Speaker 1: Duel Space.
Speaker 2: Well, hello, everybody, Welcome to another episode. I will be making things personal this week, as I typically do within most of the episodes, but this one is very personal. If you've been listening from the beginning. In episode one, I broke down some of the pivotal moments in my life, one of them being that I got bullied really bad in high school and I haven't really talked about the details of it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Why this episode this week is so special is because I am bringing on one of my high school teachers who was a safe space for me when I was going through this really, really horrible time. Her name is missus Manning, and I've stayed in touch with her over the years, and we've always wanted to do something to help students never have to deal with something that I dealt with, or if they do, at the very least have the tools to do it. And I knew when I created this podcast that I wanted her to be one of the episodes. Now, in the interview, you're going to hear me reference some of the things that happened to me in high school and explain them a little bit. But before we get into it, I wanted to give you a little bit deeper knowledge of the story, so you maybe feel a little bit more included as the story is being told with missus Manning. So, I had been on the cheerleading squad for my entire high school career. I joined when I was a freshman. I did junior varsity, and then I went on to be varsity. And I had been friends with a group of girls for many years, and we were all on the cheerleading team together, and we had done cheer camps and all kinds of things. We were all such great friends that we had multiple sleepovers. I have photo albums upon photo albums of all of the times and things we had done together. Well, it was as if overnight they decided they no longer wanted to be friends with me, which would have been fine, but you know, girls in high school don't really know how to handle things properly. So it wasn't handled as Okay, we just don't want to be friends with her, and we're going to gradually distance. Instead it was we're gonna spread rumors and make her feel horrible about herself and make her hate her life. So these girls who I once trusted told all my secrets to who I believed were great friends for life, all of a sudden became my enemies, for lack of a better way to put it. And when they decided that, that's when all the rumors began and all the horrible things that they wanted to say about me started. Around the school, I heard so many different things about my life that were never true, and I was made to believe that I was bad and I was this horrible person and I didn't deserve to have any friends. These were just some of the things that started this whole wildfire of a horrible senior year for me. Now, I was a flyer on our cheerleading squad, and for anybody who's familiar with cheerleading or not, that's the one that goes up in the air and they are trusting the bases with their life. Anything that happens. Anytime you see a fall, it is the basis and flyer combined. And while I was up in the air one day, I overheard my bullies aka previous friends say I hope she falls on her face and dies. And that particular phrase has been teared into my brain. I couldn't forget it if I want to. Now, there are many things I have tried to forget after I healed from this whole situation that happened, But that particular phrase has never ever left my brain, and I don't think ever will. I'm not gonna sit here in detail every single moment that happened, with the things that they said about me or what happened. But this is just to give some context into the situation that I was dealing with. And on top of that, there was a new cheer coach and she had a daughter that was joining the team as a freshman, and for whatever reason, I became the target. She wanted her daughter in my place, even though it was my senior year. She wanted her daughter on the varsity cheer squad in the flying position, and I became the one that she was going to take down to make that happen. So naturally, when you have a group of girls and then an older woman who's in a position of past all choose the same person to go after. It was your perfect storm of a literal tornado. And I use that kind of as a pun because it was in Kansas. Now, this is where I'm going to inter Missus Manning, who was one of my teachers at the time, and she became my safe space because as rumors were being spread about me, and horrible things were being talked behind my back, and these girls in this group of people were trying to turn everyone that I used to know or believed as a friend against me. I started to hide out in Missus Manning's classroom for multiple periods of the day, and she was the only place that really made me feel safe at school. So that's a little peak into the story. Now there's details, twist, turns and curves that I am not including here, but it's a baseline to give you context of why Missus Manning played such an important role in my life and why I'm bringing her on to not only speak to my situation, but also to help parents of kids who have been bullied, or to help people who've experienced this particular type of situation as they were growing up or in different situations as they've gotten older. And I would like to add that while this particular part of my story is heartbreaking and something no one should ever have to go through, I do acknowledge that this is the reason why the second half of my senior year I finished my high school education from home and would go on to spend some of my extra time in turning at a news station and a radio station, and I would get college credits, and then I would go on to graduate in three years from college and end up on the Bobby Bone Show because of that timeline. So there was a reason this all happened, although it never should have and I never wish it for anyone. I can look at my story now and realize what a special position the universe put me in to be able to be where I am today. And I do want to put a trigger warning here just in case we are going to talk about suicide later in the interview, and I want anybody who that may be triggering to to have a heads up that it's coming. And if you're uncomfortable with that particular topic, maybe this isn't the best interview to listen to, although I do implore anybody else that even if the topic makes you uncomfortable, I think it's a very important one that a lot of people will need to hear. This is a really special episode for me and one that has been an idea of mine for so many years.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I am joined by Missus Manning, who was one of my high school teachers, and as I like to say, my angel in high school that really helped save my life in a lot of ways. How are you, Missus Manning.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fabulous. I am so happy to get to sit here and chat with you today. And you are too kind. I just happened to be somebody who was able to be in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that you think of me that way. But you might be a.
Speaker 2: Little too generous, no, I am not. I often connect you to Have you seen the movie Matilda? Of course you were Matilda's teacher for me. You were that person in my life when I was going through high school.
Speaker 1: And Missus Honey, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know it is, and you are very special in that way, not just because you were an incredible human being, but Missus Manning was a safe space for me when I was going through a really horrible bullying situation in high school. These were girls who I had, once upon a time thought were my friends and that quickly changed and I didn't like being at school. It was a really dark time for me. So we're going to pull on some past memories here though, Missus Manny. We're going to see if you recall things and kind of similar way for me, but from your experience as a teacher, and we're going to kind of walk this back a little bit. At this time, you were a math teacher, which was ironic because it was my most horrible subject. And I still didn't stay I'm not good at math.
Speaker 1: Stop that, stop that I want to go. Can you still remember the distance formula song?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, now my heart's broken.
Speaker 2: And it was never a reflection of you as a teacher. I just was never good at math. And you know this. You know this because not only did I spend a lot of time post all of this happening, but free I was. And they're getting tutored often because it was so bad at math.
Speaker 1: You have to quit this.
Speaker 3: You had straight a's in every class you ever took, ever, like truly a real straight a all four years of high school. So you may not have liked it, but you were definitely better than you think.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'll try and start changing my narrative on that. But it was rough for me. But from your experience at this time, and we'll get to like the career change that happened later. But when you were a math teacher and you had your student who you know was going through something and became this like safe haven classroom for you. What was that experience like for you?
Speaker 3: You know, being in the classroom is so unique because you've got twenty five different stories that are sitting right there in front of you, and if you take the time to really get to know each one of them, like, what a privilege to get to be a part of that small piece of that story and hopefully get to be a bright spot in somebody's day. You, girlfriend, you had a lot going on and a lot of people may not see that on the outside. You obviously are beautiful and always have been, but you had these leadership positions, and you were involved, and you were athletic, and.
Speaker 1: You were smart.
Speaker 3: But all of those things are great, they don't necessarily shield us or protect us.
Speaker 1: From some of the ugliness that's in the world.
Speaker 3: And so if you take the time to see what's really going on underneath the surface, it's pretty special. If you can try to do something to help make that a better experience for somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you not only were this safe way in the school when the bullying situation was happening for me, there was often being rumors spread about me on multiple levels, and the reason I would often find a safe haven in your classroom it was because I didn't want to be around people as the classes were changing and getting looked at as a kid who's sixteen, seventeen years old. I didn't want to be around three hundred people who seemed to think that there was all these horrible things happening in my life and none of them were true, but I couldn't do anything about it. And so being able to come to your classroom just between pretty much every I guess I don't know what they're called anymore, but every single break in between classes, I was just like running. I would even be across the other entire end of the school and come there for a few minutes and then run back to the other side because it was just that safe place for me. How did you manage that where you're like, do I need to do something about this or do I just need to let her keep doing this? Until because I don't know that you knew a lot of the stuff that was happening until it kind of progressed further. What was that for you where you were like, how do I navigate this situation and still make her feel safe.
Speaker 3: You're right, I kind of came into it late, so I don't know if you remember, but shocker to the people who know me, I don't have a lot of background and cheerleading. It was absolutely not my wheelhouse. But I kind of got to step in and kind of help finish out a season, and that is one of the ways I got to learn a little bit more about what was going on kind of with.
Speaker 1: You and just wow, just wow.
Speaker 3: Truly, I can attribute that one experience to why I went back to school and I decided to get a degree in counseling instead of administration because I looked at what was happening within this group of girls and the power struggle and the bullying that's not what a lot of people think of as bullying, but that true relational aggression that happened, and I went, I'm not prepared to deal with this. I need to if there's somewhere I can make a difference in how to do better by my students, this is something I need to learn learn more about. So, yeah, coaching cheer for me was a real catalyst that shot me into this new career path and I'm grateful that I was there, and I'm glad that I could help you.
Speaker 1: I would never do it again.
Speaker 2: No chance to give you guys some more context. So the bullying that happened in my situation with some girls that I was friends with and we had all cheered together. This was my senior year of high school, so people I had gone through my entire high school career with, and I thought we were all friends, and then it was kind of like I woke up one day and they said horrible things about them. One that still is very ingrained into my brain is the I hope she falls on her face and dies. And as a cheerleader who was a flyer and had to trust the people below me with my life and I'm seventeen, hormonal girl, that's the last thing you want to hear. And that was just the beginning. Then it spun and spiraled then multiple different directions. But then miss missus Manning came in as one of our coaches because one of the coaches was involved in things that were happening to me, because she had somebody on our team that she felt was better suited for my role, and it became kind of this whole nightmare of a scenario with adults and other kids involved. And that's when missus Manning came in, took the coaching role, and she was like, what am I doing? What is happening here? And you got thrown into a fire not only of a sport that you were unfamiliar with, but of a whole situation that was never handled, And there wasn't a lot of talk. There wasn't a lot of like, do better with your mental health and understand your feelings and talk to people or talk to somebody. None of that was the case. So not only did you get thrown in in multiple levels, but you also got thrown into a situation that was ill equipped to handle any type of situation like that.
Speaker 1: Well and complicate matters even further. The cyberbullying was all pretty fresh. I mean, it was new.
Speaker 3: We haven't had a lot of experience with it at the time, and so even Kansas law at the time was fairly unclear about what you could do as far as consequences within the school day. Nobody doubted that some things were happening. It was just a matter of are these things that the school can actually act on? And I'm grateful to say that Kansa's law has come around, and you've got a little more leeway there where if those types of things are affecting the school day and preventing students from being able to access their education, administration has more power to step in and a responsibility even to intervene, Whereas before it was really predicated on well did this happen outside of the school day? What's the timestamp? Well did it happen at school? Was it on the school you know device or school computer? And it was just so frustrating because, let's be honest, bullies know what they're doing, Okay, they are smart, they are intentional about it. That power struggle, especially among girls, that relational aggression that I mentioned earlier. It can look so many different ways, but it is all intentional and it is covert, so you really have to be looking to see it if you're somebody on the outside. And that was kind of my goal, I guess at all of this, was just to have eyes wide open and try to take in everything and see everything and try to make that a little bit safer space for everybody.
Speaker 2: And you did, and that's why I felt so much comfort in being able to just spend time in your classroom as a lot of this was happening, and to your point of there are people who are experiencing bullies, and gosh, I wish there was a right way to handle any of it. It's all so based on a situation and how many factors are involved. There was a particular thing that I definitely do not suggest for any school administration, teacher or anything that was listening. And I cannot remember if you had gotten involved. At this point. They had put me in the girl who had been saying most of the bad things about me and these topics of conversation in the same room and said you guys should talk about this, and our entire group or a squad I guess you could say, was also in that room, so it wasn't just her and I, it was everybody in a room, and said you guys should should sort this out. And I remember looking around the eyes and I just said, why do you keep saying these things about me? Because I didn't know what else to say. You're sitting here telling me to talk to the person who's, basically, in my eyes at that point, ruined my life, and say what did I do to deserve this? Which nobody should ever have to do. And she just looked at me and just said, I don't like you. There was no reason, there was no this happened, and this is why I feel this way, and we can work on this. There was nothing I could have done to change anything. It was just I don't like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I was involved at that point. I'm curious. Was there an adult in the room?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe so. It was one of our higher administration at that point.
Speaker 1: Interesting, okay, yeah, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Like I said. I don't think you had gotten there yet at that point. But that is when a lot of bad things happen after that, because when you put somebody who's been in a victim position and then the bully in the same position, and all you're doing is making that victim feel more vulnerable, what do you think is the outcome? You know, it's just gonna be worse. There's gonna be more horrible things to happen. So while I can sit here and say I don't know the right way to handle it, which is why I brought on an expert of someone who is now a counselor, and that's why I want to shift that geared to that, but I can say that is definitely not the right way to ever approach a situation with a bully and somebody who's been bullied. So all that to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really sorry to hear that that happened the way it did. I think that schools have come a long way, society has come a long ways. I mean, we can talk about mental health now and it is not a happy subject like it used to be. Sure, there are a lot of families who still kind of have that ingrained that you keep these things to yourself, you bottle it out and keep it within the family.
Speaker 1: But as a whole we're.
Speaker 3: Able to access mental health supports different ways. I think you'd be happy to know. Here at the high school now we even have therapists that are in the building who can meet with students, So we're not just making referrals out. We're actually bringing those services in and trying hard to make some of those barriers that people have in the way of accessing mental health services be eliminated so that we can help more students. I do think, though, we have to look at the root cause of why a lot of people start to act this way. You go from being friends one day to enemies the next, And I feel like, I mean, you call me an expert. I don't know that I am, but just in what that I've seen over the past fifteen plus years, typically people are mean when they're insecure. There's something within themselves that they are insecure about, and they don't know how to see their self value or their self worth, and so they try to raise themselves higher by putting other people down. And so we as a school system work on SEL lessons starting in kindergarten and we're implementing those every single grade all the way through high school. We have to teach people about empathy. We have to change the narrative that just because some specifically with girls, just because someone else is successful or beautiful or intelligent, that doesn't take away from my worth. Let's all celebrate each other and continue to build each other up. But that's a narrative that we have to keep working on. So I do think that goal systems have a huge.
Speaker 1: Role in this, and we're trying. We're working hard. Are we there yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But again, I think when you're insecure, it can come out as ugliness, whether it's to yourself or specifically to others. So one of the things we have to do is we have to start targeting, especially the people who are maybe being the tormentors, and try to help them evaluate where does their self worth and their self value come from?
Speaker 1: Not there, we have to build that.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that so many of these things are being implemented now, and I'm not surprised either, because to your point, we have grown so much as a society and understanding that we can't just keep pushing these things under the rug and moving past them. They have to be addressed. So explain to me a little bit more. You said, there's a program that you guys have in place from kindergarten to high school. What is that?
Speaker 3: So we have sel social emotional lessons each level. So our elementary school they break it down by grade level. It's actually a class that the students have, counselors come.
Speaker 1: In and teach.
Speaker 3: We get informations at home in their backpacks, so I, as a parent get to know that this week my kids worked on forgiveness or they got to work on grit and what does it look like to have grit and to be resilient empathy specifically, So you know, these keep circling back all the way through until high school. And then in high school, you know, we have what used to be your encore time. We call it flex now kind of a study hall, and we've got sel lessons that we do on Wednesdays during that time. So we're just little reminders that you know, you may learn it once or twice, but it's always a good idea to be reminded of simple things like the golden rule. You know, do you really want to treat other people like that?
Speaker 1: What if it was you? And sometimes it sticks and sometimes we just keep reteaching it.
Speaker 2: Also, having that as a lesson is really cool. You know, we never had anything like that when I was going through It was you just figured it out through life and you got your feet thrown to the fire and said figure it out and you learned by way of other people, which I think we still have to do. That's always going to be a thing no matter what. But to have understandings of it because assuming that everybody has the same experiences in their home and having those lessons is not true unfortunately, you know, we wish it were, but that's not the case. So being able to learn that in a school that is a safe environment for that. That's really awesome to hear, like as someone who did go through what I went through, that it is starting really young, and we're trying and we're doing different things to help that process just emotionally, help people be better humans and have more role models in their life.
Speaker 3: Well, the other thing that if I was going to if you don't mind me, kind of going on a tangent here, what I want to tell parents I think we mentioned earlier. If your student or your kiddo is going through bullying, please please please communicate with the school, talk to us, let us know. Don't let your kids suffer in silent. We have to know what's going on, make a report. Bullying is usually persistent, consistent, it's targeted, you know, severe, and so a lot of times it does take we have to document. We can't just say this one time Sally was mean, that's not necessarily bullying. But once we have that documentation, that doesn't mean we can't intervene at the very first time and say, hey, how can we help Sally and make this be a better situation. We can have eyes wide open and looking again. Because sometimes bullying is not obvious and we have to really be tuned in and watch to catch some of those little things. Girls especially, they're tricky with the gossiping and the rumors, the silent treatment. The big one for middle school and high school girls I see is that social exclusion where they're going to leave somebody out. Maybe the group message goes to everybody except for that one person, and that's hard. It's hard to see those things if you're not paying attention and looking for it. So please report to your school and let us know, give us a chance to work. Trust the system, because I promise there are people in the buildings who want to keep your kids safe and happy, and we want them to want to be here. There's more that we can be doing. We need to be able to do everything we can for your kiddo.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that because I do have a lot of parents E listen, and I know that they have a lot of their kids listen, and these messages get ingrained and then hopefully passed down as people have their own kids. The generations continue. There's something that reminded me as you were saying this that if there are any parents who are listening, I think the biggest message that I often took away as I look back on my high school time was that there is this huge, huge life and world out there, and the bubble that you're in in high school is not everything. It feels like everything feels like anything that happens there. I cannot tell you how many people in my life who've been like I've been there. I felt high school like everything was going to be over, and you feel like the world is ending when things are happening there. But not everybody finds their people in high school. Not everybody experiences their high school sweetheart in high school. Not everybody goes through these experiences, and if you're seeing them, there is just this entirely huge world that has so many more experiences waiting for you. And I so wish if there is a message that I could communicate to students, it's that because it takes the power away from what's happening in high school to be this detrimental, world ending feeling.
Speaker 3: And I never felt that it's so hard because that is your world, right. So when you graduate and go to college, or when you finish college and you're on your own, you get to have so much more choice of who you spend time around. In high school, your schedule is pre built for you. You've got this first block class with these people and there's not really a.
Speaker 1: Way around it.
Speaker 3: So you've got kind of more walls and boundaries around you that you have to figure out how to make it work. But once you have the choice of who you spend your time with, choose people wisely. Be around those who build you up and energize you, not the people who drain you. And that doesn't mean you can't be friends with someone or love them. I mean, let's be honest, there are people whose family members they have to love at a distance. It doesn't mean they don't love them, but maybe they need a little more space, right. And I think that when it comes to friends, we have to always focus more on quality over quantity. I don't care how many friends you have. Really, all anybody needs is one. You need one solid go to. I've always got your back. You can tell me anything, your secrets save with me. You need that friend. Just one can save a life.
Speaker 2: It's tough with high school too, because we, as much as we would love to say that the stereotypes aren't there, they are there. Everybody wants to be loved everybody wants to be popular. Everybody wants that power in high school. It's the dream. You see it in movies, you see it in TV shows. You want to be that person. And I think there's something so beautiful as I look back on it, and I just I wish that I realized as a person going through those experiences that there was so much more to life outside of that bubble and understanding that even if you didn't have a bad experience, maybe you had a great experience in high school and then you went off and you did your own thing and you made these incredible friends in your adult world. Then you're like, oh, well I have my high school friends. You can have both. It's just this understanding that is just a season of your life in this world is a season. It's not the whole story. It's not the whole book that you're going to write. And I wish that was a message that I understood better. I'm sure I heard it, and I'm sure people tried to convince me of that, But when you're in it, and when you're in the thick of that and understanding and going through that, there's no chance that you're going to see it for what it is.
Speaker 1: You can't comprehend with you.
Speaker 2: I've been experienced yet there's beauty and history and there's a lot of knowledge when you've experienced life. I do call you an expert. I wanted to touch on a little bit more. You shared a little bit at the beginning. But this experience that you had with me transitioned you to becoming a counselor. You went from math teacher to a counselor. What has that been like for you and are you glad that that transition ended up happening?
Speaker 3: YEA, so I love my job. I will be the first one to tell you. I'm a huge nerd. Math is my jam.
Speaker 1: Like I'll still write my budget with paper and pencil just to get that little sensation of math, because I'm just that person.
Speaker 3: I never had a chance. I come from a family of educators. My dad's a math teacher, my sister is the math teacher. So I'm just kind of one of those sick people.
Speaker 2: But I love very intelligent, I think is the word we're looking for.
Speaker 3: You had talked in a previous episode about which side of the brain really works well for you.
Speaker 1: I've always been that analytical thinker, so I.
Speaker 3: Like rules, Switching over to counseling has been a very rewarding experience. Not everybody had a similar experience to you, but I've had a lot of students who shared with me some really personal important things in their life, and at the time as a teacher, I would do what I could, kind of put a band aid on it in the short term until I could get them down to a counselor and then refer them over and kind of hand them off to those experts and say, Okay, here's what I've brought. You work your magic. And for me, I wanted to know how the story ended. I needed to know that they got the resources that they needed. I needed to know that a report was filed if it needed to be. You know, we do a little bit that as a teacher, but I wanted to see the family resolution come to pass.
Speaker 1: I just needed more.
Speaker 3: And so based on the experiences that I'd had with students being willing to talk with me and share, I felt like this was something I needed to pursue further. So yes, my experience working I Joke with Cheer helped me start that path.
Speaker 1: But really it was an absolute blessed and.
Speaker 3: Each day we get to start something fresh, and you know, I might have a to do list of what I'd like to get done in a day, but you never know what's going to walk in your door. We do a lot of things like provide breakfast or snacks.
Speaker 1: We do a lot of meeting basic needs.
Speaker 3: Even in the high school that we're in, I think a lot of people view it as a very affluent school, we still have all kinds of diversity.
Speaker 1: We still have students living in poverty.
Speaker 3: We have students whose basic needs are being met, So we get to fill those gaps first. And once those basic needs are met, then we have the ability to dig a little deeper and you know, work on some of maybe their emotional needs, and then.
Speaker 1: We get to the academics.
Speaker 3: Because you have to have those basic needs met. You have to be in a ready to learn state before the education piece can really sink in and stick.
Speaker 1: So it's a privilege to be a school counselor you're so.
Speaker 2: Good at it, you were born to be in the educational field, There's no doubt about I'm very well aware of that. I think anybody who's ever been in your presence, worked with you can attest to that, and as someone who was one of your students, I absolutely can. So you can see it just in you talking about it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I appreciate that when.
Speaker 2: You mentioned too, how you never know what's going to walk in, something that I am a huge advocate for because in my experiences of this time in high school, for me, I was severely depressed and unfortunately had a lot of thoughts of suicide. This was my first experience with having a therapist, which unfortunately also for me, was not the best therapy experience because again, there wasn't a whole prolethora of therapists back then. Now you have so many options and people to fit specific needs. This was more like there was five and this seemed to be the best, and nobody knew. We were just kinda she needs help, what do we do? And that was something that was very present in my life and continued throughout the course of my life. But I I want to talk about this because this is a topic that people do not like to talk about. It is scary, it is uncomfortable. The idea that people have thoughts of suicide is turn it off. I don't want to hear about this. But as a counselor, I imagine that this is a topic for you, and it's experienced in schools often, and I want to be able to help parents help their kids if they are experiencing this, So as a counselor maybe you can provide some further insight into that.
Speaker 3: Yes, we hope that in all situations the students really comfortable in talking to their family and their parents. But the truth is, oftentimes students feel their responsibility to kind of shield their parents from the pain that they're feeling because they're worried it's going to upset their parents. So having somebody in the building that they can talk to, whether it's a teacher, a coach, a counselor having somebody that they feel safe with and is willing to have these direct conversations with is so important. And then we can help the students facilitate that conversation with parents, or if the student doesn't feel like they can do it, we can call and do it for them. But I guess what I would tell people is don't be afraid to use the word suicide. I think a lot of people, like you said, are afraid of it the word itself and asking the question are you feeling suicidal is not going to plant any kind of an idea in somebody's head if it wasn't already there. What you're doing is you're saying, I am willing to ask a very difficult question, and I will hold space for you no matter what the answer is to that. So don't be afraid of the word, ask the question. And then from there, we're trained teachers and counselors alike anybody within the building to go through and have a series of questions to decide whether or not this is something, you know, we need to act on immediately, or is it something that we can process a little bit more. We do get parents involved and make sure that they're comfortable with us having these conversations, but we question and then we persuade that person to get some help, whatever that looks like, whether it's from an outside therapist, whether it's to go immediately to your community crisis center where they have twenty four to seven help available, to do an evaluation and potentially find placement and make those referrals as needed to go a little bit further. You know, if somebody were to say yes and we want to decide severity, that's where people who are very trained will start asking questions that are maybe more like, do you have a plan? How often do you think about this? If you do have a plan, do you have access to what it is that you would utilize? But first things first, parents, if you're worried about this, you need to take action and get help right away. And then don't think just because you've got help and the next morning we wake up and everybody seems fine that it's over. It's going to be an ongoing process. So take precautions within your home. Lock up your pills, make sure guns are put away, locked away.
Speaker 2: If you have.
Speaker 3: Anybody in your family who's self harmed, you might have to go a step further and put away some of the show objects. But there are steps that we take as schools and as parents to just make the people around us know we care about them and to keep them safe.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that was a lot, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no. It was important, is what it was. And I wanted to give the space for that to be important because it is a hard topic, but it's one that I just I don't think people realize how prevalent it is amongst so many people. And I also want you if you feel comfortable to share. For me, when I was experiencing that I had so much shame associated with it, I was really disappointed in myself that I felt that way, that I had these experiences and I couldn't just get it together and be okay. What are some things that maybe you would tell parents if their kid is experiencing this, how they can support their kids to not feel that shame, Because I think the reason why it's so difficult to talk about is because you feel horrible that you feel this way on top of already feeling what you feel. Maybe if they're tools for parents to open that door a little bit further, that maybe it doesn't feel so heavy.
Speaker 3: So a couple of things that I would recommend. It's not easy and your team won't love it, but get them away from their cell phone for a while. There are a lot of great tools that are available, and I know the world has changed, but the amount of issues that I see stem from having a cell phone in their hand twenty four to seven all the time is so overwhelming. The constant information, the constant notifications, the inability to just be present and in the moment, the fomo right, there's so much that's tied to that. If we can just distance, put it away, don't let them have it in their room at night, have them charge their phones upstairs away from their bedroom, and just let that become a pattern. Give them some distance and some freedom from that cell phone. They may not see it as freedom, but it is exercise and it doesn't have to be intense. So for a walk with your kid and just talk with them. Make that a habit if you can, be preemptive. So if you're listening to this and thinking, oh, I'm so grateful my child doesn't have this going on, be proactive and keep those lines of communication open. Build those healthy habits now that can help prevent getting to this point then. And I think you just over communicate. If there's such a thing to your child that you love them no matter what, there's nothing ever that they could say or do that would stop that love, and that they can tell you anything. That doesn't mean that there won't be consequences for your action, but it just ensures that unconditional love and positive regard that I'm going to help you through anything, and there's nothing that we can't get through together.
Speaker 2: Those are really good pieces of advice and very thankful that I had parents who were that for me. That's why, truthfully, I made it through. A lot of what I made it through was not only the support system that I had in you and I had a few people who rallied around me at school, but my family who just allowed me to go through what I was going through and were they were my biggest cheerleaders and being like, we're here whatever you need, and that line of communication was always open even when it was really hard, and even when it I did feel that shame. So I'm glad you said all of that. But also the tip about the cell phone. I cannot imagine the experiences that teens are having with cell phones. Now, you know this is coming from somebody who I have an entire job based around social media. I see everything, I know what's happening on those platforms, and I know, as a fully grown, healthy adult, there are days I want to throw my phone in an ocean and run away from everything. And I have that capability because I'm an adult, because I am in my own life and I can see things for what they are. But as a teenager, having the access to the things that I have access to and the things that I see every day. I cannot imagine what that has added onto them. This is like a little bit off topic, but I do from your experience in the educational field, what has that been like, that transition of not only social media but cell phones. Everybody has one, in how it's kind of played a role in these experiences for kids.
Speaker 3: There's so much research out there and you can see the trends are coming where schools are starting to pull back. For the longest time, it was oh, let them have it, It'll be okay, And now we're seeing the attention span I.
Speaker 1: Mean is gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, students, who are I mean, I'm guilty of it. I say that as if it's not me. I can't tell you how many times I grab my phone and touch it just to see if something new has come up, right, I'd hate to see how many times really touched my screen.
Speaker 2: The notification high that you get yes, and.
Speaker 3: So our students are trying to navigate that. But they're also supposed to be learning the quadratic equation. What would they rather learn? I know what I'd rather learn, But most people like, yeah, you're unique, and so I know. So we have gotten to where we have students maybe put their phones in pocket at the front of the class and that way, they leave it there during class, pick it up on their way out. But schools all over are really starting to go back and they're seeing how much it is affecting mental health, self esteem, attention span. Parents, please, please don't let your kids think that it's their cell phone. It's your cell phone that you're letting them use, and you have control over it, and you should be all up in it. I don't mean to give parenting advice, but I will just from the sake of please. There are so many apps out there, there's so much station that can take place. Even just knowing that mom and dad might look at what I have going on in my phone can be enough to prevent some of those those ugly things from outside the world coming inside your house.
Speaker 2: And it's hard because we are living in a space where, you know, kids want their parents to be their best friend. And I can't attest that my parents are my best friends now. But when I was in high school and I was a kid, no no, no, no, we got in fights regularly because I knew that I was not in control, you know, and I was fighting against that and I'm better for that. Of course, you're in that experience and you don't feel that way again. Everything that's happening then is everything is against you. The world is against you, and there's nothing outside of that bubble. But it is important, and I can attest to what you're saying, but not just that. You are also a mom too. You're not just a teacher, an educator, a counselor, you're also a mom. You're having these experiences in real time.
Speaker 1: My kids get a lot of early lectures. I think so.
Speaker 3: My sixth grader does not have a cell phone. He's probably one of the only ones. I just recently gave him a watch that he can text, I think for people and call me. And that's it, because I get it. You want to be able to reach your kids. But there's just a whole world out there, and it's not all safe and it's not all pretty. And the second you put that phone in a kid's hand and you don't have any kind of parameters, locks, blocks, protection, you're opening them up to all of the scariest things that are out there. And if you think people aren't praying on our young are vulnerable, our low self esteem, they are they know what they're doing, and it happens not just to kids but to adults.
Speaker 1: And we have to protect our kids.
Speaker 3: And that cell phone is like opening the door to so many of the hurtful and hateful things that are in this world. So just it's not the devil, but I mean protect them from it anyway.
Speaker 2: Which is one of those things that less is more as they're growing up, be involved. Yeah, that's really important. It's also tough, I am sure as a mom, and someone who does have a full time jump can attest that you have eighty million plates you're juggling at any given time, and having to also balance and control a thing that's in their hands twenty four to seven is also really hard. So there's grace in that too, but it's also what's the balance at the end of the day, what's the most important level here? That is that you don't want them to experience these things? And I do think too. Had I gone through we had phones, but they were the flip phones and they weren't the smartphones. We didn't have a lot of the social media MySpace maybe, and gosh, even just people to their top eight friends was dramatic and we hated people for that experience, you know, like that was not well for us, and that was just top eight friends. So I cannot imagine, especially seeing the way that people talk to each other online. Have you experienced a lot of things that have translated. Maybe they started online and then they come into the school, or they start in school and then they translate online. Is that still happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens. And there aren't lines anymore. I mean there's very little out there and in here right like it's all one. So yeah, when that is happening online and it's think about a girl who doesn't understand why so and so said something bad about them? Or they're not talking to me. That's what they're thinking about. That's the thing that like, well, did I say something wrong? Why are they mad at me? They're not able to focus on other things. That's really hard for anybody to navigate, but especially we're talking about teenagers and they've got all these emotions and hormones and outside social factors. They're just learning time management. It might be the first time in their life they have real stress. Anxiety is huge. I see so many students who struggle with anxiety right now. I'd like to see the narrative on that change a little bit. Some anxiety is actually very healthy. Anxiety in and of itself is not necessarily bad. It's when it becomes uncontrolled you aren't able to cope with it. But if you have some anxiety because you have a test tomorrow, that's okay, that's your brain telling you, hey, remember we need to study for that. But when it becomes so crippling that you miss three days of school in a row because you're so nervous about going for whatever reason, whether it's social or academic or whatever, you know, you let your kids stay home because they're struggle. Well, now they're just even more behind and it compounds and that anxiety isn't getting any better, it's getting worse, and it makes it more and more difficult to return. So I think, as hard as it is, we have to get our kids in school. That was a huge thing post COVID, right, like a lot of people returning just back into everyday life was difficult. We saw a lot of that in students and trying to get back into school regularly. So if you have a kiddo who's maybe struggling with that high anxiety and avoiding school, call us, let us talk with you. Let's make a plan and try to figure out how to get them back here, so that we can put some different supports in place and make it easier. Because the only thing that happens when you continue to miss and get further and further behind is that anxiety to shoot that higher and higher.
Speaker 2: I like that you said too, that some of that anxiety is good because we have in a great way, we have learned so much, and we're so aware of so many things that we do forget that there are levels of that that are helpful to us as human beings. Because when you say the word anxiety, it's oh, gosh, you have that. I'm so sorry. That's a whole experience, but it is still a natural human experience to have an anxiety about a situation, and because it's also very closely assimilated to excitement and life happening to you, because you're getting all these nervousness around that anxiety. So I really love that you mentioned those two kind of comparisons. Yeah, well, is there anything else, missus manning you? Gosh, I am just so glad that you came on and shared so many things, not only just the experiences that we've had mutually together. But you and I also have talked several times about both of our desire to want to help kids, me in the space of not having them experience the things that I experienced and having tools to deal with that, and you wanting to just help all the kids be able to be kids and live in the school system and feel safe. So is there any other topics or things that like you want to talk about her? This is your moment, you can you can share whatever you want to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, we talked quite a bit on a lot of topics, but when we touched on suicide, and I know that that's a hot topic for a lot of people. I just want to make sure everybody knows about nine eight eight. Okay, So that is your that's your hotline for calling for mental health. You know, nine to one one is emergency situation and nine eight eight is your go to if you have somebody who's struggling, if you're not sure you just need some additional resources, that's an easy quick phone call and get some help. So I want to make sure people are aware of that. I want to thank you. This is right here in my desk.
Speaker 1: Hold on, this.
Speaker 3: Beautiful lady right here has been such an amazing success story, and I know you had to go through it to get where you are today, and it was painful, and it was it was ugly, and it was hard. But there are few things that make me happier than seeing how successful you are and just being kind of that model that shows us, yes, there's more to life outside high school. I can overcome this, I can do hard things. You've got this thick skin, and.
Speaker 1: Look where you are now. I'd be like, how cool is this? And just we're all so proud of you. We're so proud.
Speaker 2: I cannot you still have that on your desk. Also the fact that you have my senior picture just sitting on your desk.
Speaker 1: Still no, right here. Absolutely, yes, you.
Speaker 2: Are too grand to say all that genuinely, but it has I. As they say, I was forged in fire and I am grateful for that now and I can speak to those experiences now. I still wish nobody ever has to experience them. Despite how it has made me who I am, I still hope that not. I think we can do better. I think we can be better, and I think there's a world that these things don't have to exist, and people can still be forged in fire without having those experiences. And that's why I appreciate people like you, not just as a human being, but also as an educator, because you're in a field that's directly impacting them from the ground up. And it's not an easy job. You guys. You know, you get love sometimes or once a year in teach your appreciation, but you should get all the time what you guys do. And in that system, I have two sisters who are in the educational field, and what you guys do matters, and how you guys interact on a day to day basis with people, You were changing lives and you changed mine in so many more ways that I know, not even you recalling things. I know that I even warned you ahead of the thing I said, I'm probably going to forget a lot of things. There's probably stuff that I blocked out. But there's one thing that I do know and I'm so certain of, is that you were always a safe space for me and you were someone that I still to this day cannot speak highly enough of. So what you do matters, what you continue to do matters, and how you've taken that and run with that is an incredible thing for me to see an experience, and I'm just glad I exist at the same time as you do.
Speaker 3: I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. It is a it's a battlefield some days, but it is so worth it, and having moments like this is just so affirming and reminds us why we get up and come to work every day, because you never know when you're going to have an opportunity to make a big difference. So I'm just so proud of you, and I'm so grateful that you let me come on and chat with you a little bit.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it so much. You're the best. I want to think any of you who made it to the end of the episode and you're hearing this right now for listening to the episode, supporting this podcast, because you're allowing me to have conversations like these that I feel are so important and they really matter in the world right now. And I hope you really liked this episode and we're able to take something from it. And I want to give a shout out to all the educators out there again, because what you do matters and the impact you're bringing to the world is so important and I appreciate you and I see you. Please remember to rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast if you've been enjoying this and you're liking all the episodes, and follow the Instagram at Take This Personally. Also, you can watch episodes on my YouTube page at web GROLM Morgan. And you can also email me Take This Personally Podcast at gmail dot com if you want advice or there's a particular topic you want me to address. That is all for me right now. I will talk to you guys next week.