Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sunday Sampler. Coming up.
Speaker 2: You hear Sore Losers actually debate if I'm gonna move to Arkansas after Coach Cal got hired and spoiler, yes, I already lived there.
Speaker 1: You guys just didn't know that. So Sore Losers talk about that.
Speaker 2: Coming up on Get Real with Caroline Hobby, Caroline sat down with an artist that I've really grown to. I've always liked her, but like, really respect her as a musician, not just a singer, Caroline Jones.
Speaker 1: I've done the Bobby Cast with her.
Speaker 2: But you know, Caroline Hobby goes in a whole different direction, which is what's great. You're gonna hear a movie Mike's Movie podcast talking about rich people Forbes Billionaire's List, and we'll start with this though. On the Bobbycast, Eddie and I go through the nominees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and then we vote and it's an official ballot and I mailed it off and I might be kicked out now, I do not know.
Speaker 1: We shall see, but you can hear the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Listen to the sampler here, go search for one of these podcasts, Subscribe to one of these podcasts if you like them all right, here we go, this is this week Sunday Sampler. Here's a part of the Bobby Cast. We get one of all these because we have six yeses. Okay, Mariah Carey shared, Dave Matthews band, Cool in the Gang, Lenny Kravitz's Oasis.
Speaker 1: We get one of the list.
Speaker 2: Ready good, Mary j Blige, Eric Being Rockheim, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Jane's addiction, Shnead O'Connor, Ozzy Osbourne shot a type called quest. Let's eliminate some Okay, uh shout a, I'm gonna eliminate shadow, and I'm gonna eliminate respectfully.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eliminate tripe called quest. I just don't all I know is I'm an idiot in eighties hip hop pte. Shane o' connors eliminated.
Speaker 2: Let's eliminate so we have, so we'd eliminate three with Ozzie left, Jane's addiction, Peter Frampton foreigner. Let's eliminate one of Peter Frampton or foreigner. I would eliminate, uh pep I go foreigner. I think they both get eliminated, and if we both picked.
Speaker 1: But Kevin's the tiebreaker, but.
Speaker 2: He's one of them.
Speaker 3: He's like, but I know the name Peter Frampton.
Speaker 1: I don't really know Foreigner. I do know their songs, but I didn't know Frampton.
Speaker 2: Man, you know the name I know Peter, Like like I know I know the name Gorbachaw too, but I.
Speaker 1: Know the name Bob. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bill, I still eliminade foreigner.
Speaker 1: Frampton was a brown breaking. The foreigner had more even wait one with a box? Yeah, okay, we only get one more.
Speaker 2: So let me say this, Peter Frampton, and are they Peter Frampton and Foreigner? Are they together? Are both of them better than Jane's addiction?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, I will get to Dan's addiction. Are they both bigger than Ozzie? No? No, so we keep an Ossy in I would Okay. Are they both bigger than Mary J. Bige? Yes? Okay.
Speaker 2: Are they both bigger than Eric bt rakeem I have to plead ignorance to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: It's Foreigner, Peter fram and Jane's addiction and Ozzy Osbourne for the last vote.
Speaker 1: We took James out, we did, okay, So it's Foreigner, Peter Frampton and Ozzy. I vote Ozzy. I vote Ozzie. Who do you want? Bones? You want Foreigner over those three?
Speaker 2: Now, maybe I have a loyalty Toegner because I can't play our sugar. I mean, I shouldn't let that bias me, but I do love that was really cool. Okay, so I'm gonna cut. Let's cut Foreigner. It's either Peter Frampton or Ozzy. Now, remember, you can't associate Black Sabbath. They're already in not I mean, Black Sabbath wouldn't have been Black Sabbath without Ozzy.
Speaker 1: So no, Ozzie wouldn't have been the solo artist without Black Sabbath. What are you talking about? Ozzy was the star.
Speaker 2: I heard you, but how do you know? But he didn't write all the songs, like every one of them. The le guitar player was very famous. But I think it's a testament when the lead guy leaves and he can do it all by himself, that that's the reason that band.
Speaker 1: Was and everyone knows him just as Peter or Ozzy o z Z Why okay, Hall of fame, baby, you know it's funny. The first thing I remember by him is is that reality show. I know that's terrible. Okay, I'll go with you guys. You really want to Brampton in there.
Speaker 2: No, I I feel like Ozzy doesn't have the library himself, but I do, I do, I do think, but it's just versus those I do think, just being the rock and the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: What are we missing on Aussie? We're missing Ozzy songs? Can you look? He did? He looked at it.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, No, no, no, there's more though I know there's more. He didn't make three songs. No, no, but that were like big here let's see.
Speaker 1: So don't work and not dancing.
Speaker 2: Crazy train, no more tears, no more tears, tears, bark.
Speaker 1: At the Moon. I don't know that I know that one?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: You do? Don't tell me what I know?
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 1: You know? Bark at the moon? Why are you dancing? I'm not dancing? Rocking out? We went asy.
Speaker 6: So here's d that.
Speaker 1: I'm here's our seven.
Speaker 2: Mariah Carey, nice chair, Dave Matthews Band, come on, cool in the gang, nice Lenny Kravitz, Oasis, Ozzy Osbourne.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a great ballot.
Speaker 7: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: And then do you get a second wave or no? Those that's the top seven go in top six. Whatever, let's go. Okay, I'll mail this off today. That's fun. Yeah, really cool dude. Thanks for letting us be a part of that. Hopefully we don't get voted out for talking about it. About it.
Speaker 2: I don't don't see anything about it says please fill your ballot out confidentially. I'm just kidding it in the ready received after this date. Okay, I'm mailed off today.
Speaker 1: Cool man. Yeah, Hey, do you think our picks will be the seven?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's like a parlay where all seven we get to go the one who hit all.
Speaker 1: Seven it's Eddie, Bobby and Kevin. Come on, guys, we get awarded an award. Yeah, you have made the best voters. Okay, I'll nail it off today. But that was fun. That was very all right.
Speaker 2: Good luck to everybody, especially if you're one of the seven weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, luck guys.
Speaker 6: Good cast up little food for yourself.
Speaker 7: Oh it's pretty bad.
Speaker 1: It's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 6: That for a little more, said he you're kicking it with full.
Speaker 7: With Amy Brown.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast.
Speaker 8: What is the biggest.
Speaker 5: Mistake that we're making when it comes to our finances, and what can we do to avoid that increase our IQ just be smarter about how we do things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's really two buckets. As I take calls on The Ramsey Show alongside you know, Dave Ramsey or Rachel Cruz. The one bucket is people are doing too many things at once, and they're good, healthy things. They're trying to pay off debt, they're trying to save, they're trying to invest. And when you try to do all of these things at once, you end up doing all of them crappily because you can only pay off a little bit of debt if you're also trying to invest in also trying to save. So the baby steps that we lay out are very specific. They're in order for a reason. So you get out of debt, that's the only thing you do. Then you the only thing you do is save with the emergency fund. Then you invest, and you have the margin to do that because you don't have any payments. So you can see how you when you focus on one thing, you're so much better at it. Yeah, are you doing all these things? I? Well, I just told you I pok the blood rave for your face, like, oh.
Speaker 5: No, just so you have a little bit of background. If I was calling in like hey George Amy here. Hey, So my only debt right now is my mortgage great, which I just added to because of a helock. Sure, and that's my only debt. But I also just made an investment. Ah, okay, well this last week.
Speaker 7: Like you're investing in the stock market or real estate.
Speaker 5: Or I invested in like a startup okay, wat so business. And then also I'm doing some stock market stuff.
Speaker 8: I just started very exciting about it.
Speaker 7: And there's an excitement when you invest. And I love this because when people get out of debt and they stop paying for the past and instead start building for the future, it's like the world just opened up. And that's what I love about this plan is you get the debt out of your life and you free up all those payments. I mean, if you just add it up in your head what the mortgage and heelock was or is, and you go, if I could invest that every month instead, how much wealth could I give, What kind of legacy could I leave? How much more free could I be? That gets really exciting.
Speaker 8: So you would tell me what I says like, usually.
Speaker 7: What we would say is if the heelock is more than half of your annual income, it can go into baby step six, which is you're investing and you're working off paying off the house. Okay, But if it's less than half the annual income, we would put it in babystep two, which is your kind of consumer debt. So we would say, pause, you're investing, attack that, then continue. Okay, all right, either way, you're doing great. I want to just assure you, especially people who have been through some stuff, like they call into the show, there's different levels of empathy I have. You know, some people are as a knucklehead eighteen year old kid who thinks he knows everything and wants to argue, and then there's people who they're going through like really extenuating life circumstances. There's a divorce, there's a health issue, and so we talk about gazelle intensity on the show a lot. Some people just need to just get up and crawl the next day, and that's okay. If you're in survival mode, it's okay to have that season where you're doing your best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at the time of my divorce, I didn't even know how to log into my bank account because he handled all the finances. So talk about baby steps and trying not to be a microwave, be more of a crock pot.
Speaker 8: It's like, yeah, I'm one bite at a time.
Speaker 7: You've got like a degree now probably in the last year to just learning all of this on free yourself.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm open to learning, and I want to learn more, but like it was so foreign to me, and so I just wanted him to handle everything. That when I would have to discuss it in the legal meetings or when I had to start taking it over, like I would feel it in my throat, like I would start to just itch and then my throat would feel like I was going to cry, and then I would start to cry. But it was just so overwhelming. And so that's why I have grace for certain decisions that I made last year when I didn't know what I didn't know. So that would be my encouragement to anybody else that's going through anything like notion at the moment is just if you didn't know where you didn't know, but then face it head on. And now I'm open to like, Okay, maybe I need to pivot away from this and figure out a new.
Speaker 8: Plan, but we'll figure out that later.
Speaker 5: Because what I really want to ask you is should I be investing in gold from Costco?
Speaker 7: Ooh, okay, if you know me, you know I love Costco. They call me the Kirkland Cowboy. Okay, no one actually calls me that, but I feel like the more I say it, maybe I can like manifest.
Speaker 8: Probably with a K.
Speaker 7: Obviously, there we go. And so I saw the goal at Costco and I thought it was really funny, and I've seen some people buy it, and then I saw that the price they were buying it at was not even worth what gold is worth right now. And so we always tell people, you know, number one investing things. You understand now, gold has been around forever, but the return on gold as an investment is not there. If you look at the stock market, like you mentioned, well, the average return of the S and P five hundred, just the five hundred largest companies in the US, it's been about ten to twelve percent over the last multiple decades. Whereas gold.
Speaker 8: It's not your opinion, by the way, that's data.
Speaker 7: That's just data. I wish I could just have an opinion about these numbers. That's just what the market has done in the past.
Speaker 8: I saw you post about that. Yes, dude, she really quoting you.
Speaker 7: That's amazing, Thank you. And that's why I did a video about golden looking in the returns and it was like five percent. That's not bad. But I get five percent right now in my in my savings account, and I can actually use that money to go buy stuff. So one of the problems with gold is that you have to go turn around and turn that gold into money in order to use it. So some people say is that, well, Jorge does not investment, it's a hedge against inflation. But I'm like, yeah, but you still need to then go turn that into money at some point. I can't trade gold for fuel and AMMO in the apocalypse. You know, people want fuel and Ammo in the apocalypse, not gold, and so there's really no utility for it. And it's one of the reasons why I say, if you want to buy it just to buy it for fun, that's fine, but don't count on that for investing or a retirement plan.
Speaker 8: Okay, so high financial IQ.
Speaker 7: I would buy it is a flex If I were you like to be like, oh, look at my goal, Yeah, I would like put it on display at the house and be like, it's my little bar with my one ounce of gold from Costco.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they're also selling silver coins. Yes, And that was a whole big thing. And then I saw an article literally this morning is about handbags and that investing in like a Birken bag.
Speaker 7: Oh no, don't tell my wife, she's listening, going see I told you that, Louis, it would be an investment. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Everything.
Speaker 5: It was like you know, from Chanel to you know, Urmes or whatever, that when you buy the bag, it actually is something that goes up in value after you've bought it instead of down like a lot of other things.
Speaker 7: And then you like to keep it in a closet and never use it or look at it. That's kind of the problem, right, must be untouched, that's the goal used. Okay, nobody wants your bag that's got stains and rips and tears on it. Okay, so that's another problem. But the other thing is you then have to go sell that bag to a retailer who's going to then sell for a profit. It's kind of like reselling a car to the dealer. Well, they're not going to give you top dollar because they have to make money off of it too, So the chances that you're going to make money by investing in handbags is some to none. Let's do alive.
Speaker 3: Oh the word, you're losers?
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 3: I am lunchbox. I know the most about or so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius.
Speaker 5: What up?
Speaker 9: Yell at his scison. I'm from the North. I'm in Alpha male. I live on the West side of Nashville with Baser, my wife. We do have a white picket fence at the apartment complex. Soon I'm gonna have two point five kids and yes, sadly, I will die of a heart attack when I'm seventy two years old. Here's a clip from the last podcast there when you're on a trip with your wife and you're in public and your wife.
Speaker 5: Yelled at you.
Speaker 1: Dude, it's kind of funny because you're confused. There's nothing funnier than that when your wife yelled at you.
Speaker 9: You're on a trip and you're like in a stressful situation.
Speaker 1: That's real life.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's uh.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 3: There was a season. The dude's name, I think his wife's name was Victoria. Oh my god, I'm had to look him up. He screamed at her the entire time, and she would cry on the mat like every time, and it was so uncomfortable to watch, but it was so entertaining. I am Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, Amazing Race yelling husband. Let's see, that's his name, Jonathan of Amazing Races. I'm not an abusive husband. Despite a reprimand from the producers. This is back in two thousand and four. Man saw that one.
Speaker 1: Probably that's it.
Speaker 7: There he is.
Speaker 1: I nailed it. That's the guy.
Speaker 3: Let's see what his name? What her name is? Jonathan Baker isn't a reality villain, He just plays one on TV, so claims the Amazing Race contestant who insists he's not an abusive husband. He seems to be on the reality program.
Speaker 9: Wow, dude, do you want to make your chick mad when you're going on a vacation. Oh, that's actually an actual TikTok. That's what gave me the idea where the family fakes, like the one kid lost his passport, no, and the dad flips out.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, dude, you could easily pull it.
Speaker 1: If you fill a buster. I'll pull it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pull it up. I don't know anything you're talking about. I mean, he would.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 3: There's one time her name was Victoria. I told you, I am I remember the stupidest things ever.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's like one time my wife and I we were going to Puerto Rico for vacation. Dang rich rich Yeah, and uh. I told her our flight was at like eight thirty am. And she was like, listen, we need to get to the airport two hours or this before tsa pre check, I think. And she was like, you don't understand how many business travelers travel on a weekday morning. And I said, there is no way there's that many people for an eight thirty am flight. And so I won the argument, and we showed up at seven thirty and the line was out the airport. The line was out the airport, and I was just like, oh my god, we're gonna miss our flight. And it's all my fault. It's all my fault. We're going to miss a flight. It's my fault. And I am feeling terrible, terriraw bull and she is so pissed. And I had two beg people in line to let us through to go through the security pay them.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh my god, we're gonna miss our flight. Oh my god, we're gonna miss our flight. We're going to Puerto Rico. I mean, it's my fault. And they led us through. Then the flight was delayed, so we had plenty of time.
Speaker 1: People are passing you. You're just chilling with a drink.
Speaker 3: I had a beer in my hand. I'm like and they're like, you told me you And I was like, hey, delight man, delay, delayed, delayed. But we made the flight. But that was the one time I missed a flight. I've missed multiple flights.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: I missed the flight coming back from Chicago after my grandma's funeral. My mom and I we just got there too late at the airport. Chicago airport. Oh hair man, it's a monster that one.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 9: There's the getting late feeling, but then there's also I dropped my sister and Boomer off and they go, yeah, you gottas here two hours early.
Speaker 1: That there's no line whatsoever.
Speaker 3: That's I and I bro thought there'd be an easter line.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I agree.
Speaker 3: I hate sorry, I hate the sitting there in an airport. There is nothing worse than being in an airport for multiple hours.
Speaker 9: Your boy had of there about two hours and forty five minutes for their flight.
Speaker 3: Of course you do.
Speaker 1: Here you go, here's his video. What is this just from ten months ago?
Speaker 7: On it?
Speaker 1: The kid fakes like he lost his passport, The dad loses it, Go where's the yes?
Speaker 9: What times?
Speaker 7: Our flight four fifteen?
Speaker 8: It takes some college Do you not have your passport?
Speaker 1: I hope you're kidding. Okay, that's funny.
Speaker 6: I reminded.
Speaker 3: That's good dad's reaction.
Speaker 1: Are you kid kidding me?
Speaker 3: You got that's playing with people's emotions. Dude, that is that is a hyper sensitive time because you're so like every day rides on that. It's sort of like when I told the guy there was no the waterfall ran out of water. That's what you went there for. And he was just like, did you hear that the waterfalls out of water? And I look, gotcha, And I mean it's just like it's those moments you can't.
Speaker 9: Help it, and you're always so stressed. Probably dudes stress trying to find the waterfall, so stressed at the airport, that's the perfect time to get somebody when they're that vulnerable.
Speaker 3: Dude, my kids. They get me all the time. Really, my five year old, my five year old with passport not passport, will be somewhere you don't need it, and it'll come up and be like that app I had a p accident and I was like, I just asked you if you had to go to the bathroom and you said you didn't. And he's like I'm sorry. I'm like let's go, and he goes just joking.
Speaker 1: Got my god, got it.
Speaker 3: It's not funny, Like it's not funny, dude, that's great, or I mean just any They do it all the time, like I mean different little activities like well, I'll be like, do you need to do this? No, oh, Danna, I lost my shoe? What Yeah, I threw it out the window when we're driving and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like you did?
Speaker 1: What are you getting serious?
Speaker 3: And I go do we need to pull over?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Just joking, deta, I'm because I can't see, like I can't see if they have their shoe or not and the window is down. That's a good old fashioned humor right there. Oh there, it's so liked. It gets you too, is a pair of You're like mother, all right, never mind?
Speaker 7: Uh you got me?
Speaker 1: You got me.
Speaker 11: Hey, it's Mike da and every week a movie Mike's Movie Podcast, I give you spoiler free movie reviews films you can check out in theaters or streaming at home. This week, I talked about Ghostbusters bros An Empire. I am historically not the biggest Ghostbusters fan, but found myself really loving this. I talked about why some people are upset with this movie, but at the core of it, what I think makes this movie special. So I'm gonna play you a little bit of my review, but be sure to subscribe to my podcast to hear full reviews every single week.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 11: You do need to watch After Life going into Frozen Empire, because that one really sets the stage on all these characters. But I didn't watch that one the first time or the second time I rewatched it, I thinking I cannot wait to watch this next one, Frozen Empire. And the reason I'm telling you all this is because I was so surprised how much I ended up loving this movie. Because they tried to make Afterlife so different than the Ghostbusters they put them out in Oklahoma. They really changed up the dynamic of the team and then kind of sprinkled in some of the old school stuff, and this one they go back to New York. They're trying just to be everyday Ghostbusters. Of course they're at the thread of getting shut down again, and then all these weird things start happening around the city. It's all tied to one object, and a new threat opposes the Ghostbusters, opposes the entire city of New York and really the entire world at the risk of causing a second ice age.
Speaker 1: Is basically what this movie is about.
Speaker 11: You see it a lot in the trailer, but what they were able to do in this one was make it so much warmer and inviting. And I really understand what they are trying to do here and can see why some people are upset because at the core of it, Ghostbusters was kind of always meant for kids, even though the original ones there are some very suggestive things in Ghostbusters one and Ghostbusters two. There's not even just straight up innuendos, but just straight up sexual jokes. I think those movies would have a much different rating that they were going to come out right now. Then they got back in the eighties and maybe the filmmakers realize and now, so what they've decided to do, and what this movie is is more of a family movie. There are some of the joke that adults are gonna get and maybe kids won't get. One of them even made the trailer Bill Murray referencing the villain in this movie as tall, dark and horny, which he does have big horns, but obviously he's not talking about the horns when he's saying that, And that is just Bill Murray being Bill Murray and what you pay him millions of.
Speaker 1: Dollars to do.
Speaker 11: I love the way that everybody else takes a back seat. Who isn't McKenna grace who plays the granddaughter of Egon, So that is how they are keeping his legacy alive because not only did he die in the franchise, he also sadly died in real life, and she becomes even more so than afterlife, the main character of this movie. And it really leans in more to all the fun supernatural elements that is Ghostbusters and what they are famous for and really allows it to turn into a movie with some really great, pretty well defined characters when it comes to a family film, and you'll also see Paul Rudd's character evolve a little bit more of having to have a little bit more authority over these kids. One of them is eighteen years old now, Finn, the older brother, and he is now not seen as the kid anymore, but yet he's trying to take on more responsibility, but yet still feels like a kid at heart. And any good movie is going to be about one thing. So yes, it is about them capturing and getting rid of ghosts. But a good movie is about one thing, but it has a theme underneath it, and the theme of Ghostbusters now is family and how they come together, work together, love each other. It's also a bit of an unconventional family. Paul Rudd is in that role of father figure, but he's not really their dad, so you have them actually going.
Speaker 1: Through things and feeling things.
Speaker 11: And me, myself, I was thinking, Man, I wish a movie came out like this when I was just a teenager, because this easily would have been my favorite movie combined finding some supernatural elements.
Speaker 1: Now it's not overly scary.
Speaker 11: A part of me wanted this movie to come out during Halloween because it very much feels Halloween friendly to me. The level of horror or scariness that this movie has, which I really wouldn't describe it that way, but it kind of feels like the Scooby Doo movie from the two thousands, where the monsters are a little bit creepy looking, and maybe if you're like a really young kid, maybe six in under, you get scared by it. But anything above that, I think you would not have nightmares after watching this film. What it does really well and what some people maybe feel ripped off by is it sprinkles in just a little bit all the other Ghostbusters Dan akroyd Bill Murray. I mean, you have Ernie Hudson at seventy eight years old looking incredible. Dude is ripped Dude can still act, and comparing him to Dan Akroid and Bill Murray, who are still roughly around the same age. And really, when you look at this cast, Paul Rudd is fifty four years old and still looks like he's my age.
Speaker 7: He looks thirty two like I do.
Speaker 11: I don't know what these people are doing in Hollywood. They probably have some secret potion. I don't want to say they have good doctors. I just think it's really good jeans. But but if you were already a fan of Afterlife, you gotta go see this one. I think for the big Ghostbusters fans. It is a must watch in theaters just because you get that feeling again. It is one that is fun to experience with other people. There was a big Ghostbusters fan sitting next to me who would cheer curse along with the movie. He seemed to be having a really good time. Kelsey was sitting to my right who watched the first one with me, not too familiar with the old school versions, but ended up also really enjoying this movie. But you also like Afterlife, so if you like that one, if you like the original ones, definitely see this in theaters. If you didn't like Afterlife and are just hardcore about the original Ghostbusters, probably wait for it to come out on streaming. But I think it's a really fun time. Depending on the age that your kids are, I do think it is.
Speaker 1: Fine for kids.
Speaker 11: There is a little bit of language, like I mentioned what Bill Murray says earlier. There's also at least one s bomb that I remember that really stuck out, maybe another one in there. But there's no f words, no real violence. It's all fantasy action based. But for Ghostbusters Frozen Empire, I was right on the line between a four and a four point five. If this was a movie that didn't have any legacy attached to it, I think it would be a four point five.
Speaker 1: But due to the fact that I don't.
Speaker 11: Even know that I would rate the original ones a five out of five, I'm going to go a strong four out of five. Slimers for Ghostbusters, Frozen Empire.
Speaker 1: Carol Lyn. She's a queen talking, so.
Speaker 4: She's getting really not afraid to fail this episode or so just let it flow.
Speaker 1: No one can do it quiet. Car line is fun for Caroline.
Speaker 10: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby, and here is a clip from this week's episode.
Speaker 8: I'm so excited to have Caroline Jones on.
Speaker 3: Get Real today.
Speaker 4: Thank you having that Angel.
Speaker 10: We had a previous podcast he did like how many years ago?
Speaker 4: I want to say like four, because I remember doing it backstage at a Jimmy Buffett show when I was opening for him, so I think that was like four. It was definitely pre pandemic.
Speaker 10: You did the podcast podcast backsades while you're at a Jimmy Buffet show.
Speaker 4: Well, no, no, no, I was opening for Jimmy and we taped it during the day while I was backstage like on tour, yeah with him. Oh my gosh, I forgot you went on tour with Jimmy. Oh yeah, he was like one of my most primary, most important mentors. Yeah, what is that like to have?
Speaker 10: First off, everyone listening Caroline Jones, we have so much to dive into. You are a incredible musician, play one thousand instruments, seeing all the songs and the harmonies, and you have a huge career on your own that you've been building since you were just a young little lad. You've always known that you were meant to do music, and then Zach brown scooped you up. Now you're part of that band. You're married to sailor who lived around the world, you lived in New Zealand, you have a kid, You've birthed albums, you've birthed a child, and.
Speaker 4: You just have such an amazing life.
Speaker 7: So thank you.
Speaker 10: When overview, yeah, because when we just dive into the Jimmy Buffett section, I just want to give some context of the fact that Jimmy Buffett is your mentor. How did that happen and what is that? What was he like as a as a friend? So human icon.
Speaker 4: Yes, I feel so lucky and actually, when I found out that he passed away, like that was my first thought. Like, my husband came in and because we'd had a show the night before, and I still got goosebumps. But my husband came in and he was like, Jimmy past, and I was like, I just obviously started crying, and I.
Speaker 7: Was like, God, I just feel so.
Speaker 4: Grateful and so lucky to have been in his orbit, Like he influenced so many millions of people with his positive, you know, almost childlike joy. But to have been up close and personal is just that, like that doesn't come around with a lot of people in this world, you know. So I just feel so lucky to have been mentored by him. But I got connected to him through Mac McAnally. He's a great song yes, who's an amazing songwriter, musician and has been his right hand man, or was his right hand man for decades. They were best friends.
Speaker 10: So what did he do as a right hand man?
Speaker 4: So well, it's so funny I speak about it like he's still here. It's still so odd that he's not. But he produced his albums. They've been they wrote almost all his songs together. Mac mcnell, Yes, Jimmy Buffett yeah, and they were best friends. And actually it's so sweet because Mac was a kid in Mississippi and he recorded his first record in Nashville and this was back in the seventies, and Jimmy wrote him a letter that I heard your record, and I know we're going to be great friends.
Speaker 5: Stop.
Speaker 8: Jimmy pursued Mac.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're going to be great friends. And they were for their whole you know, the rest of his life. And they were and and they're such a great compliment to each other too, because Jimmy was the ideas guy, the energy guy. I mean, he just had this like propulsion of energy that is so unique in this world. Like if he had an idea, you could see why he was so successful because he was like a dog on a bone with whatever creative ideas he had. Yes, and Mac is more pragmatic and would think through and the editor. And he's also the band leader the Coral Reefers. So but they were just you know, joined at the hip. And so I met Jimmy through Mac, and gosh, I met Mac when I was twenty so yeah, over ten years ago. And I got connected to Mac through friends of friends, and this was before I even lived in Nashville, and I did my first studio sessions with Mac and starting at the top, I'll in love with the studio scene here and the studio musicians. I remember being in those sessions and just thinking it would be great to have a hit on the radio or to you know, have a successful tour or what have you. I said, but these are the people I want to respect me like these musicians, this studio mus this is the thing. I mean, They're talent.
Speaker 8: Is that where that comes from?
Speaker 4: Because you truly really and they were the ones who really inspired me to start picking up instruments and to be more involved musically as a producer in the creative process of recording, because I just fell in love with the way they layer things. But I digress a little. So the Jimmy thing, I got connected to him, and I'd been opening for Zach Brown that summer, so then Jimmy asked me to come open a hurricane benefit that he was doing that year in Tallahassee, and so I went and I performed with him, and I was still so new to opening for anyone and so starry eyed, and it was him, Kenny Chesney, Toby, Keith, Jake, Owen and I'm forgetting someone, and I was and me that was the bill. I feel like you're always the girl, like you're like the badass.
Speaker 8: Girl with all these guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I am not complaining. I love it so much, but I was so awestruck. And ever since then he kept asking me back to open and then he signed me to my first distribution deal to j Yeah to release the record that I had made, and then he the next year, when I was on tour with him, he and Mac wrote a song for me called Gulf Coast Girl.
Speaker 6: They wrote a.
Speaker 4: Song for you, you and I put it on.
Speaker 10: I know, Jimmy Buffett and Mac mcinnaly wrote a song for you. They were so inspired by you that they wrote a song about you. I still pinched Coast Girl. No, but they had this whole I mean about the what is the let's break down what the song is. How did they picture you in their songs?
Speaker 4: So they came to me like halfway through the tour and they said, we have this idea for a song called Gulf Coast Girl, and it's about all the towns along the Gulf Coast where they had grown up and spent much of their career, in their life, and every single town that's mentioned in the song, they have a personal anecdote, like Jimmy took me through every single lyric.
Speaker 10: I was like this, you know, you just sat now with Jimmy Buff and he just took you through the lyrics.
Speaker 7: What y'all do?
Speaker 8: Y'all just hang out and talk about the kind of.
Speaker 4: Person that he was, you know, like this is the amount of intention and care that he put into people in his lyrics, in his business ventures and his and again you could see why he was so successful because it's contained that kind of joy and passion is contagious. And to have that at age, I mean at the time he was like seventy two is so inspiring and kind of puts all of us young people to shame, you know, because I see so many people in this town who are in their twenties and thirties and already jaded and already you know, entitled, or already the end. You see someone like Jimmy who was just working his butt off and always excited and always passionate, and to me, like those are the giants. You know that that's the bar.
Speaker 10: The mindset is so yeah, and I want to get into mindset of you about later on the podcast, because that is so crucial.
Speaker 8: Mindset is everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, that's it. Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Hope you enjoy the Sunday sample or so much you go and listen to just one of those podcasts. Maybe it's only Sore Loser. Maybe I haven't given Sore Losers a chance yet. Go check out Sore Losers. Uh, maybe you are check out a new one. Make sure if you can. I'm asking nicely. You can subscribe like.
Speaker 1: Rate and review. That helps us out lot.
Speaker 2: I don't do it very often either, but every once in a while I will asking this to be here every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Have a great week, everybody,