Speaker 1: Following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so much for that. It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: We were on right with Nick Eatman.
Speaker 1: Brian brought us and bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, April nineteenth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number three. Welcome to the latest edition of the Break LIFESWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star got Nick Eatmon. Brian brought us Ambergarcia here with me. We got about forty five minutes with you guys, and we'll be talking about it a little bit of everything today. Stephen Jones was on the fan our partner station yesterday. He had some interesting things to say. We'll go through some of that stuff. We're going to get to some fan questions. I've been promising this for the last couple shows. We've been trying to do that.
Speaker 7: Today.
Speaker 6: We'll take some phone calls eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. You can hit us up. Jazz is sitting there waiting and ready for you guys to call in. So so go ahead and call in. We'd love to hear from you, hear some questions and get these guys thinking let's start first. That was a question. I think that that just kind of sets the stage for where we are at this point. That I got from Richard on Twitter. He says, is it more hectic in the building now that's closer to the draft? Are there more scouts just running around? What happens at this point? We're eight days out from the NFL Draft. What's going on in the building.
Speaker 8: At this point seems pretty quiet? I mean, I think is always like considered the calm before the storm. I don't know, I don't know. Brian will tell you more about what the scouts are running around, but I mean I feel like they've probably getting their ducks in a row a little bit, probably doing a lot of calling to other teams, trying to see where other teams are feeling out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a in Nick's right, there's a certain calmness about it. It's not so much running around. You finished up, you know, they had some of the thirty visit guys. Maybe the schedules don't quite work with trying to get everybody in a certain time period. There is a time where the league says you can't bring players here. Yeah, so you're yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: In that mode now. So it's it's the scouts.
Speaker 3: It's building boards, it's building your stack, it's building the board by position by round, and it's a lot of discussions.
Speaker 2: And it's really it's it's all set in that one room.
Speaker 3: You come out, you eat lunch, might go get a workout, and then you come back in and you do it. There's you know, it's actually really a a neat process.
Speaker 2: Do you go through each position.
Speaker 3: You know, you start with maybe your highest graded player or you might be starting in alphabetical order, and work your way all through until you get done with the position, and then you move on to the next. So it's a it's a pretty just u It's it's almost like the movie Groundhog Day, if you've ever seen with Bill Murray, where you live the same day over and over and over again. But the word hectic or running around I wouldn't use in this case.
Speaker 4: I was going to say people I've run into people that are actually in the war room and during the draft day, everyone I've run into that. I'm like, hey, how's he going draft? You know, you do get that sense of stress, that sense of which is normal because you have so much going on and you're so busy and kind of running around. But I think that happens every single year, with every single draft that comes around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pressure that scouts that you run into feel is having to present the player because this is really the first opportunity that Jerry and Steven have to get to and maybe Mike McCarthy too, have got to see the player, and you want to be able to give the player his due and as well as his team drafts. You want to present in a way that makes that player in that light, whether the good things the player does, the things he might need to work on, where he fits in the stack, where he fits on the board.
Speaker 2: There's not a pressure on you to do that.
Speaker 3: Because there might be some guys in your areas you're driving around that you're like, man, I really like this kid. I would love for us to draft this guy. So you don't want to let that player down and let yourself down that you didn't do a good enough job presenting the player. That's that's a lot of the stress that these guys feel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a ton of meetings and everybody I talked to you on that side of the building all is like meeting after meeting after meeting after meeting. Well, I know that's our world too.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go. We've done.
Speaker 3: You're in an unusual situation here and I've lived it myself because Jerry and Steven and this is this is just you know, this is because your owner is the general manager. He also has other businesses too, so he has to carve out time to be so you work around their schedule as well. So it could be a little bit of a you know, hey, we got six hours blocked, Okay, we got to take an hour off. Now we're gonna go another four hours. You know, it's kind of a it's it's very unique, but it works for these guys. They do a really good job about it.
Speaker 6: Let's real quick, Brian. You mentioned the board for those people out there that are listening that aren't regular listeners to the Draft show and may not understand how that all works. Just quickly, in a quick two minute assessment.
Speaker 2: You're asking me to do something I can't do. How do you how do.
Speaker 6: You build a board like they are all these names, and obviously there are you know, some people might think, well, you literally just list them all in order of how you'd like to take them. But how does that all work? How does the what are you trying to get to when you're building your board?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: If in my my other job is working on one oh five three the fan, and I'm going to post my board on our website, so you have an idea, I do it exactly how you know. I learned the Cowboys the Packers back in the day and putting a board out there. I'm going to put a stack up for you too, from one to two to two ten on the players I've looked at and what order I would take them. It's really to me, you're all too ten I did I put in order of how would take them?
Speaker 2: From one to two? Ten is what I would do.
Speaker 3: And so it's you know, you're kind of thinking about, Okay, how do you you know, how does this go compared to this defensive tackle, How does this corner compare to this wide receiver? How would I how do I feel about I have to go back and read some of my notes and say, okay, I like this guy a little bit better.
Speaker 2: That's what they're doing in there.
Speaker 8: I mean, let me catch off real quick and ask you you doing your board based off of all the teams? Are the Cowboys doing their board based off of all the teams? If the number one player on Kansas City's board, if the number one player is a quarterback, is he number one on their board? And on they have Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's the thing that its talking about the Cowboys. The Cowboys do the teams do.
Speaker 8: The board based off of where they would pick them based off.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, you don't want a window dresser board. You know, you don't care about the outside anything.
Speaker 2: I don't care. No, I don't care.
Speaker 3: You just you're looking at your You're looking at your particular team, and you got to even though you have Patrick Mahomes, you have to give these players their due and you have to say, Okay, if we were drafting, if we were drafted, where would we put up Bryce Young quarterback Alabama? Is Bryce Young in our stack? When we go one to two fifty or how many other players? They usually put about one hundred fifty players on their board. So from one to one fifty, where would we put Bryce Young in that and what one of the great examples of the Cowboys getting their board right was if you go back to the Johnny Manziel draft where they had Zach Martin and they lose Ryan Shazeer, who's the tag ahead of them, and then Alsten chazers off the board.
Speaker 2: Who's the next guy, Zach Martin.
Speaker 3: Jerry Jones, general manager, goes, Johnny Manziel's tax is still there, guys, So now he brings it up in the room. Everybody kind of goes, but Jerry, Zach Martin is our next, our tag. That's that's that's the work that we did. We're you know, we're not window dressing our board. We're not just putting guys up there to put them up there. We're putting up there how we would take them, you know, because if Kansas City got if they're at at thirty one and Bryce Young, who they put at second maybe on their board, is there, they should take by all means, should take Bryce Young is what they should do if they're if they're true to their stack and.
Speaker 2: Their board, and do what with them?
Speaker 8: Trade them?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I think keeping I think you keep them in there, you keep you hold on you never know.
Speaker 2: I mean, the teams play without, they play without your quarterback every.
Speaker 6: Once so well, true as thing like what a.
Speaker 2: Parcel that would be a luxury pick, then we are.
Speaker 6: We're in the talent acquisition business. So you try to get the best talent you can and by at some point it's going to be valuable to you, whether it is a trade or work you actually ready to play the player.
Speaker 2: I think too though.
Speaker 3: It's to me the great thing that the Cowboys have been able to do under Will McClay and his administration is like when a CD Lamb becomes available, you know everybody had them, taking Chase on the defensive end from or outside linebacker from LSU, everybody, you know, everybody had them. It's oh, they're taking it in and they're taking it in and taking it in. And the night of the draft, we're all like, they hand in the CD Lamb card and you're going, my god, they did it. They actually took the best player on their board. And I think the Cowboys at twenty six are set up that way right now. Whatever pick they make at twenty six is a pick that's going to help them.
Speaker 2: It really really is.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a guard, whether it's a tight end, whether it's a wide receiver, whether it's a corner linebacker, that they're set up in a way now that whatever player falls to them on their board, they'll be good to go.
Speaker 6: That's like a call in our before we go to our first break, we had a call from Jim in Pasadena, California.
Speaker 2: Jim, What up? Jem? Hey Jim? How are we doing?
Speaker 9: I'm fine? How are you this morning?
Speaker 2: Just turned under radio? We're good? Okay?
Speaker 9: Should I turn mine down? Is that what you're telling?
Speaker 2: Please do?
Speaker 6: That's what you got for?
Speaker 2: Okay? Thank you.
Speaker 9: You know, they're talking about drafting a quarterback that falls, and I'm wondering, can you if one falls and you take them and another team doesn't anticipate you doing that, and they get on the horn and go, look, we'll give you a bouquet of picks and this very same draft, can you trade a guy you just drafted in the same draft?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: You know what I don't we've seen it, well, no, it happened to the NBA all the time.
Speaker 2: It happens the NBA.
Speaker 3: But we've seen it with uh, well what about to say what it happened with Eli Manning?
Speaker 2: Man Yeah, Eli.
Speaker 3: Manning and Philip Rivers, you know, all of a sudden, like the Chargers take the Chargers take Manning and the Giants get on the horn and say, no, we're gonna, We're gonna, Well we want.
Speaker 2: To trade here, So yes you can, you can absolutely give you that.
Speaker 8: Usually it gets done within the fifteen minutes or however long it is for the round.
Speaker 2: We've done it before in twenty seconds on the clock before the waves.
Speaker 4: People watching the draft, I feel like sometimes it can feel like it takes forever to make the other pick and the other team to go. But in reality, when you're dealing with all that trying to figure out exactly what to do, that amount of time that you have to make those big decisions or even pick up the phone or call somebody or take a phone call and decide if you want to make any kind of trade, I mean, it all happens very very quickly, and I don't know how they managed.
Speaker 3: Well, you kind of throw you kind of throw the chum in the water when you're like your fish and you throw chum in the water to try and get the big fish to come up.
Speaker 2: And so what you do is pre draft you'll get on the phone.
Speaker 3: When I was working at Pro Personnel, I used to call all the teams and I'm like, listen, hey, we're open if you want to do anything, Man, make sure you give Steven a call. You got the numbers, but hey, we're ready to be We're here for you. Don't feel like you can't pick up the phone and not talk to Dallas because we're open.
Speaker 8: And it lets you know just how much they value other picks down the road. Because they have a guy that they want to take and they've got six minutes left on the clock. They're gonna wait. Yep, They're going to wait to see because they as much as they like this guy, they also want calls. They want to call. They want to say maybe we can move back, because what if we get this guy and other picks.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, Micah, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: In the draft twenty five years ago, I was working in Philadelphia. I stud in the draft in Philly with Micha Lombardi and if you look at that round, we took Trey Thomas and it was the quickest that any team turned in their card because I hated Ambart. Just what you said all those years is sitting in the draft room before that, and and like, you know who you want to pick, Just pick the damn guy. Let's go on, let's move on, you know. And at that time it was fifteen minutes a pick. I think we handed our cart in with like eight minutes left on the clock. I'm like, guys, we know who we want, right. Everybody's like, yeah, we're not gonna get any calls. Yeah, turn the card in, let's go. And then we moved on. So, if you go back and look at all the picks in that first round, the Eagles had the quickest pick because I that time was like you, I'm sick of waiting around.
Speaker 2: For you to pick when you know who you're gonna take.
Speaker 3: Take the guy, move on, let's and then they shorten the rounds, which I think is a really really good thing they did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd love to get it down till minute, but I don't think they're gonna do that.
Speaker 8: It's not fantasy football hockey fan.
Speaker 2: I think hockey does that. Hockey's got a really quick one. I think they don't. Yeah, they don't mess around in hockey.
Speaker 6: All right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. When I talk about Stephen Jones. He had some interesting comments yesterday on the fan so that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 2: Tom thought it would be secure to jog and the cheetah.
Speaker 1: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g's it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 7: So what do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller lite and Tim gallon hats while yelling how about them cowboys? You call it Miller Time in Dallas. Here's to the cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller time celebrate responsibly twenty twenty one Miller Brewing Company, fort Or, Texas.
Speaker 2: Want to use what the pros use?
Speaker 11: How about the fisher O men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Starter, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The starter includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full size intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Teamjblet's Get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys The Jack Black Starter ten bucks, free shipping.
Speaker 12: When you build, you start with the foundation, and home ownership is a foundation of a stable future. The Bank of America Community home Ownership Commitment has helped over thirty four thousand people lay the groundwork so far. With up to ten thousand dollars. Set your down payment or three percent of the purchase price, whichever is less. The satisfaction of owning your own place can become a reality. Visit Bankofamerica dot com slash homeowner to learn more. What would you lack the power to do? Bank of America Ana Equal housing lender credit and collateral assopie to approval restrictions apply. This is not a commitment to lend.
Speaker 8: Back to the Break, the official twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine NFL Draft Guide is now available to your Cowboys Draft with the Cowboys. Get your Draft Guide today a Dallas Cowboy dot Com slash Star Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star of the segment presented by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's Chas is on it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go show right there.
Speaker 6: Let's jump into Stephen Jones comments. There were a few comments that he made yesterday. I thought we were interested in that. Pulled out Brady and give us an opportunity to talk about the first one. He was talking about what they did in free agency, and he was talking about the fact that he feels like they did enough in free agency to where they are in a position now going into the draft where they can choose the best available player. Simple question for you guys, Do you guys agree with that? Do you feel like they've done enough where they really don't have to reach for any position here at the draft.
Speaker 2: I absolutely think so. I mean me personally, I love the use of the.
Speaker 3: Draft picks, of the compensatory picks to go out and grab a corner. There was some questions like it's a deep draft when we look at the corners and stuff and what rounds. But to go out and get a veteran corner that's still playing at a high level, it keeps you from having to maybe address that really early in the draft. You know, you look at what they did with the wide receiver. There's so much chaos in that wide receiver room. Yeah, which you did. You got a smaller guy, but you got a guy that's proven. You got a guy that people know about, that you can use and how to use, and you don't have the questions of like, Okay, if I take a Cooks, Cooks would be perfect in this draft because he kind of fits the profile of some of the top players. But you know, Cooks, these other ones, the Zay Flowers from Boston College, you know, the downs from North Carolina, smaller guys, but we haven't seen him play at an NFL level. So now that kind of takes the Cowboys like, Okay, we don't have to address that early you know, I really do like what they did.
Speaker 2: I said this earlier. I really do believe this.
Speaker 3: They can now draft and just say take that guy, Take that guy, Take that guy with out the pressure of having to force a pick, maybe like they did several years ago with a Taco Charlton, you know that kind of situation.
Speaker 8: I mean, it comes down to Jake Ferguson, you know, that tight end and then whoever, whatever they feel like is their left guard right now, is it Juma Edoga or Tyler Smith, and then however that works out. But to me, there are some plug and play opportunities, and I think tight end and guard maybe linebacker, running back would be the guys that you would take there that would come right in and play. And so that's where I would lean towards, is like, yeah, you can take all those guys and if this year ceedee Lamb's falling to them, then they have to consider it. But I think tiebreakers should be the guys that the plug and play that could play. And that's why to me, left guard would still be a tight end I think could be up there. But I'm a fan of Jake Ferguson and Peyton Endershye. If you didn't draft a tight end at all, I would okay, I think it would be fine. I mean, yeah, you would prefer one. But they're getting these guys. They're getting undrafted free agent tight ends almost every year, So I trust lounded Wells in that group to to figure it out even if you didn't draft one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think they've done an excellent job this free agency addressing every position and just allowing themselves to actually pick the best talent on the board. The only only position that I think still needs to be addressed is kicker. But at the same time, that's not like you use a draft pick on a kicker anyways. So other than that, I mean, I'm being going through my head, like all the positions, and I feel like there's really obviously, like nick mentioned, areas that we know you're gonna need to play in a player and be a starter right off the bat. But at the same time, there are no necessarily big holes where you're like, Okay, if we have to play a game tonight, I think we could actually play a game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's talk about the tight end position, because Nicki brought it up and Steven talked about it on the show, and one of the things that stood out to me. He was talking about tight ends and what you look for and tight ends, and he was talking about how rare it is to find a tight end that does both well, talking about blocking and past catching. Looking at the guys that are in this draft particularly, do you see those types of guys in this draft? Because I've always said I don't I agree with you, Nick, like, I don't know that I would necessarily feel like I need to go out and get a tight end. However, the one caveat to that is, either if there's a tight end who is a Travis Kelce type, the type that is a huge mismatch that I can line up everywhere, so it's like drafting more of a pass catcher than yeah, than just a tight end. Or if you tell me I could find a guy who is really good at both he can now block and add something to the run game and still catch passes. Because I don't know that any of the tight ends on this team you would consider to be great blockers. What do we have in the way of those kinds of prospects at the tight end position?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: Majors asked the question, and he asked me if you could ask Stephen Jones a question, what would you ask?
Speaker 2: And he used my question so.
Speaker 3: Because I was trying to figure out there's two questions of trying to figure out who's going to play left guard with Tyler Smith, what's going to happen there? Because if they immediately say Tyler Smith is going to play left guard, then I think you can eliminate.
Speaker 2: Early a guard being picked here. I really do.
Speaker 3: And then the next question I had was if the traits, what are the traits you're looking for? And to tie it in, they obviously have a couple of guys that can get up the field, can catch with with Hindershott and Ferguson, maybe not as good as blockers. Okay, now if you say, well, the blocking part, it's hard to find a guy. Mayor tight In from Notre Dame can do both. Washington tight End from Georgia can do both. When you start talking about Kenkaid Utah guys that really not a great blocker, Musgrave Oregon State not a great blocker, but down the field players. So if the Cowboys at twenty six are going to try and to dress a blocking situation, a duel guy Mayor from Notre Dame Washington from Georgia. Those are the two guys that you would probably consider that gives you a little clear path to what they're looking for there.
Speaker 2: It's they say, he's right the way the college game is.
Speaker 3: It's very rare that you have these what they call in line tight ends or tight ends that line up next to the tackle and block.
Speaker 2: Very rare.
Speaker 8: Who is the best complete tight end in the NFL? I mean, I I get, I get Kelsey, Kelsey and Kill are the two best. And because they're so great.
Speaker 3: But Kittle blocks, YEA, Kittles can block and that and that, and that's the thing Kelsey is. Kelsey doesn't really want to do that. I mean, but you know he's a kind of a getting away. You watch Kittle and then used check and they get both of them on the same side. It's coming down hill at you real fast. You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 8: Kill is probably the most complete and the most completely.
Speaker 6: The thing is their games where Kittle doesn't really have a lot of catches, but you watch him closely, he's making blocks like he that use him. It's just he's not one is going to always Kelsey in every game. He's going to get off because that's just a part of their offense, and he's going to be catching passes.
Speaker 2: They run the.
Speaker 3: Ball behind Kittle, Yeah, you know, they really do. And they've got a really they've got a good offensive line. They got a physical running game, and a lot of it starts because of what Kittle does at the point of attack.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I also look at at Witting his first year. I look at Dalton Schultz his first two years, and I'm not saying either one of them became these great blockers, but they were getting the way blockers enough, especially Witten, and I think Ferguson coming from Wisconsin running the football the way is I just give him a year. Give let's see what happened this year. Hendershot as well. Hender SHOT's got a frame that you can put ten to fifteen pounds on good weight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a light tight I'd like to see.
Speaker 8: I just want to see what those two guys have and and but it gets kind of weird. You draft a tight end first, second, third round. Now they're going to be in the mix. You start getting later on to address that position, and are they going to be better than what you have? Probably not?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I think that the later you get in this draft, though, I'll throw a name, you know, his name exactly. Strange from Penn State was like a fourth round type of a guy player one oh seven on my stack, you know, I think him Wiley from Cincinnati, uh Latto from Alabama. These guys are more you're giving up downfield stuff to get more blocking, to get more. But those are all like I say, those are all more more like Allen from Clemson. Guys that kind of are are good blockers, but not like why you know, there's a reason why they're talking about all those other guys at the top of the board. And then as we get to you know, tight end one oh seven, tight end one twenty one, tight end one twenty six, tight end one thirty eight, That's that's how they stack.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: I had a question about Darnell Washington and Georgia. Yeah, if Bowers the tight end, who's going to be probably a first round.
Speaker 2: Pick, well he'd be maybe a top ten.
Speaker 8: He's unbelievable Georgia. If he wasn't there, would Washington have would he be more of a pass guess.
Speaker 2: Or would Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that to me, I was watching, Uh, I was watching Stetson Bennett one day, the quarterback at Georgia, and you're watching him throw the ball, throw the ball, and they get down in the red zone, and every time they're throwing the ball to Washington to tight end and and like that. Every time they me you know, Bowers is making plays, he's like kind of the throw it to him and run guy. Where Washington is the Hey, we're in the red zone, you're six seven, you're two hundred and sixty two hundred and sixty two pounds. Nobody can cover you. I mean, that's that's where Stetson bitnick. That's where Stetson Benning. It's not it's I mean there's times you watch Washington catch the ball and run, not like Bowers, but but you watch him in the red zone. It's like, damn, he threw it to him again, and it's like it's like they have nobody on the other side of the field that can cover him.
Speaker 8: Like he's a rebound type guy goes at the guy. Yeah, Martell's yeah.
Speaker 2: See that's martellas See.
Speaker 3: That's why that's why I think you need to be alert about Washington here, because Jerry Jones' vision for what Martell's Bennett was Yeah, they drafted Martelli's Bennett with that thought of look at this guy, kind of a mismatch. And I think I think Washington is a better foot athlete than what Bennett is left football. I think he loves football more than what year we're at. But but hey, it's good to have other interest.
Speaker 2: You don't have to love football all the time.
Speaker 6: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to have other interest.
Speaker 8: All right, man could could have gained thirty pounds and would have been the best right tackle left.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's there's Jason Peters. Well that's the thought. That's the thought maybe Washington. Really that's the thought that maybe this this era of football with for Washington could be at six seven, he's two sixty two, two sixty four.
Speaker 2: Do you bulk him up and make him? Is he? This is he? This era's Jason Peters?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, all right, let's get one more hit topic real quick that we want to hit on. Stephen Jones. He was talking about Tyler Smith and he was talking about continuing to have him at left tackle. He says it not totally committed to anything yet. He says, ideally they would love to keep him there. And have him continue to work there. My question for you guys, is there any scenario for you, and this is not thinking about the Cowboy's just for you. Is there any scenario where you would not have Tyler Smith as your starting left tackle when the season begins.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's the scenario of a practice where they're like, Tyron Smith looks like he's turned back the clock. Tyron Smith looks like he has looked ten years ago, six years ago, and Terrence Steele has been unbelievable. He's back, He's ready to go. Like, what are we gonna do? And we can't. Nobody at left guard can block. This guy can't block. That's my scenario, Like, all right, shift now, how long will it last?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: But but Tyler Smith was like a yo.
Speaker 2: Yo back shift.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, shift happens.
Speaker 2: I think there's I'm sorry, I'm jaded. I'm jaded.
Speaker 3: I would not to talk about moving Terrett Stiell to left guard. Oh makes me and and I and everybody knows my thing with Terrence Steele. Everybody knows that. And I apologize. I can't apologize, Marvin. I apologized to Dave Campo for not doing a good enough job for him while he was here as a head coach.
Speaker 2: But this is one of you.
Speaker 3: I just man, there is such a good combination between Martin and Steele at right on that right side there really is. They run the ball better when those two were together. And to put him at left guard, I think we'd see some of those Connor Williams things. I think we would see a little bit of a struggle with power. I'm not saying it's going to happen every single time, but I think there would be a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think they I would hope that they learned their lesson there.
Speaker 3: I think Tyler Smith is going would be is going to be a hell of a left tackle.
Speaker 2: I really really do.
Speaker 3: I think that for what he was able to do play guard and to jump in there and not be a not be a detriment at all. But man, I just can't I can't see it right now. I can't see him playing left guard. And get I get that thought in my mind about Tyron Smith just when I want to say that Tyron Smith looks like he's, you know, twenty three years old. Again, something happens at a practice and you're going, well, when I can see him for a while, you know, and then I just can't. I can't bring myself to be at that level where I'm like, let's go, let's go with those five yeah, because I know something's probably gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Well, and then you also always hear the same words of like I feel better than I've ever felt, and that's just quite impossible after you sustain your body's sustained so many injuries. And I think that over the years, and to be fair, like Tyron Smith, he has still played at a pretty high level, I think, despite all his injuries. But over the past couple of years, I do think his game has kind of taken a dip, a decline. And I get it, Like even last year, him playing on the other side, you can see the difference in his game. He wasn't the same guy, which is fair. You get somebody that's always been playing on the other side and then you move him, that's gonna be a different You're gonna see a difference there. But to Nick scenario, I think we all agree that that's kind of a pretty impossible thing to imagine that that's gonna happen. But at the end of the day, and this always happens, to me where we sit here prior to even training camp or prior to the start of the season, and we're like, well, what are we gonna do with who's gonna play, what where? What's gonna happen? Somehow, someway, it always sorts itself out with the O line. I've learned and come to realize that it just always finds a way to kind of figure things out and things kind of start falling into place because something happens to somebody, and then now you're left.
Speaker 13: With what you got, which are the guys that are ready to get There's a lot of moving pieces though now because you have a new offensive line coach there, and you think kind of with Joe Philbin, I had an idea what they might do because with Joe Philben, but with Mike Solari, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 2: Now that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Now I'm going into all those adjustments that you're talking about, the ability to shuffle guys around, and Steven Jones talks about it all the time. Even on one oh five to three, the fan ask them the continuity question, says, you'd love continuity. Well, they've come to the point now they know they're not going to have continuity. That is the NFL today. You are not going to have continuity with your offensive line. There's always something that is going to happen, and you've got to be ready for it.
Speaker 6: All Right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back. We'll get some fan questions. We got those rolling in from Twitter. We'll be back, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 5: The season is finally here. For months, we've been gearing up to win. Now it's time for the team that performs on any field. United agg and Turf with John Deere zero turns for mowing.
Speaker 14: Compact tractors for loading, many excavators for digging, Gator utility vehicles for hauling, implements for grading, hay tools for bailing, United Agon Turf for winning the official lag and Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: United egg In Turf dot Com for more.
Speaker 1: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: This sweet?
Speaker 6: Did you get to work on time?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: But I just realized it's Sunday, Little sweets his.
Speaker 5: Head on home.
Speaker 2: Doctor Pepper's on its way.
Speaker 10: So sweet you need?
Speaker 6: Maybe there's nothing better. I'll bet you've probably done something that deserves I've.
Speaker 12: Not done that.
Speaker 3: You investionistic in a FG and I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: It's a non fungible token, something that is.
Speaker 12: A When you build, you start with the foundation, and home ownership is a foundation of a stable future. The Bank of America Community home Ownership Commitment has helped over thirty four thousand people lay the groundwork so far, with up to ten thousand dollars torture down payment or three percent of the purchase price, whichever is less. The satisfaction of owning your own place can become a reality. Visit Bankofamerica dot com slash homeowner to learn more. What would you lack the power to do? Bank of America Ana Equal Housing lender credit and collateral assopet to approval restrictions apply. This is not a commitment to.
Speaker 2: Lend back to the break.
Speaker 8: You know, this place has a lot of cool people that comes around every now and again. But guys, Dolly Parton and Garth Brooks are coming to but coming to the Star on May eleventh at the Ford Center. This is the Academy of Country Music Awards. Joined them live in Country, in Country in person at Country Music's Party of the Year. You get your tickets before they're gone. See geek dot com. Just a few tickets from Maine, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to nine to five. Maybe her favorite maybe the song working.
Speaker 3: No No, No, No, Julne and so sad.
Speaker 6: In the last two or three years and I was like, this is a genius song.
Speaker 8: It's eerie to me, the greatest song love song, or it's really the saddest song ever. It's her song. It's I Will Always Love You. Whitney Houston took it to a level she's unbelievable. But as Garth, I mean, I mean, Dolly Parton sang that song that's the saddest song ever if you really listen to the words and all that. But but you know, Whitney Houston kind of took it to another level. But yeah, but I mean Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks.
Speaker 6: Kind of legendary.
Speaker 8: Yeah, even you that don't you don't like country music at all? You've heard of them.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I don't like.
Speaker 6: I just don't listen to country music. It's not that I don't like it. I mean it's fine.
Speaker 8: You listen to it if you liked it.
Speaker 3: I dare you to like if Derek has a chance to meet Garth Brooks or Dolly part you say this guy doesn't like country music, what.
Speaker 8: I would hate?
Speaker 2: I mean a challenge. This is Derek and he runs everything here, but he hates country music.
Speaker 8: You know, Joe Trey Han is gonna be running somebody around. I hate from like Derek. Hey, my favorite do you need yeah for a job?
Speaker 2: Who are you? My favorite?
Speaker 8: Brooks?
Speaker 2: My favorite story all the time?
Speaker 3: And then we got questions, gets phone calls, who my favorite story of everything? Up meeting celebrities. Here was the time I was watching film with Sting, the wrestler.
Speaker 2: That's the greatest, and he was in full steam.
Speaker 3: Gear and with the bat and everything, and I'm like, I hear he goes rumble, looks like he's stilling the ball pretty well. And I'm like, yeah, I think so. And I turned around and he's got full steing gear on. He's breaking down with me watching practice.
Speaker 6: That's the craziness of being in this building. You never know, you never know, never always interested in what you're doing because you're talking football, watching football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's well.
Speaker 6: Comes at training camp out in the tent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same the time to Chris Christie was the governor of the New Jersey, I say, I'm not trying to make a political thing. I'm sitting there one day watching tape on it and he comes walking by, just stops and kind of what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: And I introduced my SoCs Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I follow you on the on dot com. Yeah you like your work, you know, And I'm like, well, thank you, sir. You know you're sitting there watching tape, you know, Governor Jersey, hanging out watching a little tape.
Speaker 2: You know, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 8: It's like a little sports center commercials. It is everything. It really is, like like it was a while ago, but I just remember sitting there just working and then all of a sudden you can hear something happening, and rowdy on a scooter just comes whipping by.
Speaker 6: And you're just like, that's where we work, man, that's where we work. Where we were, It's just part of it, all right. Let's jump into a couple of fan questions. Actually got a phone call from Antoine and North Carolina. Antoine, what's up.
Speaker 14: Doing?
Speaker 15: Fellas? Not question to you, guys, does position flex Does that make a player come off better than someone that's a top rank player, or not top rank but rank above someone else? Do that make you alter your board a little?
Speaker 6: All right, thanks for the call.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think it does it, but also depends on the round. It also depends because if in the first round, like I think, it comes down to guys that are available to play right now, so I'd rather play a guy that's a better, let's say, guard right now at twenty six. But if you're talking second or third round, this guy is a guard, he's also a center, then I think position flex matters more. But if I'm drafting a guy in the first round, it's because I expect you to be playing on Week one, and so position flex doesn't matter as much.
Speaker 2: To be right, then, I.
Speaker 3: Think posision flex is good, but I've also seen it kind of wreck a career.
Speaker 2: I've seen Tyrone Crawford.
Speaker 3: They could never find a spot, and now they're dealing with these defensive backs, you know, with there trying to figure out where these guys are the corners or safeties and all that, and then the next thing you know, it's you never really found a position. Sometimes position flex means you're good enough, but it also can hurt you because you're never great at one spot.
Speaker 2: You're never great, you know.
Speaker 3: And I Tyron Crawford, he got a lot of money because of Rod MARINELI thought he could play the under tackle to the three. He just got too banged up. He couldn't play it because they kept trying to figure out where to play him. And I think his career got shortened because of that.
Speaker 4: Because we also, you're constantly having to change your physique, like your body because you change in weight. Okay, you're not gonna have the same body type for this position as opposed to that, which is something that I heard Tyron Crawford talk about a lot having to you know, one year we saw him gain weight a little bit. Next year he was losing weight. So it's just that back and forth having to change constantly.
Speaker 3: It could be a blessing and a curse all in the same time, depending on the player.
Speaker 6: Let's take a question from Mayo. He says, if the Cowboys draft a wide receiver in the first two rounds, does that make drafting a tight end less of a need? And he's thinking about target share.
Speaker 8: There possibly and goes back to what I had said before. If you don't draft the tight end in the first couple of rounds, now he comes in here, is he going to be better than what you've got? Possibly? I mean, I mean it's it's you could see that, but but I just think it's gonna be it's gonna be tough. Now, if you draft him the first couple of rounds, then yeah, that's why you're drafting him because you're expecting him. Is he That's what Jerry's gonna ask he He's gonna point is he is he better than what we've got with Ndershot? And Ferguson, Oh yeah, Jerry or whatever, then we draft him. But if he's not then then then you don't so to go back. I didn't answer the question though. I was just talking more about tight end. But if you get a receiver, yeah, that's just that's more targeted.
Speaker 3: The question that's going to be posed in the draft room by Jerry Jones's and they're gonna keep bringing it up and it could be a block, It could be a block.
Speaker 2: Here is where we are? Where are we with Tolbert? Where are we with Tolbert? He goes?
Speaker 3: You guys talked me into this in the third round. We have actually talked about this kid in the second round last year. I've made the determination we're going to take Sam Williams. We got Tolbert in the third. Where are we with Tolbert?
Speaker 2: Right now? Does everybody feel about Tolbert? What does everybody feel about Gallop? Right now? Was that just one off? Did we Is something really wrong with him? You know?
Speaker 3: That's the discussions that need to be had in the room. Not so much about would it, you know, would keep one guy from catching a ball, But if you're interested in, you know, adding a guy, Jerry's gonna ask that question, what about what about Tolbert? What about Ferguson, what about hinder Shot? You know, tell me about what are we gonna do here? When you are we adding something too? And so I kind of feel like though you just you make the determination. They they don't know what's gonna happen with Tolbert, They really don't, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope you hope that he plays to the level that you thought he was going to play when you're drafted him last year.
Speaker 3: And I also hope it doesn't deter them from taking a wide receiver that they really like.
Speaker 4: Well, tell them what is out there as far as like is it could it because we keep talking for the first round, we keep talking about tight end, we keep talking about the offensive lineman, even running back if somebody falls down. But as far as wide receivers, are someone that's talented enough to actually.
Speaker 3: Oh they got talented player, but you're taller than every one of them, you know that kind of That's that's the thing about this draft.
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing about this.
Speaker 3: Draft, that that you have to figure out of these five nine wide receivers, who who is going to be the one that fits the best. This coach has a history of not taking slot only wide receivers, but they visited Flowers from Boston College, kind of a slot only player, So you know, maybe things are changing. Maybe Mike McCarthy's like, hey, well we can work with this. We you know this players too talented. But Flowers, Boston College, Downs, North Carolina, Scott Cincinnati. Seriously, you're taller than all of them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's whoever figures this out. Whoever figures this out, it could have the best draft at wide receiver. But there's a lot of questions about the height and the weight of these wide receivers. Yeah, exactly, but slot only, right, yeah, only you know if they take if they take you know, if you if you.
Speaker 4: Take saying there are those guys, I can still be for that absolutely.
Speaker 6: But they got on a free agency I mean, yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: If if they're willing, did they did they take their receiver in Cooks. That's going to keep them from drafting somebody at twenty six. Yeah, that's that's what you but you know, that's that's the situation you're gonna have. And then throw in like I mentioned, you know the kid you drafted last year too. I mean that's going to be another question that has to be asked.
Speaker 8: Is there a zero percent chance that Ceedee Lamb does not get re signed.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't, Yes, zero He's.
Speaker 2: Back, right, And that's Hollard. I don't think so, hollar See. I think I think.
Speaker 3: That's where I think that's where if you talk about running back and you say, whoever you draft, and this draft is deep in running backs, whoever you take it run, I think will be your starting running back in twenty twenty four. I don't think it'll be Tony Pollard. I really Stephen Jones talks about what we'd like to get Tony done.
Speaker 2: I could see this being just like Dalton Schultz. Yeah, we don't want to lose the weapon.
Speaker 3: You know, there's some questions about his injury coming back, but him, Britt Brown, those guys will work their rears off to get back on on the field. But there's I think that you know, it's going to be a situation where Tony Pollard making the money now ten million dollars, Tony Pollard might be fortunate to get ten million dollars for three years.
Speaker 2: You know, in the next time around yeah, and free agency.
Speaker 8: Yeah, running backs and agents. I mean, it's a really tough situation for these agents to kind of figure out the best thing because a lot of these guys they see the guy next to him in their locker and he's a different position. He's like, second contract is time to get the bag. As a running back, you want to stay in the league, and the best way to stay in the league is maybe to take, like Brian said, a deal that's it's like this will this will protect you because Zeke was like and Zeke deserved it. They ran him to death. He and he deserved that money that he got. But it's tough when you're at this this part in their career. I mean, you look at the top ten players on this team as far as experience on the team, Tony Pollard's eighth. I still view him as kind of a younger guy. He's the eighth most tenured player on this team, tied for you know others. But like, what did that? When did that happen? Isn't he this young, shy guy that his parents are a barbecue place in Memphis and no, now now he's so.
Speaker 3: They figured out how to use Yeah, it kind of it took you kind of figure out.
Speaker 2: They figured out how to finally used.
Speaker 6: Him, man, And that might be actually the reason why he actually does have a shot at the second contract, because they didn't use him as much as they have used traditionally used back to the NFL in the first few years.
Speaker 8: What I want to see is is this year's I want to I want to know who's this year's Tony Pollard in terms of because I was told they, you know, they do mock drafts for the next two weeks here before leading up to the draft. In every mock draft they did, Tony Pollard was drafted in the third or fourth round every single time they they wanted to take Tony Powler. I just wanted, who's this year's guy, that guy that we're taking him? Well, regardless, Switzer was another guy like that too.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, you know, if you want to throw if you want to throw something out there like that, because there's plenty of opportunity. There's you know, when you look at the draft and we have the draft show coming up after our show and we get into these running backs a lot. You know, Derek is his school Roshan Johnson. If you as much as I love Jon Robinson, Roshan Johnson. You know when you when you start to look at how they're using and how that's a guy right there, when you start talking about that third round could be a really.
Speaker 2: Sweet spot if you're nowhere and tear right. No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: You got great complimentary, great compliment back.
Speaker 3: He catches the ball, he's always finishing forward.
Speaker 2: They did a great job.
Speaker 3: At Texas using both those backs and featuring really both those backs.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 6: And I think it's going to help ro Shan in the NFL. I really do. Guy came out of high schools as a quarterback, yeah, and transition to running back. So he's a bigger guy, taller guy.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys going to be back next week heading into the draft. It'll be draft week. Well we'll talk. We's got some names next week. We'll get Brian and Nick and Amber to give you guys some names on some players they.
Speaker 3: Expect to I don't know if this anymore.
Speaker 6: Call out on Thursday night, Friday night, and then again on Saturday till then for Nick Ea WHN Brian brought to Sambergarcia. I'm Derek eagleson This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 14: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.