Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi. I'm Sienna Jacob.
Speaker 2: And I'm Leanna Holston.
Speaker 1: And Welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women.
Speaker 2: This podcast is a safe club for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Sola.
Speaker 1: I'm So Dumb?
Speaker 2: Like why Ain't so dumb? A movie based off a Twitter thread.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Warning there will be spoilers about this ooh old recent very recent film sterres full.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I guess we should hate content. Warning that we will be discussing sex trafficking and violence, sex violence and human suffering overall. Mm hmm. Yeah, I Sianna, had you did you? What did you know about this movie going into it?
Speaker 1: Actually, let's do our predictions because I think I talked about and then and then I'll tell you more. Okay, can we just get mine over with because I actually made it really long?
Speaker 2: Oh you sure did?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I see that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely so sorry?
Speaker 2: Hi Leanna, Hi, Hi Leanna.
Speaker 1: I'm about to watch Zola. I gotta admit I'm a bit nervous. We discussed this off Mic. I believe it was off Mic.
Speaker 2: It was that we.
Speaker 1: Both read the Twitter thread it was based on. When I read it, I thought the Twitter thread was horribly disturbing. You said it was funny. Yeah, I'm wondering if I read it in a different way. I can't remember it that well.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I remember some parts, but it's been a long time. But I'm hoping in movie form that they make it more lighthearted than what I recall. So I look forward to a crazy movie about I believe a woman meets another gal who's like, I can get you some quick cash, and then it ends up being a crazy, crazy journey. And this person who says she can make her some cash has like a lot, a lot going on, a lot going gosh, this is long. Okay, Well, I love you, goodbye. I will say I remember what was funny about it because the Zola, the writer is very funny about how she describes everything. Yeah, as you were going through, I was like, oh, right, this is whilrious.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I think I'd like to retract my statement that the Twitter thread was funny, it's both those because you're having seen the film, I think it's got both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she really described a crazy situation. I think that's why it got so much buzz is because she was like, holy.
Speaker 2: Shit, yeah and then every perfect it's true. Well, and Sienna, here is my prediction for the film, Sola, Hi, Sienna Leanna. I'm about to watch Sola.
Speaker 4: I have not seen the movie, but I have read the Twitter thread, so I anticipate ooh me, oh my, a tale full of twists and also turns.
Speaker 2: Honestly, my main hope is not to see any human suffering.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 2: I hope it's a wild ride and fun and there's a lot of glitter not you buy.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy is I think they actually cut out some of the some of the worst of it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I guess I might. My brain must have blocked that out.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. I Uh. There were some things that were like really graphic that they made that they like decided to put into like a more subtle movie form. Yeah, and for that, I am great.
Speaker 2: Dang dang. But they kept in a lot of stuff. They kept in some stuff that really disturbed me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, uh, before that, Hey girl, Hey girl girl, it is a heat wave in London.
Speaker 2: Woo, and we are not well.
Speaker 1: No, I hate the heat.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. It's not for me, and it's so so insane that it's only going to be this forever and worse until the earth blows up. So, but I just came from something called the Taste of London.
Speaker 1: Do you like if you've ever been to.
Speaker 2: Taste of Washington, Taste of Seattle? I have that.
Speaker 1: Bin, but I've been to things similar to it. It's like it's like a bunch of restaurants have yes, yes, so fun. Okay, tell me about it, all of the best things.
Speaker 2: I got a ticket for free through work. Thank you work. Oh, because the actual guy who works in actual marketing couldn't actually go, and I'm the personality higher so they were like, well send her, I guess yeah. So I went with the marketing Gerlina, and it was so fun. We both had a hard out that we almost adhered to, and so we had to just speed through the festival and get every free sample we could along the way. So my body right now is like a little nibble of guacamole and three chips and one free taco and some free tater tots, and then several several little cups with a few SIPs of wine in it. So I wouldn't say I'm buzzed, but I would say something has occurred, right, Yeah, And that coupled with the heat, I was like, I felt like I was blackout when I was texting you that I was almost ready to start recording.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the heat'll do crazy things to you.
Speaker 2: Nothing, I feel loopy. I also am understanding. I've been watching Love Island UK. The new season started last week, and it's been a little bit sexless so far. Not entirely, but a little bit. And it's because of climate change. It's too hot those in that bedroom for anybody to want to do anything. And I get it.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, it's coming for us all, It's coming for everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, horny capitalists, beware, you're not gonna wanna with climate change. So maybe that'll make you do something about it.
Speaker 1: Dang. Anyway, Hey girl, hey girl, my parents were just in town.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god. Did you watch this with them? No? No, surely not, Okay, this I chose.
Speaker 1: Not to watch with them. You know. I'm having sort of the opposite experience. Yesterday, I finally started watching the show Overcompensating because everybody wants.
Speaker 2: Me to watch yep, watched it this past weekend. Really, yes, we can discuss we could do an episode on over so I could do a monthly toss on it.
Speaker 1: I've been really enjoying it, but it is very sex full. I feel like, or they're just talking, they like say, they say sex.
Speaker 2: Words, borderline sex acts, very.
Speaker 1: Very sexual language all the time, which it's like really funny. But I just feel like, after watching this and then Zola, I'm like, wow, my brain is just full of penises.
Speaker 2: Yes, I understand, and I don't want it to be that way.
Speaker 1: It just it's just I'm sorry everybody, but this is this is the content that we've been consuming. Yeah, but the reason I was watching this is because people have been a few of my friends have wanted me to watch it. I'm usually like busy in the evenings, and I uh, I had a doctor's appointment at ten forty five, so I'm like, I have things to do today, but I'm going to start them after this this virtual doctor's appointment. So I'm just gonna give myself a chill morning where I like watch a couple episodes of this thing, which was a delight. But then I told you I had a very awkward, embarrassing, just personally in my own soul kind of mourning that can only happen in the virtual age where.
Speaker 2: I was like the telehealth era, the telehealth era.
Speaker 1: So it's it's ten forty five. I go great, I get online. The way that I get my meds is through a straight service that like, is this doctor thing that I had with my old insurance and then my current insurance has transferred over. Okay, but I'm always waiting for it to break. I'm like, there's no way this is working. Yeah, it has worked, and I just have to call my psychiatrist like every three months tell her the mens are still working, and she just sends me a new thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the thing about the site is I can't email her directly. I have to make an appointment and show up, like I can't contact her directly. It's weird. So I get there, I cannot hear her. She is like moving her mouth and I'm like, oh sorry, I can't hear one second. And then you do the thing you do the little dance where you cleick around and You're like, I don't I'm not an it spellist. I don't know what's gonna happen on here. I know a bit about sound because of us, so I can I know which parts of the system preferences to go to.
Speaker 2: I know what icon means sound exactly.
Speaker 1: As a sound professional, and icon means volume.
Speaker 2: And did you know when I was looking at flats in London, you have to like list your job title, and I said audio engineer.
Speaker 1: Love, but you are you sure?
Speaker 2: Sure? Okay? So you're clicking around?
Speaker 1: I just I just I was feeling. So I'm like, like cosmically humiliated as I click around and just go. You know, it's like we both know that I don't know what I'm doing. There's no if you turn on you've already clicked all your sound on and you've turned on a video call and there's no sound. What are you to do? It's terrifying. So I tried hanging up and calling back, and then I was like, maybe if I moved to Chrome because by the way, I don't know if there's sun setting Safari or something, but a lot of websites are no longer working with safaris.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, So I'm like, maybe go to Kari is over.
Speaker 1: You got it here.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: I tested things out so much, kept trying to click off and like refresh and stuff that finally my window to gain my appointment just closed. It was like six minutes or something, and I couldn't she was gone. There's no longer way for me to contact her either. I couldn't like message her and be like sorry, can we research?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So we just had to schedule another appointment for next week and I have to cross my hell. I have enough meds until then, only because I forgot a few times to take them.
Speaker 2: Thank god. Wait, anyway, is Safari your default browser?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: Oh girl? I know.
Speaker 1: You know why that is is because I used Chrome in college and it would just suck the energy right out my computer.
Speaker 2: What I found Chrome taby how many tabs?
Speaker 1: Millions?
Speaker 2: Millions? I mean as many tabs as there were hippos in ancient Egypt.
Speaker 1: I mean like truly as many as possible.
Speaker 2: That's just but are you doing that with Safari as well? And it's okay? Yeah, wow, I from one Safari.
Speaker 1: I That's what I noticed at least in college. But yeah, I need to make it out. Yeah, it's no good. It's no good.
Speaker 2: It issues are so stupid. Today during our company all hands, I was giving my stupid presentation about this stupid thing on my stupid slide, and I lifted up my laptop to show everybody something. And then people on the call were like, oh, we can't hear you. Your mic is being weird, and I was just like okay, and I kept going, like, what am I supposed to do? It's a new laptop. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did they get you a work laptop or is it yours?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a work laptop. Awesome. I know. Yeah, it's pretty sick.
Speaker 1: Someday I wonder if i'll know the glory that is a work laptop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're this one is not cursed anymore. My old one was very cursed. It was a twenty nineteen behemoth of a MacBook Pro that clearly had ghosts, like clearly too many people had had it had seemed too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah totally.
Speaker 2: But this one's fresh and new, fresh, fresh, and speaking of keeping things fresh and clean, as opposed to maybe maybe your colleague who is messier, uh huh, Sienna, could you please give us a synopsis of the film Sola.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sola Sola, a waitress and sometimes dancer, is convinced by a fun, airheady girlipop named Stephanie to go on a trip to make some money stripping in Miami. However, the situation quickly becomes much sketchier than that, and it's pretty much a sloppily executed sex trafficking scheme. Yeah, and Sola spends the whole time stressed and appalled.
Speaker 2: Hm the end, honestly, yeah, it's like forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Everybody survives except for one person who except for one guy, but he wasn't the team.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think so it didn't. Things weren't looking good for him for sure. Yeah, I wasn't sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guess. I don't know. Anyway, things get insane. It's a story of ending up in a situation where you're like, oh, crap, I'm with the wrong people. Ooh, but Sola is such a mood.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I loved I loved her.
Speaker 1: I loved her.
Speaker 2: It really means she did and said I was like, yep, it's not the right thing. That is the right thing to do or say?
Speaker 1: Well, the hona should we talk about our phone notes about the movie Sola.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure how I felt about this film.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting because I came into it assuming it was going to be so disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was at the opposite I was like, oh, a romp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I ended up having actually quite a fun time because it was so much funnier than I was expecting. I was bracing myself for sort of like a gratuitous horror movie, yeah type of thing, and it was really like, I mean, definitely the subject matter is upsetting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Stephanie's like a sex worker basically, but she's not in a good situation. Her like her manager pimp guy, yeah, is not good, gives her no money, Like, she's just really it's just not a good situation. I was expecting all of that, and so then having Zola be in the background like oh funny.
Speaker 2: I for like, for my experience of the film was I was going tea he until I wasn't yeah, and then I wasn't in it.
Speaker 1: It's it's dark stuff, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There was a lot of human suffering, yeah, which I'd explicitly stated I was hoping wouldn't happen. Yeah, do you need to get away? From your weekend get away. You've got three minutes to dissociate. We'll be right back, Okay.
Speaker 1: Letter you've said, is that Coleman Domingo.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my god, I love him me too. I really love him. I love him so much, honestly, pretty much. Whatever he's in, he eyes, anything he's in.
Speaker 1: This is how again. I was feeling very stressed about this movie. Yeah m hmuse thought it was gonna be so and when I saw that he was playing X, I was like, Okay, this is gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: Truly, this is what made the casting. The casting is so smart, because I noted later unfortunately, because this is Coleman Domingo. I trust him implicitly. But it's like you have to cast somebody that everybody who is so beloved in order to make this at all watchable is so because otherwise it would just be a horrific interactions with this terrifying man. But then it's Coleman Domingo.
Speaker 1: I know he really. It made me feel so much safer.
Speaker 2: It really totally like, ohally.
Speaker 1: We're just telling a story and it's time and everyone's okay.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Because he is an actor and he is gay remember, he is gay, and a gay man has never treated women poorly. Not once in history does that happen.
Speaker 1: Leon said, O g the old Instagram UI.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, because it takes place in twenty fifteen. It's so wild seeing an old app user interface, yeah, and realizing, oh my god, that is what it used to look like and it doesn't anymore. That Oh my god, it's true, Sianna, you've noted. I literally cannot imagine being this strong and graceful.
Speaker 1: Every time. We have seen a couple of movies now, maybe just the other one where there are dancers, yeah, pole dancing. I'm trying to imagine. If there was another one where we saw, they probably were man movies and were disgusting, but.
Speaker 2: I think these are the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pole dancing is like so amazing. I m these movies have really made me go, oh, I get it.
Speaker 2: I completely put it.
Speaker 1: I completely get what's like. So you can't take your eyes off.
Speaker 2: Of see it's mesmerizing it is.
Speaker 1: She was so yeah, graceful and strong. It just looks so easy. I guess that's what's so mesmerizing about pole dancing is when people are really talented and they make it look so easy, even though you know it takes such intense strength.
Speaker 2: Effortless and also to make something really athletic also be sexy. Yes, is not a given.
Speaker 1: It is not a given at all.
Speaker 2: I knw that Taylor page at the end after the movie and learned that she is an actor and also professional dancer, and I said, oh, thank.
Speaker 1: God, Oh thank god, Oh thank thank god.
Speaker 2: Honestly thank god, because if this was just an actor who'd like picked up pole dancing along the way, I don't know that stresses me out, but that this is also her vocation, like dancing was a profession that she has done. Thank god. Yeah, because she was so good at it. And her body also was the best I've ever seen, the best body I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I wrote something down later where I was like, I'm so sorry to do this, but like her butt is.
Speaker 2: So it's exactly what it is supposed to be.
Speaker 1: And later one of the character is the guy who ends up robbing them or trying to Yeah.
Speaker 2: A stresses her fat ass.
Speaker 1: He literally said something like that is a special ass like it, and I was like, I've actually really thank you.
Speaker 2: For saying that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that is special. She's got something.
Speaker 2: About women directing films is like, it's not it does. It just doesn't feel like objectification. It feels like appreciation. It really does and respect.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna, you said, lmao, this dehydrated bitch?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? The scene where they show and this again is like only a woman is allowed to direct this a scene where the camera is over two toilet stalls and it shows how each of the women are peeing. I know, which also was so Joe, don't tell which I've been taught is what you're supposed to do in movies. So apparently that's good. Where Zola is squatting over the toilets because she wheres Stephanie's fully sat on it, and Zola's pe is such a light color of yellow, whereas Stephanie is such a dehydrated bitch. And I was like, what an evocative way to portray two different characters' personalities.
Speaker 1: It is so true, and like it's foreshadowing that one of them that Zola cares more about, that she's more careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, if.
Speaker 1: She could have just seen, if she could have just seen Stephanie pissing does not take care of herself. Yeah, yeah, this movie was not afraid to be gross in that way. They were like, you were not going to be aroused by this film. Yeah, that is something that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it a lot up top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you've said this is such an accurate portrayal of every white boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh what did you think of Nicholas Brown in this film?
Speaker 1: So funny in this he's so so talented at speaking a little bit wrong. When he goes into the window, he's like yo yo yo.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I laughed so much. When he calls her and he's like, I love you if you want any food, like you're trying to get food, or like like I can wait for you and we can get food. And it goes message not recorded.
Speaker 2: Message not recorded.
Speaker 1: That made me laugh out loud. I really laughed at this movie a number of times. And I think the laughter comes from the fact that you feel so stressed. And it's true, but it's like breaking up the stress.
Speaker 2: I think it's needed, It's very needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you said pole dancing can only be directed by a woman. I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, Leana, you said this is why I travel solo.
Speaker 2: No, you just never know. You never know if the friend you're traveling with is gonna accidentally loop you into a sex trafficking ring. Yeah, so travel solo. No, it's really more that thing of like you don't actually know how other people in your life live. You're not seeing them twenty four to seven in a way that you do when you travel together. Yes, I think it's good to keep a little bit of mystery. It's so true, like how you and I refuse to go on the same plane, and it's for the best. We're not gonna do that. We know we'd kill each other we did.
Speaker 1: I want Zola's energy, oh more of my life because I think if I had been I was like, what twenty three or something, when I was in this guy's like drag racing car and it was very short, it wasn't a long amout, but I was just like, oh my god, this person lives life so much differently than me. I do not feel safe. But if I was Sola, I would have been like, no, absolutely not stop right now.
Speaker 2: She has what I envy, which is knowing immediately how you feel about this thing, yes, and being able to voice that right away.
Speaker 1: Exactly because I was going I'm not sure if I feel slaved. I would feel most comfortable if this was just fine with me. I'm just gonna be silent and then go, okay, I'm just gonna slowly ghost you now. But uh yeah, she she was able to go like, no, uh uh huh uh.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like this. I don't like you. You're not handling this in a way that I respect.
Speaker 1: I'm not that girl. I know immediately that you are trying to put me in a situation where I'm not safe. I can tell you're not looking out for me, and for that reason, I am mad at you. Like you do your thing, but you cannot pull me into trafficking situation.
Speaker 2: When Stephanie was like, do you like how I look? And she goes no, oh my god, no.
Speaker 3: No, she.
Speaker 2: Because she determined that these are not people she wants to be associated with, so it no longer was a priority to like earn their respect or please them in any way, because you don't have to do that with people who are terrible to you. Yeah, in fact, you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Yeah, yeah, Leanna, I have to read this note of yours. You've said, being a man is so random. You see so much of the night.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that make you think that is there's so many hours of the twenty four hour cycle that people who are not men do not see because it would not be safe for us to just be wandering around. Yeah, but a man can just go wander at twelve thirty in the morning outside of a motel and it's like, yeah, whatever, now do I want to do that? No? I love being asleep. I love being asleep in my bed during those hours. But you're the but it is random.
Speaker 1: You're the one who gets to go there.
Speaker 2: You could just like be kind of wherever.
Speaker 1: Nobody would care.
Speaker 2: It's so strange. Yeah, it's very inconceivable.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you wrote I fuck with Jesus. You would you say you fuck with Jesus? Yeah? I would. Okay, Yeah that was so funny.
Speaker 2: I watch fun They do like a retelling of a me too from a different character's perspective and faster. That was fun and so funny.
Speaker 1: She was like, she was like, oh, like, uh, your your your your friend is like a promoter at a club, like I'll come dance, and I'm like, I don't even know what that is. Like it works. Also, Zola has like literal dirt in her hair or like twigs in her hair.
Speaker 2: She comes out wearing garbage bags. She made one dollar.
Speaker 1: She made one dollar, so mean.
Speaker 2: Everybody made eighteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Everybody really liked me, and she made one dollar, So I guess she's jealous of me.
Speaker 2: That's my self esteem is in a place where I'm like, I bet I would be the one making one Like if it was me and somebody else has the options, I'd be the one who got one dollar.
Speaker 1: How would anybody even at that point? How did you make any money? If you're only making one dollar? It's such a funny amount.
Speaker 2: One dollar is the meanest amount. The other day, I described my body type as a mid sized sedan.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: I think it's so funny.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I'm sort of mid size.
Speaker 2: Well, I would describe myself as a mid sized sedan. If you rented me from like a Hurtz, i'd be in the mid size sedan sections so funny, or an Alamo or National. You know we're a rental car company because I'm shaped like a waffle? What's that from? I'm just saying, I'm just saying, oh wow, did you just come up with that?
Speaker 1: Right? Now yes, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really funny.
Speaker 1: You can take it.
Speaker 2: I thought that was like a line that Donkey said in Shrek or something. No, Wow, petit Dejane because I'm shaped like a waffle there you go. Wow. I No, petit is no part of me. I'm a mid sized I'm like a Honda Civic Siana. Your final note is Unfortunately the rest of my notes are pretty much just me exclaiming things and saying, lol, I really do and it's true. Yeah they are.
Speaker 1: I forget what I'm commenting after that, but things really were making me laugh. Uh, except for when they were discussing in a horrible hole.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that.
Speaker 1: I really when I was upset in this movie, I was really screaming and I was saying, like you said, I was going, no, no, yeah, yes, Leanna you've said, OMG is such a portrayal of dissociation so real.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. When her the screen becomes just kind of like a Microsoft computer screensaver and their voices are muted in the background. Wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah this movie, I really, I really really think I like the way they portrayed everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is one of these times where watching a movie. I wyes, Oh, this being in movie form makes sense to me. They're doing things with the medium of a movie that they couldn't do with another medium.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Leanna, Hello, I had the same question, and I love how you asked it, and love and light to all and welcome to the community.
Speaker 2: You said, I know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 1: Who is this huge woman?
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a huge woman.
Speaker 1: He is uh And I remembered from I forgot that in the in the Twitter thread that his like girlfriend or wife shows up at some point. I loved her. She is this enormous woman who comes in and is like, I would kill for you, and she would, I know. And then she's like, I'm making a smoothe do you want bacon? And then when Nicholas Braun is like, I'm gonna kill myself.
Speaker 2: She goes do it, do it? That was really funny, this enormous woman. She just rocks up and you're like, hello, hell, and then she's just there yeah. Yeah. And then to that enormous woman.
Speaker 1: Leonna, your final note is that's the end.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that. I wanted to make sure that she got home safe.
Speaker 1: I would have loved that too, because I think this was like the end of the Twitter thread. But I wanted to see her get home, get cozy.
Speaker 2: You're so stressed the whole time. It's like I just want to make I just want this woman to get home and like shower and change.
Speaker 1: I would love to see her like in her bed, yeah, eating something.
Speaker 2: Just safe, Yeah, safe and sound, which I guess it's implied because like because she co wrote a film. Yeah, she's credited with making the movie, which is so yeah, she's okay. But I didn't like that as the like wrapping up of the story.
Speaker 1: I felt similar it was you're so on edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there wasn't any de new mole.
Speaker 1: Apparently there's a thing with like child children's education or like, uh, some of my friends teach, they're like kindergarten through second grade, and there's a thing with storytelling to children where like you use a lot of language about like characters getting cozy or comfy or like wrapping themselves up in blankets and like snuggling in because like there's something about that that age they really respond to, like characters feeling really safe. And I was like, this has now put me in a state of such distress. And childlike need that I also want to see. I want to see a little bear snuggle up into.
Speaker 2: It it's bed for a rest. Oh yeah, that's what I wanted. I wanted to get to just snuggle up.
Speaker 1: A frappuccino and like watch something.
Speaker 2: I needed her to have a shower, maybe because I want myself to have a shower. So hot.
Speaker 1: Did a stupid girl at a restaurant just to ask you to go on a work trip with her? I'm going to advise against it. Wait right there, we'll be back in three minutes. Don't go.
Speaker 2: Oh well, Sienna. I'll move on to badges and trages.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: This is our segment, Badges and Tradges, where we give badges for.
Speaker 1: But that are special, yes, and trag is for trafficking comma human.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's literally what they did to her.
Speaker 1: My first badge is for all the performances. Early on, I just felt so held by the fact that this was so well cast. Again Coleman do Bingo. H Taylor Page is so well cast in this. Oh yeah, I remember who plays Stephanie, but she was very funny.
Speaker 2: Oh Riley Keo, the granddaughter of Elvis Presley what mm hmm.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take all the time you need with that.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. What Anyway, I thought it was very well cast, so I'm like, Okay, at least we're gonna have a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes A badge for an incredible smize from Taylor. The phrase serving face has never been more applicable in a film than to Taylor Page in Zola, she is serving face. There were the whole time, there were a number.
Speaker 1: Of scenes where the only thing the scene was trying to tell you was that something crazy or gross was gonna was happening. And then they kind of pan over or like change the focus so you can see Taylor Page's face and she's just like ah mm hmmm, which is such an excellent storytelling badge for Oh the face she makes after that guy says you look like Whoopy Goldberg. That really made me laugh.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm also just gonna say, now, just exactly as you said, My next badge after that is Zola's faces are insane.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love her. A badge for Coleman Domingo's face while Stephanie and her wife boyfriend or making out in the motel. It makes a very like disgusted faith. It's very funny.
Speaker 1: Badge for revising some of the more disturbing scenes. There was at least one thing that I remember from the Twitter thread that like truly kept me up at night. It was so disturbing to me. And they replaced it with just like a much gentler sort of like verbal representation of sort of the same thing, like the same power trip that you're supposed to be that happens is displayed in a much gentler way that I think was better for the movie and just made me feel good that this movie wasn't trying to be completely gratuitous, because they could have done even more with Like if they wanted to just be gratuitous and show things that we couldn't normally see because it's based on real life, yeah they would have shown different stuff.
Speaker 2: But they were, Yeah, you know, there's a Quentin Tarantino telling of this story that like, yes, puts people into therapy totally.
Speaker 1: And I'm really glad they really were more thoughtful about what they wanted to show and I appreciated it so much.
Speaker 2: A badge for this prayer that that woman delivers the dancers praying in a circle at the club in Florida before they dance. Oh my god, that was that was funny.
Speaker 1: She was so good. That was so funny. He's got really made me laugh. That's when she was like having like a conniption. Oh yes, yep, yeah, Jesus was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Badge for when Coleman Domingo's like that guy could come back with a with a group of guys and and kill us all, blow all our heads off, and Zola goes what the way she said what? And that ended up being the situation, But like the way that she's just like, I'm sorry, what this life that you guys are implying can happens so far from my reality?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I am in such shock, and I find out to be a very relatable kind of feeling, even this year, specifically on a world.
Speaker 2: Scah Yeah yeah what Yeah. A badge for Zola says everything I wish I could to people who she does not respect or want to be affiliated.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I want to be just like her. Oh, I want to be just like her. I want to be just like her socially. My last one was badge for the at Stephanie thing surprised me so much and was so funny.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. Badge for Zola is a business woman, the way that she helps Stephanie out and she's like, well, no, you can be making so much more money. Let's do this the right way and in a way that actually makes sense and isn't set up by this stupid man who doesn't know what's going on. That was crazy when he's like, you think you can do your job, my job, better than me, and she's like yes in her head, yes, oh my god. My final badge is a badge for when Nicholas Brawn gets to the motel and sees that the guy he was hanging out with and doing magic tricks with is the one like kidnapping Stephanie and threatening all of them, and he goes.
Speaker 1: This isn't you, This isn't you. Wait.
Speaker 2: Before that, he's like, I thought we were homies. He's so funny.
Speaker 1: He is really really really talented portraying everybody how we all feel on our most vulnerable, our most vulnerable level of like yeah I trusted you, wait from how yeah I know of you? This isn't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, trages trag is my first tratege is I don't even remember which part that was. There's just some things that are so probably the penises. I was eating a pickle when I saw their pee in the toilet, and I did have to look. That was a mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, choose to eat during these films.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. The the later the it'll give all my ears right now. You for the scene where uh he's like licking her h huh so yeah, and then you for every time every time Coleman Domingo is using the bathroom and he goes.
Speaker 2: Why does he grunt so much? What is going on? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I really think that was like an amazing directorial choice, an amazing direction to give is like you're gross, Like we want to just sort of be kind of offended and grossed out by you. It's just sort of like like, oh, so disgusting for some reason, and it feels so human, like the things that were gross were so viscerally human.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: My first trage is why is the video style grainy? Uh huh. Cameras are good now? Uh yeah, I get that it's a choice, but cameras are good now. Actually it felt very Indie. And then I couldn't tell if that was stylistic or just like the budget they were working with or what. Yeah, but cameras are good now use good ones.
Speaker 1: Uh. My other and I guess sort of final trage because I just explained everything gross from the movie. My other trage is for just that the story is disturbing. It makes me sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say it. I'm a little tired of this harp score harp. I was like, you know what, stop, I actually don't like this.
Speaker 1: I thought you'd like it because it's music. It is music, but when music happens in movies, usually say something about it.
Speaker 2: Let's I usually do, and I am again, but this time it's negative. A trage for human suffering. There was human suffering was depicted at multiple times, and I said, no.
Speaker 1: I didn't like seeing the men be disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, my next trage is a trage for men are so scary. The scene where it's multiple men and they.
Speaker 1: Go we're savages. They're like, we're not proper.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that. I didn't like any.
Speaker 1: Think.
Speaker 2: And then of my final trage is the scene where she like basically gets she gets assaulted. Was pretty triggering.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: So that's where I was like, up until that point, I had been a little bit like tee, and then I was no longer and then I was very.
Speaker 1: Quiet, really really really shocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, I think it's because, like the sex acts that happened before that in the film are all consensual. Yes, uh huh, Like Zola didn't consent to being brought into this business situation, so she doesn't, but the sex that the actual people are having is consensual up until that point. And yeah, it becomes.
Speaker 1: Stephanie is an idiot, but she like this is and disturbing consenting and deciding to do and like is she's content with her situation at least?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess I just I really didn't appreciate seeing that actually like fully portrayed on screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's where I actually was, like, I disagree with that happening on camera. Yeah, because the of it. It feels like the way this was filmed was for the girlies. Yes, uh, like everybody not necessarily as being taken care of. But it's like, yeah, see what we mean. I don't know that part was just steps. It just was really triggering. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: You know, you know trag. Okay, let's move on to our segment. How to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are on a road trip. You are carpooling on a long road trip with a group that you don't know well, and uh, what was her boyfriend's name, Derek?
Speaker 1: Derek. Derek leans over back in the car. Yeah, and he's showing you a video. He's like, this is so funny. Look at this. Oh my god, she got so close to her face when he was saying that. Yeah, he was really exactly what you mm hmmm. He's exactly the type of exactly.
Speaker 2: That He's exactly it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at this video. It's so funny. Oh my god, I love Twitter. Twitter is so funny. Oh hey, I hear there's this new movie about Twitter, about Twitter. Yeah, I haven't. I haven't seen it, but I assume it's about like the really funny Twitter thread that was just funny and not disturbing because I'm not really a pare of women's pain. Yeah, and I'm gonna tell you everything that I've heard about it. H right now.
Speaker 2: And in order to block Derek, we're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film. Zola Derek is monologuing at me about this Twitter thread and just keeps playing at full volume like fail or like Reality King's videos or whatever that channel is for videos. And all I say is word.
Speaker 1: Word, What the frick okay? Men are so embarrassing?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Derek, I have seen the movie Zola Okay James Franco around the times that the tweets were written. James Franco immediately bought the movie rights to bring the story to Hollywood. He was originally attached to direct, produce, and star in the film No, and he he ultimately took his producer credit off the film due to the sexual harassment charges he received. Did he receive them on the film? I am so glad whoever who is in charge of this, who was involved with this, went no, James Franco, you may not direct this and be in it.
Speaker 2: God, just a cacophony is still coming from Derek's side of the car, and I just turned to him and I say, my dude, I love what she called him. The part of minimalism is so with her. It's go girl, give us nothing in the way that it's women's rights. Yeah, she doesn't over explain herself. She just says, no, I'm not doing this. You have to stop. I don't like what you're doing. There's honestly a lot to be learned from this character.
Speaker 1: Yes, Derek, I have seen the film Zola. To prepare for the role, Taylor Page worked at a strip club on Sunset and Librea to find out what it's like. And she said she actually really needed the money, so it worked out really well. But it was helpful for her because she wanted to have a sense of agency before she left to do the movie and learn what it's actually like to feel like it's an eat or be eat situation.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Derek continues his monologue at mile one hundred of the road trip, and I turned to him and I said, Derek, you have to stop talking to me about film.
Speaker 1: This isn't you.
Speaker 2: I thought we were homies.
Speaker 1: This isn't you. This, this isn't you. Yes, Derek, I have seen the film Zola. A lot of Riley Kyog's training was that she had to learn how to She had to get special training on how to play a white woman trying to yeah very offensively sound like a certain type of quote unquote black. As her co star, h Taylor Page put it. Keyok is basically in blackface for the whole movie with this black scent and Keok's portrayal of Stephanie is supposed to make the audience squirm, which it does. Movie makes you squirm, and she and the director had many conversations about cultural appropriation throughout the film since she had to act this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that dialect was craze.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. She was crazy.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. The look, the little brief look that Taylor Page does when they're outside of the club where they first danced together at going to Stephanie's car and Stephanie is going off about like why are you hitting up my phone? Why are you blah blah blah, Why areh blah blah blah, and she keeps saying sis, yeah, And at one point zola Is gives her this look that is so amazing. It's like a two second reaction and it's so perfect. She just kind of like gives her this look that's like, my god, I can't believe this person is this way yes, and then keeps going.
Speaker 1: She is such a good actress. I really want to watch her in more stuff. I hope she can. Being in lots of juicy Roles, so I get to see her for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Final fun fact is that Riley Kyogan Taylor Page became really good friends during filming. Yay, that's sweet. Oh my god, I'm so glad James Franco had nothing to do with this in the end.
Speaker 2: Oh, I rebuke that. I rebuke him. Okay, Sianna, it's time for our segment should you watch this or in which we tell you, beloved listener, if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your uh you with your nighttime, with your forty eight hours, with your forty eight hours, I'll go.
Speaker 1: I would say that the best part of the movie are Taylor Page's reactions. If you feel like watching it, go for it. It's definitely a lot. I was nervous to watch it. I think it's pretty disturbing, the whole thread and everything. But we know, I'm a big old nerd and I get so distressed by I also get distressed by human suffering. And that's just a little something about Leanna and myself. Something you could watch instead if you want to have girlies being extremely funny and looking at each other when they're crazy, and it takes place in Florida, and the club scenes. You could watch rap shit, which is still a hobby that I love. I mean, it's still a show that I love, but it's the same. It's like Florida. Yeah, so if you want to see Florida club life where people have more agency, but there's also definitely crazy parties that happen where people go like what the hell? Yeah, Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I would say, you don't have to watch Zola. You could instead just read the Twitter thread. Oh it's a wild it's crazy. I would say, read the Twitter thread first, so you know what to expect.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: And if you're gonna watch Sola, just have a content warning that there are scenes of sexual violence and assault. Your trade.
Speaker 1: I'll say, I really didn't want to watch it.
Speaker 2: Really scene just scene, I think in terms of assault. Yeah, if you want a white version of two girlies in Florida getting up to antics in probably the whitest possible way, you could watch Barb and Star go to Vista del mom My, gosh.
Speaker 1: Wait, we should completely watch that sometimes.
Speaker 2: I love that. I just watched it for the first time earlier this year. I'd never seen it before and obsessed. I love it so much. It's so us Yeah. Yeah, I think rap Shit and Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar are great alternative recommendations. Boy Seanna, what would you rate the film, Sola?
Speaker 1: I am going to rate the film Zola three point five old timey Instagram likes out of five. What I really liked was the choices they made to make certain parts of this less gratuitous. Yeah, I agree, like the climactic thing that they decided to do was really upsetting, but it clearly was carefully done, and I appreciated the direction and it really effectively. Again, if this film's trying to make you squirm, it makes you squirm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I thought the facial expressions were so funny. I thought the casting was really good. I think they did a really good job of making this telling the story. But the story itself is like one of the most disturbing things I've ever read, and I can't even remember. I'm not going to go back and read it now, but at the time I was like, oh my god. Oh yeah. I mean, it's like not a it's not a feel good every time watch. But I think they did a really good job. So I commend it, Leanna, what about you?
Speaker 2: I would give Sola three nipple pasties out of five. Oh my god, imagine having five nipples. Crazy number, way too many. I thought Taylor Page's performance in it was amusing. She's amazing, like really iconic. Wow, she sores in this film.
Speaker 1: I loved.
Speaker 2: I thought the casting was great. I think, yeah, it just the assault scene was so hard to watch and so upsetting that it really knocked it down for me. And then yeah, I just wanted it more of a Dane New Mold. I just wanted a bit of relax, like the ability to exhale at the end. I think we'd had earned by the time we got there, and that would have been a nice way to be like, Okay, that's it, that's the ending. But yeah, really good performances, really interesting choices directorially, like just the way the way shots were set up I thought was really interesting and different and unique. Yeah, and the casting was top tier. Yeah, yeah, that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: It did a really good job. Yay, Well we've watched Zola. Oh my gosh. Well, uh, thank you everybody so much for listening to this episode of Toss Popcorn. We are at toss Popcorn on Instagram and at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn, where we're soon going to watch a recent movie and we have to figure out which one, but you know. Check out our Patreon. Thank you for people who have joined recently. Thank you for everybody who's on there. It really helps a lot and we love getting to keep doing the podcast. So thank you for your help and join us next week when we will be.
Speaker 2: Watching Julie and Julia.
Speaker 1: Oh baby, we better eat some food. Yeah sound Thank you about a huge woman. We love you.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. Oh now and or now Watching movies with huge women with huge women that's also women's rights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, women weren't allowed to be huge it on screen