Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says?
Speaker 1: So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. I am coming off such a fulfilling day or week. I have to tell you about it before we jump into today's episode. I went to New York for thirty six hours basically for one reason. And those of you who have been listening to the pod know that I went to Glorius Dynam's Brownstone her to sit in her living room at the end of last year, I think it was, and I was kind of nervous because it was my first time there and I just have so much reverence for her. And this week I went back, and I'm so grateful I got to go back because my nerves subsided. I wasn't jittery, I was just present and taking it all in and I got like forty minutes alone with her on the couch just to talk, and you know, I asked a million questions, but she's just such a special person and I left thinking like this is the pinnacle of my career because I can't, like, I just can't believe that all of the like hard work and all the things right led me to Glorious Steinem's couch. I've literally read every word she's at written that I could get my hands on.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't have her journals, but.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know if I've ever like admired a person more. I'm not like a big admirer. I have a lot of reverence and respect and love like complimenting people and recognizing what's special in them, But the word admire feels I don't know. I just I don't say it a lot. And I really deeply admire her. I admire how she's lived. And one of the things that stood out to me I want to share with you. So we were there for a talking circle and the topic was AI. So there were two experts and a few other people in the space, tangentially in the space, and she was like really into it. I think, because you know it, we're all sort of like learning about AI at the same time in a lot of ways. So anyways, we went around the circle. We introduce ourselves and then talked about what AI means to us, how we're using it in our life, the positives, the negatives, et cetera. And everybody talked about how they use it in their life, so mostly chat GPT at this point, right like, the future of AI probably looks more like robotics, but right now we're using chat GPT, which is basically a language tool. Because I don't know if you've ever tried to have chat GPT do math, it's not so good. It's also like mediocre at planning a trip because AI doesn't have taste, right, humans have taste. But it is really good with language because AI is only as good as the data set that you input, and the data sets they have is a lot of words, a lot of language, a lot of writing from the internet. So anyways, we go around the circle. I share how I've been using it, which is I've found for myself the best way is to create on my own, like write on my own and then put my writing through chat GPT to edit it to see if there's anything that I could word better, say better, be more concise with et cetera, and I found it to be really great. So we go around the circle and everybody's explaining how they use it and what they're thinking about, and we were all pretty self focused. It was about how we were using AI and Gloria was the last person to speak, and she said, you know, all I keep thinking about is what this means for people that live in developing countries who don't even have access to it. What does that mean for the division that that causes, for the class divide, the racial divide, all of that. And I just looked at her in awe because that is part of what makes her so special. She always thinks about the least privileged person, not just in the group we're sitting in, but in the world. And it totally changed the conversation. It turned everything into a much more robust, inclusive conversation. And I just wanted to share that because, you know, as much as I try to look outward all the time and I try to think about others first. I don't know if it's age or I don't know, Like we all were talking about ourselves, and then Gloria spoke about what it means for the least privileged person, and it just really shifted my mindset. I really want to try to think like that more so before we jump into today's episode, which is a really fun episode, mostly because our guest today is awesome, but also she happens to be a friend of mine, and so I feel like when I know people before I interview them, it just, you know, like changes the dynamic. But I was looking at the numbers of podcast listens and it's been really interesting to see what you guys are interested in. And I feel like there's been a lot of new people that came to the pod from listening to the Bosomas Saint John episode, which Wow, she was one of my favorites for sure this year, maybe even in the last few years, Like she's just a remarkable person. But if you're new here, there's a few things I want to share. One, I zoom with a listener every single week, so all you have to do is write a review or send a screenshot of you sending the episode to two friends. Any episode to two friends, and you're entered in the lottery for the week, and you can enter as many times as you want. It is the highlight of my week for sure. But yeah, if anybody out there wants to chat or your friends want to chat, that's always available. So I was looking at the most popular episodes this year in case you need to go back and listen to a few, and it was interesting.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty five My New.
Speaker 1: Year's episode about five life changing moves to get ahead for the year, is our second highest rated episode, and the highest rated episode of the year was the first one in January. Actually, it was with doctor Ellen Langer, who is Harvard's Mother of Mindfulness, and it's about reversing aging and rethinking health.
Speaker 2: That one is such a must listen.
Speaker 1: If you need to go back and haven't listened to that one, please do. Not only is she a great storyteller, but it's one of those episodes that will literally change your mindset, particularly about illness, mindfulness, the way you approach friendship. It's pretty unbelievable. Okay, let's get into today's episode. There's a video I saw in twenty nineteen that rewired my brain and I'm not exaggerating.
Speaker 2: Jamila Jamil posted this, I.
Speaker 3: See tremendous value and honor in trying stuff and I don't believe in. I think trying is winning, and this is something that I talk about a lot, and I really genuinely believe it, and I've proven that by how many ridiculous things I've put myself up for that would result in global humiliation, even just my Twitter every day.
Speaker 2: What am I doing? What am I saying?
Speaker 3: But it's because I'm willing to put myself out there, and because of that, via my periphery, the most incredible opportunities have come up, and women in particular are told not even to try. We are dictated to us to what our lanes are from as soon as we can understand. And that's so toxic because there are so many things that you are all capable of that you have no idea about because you've never even been encouraged to try, because you've been fearmongered around failure.
Speaker 2: Failure does not exist.
Speaker 3: The only thing that I think failure exists in is not ever trying. That's the biggest failure that you can commit.
Speaker 1: And in the caption of that video, she wrote, trying is winning. You're a hero for taking a chance on yourself for whatever happens, and most people will be forever haunted by the words, what if don't be that person? Please just go for whatever it is that you love. If you have the slightest opportunity to rejection still means you are a legend for risking your pride, being hurt to put yourself out there. That takes so much character. I've failed a million times that I consider those as noble as my few big wins. Do not apologize for being ambitious and thinking outside the box that you have been forced into by the people around you. You know, I just mentioned that I zoom with one listener a week right. People ask me about creative endeavors, about their businesses, about public speaking, about career transitions. Sometimes we talk about things that I am not an expert in. And you know what, I realized, people are asking for permission most of them time, permission to begin, permission to be seen, permission to risk, permission to want more than they've been told they're allowed to want, Permission to just freaking go for it, to go for whatever it is they want. And that idea that trying is winning is at the center of today's episode. Sarah Haynes is warm and sharp and so funny. She can disarm a room in seconds. You may know her as one of the co hosts of the View, but today we get to go behind the camera, ready polish, and into the story that you don't often hear, the story of someone who's tried again and again, often without certainty, often without applause, and always with a whole lot of heart.
Speaker 2: Sarah opens up about.
Speaker 1: What it took to become the woman that we see on screen, from her childhood dreams of SNL to one of her lowest moments where she narrowly walked away from TV altogether. It was pretty shocked to hear about it. It's something she doesn't talk about that often, and to hear her honest reflections on that time as well as some of the invisibility that she felt when she became a mom, it was pretty cool to hear someone speak that candidly. I also love when she talks about her big ambition, and woven through all of it is this her philosophy on trying.
Speaker 4: I don't want to sit here and tell my daughter I once thought I would do something.
Speaker 2: The fear was never having tried.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a Chicago girl, So I love hearing her talk about her Midwestern upbringing and how she got her first job as an NBC page. There's so much determination that she had that I feel in her to this day, and yet she talks about being told that she didn't have it. Can you imagine that She talks about watching others rise while she felt stuck, about the pivots that almost broke her, and the quiet, radical decisions that brought her back. And you know, I'm obsessed with daytime television, Okay, especially the view. So we also peeled back the curtain on what it really means to sit at that iconic table and what happens when your inner critics shows up uninvited.
Speaker 4: There are days I still walk away from that table. The inner voice says, that was dumb. You didn't offer anything.
Speaker 1: We chatted about dating, what it means to find love later on in your life, on your own timeline. Sarah met her now husband at thirty four, she got married at thirty seven, and had kids in her late thirties, And as somebody navigating that chapter myself, it felt both comforting and expansive to hear her say this.
Speaker 4: I never lost sight of what I wanted and never would I have categorized myself as someone who's a professional woman choosing her job.
Speaker 1: She also got pretty real about how becoming a mom didn't just change her, it changed how people saw her.
Speaker 4: From the moment you say you're pregnant, you don't realize how quickly you fade.
Speaker 1: And underneath Sarah's story is this question of trying that echoes again and again, not just does a motivational phrase, but as a way of living, because I don't think trying is just about effort.
Speaker 2: It's about identity.
Speaker 1: It's about who you become when you risk failure, when you listen to that inner voice over all the noise, and when you keep showing up, especially when no one is clapping.
Speaker 2: Sarah's story is full.
Speaker 1: Of answers, like she gives really good advice, but I think even more importantly, it's full of proof that trying is winning. Trying is the point. So the question I think we're really circling today is what does it mean to try? It's time to question everything with Sarah Haines. It was hard for me to figure out where to start, but I always try and think of like a theme for the episode, And as I got deeper into your story, I realize for me looking in it was hitting a wall and then running, either jamming a Sarah Haynes size hole through the wall or finding a way to climb over, Like every single time you were hit with something, you find a way forward. I read that you attribute that resilience to your parents. They never signed a form, came.
Speaker 2: To a game.
Speaker 4: Well, they loved coming to my sports, but like they with four kids, I don't feel it they never took the lead. There's this whole generation of parents where people will call or my kids doing this, and they were great parents in the nineties standards, you know, But looking back, I'm like, they never don't forget to take that, don't do you know it was?
Speaker 2: You're going to be left out if you don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Then you look back now that you're a parent, are you ever like, why didn't my parents step in anymore?
Speaker 2: No? I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it because I just read a quote the other day that said, it won't be what we teach our kids to do, it will be what we empower them to do for themselves that will lea the greatest mark. That's not exactly how it was, but that's the sentiment, and I thought, yes, yes, that's the point. You can't always be there for them. I want them to be resilient. I want them to handle everything coming at them and know that I'll be there as long as I can for whatever they need.
Speaker 2: But I need them to be okay. And that's what I want for them.
Speaker 1: You said it so beautifully. My mother says starve them out. She always says, I need to starve you out, like I trapped my whole life. I tried to not give you things so that you could give yourself things.
Speaker 2: And it's actually harder than I thought.
Speaker 4: Coming my oldest sister had kids young, and she was my oldest sister, so I grew up judging way out of like I was way out of my lane, judging my sister at times with my nephew and niece, who are great, but I was constantly like, why would.
Speaker 2: You do this? Why would you do that?
Speaker 4: And I realized, and my beliefs in what the vision is have actually remained pretty sturdy. The execution is much harder than I thought. So it is much easier at times out of pure exhaustion or just the glee of seeing your kids joyful in a moment. That means that starving out means you have to really comprehend delayed gratification and love them more than a moment, and that's I do my best and Max is on the same page.
Speaker 2: But it's hard. It's really hard.
Speaker 1: Because you want to make their lives easier.
Speaker 2: I just want to watch them laugh.
Speaker 4: I want to watch them laugh and I want to know that in that moment, with how hard parenting is, those little moments, you can really solve those things. Yeah, but if I do, what will prepare them for the next challenge in the bigger hurdle.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of starving them out. I like your mom. I hate that. I will get so mad I tell you for starving her out. That's why she's sitting here right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So high achiever Sarah. You went to Smith College and you studied government. Why government?
Speaker 4: So my mom said, pick a major based on what you want to study.
Speaker 2: It's a liberal arts education.
Speaker 4: You're going to spend the majority of your time in those classes and reading that topic.
Speaker 2: What interests you.
Speaker 4: I had always loved social studies in history, and so to see all the classes from comparative government to political theory, I mean, oh my god, philosophers, I was like, ooh, this is my homework. So that ended up being kind of the topic. When I looked through the catalog that I was like, this is kind of an easy decision.
Speaker 1: It's wild to me that none of the sort of points in your life could have added up until they were in hindsight, like now being on the view that that degree in government is so valuable and useful and probably taught you how to think and how to perceive issues. But like at the time, you hadn't even thought of broadcasts.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, In fact, broadcast, my sister had wanted to be in broadcast, so she was a communications major, had all the internships, and then a really sad story of a missing TV anchor who she never was found, Like that day my sister pivoted to behind the scenes production, but she actually was on the local station, you know, her college station and stuff, So broadcast I thought, definitely not that, Like I'm not a newsperson like I was all I was a little more nerdy in my pursuits, like I wanted nerdier things that got me more excited.
Speaker 2: But I did love to make people laugh.
Speaker 4: So the personality of a third child in a big family was probably more pivotal than my studies.
Speaker 1: Well speaking, of laughing, you have a dirty little secret. You wanted to be on SNL.
Speaker 4: I still want to be on SNL. I still am putting this out. My dream was Saturday Night Live?
Speaker 2: Have they ever spoofed you? They did? They did. That's kind of amazing.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, Hota Kappy and Kathy Lee Gifford. Because there was a time and Zach Gallifanakis was on the episode and I heard that in the because I knew so many people in thirty Rock the building, so many people said, you're lucky they made that choice for the live because they had a crazier version of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think.
Speaker 4: They probably went for the laugh by not making us all crazy, so I got to be not totally insane, but like it was when I was reading side comments and there's a point where it's Abby Elliott and she's like, watching you too, Like I'm reading a fan comment, Watching you too is like watching two chickens fight over something. It was like the dumbest thing. And my nephew, who's now twenty six, called me. He's like, did you know they played you on Saturday Night Live? And it was like he had not seen one thing I'd done before and I haven't done that again since. So that was my pinnacle moment and honestly for me too, I was like, this sketch comedy was what I wanted.
Speaker 1: Because you wanted to be an actor.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be.
Speaker 4: In comedic acting, so I wanted to do not stand up. Some people are like, oh, you wanted to be a comic.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh wah, that makes my stomach, like that makes me nervous thinking about not that.
Speaker 4: I wanted to play over the top characters and be ridiculous, and I think in SNL sketches, So sometimes when i'm there's a moment the most awkward thing goes through my head and my husband's always like, are you doing it right now?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm doing it. I'm writing the sketch, Like it's just stupid stuff. Are you doing the thing? I'm doing the thing.
Speaker 4: And that's how I experienced the world, so I always, you know, I thought what a trip that would be. And SNL was really the main show we all grew up on where that was like, oh my gosh, that's a job.
Speaker 2: Those people are paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have to really love comedy and improv to feel that way. Because I look at SNL and I'm like, I'm running the other way. That looks so scary. It's really brave.
Speaker 2: It's brave, it's over the top, and it's I mean.
Speaker 4: Now, I've also watched those behind the scenes of how much writing and leading up to it what they do, so I eat in a way you're seeing Iceberg product. Yeah, but oh my god, like it's still everything. Comedians are some of my favorite people I get a meet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned knowing so many people in thirty rocks. Yeah, I want to rewind a little bit and share your story to thirty because it's kind of unbelievable. You're in New York, you're pursuing acting, you're going on auditions. Yeah, and you see this guy on the train you run the same route yep, and he has an NBC backpack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you decide to go up to him.
Speaker 4: Well, so at that time, I'd come to New York to do all that, but I hadn't even I had to find a job to pay rent because I had no help. So I was like, I'd saved money up from like being a nanny and waiting tables. So I wanted to get into the page program, because the page program I thought would teach me everything I didn't learn in school, you know, because I want to be in this world, but I don't know anything but what I watch on TV.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I stopped a guy on a train.
Speaker 4: His name was Gary Quinn, and that was a time where they'd pass your resume along.
Speaker 2: And I still am in touch.
Speaker 4: With Gary Quinn, like I because I am fiercely loyal and he always jokes. He's like, you can stop thanking me at this point. You barged through that door and been there ever since. And I'm like, but I believe that it often takes one person, one moment, and so but he passed it along, and I knew I could sell my work ethic and my enthusiasm. So once I got the interview, I thought, now if I don't get it, it's on me. But I just had to get someone I knew, no one. Yeah, And once I was in the program at the time, I learned so many people had an inn and it didn't have to be a big in It could be I have an aunt who's works on the crew, or you had to know someone otherwise. It was just thousands of resumes that were faceless people.
Speaker 1: And when you do, you remember what you said when you went up to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I don't want to scare it. I'm from Iowa. Because in my mind, I look back and I'm like, why did my mom prep me for New York City living? The woman had never left Kansas, but she had me so prepared that, like, I wouldn't want to approach a man as a twenty three year old with a suit during commuting hours because I might scare them.
Speaker 1: You would scare them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She was like in New York.
Speaker 4: Like you don't want to wear your jewelry. I was like, what jewelry? I'm twenty one. I have no jewelry. Like my Clare's boutique is not going to lure anyone in, like I was. So I looked back and I'm like, I'm so mortified.
Speaker 1: It's my mom said the same thing to me in La. It's such a Midwest thing.
Speaker 2: It is, right. I was like, I have no jewelry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are from Zara, Yes, And.
Speaker 2: I was like, what do you want me to take off? Like?
Speaker 4: You know, so the culture shot and that's what's underestimated when you moved to a big place. It's not just like you hit the ground running. I didn't know the first thing about how to get a head shot. I knew I needed one, but I was like, those costs a lot of money. Like, so my first headshot was an assistant photographer at Saturday Night Live because through a friend of a friend in the program, and they said, if you call this person, it's for their portfolio. So it was like two hundred dollars and I thought, oh, I think I can say you know, I got that. So every learning curve set me way back. I wasn't even to the place where I was considered in the business.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't know what the heck the business was.
Speaker 1: So you get this internship right, and you're a page and you're actually paid.
Speaker 2: It's like right out of.
Speaker 1: College, and is this the page program? Yes, okay, and you were obsessed with being a page.
Speaker 4: I loved being a page when I got a job, which is the whole point. I did a plus's and minus column about why I should not take this program because I had two full months left in the program.
Speaker 1: Oh, because when you talk I heard another interview that you talked about the page program, and other people are like yeah, it was like an internship.
Speaker 2: And then I moved on.
Speaker 1: You were like, I love being a page.
Speaker 2: Every tour was a stage for me. Yes, I had the most fun. Most pages hated their tours. But you're going with a friend.
Speaker 4: So if we're in the page program, Daniel, you've come in for your schedule and that day you and I are partners, so all five of our tours will be together. We had the most fun. These are all people that are like minded. Yeah, they're writers, their comedians there, some of them are into marketing sales. You get a play all day with a friend, and every tour it's a new life audience. I had the best time. We also would this is probably not things we should admit, but we play like.
Speaker 2: Word games where.
Speaker 4: You'd say, like I remember doing the tour in rose O'Donnell's studio in my page friend who most of us are still friends.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was.
Speaker 4: Like halatosis and I was like, how the hell am I going to plant halatosis in a tour?
Speaker 2: And we talked about how prizes drop down.
Speaker 4: I say, you don't know, you know, like maybe you'd get mouth washed for your halotosis, and the guy said, yeah, you would make up anything. Then we'd give each other a word you couldn't say a word that starts with an S, and we're like, that's not fair. We're in studios, you know, like you can't. But then if you did it, your partner would raise their hand in the back and you'd have to find a way to give your tour while literally going like this. So we're here in the set, right over here, and you'd have to turn every time you did it. So we were also a little area like it.
Speaker 1: Was so fun, so fun. You have great memories from that time, the.
Speaker 4: Best memories and hard because that was also nine to eleven and then Anthrax the next month.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So there was a lot of history playing out. But the job itself was just it was amazing.
Speaker 1: And did you get hired by NBC right after the Page program?
Speaker 4: Yes, So that the debate was I got offered a job in operations, so you know, as a creative person, I knew the majority of things I could learn from more and more producing writing things.
Speaker 2: This was going to be all logistics, but it bought.
Speaker 4: Me a year in the building because you know, you're all freelance, so I thought, but I'd get a year in the building.
Speaker 2: That's a plus.
Speaker 4: That was my columns, today's show operations versus my assignment, which is not even a job. On last call with Carson Daily Go and I had like a whole list of what it would mean to stay or go, but I.
Speaker 2: Took the job. It's interesting, So you mentioned creative.
Speaker 1: I could not believe that you said you don't consider yourself a creative person.
Speaker 4: I'm really logistically oriented as a virgo, as a type a person.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I feel creative when I'm going for a joke, like when I'm saying, you know, what would be funny if like when we do little things on Instagram or something. I love being creative in those spaces. But I feel I've always colored within the lines. I've always, you know, kind of spent my life on programming or deprogramming so many things that are kind of boxed in.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting that you see yourself that way, because I'm like, you have lived such a creative life.
Speaker 4: That makes me feel so good because it's sometimes that you don't see what other people see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you got married at thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think creative. That's creative.
Speaker 4: And also one hundred percent a choice I made to wait until I was thirty seven.
Speaker 2: But that's a creative life.
Speaker 1: But that's not yet, You're right, And then I think you had to get really creative to get to all of these different positions like we're going to go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think all of this took so much creativity.
Speaker 4: You know what, though, it only looks creative when you look back. It's kind of like the picture you're life life draws when you look back at it. Because my mom would tell people how determined I was, and I stopped and I said, Mom, you're giving me false credit. It wasn't just determined. It was a deep fear of regret. So it was more of a negative drive, not a positive drive. It wasn't like she has such a great attitude, she'll figure it out. It only looks that way when it works out and you tell the story.
Speaker 2: But how do you know what regret is?
Speaker 4: At twenty well, twenty, all I kept thinking about is when you channel when I'm hopefully with a partner, when I have kids, when i'm my parents' age, Am I going to look back and say I never tried? Because my mom when like a lot of pivotal decisions I made. My mom said, you know, one time, and I'd never heard this story. After college, I was going to at this point now I have my government major, but I'm thinking maybe I'm going to do teaching.
Speaker 2: That's my safer also a dream. I'm going to teach.
Speaker 4: So I had applied to grad school at my undergrad so I'd gotten into the Smith program. My mom tells me a story the week of graduation. These moments are the big like road maps, you know. She said, I once wanted to go to New York and be an actor. And I thought, what, Like, she is a nurse, she's a person of science. She's I'd never heard that, and in that moment, I thought, well, there we go. I gotta go because I don't want to sit here and tell my daughter I once thought I would do something.
Speaker 1: Wow, So she's it's her fault. That's interesting that such like it was probably an aside comment.
Speaker 4: For you, And it was quick. I remember I was standing in my dorm room. Essentially it's our houses on Smith. Finals were done, graduation was in a few days. I was like telling everyone the kitchen. Could you live in a house so you get really close with like your kitchen staff, and they'd always saved me boxes of cereal on the side. I went down and like, you, guys, I hope you're not sick of me because I'm coming back next year. And they were all excited and then that and I thought, well, no, gray area, I've done.
Speaker 2: We're going.
Speaker 1: There's in one of Gloria Steinem's books, like the the dedication talks about how she's living out the dreams that died with her mother, and it's like, how we anytime anything good happens in my life, I think about the generations of women that have sacrificed that didn't get to.
Speaker 2: Live those out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm thinking about that with you.
Speaker 2: How does she feel about what you're doing.
Speaker 4: So it's funny because she, in addition to being pivotal in a lot of crucial ways for me, picking to go to school in the Northeast. Oh, Sarah, if I had been able to go to college and had the grades, I would go in the Northeast. That's a heart of education. That's the only place I looked every decision.
Speaker 2: My mom did.
Speaker 4: But she also was the person that could have been a blockade. When I got into the page program. She said, you can't survive in New York on ten dollars an hour, and I was like, I guess we'll see and I did. And then she also said when I got offered a job for that Today Show job, where I thought, part of my fear is I'm going to get stuck there because I knew I'd do a good job for me staff. That's benefits that my mom asked me every time, will this job pay benefits? I didn't want to tell her till i'd made it the decision inside myself, because if I heard my mom and dad endorse that it would have been harder.
Speaker 2: I ended up taking it.
Speaker 4: I got stuck for about five years. But it's also when that transition happened to being on air. Every decision along the way, my mom was the yes and the no.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make this about me. No, But I've never heard anybody talk about this. I had a very similar experience, and I found it incredibly confusing. It is, how did you learn to listen to your own voice over your mother?
Speaker 2: She needed to be volume up.
Speaker 4: And I've taken a lot of time therapy things to kind of realize how squished that little girl was, yeah, and how much I reveled in making my parents proud doing the things like when I was moving to New York, which I made that decision that day, that one day in my dorm room before graduating, and I went home. I hustled for money on the side, and I remember the day I told my dad, like, I'm definitely going to be moving to New York City with my niece on and like the few things, I have to live on my brother's couch. My dad didn't even look up, I remember, and he was slicing a tomato for a salad and he's like, I didn't send you to Smith College to be an actress. And it hit me, but I actually am grateful. I wouldn't want him to light to he that's how he felt. And so it hit me like a punch in the chest because I was the play it's safe. Look at my grades, look at my athletics, look at how much I will work at things like aren't you proud?
Speaker 2: Aren't you proud? Like record scratch, there she goes.
Speaker 4: And that was the first time I broke with things my parents would be really proud of. I mean, it's a little embarrassing. My older sister went into media communications successful. My next sister went into finance successful. My brother went into real estate and sales successful. Oh, Sarah, she's a production coordinator in New York City. Like I stayed a production coordinator that's an entry level job for years because as they offered me promotions, I didn't feel I could keep the dream a lot and like this handtakes and this handtakes, and that was like an unspoken agreement. So my boss would say, I know your answer, but we need to offer it to you. Would you like to become a production manager? I said, nope, I'm sticking with the.
Speaker 1: Plan because the other hand was acting.
Speaker 4: The other hand was my boss, and I had said, he goes. I know after they decided to keep me, because I didn't even want them to know what my dream was, because I wanted them to take me seriously. And you know this, it's the name of your pretty smart people judge people that want to do certain things. It's always like she wants to be on air, as if in being on air is only one version.
Speaker 2: I mean, Diane Sawyer's on air, so is Amy Poehler.
Speaker 4: Like there's versions, but I didn't want people saying, oh, she's one of the people that wants to be on air, so I never told them. When I accepted the job, I said, I'm going to be straight with you and this is what I want to do. And he said, Deil, you tell me whenever you have something you need to go for and.
Speaker 2: I'll let you, but don't lie. No, doctor's a point, I said. Deal.
Speaker 4: He never said that deal would be expired if I took the promotions, but I felt that was my insights felt wrong for that. I'm not going to climb up and keep getting opportunities if we have a deal here, and so I just stayed. But it was so hard as a type a overachiever to have my friends who never met shade.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're still at the Today Show. You're still there.
Speaker 4: They all climbed by the time I went on air. My friend who paged next to me was the publicist for the show. She had climbed from page program to publicists.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: She makes the phone call to me and we cried, we're still friends this day. But all my friends were climbing the ranks live in their dreams.
Speaker 2: What a phone call did she make? She needed the.
Speaker 4: Phone call to tell me that they wanted to make an announcement on air because I had grown up at the show. Because normally I'm a random correspondent. It's a one year deal. No one's doing it. But I had been there for years and they wanted one of their own to get that. And she cried when she told me so, And in that moment, I thought all of them, all these birds had flown from the nest. They never meant it, but every time, oh my god, you're still at the Today Show. Yeah, I'm still at the Today Show.
Speaker 2: How old were you? I would have been thirty thirty two.
Speaker 1: And what was your personal life like at the time? Are you seeing feeling.
Speaker 4: Really unhealthy relationship that I had been obsessed with this guy for years, always like we're going to be serious, We're not, you know, And he was in the building and we were on getting to that point where I had to listen to that voice even when I didn't like the answer. So she was getting louder and she was like, girl, you know too much to stay.
Speaker 2: And I know her so well. Yep.
Speaker 1: That must have been I don't want to project, but that must have been really challenging to feel like your personal life wasn't quote unquote moving forward. Your professional life was a bit stagnant.
Speaker 2: What made you stay? Each time?
Speaker 4: I'd like stay, And I mean there were some dark tunnels i'd go down of, like the fear was never having tried. So I'd go down to get coffee with my friends, climbing the ranks, my page friends, they all have two promotions. They're up and I'm sitting there and I'm like, I'm not doing it. I'm not going after it. I'm not hustling. I worked twelve hours a day. If in three months I write into one or get one audition, the pace at this dream is a never And I'm going to be forty and I'm going to be pretending I'm a character at a kid's birthday?
Speaker 2: Like was it enough?
Speaker 4: Was it worth it? When I had so much other love and passion in my heart?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I remember stopping and every time thinking but did I really try? I've got Now I'm going to sprint because then I can quit and say I tried? But have I really tried yet? And that kept like driving me.
Speaker 2: You wanted to be a person who tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you're there as a PA yep, and how do you move up? You're pitching your boss's digital content, right, this is when Facebook exists.
Speaker 4: Well no, so I wasn't even pitching my bosses. Digital blows up and they need content. And I thought, if I'm sending reels out to try to now go on air, think if it says Today's show dot com on it like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't pay me for it. They don't know who cares. They put me on.
Speaker 4: They were desperate, No one needed to know. And I would just pitch segments and I was doing all kinds of fun. That's when I felt creative because it was like confession booth where you're asking things that like I remember asking like Jamie Fox. I think it was like who was your first kiss and you remember it and like innocent.
Speaker 2: Just cute things that are perfect for digital.
Speaker 4: They're not going to ask that in a mount Blower interview or a Katie Kirk or Meredith Fiera.
Speaker 2: But Sarah can ask. So we just it was so simple, and I was creating a real, full, full stop just for myself.
Speaker 4: This is where you go in the end of your careers, Like this is the goal. I am not that dumb like I or as brave as some people make me sound. I wasn't looking yet the two show. I wasn't in news. I wasn't but I was ready to be paid full time, not to be ordering the cars because I would sit on the couch with like Maria Minuno's and be like, while you're here, what time do you want your car tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Because like I was, just the lives were converging.
Speaker 4: I was ordering cars and catering and VIP lists and making an appearance and ordering the cars and the people around me.
Speaker 2: So that's hard.
Speaker 4: Yet well it was hard because I thought eventually, like I got my shot.
Speaker 2: Don't overstay.
Speaker 4: You're working for free, Like take what you need, but go live it. Don't be so swooned by how long it took you or what you you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to leave, and did you think about leaving?
Speaker 4: I was fully leaving. I had gotten to the third round of an interview for Teach for America. Oh my god, Well I was on the show every day and my mom's like, well, why would you leave? They put you on every day? I said, because Mom, they put me on every day and do not pay me. I want to go do a dream that wait.
Speaker 1: Are you to have talking about on the show with Hoda and Kathy Lee because we skipped a step.
Speaker 2: You have to talk about the Yeah, before we go there.
Speaker 1: You're in the hallway and you're doing behind the scenes interviews for Today dot Com.
Speaker 4: Like when we couldn't get all the main guests, we always had our anchors. Our anchors would always play okay, so when you want to know about the first kiss, I'd drag Kathy Lee, Hoda, mat anyone that would come down. I'm like, oh, please come down and tell you. It's like whatever you know, and they'd come down.
Speaker 5: And so I didn't realize that, Yeah, so we could dangle the talent because even if I can't get the celebrity, which sometimes they walk in their people nix it before they even ask.
Speaker 4: But if we need some star power, we have built in stars. So Natalie Natalie always humored us. She would do it and they'd all come. They're like for me because they hear about me. They're like, I'll do it for you, Sarah. And that made the content and so they were coming in and out. It was one of the times KATHYI and Hoa were leaving. They're like, why is she not on our hour? She's so fun? And I thought what am I going to do interview on? You know, like I do what you do. I'm not a health expert. I'm not a chef, I'm not an author.
Speaker 2: I just chat. I chat. You want to just chat, you can shoot the shit all you want, but like, I do what you do.
Speaker 4: And so I remember they said it once and I thought, what a phenomenal thing, But that was just it was a compliment that they said it. By the third time, Hoda said why is she not coming on? It was like, oh my god, channel something.
Speaker 2: What do I pitch? And they said, do young people things?
Speaker 4: And I'm thinking, I'm not even young, Like in the scheme of things that's for me, I'm not even young compared to you guys, Like what can I do? When I thought of things my mom couldn't do, and it was like a digital photocard, like how do.
Speaker 2: What you can do with all your photos? Save them?
Speaker 4: How to back them up? And I thought, to young people, they're gonna be like, she ain't young. But I was like to my mom and a lot of the people, I had a skip in my step. Once I started doing my passion project, I ordered catering with a vengeance. I was like, yes, with my hair back.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 4: I felt so good just doing my job. That gave me access to this dream.
Speaker 1: And then crush And if you're on Hoda and Kathy Lee, do you start having sort of like starry eyes about broadcasts at this point.
Speaker 4: Still not about broadcast hosting, because now this fourth hour was a total change in the TV landscape. You now had Hoda who had been dateline Hoda, as Kathy Lee called her, but now they were drinking wine and they could get comedy.
Speaker 2: They could throw on things like that. Now now you're talking the first three hours.
Speaker 4: Fine, I can deliver the lines, but this one I can get my hands like, this is going to be fun.
Speaker 2: You can have fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then I started to you.
Speaker 1: Know, so many people in gen Z talk about healthy boundaries with work, and I'm so curious your take on this, because I'm not sure that you get to be Sarah Haynes on the View with healthy boundaries at work.
Speaker 4: There was definitely no balance or boundaries. And I say it straight in the sense that I did not have a personal life, but I was so fueled. I had down days. I felt lonely. I watched all my friends get married in the mid twenties. I didn't even get married by the mid thirties. We were you know, so I was watching. I never lost sight of what I wanted, and never would I have categorized myself as someone who's a professional woman choosing her job. It wasn't a conscious deliberate It was incidental in a way that that was happening.
Speaker 2: But I was so fired.
Speaker 4: And that doesn't mean I didn't spend a lot of night stuffing my face, miserable, going through breakups, bad dates, all the things.
Speaker 2: But nothing stopped me.
Speaker 4: And that's when you also then trigger and you treat that part like a job because there was a button that flipped.
Speaker 2: I think I'm almost there.
Speaker 4: Yep, where you stop and you say, I know I can do all these things.
Speaker 2: I love these things.
Speaker 4: My life doesn't look like the things I still want, and those are the north star for me. That family. I want a partner. I didn't even know if kids would be in my cards. I didn't I was older starting, but I said, I need a best friend. Best friend because every time I hit one of these poop storms, which is like lost grief. I can't do this by myself.
Speaker 2: It's not fun.
Speaker 1: You love fun, it's not fun by yourself, it's not fun.
Speaker 2: I need someone to laugh at my jokes, and I.
Speaker 4: Might pick poorly because Max only laughs like every fifteenth joke, and he's like, hm, that's funny.
Speaker 2: This is so funny. Why why did I pick out all Russian?
Speaker 1: Like? Do you think you were funny when you first met?
Speaker 4: No, he always says you're silly, and I'm like, well, I am silly, but and thank you because he once said in a Sexy Time moment, He's like, you are really hot, and then you turn into an SNL character. He said, excuse me, what can you say that again? Did you just say a Saturday Night Love character?
Speaker 2: He doesn't turned on more for me. It's turning him off and turning me so on. That's unbelievable. You were saying that that is so funny. I'm going through my twenty cards.
Speaker 1: So okay, you get Tahoda and Kathy Lee. You have an amazing experience. But then the executives at NBC say something to you that I wouldn't even call this a wall.
Speaker 2: This is like debilitating to me. It's a roof. It's a roof. Yeah, what did they say? So? I had approached them.
Speaker 4: It was the end of a contract and I had approached them about more of the hosting roles because I loved being in the field. But again at the expense of never having tried, I wanted a shot in the hosting chairs and I had been put in the third hour hosting. Jeff Zucker, who I was a big fan of, had put me in a few times. He said I'll let you swing, and he was known for taking chances. But he left the company and then I was no longer asked, and I asked the same people that knew me for years and were being honest like my dad with the tomato, They said, we don't see you doing that. It was one pivotal person was the head of the fourth Hour, and she was like, love you. I love you, and I again appreciated her honesty, I don't see you doing that. And again the easiest and hardest decision I had ever made. ABC had already been approaching me about we want to do bigger things with you. And even though I didn't know if they would bench me like I didn't know if they'd bring me over and nothing would happen, I was absolutely told what would happen at NBC and it was we will love you, we will keep you, you will keep doing this, and you're awesome, and this is it and hearing it was the end of the road when I had so many things I needed to prove to myself.
Speaker 2: Still, I had dreams of being on the View. I had dreams of.
Speaker 4: Being on a talk show like at the time it would have been Kelly and Michael. Yeah, all these things, this is it. I'm not done yet, and maybe I am. Maybe I do it and I fail, but I tried. I needed my shot. I could not stop by choice, and so I.
Speaker 2: Had to go. Were you sad when you left? I was a mess for a good year.
Speaker 4: In fact, I just ran into someone that jumped companies and she was saying she was struggling, and I said, girl like I cried for a year.
Speaker 2: I was in it.
Speaker 4: I was absolutely depression. Why because the transition from I had won, I still would do it again. In the heart of those tiers, I even Max and I would discuss this. I never regretted the decision to leave, But what I didn't couldn't have gotten through smoothly, was the things that make your day are the people around you. Every friend, I had I worked side by side with I loved the respect I got having run around the hallways of people that I'd watched their kids. I'd watched them go from single to married to babies. I had grown up at this building. And Jeff Zucker said again in a meeting before he left, I sat down with him and we weren't super close. He wasn't at the Today Show when I came, but he looked at me and he said, sometimes you have to leave home to grow up. And that sat really hard. So as I'm leaving home, knowing I had to leave home, I was in a dark hallway. I wasn't on a staff, I didn't know anyone, I didn't know where the bathroom was. For three months, like the building was old, I thought, what have I done? And yet that same voice was like, Nope, you couldn't have done it any other way.
Speaker 2: But how this sucks?
Speaker 4: And so I would count the months with Max because I said, when can I quit where it's not embarrassing that I insult them? And he's like six months minimum. We celebrated at six months and then he goes to you, I think you have another six months in you and I was like, well, year would probably be better, right, We celebrated at a year, Max laughed, He goes, we celebrated your six month anniversary every chunk of that first contract, thinking I was going to leave.
Speaker 2: When did it get better?
Speaker 4: Probably only when the View had asked me to come, I went once. I'm so glad I nailed that. But I was going to leave at the end of my contract. It was a three year contract, because I was going to be offered more of the same correspondent. But what I didn't know was the View had already approached Because it's the network saying we want her, we want her at the show.
Speaker 2: They already had asked for me.
Speaker 4: But I was being presented with they're probably going to sign you again for two or three years, and I thought visiting wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: I already proved I can do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get that the chairs aren't always open, but I'm not going to do more of this now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go teach.
Speaker 4: Now I'm going to go do And they said, what if they were offering you a View contract, because that's also on the table, And I said, that changes everything.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: That really was a pivotal moment when it went from a very dark time too, after every dark time and Valley there's light. Yeah, but it was a long one and I came out the other side.
Speaker 1: When I went to college, I didn't want to join a sorority, and my mom was like, you got to join a sorority because it makes a big school.
Speaker 2: I was at Wisconsin, it was huge.
Speaker 1: I was going to say it makes a big school smaller and she was like yeah. She was like, you don't have to stay in it, but just try it. You got to make your life smaller and connect with people. And sophomore year, I moved into the house and I was like, I hate living with this many people.
Speaker 2: Like I'm a loner.
Speaker 1: You know I'm a loner, yeah, because I think when you're an extrovert, you're actually sometimes secretly an introvert.
Speaker 2: You're it's one in the other you're introvert at home extrovert.
Speaker 1: Yep. So I called her one day and I was like, I hate living in this sorority house. I I gained fifteen pounds. I was miserable. And she was like, here's the thing about sororities. There's a lot of weird people because you didn't choose them yet. But eventually they become your weirdos. Oh and by the end of the year. She was right, it's like a cruise ship, like and then you get on You're like, who are all these weird people?
Speaker 2: By the end and then you're like jamming at go with them? Yes, And that's how I'm imagining. I'm sorry for the aside, but that's how I'm imagining.
Speaker 1: I love the experience at ABC. It was like so tough at the beginning because they weren't your weirdos Nope.
Speaker 2: But all of a sudden they become you are weird.
Speaker 4: But they were all my weirdos, and I didn't feel like an imposture on the view. So my whole time in news, when I came over at Today's show, I did a job that made sense.
Speaker 2: I could perform.
Speaker 4: I was a psych it was self created, it matched me. I got recruited over and with all these opportunities comes You're now going to be working on morning news shows as a correspondent. Wow, And I thought, I feel so bad standing next to real journalists and pretending I'm just like them. I can't do this, Like if I'm nothing, I'm authentic. And that was also eating away at me. So getting the opportunity at the view, I thought, I'm not faking this, like, I'm not pretending to hang here.
Speaker 2: This is what I love doing.
Speaker 1: So you got like over the imposter syndrome because you felt like it was aligned.
Speaker 4: Yet, well it got I don't think you ever get over it, because there are days I still walk away from that table and I'm like, the inner voice says, that was dumb. You didn't offer anything, you know, And that's those moments where you're like, I don't think you.
Speaker 2: I don't think you truly ever get over that.
Speaker 4: I've never met a recovered imposter syndrome person. Yeah, we're all just one day away from another episode.
Speaker 1: I actually interviewed an expert and it kind of stems from perfectionism's which, yeah, your successes and your curses, it's all they're all tied. Yeah, okay, so if we stay with this story, well, can.
Speaker 2: You tell me do you have imposture syndrome?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, huge?
Speaker 1: Okay. I didn't even realize it. I thought that's just how everybody felt all the time.
Speaker 4: The worst is when you sit in a room and I'm not joking. I was in a room a few months ago when we're going to talk about imposter syndrome. And I said, oh, everyone doesn't. But one person I work with racering goes, I've never felt that.
Speaker 2: Is it a man? Nope? And I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Damn, Like that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I can't decide if it was true or not. I mean, I don't know, but it was aggressive. I was like, well, thank you for sharing.
Speaker 2: When I just took off all my arm room, I'm like, I'm vulnerable, and she was like, I'm not. Like that's amazing. I laugh at it because I don't know if I believe anyone who says they haven't.
Speaker 1: I agree with you at least in some rooms.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, because you've had to have felt it. In fact, you're probably not taking enough risks if you haven't.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting. That's going to stay with me. Okay, keep that right over there.
Speaker 1: So if we stay on this storybook theme. This was kind of the dream because you said your dream basically was Kelly and Michael, which you got to guest host on, yes, or The View YEP, which you got to guest host on, and then you get this contract which is like, there are five women at that table.
Speaker 2: The chances in the whole.
Speaker 1: I don't know math, but the probability of that is so unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So it was so meant for you. It must have felt so exciting.
Speaker 1: But then I heard that you did feel imposter syndrome when you got to that table.
Speaker 4: Initially, well, I definitely felt it, so that the job itself wasn't imposter Now the task fit me, okay, But that table had Meredith Fierra. I mean, it has will be Goldberg as Joy Behar, it has Lisa Ling, it has you name the people that have sat at that table, and I thought, out of all these people, yeah, that could.
Speaker 2: Sit here, Daniel Rober, like you could sit there. When you look at it, it is a lot of timing, it's a lot of luck.
Speaker 4: You know that you got to be prepared when that moment lines up, but it rarely lines up, if we're being honest.
Speaker 1: But it's lined up for you in a way that is so it's almost like a miracle because it lined up twice. And to me, that's like it's so it was you were meant to be there.
Speaker 4: I have to remind myself that on certain days, like when I'm feeling that insecurity. But I'd like to think that because I felt all the things I missed from NBC and that family. I had the best compliment I gave the View when I just visited, was you remind me. After a few visits, I said, this staff, this crew, this reminds me of the Today Show. And that was like saying, it's the epitome for me. So that's where I liked that. It lined up for me.
Speaker 1: Everyone knew that you had so much love for the Today Show.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 4: My husband said, like a year into going to ABC, stop lecturing people about NBC.
Speaker 2: It's not a good look for you. I'm just being honest, too much honesty, Sarah. It's a Midwest thing. We can't help her some O.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, then you decide to leave the View?
Speaker 2: Yes, because.
Speaker 1: The only other dream job that could exist was a Kelly and Michael type of show, and now it was going to be Sarah and Michael.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is kind of unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable and literally the only thing you could have offered me other than.
Speaker 5: Esenl which we're still holding out for is we were waiting for that phone call because literally that is the one thing.
Speaker 2: And I love the View. I loved the View.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's why I always laugh because I'm like, it's not like I left out of anything. I mean, I really was emotional leaving because that was a place I'd found after years of feeling misplaced, displaced, like I just didn't feel good, and then I felt good, and I thought, do I want to leave good again?
Speaker 1: And you had this like really emotional, tearful goodbye that I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: I literally you would have thought someone died. It was kind of it was a funeral. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And right before I walked on stage, Joy looked because I had spent the whole morning hugging everyone and saying goodbye and little cards and this, Joy go, are you gonna fucking cry again?
Speaker 2: And I was like, you were so mean to me?
Speaker 4: She laugh She was trying to make me laugh. She goes, are you gonna fucking cry again? Right as we're walking out, and I was like, well there it goes.
Speaker 2: Here we go, I'm gonna busy being means you punch me in the face.
Speaker 1: So you joined the third hour, it's called GMA Day and then it's rebranded Straighthan and Sarah and you said it was not good from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing is the name.
Speaker 4: So, first of all, I love Michael Strahan and I loved when he called me. I thought, are you kidding me? Like I already have my dream, You're really going to dangle this. I should have known the foreshadowing of this, though. So I joined the show and they say, we've got three ideas for names. Okay, Gma Day start something like two other names, and I said, oh gosh, the only one that sounds kind of is GMA Day. The next day they're like, so we're going with Gma Day and I thought, oh wow, so that's where you know, Like I still laughed at this moment. That was the first thing I ext. They asked about a title, I expressed it and they went that way. So I thought that should have told me everything I needed to know. But I think the problem was it was a failed experiment from the beginning. You cannot put a Kelly and Michael show at that hour. They needed to keep it branded to make it that it needed to if it was going to be a standalone, it couldn't be a replication. I wasn't the only one thinking it was like a Michael and Kelly. I'm sure Michael was thinking that that's why I.
Speaker 2: Loved the dream.
Speaker 4: But Kelly Rippa is amazing, and she works in a place where she has this established audience. This is like a lunchtime crowd. No one's everything about. It was like TV.
Speaker 2: One oh one. But I still don't regret making the decision.
Speaker 4: But that took me back into some really dark places as well, because the pressure, like, yeah, Michael's a name, Keiky Palmer was a name, but your name is in the title. My name's in the title, So it feels like it's all on you regardless of It's like TV's a team sport, but nobody knows that because you're just watching Strahan and.
Speaker 2: Sarah right and Michael had been on Mike w and Kell. He chose to leave. He's already proven he can do that.
Speaker 4: Everything I had wanted to prove in my mind was riding on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So and then I find out I'm pregnant. So I was thoroughly Caleb, that Caleb had a little bit the stinker. So I told my husband.
Speaker 4: I said, as a thirty seven year old bride, I never would have uttered the words it's.
Speaker 2: Not a good time.
Speaker 4: Because I had dreamt my whole life of having kids and I wouldn't mess with the powers that be. But we had a boy and we had a girl, and we'd always wanted a third But now knowing what two looked like, I thought. I remember turning to Max and saying, there's I feel so much pressure that if I were to get pregnant right now, I could have a mental breakdown. And I wasn't joking, and I said, so, we have to be careful. What I didn't know is I was already pregnant. It just wouldn't have showed up. Like a week later was when I found out I was pregnant. So I was already sitting in the midst of a breakdown.
Speaker 2: And that was the.
Speaker 4: Beginning of all the falling dominoes because I knew the appearance I would never I knew the north Star was family, but I also know, girl, you were just given a show and you are Sarah and not Michael, and you get pregnant like every bad female storyline started flying at my face.
Speaker 2: What have I done?
Speaker 4: And that was a lot of me putting that on me. But then as it went on, I could see when I was due and Michael was on vacation, and our names were in the title and they're like, we've got to fix this, and I felt it was all on me. So I remember telling them I'll come back at six weeks and I'll come back the next week, and they were like, legally, we can't let you because I thought, you can't have Michael and Sarah gone on a show called Michael and Sarah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. So it was like and then literally the depths of how low I got.
Speaker 4: The best part was and the pivotal moment on the other end of this dark like it always felt like it was my No one made me think that, so I'm not blaming anyone. It was me, but the depths I fell. And then Max said the most beautiful thing. He said, stop holding onto this show like it was the dream you had, because.
Speaker 2: It never was. It just sounded like it.
Speaker 4: Well that was when like, I was so low. I never lose weight when I'm stressed or I go the other way. It was the first time in my life I was losing weight.
Speaker 2: I was depressed.
Speaker 4: The show had been suspended and eventually it was going to be canceled, and Max said, you are fighting like it's everything you thought it was.
Speaker 2: You know it's not.
Speaker 4: You've known that let go, and it was like, oh my god, and then I could recover because I could handle and deal if I just stopped running and fighting and clinging.
Speaker 1: And it was like like you still tried. Yeah, you're still a person who tried.
Speaker 4: I tried, and a lot of the things were out of my hands and I needed to let go of. This wasn't like the other pivots where up being my shot, my shot, my child. This was something I was projecting that wasn't that, and I needed to stop.
Speaker 1: Well, something you've talked about in terms of those female storylines that I think is really I'd actually never thought about it until you said this. But you said you went from like the young woman on the show. You were the hot young Sarah, and then you came back as a mom, and all of a sudden, Kiki had the young sort of segments or things that were attributed to her, and mom became your identity. Yeah, which is so hard when you are just had given birth and are freaked out about your identity.
Speaker 4: Well, it wasn't even like when I was doing all the fun things, I was super young. Now looking back your thirties, you're very young. Yeah, But in my mind because I'm at the time, I was in my thirties. The twenties were young. I wasn't in my young, vibrant hot self, but they would let me do anything I wanted. I literally scaled down the tallest building in Jersey City to fight breast cancer for hotocopy.
Speaker 2: I jumped out of a plane.
Speaker 4: I learned how to child, I learned how to stand up, paddle board, I bleue glass and Canada. Anything I wanted to not because I was young, because I wasn't a mom, I could still be Sarah.
Speaker 2: It was like night and day.
Speaker 4: Now Kiki, who I adore and I literally love her so much and admire her.
Speaker 2: It was not her or either of us doing this.
Speaker 4: But now these producers would come to me and they're like, we've got a mom segment, We've got a parenting segment. And I thought it was like a build off postpartum depression, which I now look back and realize from the moment you say you're pregnant, you don't realize how quickly you fade. Like the back of the Future photo when the brothers and sisters fade. Anyone understand that reference, you know it right?
Speaker 2: Thank you? The picture fades as they die and ememorated when you told me that, like he's so young.
Speaker 4: No, but it's a famous scene in this picture, and they slowly die away from the moment you say that, how's the baby?
Speaker 2: How is it?
Speaker 4: And it's not that you don't want to love that baby, but you don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that all the instincts kick in. I'm still waiting and my child's eight. Now you know that stuff doesn't just turn on. I was still Sarah, but I was no longer Sarah. Did anyone see me anymore? It's like an invisibility that you're like, how do I do this? And then it was playing out at work.
Speaker 1: Alicia Menandez on NBC Love Her she wrote the likability Trap. And I wrote this quote down years ago because it always stuck with me, She said, I was anxious about people who would know me for the first time as a mom. It's such a powerful identifier. All of a sudden, you become this one dimensional person that used to be multidimensional. All of my markers of motherhood predated my actual birthing a child, and it exacerbates gender norms.
Speaker 2: If a woman's warm and kind.
Speaker 1: She must be a mom, and then she must not be competitive or dominant because she would need to be the person in the leadership position, which is exactly what you just said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it also showed me how the world saw me. And by the way, I do not at all any bad feelings towards the many women. But it was mostly a female staff, and they were young, and they weren't at that point in their lives yet, so I don't think they understood how that was received. As they pitched that way, like I could still jump out of planes now, they were like, oh, we can't have a mom.
Speaker 2: Well guess what.
Speaker 4: Moms do A lot of stuff and I hadn't changed, everyone else projected a change.
Speaker 2: It must have sucked walking into work every day. I cried every day.
Speaker 4: And funny enough, there were a lot of great moments because the staff was amazing. Yeah, I loved Keky and Michael. I mean, talk about laughing until you hurt at all the things. It wasn't anyone's fault, that's the problem. But as it played out, it felt like I was being dragged behind a car, and for the first time I couldn't wait to leave. So I was one of those moms that felt better going to work. Now, work was not a safe haven. And even though I felt like I clutched around as a mom, I would rather do that with all my heart than what was happening at work.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't do it. And so that was a really low point.
Speaker 1: There's this element to it, like when you would hit a wall when you were younger and starting out in your career. There was nothing to lose, Like of course you could go pitch executives. You didn't have a quote unquote name and broadcast Yeah, like you were Sarah Haynes from the View and it was this at like the industry was watching and people were watching, And so I understand why it felt like so much pressure.
Speaker 2: There was so much pressure. Yeah, I still to this day take a lot.
Speaker 4: When I look back, you'd think with years I could have fresh growth on that because it offered me so many strengths and practices that I came back with a new confidence, more fearless. Because again, when you've seen dark moments in your life, whether anyone else thinks it's a dark moment or not, when you've survived that, the strength you get never goes away.
Speaker 2: So you take that with each tra ever, refall you have, you take something with you.
Speaker 4: And I came back with a louder voice I heard myself, because anything was better than the dark spot.
Speaker 2: So all that stuff came with me.
Speaker 4: But still to this day, I can so quickly channel how delicate and vulnerable I was, and how grateful I am that the view said if you're not busy, we want you back, and I thought I felt even a double gratitude that there was a chance.
Speaker 1: Again, Well, what's amazing is that timing because Abby Huntsman was leaving the show yep, and you could have your seat back.
Speaker 4: Well I don't even know if this is possible to say, but Brian or Boss had when Abby decided to leave. He didn't want to rush to fill it because the writing was on the wall for our show.
Speaker 2: So I think a part of him was like any minute now. That's so nice of him.
Speaker 4: Though it was because he said, you know, Sarah, he goes, we always loved you here, you know, And it was the same table you left. Yeah, because Abby, and she's so kind Roise ships in the night. But Abby, for her own life, had made that decision. But that was literally my seat before and Brian was like.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much longer this show has led. I'm sorry, and I was like, thank you, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Like, but that's incredible timing. That's how I know that was meant to be your seat.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So online comments because during this time, I can imagine you get with the view, you get negativity all the time because it's a polarizing show where you're sharing opinions, but with Strahan and Sarah it I can imagine it just hurts more.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: The problem and the reason it hurts is when the troll in your own brain is the loudest.
Speaker 1: Yes, it doesn't hurt if you don't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the problem is when they endorsed the troll in your own mind, that critical voice. That voice can offend you on any other person. And when someone else says yeah, I see that too, you're like, oh, she's right, Like.
Speaker 2: That voice is right.
Speaker 4: And so I had to make very deliberate steps. I'd check in with myself, what am I looking for?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 4: Am I looking for external endorsement? Because I'm probably not going to find it, and I'll probably fall further than I feel right now by reading it. Do I want to check in. I was pretty disciplined about it because I was not in a good place. And the problem was because I was believing it. Now it was affecting me on air in a way it never had done.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't now, you know the comment, Well, in.
Speaker 4: That moment, I now realized I was going through postpartum again. But you don't often know it until you're out of it and looking back because you're so busy surviving it that you're.
Speaker 2: Like, it's not so bad. No, I got this, it's just work.
Speaker 4: It's this, And then when time clears and you come up, you're like, that was bad.
Speaker 2: That was bad.
Speaker 4: And so I remember that during those times, I would blank and I'd never this far, nothing had ever rattled me. I mean, I'd have my own moments where I forget what I was saying, but really not an anxiety driven problem. I would sit and I'd go to ask a question and I'd blank. And I then had to tell my boss. I pulled him aside and I thought, something's not right here, and I need him to know in case this is to affect the product so much, and I said, I am struggling right now. I need you to know because I'm having a hard time sometimes in interviews, and so.
Speaker 2: That sucked.
Speaker 1: It's one of the worst feelings in the world. Yeah, I've had it. Oh it's horrible. You feel like a loser.
Speaker 4: You feel like a loser, and you're like, externally, no one knows. So you're hurting, you're struggling, you're crying, you're fighting back tears. You're like, this is awful. No one needs to tell me, yea, and yet you can't. You also aren't feeling like you need to share all those vulnerable things. So I'm not going to come out and pour it on the table for you. I'm not even through it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really dealt with a lot, Sarah in a public way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that part was probably the worst so far. That's the lowest sit and I know life is long, so they'll probably be more. But that was dark, and I don't think I couldn't have fully grasped it while I was going through it, or it would have killed me.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about happy things because you give really good dating advice.
Speaker 2: I love some dating advice.
Speaker 1: So you were thirty seven when you met and married Max.
Speaker 2: Met Max thirty four, Okay.
Speaker 1: Married Max at thirty seven and he's five years younger than you. Yes, So I want to ask you about age gap relationships.
Speaker 2: Yep. I know men and women are different.
Speaker 1: But I was in a relationship when I was twenty with a thirty one year old Yeah, and I look back on that with I was a volunteer. I wasn't a victim, but I kind of feel like I was.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a victim. Like I'm like, I'm not sure I knew what I signed up for.
Speaker 4: So I dated a man that was eighteen years older than me when I was twenty two.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, And were you a volunteer.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I was a volunteer and we were together for four years.
Speaker 2: We were wow.
Speaker 4: And then the next one, the next serious one, the really toxic one nine.
Speaker 2: Years older than me. Okay.
Speaker 4: I had turned away guys that were even a year younger because I said, I don't date younger, and then I did and I married him.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is what always happens. What I realized is you should aim hide.
Speaker 4: But the privilege of describing what your type is, what you want is just that it's a privilege.
Speaker 2: It's an imaginary concept. Put it all out there.
Speaker 4: But be ready when you want six to one and he comes in at five ten. Be ready when you thought that.
Speaker 2: He would be older or at least your age, and he's five years younger.
Speaker 4: Be ready when you thought you were going to have someone that saw your whole spiritual world the way you did, and he's an agnostic ethnic Jewish man, like, be ready for whatever will be thrown at you, because that's what life does. It doesn't serve it up, because it wants to make sure you're paying attention and listening.
Speaker 2: How do you know he was it?
Speaker 4: So I always see There wasn't a moment I actually really I was just an efficient at a dear friend's wedding, and I laid into this in my remarks.
Speaker 2: The way we describe love in this.
Speaker 4: World, specifically for girls and women, is it happens to you. It's electric, you'll feel it, it's a bolt, it's all these things. Well, that gives all the power to something out external that happens. There's a very sober moment where you have to eventually make a choice, and there's not a guarantee. The people that you hear that from. I also felt how many the ones did I meet? They just weren't saying yes or calling back, you know, like I met other guys, I had storylines. You know, Eventually you have to stop and say, are we looking in the same direction When we look at what life looks like?
Speaker 2: Do we mostly agree?
Speaker 4: You may suck at cleaning up the bathroom, which he does, and he leaves the toothpaste lid off, and I'm about to lose my mind? All those things can be there when it comes to your values, the most important things in life?
Speaker 2: Do we agree on those things?
Speaker 4: When we have children, do we agree on what type of people we want them to be? Not necessarily what activity or what, but like in general, if we're doing that and I'm still attracted to you and I enjoy your company, eventually you make a choice.
Speaker 2: And it's timing.
Speaker 4: I don't believe Max was walking towards me his whole life and I was walking toward him. There's a lot of luck in life, a lot of stuff happens. You've got to be ready, and you've got to make a deliberate choice with your head, not your heart.
Speaker 2: Heart has to be involved. Yeah, you've got to use this. We make our best decisions not in the fog of.
Speaker 1: This but in the clarity of this, and you feel like you and Max wanted the same things out of.
Speaker 2: Life in general.
Speaker 4: We both wanted a family, Like I think it's a deal breaker if you disagree on kids.
Speaker 2: I don't think people change on that.
Speaker 4: Do we want a life with kids, Do we want to have those kids together those types of things. Do we believe in the same kind of integral values of character doing the right thing?
Speaker 2: We're both works in progress. We both agree on that.
Speaker 4: But we're marrying each other today where we're at, But we're gonna hope, We're definitely going to grow, or one of us is not going to be here in the end, you know. So all those really pivotal things, and you just have to you do have to enjoy their company. I think women learn to put themselves in a pretzel to be chosen as if we weren't worth choosing, you know, like, and we keep doing that, and then we stop, and we don't know where our voices, We don't know what we believe in or the amount of things I took on that one x I became a triathlete because he was a triathline guy. No, I was an athlete, and I ended up loving it. But I look at like how many times they came in. Why wasn't I offering what I had? Why wasn't I thinking about what I felt? Why wasn't that person saying, Hey, I want to go explore your gave volleyball league with you.
Speaker 2: I want to wear the shorts.
Speaker 4: I want to wear the short It's like, why was there was so much here that I knew value? Why wasn't I asking people to lean into me? I was so busy leaning.
Speaker 2: Out to them.
Speaker 1: There's this one question that I think nobody really asked. You probably did, but a lot of young people don't ask what does retirement look like for you?
Speaker 2: Okay, we actually talked about this. I wouldn't say I grew.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say I knew so much that I asked every right question, because there are definitely questions I would hone in on, but retirement what I love about him and our parents are both a different generation and version of this. We never want to be away from our kids, so we said, aside from traveling and definitely enjoying not seeing the world, laying on beaches with Pina coladas, like, not like we're going to see every chapel I can't wait to go to Asia, beautiful places. Our mission is to lay on our asses and laugh and drink and read books.
Speaker 2: That's what we want to do.
Speaker 4: But in between, we never want to be away from our children. So my parents I went away to school, they're in another place. Max's dad is down in Florida. His mom's up here, but he's not that close with her. So everyone's spread out. And our kids will say to us, do we ever have to leave you? They're at that young age, do we have to leave you? We're like, no, right now, Alex in the face, I want to live with you forever. We're like, you are welcome to We think you're going to change your minds when you are welcome. But Max and I bond because it's mostly our dads. As much as they love us. They're like, we raise you. We're done, we're having fun. I said Max, I want to compound and I want to be near one to three children anywhere they go, and he's like, I agree. We want to be there and show up and take care of the grand babies. We want to let them get away from her, and we don't want to push agendas. We don't care what you want to feed them. We just want to love them and love them because we love you. So we have agreed that our life will just contain hauling after our kids, hearing about every test, every game.
Speaker 2: Once you meet them, you never.
Speaker 4: Want anything else, really, and it's not instant, just to be clear, it wasn't something I felt. But when I look at those three little people and they're very I stop and I like, I never want to not know you, and I want to.
Speaker 2: Know all of you.
Speaker 4: I want to know a Bland Tuesday in October. I want to know all the things. I want to hear your days. I want to as much as you'll talk to me, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be there.
Speaker 4: And Max is the exact same way, and men are not always that way.
Speaker 2: Not to stereotype, but he is just as obsessed with as me.
Speaker 1: And is that because you guys didn't feel that in your childhood or because you did.
Speaker 4: We felt like his dad worships him if he literally he's his dad's only child. His dad was forty something when he had him, so his dad had given up on having kids. When Max read a book in college, he'd say, Dad, I read this cool thing. His dad would go find it his dad's language is Russian, so he I mean they're Russian for he's a first generation maxis so he only speaks Russian with his parents.
Speaker 2: His dad would hunt down that book and read it.
Speaker 4: Max took an excursion after law school for three months solo in Asia. His dad two years later repeated the same itinerary because he wanted to see what Max had seen. I said, my parents definitely don't love me like that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: His dad worships him, like in the most beautiful I've never seen someone love so much. Max feels that, and he loves his dad back. My parents love me, but my mom would love to be close to us, but she's got four and were scattered.
Speaker 2: My dad is God love him.
Speaker 4: He's like, like my mom always say, should we go move up there? Take care of the kid. My dad's like, hey, I raised my four, love them. They can visit, but we're done. I never want to be done.
Speaker 2: You're in it. I am in it until the very end.
Speaker 1: What's the most fun you've ever had on TV?
Speaker 2: Probably when Tiffany sang to me on my fortieth birthday. That was amazing.
Speaker 4: I still like I can watch that video and like my body like shakes. It was one of the coolest moments.
Speaker 2: In my life.
Speaker 4: Why, I think because it channeled, like there's so many moments where I stop and I'm completely Sarah Hanes from where I came from. So some of my closest friends are childhood friends. Yeah, and I'm like, can you believe this? Like what's going on? That moment was so pinnacle because we used to dance. My sister a goofy not cute to Tiffany, I think we're alone now in that moment to realize it was like a record scratch moment where you realize, I'm standing here, that's Tiffany, that was Debbie Gibson on a video message. What the hell is going on right now? And it is so jarring and magical. And as you're looking next to your seeing your modern friends like Paula Faris, Amy Robach was backstage, all these friends and it's your life colliding. It's like your twelve year old self bumping into you in the future saying you're gonna be okay, this is fun.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of fun coming and like it was just amazing.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful way of describing it. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I don't think I thought about it that way, but there's something raw there.
Speaker 1: The record scratch, yeah, okay, some rapid fire yep. Dream guest panelist on the view, the most obvious question, Daniel, Okay, how about dream guest?
Speaker 2: Dream guest? Yeah, so not host Okay, yeah, dream guest.
Speaker 4: I have still yet to meet Bill Clinton or brockelone and just for that historical moment of that, I'm obsessed with Hillary Clinton, but I would love to.
Speaker 2: Meet one of them.
Speaker 1: A book that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read. She's come undone, finish the sentence. Every woman should try this once an acting class, really scene study. What's the most challenging part of your job right now? Being unapologetically strong with myself? How do you talk about money with your husband?
Speaker 2: Not? Well?
Speaker 1: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: Probably coming to New York?
Speaker 1: Okay, grab a question everything card which everyone calls you?
Speaker 4: Oh, what parts of yourself do you feel almost proud of? I feel most proud of the way I love people. It's from my toes and it's big.
Speaker 2: I give it freely.
Speaker 1: Everybody around you feels it, Oh, I hope so they do?
Speaker 2: You really take care.
Speaker 4: I love I love people when I connect especially It's not like I love every person, but when I love, it will pour out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for your time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Danielle. This was amazing, so amazing. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day.
Speaker 1: I'll see you next week.