Speaker 1: I'm glad that you know, I was given my own name. I wasn't a Hank the fourth or something like that. And I'm sure that my dad and probably wouldn't have wanted me to go into music at all.
Speaker 2: This episode is with Sam Williams. Sam is Hank Williams junior son, so that makes Hank william Senior his grandpa. And I really wasn't going to bring up the dad thing that Hank Williams Junior him leaving the studio. I wasn't going to bring it up, especially upfront in the interview, maybe not at all, because I never want the kid of an artist to feel like that's the only reason we're talking to them. So I was relieved when he brought it up, immediately got ready to do it. Yeah. To him, I think he was like, well, we're probably gonna talk about this, so let's just jump right in. So I had never met Sam before at two Country Star is out now. It came out July eleventh, so go check it out, go stream it. It's got seven tracks on it, and we talk about all of it, talk about his grandpa, talking about his dad, talk about his career, why it's different, what it was like growing up as Hank Junior son, all of that here with Sam Williams. By the way, his Instagram is Sam Williams, except it's spelled with a V not an A, so it looks like Sam will of Them's. Yeah, we'll put it in the episode notes. You can bind it. Yeah, it's hard to explain here he is Sam Williams. Sam, it is nice to meet you, man. Nice to meet you too. This is amazing. I don't think we met no a lot of times in this town. As you'll probably back me up on this, you meet people very quickly and you don't remember meeting them because it's like six seconds. And sometimes I'll be like, hey, nice to meet you, and they're like, oh, we've we met once, or you know of or know what they're known for. Well, I know of you and yeah what you're known for? Yeah, and I know your music, but we've never met. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, I've always been familiar with you in a way, you know, not super close, but I know my dad on your podcast.
Speaker 2: I was familiar with that when he walked down of the show. Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Everybody in the world sending this to me, They're like.
Speaker 2: Did you see. I know you're busy. Did you see your dad did this week? I'm like, I'm sure he did, you know, And I respected it, and I've talked about it a couple of times since because all my friends sent it to me. And in the moment, I didn't think much of it. Meaning people come in, your dad obviously very famous. I didn't realize he wanted to smoke a cigar, like. I didn't know the real reason. So I'm glad you brought this up, because I may have never even brought this up. Your dad, who I grew up listening to because my grandmother was a massive fan, and so I grew up listened to your dad and he was coming. I was like, great, it was him, And it was one of the guys of Black Keys who was producing the record, Dan, Yeah, Dan already, And so they came in and your dad just had a big personality about him, and I was like, classic Hank Hank Junior, deep breath, yeah, and he was on. But I'm okay, like I'm up for it. Yeah, And so We're kind of going back and forth, and I'm like, this is the game. I'm totally in. I didn't realize somebody told him he couldn't smoke a cigar in the building, and that's why he was ready to get out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was just like one sentence that that damaged everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happens sometimes people.
Speaker 1: For me, sometimes people just do things though they can, they just do things. And he is one of those people that just does things, and wanting to smoke a cigar and not getting to is probably one of them. But I guess apologies on his behalf. But that's that's the icon stuff.
Speaker 2: I thought, that's pretty cool. That's honestly what I thought. Because I didn't. I also didn't back down, But it wasn't like I didn't feel like we're fighting. It just felt like we're both like, all right, well, if this is ain't right, we'll just go on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's unfamiliar with like this environment of like doing this type of thing. It was a long time ago that he was more doing that and you know, used to doing whatever he wants. He would rather be in a deer stand or like something like that, planning where to hunt bear in Minnesota. But but yeah, everybody would send that to me, be like have you seen this?
Speaker 2: I'm like yes, that's so funny. It was really one of my favorite moments last like ten years or so because it was real.
Speaker 1: It was absolutely there's a lot that's not real, and at least that that's a real moment.
Speaker 2: Right, And it never felt like honestly angry, like I think both of us were just like, all right, cool, I mean you you can go.
Speaker 1: Oh and he got the joke in about the how this there's this much left on a cigar that Uncle Harold used to say, that's like an ism, you know, that's like always.
Speaker 2: So that's at least a few quotables. I'm glad you brought that up because I may have forgotten all about that. It is, well, you walked in, you're mitching the lion. We have these lions like where when you walk in there, I don't know if you touched one of them. I did not. I didn't know if that was well they don't. They're not like super valuable or anything, but we have these lions by our pool and they're probably five feet taller. So we ordered them. We went to one of these websites and it was like they'll deliver it from Atlanta and my wife one of these lions and they were like, they're three hundred pounds each. And so I remember it was my birthday and there were a few of us over at the house and they delivered these two lions that are three hundred pounds each. I bet you they weigh a thousand pounds. We couldn't get him out of the truck. The poor guy who delivered them was like, I don't know what to do. Like we took us like a mike what an hour hour and a half at least we had to. We couldn't even get them back here. We rolled them out of the truck into the yard and left them for a week. Like they're that heavy.
Speaker 1: You had to get like a whole dolly situation to get it back.
Speaker 2: We had a dollie. We broke the dollie. We had to hire people, oh my gosh, to come and bring those lines. So thank you for at least acknowledging those lions. Oh they're the whole vibe.
Speaker 1: They're like they're over they're overlooking the pool.
Speaker 2: They are and that is basically a thousand pounds crazy. Uh. Anyway, I'm gonna tell you why I like you and why I've always well, I've known who you are why I'm fond of what you do, mostly because of how you do it. Meaning I've always been given crap since my arrival in Nashville because I don't really look like I was supposed to look, meaning especially when I got here. No belt buckle, no cowboy hat. Yeah, and even though I'm from Arkansas and spent a lot of my life moving around and trailer park, like I was like like white trash, redneck country, but I wasn't cowboy and that wasn't considered real. And I'm in cardigans and I'm wearing nice tennis shoes and they're like, well, yeah, you're not country spectacles. Yeah, nerdy, great point, Thank for minum I and nerdia nerdy glasses. But I think that's also I think what I've been drawn to about what you do is you kind of and I mean this in a complimenty well you kind of don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that it's it's kind of natural for me. I don't really care. I mean I think that I have plenty of insecurities that show their face all the time. But I mean, even you, like you're sneakers right here. These are Louis Vuitton off white Nike. It's a whole filing like you knowing that and like you've made that cool people. What's his name, Jesse Frasier. Yeah, his shoes are crazy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So it's like a cool thing now. So I think that, you know, the more people get to like what they like, because liking stuff is cool, and doing stuff is cool, and being yourself is cool, you know, uh, it becomes a little bit more normalized. But I think that sometimes I have to you know, know that I'm going against the grain, But a lot of the time I just can't help it.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna do what I want to do, and I'm gonna do my damn dist you know, to do it well. And you know, I was never I was never gonna fit in the preconceived boxes and you know, and image of what is the Nashville standard, and you know, as you're saying so in music and definitely with my legacy, it's it's completely you know.
Speaker 2: Compounded by that.
Speaker 1: But that's why I think I kind of have no choice but to just be exactly myself.
Speaker 2: Well, you have the pressure and I and the bonus of a legacy, right like that, It's not just amazing because there's a lot of it is cool, but there's a lot of pressure to the legacy, like things that people will compare you to unfairly even if you don't ask for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you ever think about not using the name? No, I mean I think that it'd be fun. I make plenty of jokes all the time about what would my stage name do? But I mean it's authentics, no gimmicks, It's just my name. And I'm glad that you know, I was given my own name. I wasn't a Hank the fourth or something like that. And I'm sure that my dad and probably wouldn't have wanted me to go into.
Speaker 2: Music at all. He would rather do not. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure his mom, Audrey. I've never met Audrey. She died twenty some years before I was born. I'm sure she would have made sure that I was in music. That I would have been learning, you know stuff when I was little. So, I mean I kind of came to not with much musical background. You know, my dad's a whistler at home, a whistler talk about the weather going down the road home, and you know, not playing records, and this is what I love, you know, not like me and my kid in the car necessarily at all. So I think that it was like a scary thing for me for a long time of if this is something I wanted to do, what would it look like for me?
Speaker 2: I like Britney Spears and Justin Bieber and JT.
Speaker 1: You know, so as a kid, I think it was something I very much shot away from. And then later on it just kind of made sense. You know, for a while, it doesn't. You don't know what you're doing and you're doing something, and then you know, I think just over the past couple of years, it's kind of just all fell in line for me, like I get it now. I get what I'm supposed to do and like how to do it and it and it feels good, you know. I think that a lot of people probably like me as a writer, you write the most sad music first, I mean, you just out the gate with it because it's like dying to get out in a way. And with the new project, I'm definitely able to be able to have fun with my music for one of the first times. Kind of similar, I think, and I've kind of realized to my dad in the in the seventies and into the eighties of not wanting. He would always reference not wanting to sing those old sad songs, you know, in many things and feeling Better even, which is one of my favorites. And then the sound kind of changed and there was a more of a pride and a joy to the raucousness to the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah that it changed too for him, Yeah, yeah, big time.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean The Mountain Fall did that too. But uh yeah, you know, all my reinvention comes from Hayting Junior, not all of it, but I think that, you know, I had to. I was very adamant about writing all my songs, writing all my music and it being something unique. So if somebody didn't like it or they wanted to take power from me because they didn't like what I was doing, that it was still something very real, you know. And I think that's always been my thing, and who knows where my career's going, but like, I always have that to fall back on. And I think with this project, I'm really having fun with it and been able to, you know, really open it up, and I'm just trying to. I'm knocking on the ceiling, you know. I feel like with each thing that I do. So I'm trying to that Jelly Roll intro is cool. Yes, yeah, yeah, this one the documentary we did together.
Speaker 2: It's super cool.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I saw him the opry at the Rhyman like years ago. He was there with Ernest and friends with Ernest, and he yelled at me and he's like.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sambo, when we gonna do that record?
Speaker 1: Man? And I didn't really think anything of it. I was like, oh, man, Jelly Roll, he's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should have done that.
Speaker 1: I still want to, but I've actually, you know, it is a crazy thing what's happened with Jelly Roll. And one of the you know, one of the really cool things about it is that a lot of it is from an authenticity that he does talk about all the dark stuff and what he came from, even if he's doing something different.
Speaker 2: Now. I was watching your TikTok where you're playing Jelly talking about you and you're like, this is my intro? Did you rehearsal? Yeah? Yeah, you're kind of sitting there playing where did that come from? As in, did you lead him somewhere to say that? Did you say? Like what?
Speaker 1: I didn't even meet I've never met him since years ago. We were in the same documentary called Rebel Country that's like going somewhere, and I think it was about the artists featured in it. What do they represent about being a rebel in country or what does that mean? And they just I saw it at the screening that he just said that about me.
Speaker 2: No, that's like the greatest ww hype.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, yeah, I want I want a whole one, you know. I want like my dad has in the show, all these references.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: I just know all the words to all of them from country artists like Justin Moore definitely, Jase Noldan or Luke or something. It's all them referencing him in songs like a mashup and I want one from Dolly Parton. That's what I need, you know, one of my favorite things here.
Speaker 2: And we've got to work together. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She's on my first album on a song called Happy All the Time.
Speaker 2: You want me to tell a story on that? I would love to hear.
Speaker 1: God, she was really crazy. I was making my son breakfast one day. My manager calls with this idea and she's like, we gotta get Dolly Onhappy all the Time. And I was like, really, like I'm really young, like you really just kind of ruined my day, Like I want to dream big, you know I do. I'm a big dreamer, but come on now. And we just kind of focused everything on it, tried to see any way we could get to her, and it ended up happening through this really amazing sweet lady that my friend Bobby Tomberland is friends with. He's an older songwriter here, but he's like a country music history buff. He's the best and news one close to her that does does Dolly's hair and has for years. And she just felt this calling to to get her this song. She says she'd never given her a song from someone in family or friends in like thirty years. And I made a little package and I wrote a letter and like I type wrote the lyrics so happy all the time out it looked a mess kind of and I laminated it, but it was cute, like.
Speaker 2: It was you laminated it.
Speaker 1: That's a no, Like yeah, I was like, I know Dolly Parton, We're like the same. Like I'm about to laminate this and she's gonna she's gonna think this is the whole thing. I'm sending her a care package and like in modern warfare this is and she was moved by it.
Speaker 2: And she was yeah.
Speaker 1: And one time I had to for her to listen to the song after getting it, I had to drive a boombox from Target in Brentwood to her offices in the rain. I'm like buzzing the gate, like, hey, this is Sam Williams. I have this speaker for Mss Dolly. Sheught she said to bring she has to listen to it on a CD and they're like what. They finally let me in. I give it to her and we didn't meet them.
Speaker 2: We met later on.
Speaker 1: But it was just amazing because she wanted. She was very detailed in asking me. I wrote to her what the song was about to me, and it was really special then and she asked what exactly do you want me to do? What lines would you like me to do? And how should I answer to this? And it was awesome. You know, she's I think she's always overly gracious than what is expected or required.
Speaker 2: You know, I agree, Yeah, she's been that way to me too, and she definitely has not had to be that way. No, because she really doesn't have to do anything anymore. No, anything from her comes from her wanting or feeling like a situation deserves her help, especially all the charity work she does too, Right, Yeah, I feel like when she works with me in any way whatsoever, that's charity with you, that's art with me, that's charity. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was appealing to I was feeling to Ethos real. I mean I wrote to her about the song. I think she really there was like just some like weird parallels at the time. I'm from West Tennessee, she's from East Tennessee. I come from money in this big you know, big legacy, but a lot of tragedy at the same time. They just danced together and she came from you know, kind of nothing and built something incredible, and you know, we talked about that some and she was kind of she was hard on me though, like a little bit stern. Why haven't you done this? You should have did an album like this?
Speaker 2: Was it advice? What are you doing? Yes?
Speaker 1: But it was a bit advised, but it was bit Dolly Parton business advice.
Speaker 2: You know, it was mega.
Speaker 1: So I was terrified and she's just you know, I think that she delets such an impact.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Growing up, was there music around you, say, your dad wasn't you used historian for describing somebody else. Was there a bunch of music accessible to you? Or was it because he his life was so much music, and your grandfather's lif and like a lot of your family does music. Was there no music because it was so much music?
Speaker 1: To be honest, it was more like that. I mean, my dad had shows. He had shows in the summer. He does this most of the time. I mean, when I was little, it was probably different. But uh, you know, I think that playing guitar and writing songs in twenty minutes and you know, rowdiness probably phased out by the time I was five, in two thousand and two, at least on his side, you know. So, I mean, I think that there's definitely there's probably a lot of unsaid blockage there, you know, for all of us. He didn't get to grow up with his dad, and people don't really know that.
Speaker 2: They just think that. And he did it.
Speaker 1: My dad was a lot older when I was born. It was it was I'm from Paris, Tennessee. You know, so I came from a really small place to strove from there. This morning, you're still there, No, I just I went back to real steaks with my friends and my son wanted to fish and yeah, so I mean it's nice. A lot has changed, but we still have a piece there and a place there, so you know, hold on to that. But no, I mean I think that my dad doesn't like to He doesn't talk about music and listen to music. He talks about guns. He loves guns, history of guns, making bullets. This war fall off a mountain in Montana, you know, Mozambique one time.
Speaker 2: This grizzly bear.
Speaker 1: That's what my dad's vernacular is. He's a performer to everyone else, you know, all the time. So I really was able to draw inspiration from music from whatever I exposed myself to, which was a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, when did you start learning music at what age? M like to sing? Yeah, like to actually create, more so than hearing songs.
Speaker 1: I mean I just would do weird stuff as a kid. I told my mom I wrote Lucky about Britney Spears for her, and I was singing it for my sister. Came running down the stairs, my late sister Katie, and she was.
Speaker 2: Like, that's a Britney Spears song. That's my favorite song. He didn't write that. I'm the one who played it. For him. I was so upset, sad that is I love that this is a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I mean I never got technical with it.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: I actually moved to Nashville at fourteen and lived here for a semester, my first semester of high school, and I thought I was gonna take voice lessons, start doing stuff, and like, you know, I didn't want my time to run out, Like I think, I'm scared of failure and I always have been since very young. And I was like, everybody's doing stuff, I have to be doing stuff.
Speaker 2: To you moved here at fourteen? What do you mean? Who did you live with? Me? And my mom lived here? Got it?
Speaker 1: It was just six months and I went back home and it was it was kind of a lot. I wasn't really ready for it yet I wanted to be. I wasn't used to living around a bunch of like rich kids and stuff either.
Speaker 2: It was strange to me. Were you the rich kid in Paris? Yeah?
Speaker 1: For sure, and it comes with its People don't like that, you know. I grew up like very used to that.
Speaker 2: But like, but were you known as the rich kid or was it obvious you were the rich kid? I think there's a difference, like did you dress probably both nicer? Do you have nicer stuff than everybody else? No? I was like a little kid.
Speaker 1: No, but like i've I just have like a outlandish fashion taste and always kind of have. And that was the you know, experimental period. So and I do like cars, but like, no, I mean I think that cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like as a kid when I turned like eleven, I all I talked about was my first car for.
Speaker 2: Five years, Well, what's your first car?
Speaker 1: It was a two thousand and eight BMW X five from Gadston, Texas, and it was tan metallic and it had big rims and brown mahogany inside. I was like really planning on balling out and.
Speaker 2: Why that car? Why that car? Yeah? He said, you're talking about it for five years. I don't know if that was the same car through all five years.
Speaker 1: Oh No, I was just annoying. I was like talking to my dad all the time, like I can't wait to get a car. Why'd you pick the BMW? I tried to get a hardship license. I just really liked the color. It had a secret compartment on the dashboard that I thought was cool and had like the big flaps on the back, the older big bass like X fives and the big buffler's kind of on it, and I did it.
Speaker 2: Was just super dope to me. You still like cars? Yeah, I don't have enough money to you know, well, now I'm confused to flex money. But now you're saying you don't have money.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean as a kid, I grew up you know with money. Now, Oh, I mean it's I don't look around.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find it, you know, I try to find it. So you're saying there's just not a bunch of money that's fed to you all the time.
Speaker 1: Now, oh no, No, I don't. I think a lot of me and Holly. I don't know, if you know Holly. Me and Holly have this conversation all the time sometimes, like people think that we just like were born and just ate Hey, good looking cheerios and just freaking family tradition till you know the cows went home, And that's not it. You know, my dad's like a frugal, frugal man born in nineteen forty nine. You know, it was a different world then. That's really what he said about the cigar. But no, I mean my dad obviously helps me in ways and has been there for me in many ways before. But you know, I mean, like all my dad's kids have been on our own thing.
Speaker 2: When did you kind of have to go out and do it yourself.
Speaker 1: Probably about kind of always. But my son was born. I was nineteen, so it was a little bit different then. But you know, I got a publishing deal when I was It just turned twenty one, so it was about then. So you know, I'm jealous of people with the lake Martin lake houses and the big boats. I went on a big boat recently the other day.
Speaker 2: Big boat, like a lake yacht.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that's really nice. So you know, I'm I'm trying to get one of those one day. So right now I'm making my my fun on the lake kind of songs. So you know, walk in that direction.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. Big boat, Yeah kind of. But like I just grew up on the lake.
Speaker 1: It's not even really a materialistic thing like guns, just a sun dancer.
Speaker 2: No, do you know a lot about the history of guns, because you're because my stepdad was obsessed with the Civil War. I was obsessed with like nineteen sixties baseball.
Speaker 1: My dad's obsessed with like the Civil War. I don't know about the history guns. I know more about like the history of the world and like international affairs than I do.
Speaker 2: That was what I brought a liking to. What kind of student were you? I was a really.
Speaker 1: Exceptional student for kind of all ways. And then by high school I had gotten into the places I wanted to go and just kind of stopped.
Speaker 2: The dream died for a.
Speaker 1: Minute, and then I ended up going to school here in Nashville for a few years in entertainment industry studies whatever that means.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean. It's just a way to be able to come to Nashville commit and go to school when really you're coming to Nashville to actually do entertainment. That's what I feel like it is.
Speaker 1: For a lot of that's just when you just don't know what you're doing yet. Some people are just in an incubation period for too long and they're just in that for too long. But I was just doing anything. I mean, I took before I was really really writing. I remember my first year at Belmont taking a songwriting course and I didn't really know what I was doing at all, And I don't know though, like looking back, that was kind of the beauty of it. And when I work with people like that are more esteemed like a John Paul White or Jim Lauderdale or you know, people you know respected for their writing, they kind of celebrate that blank slateness approach to making music and like just even writing the other day, like I kind of I don't like to write the titles. I come in and see what I find and what I get to and it's a lot a lot of conversation into what's the message and what's the feeling and to get what I want to say. And I think that you you take pieces of everything that's inspired you, and I just kind of tend to like to create in the moment, and I think maybe that changes at some point, you know, there's always like a weird evolution to the creating.
Speaker 4: I think let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: Country Star Act two. What's up with the acts? Why are they not different records? Like? Really, what is I don't know what you're why are you doing it like that? What's up with all the podcasts? No? I hear you, but I label mind different for different reasons. Oh, okay, I'm just kidding. I mean I think that you know, there's a creative aspect is the act like but also the same show, but it's different parts of this act. I guess that's that's what my question about the record is, like in your mind creatively, why did you name it and separate them like this?
Speaker 1: I had too many songs and to not be a big artist. I'm not on country radio. I'm not supported by like a lot of the big.
Speaker 2: Big boys here.
Speaker 1: So I mean I had a lot of songs and a lot of creativity, and it's like where do we go? So I think that I kind of created this idea to show a different side of me in each thing and to build a world, three different worlds out of the different music I make, because that's kind of always been a thing too. Was that like not was just Sam being himself? But Sam's being so himself, like he's this sounds nothing like this, and we like when he sings the sad ballads, so why let's do that? And I think that I was dying to grow and I'd made songs like no Problem, and then when I had written Country Star, I was like, I think this is a whole thing, and we gotta, like, I want to spread this out and introduce my music to people in a few different steps, and you know, get to show them different sides of me, because nobody else is going to do it for me. You know, I can't wait on one moment to launch my career and then do everything after. I think, you know, it's just industry's changed. So I think that with this with Thatt too, truthfully and creatively, I'd say the projects kind of revolve around fear, scarlet, lonesome from last year. It's more fear of losing love, losing someone, not finding yourself, you know, kind of the the figuring it out Country Star is more so the chaos of you know, fear of failure, fear of not being yourself. And you know, I think that there's a lot of like chaos and mania that comes with the hard parts of life and figuring out who you are and trying to do it on purpose. And I wanted to embrace all the different sides of me, and I kind of naturally have a tendency to the darkness get into my music somewhere when I'm trying not to. So I think songs like killed a man in Tennessee. That's a song that's on Act two. You know, there's there's hip hop in it, and I'm singing all over it and stuff, and it's kind of just me creating something new and I'm getting to take ownership of some of my story that hasn't fit into the rest of my music so far. You know, it's not all sadness that's in me, and I think there's a lot of it, but people see that on the product. You know what I put out more than the joyous and kind of driven and dreaming side of me, and that gets to come out here.
Speaker 2: Who are your favorite artists? Oh of all time? You're gonna give me guidelines or I just start now. I would just say you can even do ages because I I think the artist listen to growing up. Yeah, shaped you, even if you don't realize they shaped you. I think about that because when you say Britney Lucky as a kid, I really loved.
Speaker 1: Britney Spears probably early Cheetah Girl stage, loved Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake for sure. I had the Justin Bieber haircut when he came out, and it was it was a problem.
Speaker 2: There was at the flot the bank Flop.
Speaker 1: There was an early jealousy there and I was like, is he hot? Do I want to be him?
Speaker 2: Like? What is this?
Speaker 1: And I've kind of always you know, I love Justin Bieber too. I think I really loved Tyler Childers when he'd first kind of come out right before Purgatory and after that, and that shaped a lot of my voice kind of at the time, and the writing I was doing because I think, you know, moving here probably ages eighteen nineteen twenty, I was just trying to absorb writing as well, like try to listen to a Joni Mitchell record. I love Laurie McKenna songwriter, like what did her earlier song sound like?
Speaker 2: What do people's songs sound like? That never came out.
Speaker 1: I listened to a lot of hip hop music, So I mean, I think my favorite artist now would definitely be I'm a Big Barb.
Speaker 2: I love Nicki Minaj.
Speaker 1: It's like the creativity, the invention, the determination, and so twenty ten's hip hop Drake, Nicki Wayne, I love Jay Cole.
Speaker 2: But on a.
Speaker 1: Daily basis, I probably am one of those more nostalgialists that is listening to like your older favorite songs, me and my son do a lot of Sean Kingston, old Sean Kingston. I throw in some random Hank Williams sometimes just to you.
Speaker 2: Try to teach him to get it in there, teach him music about who great grandpa was.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean he has plenty of questions. So, I mean, Hanky talkin is the song on Act two that's coming out or that you did with Yeah, I'm singing.
Speaker 2: With my grandpa. I did it. Yeah, we were in the studio. Yeah. I don't know how to refer to him, your grandpa or Hank. Yes, yeah, I mean because I watched you. I watched you the announcement of you talking about it, and I've seen some stuff where you're like, hey, I'm gonna do this. Was that emotional at all?
Speaker 1: No, it would be for me, you know, if it does well, probably, But I mean I've done some stuff of I covered I'm So Lonesome I could cry, And that was really really special to do because it was very reimagined and new chords to it, kind of a new thing and honky Tonking I wanted to do something fun and exciting and have another record on Act two that you know, ties pieces of my story together. There's just a lot there, and I want to do something that was kind of campy and that was fun and not you know, I'm not trying to have a songwriting exercise competition here, and I do that too much. I want to do the perfect little anecdote, you know. And it actually wrote a couple of different versions of Honky Tonkin and came to one that just felt like the perfect amount of quirkiness and polish, but you know, also just fun. And the tag and the pedal steel feels so so so long ago, so seventy five years ago, and it also sounds like, you know, the music being made nowadays.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: With I think with my kid, my son, with Hank Senior, he has more questions about did pop pop sing the national anthem at super this?
Speaker 2: You know a little bit more of that? And pop pops your dad, yeah, which is his grandfather.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, my dad goes pop pop for most grandkids. So, I mean, he has many questions, but it's it's a lot to understand for him. I think there's a lot of loss in my family and there has been from a long time before me and a lot since me. So I think it's you know, it's probably a lot to take in, you know. I mean, my dad was on Post Malone's album.
Speaker 2: That was the.
Speaker 1: Coolest thing ever to him. You know, He's like, did they what did they do? I'm like, I don't think they met. He's got a pretty cool name. Yeah, but I mean I think that, you know, he does a great job with it. I think I did. I do pretty great with it.
Speaker 2: Now. It's a lot of pressure. But as a kid, it was like type in on Google. It was scary, did you Yeah, I guess you could find out stuff on Google. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Google was around, and I guess two thousand and seven I was ten. Yeah one Google. I was like, how many results? No, you're Tennyson? Yes, what's where's the name come from?
Speaker 2: It's actually a writer, Alfred Lord Tennyson.
Speaker 1: He's a British poet a long time ago with the Lightning Brigade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: So I think I was trying to have him pass at the Supreme Court Justice test, like is it that interesting?
Speaker 2: You know? Do you want him to do music? No? I don't.
Speaker 1: I think he could be great probably anything he'd like to do, and he may want to.
Speaker 2: But do you think your dad felt exactly the same way about you. Yeah, yeah, And now do you understand.
Speaker 1: My dad used to say he's going to be a senator all the time.
Speaker 2: Never had the desire to be a senator.
Speaker 1: I did, though, you did, Yeah, I sure did. I totally wanted to do that.
Speaker 2: Why, well, it's not like past tense. You still can't do it. You're still very young. But why I guess nowadays you can do whatever you want. Did you just say it and then you can do it? Boom? Yeah? So you still maybe want to do politics. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it depends on how I look at thirty nine. If it's really given politics, if it's really given like thirty nine, if it's given like House of Representatives, yeah, and microphone in suits and tailored suits, then if we might just have to do it. You like being on stage, yeah, me, And I like when people know what they're talking about. I don't like when people have no idea what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Keep going like you know, everybody has a microphone and platform a lot nowadays, there's a there's an oversaturation to it. And that's in more than just you know, commentary, it's in everything. I don't think it would have worked out though. If I would have been a senator, my dad would have been really mad if it would have worked out.
Speaker 2: Because it doesn't align. Yeah, it would.
Speaker 1: It would have just been a disconnect. It would have been like, you know, storm the Capitol. It would I don't know, yeah, I feel yeah.
Speaker 2: How many shows are you doing? Now? Are you playing a bunch this summer?
Speaker 1: It has been like CMA Fest just happened to me, really really busy. I just had to operat the other night, kind of last minute, and trying to plan some stuff around the album coming out. But the rest of the year is a little bit open right now, and it's figuring out the rest of music everything just that I'm working on. And I'd really love to get a tour for the end of this year, but I don't have anything announced right now.
Speaker 2: Where do you feel you can be the most creative, And I'll give you an example. Mine is setting. Mine is a shower because I have no phone. I would, but it get wet so I can't. I do all my glasses on and it's like the only time and only space I have where really nothing can get to me, and it's where my mind is the freest, and I'll and I come up with more mostly bad ideas, but every once in a while one it's pretty good, Like mine is the shower. That's where I'm probably inspired the most. Where is it for you?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the most to to just songwriting, and I'm just on the ground, Like I write pen and paper, so or highlighter and paper?
Speaker 2: You still write? Yeah? Yeah, I say still you probably always written pin of paper? Then huh yep? Why why not a laptop? Why not your phone? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I like to make like it's just about placement.
Speaker 2: I'm a visual learner.
Speaker 1: I have to make a whole like it's just I don't know how to describe it. But if I'm writing like a lot of words, I don't know if I'm going to use these words or what they mean. Like I gotta make like a bubble type map and look at them and figure out how I'm putting them together and what is what am I actually saying? But that's to do with music though, like actual good ideas for life, I have no idea where I think of those that I want to figure out.
Speaker 3: The Bobby cast will be right back. This is the Bobby cast.
Speaker 2: Can you write by schedule meaning I'm gonna write ten am tomorrow and at ten am you sit down, you write, not alone?
Speaker 1: No, I mean co writes all the time, so like, yeah, it's my job.
Speaker 2: But scheduled writing with others. But if it it's just yourself, I wouldn't do as well.
Speaker 1: No, it'd be more when am I like actually, aha, you know I think by myself it would just.
Speaker 2: Feel more, feel more forced.
Speaker 1: It's like you need to have this piece of content up at this time blah blah blah, and you need to feel like this in it.
Speaker 2: You know. Do you feel the constant pressure to constantly produce content you don't understand? Yeah, oh I'm sure you do.
Speaker 1: But when you're when you haven't had like big moments yet, like it's just this is just a different thing now. You know, it's not all about the just making music anymore. It's about what are you? And believe me, like I I do my best to be me as as I can, but you know, you got to be very out there.
Speaker 2: Some of my friends like are the big like Lana fans.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh my gosh, dude, if Lana had to come out now with like everything that we do. I don't think she would have won to keep at it for long enough to become.
Speaker 2: Like a legend. You know. It's just it's just kind of staying the course. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: I'm always complaining my managers, like, are you just gonna give up?
Speaker 2: Sam? You're gonna give.
Speaker 1: Up because your video, you know, it's just a lot bigger than that. But uh, we get bogged down with a lot of the stuff now. But it's like, it's just the noise.
Speaker 2: Do you feel I guess there are a couple of ways you can feel about this At times. I know that I feel annoyed if I have something I'm really happy with and proud of in a post and it doesn't do anything, and that can be frustrating. It could be very frustrating. Like I put a lot of work, a lot of time, a lot of effort. I'm like, man, I think this should really do well, and it doesn't. That's frustrating. Oh yeah it is. But then there are times where I do the stupidest thing and it's like, oh, look, Dawn, it's got one point one million stupid views and that's cool and all. But I'm like, I really there's the stuff I want to matter, Yeah, matter, do I get frustrated?
Speaker 1: Probably it's like always the thing that you're looking forward to that you worked too to like announce or like do, and it's like mmm, yeah, you know that is definitely for us trading. But I mean, I don't know, it's like what are you gonna do? I think we, me and my team probably have conversations like this all the time because I want to give people, you know, different worlds of music, different sounds, different looks.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm really in tune with my fashion and image and what am I saying and how does it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And I think that it's just so damn fast now that like a lot of that doesn't even catch up with people. It's just a different time. I think the people that are amazing at it, I'm like astounded by, like how do you do this?
Speaker 2: Like just never miss a beat? In a way.
Speaker 1: I've been really proud of Dasha, you know. I mean Dasha's one song. I knew Dasha a little bit before, you know, before the song, and her whole life is like you know, craziness now and it's and it's it's running with it and she's done a really awesome job at it, and I think that a lot of people don't get credit for when you do get something and you got to handle your whole life, you know, from there.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think where part would be frustrating that it doesn't pop. What you just said there is kind of the hope is that there really isn't like a single gatekeeper anymore, and anything could pop off at any time. Literally, Yeah, and your life could be changed in three days because something catches and it spreads and then there's the spotlight on you by the people that want to invest in you. And yeah, I really could all change like that, and the only way to actually make it change is to keep working. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that, you know, I probably, like everyone else, sometimes let the fear and that anything else get in the way of, you know, trying to subscribe to that. I think adding Honky talking to my project was like, I'm gonna do something fun and it's my legacy and I'm gonna say stuff that they're gonna be like why did he even say that? Just because that's just how I am. And you know, that was like a fun thing to add to this. And I have another album coming out after and it's like, yeah, I may not be the best at making tiktoks all the time and like trying to make them swaggy or sexy or like so funny ha ha.
Speaker 2: I'm just not really like that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't find the time of the day too. I guess I'm busy and it's just a new thing. I kind of feel old like trying to get it and I'm not.
Speaker 2: But I do.
Speaker 1: I know I'm good at the making music and the telling a story and you know, making taking somewhere someone somewhere different when they're listening, you know. So I mean I think maybe maybe this will maybe this will blow over in a couple of years.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it is. It's still in the fashion. Yeah yeah, power rank your favorite brands, your favorite brands, Yeah, I'll go, I'll match you one for one, Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean I have like cheap favorite brands too. Back into old Navy again.
Speaker 2: But if I were to say you get five unlimited for a whole day, what brand do you go to first? It could be any brand, any clothing brand. I wear a.
Speaker 1: Lot of fix clothing. It's in London. These are fixed the g Yeah, probably this shirt too.
Speaker 2: These are like a.
Speaker 1: Rolling Stones collection. Okay, I'm gonna think of right now today.
Speaker 2: I want like one store you get to go into any store and have everything you want, because for me, it's probably like Bottega. Okay, that's probably my number one.
Speaker 1: I don't have anything from there, but I would go to Christian Dior because I like the vibe.
Speaker 2: And the resale is crazy. You have the saddle bags. I just I've always wanted one of those.
Speaker 1: I've gone in there and looked at one so many times, no, and I was not getting it.
Speaker 2: Just to recheck it real quick, like the dude saddle bags, Yeah, yeah, they're awesome.
Speaker 1: And just the little ones. I just kind of like them. Yeah, and then I'm gonna I'm gonna put in a dumb one and say, uh, Tractor Supply because there's so much I could get in there and have someone help me put at my house or Tracked.
Speaker 2: What Supplies fun is they have everything people do. It's like if they don't know, they don't know it's not a tractor store track and I Supply has everything they do. Yeah, it's like you're going into Kmart. There's a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: And I just like their corny southern kind of like stuff out there. I'm like, oh, this windmill with a cow, love it.
Speaker 2: It does have cracker barrel vibes and part of it. Well, I'm just in that era of my life.
Speaker 1: I'm sure one day, if i'm you know, rich and have something else, I want my house to look like this lion out here.
Speaker 2: But for right now, you don't want the lion. Yeah, you get a plastic one. Don't have to worry about how I have you that thing is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I could use some accessories, so I'm gonna go Swarowski.
Speaker 2: I used to like that as a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I used to always get like a pen and I was obsessed with my pen, like you know. Yeah yeah, And I'm blanking kind of so much today.
Speaker 2: But I've never had anything from Marnie. Yeah, so that'd be fun to go look at. I guess I had a couple of coalies from Marnie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, see, I'd want some of those those fuzzy ones that I'm never washing. I'm never even put them somewhere for someone to get clean. I'm really bad at laundry.
Speaker 2: You send it the dry cleaner though. That's why I do anything that I'm scared of it, like getting messed up right to the dry cleaner. I take it off right when I get home, hang it right back up because I don't want to have to send it to be cleaned at all, because it loses like generations of wear. Yeah, but then every once in a while you got to send it in.
Speaker 1: I was in a rush here and didn't know what I was gonna wear. Was calling somebody and my son's in the car. My son's in the car, and he was like, okay, and I'd like to wear this old navy blue and white kind of floral jacket with blue and white Versace sneakers. And he had it all together and he was like this and this, are you gonna wear that? I was like, no, I'm not. I'm sorry, but it is good.
Speaker 2: Talk to me for a second about Versace. It's just too loud for me. Most of stuff from Versace I wouldn't like.
Speaker 1: But like one thing like I have, like sneakers, like all see that I really love. But if it was like print, you know, I think they make more. They make more beautiful, interesting stuff. I think the fashion house is more it's it's more women. You know, Versace's men's stuff isn't as strong as the as the women's and the accessories.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to be selling cocaine Miami. They need to be me if I'm worry Versace. Yeah, if I'm warning men's Versaca, I need to be like on a jet boat selling cocaine.
Speaker 1: Or like twenty fifteen in the Migos.
Speaker 2: Though fair enough so too, but I'm not that like me. I'm not. Well, look, I'm super pumped for you. Why'd you put Hockey Talking out last? Though? Of all these songs in this project? Actually, I mean I made it last, and that makes all the sense.
Speaker 1: Then hopefully you know, it's just be save the biggest bang for last. Yeah, I guess, And you know, I mean I want to get all my videos done for the project and everything and let people rock with stuff. Putting Country Star out first was definitely like I wanted to make it clear this is a new thing and get people to see that it's a you know, kind of a new world of music for Acto with Country Star first, And I think Hockey Talking is just like the nice bow to it to me was.
Speaker 2: That the most is that well, because it hasn't out yet as we're talking about it, but it will be by the time we're talking about it, So I guess I'm talking about it in present tents like it's already out, all right, I bet? Yeah? There are you with me? Yeah, I'm there?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Was this the most excited you wear of any of the songs to come out this project? I am really really excited about it.
Speaker 1: I was really excited about Country Star too, because I was like, yes, like I need people.
Speaker 2: To hear this. We named the whole thing after it. Yeah, I mean, you know, it's just it's just the world of it.
Speaker 1: But I think that this probably is the most exciting because people love it or hate it.
Speaker 2: And I already know that.
Speaker 1: I'm not even looking at the comment stuff yet, but like people love it and they're like, I love this creativity of this kid and like doing something brand new with something big that was put on him and doing a good job of it. And some people are going to be like hire arms rolling in the grave, you know, and that's uh, that's okay. It's okay because I had fun with it, and the people that rock with me, I think that they know it's a it's a.
Speaker 2: Super fun record. I'll tell you that. It's a hello all right, I'm gonna tell him he probably doesn't even remember that day. No, it wasn't like a very eventful day. I mean, it wasn't like both of us left going what a crazy day that was. I think the virility of that video ended up being bigger to me than I ever expected it, because it wasn't like some crazy moment. I was like, well, I tank he wants to go all right, He's got a big personality. That's his big personality. That's really how I felt about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've just been that. I've been around that for twenty eight years, so like I'm just I don't know. I didn't think anything of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell him, I sai Hello, okay, I'm sure will. I've never been less of a fan because of it, and people have asked that and it gets brought up occasionally, because that thing just continues to like live lives and I'm like love him just as much.
Speaker 1: As say, hey, Bobby Bone said, you know, you're welcome and if you can have a cigar, if you want one.
Speaker 2: You can have one anytime you want around me, have no problem with bring your own. Yes, yeah, Sam, good to me, you man, Thank you so much, Bobby, thank you. And so I'm not crazy. Your name it's a V in Williams right and on Instagram? Yeah, yeah, it's V in place of a A. Yeah, why'd you do that? Honestly, it was.
Speaker 1: A long time ago when I made that account of the account, and uh, it just felt cool to me.
Speaker 2: And me and my half brother Shelton aren't close.
Speaker 1: He's not close with a lot, and you know, I'm we're the same generation, except he's definitely a generation older than me. But technically, you know, we're both my dad's sons. And I think it met something like that to me then, But that's just how it is. So if I need to change my Instagram name, have.
Speaker 2: They told you to change the V to the A so people can find you? I don't care.
Speaker 1: They should just see my face and be like, oh, that's the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's clearly the guy. Times that pictures really little though, because when I was letting up all your stuff, I was like, is this him with a V on it? So then I had to go in.
Speaker 1: I said, I gotta be in black and white. Congratulations on the record, Thank you so much. Man, you feel good about it, like that's the win.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I need people to to rock with me and stream it, but it's about also finding your audience. It wasn't easy for me here to not be the same cut of cloth. That's the that's the more accepted deal.
Speaker 2: That's the deal.
Speaker 1: So you know it's risky, but uh, you know, hopefully worthwhile in the long run.
Speaker 2: Sam Williams with a V on Instagram. Sam Williams, Where the AA is so, Sam Wilm, Sam, good to see you, buddy.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production