Speaker 1: Hey, this is Stephen Ferdik. I'm the pastor of Elevation Church, and this is our podcast and I wanted to thank you for joining us today. Hope this inspires you.
Speaker 2: Hope it builds your faith.
Speaker 1: Hope it gives your perspective to see God is moving in your life.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the message.
Speaker 1: I believe the Lord has spoken to me and I want to share a message with you as another installment on our series Flip the Flow. And I look at each of these like they build on each other. The last time that I was speaking with you, I spoke about joy and the fullness of joy in the presence of the Lord, and now we're going to see not a description of that, but a demonstration of it from the scriptures. I just want to give you one verse and then you can be seated and we'll speak together today. But as you stand in reverence and respect for God's word. I'm welcome to all the locations. Thank God for all of you who are joining e groups today. Tell the person next to you you can't go to heaven unless you join any group. These are really great people. I can vouch for eighty percent of them. There's always a twenty percent weirdness factor in anything you do with large groups.
Speaker 2: But we try to screen them, vet them.
Speaker 1: They're not going to sell you pampered chef, essential oils or anything like that once they get you in the home, So it's not a timeshare presentation. Just want to help you grow in your relationship with the Lord. Not selling keto drinks, Just trying to help you build a foundation. John chapter two, verse eleven. Make sure you take advantage of that. It's there for you. It's there for you to grow in your faith. John two, verse eleven. What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory, and his disciples believed in him. One more time. Turn to your neighbor, give them my sermon title. Tell them you already know.
Speaker 2: Please be seated.
Speaker 1: Shout out to my brother Matt, who is stationed in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: He serves in the United States Force.
Speaker 1: Shout out to him because he put me on this documentary that I really enjoyed this week.
Speaker 2: It's called Fire, The Greatest Party that Never Happened.
Speaker 1: It's a documentary about one of the great scandals of our day in regards to entertainment and social media. The Fire Festival was created by Billy McFarlane and the legend Jah Rule. It was to be the ultimate luxury music experience on the private island of Ezuma in the Bahamas. It was to take place over the course of two weekends, one in April and the other in May of twenty seventeen. Some of the world's top models and social media influencers promoted the event simultaneously using the hashtag Fire Festival fire with a Y in case you go home and watch it. I'm not recommending movies from this pulpit, because I know how legalistic some of you are, and you'd be instagram messaging me about the bad words and this and that. I'm not saying you should watch it. I'm just saying it was awesome. And they put these orange tiles on Instagram all at the same time. And because it was people that have such clout, the festival sold out. The music festival sold out in forty eight hours. In forty eight hours, they sold tickets and day passes ranged from five hundred to fifteen hundred dollars, and then the luxury experience went up to twelve thousand dollars and some of the packages were reported to be two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for the luxury villas and stuff.
Speaker 2: And they put these beautiful.
Speaker 1: Pictures online of the festival, marketed toward millennials, and they showed the island. They said that they and formerly belonged to Pablo Escobar, and that you could come party like Pablo Escobar with Instagram models in bikinis, white sand, clear waters at the Fire Festival, and then you could get a luxury.
Speaker 2: Room villa. And they sketched that.
Speaker 1: But when the millennials arrived and descended upon the Bahamas, things were a little different than had been advertised. Turns out that our boy Billy and Ja a first name Bassis sold something that didn't necessarily exist in the same form that they advertised it. When the customers arrived to the Fire Festival in the Bahamas, they found disaster relief tents where the villas were supposed to be in gravel parking lots in the parking lot of a Sandals resort. Not to mention that instead of gourmet meals cooked by five star world class chefs, they found apparently cheese sandwiches in styrofoam boxes, and the festival never happened. The festival never happened. Many were stranded, according to the documentary, in the airport overnight without water. Twenty three year old kids who paid twelve thousand dollars to see Blink one E two serves them right found themselves stranded in the Bahamas with no fire festival. And one case study that I read that said, you know, now, Billy McFarland is in jail for wire fraud, but it was suggesting that this was the ultimate coldultural case study in Fomo that never have we seen, because people were so afraid that this would happen without them. The fear of missing out, which I don't struggle with as much.
Speaker 2: I don't struggle with.
Speaker 1: The fear of missing out more like for me, the fear of running out. That's more what I deal with. I'm a pretty lazy person. I'm pretty boring. I'm not lazy about the things that matter. But somebody's like, you know, there's a lunar eclipse tonight, and I'm like, eh, somebody will take a picture. You know, what time is it that ten forty five. I'll check it out tomorrow. You know, it's the ones in a lifetime. Think it'll be on YouTube. You know, that's kind of my thing. I'm finding miss out. But fear of running out, faux row, fomo, not so much faux row. Fear of running out I think about all the time. And that's why the documentary was visceral to me, because even though the guy was a scam artist, I guess because I guess because my fear in life is not having what I'm supposed to have and people show up expecting something that I can't give. Even in church, I'm always so nervous that I won't be able to get my energy up to the level that I need to get it to to connect with you, because sometimes you come in with very low energy. I'm just being honest, But I know you need a gourmet meal from the word of God, and I don't want to hand you a cheese sandwich and a styrofoam box. You know, I don't want you to show up with a Fema tint when you're expecting a villa and so.
Speaker 2: But I'm scared of this. I'm scared of running out all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm constantly scared like my creativity is going to run out because I need creativity to do what I do. And even in writing sermons, you're kind of saying the same things over and over again sometimes, and even though the Bible has a lot of interesting stories and letters, I'm scared, like, one time, maybe I'm opening my Bible and I won't be able to find a sermon, you know, And sometimes it gets late in the week, and I'm so scared of running out. When we write worship song, I'm always like, how many different ways can we say God?
Speaker 2: You're good?
Speaker 1: I trust you, you know, there's different ways. I'm not saying that God is simple. I'm just saying sometimes I'm like, oh, can we write another song can be appreciate. I'm scared of running out of time. I always feel like I don't have enough time. Always feel like like I'm gonna run out of time raising my kids. I'm scared to dead that I won't get everything instilled in them in the time they're in my house, and then they will end up on a therapist couch too fifty an hour because something I didn't teach them, or Abby is gonna marry some jerk because maybe I didn't teach her what a man should be like, because I don't know how to fix cars, and since she never saw me fix cars, she's gonna end up, you know, on the corner. I'm scared about this stuff. I'm scared like that they're gonna leave. I know it's dark, right, and I'm scared that I'm gonna I'm gonna send my kids out and they're not gonna have what they need for the world because I ran out of time to give it to them. I'm scared then I'm gonna run out of money. I'm more scared now then I'm gonna run out of money than I was when I was twenty two and we didn't have any money. I can't figure out how. The more we got of it, the more I started to depend on it, and now it consumes more of your time. You think you'll get to an amount of money where you'll no longer be scared of running out. All money is going to do is create more obligations. All more money is going to do is create a bigger lifestyle. And now you will need more money to create the lifestyle, so you really won't lose the fear of running out. It will just be on a larger scale and you'll have more to lose. I'm so scared of running out. Fomo not so much. Fro yo.
Speaker 2: Never liked this stuff, fou roh.
Speaker 1: So when they got there and they didn't have it, I was like John chapter two. That's how my mind works, the fear of running out. What if I don't have what they need? What if I can't be who they need? Any new parents? Any new parents? Yeah you don't. You don't have what those kids need. It's gonna have to come from God. Please believe me. Did you figure this out yet? Have you already got the baby or you're expecting or what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Over there?
Speaker 1: Any kids? You just came here to get a break?
Speaker 2: Is this your date?
Speaker 1: This is a good way to do a date, by the way, wasn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Freak ch out here.
Speaker 1: Now you you gotta understand. This was the first sign. Jesus did way more signs than John puts in his gospel. And he uses the word sign, not miracle, because he believes it's pointing to something deeper. That's what a sign does. That's why that says exit because of the door. The sign is worthless if that's just a wall. It's pointing to something. And when you see things in Scripture a lot of times you're going to see it on a natural level, but then it's going to point to something beneath the surface, like life does. Like there are things going on in your life right now that are trying to.
Speaker 2: Point you to something deeper.
Speaker 1: There are things you're experiencing in your life right now, but the surface is not the story.
Speaker 2: There is a deeper meaning for it.
Speaker 1: And so John says in his gospel that if he were to write down everything that Jesus did, he said, the world would not have room for the books that would be written.
Speaker 2: This was before Wikipedia.
Speaker 1: Now you could put it all out there, but at the time he said, if I wrote it all down, I'd run out of room.
Speaker 2: So he chose to number seven.
Speaker 1: It's the number that represents completion in the Bible, and it's the days of the week. The world was created in seven days. It's a symbolic number in the Bible. Seven is all over the Bible. He uses the number seven, and he puts in the Bible seven signs that Jesus performed.
Speaker 2: To point to who he was.
Speaker 1: Everything that God does for you is to point to who.
Speaker 2: He wants to be to you.
Speaker 1: And if you only live at the level of what he does for you, but miss what he is trying to point to that he wants to be to you. You can receive resource from the Lord without revelation of the Lord who gave the resource. And if your attachment is to the resource, then you will always run out at some point. If your attachment is to the revelation, you will always know who he is. And so whatever you need, he can be, because he is the Great. I am shout about it for five seconds so I can move on. Seven signs he says. He says, I'm gonna give you seven. I'm gonna give you seven. The second sign that Jesus did in John's Gospel is when he in John chapter four he healed a royal official son. In John chapter five, he healed a man at the pool of Bethesda who had been lame for thirty eight years and was waiting for the angel to stir.
Speaker 2: Up the water.
Speaker 1: But Jesus came on the scene and said, you don't have to wait for somebody to stir up the water.
Speaker 2: The living water has come to you.
Speaker 1: And since you can't move and you're sitting by this pool, I'm going to bring to you what you could not get for yourself.
Speaker 2: He flipped the flow. He flipped the flow.
Speaker 1: I could preciate this series for another year and not exhaust all the times that Jesus flipped the flow. In fact, in John chapter six, this was the fourth sign that Jesus recorded in John's Gospel. Jesus was looking at some hungry people, and a little boy had a styrofoam box with a cheese sandwich and jeez fish and loaves.
Speaker 2: But I'm modernized here.
Speaker 1: Jesus took it and blessed it, and broke it and gave it to them, and they all they went from hungry to full. They went from hungry.
Speaker 2: To a kid.
Speaker 1: In another bite, they went from hungry. Would you like to see the dessert menu? No, I'm full. That was the sign in John chapter six. In John chapter six, Jesus also walked out.
Speaker 2: On water to his disciples.
Speaker 1: He had sent them to the other side, but they encountered a storm. And what was really most important wasn't what was on the other side, but what they went through to get there. Because when they went through the storm, it gave him an opportunity to reveal who he was in a way that they couldn't have seen if they didn't go through the storm.
Speaker 2: So he's trying to get us to see you see the sign.
Speaker 1: He's trying to get you to see that the storm points to something that is deeper than what you can see on the surface. To show you that the power of God on the inside of you is greater than the wind that blows against you. He gives them a sign. In John chapter nine, he heals a man born blind. The man didn't do anything to be blind, his parents didn't do anything to make him blind. Jesus said this was to reveal the glory of God. He is using something that the man can't see to show the man something that physical eyes cannot It's a sign. He's trying to show something deeper until John chapter eleven, when he shows the ultimate sign that foreshadows the very work that he came to do. When he shows up at lazarus house late after Lazarus has died, misses his healing appointment and tells him come out of the tomb because he had to show them. You've seen me as a healer, but now it's time for a deeper expression of your understanding of me. Because even when I don't show up when you want me to show up in your life, I already have in mind what I'm going to do. And even if they've wrapped you in graveclothes and buried you, if you have the faith to come forth, I can still speak a word that will bring you out of any situation, because I am the resurrection and the life. Somebody shot God, give me a sign. Just wanted a sign, So Jesus gave him a sign. So what was the first one? Those were the six, but the first one was And I know some of you, some of you already know. Some of you really really really really really know your Bible. And when I said John chapter two, you were like water into wine, you know, and you're right. But if you would have shouted out, I would have ruined my setup because you already know. But you know, sometimes we have the curse of knowledge and we think we know something and we.
Speaker 2: Do know it at the surface.
Speaker 1: But why did Jesus turn water into wine? And I'm going to show you, And this is so powerful God, I'm excited. I hadn't had this much fun preaching in a long time as I'm having today. I think it's the dnum. Holly said, I don't wear enough color up here, so I like black. It's slimmy. Dark colors. Dark colors. Now go back to John chapter two, verse one, somebody shall flip it. Jesus shows up on the third day at a wedding which took place in Cana in Galilee. This is a small place, not necessarily an important place, but nevertheless, Jesus's mother was there at a wedding, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, the miracle started. You missed it when they ran out of what they brought, when they ran out of what they planned for, which to us would not.
Speaker 2: Be the biggest deal.
Speaker 1: You know, you run out of wine at a wedding, and it's probably a good thing because you got crazy family members and when they drink too much, they start fighting any way, and one of them ends up in jail. But in this culture, it was the epitome of dishonor to invite a guest and to not be able to provide. And this wedding was not a you know how we do a wedding and it's like forty minutes and then in a reception.
Speaker 2: This was more like the fire festival. It was supposed to last a week.
Speaker 1: The wedding would last a week, and everybody showed up expecting that at whatever point they showed up at the wedding there would still be something to drink, that there would still you know, to show up at a wedding and there to be no wine. It was actually recorded that if the groom, who was responsible to make sure that the wedding went off right, if he did not provide everything that necessity required, he could be sued by his mother in law. You thought you had family drama, right, but Jesus shows up at the wedding and they run out of wine. Now, I don't want to skip over this. What have you run out of? What are you running out of?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: What are you constantly afraid of running out of? Is it wisdom?
Speaker 2: Is it peace? Is it ideas?
Speaker 1: Are you out of ideas for how to fix a relationship? Are you out of ideas for how to reach a level of success that you thought you would have been at four years ago? What are you running out of? What have you run out of? The worst thing is the run out of gas when you're the one driving. The worst thing is for people to show up to your kitchen and all you have is cheese and brand. The worst thing is when you know that people expect something of you because some of you you're the life of the party, some of you you're the strong one. Some of you you are the one that people come to with their problems, and they don't know you are sick of being the place where they dump their crap. You got your own sewage, and I keep backing up and dumping more on you, and they don't even know how close you are to quitting. And you're running out. And that's why I like this, because you don't have to say it out loud. I'll say it for you. Everybody in here is running out of something not wine. How about joy? How about how? How about how you haven't been happy in a long time? How about that the last time I was up here, I preached on joy. Did you hear that sermon? It sounds like it meant a lot to you. Praise the Lord? Why do I do this? Were you here when I preached on joy? Well, since since wine represents joy, I thought it'd be good to stay in this flow. But Jesus comes to the wedding and he's a guest. But he's about to provide what the host could not provide. Why he did not come to demand righteousness. He came to provide righteousness. He flipped the flow. The first thing Jesus did was to take away the shame of a couple who had run out of what they were unable to provide. That's the first thing he does when he comes in your life. He doesn't just expose your shame. He doesn't just come to condemn you. He doesn't just come to point out everything that's wrong with you. He says, I didn't come just to show you your shame. I came to take it away. Look the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Oh I'm happy about it. I need the Lord in my life because because I'm so I'm so scared I'm gonna run out. And yet the Bible says that Jesus didn't do anything about it. He let it run out. He let it run out, He let it happen like he often will do. Until watsh this. When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, they gotta imagine the wine's really important at the wedding. This is not the first person who has discovered that it's gone. They probably had many discussions and there's probably been a lot of finger pointing. That's one thing on that documentary I watch, everybody was saying it was everybody's fault. Everybody was pointing. Everybody was pointing at somebody else. Well, we didn't know what, we didn't know, what we didn't know? How did you not know? That's what we wanted to know, is how did you not know? But Jesus's mother knew something. Rather, she knew someone, and she did something interesting. She didn't go to the wedding planner. She didn't go to the couple Jesus's mother when the wine was gone, Jesus's mother married. Did you know? Yes, she knew, she knew, She didn't know what to do, but she knew who to go to.
Speaker 2: I'm gona preach this message today.
Speaker 1: I'm coming for it today because you don't know what to do right now, right but if you know who to go to and see a lot of the reason you've been running out is because you've been running around to people who don't have what you need. They don't have it, they can't give it, They got their own stuff. They're running dry too. But if you go to the man from Galilee, if you go to the one whose name is life. She came to Jesus and said they have no more wine. She didn't tell him about the solution. She just told him the need. She just told him what he already knew. I promise you he already knew. How do I know he already knew because he was the word from the beginning. If he spoke the grapes onto the vine, he certainly knew that they didn't bring enough. I know he knew because in John chapter six, when he turned the Little Boy's value pack Chick fil a value pack, when he turned it into a buffet all you can eat buffet, he asked Philip, what are we gonna do about this? And Philip was an accountant, so Philip was like, if we did, the Times doesn't carry the one ton can't do it. But the Bible says, give me John sixty six. I know I didn't use it in the last one, but I want to use it because these people want it. They really really wanted. These people are hungry, These people want the word of God. He asked this only to test him, for he already knew. He already knew what he was gonna do. How cool is that? You mean? I'm coming before God praying a lot of times, and I'm like, like, I'm God's administrative assistant, you know, Like, Lord, just reminding you about that appointment you missed last week when I asked you to help me with the thing and I told you to fix them. You didn't fix them, So just putting it back on your calendar if you get around to it. Lord, he's you know, if you get because you know, and then this other thing over here blah blah blah blah blah. And lately I've been praying like this. You already know. I know, you know, I know you know. That's why Mary went to Jesus, even though it wasn't his job. He was just a guest at the wedding, but she knew what was in him because he had been in her. And when Christ is in you and you are in Christ, you already know how many of you you already know that God will do it, You just don't know how. Okay, that's all Mary knew. Mary, did you know? Mary be like, Yeah, I knew he would, but I didn't know how he would.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't know how.
Speaker 1: But see, every need in your life is pointing you to a deeper source. Every sign that John recorded was pointing to something deeper. Every need that you experience in your life is pointing you to a deeper place in God that you can access, a deeper place of strength, a deeper place of confidence, a deeper place of health, a deeper place of relationship, a deeper place of dependence. Everything is pointing to something deeper. So when she said they have no more wine, Jesus responded, and I don't recommend this as like something to say to your mom or your wife Verse four, Woman, why do you involve me? That's not like a great marriage seminar Love Languages verse. But she didn't tell Jesus the need to inform him like we do. She didn't pray like a ritual in God, bless me today as I go to the thing and after the thing, and God just let me go through my list and worry about it and say that I'm praying, But really all I'm doing is worrying out loud with my eyes closed. She wasn't. She wasn't doing it to inform him. She was doing it to involve him because she knew if he gets involved, I don't know what he'll do, but I know who he is. Now, I'm gonna need you to shout right now if you know who he is. Come on, Blakeney, don't be quiet. I know you love the Lord. I need you to shout right now. If you know who he is, I know who to go to. I lift my eyes to the hill and his mother watched this. His mother goes to him. He says to his mother, my woman, I'm gonna start talking to Holliday woman, you know, help them with their homework. Woman, you involve me. That's my favorite verse this year. I'm gonna use that luck this year. Well, I'm in why you involve me? Jesus My hour is not yet come. He's talking about the cross, but she needs him to do something right now. Some of us have things that we need God to do. Now. We really do we need him now? Yeah, I'm going to heaven when I die. And yeah, there's a white horse that I read about in the Book of Revelation, the Book of Revelations, and people put an ass on it. Book of Revelations, Walmarts Revelations. Yeah, it's great, But how about now? And so watch what she does. She doesn't argue, she doesn't convince, she doesn't beg In fact, she doesn't talk to Jesus anymore. She turns away from Jesus, points to the people who are working at the wedding, and verse five, she said to the servants, do whatever he tells you, because if you start moving in faith, he's gonna do something. I don't know why he didn't tell me. I don't know the details, I don't know the plan. I went to a wedding planner. This isn't even my party. But if you'll start moving, if you'll start obeying, if you'll take a step, you're gonna see something. I say, sign and and she said, do whatever he tells you.
Speaker 2: Now, I know what you're thinking. I already know. I already know. I already know what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: I would if I knew what do.
Speaker 2: You wanted me to do?
Speaker 1: I would? I would, you know, do whatever he tells you to do. That's such a great thing to say on Sunday morning. How about about this this this apartment that I'm living in right now, and I don't know whether I should move out of this apartment and you know, we get really weird sometimes too. Write like people do all kinds of stuff and say that God told them to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple of yard new to church.
Speaker 1: There's probably one of these weird people within like three rows of you that God has to tell them what color to wear in the morning. It's it's it's paralyzing, you know. And and they'll make stuff up. It's like a cognitive bias thing as well. It's like, well, I was praying about, you know, whether I should date him, and then I went and and uh, I went to elevation and Pastor Steve he was preaching on a best Steve he's preaching on he's preaching on John and his name. The guy's name is James, and it's close. They both start with Jay. So I'm gonna dat him right. It's a sign. And but sometimes the way God speaks, it's like the Lord was saying to me the other day because I was praying about, you know, I don't know whether to do this or that, and and I know you have situations that are nuanced, and I really don't like preaching that doesn't respect nuance. I really think it's in some ways it's misleading for people to say, you know, it's just simple, do whatever he tells.
Speaker 2: You to do, because sometimes I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: And sometimes I don't know if I should take the job and make a little more money, but it's gonna take me away from my family more.
Speaker 2: But I need to be here for my kids.
Speaker 1: But I also need to be able to send them to college in four years, and I need to be able to provide for him.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of caught between.
Speaker 1: I don't really know what he wants me to do because I can't find a Bible verse about whether I should live in Atlanta or Charlotte.
Speaker 2: You know, but let me just say something.
Speaker 1: There's traffic in both cities, and there's problems in both cities, and there's ups and downs to both cities. You know, where am I going to go to college? I see a wing Get shirt over there. Where am I going to go to college? You know, you can live for the lord at Wingott or at Wafford. You could live for the lord either place. It's not as important. I mean, go where the scholarship money is. Or if there's no scholarship money, you know, go but it's more important what kind of friends you make the first week of college than it is, whether it's Winget or Wafford. Can I preach a little bit civil Lord was speaking to me. I was like, if I knew what to do, I would do it. And God said, if you would do what you knew, you see the flip. You see the flip because I'm waiting for new information from God. And God is like, all right, what do you already know? I'm speaking to somebody today who has run out and you don't know what to do, and you don't have the wisdom, you don't have the experience, you don't have that. I don't know. I didn't. You know, it's really hard to do something you don't have a context for. But if you would do what you knew, what do you already know? I mean, I know for one that gratitude is the gateway to joy, so much so that I bought a I bought a journal and put it by my bed. It's a gratitude journal. It's orange like everything else in this church, and like God's favorite team, the Clemson Tigers, who he has anointed with the fresh oil of yet another national championship for the glory of his name his kingdom.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 1: Some of y'all look like you hate me right now. But I find out the Gratitude Journal doesn't bless me if I don't open it and write in it. And I already know that, but I hadn't touched it in seven months, and it's got dust on it. And then I'm going to go to God at some point, praying that he'll help me to feel joy. But I already knew what to do. I didn't do it. I got seventeen books on my kindle that I bought last year that I read one chapter of. I probably don't need to buy another book this year, and you might not either. I'm serious. I'm a preach till us so quiet that you think we is elevation press material and Episcopalian cemetery service. Look at me. You know enough right now? I promise you do. I promise you do. You know enough right now to be physically fit. I'm just saying you might not need Men's Fitness with Hugh Jackman's workout to do some push ups and to take less calor. But but we're addicted to knowledge. We're addicted to you know, Ah, if I knew what to do, if I knew, if I knew, if I could do this diet over here, and I heard about this and this celebrity diet, and I gotta do this thing. I heard about this uh kombucha.
Speaker 2: If I drink that, then my gut will be held.
Speaker 1: You know you already know. Touch somebody and say you already know. You know push ups, you know sit ups, you already know. Get a trainer if you want, But the trainer will not transform you. If you if you know what to do and you do what you know, you will know what to do. Come on, God, I don't need you to clarify. I need you to give me courage to do what I knew that I didn't do last time. I knew I needed to humble myself. I knew I needed. Some of us know exactly what we need to do, but we don't want to do it. So we want to pile more knowledge on top of the last thing we didn't do that he gave us to do. Wow, I'm preaching, mom.
Speaker 2: They might not come back next week, but I'm preaching.
Speaker 1: I'm preaching because there's three things that Jesus points to.
Speaker 2: And I want to give.
Speaker 1: This to you because I believe that God already knows. Somebody say, he already knows. I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you, not to harm you. But there's something that you don't know that you can't know. It is not in the knowing, but in the doing that the miracle happens. Praise God. Did you feel this word? Man?
Speaker 2: It might be just for you. God might have gave me this message just for you. I don't doubt it. He's that good.
Speaker 1: Do you believe that he would put this in me just for you?
Speaker 2: I do so.
Speaker 1: I was noticing the details because his mother said, do whatever he tells you to do, and don't do what everybody else tells you to do, because you spend all your energy doing what everybody else tells you to do, and then not have the strength to do the thing God called you to do, saying yes to everything else. But what God gave you to do, do whatever he tells you to do, and so listen. So Jesus, he wasn't reluctant to get involved. He just needed their involvement, and he tells him to do something.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 1: In verse six, it says nearby stood six stone water jars.
Speaker 2: What kind of jars?
Speaker 1: Stonewater jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing. They were common, They were there for a common purpose, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
Speaker 2: They were big. That's a big goal. In fact, by.
Speaker 1: The time they did what he said in verse seven, Jesus said, the servants filled the jars with water. So they filled them to the brim, which would have made one thousand bottles of wine, more than they needed. Because he's a god of more than enough. He is a god of more than enough. It's not that he doesn't have it. It's that we're so busy pointing to what's not there that we miss what is.
Speaker 2: And that's why we got to flip the flow.
Speaker 1: And the Bible says that not even knowing what would happen when they did it, because they needed wine. But he points to water. He doesn't point to what they need. He points to what they have. And then he told them, now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.
Speaker 2: They did so. They did it. They just bid it. They had a nike uh mentality.
Speaker 1: They just did it. Swoosh, I'm looking for a sponsorship I'm just trying to work this in, trying to get us some money for the expansion program. They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the one that had been turned the water that had been turned into one. Now he tasted the product, but he did not understand the process. He didn't know. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants knew. Touch somebody who say, you already know. You know who knows what God is doing in the earth today, those who serve him, not just those who come and sip, but those who serve those who involved. I want to thank God for every volunteer in this church, for everybody who served something today, for every e group leader in this church. I thank God for you, because you already know that it's more blessed to give than receive. Not those who sit, but those who serve.
Speaker 2: That's who God blesses the most. Amen.
Speaker 1: He did not realize where it did come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, you flipped the flow, because everybody brings out the choice wine first, and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink. That's the way the world works. It's good for a little while and then it runs out. He said, you did it different. It got better and better and sweeter and sweeter. I've come to tell you your best days are not behind you. God is not like that. He didn't let you run out because he left you. He let it run out so he could give you something better than what you brought to the party to begin with. Yeah, you flipped the flow. You have saved first ten, the best till now. But how did he do it? How did he? How did he do it? Because everything you're running out of in your life today is in Jesus, It's in him. But there's three things I want to show you, and we'll go quickly, quickly, quickly. Number One, it's not going to be in the places you expect it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's going to be Number one, nearby.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be by you moving to a new situation or thinking that your solution is out there somewhere. It's not going to be distant. It's going to be nearby. Verse six, Where were the stone water jars? Pay attention to the details.
Speaker 2: Nearby?
Speaker 1: Where is the help that God has given you for the shortage in your life. It's nearby. It's nearby. The reason we don't see what's nearby is because when something is close, we see it as common. These were stone jars made of earth. They were leak proof so that they wouldn't be ceremonially unclean. But there was nothing gold plated about them. These were not iced out jars. That's not what made them special. What was special was what was inside. But they didn't have to go, you know, Jesus right here could have been like the disciples go to town.
Speaker 2: You got to get some one.
Speaker 1: But the thing about Cana is in the middle of nowhere, so they can't go get anything. So they have to use something nearby. I wonder what's nearby that if you pour yourself into it, God can flow again through your life. It's nearby. It's so close. Like remember they all came in the party and wash their hands. So the miracle was in something that they had already walked by to get to the party. The miracle is in something that you're walking by every day. It's in a Bible reading plan that you already started, but you just quit it and.
Speaker 2: You can pick it back up.
Speaker 1: The wisdom that you need might be in the wife that you chose to do life with six years ago, but you don't want to listen to her because she's nearby. So I will see men go to conferences to learn how to be a better man, but they won't even listen to their own wife because they don't want to be humble. I'm telling you it's nearby. It's not out there. That's not where the provision is. It's not somewhere out there. It's nearby. It's gonna be so close you'll miss it if you're not careful. It's gonna be so close you walk in. I'll tell you it's something that you're walking by right now. You've been praying for it. It's an orange gratitude journal, this right there on your bed. It's an exercise plan that you already know to do. It's gonna be nearby, and it's gonna be normal. That's the second thing. It's gonna be normal. It's not gonna feel so supernatural. It's gonna feel natural, and then it's gonna be super But you can't wait for something special. You've got to embrace something normal. We have this treasure in earth and vessels, that the excellency of the power might be from God and not from us, is coming through something normal. It's gonna be normal. It's gonna be habits, it's gonna be discipline. It's gonna be normal. God, use me go home and have dinner with your family. It's gonna be normal. It's not gonna be exciting. It's not gonna be sexy. It's not gonna be Instagram models in bikinis on the beach. It's gonna be normal. It's gonna be normal. Tell somebody's gonna be normal. Tell them it's gonna be natural. But it's gonna be super. When God gets done with normal what happens on the inside of what looks normal on the outside, God is doing something in me. And I wonder what you've been walking by because it looks normal. You don't even notice it because it's nearby and it's normal, and it's now Jesus said, now, verse ay, now, everybody say now, not after I've explained it to you. Now he didn't tell them. Now, when you draw it out, it's gonna start to turn purple like when you stir the kool aid, and it's gonna it's gonna be a fermentation process and we're gonna molecular structure is going Let me draw it up for you, guys. This is okay, everybody, Come on in, Come on in, guys. Now, I know you don't know what I'm gonna do, but I already know. I know you don't know why I'm telling you to do this. But I know I know you don't know why I'm telling you to forgive. But I know what I want to do that I can't do in your life if you have a clogged heart. So do it now now now. Faith is a substance of things hoped for, and Jesus never points to what's next without dealing with what's now. Now, draw it out now. I could imagine he could. He could have gone around the whole party. You should have planned better and you should have known better. But he didn't do any of that. Because he didn't point to what they should have done. It doesn't do any good. He points to what it is now. Now, even though you've run, even though even though you could have done better, I'm gonna tell you could have done better.
Speaker 2: Job. You need to fire your wedding planner.
Speaker 1: I hope you didn't give her too much of a deposit, because she really screwed this up. But now that's actually what Mary and Martha said to Jesus when he showed up for Lazarus. If you would have been here, our brother would not have died. But even now, I feel the power of now on this word today, now, now, now, now, now now, because the truth is, you might be running out of time, and Jesus only had three years on earth. It didn't crazy think about this. I'm almost done, y'all got like five more minutes? Or am I out of time? I don't know how to receive that tepid encouragement. I guess go if you need to go. I'm gonna talk to who wants to hear this last part. I just study too much to get up here and let a clock tell me when to quit, because I because I I know what it feels like to be empty. I've been there in my own life, you know, just dry and empty, and ah can if another person asked me if I don't even want to do it. But but but there's something significant, not only about what Jesus did water interwine the law into the spirit.
Speaker 2: We could preach about that. We will one day that he did.
Speaker 1: It in a ceremonial jar and it was an idea, the fact that the ceremonial washings of Moses were now being replaced by the blood that would be shed. That's all in there. It's a sign. Its pointing to a lock. But why did he do it in Cana? Why did he show his glory in Cana? And to understand this, we need to meet Nathaniel. Because Nathaniel was a disciple who came to Jesus. Guess who brought him by the way, Philip, the one who Jesus said, where are we gonna get the bread from?
Speaker 2: But he already knew, I promise you he.
Speaker 1: Already knows, but he's just trying to make sure that you know where it comes from.
Speaker 2: And Philip brought Nathaniel to Jesus pick it up.
Speaker 1: In forty five, Philip found Nathaniel and told him, yeah, you can start playing.
Speaker 2: It'll hurry me along.
Speaker 1: He found Nathaniel and told him, we have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. There were four hundred and fifty six different expectations of the Jewish Messiah, and Philip was doing the math, you know, carry the one.
Speaker 2: It's like it was, and he said, I think this is him. I think so. I'm not sure, but I think. Come see.
Speaker 1: And Nathaniel starts trying to figure it out based on what he can understand. He's like, did you say Nazareth that hick town? Said nazare Monk's corner. See, I'm used to being from a place that people don't respect. When you say the name of it, Nazareth, can anything good come from there? And Nathaniel asked the question, and Philip said, I can't answer that, but you can come see now watch this.
Speaker 2: That's where it gets good.
Speaker 1: When Jesus saw Nathaniel, I always preach John chapter two, thinking that verse one is where it started on the third day Jesus went to Cana, But it started before that.
Speaker 2: When Jesus saw Nathaniel approaching.
Speaker 1: He said of him, here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit. Now Nathaniel was kind of creeped out Verse forty eight. He said, how do you know me? We have met? How do you how do you know?
Speaker 2: He said?
Speaker 1: I know what's in you, he said. But you don't know me, he said, but I know what's in you. One time, when Elijah was little, he would walk around the house.
Speaker 2: How old was he? Two three?
Speaker 1: He'd walk around the house going, how do you know my name? How do you know my name? How do you know my name? I think he heard it on a TV show and I thought that was so bizarre. You know, he'd walk up, walk up to me and Holly, how do you know my name? How do you know my name? I said, Because I made you, because I gave you your name. I know who you are. I know what's in you. Jesus looks at Nathaniel len he knows what's in him because Nathaniel came from him.
Speaker 2: Now watch this.
Speaker 1: This is so important for everybody who spends a lot of time feeling like that what's against you is greater than what's in you. I want you to know that God already knows what's against you, and he already knows what's in you.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 1: He already knows what's against you, and he already knows what's in you.
Speaker 2: He said, I.
Speaker 1: I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you, and Nathaniel said, you saw me, Rabbi. You are the son of God, you are the King of Israel. You hadn't even met me yet, and you saw me before I was called. You mean you saw me in this situation before I was even in it. You saw me in this dry place before it even stopped raining. You saw me in this dumb decision. You saw me in this divorce, You saw me in this low place.
Speaker 2: Said yeah, I saw you.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have put you in it if I didn't put it in you. You've got it in you, and you will not run out, and will not run out, and it will not run out. You will accomplish your purpose. You will fulfill you will complete your assignment. It is in you.
Speaker 2: I love Jesus.
Speaker 1: He said, you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree.
Speaker 2: You will see greater things than that.
Speaker 1: And then they went to Cana so Jesus could show Nathaniel what he just told him. I am the one who flips the floor. I am the one come on, get happy, who gets grace for same. I am the one who turns rejection into blessing. I am the resurrection. I am the life. Your struggle is a sign, your setback is a sign. Your secrets are a sign. God is with you. It is in you. Come on, release a sound of raise in the plane. I set releases out of rays in the place, and you will not run out. You will not run out. You might not have any wine, but if you have the one who can start the water, you will never lack. You will make it and you will a savement. It saves us name well. I hope you enjoyed the podcast today. If you did, there are just a couple of things I'd love for you to do. Number One, subscribe to our show. That way, the most recent episode will always be in your feed, waiting for you, ready when you are. And Secondly, if this ministry has impacted you and you'd like to help us continue to reach others, you can click the link in the description and you can give now and I'll see you next time on the Elevation Podcast