Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. We go to the grace of Arkansas in Frenchhill, taking out fifty nine percent. I think it is the vote against a good candidate, he joins us now in victory Frenchshill of the second Congressional district in Arkansas. Frenchchill. This nation, whatever their persuasion, yearns for the grace of Marcus Jones in French Kill. Where you have an election, you get a good result, you call up Marcus Jones, he calls you up, You say thank you, and we move on with our civics and our nation. Can we get that in a second Trump term?
Speaker 2: Morn and Paul Morning Tom. I hope so, Tom, because we won the popular vote for the first time as Republican since two thousand and four, and obviously a substantial and possibly growing electoral college victory. And if the election holds, we'll have a significant Republican majority in the Senate, and I believe we'll end up with maybe somewhere between two undred and twenty two and two hundred and twenty six seats in the House. We have turned in twenty today, so not a big majority over the two hundred and eighteen needed to control the House. But I think that sends a message let's try to work together and let's produce results for the American people. Let's not squander that popular electoral college victory and Republican majorities in the House and Senate.
Speaker 3: Congressman, what would be or what do you think the parties to do list should be at this point? Given it the Republicans now control the White House, the Senate, and potentially the House. What would to do to the switch it to look like?
Speaker 2: You know, there's so much undone Paul, This isn't where I would start, but I think it's essential politically, and that's that we need to have legislated solutions that both parties can vote for that will secure the border and reform our immigration system. We keep walking up to the edge of doing it, but not doing it. So I think that could be important in that maybe we could perform the green card system. We could have encouragement for people who want to move here and start a business. We could take care of the many, many people in this country legally awaiting a green card who've been here for years to work. Anyway, you get my point. I think that's an issue that's easily skipped over the important issues for the Trump administration going into its first one hundred days, besides confirming their leaders are using budget reconciliation to try to continue to bring federal spending down from the pandemic avalanche of spending, and pick and choose among the tax cuts that are expiring in twenty twenty five as to what to keep, and then finally work together with recent Supreme Court cases that have limited federal agency discretion under the so called Chevron deference to get in Congress working on a regulatory budget a regulatory agenda.
Speaker 1: Part of the French Shill charm is you had to meet a payroll. You ran a bank in Arkansas or two or three, I can't remember the details. French shill. We've got a banking industry in America in a jump condition. JP Morgan is up three standard deviations, up twenty dollars off of trend. Few others, the more brokerage type, you know, banking type, Gold and Sachs, Morgan, Stanley Paul doing just as well. But you know, I guess that's good for America. Are you going to see frendshill here? How can we get more growthiness with our debt and deficit off of a run rate at two point eight percent, Do we really want a boom economy?
Speaker 2: French Shill, I think we want a sustainable fiscal situation tom and we don't have that running of six or seven percent deficit the g on an annual basis. That's just not sustainable and we need to have some consensus and it's going to take by partisan leadership to do that. I hope President Trump will set that tone. Neither Vice President Harris nor former President Trump when they were campaigning, talk much about the budget deficit, in fact, maybe the opposite. And I think that's important to set that standard. It doesn't have to try to go immediately to balance, but it's can we put our current financing needs of the country on a more sustainable footing? And I think that's true in the regulatory budget as well. I think that will be positive for economic growth and for a healthy financial system.
Speaker 3: And French, I mean, I think a lot of people. You know, the polls show that the American people want Congress to deal with the deficits and the national debt, but the political will just has never seem to be there. What's needed to shift that narrative. Do you think, well, it's such.
Speaker 2: A good point. You know, the House Budget Committee last year Republicans control the House, but it voted thirty to zero, so it had all the Democrats and all the Republicans voting on the idea of a debt commission. I'm not sure that's the right approach because I think it's too broad. I would really propose that we tackle something like social security reform for the out years to assure seniors in the out years that they'll be a solid social security system, and do what Reagan and Tip O'Neil did. Tip O'Neil was the Democratic Speaker in the early eighties, Reagan in his first term. They appointed Alan Greenspan to chair a commission with an up or down vote in Congress, like the Base Closing Commission of the late eighties. Here's some reforms, here's the way to make social security sustainable. And if we tackle it like that, that puts us on a more sustainable financial footing, assure seniors in the futures about the value and capabilities of social security. And I would remind people, no one lost their election in nineteen eighty four when they voted for that. In fact Reagan got a landslide Frenchill.
Speaker 1: Last night, the FAM was gathered around watching the broadcast. We were chowing down the Tyson razorback nuggets. I mean, they were going down like nothing. A congressman in one of the cherubs said, how I told him that Frenchhill would be on the show, very excited about it. And they said, how did Bill Clinton get elected governor in Arkansas? How did Bill Clinton at thirty two years old Frenchhill grabbed sixty three percent of the vote in republican conservative Arkansas? How did that happen?
Speaker 2: Well back when he did that, it was democratically conservative Arkansas. It was a super majority of the legislature. County judges, elected officials were all Democrats in the seventies and early eighties, but they were centrists, what you might call blue dog Democrats. And Clinton put himself at the front of their parade of a forward looking, pro growth blue dog.
Speaker 1: Can the Democrats your opponent? Can they get back to a blue dog attitude?
Speaker 2: They could, but they haven't so far. I mean, I see this every year for the decade I've served in the House. They doubled down on what I call a center left progressivism that you find maybe in Brooklyn, but you don't find in Conway, Arkansas. And they try to run on it and it hadn't worked for them yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm looking here at what's going on, and you know, Paul, I think the Razorbacks sort of, you know, they sort of have a buy here, like you know, raising eleventh in the SEC. It's tough, they need more.
Speaker 2: I mean, the team to watch is Vanderbilt. The last time Vanderbilt beat Alabama was an eighty four. You got a Reagan landslide. Vanderbilt beat Alabama last year for the first time in four decades, and we get this popular vote at electoral college vote for Trump. It's too much.
Speaker 1: Take a note in the Is anybody awake in the control room? Next time? Friendshill, we got to get Damien Sasauran to have a Vanderbilt moment. Congressman, thank you so much. Congratulations to your party for a stunning election victory. It seems across America