you, know Like, schunk he stabs.
Speaker 2: People shunk exactly good with the, knife good and.
Speaker 4: Clothes every time we say, it people are just like Win sing in THE, Uk they're, like how are they allowed.
Speaker 5: To it's like when A Lexi lawis said called somebody a, whanker, right And tyr were like look at each, other like can you say?
Speaker 2: This thank? God they were An AMERICAN.
Speaker 5: Tv so The Sabini, gang as it may remind, you was very much a power in the field Of british crime families in the nineteen. Thirties the gang was far more than a. Gang they many times the estimates were put at about three hundred. People oh, yeah so it was much more like a small army collective crime. Collective so this gang was led By Charles sabini Aka Darby. Sabini he was A British italian. Gangster he drew his power as the protector like the boss Of Little italy In, london and in the interwar period Between World War one And World War, two he was essentially like a racetrack.
Speaker 2: Gangster, yeah, yeah just like you see in the.
Speaker 5: Show and he when he was born, though AS i, learned his name was Actually Otavio. Handley oh and then he just took on the Name Charles.
Speaker 4: Sabini sabini sounds really, cool.
Speaker 5: Exactly so he had a good instinct for, like you, know a new appellation for himself now as he saw a peaky. Blinder AS i, Said sabini's at this racetrack, gangster so he's mostly hanging around like The midland. Racetracks he's also though a major underworld figure In. London and this, Man Shank mazarta was like a prominent figure in The sabini, gang real close To, sabini and so he gets involved in this gold. Heist it strongly suggests that this is A Sabini gang, heist right all, Right, so as the papers at the time, Reported Cecil swanland was basically the mastermind of The Croydon aerodrome. Heist he was the man who brought the job to The sabini. Gang we don't know exactly if that's, true but that was the. Supposition. Sure so this is our crew and their criminal. Affiliation we got Little Harry, cecil the man who can't go, Straight, Swanlin john O'Brien And Sylvio Shank. Mazarta and at sometime around four am this crew arrived At Croydon aerodrome and they have the cab, Driver george Manson or to wait for, them and hour, passes the dark of night begins to turn into like the purple skies of the coming. Dawn and that's when the four men, return but they don't walk. Back, instead they drive back from The Croydon airfield and what's called what is later called in paper is a dilapidated small.
Speaker 2: Car oh, YEAH i saw that used numerous. Times it's not a.
Speaker 5: Brand what do you guys all called a dilapid into a small car?
Speaker 4: Anyway no other way to describe.
Speaker 5: This, Yeah so the car pulls up close to this waiting cab that's just idling, there standing in the, dark and the men move with professional. Efficiency they unload three boxes from the dilapidated small car and they load them into the boot of the black, cab and they're not shy or coy about what's in the three. Boxes one of the men tells the cab Driver George, manson AND i.
Speaker 2: Quote this is.
Speaker 5: Gold, no, yeah that was in the. Newspaper it's like this is. Gold so once he hears, That George manson's, like take it. OUT i don't want to mess about with any stolen.
Speaker 2: Gold.
Speaker 5: Ye but the four men they ain't hearing any noise from their cab, driver and they tell him his job is to drive not to worry about what he's, carrying so he does the math in his head real. Quick there for, them there's one of, him their career. Criminals he's a cab. Driver they have deep connections with The sabini. Gang so he's, like all, right, Right, kevin you want to. Go So George manson's, like, okay, Yeah i'm gonna pipe. Down so he just gets back to the cab and just waits for them to get done with their business of moving the gold from one car to the. Other, Eventually sabini's Man Shock. Mazarda he hops back in the dilapidate into small car and he drives off in. That the other three, men Including Little, harry they pop back in the black cab and they Tell george where to drive, again he does as. Instructed he drives them to the home of the man who can't go straight, Old Cecil.
Speaker 4: Swanlin but they might as well just draw a math right with the. Gold so they're, like.
Speaker 5: This is, gold here's our. Hideout and by the, way there's the. Address it's Three. Pemberton SO i Know i'm not a career. Criminal i'm also not A british hard, man BUT i think these are serious flaws in their.
Speaker 4: Plaint, YEAH i. Definitely.
Speaker 5: Yeah they seem to have much different ideas about.
Speaker 2: Trust so NOW i.
Speaker 4: Can understand how you're able to tell me this. Story, yeah it's not a great unsolved. Mystery and then get.
Speaker 2: This they have a cab.
Speaker 5: Driver once they come back to their, hideout they just let him go on his, way Like i'm sure you've.
Speaker 2: Got business to. Do he's just cut.
Speaker 5: Loose you, know news is going to break very, soon and they have a key witness just out on the. STREETS i hope there's not a big reward. Posted so at this, point once they've let their eyewitness, free you, know they go, Okay AND i think they're convinced that their threats are scaring, him are going to.
Speaker 2: Keep him in. LINE i have to believe that's what it.
Speaker 6: Is.
Speaker 5: Anyway so this black cab, driver he's now we've got morning, traffic he's going to be, Busy so he does this.
Speaker 2: Thing they do their.
Speaker 5: Things so the criminals they go Into Cecil swanlin's. Home it's like a rented room and like a boarding, house and they start counting their halts very. Private but first they've got a break into the strong. Boxes this is no easy. Test these three. Boxes they eventually are able to like break into, them possibly using plasticcene.
Speaker 2: Explosives, yes they've gotta be, yeah very. Heavy they had to get a whole car to bring.
Speaker 6: Them.
Speaker 5: Remember, Yeah so the three, boxes once they get them, open they find their three bars of. Gold there are also five thousand gold coins from The United states and there are fifty eight hundred gold coins from THE. Uk all, told the score is worth about twenty one thousand, pounds or AS i told you, earlier now roughly one point six million dollars or for you one point Seven so not bad for a few hours work in the early morning. Hours, now at this, point the superintendent of The Croydon aerodrome arrives at work because we're still in the early morning. Hours two hours, later his fellow coworkers arrived at seven. Am like, YadA, YadA. YadA they discover the strong room has been, unlocked the gold bullion is. Missing they, Panic they call the, authorities the investigation. Begins the flying squad comes. Out now the trouble for this gang is that they've pulled off their gold, heist but their cab, Driver George, manson who they presumably threatened to. Stay, mom isn't the only Eyewitness you're. Kidding turns out there was a second man who saw all of this pretty much go. Down the second witness was this man Named Alfred George, king and he happened to be an early. Riser and not only, that he was one of my.
Speaker 2: Dudes he was a.
Speaker 5: Cyclist he was out riding in the early, morning like four in the, morning, right and so he sees the like he's there under the same like you, know purple skies of. Dawn he sees the cab idling near the arrow. Drack and not only, that he sees the cab pass. Him so he's able to like jot down the license, plate and he sees the small dilapidated old car.
Speaker 4: As, well so he gets the whole.
Speaker 2: Score he doesn't get the license plate on.
Speaker 4: A, second he wrote down the license plate.
Speaker 5: To another one of your, people, right yeah. Something so once he's, like you, know, well this, Dude Alfred George king is like cycling Along Pearly, way he Sees George manson's, cab he sees the little dilapidated.
Speaker 2: Car he jots it all.
Speaker 5: Down and, uh then he's Like i'm just going to, do like go about my. Day he gets, home he's just not in the first morning, newspaper but not soon afterwards on the radio this news popping up and he's, like.
Speaker 2: Huh that's, interesting uh.
Speaker 5: Huh and now we have our first, like, oh MAYBE i should call the bobbies right. Now at this, point also you have to recognize that there is a second eye. Witness, right that's, bad, right, okay, yeah but there's a third eyewitness. Two oh, Yes because remember how the three men had the cab driver drop them off early in the morning At Cecil's swanlin's, home, Right, well he had a land lady and she was another busy body and apparently an early, riser SO i, guess or maybe a light, SLEEPER i don't, know because she apparently hears this loud noise coming from his Cecil swanlin's.
Speaker 4: Flag oh, yeah they're trying to like blow it up WITH c four or.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 5: Total first they're bringing the heavy boxes in and they just drop them on the floor and that like shakes the, house wakes her. Up so she goes to the, window throws up and the sash looks down and sees them pulling more boxes out of the cab and then, like you, know bringing them in the. House at this, point it's like just before six in the. Morning so what does she, see you, know great, Question. Elizabeth she sees the, cab the cab, driver the man who can't go, Straight Cecil, swanland his, crew the, boxes all of. It she can put all of them together in a. Timeline she knows what time she got. Up she's an ideal, eyewitness, Right and also she then describes how she would later, recall he rushed into the, house went into the sitting, room and THEN i heard another thump similar to the ONE i heard. Before and then a little while later she hears the window of the sitting room slide. Open this is followed by smoke lifting out of the. Window that's from the explosion that they used to blow open the lock. Box so now she's got like the whole crime pretty much. Down so she's, like, oh this is. Odd now she starts clocking her lodger like it's her part time. Job so later that same day in the, evening she Sees cecil swanmen walk out of the boarding house and he's like burdened carrying like what looks to be a heavy, box and so he walks, out puts this heavy box into the trunk or the boot if you prefer some waiting. Car then that car drives. Off so now she knows where the gold is not it's like or whatever the box is. Not she's seeing the whole. Event, Meanwhile, elizabeth the police at this point are getting busy with their. Investigation the press has gotten word of. Stuff and the first person helps and break the case is that busy body. Cyclist once the news, hits he shows up and your fellow super, observer he's, like did you need the license plate of the cab THAT i? Saw so with, that now the police are able to be like. Oh they look. Up George manson goes off of the license plate and they go to, him and when he's, questioned he's, like, OH i was ordered by these guys to go out. There that's WHY i was there. Waiting like what did You where did you take? Them he's, like, oh the Three. Pemberton he takes them to the landlady's house and she's, like, oh thank, GOOD i was about to call you. Guys so now she can tell her. Part so now we got all three eyewitnesses working together and the police pretty much solve the case day. One now you're within the first hours of the. Day so at this point they go in they Search Cecil swanlin's room in the boarding. House they find a ton of. Evidence they discover a bunch of nail heads that are blown out of the, box the same nails that they can identify they belong to the lock. Boxes they're very like specific security, NAILS i. Guess they also discover partially burned seals from this company that was the consignee of the. Gold they also, have as that's now irrefutable evidence that they're connected to The Croydon aerodrome. Heist and they also they know That Cecil swanlin has a notable rap sheet and has just recently been released from. Prison so the police questioned this career criminal about all the curious stuff in his room and he's, like, oh, well you, know they're, like what about these brand new gold. Cufflings he's, like, OH i was just bopped. DOWN i bought. These and also there's a bunch of expensive clothing and didn't you just get out of. Prison he's, like, well you, Know i'm an. Autist it look to look good AND i, was what about this really expensive brooch you've. Purchased he's, like, well my, wife she's a younger. LADY i like to keep a feeling very. Beautiful she's twenty one years, old you know how it. Is and they're, like uh, huh.
Speaker 4: How do you got to Spending.
Speaker 5: Yes, Immediately so at this, point the most damning thing they find is The Imperial airways timetable and the paperwork detailing the gold fright and when it's expected to arrive from the mode of gold that was.
Speaker 2: Stolen.
Speaker 5: Right this is obviously enough to Erase Cecil. Swanland so this cab, Driver George, manson he gets brought in as a cooperating witness to Identify cecil from a police. Lineup cab driver with the impeccable, memory is able to of course put the finger To. Cecil he's, like, yep that's the.
Speaker 2: Man, yeah and Says.
Speaker 5: Swanland then is soon joined in the police lineup by the other, Ones Shock mazarta and the old Man john. O'Neil they pulled them into and he's, like, Okay sabini's.
Speaker 2: MAN i know.
Speaker 5: Him and it's Also john, O'Neil i know.
Speaker 2: Him he.
Speaker 5: Brags George manson brags to the police that he's Known Shank mazarta for twenty maybe thirty. Years he's, LIKE i definitely know who that guy. Is HE'S i think he thinks he's gonna make. It, Okay i'm gonna wash my hands of. THIS i was not part of. IT i don't want the. Mbions so he's like telling EVERYBODY i know, HIM i know. Him i've known, him this guy for donkeys. Years so now at this, point all three men are, arrested But Little harry is not part of.
Speaker 2: This, Okay oh, yeah so he.
Speaker 5: Doesn't get pulled. In somehow he remains on the. Lamb nobody can find. Where so while he's in the, wind his three associates are now arrested and soon to be put on. Trial the question is is will they get off and will they betray the mystery Man Little, harry who is possibly the real ringleader for The. Heights right that, Thought, Elizabeth we'll take a little break and after these messages we go to.
Speaker 2: Trial yes we're, Back.
Speaker 5: Elizabeth, hello you're ready to hear how The Croydon Aerodrum Gold heights plays out in?
Speaker 4: Court am?
Speaker 2: Good because this is Fun.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you the first trial they Do Cecil swanland on his own His landlady seems only too happy to do her part to implicate her former. Lodger she goes up on the. Stand she's answering questions from the. Prosecutor she's telling all that she. Knows she describes the heavy covered box taken from the car brought into her.
Speaker 2: Home she describes the thumb she.
Speaker 5: Heard she tells about the sounds of attempting to force something, open the, explosion possibly the smoke coming out of the. Window as The Daily herald Of london, reported her name's Missus. Schultz she testifies that AND i, QUOTE i could hear men's, voices and the commotion continued for nearly an, hour so she's able.
Speaker 2: To give him like a.
Speaker 5: Timeline she notes that, she AS i, said she sees the smoke building out from the. Window that explains all the burned, stuff and so she's basically, saying, yes she can connect him to all this. Now perhaps most, importantly she also testifies that before the, trial a stranger came up to her and warned, her if you take my, advice you will have nothing to do with. It so she also admits there is a larger. Conspiracy but you, know she's, Like i'm gonna go ahead and be a witness. Anyway so she does citizen very good. Citizens so, see Miss, shelt you can't keep, her scare her from doing her part from justice for justice rather now the end of her, testimony she did add that her former lodger was a very nice person and so is his young. Wife so she did want to acknowledge. THAT i don't know if that's for like his sentencing. Anyway next comes a surprise. Witness While Cecil's swanland was held in police custody at the prison In, brixton he met a man Named Robert, steele and the prosecution Calls Old Bobby steele to the witness. Stand While steele was At, brixton he had the job to take food in the day's newspapers around to his fellow, inmates and the newspapers all had like names on, them like, okay this IS i think it's basically you sign up for the, paper.
Speaker 4: So we've got this.
Speaker 5: List so he knew That cecil wanted the. Papers he brings a miss papers and as The Daily telegraph, Reported Old Bobby steel testified AND i, quote On march, TENTH i delivered to pay but To, swanland AND i did not know him, before but each man's name was on the top of his. Paper LATER i read my own newspaper and saw a Mister swanland had been arrested in connection with The croydon gold. Case so, now being an, inmate he's, like.
Speaker 2: Bro what's the.
Speaker 5: Story so next time he brings the food, around he goes and he gets curious about his fellow. Inmates so back to The telegraph's coverage of the, TRIAL A steel testified and AGAIN i, quote next, day during a conversation With, SWANLAND i, said that was a smart job you pulled. Off he, said, yes BUT i think somebody has shopped. ME i, said why worry if you have the, stuff he, said oh, Yes i've got that well. Planted they will never get.
Speaker 4: THAT i love their posh.
Speaker 2: Accent thank you.
Speaker 5: Run so that would seem like a rather damning, Testimony but Old Bobby steele wasn't. Done he next. TESTIFIED i, replied you are all right if you've got, that and he, said detectives have been to my place and have raked out ashes and have found some clips in burned. Wood they say that these clips were specifically made for the boxes that we chopped boxes up and burned. Them so he's now corroborating everything that the landlady. SAID i, mean, like damn, son have you ever heard of keeping your damn?
Speaker 2: Mouse?
Speaker 4: Shu, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly SO i guess you. Know and he's in, prison he's.
Speaker 4: Bored i've said this. Before there's some people need to be. Told you don't always have to say. Something it's. Okay it's okay to just be. Quiet it's okay to not, share maybe.
Speaker 5: Talk, about like you, know the football scorer or the rugby whatever's going on that's also in the pace.
Speaker 4: He's asking those. Questions just you just don't always have to.
Speaker 5: Comment what's the news on the, continent you. Know so at this point in the, trial the defense team gets to work and they call a witness from The brixton prison like of their, own but this witness is a prison officer Named Robert. White And Robert white he testifies AND i, quote circumstances made it impossible For swanland And steele to have had a conversation that. MORNING i Guess steele has, alleged so he basically refutes it. All, yeah we got a prison guard Going those people weren't even in the same.
Speaker 4: Block, Interesting, yeah that prison guard who Knows.
Speaker 5: So with his confession now placed in, doubt the defense rests and it's all left up to the.
Speaker 2: Jury.
Speaker 5: Yeah Those this trial only lasts three. Days it's not a long. Trial the jury deliberates for just fifteen. Minutes oh you, know that's never a good. Time they come back with a result of. Guilty bang, bang So Cecil swanlin the man who can't go straight and is sentenced to seven years in. Prison, wow, yep send him right. Back and after that first, trial next comes the trial Of Shock mazarda And john. O'Brien, yeah so they get tried, separately and in the opening argument the prosecution they lay out their physical. Evidence they have the half burned seals connecting them to the gold. Shipment they have the nails which connect them to the strong. Box they have a wire key that could have been used to open the strong. Box this Prosecutor Graham. Brooks he tells those in the courtroom that the wire key, quote although it fits the lock and turns the levels to a certain, degree it does not completely open at any rate in the hands of the police and. Myself the suggestion of the prosecution will be that it might be used to turn the lock by a person of unusual. Skill the implication is Either Cecil swanlin or old Man john O'Neil is the person of unusual skills. Exactly, now for the second, trial beyond the physical, evidence the prosecution also has i, say three key. Eyewitnesses there is the Cyclist Alfred George, king the Landlady Missus, schultz and the cab Driver George. Manson so they don't have. Lego we got prison guards and a prison. Inmate we've got the key, people so all of whom can connect the men to the gold or The Croydon. Aerodrome, however remember How shock mazarda was a connected man from The sabini. Gang, yes and you remember How Missus schultz testified that she'd been threatened by a stranger before her testimony Against Cecil.
Speaker 4: Schwarmers well you can.
Speaker 5: Likely guess what that means for these. Eyewitnesses, also remember the cab Driver george He. Manson he admitted to the police that he Known Shock mazar over twenty maybe thirty, years which implies that he knows he's in tight with The sabinia gang, exactly and he's well aware what The Sabini gang is capable, of, right and you, know once again AS i, said it's A london cabby with an impeccable.
Speaker 2: Memory so he.
Speaker 5: Goes he's called to the stand and he's supposed to give his eyewitness. Testimony but rather than me tell you About, Elizabeth i'd like you to close your eyes as a Close i'd like you to picture. It it's been a long. Day you've been in court since it opened its doors this. Morning you're working as a reporter covering this Second Croydon aerodrum heist. Trial you adjust your body in the hard backed wooden, seat exhale your frustrations and, exhaustion and then you look up to see the next witness as he gets situated in the witness. Stand the witness Is George, manson the cab. Driver his testimony is key for the. Prosecution you put your pencil to, pad ready to take. Notes the prosecutor Asks George manson to identify. Himself he. Does the prosecutor asks him if the men who rode in his to The Croydon aerodrome are in the. Courtroom the cab driver looks At Shaq mazarda and then at the Older john, O'Neil and he, SAYS i don't recognize those. Men. NO a few people in the gallery kind of gasp in. Surprise you look up from your. Notepad you had not. Expected that is the key witness lying about what he saw and experienced that fateful. Morning sure seems like. It the prosecutor seems a bit, irritated but he maintains his. Composure he asked the chief magistrate to treat the witness's. Hostile the magistrate a sense this is about to get. Good the prosecutor grabs paperwork from his desk and he reads aloud from the cab driver's initial statements from the police lineup when he Identified Shack mazarta And john. O'Brien the cab driver shakes his head, SAYS i don't remember saying. That, now the prosecutor asked him if anyone approached him about his testimony in the. Trial the cab driver rolls his eyes and says, again he doesn't remember what he. Said the prosecutor walks up to the witness stand reminds the cab driver he is under, Oath the prosecutor Asked George manson if his testimony at the time was in. Accurate in, Response manson, says, Truthfully, GOVERNANCE i don't recall WHAT i said to the. Kappas the chief magistrate, says, sarcastically you've lost your. MEMORY a few laughs break out in the. Gallery the hostile witness smiles and starts to play to the. Moment he, SAYS i don't trust to believe what the police CLAIM i may or may not have.
Speaker 2: Said prosecutor bulldozes. Forward he has the.
Speaker 5: Witness is it true that you've Known Shank mazada for twenty or thirty, years which is what you told the. Officers cab driver, SAYS i never said. That prosecutor's quick to, reply it's right here in your witness. Statement George manson can tell he has the crowd and possibly The chief magistrate on his, side so now he goes for. Broke he, Says i'm not setting what ALL i said to the. Police they're not always truthful that, lot you know WHAT i. Mean there's some snickers of.
Speaker 2: Laughter in the.
Speaker 5: Gallery you're scribbling notes as fast as you. Can the prosecutor reads aloud more of the cab driver's statement to the police about how the men returned to his cab after he dropped them off near the airfield and he was told what to wait. There prosecutor asks, him did you say? That the cab driver, says, NAH i don't remember saying. It some more snickers of laughter sound in the gallery of The Chief magistry has to bang his gavel to restore quiet to the. Courtroom you scribbled notes at a frantic, pace trying to keep. Up this trial just went fully. Sideways this is going to be a hell of a. Story the prosecutor is now. Livid, Meanwhile George manson takes the moment to repeat. HIMSELF i can say That Shaq mazada definitely was not one of the men in me. CAB a few surprised guests sound in the, crowd along with a smattering of laughter and titters of. Amusement the prosecutor tries to fight. It he, says did.
Speaker 2: You not say?
Speaker 5: This AND i drove him with two others to Three Pemberton. Road George manson sneers or, Buffs i'm not sure IF i said that or. Not the prosecutor is quick to follow and did you go on to, SAY i have no doubt whatever in my mind that he is the. Man cab driver says with a sly. Smile now this elicits a few more laughs from the g and the cabby, CONTINUES i did SAY i was very. Doubtful the prosecutor returns To George manson's sign police statement and asks the cab, driver you identified mister O'Brien and signed this statement to that, effect and you made no protest before signing.
Speaker 2: It, yes cab driver, SAYS i practically.
Speaker 5: Did not know WHERE i. WAS i did not know WHAT i was. Signing the gallery erupts into, laugh and the Chief magistrate is also on the edge of, laughter but he bangs his gabble to restore the decora of his, courtroom and this time you also have to stifle the dark. Laugh the prosecutor's case looks to be, doomed and at this point the defense attorney stands to address The Chief magistrate and this line of. Testimony he, says Mister manson's testimony is the only credible, evidence and THUS i do not think it's credible to convict the.
Speaker 2: Defendant your pencil scribbles notes.
Speaker 5: As fast as you, can because you, know now you have gold in your. Hands this is a front page story because this case is. Busted the key witness is lying his ass, off and there's no thing anyone can do about.
Speaker 2: It there you, Go Elizabeth.
Speaker 5: Boom just like, that the trials Against Shawk mazarta And john O'Brien goes off the.
Speaker 4: Rail the threats the taxi driver must have, gone.
Speaker 2: Threats and possibly.
Speaker 5: PAYMENTS i mean he may have had kids who you, know he wanted to go on to better schools and, like oh, Yeah UNI's coming, up you, know so so much for the impeccable memory of A london cab. Driver, YEAH i guess that doesn't overcome the corruption of The british. Underworld so the cab driver's suddenly questionable memory and his general hostility as a witness becomes such a big problem for the prosecution that when the trial, ends the jury deliberates and they come back with an.
Speaker 2: Acquittal for both.
Speaker 5: Men both men walk with, wow plenty of evidence and nail them dead to. Rights and they even have Cecil swan which they for whatever, reason they are not able to pin. Them but you, know once they've raised the specter of, doubt it shrouds everything that's. Crazy, yes and the mystery, Man Old Little. Harry he's never found by the, police so he's never to face, justice so you could say he also. Walks, Sure so basically three of the four guys do. Nothing only one of the highest crew to be thrown into prison Is Old Cecil swanlin aka the man who can't go.
Speaker 2: Straight just his bad.
Speaker 5: Luck now you may be wondering what about the, Golds, erron did the police ever locate the stolen?
Speaker 4: Gold And, Saron i'm glad you asked these sort of.
Speaker 5: THINGS i, know, right BUT i just take it from. YOU i learned it from watching. You it's to Paraphrase Amy. Winehouse, no, no. No BUT i should add that the young Missus Margaret, swanland the twenty one year old newlywed wife of The man who can't go, straight, Right she does get evictim from her lodgings and is forced to move back home with her mom In soho or her mom In.
Speaker 2: Soho and it.
Speaker 5: Was noted though at the, time that she suddenly had a rather sizeable bank account after the trial was.
Speaker 4: Over oh, Interesting so there is.
Speaker 5: That but they couldn't somehow prove that at any the connection to the. Heist and if you're still wondering how these guys pulled off the, job like was this an inside? Job what did they do when they were actually in the, ROOM i CAN i tell you. That two years, later nineteen thirty, Seven Shank mazarta was interviewed again by the. Police he gets asked about the gold, heist and after his court case blew up and since he was, acquitted he confesses to the police that he personally obtained a copy of the keys to the strong room from a man Named Bert Well. Peters, now the reason we have not heard Of Burt Well peters is he wasn't part of the security, protocol but he had a copy of the keys to give him because he was the chief unloader at The Croydon. Aerodrome he's basically like their version of like a team, stir you. Know so for the active, criminals this active criminal, kindness he gets paid a substantial. Amount and so, yes it was an inside. Job oh, Man oh, no it was very much a sort of heist you'd expect from, LIKE i don't, Know Tommy shelby and The Peaky blinders. Exactly in this, case it was his real life Rival sabini and his. Gang and, ultimately Since Shank mazarta was a getaway driver For, sabini he never had to feel that he had to fear the police because the police are basically On sabini's. Payroll, yeah so he's, Like sabini will take care of the, police will take care of.
Speaker 2: Me i'm. Good.
Speaker 5: Good so he got to live on and Uh london in the nineteen, Thirties, yeah my, goodness when the real World Peggy blinders was fully going. Down So, ELIZABETH i got to ask, you what's a?
Speaker 4: Ridiculous, YEAH i am so tickled by how clumsy they. Were, yes that they have wrap sheets or they have criminal, connections AND i, guess like you're, saying this notion of sabinial take, care.
Speaker 2: Untouchable so that's why they didn't.
Speaker 5: Care that's why they're spending money on gold cuff lenks yet taking a cab driver right to The.
Speaker 4: They got away with it though it worked right one. Dude but, yeah.
Speaker 5: That's because LIKE i, THINK i don't know what's up. CESSIBLE i didn't like, him was not. LIKABLE i don't THINK i think the other Two john O'Brien and And Sean mazarda are part of The sabini. GANG i think he brought them THE i, think and therefore he didn't get protected. Exactly he'd just gotten out of, jail SO i think it's like he was trying to get back in the life and the life was like not.
Speaker 4: You so so he's he got bad, luck clumsy and, successful which is, ridiculous right your.
Speaker 5: TAKEAWAY i just love this one because it involves like it's like not quite, rural but like they're driving out Of, london they Go Robin, airfield they take all this bullyon the gold bullion that's worth a, ton and it's headed to the continents like they were supposed to go To, belgium and they're just, like, yeah we heard about, this and they basically pulled like the same stuff that The mafia does In, america like in the, sixties but they're doing it all like just really easy, peasy just like and just taking whatever this dilapidated little car was and they're running into a cyclist in the. Dark it's just all like it's kind of. QUAINT i just was like a total Gold heights but like super like one of your Cozy british, mysteries SO i thought you might enjoy. It they're enjoy.
Speaker 4: It thank you for.
Speaker 2: That so you're for a talk? Back we canna watch this one?
Speaker 4: Down, yes, YES i.
Speaker 2: Am she what she got for us produce a D oh my? God did you just see?
Speaker 6: THAT i Get?
Speaker 7: Darren? Elizabeth how are you? Darling just? Kidding that's on HOW i?
Speaker 4: Sound?
Speaker 7: Listen? Guys, Uh, DARREN i listened To Black. Cowboys in, FACT i think that's HOW i stump about to this wonderful. Show so you just mentioned something in an episode About Black moonshiner's how about, it Bro? Elizabeth she can be the lady host on that. Too, yeah let's make it, happen, GUYS.
Speaker 4: I do like a great.
Speaker 5: Idea, yeah, like, well just we could do like uh In Black Moonshiner's Black.
Speaker 2: Interesting, yeah make it out a hard. Thing we appreciate, it. Honey so thank. You that was.
Speaker 5: Awesome as, always you can find us online At Ridiculous crime On instagram And Blue sky On. Instagram we got lots of pictures for, you so go check that. Out you can see what all this looks. Like if you want to see what The Croydon aerodrome looks. Like boom you'll be able. To and also we have our Website Ridiculous crime dot com and uh you go check that. Out you get pick yourself up. Merch he can represent the brand out the real world if you. Want or you can go and leave it talk back and go to The iHeart app download, it leave it talk back and maybe.
Speaker 2: Get to hear your voice. Here we'd love to hear it, here so do.
Speaker 5: It, also you can email us if you'd like, It Ridiculous crime at gmail dot. Com and if you do emails, us please start the. EMAIL da producer d thank you for listening and we will catch you next. Crime Ridiculous crime is hosted By Elizabeth dutton And Zaron, burnett produced and edited by The. Dude Tommy shelby calls his man in, providence Mister Dave. Couston our ridiculous assistant is the one who is to blame for all my Bad english, Accents Terry. Maldonado fom research is by the one who first put the peak In Peaky, Blinders Marissa. Brown our theme song is by a resident house, Band The Red Right hand Aka Thomas lee And Travis. Dutton the host wardrobe provided By body five. Hundred Producer dave's wardrobe provided By Mister guy Of Beverly, Hills guest hair and makeup By Sparkle shot and The Mister. Andre executive producers are the men who taught the Future king Of england how to fly straight after a Few gin and, Tonics Ben bolin And Noel.
Speaker 6: Brown Gus Crime Say It One More, Time geekus.
Speaker 1: Cry Ridiculous crime is a production Of iHeartRadio four more. Podcasts my Heart, radio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite.
Speaker 4: Shows