Speaker 1: I am all in again. How that's just you? H?
Speaker 2: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all and Podcast one eleven productions, iHeart Radio Media, iHeart Podcast. Special guest for our Recap Season two, episode sixteen, There's the Rub is the one and only Scout Taylor Compton. Welcome, Scout. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing so good your face.
Speaker 1: It's good to see you too. You're the creator and writer of the Diaries of the Mortician's Daughter, a semi autobiographical coming of age dark comedy inspired by your unconventional upbringing in a funeral home. You also co host podcast talks to Be with Danielle Harris. In addition to your work on screen and behind the camera, Scout has been actively writing her own screenplays. Oh boy, don't I know what that's like, several of which are now in motion to be greenlit. Wow. Wow, yeah, look at you.
Speaker 2: I'm growing up, baby, Look at you go.
Speaker 1: Screenplays, man, it's like the kids, they take over, you know. There was a like I worked with a kid on Three Wishes in ninety five. Yeah, and he played my son. He was what eight or nine or something like that. He turned out to like he invented digital money, oh within video games and became insanely rich and on the cover of Forbes. Not only it was like, you're following the same path the kids grow up.
Speaker 2: That's also because we've had people in our lives I'm sure you you know like that we were able to look up to and admire be like, wow, look at that person what they're able to accomplish. And I feel like with my generation, at least for me, I feel like I'm such a late bloomber. I should have been doing this ten years ago, but right right now I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's more to tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more more life, more life.
Speaker 1: Like you know Laurie Strode Rob Zombie's Halloween films you were in. It also started Halloween to the Runaways so much more. Gilmore Girls fan recognize you as Dean's younger sister Claria. Of course, all right, Scout, we're gonna talk about this episode. Emily wins a weekend spa trip and ask Laura La to join her for relaxing holiday. Meanwhile, Rory received some unexpected visitors when she you know what, very sort of like non eventful things happening in anybody's lives, but for somehow the show makes it compelling. Right, Yeah, A couple of people come over and study, and it's dinner.
Speaker 2: And it's not like house.
Speaker 1: Sheila Lawrence directed at Amy Sherman Palatino, The Great One, wrote it Emily and Laura. Emily been on a certificate for a weekend at a spa and offers it to Laura. Laurla shares her excitement about the offer, but then Emily decides she will join her. Oh, make sure all of her appointments all together. Are you surprised that Emily is not a spa person.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not because it's very much like my mother. This sort of dynamic reminds me so much of my mom and I so my mom is not a small person. And when this happened, I just thought of my own situation. I was like, would I ever want to go to a spa with my mother? No, because this is exactly what would happen. It's like these two, these two women doing the same thing. They're both trying to control the situation and not wanting to admit that they're trying to control the situation. Also, they're both looking for this love from one another, but both are not wanting to admit that there are looking for this love from one another. It's it's like one of those dynamics.
Speaker 1: Right, Emily's ulterior motive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean to me, this episode, you know, this episode's really about like how trauma shapes or defenses or our defenses, you know, and like what might happen if we actually let those guards down, even for a second. So I think it's this episode's really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very honest talk they had on the bed. Emily was very vulnerable. Why can't we have the relationship you have with Rory she's jealous.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah, yeah, sad so too. The jealousy.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems like Laurel is always trying to or giving up with her mom. They you know, they tend to sort of like come together and then she gives up. Do you relate to that push pulled dynamic with family at all? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do. I think I think I think.
Speaker 1: That's why I think most people do, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why Gilmore Girls was so powerful, because it had all these layers of different dynamics with family, the one that you're in that's messy or the one that you like. At least for me, with Loralai and Rory, I was always like, God, I want that. I hope to be that with with my my child, you know. But there's there's there's pros and cons in both of them, I feel like. But I think that's what made Gilmore Girls so special.
Speaker 1: Here's a question. Would you are on the you know your child? Would you err on the side of Emily or on the side of Lorala and your relationship your closeness to your child?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know I am. I don't have any kids, but I teach a lot of kids, and a lot of young adults grab towards me. I have a lot of kids in my in my circle, especially that I check on and you know, making sure that they're good, how are they progressing? All this stuff. But there's there's a happy medium, like being their friend, but also having structure. I think structure is so fucking important, really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was just seeing a situation the other day where, you know, a kid was wanting to give up baseball, and I was like, oh, I was like, how many how many practices that they do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Just one like you bought all the stuff. He's like, yeah, but he doesn't want to do it. I'm like, they're pus, You're gidding a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You have to give them structure, a little bit of structure, you know, make sure a happy medium.
Speaker 1: I feel like right, structure is the thing that saves people one hundred. If they don't have it, they crumble. If they have it, they can hang on to that ladder. Yeah, and they can go down or up as slowly as quickly as they want, but at least.
Speaker 2: They have the option exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what I try to give my boy.
Speaker 2: How are you as a dad? How are you? How are you? What's what? Who are you? Who are you?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Lorli or Emily?
Speaker 1: I'm both both? Yeah, yeah, I'm both. But it's like, because he's so he doesn't need any discipline, I mean very little. He's very self motivated. He's extremely smart, and he's so hard working. He's got all of these characteristics that I wanted him to have. And he's you know, he's sensitive, and he's he's got a great heart. So he doesn't need me to ride him. He just does stuff. He knows what he is expected of him, and the feedback that I get from his instructors, his teachers, you know, he said camp now and his camp counselors and things like that. Is it that he's such a well mattered, polite, considerate young man and that that does me? I mean that really hits me in the heart, you know, just love hearing that. But it depends. I mean not every kid is like that. I mean there are difficult kids too, so then they need they need a whole different approach.
Speaker 2: You did that, though, isn't that incredible? Like you did that well?
Speaker 1: I mean, my wife and I did that. I think I think a lot of it. And I read something where you know, your influence, your parents influence over a kid is minimal compared to their environment and their friends and their friends friends and their friends parents. And they're they're wiring how they're wired. They're they're predestined in some way, and I I don't know. I think it's some lanes of his life that's true to one other's not so much. But anyway, Okay, So, so Emily got Lorelei in her congining rooms at the hotel. At the couple's massages. That was one of the funniest lines of the whole time.
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 1: Like what mom? You know what people do after they get like they book a massage together? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh good?
Speaker 2: But literally went over her head.
Speaker 1: I love how she gets up and she gets on an elbow and she's like, Mom, I gotta tell you something. You know what people do after these things? Right?
Speaker 2: I want to ask because I didn't really ever like see this dynamic. How is their dynamic as actors together those two?
Speaker 1: Oh it's great. Yeah, very powerful, very very they're very friendly, very close.
Speaker 2: No wonder, no wonder it shows.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh it's no, it's it's it's that's what I miss so much about working with that cast. They were all so good. Yeah, you know you really had to come in with your a game where you were going to get your luve handed to you. Oh yeah, I mean it was just so great. I see, that's the environment I love to be in. It's like, bring it, let's see if you got it today. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are just like I feel like a lot of these shows maybe just because there's so there's so many it's just like a coasting. It's like a coasting thing all around, not just like actors, but like even even what the show is written even when it's supposed to be. It just kind of just seems like just doing like the bare minimum, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I think has happened. And a friend of mine brought this up to me. It's very interesting observation about and certain people have stated this in interviews. So it must be a thing, right, it must be an algorithm, must be data that somebody somewhere is analyzing to make shows where they can sort of be background noise. Yeah, so it's not to ruffle anybody's feathers and not to be so you know, a certain type of show, and that not to challenge anybody, not to provoke in too many ways, but background noise where people can have it on and gain comfort from it. And it doesn't have to be you know, the requirements aren't that, you know, you really have to nail a performance or the writing doesn't have to be great, and it doesn't even have to make sense. Really, there can be huge logic holes throughout the whole thing, but as long as it's comforting right now, Gilmore never had that issue. I mean, every once in a while there's a logic thing or whatever, but it's so rare, right, it's so rare. Yeah, but that had all of the elements. It's like a lot of shows that imitate that show because there were a lot of you know, copycat shows after Gilmore is that they just don't have well.
Speaker 2: They don't have any d Yeah, clean herself, right, that's crazy. Background noise, background noise.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: It's because we have too much distractions, because it literally is that. I mean, could you imagine that. I'm just going into Like as you were saying that, my mind went to, you know, turning the TV guide and finding out when the episode would air and having to be in front of the TV to see that episode or you'd miss it. Or then then now you have VHS tape three, you can record it and what do you know what I'm saying? Like everything she was so excited to come together and like escape together. Now it's like we're just like disassociating ourselves from one another.
Speaker 1: In our shows, right all right, So after the facial, Anily sneaks into louralizing to chat about all the robes, what's next on the our Tinneraries, which is a couples of stash, which we talk about. After not being impressed by the vegetarian memory. They go to a chop house. It's kind of a nice steakhouse. Yeah, that was hilarious.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: That was not that was not up her. Ally, she was like and she's just mortified by everything, right, and she kind of slowly started to like let her guard down, which is really nice to see. I love it when Emily lets her guard down. It's like the cutest thing to watch, it really is.
Speaker 1: Right, So now she's getting eyeballed by Halandon. I think that was hall Lindon. Hallandon was a big star in the set of duc at his own shows and that kind of thing. Yeah, he played a guy named Chad and he invites them later to dance and she does.
Speaker 2: God, there's such a beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was really such a beautiful moment watching that. Even even with them at the bar, you know, like they laugh, they talk, it's almost like we were I don't know. I was seeing a glimpse of the relationship that they could have had if they both, like I said, let their cards down. And then boom, it just like falls apart again.
Speaker 1: Well, hell, Lindon got a little close there with the slow Dance number two and Emily freaked and left and blamed Laura l I and said, I'm a how dare you get me in this situation like this, I'm somebody's wife and I can't do this? She was out there. Can't blame her, right, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, but what's so heartbreaking is, like, you know, Emily's you know, she tries like her way of showing love is deeply flawed. Sure, but it's like wrapped up in this like expectations and this passive aggressiveness. But she does, I mean, she does want a relationship with her daughter. You can just see it so bad.
Speaker 1: You can just yeah, you know, you think it's cheating if you slow danced with a guy named Chaf.
Speaker 2: And then the guy's name is Chad, it's cheating, just kidding.
Speaker 1: So still Emily and Laura were, you know, they're finally getting law. Something always goes wrong. That's the purity of the relationship, that's the beauty of the writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's also like Laurla, you know understandably she's she's still carrying a lot of scars, you know, from childhood with her mom and her upbringing. I just recently did a TV show and and the writer we we we went to his family home and the script that he wrote was kind of based on his family, and I remember having a conversation with him. I was like, hey, like, this is going to bring up some stuff, you know, but you think you field those things until you're like brought on these situations and you're like, oh, I actually have not gotten over ABC and D and they come out with glimpses you know, trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alright, let's go to Rory's Friday night. Paris shows up, Panic study, and then another guest shows up, Jess.
Speaker 2: Okay, Scott, can we just talk about Jess in Paris having this surprising, like spark filled conversation about literature and fast food. It was so good. It's such a good and I thought, now that I watched it as like an adult, I thought, wouldn't it have been interesting if Paris and Jess ended up together?
Speaker 1: Did they not?
Speaker 4: I know, all these people are like what na, but they're dynamic with each other, killed each other. It's kind of interesting, But sometimes you need that sort of that sort of person.
Speaker 2: In your life, you know, I'm saying I thought I thought their book Chat Is I don't know. I think it was considered one of the best literature dialogue the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a great piece of television. There's there's no to bring these characters together like that. It was. It was. It was wonderful to watch, and you want more of it, right, you wanted? I was thinking, God, this this is the spinoff. This should have been the spinoff. You know, she should have been involved. I think Amy just didn't want to lose too many you know, players on her on her show to a spinoff, you know what I mean. Okay, Paris was the obvious candidate. You know, their chemistry is great.
Speaker 2: What was Amy like? I mean because I obviously dealt with her as a young child, and she left such a such a mark for me at that age.
Speaker 1: But I just I think she was so happy to come on set and direct an episode to be with Pete that she loved, who loved her back fiercely, who she fought for to get those roles, and because she was fighting so many battles, you know, off the court as it were, she loved being in there and playing with us because she knew that it was going to be this wonderful, supportive, hysterically funny experience. Yeah, and she did that four times a year. Or something like that. And every time she came on set, it was just like, you know, the level just went way out.
Speaker 2: Everybody just was there every time I came to play, right, really every time. And I mean I have pictures of her and I like playing hacky Sack like it's so wild, Like I remember her vividly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, she's you can't forget her, you know, she makes that impression. Yeah, but yeah, I mean, always just there to make things better for everybody. You know, a great listener, great friend.
Speaker 3: All right, so.
Speaker 1: Just tells Ry that Luke sent him off to drop food off because she was alone. Rory asked serious questions, trying to finally used the lead. Yeah, and then stay he ate. He sat down Laura. I request Lauria to something bad while she's gone bikers and low lives. What would you do if your parents left you alone? And what did you do?
Speaker 2: And what did I do? My parents left me alone? I probably did as much as Rory did. Unfortunately, I lived in a mortuary, so not a lot of people wanted to come over anything. So it was not because I wanted to fold laundry just because I had dead people downstairs. I really wanted to egg out at my house at the Cemetery. So I went, and I I would just watch my favorite show, which was the Sixth Sense is that's Sixth Sense movie? And then well, uh, I don't know. I was like a big like Rugrats fan as a kid, okay, like all those Nickelodeon shows and then ma Maury and then Jerry Springer gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right? So Paris drives all the way to stars Hall from hard for to say with Riy Scout what kind of high school or of roy or Paris or maybe a Luise? What word?
Speaker 2: I was none of them. I was like a Jess. I was very much a Jess, just like trying to figure it out. Had a lot to a lot of my past, and I was just trying to navigate. I really wanted like people to like me, but I didn't know how to. I didn't know how to do it. And yeah, I was very much Jess. Sorry, Mom and Dad, No, I was just too There's good things about being as we figure it out, We figure it out. It just takes as a bit of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those days, all right. So he shows up, it's clear that he wants to spend time with Rory, but you know, is why does he always teases her about wanting to be around him?
Speaker 2: You know, you know, well he's a little boy still, you know, he's a little, little, little confused little boy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like you poke the girl at recess and that you run away. His flirting is flirting. Chops weren't really up to par but I mean they worked for they worked for Rory. They were very endearing for sure. I mean it's even like if you went back to the beginning of the episode, even with like the the umbrella, you know, going over like there's there's there's this like softness, you know, that that tiny gesture that was like his version of.
Speaker 1: Affection, tending to her needs, anticipating that's what That's what a good guy does with somebody who cares does and.
Speaker 2: Rory saw it, she sees it. She's not you know, she's not used to that. You know, there's so much battle going between her and her and Dean. They're inner dialogue is obviously like you know, they're they're slipping away from one another. But yeah's relationship. You don't want to identify yourself as separate.
Speaker 1: He's just blow Yeah, it's so paris is so excited when Ry invites her to eat with them. Do you feel sorry for parents? I do feel like I do too.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I did it when I first watched the show, But now I'm like, yeah, I get it, Like I get it, poor Paris. It's like this, It's like the same dynamic that Jess has, just a little. It's just just different.
Speaker 1: Her dad comes to her. Dad cancels a divorce when he realizes how much is going to cost him, and he allows his wife to redecorate the whole house.
Speaker 2: That house as a child.
Speaker 1: That's crazy house. That's not good. That's not good.
Speaker 2: That's like your reflection in your rearview mirror.
Speaker 1: Is that concept that's not good, That's not going to produce a happy child. Yeah, they say conflict, you know, it is the thing that that that ruins a child, the constant conflict. You know, you're always gonna have conflict. But I mean it doesn't have to be Yeah at that level. Jeez, When Roy Jess Parasy together, it seems like they all get along so well. Do you do you think that this would be it would be this natural if it were Dean instead of Jess. What do you think that that conversation between Dean and Paris would either be non existence or very brief.
Speaker 2: Oh, there would be no conversation. There would be no conversation. Dean is so lost in his own mind. I don't and and Rory Rory, Rory, Rory, Rory, Rory Rory. I don't think that he would even be able to compute anything else, you know, I mean, I do not remember that relationship though, Scott, Like, when you're in that relationship, it was like I eat and breathed this person, this person. It's it's so tough. No, you were never I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was a Dean at one point.
Speaker 1: I was never a Dean. Jess uses the word chaperone. Does he think he and Rory will do something of Paris?
Speaker 3: Wasn't there?
Speaker 1: You think he's got it on his mind? Yes, of course, of.
Speaker 2: Course, of course he does. Would he do anything? Do you think he would have?
Speaker 1: I think if there was an opening and she was okay with it, yes, So do you.
Speaker 2: Think that she was emotionally cheating?
Speaker 1: She is? Yeah, Yeah, she's a kid. She's sixteen, can't she's seventeen now, right, she's seventeen. Bourgeine right, expecting teenagers to control themselves. I mean, come on, did you could you control yourself?
Speaker 3: Cut? I?
Speaker 1: Oh, I could not, lest we judge.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I just wish that. I wish that at that age we weren't so hard on ourselves to like communicate easier. You know, like it should be so easy to like communicate to like an opposite sex or the same sex whatever, you know, just to be like, I'm not into you anymore. This isn't working. Why is that so hard to say? But why is that like so difficult at that at that age in time feels like forever.
Speaker 1: But Dean's a Dean's a good guy, right, Yeah, he's a good, solid guy. Maybe not for her, but he's a good, solid guy, decent, decent person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just like clutching to this version of Rory that he you know, that he used to know the girl who's like all the books and town festivals and straight lighting plans. But now she's like, I don't know, she's inching into this like complicated dynamic with Jess, and she's becoming more independent and becoming more layered, and you know, you can see your stepping into like the next chapter of her life kind of thing, and I'm sure he can see it too. Yeah, I see Deane's kind of stuck at the starting line, is what it is. He's just stuck at that starting line.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what Dean offers hers consistency throughout a lifetime. Yeah, And there's really no unpredictability there whatsoever. I mean, what you see is what you get, and there's something very positive about that. But for her, I think she wants to get wrecked. Yeah, because I think she understands. Because she's so literate, you know that she she needs to live an artistic life. And in order to live an artistic life and to grow and to learn and to add depth to her character and her soul, which craves disaster, right, she craves it. But it's kind of what she's used to. I think maybe she is deep down it's the only way you can grow. It's like, learn the big lessons from the big accidents. And the big accidents always feel so good right now when they're working out, right, they're very, very intoxicating. But I think what we didn't know back then was that it's just all temporary and they're just life lessons and it's just something you got to get through and it's you know, kind of an aberration, but you're on a certain path for sure. But the artistical life is different. It's different. It's high risk, high reward, you know, that kind of thing, but a lot of suffering. I think true artists are attracted suffering, you know, the real deal. If you're the real deal, you're going to suffer a lot. That's going to be really good for your art.
Speaker 2: Man, I feel like you're talking to me, right, I guess I like that don't know what it is. I was like, oh shit, yeah, that's true. That's so true.
Speaker 1: I mean like it all depends on who your literary heroes are. Yeah, right, what you know what turned you on at seventeen or sixteen? Who did you read? That just blew your hair back and you were like, Wow, I didn't know that was possible, you know. So I think that all informs and I think Jess has gone through it. Rory's going through it to an extent, right, But I think she's drawn to that darkness. Yeah, she knows that there's knowledge there, there's there are lessons there that she would like to learn.
Speaker 2: So it makes it so compelling to watch.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, no, there's no question there's no question. I love it. I am sending you a digital tissue, thank you. But it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good to like real that about yourself.
Speaker 1: That is. Yeah, I think Dean's frustration is warranted. This guy, he's suffering like Luke. He suffers like Luke.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they are so similar, aren't they that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh I never noticed that sitting around suffering. He's watching Larele I, you know, go after Rory, go after other guys. Are big core by other guys the way Luke has had to watch. It's going to continue to watch Laurel. I.
Speaker 2: But those type of men just sit back and watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I you know, I have a reputation of diner. You know I can't. I can't accept Oh yeah, you know I can't. I have an excuse. I can hide behind my diner, my reputation, all that.
Speaker 2: I was literally going to just say, they give them excuse, They give their inner dialogue excuses all the time. Yeah, that diner man, that's right down.
Speaker 1: I gotta go better. I gotta I goly man. Someone's got to make the donuts. You know. No, I can't mess around with you. I can't worry about you and Max or you and whoever?
Speaker 2: Did we ever see your kitchen?
Speaker 1: No, no, it didn't exist. There was no kitchen back there, bags and bags of items there's there's just there was no kitchen. There was a room back there. That's that's where Robert Lee, our vaunted extra Robert Lee would hide out. Really yeah. He would duck down and for cover and then emerge. And that's also the place where Caesar got much shorter. Yeah, because he started out kind of tall and and then he got you know, he lost about six inches or more.
Speaker 2: Oh so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, this is one of the first times we see Paris stand up for Rory. Were you surprised?
Speaker 2: Wait? I really think that we need an episode of just watching your character cook in the back. I think we all, for the whole, for the whole fandom, everybody that loves the show. I think they would pay big bucks they see you cook the meals that were that were presented to the cast.
Speaker 1: You know, I got offered a show. I got offered a show, not not where I would be cooking, but there would be lots of kitchens.
Speaker 2: Yeah what oh yeah, yeah, and you have PTSD. You're like, I need to turn this down, No more kitchens for me.
Speaker 1: Now we're kind of waiting on approval.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, I'm so for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean they never saw the kitchens in seven years or twenty five years. If this show gets approved, there's going to see another butt kitchens. Oh. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it for people want you to be babe. That's it right there.
Speaker 1: You know, hey, you know chain me to the stove man. Yeah, I don't mind.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. So have you evercovered for a friend the way Paris did for Rory? I mean that was quick thinking. Paris. It was my fault. Just came over to see me. I have a crush on him, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm not that fast. I'm not that fast, Like I really, that's something that I struggle with. I'm I am so shocked and amazed by how people are so fat. That's why I'm terrible with arguments. I'm like, just give me, can you give me like ten minutes so I can like out of my thoughts and then come back and then I'll tell you what's going on. I'm just not that good. I thought it was so I mean, obviously out of the box. For her, and that was such a nice moment to see for.
Speaker 1: Her character doing something for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Somebody else. Andy's face, though, I feel like she was like shocked, but like not too shocked. I was like, that's it. That was a that was a very shocking moment. But I think a really a big stepping stone for for those.
Speaker 1: Two, right, huge, yeah, big moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Dean calms down after he hears this, but I think he's still is smelling a rat a little bit.
Speaker 2: Don't you hate?
Speaker 1: Not hate?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a strong word, but those couples that argue in front of people, that was literally what was happening. I felt so bad for Paris and I was like, first of all, Dean, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Whoa whoa, whoa whoa? He was like, yeah, he was. He was really bumed. You know, somebody that's six' four needs to just, chill. Chill you, know they can't get bigger or, louder and that's, scary you.
Speaker 2: Know. Yeah, Yeah And rory handled herself very very well in that situation as much as she. Could BUT i really was very upset Being i'm sorry being being, sister was very upset watching that, right that is not, Out that is not what you.
Speaker 1: Do and then now we go back To emily And. Laurela theyre at the, hotel they're packing their. Stuff, emily you, know pulled the plug on the whole thing after the The chad Incident chad h And laurla, said maybe an intense weekend together wasn't the best. Idea she's just starting with something smaller like stealing a. Robe, Yeah emily. Agrees Is emily being naive when she ask her why Her LA i can have the same relationship With lord Lion. Ry is that a question That emily would really, ask wouldn't she? Know or is that her blind?
Speaker 2: SPOT i think it is her blind, spot poor, THING i really. Do LIKE i, said, LIKE i just keep on going back, to you, know my relationships THAT i have with my. Family it's, like especially it's a generation, thing right.
Speaker 1: Too like.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that generation just doesn't see what's right in front of them or doesn't see their wrongs, either which makes it very very. Difficult you, know this is.
Speaker 1: An interesting topic. Here, yeah WHEN i was growing, up parents could trust, schools they could trust other, parents they could trust, community they could trust the, cops they could trust everybody to take care of the. Kids it really was a. Community, yeah you, know it really really was a. Village that doesn't happen. Anymore you can't trust anybody to do, anything which is WHY i think. THIS i think it's one of the reasons that it's not talked. ABOUT i think that's why one of why this show resonates so deeply is because it is reflecting the times so perfectly and so honestly that, man you.
Speaker 3: Can't you.
Speaker 1: Can you can live inside of a bubble where everybody trusts each other and they could raise your. Kid you can trust. That but you go outside that, bubble, no which is WHY i think the show is so. Popular it continues to be so popular because it is a time. Capsule that show is a time. Capsule that stars hollow was not an uncommon reality in the sixties and you, know, fifties sixties and part of the.
Speaker 2: Seventies that's what even you describing, THAT i, mean even going, back there's there's NO i think that Is you're exactly right why this show is so. POPULAR i, mean even even WHEN i was watching it as a, KID i was like fantasizing about living. THERE i was, like how great would that be to be in a community that loves each other and takes care of one another and a family that's like there for one, Another and you know that's not really my. Dynamic so it's, yeah you're absolutely.
Speaker 1: Right and they didn't need to be so. Close, yeah but they. Were they were and they are because you could Trust Ms. Patty you can Trust Kirk, WELL i mean to an, extent you can, trust you can trust every.
Speaker 2: Reason my, Dog i'm definitely trusted, to like walk my.
Speaker 1: Dog but you could Trust. Luke you could even Trust. Jess, yeah and you, know HE'S i think at the end of the, day He's, yeah he's sort of a, rebel risky, guy but he's NOT i don't think he's. Dangerous, No, right he may be a little responsible here and, there but he's not. Dangerous he's not intentionally. Dangerous he's. Not he's dealing with some anger, issues but he's he's he's he's not. Dangerous, yeah but THAT i think is the power Of so, anyway are you surprised That luke was not a part of sending over the, food Sending jess over the, food or do you Think rory was charmed by?
Speaker 2: That you, know that that did take, me that that did surprise. Me it did surprise me that.
Speaker 1: It was just.
Speaker 2: Him but, then now knowing how he, Is i'm, like should it have surprised?
Speaker 1: Me, no.
Speaker 2: Like that little kid poking and running. Away but he's he's definitely very inserted, in like he inserts. HIMSELF i mean you have to admire, that, right you think he's a master.
Speaker 1: Manipulator is just being?
Speaker 2: BOLD i don't, KNOW i don't.
Speaker 1: KNOW i think he LOVED i think he loves. HER i think he thinks about. HER i think he loves. HER i think he wants to be with, her and he's playing it.
Speaker 2: Cool but, man but to be that bold too, though that's LIKE i don't Think i've ever gone to someone's, house made up an excuse and then invited myself. In that's amazing to have that, confidence you, know or TO i, guess just to be that that entranced with.
Speaker 1: Someone, well it's, literature, right it's like this, deep this deep long mm. Hmm it's what you want to read about. Exactly it's what you want to watch on the. Show is what he's willing to do to get close to.
Speaker 2: Her, yeah that's what you want in. Life m.
Speaker 1: Hmm and who doesn't want to be pursued that?
Speaker 2: Way, yeah that's, right, right that's.
Speaker 1: Right and knows what he's, doing.
Speaker 2: Which is interesting because because because your character might have been able to learn a little bit from From. Jess they just had a little pow wow at the diner while you're cooking some. Food how do we get him to fall in love with?
Speaker 1: US i don't know that that's.
Speaker 2: Possible which's possible to.
Speaker 1: Get a woman to fall in love with?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: No, no it's just.
Speaker 5: You, know they either just give up and settle or, like all right, us so DON'T i?
Speaker 2: Worse, hey my boxes at least ten are.
Speaker 1: Checked it's like when they look at you like you're not going. AWAY i. Knew, okay let's.
Speaker 2: Go how did you and your your wife? MEET i Was were you the? Pursuer?
Speaker 1: Oh, YEAH.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: TEACHING i was very busy teaching. Acting m h and. UH i was at a complex that at four, theaters AND i was teaching downstairs. Theater one night she was upstairs in another class AND i was upstairs before my class started talking TO i had a couple of assistants AND i was talking to them. Upstairs they were we were seated and she just walked. By it was just that you know, thing, wow locked eyes and like. HELLO i didn't say a. Word but, then you, KNOW i think the next WEEK i saw her outside during a break and, uh you, know don't.
Speaker 2: You know it's in the, ass.
Speaker 1: You know, it that's. MINE i take a, ride probably not seal.
Speaker 2: It i'll get a. Sidecar she was about to.
Speaker 1: Light a cigarette AND i popped it out of her mouth and flipped it into my. Own no, NOT i, was, okay nobody's. Smoking that's just like it was all black and. White oh my, GOD i love.
Speaker 2: IT i love.
Speaker 1: It tell me About diaries Of Morticians.
Speaker 2: Daughter you, know it's been in development for a really really long. TIME i first was like developing it obviously because of my stories and my, bringing and you, KNOW i think there's there's it's the story is kind of about the dysfunction of, families which is really amazing and obviously makes for a good Show Gilmore. Girls but then it's also about the community that's around it as, well which is kind of what you were, Saying AND i just didn't really ever think of that With Gilmore, girls but it, is it's like this own bubble that this small man. Has AND i really am obsessed, with you know, why a coming of age. STORIES i think so much importance comes comes from those, stories especially for our. Kids you. Know that's not like pushing the envelope like, euphoria.
Speaker 1: You, know and stuff like.
Speaker 2: That but, yeah So i'm hoping to make it A tv. Show but While i've been, WAITING i just wrote the. Book So i'm about to launch the. Book oh, gosh, yeah, right which is pretty much just the first season wrapped up in a little bow. Tie BUT i just tossed into the universe and to soak someone like reels it.
Speaker 3: In, Right.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about your horror. Experiences you're known for your roles in. Horrors is this your favorite genre to act?
Speaker 2: In is it my favorite genre to act? IN i, MEAN i guess it's like it's familiar, territory. Right it's like it's like you With. Luke it's, like you, know it's very. FAMILIAR i know. IT i CAN i can do it in my. SLEEP i know, it you, know backwards and, forwards SO i can always like jump into.
Speaker 3: It is it my?
Speaker 2: FAVORITE i don't, Know I'M I i feel Like i'm discovering new elements of myself right. NOW i just started directing the last two, years and even with, THAT i am from WHERE i started to WHERE i am right. Now it's like vastly. Different and it's because there's these growing pains That i'm doing with myself and discovering myself as a you, know it's a mid thirty year old. Woman i'm just like really enjoying finding my. Voice and it's the first time That i've been able to find my voice and not hide behind a. Character AND i think horror obviously helped me a lot with my. TRAUMA i think being able to like let that sort of fear and that sort of energy come, out you know what horror brings, OUT i think definitely helped me in that time in my. Life BUT i, mean it's ALWAYS i love it so. Much it's always such a really great genre to go back to and be a part. Of But i'm discovering other.
Speaker 1: Things it's quite a. Voice thank god you found. It keep, talking thanks keep, writing keep. Doing it's a it's a gift to all of.
Speaker 3: Us.
Speaker 1: Uh and you're gonna have to come. Back, unfortunately you're gonna have to come. BACK i wish because there's so much more to unpack here with. You we didn't even get to you, know very many of the, questions but there's so many more, questions and you're going to answer. THEM i will hold your feet to the. FIRE i love.
Speaker 2: It, No i'll definitely come. BACK i have to have you on my podcast.
Speaker 1: Too oh, yeah, yeah let me. Know let's let me. Know all of us appreciate, you appreciate the time and the. Insights always it's always a blessed to see A scout Tailor coompton and, remember best fans on the. Planet where you're to, lead we will. Follow stay safe everyone.
Speaker 3: Dot, everybody and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us On instagram AT I am All in podcast and email us At gilmore at iHeartRadio dot.
Speaker 3: Com