Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We've got Luca Ferrari, the co founder, CEO and chair of Bending Spoons, joining us from the Nasdaq. Also with us Bailey Lipschaltz, Bloomberg News IPO reporter who joins us here in the studio. Look, I want to start with what exactly the portfolio is and sort of how you want to communicate to investors what you're going to do with assets that many people remember from the world of web one point zero.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. First of all, let me explain how we operate, because it's a quite unusual, perhaps unique. We've spent the last thirteen years building what I consider an exceptional platform, a very high time in density, a culture of high performance and rationality, fifty plus proprietary technologies and operating system for running digital businesses as effectively and as efficiently as possible, and a lot of data that helps us make better decisions at the stage of acquisition and operations. Now, what we do with this engine as we go and acquire digital business design, express potential, and we integrate them very deeply onto this platform in a way that I haven't seen anybody do before. They share the entirely the same technological layer. We have a core team that moves fluidly across all our businesses and we transform them deeply. We rebuild the ORGA technology, the monetization, We accelerate innovation, latching the features. So, let's say, pretty unique model. And as you were describing, we have established over time a portfolio of brands, some of which are very well known and some of which are more dated. We also have bought more up and coming companies, but there's a bit of both. We win. We do well, not necessarily when the company we buy is a young or old, growing fast or more stagnating, but and we can make that trajectory a lot better. So that's what we try to excel.
Speaker 3: Look at we were talking earlier about this and I just am interested if you can explain for viewers kind of the path to better monetization. Again, you have about a half a billion monthly active users, but only a small fraction of that are actually deriving value from What does that mean for the company going forward? And how do you grow that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, help a billion people use our products quote unquote only a nine million people, so roughly two percent pay for them, which obviously is an opportunity. We also believe that it's important to provide excellent value to our customers, so we're not looking to monetize as much as possible, and we're happy to have a vast population of users who use our products without paying and they bring value through word of mouth and that will probably continue to be the case. But yes, we have an opportunity to monetize better and we have a history of doing that I think quite successfully, So yes, going forward, hopefully we can improve the percentage of our users to to pay for our products.
Speaker 3: And yeah, look at no, just thinking through though kind of what changes when companies go public? Now you have to answer to public investors and obviously that draws the potential towards, you know, partnering with AI companies, letting them train their ll ms off of their data. How are you guys thinking about the potential partnership opportunities? Again, it's no longer a company where you and your friends are running it. Now you have to answer to the public investors. Is there any sense of pressure from them that you would need to better monetize and therefore partner with say a open AI or anthropic.
Speaker 1: I think managed points as in being a company run like friends like that in a long time. We feel we are a highly professional organization. We've had a blue chip investors on board for many years. We will Bailey give for a durable capital have been with us for many years at this point, so we have operated you know, as regrossly and seriously as it gets for as long as I can't remember. Obviously, the constituents will be a little bit different as a public company, but we are well. I don't think we're going to change our views. We're trying to maximize value ten or twenty years out and we'll continue doing that. In terms of data, we have never sold any data. We've never enabled any third party to train their models on our data. We don't have any plans to do that and un less, you know if that changes, but right now that's our sins.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm trying to understand that a little bit more too, about the business model. You guys have identified more than a thousand digital businesses in Europe and North America that could be a track of acquisitions over the next few years. That's according to your listing document. It feels like, are you just buying your way to growth and masking perhaps a slowdown and retention. Is that the strategy?
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, we are buying as a key engine of growth. I think there's no difference in putting dollars against marketing driven growth or RND driven growth or m and AH driven growth. They're just different livers you can pull. We found that with our platform, m and A has been by far the most efficient. We have doubled the company roughly speaking, every year for as long as I can remember, so not too shabby. We've barely raised any equity in the past, certainly much more efficient than we would have achieved through more conventional means. And having side that, almost every time the companies we've owned we have improved the retention, unitization, organic growth. So we're managing these assets for the long run. We have never sold a company we bought, nor do we plan to. We try to be excellent stewards of these businesses. Again with a ten twenty interview as long as we can project out. But yes, we do anticipate that the vast majority of our growth will come from acquisitions, and as long as that's where the highest returns come, we'll take it.
Speaker 2: We like it a lot Luka, the next acquisition. Look, tell us what it'll be. I'm going to give you a gimme or you're going to give me a gimmey, I guess what's the theme and the theme that you're looking for.
Speaker 1: We're not thematic as an acquired If you look at our portfolio, we have enterprise businesses with consumer businesses. We've got ticketing, we've got video platforms, a little bit of everything. So what we what we look for is businesses that we can improve tremendously. Whether it's the product as a loyal customer base, but it's a bit data that you could overhaul, the user experience, out features, improve the technology, whether it's the monetization isn't isn't efficient, maybe the cost base is blotted. Maybe a bunch of these at the same time, and the let's say the customer facing side of things can vary, but those fundamentals that have to be at least one or two of these have to be in place for us to be interested. So we're always looking at a bunch of companies. Hopefully will acquire additional companies in the in the rest during the rest of the year. But but yeah, even if I wanted to, I could and share any theme that we don't think that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we aren't surprised by that. Good one by Tim dough Luca. One question, though, when you hear SaaS apocalypse, does that present opportunity or does that present risks? Just thinking through the portfolios of companies doesn't seem that difficult to me, as someone who's not that smart, to replicate some of the portfolio companies using a claud for example.
Speaker 1: Oh, I totally agree. I mean it's very easy. I'd say it's been very easy for at least ten fifteen years replicating take all writing a mobile or desktop email app. You know, there's probably setal hundreds of them out there. Event Pride has been copied a million times. AI doesn't change that. If it was already very easy, it makes it even easier. But there's so many clones at this point that it doesn't make any difference. There's a world not the world we're living. We're building a ticketing platform is possibly difficult, and event Pride is the only one to exist, and it's maybe worth a billion dollars or fifty billion dollars, And now with AI becomes easy, and that's a bad news, but again, that's not the world we live in. It's been very easy to replicate product like event Pride for a decade. So any success that these companies are having right now, it is not based on a lack of technically viable alternatives. They win because they have a brand, or a network effect or switching costs, and so I don't think that will really change going forward. We haven't seen any degradation whatsoever in any metrics. If anything, AI has been a major tailwind for us. Ultimately, the main disadvantage of our model is that these transformations are very operationally intensive. We need a lot of excellent people to work really hard to rebuild. Again, the software features monetization, so we can do a million of these acquisitions per year. AI solves that entirely, but it loses that bottleneck substantially. Our revenue Perspooner Spoonery is like our core team or people will help us transform the companies right went up from about a million dollars in twenty twenty three to a round rate of roughly four million dollars in Q one twenty twenty six, with AI being clearly the main reason for for that massive growth.
Speaker 2: Well, look, we don't have a ton of time left and Max a few more questions we want to get to. I want to focus in on the AOL part of this. You bought that from Apollo one and a half billion dollars approximately last year AOL In full disclosure, many years ago, I worked at a version of AOL. It's known for still having people who actually pay for it, but it's just a shadow of what it once was. When you say you're trying to get more people to pay for the products and services that you own, how do you get more people to pay for AOL?
Speaker 1: So AOL currently has approximately thirty million monthplick to users only as more percentage of these pay or others are monetized through advertising, unlike most of our user base, where often we don't use ads at all, unlike people think. Actually, oil has been growing for several years. I can't really speak as to what happened ten or two years ago, but at least the last three or four years it's been on a slow growth trajectory. We expect it to continue, maybe accelerate a little bit going forward. There are multiple opportunities to improve this business. As you could imagine the product, I think the product is better than people think it is, but it's not on par with some of the competitions, so we look forward to improving it substantially. Both the email client and the web portal. Will believe that there is plenty of opportunity to improve the underlying technological foundations, especially the advertising tech stack and the recommender system that chooses what content you see on the web platform. I think it's one of the most exciting acquisitions we've carried out in recent years.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, you and your co founders Luca hold one hundred percent of the Class A shares and almost eighty three percent of the voting rights. We've seen this with some other tech companies. You're coming to market with a controlled company structure and a highly acquisitive strategy. What decisions, if any, should public minority shareholders realistically expect to influence over time?
Speaker 1: I think we will take input to heart. I'd like to think we have a history of intellectual honesty and open mindedness. These are key values internally and externally for us. Naturally, if someone chooses to invest right now, we'd.
Speaker 3: Have to.
Speaker 1: Trust that you know, will make the right call. That's what it is with this sort of governance, but I certainly can promise we'll be will be listening, honestarily agreeing with everything we're told, but listening for sure.
Speaker 4: Hey listen, As you know, it's very different to be a private entity and a publicly held company. What's top of mind the pressures you think you might feel though now as a publicly held company.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I haven't done it before. I don't presume to know. I'm sure it's gonna suck in many ways. We'll try to do our best not to succumb to the pressure and a noise and stay focused on execution. We have a plan for the next ten or twenty years and it's going to be a challenge. We can't afford to lose focus, so that that's the goal here. Stay, you know, head down, work hard, stay rational. We'll see we're optimistic, but I'm sure we could make mistakes, so we gotta be careful.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll just tell you every quarter, those earnings reports, we love to go over them. So we're looking forward to your first earnings.
Speaker 2: Look, are you going to go check out a World Cup game while you're here?
Speaker 1: I'd love to. I don't think i'll have time, but I hear it's been great. People are talking about repeating you know again in the States in four years, so maybe that's yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the folks have something to say about that, Lucas, thanks for joining us. Appreciate your time. Luca CEO of Bending Spoons, the company going public today. Luca joining us live from the Nasdaq