Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Hol On ahead.
Speaker 3: He got jacked.
Speaker 4: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 5: Terry's Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into the back.
Speaker 2: Deal the Rage.
Speaker 4: It's brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert. Right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in.
Speaker 5: Valves Water Crab by Trey McBride.
Speaker 4: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: All Right, Sea, its rising Uard.
Speaker 2: Jump you, rising vision, Flurry Rage, take it Ober.
Speaker 1: Here's Paul CALVICI.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready. And Darren Urban, how about this Urban kid right.
Speaker 6: The field.
Speaker 1: You know, as much as I despised Shakespeare in college as an English undergrad, I love a good Shakespearean tragedy in football, especially when it happens to the opponent. And that is why we are gathered here today for this very special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage. Presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert Miracle in the Desert. That is the title of tonight's episode, as we hit the rewind button and go back into Cardinals history all time anecdotes, as we like to say, Cardinals folktales where you can't spell the word history without the word story. Paul calvic Here, Darren Urban was there covered the game back in two thousand and three. This is the rare game, Darren, where it was best remembered for what both teams did not get. The Vikings do not get a playoff Berth, the Cardinals did not get the first pick in the draft. About this season finale two thousand and three.
Speaker 7: This is true.
Speaker 8: I hadn't really thought about it that but but you know, you going negative doesn't really surprise me that much, Paul.
Speaker 1: Look, the real winner was a team that wasn't in the game.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's true that Green Bay Packers got to the playoffs because of that result, and they they did feel like winners that day. And Nate Poole can attest to that because he ended up in Green Bay a week later at the playoff game.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's by far the highlight of Nate Poole's career.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're gonna learn.
Speaker 1: In fact, you tell us since you where were you, by the way, for Nate Pool's shining moment? Were you still in the press pot?
Speaker 8: In those days, all the reporters would gather in the corner of the end zone, and we were down on the end of the field that the Cardinals scored upon. We were just on the other side. So we were down there in the between the back line, the back of the goal line, in about the ten yard line, watching this unfold. Couldn't see exactly obviously because it was on the far sideline the catch, but you could hear the crowd explode. I was down there when you know, Josh McCown was pleading to the official to give them the call when they were going to the replay. I remember that very distinctly because we were on the field by then and it was just it was an amazing end to what turned out to be Dave McGinnis's career as the head coach, and obviously it was a springboard to them getting Larry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of change after this game. Going into the game, though, I mean, what were the odds the Cardinals had a chance to really win a game when they hadn't won a game in nearly two months, and the Vikings needed the game to clinch a playoff spot.
Speaker 8: Well, the funny thing is is, not only did anybody think the Cardinals really had a chance, but even if they lost, it didn't look real good for them to get the number one overall pick. They needed a couple of bad teams to win, and it wind up working out that way if they had had lost. But then again, you know, the Vikings came in. I'm guessing they were a little overconfident.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I remember watching the game from the press box thinking to myself, they don't look like they're ready to put this team away. The Vikings don't look like they're ready to put the Cardinals away. And those Cardinal teams were not good, but they did give effort. And you had a lot of guys out there playing for the first time or very inexperienced Josh McCown, Reggie Wells. I mean, you go down the list and they just didn't give up. Now, they needed some bounces there at the end, for sure, but the fact they were even in shouting distance of the game never should have happened.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a full recap here because it really is gripping. I mean, the first three quarters of the game not so much, but it was seventeen to six Vikings with under seven minutes to play. Then just after the two minute warning it's a one score game. You need the on sidekick. Neil Rackers, right, he was a master at making the ball do different things. He had that soccer background, and then things just got really crazy from there. I mean, with all due respect to a young Dave Patch behind the mic, it's the rare game where the truly memorable radio calls came from a the losing team and be the team that really benefited two time zones away who needed a Cardinals win more than the Cardinals did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's definitely some memorable calls. With all due respect to Dave, I don't know if he ranks in the top two there, but it was an amazing time all the way around, just because of how it ended and what it meant and just the memories of that game and for Josh mccount and aatepool.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna hear how it all unfolded in real time at the time two thousand and three. Heck, it was a holiday season and the Cardinals rock team Santa Colors, right, red, white and black. So this was their own gift, their own parting gift of the home fans. And when we come back in this very special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage, we'll hear it for ourselves. Miracle in the Desert presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. And welcome back into our special Cardinals Folk Tales edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan.
Speaker 3: Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: We're in rewind into Cardinals history because remember, you can't spell the word history without the word story, and boy do we have one. From the final week of the regular season two thousand and three, Cardinals were hosting the Vikings and the Cardinals had exactly nothing to play for beyond the number one pick, which they would secure with the loss. The nine and six Vikings came in. Remember they had started six and oh that season, but their playoff hopes were on the line. They needed a win to secure a postseason berth and the week before they had already cooed KC forty five to twenty. That was a Kansas city team that went thirteen and three in two thousand and three. So with that in mind, not many gave the Cardinals a chance. But as quarterback of the time, Josh McCown would say, later, Hey, you've been around coach McGuinness. He can make any game feel like the Super Bowl. And that would be foreshadowing because coach McGinnis, who was great with the media, also had a great comparison between the two receivers on the field that day who were college teammates once upon a time at Marshall. We'll hear that a little bit later, but the Cardinals were talking about Nate Poole thirty six career games in the NFL. He managed a total of thirty four career catches and two touchdowns, but at the end of his brief time in the NFL, only one of those thirty four receptions truly mattered. It got him a key to a city, It got him a personalized phone call from a mayor. It got him a local TV commercial all in the city of Green Bay. So with that as the background, let's hit that rewind button to Miracle in the Desert. It's the final week of two thousand and three. This season finale that would end the year for two teams.
Speaker 5: The count throwing far side into the end zone and.
Speaker 2: The ball is touchdown, Turtles.
Speaker 10: An unbelievable turn of evnch Not here at lambeau Field, but in the desert, you would.
Speaker 3: Have thought we won Suit Bowl. I mean, it was an unbelievable moment.
Speaker 1: The Vikings are.
Speaker 2: Going home for the new year.
Speaker 11: You just don't lose like that. Nobody loses like that. Let alone to Nathan Poole.
Speaker 3: And they pulls a good person to make that play. He deserves it.
Speaker 1: Not one other Minnesota Vikings are even moving right now.
Speaker 12: You lose a game and it opens the door for your worst enemy.
Speaker 9: The Packers not only make the playoffs, they're going to be host of the game.
Speaker 3: It was that if the sun fell out of the sky.
Speaker 12: You know, it was a miserable day of existence.
Speaker 1: Time that two teams played one game that stop time in three cities was a Cardinals receiver in or out of bounds? Were the Vikings and Packers in or out of the playoffs? Who would be drafting one, two, and three? All dictated by a Cardinals win that some viewed as a loss.
Speaker 5: I think even the fans were like, man, let's just get this season over and get the number one pick walk away with the Eli manning.
Speaker 3: There was something to play for there. They're you know, they're playing for something. We can be playing for something too.
Speaker 7: He got flushed out to the right. I said, oh, here he.
Speaker 9: Comes into the angel.
Speaker 1: The county.
Speaker 12: Knocked me out at number one pick too. Man, I probably been the first pick of the draft. Man, they cost me, Nate pull Man. I'd never forgive them for that. I tell them that all the time.
Speaker 10: Nathan Paul may become a household name in Green Pay.
Speaker 13: This is Mael Schmidt. I love to get you to one of the games. I said, oh no, I would love.
Speaker 7: To come out.
Speaker 11: He was given a key to the city of Green Bay and he got to go to their playoff game.
Speaker 6: I'm sure he will have a lot of opportunities to go out in Green Bay if that is his desire. He will have a lot of people who will take good care of him to.
Speaker 1: The winner goes the Spoils. That's after the Cardinals took care of the Vikings. All right, a big win, but the big winner the Packers welcome into Cardinals Folktales miracle in the Desert presented by seventy two Souls, where we go in depth into Cardinals history, all time anecdotes through the recollections and memories of those who lived in or in my case, those who've covered it. My name is Paul kelvecon Cardinals sideline reporter. We're talking about that time when little known Nate Poole got the key to a city, while his own fan base lamented what it did not get.
Speaker 3: People said, well, y'all, you know you cost them the number one pick.
Speaker 5: The consolation was probably the greatest player in Cardinals hit and one of the greatest receivers of all time.
Speaker 3: Looking back, like you feel bad for the Vikings got down.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, I can't believe what just happened.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: One of the great calls, one of the great thrill of victory, agony of defeat moments in NFL history, every bit as much Shakespearean tragedy as season finale. December twenty eighth, two thousand and three. Cardinals playing for the number one pick with a loss, the Vikings playing for the postseason with a win or a Packers loss. Yet none of the above happened. Here's former head coach Dave McGinnis and quarterback Josh McCown.
Speaker 14: We're gonna win a game and we haven't won a game in seven weeks.
Speaker 1: I mean, we need to win a ballgame. You know, there are a lot of people I know pulling force.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Coach McGinnis was fantastic in front of the room. He was very captivating, and that was one of the things that he talked about was just the ability to knock those guys off. You know that they were coming in, they had to beat us, and you know they were going to get into the playoffs, and so there was something to play for there there. You know, it wasn't just a game where we're gonna roll the ball out there and get it over with and go home. He was like, man, this is they're playing for something. We can be playing for something too.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and three, it was a sixteen game season. Cardinals entered the final week three and twelve. The Vikings, after a six and oho start, were nine and six, coming off a ko of KC the week before a forty five to twenty drubbing of a Chiefs team that would finish thirteen and three, So all the Vikings had to do what everyone expected him to do, polish off a reeling Cardinals team with a quarterback making his third career start, a coach about to be fired, and the NFL's all time leading rusher getting peppered about his own future on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 15: I mean, who knows we can play hypothetical all day? Is Macizia great? But if he's not here, people coming in, what their plans are, what the ideas, and what they thought. So I gotta I gotta win on all that. So you asking me to make up answer to something that I don't have all the information to, that's stupid. I'm not that stupid. Yeah, please, somebody changing something?
Speaker 1: Pleasemas thank you.
Speaker 15: How about the spirit of jollyness and happiness.
Speaker 1: That's former Cardinals running back and Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, And hey, no doubt what would make the Red Sea jolly and happy? The number one overall pick under their tree. Here's the voice of the Cardinals, Dave Pash was in his second season in three.
Speaker 5: When you endure that long of a season and you're calling games for a team that's losing a lot of games, the one thing is Okay, you got a chance to get a franchise changing quarterback. Let's just get through this and get to that draft. Get your guy, enjoy the next ten years and a couple Super bowls.
Speaker 3: Like that whole year. You grow up fast in this business and you go, wait, they're gonna fire these coaches. Wait a minute, they could draft a new quarterback like you know, I was just a quarterback of the future two days ago.
Speaker 14: That.
Speaker 3: You know, all these things, you grow really fast.
Speaker 1: That's Cardinals could be Josh McCown, the third round pick the year before, who earned the final three starts of that O three season and tried to channel the confidence that his head coach Dave McGinnis showed in him against NFC North leading Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I think when you look at their roster U when they're coming out to us with everything to play for, I think it was a tall task. Uh So looking at that going yeah, we're gonna beat the Minnesota Vikings. You know, realistically, I don't know if that was you know, if that was an easy sale for coach, but he did a good job of framing that for us. And and uh and I think he was, you know, benefited from a young quarterback who didn't know any better and just was gonna go out and play the game.
Speaker 5: It's the Cardinals and Vikings from Tempe Arizona Sun Devil Stadium.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of action for the announcers to call in a fifty one degree day, a virtual snooze fast. Six to nine at halftime, seven to six entering the fourth quarter when Randy Moss scores on a seven yard pass.
Speaker 5: Lock closer than many thought it would be, especially with a playoff spot on the line. Of the Vikings win, they clinch their division. If they lose and Green Bay wins, they're.
Speaker 10: Out of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Then, just over two minutes later, a forty six yard fuel goal makes it seventeen to six Vikings with six forty eight to play, but hang on. On the first play after the two minute warning.
Speaker 5: McCown takes play, bank, rolls to his right, mccount in trouble flushdown, throws ends on and going down to make the catch for a touchdown of Steve Bush.
Speaker 1: Steve Bush for a touchdown catch.
Speaker 5: Great improv job by Josh McCown.
Speaker 1: A fourteen play touchdown drive bought. The two point conversion failed, so as seventeen to twelve Vikings, a score echoed on the Packers broadcast.
Speaker 10: James Minnesota leading seventeen to twelve. Remember, the only way the Packers can make the playoffs now is if Minnesota loses this football game somehow, some way.
Speaker 1: That's the radio call at Lambell, Wayne Larrvie and Larry McCarran paying close attention nearly two thousand miles away in Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Cardinals are going to try to recover an onside kick to perhaps give us a little bit more time to broadcast.
Speaker 16: Luckily, that day I wasn't demolition, I was recovery. And you know, Josh Kobe and company went in there, you know, blasting guys and right place, right time.
Speaker 1: That's former Cardinals running back Damien Anderson. And that's the recipe, the mentality for a successful onside kick, because that's exactly what the Cardinals needed. Good news, The Cards are just picked up one of the best in the business in Neil Rackers.
Speaker 5: So what fifty four to play? Neil Rackers is very good with the on side kick.
Speaker 3: We were all standing there, you know, waiting because that was we knew that that was the next piece. You know, you had to get that to keep the ball game going, and uh, you know, Neil hits a perfect ball, and I mean it was just how you drew it up, you know. And Damien comes up with.
Speaker 5: It, Rackers with the on side kick far aside and it bounce us in the air. Hey, the Cardinals have it. Of the forty two. Davian Anderson comes up with it on the re direction and the Cards have a chance. With onunch fifty four.
Speaker 10: To play, the Arizona Cardinals tried an onside kick and Larry Loan behold they recovered it with a minute fifty four to go in that football game in the desert and the Vikings leading seventeen to twelve.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm going to shut up about this last game. Stuff done. Maybe they don't have a miracle.
Speaker 10: Keep talking about it. You may be jinxing us into something good here.
Speaker 9: Maybe that miracle can happen.
Speaker 11: You get to that onside kick and now all of a sudden, all bets are off. I mean, anything can happen against anybody anytime, and as we know, it did.
Speaker 1: That's longtime voice of the bike means Paul Allen. More from him later, much more, Saul. Cardinals had the ball back one fifty four left sixty one yards to go, needing a touchdown with one time out. After a thirty yard pass interference and a thirteen yard completion in Nate Poole, the Cardinals reached the Minnesota nine with thirty nine seconds to go.
Speaker 10: I meanwhile, out in the desert in Arizona, getting a little bit closer.
Speaker 9: You know, people are aware of this because you could hear a thousand in the crowd.
Speaker 1: There is definitely everyone is out of their seats in three different states. When Josh McCown is put on his seat, two straight plays quit.
Speaker 5: Driving McCown looking left, hump thick of account sacked back at the seventeen eyline of McCown flushed out running near side, lost the ball, It's loose, and the Cardinals able the pound side up of the twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Emmittt has a presence of mind to go, Josh, get up, get up. We gotta get the ball. Snap we got well, got tome house. We gotta go. So we get to play call and then you know, and then we've you know, unfortunately, get the boss.
Speaker 16: Now you knew that was josh skill set, Like call a play that works for him, you know, get him out. You know, get him out in some space so he'll have a multitude of options.
Speaker 5: The clock running down, under fifteen seconds left. It's fourth down at twenty four, and.
Speaker 9: It's gonna come down to this. They gotta throw it into the end zone.
Speaker 1: This is it. Fourth down, fourth and twenty five from the twenty eight. The Packers and Vikings playoff hopes hanging in the balance once again. Voice of the Vikings, Paul Allen.
Speaker 11: There was worry and anxiety and teeth gnashing every step of the way.
Speaker 1: Hey Green Bay, you still watching, you bet you?
Speaker 10: And they're winding it down in Arizona. This is the last gas, fourth and twenty four, back outside the twenty five and here we go.
Speaker 5: Eight seconds seven six five four. The count of the ball. This will be the last play. The count steps up, rolling far side.
Speaker 7: Just so happened. He got flushed. He got flushed out to the right.
Speaker 5: I said, oh, here he come, but come throwing far side into the end zone and the ball it is pup, touchdown.
Speaker 11: Cardinals made pool and the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Win the game.
Speaker 2: On the final pool and the fight.
Speaker 1: Kiggs are going.
Speaker 2: Home for the new year.
Speaker 13: Josh Man, you know the whole time he's running he's rolling, he's pointing to the right. I'm inside. I know he's about to throw it over there. And the defender he had no clue.
Speaker 7: He had no clue.
Speaker 5: What a great throw by Josh McCown.
Speaker 1: He threw it up rolling, Hey Poole could get it, and he did it.
Speaker 3: I felt like it was just there was a connection for us, you know, and so booming there he is, and then the ball came out. Uh, and he makes an unbelievable cash.
Speaker 5: The Cardinals winning on the final play. Josh mccoum fen's made pool in the back of the end zone of the far side.
Speaker 3: You would thought we won a Super Bowl. And uh, I mean it was an unbelievable moment and edit middle to those guys out.
Speaker 1: There, But it meant even more to Nate Poole, the guy who had been cut four times and then he cut loose against the visiting Vikings fans who had populated and dominated Sun Devil Stadium trash talk in three two one take lso.
Speaker 7: Don't come back here and next to y'alling the same thing.
Speaker 1: Nate Poole, the living embodiment of the ups and downs of an NFL game. He was something fired up, while those Viking fans could have been more let down. Remember, Nate Poole was a player who was always in proven mode, always existing on the edge of the roster, so he played with an edge. We heard it right there, and it's amazing when you look back. How that one catch, that one toe tapping catch that proved to be a game winner, How it set off a domino effect, a whole litany of changes that altered the history of not only the Cardinals, but basically all the teams atop that two thousand and four draft franchise, quarterbacks going two different teams, the Cardinals getting themselves a Hall of Famer as well, who might have gone number one overall off the Cardinals were in that position, but they weren't. And the changes even extended to the rule book years later. We'll get to that when we come back. And don't forget Nate Pool was not just a celebrity in Arizona. He was the toast of the town in Green Bay. And we'll relive all that when we come back to this very special Cardinals Folktales edition of the Big Red Rage Miracle in the Desert, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert it's our special Cardinals Bolktales edition of the Big Red Rage was santan Ford in Gilbert. This is where we go into Cardinals history, go into the archives. Can't spell the word history without the word story. And we're talking about the final game of the two thousand and three season. My name is Paul calvi Seen. We started by saying, remember that one time, that one game played by two teams in two thousand and three, that stop time in three different NFL cities. Remember Nate Poole, Cardinals receiver, and was the in or out of bounds? We posed that question, Well, he was most definitely inbounds, and the Vikings were most definitely out of the playoffs, and the Cardinals were out of the top pick in the draft. We'll get to that, but remember when it comes to the Vikings, you're talking about a team that not only started six to zero and was on the verge of the playoffs, but that season, the four worst teams in the league were the Giants, the Raiders, the Chargers, and the Cardinals. Each team finished four and twelve. Each one of those teams beat the Vikings, so you can imagine the angst on the Minnesota side in fact, their radio announcer, the voice of the Vikings, Paul Allen, became a meme before there even were memes in social media, and that's where we rejoined this edition of Cardinals Folktales Miracle in the Desert, and former Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown two years later had empathy for the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Looking back, like you feel bad for the Vikings because they were right there on the cusp, and to lose that way, man, that's bitter.
Speaker 1: Nate Pool's game winning playoff busting, last second fourth down touchdown catch was one of his two two career touchdowns, leaving the Vikings on the outside of the playoff picture looking in as radio voice Paul Allen and company were left in a state of utter disbelief.
Speaker 11: People were just staring longingly on the team bust to the airport. Nobody knew what to say, and they were just downtrodden. And you just don't lose like that. Nobody loses like that, let alone to Nathan Poole, not ang Kwam Bolden. So I mean, now as we connect the dots, you know, of the entire thing over twenty years, it hits me so vividly because of how emotional it was at that moment.
Speaker 2: The season's on the line, two receivers left and right. McCown takes the snap, he steps up, he's all by himself, fires into the end zone.
Speaker 7: Dods Dods down.
Speaker 2: No, no, the Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Speaker 11: The previous owner of the team, Red McCombs, hated that call. He didn't let me know, but he let others know. Some vice presidents here, so you know, I had some conversations with some vice presidents and I'm like, you know, you don't script moments like that, and that's what came out. So I had to deal with that very young in my career.
Speaker 5: I understand where Paul's coming from. You get invested in the team. It's your team, and I thought Paul handled it perfectly. Some people might say, uh, it's not professional, but that's how the fans feeling.
Speaker 3: No, are you kidding?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 5: That was Paul's reaction.
Speaker 11: One thing I remember about the call is I looked to my left where the coaches were, and our linebackers coach at that time, Pete Bursage, he could hear me through the glass yelling no, no, no, no, and then I came down. The Gardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Speaker 11: The way he looked at me, it was not anger at me. It was one of two things. Oh my god, I can't believe what just happened. Oh my god, that check that I was going to get for a playoff bonus, it just went up into the tenpiece.
Speaker 1: Guy from Minnesota fans saying you sunk my Viking ship. Just the sheer agony of it all to the utter ecstasy of cheesehead nation listening on the Packers radio.
Speaker 10: Network, and here we go, this is if the season for the Packers. On the line into the end zone accounts pack Hey go.
Speaker 2: Out cutting down it as on Paco.
Speaker 1: By label thought complete deadlock from Wayne Larity and Larry McCarron reacting to a game they're not even calling, just watching from two thousand miles away.
Speaker 5: That is the biggest a miracle on the Packers.
Speaker 10: Sadly, any reps the Packers later, they finally realizes, any rep, I'm a final playoff. The regular season for the fight Kings, they lose eighteen of seventeen.
Speaker 9: The Packers not only make the playoffs, they're gonna be host of the game.
Speaker 16: True.
Speaker 1: Brett Farv and the Packers would host the Seahawks at Lambeau to open the playoffs. Later, Dave mcginni shared with the media that Packers coach Mike Sherman and GM Mark Hadley called him and said, quote, you're a bleeping king here in Green Bay. The thing is back in Tempee, speaking of coach mac different emotions, a different reality started to set in as the Cardinals locker room grew quiet, almost somber.
Speaker 14: For all that we've been through, we never quit on each other. It was a constant, constant reminder of what character I've got in this room.
Speaker 1: I've never been afraid to tell you that I love you.
Speaker 3: It was somber, and it's very sobering. You're just like, man, back to reality. This is what we're faced with. And he was genuine with his works and you know, and how I cared about guys, and so I think he understood in that moment that that was probably, you know, the last time or one of the last times he was going to address this as a group.
Speaker 14: I've never been afraid to open myself to you. Because you've got my heart. You've got my heart.
Speaker 3: You know it's a roller coaster really, because you were just as high as it gets. You know, for fifteen twenty minutes they're celebrating and enjoying one another, and then you know, the business sets in.
Speaker 14: When Nate Poole gave me this ball that he caught, what did I tell you last night? I cut this man four times. I cut him four times, and every time I did, he stood up in my office and hugged me and said, Mike, if you need me, I'll be back because you're the only man I want to play for.
Speaker 1: And that's the way I know that all of you feel right now.
Speaker 13: What was real motion on It was like you know, your last family hug, you know, and you and it hurt because we know, you know, he's a player's coach and he loved the players. He want the players to do, do you know, to excel, to be really great?
Speaker 1: You know what I feel for you?
Speaker 3: You know what I feel for you.
Speaker 17: This was a tremendous, tremendous demonstration of men that not only love each other, but believe, believe, believe, you know.
Speaker 13: Most of us felt like we let Dave down because you know, we didn't come up on the winning side of a lot of these games to keep him around.
Speaker 3: I'll never ever give up on you. I love you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: On the very next day, with a foreign swall season in the books, Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis was indeed fired. Vikings head coach Mike Tye survived despite the Vikings collapse after that six and oh start. As for the Packers, the party was just starting and Nate Pool's celebrity was growing.
Speaker 10: Nathan Poll of all people hop about that Nathan Pull may become a household name in green Bay.
Speaker 11: It was an amazing play. But you know, like I say about Nathan, and I'm not being disparaging here, but that was his fifteen minutes of fame. And then of course the next week he was given a key to the city of Green Bay and he got to go to their playoff game.
Speaker 1: And that is accurate. Nate Poole, who going into the season finale had eight catches all season and no touchdowns, was now Packer's royalty, to the point where he got a call from the mayor of Green Bay.
Speaker 13: So Mayor Schmitz gave me a call and I was like, oh, here we go. Stop calling my phone because I'm thinking it's a player, and I'm thinking he's gonna call that player's gonna call me back and say, man, dude, what are you doing. Then I got a call right back the same number, and I'm like, okay, hey, how you doing this in April? And he was like, Hey, Nate, no, this is not a joke.
Speaker 7: This is Mayor Schmidt. I love to get you out in a speed talking I love to get you out to one of the games. I said, oh no, I would love to come out.
Speaker 1: And that's not the only call he got that week. On the Big Red Rage radio show with host Dave Pash, a Packers fan dialed in from the Midwest line too.
Speaker 5: Dave, Mary, Joe, Mary, Joe, Welcome to the Big Red Rage.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Joe.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, thanks a lot. I was just calling to wish Nate a wonderful time in Green Bay and to give him a huge thank you. Since the Vikings started off six and oh this year, I've been taking a lot of grief for getting a lot of grief from my friends who are Viking fans, and I would roll my eyes and just say, oh, you know, won't you ever learn the Vikings will find some way to implode again this year and sweet revenge. It has been a wonderful couple of days, and I just want to offer a great big thank you.
Speaker 5: Hey, Mary Joe, how about taking Date ou to dinner when he gets up there.
Speaker 6: I'm sure he will have a lot of opportunities to go out in Green Bay if that is his desire. He will have a lot of people who will take good care of him.
Speaker 1: Nate Poole laughed all the way to Green Bay and all its spense paid trip in January on the tax Beyer's tap as the undrafted receiver from Marshall became a grand Marshal of sorts. But don't forget about the other end of that touchdown pass QB. Josh McCown.
Speaker 3: You know, they fly Nate up to Green Bay and they give him a Kidah City or whatever they did, and they're sending us We were getting Christmas cards from Green Bay fans that it was their family Christmas card and you know it was you know, scratched out and Merry Christmas and thank you for beating the Vikings. Go Pat go, and loads of Christmas cards mail to the house of the Sargento family sent the best cheese basket you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 1: That was two thousand and three. But even to this day, when he's out and about, Josh McCown gets reaction for both school Nation and America's dairy lamb walking through.
Speaker 3: An airport or whatever, and there will be, you know, a disgruntled Vikings fan and hey, you you know you owe me, you know type of thing, or it'll be a Packers fan that'll be like, thank you for getting us in the playoffs that year, you know, we owe you.
Speaker 12: I was at home back in Minneapolis or watching that game, and I did not like Nate Poole because I thought I had a chance to be the number one pick, and I used to always mess with Nate.
Speaker 1: That's Minnesota native Larry Fitzgerald, not only a former Vikings ball boy and their number one fan at the time, but fits might have been the number one pick overall in the NFL draft.
Speaker 13: Me and Larry had that conversation. Believe me that he would have been the number one overall pick. We're talking in the receiver room before the meeting about being him being an number one pick. You know, as I think back to what his sided bonus was, how he didn't do too bad at the number three pick.
Speaker 3: People said, well, y'all, you know, you cost him the number one pick, and I go back and go, you know, I don't think Coach Green would have I think he would have picked Larry. He was gonna pick Larry, and it turned out really good for Larry and and ultimately for the Arizona Cardinals too. He helped lead that franchise, you know, through a lot of things to become a you know, a competitive franchise, and you know, to really what they are today.
Speaker 5: Walking away from that with mixed emotions of Wow, what a way to win a game, but also, oh my goodness, there goes the quarterback of the future, there goes he live.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Cardinals won the game, but lost the number one pick, which ended up being Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning. We'll never know who knew head coach Denny Green would have picked for the Cardinals, or do we. Larry Fitzgerald says at number one he still would have been the Cardinals selection.
Speaker 3: Then he said, I would have been. That's what he told me. I would have been.
Speaker 12: But you know what, it all worked his way out I was able to still get here and play for him. I know we didn't have the success I'd love to have for him. You know, he gave me my first two jobs I ever had as a ball boy and then as a professional athlete, and so I owe him a huge debt of gratitude and I'm just so very thankful for, you know, the doors he opened for me and my family.
Speaker 11: Touchdown Cardinals, they pull, the Cardinals win.
Speaker 2: The game, the final.
Speaker 13: I brong my heart head to practice in the games every day, and I knew, you.
Speaker 7: Know, that's what it was about. As growing up as a youngster.
Speaker 13: That would was about, you know, bringing your hard head and working out and just pushing to make the team.
Speaker 5: You know, coaches say, run every route as if it's your last one. Nate Pool really did it. But it was like comical, like he went so hard. So pretty cool to see a guy that worked that hard have one of the biggest plays of the season, not just for the Cardinals but for the entire league.
Speaker 13: I got to you, hey, you can only do it one play at a time. I got you on that play.
Speaker 1: And needless to say, it's the play in Nate Poole's career one of the most dramatic and consequential plays in NFL history.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And Nate Poole's a good person. He's a great person to be around. And you look back at that and that's a special moment for me in my career as well. So, but it couldn't happen to a better guy. And Nate's could dude?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who says good dudes? Finished last? Right? In fact, as Dave McGinnis said back then, with a smile to the media, quote, there were two receivers on the field from Marshall that day. They had Randy Moss, we had Nathan Poole. So there you have it. Cardinals Folktales Miracle in the Desert, presented by seventy two Soul for producer Jim Mamhundro. I'm Paul Calvic and that's the story of how an unknown receiver won that day, but a Hall of Fame receiver was on his way.
Speaker 5: The consolation was probably the greatest player in Cardinals history and one of the greatest receivers of all time.
Speaker 18: With the third choice in the two thousand and four NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Larry Fitzgerald wide receiver, University of Crave.
Speaker 1: That was the red seat Cardinals fans at the official draft party two thousand and four welcoming Larry Fitzgerald to the Valley White, a departure from the climate a few months earlier, when many Cardinals fans viewed the win against the Vikings as a loss because the Cardinals lost out on the number one pick overall, ostensibly a franchise quarterback, which eventually was Eli Manning as the top overall pick. But that wasn't the only change in the NFL. A few years after that, the force out rule would be eliminated, and one of the main examples cited was Nate Poole, who only had one foot down in the end zone on that game winning playoff busting touchdown catch that eliminated the Vikings. When we come back, Darren urban, would the Cardinals have taken a quarterback number one overall? Would it still have been Larry Fitzgerald. We'll get Darren's perspective when we come back with this very special Cardinals Full Tales edition of the Big Red Rage Miracle in the Desert presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert, and we're wrapping up this very special Cardinals fulk Tales edition of the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert Paul Kelvicy joined by Darren Irvan. Darren Irvan covered the game. Miracle in the Desert is the title of this Cardinal's Folktales where we're going to the archives in some great, rarely heard audio that are Jim Almahundro found both from the Green Bay Radio broadcast. Also some of the audio we heard from Larry Fitzgerald and coach McGinnis Josh McCown all talking about not only the end of the game, but the start of a new era of Cardinals football in so many different ways. In fact, let's start right there, Darren, because what if, what if the Cardinals had lost that game? What if they had picked number one overall? Would they still have picked Larry Fitzgerald or would they have gone franchise quarterback?
Speaker 8: You know, if I think they end up taking Larry Fitzgerald, because I think Danny Green wanted Larry Fitzgerald on his team. You know, I remember so vividly in the month leading up to the draft, Denny wasn't like a lot of coaches there were. Oftentimes when he was he said more than maybe then maybe he should. And I remember in those days, I was covering the team for the East Valley Tribune. I had come out to a day in the off season sometime in April, and I was the only writer here and the only other media member who was showing up was brad Cessmett, who was working for one of the local stations that day, and he had an interview apparently scheduled with Denny Green. And all they did was bring Denny Green down to the media area and then they just had a camera and they were sitting there and they're having it. So as a media member, I'm going to listen to the interview and take what I can.
Speaker 7: Get from it.
Speaker 1: Hey, nobody told you couldn't.
Speaker 8: So Denny Green is talking about and you have to remember again the draft with Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, those are all available with the Cardinals picking third, and at this point the Cardinals quarterback was Josh McCown probably, and there were questions about Josh and whether he was gonna you know, and Denny loved Josh. He would talk him up all the time, and at one point Denny Green said, we're not going to take a quarterback third overall. Well, as a reporter, I had that in this day, this is pre internet, so I had a big banner headline the next day. Obviously, the other paper in town didn't have the story. So the next day I came back. There were other writers here. Ken Summer showed up, Bob Bomb from the Associated Press, and they get Denny Green to come down and talk and they're trying to get him to say the same thing again and he won't do it. And finally Bob Baum says to him, kind of half jokingly, we're trying to get you to say what you told Darren yesterday. And Denny looked at him and he goes, that was yesterday.
Speaker 7: Today is today?
Speaker 1: I tell you though, that was back in the days, and we just talked about this where a quarterback wouldn't always go number one, right, And we knew Denny's affinity for Larry Fitzgerald, his former ball boy by the way in Minnesota, so he knew Larry better than anyone and fits as it came to be. Once he did get drafted, he showed up in the Cardinals locker room, and there was Nate Poole. Nate Poole heard it from Larry that he cost him the number one pick overall.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, And look, it's not like the Cardinals made a poor pick by any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 13: But you do.
Speaker 8: Wonder a little bit what, Okay, Eli Manning went number one and then Robert Gallery went number two. But you wonder a little bit if they didn't take fits and they take Ben Roethlisberger or they take Philip Rivers, how different does life with the Cardinals?
Speaker 7: You know happen? Now?
Speaker 8: The Cardinals make the two thousand and eight Super Bowl because they get Kurt Warner, who has his career renaissance throwing to Akwambolden and a very very good Larry Fitzgerald. And the Cardinals don't make the Super Bowl unless Larry has arguably the greatest performed postseason performance of any wide receiver ever.
Speaker 1: So, and guess what, Kurt Warner doesn't end with the Cardinals if Eli Manning doesn't end up with the Giants.
Speaker 7: All so true.
Speaker 8: So, although Eli wasn't drafted by the Giants, he was drafted by the Chargers and they had to make the trade for Philip Rivers.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of intrigue with that draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt. Look, Nate Poole didn't have much of a career after that. No always remembered for what he did for the Green Bay Packers. Got the all expenses pay trip in January to Green Bay, gladly because he got a key to the city and everything else. But they ended up changing the force out rule in large part because of how that went down in the end zone at Sun Devil Stadium.
Speaker 8: I had no question that it was a force out play. And now you have to get feet down and if a guy pushes you out of bounds your eye, that touchdown does not count in today's NFL.
Speaker 1: So many memorable moments and memorable radio calls from that game. One of the great historic moments in Cardinals history, and it's been a pleasure reliving it, no doubt about it. Miracle in the Desert Cardinals folk Tale special thanks to our Jim Almhundro for Darren Urban. I'm Paul Calvic once again. An Emmy Award winning series you can find on the Cardinals YouTube page, one of many, and it's been a pleasure telling you about it. Here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvistay. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 9: We're gonna see a little big red rage football right here.
Speaker 4: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club