Speaker 1: It's nine.
Speaker 2: With Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 3: He's best known for playing Patzi on Happy Days, but he has also had a fantastic career as a director. Anson Williams joins US Today to talk about his time on the side of Beverly Hills nine O two one.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's our friend who's a handsome man. Hello, God, how do you still make goodness?
Speaker 4: Stop it?
Speaker 1: That's so cool?
Speaker 4: You are you kidding me? He was, OK, filter, I have no filters.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is so great to see you.
Speaker 4: It's so good to see you guys too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In that life, that o Hi life, well O high life.
Speaker 4: It's it's a quiet life up here, but it's it's nice. It's it's a beautiful place, you know. Yeah, it kind of time stops here. Yeah, and no one cares about who you are, which you know, and it's a it's a very it's a kind creative community.
Speaker 3: I don't believe even in Ohai people don't care who you are, like one of the most characters in TV history. Sorry, you're not getting away from that.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, okay, fine, but you know, guys, can you believe how many years since line two. One. Oh right, how many years since Happy Days? I mean, seriously, we just had our fiftieth oh last January, this last January.
Speaker 1: Would you guys do.
Speaker 4: Not much? I thought there'd be a big event, but but the thing is, I think, like you guys, we have been close friends for decades, Henry don Ron myself. I mean we're literally a text way, you know, just and we never talked business, We never talk about you know, we just talk about you know, love and heart and family. And it's just been a wonderful friendship. And just to have that and on a show, to have that kind of friendship that many years, it's it's pretty unique. But that's a lot to do with Gary Marshall, our mentor, you know. And he was like a like a college professor, and he he really cared about us, not just as a showruner, but as young people because we didn't know much. And he really inspired us to educate ourselves in entertainment. To our many hats. He made sure that Paramount Studios was a college. He made it a meaning guys, you know, if you want to last in this business, you better wear quite a few hats and get it, get out, get don't get in the way of yourself. You're not that great, you know, you really aren't. He said, you know, shadow directors come to the writing sessions, go to the editing rooms, whatever you need. This is your school. And I think that's why all of us are still involved.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 2: That's such a giving person. He liked to bring you in like that and let all of you learn the ropes in the ins and outs of not just acting but the business.
Speaker 1: Yes, I get so smart. I wish we had that.
Speaker 4: Well, and I tried as a director to to kind of pay that forward early on Gary, Here we are. He sat us down. I'll never get He sat us down. He said, you guys are gonna be famous. Don't deserve it. You're gonna be famous. There's gonna be a light on you. Your responsibility is take the light and put it on someone that does deserve it, help them out. And it really hit it hit home, and you know, we've all kind of live by that. And the other thing he did, which was incredible. They asked people ask us, oh, what's the greatest moments on the set of Happy Days? What's And I think I thought, well, it's not really the set. I mean we had fun times. It was the ball team. It was a softball team. And Gary was a sports fanatic, and he goes, I'd like us to go to every colleg I'd like to go to every major stadium in the United States. Let's put together a ball team. We're all ex athletes. The only one who wasn't was Henry, but Ron Howard and Clenn Howard's brother taught him how to pitch and he ended up being really, really good. So he really had a very good ball team. And Gary put this team together and we played in every major stadium in the United States, pregames, hardly ever lost. We went on USO Tours, playing against the Marines, the Army you know over the China Sea where the third Infantry Division Germany, and he said, he goes, and I put it together because, yeah, he goes, you always have the back of your teammate. I think it's going to come back to the set. I think it's going to stop a lot of egos. And sure enough, I mean for over a decade. Yeah, ball team, And those are the moments. I mean, we're we're in Germany. Uh what was the name of that? Oh gosh, the small third Infrey Division and what's the name of the town? I forgot But in that little town, it was very original, over a thousand years old, and there was a castle and it was the original suit of armors and everything else in there. But they turned it into a restaurant and an overlooked brine river and there's Ron Henry Donny myself where at the table. Instead of serving water, they had wine dispensers. You got a glass of wine, not water. Wow, we were feeling no pain. So we ended up going outside on this original terrorists that's one thousand and seven years old, singing splush blasts to the entire over the Rhine River, to the entire city of Wartzburg. Okay, you can't make those stories up, man, what.
Speaker 2: An incredibly I wish that we had that kind of somebody sit us down in the beginning and say, we are a team, we are together.
Speaker 3: You're so young, you don't know. You need someone to kind of guide. Wait, was the ball team called Happy Days or it.
Speaker 4: Was the Happy Day Team? And it's so great And if you wanted a line in Happy Days, it's an extra. Just be a good ballplayer, football player. Listen, we're taking you to Germany. I'll give you a line.
Speaker 2: That's how you recruited.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you. It was so basic, it was so tactile, the whole situation was, and it was so funny. Got to the point where Jerry Paris are amazing director, one of the greatest comedy directors in history. He did All the Dick Band, He played Jerry the dentist next door in Melbourk's. We had the most most brilliant comedy minds in the world on that set, which is incredible. But but it got to the point where people would come down and they thought we were nuts during rehearsal because you know, it was three camera at the time, so it's like a play, you know, which I think, by the way, really helped with the camaraderie, unlike nine on two one zero, where it's kind of piecemealed. It's a you know, it's like a movie. Here we're together every day. Every day, we're together rehearsing theater basically. But it got to the point he'd say, okay, here first rehearsal. Okay, your answers start here, you go there, Henry coming here, Okay, let's go. It's like going, well, hey, Richie ah, you never had to say words a grunt. You knew it wasn't funny, you knew the timing is all. You didn't have to say anything. You knew. So basically rehearsal was a bunch of grunts and people would say, what are they? Is that a language? What are they doing?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, oh that's so good when you know somebody so well grunts everything, uh huh.
Speaker 4: And I really do think, and I actually think for you guys, because honestly, the one thing directing nine or two and zero and all that, I don't remember the scripts that much. I remember you guys and the joy of working with you guys all individually different days. Just a wonderful group, no we goes, I mean really beautiful. And I really remember the times you reached starting to direct an episode and all our direct you'd ask questions and it was just a beautiful time on a set with a great and a wonderful cast and just so heartfelt uh so kind to me, you know, I mean, because you know you're the director, you're the odd person out.
Speaker 2: Well, what what made you want to pivot from being like this iconic character in television history to directing to going behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Well, actually it actually started early in that I started writing and producing for directing. I never really meant to just stay at an actor at all. I actually thought I got a lot for not much. I thought I went about as far as I can go as an actor. I've always been more interested behind the camera, writing or whatever. So I did educate myself as on the paramount lot, just in terms of the craft and all that. And then in nineteen eighty Ron Howard had a deal at NBC for three movies of the Weeks, and the first two were like okay, And I told I said to Ron, you know, I said, you're too good. You got to do something substantial here. You got a movie of the week. Assess something something. So one night I visited my parents in Burbank, and I was driving back home and I passed the Burmac Airport and kind of a remote area of it, I saw this old plane and I saw someone in a wheelchair handing something to someone working on the plane. And I had been involved in with several palsy because my cousin had several palsy, so I was I did a lot of charity work. And I looked at that and I went, WHOA, and this idea came to be called Skyward. I said, you make this child in this always look up. You're always looking up, so they're always looking skyward and this so everything becomes free in the sky and basically, will I ever look down? Will they ever look up at me? And I thought, what if this person learned to fly? So created this film called Skywork. I visited to Ron, he said, I love this. We went to Brandon Tartakoff at NBC. He said, I love this. I looked. So they put it into the and we wrote a script and they he said, okay, that's great. Melissa su and is playing the lead. We have this deal with her, and Ron and I are going, you know, we really should have we found this disabled actress. It's fantastic. No one knows they're fantastic, and we really shouldn't be hypocritical. We should really give a shot to an actress who's disabled. And he's going on and on, and we're arguing, and he's going he goes, look, guys, this is business. We have a deal with Melissa Sue Anderson. We have to pay her play movie of the week. And we're going on and on and on finally, So we go finally, I said, okay, Ron, Ron does the scene with Susie Gilstrap, who's a paraplegic, and we're there and we put it together and we bring it back to Brandon. He's like so frustrated. Now he goes, all right, you got this other part, Billy an ex stump part of the Lady. Blah blah blah blah blah. You get me Bettie Davis, you got your girl. Well that's the pope at the time. All right, yeah, I mean it's like, really, I go, thanks a lot. We're walking out. I tell Ron, well, it's Melissa. We did our best. It's Melissa Swanners and we did our freaking best. That's it. So that night on Carson there's Betty Davis no on Curson Society. I'm tired of playing women's parts. I want to do something with action.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's pretty good action.
Speaker 4: I'm going stumpilot later. That's action, you know. So I go, I go, Ron, bro, let's get this script over I don't know the agent. I don't just find a regent. Let's get it over there. We get the script over there. Betty Davis trusts nobody in life especially buboynowns to us she reads everything submitted. We didn't think it ething get to her.
Speaker 1: She said yes, Oh my gosh, wow, she.
Speaker 4: Said yes, And we got Susie and we got and that was the film that got raw at the features. That's the film Alan Ladd Junior saw it. Okay, I'm for night Shifts. Oh. And that all came out of Happy Days, out of Gary Marshall. I just showing you how things happened. So produce that and I was exec producer, wrote the story, We wrote the script, blah blah blah, did a few others and then I was like, as I said, you know, this producing stuff's cold. I mean, you're not involved, You're kind of away. You're not you know. He goes, you should direct? I go, oh great, a third career, thanks, you know, he said. So. Basically, I had a show in development called No Greater Gift. It was an after school special co wrote with a partner and it was about it was really one based on a inspired by a true story about organ downership between these two kids. Anyway, No Greater Gift, and I was able to beg the network to let me direct language show. And that was the beginning of it, and that put me behind the camera, and from there it just progressed, thankfully through the years.
Speaker 1: You're a trifecta.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's such a beautiful progression though, because as you ended that show on Happy Days, I would imagine I know that we probably felt this way pigeonholed into that stereotypical character. People didn't really want to see you as other characters. It was a little more challenging as an actor, but you could just kind of pivot. Yeah, when we found out you POTSI was directing our show, we were all freaking thinking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, I imagine every buddy who was directed by photos with you.
Speaker 1: Which never did with anyone who came on the show.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Then you ended up being like, we became friends with you, Like you're one of the few directors on nine that became like our buddy, our friend, like someone we trusted and we would have like great conversations outside of directing and acting.
Speaker 2: Because you were started as an actor, like you, he got us.
Speaker 4: Oh really got us totally. And it's acting is very sensitive area. I mean, we're all I mean, everyone has the background of why they go into into acting anyway, it's pretty complex, a lot of a lot of emotions, a lot of reasons. I'm like, you know, make up for loss whatever. But you know, and it's a and there's just I mean, and you know, trust and love and like comfort means everything, you know where and collaboration means everything. And I hated directors, honestly, God, they go, I'm the director. It's like a director is a storyteller. It's all you are. It's like whatever your psychologist, you ever, whatever you have to do to make it work. You know, you're not You're not that. What's important is what's printed. There's a lot of people involved in that, a lot of talent involved in that, a lot of sensitive situations in that, you know, And it's a big how do you collaborate everyone and get it done and get it done right? And everyone feels involved and everyone feels satisfied with their part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the job.
Speaker 2: It's such a group like village mentality like it is.
Speaker 1: It's really and you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, how you could you could? You guys couldn't be more popular? And how many it was it ten years or eleven? How many years? Ten years? And that was happy to its ten ten years the same thing.
Speaker 1: Really rarity, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And here you guys still are still souper, are popular, but you all give back, you're all, you're all. You know, it's important to be you know, examples of you know, of doing the right thing and you know, and it's you know, not be a giver and not a taker.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We've always realized and maintained that our fans are are everything, like we'd be nothing without them. Yes, so we'll forever be grateful. How often do people say potsy? Nowadays?
Speaker 4: A lot they still say, but it's so funny early on unhappy days, we're real popular and we're getting potsy potsy potsy and honestly being young, Ron Howard was there and I said, you know this Potzi stuff. Man, He goes, answering, you got to earn your name. They know you this character. Hey, how do you think I feel? I have two Opi and Richie. He goes, he got one. Shut up, I gotta new I that makes OPI is pretty good. Okay, I get it. Yeah, you have to earn our names to take this and do something bigger with it. That's where it's you and that's directing and writing whatever. And you earn your way, you know, you earn your way and that makes sense. That was a had a run had a big influence on me and Gary Marshall. But it's true. And now and then it gets what were you doing? They they know what you do now, they're probably know you're direct they know you're right, but they still love your character. You know, it's cool, it's great. I mean, Ron, I was just wrong. Ron had won the Oscar and they're calling him Richie. It's like, you go, this's great. Whatever makes forever.
Speaker 2: It's forever.
Speaker 4: The power of what you guys do. Seriously, Henry Winkler and I don't his popularity at the time, it was the Beatles times three. I mean, I don't know. I mean it was nuts and back then there were three networks. That was it. We had an average of sixty so million people watching sixty point two wet rating. If we get that, we figot into the fifties. Are disappointed? Okay? Three? Not? Well? Yeah, we talk about popularity, man, and you talk about plus they're syndicating during the day, and I mean, and Henry was like, just you could you could not be more popular? In life anyway, he always made a point to visit children's hospitals when in the town. He would go in, not as even as the character. He would just you know, but he would play the character. And he went in to this one room and I guess they were they were there was an autistic kid, and there's an old guess who's coming to visit you? And nothing. He's never never expressed nothing, no express nothing since birth. Nothing. Henry comes in, Henry comes into this room. Oh hey, this is I mean, he goes Henry goes hey, Ka goes hey. It's the first time, all of a sudden he was Everyone's breaking down, crying, the mother, nonverbal and anything anything, And it was the first time there was any sense there was a connection. That's that's the power of the media and it's the power of character. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so we learned from you. I mean we learned I for one, learned from you like just having you, like the legendary you directing us being so like personable and chill and just talkative with everyone, just having a really cool, normal like energy about you. That was inspiring for me and like an example for how we should be as we get older. In this business like, you don't have to be like some affected person star you know all the things that people assume. You could be a real person and just light up so many people's worlds because of who they know you from and what they know you from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's funny when they see someone like you, just the wall goes down and they go they're vulnerable and and you you put a little joy in there. It's it's it's it's very effective. Gary did. He gave us another great lesson and he said, you guys, you guys are in it, and in it means yeah, you got the fire and you want to be successful. You want to be this, you want to be known. You got Yeah, never be of it. It's not who you are. If you're of it, you're hiding behind it. You're running and that could be. It could be from hiding behind kids, hiding behind this, hiding behind drugs, hiding behind a VP. Whatever. Never you're in it, never ever be of it. You will never ever be happy as a human being. You know, you're hiding from yourself. Wow, that was it was That was a very important lesson he taught us. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, authenticity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so it's what we do so who we are?
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, they ask you a fun thing about happy days.
Speaker 1: Sure, so we.
Speaker 3: Always talk about this when we have people on OMG from nine oh two one oh and Iron was infamous for it. Is there anything you took from the set the very last day, like ten years are up the final scene, like Iron took the jukebox like I was.
Speaker 4: I didn't. I wasn't there the last day for the last and I didn't get a chance to take anything I wanted to complain about that. You're talking about happy days?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hap, happy days. Sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Now you're going to see You're going to see how absolutely dumb and stupid this guy is.
Speaker 1: You got two right here. We took nothing, trust me, think of it.
Speaker 4: Listen to this. Oh no, who knew this stuff would be like you know, you know Kate Hut's Kingdom. I mean seriously, it's like, what check this out? Last Night of Happiness, last show. Mickey Gerard you might know and you know his his his niece is Jill, the one on Love Boat, your Dad's show, right, Joe Wheeling whatever, Yep, Well there's Mickey and Fonsie you know had three jackets. One went to Slsonian one he owned, and there's one extra one I'm walking by. Mickey goes, would you like this jacket? No?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what were you embarrassed to take it?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you take it?
Speaker 4: I know, I know. I was like no, No, I didn't think it was that important.
Speaker 1: Were you like, huh? I don't wear it?
Speaker 2: Wow? And now when I was in the Smithsonian.
Speaker 4: He gave it to Jill. Talk to Joe, she's got it. She didn't.
Speaker 1: How much would that go on? eBay the house?
Speaker 4: Right? Then then he goes wheeling the happy it is jukebox? Right?
Speaker 1: Where's that?
Speaker 4: I could have got it for a thousand dollars? I don't want it to I don't know.
Speaker 1: And here's the real good one, same as USh.
Speaker 4: The middle the middle you know, the middle booth of Arnold's right, Yes, everyone's a kind of iconic famous. There was a seat. There was one episode where Arnold's burned and they rebuilt the bats going. They said, hey, Hanson, before we burned this, you want would you like the center booth if you can figure out how to get out of here? Nay?
Speaker 1: Were you thinking, what the hell am I going to do with the booth?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 3: So did they only ask you or you just happened to be there, so they really.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know if they asked anything. No one else took it. Put it that way.
Speaker 1: What about your letterman jackets?
Speaker 4: I got that, okay, I got the jacket, sweater and I and now it's in a there's this guy that has the most Happy Days memorabilia according to the Guinness Work of Records. He has a little Happy in his museum in Italy. Oh, it's in that museum. Yeah, that's it. I mean we kept I kept so, I mean so little, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it through.
Speaker 3: We weren't forward thinkers, and so we did the reboot.
Speaker 1: Iron's like remember where he went wrong before?
Speaker 3: And so I think ten like we took the menus from like the restaurant we had created on beach. Well that show was one season, so it's like by the time we figured it out, it was too late.
Speaker 4: Yeah oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Well back then, memorabilia wasn't that big a deal. It just wasn't that. Yeah, it wasn't, you know, there wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't true.
Speaker 4: It really wasn't. Otherwise it's so funny. I directed a lot of Star treks, right. It's it's like it's like everything's locked up there. I mean it's like it's.
Speaker 1: Like they knew, Oh.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding, It's like they had it down with science. You got nothing, zippo. It was, I mean, every little prop was locked up.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this.
Speaker 2: Is an appropriate question, but I'm only asking because I think we might be in a similar situation. What happened with Happy Days and syndication and like residuals for you, oh, for your cast.
Speaker 4: Here's it's so interesting you brought that up because you know we're all sag after members, right, love, I don't know how we had I don't know how we had like almost three hundred episodes whatever, a lot of episodes, right, And even even if it plays once a day somewhere, it's like four dollars fight dollars, right, But there's no forensic accounting going on here. It is like, I'm really upset with the screen actors go in terms of that. It doesn't make sense to me because even because today, even today, and I'm sure nine oh two one oh, we're like on five eight ten platforms at CBS, you're on Pluto you're on.
Speaker 2: Our show has a channel that's just nine O two and oh all day.
Speaker 4: There you go, yeah, and you get and you go, you go ninety two dollars and three cents. It's great, you know, I mean it's it's it's like, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Ninety two dollars that's.
Speaker 1: A big one.
Speaker 2: We get like three cents?
Speaker 3: Yeah, are told? Never like you have to cash it, don't throw it away?
Speaker 1: Bad luck. You're like, are right?
Speaker 4: I love it when it's four d eight cents.
Speaker 2: It's like kid because you know, like Friends, the cast of Friends like something changed.
Speaker 4: Oh no, the reason is smart insiduals. They get ownership of the show. That's a difference. They own part of the syndication cell. How could we have the reason? He's so very he owns the show. So when when when a station buys it for so much money, they get a percentage of the sale. It's beyond guilt. That's a separate deal. That's why. That's why they get very rich.
Speaker 2: But they didn't offer that to us back then.
Speaker 1: No, no nobody.
Speaker 3: I wish we had taken a course or Gary Marshall had taught us like how to like ownership and just everything that goes along with it. So as we would get you know, restructure our deals, we would know like, hey, this is what I'm interested in. I want this, I want that, And like we just knew nothing. I mean, we were happy being a part of something that matter.
Speaker 4: But you don't you don't think that we're not you know, we didn't go to business school, you know, and we learned business as you go. Yeah, but actually so the next one you do them. You know, it's an education, that's way I see it. It's it's like there's I look I look through this going oh my god, but look at the but look at the positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we wouldn't change anything.
Speaker 4: We're talking. Yeah, we're still That means a.
Speaker 2: Lot, it really does.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't change anything except we would have gotten some money from like the hair dryers, the perfume, all of the merch with our faces.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, well god, yess who knew?
Speaker 1: Who knows what was happening on those you know.
Speaker 4: But that's true, and that's that's the other side of licensing.
Speaker 2: Yes, well we're not dyeah, we're not crying about it. But but it's just as interesting how the business changed involved and people got smarter.
Speaker 4: Well, the next show, the next show you're starting in you know.
Speaker 1: Jen and are business woman show me?
Speaker 3: So it's you know, it's just that kick in the pants of not crying, but like, oh, wish what we know now?
Speaker 1: We could have applied then. But so is life.
Speaker 4: You always say it, but yet you're you're being able to apply something now, which is kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Wait, I need to know what's happening for you next. Let's tell us what is going on. I heard you're getting ready to shoot something.
Speaker 3: Are you You're in a movie with my TV husband?
Speaker 4: I you know something that is so funny because the director is a friend of mine. I haven't acted at all, and I never I've never had blood on my face. So I did a horror movie and yeah, so I did as a favor going in there, and it was so much fun. It's Killer Pigs, just a kind of a hoot, little horror movie. But there's Brian right, you know, and I didn't have a scene with him, but but it was just it was a lot of fun. And I'm out there. I'll tell you this. I'm out there and it's like one in the morning. It's like degrees on this phone. I'm going. Now I know why I'm not acting anymore.
Speaker 1: Exactly know.
Speaker 4: I said, this is a great reminder. I'm saying, if you're directing, you go, can I have another code? Please? Thank you? I'm comfortable action. I go, I'm too old for it, man, I said, I'm done with this. My foot off.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not as fun as it used to be.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. That's what. How about a sitcom? Yeah, Brad Pitt talked about that. He looks at scripts and I goes, ooh, nic shooting. Oh, I don't know that.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say he was gonna do a sitcom? I just whoa I did? Yeah, so it's called The Three Killer Pigs.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But one thing I am working on is very There's one thing that's very important. I'm gonna and I'll tell you why. And it's this right here. It's called it's called Crazy.
Speaker 2: Mama, Crazy Mama.
Speaker 4: Tell us it is a powerhouse. It's a play. It's a play that's going to premiere at the only equity equity theater in Materia, counting the Rubicon Theater in the March. And they're already talking off Broadway, possibly the Hell and h Theater or whatever. It stars Pearl. I don't know if you remember Linda Pearl, who you know, she was Unhappy days first and when she was on Matt Locke for eight years, tons of movies of the Week, and then she uh she was on played Carrel's girlfriend on the Office and all that you would not bring.
Speaker 1: She worked from my dad Little Ladies of I know.
Speaker 4: I directed her in Robin's.
Speaker 1: Hoods oh and then and then that yeah.
Speaker 4: That's yes, yeah, yeah, Robins. Anyway, it's a one woman's show with a blues man, meaning there's there's a certain song in there, like the Greek chorus, where as a one woman show like goes down and here it comes up on him. The song kind of plays the story forward. It's a true story about love and madness and it deals with mental illness in the most entertaining emotional tacto ever on stage. And my wife, Sharon Scott Williams, wrote it and what happened was and it's based on her life. She was eight years old, had a wonderful birthday on Sunday. It was Monday. One piece of birthday cake left. Oh honey, when you come home, it'll be here for you waiting right, and and she Monday comes gets off the bus and gets goes to the kitchen and her mother comes after with a knife, thinking someone's behind her. She had a psychotic breakdown. Oh and it's like, okay, that's the and it's a story. How does a family deal with it? Through humor to hope, through tears? Will I ever get her back? Will I ever get she's there? But she's not there? Will I ever get her back? I can't tell you the brilliant it's Paulish surprise when it is freaking brilliant, so brilliant that she writes it. And okay, I said, okay, now the audience is going to tell us everything. We're in. OHI, let's go to the underground. There's a little stage there. Let's rent it. Just whoever wants to come in. We'll just we had a local actress. Let's let's just see let's read it and see the effect of this play. Just kind of a stage reading standing ovation in her missioners mission. So here's what happens. So from that, it turned out the owner of the rape, you know, big industry paper of the rape, the owners happened to be there, writes the review of it, like to her, she got he wrote it to my wife said print this wherever you want. This is important. This is phenomenon. And another person happened in the audience that was huge, huge in theater. Wow, calls her director at the Rubicon says, you got to I know, you get a thousand places. I mean it's they do they five shows for their season, and Rubicon is very connected with New York and all that. It's like very been there twenty five years. It's just they've never bought a play at OHI ever, it's so all right. So she reads it, calls up here and I want lunch. This is a work of art, sits down and books it for the season and it's called Crazy Mama. It previews start March twenty six at the Rubicon. Okay, and the thing is about it, it's such a When we did the and we did a few more readings after that, it was maybe we changed five percent of the show. Maybe, And I'm gressing and people come up major crawling, like tears of relief. I'm not alone and these they come up and go, my mom didn't have a psychotic breakdown, but she had cancer. I'm looking to who was there is not there anymore. They all related to it in their own life somehow. It was mind blowing. But all of a sudden the walls went down. People talking, people conversing. But in this show, and it's all true. There is magic and there is hope. And I will not tell you the ending, but I'll tell you this. The last line of the show, I cried thinking about you will never ever forget ever, Well, you will take your heart solo. You guys have to. Honestly, it is. It is beyond special.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: You heard it from Anson Williams himself.
Speaker 1: The ten's birthday in April. We should make it a girls trip.
Speaker 4: Well it's it's March twenty. It starts March twenty six, Mark twenty ninth as the premiere, you know, opening thing, and it goes into like first couple of weeks of April.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love it that you have all this passion like you don't. It doesn't stop for you.
Speaker 4: This is Gary Martin, No, this is this is taking, This is taking our talents. And by the way, Linda plays sixteen characters. Oh my gosh, no, I'm and I mean sixty, I mean full, I mean physicality voice.
Speaker 1: Real wow, and you're looking amazing.
Speaker 4: You think there's five people at the same time. Oh my god, I'm saying it is a tour.
Speaker 1: I smelled the Tony's Yeah.
Speaker 4: She she took over fronnessa Redgrave for your magical thinking that John Didion play, she did that woman show, One Woman Show. I mean, it's something, it's it's it's it's something she it is something you've never seen somebody, You've never seen this before. It is really what a collaboration of talent and set designer. You know and you and you would know this tory, the best set design, the best life. I mean, just this beautiful group to get coming together that are just just sensational and we're gonna create it. It's gonna be something. Not only is it hugely entertaining, but it's it's just it's so it's so positive. It's such a healing experience.
Speaker 2: How do people get their tickets for this?
Speaker 4: Like, just just go to the Rubicon Theater dot com? Are you b I co O N heater t h G A t R A Rubicon Theater dot com. Honestly, guys, really really really really important.
Speaker 2: Oh great, well we will check it out. I hope everyone shows up. That sounds like something we should all see.
Speaker 4: Yes we should, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And so happy for you and working with your wife.
Speaker 4: Isn't that great? That's amazing, And that's a whole new thing. And we've been you know, we well I won't go with all the personal stuff they got me here, but I was pretty much a broken guy whatever. And she had sold me my o High house fourteen years ago and at the time and but nothing, but it was the second home I was in another area with. Of course life's changed and I'm back to OHI and out of the the rest and the rest is history. It's amazing, She's It's just just I almost feel I earned this relationship. You go through so much, you know, you go through so much. If you earned something really cool, really good, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It makes us so happy to see you so happy and thriving and just loving life, loving your art.
Speaker 4: Like it's all this all good man, you say, going, keep going, keep creating, Hey, hey, keep it going, you know, really just to the last breath, man, that's you know, we have a lot to give still, all of us. Yeah, and a lot of fun to have. Really a lot, a lot of good times.
Speaker 2: You know well, we had good times with me with you that will never ever forget, ever back at you. So happy to have you on with us. Thank you so much for taking the time onsen you you.
Speaker 1: Are an unbelievable storyteller. You truly are.
Speaker 3: They got a knack, kid, Oh, thank you amongst many knacks that you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you well? Thank you, We love you, good.
Speaker 4: To see you by bye and