Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, Let's get to the show. Secretary of Pete buddhaj Edge. If anybody who's going to do a profile of this man, the very first question Krystal should be why are you so bad at your job? And instead Wired decided to do the opposite. Let's go and put this up there on the screen. You're not even going to believe this headline quote Pete Buddhajeedge loves God, beer and his electric Mustang. Sure, the US Secretary of transportationist thoughts on building bridges, but infrastructure occupies just a sliver of his voluminous mind. One particular segment of this is so stunning, it says, quote A Secretary buddhaj Edge and I talked in his underfurnished corner office. One afternoon, I slowly became aware his cabinet job requires only a modest portion of his cognitive powers. Other mental faculties, no kidding, are a portion to the iliad Puritan historiography NewsGuard spring, though not in the original Norwegian. Fortunately, he was able to devote yet another apse in his cathedral mind to making his ideas about three mighty themes Neoliberalism, masculinity, and Christianity intelligible to me. First of all, when you start writing that way, smack yourself in the face. Just pour a coral water on and smack yourself a couple of times.
Speaker 1: It's like deep insecurity, Like let me show people how smart, how smart is through let me throw on every big word I can think.
Speaker 3: Got me.
Speaker 2: Also, just think a little bit about this from even deeper level. Why is your whole mind not occupied on infrastructure? That's why every time I fly I get delayed? And why moms with their kids got stranded on the Southwest debacle.
Speaker 1: Or or we could talk about being involved in breaking the railroad strike. I mean, like his tenure as Secretary of Transportation has been legitimately catastrophic. It turned out that you actually needed someone who was good at doing this job. Who wasn't just good at like spinning confused reporters, doing cable news hits and hanging out with donors in a wine cave. You actually needed someone for this job, and he has dramatically failed. It's honestly amazing to me that you could find anyone who would write such an embarrassing haio hey geographic puff piece of this man at any time, let alone now, given his manifest record of repeated failures in the job that we have entrusted him with. And I just want people to understand, you didn't cherry pick quotes.
Speaker 4: In this like.
Speaker 1: Cherly gross. Let me just read you how this begins. This piece begins. It was tweeted out. Here's the tweet that went out with it. With the remarkable blend of intellect and empathy, Pete Bootagige brings a fresh perspective to the forefront of public discourse. That's what Wired tweeted out as their headline, to which a bunch of people replied like is this real or is this parody? The picture they put with it speaks volumes as well. The opening paragraph. Here's how it goes. The curious mind of Pete Bootagige holds much of its functionality in reserve, even as he discusses railroads and airlines down to the point to lit data that is his current stock in trade. The US Secretary of Transportation comes off like a mensa black card holder whom I have a secret, go have it, or a three second Rubik's cube solution, or a knack for supplying off the top of his head the day of the week for random date in fourteen oh four, along with a non condescending history of the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Speaker 5: What I can't like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this fawning celebrity style. Hey, geographic journal, I guess you'd call it. I like it is so disgraceful and confusing to me. I really just don't even know where these people come from.
Speaker 6: I don't even know.
Speaker 2: First of all, nobody can solve a Rubi's cube in three seconds. You're talking to a former cuber over here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and this is check your cathedral mindside.
Speaker 2: That's part of my listen.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is about Rubik's cubing is I won't get too into it. My best time was forty five seconds, That's all I'll say. So I doubt that Pete Budaget can solve it faster than that. That's an okay time. By the way, there are real people out there who can do it much faster. My favorite thing by reading and looking at all of this is the level to which she was seduced, this woman, Jinia Heffernan, because she is also getting deeply into the weeds. She goes, what is neoliberalism? What happened to it? Always getting mugged by reality. She asked questions about the tendency of markets and about paleoliberalism versus listen, okay, these are all great discussions. Maybe for a weekend segment on this show with an intellectual horror. If I have an opportunity to ever interview Pete Buddha judge, all of my questions will be on the FA. On the Secretary of Transportation on his genuine job responsibility. I don't care what he thinks about paleoliberalism. I care about are Americans going to be able to fly on time or at least closer to on time? Why are you ever going to break a railroad strike ever? Again? His views on Christianity, gay marriage, paleoliberalism, industrial policy, the Iliad, Norwegian and all that are immaterial to his actual job responsibility. And that's actually the biggest problem with this entire thing is it's narcissistic on behalf of Buddha Jedge and narcissistic on behalf of the interviewer.
Speaker 1: I also think some of the ideology that is a spouse in this piece is just really to me disturbing and flat out wrong too. They say, she writes, not everyone, it seems, even once a rising standard of living, if it means they have to accept the greater enfranchisement of undesirables, including of course women, poor people, black people, and the usual demons and the sights of the world's Ted Cruz's and Tucker Carlson's. So to really unpack that, I think is actually quite revealing to the core of the politics of someone like Pete Boudagidje, who apparently believes that some large portion of the country is so craven that they don't even want a better life for themselves if it means that black people are also going to do well, or women are also going to do well, etc. And I mean, this is antithetical to what I view, my view of human nature, my view of the country, my view of politics.
Speaker 7: So there's a lot.
Speaker 1: There is a lot going on here, but fundamentally, this is a powerful person who is right now in a position where he could be finding airlines and holding them to account.
Speaker 3: Could be could be.
Speaker 1: Putting forward new rules to make sure that a disaster like what happened in East Palaestine that you know, he could barely attend to or notice that that never happens again. Could be trying to provide resources for people who were poisoned, probably by what happened there, and instead, like what, I don't know what even you're doing with this article.
Speaker 2: But it is I also was just thinking of faux intellectualism. I know a lot a lot of people like this who are quote unquote well educated. Yeah, but then I'm also looking at this and he's like, she's bragging about him reading the Iliad. You're really bragging about reading a high school text. I would be more impressed if he was reading like a History of Trains or something from that from eighteen hundred. To me, yeah, maybe learn the intricacies.
Speaker 3: Of his job.
Speaker 2: But instead it's all like said, in such a it's like the Big Bang theory, Big banks.
Speaker 7: Very disturbatory, is ultimately what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like intellectual masturbation, right, like, look how smart I am that I know these things that keep footage?
Speaker 2: It just so smart about correct, It's like the idea that physicists sit around like in the Big Bang. It's like a dumb person's view of what smart people would talk about. Like nobody who actually has any intelligence would think or act this way and portray themselves like this publicly. And also that the interview fell for it shows that she herself is also, as you pointed out, deeply insecure. Cathedral mind iliad Norwegian, you know all this other like Grigorian calendar. It's like, look, you know, people who are actually very very intelligent do not need to try and force in your face like this so overall disgraceful by wiring.
Speaker 7: And but there is there's an embarrassing thing.
Speaker 2: There's a real strain of this. Remember whenever they were like he speaks nine languages and all this during the campaign turns out again like say hello, and I can say hello in twelve languages. So that's not even a marker of intelligence at all. It's just one of those where and also it's not qualification for president.
Speaker 1: It's just it's not qual It certainly hasn't proved to be a reasonable qualification for Secretary of Transportation, which is your job would you have failed at and nothing should make you leave sight of that.
Speaker 2: Some really interesting new news about how Americans and workers are feeling about their workplace. It's going to put this up there on the screen. Workers are happier than they have been in decades, mostly because of labor shortages and shifting expectations leading to improvements four millions. So the data here is absolutely fascinating. Of the survey of sixteen hundred workers was conducted in November. What they found is that unemployment remains low, and the decline in job opening suggests that workers might have fewer options and might be feeling more anxious. But what they instead found crystal is that we are at the highest level of worker job satisfaction in modern history, up to sixty two point three percent. From that data shows that that is up from sixty percent in twenty twenty one and fifty six percent in twenty twenty. What they found is that the people who are the happiest are those who voluntarily switch jobs during the pandemic and in individuals working in hybrid roles with a mix of in person and remote work. Men's male satisfaction is higher in the workplace currently with every component, especially in areas such as quote, leave policies, bonus plans, promotions, communications, and organizational structures. And really what they show here is that the main thing that gives people work satisfaction is a sick day policy, a bonus plan, mental health benefits policies, communication channels, and promotion policies. Those are like the six top things of promotional policy, sorry, of a worker satisfaction policy.
Speaker 8: But really what it.
Speaker 2: Underscored to me is when you give people options optionality like hybrid work or volunteers switching jobs for higher wage people are.
Speaker 1: Happy when people try like yeah, I mean I think there's a couple of things right you look at Okay, what's changed to make this landscape feel better for America's workers. First of all, the lowest paide jobs are actually the ones that have seen the largest wage gains, So that's significant for low wage workers, people who are sort of in the middle of their career, they're the ones who are most likely to benefit from these hybrid work schedules. And to your point, a key component of happiness, not just in the workplace but in general, is people feeling like they have control and say over their own lives. So even the fact of being able to pick, like how many days I'm going to be in the office, how many days are going to be at home? Having that level of flexibility and optionality and control over your own life, which is something that you should be able to take for granted, but obviously many people can't. That contributes to a sense of happiness. That's one of the biggest shifts that they say the biggest year over year increase in satisfaction came from work life balance and workload, which gets to some of what we talked about with the pandemic, sort of resetting people's values in their priorities, and then with the hybrid work options, they're able to implement some of those revised priorities into their work life balance and into making things work, and so I think those.
Speaker 7: Are important pieces of this.
Speaker 1: I also think another part is during the coronavirus crisis, there were a lot of people who.
Speaker 7: Were forced to switch jobs.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of people who decided to switch jobs, and of course it's always you know, nobody wants you to have to switch jobs. No one wants you to be out of a job, but when you do switch jobs. Number one, that's when you see your largest salary.
Speaker 7: Increases when you switch switch jobs.
Speaker 1: And number two, that appears to have resulted in people choose more affirmatively choosing the work that they're doing. So they're shifting maybe out of frontline service worker into warehousing roles that they're finding more fulfilling, or have larger, higher wages, or have more predictable schedule. So the fact that so many people were sort of like forced into a new situation seems to have, on the end of it, had a silver lining of improving people's quality of life.
Speaker 2: That's actually the part I found most interesting is that a huge portion of the people who got laid off in leisure and hospitality left to go work in logistics or warehouse chains like in costco where quote, the hours and the pay are better. You've got stable schedules, you can plan for childcare, transportation, not dealing with irate customers, and it's a more pleasant working environment, which leads to two things. A costco has to pay more to lure some of these people over, and b the people who do want to work in service industry are getting paid a ton more because the available pool of workers is not there. It's a lot easier to deal with an irate customer when you're getting paid let's say forty twenty thirty dollars an hour with tips and two dollars an hour with you effectively a real wage rate of like fifteen dollars per hour, so you're basically getting a double raise in that. And then you've also got a lot of white collar workers who love hybrid work. It also does kind of underscore me where the job satisfaction amongst full remote workers doesn't appear to be that high. A lot of full full remote workers appear isolated. They don't particularly like it, they don't have that connection. Hybrid to me seems to be like the best at both words. Get a little bit in person. You still have some company culture and all of that, like maybe say three days a week, but you've got enough where moms and dads can figure out who's going to pick somebody up or drop somebody off work their you know, dentist appointment, into the lunch break, et cetera, and still get the job done. I think that's probably the best of both world.
Speaker 1: I think it also depends a lot on winning large in your career, you know, because I think if you're early in your career and you're just getting into that office culture, maybe you prefer more in person. If you're you know, mid career, you may prefer more of that hybrid.
Speaker 7: Or even remote work schedule.
Speaker 1: I think it just really depends person of person, which is why having the choice and the flexibility is what really, you know, people are sort of looking for and responding to here. So I think we have to put the other like negative side of this out there, which is that the fact that there's a tight labor market, which makes it a lot less risky. If people do want to change career paths, that is something that the FED is actively looking to destroy. So this improvement in quality of life and worker happiness may be short lived if they continue down the path that they have been on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 3: Hi. I'm Matt Stoler, author of Monopoly focused Substack newsletter Big and an anti trust policy analyst. I have a good segment for you today on this Big Breakdown. It's about AI and the policy choices we're making right now to structure how this remarkable technology is deployed. So let's dive in. Okay, So there's a ton of chatter these days about artificial intelligence on Wall Street, with the government all over Silicon Valley and the media and Congress, constant hearings, constant chatter. As just one example, let's take a listen to sixty minutes last month.
Speaker 9: We may look on our time as the moment civilization was transformed as it was by fire, agriculture, and electricity. In twenty twenty three, we learned that a machine taught itself how to speak to humans like a peer, which is to say, with creativity, truth, error, and lies. The technology, known as a chatbot is only one of the recent breakthroughs in artificial intelligence, machines that can teach them themselves superhuman skills. Ah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm rolling my eyes a little bit, but I mean the technology is clearly important. It's not like fire agriculture, but it's a big deal. Okay, So what is it? What is this machine learning stuff? Why is everyone so excited?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: AI, It's a bad name, but what it means is it's a broad method of taking large data sources and running them through an algorithm to train a powerful pattern recognition software program unlike things like crypto or self driving cars. Artificial intelligence, this big machine learning stuff, it's real. It's a real technology. It actually does stuff. AI algorithms underpin computer assisted language production, image generation, engineering and programming, a bunch of scientific endeavors, and some of the stuff that people have been able to do is pretty extraordinary. Take protein folding. Now, protein folding is one of those extremely difficult but critical problems in biology. It's useful for drug discovery, all sorts of scientific advances, and an aiprogram solved it. It's been like a fifty year problem like no one could solve, and they solved it in twenty eighteen with one of these tools. Okay, so that's really good. But the thing about scientific advances is that how we deploy them. In fact, the very technology that we create is a function of law as much as engineering. So as an example, in the nineteen sixties, IBM sold a certain kind of computer, a mainframe in it dominated the industry. These computers included all software that IBM told the cosmeers they might need. It was all IBM software, and you got it for free when you bought the computer. Because of an anti trust suit IBM unbundled its software to be sold separately, thus allowing rivals to actually make and sell software for IBM machines. The software industry was born. Okay, So we didn't have a software industry before that. That case created the software industry, and had that anti trust suit not happened, we may not actually have had one. Might have just thought of compute is this thing that you buy in a bundle. In other words, there's no one path for technology. Technology developed under different legal regimes, even if the know how, the scientific knowledge is similar, actually is fundamentally different. And the thing is is the monopolists know this. Okay, So now with all that in mind, with that context, let's talk about the politics of AI. Here's former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who is a monopolist par excellence, explaining that the industry should set its own rules.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen. It shouldn't be a regulatory framework. It maybe shouldn't even be a sort of a democratic vote. It should be the expertise within the industry help me sort that out.
Speaker 11: The industry will first do that, because there's no way a non industry person can understand what is possible.
Speaker 8: It's just too new, too hard.
Speaker 11: There's not the expertise, there's no one in the government who can get it right. But the industry can roughly get it right, and then the government can put a regulatory structure around it.
Speaker 3: Schmid is one of the more important political figures in the way last twenty five years. He's highly influential under Obama, Trump, and Biden. Also the architect of Google's monopoly, one of these people that spans business and politics in a really savvy way. And Schmidt's commentary matters because it embeds two myths that characterize how we talk about power in America. The first is that markets exist as part of the state of nature until this external force called government comes in and regulates them. Now, that's not the way things happen. The truth is, it's not whether to regulate markets, but how markets are not natural things. They are political institutions structured by human beings. There's all sorts of different types of markets. So, for example, social media, it's a regulated industry. It's not unregulated. It's just regulated to let Mark Zuckerberg decide what happens. And underpinning Zuckerberg's power is a whole host of public rules from the corporate charter itself to property rights which are mandated by government to restrictions or or abilities to use data in different ways. Now, Eric Schmid's myth, and it's a broadly held myth, is done for specific reason. They want to set up a question of whether we should regulate, as opposed to discussing how to do so. And the reason to set the question up this way is to suggest that anybody that wants some sort of public input into how we innovate, into the technologies that we develop, will bear a heavy burden because then you're asking for the government to come in and do something too. This natural myth, this natural state of the market, the state of nature. Okay, so the sec that's the first big myth. The second myth is related, and it is that technology is merely a result of scientific or engineering prowess. It's just an external force that happens. And then again government comes in to regulate technology. Again, this is to subtly set up tech barons as the legitimate arbiters of power. Now, remember they all operate through companies that are chartered by public, by public mandates. They have all their property is structured by public rules, but they want to pretend to otherwise, they develop technology, and then the idiot interlopers in the government try to take everybody wear a seatbelt, those nerds, right, But of course this is all ridiculous. How we develop technology, as I showed with the IBM example, is a function of science and law. And you can see this all over the place, from the breakup of standard oil to the breakup of AT and T in the nineteen eighties, both of which unleashed in nineteen teens, the nineteen eighties, fantastic innovation in energy and telecommunications. You see this all over. How we structure markets really has this kind of catalytic impact or withholds innovation or its structures innovation down certain certain paths. Okay, so why is Eri Schmidt putting forward these myths? Well, they came together in a very important, deceptive question designed to structure the future of AI, and that is, will AI disrupt Google's search monopoly? This is an important question, right, and it's framed in a way that embeds these two myths into the question itself. So here's that same sixty minutes program putting forward that sort of premise.
Speaker 9: Worldwide, Google runs ninety percent of Internet searches and seventy percent of smartphones.
Speaker 5: We're really excited about.
Speaker 9: It, but its dominance was attacked this past February when Microsoft linked its search engine to a chatbot.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Google's PR department presumably worked very hard to have sixty minutes set up the question that way. Why Well, because the government is threatening Google's monopoly and I'm going to get to this in a second, but in doing so, it's threatening the ability of any AI firm to monopolize the future. So in twenty twenty, the Trump Anti Trust Division accused Google of monopolization, and that antitrust case is being hurt by a judge over the course of this year. Let's take a listen to a then Department of Justice official in twenty twenty explaining the case.
Speaker 10: This morning, the Department of Justice and eleven States filed an antitrust civil lawsuit against Google for unlawfully maintaining a monopoly in general search services and search advertising in violation of Section two of the Sherman Act.
Speaker 3: So specifically, the argument is that Google excluded competitors from the search market by making sure that Google is the default search engine anywhere you go. So, for example, the company pays fifteen to twenty billion dollars a year to Apple to force iPhones to automatically bring up Google searches the default instead of say something like Microsoft. Being Google bought Android, which is the operating system for the majority of mobile phones globally. It puts its search engine in front of users as the default, and then it collects search data from those users. It uses that data to tweak its own products, but also prevents its rivals from getting that data to improve theirs. In essence, one way to think of it is that Google bought up all the shelf space and says, you can't put rivals on the shelf space. It's just Google Search. In all, Google pays forty five billion dollars a year for contracts, just domestically, for contracts to block out rivals signing deals with and here I am quoting directly from the DOJ filing Apple, LG, Motorola, Samsung, major US wireless carriers such as AT and TT Mobile, Verizon. Browser developers such as Mozilla Opera use web to secure default status for its general search engine, and in many cases to specifically prohibit Google's counterparties from dealing with Google's competitors. Okay, so you can see the resulting decade long search monopoly in this timeline of the search market. Now, if you look at it, the most dangerous time for Google was between twenty ten to twenty twelve for two reasons. First, the government came close to getting an anti trust suit. The government investigated, but it actually didn't bring a complaint unfortunately. Second, at the time, in two thousand and seven or so, Google had a desktop search monopoly, but the iPhone, the smartphone starting in two thousand and seven really accelerating into twenty nine, ten, eleven, twelve. It opened up a new market and opportunities for new kinds of search engines that used location data and other other things you can have on a phone, and these were potential rivals to Google. Consumer habits in desktop were had solidified, but they hadn't in mobile search the time though, and this is one of these inflection points, kind of like the inverse of what happened in the sixties with the IBM IBM anttrasuit. Policymakers decided to allow Google to leverage its power in desktop search to grab mobile search. So Google bought Android and that didn't go challenge there are laws you could challenge mergers, but the government didn't bring a challenge. And then it had all these contracts with distributors that were explicitly excluding rivals, and the government didn't challenge them either. So that technological inflection point is similar to where we are now with AI. As was the case, then there are lots of potential paths for what kind of technology we develop, what kind of AI enabled web we have, And there's a there's a there's a good analogy, Like the Google story is sort of sad, but it was. There's a there's a better case where we can look at how stuff worked really well and we don't have to go back to the sixties. The Google case that the government is arguing right now is built in a similar case brought when Microsoft was busted in the nineteen nineties for doing something to a browser company called Netscape. Microsoft wanted to dominate this new thing called the Internet, so it bundled its browser, its own browser, Internet Explorer with its operating system, and paid distributors like Internet service providers such as AOL Yahoo at the time to not carry its browser rival Netscape. In short, like Google is doing now. It brought up all the shelf space and tried to deny that shelf space to rivals. The goal for Microsoft was to make sure the entire web belonged to them. There's a lot more there, but I'm not going to go into it. Fortunately, though, the Anti Trust Division brought an antitrust case, and so Microsoft didn't use its power over browsers to block the next generation of innovators. That again, the Microsoft lost the case, but the remedy was over turned on appel. Very complicated, but the basic point was brought forward in an article in twenty twenty by Charles Doduhag at The New York Times, who went back talked to a bunch of Microsoft insiders about what happened in that period from the late nineteen nineties to the mid two thousands, when a whole bunch of new companies like Google and Facebook and Amazon were growing. So here's what they told him. He said, insiders were thinking of reprogramming Microsoft's web browser, the Popular Internet Explorer, so that anytime people typed in Google, they would be redirected to MSN Search, or perhaps a warning message might pop up. Did you know Google uses your data in ways you can't control? Now? Microsoft was so powerful, and Google so knew that the young search engine could have been killed off. But quote, there was a new culture of compliance and we didn't want to get in trouble again, so nothing happened. The myth that Google humbled Microsoft on its own is wrong. The government's anti trust suit is a reason that Google was eventually able to break microsoft monopoly. If Microsoft quote if quote, if Microsoft hadn't been sued, all of technology would be different today. That was a different lawyer involved in the case. Again, There's no such thing as an unregulated market. There's no such thing as deregulation. These is bad language, bad concepts to stop us from thinking about power. We chose to regulate the browser market and operating softwares in the early two thousands to allow Google and a whole bunch of other companies to escape Microsoft's clutches, just as we chose to regulate the market in the twenty teens to allow Google to crush its rivals in search and throughout the web. And these choices led to different political and technological destinies. A lot of innovation, much more decentralized market in the two thousands, a lot of orterianism, a much more monopolized market in the twenty and teens. So let's get back to the current case against Google. The judge is a guy named Amid Meta, and he has set to decide whether to toss the case, to narrow it, or to let it go to trial. In a recent hearing, the potential competitive threat of new technologies like AI chatbots came up and the judge Meta what. He was intrigued, and he sort of bought into the myths that Eric Schmidt was peddling, but he wasn't totally sold. So now it's worth asking the question, if AI is so great, why aren't AI empowered search engines being offered to consumers right now where they actually engage in search. Now. Microsoft tried to do this in a few months ago. Microsoft's Being did actually get a slight mump in usage, but Google was still at ninety percent of the search market, and now Microsoft's Being is back to where it was. Google is still a search monopoly. It's not what they say, but that is in fact the case, and Being is not the only rival search engine to Google. They're smaller ones that like Neva and Duck Duck Go so that have different approaches to incorporating AI. Niva is personalized and ad free, duc dot Go doesn't track users, so these are differentiated products that you can use if you want. But these search engines are not being presented to users because Google Search is the default, so only really sophisticated users are actually getting to them. So unless judge meta rules against Google, then as Google rolls out its own AI programs, Google's AI programs will be the default as well. So here's a video on how Google is going to turn the whole web into its own wald garden by integrating everything that it has. That's remarkable, and they're going to keep doing things like that to make the web its own wold garden. In fact, Google using AI will probably attempt to eat the whole web. Now, so that means that at worst, Google is going to control pretty much everything that we see. It won't just control directing us to what we see. It will control what we see at best if we don't. If judge meta rules badly, AI could be an oligopoly of the well capitalized. So maybe you'll also have Microsoft or Facebook or Amazon, but that's kind of all you'll get. Well, we can already see firms preparing for different futures. One way to restructure search is to present what's called a choice screen to users instead of giving them a pay to play default search option. So that actually worked in twenty seventeen, Russia did this and it actually broke Google's monopoly. And if Judge Meta actually forced that as a remedy, the forty five billion dollars of annual payments would just go away. DUC, Ducgo and Niva could actually compete. And it's almost certain that companies like Apple would unveil search engines that they are developing. And yeah, Apple is actually developing one. They just why would they deploy it If they're getting fifteen to twenty billion dollars from Google a year. If that money goes away, they will deploy their search engine. So you'll see a lot more competition in the search market if this monopolized structure gets taken away by a judge. So an anti trust decision against Google would unleash an explosion of innovation around search, and that means AI enabled search. More importantly, the deployment of AI would be less likely to be monopolized because this decision would create a presumption against monopolization in the new business environment. OpenAI, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, or anyone else who grabs a choke hold would have to worry about a judge ruling against business methods intended to restrain others in this vibrant space. That's how the law works. It works via precedent. The stakes here are high. In the last technological inflection point, the shift from desktop to mobile, enforcers and regulators and Congress wrote rules to facilitate monopolization and allow Google, Facebook, and Apple to dominate our phones and the mobile web. That occurred by the FTC, the Felt Trade Commission closing its investigation in twenty twelve against Google with a unanimous vote, allowing Facebook to buy Instagram and WhatsApp, doing nothing about google suite of acquisitions, and Congress not actually coming in and making any laws around the use of data and various other things. Okay, but that was a different political moment. People were a lot more comfortable with monopoly at that time. They didn't think it was a big deal. But today it's different. So this is an FT of Financial Times op ed by an activist named Sarah Myers West, and it shows that we haven't made policy choices, but there is actually a genuine dialogue about consolidation in big tech AI see Move Fast and Break AI up. People know that there's a concentration problem. And it's not just that there's like a lot of chatter about it. I mean, I brought up you know, West's op ed, but there were like there was hearing their hearings in Congress, people that are talking about it all the time. And it's not just that. There is actually an antitrust trial and that I talked about earlier, and it's the first of many. There's a bunch that have been brought to again Google, but this is the first it's going to trial, and it's actually being brought by a reinvigorated anti trust division. And it may be the case the judge Meta rules badly. Maybe he'll rule that he wants artificial intelligence monopolized in the hands of a few. That would, I think, in my view, be a subversion of the Sherman Anti Trust Act. But judges haven't done a particularly good job recently. It could also happen that he doesn't do that, that he Meta surprises and acts like a judge called Harold Green, who was the courageous judge in the early nineteen eighties who broke up at and T and did as much as as to bring forth an open future as any engineer in Silicon Valley. But regardless of how a meta rules, the case is sure to be appealed and Congress is going to discuss it no matter what. So whatever happens, at least this debate is going to be done publicly, with the government's anti trust enforcers on the right side, with the possibility of appeal and the possibility of congressional action, of state legislative action of action all over the world, a long way to overcome the myths that I laid out in the beginning that Eric Schmid put forward. These are very powerful myths. They are embedded in how we think. That is the false question of whether to regulate our markets versus the fact that they are just there are rules, and the debate is what kind of rules those are going to be, or pretending that technology is just this external force that kind of happens, and that the government comes into set some boundaries instead of seeing collective action as foundational to how technology is developed in one way or in another, it's always we, the people that structure the path of technology. So it's on us as a democratic society to tell our lawmakers who represent us that we don't want our scientific knowledge, our engineering prowess, our innovation controlled by the few. We must be as jealous in defending our liberties as the monopolists are to take them away. But it starts with freeing our own minds from their bad ideas. So thanks for watching this big breakdown on the Breaking Points channel. If you'd like to know more about big business and how our economy really works, you can sign up in the district in the description below for my market power focused newsletter. Big thanks and have a good one.
Speaker 12: The IRS is trying to compete with some of the e filing tax monsters that are already in the industry.
Speaker 3: Let's put this tear sheet up.
Speaker 12: You can see a headline from the Washington Post the IRS tests free east filing system that compete that could compete with tax prep giants.
Speaker 2: So they're saying that they've been.
Speaker 12: Sort of quietly constructing a system, that a software system that would allow Americans for free to file their tax returns digitally. That's according to current and former agency officials with knowledge of this, who told the Washington Post it's going to be a pilot program for just a smaller group of people actually in January, when the twenty twenty four filing season begins. According to people who know about it, it was developed actually by the IRS and the US Digital Service, which is kind of the White House's tech consulting firm Agency.
Speaker 2: Ryan.
Speaker 12: This is really interesting to me because the IRS has cooperated a lot with the e filing giants, like that's a it's almost like a public private partnership, so that they've been sort of in the shadows developing something that will compete with these businesses. I feel like they've been instrumental in propping up is quite interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those eighty seven thousand agents are being put to some good use, although it.
Speaker 12: Was always what like seven thousand new agents, like eighty thousand new employees.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, if that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So.
Speaker 4: For the background on this, as you know, so, I've got a book coming out at the end of end of this year and I go over the TurboTax fight from twenty nineteen, so this is fresh in my mind.
Speaker 9: But if you remember.
Speaker 4: TurboTax and the other kind of free providers, we're trying to slip in to law a provision that would basically ban the irs from doing this, and they had and they got John Lewis to carry the water for them, because you just can't oppose anything that John Lewis did, Like that was the one rule in Congress. John John Lewis is for it. You have to you have to be for it.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it went through the House unopposed. Every every Democratic Republican voice vote voted for it. And I've got some details on how that happened. It's it's kind of a fun story. But uh, it was then exposed and it was blocked in the Senate. And so as a result, that allowed the I R s to go forward with this technology. And so one of the compromises that they had made with the TurboTax types was that, Okay, we will continue our cooperation with you so that you can prop up this business of helping people file their taxes online if you also develop a free product for people to use, so you can have your premium thing where you'll get more money back and you'll do your taxes accurately, but for free, you do this one. And they just kept obviously foot dragging, slow walking and never and have never developed a free product as they've cut as they've promised the government that they would do so. In the background, IRS was like, this can't be that hard, and also we have access to all the IRS back and stuff.
Speaker 3: We can do this.
Speaker 4: It's absurd, but also telling that we don't have that yet, like that we're such a privately controlled government that even our tax our revenue engine, couldn't develop a website to just let people give it money. Like you're getting trillions of dollars from the public, and you couldn't build a website for them to send it to you. But now finally they're breaking through that opposition. You know, hopefully it actually works because I think if you people can save the money that they're spending on H and R block or turbo tax filing online, I think, sorry turbo tax, but like that's that's a good thing, you know.
Speaker 12: I hope though, that this isn't a situation where in the same sense that like the IRS has less funding historically than it has had in the past right now, Like that's absolutely true, and who ends up getting squeezed when you start arming the IRS with tons and tons more researchers resources. There's like actual evidence and Soccer's talked about this a lot that you know pretty much suggests it's going to be a lot of middle class tax payers who end up having to deal with these audits, even ones that cost them a lot of money, when they haven't really done anything wrong or there's no evidence of wrongdoing. And I hope it's in a similar situation with this because as somebody who has had both Obamacare like on the DC Exchange and private insurance in recent years, the private insurance like just does talk about the infrastructure and the websites there's so much easier to use than the government ones. And we know that the Obamacare websites have had problems going back to like the literal inception of the Obamacare websites, And so I hope again that what doesn't happen is that people who you know, want to pay the the flat turbo tax fee get it over with, end up then having an inferior product. And the option is, you know, TurboTax charging like five hundred dollars for what used to cost less because they need to make up that base. So I mean, this is the This is what an industry guy is saying, he's with File Yourtaxes dot Com.
Speaker 2: He says, is there a need for.
Speaker 12: The government to come compete with in terms of functioning private sector industry.
Speaker 3: Bless you.
Speaker 12: It seems like they're saying, it's where's this one? This is the guy from into it. He says, a direct to IRS E file system is wholly redundant and is nothing more than a solution in.
Speaker 3: Search of a problem.
Speaker 12: Right, so this could disrupt what is as the post sage feels that way, right, a fourteen billion dollar e filing industry. And again, a lot of that is because you get the cooperation of the IRS to begin with. And so I'm sort of in agreement and then in disagreement with your take on this and that I think some of these private filers are actually pretty efficient and relatively easy to use. At the same time, I do think a basic function of the i r S would be having an easy to use e filing program that is free for taxpayers. Because we spend our money propping up the i r S, like, that's our money is funding you, so's it's a little bit of both. For me. Bottom line is it's way too complicated to do taxes in the United States, and a lot of that is because of a tax code that has been completely constructed by special interests and lobbyists and does not serve the average American but serve special interests and serves wealthy Americans.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I guess we'll see.
Speaker 4: So so far, IRS dot gov is actually pretty pretty good. I've used it for like you know, there's there's some few basic things that you can do on and then it actually functions.
Speaker 9: I was I was impressed by that.
Speaker 4: So we'll see, like if they can. And it would be nice for the government government to be able to demonstrate that it can do things again, So we'll see if it can, because it is up against all of these forces that are in opposition to it being able to do things like into It spoke to Rick Heinemann, who and credit to the wash It Post the very next paragraph they write into It spent one million dollars between January and March lobbying both House and Senate lawmakers on issues including tax system integrity and intellectual property protections, according to disclosures.
Speaker 12: Wish they do that in like Pentagon coverage.
Speaker 4: But yes, yes, now clearly you found a populist issue when even like the Washington Post reporters are like throwing shade at the end it quote that they're including in their own and saying, you know what, I'm checking the disclosure filings into it.
Speaker 3: See what they spent on lobbying Boom million dollars.
Speaker 4: You can spend a million bucks lobbing for three months, and then you're giving us a quote that says the solution will unnecessarily cost taxpayers. You just spent a million dollars of money that people paid you to develop this software. You gave it to lawmakers and lobbyists in order to prevent them from building a competitor to you. So don't tell us about waste unnecessarily costing taxpayers money.
Speaker 12: And on a high note, I guess we can all agree that both our government and private sector is a mess.
Speaker 7: Right now, there you go.
Speaker 4: So come on, irs, show us you can do it.
Speaker 8: We'll be watching.
Speaker 1: So we're joined now by Jordan Sheridan of status Q News. He's been on the ground in Kalamazoo doing some really important reporting about a toxic paper mill there which seems to be having some local impacts. That Jordan first set up for us and for our audience as a reminder what you found on the ground and then tell us what the reaction has been.
Speaker 13: Politically Yeah, Graphic Packaging International, it's a multi billion dollar packaging company. It's plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan is a cardboard recycling plant. It's been there for a long time, and for a long time residents have been complaining of horrible smells coming from that plant, predominantly in the poor black part of Kalamazoo. High rates of asthma, COPD, heart disease, cancers in this neighborhood. But basically nothing happened. And there was a health study initiated in twenty twenty by a resident, not the government, but a resident who just was really aggressive and paid out of pocket for a toxicologist to look at some of the gas data.
Speaker 5: This is what drove the Health department to do.
Speaker 13: A gas study, to do a study on the dozens of volatile gases coming out of this plant right into the black community. Frankly, the Health department dragged their feet for three years on this health study that could have been out probably in a year. And when I went down there, you know, we reported right next to the plant. I got sick just being next to that plant. Trying to speak coherently. You get a headache, sore, throat burning eyes as far as the five to six miles down the road. The smell and gases are now going into the West Side, predominantly white neighborhood because the plant expanded two years ago with the help of Governor Whitmere's administration. So essentially, you've had a plant emitting far, far more than is regulatory allowable for years, but because of big business and its financial importance to Kalamazoo City officials basically ignored it. Thankfully, our report got traction also thanks to Breaking Point for publishing a report from us on the ground, and this seemed to kind of force the Health Department to finally release the health study. And that health study found that they're releasing at least one guess hydrogen sulfide at nineteen times higher the allowable limit.
Speaker 1: So the article we put up a moment ago has some of those details. They say that the data that has now for the first time been publicly released over the past four days has shown hydrogen sulfide, which you just mentioned, concentrations near the factory as high as four parts per billion. It's a foul smelling gas that can cause health issues when humans are exposed to it. Federal government says levels should not exceed one point four parts per billion for long term exposure of a year or more. And of course this plant has been in the community four years, so these residents are having to deal with, you know, not only the quality of life of having to live next to this like smelly, horrible, gaseous thing, but also real health impacts that they are feeling day to day. Tell us a little bit more about the residents you spoke with and what they had to say about how this has impacted their lives.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I just want to note that health study, although finally it's good that there is a health study lacking.
Speaker 5: For example, there was in twenty twenty.
Speaker 13: They found it at nineteen parts per billion, which is ten times higher, so they kind of cherry pook picked their findings. But anyway, that's the Michigan Health Department. People in Flint know that. Yeah, the residence, it really is stunning. I mean, just being a block away from that plant. Doing an interview, I was interviewing the resident, Dianne Winfield.
Speaker 5: She's got horrible asthma.
Speaker 13: Her seventeen year old daughter had a minor case of asthma before they moved blocks away from that plant.
Speaker 5: The asthma got way worse.
Speaker 13: Living next to that plant. She died of a severe asthma attack. Her or thirty two year old son didn't really have asthma growing up.
Speaker 5: They moved near that plant.
Speaker 13: He's now on twenty four to seven oxygen and has had a lot of close calls life or death. I've spoken with residents to live in that community. They can't really have guests over because the smell is so bad over the summer, they can't open their windows. I interviewed residents that you look at a playground on the block is empty most of the time because parents don't let their kids come out. There's a daycare right near, like three hundred feet near that plant. The kids are not allowed outside. There's elementary schools nearby. Kids don't go out for recess, and they're really I mean, I'm not shocked because this is America. But the really horrible thing is the city has known about this for years, The state has known about this for years, and they basically blew off the residents who were begging for health studies, data.
Speaker 5: Something to be done.
Speaker 13: Because this plant employs six hundred and fifty people.
Speaker 5: You know, donates to.
Speaker 13: The colleges, the nonprofits. I mean, you know, this is neoliberalism. And most of our factory jobs have been sent to other countries. So a lot of these cities are starving for employers and basically let these employers in many ways poison the community.
Speaker 5: But it's severely high.
Speaker 13: Rates of asthma, COPD, cancer And also in twenty fifteen, there was one nine hundred fifty black infants under the age of one who died in this neighborhood. And then mysteriously they took the data off the website, so we don't know what the data is since then. That was five That was five times higher for black infant death than white infants in Kalamazoo.
Speaker 1: Wow, unbelievable, and you can bat if something like this was placed. I mean, it just wouldn't even happen that it was placed in a predominantly white, affluent, suburban neighborhood. I mean, there's no way that they would let, you know, people who are considered worthy by the state be and have more political power be poisoned year after year in this way.
Speaker 7: I mean, one thing I was wondering. You know, the area I grew up.
Speaker 1: In, there was a paper mill that we would drive by sometimes it always smelled bad. Actually, Kyle and I on our honeymoon drove by one and I immediately like recognize the smell as like that must be a paper mill. Sure enough, it was like, is this just what happens when paper mills are set up? Is this plant particularly egregious?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 1: You know, the level of constant that goes beyond just an odor and creates obviously health complications As you're tracking here, give us some sense of that piece.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean the Devil's advocate will say, Jordan, there's paper mills all over the country and all of them smell. That is true, because a lot of what they're releasing are smelly odors. Just because its smells doesn't necessarily equal health hazard. Problem with this the problem with this plant in particular, By the way, the net worth of graphic packaging is seven point eight billion dollars. They're not using carbon filters, I've learned at this plant, which is stunning. They're releasing over thirty types of volatile organic compounds, and they expanded in twenty twenty two with the help of Governor Whitmer, who knew and her administration knew of the complaints and the data, so they are releasing way more of these gases as of the last two three years, so it's gotten a lot worse.
Speaker 1: So they could admit gate the health impacts, but they choose not to correct.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I mean the state health department.
Speaker 13: The environmental departments say they have, you know, air sensors up, which is similar to what we're told by the Epaight East Palestine. But I talked to residents and they say those air sensors that are supposed to be around the plant, half the time they're malfunctioning or taken down. So it's really questionable how thorough the testing has been.
Speaker 5: This health study that.
Speaker 13: Came out, it's good that finally we know at least the hydrogen sulfide levels, but it did not test for other volatile organic compounds that independent testing from a toxicologist had found, including carbon disulfide, carbon carbonyl sulfide, methylene chloride, a whole batch of potentially hazardous volatile organic compounds. So this plant in particular is basically just skating regulations because the state is allowing it to because it's more expensive, you know, to follow regulations. You have to spend more money to mitigate the release. And yeah, I mean you said it right. Most of these, most of these kind of plants, whether it's a paper mill, when you have mining, fracking, auto there are chemical plants. They're usually dumped in predominantly poor black, brown, now poor white communities. Obviously Native American reservations with this. Now that the white part of town, since the plant expanded and is emitting more gases, now the white part of town is complaining. So it'll be interesting to see if more affluent white people start complaining, maybe.
Speaker 5: Something will be done.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate the way that you stay on top of these stories. I mean, you've been dogged and continuing to focus on, you know, the poisoning of Flint and you know, the lack of any accountability there and the lack of really even fixing the problem in Flint, you know, on the ground and East Palestine. You've you've really put a spotlight on these issues. And I think it's so vital because it shows you really the shocking treatment of you know, people who are considered less worthy. The American you know, underclass is considered by elitesa here in DC and around the country. So Jordan, thank you so much for your work and thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 13: Thank you and please subscribe to status kop on YouTube if you can.
Speaker 8: Modern medicine helping us live longer and healthier, we go.
Speaker 12: Be helped us lose weight and keep it off.
Speaker 8: Or is there maybe a darker, more sinister jim, perhaps a longer but sicker life. Big pharma, big food, the mainstream media, medical different the government.
Speaker 9: Across the United States.
Speaker 8: I think that just about covers all the main culprits. Yes, is big pharma, big food, the mainstream media, medical professionals, and the government acting in concert dispute propaganda in an effort to make us all sick. Let's go back to January first. It's typically the day where many people, at least for a few days, muster up the strength to hit the gym, make a meal plan, get better sleep, to say that this is the year I'm finally going to get healthy.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 8: Curiously, that same evening, CBS sixty Minutes airs a segment about the obesity epidemic ravaging the United States.
Speaker 14: Doctor Fatima Cody Stanford, an obesity doctor at mass General Hospital, an associate professor at Harvard Medical School says common beliefs about obesity are all wrong.
Speaker 7: It's a brain disease.
Speaker 15: It is.
Speaker 7: It's a brain disease.
Speaker 15: The number one cause of obesity is genetics. That means if you are born to parents that have obesity, you have a fifty to eighty five percent likelihood of having the disease yourself, even with optimal diet, exercise, sleep management, stress management.
Speaker 8: Okay, this face Leslie Stall's face? Is that not the look of I don't know about that man. But regardless, if obesity is in fact a genetic disease and nothing we do eating, riot, exercising, sleeping while does anything to help, the only logical conclusion we can draw is that the solution can only be medication.
Speaker 14: The drug WGOVI that you inject yourself once a week with something like an EpiPen.
Speaker 8: What the medication does.
Speaker 14: It's part of a new generation of medications that brings about an impressive average loss of fifteen to twenty two percent of a person's weight, and it helps keep it off.
Speaker 8: So the message from the mainstream media is pretty simple. Obesity is a disease. Take a drug, But is that the whole story. Let's start by taking a look at this chart data from the CDC showing the obesity rates of American adults, which was virtually nonexistent in the nineteen fifties, is now projected to hit fifty percent by twenty thirty. Get that half of Americans who will be obese in just a few years time. Now, You and I, we may not be a wealth credential doctor like doctor Fatima Cody Stanford of CBS Fame. I don't work at General Mass, I don't teach at Harvard Med. But it's odd, though, because unless the human race experienced some kind of quantum leap in genetics, there must be something else we're doing that is destroying our metabolic health. Kelly Means is a former pharma consultant and co founder of a company that promotes food as medicine. Recently, he spoke to our very own Crystal Ball and Sager and Jetty, and he offered this perspective.
Speaker 16: I believe our food system is rigged, and our healthcare system stands by iprofits from that.
Speaker 8: Yes, let's first start by examining our food system. The average child is eating one hundred times more sugar than they did one hundred years ago. Researchers say sugar is basically as addictive or even more addictive than cocaine. Sugar activates the opiate receptors in our brain and affects the reward center. Every time we eat sweets, we are reinforcing those nearer pathways, causing the brain to become increasingly hardwired to crave sugar, building up atolane like any other drug. Now, some of you out there are probably saying, I have really good self control. I don't drink soda, I don't eat candy, airgo, I don't have a sugar problem. But oh yes, you just might. Are you a fan of barbecue? A quarter cup of barbecue sauce has on average sixteen to twenty grams of added sugar. What about salad? That's healthy? Right? Well, oftentimes light salad dressings replace fat with sugar. For example, two tablespoons of this light honey wrench dressing has eleven grams of added sugar. You think you're getting your day started off right with multi grain cereal. Although it may not have bright colors, chocolates or marshmallows, many popular brands of multi grain cereal have between six to fourteen grams of added sugar per cup. Think about it. If you are a food industry executive, bonus is on the line shareholders demanding astronomical growth quarter after quarter. What do you do to get a leg up on your competitor. Well, you add sugar to your products to make them more addictive, so people buy yours and not your competitors, and then they try to one up you, and all of a sudden, sugar is everywhere. But it's not just sugar.
Speaker 16: You know the foundation of our diet. And it's really taking me a while to even understand this. We know our diets bad, but the foundation is added sugar. It's processed grains, and processed grains didn't exist until a hundred years ago. The processing totally changes. It takes the fiber off fiber.
Speaker 8: What is fiber, Well, it's a type of carbohydrate that is found in plant based foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. According to the Male Clinic, eating a high fiber diet helps you maintain a healthy weight and lowers your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and even some types of cancer. But for some reason, fiber has almost completely disappeared in a lot of our most popular food products. Products you might buy thinking it's full of fiber, cream of wheat, cereal, it's got the image of a wheat stalk right across the top, but if you go to the nutrition label, it's got almost no fiber. Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice. Somehow it's got whole grains, but if you go to the nutrition label, little to no fiber. Nature's harvests white made with whole grain. Once again, whole grain all over the packaging, but little to no fiber. So while many of us have been told over and over again about the benefits of eating fiber, sometimes known as nature superfood, almost nobody is getting their daily dose of dietary fiber. According to the NIH, only five percent of people in the US meet the Institute of Medicines recommended daily target of twenty five grams for women and thirty eight grams for men. Why because the food industry isn't incentivized to make food healthy, it's incentivized to make food addictive. Many of these ultra processed foods are almost pre chewed for us. They melt in your mouth immediately. There's no protein, there's no water, there's no fiber. Slowing them down. It's going to hit your taste buds and light up your reward and motivation centers of the brain immediately. Then there's a secondary hit of dopamine when it gets absorbed into the body. My goodness. Over the last half century, the R and D divisions in these food companies have morphed into narcotics laboratories. They've found a way to hack our brains and make a killing, both figuratively and literally. I mean, because of all the food that we've been eating, some of it criminally missmas marketed. Half of the country is now sick and guess who gets to play hero.
Speaker 5: Com Inside effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, stomach pain, headache, tiredness, upset, stomach dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu and heartbreak.
Speaker 8: That's right. The healthcare system that includes healthcare services, pharma services, payers, manufacturers, and providers. According to market research done by Mackenzie and Company, profits across the entire healthcare industry are projected to skyrocket from five hundred and fifty eight billion dollars a year in twenty twenty one to almost seven hundred billion by twenty twenty five. Now, that's a lot of money, but according to Cali means it's not the money that's necessarily the problem. It's the incentive structure.
Speaker 16: The problem with healthcare is that ninety five percent of costs are interventions on people that are sick. That's how healthcare.
Speaker 5: Works right now.
Speaker 16: Every single institution is incentivized for more Americans to be sircar for a longer periods of time. I don't think there are that many evil people in the system, but that's exactly what's happening. It's in if speak, it's larger than any one person, so.
Speaker 8: Not any different than the military industrial complex's willingness to trade human lives for profit. The seven hundred billion dollar healthcare industry is wholly predicated on large swaths of the population being sick. Remember the CBS sixty minute segment on obesity, where doctor Stanford claimed on national television that obesity is a genetic brain disease. Turns out, in the thirteen minute segment on weight loss drug Wigov, the only medical experts interviewed by CBS were doctors who had received thousands of dollars in consulting fees in onaria from Novo Nordis, the maker of Wigov and Ozempic, and the sponsor of that broadcast. Doctor Cody Stanford herself received over fifteen thousand dollars from Novo Nordisk in twenty twenty one, the most recent year for which data is available. So it's not an accident that not one medical professional in the sixty minute Segum mentioned the concerning finding that for Ozepic and Wagov patients a third of weight loss came from muscle, bone, mass, and lean tissue. It's also not an accident that not one nutritionist was interviewed about food, and no one questioned the impact of the plethora of food products that are marketed, sold and eaten by consumers in the US but banned in most other modern industrialized nations. It's not an accident that the program never disclosed that Novo Nordisk, together with Eli Lilly, have at least twelve more obesity medications in development, and that the two companies are spending roughly ten million dollars annually on lobbying. A primary focus of that lobbying is the proposed Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which has been introduced in congressional sessions annually since twenty twelve, and would require Medicare to cover, among other treatments, chronic weight management drugs. It is a perfectly executed game of forty chess. Let me explain. The food industry makes billions of dollars selling food that's known to be toxic and poisonous, making millions of Americans sick in the process. The health care industry, in this case, gets to play hero while also pocketing billions of dollars selling a supposed miracle drug to millions of adults and children. Both of these industries have worked out a little deal with the federal government Congress with lobbing money with funding for the FDA so that they can rewrite science and continue to sell food that is known to be toxic and poisonous. The Nutrition Coalition found that conflicts of interest on the twenty twenty Dietary Guideline Advisory Committee were pervasive. Ninety five percent of committee members had at least one conflict with the food or pharmaceutical industries. The most frequent and durable corporate connections were with Kellogg, Abbot, Craft, Mead, Johnson, General Mills, and Danit that sounds like quite the racket to me. But how is such a racket allowed to continue?
Speaker 16: There's a three part playbook. We went directly to the NAACP and the Hispanic Federation, very respected civil rights groups, and it was a quid pro qull Coke paid ten millions of dollars and they labeled the opponent's racist and that shuts down debate.
Speaker 8: And according to means the same playbook is being used again today. Novo Nordis is paying the NAACP to lobby on their behalf to say opponents of lifetime OBEs the injections such as ozempic and wagov are racist. The implication is that the lack of access to a drug such as ozembic is an example of quote unquote systemic racism and oppression. In addition, Novo Nordis has also funded articles in leading research journals advocating for the government to subsidize their drugs to address racism. That is quite the playbook. But is there a solution to all of this? Because I think it would be irresponsible to simply point out all of these problems without offering a solution.
Speaker 16: Now, there's a couple things that I think are absolute No brainers, and I think that the biparson issue of our time.
Speaker 8: The first solution, he said, would be for the FDA to revise the recommended added sugar for kids to zero. Right now, the FDA actually recommends up to fifty grams of added sugar per day based on a two thousand calorie diet means a second suggestion, the federal government should eliminate subsidies for unhealthy foods. Right now, more than half of SNAP benefits are taken by retailers for meat, sweetened beverages, prepared foods and desserts, cheese, salty snacks, candy, and sugar. Just twenty three point nine percent go for fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, beans, seeds, and spices.
Speaker 16: Let's reform food stamps again. That's a program that fifteen percent of Americans depend on for nutrition. Ten percent of it goes to sugar water. I don't think we should be paying tens of billions of dollar dollars to subsidize them for kids.
Speaker 8: But a last we all know the old adage you could lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. And what I mean by that is I'm only here to ask questions in form and connect the dock. So ask yourself this, all the technological advancements and public policy decisions of the last half century, have they contributed to promoting a longer and healthier life or a longer and sicker life. Thank you for watching the first installment of Breaking Points Beyond the Headlines. I hope you enjoyed it, discussion questions, feedback, Have at it in the comments section below. For more of me, please take a second to check out my YouTube channel fifty one forty nine with James Lee. The link will be in the description below. Thank you so much for watching, and thank you for supporting Breaking Points.