Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and welcome to the latest edition A Dirt from the Dugout, part of the parent Dugout, which is growing by leaps and bounds. In fact, by the end of this program, Justin Mussel, we may have a new name for it. It may just be called the best show ever. I think I've heard that recently, and I think that may be the direction we go. In a reminder, we have a phenomenal guest tonight. His name is Buck show Walter. He'll join us in a moment. We invite you to please ask your questions through the chat. He's a baseball encyclopedia. We've had a lot of those on but YouTube and ex chat and justin just quickly, I'll take you back to two thousand and one in Seattle. It's the All Star Game. Buck is working with us at ESPN. We are all ESPN folks gathered in a hotel. It is the night before the All Star Game, so it's Monday. I think this pre dated home Run, Derby's or things that we were involved in. Ordered some Chinese food to the room. I got chicken in broccoli. It was delicious. I ate it. I took a nap, I woke up and my face and throat were swollen like a blowfish. I was having an allergic reaction. I'm allergic to shellfish. I called the restaurant. I said, I ordered chicken and broccoli. Was there any seafood or shellfish in there? And they said, yeah, we cook it an oyster sauce. I said, oh God, that's awful. So I immediately I immediately called my teammate Buck Showalter in the hotel and said, you need to take me to the hospital right away. And he took me to the hospital in Seattle right away. I got adrenaline and an eppie pen and whatever else they pump into you, and he and his son, who I call Ethan, which is not his name, but I call him Ethan anyway, they spent, you know, three to four hours in the hospital room with me. So in a lot of ways, our guests tonight literally help save my life. So I'm indebted to him forever. That's one of a billion Buck show Walter stories I have for you tonight.
Speaker 2: That is a great story, rab I had never heard you share that one. That's that's pretty impressive, man. And you made it, you pulled it, you pulled through for us. That's great, Buck pulled through for us.
Speaker 1: So let's uh, let's bring one of my favorite human beings on the planet onto our show, Dirt from the Dugout and invite you all at home through the YouTube and x chat to ask questions. Buck, Welcome to the best show ever. This is Dirt from the Dugout. Where our goal is, through your experiences, to help parents of ball players hear what you did your journey so that they may take some things, discard some things, but more importantly learn from you about how you got to where you got to. So welcome to the program. It's great to see you.
Speaker 3: Hey, Carl justin, nice to meet you. You know he doesn't tell the rest of that story that Carl's a handsome young man at that point, not that he isn't now, but his nose, his lips, his face, his ears, what is it? Will Smith movie remember where he took something the largic reaction? My son, My son was like eight years old. He goes, Dad, is mister Rabbit's gonna die? And I said we better get on the move because it didn't look good. But you know, there's such a good This is a great exercise. You guys do I applaud you for it. It's a I kind of shake my head sometimes. You know, I don't want to be the old guy on the front porch scream at the kids in the front yard. But you know, I have four grandsons now and I go to a lot of their games. And actually my wife makes me go stand out in left field because he's afraid I'm gonna say something. You know, I grew up in a in a especially, you know, I have a great memories of my childhood because you know, he's right out of the movie Sandlight. We had. You know, you got a T shirt. You took him out as you Marky wrote your name on the back, your number on the back of it. We only had six guys on the team. We built our own backstop and this was we called it a Dungaree League, back when East called Jeans Dunger East. And I learned how to hit the ball the other way because they couldn't put a guy in the left field. I was left hand hitter. You know, you learn how to argue, you learn how to make your point. If you pull the ball too too much, the ball went in the creek and the game was over. So you know, and I grew up in the area where you played football, baseball, basketball, football, baseball basketball, one reason why I probably stayed out of trouble. But I also grew up in Maybury. You know, twenty five hundred people. Everybody knew everybody, and it was an ideal. But you fought your fights, you know, not physically necessarily, but the whole travel ball thing, it's a sore point for me, you know, when.
Speaker 1: You're suespecially covering a million subjects, and I just I just want to for me, justin growing up when when we didn't have enough players, you actually couldn't hit it to right field because nobody's out there to get it, as opposed to I'm going to hit it to right field and I'm going to run around the bases because there's nobody out there in right field. Did you have similar situations?
Speaker 2: Justin one hundred percent, we played, uh what was called Hoggin rules. Shout out to Joe Joey conn Up and some of the some of my boys from the sandlot in baseball Park. But our role was so we would usually we were lucky buck you got six on the team, we were lucky to get like four. And the rule was oh yeah, oh yeah, ghost arms. We had huge debates over center field, so that was our cutoff on any out was like anything away, any any opposite field hit, it was automatic out. So guess who grew up as a big time pull hitter. Buck, It's all It's all I did, man. But but we it's like you said, you learn how to you learn how to handle things, You learn how to talk through things. You you have debates as friends and what happened, and you learn some true like adversity stuff on the field where no other parents are on to take over. But I want to jump in on that really quick, though, Buck, because you know we're not here to bash anything, to go into the negativity around so many things in youth sports right now. We want to lift it up. We want to be the positive people at the parent dugout. We want to be positive on the show. But I do want to ask you this, Like you were in baseball a long time, what are some of the changes that you'd love to see at the youth level if you could just flip a switch and it was changed. What are some of those things that stand out from all the stuff you've watched with your grandkids?
Speaker 3: Well, it can't happen, but I wish sometimes, you know, the parents end up being the coaches because nobody else is willing to do it. And if you have to pay for a guy. And I watched one of the travel ball teams where I know the coaches. I would hate to see how much money some of these coaches and leagues are making off these these families. And that's the subject for another day. But probably the teaching of the game alone, you know, teaching them how to have fun. You know. I took over my son's high school practice one time when he was in the tenth grade. The coach just said, you know what's going on. We don't have many guys out for baseball. I said, that's your fault. That's not their fault. Your practices, I mean, Carl, I was justin I was entertaining thirty year old Major league vectorum in spring training. I had about a twelve minute tension span. So the next day they came out and I said, hey, you guys don't need to stretch where you go on. You woke up limber when you're sixteen years old. Whoever stretched at sixteen, you know? And then I said, what do you want to do. I've always wanted to play short stuff. Go play short stuff. What about you? I want to catch. Put the gear on. We're going to play pushing them up as o two count and I'm pitching, so we're not striking out. We're running the bases. We're going to catch the ball. I said, coach, you just had a kid stand out in left field for an hour and a half picking his teeth during batting practice. It's awful. But this is great game, if you'll so to answer your question justin let's accentuate the things that make it a great game instead of making this dull drum where's my sliding pad? I saw an eight year old kid wanting to know where sliding wristband was or whatever. But Carl, you see it at the Little League World Series. They're emulating what.
Speaker 1: They see, no question. Yeah, there's no question. They pattern They pattern bat flips and other things off of you know, major leaguers. Let me ask you this question because we've had many people on this program who emphasize the fun in the game, which you just did, which is great and we echo that for everybody. But what was your first affair with the sport love? Like did you love baseball from jump Street or did did it evolve? Did you begin to love it as opposed to the first few times you were there. How would you describe your relationship with baseball when you were young.
Speaker 3: Carl, I loved them all. I you know, it was a very I was just competitive, you know, my dad and I'm never They never pushed. They never pushed me at anything. But they made it available to me when we you know, I had three sisters. We didn't have a pot to pee in. It was uh, you know, it was pretty close ranks, but they somehow always made it available. It might have been a back, you know, second hand glove or a taped up bat, but I had what I needed. But I just loved, uh being outside and playing with the guys and competing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you didn't necessarily care baseball, football, soccer, basketball, tennis. It just give me a ball, give me something and we're good to go. Hey, you want to say something before we get to some of the questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got one thing. I will tell you this. Through the years, I've become a real you know, I look at bios a lot of players I get in the big leagues, and I spent a lot of time looking at the bios, and the one common denominator of the really good players that they played multiple sports. They weren't year round baseball. There's exceptions to every thing, you know. I asked a pitcher one time, what positions you play when you didn't pitch? He goes, well, I didn't, I go, excuse me, that guy didn't last too long. If I see guys who have played multiple sports or are well rounded, and their shoulders and elbows and knees take some time off from the pounding of baseball, they're usually better player at the major league and the college level. I want those guys that have played multiple.
Speaker 1: Sports, right, yeah, great, great answer, great? All right, So, Buck, the beauty of what we do here is we allow our members to ask questions of you. It's great access, and then they're really good questions. So our first question comes from Chan and he says, Buck, you know, we appreciate you much for being on here. And the question is what strategies do you think are essential for building a successful baseball team? Not a player, because I think you've shed some light on that, but strategies for building a successful baseball team.
Speaker 3: Well, I think You've got to find players who matter, that's what their teammates think. That's one thing I've always tried to do was, you know, I was a ship passing the night the way I looked at it. You know, managers come and go, and the shelf life gets shorter of head coaches and sports. But I wanted to find guys that their pure pressure meant something to them, and then you sup ground them with the right peers. I was picky about picking who was around these guys. Parcels had a great line years ago. You want me to cook dinner, but you don't want to pick the groceries. And I worry a lot of times that guys don't know what they're looking for. And you see it now. But I always want to surround myself with people that wanted to please each other.
Speaker 2: Good answer, that's really good, buck. I want to share something And this is something that I wish I could have done a little bit more. But in my time, in my time with the Brewers, one of the things that I was always wanting to do is talk with the coaching staff more about what did they want? Uh, you know, big, big part of my role completely almost has focused on the domestic draft, and I always wanted to know, like, what what are you? What do you guys want? What are you looking for? Do you think that's a missing link in today's game between the coaches on the field and the front offices, because it, yeah, go ahead, Buck, I.
Speaker 3: Just you know, I always talk about your identity. Who are you if you've played half the season and your team doesn't have an identity of what you're about. But that comes from having a clear message to the scouts in front of the coaches, this is who we are, this is I liked it. In Baltimore. We went through periods where we'd see a player and the guys would go, ow, he's a nice player, but he doesn't fit us. He's not a plus defendery, not a you know, a smart baseball player. So I think have an identity and letting people know what you what they'd like for you to look for. This is what we all. You know, we're all looking at the same analytics. So what's the separator? It's what you choose to wait. Maybe you wait on base percentage, but you know what do you choose to wait? Well, we choose to wait makeup defense and intelligence. You know, baseball intelligence and it takes a human being to make that evaluation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, which doesn't really doesn't require a lot of mind reading because you know who we are, so you don't need to really come and ask me. We like makeup, we like defense, we want pitching, we need athletes. Good answer. Here's a question from Don Bucky says, after spending decades around the game, what's one thing and remember this is for parents of players of all ages, is there one thing you wish every baseball parent understood?
Speaker 3: H You know, the coach doesn't get up in the morning. I told the guy one time. You know, I don't get up in the morning trying to figure out a way to to hurt you. You know, I'm really trying to put the best team out on the field. I may be wrong, but there's really not a vindictums about it, and we sometimes I think we need to quit taking it so seriously. It's easy for me to say, you know, and the whole scheme of things, you know, your child. I tell players all the time, the greatest two challenges you're going to have just to be a good father and be a good husband. And I think that impact you have on that the kids will serve them a lot better than whether or not something quite well in a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and Buck, I want to I want to go to ninety five. Okay, So I'm a kid, I'm a huge, huge griffy guy who isn't right at that time as a youngster, you're you're you play.
Speaker 1: I think probably probably wasn't a big griffic guy at that point.
Speaker 2: I understand I was so bug probably in my mind, one of the greatest eeries of all time. And you're on the other end of that, on the losing end of that. But I think we talk about it a lot on here. It's the adversity, the ability to overcome things and the challenges that you face. And the game has some highs and it has some lows. What's your advice for people coming, for players, coaches, parents, maybe watching listening. What's your advice for handling that adversity? What do you say when you get to the clubhouse that night after that heartbreaking loss, where you know, maybe the country is happy for the Mariners, right, the sort of the underdogs, and you guys are the big Yankees, the big powerful Yankees. What is that like walking into the clubhouse and how do you handle that adversity, and what's your advice to other people on how to handle adversity?
Speaker 3: You know, looking back at that, you know, we did win two games in that series, but it really was the other way around, looking back, because they had like four or five Hall of Famers on that team, and because they played and said a lot of people didn't know. And I look back on that as that helped get baseball back from where it was during the strike year. That's the first time I heard a lot of people say we started loving baseball again. So that that's but you know, I don't want anybody to ride that plane from Seattle back to New York. That was tough, but you know, you learn. You learn a lot of stuff from that about yourself and about people and and how fleeting everything is. Let's face it, guys. Leadership is basically about defining reality. And if you define enough reality along the way, you're probably going to tick off some people and you're gonna be job hunting. Okay, So you know, it doesn't keep you from doing the right thing, but I just you know, you had to keep defining reality. It's like a father and a mother. It's tough. You know my Luckily, my dad didn't want to be my pal. He wanted to be my father, and sometimes those two don't mix the same way with coaching.
Speaker 1: I think part of that for me covering the sport for that many years, that the Marinders teams of the nineties, especially the nineties and early two thousands, they may have beat the Yankees, they were probably, I think collectively the biggest disappointment, and that they didn't win a World Series given the talent that they had to kind of support Buck's point about just how good you know the players were. Here's one from Danny Buck says you joined the Diamondbacks twenty eight months before they ever played a game. I remember, I remember being there for the expansion draft. But the question is what's it like building something completely from scratch, no players, no history, no fan base. And I think the story that you tell about the decision you made in New York with regards to your coaches and taking a new contract or not which led you to Arizona is as good a story that you can tell. But answer the question and then maybe if you want combine the two of them, because that was a justin Buck had to make a really big decision which led him to Arizona.
Speaker 3: Well, basically, it came down to mister Steinburn and wanted to fire four of my coaches. I never complained about We all knew the job description in New York. I'd been there nineteen years, so people didn't want to hear you complain about it, and it just you know, you were working on a day to day contract. But I knew that I couldn't set foot in the locker room and look those players in the face, knowing I'd given up four great coaches who ended up having thirty year careers. So we took them to Arizona. But if someone called me and said, hey, we'd like for you do the expansion lead the expansion deal again, I'd go almost died out there. I have never worked hard in my life. Those two years off the field. I'm talking about minor leagues, Japan, Korea, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Cuba, you name it. We were everywhere the scouting, the expansion drafts and getting on this field in spring training. You know, our first spring training was in you, Arizona, because there have been to you Arizona in the spring pool. Baby, but you know you know. We had to design the Tucson Complex, the Springtran Complex, designed the locker room, everything, put the scouting department together and the player development, and it was a great education for me. Luckily, I brought a lot of that with me from New York. But it was a challenge. It was a challenge, but one that I'm very proud of what we accomplished. I think we had the biggest turnaround in baseball history the ninety nine season and took a lot of pridet I was with Carl the night that the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees. I was out in the left field and walked back to my hotel listening to the diamonback fans after Game seven, realizing I lost my Navy d out in Arizona. I carried it with me, but I kind of lost it there.
Speaker 1: Said yeah, well, Buck didn't win a World Series. But the truth was Buck won a few World Series in.
Speaker 2: My opinion, yep, well yeah, yeah, Buck. What is that like to work so hard for so long and the pinnacle is what you do it for, right? Obviously it's the relationships and the other things that you think about later, but when you're in it, the whole goal is to win at all. Yeah, is there do you feel that missing piece from your career?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. You know, that's a good question. I don't. I feel for I feel good for other people. You know, life's too short. You know, Joe Tory got exposed to what a good baseball guy he was. You know, I look at a lot of things that happened with Ron Washington, for instance, and yeah, it just you know, things happen for a reason. I don't dwell on it, and I'm just glad that some other things happened well. And I've been completely lucky and honored to be in this game for a long time. It's been very good to me and my family. And heck, I met my wife of forty three years in this game, so you know, it worked out. I'm not going to sit around and say what if. I'm just happy for the people that I had a lot of help along the way. Boy did I have a lot of help. And I was. I'm pretty good at picking good people and getting out their way and letting them do what they I know that they can do. The great greatest accolade you can pay one of these guys is they're asked their opinion or ladies. We had some great women that worked with us through the years that were instrumental and what we did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and to your point, it's such a I do think we as people evolve over time. I mean, you can be a child rooting for the team, and if you're involved, if you're lucky enough to be involved in this game, in this sport, whether you're covering it, playing it, managing it, eventually you come to appreciate how hard it is. And then you root for people. You don't necessarily root for the name the uniform, you root for the name on the back. You root for the people. And I think, uh, you know, that's a that's a great perspective that you know that Buck shares an important at every level. You know, root for other teams. Sometimes when you see the root for the kid that's playing, that's that's really important. They're all in this thing together and it's damn hard to play this game. Voice ask Buck, if you could go back and manage one game differently in your entire career, do you have one and what would you change? Or is honestly it's like me doing a show. There's a million shows I'd like to do over again. Of course is that true with games?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what that's where you learn along the way. You know, we've all stepped on our tail. I just don't want to repeat them. Uh. You know, I learned as much from managers I played for and worked with about what not to do as I learned from guys about what to do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I just i'd see a situation handled just a personal from personal nature. I go, you know, there's a better way to handle that situation. There's another mode of communication there. And I don't you know, I wish sometime when we walked very bonds with the bases loaded, I said to the media afterwards in San Francisco, I go, I wish we could evaluate whether that gave us the best chance to win instead of the results. And I know we live in a result oriented society. Wouldn't be great if we go, you know what, regards of how this works out, it's well thought out. It gives us the best chance to win. Oh, by the way, Brent Maine hit a home run and we lost. I'm okay with that. I'm at peace with that. If I've done my homework and I've given our team the best chance to win. And I never made a vindictive personal decision where you know you're mad at somebody. You can't. You can't. First of all, you can't be married for forty three years and have that. So you know, I've just learned through the years. You do your work, you make an educated decision, and sometimes you got to do it with your heart and your head, you know. Will they say, be careful about telling truths that hurt innocent people. I've had to cover for some things that would have made me look a lot probably better, but it's gonna pull somebody underneath the bus, so I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Buck says a lot of things, justin that we sit in the green room with him, I will say that I think one of the things I remember most that he has said is, you know, hey, Carl, just because a decision is made and it works out doesn't necessarily mean it was the right decision. And just because the decision you make doesn't doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong one. I've used that. I've used that weekly, if not daily, because I make a lot of decisions and some of them don't work, But it doesn't mean it was the wrong one. It's it's a great hill to sort of fall back on.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's hard. You get tested. You get tested sometimes, especially when you bite your lip, and there are things you know, and you know, dealing with the media twice a day for almost two hundred straight days counting spring training, there's so many opportunities to step on your tail along the way. But if you and I tell guys all the time I go, think about the weight and your words carried, you know, and the reflection they're going. That was what was so great about Derek g through the years, all the chances he had to deflect, you know, he never embarrassed his family, he never embarrassed organization, and he never embarrassed his teammates. And there's so many avenues that they try to lead you down because that's their job. But I dealt with the media lote and it really helped me through the years that we're all trying to survive and we're all trying to bring something that we're responsible for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Buck, when you look at just the perspective you talked about, you know, cheering for others and being happy for others, I think we've almost created an environment in our society right now, in youth sports in general, where it's it's very driven on self and very driven on ego, and it's also very driven on you wanting your kid to be better than the next one.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: We've seen this dissipate a little bit where I don't know about you guys, but when I played Little League, every parent was cheering you. It wasn't we'd want we want justin to do bad so that my kid looks better. It's become an environment where I can't say that across the board. Of course there are people that still do that, but I want to I want to touch on that a little bit, Buck, because I think it's one of the missing pieces that would really bring the youth sport of baseball back a little bit closer if we if we all could see the opponent as a kid and out playing a game and you know, being happy for them when they succeed, instead of you know, maybe getting loud and cheering against them and making comments. What is your take on some of that stuff that we kind of see all too often now infiltrating the youth and high school levels of parent involvement in the stands and the fights and the shouting at the other teams. What is your take on that and and what is your advice to any parent listening or watching.
Speaker 3: Well, you know one thing you can't hide in a sport you play as often as baseball as sincerity. You know you can't hide sincerity. And is someone you know it's like a coach. I tell them, see how much fun your team can have today, tomorrow and the impact you'll have on that. What can they not wait to get to your practice? Can they not wait to get to a game? And how is that? Because there's such a positive and some of these kids come from situations where not everything's positive at home for whatever, it should be a utopian reprieve for them while they're at your field working with your team. You know, I loved working with my son's high school team. I was the groundskeeper. I painted the foul pos with my wife, I helped drag the field. I loved it, loved it. But I try to stay away from coaching, but I did. I did delve in there a little bit. Let me tell you one little story that I had a scout come back. One time we sent him in to watch a player seventeen years old. I really high pick supposedly, And I said, what do you got? He goes, well, we got rained out and I said, well, what do you guy? He said, what do you mean got rained now? I no, no, no, no no. I said, did you sit with the mom and dad? And you know, did you meet their brother and sister? Did you go to the homeroom teacher to go to the guidance counselor what kind of truck does he drive? Did you meet his girlfriend? Does he have brown eyes? Does he have slender waste? How long over his fingers? A bunch of little things, because statistically and all the other stuff is easy making the decisions about you know, how does he interact with his teammates? Watch how he treats his sister. I remember the first time Derek Jeter came to Yankee Stadium. We had just drafted him one hundred and eighty pounds, soaking wet, and I'm being nice. But the way that he interact with his sister, his mom and his dad, and the alert eyes he had taking in things around him without running his mouth while he was taking it in. But I love the way. And I said to myself, there's gonna be a lot of challenges for Derek, but handling New York City. He's got a strong base there and sometimes you have as a coach you have to be that base. I dealt with a lot of players where I had to be that tough love guy, you know. I know with Manto it was tough.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about Manavi Child at a moment. Want to remind everybody. You want to get out of the house, you want to go watch a game, you want to go to a concert. The way to do it is to use seat geek. You want to have thirty five million plus downloads, seventy seventy thousand events that are listed on seat geek, including as I mentioned, concerts, sports, festivals, and a whole lot more. MLB is in full swing. The other seasons are over, but the other sports are soon to start again. That's how we work. Football of course is coming as well. You can go to the app on your phone and seat geek has got your back. By the way, dirt from the dugout would remind everybody. You can use territory ten for ten percent off MLB tickets on seat geek. Use code territory ten for ten percent off on MLB tickets on seat geek And of course you can scan the QR code right on your screen, all right, So it's quite clear that Buck enjoyed, you know, the Jeter experience, the two New York's, the Texas is, the Baltimore's all that. There's questions out here, and I think this, knowing your scouting background, I think it's an interesting one because you talk about clubhouse culture and Mark as is there a clubhouse story? And this is without giving away any secrets, but is there a story that you've never really been asked to tell that captures what major League Baseball is really like? Meaning like what can you share some of the things that people who don't cover the game and don't get a chance to get inside the clubhouse don't know?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there's not many secrets, and like I said, you know, the sincerity shows up very quickly. If you try to be as these guys, it's not going to work. So you know, every spring I would have a talent show and I wouldn't make anybody participate in it wasn't some rookie hazing. I hate rookie hazing. I did not allow it. Here's somebody wearing your uniform gonna try to help us win, You're gonna make their path harder. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. You know, That's one of the things we did getting u Mel Hall away from Bernie Williams. You know, sometimes your best additions are your subtractions. I learned that too. But you know, we had we had this talent show, and we we had it in the afternoon of a night game, and we had some really interesting stuff, and I think the ability to take something out of there. I gotta tell you, I remember two guys made the team because of the talent show. Ryan Flaherty. I think Ryan Flaherty went out and rented these monkeys from the zoo that throw baseballs back and forth. I got fined for by the Health department. The animal cruelty thing got out. We got fined. It was the best money I ever spent. But these two monkeys throwing a baseball on the stage brought the brought the house down. Then we had TJ. McFarlane. His impersonation of Dick Buckets was one of the all times greats. But the best one was was with the Mets. Was a singer, took the time to get to know. It's a whole New World in English, and he got one of the cooks out of that gets him to sing it with him. And Max Scherzer and de Grom were the judges, and they brought the place down, stopped it, and gave him the first place the guts to get on the stage and do that in broken English. I got a hundred of those. But there's so many ways you can learn about players, and you'll just open your eyes, shut your mouth and listen. I used to love to walk the field during batting practice, and I'm now you can't hardly get them to hit outside. But I used to spend a lot of time with the bullpen guys. That's where I learned about handling a bullpen and just talking to him, Hey, what bothers you? What doesn't bother you? And I think the line the communication. Every once in a while, somebody will say something that you didn't think was very sharp. You went, wow, I didn't even think about that. That's pretty good. You got to have an open mind about it. Analytically, these guys would say, hey, yeah, bring it in there. Buck wants all that information, but he's gonna ask you one question, how does it help us win? Tonight. How does it help us win a game instead of you trying to cut out some niche because analytics, everybody's looking at the same numbers.
Speaker 1: Pal Yep, yeah, you hear that a lot, now, don't you. I mean that is I think Craig Breslow just said it the other day. And a deal he made, He's like, everybody's looking at the same information ultimately smarter to your point. His point about the deal he made for meat and gave up the picture early was I'm trying to win win for our team. The numbers may not suggest this is the smartest thing, but I'm trying to make our team better. We have a need. It serves the need. Let's see where we go. The idea is it's just going to help us win, you know, Carls, that's.
Speaker 3: One way the game change. It used to be you wanted whoever you traded with to be happy with the player they got from you. It was like, you know, you're always trying to win the trade. Ninety nine to one, you're not going to make any trade. But if you're fair in things. It's the same way with players. You know, if you're fair with them, if you lie to them, you're done. If you tell them truth and they hurts them down the road, they'll come back to you. But boy, do don't try that other one.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, buck.
Speaker 2: When you look at just the grand scheme of where we're at, though, do you see in Major League Baseball specifically, do you see that flowing back? Because I know on May end I see a little flow back now to a little bit more reasonability, the human elements of it. And what does that mean for scouting because we know how trimmed that those scouting departments have gotten now in a lot of organizations, what is your take on the ten fifteen years from now.
Speaker 3: I still don't think. I still think there's no substitute for boots on the ground, the person that goes and talks to the homeroom teacher and talks to the teammates. And this is how you make When the numbers in the in the statistics and analytics match up with the human element of it, you've got a really good deal and a really good player, you know. And then if it's like this, now you got to decide. But anything that overweights in an organization that says this this methodology will never be something we consider you lose me at Hello because there's exceptions to everything. Nobody's that smart, and the game's played with a heartbeat by players with a heartbeat, and otherwise it'd be so boring to watch. You know, sometimes things happen and we go where did that come from? That's unexpected. That's what makes it fun. You're dealing with human beings. These are the best players in the world, so that the you know, the difference between the Colorado Rockies and the Dodgers is not nearly as much as you may think it is because the psyche. The psyche really plays on you, and if you can get a mentality, things can change.
Speaker 1: So for parents at home. For parents at home, Buck, you've you've alluded to this a couple of times. You know, it's raining. What did you what did you observe about his behavior? Would you observe about the car he was driving? The home room. I don't want to think that there's sort of a top ten list for Buck as far as characteristics or traits. The question that I'm getting at for parents out there, Buck, can you train your kid to have these qualities? Are they born with these qualities? Can they develop whatever these qualities that clearly appeal to you are.
Speaker 3: I would be careful of these coaches that rent by the hour. Okay, you know there's some really good ones too. It's just for the most part, you know, you be that coach, you be that parent. You know, the biggest thing you can teach them is how they treat other people and how everything comes back. You know, the skills are going to be the skills. You know, if baseball is a game of repetition and athletics. I think one of the reason why I was pretty good in a lot of sports is that I didn't play them all the time. Does that make any sense. I never got burnt out on baseball. I never got burnt out on football, or basketball or golf. I loved you know, the differences in all the games, and you know, the competition. There's nobody more competitive than me. But you also had to learn that things didn't always work out the way you warned them to.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It was painful, but yeah, you can train. You know, there's a certain way to do it. Please make it fun for them. You're a child only one time. You're a child one time. Make sure they look back on their childhood and their upbringing. I harp with my two kids. You know, I've got four grandsons, and believe me, I I treat them a lot different than I treated my kids. I let them bother with everything.
Speaker 2: Buck, I want to I want to ask you a little bit about the that you're managing days here with you. I mean, you had the I mean you had you You had some unbelievable players that you managed in your career. We'll just put it that way, some Hall of famers, some unbelievable talents. Not just the talent side of it, but how was it managing them and in sort of the profiles that they bring versus maybe the guy that's only going to be up for three months and you know he's not going to stick. How did you handle that as you as you worked your way through as a manager. And what would your advice be to some coaches out there on how to handle, you know, the star player versus the other players. And did you want to have individual sort of approaches or did you still keep a team approach. I'd love your take on that. From all of your years and all the players that I mean you managed, well, you know.
Speaker 3: You don't treat them all the same. You treat them all fairly. You know, what's fair for Don manningly may not be fair for a twenty year old Bernie Williams. You know, I had Deon Sanders in the big leagues. In the minor leagues, I had him. You know, I had Machado, and you know Randy Johnson and Kurk Shilling and I mean just some great players that grace my path. But you know, I think it's the peripheral guys. I call them the what if players that separate you and you never know when you're gonna need them, And all of a sudden, you know that guy you're accounting on is not going to be there for a hundred games, and what are you going to do? Because the league doesn't stop and wait for you to catch up. So the way you treat people, that golden rule works really good, because all of a sudden you need that guy so U and a lot of you know, communication doesn't mean you speak to them every five minutes. It means you tell them what they need to hear. You know, I remember my coach in college. He went for a week and a half didn't say a word to me. And I'll tell I'll tell y'all I was leading the nation and hitting and finally one day I said, coach Pocus, everything all right? Did I do something wrong? Goes? You need me to kiss your ear all the time. You know, I'll let you know when you're not doing something right. You're you're you're holding your own pre fine, So everything's good. Some guys need that and some guys don't need that, you know, and understanding everybody's psyche's a little different what their needs are because you're there to serve their needs. Okay, what Manny Machado needs may not be what JJ Hardy needs. You know. Everybody's different, Thank god they are. If they were all the same, we wouldn't have a job. But you know, I just you know, instead of I had one sign up in our clubhouse. All it said was play better. I didn't want to hear about in the New Cockneys saying is the Bence Lombardi and all that stuff. It never made a player better. They're usually in the weight room. I had one two words that said play better. Now the fans don't want to hear it. Nobody want. You know, whatever fair or not fair, it doesn't matter. Figure out how to play better.
Speaker 1: That's all that try harder, try harder, play better. Two words here we go, Buck, This is this is sort of in your wheelhouse. It's it's sort of roster creativity. The question is should MLB let teams make four starting pitchers inactive each game so they can carry thirteen active pitchers? Would it protect arms or just create more pitching changes. You know, that's a very specific question. If you have an answer about managing or the way you would like to see Major League Baseball use arms, feel free to go that direction too. But the question has to do with it.
Speaker 3: You know. We gotta understand. We started out with nine or ten guys you broke camp with, and then it became eleven, Then it became twelve. Now it's thirteen. And every day you pick up the transition, transactions and pictures are moving. You have to have an optionable bullpen. I actually think that if they would decrease the number of pictures you could carry, they would stay healthier and you would start looking for a different type of picture down there. You remember the thing they called a longer lever. Every good club I had had a great longer lever on it. I remember I had Dave McFarland, great longer lever it's spots starter, but you know, it was very important to keep the togetherness of your team. We're getting ready to have the Chris Davis is going in the Ooral Hall of Fame here in Maryland, and just about the whole bullpen is going to be there. That stayed intact for like five or six years. And it wasn't something I did necessarily. It was just each guy had something they brought. But I worry about the constant. I actually think that's a pretty good idea. If the way I understand it is that you basically this keeps the movement back and forth at TRIPAA. You want the tough job, guys go managing Triple AVERY. I think that's the toughest job in baseball now, is managing the Triple A, because you know, twenty minutes for the game, they go, hey, you can't start your starter. We may need tomorrow, you know, and the number of pictures they're carrying. But I do I like the idea. We tried to go with four starters in Arizona, but we couldn't make a trade and we couldn't sign a free agent, and we were going to do that with all our minor league guys. But sometimes I think if we decrease the number of pictures were allowed to carry that, you know, they might stay healthier.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, let's get to let's get to Ryan's question here, because this one's really about Ravvy. So Ryan said, thanks for a question, Ryan, but he says, all right, Buck Gravey told the story about how you saved his life. In all the years you've known RAVI, what's the best story you can share with us?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Please? And you understand we did the College World Series together. The great event had a lot of fun. You know, you really think you you think you know somebody until you're with them at one thirty in the morning doing the last Sports Center Baseball Tonight or a Sunday Baseball Today's show. There were some late nights when the closer we had these we had these nine camera uh monitors over here, and John the Great John Cruck robb NN had blown about four saves in row. So now we got to get this last out in the can and we all get to go home and drive through Taco Bell. Okay, the only thing open in Bristol Becker And believe me, John Cruck liked this Taco Bell about that time, Carl says, and we're almost done in San Francisco, and you hear the rabbits go, I mean, uh, cruck go geeve you this brightly. You said a few other things on live TV. And Carl, without missing the beat, goes and evidently robbin Inn has blown another save. I had, Carl, you remember the night I took Harrol out on the stage.
Speaker 1: I was gonna bring that up. Tello. Just tell everybody that's it. It's one of the great stories of all time. We're in a studio. I'll just set up the studio. The studio has got it's not a hard word floor, but it's a hard floor. There's no grass. The MLB network now has these really cool fields that you can demonstrate stuff on. We did not. We had a fairly large studio. We made up a field. We had bases on the field, but it was a very like like that's what the floor was like. Go ahead, I tell this story. This is all class.
Speaker 3: So there was a Rivet there too, So I told him we were talking about turning double plays back when you could really chase a guy and hit him anyway you want to. Obviously, Herold's the second baseman. So we're going to demonstrate coming into second base. Now, how Harold keeps from getting hit. So I told the camera CROs says, when we got one shot at this and I'm gonna knock him on his rear. They went, what Carl, Carl? You know, Carl goes go for it. So we got this old burlap sack there and Carl feeds feeds, uh Harold ball. I said, hang him out just a little bit, Carl, hang him out just a little in other words, for him, a little bit of a change up where you don't get it to him too quick. So I come running down there in a two piece suit, okay, tie and everything, and I get him. I give him just and I split my hands down the side on the rivet and you know, you know that's that We won an Emmy that year for the show. And that's the clip they sent in.
Speaker 1: It's right over my shoulder I have right now. That's how you got he took He literally took him out ass over tea kettle in the middle of a in the middle of a live show. He wiped out Harold, and Harold's like, what do you what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He still hasn't forgiven me still hasn't.
Speaker 1: Talking about all the time. Yeah, talked about all the time. Here's just here's just a thought. Boy. This is a good one that comes in from one of your fans who doesn't really have a question, But it never hurts because I do think I think everybody needs and likes positive affirmation in any event. They say, Hey, look, we just want to tell Buck how much we miss him in Baltimore. We appreciate everything you did for us, uh and the city. He brought winning and exciting baseball back after some tough years. So Buffett, thank you very much for sending that into Buck.
Speaker 3: Buck.
Speaker 1: We on this program, we're about set to kind of start to wrap it up. We do what's called the kitchen sink. So these questions don't necessarily have to do with baseball. They're kind of quick hitters just to get your thoughts. Uh. So I'll start this four of them, and the first, the first question that comes on the kitchen sink, sort of out of nowhere, is what's your best George Steinbrenner story.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you know this is one. It's nothing. You just had to be there. I had a great coach, Brian Butterfield. I took with me to to On as one of the guys Miss Steinber and won a fire. Years later, my first year managing, It's seven thirty in the morning, we're going over the schedule. Steinbrenner walks in, turns to Brian Butterfield and goes you out. And Cleet Barrier and Frank Howard are in there, and he didn't ask them to leave. He just told the rookie coach Mike, one of my best friends, you leave, So Frank, howd them go in there? And they take down Butter's uh name tag and put you e we like the lamb and the rest of the spring they called him coach you and finally stem Better asking him one time, he goes, I thought his name was Butterfield. What do you got? You guys keep calling him you and and they and you know, Frank, he wasn't fraid anything. Well, mister Stunbentner, Uh you know, you called him you and we thought maybe we had his wrong name. I got plenty he called. He called me in one night. I'll stop right there though he was. But you had to know the job description. If you didn't know what was coming, then you you hadn't been watching, right.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man, that's awesome. All right, let's get to the next one. Here. Is there a proper way to cut the outfield grass?
Speaker 3: I don't like the crisscross. Anybody that says the ball doesn't snake when it's coming to you hasn't played in the outfield. All these beautiful designs you see where the socks, the sock is cut in Fenway Park. Outfielder's nightmare. They hate it. That's another change I'd make. I'd make all you know, all these groundskeeper that do all these fancy cuts, it's a nightmare for outfielders.
Speaker 1: I love that. I knew that that's a good hot take. I knew the outfield grass would get there. That's one of the all time great field maintenance guys. If you ever, honest to God, if you ever needed somebody to take care of your field, that's the guy right there that I would hire. He is absolutely the best.
Speaker 3: Carl. I gotta tell you one on myself. Opening day Arizona. If you'll notice the game started eight minutes late. Jim Quicks behind the plate, first game in diamond back history. I had asked Mark Connor Pitton goes, do anything I can do to help the pitchers here, and he goes, yeah, he didn't get them to stand in the batter's box. They go, what do you mean? You know? The first thing guys doing they get up there is they start digging the chalk away and they end up getting about three inches deeper in the box. Well, three inches is a lot for a fastball, so I thought, and I thought I had two years. I took a two by four the width of the back of the batter's box, and I buried it like a half an inch below the back the dirt line. So, in other words, when Hard Barnard with the San Francisco Giants is digging out the dirt, he keeps digging, he keeps coming up white, white, white white. Because I got a Jim quick looks over. He looks over and Barnard's spikes start hitting wood, and he calls me out, and I go, I made a mistake, Carl saying with Jim, we're just trying to help you enforce the rules.
Speaker 1: I never heard that story. That's a great one.
Speaker 3: That so we we had to get Grant Trimbeth out and dig up the back of the batter.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. I'd never heard that. All buck. Here's the next one, kitchen and sink. Do the do the many donkeys uh you have at the farm? Do they have names?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, well we used to have Teddy, Teddy and uh in days you were at the other farm, and then we moved them. Uh now they're both. I don't know. We like them. My wife likes them. I swear that when I'm gone, she lets them in the house and they sit in the easty chairs just like any other are What are their names, Carl? It makes her happy? Okay, I answered, Finn, Finn and Oliver.
Speaker 1: Right, so not baseball names, Finn and Oliver.
Speaker 3: You know, you know she she kisses that donkey, Morgon, who kisses me? There's two jackass she kisses every day.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Let's get to the next one. Last one here, then we're gonna get to your m v P. But favorite analysts to work with on ESPN.
Speaker 1: Favorite analyst? Who is your favorite?
Speaker 3: You know you realize how one thing about Let me tell you one last one on Carl. If you weren't prepared and you weren't good at what you did, Carl had so much pride in that show. And if you just showed up and I won't name a Hall of Famer that would just show up like we the world and ESPN owed him a job, Carl would bury you on the air in his own way. Like you would say something passing, Carl would stop the show and go explain, explain what you meant by saying that, uh uh we Carl took so much pride in the show that if there was an ant, it wasn't bringing it. And I'm not talking about intelligence or baseball now, I'm just talking about it didn't work at his job. You were not gonna like the end of the show. I'm talking, but I was. I had the great Tim Kirchen, you know, the great uh you know with Buster Olie of course John Crook Carl together combination that was must. Every once in a while, I catched myself on the air just watching and listening to them, and they go, Buck, are you going to bring anything? I said, no, I'm listening to these two guys.
Speaker 1: They were great. Yea, we we had an amazing team that it was a great, great show. Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: Carl One on Chris Berman first hit I did on Sports Center, he goes, here's the deal. I'm gonna talk. I got some things to get out. When I run out of breath, you talk, That's it. I kept waiting until he ran out of breath and finally went, okay, but what do you think.
Speaker 1: The other the other great boom the other great Berman story, Buck, I know you know this one, but this involves Krucky. So it's a it's Kyle Losche is on the mound, and Kyle Losch has a pretty good game, must have gone six innings or whatever. And you know, usually the host asks a question of the analyst. In this case, Boomer or Berman would say to Buck, when I'm done talking, Utah. In this instant, kruck is sitting next to him, and kruck has really not experienced the Chris Berman experience very often. So Kyle Losh gives him, let's say, six and two thirds of one run ball, two hits, seven k's and Boomer looks at looks at looks at Krucky and says, Krucky, Kyle Losche, we knew, but we didn't know. And Cruck's like, what do I do with that? What does that mean? And he looked at him and he said, what is that? We knew, but we didn't know. It's like his own language. And cru Kruck was the other great Cruck story too. For some reason, we decided to eliminate people and we got these cameras that were robotic, and Kruck and I are doing a show at a studio and the robotic camera continues to move in on Kruck like this, and he keeps going and it ends up banging into the set. There's nobody controlling it, like the robotics have gone haywire, and Kruck thought he was being attacked by a camera. We can tell stories about the set.
Speaker 3: Let me get one more, so John Cruck. Most people put a dude not disturbed sign. We all stayed. He had a sign made up and said marinating, don't disturb, perrinating. So we're there. When we used to do the show called Baseball Today, and you got to understand, you're just shots the half hour show from the waist up, Well, the great Peter Gammons would come in and khaki shorts and flip flops. Well I didn't know he was or what ever. And you know, like most men, you know, one of the most unattractive features of their self, this might be their feet. So I'm sitting there, wouldn't think anything. All of a sudden, Cruck leans over. He goes, what do you got on Peter's feet and his toes? You think he trimmed his nails today? And all I did, Carl's talking getting ready to come to me. I look down and I went, oh my god, Carl. Carl goes, Buck, what do you mean, are you impressed by something?
Speaker 1: I go, yes, I am, hey, that is amazing. Before we before we get to the m v P, just a reminder, of course, trade deadline is coming up here in a short order, and foul territory is all over the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: It's always a hope with this guy. It's always a hope. Oh we hope he stays healthy.
Speaker 1: Oh we hope he's good.
Speaker 3: He's send Miller to the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 1: Trade.
Speaker 3: Let's get to Shane Bieber. He is a Toronto blue Jay. Let's hit the inside scoop. It's EEPTI senior insider Ken Rosenkalf. The Astros got Carlos Korea back to Houston.
Speaker 1: Just like a Jent Freller said, you ain't in the big leagues. You don't.
Speaker 3: I got a big one.
Speaker 1: Under a minute under a minute Bowel Territory Trade Deadline special. All right, Buck, before we uh, before we say thank you and goodbye to you, justin t up the most important question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Buck, we ask everybody on our show man, uh, who is your m VP? The most valuable person in your life growing up? You know, all the years you had mentioned some of the people around you. You mentioned your dad earlier, But who is it for you that you would you would make your m VP.
Speaker 3: Oh? It was my mom and dad as a unit. It really was because they they had the to make the tough calls along the way. And more I've gotten away from I had my own kids and grands children. I'm very lucky. And that doesn't mean that you can't be a good human being without that strong two parent unit. But I was so lucky looking back on and a lot of the things that people were challenged with, I didn't have that challenge because my parents had the guts to lead me down the right path about human beings and our fellow man. And to this day it served me well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, awesome, good hey, Buck. So as we say goodbye here, we've want to thank you you. You absolutely were the perfect guest for this program. You educated people, you entertained people. Would how would you describe the concept of the parent dugout and trying just to make sure that what people are learning. There's just so many different ways to skin a cat.
Speaker 3: Well, Carl, I really come in y'all for this this angle. It's so hard being a parent. It's so hard being a kid, you know, and just being there more than anything else. When I look back and I hear my parents said, you know, my parents were there. That doesn't mean that you have to be so involved in every little aspect of their life and just being there and make it fun, you know, as a coach, as a parent. You know, I always ask my grandsons when they again and you have fun today, what was the most fun you had? Life's too short, man, And if you do the percentage we're going to play in college or professional sports, it's a pretty low percentage. So get on with learning the game of life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful, Thanks you, Buck, Thank you very much. We really really are grateful. You killed it. You were great. Thanks man. Good to see your Doud blessed.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Thank you, blessed.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Bud, And again, everybody get content like Buck Show, Walter, We got Alex Kor coming up in the next couple of weeks. Please join the parentdugout dot com. Become a member. You know about the content. Uh, you know about Justin's baseball recruiting confidential. You can ask us anything you want. Questions about the parent Dugout send them to info at parent dugout dot com. Another great one of the books, Justin. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ravi.
Speaker 1: Hmmm,