Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yew Hey this Roy Chang. The Daily Show is off this week, but don't worry. We put together some of our favorite moments from the show in case you miss them. We'll be back with brand new shows on September tenth. Until then, enjoyed today's episode what we did last week?
Speaker 1: I thought a very nice piece on the show about how Fox News wanted people to apologize for rushing to judgment on the Ferguson shooting Michael Brown, and so we had think quite cleverly drew an analogy to that, and they're rush to judgment on ben Ghazi. It was really quite droll. No, well, Fox never addressed our Benghazi point. It appears now they're asking for more than an apology.
Speaker 3: Pete Williams, who his credit, got that Boston Marathon terror reporting dead on and the mainstream media hailed him as a hero forgetting it right, which he did. Fox News got this case right, not just me. Sean Hannity had a lot of segments, plus O'Reilly had a lot of segments urging caution. Would the mainstream media ever hail them as heroes like we heard about Pete Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why doesn't Fox get as much credit as Who's Pete Williams? Anyway, the point is it wasn't the first time they got it right.
Speaker 3: I urged caution in the Do coverage and in the Trayvon Martin coverage, and now in this coverage.
Speaker 1: That's three times they got it right, three times in ten years. Those are solar eclipse numbers, people, which I think is why it's recommended you only watch Fox through a tiny pinhole poked in a piece of cardboard. You can't look directly at Fox. It will indelibly burn your soul. While of course the whole rush to judgment complaint is bullsh Fox is nothing but a rush to judgment in almost every situation. Okay, you're the caution and sober Reflection network. But my favorite part of the piece was after ten minutes of complaining that no one would ever thank them this.
Speaker 4: If you are waiting for the mainstream media to say not only that we were wrong in this racially charged case that resulted in so much violence in that town, and to credit Fox News for being right, You're gonna hold your breath.
Speaker 3: A long time and we don't care about them.
Speaker 1: Right, You don't care in the same way my mom doesn't care if I ever call Sure a call or not. I could just sit here and die. What the book is. The point is you were right, and that is newsworthy when Fox is right, and cause for celebration. So to honor that time you were right, we got you a fudgi the way, because you know I we think you're away of a network in that we've been chasing you our whole lives and just can't kill you. But that's not all Fox. In honor of this singular achievement of you being right, Liberal Hollywood has something they'd like to say to you. Hollywood.
Speaker 5: I'm George Lucas, and I'm here to assure you that I'm only going to make movies from now on that are blindly uncritical of America, like The Empire Strikes Back justifiably American Exceptionalism, Graffiti, Star Wars, The Reagan Missile Defense Version, and The Clinton Menace. Fox News, May you live long and prosper Wait. I didn't write that today.
Speaker 1: Sorry, But the truth is this Fox. We can send you all the congratulatory messages and praise we can muster, but it's really just going to pale and compare person to how your biggest fans feel about you, and so we had them tape some messages of congratulations as well. Take a look. One network is dransborn. We envisioned and reinvented the way news is gone. Fox is the dominant force in broadcast news today. We're the only network that's telling the truth right now. It's the only place you can feel good about your country.
Speaker 3: You might learn something as opposed to just having your worldview reinforced.
Speaker 1: We give you both sides. We give you all the stuff for simply better than the opposition. We keep kicking their ass every day. And the ratings number one, number one, number one.
Speaker 6: That's us probably the most powerful news agency in the world right now.
Speaker 1: We're certainly covering it this morning. Thank you Fox News. You guys, you're the best. Thank God for outlets like Fox News. Thank God for Fox News. Thank god Fox News is on it.
Speaker 6: Thank God, thank god, thank God, God blessed fox News.
Speaker 1: He clearly already has the great thing is I get it now? Your network launched in nineteen ninety six. You're eighteen years old. Just like every other eighteen year old, you have a massive ego and spend twenty four hours a day, jerking yourself all. My announcement of leaving did not go unnoticed. John Stewart's surprise announcement. Sixteen years as the host of The Daily Show. Now he's stepping aside.
Speaker 3: I don't think overall he's been a force for good because I think, especially in his later years, he got a little nasty, a buck the ball.
Speaker 1: A little nasty. Not a force for good. Okay, I can handle that, Megan in his later years, I am only fifty two. I got four to five productive years left, and then about ten to fifteen that are mostly and then I guess, you know, the last four or five angry confused years, or they're sometimes referred to the Fox News viewer demo years. You know what, I'm just kidding. It's all good. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.
Speaker 2: What he added to a political discourse was largely sarcasm, insults, and dishonest editing.
Speaker 4: You know, it's clearly selective editing of clips.
Speaker 3: I can speak personally to a lot of the attacks that were levied on me. Had no foothold in the facts.
Speaker 1: Why dishonest and no foothold in the facts.
Speaker 7: You have cast us pussons upon my.
Speaker 1: Honor, and I demand.
Speaker 7: Satisfaction. I challenge you Fox News to a lie off.
Speaker 1: Your distortions and lack of fact footholds against mine. To start us off here as fifty of yours in a six second mine tell you more where that came from. Only have a twenty two minute show. Actually, you just go to the website and you can produce each lie at your leisure. You see, something of a conventional wisdom about this show has taken hold on the right, a thought they've become so comfortable with that they don't feel the need to even offer evidence to support it. That we lie and distort things all the time to make them look bad. It's perhaps best summed up by this fella.
Speaker 5: Here, John Stewart has helped to polarize the country by poisoning the Republican brand.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, poisoning the Republican brand. You're talking about this brand right here?
Speaker 8: The College co ed Susan Fluke who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex.
Speaker 1: What does that make her? It makes her a slut? Right? If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery.
Speaker 5: It's Caucasians.
Speaker 6: Obama's entire economic program is reparations.
Speaker 5: Kujintawa was just going InGaN k.
Speaker 6: He is moving all around and shaking, and it's purely an act.
Speaker 1: This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. We poisoned that brand just out of curiosity. Let me ask you a question, and I mean this sincerely. How do you poison a cyanide factory? But see the little game that they play here is the only reason the Right looks bad is that these guys are un fair liars to us. By the way, that sentiment is brought to you by Arby's Arby's proof. John Stewart cannot destroy a brand by telling people what's in it pig ais and cheese, pig ais and cheese. My point is, we don't lie, we don't distort. We actually have a fellow who works in the building who uses every fiber of his being to prevent us from doing so.
Speaker 7: That moral bastard that John.
Speaker 1: What Actually my parents were married, so technically I'm not a bastard.
Speaker 7: Fine was a figure speech.
Speaker 1: The point is on the right, they're pretending that our truthfulness is what's really important to them, which ironically is not true. What matters to the right is discrediting anything that they believes harms their side. That's their prime directive, Captain Kirk. They stick with the prime directive. They don't just drop the protocol anytime they feel like humping a green girl in a unitard. Look, this mission drives their attack on all the institutions that form the foundation of the country they purport to love so dearly.
Speaker 6: Our big and very broken government got bigger and more broken.
Speaker 3: American students who are already suffering in a broken education system, teachers suggesting America is.
Speaker 1: Evil, America's election system broken.
Speaker 8: Science itself stains a little bit corrupt.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of agendas involved.
Speaker 1: Voter fraud is rampant. And what pray tell is wrong with these institutions, the.
Speaker 6: Liberal bias and anti americanism is infiltrating America's public schools.
Speaker 4: Are liberals ignoring science to push their agenda?
Speaker 8: The liberal left trying to destroy too many good things about our country.
Speaker 4: Sure, the cancer of liberalism that has America on her knees, on her.
Speaker 7: Knees king all of our liberal dead, all.
Speaker 1: Of them, each institution suffering from the same malady. Of liberalism and what can be done. This is their genius. They purport to want to fix things. But conservatives are not looking to make education more rigorous and informative, or science more empirical or verifiable, or voting more representative, or the government more efficient or effective. They just want all those things to reinforce their partisan, ideological, conservative viewpoint, because in their minds, the opposite of bad isn't good. The opposite of bad is conservative. The opposite of wrong isn't right. Well, okay, but you get my point. It's right wing. They judge solely on the level of conservative content in everything. It's their only litmus test. Even stupid if.
Speaker 3: You thought American Sniper's successment Hollywood was getting less liberal hmm, you didn't see the Oscars last night. The mega hat was snubbed on Sunday night at the Oscars.
Speaker 5: Oh Clonice would Yeah, he spoke up for the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: We don't like him so much. We're gonna make a point with that. Is Clinice with the problem with the American Sniper? Do you think because he was at the RNC talking to the chair probably cliniache what's been a conservative icon for years, Oscar's already awarded him with Best Director and Best Picture during that time. The left wing loons in Hollywood made the movie in the first place and nominated for Best Picture. Fine, Hollywood didn't get Best Picture of American Sniper, so it must hate America. No, they didn't even give Best.
Speaker 7: Picture to the Best Picture.
Speaker 1: The same thing. I mean, for God's sakes, if oscar nominations were based on liberal street cred, you get streamed on our tunes and it's available on Blue Ray. It's of excellent Saint Patrick's thy gift. And you know the saddest part of all this, Republicans conservatives are so relentless in their drive for ideological purity that those institutions they complain about continue to cave for the same reason. I guess that you always seem to end up going to the restaurant the four year old wants to go to Fine We're gonna get fribbles again.
Speaker 7: Just stop crying.
Speaker 1: Fifteen states have approved voter id laws in the absence of any meaningful evidence of voter fraud. An Oklahoma State House committee voted to ban ap history for not sugarcoating slavery enough. Abstinence has approved sex education, and scientific fact isn't reported now, it's debated. So let's just stop. Let's stop pretending that these concessions to the right will at any point state the beast.
Speaker 9: What do you make of Pope Francis, He's had some statements that to me sound kind of liberal. Has taken me aback.
Speaker 1: The Hope isn't conservative enough for these people, So let's just stop giving into them. Guys, take it from someone who's been watching what they do for a blessedly almost over sixteen years or so. They're chronically angry war for ideological purity, where every aspect of life becomes a two dimensional battle for America's soul. It ages you even watching. It is killing me. This was me at the start of tonight's show. And if you think that's a lie, I've got a fine video I want to show you. You know, I'm watching Fox News, which I'll continue to do now for another I don't know thirty six shows minus Today's Open and Well. We often poke fun with them for lying and sucking. They do care very deeply about certain issues like Benghazi or women's legs, or that time one of their female anchors didn't wear a dress now known as pants Gazi. The point is, after Fox Finish is caring about lots of other stuff, they eventually care very deeply about poverty.
Speaker 9: We haven't heard much about poverty from the Obama White House over the last four years.
Speaker 1: Virtually no emphasis on families.
Speaker 7: Why not focus on poverty?
Speaker 4: I remember five or six years ago President Omama making this one of his main talking points.
Speaker 1: I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Fix the structure of the African American family.
Speaker 1: Where did that go? And while the president has been addressing those issues his entire presidency. Good point. In fact, yesterday President Obama sat down for a seventy six minute discussion at Georgetown University in which he explained all sorts of things about personal responsibility and the debate between government assistants and person more responsibility as being a false choice, and families, et cetera.
Speaker 8: A free market is perfectly compatible with also US making investment in good public schools, public universities, investments in public parks. If we do those things, the values and the character that those kids are learning, they're less likely to get pregnant as teens, and less likely to engage in drugs and less likely to be involved in the criminal justice system. That is a reinforcement of the values and characters that we want. I am a black man who grew up without a father, and I know the cost that I paid for them, and I also know that I had the capacity to break that cycle.
Speaker 1: You know who else talked with his hands, Hitler, Sir. Fox finally got the substantive presidential discussion on poverty that they always wanted, including on stage the counterview from the head of the conservative American Enterprise Institute stage. I can't wait to see Fox's happiness and satisfaction. Fox News Alert, Fox News Front and center.
Speaker 3: President Obama taking time out today for one of his favorite topics, Fox News.
Speaker 6: President Obama accused Fox News of propagating harmful stereotypes about poor Americans.
Speaker 3: The President accused the media, in particular Fox News, of suggesting the poor are unwilling to work.
Speaker 1: Yep, just like college students. In the four hour commencement, Fox basically pays no attention until they hear their own names, it turns out, at one point in this at one point in this incredibly thoughtful and productive session on poverty, the President made the easily provable and decidedly true point that Fox News narrative is that poverty is not a function of economic condition, but of character.
Speaker 8: The effort to suggest that the poor are sponges, leeches, are or don't want to work or lazy. If you watch Fox News on a regular basis, it is a constant menu. They will find like folks who make me man, Yeah, I don't know where they find them, right, They're all like, I don't want to work, I just want a free Obama phone or.
Speaker 7: Whatever, and that becomes an entire narrative. Really yeah, really really really really yes, what's.
Speaker 1: With your tone of disgust and disappointment? Are you anchoring a news desk or did you just come home to find your dog at eating your cat's entire litter box? Rosscoe? Really, it sounds to me like the President has a remarkably firm grasp on your business model there, Fox, So why are you outraged?
Speaker 9: In my opinion, the president is spinning his own policy failures as the middle class shrinks and the poor are trapped in this system, so to speak, the president blames us, the honest messengers.
Speaker 1: The honest messengers. Martha, really, what what did you even did you even watch the program? What are you talking about Barney.
Speaker 9: We've looked at the food stamp program, not at the recipients. We haven't characterized the recipients. We've looked at the program. We're not saying that the recipients of food stamps are bad people or that they're lazy.
Speaker 1: That is such a rich buffet of bullet. I can't at the three course prefix. I'm sorry, prickfest for starters. Let's demonstrate foxes contempt for those in poverty in our first course of this meal and a mouse douche if you will.
Speaker 9: America's poor actually good luck.
Speaker 4: Just call them pennies from government heaven, the United States of entitlement, the nation of takers.
Speaker 9: Entitlement society.
Speaker 1: Scary. We have nothing against the poor. It's just that their rabbit is greed burst through America's.
Speaker 7: Chest like the monster and alien.
Speaker 1: But I'm sorry you were saying, you don't characterize the poorest, bad people or lazy while your entree is ready just as you asked for. It medium unfair.
Speaker 6: We have conditioned people to look to the government to be their answer for every problem they have and take zero responsibility.
Speaker 1: The moocher clash, subsidize freeload.
Speaker 8: Give me these goodies, give me a cell phone, pay my rent.
Speaker 1: Bailouts from cradle to grave, Nation of Moocher's three.
Speaker 7: Loaders in America, entitlement, mentality, and.
Speaker 4: Sitting on the couch eating bondbonds, people who sleep till noon.
Speaker 1: Sucking off you know, the nipple of the government. How removed from reality is Fox's perception of their own coverage on poverty. The main defender of your network's attitude towards those in poverty is the main offender. He does segments that would make Ebeneezer Scrooge go, hey, take it easy. These are people we're talking about. So for dessert tonight, we serve you baked a glass hole.
Speaker 9: The handout nation rolls on. We hand out seventy nine billion dollars every January to these so called poor people.
Speaker 1: You're not being mean to poor people. I am.
Speaker 9: I am being mean to poor people. Frankly, I am. Many poor families have homes with cable TV, cell phones, computers, you name it, much much more. N nine percent have a refrigerator, eighty one percent have a microwave. You're going to give us the emotional side of the story. People need fifteen dollars per hour to live on the's starving without it? Okay, I got that the image we have of poor people as starving and living in squalor really is not accurate. Many of them have things. What they lack is the richness of spirit.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you boy, what day is it today? Is it Christmas Day? Go up and buy all the gooses. Keep them out of those lazy boy hands. And if you see a boy on crutches, push him down. He's not crippled. He's crippled at heart. He lacks a richness of legsness.
Speaker 7: Are these delaying?
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 1: I don't real Are these honestly? Are these glaring contradictions a product of lack of self awareness or cynicism, or stupidity or evil? I don't know anymore, And I'm starting to lack a richness of What I don't understand is another journalist on another network leaping to defend something so clearly indefensible.
Speaker 4: What about this specific clip about Fox News calling poor people leeches, sponges and lazy?
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard that on Fox News?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I have not. Well, I guess it's time for our favorite game show. Did you even try to research this? All?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 7: The rules are simple.
Speaker 1: First, Joe Scarborough cites three words. He says he's never heard Fox News called poor people, and then we see how wrong he is. Today's words are lazy, sponges and leeches. Ready sitko.
Speaker 6: These programs do make people lazy, they get food stamps.
Speaker 9: It makes it easy for them to sponge off their girlfriends and spouses. So the more of the leeches that he can get to vote for him.
Speaker 1: And that's our game.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 6: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts