Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Turning out to China, this story absolutely captivated me and is really picking me think a lot about their system versus ours. Let's put it up here on the screen, see one. So in China, the headline that The Wall Street Journal rights is this billionaire becomes China's Charles Schwab quote ben Beijing crackdown leaf lea Futu brokerage has become a central target in the government's campaign to control the flow of Chinese money offshore. So leef Lee said his inspiration came from Charles Schwab. Within a decade, he built a company that spanned all of China, Hong Kong, Asian markets, and the US. Like his American idol, Lee pivoted from simple trading to managing clients well.
Speaker 1: Through mutual funds and advisory services.
Speaker 3: Now Lee's ambition is colliding with Chinese authority. His company, Futu Holdings, has become a central target in the state's crackdown on the flow of Chinese money offshore. Authorities in May handed the NASDAQ listed Futu a two hundred and seventy one million dollars penalty for offering brokerage services and mutual funds to customers and mainland China without a license, and that action included a personal fine for Lee. The news obviously sent their per share price down thirty percent in a single day and now has a market cap of less than fifteen billion. But the quote the fall in the share price is knocked hundreds of millions of dollars off of Lee's network, which is now at roughly five point seven What they point to, though, generally, is that this regularatory action against this company is a way for the previously China's tech elite, As they explained, we're able to list their companies in Hong Kong and then mint fortunes offshore beyond the reach of Chinese authorities. What this does is they have completely shut that down any foreign flight of capital, and they said that they will continue to tax offshore trusts previously, which is a very popular tool for a lot of these Chinese investors. But the reason why that they went after this company specifically, and like kind of the story of this entire takedown is that Chinese authorities, at the end of the day are like, no, you do not get to offer securities and tax advantages to a bunch of our rich people without suffering the consequences and operating under a license. So you know before that this guy was like a global celebrity and the Wall Street Journal takedown really of this is like, this is the story of there's a lot of Chinese billionaires which basically were inspired to recreate, recreate many of the rapacious capitalist industries of the United States. Literally, the guy says, Charles Schwab was my idol.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They did the same with Google, they did the same with Uber. I think it's called d d over there. Like you know, basically because China would ban our services, they would just recreate them. But what the Chinese state saw is that those fundamentally were threats to the power of the state. And so while they let them grow and initially they were happy with a lot of their wealth accumulation, they eventually come to see the Jackms and Ali Baba's and this Futu and all of these other billionaires as tools of like a globalist class which are fundamentally loyal to capital and to the rest of the world into the state. And so what they've done is they've come in and cracked down dramatically and sent a message to their entire billionaire classes like you work for us, and whatever we tell you to do, when we tell you to jump, you're going to say how high?
Speaker 1: I mean? You know, it's complicated, like you know, we want freedom, et cetera.
Speaker 3: But like, how can you not admire like this system where you've got these filthy rich people. All they're doing is just helping, you know, like this company. It seems like a big part of their cell was just like, hey, if you're rich, let me get your money off into a tax haven. And they came there like, oh, that's not happening at all and then just shut it down completely, and they all snap into line, like that's about preserving the primacy of the state. Now, obviously there's an undemocratic state, but the tool and the mechanism of that is something which you can't help but admire the seriousness which they take their endeavor of sovereignty. They're like, we run shit. The government is a person ultimately that you will be accountable to. You do not get to create these private next seas of wealth which ultimately will challenge our authority, and like, that's how it should be in my opinion.
Speaker 2: You can't help but admire the lack of corruption that this that this indicates, because you could not imagine a service that not only was run by a powerful, very wealthy person, but then is servicing all of the powerful wealthy Americans that our government would come.
Speaker 4: In and say, oh no, you can't do that, we're shutting this all down.
Speaker 2: Sorry, entire billionaire class would never happen here because of our own democratic failures and the way that oligarchy, the aligarchy has been allowed to buy our political system, and money has been equated with speech. So you look at that and you're like, wow, that's possible for you. That is wild, regardless of whether you think it's the right policy or not. But to your point, it's not just that they were moving their money into tax havens. It's also that they were investing their money in other global companies outside of China. So you know, they were buying stocks in American AI companies. A lot of this was heavily invested in, you know, the AI American stock boom. And so this is also no you can invest you can invest in Chinese companies here at home. That's what you are allowed to do, and we're going to actually enforce it and make sure that that is the case. They've also instituted policies not just in this regard, but to make sure that their top graph are not by and large going into Wall Street type financial engineering, that they are much more focused on STEM and technology, and as a result, the number of engineers that they graduate every year vastly.
Speaker 4: Exceeds I mean it's not even close.
Speaker 2: It's multiples of times more than what we graduate here in the United States. And then that also has led to Okay, now you've got the best in the bartist minds not going in to create some new exotic derivative that basically crashes the economy and exploits for people. They're going to develop technology, and that's why China on almost every technological frontier development is leading us.
Speaker 4: I was just saying in humanoid.
Speaker 2: Robotics, they have like ninety eight percent of the market, Like, we're not even competing there. The only thing we fit focus on is AI, where our frontier labs are a little bit a little bit ahead of them. But even that, you ask how long is that going to be the case. There's nothing that says that we're going to maintain that lead forever.
Speaker 4: So it's just a completely.
Speaker 2: Different orientation of their priorities, of their politicist.
Speaker 3: The crackdown is meant to fit funnel Chinese individual investors into licensed platforms where the people can trade only on China's domestic stock exchanges. Citizens are also permitted to invest overseas, but mainly through government approved methods that return any profits in Wand so they're like, look, sure you can invest abroad, it will be under a domestically licensed platform. The profit has to be delivered in Wan because we don't want currency problems. Again, like what they're focused on principally is sovereignty. That's at the end of the day, Like, that's what our biggest problem is here. Like if we have the biggest tension that we've always had, this is between the capital billionaire globalist class, which cares much more about making money than about their own citizens. That has always been our dance with democracy and with capitalism. Part of what we've seen over the last twenty five years is many of these people believe of themselves as transnational entities of which their only job is to preserve shareholder value, and they don't give two shits about the American world. And the only person that that American worker can look to is their government to make sure that those people are kept in check and to make sure that some of this extraordinary profit will also have ancillary benefit to the median American beyond your four oh one k going up when fifty percent of the country doesn't have four oh one k. Compare it then to our system, which kind of looks like the old Chinese system. Let's put C two up here on the screen.
Speaker 1: Here's Trump. This is the latest story from Trump.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 3: The curious case of Guran Bobby Zoo shows the ease with which investors with shady backgrounds and unknown motivations can funnel money to the president. They say Trump Crypto took one hundred million dollars with businessman from a businessman with red flags, and they specifically point to this photo at the World Cup where you have Zach Witcoff, who's the son of Steve Witcoff, in a private suite at the World Cup with this investor, Bobby Zoo two years earlier.
Speaker 1: Apparently, Quote was.
Speaker 3: A fail build hardwood flooring retailer in Britain who had come under investigation for money laundering and presided over the collapse of a small crypto startup. Out of nowhere, he became one of the biggest buyers of tokens from World Liberty Financial, dropping a total of one hundred million dollars to a firm called Aqua. I kept it quiet for months, other than briefly speaking as mister Bobby on an audio stream on x. However, as they dig into the curious case of Zoo, illustrates the ease with which buyers from unknown backgrounds motivations can use the anonymity of crypto to shower mister Trump with money. The President's recent financial disclosure form shows he collected one point four billion from crypto businesses last year, the majority of it from anonymous sources. It is not even clear how closely they scrutinized his past and a money laundering investigation in England with publicly available information, as reportions of Joao's troubled business history were public record at the time that they decided to accept his money. Now look to be clear, like he did give the money. He did not respond to a request for comment. We don't know about pay for play. I'm not really sure why anybody gives somebody one hundred million dollars as a president of the United States for no reason, just my opinion whenever it comes to businesses. I just saw today. You know how Trump's company is selling the one hundred thousand dollars a month for first access to his true social market moving posts. They have ten customers already, so ten times one hundred thousand a month. That's a healthy little profit line that you've created there purely off of your own information and tool of power. You know, in the state, like this is what China was like in the nineteen nineties, and it's like we've seen a reverse of what that system is looking.
Speaker 2: At in this dude, No one knows where this money came from. Literally, he left a wrap sheet of failed businesses, was basically deported from the UK because his visa had expired, and then he had this sort of money laundering allegations hanging over his head and they were leg and no, you got to go. He turns back up in Dubai and suddenly out of nowhere, and we have no idea where the money comes from. Is flush with this one hundred million dollars to give to World Liberty Financial And of course Trump and the sons and the wick Coughs who are also involved in this, they don't ask a single question this thank you for the money, sir, amazing doing business with you and keeping it moving right along. And as a public, we have no idea what this man expects to get from that one hundred million dollars or whoever he is representing, whoever he is the front person for. We have no idea what strings this money is coming with. And this is just another day under the Trump regime, this.
Speaker 1: Sort of story.
Speaker 4: You could literally tell this.
Speaker 2: Story every day of the week of some utterly shameless level corrupt skeazy deal, and much of it to do with Crypto in terms of the massive amount of increase in wealth, the billions that he has been able to accumulate, Justin's coming back into power in Trump two point zero, so very extraordinary. There's another story we wanted to highlight here, which is wild, so we covered before Dear to our hearts, Jared Kushner and Avanka were on the yacht you can't even tell this story without just sounding anti Semitic, on a Rothschild yacht and discovered, like their Christopher Columbus, this island, Albanian island that oh my god, it would make Avonka's dreams come true to develop into some sort of luxury property. And talking about this thing, we played the video before, well, the people of Albani were like, no, this is our island. We don't want you there. And as part of this island deal, they are also buying buying property on this nearby peninsula. And now we're finding out more about the incredibly sketchy, to say the least, characters who are involved in this transaction that Kushner quote unquote bought this land for from put this up in the scream from the Wall Street Journal. Okay, the suspected gangster causing headaches for Kushner's Albania deal. I won't go through all of the insid outs here, but the TLDR is this dude, our Torchi, who is accused of not only being a money launderer, not only of having created forged fake documents to claim that he owns this peninsula land that the local say he does not actually own, and this is apparently common problem by the way, in Albania. He also is accused drunk trafficker and human smuggler. Okay, that's who Kushner is quote unquote buying this Albanian property for so you know, just the sketchiest most corrupt dealings you can possibly imagine, whether it's here, whether it's in the Middle East, whether it's through Crypto, whether it's through Trump.
Speaker 4: And the pardon the.
Speaker 2: Pardon for sale shop that he is set up in his second administration. The list goes on and on, but no surprise that you've got this kind of incredibly sketchy gangster who is deeply enmeshed in this Albanian situation.
Speaker 3: As you said, my favorite part of the story, by the way, is what you highlighted is that one chunk of land was secured by one of shay Who's lawyers in seven by presenting property officials with a mistranslated Ottoman era land record while translating from Ottoman Turkish and archivist substituted the original owner and inserted his name instead. Court later found that is apparently how property is disputed in Albania, which is incredible, incredible, All right, Let's get to the next one, turning down to flock cameras, which in my opinion, is the new data center issue. Every locality in the nation having a discussion around these privacy invasion and the ubiquity of these cameras everywhere, and they're pairing with police powers now becoming a matter significant political controversy all the way up to the federal level. Of course, that's going to invite certain people to defend them, one of them being Barry Weise's Free Press.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: Do you ever feel like your block That's the panic behind a new fear sweeping across America.
Speaker 4: People are freaked out about.
Speaker 6: Surveillance from our employers, our nannycams, and our phones watching our every move and right now, this anxiety is being taken out of electric saws, in cans of spray paint on tools used by law enforcement to keep us all safe. The target block safety cameras. In Upstate New York, someone cut down a flock safety camera with an electric saw. In Oakland, California, another was covered in King Tan In Idaho, someone rammed one with their truck. And in good Old Florida, a man just sits in his lawn chair with a cardboard held up for the less. Since January, roughly twenty three cities have handled their contracts or shut off their block camera over a fourth amendumal Din service. There's even an open source intelligence website deflock that's finding these cameras so people know exactly where to vandalize them.
Speaker 4: There's what's actually under attack.
Speaker 7: In twenty twenty five alone, this system help lowly ten thousand missing lays off about twenty seven people a day, or about one every hour. Over forty percent of agencies that block help recover over half of the stolen vehicles in their jurisdiction. And Indiana, an infant abducted at a shopping center was found in under two hours. In Ohio, a missing girl was located in under thirty minutes, and this is the tool that people are treating like the enemy. It is fair to have concerns about how companies use and track our data, but that's not what these cameras are for.
Speaker 5: To be blunt, they're not interested in.
Speaker 6: You unless you're a kidnapper, a thief, or someone who intends to do harm.
Speaker 1: They're not interested in you unless what does it do you need to comply? If you've got nothing to hide, then why do you worry?
Speaker 3: This is a vintage of privacy arguments from like the War on Terror era, but this is where it actually bears investigation. It's like, okay, are these claims even true. Let's put the next one up here on the screen. And we've gone through some of this before. One in three alerts wrong, high error rates and data concerns for cities to drop flock, a thirty two percent LAPD false positive rate, and immigration data fears have pushed eighty two contracts across twenty eight states to collapse. They say that an LAPD audit reveals that FLOCK safety cameras produced a thirty two point three percent false positive stolen vehicle alert rate and at least eighty two municipalities have canceled them. More than five thousand cities now currently have flock cameras, which are scanning license plates.
Speaker 1: Again, most residents never voted for it.
Speaker 3: Thirty localities apparently just deactivated them since early twenty twenty five, and that number continues to grow. But I feel like that LAPD in particular, being one of the largest, what is the second largest city in the nation, being one of those who is going to come out and say, hey, purely based on business reasons, I'm not going to put morality in the LAPD. I don't think those two things to go together. They're not like worried about privacy or any of that. For them, it's pure business. They're like, oh yeah, we've used it and it got a false positive rate for stolen vehicle. We've covered some of the stories here, terrifying incidents of people being pulled over and finding themselves like either held at gunpoint or others being accused of false posits or of having a stolen vehicle. We covered previously the guy who drives cars like for a living for dealership plates. He got surrounded by police on some sort of a false incident, and I think there's just like a bigger question like she talks about like, oh, these companies are not interested in you, but they do have all of the data, so they are interested. And also it's not the government that has a data, it's the private company themselves. They claim, you know that they have to abide by X, Y and Z privacy record.
Speaker 1: Is there an audit of it? Like what are the internal controls? What exactly what you know?
Speaker 3: Recourse do I have as a citizen to make sure that that is not being improperly used?
Speaker 1: And this is everywhere.
Speaker 3: She also says deflock is an organization for people to analyze that. Again, by that definition, ways is a terrorist tool because I know where every cop is on I ninety.
Speaker 4: Five that framing R.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, right, So.
Speaker 3: Like they're like, oh, by just knowing where it is, that in and of itself is a tool of vandalism. I'm sure cops hate it when we mark them on ways we do because we don't have a speeding ticket. That doesn't make you a terrorist.
Speaker 4: Right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, And all of this has required obfuscation in hiding from people what is actually happening in their own towns.
Speaker 4: So they do see deflock.
Speaker 2: As you know, the CEO of a company who later apologized called it a terroristic organization because it is providing people with just transparency and information about what is happening so that they can politically organize.
Speaker 4: And act on it.
Speaker 2: It is so dishonest in her little you know, vertical video to not talk about any of the instances of misuse that have been documented. I'm not even talking about the false positives or police really think they got the bad guy and then they come and will show you one in a minute and create very dangerous situations.
Speaker 4: By the way, not to mention.
Speaker 2: This as a waste of police resources because they're going after the wrong person. Meanwhile, the person whoever they're trying to get is getting off scott free. I'm talking about the fifty police officers who've been charged with abuse of this system using this to stock. Tell me that Flock is not interested in you unless you're a kidnapper or thief, etc. Tell that to the woman who was stalked by her abusive ex, whose child was also stalked by the abusive X who'se you know, future partners also stocked. But I mean, so it's so such incredibly dishonest and selective frame, and she also uses the stats that come directly from the company. Just this is like basically a flock camera press release that they put together for the free press. To give you another example here of you know, a really dangerous situation because of a flock error. This is a local news story about the wrong person being aggressively pulled over on an interstate cops jumping out, guns drawn, and it wasn't even the right person.
Speaker 8: Let's take a look at that. This is dfour good morning. Yeah quite the vix of Brookefield Police say they pulled over a car because Flock Cabra flagged it for connection to a Milwaukee homicide, and investigation will turns out quite the mix up. Not just wrong person, but also wrong car. Take a look again at that video that you see here. You could see multiple squads on I ninety four in Waukeshaw County, officers with guns drawn and a passenger sticking their hands out the window. Police pulled over the car after a flog camera flagged it again for Milwaukee homicide. But when Brookfield police called Milwaukee, Milwaukee said they no longer needed the car or the people inside, so officers let them go. That's according to Brookfield Police.
Speaker 4: Wow how long until this gets someone killed?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're a normal person, it reminds me of the ice stops with like the you know, unmarked vehicles where people think they're being carjacked. Like, if you're a normal person, look, these are marked cars, so to be fair here, but you're not expecting to have this aggressive You're on an interstate and they're pinning you in and coming out guns drawn. Most people don't know how to react in that situation. You make one wrong move, next thing you know, you've got a person who is killed. And the death on the conscience of the officers too, by the way, all because of this stupid tech that got something wrong.
Speaker 4: It is a very disturbing situation. And I get that.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt they're helping to solve some crimes. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: You're right, But you have to ask.
Speaker 2: A question where do you draw the line, because that logic will work forever of Okay, Well, if we just put cameras on every street, if we just put cameras in every building, if we just put cameras, you know, activate your phone camera in every house, then no one could ever get away with anything, and then they'd have one hundred percent compliance.
Speaker 4: With the law.
Speaker 2: Is that worth it to you? So where are you going to draw the line? And I think many Americans at this point are drawing the line before we get to flot cameras. There was a man who was arrested in West Virginia for vandalizing a FLOT camera and the Facebook post about his arrest, but D three b up on the screen twenty nine thousand plus commons and all of them are like, Oh, it couldn't have been him. He was with me, were helping orphans. Yeah, it's a couldn't have been him. He was helping me make a tank setup for some snakes. He was saving my neighbor's dog from a fire all day. Couldn't be him arrested for doing community services wild, couldn't be he was connoeing with me that day. This is literally I can't say one hundred percent, but this is like ninety nine percent of the comments that were left on this post. To give you a sense of how much this has disturbed the population at large.
Speaker 3: And I think that the private angle really matters here. It's a company with no like, for example, their Trust Center says every search is recorded, logs and review tools to help agencies check usage. That The thing is, though, is that the audit and review system is run by the agency using the camera. It's not by an independent party, and none of us voted for it. Like, look, I support actually, like, if we're going to have, you know, a radical reduction in petty crime, which would be my dream here in the United.
Speaker 1: States, I need to make that case.
Speaker 3: We all need to buy in and be like, all right, guys, we're going to have these camera systems everywhere. We will no longer have petty crime or any of this. But this is why I think this is a good bad idea. You get to vote and to decide if I lose, so be it right?
Speaker 4: Well, and that's important.
Speaker 2: That sort of discussion would require the people who wanted them to say, and here's going to be the checks. Here's how we're going to make sure that when the police department implements this, there's not going to be abuses of police officers randomly stalking their ex girlfriends, the mother of their children or whatever. And so you would have those systems put in place instead. This is the wild, wild West people didn't have any idea this was happening. There was no democratic accountability or a check. So now you have this I think increasing. I mean, I haven't seen any polling on it yet, but you were talking about how you searched us in Every local news station is picking up on LIM because it really is like becoming this flashpoint and it ties back to the Francesca Haunk things. She's picked us up in her campaign too.
Speaker 3: Very savvayre advice for any politician. When I was researching this story, every single look I'm talking talking about Wyoming flock cameras, Chicago flock camera, Texas flock camera, every single negative headline everyone is about communities getting upset through vandalism, about debates. You know, local news organizations are running polls. Should we have flock in Cheyenne or something small? Not small, but by our standards are small. Like this is not a national national issue yet, but it's like data centers. I can smell it, Like when there's local news, they these people like they know exactly, like what's capturing attention, right, that's why they cover crime and.
Speaker 4: They they live in the community, like.
Speaker 1: They know what gets attention.
Speaker 3: If they're all writing up flock and it's all negative, free advice for any politician out there. And like I said, if you want to defend it, like the free press and all that are doing, it needs to be taken to a ballot. A locality must vote on whether they want themselves, you know, to be surveilled all the time. They need guarantees, independent audits, and none of that's happening.
Speaker 1: That's what's so terrifying about this.
Speaker 3: There's no it's like opting in just because the cops like it, they get to do whatever they want to do. Like that is the inverse of what a civilian force we grant extraordinary control should be able to be able to do to us.
Speaker 1: So that's my last thing.
Speaker 3: We have to have a democratic, actual process surrounding this, and if we come around on it, then that's fine. But I don't think that that's going to play out right now. Let's get to David dan he's standing by.
Speaker 2: As you guys know, we have been closely tracking a lot of developments in the AI space, including whether or not this entire BILLDOUN is a massive bubble that may end up with taxpayers funding the largest bailout in history. David Dan of the American Prospect has identified a potential backdoor bailout mechanism that may already have been established. The headline here is the AI bailout could be baked into the AI bubble. Private credit companies are key owners of AI related assets. Many of their parent private equity firms own life insures that are dumping grounds for bad loans and subject to state bailance. American Prospects David Dan joins us now to explain Welcome, Sar, good to you, Hi, how you doing great? So just explain to people as basic as you can the mechanism here and what your concerns are.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's not going to be that easy, but here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take your time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: Private equity over the last several years has purchased a number of life insurance firms. Some of the more famous ones are Apollo, which is a big private equity firm, buying athene KKR, another big fee firm, as a couple different life insures, and these life insureds operate very differently, particularly their portfolios are very different than a normal life insure. A lot of these private credit loans are making their way into the balance sheets of the these life insurers, and this then gets tied into the way that life insurance insolvencies are resolved, so it's not through the traditional bankruptcy system, and there's good reason for that because life insurance policies are relied upon by people and families when one of their loved ones die, and the public policy does not want those to just simply go away if a life insured becomes insolvent, so there's a lot of risk on these pe owned life insure balance sheets in the event of an insolvency. The way it works in almost every state is that there are after the fact assessments, almost like deposit insurance with the FDIC, with one key difference in deposit insurance, the assessments are made before a company goes bankrupt, so all banks pay into this fund, and when there is an insolvency that bank those deposits are covered by the amount of money in the fund. With life insurance, if there's an insolvency, only the surviving companies end up paying for the insolvent firm to back up those policies. However, there's sort of this bailout written into it. Those surviving firms in forty four states then can get a tax credit that is equal to one hundred percent of the assessment that they make, and therefore it's state taxpayers who end up on the hook for these insolvent life insurance companies. The theory here is that private credit, which has a lot of AI related assets, make these insolvencies a bit more likely. And if that's the case, then essentially the popping of the AI bubble could trigger this process by which state taxpayers would essentially be paying for the sins of these life insurance companies owned by private equity.
Speaker 3: Got it, Okay, So when we put all of this together, all of this financing, this deck of cards, we can put E two, for example, up on the screen. This was just announced yesterday Wall Street giants partnering with Nvidia on a five hundred billion dollar AI financing deal. Apollo, Blackstone Goldman among the groups working with the chip maker to raise capital for data centers. Apparently it is one of the largest capital raises I think private capital raises in Wall Street history.
Speaker 1: How do these two things fit together?
Speaker 9: Well, obviously, there's just a ton of money flooding into this space, and if you think about some of the events of the last few weeks, the release of more AI models that show that actually you don't need this kind of capital expansion to create functional artificial intelligence funnels, the extreme expense that private companies are paying for things like chat GPT, for things like anthropic models, and then abandoning this process because the price has risen so heavily on tokens, which is the way that companies pay for AI. You put this all together, and the incredible, as I'm sure you guys have reported, the incredible backlash to data center buildouts. Many of these private credit loans are based in the financing of construction of data centers. And so you put all this together, and there are a lot of ways where the current model of throwing hundreds of billions of dollars at capital expenditures which finance data centers, which create frontier.
Speaker 5: Models, could go away, right.
Speaker 9: I mean that there there are a lot of ways where that could go sour. And whether it's Wall Street money from uh, you know, private banks, or whether it's money that has been loaned through these special purpose vehicles that are tied to private credit, any way in which the data center mass capital expenditure becomes problematic could threaten any of those those sources of capital. And you know, the difference between this being a situation with banks and the different and being a situation with private credit loans that have been dumped on mass into these life insurance company portfolios is that with banks, you'd have to sort of put together some sort of bailout authority, you know, much like TARP into thousand and eight or the Federal Reserve would have.
Speaker 5: To engage in some action.
Speaker 9: Whereas with respect to the life insurance companies if they go insolvent, this is just triggered because this is already the law in most states in the Union.
Speaker 2: Can you explain for people what private credit is and why it has ended up being such an important source of financing for the AI build out.
Speaker 9: Private credit is essentially the credit arm of private equity. So most private equity firms now are these sort of full service entities and platforms, and private credit is their lending arm. Most private credit loans are two portfolio companies of that private equity firm. That's not completely out of the woods either, because a lot of private equity firms, for example, bought software companies that are threatened if the AI actually goes well, and these software companies are no longer needed. We've had this software apocalypse in the markets where software companies have seen their stocks just absolutely plummet. That has led to a lot of redemptions from companies or for investors who are in private credit. The way that private credit is financed is the same way that private equity is financed. Investors, institutional investors give money to the private equity fund. The private equity fund invested, in this case in loans. In the case of just normal private equity, the money is used along with borrowed money to buy companies. So it's just another way to engage in this financing. And a lot of these loans are somewhat suspect.
Speaker 5: It's hard to value them.
Speaker 9: They have sort of bespoke credit rating agencies that are paid by the private equity firms to give them good ratings. Not a lot of people know what sort of goes into the secret sauce of these private credit loans, and certainly the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which is a state based organization of state insurance commissioners, has no idea what are in these loans. And one thing a paper that is put out by two researchers, one from Texas and on from Yale, looked at some of the portfolio balance sheets of these private credit companies and found that specifically prospect to life insurers. Whereas a normal life insure has a pretty modest mix of mostly corporate, very blue chip corporate loans and treasuries, about thirteen percent of a normal life insure is in private placement like alternative assets, private credit loans, things like that. When it's a private equity owned private life insure, about half of those loans are in private credit and things of that nature.
Speaker 5: And so these are just much riskier debts.
Speaker 9: And it does seem that these life insurance companies, their balance sheets have become sort of dumping grounds for loans that couldn't be you know, and maybe they're not being not performing well, or they're engaged in for bearans where the you know, the borrower doesn't have.
Speaker 5: To pay right away, things of that nature.
Speaker 9: And so this has raised a lot of concern from a lot of key observers.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, kind of scary, I think hearing you talk about it, because it's almost an ingenious way, very similar to how they were able to keep the mortgage backed security fraud going for so long, and to have a built in bailout, I mean, what are the signs that we should look for. I mean, are there any regulatory ability to crack down on this or is the cake just baked well?
Speaker 9: I mean that is the main issue here, is that we have not seen this sort of system of life insured insolvencies en mass in our history. Since this thing has been set up, this kind of procedure whereby the surviving firms paid for the policyholders and then they get a backdoor bail out through these tax credits, it just hasn't happened. In two thousand and eight, AIG was a major insurance company and it went basically insolvent, But because the federal reserves stepped in and later on Congress blessed that through the TART program, we did not see this potential this insolvency procedure in action. So it's very untested. The people that I talked.
Speaker 10: To, these people who wrote the paper, these research from Texas and Yale, don't think it will actually work because think about if at the height of the financial crisis, every state had to go undergo this process to bail out aig like, think about how hard that would have been and at a time of extreme stress.
Speaker 5: And that's what we would see.
Speaker 9: If there was, you know, sort of a macro economic level of stress throughout the economy and one of these life insurance companies a theme or one of the others went under, you'd have to have fifty state programs to try to resolve this thing.
Speaker 5: And so it's dangerous.
Speaker 9: Obviously there's a lack of sort of regulatory juice on the part of these insurance commissioners.
Speaker 5: There's a hope.
Speaker 9: That you know, we could get more more of an insight into that, and there's a number of recommendations in the paper that I write about in this story about how to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very important story. I really recommend people read it. I read it two or three times to make sure that I understood the dynamics here. But you know, it does remind very much of the financial crisis, where there were all these linkages beneath the service the surface, and also the ratings agencies also being asleep at the switch or compromise in a lot of regards. It has a lot of echoes for some of what went down there. David Dan, thank you. So much.
Speaker 4: Great to see you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, David, appreciate it. Thank you guys so much for watching.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. It'll be a great show for everybody. Tomorrow Wednesday.
Speaker 1: See you then