Speaker 1: You're about to listen to a conversation I had the other day with Larry Kotlakoff. He's a friend, a fellow economist, and host of the Economics Matters podcast. This was a fun one. Larry encouraged me to look both backwards and forwards, backward at some of the work I'm most proud of, and forward at the growing challenges we face as an economy and a nation. In the process, well, you get two economists together. We philosophized over the role of economics and the duty of economists in helping tackle some of the most pressing issues of our time. This was the kind of conversation that reminded me actually why I fell in love with economics. It's not the models or the math, but the chance to make sense of the lives we actually live. I hope you enjoy listening to this conversation half as much as I enjoyed having it.
Speaker 2: So we coplak Off with Economics Matters the podcast. I'm really delighted to have Justin Wolfers with me. Wolfers is Justin is a Wers. Justin is a star in economics, a budding star, I think partly because of his personality mostly because of his economics and the fact that he has a ton to say about lots of different things.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he's got a terrific platform.
Speaker 3: It's called Platypus.
Speaker 2: He'll tell us more about it, but it's a substack substack platform that everybody should subscribe to and prefer pay for it.
Speaker 3: It's worth it. It's one of the really best.
Speaker 2: I learned more in five minutes from that than almost any other thing I can jump on too.
Speaker 3: So it's terrific.
Speaker 2: And the thing about economists, as everybody knows, is that there are people that are good with numbers but don't have the personality to be in actuary. And Justin has the personality. He kind of defies that rule, and he has the personality to be at least a social sociologist. I would say, perhaps, but we'll see.
Speaker 3: What do you think.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let me give you a quick overview of his bio, and then we're going to have him fill it in a bit, and then we will talk about some of his greatest hits in terms of the researcher. Because I want everybody to understand that Justin is not just a great comment on what's going on in the local national and global economies, whether it's fed policy or labor markets or China or whatever it is, he can talk about it. But that's commentary. But he's also an extremely serious and major economist, academic economists who's done outstanding work. It's been published in fantastic the very top journals on many different topics. That's the amazing thing about him. So he's really somebody I'm very proud to have on this podcast. So he's a professor of economics and a professor also a professor of public policy at the University of Michigan, which has always had a really terrific economics department still does, of course. He's also a visiting professor of economics at the University of Sydney. He hails from Australia. That will be obvious in two seconds as soon as you hear his cool accent, and you will immediately be relieved that it's not another New Jersey accent. Justin's a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research. He's a non resident senior Fellow with the Brookings Institute, a non resident senior Fellow with the Peterson Institute for International Economics. These institutions and these think tanks and associations.
Speaker 3: Are really big deals in economics.
Speaker 2: He's also a research fellow with the Institute for Study of Labor in bond is a a research affiliated at the Center for Economic Policy Research in London. That's the London kind of equivalent to the National Bureau of Economic Research, while the European economists belonged to that the top ones, an international research fellow at the Keel Institute for the World Economy, a major and also on a fellow of the SFO. These are the two major research institutes of economists in Germany. It was previously a visiting professor at Princeton, associate professor at Wharton University, Pennsylvania, Wharton their Business school, assistant professor at Stanford Graduate School of Business, and an economist with the Reserve Bank of Australia. And he was also a former member of the Advisor to the Congressional Budget Office on their Panel of Economic Advisors. So the other thing to say is that Justin earned his PhD in economics from Harvard University in two thousand and one, so he's still a youngster, only been out for twenty four years, and he was a Fulbright Knox and Menzies Scholar, and he earned his undergraduate degree in economics in Australia at the University of Sydney, and he won the University Medal, which I'm sure is not an easy thing to get. I'm sure there's plenty of people competing for that. The IMF has named Justin one of the twenty five economists under forty five shaping the way we think about the global economy.
Speaker 3: Welcome Justin.
Speaker 1: Thanks to mate, I'm no longer under forty five. So I just want to tell folks at home something interesting about our profession. Larry, that was really beautiful and I'm very grateful that. What's funny is Larry just did something we never see economists do, which is he looked another economist in the eye and said something nice about him in our professional discourse. Well, Larry and I at a conference right now, we might say gooda and then I'd present a paper and he told me the seventeen ways in which it was wrong. But we do secretly say nice things about each other, which is where I going up for tenure. Someone might ask this was many years ago. Someone might ask Larry to write a letter, and when we do that, for each other in secret when we know no one is watching. Then we say very nice things about each other. And it's just interesting to notice. As you were talking, I was like, why don't we say more nice things to each other in person because it might feel good? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not, you know, I didn't do it to make you feel good. It's just the truth. But this also connects to some of your research. I mean, you've worked on issues about subjective wellbeing, female happiness, happiness, inequality in the US.
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 2: Early parts of your life, your research life. Then you move you know, I'm just going to read off a few of the titles of your papers. Is business cycle volatility costs, the trust in public institutions over the business cycle, aggregate shocks or aggregate information costs, the information business cycle, code movement, macroeconomic derivatives. You've worked a lot on the prediction market, disagreement about inflation, expectations, trends, and marital stability, marriage and divorce changes, and they're driving forces the divorced, unilateral divorce, raised divorce rates, bogaining in the shadow of the law, divorce laws, and family to distress. And this is just really incredibly interesting you have. You guys have to go and look up his research at NBR dot org. Look for Wilfer's papers. That might be the best place. That's where I'm finding these. The role of shocks and institutions in the rise of European unemployment, uh Forecasting elections, party influence in Congress, Partisan impacts on the economy.
Speaker 3: Are voters rational?
Speaker 2: Think of these titles best death penalty uses, Estimating the impact of the death penalty on murder, Discrimination, Gender and the Dynamics of the economic seminars very interesting racial discrimination.
Speaker 3: Among NBA referees.
Speaker 2: How do you come up with these extremely interesting And I've got the whole set of papers on the prediction market corruption in the NCAA Basketball League, and it just goes on and on. Tell us how you come up with these terrific research topics and they just come out of the blue. And then you talk about your you know, five or ten papers that you're really proudest of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me give you some background, which is I belonged to what was one of the luckiest generations of economists. Economics is a story. We tell stories to each other. We get better at telling our stories over time, and the scope of the stories we tell group. And so when I was a young bloke taking my undergraduate economics, you know, we thought that economics was think about the old narrow definitions, you know, inflation and money, supply and supply and demand, and oligopolies and monopolies. And you know, I think one of the greatest social scientists of the twentieth century was the late Gary Beck. And Becker said he didn't use this language, but I like to imagine it this way because it would have been more palatable. He said, damn it where social scientists and we have tools, and our tools are helpful no matter what the domain. He defined economics in terms of our toolkit rather than the subject matter. And I think that's actually a correct description. It's a coherent description, but more importantly and exciting description, because it means if there's a problem you care about in the world, maybe an economist has got something useful to say about it. It's an unpopular view in some parts of the world because people worry about what they call economic imperialism. So I want to notice what Becker would never have said. And I also did not say, even if people heard me say it, I didn't see economics was the only lens. It wasn't the only tool. It simply is one of the very powerful tools. So I went to graduate school, you know, a good couple of decades after Becker did his most important work. But that's basically the time lag between in the genius of Becker and the evolution of the profession, which is we understood ourselves as being able to speak to whatever we thought the important questions of the day were. And know, it was one of the thrills of a lifetime. You know, I didn't know Gary Well, I wasn't a student of his, but he's discussed papers of minor conferences. He provided comments to me, and his genius is unmatched. But what that meant was my generation of economists. So what you were describing about, you know, we're all over the place. That's not me. That's my generation, and that generation made the field more exciting. So for anyone who's watching that younger than me, you might take all this for granted, but realize you're doing economics in the most exciting year ever to do economics in the history of the world right now, this year, Yeah, because we keep learning, right, So there was Becker opened everything up I also was going through graduate school right at the very my court was one where there was a lot of excitement about behavior, economic sendens infancy. So my classmates, literally, the folks I was in class with include Muriel Needler, who's leading experimental economist, stephanode Lavina, who's probably the best behavioral economist of his generation. It's either him or his wife, Larica mamm Dia, And there was just a deep sense of excitement there and what's interesting, and actually, let me ad one other formative experience, which is I was at Harvard. They started a program called the Multidisciplinary Program in Inequality and Social Policy, and the idea was, here's some really important topics inequality and social policy. Let's put economists or ecomphd students, political scientists, and sociologist synerroom. So I was a young twenty something in a room with actually the woman who's now my dean, so lespot Kintez or Mario Small, who's one of the leading sociologists of his generation, and some of the leading young political scientists as well, and so we were just taught like, these are problems, go solve them. And so we'll give a license to run across these different fields. One of the interesting things in all of this, and Larry, you might have views, is in some fields, in most fields, in fact, economics has been a net exporter. We've exported rational choice to political science, we export a lot of our empirical methods to sociology. But actually with psychology we've exported a lot to law. All of law and economics is and export from economics. The one field where the terms of trade go the exact opposite way is psychology. I find that very interesting. I don't have a theory of why, but we were net importers from psychology. So my intellectual foundations do reflect the terms of trade or the flow of intellectual trade.
Speaker 2: I guess I do have a point of view about the psychology and then behavioral economics that whole you know, movement of economics away from just strict rationality to people making mistakes, and people making rationally making mistakes. They don't have time to let's say, adjust their portfolio or the second or nanosecond of the day, so.
Speaker 3: They're not going to get it right.
Speaker 2: But they also have issues of self control potentially, or you know, they we have the models of schizophrenia in the economics where there's the current self and the you know next year is a different self, and then there's a future self and your old self, and you become the fiduciary for those different selves, and you're trying to figure out what to do, even though you're kind of a greedy bastard, but you know that.
Speaker 3: You're worried about.
Speaker 2: Your future self as well, and you have to take care of them. Nobody else will. So I think that that was the reflection of the models when we started developing these intertemporal models, these where people are living for multiple periods, having to make difficult decisions in the context of a fiscal system, tax benefits system that's incredibly complicated. The subscurto system in our country has twenty two thousand pages of rules in its operating manual system. You can go online and see.
Speaker 3: All these rules.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, so nobody could possibly get all this right. I spent a good part of my time developing economics based financial planning because I think what we should be doing as a profession is not kind of studying people's mistakes, but just telling them what to do. I think we should go from being a descriptive to a prescriptive profession, and that we should import not from psychology but from medicine, that we should be not studying disease but actually curing economic decisions and financial mistakes by just telling people what to do. Uh, you know, not like but in the context of here's what we're trying.
Speaker 3: Here's what a century.
Speaker 2: Of of financial economics, developed by the founders of the field of finance have come up with. You know, the idea that you should act at least like a squirrel and make sure that you have acorns in your winter, which is your retirement. That you should make sure you have insurance and how much insurance you need while you need to protect your living center of survivors. What about you know, investing, Well, you have to think about whether you whether how risk tamart you are and think of all the things that can happen.
Speaker 3: So all this.
Speaker 2: Stuff can being you know, is incorporated now and in ecomic space financial software that I developed called Maximack Planner. But uh, I think that's you know, that's my reaction that we need to move in that direct. I think the behavioral finance has been a bit of a kind of a detour and that we should get down to what is fundamentally our destiny, which is telling helping people with their decisions, whether it's firms or households or countries.
Speaker 3: And policy making.
Speaker 2: And that's what I think probably got you into the field as well, the ability to help formulate.
Speaker 3: Policy give people advice, so you're probably engaged.
Speaker 2: In that with members of Congressance of worth as my guest anyway, I don't know if you would expect expected that answer, but there it is.
Speaker 4: How financially secure do you feel? Imagine a tool to help you make smart financial decisions, A tool that factors in all your financial data and shows what you can safely spend every year for the rest of your life. That tool is Maxify, Powerful, accurate, and easy to use. Developed by Boston University economist Lawrence Kotlikoff, Maxify takes the guesswork out of financial decisions at every stage of life. Maxify calculates what you can afford to spend now and throughout retirement, and you can run what if scenarios to see how your finances might change by taking a new job, buying a home, or downsizing. Knowing the impact before you decide let you make smarter decisions so you can finally enjoy financial peace of mind. Are you ready visit maxifi dot com today to start planning? That's Maxify with an I ma xi fi maxify dot com.
Speaker 1: I think that's really interesting. My guess is that you got a lot of grief from the profession for doing that. I'm going to preface this by agreeing with you by the way that my guess is this is deeply against the cultural of economics. It's there are things that economists come to believe because we learn it early on, and I think we don't do a very good job of unlearning sometimes, so we always there's a norm that economists don't tell people what to do, because how would I know what's in your best interest? And there's parts of this that are intensely rational, right, so that make a lot of sense. I should say, Larry says he feels hungry right now, Should I tell him to eat an apple instead of an orange? Hell? No, he knows which fruit he likes. But then we take that idea too seriously and we say I should never tell an econ one oh one student how to make good buying decisions, how to make good retirement decisions, how to make good educational decisions. And that's it's an internal norm within economics. Now what's weird about this is if other economists have the same personal lives that I do. I have young kids come to my office, young kids, eighteen year olds and say, Professor Wilfers, would it be a good idea for me to study for the you know, to go to business school? And I lean forward and I need to ask him a bit about their lives, and then I give my answer, Well, family members are getting towards the end of life or getting towards retirement, and they say, I'm not sure what to do about social security. I'm like, oh, don't worry, mamma, I got you. I'll help you out. We must all have that experience that, in our favorate lives we give advice and the moment we wear our economist hat, there is an internal rule of the game. I want folks at home twenty cent. How radical Larry's proposition is that we should be doctors because the prevalent viewer is we should not that just because I am making a different choice than you. Doctors would say that one's disease that one's not, whereas we say respect all difference, but some differences are good, like that Larry likes oranges and I like apples. That's reasonable. I'm going to tell you, Look, this is the dumbest story you've ever heard, but it's really important to my identity as an economist. One summer, about fifteen years ago, I was up in Maine with my partner Betsy Stevenson. Was the end of a long day. I walked in to the ice cream story. I need you to understand for this story to work, that I'm Australian. I don't understand American norms. I still get tripped up all the time. The second thing you need to understand is cook is that chocchip cookie dough is the best flavor in the history of the world. There's nothing beats it. And I walk in, by the way, I'm a Harvard PhD economist, and I walk in those fuckers at this ice cream shop. They've got another flavor called cookies and cream, and like, it's not the same. It's got bloody oreos in it, and it's not chocchip, and it's not cookie dough. But if you were trying to design a flavor to make someone accidentally order the wrong ice cream, you would add cookies and cream. I know the Americans won't understand this, because you're all you grew up with these as if these are two completely different flavors. But to me, the idea of putting anything to do with cookies in ice cream was radical. And I walked in and I ordered cookies and cream. I don't even like chocolate. And I walked out and Betsy saw them, and I've got my ice cream and the saddest face you've ever seen, And she said, what happened? And I said, I ordered cookies and cream. And I wish she had a photo of that, because that was the day I became a behavioral economist. Betsy knew from then on, and she still does it. I'll walk into an ice cream store, She'll say, remember, mate, you want chock chip cookie dough. And I'm still on the customer making that mistake. So notice in that story Betsy says, remember you want chock chip cookie dough. What an intensely loving partner she is. Or alternatively, she's an economist giving advice, which, when you say it that way, is a radical idea. People, I may not understand how radical that is. Don't make the wrong bloody choice. It requires her having a belief that she knows the right choice. But she does because she's lived with me, and you know that story is vivid because it's completely clear what the right choice is. What Larry's talking about is, let's say Larry's professional life is someone's in their fifties to figure out how much to save for retirement. Some people in their fifties just spend every dollar that they earn. Now for them. Among that group, some of them that might be really smart because they've got a mom or a dad who's a trillionaire who's about to drop dead, in which case they don't need to say. But for others, they're just being bloody stupid. And we know as human beings, not as economists, just as human beings, we know they're being bloody stupid. They're ordering cho cookies and cream. So I'll still make that mistake. And so then the question is how far are you willing to go with Larry's idea that we're doctors. Now, it turns out there's one part where economists are very comfortable. If Congress calls you and says how high should the minimum wage be? Most economists have a view either really low or really high or right in the middle. If Congress calls and says, if the next presidential candidate calls and says, should we what do we need to do something about? Many will say, well, we've got to reduce inequality, or we've got to open up trade. Like feel very comfortable doctoring to countries. Okay, fair enough, all right, and then you probably feel okay with me telling my family what to do. I don't know why you feel okay with that, And so then maybe you feel okay when it comes to highly sophisticated financial decisions of the formularry was talking about about saving for retirement. So then here's a really hard one. How do you feel about giving advice to eighteen year olds? And I asked that question because one of the hats they wear is I teach economics one O one, and Betsy Stevenson and I have written the textbook Principles of Economics Textbook, the Freshman Textbook that within a year will probably be the number one selling textbook in the world. And the question is, should we in that textbook say you have the choice of many different types of ice cream, choose the one that is best for you. That creates a marginal rate of substitution. It's equal to the price ratio. Or should we say, I mean, then there's the opposite extreme. Shall we say anyone who likes cookies and creams an idiot that should be outlawed. Or should we say, here's a bunch of mistakes. We've often observed people making. They don't save enough for a time, and they don't think hard enough. They understate the cost of education, they understate the benefit of education. It goes. I've got a framework where you can think this through really seriously for yourself. But notice I'm no longer describing your behavior and prescribing I'm saying, here's a framework for thinking about it. If you do this, you will buy the best flavor of ice cream on average. Should I feel comfortable saying the way I was raised was here's the framework that determines how many ice creams someone will buy. That describes But should I say, Actually, I have the courage of my convictions, and I believe in this framework. I think this is the best possible framework. Here's how you should think about I'm not telling you what flavored by it. I'm telling you I should think about that because the thing is cookies and cream as bad as it is, if it was cheap enough, that might be a good choice.
Speaker 3: So I think, yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 2: In our software we say, look, here's your lifetime budget, given your resources and your labor projected labor earnings and SOID security and the whole tax system.
Speaker 3: So here's what you've got.
Speaker 2: And here, if you want to have a stable living standard per household member, here's your annual discretionary spending budget. Because the fixed stuff, you know, for them paying off the mortgage is given, and you know, taxes are exogenous, although we're making sure everything's internally consistent. So here's your like, here's your annual discretionary budget which accords with having the living standard pattern that you want, which might be the same living center every year, or household member might be declining in old age. The software does all that, and then within that you get to decide how you want to allocate your discretionary You're spending between cookies and cream and on my favorites, rum raisin, I think you should try that.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to have respectable choice.
Speaker 2: I'm going to come down with a cape since I we're living in Providence, and buy your rum Raisin so you can have truly American right now, try it out here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, want more money, less risk, and a better life. Buy Money Magic, a new book by Lawrence Kotlikoff, Boston University Economists, personal finance expert, and best selling author. Whether it's education, career, marriage, housing, investing, retirement, social security, IRA or four oh one K decisions, Money Magic delivers scores of secrets to raise your living standard. Financial journalist Jane Bryant Quinn says Money Magic is a must read. Nobel Laureate George Akerloff says Money Magic is quite probably the best financial advice book ever written. Financial guru John Malden says you'll love this amazing book. It's full of wisdom and startling past to a better financial life. And columnist Scott Burns calls Money Magic a funny, brilliant read offering wildly powerful, unconventional choices that can literally change your life. Get Lawrence Kotlakoff's Money Magic today at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and independent booksellers.
Speaker 2: So I think there's, yeah, there's a limit to what we should be advising. We can't tell people between we shouldn't be interfering with their consumer choice, but to make sure that they can maintain their living standard, so they can have like a you know, a squirrel eats twelve k acorns a day basically on average, and they apparently hide some like ten thousand acorns acorns in the spring, summer, and fall, and by putting them in different places, they're diversifying their investment because some other animal steal them, and they may also forget where they've hidden them, So they're doing a lot of economics. They are to maintain their living standard and retirement. So this is kind of basic fundamentals, and I think up till now it's been impossible to I got into this when I first wrote I started writing a paper with Alan Hourback on the adequacy of life insurance, and I realized we had to do some pretty intensive dynamic programming to figure this out, and that when we got to the end of this paper, which was very primitive in terms of the algorithms compared to what the software has developed into, that nobody would possibly remotely ever get this right on their own. And then we did some studies comparing life insurance as recommended by the salt by this tool that we developed with what people were actually holding. It was night and day different. So we're suggesting in our modeling that people can do things they can't, and that's I think something we should step in and say, Okay, here's how much, here's your living standard you're trying to sustand and here's a life insurance for the survivors given their taxes and everything they're going to face. But anyway, let's get back to the Justin offers hits. Give us five to ten of your papers that maybe if you haven't received enough attention or or were received the huge amount of attention. But the typical the viewers and listeners.
Speaker 3: Here are not going to be aware of.
Speaker 1: So I believe it or not. Despite what looks like my spoken confidence, I don't particularly like to boast. So what I'm going to do is I'm going to tell you some things I'm proud of instead. Okay, So research agenda that I started in graduate school and actually started it with Betsy Stevenson, so my life partner. The very first thing we ever did together was wrote a paper on marriage, divorce to miss stick, violence, and suicide.
Speaker 3: Follow them.
Speaker 1: But that was part of a broad research program trying to think about how should we conceptualize the family? And sociologists have obviously thought about this. An anthropologists and earlier generation of economists, most notably Gary Becker, had thought about it. And it's not one paper, it's a research program and I'm really proud of the work that we did there. Becker thought used the economic leans to say, a family is like a firm. In a firm, there are different people with different jobs, and so you want to find the person who's best suited to each job, and you want to create the firm. You want to staff the firm up in such a way that it can maximize its output. And so are families like that. Its workers are called mum and dad. I'm going to use heteronormative terms, and so you want to think about how could we get this firm of mum and dad to produce the most. Adam Smith taught us about the benefits of specialization, So one of them should specialize in the market. Now they're in the home. That's why in the nineteen sixties dad went to work and mom stayed home. Nine and fifties. Actually, okay, brilliant idea there is that economics can have something to say about this, I think probably you know doesn't describe modern families at all. My family is two Harvard PhD economists who both work all the time. And so the question is, so what happened over the next few decades is we had a revolution around the household. We had the invention of the washing machine, and the dishwasher and the vacuum cleaner. In fact, my favorites the rumba, and so a lot of what used to be highly specialized work being domestic work machines started doing. In fact, machines started doing. It became so simple even a man could do it. Then the other thing we had as an expansion of markets. My grandmother was the cook for her family. The cook for my family is this other fellow called trader Joe, and so we buy frozen meals and just reheat them. My grandmother was the seamstress for her family. She would sew clothes. My family also has a seamstress. It's a factory in China, and it's more efficient and effective than my grandmother ever was. And so what that means is the returns to specialization in a household got completely overwhelmed, partly by changing technology and partly by the expansion of the market. And so if you had Gary Becker's view of the family, you would say, well, if we're no longer specializing, then we're no longer going to be more productive if mum and dad meet and form a household, in which case marriage should disappear. Now at some level, it did in the nineteen seventies and eighties. But then actually look around you. It turns out people are still marrying like crazy. So the question is, why are people marrying like crazy? Well, then you look a little bit more. Who is getting married. What you have today is a lot more assortative mating people with degrees, married people with degrees, people who are in the trades, married people who are in the trades. You have back in the old days, my grandma and grandpa, if they hold a dinner party, the men would retire to one room and the women would retire to another. Which is to say that for that generation, friendship was not an essential part of a marriage. Quite literally, women had very very close friends outside their marriages, much less so today. And so what is it we see today we actually see I mean, what do young people say when they get married. They talk about marrying their best friend, and so what we need now is new language for this. It's not the case that Betty in my household does the washing and the drying and the cooking and the cleaning and the sewing, and I just go to work. If she were here right now, she'd clubbed me over the head at the suggestion. We both go to work, and then we rely on the market to help us with a lot of the production of those other things. So then why are we together? Good question? Now the answer turns out to be, you're gonna love this one. This is a radical suggestion, and it takes some pride in being one of the first economists to come up with this idea. I think it's because we love each other now exactly.
Speaker 3: Epontomies of shared living come on.
Speaker 1: That's right, Okay, great, so that's in our software by the way, right, so Larry's got different language for it. So of course I can't write a serious economics paper and say I discovered love. But what I have to do is instead say what we used to have is what we'd call production complementarities. Mum and Dad can produce more together than they can apart. What we're talking about here is you talk about consumption complementarities. That for me, going out to watch live music is twice as fun when Betsy's there, and so therefore I always want to go to that with Betsy. Raising children with Betsy is occasionally frustrating, but always a joy. So you can think about children as being, if you want to use the language of economics, a public good within the household. But you could also think about that as a consumption complementarity. You could talk about the fact that we only have to make one dinner each night. That's closer to a production complementarity.
Speaker 3: Washing machine one washing machine.
Speaker 1: Right, But overwhelmingly this is the shift that maybe we should think about modern families in terms of consumption complementarities. Now, this, by the way, explains some very simple things your grandmother probably told you when you were thinking about a partner. Opposites attract in a world of production complementary is you want to people with two very different skills, because they're going to specialize in very different things. Now, if you've noticed, even if your grandmother said opposites attract, I bet your mother didn't say that. And that's because under this new world, it's no longer opposite attract you want to find someone you want to spend time with, so it might be similar as attract and so you actually see a whole lot of that happening. The other thing that this helps me do and this is really and truly how I got into it. I am myself the child of divorce. It was one of my parents' divorcing was probably the most traumatic event of my life. It was violent, it was awful, it went to chord, It was all the bad things that can happen. And so sometimes in research we're trying to make sense of our own lives. Some people are deeply critical of that because they say, you can bring objectivity, but you can certainly bring passion. And so this research program helped me make sense of my life. And let me explain. My grandparents grew up in a Gary Becker life. Grandpa went to work, Grandma stayed at home. And so what happened was they, you know, Grandma went looking for someone who was a college graduate. Grandpa was cared more about her domestic skills. Grandma kept her close female friends. Grandpa socialized with his mates. So that was production complementaries. I want to I want to skip my mom's generation and come to me. I partnered with Betty, who is also a harbyd PhD labor economist, So we are exactly the same the exact Gary Becker would say we couldn't exist, there's no reason for it. But the reason is we like doing things together, so ours is a consumption complementarity pairing. Now I can make sense of my parents. My mom in the seventies was looking for the right partner. She thought she was in a production complementary as world. She married my father. They are very little in common with each other. They discover themselves in the middle of so many revolutions, a sexual revolution, the gender revolution, and so on, that all of a sudden, my mum can enter the workforce, she can be well paid, that discrimination against her is illegal, that she can work even though we need dishes washed because we have a dishwasher. So my parents discovered themselves with the wrong partners for the world they were actually in. Now I'm telling you this not because I want you to understand the Wolf's family in great detail, but in fact they described one of the most interesting time series here. See Divorce rates in the fifties and sixties were low. Divorce rates rose in the seventies and eighties, and a very underappreciated fact is divorce rates have fallen dramatically over the last thirty or forty years, and so this story helps us understand not just the Wolfer's family, but dramatic changes in patterns of whom may are and how long those marriages last, and who will get divorced in the form of those divorces and divorce rights over time and so on.
Speaker 2: I was just wondering whether the car had anything to do with us in the suburbs. The fact that, you know, earlier on people were like you know, in the cities, and so you could have your friend next door you don't have to hang out with your husband or wife or partner. But then when everybody moves to the suburb, it's not so easy to go next door and find somebody to hang out with. Also, you can philander as much. Right, you can't go to a local brothel if you're not coming together for physical reasons when you first marry. So you're saying people are much more selective when they get married to begin with.
Speaker 3: And that's that's changed. I mean, that's that's a big change over where we were. Yeah, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Know two other facts with noting people are getting married at much later ages, which means you'll often read statistics that say things like fertility is falling dramatically, But that's because what they're often doing is saying, how many babies have you had by age thirty five, whereas a lot of people haven't met their partner by age thirty five, and so what you have to look at it instead is terminal fertility, which these days is how many babies have you had by age forty five? And you don't have to wait till the cohort turns forty five. And it turns out, yes, fertility is falling, but much much less dramatically. And you see similar statistics around marriage. People say marriage rates are falling. No, a lot of what's happening his marriage has been delayed. Now that might sound radical, but it actually turns out if you go back to my grandmother's generation, they got married a lot later. It was sort of or maybe the generation before that, there was that sort of when everyone came home from the war, all they wanted to do was match straight away, and they all matched up at very very young ages. What's interesting about this is a lot of our political rhetoric around. You know, why haven't we returned to what's normal the nineteen sixties married or patterns were normal, But actually they were quite unusual. People were getting married at very very young ages. And it turns out, of course, one of the best predictors of divorce is aged marriage. I think it's pretty easy to understand how when I was twenty two, I didn't even know who I was, So how could I possibly find the best partner for me for future justin? I didn't know who future Justin was. So today what couples are doing is they're waiting till they find out who their early middle aged selves are. They're waiting till thirty five. At age thirty five, I knew a few things about myself, and so I was probably much better equipped to go searching for for just the one.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is really so is divorce. If you think if you take somebody, let's say it gets well. When you say divorce rates are coming down conditional and being married at let's say thirty, would you say the probabilities, you know, ten percentage points lower than was otherwise, I mean, any kind of quantitative number you can add to that.
Speaker 1: Are they not about thirty percent. Thirty percent, And you're now asking me to remember my own papers from many years ago, and believe it or don't you forget your own work. But I think the valves is down about thirty percent.
Speaker 2: So that's quite dramatic. Yeah, that's that's very interesting. Okay, give us a couple mores. Oh they you know, we could talk to you for about twenty hours, I think about you know, you just talked about just two papers out of probably one hundred that you've written, and learn taught me a whole lot just in listening for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Let me describe two ano. There is just a whole research program on understanding subjective well being or happiness. So that got very trendy for a while. The problem was the people who had drawn to that field drawn to it because they thought that it would lead to dramatically different conclusions which would give them a great deal of importance. And when you're drawn to a field for reasons like that, you may not always see the truth as clearly as you otherwise might. And so what is the relationship between income and happy It's a very very old question in economics, and as of twenty years ago, The standard view was income makes you a little bit happier, but really what matters is being happier than the next guy, that relative, sorry, being richer than the next guy, that relative comparisons are what matters. That was something called the Easterlin paradox. Betsy and I wrote a series of papers which basically shows that number one most important stylized fact in that entire literature was just wrong. It turns out that within a country, at a point in time, richer people are happier than poorer people. Across countries, people in richer countries are on average happier than poorer people in poorer countries, and as countries get which are through time, people get happier. It turns out it's a delightfully boring thing. Turns out money helps who knew. It's not glamorous, it's not exciting, it's not good dinner party talk, but it's good social science. Right. Everyone liked all those other paradoxes. They're just not true. But what it does is, I think, really shapes a bunch of conversations. So some people say, oh, we shouldn't keep focusing on GDP, we should focus on happiness. It turns out the relationship between the two is so close that that's a remarkably uninteresting statement. The countries that are high on GDP are high unhappiness. So if you think we should be like Norway because of their happiness, fine, If you think we should be like Norway because of their GDP, fine, Like you get the same conclusions. So that was just a really interesting debate to be involved with one of the social scientists. So most I mean, I got to meet some amazing people through that Angusty was working in this field at the same time. Angus is one of the most serious empirical researchers we'll ever meet. And I remember giving papers in front of Angus and that he didn't turn me to shreds and think it was terrible is perhaps the highest praise I've ever received as an empirical economist. But actually, if I think about the economist.
Speaker 3: That Angus shares himself apart.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, it's just the men's monstrously brilliant with monstrously high standards, and we all should have opportunities to have people like that in our lives. But the person the social scientist I really want to be when I grow up is Danny Carneman, who has now departed. But Danny was an important early player saying money didn't make you happier. And I remember Betsy and I wrote this paper, and Angus wrote his, and Danny said, I've changed my mind, which is the simplest but most profound sentence social science. I showed Danny data and he went from a story he's told in a thousand magazine articles and a hundred lectures and a dozen articles, he said, data is convincing. I've changed my mind. And look, I was a young lag at the time. I was very excited. I changed the mind of the great Danny Carneman. There's a different story there. Danny at the time was in his seventies to be able to be so open to evidence and so interested in understanding the truth, to see a bunch of regressions and scatter plots and so on, and just be like, I've changed my mind. I hope I can be. I hope I can be. That the human foiling on this is so deep. I have no great confidence I will be, But that's the aspiration.
Speaker 4: How financially secure do you feel? Imagine a tool to help you make smart financial decisions? A tool that factors in all your financial and shows what you can safely spend every year for the rest of your life. That tool is Maxify, Powerful, accurate, and easy to use. Developed by Boston University economist Lawrence Kotlikoff, Maxify takes the guesswork out of financial decisions at every stage of life. Maxify calculates what you can afford to spend now and throughout retirement, and you can run what if scenarios to see how your finances might change by taking a new job, buying a home, or downsizing. Knowing the impact before you decide, let you make smarter decisions so you can finally enjoy financial peace of mind. Are you ready? Visit maxifi dot com today to start planning. That's Maxify with an I M A XI FI maxify dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Danny Konoman is for everybody ages now deceeized psychologists who got the Nobel Prior is uh in economics for his work in economics the interface between economics and psychology behavioral economics, so he's a major figure in this field. Oh just quick question, are you how confident are you in measures of happiness? If you asked me how happy I am?
Speaker 3: Ye know. To quantify this for people.
Speaker 1: Let me be let me first of all give you a glibe answer and then I'll give you a real one. All right, how confident you in measures of GDP?
Speaker 3: That's a good one. Well, you don't have to answer, I think, do I think that point makes it so? Right? I think relatively yeah?
Speaker 1: Confident yeah, cross in cross national comparisons of GDP.
Speaker 2: I think if you you know, a lot of this is you know, we were just spent my weab and I just spent ten weeks in Europe, so we went through seven different countries, and so you look at Denmark, for example, and Holland, and you know, you think about their GDP differences per capita and you can see things that connect. We have so much more space and housing, you know, split footage.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to give up on this, So go ahead, let me get Let me make a different comparison, because it's actually really important one. And Angus Deaton made this the focus of his AA presidential address one year. We can look up on the internet how much rich of the United States is than Barundi, right, right, But the truth is the things that I buy has zero overlap with the things that people in Burundi buy. Yeah, as a matter of economic theory, if two people have completely different consumption sets, you can't say which one's better.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like people in Burundi might be eating a lot of grains, Well, a grain's fantastic or terrible, because if you judge them to be fantastic, people in Burundi are richer than us. If you judge them to be terrible, they're poorer than us. And if there's no overlap in the consumption set, this is literally a matter of economic theory, right, you cannot make the comparison. This was the point that Angus made many of the points. Let me give a different example that you know, well, I'm sure do you remember Nordhouse on the price of light?
Speaker 3: Uh no, I don't know where that wan?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Oh, this is extraordinary. So Bill Nordhouse has tracked the price of light over time. And so it turns out, you know, one hundred and fifty years or two hundred years ago, people had candles around the house. The only way of reading at night was by candle. Now, in order to make a candle, what they had to do was find a whale and kill it and make a candle out of it. So one hours of one hour of light was extraordinarily expensive. Or before that you had to make a fire. People would spend their day finding firewood. Today light is almost is so cheap. LEDs are so efficient, and our energy production and so on. So if what we did is we looked at the quantity of light that people consume today. I keep my lights on all the time, and we used the prices from the past, you would say we're unimaginably rich right now. If you use the prices from the present, you would say, we're only a little bit richer right now. Which is it? There are puzzles like that everywhere. There was a famous example if you look at the old front page of an old radio shack. Radio shack was an electronic store, and the front page had a GPS for sale for one thousand dollars, a fax machine for sale for two thousand dollars, walkie talkies for two hundred dollars. That literally, a telephone for the wall for one hundred dollars, and on and on it goes. The joke, a compass for forty dollars. The joke, of course, is that everything that was on the front page of that Radio Shack ad which if you added up the prices like ten or twenty thousand dollars, every single one of them is inside your iPhone, And so should you therefore say that the price we all now are so rich we all can achieve everything that was inside the Radio Shack catalog. If you say yes, you know this is for the more technically minded economists like Larry. This is just how do you price new goods?
Speaker 3: Right? So it's difficult, but it's not that you know.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't leave anybody with the impression that the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't try and deal with those through time through.
Speaker 1: There are less bad ways of doing this. Absolutely, there's less bad, and we should stand up for our friends who are coming up with the less bad ways of doing it. This all started because you said how much do you trust happiness date? And I said how much do you trust GDP data? And I wanted to make it clear that anyone's faith in GDP data rests along a whole bunch of assumptions that are incredibly tenuous. People often say to me, oh, the problem with happiness data is it's all self reports, to which my response was how do they measure unemployment? The answer is they ask people. They asked some bunch of questions.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're pretty okay, I've come around with it.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying let's give all economic statistics the same degree of scrutiny.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, Okay, that's a good response.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the other piece that you want to the other line of research you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to surprise you. It's not research, but I'm super proud of it. So Betsy Stevenson and I about ten years ago, no six years ago, published the first ever edition of our textbook called Principles of Economics. And you might say, how on earth could anyone be proud of publishing a textbook. You're just taking everyone else's known economics, and you're putting it between two covers, and it's read by a bunch of eighteen year olds. What's the matter with you? I think this will be the most influential thing I've ever done in my life. Paul Samuelson once famously said, I don't care who writes the nation's laws if I can write its textbooks. We know the old Canes quote you might know it better than me. That you know in the back of the mind of any politician is the scribblings of some madman economist. Economics ideas have intensely powerful effects on how people view and think of the world, and I get to be the person who serves it up on the dish for them the first time. And we've done a lot in the textbook one to represent modern economics in all its beauty. Remember we started this discussion today talking about how economics has become broader and that it means that economics is more useful for more people. Two a point that you made, Larry, which is economics as useful. The earlier generation of textbooks would all say things like and in equilibrium, the rational agent will choose to buy three hot dogs, which is much less useful than saying if you need to think about the future, here's a framework for doing so. And we're taking big steps in that direction. I'm going to tell you something I'm proud of, and you might think it's the smallest thing in the world. We moved. We were with the first economics textbook to talk about to remove gendered pronouns, not because I'm a gendered numb, but because everyone else used to always talk about heat, like all textbooks were written about Billy is going to do this? What will he do next? Or it would be like what's going on with the mutual fund? Or Billy's going to go and play golf. I'm like half the population was missing, and not just half, because golf, by the way, is not a sport played by working class families. And so what I love economics I want to bring you. I want to make it on to animate its excitement for everyone. And that textbook, which is an ongoing work in progress, we revise it constantly. That's me trying to share the beautiful gift I was given as a student, was this intensely powerful set of tools, and it's my attempt to share it with the world. And maybe on the outside it looks the same as other textbooks to you, but I'm going to tell you there's an element of love and thoughts.
Speaker 2: It's winning in the marketplace, right, So there's a revealed preference.
Speaker 3: And you were saying in a recent.
Speaker 2: Edition of Platypus the Economics, which is your substack, which everybody again should sign up for and go to that there are more I guess by a significant marginal female college students than male college students.
Speaker 3: Veterinary classes.
Speaker 2: I think probably eighty five percent female medical school law schools.
Speaker 3: Majority of these professional schools are female.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not so much yet in in physics or mathematics, but that may be changing too.
Speaker 1: Getting closer, getting closer to parents.
Speaker 2: Now and the share of the workforce today, the job growth has been such it's.
Speaker 3: Been kind of heavily oriented in the.
Speaker 2: Area of health, in particular, where females have a disproportionate role as nurses and also as physicians, because they're again more graduating female doctors and male doctors at this point. So is our economy becoming Are the males specializing in the braun activities and the females the brain activities?
Speaker 3: Is that how you see things?
Speaker 1: So we want to be careful not to be two course about it. But yes, so you know this isn't all just economics, right, So what is masculinity? What does a man look like? And what does a man do? Every time you meet a man who says he's a nurse, do you think to yourself it's a bit unusual. If so, then these ideas that they're a male and female codded jobs is central. I think it's really interesting because a lot of the rhetoric when he is out of the current administration is about trying to get the return of the sorts of jobs that were for big buffy blokes. Right. They're all about manufacturing and factories and steel toed boots and lunch pails and constructions. Okay, and mining is really good, you know, mining, coal mining in the United States, I think employs fewer people than target, but the president is out there trying to keep more coal mines open. So historically, you know, the question is where do people go. Historically there were occupations that required braun. Those occupations would be more likely to draw men than women. It's also the case that braun plays a much smaller role in our economy than that ever used to. Right. It used to be the fact that in order to be a farmer you had to go out there and hoe the soil and then plant your own seeds, and it was very difficult physical labe, you'd shot your own sheep. You you know, a lot of it.
Speaker 3: And so do you think we have like a crisis in male you know, in educating males? I mean, is this.
Speaker 2: Is this sympt simple symptom, as you know, is this suggestive of some problem that we need to address in training in Uh why why are males slipping behind?
Speaker 3: I guess is the.
Speaker 1: I want to be careful, to be thoughtful about this. I do think that there's a crisis. I think we're in a world where now where sixty percent of college spots are taken by women and forty percent by men, and we think the college is one of the most important pathways to a successful career.
Speaker 2: It's really sixty forty. Now, that's amazing, that's Astonishedhi, sixty forty.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: Someone will correct me and say fifty eight forty two or something, but you know, roughly roughly sixty forty.
Speaker 3: I thought that was just in the elite schools, but now it's really everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can check. So young men today are not equipping themselves for the future. I think that's sort of an observation I want. The reason I want to be careful is, you know, there's also sort of a men's rights movement, which is all about let's reclaim the nineteen sixties, where masculinity was ascend and femininity was subservient. And that's not the claim I'm making at all. It's simply that in today's economy, men seem to be struggling in important ways. It is still the case that the gender wage gap is men out earned women in otherwise similar with otherwise similar qualifications. So again I don't want to overstate the case. I think there has not been enough work on this question. I think part of it is it's such a difficult ethical mind field. It's no one wants to be perceived as sexist, but recognizing that there are differences by gender is in fact just a reality. I have been struck, for instance, what is going to happen? And the question I started asking this question some time ago, I could never get a graduate student to go and work on it. In a world in which women overwhelmingly have college degrees and men don't, and most people are heterosexual, are these women going to partner down? If they're not going to, then what's the future of the family look like it's And then also the future of the workforce. So I think these are really foundational questions that remain remarkably under answered. But I think you know, there are people like Richard Reeves now who are willing to say it looks like there's a crisis with men and boys, and you can decide whether you want to use the word crisis or not. For my own two cents, based on not enough research but a little bit of introspection, I think there may well be a crisis of masculinity. What does it mean to be a man? What are models of masculinity that work for the twenty first century? Like, look at us, Larry, We're two blokes talking about our feelings. Isn't that amazing? But would our dads have been able to do this? And if they couldn't, they probably wouldn't be well suited for the sorts of office jobs coming up in the future. And so one of the reasons I embraced your question just now while being careful, was I do think modestly successful men should speak out loud about what different models of masculinity might look like. I'm wearing a pink shirt. It's okay, I'll live. I tell my son I love him, It's okay. I'm in a care occupation. You and I might not think about our jobs as a care occupation, but you see the eighteen year old walk into your office and they're full of hope and they want to do well in the future, and they're not quite sure what they need to do. That's a care occupation, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: Real men care, So suggest you care and you care about the future of this country. Let's close with your sense of where things are going, not just nationally, but you you know, geopolitically. We're in the middle of a renewed conflict here with Iran. It seems like, you know, we've got AI coming on big time. On the other hand, a lot of people like me think it's scability over riped and that the market's going to potentially crash. With forty five percent of the stock market connected to AI. That could plus the war, plus the price of oil, plus the impact on plus the impact on interest rates. I see the perfect economic storm coming. I just posted a blog on that. What's your view and what's your view of Margat and the Trump administration? Have they achieved anything of value? But also, how do you view where we're going to be a year or two from now?
Speaker 1: Yep? Could I I'm going to look beyond a year or two because that's the less interesting question. The more interesting question is a decade or two. I think you'll concur so one. I don't know if we're on different sides of this, but I believe that AI is going to be a tremendously transformative technology, and that means there's likely going to be some very anytime there's a lot of change, there's some big bumps in the road, and I'm deeply disappointed that we're not spent we as a as economists, as a society, in policy circles, are not spending more time talking about AI. I think it's a profound misallocation problem. I go to conferences and there are young economists in conference rooms fighting over the standard eras of their paper that's about something no one cares about, and the labor market's about to transform in front of their eyes. So I'd like to blow the whistle and say, hey, could you all look over there for a moment. Secondly, you raise sort of a very a set of provocations. We're in the middle of a maga moment. What does all that mean? And it's very easy for me to get political, and I have politics and I have feelings, but I'm going to try and be analytic instep. I think much of our commentary about the current moment misses the stakes and misses the important stuff. So the president says something stupid, the reflecting pool's got too much algie. All of that's just it's noise. But what we should notice is when we look across countries, what makes some countries rich and other countries poor is the quality of their economic, political, social, and legal institutions. The United States is one of the richest countries in the world, probably because our set of institutions are in the set that create enormous prosperity. The country of my birth, Papua New Guinea, is one of the poorest countries of the world, and it has terrible institutions. So therefore, if you were to think which of those countries should take a bet on knocking out its existing in institutional structure and going for something new, there's a pretty compelling case that Papua New Guinea should, and an absolutely terrible case that the institutional structure that's created the most prosperous country in the history of the world is the one we should be attacking. And if you look at the parts of our current news cycles that are going to persist beyond next week, it is the undermining of the institutional structures. It's January sixth. I'm saying it's not as a political statement, but as an economic statement. If we start walking away from democracy, that's what countries like Argentina did and it didn't turn out well for them. It's a tax on the Federal Reserve Board, it's a tax on the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It's walking away from trade and the rest of the world. It's a tax on immigration, which has been I think one of the foundational sources of innovation in this country. It's a tax on higher education, which is one of our most successful possible exports. Those are the things that I worry about, and I you know, I might be wrong, but I think that's where we economists actually have something important to say, which is we should defend the quality of our institutions as if our prosperity depends upon it. Because it does. And then what I hate to do is end non misery and despair. Because a few other facts are true. Life expectancy today is the highest it's ever been in the United States. We lose fewer children in childbirth than we ever have, the whicide rates at its lowest rate in generations. You and I are right now today, living this day in the richest country in the history of the world, at the richest moment in the history of the world. So I don't want to be a doom and glamor. I want to recognize all the magnificent, the intense privilege we're born with. Recognizing that privilege makes me treasure it. That in turn makes me think hard about those institutions. So I want to celebrate what's great as the first defense for why not to tear it down. So I want to always be a happy worry or. I want to smile, and I want to appeal to our better angels, partly because it's the only way I sleep, but also because I think that's actually who we are as humans.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's a good note to end on. It's optimistic as well as scary.
Speaker 1: So let's hold on to the optimism.
Speaker 2: Let's all on to the optimism justin Thanks Emilian for coming on, and I hope to have you back. Truly, I think we learned a lot and lots of different You have a very fresh perspective on lots of different topics. Everybody should definitely go and check out Platypus Economics and I'm not quite sure where that title came from.
Speaker 3: Platypus economics.
Speaker 1: I have a story for you, if you've got one minute for it.
Speaker 3: We had one minute, sure.
Speaker 1: So platypus is from Australia. Beautiful low creature. But here's the thing. When the Brits first discovered a platypus, they looked at this thing with a duck bill and a beaver tail and sort of duck feet, and they didn't know what to do with it. So the first thing they did is they literally cut it up because they thought someone had faked it. They thought it had been stitched together. They didn't think that this animal that was a mammal that can lay eggs could be real. And I think there's a deep economic story here, which is they had their models of how the world worked, and they were so rigidly attached to their models of how the world worked they refuse to recognize the reality sitting there right in front of them, which is, it is possible to be a mammal that lays eggs, that has a venomous spur, that has a secret sixth sense, that has a duck bill and a beavertail. And I would like more of us to recognize the platypus sitting in front of us, and be ability to walk away from the model when the model's wrong.
Speaker 2: That's great, Okay, thank you and we will be back in touch.