Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? You guys everyone listening, thank you for joining us. We are here, and are you a Charlotte With incredible Ran van Holt.
Speaker 2: I am so excited to.
Speaker 1: Have him here.
Speaker 3: I am so excited to be here. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's very pleasure.
Speaker 1: It's such a great episode. And plus I just love to see you.
Speaker 3: I love to see you too.
Speaker 4: I have such great memories of that period and that that moment in our lives and that whole experience, and you know a lot of it, you know, had to do with you, and you know you just you're one of a kind and you're so I'm just so.
Speaker 3: Happy to thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that time, because I remember that time as being that summer. It would have been two thousand, right or nineteen ninety nine. Are we still in nineteen.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine, We're in the nineties. We're dating.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I should say, but like I remember talking about nineteen ninety nine. This episode is called The Cast System and it aired on August eighth, nineteen ninety nine, so we had filmed it like in the spring you know, I think right like not too far in advance, and I remember like it was kind of a glorious year.
Speaker 3: It was the second It was a glorious year. And to be in New York in the nineties it was special in and of itself.
Speaker 4: And I was in my twenties and being in your twenties and in the nineties in New York City, you know, beginning and trying to make it as an actor as an artist was an incredible an incredible time to be alive.
Speaker 3: I have the fondest, the best memories.
Speaker 4: I have. One of my favorite moments of my not just my career but my life was was that time in New York time.
Speaker 1: Right, But we had no idea really, you know, I guess, which is always true. You don't really know what the time, how special it is, no, And I remember right in it right to my.
Speaker 4: Parents, my dad, you know, you know say that all the time or said that all the time.
Speaker 3: You just don't know.
Speaker 4: How how good we have it or had it until it's gone or just yeah, it just it's hard, you know, it's it was, yeah, it was, it was. It'sant looking back, it was, uh, you know, people don't get it the younger generation.
Speaker 3: I tried to.
Speaker 4: Explain to him, I mean, this is before green cell phones just came out. I didn't have I mean I probably just got a cell phone when we were shooting your little flip.
Speaker 2: I get it out as an episode to remember.
Speaker 3: I had, you know, we're going to jump all over the place.
Speaker 4: I had a page or so when I when I I didn't want to move move back to l A. I thought it was gonna be temporary. But I got a storage in it and in Manhattan because I thought it was going to come back, right, And when I went back to finally clean it out not that long ago, by the way.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm like, what do I still I'm still paying Manhattan or whatever?
Speaker 5: No way, and I got what the hell do I have in here? It was like I had, first of all two pages, those two pages.
Speaker 4: Poems that I had written and taken back from like ex girlfriends and like weird just stuff that notes journals and bad furniture.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 4: But the pagers, yeah, we were you know, it was a different time, meaning we didn't have social media, we didn't have cell phone. Cell phone cameras probably just came out, but it was more of an innocent free.
Speaker 1: So free you could kind of do anything you wanted and no one knew.
Speaker 3: I missed those days.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you what was going on, because this is the kind of thing we're like at the time.
Speaker 2: I remember being so excited that we got you.
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly, like we were in the middle of the season, and as you know, we would shoot really late, and you know, I was really tired, But I don't remember, like, what was going on in your career?
Speaker 2: How did did you go to auditions? Did we just call you?
Speaker 4: I'm so glad that she asked it, because I was trying to remember how that came about. Because the show, first of all, to be on your show was such a he was such a big deal.
Speaker 3: Everybody wanted to be on it. It is the second season.
Speaker 4: It just you know, obviously everybody knows what happened first season right out of the gates. It just as a juggernaut cultural like pioneering is very important in amazing show, and so it was very competitive within our I'm sure across the country, but especially in New York. It's a you know, this smaller group of just just a smaller group of actors and smaller business in general, but it was very competitive to be on your show, and it was a big deal get it to to be on And I think I had auditioned a couple of.
Speaker 3: Times for other parts, for other parts, and I think it was Carrie or who was the casting Kerry Marry, Billy Hopkins.
Speaker 4: Yes, good, Yeah, for other parts on the show or some other shows. But I you know, it was when I first moved, When I moved to New York, that's when I really started to work as an actor.
Speaker 3: I can get a job here.
Speaker 2: Amazing, that's so weird.
Speaker 3: And I know I had had to move to New York to make it.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe you just look too good because like a lot of the good looking actors were here in LA it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I.
Speaker 4: Definitely probably looked a little different or stood out a little different than the New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But so I had just I didn't really.
Speaker 4: I mean, I had just finished the film with Independent Film opposite, you know, Amanda Pete, and I had done a few gigs like Homicide.
Speaker 3: I did all the New York.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, amazing.
Speaker 1: I'd done Homicide was amazing, such a great show.
Speaker 4: I think that's part of that's that's I think that character in that role helped get me this job. I played the Andrew Kunan of Baltimore. Basically, I was a gay hustler killing rich gay men.
Speaker 3: I don't remember this.
Speaker 2: I've got to rewatch Homicide on the Street. Oh my gosh, Brian.
Speaker 4: Well, it's you're laughing too, because I've been so lucky and so fortunate to play these characters that have these incredible lines or dialogue, and then we'll talk about our phenomenon, which I still to this day I hear about it to this day.
Speaker 3: I had some great stories. I can't wait to share some stories with you.
Speaker 1: But you know, go ahead, go ahead whenever you want to stay.
Speaker 4: And we had so much to unpack. But so so anyway, yeah, I played that role helped. I think we sent them the VHS cassette real to the producer for your to your show. And I don't know if I got an offer, if I had to audition for this particular role, but I remember reading the script and and and and dying and going, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Do I really get to do this? Do I really get to play this guy? W forward? Yeah, which you know we can you probably know more about it than I do.
Speaker 1: But I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't do you. Did you guys have table reads back then?
Speaker 1: Yes, we had table reads. I don't remember our table read.
Speaker 3: Though we didn't have one. Okay, I mean the whole character and it's hysterical classic. We probably washed it up more than we actually talked.
Speaker 2: And the limits I'm sure we did. I have no doubt.
Speaker 1: My face was so redeek.
Speaker 3: That was so funny. Nice to meet you get.
Speaker 2: In the back of the limits, but it wasn't hard. It worked out.
Speaker 4: It was so kind by the way you were so gracious and welcoming, and to be honest, that was, you know, super nervous.
Speaker 3: Did you.
Speaker 2: I could not tell.
Speaker 1: I thought you were so perfectly cast because you were having to play a movie star, which is a very hard.
Speaker 3: Thing to do, perfect douchebag movie start.
Speaker 4: No, I am that's prevcate. It's not the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Speaker 2: That's not true. But you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: And this is what's funny about rewatching In my mind, right, I hadn't remember.
Speaker 2: The douchebag part.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Remember that I loved you and you were great.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed kissing you, and it was fun because it was a departure from Charlotte's normal storylines, right, and at that point she is kind of all over the place in certain ways that I also am sometimes like, oh my god, I'm doing this and I'm doing that. I don't remember, but I remember you very clearly because it was so much fun and I thought it was so great. And it's really weird to rewatch and see Number one, you are such a jerk in the end, your character of course not you.
Speaker 2: Like, but I don't remember.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh my god, I totally forgot this entire scene, That entire scene at the restaurant washed from my brain. Oh my god, just the happy art art scene and the car making and this.
Speaker 4: Gallery scene is hysterical, so great well written. I mean, yes, the whole episode in the show in general is it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's a good one.
Speaker 3: But I was, you know, yeah, I was really I was, you know, nervous.
Speaker 1: No, I just thought you were perfectly past because to me, you embody that kind of like really relaxed confidence. I mean, you're beautiful, obviously, you're tall and so good looking, but don't really.
Speaker 2: Know it and care.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, You've got that ease, you know, and like at that point, like when I look back on it, it seems almost like a Leonardo DiCaprio thing. But at the time in our minds, I think it was a George Clooney thing or a Brad Pitt thing.
Speaker 4: I think this is my character was loosely based on Leo and Toby in the.
Speaker 2: And Toby you can say anything you want.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if this is true. This is probably all rumored and hearsay, but pussy Posse you Oh, my character Wylie Ford was loosely based on the Pussy Posse Shenanigans.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I was told.
Speaker 2: Wow, they probably kept that from me so that I wouldn't judge it.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm glad they did. I'm glad they did. But you know, I just, you know, I'm like, this is great. I get to channel my inner douchebag, and I just kind of embraced it. And it was you know, not only you know, fulfilling, you know, creatively, but it was also very.
Speaker 3: Therapeutic, was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, because you know that part of the business, you know, I had to really, I still struggle with the bit, you know, and especially when I get it, yeah, and especially being young. And you know, that's half the reason why I left La to move to New York. I love La and I love California. I'm a California kid. Just a business in New York was more, I think, more suited for what I was trying to do. And so I have a very strong opinion and judgment about certain Hollywood things, you know, and right people, So yeah, and so I enjoyed trying to go how can I'd be as douchey as possible.
Speaker 3: Something that I don't really care for?
Speaker 2: Definitely, and who would care for that? I mean, it is so ick.
Speaker 1: And that's so funny to me that I didn't remember that part. But I think I didn't remember that part because you're so not that way, right, So, like that part was the scene that we.
Speaker 2: Did and we had to be hope Yeah that No, you weren't that way in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: You were a joy, you know, And so I just remember the positives because you know, as an actor, you remember the experience of filming more so than the finished product.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, exactly. You know, that's a good point. It's true. Yeah, but you know I did so.
Speaker 3: I did a lot of research for that, for that role, just to you know, how did that go? Did you learn new things?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: It came out with a few wounds. No, I know, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I mean you look, you could have been doing all that stuff if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, you could have.
Speaker 1: I remember, you were very devoted. You were very devoted boyfriend. It was adorable, meaning like at the time, you know, you were you were very much not like a player or all the things that you were that your part was.
Speaker 2: You were not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I respected that.
Speaker 2: It was impressive.
Speaker 3: Thank you, You're welcome. Yeah, I mean yeah, well if I weren't, I'm definitely a Charlene. I didn't Charlotte. I didn't remember that either. He's like, oh my god, he just keeps going.
Speaker 1: Me about my wrong name, and I'm just hanging in there and the other thing that I didn't remember. And then we'll get to the whole show. But like our storyline is, it's pretty funny. I have to say, he's pretty good and succinct, but so good, you know what I'm saying, Like so packed, Like when I call Carrie and she literally sits up in bed and says, get out of there right now.
Speaker 2: And I completely ignore her, like it is not even I'm just like blah blah, blah blah.
Speaker 3: And he's peeing in the alley.
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 3: He's taking a luke.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's not adorable.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's Charlotte, like if she taking drugs or like it's so interesting and that I had not even remembered that you blow pop smoke. And I at the same time was trying to navigate our business mostly in LA, because I do associate that kind of like weird behavior and kind of party vibe and all that with LA that was already sober, and I did have kind of similar experiences to this, where I'd be at.
Speaker 2: Like a dinner party set up with an actor.
Speaker 1: I could name, but I probably I don't know if I should, But like I think it had happened maybe the year before this.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it and I'm thinking, did I tell our writers this story?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Back then, like we would feel very paranoid, like if we talked to the writers that it might end up in the show, right, so true, we would try to be like, oh they're coming, be quiet, be quiet, if we were like talking to each other, you know, chairs.
Speaker 3: Right, that's a great point. It's exactly that does happen.
Speaker 2: It totally does happen.
Speaker 1: And because our writers were always trying to not write fictional things like someone I had to know someone or whatever, but usually it was their stories which gave us kind of the freedom to play them if they weren't our own, right. But like I had had an experience with a situation where I think a lawyer that I knew had said.
Speaker 2: Oh, should I just tell the story? I should just tell the story.
Speaker 1: So I had been set up by a really nice lawyer who I still know. He's not my lawyer, but he's a nice lawyer. And I've been set up with Matthew Perry. And this is like ninety eight, ninety nine, ninety seven. Maybe I feel like it was like between Melrose Place, which I did before the City, and.
Speaker 2: It was at a house, it was a dinner party. It was so low key. I thought.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, it's so low key, And I remember I had taken a bunch of roses from my garden with me, like it's so weird. But I was like, whatever.
Speaker 2: So I go to this dinner party.
Speaker 3: I bring my little flowers.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a bunch of Hollywood people. I don't even know who I was there other than this lawyer at Matthew.
Speaker 2: I feel like, have I met Matthew briefly? You know how you would meet everyone out and about.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't drinking or doing drugs, so I wasn't really cool, you know, ever, right, which was fine, you know, And I was like, I hope I can still succeed without doing all this stuff. And it was not clear in the nineties if you could do me I do. It was a lot going on, a lot, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: So I go to this dinner party. Matthew's lovely. He sits next to me.
Speaker 1: And he's talking about how thrilled he is, how happy they are on the set at Friends, and he was doing a film with Oh my god, my god, my god, it's gonna come to me in a minute. Amazing actress, still functioning, great, great, great woman, good job.
Speaker 2: She's out in the desert.
Speaker 1: Right. So, like he would film at Friends and then they'd put him in a car and drive them out to the desert and they'd film all night.
Speaker 2: Then he'd drive back. It was very hard, right.
Speaker 1: I think it's kind of how some of his problems got like really aggravated and exacerbated.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, he's so happy. And I had been around Melrose.
Speaker 1: And they it wasn't the happiest place in a way, you know, And it was like stressy. There were fifteen series regulars, you know, everyone had the feeling they might.
Speaker 2: Get cut or whatever. It was that competitive and stressy, you know.
Speaker 1: So I was like, Wow, that's amazing, you're so happy. So cut to after dinner and all the pot comes out. They start just passing the pot around and I'm like, oh, also me and pot. Very bad combination I had earlier found out before I was sober, Like I just get super paranoid and unhappy and time stops.
Speaker 2: Like it's a horrible, horrible experience.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, well, I number one, I was really into my riet at that point because you kind of had to be in the middle.
Speaker 3: I did not know that. Yeah, and that's I'm proud. That amazing. I'm so lucky I was sober for a while right as well. Not that's good.
Speaker 4: I thought it was the best thing I ever did. I'm no longer, so I have to be honest. So but you can be honest no longer. Well, I like to lot. Sorry, no, but I'm there's a lot of people in our industry that are sober and uh doing extremely uh well. And I was fortunate enough to be part of certain men's at that time with a lot of our.
Speaker 2: I've heard about these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never been to men group. There's one rule that you don't there's one rule.
Speaker 1: That I'm not going to work out, but I love to Whenever I do meet someone who has those experiences, I'm so happy because, as we're saying, in the nineties, it just seemed like to fit in and be foolish.
Speaker 3: It's so difficult.
Speaker 4: It's more, it's more acceptable now I know what you're what you're saying, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: It would have been extremely difficult.
Speaker 4: I couldn't have, you know, and I probably you know, tipped over to the you know, probably drank too much and had I really had a good time in New York, you know, which is great.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm glad, and I just think you don't know, you know, till you know that it's too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, yeah, I hope Uh wow, that's you know bold. I didn't know that, and you know, I'm glad you didn't say anything, because then I probably would have been so timid to uh, you know, do the thing fake smoke, right, and you know, you know, even though it was like just the Reagano flavored I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know what it was.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it wasn't real weed, that's no.
Speaker 2: It definitely was really no.
Speaker 1: But it was so like when I watched itself in that scene, it wasn't necessarily hard.
Speaker 2: I did feel also because obviously we also.
Speaker 1: Drink a lot, and that had been my main thing, right, And it became difficult later on because I remember at one point they put the four of us on the cover of like either Newsweek or Time, I don't remember which one. I don't know if we were holding our cosmos in the picture, and they said something like, you know, it's sex and the city responsible for the drinking problem with the young people or whatever, and I was like, oh, you know, to try to walk both lines that I was sober in life, but obviously were.
Speaker 3: You public the sobriety I was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know how how I don't know how open or out front. I would put it in the beginning because it seemed weird, you know, a little bit right, And I didn't obviously know that the show was going to go on so long and be the humongest thing and all.
Speaker 3: Didn't I take it to Miladies after? Didn't we go to Miladi's after the show? Because I.
Speaker 4: Don't remember that you didn't drink. I don't remember remember meeting a bunch of people. Wait, no, it's in Princeton's. It's not there anymore. It's the neighborhood bar.
Speaker 5: Got it.
Speaker 3: I've been a great pool table in jukebox.
Speaker 2: But how adorable, my Prince. I was trying, Oh, Prince and Sullivan, how great. I remember that area. I was always trying to find a way to be social.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were not. I remember you showed up hung out for it, and then you know, and then.
Speaker 2: I probably and also probably I was exhausted, and.
Speaker 3: You probably were.
Speaker 1: And I had a girlfriend, so I was probably trying to behave.
Speaker 3: I probably wasn't. So I.
Speaker 2: Feel like you were.
Speaker 1: I feel like you really really were. You talked so sweetly about her. I was very impressed. Two young, hot upcoming actors so loyal and adorable.
Speaker 2: It was very impressed.
Speaker 3: Oh it was the good old days.
Speaker 2: It was the good old days.
Speaker 1: But that moment when you do in that scene where you lean over and blow the pot in my face, when I'm watching myself, I have such an understanding that I'm pulling on these other exercises that it happened.
Speaker 3: Now I'm going to look at that, I'm going to watch that sceneing and I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Say just because it's not like it's horrible or anything, just like it's so familiar to the one.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, there's a lot going on, I know, I know. So I love about what we do. Those moments especially, like even though they're probably difficult. The first thing, you know, when I went to test, and I don't know who, if it was Carolyn or Chris or who, and I heard your podcast because there was there wasn't that many people in the room when you tested, but this was now HBO is a different monster, definitely, So there was like there were so many people.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, no, terrifying, but you.
Speaker 4: Know, and they were they were kind enough not to say anything prior to me actually auditioning and going through my thing, but afterwards they were going. You know, they all mentioned Wiley Ford and how much they loved the show.
Speaker 3: They loved that episode. It was super sweet.
Speaker 4: That's good that we loved you in Sects and the city and we're just so happy that you know that our pastor crossing again.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do think it's interesting, and I'm not objective obviously, but rewatching the show and we can.
Speaker 2: We'll rewatch technically in a second. Everyone who's listening.
Speaker 1: You know, in my mind, like you started by saying, oh, is this thing that all the actors wanted, Like in my mind, it took till season three, till we were even like on the map, right, So it's super interesting for me to hear from people who were in New York and other actors like, oh, everyone wanted to be on that show was the thing, and it's gratifying, But like at the same time, when you're in it, you don't really know, you know what I'm saying. Like for us, we were still I remember times they say, like, you've got to get out there and get all the press we can get, like because issue didn't really have hits yet, right, because Sopranos was equal with us. We came on at the same time, and like we would just talk to anyone and everyone. Like I just found this really cute clip of an episode. I think it's the end of season two when we're on the rooftop.
Speaker 2: We haven't gotten to it yet, but I.
Speaker 1: Think entertainment tonight or e W, I don't know, entertainment.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: One of the you know, old fashioned entertainment shows comes to the set and Sarah talks to.
Speaker 2: Them at lank.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: On the street.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting.
Speaker 1: I just remember that we would just talk to anybody and we would have to explain the show. She would be like, it's four women, and Charlotte's the hopeful one, and Miranda she's you know, she's very smart and kind of cynical, and then there's Samantha and you know, she just embraces her sexuality, like she's explaining from the beginning. And this is second season, the end of second season, Like for us, mentally, we felt like we were still trying to crell that help, you know.
Speaker 2: But I think in some ways.
Speaker 1: That's great, right because you're in it and you're just committed and you're just like we gotta we gotta make it great.
Speaker 2: We got to get out there and sell it. You know what I'm saying that that vibe I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably it's good that you didn't recognize the power and the success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what I mean, yet caught up in that.
Speaker 2: We so weren't because we didn't. Yeah, it is and it took a while.
Speaker 1: And I remember now because it's obviously eight hundred million years later and we've done the other show, and we've done the movies, and we've done all these different things, and this other show is ending, which brings me back in my mind at the time that the first show ended, which of course could have been the ending for the whole thing. I never believed that because I'm me right, and we had talked about doing a film, which ended up happening many years later as Chris and I for self BREKD and I discussed on the on the pod.
Speaker 2: But it's so interesting to think about.
Speaker 1: I remember at the time that we ended the first show, we would go places as a group, award shows are press or whatever, and people would say.
Speaker 2: Like it's iconic, and we'd be like, stop, stop, stop, don't say that.
Speaker 1: But it was so weird to hear that, you know, because it's not like we were that old. The show hadn't been on that long like it was, you know, And now I look back on it and I'm like.
Speaker 3: They were right pioneering man, absolutely right. It's a big deal. It is, but it's only just now really syncing in.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's like really, yeah, I'm like, God, it helped shape our our generation and our culture and still do which is bire, I know, but you still have that kind of uh, that that impact and that outreach to even today. My wife, Oh, she's ten years younger, but she and her friends still they have the DVD.
Speaker 3: Now, I can't believe we have, don't you watch dvd? But she does have the whole in the page. Yes, yes, I remember, we still having. We're never getting rid of it, even though it streams everything.
Speaker 4: But but even you know, in in you know, in the kids, I say, kids and young adults today go back and watch it and our huge fans.
Speaker 2: And it's so amazing, do you know what any mean? Like, I just don't know how I lucked out so much, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Feel you and I and I and I'm very fortunate. I looked out to be do one.
Speaker 3: Episode, impactful episode.
Speaker 4: So that one episode led to a lot of good things in my life.
Speaker 1: I put you in a small, small group of people where maybe you had worked and whatnot and been known like to a small group, but hadn't necessarily like broken out right, meaning like we thought you were amazing, and then you were amazing. Like Timothy Elephant, you know, we were like his first job right.
Speaker 2: Still, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Got a great so the whole so HBO Timothy Elephant, I don't know up because David Milch and Deadwood, I was a huge fan. I was almost undead with well for Timoth, for Timothy's no.
Speaker 3: Way, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And I couldn't do it or you know, even test for it or whatever because I was filming a film basic or something like that and then for six months, and so I missed that opportunity, and the John from Cincinnati opportunity almost didn't come up because there was some resistance because of my I. They felt that I passed on and there's not a chance there was one of my favorite shows and one of the best shows of all time.
Speaker 2: Wow, So you had to convince them they hadn't.
Speaker 4: Threatened when I when I sidetrack again massive, I possessed.
Speaker 2: Right in my wheelhouse, go for it.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed with Deadwood and David Milts.
Speaker 4: She incredible, yes, even from you know NYPD Blue Too, which is network television, and I just I'm his biggest fan. I thought, you know, it's amazing that he's like, you know, I have to work with this man. And I'm you know, I'm so upset that Deadwood didn't work out whatever.
Speaker 3: And then I was reading the.
Speaker 4: Newspaper when we used to read newspapers.
Speaker 3: And there was the article about the cancelation of Deadwood, and I was so upset.
Speaker 4: And my girlfriend at the time ex girlfriend and girlfriend at the time, She's like, just keep reading.
Speaker 3: And they canceled the show.
Speaker 4: But he's working on a new show about a dysfunctional surfing family and.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's you know, it's sort of loose.
Speaker 4: The vehicle, the family that was used as the vehicle to tell the story wasn't about their family.
Speaker 3: I knew very I grew up.
Speaker 2: I know, you mean, it's an actual, real family.
Speaker 4: It's loosely, it's not it's it's inaccurate. Yes, okay, incredible. The son the person that I in a sense played it. It's just a small role and it's crazy.
Speaker 3: How this stuff works.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a professional surfer, way better than I was. But you know, I'd surfer with him a few times. Knew the family very like, you know.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. But they didn't want to see me. They didn't know you.
Speaker 2: Had to push your way in. Well, good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they said no.
Speaker 4: My agents really at the time they were like, what they don't they don't want to see you, dude, I don't know something. If you don't get me an appointment or you know, an audition time, I will go there in person. I will break that door down and see I'm doing this. I'm not taking no for an answer.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm not that person. Yeah, but when I get, when I get, you know, when that was your show.
Speaker 2: You needed that that show. I mean, I do believe in that I was abassin, Like.
Speaker 1: Your part is your part, you know, but sometimes you do have to go through some obstacles to get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like, but I love Timothy Offense too. Yes, So as you.
Speaker 1: Were saying yes, like Timothy, you Dan Futterman, who's also motion, we haven't checked in with him.
Speaker 2: It's next week.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Like he's had such an interesting career that you know, he's a showrunner.
Speaker 3: Now I want to I'm gonna go look after. I want to look up dance. I know, I.
Speaker 2: Know he's behind the scenes, but he's incredible.
Speaker 1: But so many people I'm not even remembering everybody obviously, I'm just thinking of my guys right now.
Speaker 2: But I mean Tim wasn't my guy, but Tim Timothy.
Speaker 1: It was his first job, and he was so great. And that was our first season where it hadn't even been on the air, so no one knew anything about what we were doing. I remember he plays like Valley of the twenty something guys and he's talking about.
Speaker 2: His dream with his hands, and.
Speaker 3: I forgot yeh, he made that all up. I forgot that.
Speaker 2: Ye yep, yep.
Speaker 1: But I mean there's a hand all of you that I feel like, you know, our guys I think had great Our casting directors and our producers had great taste and talent, you know, And it's so nice to be able to have young actors on because obviously that show was that show and with the and just like that, we were able to have a different group of young actors playing our kids and whatnot. Right, bizarre to say, but you know, it's a fun thing to be in the business and be able to be part of that. Like I love that part of our business, finding talent, being able to support talent, discover talent, show tent.
Speaker 2: To the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, create a safe environment for them.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you definitely created a great environment to create. But I got to show this story. I don't know if you remember this too. This is another and they think this helped me get this next game. It was just a crazy week in my life. So this is while we're shooting our episode I Less Moonvez the head of CBS. The auditions are for so funny. The difference between going from doing your show playing Wiley Ford, uh, you know, the douchey douchebag of all the actors, to then sort of testing to being a character is testing for a sitcom loving money, which was like Susie Kurtz, David auguy Steis.
Speaker 3: There was like Rob Long and Dance David. It was the showrunners. It was like Judy Greer, Paget Brewster.
Speaker 4: I replaced my friend who wasn't my friend at the time. But I became friends with dash My Hawk, one of my favorite persons on the Slant, and they were it sucks because they wanted to replace him in the pilot and last minute I'm in the you know, lets wanted to I had whatever audition fortant that goes Less wants to meet you test and he's in New York for this.
Speaker 3: You in New York right now is going to fly back tonight like I'm filming. I'm working on I'm working on Sex and the City.
Speaker 2: You were hot, you were a hot commodity. I remember.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that didn't hurt. But you guys good.
Speaker 4: There was a you guys let me run up town to meet with Less, and you and I talked. I think you took a we're supposed to shoot all our stuff and it's changed up scenes so you could let me go, Yeah, go to go meet with Less. I remember taking the train up up to like where was CBS at the time, like sixty days uptown on the West Side, right.
Speaker 2: In one of the big buildings, like a big high rise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sweating. I went from wiley Ford to Amon McBride and hauld Ass back down to Soho or yeah, and uh and just you know, barely making it a time. And I remember you guys are being so kind to let me.
Speaker 3: And I got the gig, yay.
Speaker 1: I do remember talking about that, and I remember because I think Amanda was on another film, and so it was a big you were trying to decide, like, because those are decisions, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Was you have a great memory.
Speaker 4: It was she booked the show TV show, uh, Jack and Jill, Yes, oh my god, yes, she was moving to Los Angeles, right, and the she.
Speaker 2: I think she was on a film with Bruce wa.
Speaker 3: The whole nine yards, yes.
Speaker 1: Right, And all these things were happening at once for both of you, and I remember you just saying like this and that and trying to make the decisions and where was she going to be?
Speaker 4: And what?
Speaker 1: Yeah you do?
Speaker 2: And I thought it was so sweet.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny. And I did not want to I did not want to leave New York. I always thought I would right come back. I thought you thought that the TV show it was temporary, as they mostly mostly are. Yeah, unfortunately, yeah, right, And so I was That's why I kept my I kept my apartment. I gave my sub least to sublet it to my buddy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was you know, I didn't want to I didn't want to leave. I didn't want you know.
Speaker 4: I thought I was gonna always come back. And part of the reason was, you know, you know that wasn't really looking to do uh sitcom right.
Speaker 2: Because back then there was a big separation.
Speaker 4: But the actors, I'm glad I did the writing on this. That show that I did was it was was incredible.
Speaker 3: And the actors and the talent.
Speaker 4: That's another show I was like way in over my head with you know, Brian.
Speaker 3: Doyle Murray played my dad.
Speaker 2: He's amazing.
Speaker 1: But that was that was a great It's a great I love to hear about what actors are kind of going through or went through, or the different choices that you have to make, because it does it's not easy, you know. And I feel like obviously getting parts at all is not easy, right They all know this technically, But then also you have to make these decisions and figure things out, and you never really know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: There's so much unknown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you think you know it's going to happen, you know, just when it gets dangerous making assumptions and like yes, I'm going to spend this money because I'm going to be working forever.
Speaker 3: And I know on Cougartown, which I was, it was like the Lewis was to watch.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it was fun to do what a great but that was another fun time. We got a lot of stories about that. I'm sure, but I remember I wasn't Josh and I would do these cleanses and not be able to you know, just to you know, stay healthy and cut off drinking. And we do the Master cleans of all things too.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember the days and everyone did the Master didn't you see back?
Speaker 2: Who's coming soon? She could tell you some Master cleans stories. It was the thing.
Speaker 1: It was the thing.
Speaker 3: It was hard.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do that.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: We had bets, but it was impossible on our set because we would there would we would call.
Speaker 3: It the red tea. Yes, we would drink. We'd put red wine in a cup.
Speaker 4: And put a little tea string outside so it looked like you're drinking tea. It was really red wine. We were all wine. I was on the show that was That wasn't a thing like you were saying. Bill Lawrence would take stuff in our real life and put it in the show, and the wine things started pretty early on. We go along so well, we got to lunch on wine Wednesdays, and wow, we all liked our one good thing.
Speaker 2: I wasn't on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I was.
Speaker 4: I know, I know that I thought about that. You were sharing with me about your sobriety. I was like, ah, thank.
Speaker 2: God, because I would have really not fit in.
Speaker 3: You would have fit in. I would have made I know, pretty much that whole cast.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it would have been okay, but I would have been in my trailer.
Speaker 1: Okay, you guys, it's too much fun. You're talking to Brian ben Holt. We're going to come back for part two. Please join us later in the week.