Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome on into the Betting Pros Podcast.
Speaker 2: It is time for some Week eight action here.
Speaker 1: We are at the halfway point of the quasi halfway point of the season. Here and of course, as always, joining me here to break down the weekend slate. We have none other than the Oracle himself, Matt Friedman, and joining us today none other from the Action Network than Stucky himself. How are you doing today? Thank you so much for joining us here, Jill.
Speaker 3: Well, it's we're in the heart of football seasons. You follow college football, I guess I'll do it. I'll shameless plug two for pig Bets on Campus podcast, getting ready to do that later today. But if you follow college football and the NFL, we have at least one football game in each of the next twenty seven days. That's a beautiful time of the year.
Speaker 1: And then that's going to dovetail right into the World Cup, so you get even more other football action going on there. This is the best sports time we have everything going on here. Baseball is almost over, we got the NBA and somebody should probably tell the Lakers that NHL is kicked as to drop the puck on their season. This is full sports season here. It doesn't get any better than this, ladies and gentlemen, And so today we're gonna be talking about some of these NFL games here, Matt. The first one you have up on your list might be one of my biggest no touch games of the year because I have absolutely zero ankling here. You've been low on the Raiders this all season. Their big win against the Texans doesn't do it for you. Here you are taking the Saints as one and a half point dogs at home this week against the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, still very much like the Saints in the spot. You know, that offense with Andy Dalton at quarterback for some reason, maybe it's just because he's avoiding some of the massive turnovers you know we've seen Jameis Winston, but that offense has been pretty good, averaging thirty one points per game with Dalton, and Dalton for his career has been pretty good as an underdog forty one thirty one and two against the spread, going against Derek Carr, who's been fifteen to twenty five and one against the spread as a favorite. So you know, trans pointing in opposite directions there, But just in terms of on field matchup, the Saints rush offense versus the Raiders rush defense. I think that for me is going to be the big difference here. The Saints have one of the league's best running offenses and the Raiders are mediocre against the run, you know, often allowing opponents to stay on schedule and sustained drives on the ground. They're number seventeen in rush success rate, number twenty in rush DVOA, and you know, for the Saints offense, they're top three in both of those categories. You know, the Raiders are exploitable via the air as well, bottom six and both drop back EPA and drop back success rate. But you know, with the pass catching injuries the Saints have, I think they're likely to rely more on the running game, and with the edge that they have in that area, I think they're going to keep the contest close. And the Thursday look Ahead market the Saints were minus one and a half and I still think that they should be favored here. I have this at Saints minus one.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Things.
Speaker 1: Number one, the rush bit completely on with especially now that the Raiders are also losing Jonathan Hankin as they traded him to the Dallas Cowboys. Here, this rush defense is very exploitable here, and I fully expect to see a lot of Taysom Hill and Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 2: Andy Dalton's been avoiding the major turnovers though. Didn't you have two picks sixes last week?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But one of those wasn't his fault, you know, Like for the most part, he hasn't been Jameis Winston, which is like the threshold for whether you get to start over Jameis Winston.
Speaker 1: But all I'm saying is I'm a little worried if we do see another turnover too. I want to know how long the leash is with him, because apparently coach Dennis Allen was saying that he's going to start, but Jamis is healthy, and we had heard for weeks with this Saints team that Jamis is going to start when he's back and healthy. At how cool If Andy Dalton gets off to a bad start, do you think they put Jamis in this game?
Speaker 4: Maybe, but I think it would have to be a really bad start. They did say that it was performance at this point and not health as to why Dalton is starting, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stucky, what are you thinking on this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It's this is a It's a tough handicap, mainly because of all the injuries that New Orleans of stuffered a key positions right secondary, wide receiver. I show i'd make this a true coin flip. So if I had a bet, and I bet the Saints, who have actually been pretty good in terms of efficiency on both sides of the ball, they've been the unluckiest team in turnovers, which tend to regress over the course of the season, especially if you know you don't have Winston in there. I mean, Dalton's two pick sixes last week basically cost some the game. There's been a couple other games like that. We're just absolute game swinging penalties. They've not only just numerically have they had the worst turnover luck in the NFL. It's like when they come you have to like if you dig in the penalty in turnovers, like they matter a lot more than you know, a Hail Mary at the end of the first half compared to like you're driving and there's a pick six. So but one thing that gives me pause here is the Saints defensive line. Theyre just haven't been They're not getting any pressure number one, and if you look, Josh Jacobs looks rejuvenated. The Raiders' offensive line is actually I think they're number one in adjusted lineyards and they've been really good and run blocking. The Saints are number two. But then if you look at the other side of the ball, the Raiders defensive line has actually been better against Rent. I don't know what's going on with the Saints defensive line. Maybe some guys are over the hill dealing with injuries. I'm not sure, but generally speaking, the Saints defense will shut down the run, so I would like this matchup from that perspective, but it just hasn't really played out that way this year. But yeah, I make this a true coin flip. Saints at hun they probably have some aggression coming their way. They've been really good from an efficiency standpoint. There's just a lot of injury uncertainty with the Saints, but yeah, I think it's Saints are passed.
Speaker 1: Also important to note here, Derek Carr, limited in practice on Wednesday, was dealing with a back injury stemming from last week's game. He's still gonna play, but the last thing you want with that offensive line as a quarterback like Derek Carr, who's even more immobile for this one. That could be a big problem here for him. The next game up on the board, the Lions and the Dolphins. Here, the Lions, they're gonna be getting four and a half points in this one, three and a half points in this one right now at home. But Stucky, you had them at four and a half. Do you still like them at three and a half?
Speaker 3: I wish I had him fortnite you said four and a half. I almost ran to I was about to pull up my phone. I was like, well, I'm about to add to the Lions. Yeah, I like the Lions here. I mean, if you look at what they've done when their off, it's been full. Everyone's jumped off this bandwagon. Now they're all on it early in the year. But if you look at what they've done all year, I mean, they've put up early in their thirty five, thirty six, forty eight, and it's a team that was regularly scoring over thirty points at home indoors where Jared Goff isn't a pumpkin. And then they have one bad game at New England, you know, but they were missing some key guys and golf outdoors is a great spot for the Patriots even and then last week they go to Dallas. The yardage about equal was five turn to one. They were at the one to take the lead. I think early the fourth quarter fumbled at the one yard line. I think their defense showed out well. I actually have some promise for their defense moving forward. It's been one of the worst in the league. But they inserted some young guys into the lineup in the by you know, playing Josh Pascal more up front, Kirby Joseph I think he is playing well at safety. Then obviously everyone knows about Hutchinson, who had his best day as a pro last week, so did Jeff Akudah for what it's worth a corner knock and Rodrigez I think is a future studded linebackers. So I think their defense is going to improve, and it looked pretty good last week. And you have to remember last week the Lions didn't play with DeAndre Swift, who will play this week, and they lost him on Ross Saint Brown and like the first drive because he was spotted for a concussion which he didn't have. He's massive for that offense and especially this week, so we know the Lions have a good offensive line. They're going up against a Dolphin secondary that is down to fourth and fifth string corners and Xavion Howard and they just lost Brandon Jones at safety. It's like a really important blitz piece for them. So I think the Lions will be able to move the ball here and for as you know, fun is the Miami offens is in four or five four or five to a starts. They haven't surpassed twenty one points. Like it's just not there's something missing there. But I think this, you know, the both teams are going to be able to score here. I'll gladly take the three and a half at home with the Lions. I think defense is trending up, offense is now fully healthy. I think this is a good spot to buy Detroit.
Speaker 1: Fifty one and a half points is the total matt any thoughts on that versus one of the sides here. I know it's high, but it's it's the Lions and that defense going up against anyone is usually a recipe for an over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't I have it at fifty one point six, so you know, I'm basically right there, but I you know, I am. I'm hopeful that Stucky is right because in the look ahead market. I actually did get on the Lions at plus three, and then, of course, like my luck, it moved to three and a half instead of down. But I was, you know, at that point bullish enough on the Lions to think that this line might move down. And I'm westucky. I thought they played actually pretty well against Dallas and it was only at the end of the game that things really unraveled for them. So if I had to bet this now, I would probably be on the Lions and not the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: I'm inclined to agree with you, especially for getting that three and a half. I like that hook with the Lions here at home. But Matt, how are you feeling about this next game up here? It's the big one? This is the super Bowl of the season, the matchup to end all matchups.
Speaker 5: For the first time in twenty one years, the New York Jets head into their battle with the New England Patriots with a better record. Where are you going in this one? The Patriots are.
Speaker 1: Now laying two and a half points around town. Oh, I wanted to get to three so bad. I know what's going to happen in this game. I've been predicting the downfall and I do argue that it happened last week losing Bresee Hall, but and Elijah Vera Tucker, that's just two brutal blows for this Jets offense. I think they'll be okay in the future when and when Fant returns. This offensive line will get back to being somewhat okay. But man, these injuries has been brutal. Where are you going in this one? Are you going to lay the points with the Patriots on the road?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Stuckey, If you can't tell, Tom is a diehard Jets fan, so he's really filling it right now. Yeah, I'm on the Patriots. I think their pass defense going against the pass offense or lack of pass offense for the Jets, is the real difference in this game. And you know, the Jets offense is ranked top five and just one efficiency metric that's rush EPA per play, And in quarterback Zach Wilson's four starts, the Jets were actually number one in rush EPA per play, like giving him outstanding support in the ground game. But you know, for the year, the Jets are just number twenty two in rush success rate. Since Week four, they've improved, but still only number thirteen. And you know what that means is on a down to down basis, they're not really consistent. You know, They've just relying on the big play, especially from Briest Hall. And you know, now with him out, you mentioned Elijah Berry Tucker out, he's really the team's best run blocker. I think the Jets are going to struggle on the ground, which means they need Wilson to do more through the air, and like that's that's a big ask, right, Like that feels like a problem given that the Patriots defense is top six and every key pass efficiency metric and the Jets pass offense is no better than average. So if they can't run the ball, and if they can't pass the ball against the Patriots defense, like how are they going to score enough points to cover? So, yeah, I'm on the Patriots in this spot.
Speaker 2: Stucky, what are you feeling in this game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's test to be Patriots here for what it's worth. Belichick thirty nine to seven and one against the spread after a loss. That's eighty four percent, including twenty six three and one against the spread on the road after a loss, covering by eleven points per game, that's ninety percent two and out this year to He's done it with Castle, He's done it with multiple quarterbacks. Yeah, the Jets are whatever. The right with their fraudulent record is they've beaten they've won four and or I think against nothing backup quarterbacks. Last week, by the way, I had a ten great of that game is a ten point loss for the Jets. Great at that. The seventeen point win against the Packers is a four point loss they had. They scored on two trick plays on offense, a punt block for a touchdown, block the field goal. This off the last two games that they won on the road, and they Zack Wilson had a twenty nine percent success rate and a thirty one percent success rate complete poverty. He's under He's the worst. I think he's the worst quarterback in the NFL by far, this guy. I mean, it's it's amazing that they're winning games with him, and they're winning games despite him facing back up quarterbacks getting some fortunate breaks under and the Patriots get a lot of pressure too. Under pressure. This year, Zach Wilson is five of thirty one for forty yards five of thirty one for forty yards. He is completely lost back there, and yeah, now you don't have Breis Hall to you know, break a seventy yard run here or there. I think the Jets are in for a long day. If you look at EPA plus completion percentage of expectation. Out of thirty six qualified quarterbacks, Jack Wilson's thirty fifth. The only one that's been worse this year is Baker Mayfield. So yeah, this is this is Patriots all the way in a bounce back spot. And yeah, the Jets are. Their medicine is coming and they're coming back down to Earth soon. I like their future. They've got some good young pieces, but their defense isn't as good as people think that they keep playing backups and their offense with Alvaris Hall is a joke.
Speaker 1: This is just this is just going to be terrible because this is where the era of good feelings get nothing. Nothing gold can stay with the Jets. Of course, four straight wins here and then in the last one and this was the game for me where I said, if we beat the Broncos, it's you're starting to look at.
Speaker 2: This team and go, okay, they can make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Now five and two, going, you're going into this. You look at the back half of their schedule. This is a team that can potentially make that run because the teams that they play after the bye week are complete jokes. And so of course Breese Hall and Elijah Vera Tucker have to go down. You can't enjoy anything for a minute. And yeah, I do think that this is going to be a blowout here. I'm probably not gonna end up betting it. I'm just gonna take my misery and deal with it. But I definitely agree it's a two game losing streak heading into the bike. They're gonna lose this one. They're gonna lose to the Bills, and then you're still in a good position. But it definitely hurts not having Breeze Hall and James Robinson is not an adequate replacement for him.
Speaker 2: We do need a You could, I.
Speaker 3: Will say you could. Yeah, you need a quarterback back. Yeah, you could win this game. It's not out of the it's a division game. The totals forty Yeah, I actually like the under too, and you can have a couple breaks goarway. So I like the Patriots offense is a juggernaut and you're gonna get mac Jones still shaking off some rusts. You barely got any work last week. And if you do win this game, like I like the Patriots, but out man the Bills next week will be an absolute. There is zero percent chance. First of all, but again, Wilson will be under pressure the whole game. There is zero percent chance that the Jets offense can keep up with the Bills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is if they win again that game. I'm still chewing up.
Speaker 1: I looked at these three gate pre bye week games and I just said, if we could just grab one, and we grabbed one, So I'm happy. But the sad thing is that we did it at the price of losing our only two good players on offense. I just hope that this team still recognizes that they're not getting the job done with Zack Wilson and they need to move on to another quarterback after the season, because that was my whole goal for this season with the Jets was just suck enough that you move on from Zach Wilson and you can take all of these talented pieces and get him a real quarterback. I was never a believer in this guy, and I'm still not at this point. But we've spent more than enough time talking about the Jets here because well, wait, now you're.
Speaker 3: Going to go eight to nine though, and not get a good draft pick and he stuck. Maybe you get a veteran quarterback.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't really I'm not invested at the quarterbacks at the top of this draft class anyway. You've got a bam a quarterback in the Ohio State quarterback as the two best ones right now. I don't want any part of either of those programs giving me a quarterback for the next twenty years. So I'm okay with a mid round pick and trying to take a fly or something, because it's not like when we had a number two overall pick we get anything good with it. We took Zach Wilson. So we'll see what happens. I don't really trust Stroud and Young. But that's a conversation for a different podcast here, because we got something really even weirder and possibly hasn't happened in more than the twenty one years since the Jets have had the better record.
Speaker 2: Going into the game against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: The Packers are eleven point dogs in their game this week. Yes, it's against the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo. But when is the last time we have seen them laying getting eleven points? I almost feel like I have to take that number, even though this team has done nothing to show me that there are any good over the past several weeks.
Speaker 2: Matt, what are you think it in this one?
Speaker 4: Well, let's kick it to Stucky. This is really his game here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like the backagtar I took plus eleven and a half. It's never happened with Rogers. He's never been more than a touchdown underdog in the regular season. Oddly enough, he's it's happened three times, and all on this same weekend. Last year he won at undefeated Arizona with no receivers. He won. He lost by on a last second field goal at undefeated Rams in twenty eighteen, who went under the Super Bowl and the Packers stunk that year, and then in twenty ten they beat the undefeated Jets. I think nine to nothing. I don't know what happened in that game. I got to go back and look.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I actually remember watching that game because it is just it was a class the Sanchez. It was a classic Sanchez game. The offense couldn't do anything, even though the defense stifled Matt Aaron Rodgers in one of the best seasons he ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I look, they're going to have the receiving core. They just have no explosiveness. This Packers team. Everyone has documented the struggles, but you know, they've also been really unlucky. I mean, their special teams are terrible, but if you look their sixth and success rate, they can move the ball a little bit. They're actually I saw someone tweet this out today. They're number two in EPA per play on offense outside of the forties, Like in the middle of the field, they can't do anything. They're also dead last and fourth down conversion rate thirty second EPA per play on late downs, which tend to have more variants. Their defense is still a really good pass defense, and their run defense is awful, and they've played these teams that have just run all over them. But this matchup might not be the worst thing for them. Like Bills don't give up explosive plays, so and the Packers don't have any exposiveness in their offense. They're gonna have to run the ball, They're gonna have to dike it, dunk they're gonna get rid of the quick. We'll see how healthy their offensive line is. That's anohing they dealt with offensive line injuries. And on the other side of the ball, the Bills throw the ball. That's what they do. They can't run it, by the way, even if they come out here and say let's run it more. I think they're bottom three and heap gave for play when running the ball, So they're gonna throw it a lot. And that's what the Packers look for. Shawn Gary practice today, which is big. The Packers can get some pressure. They have a good secondary, so I kind of like the match up here with their you know, kind of dink and dunk efficient offense. You hope that they get some better luck on late downs. And on the other side, like their pass defense is good. That's what you want against the Bills. Maybe I know Bills are off of a buy here, but they just beat the Chiefs. It's like the Packers struggle. Maybe they come out a little flat, And I think this situation just sets up well for the Packers and like everyone's written them off. They've had all this pressure on them, their offense, and like you can go in here and play loose and free. No one's giving you a chance. And most importantly, I just think that this is the bottom of the market on the Packers, which is really what you want to do and what I, or at least what I first try to do when betting the NFL, you know, buying low and selling high. It's similar to the stock mark. And I think that this is the bottom of the Packers stock And I know it's so narrative based to say, oh, Aaron Rodgers, hall of fame quarterback, I'll glad they take eleven and a half with him, and I'll tell you why that's important. And like if I had to think that this is a blowout down seventeen late, especially in today's EEV with the scoring down, if they're down seventeen late in the game, that's a blowout. Then you got a Hall of Fame quarterback with three minutes ago, playing against a prevent defense. You need them to go down to get a touchdown. Could be in worse spots.
Speaker 1: So back door is very open, and the Bills can let you back in, especially given their injuries in the secondary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, So yeah, I think that this is the this is the time to buy the Packers and historic Boks. Speaking of buying low, if you just follow this blindly the past forty years, teams off three straight losses and three straight non covers, you just bet them the next week, especially as an underdog you're at sixty percent. Historically, everyone is just talking about how bad the Packers are, how great the Bills are. It's goodbye, low Cellah spot puld your nose, Matt.
Speaker 1: Any thoughts on this game or do you want to go on to your next game which is a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you know, I'm on the look aheadline here. I got it on you know, last Thursday, Buffalo minus eight and a half, and I saw that I was like, no way that this doesn't get to ten by the time this line really opens on Sunday nights. So I bet that if I'm looking at this number now, I take all the Stucky's points and I'll just say, like, I think he's probably right. There's a difference between like being right, like in terms of how teams match up with each other, and then like you know, going by the number based on your power ratings. I still have this like power rated to where Buffalo should be favored by eleven point seventy five points, So in theory, there's still like my line would point towards the Bills, but you know, past ten, you know, the difference between like ten and a half eleven and then getting up to eleven point seven five, They're like, there's not much of a difference there, And I don't I don't think I really want to be betting this game on the Bill past ten. I mean I take Stucky's point of like, yeah, like, am I going to regret like a week from now not having bet on Aaron Rodgers at like what is definitely like the low point in the market for him? Like yeah, I will probably be like, man, I should have just been on, I should have tried to middle or I should have just waited and be like, no, I'm gonna bet the Packers once this gets past ten. So I take Stucky's point there, but at this point in the market, I'm probably staying away.
Speaker 3: On a scale of one to ten, how shock would you be at if the Packers went out right three?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say maybe four, five.
Speaker 2: I mean, nothing shocks anymore.
Speaker 4: Right, like big underdog winning this year, Like, yeah, that's that's very conceivable, especially with you know, Aaron Rodgers and the defense that they have the one thing that does give me pause is that they just don't have the talent on offense and their their offensive line is in disarray right now with all the moving pieces they have back and forth, and you know Bactiari, who knows if he actually ends up playing, So the offensive line issues, that's really what what gives me pause.
Speaker 3: Yeah, backyard is an important piece. If you want to wait to bet this, I'm just gonna stay over ten.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They need they need Batyar at left tackle. They and then they're moving Jenkins to left guard and I think that will help, and especially against the Bills. Like Baktiari, it's been good, but he's been in there similar like Rodney Stanley, Like there's just no drop off when he plays. He's elite and you're gonna be going up against von Miller and a defensive line that can get pressure. And Aaron Rodgers has just been under fire all season long. So yeah, see if if Baciari plays, I like this even more. He practiced today which is a good sisode over Sean Garry, so it looks like he's gonna play, which is another important piece. But Baciaris is literally it appears from what I've read and heard that he's gonna be like a game time decision for the next like month. Yeah, he played two weeks ago and then he's like it just depends on the day and how was his knee feel. So yeah, he he's an important piece for this game and this matchup.
Speaker 2: It's just so hard.
Speaker 1: I don't really see how in the NFL, especially this season, how you can lay ten points in any matchup here because it's just so unpredictable and what's been going on. And so with that, Matt, the Steelers are playing the Eagles, and the Eagles are laying ten and a half points in this matchup, Where are you going in this one?
Speaker 4: So I will say I bet this when it was ten. Ten and a half is not quite as appetizing obviously because you're off of the key number. But I still I really like the matchup between these two teams, the matchup that we have for the Eagles here, and you know, like we obviously know like the trend of like Mike Tomlin as an underdog obviously fantastic in that spot forty eight twenty five and three against the spread for his career as an underdog. And yeah, I mean you can see how this could be like a Rav Ross spot for Mike Tomlin. But this Eagles pass defense going against the Steelers pass offense, I think that for me is the matchup and where this game is won. The Steelers, I think they have one of the best pass catching like skill position groups in the league. Obviously a wide receiver Deontay Johnson and Chase Claypoll George Pickens, all those three guys are great. Pat Freyremouth is an emerging tight end who I think could eventually elevate himself into the top tier. And Najee Harris is a really good pass catching back for a guy of his size. But their passing game has been thwarted by the I don't want to say like lack of development by rookie quarterback Kenny Pickett, but just like the fact that he's a rookie. He's dead last in the league with a three point nine adjusted yards per attempt, Like he has not played well this year. There are some throws where it's just like he does not have the physical ability to make those throws when he thinks that he does, so he needs to adjust his game, So like, how are they going to move the ball through the air against the Eagles. I think they're not going to. The Eagles defense is top six against the pass and a number of efficient metrics. I think they're just too strong at cornerback. You know, with James Bradbury, he's got the size and the physicality to match up with Claypool and Pickens on the perimeter. And then you know Darius Slay he's got the quickness I think to stick with Johnson. And then in the slot, Avonte Maddox has steadily developed over the past few years and to one of the better, you know, interior pass defenders. He's got, you know, an elite combination of speed and agility, which I think helps him navigate the middle of the field. I just I think the Eagles are too explosive on offense not to get out to a double digit lead, and their pass defense is good enough to be able to keep that lead in the second half. So you know, at ten and a half, it's it's close. For me, I would still be on the Eagles at this number. I obviously liked it much more ten when I bet it and wrote it up.
Speaker 2: Stucky, how are you feeling in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like you know, I make this kind of spot on Yeah, Tom, and as a dog obviously has been unbelievable. This I just would classify as a Rara spot in my opinion, which would treat me very well in the past. But I don't know if I'd want to back the Steelers here. I will I will tell you that if Lane Johnson was going to be out for the end, it looks like he's going to return out of concussion protocol. But he's really important to that offensive line, and you saw when he went out against the Cowboys. And I just have this weird suspicion that, you know, the Steelers defense would do a lot of injuries that like we're gonna it'll be like shocking everyone that TJ. Watt comes off the I R and just plays on Sunday and like he I remember he was in concussion protocol one week. They got a concussion on like a Tuesday. They played the Rams on like a Tuesday, and then he was Everyone's like he's out, and then he just played and he like practiced today. I think, Uh, my friend that's affiliated with the Steelers was like he was out there on the side like going full It wouldn't shock me. TJ. I played and the Steelers defense with TJ. Watt on and off the field splits is ridiculous. And him against that you know what the Eagles like to do off the edge and him, you know, and if Lane Johnson was out, t J. Watts like literally could be worth maybe the most important defensive player in the league in this particular matchup of Johnson was out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's terrifying. That's terrifying. The idea of TJ walking back. Honestly, I'm when we're done, I'm gonna go do some research and look this up. If he's practicing, I'm buying out of my position right now. Like, I will just say that if TJ. Watt is actually out there, I want no part of going against this number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the I will say that the like because the common thought was because the Steelers played the Eagles this week, they'll be making this up. But I think they have a buy next.
Speaker 2: Week real quick. TJ. Watt practice today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what topic they'll buy next week? So everyone's like he's just gonna come back after the bye. But they're like two and five, all right, two and five to just you have to win this game where your season is pretty much over in the ICC. So I don't know, but I will say something in support of you. And you know, I will quote trends if there's a reason for them. You know, the talmil they makes sense. He's a very good motivator, fires up a locker room. Not the greatest like in game manager, but his team he's like kind of like, get the troops ready, and sometimes they come out so flat. Of his favorites back with Roethlisberger, he's awful. He was a big favorite against losing teams. Here's one that another trend that supports the Eagles that I believe in. And this is crazy. Since two thousand and one, undefeated teams in the NFL coming off of buy that are favored at home are eighteen and one straight up and seventeen and two against the spread, covering by I think almost two touchdowns per game. Think about this. This is undefeated teams in the NFL. Everyone knows that they're good, right, you would think that they would be at the top of their market. There's seventeen to two against the spread. Why how could this be? And you know, an efficient NFL market, I would you know, my hypothesis is that if you're undefeated in the NFL and at home right number one, you're gonna get an amazing crowd Hoak Field of Avengine. You're gonna be rested, and you're a good team. You probably a good coaching staff. But you're undefeated and you're on a bye. You probably spent that two weeks like the morale and the dedication and everything is just positive and everything's working together. You probably spent those two weeks every week and second, everyone on the team studying film and like. So, yeah, that's a crazy seventeen and two against the spread for teams that are undefeated, like you would think at home favorites off of a bye covered by almost two touchdowns per game. So that supports your Eagles position here. I do agree with you that if the Eagles build a lead, it's bad news for the Steelers. You just I don't know when we're gonna be able to sell the Eagles because their schedule is so bad. But they are built to play from a head, and I think that they're going to be vulnerable when they play a team that actually gets out in front against them, which hasn't happened. It might not happen often until they get to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stuck you, that is a wild trend. Seventeen and two and so reading here, head coach Mike Tomlin has already said it's highly unlike we see Watt this week.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's assumed he's not gonna play. Okay, but I'm just saying, like everyone, he's highly highly doubtful. But he's been he was highly highly doubtful with a concussion like two days after protocol. I'm just saying it would be shocking if he played, but I personally wouldn't be shocked.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, how about this game for you here, stuck he this. I really wish this line was three because then it gets very easy for me to take the Minnesota Vikings. But it's three and a half and at some places might go to four here versus the Cardinals in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Are you taking Kyler Murray and the Cards hero.
Speaker 1: Or are you taking the Minnesota Vikings, who somehow are are Are they.
Speaker 2: Still five and one? Did they have a bye week last week?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Five, and they're five and one. They're a paper tiger. I mean they're five and one coming off of bye, and by the way, doesn't mean as much here Cardinals coming off the mini bye. They played on Thursday night. Forever reason, this Cardinals team just likes going on the road. I don't know, if they're just distracted at home Cliff is with his models and Kyler's playing call of duty. I don't know. But on the road he's fifteen three and two against the spread as an underdog, He's won eight straight outright, They're just how they perform on the road versus at home is crazy. This is when you want to back Cliff Kingsbury, who I'm not a fan of or not, on the second half of the season with Hopkins in the lineup on the road as an underdog, the numbers with him without Hopkins are stunning for Kyler Murray. I mean, even if you remove Kyler Murray, the Cardinals in general overall with him without Hopkins twenty seven points per game in twenty seven games, and I think in thirteen without them they're averaging eighteen. It's almost a ten point differential. And then Kyler Murray personally is but nine to two with a seventy two percent completion percentage of twenty touchdowns, nine interceptions, two seventy five a game with Hopkins. Without him, he's three and seven sixty four percent two thirty. Uh, just start conscience. You'd see it last week when he was in the game. He you know, had ten catches, reliable third down target, opens up kind of the outside and opens up the middle. It's just a much different offense with him in it. And then I think that they solve some things on the offensive line. They've been dealing with injuries. They moved some guys around, put in Billy Price at center. They got their best protection of the year. They're back up to Hudson is horrendous. He played three or four games the worst center in the league. Got him out of there last week and that did Wonders. And I also think their defense is a bit underrated in the market. They got torched. Torch the worst performance of the season by any team against expectations by the market. But it was in Week one against the Chiefs, but they were missing like six starters and they were playing the Cheets on a good day. They got destroyed. Their twentieth and EPA per play for the season. But if you're removed from Week two on their ninth. So I think their defense is improving healthier, is a little better than the market assumes. And this Vikings team that they've won four in a row and they're really rustling their laws. On that week one win over green Bay, it's like green Bay missed then eighty our touchdown to start the game, and look, green Bay is nowhere close to who we thought they would be. You're their four wins. They beat Miami and the stringing then second stary quarterback. They got out game four sixty to two thirty six and a half to four and a half yards per play advantage form Miami, who turned it over three times at one hundred yards and penalties. The next week they beat the Lions dead even games just should have lost, I mean the Dan Campbell decision late on that kick and then they score two late touchdowns. Then they beat the Saints dead even game statistically with their backup in London on a you know game game out of a field goal late. And then the Bears, the Bears historically bad offense, it's five point eight yards per play each one possession game. I know that they were up big early, but that that's it. They beat the Bears. The Saints, the Lions, and the Dolphins back up all by one possession, getting outplayed in most of those games. So yeah, I don't this defense isn't that good. And I think that this is a decent matchup for the Cardinals. And yeah, Kyler and Cliff on the road as a dog with Hopkins in the lineup right before their downfall when they're gonna lose like six and road end of the air.
Speaker 1: Very important to note though, the key stat Call of Duty releases tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but early release. I tweeted about this last week. I'm all over this early release. You could pay for the early release last Thursday, So Kyler played Thursday.
Speaker 2: That was that was. It was only the campaign. The multiplayer releases tonight, Duty.
Speaker 3: Man, my handicap is wrong on the Call of Duty. Maybe I gotta buy out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, gotta buy out. The multiplayer drops tonight. That man is not sleeping for the next seventy two hours, I guarantee you, and he's not thinking about football here.
Speaker 2: Other than that, absolutely love your take on this game.
Speaker 1: I am not ready to jump aboard the Minnesota Vikings train right now.
Speaker 2: Matt any thoughts here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I feel like everyone knows Cardinals road underdog. This is a spot. You don't have to tell me twice.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't need to know anything else except Kyler Murray on the road as an underdog. You know, as suck said, fifteen right, fifteen three and two against the spread in that spot for or Cliff Kingsbury's Cardinals. Absolutely amazing trend there. I bet this on the look ahead because I was just like, you know what, like I don't care what happens this weekend. I know I'm gonna be on the spot. I'm just gonna grab this number. So I had it at five and a half. When I grabbed it, I would still bet it a three and a half. I absolutely am was stuck on this on this bet here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything anything over three, I like to.
Speaker 1: The next game up for you here, Matt. We got a pair of them to finish us off. The Indianapolis Coats with Sam Ellinger quarterback, are gonna be taken on the Washington Comedies.
Speaker 2: Are you riding with Sam?
Speaker 4: Yeah? As disgusting as it is, I am going with a six rounder who has never had an NFL start before as a home favorite. I will do it. And for me, it's you know, it's the rush offense that in theory he can provide. You know, Matt Ryan, he hasn't been great this year, you know, six justed yards pertent number twenty nine, but the Colts running game has been even worse, right astoundingly. They're bottom three in rushing efficiency and now they're taking on a defense that's top ten against the run, you know, basically in whatever you know defensive run efficiency metric you're looking at. But maybe with Ellinger he can help out the ground game. You know, six rounder making his first start, so obviously that's disgusting, but in the preseason he was pretty good passing the ball twenty four to twenty nine, two hundred and eighty nine yards and four touchdowns. And you know, with Frank Reich, you know, guiding him if that's an actual thing, maybe he plays within the system well enough to go against the Commander's defense that is number twenty nine in past DVOA. And then the big thing is that he's got the mobility, the explosiveness that Matt Ryan has never had. And in four years at college he was a pretty good runner. You know, four hundred and fifty nine carries two hundred well, yeah, twenty five hundred and ten yards on the ground, thirty three rushing touchdowns, that's excluding sacks, and more importantly, one hundred and seventy three scrambles, and that like really is the difference that in theory, hopefully he can turn some of those those pressure dropbacks in sacks for Matt Ryan into chain moving improvised carries, right, and so I think that will be that will be the difference here in this game. So this number was four on Sunday Monday, you know, four on Sunday night and Monday morning. Within an hour of the announcement that Matt Ryan had been benched, it moved down to two. It met resistance, and now it's back up to the key number three where you see it in most sportsbooks kind of you know, jumping around between three and two and a half. I think the fact that it hit two and then moved back up to three, like that's the sign that the market thinks Ellinger can play or at least keep this game close. So I think the the explosiveness that he adds and the mobility that for me moves this towards the Colts at two and a half.
Speaker 1: Stucky is Matt crazy or is he on to something here? Because I am inclined to go with if you have an offensive line that is struggling, you want to get the quarterback with mobility instead of the one who is an eighty nine year old statue.
Speaker 4: But are you.
Speaker 2: Confident in Sam Ellinger in his first start here?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Some people can get the I don't know. I do think that there's the backup quarterbacks in general and their first starter undervalue, Like the market tends to think that the backup is much worse than the starter. I'd never like, I'm never on the right side of those like Brett Rippon last week I was on the Broncos. But yeah, I do think that his mobility can bring an added dimension to this offense. Also, it's like, from a preparation standpoint, they're going to run some different looks. You don't have a lot of film on them, so you know it's like, hey, we know what to do with Matt Ryan on second third long he just blits them and he can't move and then he throws a pick. So yeah, I think his mobility will add here. I don't know. The Colts games are so weird, like the only thing I know about, Like they always lose it to Titans. Always bet them. They always play the Titans and loose to them, and they don't cover somehow on like Flukes. Then they always lose to the Jags. I do always have the Jags in Jacksonville, but all the results are so random to me, Like they beat the Chiefs at home, they should have lost that game. Then they covered against the Jags, like the last second touchdown somehow. I don't know here, I'm gonna heads of Colts. It's Colts, all right, there you go that that would be my line. I have no clue, no clue. But with this line, cup down to three, Colts are nothing and Ellinger's mobility and the unknown for the prep here can only help the Colts.
Speaker 2: Give me Taylor Heinekey. I'm taking Taylor Heinekey and the Commanders in this box.
Speaker 3: That's another thing is there's so much variance in this game, Like, yeah, what are you going to get from Ellen when he throws it? And Heineke's of high variant quarterback, He's gonna make some risky throws. He might hit some he might throw a pick six, like last week he had a pick six and then there should have been another you know, when he got stripped, but there was a lucky a bad defensive holding call on the packers. Packers getting really unlucky, like you mentioned these unlucky Packer things by the way, but he's he's gonna be. You could get bad Heinekey here and we'll have two turnaments that cost them the game easily. But that could happen with Ellinger. You can have good Heinekey. I don't know. This game is very very weird.
Speaker 1: Guys, football season is here and if you want to get in on the action, we recommend heading on over to our friends at bet mgm. The King of sportsbooks is offering up the King of promotions right now. Use the promo code Betting Pros when you sign up for a bet mgm account today and you will get a thousand dollars risk free bet for your first bet. That's right, you get one thousand dollars risk free bet just for using the promo code Betting Pros when you sign up for an account with bet MGM. So get in on the action today, guys. Enjoy the football season and let's cash some tickets together.
Speaker 2: Now back to the show now.
Speaker 1: Matt You will ride with Sam Allinger in his first start as a sixth round pick. You will not ride with the once in future king Geno Smith going up against the Giants here Seattle laying three points. Are you believing in Big Blue and the Giants here in this spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean Geno Smith awesome. The career Genaisance has been something to behold and I think it is real. But yeah, I'm I'm on the Giants here. You know, Daniel Jones thirteen and four against the spread as a road underdog, a little Kyler esque in that trend there, and yeah, it's for me. The Giants run offense against the Seahawks run defense. You know they want to run the ball. You know they do it at fifty eight percent rate, which is hard to do in today's NFL, But you know, they're just committed to the run. And I guess you know, you have Saquon Barkley, you have Daniel Jones, You're gonna be running the ball. You know, Barkley is the league leader with one hundred and forty three carries. I think you know, with him, he's the best back in the league, if not the best back in the league. A top three back right now, like certainly come back player of the Year Gino Smith aside. So I'm impressed with what he's doing. And you know Daniel Jones, I mean, he is a legit running threat. He's had six carries in every game this year. Among quarterbacks, he's number four and rush attemts number three in rush yards. I mean, obviously last week he and Barkley both had one hundred yards on the ground. Like that's that's something you don't see that often, and when you do, it's normally like Lamar Jackson doing it. But you know, we got that last week. And the Giants, Yeah, they're going to be without right tackle Evan Neil, they might be without their left guard. You know, I don't think either one of those guys has a big run blocking edge over the guys who were backing them up. And as mediocre as the Giants offense has been, they've been really good running the ball. You know that that is clearly the strength. They're number three in rush EPA for play. The Seahawks defense is average against the run, number eighteen in rush EPA. And you know, I have the Giants power rated ahead of the Seahawks primarily because you know, I do trust Brian Dable more than I trust Pete Carroll is his situational decision maker. And as strong as the home field advantages at Lumenfield, I think that that is, if not the strongest home field advantage in the league, like top three, I still think that no team in today's NFL has a three point home field advantage. So if the Giants can run the ball effectively against the Seahawks, I think they're.
Speaker 2: Going to cover here, Stucky, what are you thinking in this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, tough game, it's uh, I mean, look, you got the Giants are the luckiest seem in the NFL. Like we actually that with our Lucky metric by my guy Sean Kerner, and like they've been the luckiest. I mean everyone knows that. I mean they but some of that goes to coaching, I mean, and that's what they were my favorite season win total over before the season because I thought the coaching upgrade, they went from really bad to really good. And they also had horrible injury luck last year. The injuries are now a bit concerning, you know, tight end to just a lot of guys out that are blocking for you at once. But I mean Look, they beat the Panthers by three at home, they beat you know, they come back to beat the Titans on the road by one. They lose the Cooper rush. They beat the Bears one possession at home. They come back and beat the Packers that they were down double digits the fourth quarter. They down double digits the fourth quarter against the Ravens, like they got dominated that game was like seven to three and a half yards per play. Come back again to beat the Giants. They're outscoring teams fifty five to ten in the fourth quarter if you remove an intentional safety. Just insane. So eventually that luck is gonna run up. But they're well coached and so yeah, from a number of perspective, I can't really get here, but it's an awful spot for the Giants. Like you know, the back to back road games from Jacksonville out the Seattle. Historically, teams haven't done that well. And I think this and the Giants defense has not been good. They are like last week, they get up seven yards per play some not only about seventeen points. There's a lot of holes there. Gino has looked good against the Blitz too, and that's all the Giants they're gonna play man and they're gonna play Blotz dude, the two highest rates in the league. So I'd be more confident in the Seahawks offense here, although now you have an injury to one of your best receivers, so it's yeah, this is this is a weird game for me because it's two teams that have definitely overperformed. But the interesting thing to me, the interesting unit in this game is the Seahawks defense. And they were horrendous. I thought they were gonna be one of the worst in the league, and they were thirty first DVOI JUSTI for opponent up until the past two weeks, and then over the past two weeks they're number one in the NFL. Yeah, and they played with the de Charters and the Cardinals, and they have some of these young corners, so like you could point to reasons why they would be improving. They got a lot of young pieces Dreik Wooland on one side is everyone talks about Sauce Gardner. He is turning into a shutdown cornerback, same mold of the like Richard Sherman. He's the long, lanky cornerback that Pete Carroll's always loved. You got Kobe Bryant in the slot, and you know they're Their defense is playing a lot better and it wasn't against like terrible offenses like the Jets. Sorry for the dig So, I don't know. Is the Seewks defense improve. It's again, it's two games. There's a lot of noise. Weird things happen in the NFL on a week week basis. But I'm interested in watching with the Seahawks defense does over the next few games. I don't mind taking the Giants on the number. My gut and the spot says the Seahawks get it done. But you can make a case for either side. Tough game.
Speaker 1: I'm inclined to go against Matt here and bet with the Geno Smith experience, but I could see it going both ways. I completely agree this is going to be a tough one here.
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Seattle first half, Just go Seattle. You what about Seattle? Just bet Seattle first half before the Giants sports down voodoo comes into effect.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really good idea.
Speaker 1: But that is going to do it for us here, Stucky, Thank you so much for joining us today one more time, where can people find you and all the great work you're doing around the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Stucky too on Twitter and on the Action Network at just search Stucky when you're on there, and I'm I think that's a campus podcast college football if you're into that. That'll be out tomorrow actually Nework Podcasts for NFL. But yeah, just check me out on Twitter mainly Stucky too. I'll let you know where you can find any of my stuff on a weekly basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stucky one taken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Stucky's take Stucky was well I want to just Stucky, which was taken obviously. And then Stucky one was this guy and like, I've always heard that Twitter purges accounts when they're not active, but Stucky one, let's see, I haven't checked in a while. Yeah, Stucky one is still an account. June two thousand and nine, he has and I joined in like twenty ten, twenty eleven. He has one tweet on June third, two thousand and nine, and it just says mm and then period you. So like someone I think was messing like what are you up to and he's like, not much you but he tweeted it out. That's his only tweet he is like no followers, no following, and I messed it once like let me get this, Uh can I get Stucky one? But now uh always been Stucky too.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to code with the brand at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple of things. I'm in a similar boat, Matthew Friedman, just some guy March two thousand and nine, hasn't tweeted anything, thanks Friedman. Number one, similar situation, but number two the NFL pod that Stucky does with Chris Ravon where they break down the slate and they do their Sunday six pack look at Thursday Night Football. One of the best betting shows I think across the industry each week. It's one of my must listens. Absolutely love that show.
Speaker 2: And Chris Raybond also friend of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, well that is going to do it for us here one more time. Stucky, thank you so much for joining us. And this is actually going to do it for me as well, Matt. As you alluded to last week last show when we had Rufus Peabody on, I am in fact headed over to join him at Unabated and this will be my last betting Pros podcast here with you and Matt. I just wanted to say, first off, to everyone at BP, it has been an awesome experience being here with all of you, Joe, Derek, Chris, so many names, even in my short time here, but especially to you guys that have listened and been fans of the show, and absolutely most importantly to you, Matt. Working with you over the past two NFL seasons, first at FTN and then here has been nothing short of some of the most fun that I have had in this industry. And I am sorely going to miss being able to do this show with you, and I certainly know that we will keep in touch. But I truly cannot be more grateful for anything that anyone has done for my career more than I am to you and everything that you have been able to give me in terms of these opportunities to be here and doing this with you, And I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: Say a very very big thank you to you, especially yeah, in my final show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's awesome that you're going to have an opportunity to work with Rufus and Captain Jack and everyone else there innovated, so great opportunity and I'm sure you will crush it there. And yeah, you know At some point we'll have you back on the show.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it already, but for now, guys, best of luck this weekend with the NFL weekend slate, and as always, let's cash some tickets.