Speaker 1: Two on the move, galling deep speedways past Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's good, my adnds in the playoffs? What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, another day of Dolphins training camp is in the books. We'll break down all the action for another sterling defensive effort. More big plays by the Cheetah and the Penguin and iye popping performance from the tight end room. We'll tell you about that here in just one second. I want to tell you about Patrick Paul's pass sets, say that five times fast. A bunch of standouts on defense. The Brooks and Walker combination is absolutely on it through two days. About Chopp and Cam Brown meeting at the quarterback once again. Emmanuel Ogbaugh on the ox cord with the orange jersey, puts together another soliday for himself. Elijah Campbell, cater COOHU, Quentin Bell ball Out. We'll talk to Quentin Bell on the podcast for an exclusive one on one chat with him. We'll talk to Javon Holland as well, and some great insight from quarterback Mike White on how Tua tongue by Lois sees the field and how it helps the entire operation down here with the Miami Dolphins from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is the Drive Time podcast.
Speaker 2: YEA, let's go ahead and get this thing rolling by diving right on into it. No McDaniel presser today, but we do have a lot of good stuff, including audio here from and Look, this is a really, really, really tough battle, and I would compare it to the College Football Committee last year and the tough choices they had to make. But the title of my favorite press conference and or interview because Mike White is in the running and I thought he ripped it today both at his press conference and on the field. And of course, the big news of the day is well twofold number one Javon Holland was back after a little bit of a scare on Day one where he was flipped head over heels and didn't practice the rest of the day, but he was back out there today and good enough to even speak to us with his media availability, So that's always a good sign. And fantastic that we have the snowman back on the field. But two, Tua was not at was on the practice field, but did not participate in any drillsm and that means what it means more opportunities for the other quarterbacks. And I thought we got a good look at both Mike and Skyler and Gavin Harrison as well today, and for the two vets, I thought it was abundantly clear that there has been some progress from both of those guys. For Skyler just being in a tough system, right, this is a very difficult system to comprehend and understand and play fast within for his third year, coming from a college program where his playbook, in his verbiage was probably and this is a totally educated guests here, but thirty percent maybe twenty percent of what it is here, Like in college, it's like four words, a wristband, some hand singles, maybe one of those posters that has the four pictures on it, and let's go ahead and snap the football twenty five seconds left from the play clock. So I think you saw some elements of the concept of things slowing down a little bit for Skyler Thompson. Today, he threw a ball where I leaned over to Kyle Crabs and said, have you seen Skyler replace the blitz with the football before?
Speaker 1: No, we haven't seen.
Speaker 2: That might be the best ball I've seen Scalar throw, and it's just a release valve to a running back where he replaces the ball or replaces a blitzing Duke Riley, I should say with the football, I mean that's one of two a tongue of by Lowe's superpowers, right, Where's the vulnerability and how can I put it into that space as quick as possible? And with that in mind, I spoke to Mike White after practice and I didn't get there until late, and I wanted to follow up with some questions about him after asking him these questions because I hate talking to a player and only asking about other guys. But it was last question time. We moved on and I did get these two phenomenal answers here. And this is why I love Mike White. He always gives such great insight to the game and what makes this game and that position for that matter, so difficult. So let's go ahead and go too for here on Mike White on what it's like.
Speaker 1: You know what? I have the question that I asked, I'm gonna go ahead and roll the entire thing. This is probably a.
Speaker 2: Last year question, But when you go in the quarterback room after a game and you know Two is so well known for his anticipation throws in the way he sees the field, I'm just curious are there moments in those evaluations or reviews where you're like.
Speaker 1: Dude, that was ridiculous. Like I'm curious from your perspective because you see to.
Speaker 3: Reading brother, they're so in our in our meeting room, Two sits up front, and then me and Sky sit next to each other. So there bev is talking coaching them up, and there'll be some throws and me and Sky are like, won't even say anything. We'll just look at each other like how how how like you like to think, oh, I probably would have saw that. But there's some who are like, yeah, no, I'm I don't know if I see it like he does as quick as he does. That's what's That's what's I think is so impressive as how quickly he sees it. It's like he sees it before it happens. It's it's very very impressive, and it's so fun to be around and it's it's just it's impressive.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent.
Speaker 3: He talks about it, he talks about manipulating guys and and it's a lot of a lot of it is trust and and Mike talks about it a lot is that is the name of this offense is trust. Like I need to take my the receivers, trusting us to take our correct footworks, throw it on the correct timing in the correct spot to one not get them killed, and two get the ball in the right space so they can carry it in the yack that that Mike always talks about. And then it also goes to them too. We need to trust them that they're gonna run the right route, they're gonna cross face, and we're expecting across face and the countless reps you see to a throw right at a guy that if you paused it, it looked, oh, that's for sure gonna be a pick. And then there's Jalen or there's Tyree crossing face and so it's it's it's impressive by everyone involved, and it's so minute and it's like it looks they make it look so easy when in like, if you're around it, you know all the hard work that goes into it.
Speaker 2: So that first part where he discusses, you know, watching Tua's film reviews, and it reminds me so much of the Josh McCown content I've referenced on this podcast a million times, and how he would watch Kurt Warner in the same situation that Mike Whitesham right now, he's the backup behind the starter right and watching it saying like, how the hell are you seeing that?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of like the everyday relation here is it kind of how humans perceive color differently.
Speaker 1: I think that might be it. My wife and I we don't.
Speaker 2: See colors like the one color through my eyes versus through her eyes are different, right, Like what I think is cherry red. She sees it as mahogany and a quick funny aside for you guys. And it's kind of like attached to a bit of a morbid story, but it's it is funny.
Speaker 1: Trust me.
Speaker 2: It's been years now, so please don't feel bad. But it was it my mom's few and the guy who was setting everything up and kind of running the show like the run of show, like you know, the rundown of what we're going to do that day, as it were, we asked all the guests to wear purple ties because my mom's favorite color was purple. Like she decorated the entire house purple, kind of like breaking Bad Marie and Hank Schrader's house all in purple. Right, So my brother and I arrive on the day and meet with him, and we're somber, right like it's our mother's funeral. And he points to his tie and says, hey, guys, don't worry, I got you. I am color blind, but my wife helped me find my purple tie. Well, first of all, the wife lied to you, bro, because he points to this tie and it's one thousand percent a gray tie. The way my brother and I laughed when we were done with that conversation after he like walked off to do his next task, Like was a much needed laugh that day. And quite frankly, it's the biggest memory I have of that day, which is a good thing, right, It's a positive memory. So that's a long winded way of saying, that's how I see it. For quarterback visions. Some people can see that purple. Some people look at it and it's great and there's nothing you can do to change that. And there's that's where I think a lot of the quarterback discussion and discourse that is, oh gosh, it's ugly out there where it kind of gets lost in the sauce, because to me, that is the most important trait for a quarterback. How do you see the field? Because nothing else matters if you can't see it. And that's where I think Tua is as good and in my opinion, the very best, like Matt Stafford's right there, probably the very best in the league, and why I think he's comfortably a top ten quarterback in this league. So Mike White also touched there on how he takes from that and how it kind of benefits the entire offense. You've heard him discussed that, you know, the timing of it, how impressive, but how minute it looks. I just think it was really good commentary there from a quarterback and a guy that who do you want to talk ball with more than a quarterback? Right, Like they see the field from every perspective. And I was talking to Kyle Krabs about this, like how tough it is to watch these practices when we have you know, twenty five storylines or camp Battle's Brewing and I'm like, man, I'm trying to get my personnel right. I'm trying to get the formation right. I'm trying to like id the defense. He's like, Hey, that's what a quarterback does every play. I'm like, you know what, Yeah, you're right. What what these guys do? I don't think I don't think most fans understand, Like it is a lot of mental checking of box. And so when you say why would you throw that pass, like, go back there and try and see what you come up with. So it's you know, I love getting perspective from that guy because you're just not going to top the football knowledge of that guy. And I thought Mike was pretty sharp today. Mike call it his his best day from two days of training camp, you know, paired with the OTAs we got back in May and June, and he got the day started off right with the throw to alec Ingold up the sideline on a wheel route for what would have been a long touchdown. It was on seven on seven, so you know, grain of salt. But I think if you asked Mike, the throw came out a little bit flat, like it was kind of didn't get enough arc on it. Because do you guys remember the specific ted Gin catch in the back of the zone in the two thousand and eight finale to beat the Jets and win the AFC East when ted Gin caught like the very back of the football and was a millimeter away from dropping it. That's kind of what this one looked like from my vantage point, like Alec full extended arms, snares the back of the football and takes off up the sideline. And to me, that was like the first play of practice was kind of like McDaniel being like, all right, weave, yeah, mffer, you want to run all these games and blitzes and get after our qbs two through four. Well, here's a wheel to the fullback, So choke on that, sir. I thought it looked good when White dialed up reek or waddle over the middle of the field on time and in rhythm. So improvement for the quarterbacks. But in general, the defense really did kind of they kind of took it to the Dolphins offense for the second straight day. And I want to close this first segment talking about who I think has been the star of all the whole complent of two practices so far, in linebacker Quinton Bell, because I thought he was probably at a good today as he was yesterday. And I was explaining to Kyle once again how great I thought he looked, and Kyle's like, well, don't talk about him on your podcast, because I might talk about him on Lockdown Dolphins. And so there you go, confirmation of someone uppear you respect their opinion. Saw the same thing, and again nothing better than being like, man, I think Quentin Bell had some juice to and then he makes a play and it's like, yeah, that's exactly what happened right there. So he was working as the force defender, where he's essentially what the force defender means is you have to get outside, like if the ball gets outside of you, there's nobody else left like the contained defender, right, And then he sees it and cuts off the outside angle. The back sees that and reacts by cutting it up into the B gap and he works back over the top of the block and makes the stop and comes off the pile or the tag off like fired up, which tells you he thought he made a great play. He makes another play where he comes from depth where he's like peeling off in the curl flat and what that means is you're in coverage curl flat is the flat is like behind the line of scrimmage, beyond the numbers, like the perimeter of the field, and then the curl is just like five yards beyond the line of scrimmage on that same portion of the field.
Speaker 1: So you're covering.
Speaker 2: Wide and it's within proximity of the line of scrimmage is the curl flat zone. So he's working that and there's a play where the back has to bubble because Zach Seeler once again is in the backfield and forces the back to widen his track. Which what does that do? It allows better pursuit ankles for your second level defenders. And so that's why I like, And this isn't a total aside, but that's why it's not about who makes the player who doesn't like. Sometimes there's plays made that you don't necessarily see. I remember Devon Godshaw was this way, like he would break through and then force a player to change direction or track. I'd be like, what a great play by Godshaw, And then you know people on Twitter be like, that's not a great play.
Speaker 1: You make the tackle. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like, you can make plays that aren't you know, getting the ball carrier to the ground.
Speaker 1: So Quentin Bell is on this play.
Speaker 2: He comes from depth and comes way downhill and just takes the play completely out out of the equation, takes the running back off the off of his feet. To be quite honest with you, he didn't have a sack like yesterday, but I thought his run defense was solid all day long. It has me looking into his career in the past and going back through some old tweets and Falcons fans were like huge fans of this guy breaking camp a couple of years ago, thinking he was gonna have a big impact.
Speaker 1: I think he got hurt that year.
Speaker 2: And so I had a chance to speak with Quinton one on one about his career journey, what it meant to him to be features one of those guys in the practice squad Camo jerseys last year on Hard Knocks he won that a few times, and just about his performance so far. Let's go ahead and roll my chat with Quentin Bell. You were frequently in the Camo jersey. What did you learn from that experience of getting that type of attention as a guy that was really helping the team, you know, give the opposing offense.
Speaker 1: A good look.
Speaker 4: Definitely. I mean when I got here, my main goal was to work extremely hard and just continue to get better and perfect my craft and show these coaches that if my number was ever called, that I would be ready and I could help the team. And getting those Camos jerseys, it's a little bit extra motivation to know that my work is being recognized and that it's appreciated. So, like I said, my main goal was to come out every day and me befrcting my craft is ultimately helping the team, So that was my goal.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of a collection of where your career has gone to date in terms of you You've been the guys had to grind and work your way onto rosters, right, so like you learn from the entire experience to what it can impact you now.
Speaker 1: With the Dolphins in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean my main goal is just to always get better, and I think that I've been able to do that every single year. Is get a little bit better every single year, and I definitely think that here I just continue to carry that same aspect and getting that same mindset and this opportunity that presented yourself this year, I saw it and taking full advantage of you know, came in off season and worked hard and had to get OTA's and just kind of carried it over chaining camp.
Speaker 1: So this is just my podcast.
Speaker 2: There's a Dolphins podcast here and from watching the stands, I see fifty six making a lot of plays. Is that an accurate assessment? And what's empowered you to be so productive through two days?
Speaker 4: Oh man? Just effort and juice. Man. I, like I said, there's a big opportunity for me. I'm here on this team this year and I wanna take full advantage. I'm gonna give it everything I have and leave every single thing I have on the field. And one thing that I can be able to say that the fifty six was one hundred percent? What's that?
Speaker 1: What's the feedback then for your teammates and your coaches so far?
Speaker 4: For I'm pretty good, pretty good. There's always if you can work on, always, if you can improve on every single day. You know, nowhere near hitting my ceiling, trying to get better every day, but definitely games is a pretty good feedback.
Speaker 2: I would say, do you think your versatility is a big thing for the defense in terms of being able to you know, play hand in the dirt, stand up, and do all different stuff off the edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, the more you can do, that's the biggest saying, the more you can do. So I definitely want to show the coaching staff that I could do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: So we heard klays Cam, We'll talk about how this defense is.
Speaker 2: You can you can give them any look from any you can give them any rush or any plan from any look. Right in terms of the versatility of it, How does that really benefit what you do while you think.
Speaker 4: Like I said, the more you can do, I think that just yeah, yeah, coach leave defense is amazing, man, and so many things we could do. So just showing them that I can do a lot as well. You can plug me anywhere. I think I'll impact the game and I have a positive impact on the defense.
Speaker 5: So definitely great stuff.
Speaker 1: Quick Bill, appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there he goes and to a t right Dolphins player is respectful of the media's time, of my time and just really good dudes all across the board. So there you go, Quentin Bell. Great start the training camp so far. I freaking love stories like Quentin Bell. I can't wait to watch him continue going here into joint practices against the Falcons, eventually a game and more joint practices, and we'll see if he can earn his way onto the fifty three men roster. Let's go ahead and take a break right there, come back on the other side, get to the rest of the practice notes and storylines. All of that is next on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. We pick it back up and segment two with the pass catchers and Tyreek Hill made the catch of the day, and frankly, I wasn't sure what happened when I wrote this play out here, but I had a chance to go to our video team and watch what happened, so you might have write about it. Tyreek caught a long pass to end practice and he runs this vertical route on Ethan Bonner, who was step first step, by the way, and it made me think, like no wonder. Tyreek calls White lightning one of the fastest players on the team. He's seen it up close and personal with a guy that can match him on a vertical route, which ninety five percent of the NFL cannot do. So it's a great rep for Bonner. And I thought he was in great position all day today and really had a good day. But when the ball descends back to the earth. Originally watching this thing, I thought Bonner picked it and then Tyreek comes away with the football and I'm like, did that ball just like go through his hands or what happened there? And actually Bonner laid out and had it in his hands and then bobbled it and Tyreek caught the deflection and it was a great concentration catch by Tyreek to tap the feet keep it in and he was just fantastic all day. But Bonner's gonna think about that play until we strap it on again tomorrow because he was right there and had a big pick off of Tyreek Hill in coverage, but just didn't quite finish the play for Tyreek.
Speaker 1: I mean, he lines up. This is what's so cool about Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's kind of back to twenty twenty two in terms of like practice effort, if that makes sense, not that he didn't not that he wasn't giving effort last year.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to be the takeaway.
Speaker 2: From the store, but like we know, they've they rotate receivers through different lineups, to give you different looks and different matchups and play with different quarterbacks and line combinations. But like he's out there catching balls from Gavin Hardison with you know, Ireland Brown as the center, like all these guys that are udfas trying to figure out what is next for them in their careers. And I thought it was kind of cool because Gavin struggled again to begin practice and then they got a couple of easy completions at Tyreek Hill and you kind of felt some confidence bring off of that, which just shows you how valuable Tyreek Hill is for a quarterback. And then there's Jalen Waddle in a continuation from yesterday, and he caught more footballs off his frame, plucking the ball off his hands.
Speaker 1: He looks more explosive, he looks a little bit bigger than me.
Speaker 2: I've also he's made two diving catches in two days and those were kind of the ones that like would eat him up last year. Right, Somebody asked me on Twitter, what's what's changed about him? I'm not going to tell you on Twitter because you got to come to the podcast to get the insight, like in depth, you know insight. Here he's catching he's not letting the ball like fall into his bread basket. He's not elevating for balls that he catches at the numbers. It's all hands and we saw that all off season in the videos he posted. He's catching everything with his hands now, and I think he's gonna I think he's gonna go freaking.
Speaker 1: Nuclear this year.
Speaker 2: Speaking of nuclear, maybe not that much, but I teased a tight end going off today in the open and it's Tann O'Connor. He first caught my attention well yesterday with his performance. But on top of that, they did an extensive kickoff session where they're going through this new kickoff, which just is so weird and it's gonna be so weird once the season gets here because it's just so foreign to what we're used to for the NFL. But one player kept on breaking through and being the first one down there on the tackle or the tag off, and it was number eighty, and it got me thinking about his rookie year when they clocked him at like twenty one miles per hour covering a kickoff in that Tampa Bay game. And he caught a bunch of balls today and he keeps finishing these balls by these catches rather by running them into the end zone. And there was one that I think was actually a legit long touchdown run where he rumbled through some traffic and then ran away from two defensive backs. How many tight ends do you know, David Nijoku maybe who run away from defensive backs.
Speaker 1: So I just think that he's he.
Speaker 2: I know he was a high priority UDFA as a rookie, kind of fell out of favor after some drops and then has had an injury last year. But that's a guy that I would not be surprised if in four months we're looking back and being like we this was a major addition to our tight end room. Speaking of major additions, we saw what kind of impact upon a Chan could have last year and today was a continuation of OTAs and day one of training camp catching Texas routes, running routes from the slot, full passing game involved in for a chan going to be a screen weapon for us. He caught this Texas route where he caught it and there was I think it was Anthony Walker closed down to like put what would have been probably a big collision in a game, but he like in one motion, caught the football got into the spin move and then was running full speed like a step later for a long touchdown. Like it doesn't make sense when I watch him move, you know what I mean, Like it is just so alien to the human experience.
Speaker 1: The way Devon ah Chian runs is it's it's like Tyreek Hill. It really is.
Speaker 2: Tyreek is one of one, but apparently not because I kind of feel like a Chan's He's in that category now, man, it is. It is something to behold. It was, as I'm sure you've heard from the other Beat writers, another rough day for the offensive line, but it was even more of a skeleton crew today, Like they lined up initially with Keon Smith and Lester Cotton on the lineup and Kendall Lamb wasn't out there for that group, and Ireland Brown had a rough day snapping the football and you know, sent one over the quarterbacks head. At one point, Gavin Hardison lost a fumble in exchange with the running back.
Speaker 1: Like there's a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: That I don't think you're gonna see in September that are playing in these reps right now. It's kind of a slow build up here for camp. Like Andrew Meyer, the UDFA got positively dog walked by Zack Skiller a few times. Like, is that something that you're going to stress about. Is Zach Steeler beating a UDFA rookie offensive lineman something that gives you pause for the season, because to me, it's like, there's Zach getting his reps his work in right this one though, Leah Miikenberg was on the ground a few times, which which is a familiar place that hopefully is not the case come September.
Speaker 1: And then I saw Bidon Matt.
Speaker 2: Doos get put on his butt once, where I was like, there's some there's some work to be done there and the technique and stuff. So yeah, just a lot of guys on the ground and get knocked around a little bit. Good pass rush, good pursuit, good run defense. I will say this though, watching Patrick Paul, it's so obvious that this dude worked his butt off in the off season because he looks just completely different in his comfort level getting into his past sets and when he's right, it's just so easy and effortless because of the physical skills that he has and just the overall size of he feature, Like I just look at what he's done here and an Ota is compared to the Houston tape, where it was pretty ugly most of the time, and it's pretty easy to see that he's been working on this stuff. He had some good work in the running game. I like the way he finds work on runs away from him. One of the parts of outside zone is you know, if you run outside zone to the right, your left tackle might not have a block just because of the way they flow. And he always finds a way to find work and I think that's a very impressive trait for a young man. And then the guy that has sort of been business as usual from last year or for the last year, I should say, is Austin Jackson. Another solid day locking things down. He just looks so comfortable and in command with his set and then with his hands and went to fire that punch. He talked a little bit about the team today, the defense and how a new defense is giving him new looks which ultimately helps his game.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of competitive energy on defense on offense as well. They're getting effort.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: We like that good.
Speaker 5: Energy on you know, learning new movements and a new defense do a lot of things well, so it's good to study what they do, and you know, work on getting better. That's what we have ten practices for well before joint practice.
Speaker 2: I mean, so you heard two soundbites there. I just kind of talked to him, like house camp, going how you're feeling. The original question I asked him was what makes you say that about this team? Because he told me I think we're looking at a really great team here, And I said, what made you say that? And he says the competitive energy they feature. And then he talked about how this defense, as you heard, can help the offensive line kind of get you know, new looks and prepare new techniques and strategies for how to defend different types of defenses. Speaking of familiar faces, how about the two days here for Emmanuel Ogba shows up, has a sack, plays the run well, gets the orange jersey, and the ox cord comes back today does more of the same. Let's go ahead and hear from Emanuel Ogba on his start to camp and the decision to come back to the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 6: You know, I came in with her mind said, I onant to be better, you know, want to improve this. So that's the mindset come in training. I mean, he came down to two teams, and I just and I picked my own because I feel like I have unfinished business here, so that's all. I'm excited to be back.
Speaker 2: You're damn right, you do you man? Unfinished business is right. He sounds like a man on a mission. Really hope that he can pay that off with his performance this season. All right, let's go ahead and take our second break right there, a little bit loer today. I know we didn't have QB one, so that kind of changes things. We'll come back on the other side and finish up the notes and do the extra points. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. Let's get back into the defensive notes here and move back to the second level of the linebackers. I thought Jordan Brooks and Anthony Walker for the second straight day were really good, really really good, especially Anthony Walker Junior. He was all over the field. He got upset with himself at one point because he didn't quite have the proper depth to impact the throw over the middle of the Tyreek hill, but he did get his hands on one. He also deflected a pass that I thought could have been picked by Elijah Campbell for his second pick of the day. But I'm not gonna ask a player to let a ball go past his helmet because he can't see what's going on behind him. But he made his presence felt in the middle. I thought, Jordan Brooks, you know, just frequently in the backfield running down some of the speed stuff for the perimeter. I just think we have like these three linebackers who are really really good professional linebackers who all kind of offer something different in David Long, Jordan Brooks, and Anthony Walker. It should be fun to see how the rotation sorts itself out. And on that same note, I just don't I don't think it's clicking for changing Tyndall Man, Like it is slow to react and he made a play today and everyone kind of lost their their mind on the sideline and that's and it wasn't like a crazy play. He just got like a pass breakup, and it's like that's kind of shows you the expectation, right Like it just hasn't. It just hasn't really clicked for him. I don't think it's clicking right now, and I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just that's that's it is what it is.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead and go back to the starters though and talk about these guys, because I asked Yvon Holland about Walker and Brooks and he talked about how they're in pact has been so far. But he was asked to follow up about Jordan Brooks and how his leadership and his mindset and kind of what he features in terms of like personality, what he's like being around, and Javon kind of gave us an answer on that. In the entire linebacker room here is Dolphins safety Javon.
Speaker 7: Holland him as a person. He's quiet off the field, real reserves, but on the field, you know, he's making calls, making checks, making sure we're all on the same page. So it's really everything you look for in a linebacker. All four of those guys, like every one of them has a thing that they're really good at and they help each other grow as a group. So I'm loving it. They're they're great, their coach is great. I love the way that they're you know, approaching his defense. It's really making it easy for me.
Speaker 2: Jovon also touched on his buddy and safety counterpart, Elijah Campbell, who had a fantastic day. He had a pick where he undercut a throat to Durham smythe and gosh, the way Durham went to the ground in that corner route like I don't know, I like the way Jody Fordson runs that route or Tanner Connor runs that route. Definitely like the way John Smith runs that route. So Elijah undercuts the throw and makes a leaping catch and tapping his toes on the inbounds to make the play really impressive pick. I also had him in the notes where they would run these rout combinations with Waddle and Hill where it's they have done it for three years now, where they like a vertical and a crosser and he just maybe he knows this.
Speaker 1: So his knowledge of the defense is what's tipping him off.
Speaker 2: But it allows him to play fast because he kept running these things off and kind of being the reason why the quarterback wouldn't pull the trigger on those situations. So really good day for Elijah Campbell. I think it showed open some impact plays. Let's go ahead and go back to Javon Holland to hear about Elijah Campbell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, he's just gotten the reps honestly, like you know, the years past, he's kind of like focused on like gun or whatnot. He's kind of been in and not really been in. But like this past, in like new regime, he's gotten the reps and he's like you know, instilled the confidence and now he's like really starting to pick up. So I love playing with.
Speaker 2: Him finishing up here with the extra points. I think Ryan Hayes has had himself a couple of nice days here, the former Michigan tackle and seventh round draft pick in twenty twenty three, was it yeah, yeah, he said, in a nice couple of days at the tackle position. Now, I do think we have the same exact separation issues with some of the same guys from last year, like Barrios getting strapped by Siran Neil yesterday. Saw some more of that today where it's just like we can't you know, there's no separation in a quick manner and from that inside position, from a two or three alignment, you have to get open quick. And that is true for the tight end too. With Durham Smith, who that corner route he fell to the ground. It just it led to a pick. It kind of reminded me of the Claypool route last year in the Buffalo game, which is like, I know, PTSD, but a great play by Campbell for sure, great play by Taylor Rap last year to make that pick. But let's just let's just sharpen that rat up a little bit there, a little bit, And you know, I think that the hope is that with Beckham, Johnny and Malik and more a chan you can alleviate that. But we didn't have John who today and Odell's on out there obviously, so it's gonna happen when you get into the depth in the passing game. Chop and Cam Brown both met the quarterback once again today and it was cool to see them get there by the same route you would expect, like Chop ran past the tackle and Cam ran through the tackle, go for a meeting at the quarterback, kind of like the Sue and Wake sack on Bryce Petty a few years ago. They didn't hit him like that, but that's how fast they got there. Cater Co, who had two pass breakups late in practice, one really impressive one where he was in a full sprint transition back downhill to get back down the stem, got around the receiver without pulling or tugging and punch the ball away. That's the feisty cater Co who I fell in love with us rookie. I thought it was biz as usual for Zack Seeler. Stack him up, shut him down, make those plays in the backfield. He is just you can set your freaking watch to Zach Sealer. And that's how I'm gonna end the podcast today. Again, not crazy amount of like pop on the show. I understand that we're talking about a lot of depth pieces here, but that's what you get here. Man. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna talk about contracts and what's you know, that's just not what we do. Haround drive time, full practice reports and talk to the guys about what happened on the practice field, and we'll say this storyline stuff for the offseason and when there's not actual football to talk about, so we will talk about to it when the time comes, and we'll get his performances broken down here just kind of like I want to talk about Elijah Campbell more than I want to have a fourth straight day of two his contract. Maybe that's not for you, Maybe maybe that's maybe that's not what you want. And if that's the case. Then there's other podcasts out there for you, right, but just letting you guys know, we're gonna break down football on this podcast. And that's all I've got for you today. We're back tomorrow and then we're off Saturday. Before you, Manias, make your way out to the Baptist Health Training Complex because fans are back.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: I love when the fans are back in the stands because it is electric. It is just all systems go. The big plays are celebrated, and you know they're gonna it's just gonna be a great atmosphere here at the Baptist Health Training Complex. As always, we'll have you covered on draft time. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us at rating and leave us a review. Follow me on social at Wingfield, NFL. The Dolphins at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today, Drag Time content, and so much more.
Speaker 1: Last but not least, Miami Offens dot Com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Fin's up, Caroline and Cameron Daddy, He's coming home.
Speaker 5: M