Speaker 1: Second date update, We got an email from a woman who says people in her area aren't really using Bumble or Tinder anymore. Use it not even my favorite app, Clinger, where personal space is just myth.
Speaker 2: At least everybody on the app are you imagine you hear knock at your door, immediately find your fellow codependent Clinger.
Speaker 1: But she says she's found a more unique way to meet guys. And we've heard of these types of movements before where people are like trying to move away from the apps in favor of other methods. So let's talk to her and find out what she did. Her name is Mandy. Mandy, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, Hey, you sound cute and fun and like you did something fun to meet some guys.
Speaker 1: She said, Hey, how did you get that from? Hey?
Speaker 4: You did it?
Speaker 1: You sound perfect for Clinger Brooks. So tell us about this guy that you met and how you met him. What's your strategy now?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, So I'm loving not being on dating apps.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's really been a game changer for you, Huh.
Speaker 5: It really has. And there was this TikTok movement going around and I want to say it started in Spain and it's where singles meet up at a grocery store. So like you'll you'll have a store and you'll have a time, and they usually see a huge turnout, like sixty to seventy people take part in it at store.
Speaker 4: It like, how do you find when the meet up?
Speaker 1: I feel like, let's see you guys at checkstands, Like I'd.
Speaker 4: Be the person not invited to the grocery store for some.
Speaker 1: Reason already there. Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 5: So it is a movement on TikTok, so like people will just kind of post the store name and time, and they'll get reposted and reposted, and then people just I seem like.
Speaker 6: Not exactly this, but like I've seen people go on and they'll be like, I think this bar would be fun for singles.
Speaker 4: Go this Friday night and it's like a popular barn.
Speaker 3: And go viral, and we're doing grocery stores, and so you can just say, yeah, exactly makes sense.
Speaker 2: Like if you're going to do it, you share it.
Speaker 3: If you watch any video where it says hot singles might be here, I feel like you're into it.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of those websites and so a bunch of people go to the grocery store hoping to meet someone.
Speaker 4: Right, we can go to the meat section because.
Speaker 1: I'm thirsty. Mandy, tell us how it works. What happens once you're in the store.
Speaker 5: Then here's where it gets a little lake saucy. So you go and you get a pineapple. Okay, it's okay, it's not like that.
Speaker 4: Why is it that fruit?
Speaker 5: You know? I wondered the same thing, like you couldn't have chosen a different fruits? But whatever, Okay, upside down which I know, run like rampant with that other Are.
Speaker 4: You sure you're going to the right.
Speaker 7: Here?
Speaker 1: Shut up? I'm loving this idea more and more going true.
Speaker 5: Then you put it upside down your cart, and then you go over to where the wine is and you grab a bottle of wine, a little bowl.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got an upside down pineapple and some wine.
Speaker 5: Yes, And you check out who's around you see if they have the same items in theirs. And if you see somebody who kind of tickles your fancy so speak, give them a light bump with your cart.
Speaker 4: Over we're bumping carts.
Speaker 2: I will say this this could be subtle because even if you don't see someone at first, you could just wander around.
Speaker 4: Looks like do you have to wander in? Every question? Though? If you bump someone, do they bump you back?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: Do you run away with carts?
Speaker 5: If they're not interested, they could you know, just oh sorry, excuse me and walk away.
Speaker 1: Okay, So bumping carts is the equivalent of swiping basically exactly. Okay, So who did you bump? Upside down pineapple wine?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: We're all following who was it?
Speaker 5: That is how I'm the Mark Mark?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: And then how do you how do you turn that into a date?
Speaker 5: Well, once we bumped, then we exchanged information. We actually got together and we went to a wine bar and it was it was really nice, like we just.
Speaker 9: Got to sit down and really talk, and there wasn't all that anxiety that you would normally feel because you've already seen them, so you're not worried that they're lying on their dating apps.
Speaker 5: See that?
Speaker 2: Okay, okayproved you know nothing about anxiety tends to go down after you bump carts with What did you like about Mark when you were hanging.
Speaker 1: Out with him?
Speaker 5: You know, I just I liked that he's really funny and he's a he's an animal lover and which yeah, exactly, and I mean he's just he seemed very genuine.
Speaker 3: So did you get the vibe that you guys were going to do this again, You're going to see each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, And that's the weirdest thing, Like he walked me home you know we can't and then gone done and then done now you said, And then he was gone.
Speaker 1: He ran away after the kids.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh my god, I have wine breath and then he runs away.
Speaker 7: Maybe he had to go get another Pineapple's interesting.
Speaker 3: So have you called him or texted him or are you waiting for him?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: I did. I called him and I texted and I've got nothing.
Speaker 1: Have you been back to the grocery store to see if he's still?
Speaker 7: Like, well, I haven't seen a name or time come up for another one, Like I had been doing this for a little while and this, but he was my first thump.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you never forget your first upside down pineapp. So how long has it been since you and Mark went on that date.
Speaker 5: It's been about two weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, long enough that he should have reached out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Okay, Well, let's call him in find out what he has to say. We're gonna come back and do your second date update you got I put in my Instacart order already, so we'll be back and do it right after this hold on second date update. I am never going to shop for groceries the same ever again after this call with Mandy.
Speaker 3: You and meeboled, I am going to be just eyeballing eagle eye who who's in here?
Speaker 1: Because Mandy told us about a strange new dating ritual that apparently started with singles in Spain and now it's come over to the US where people will show up at a grocery store like a lot of people. They take all the pineapples, put them in carts upside down, and meet in the wine section, then start bumping each other, just show interest and wink. Definitely not a swinger, even though it sounds like it to literally every person on the planet, except for our listener Mandy, because she ended up meeting a guy named Mark.
Speaker 4: There and she only been out with Mark.
Speaker 1: Yes, instead of everybody with pineapple, just with Mark. They went out, had a really good time and this was her first grocery store bump, sesshon, But we never asked, what about Mark, Mandy, did you discuss that has he bumped before?
Speaker 5: He said he had? Okay, she and a girl had gone out a few times after they had a bump. Second, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: How successful this is people.
Speaker 2: What's it like when it's busy and it just sounds like a hundred shopping cars crashing in the corner store.
Speaker 3: Even more fascinating is how confused the produce man must.
Speaker 5: Be, like.
Speaker 3: Pineapples and now they don't want but they're back, and there's.
Speaker 1: Clearly a lot of questions that we have and'sie answer.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only person that can is the tropical fruit stud that we're about to call here. Hopefully we'll squeeze some answers out of him.
Speaker 4: Can we call Jaqa?
Speaker 1: What's his name? Okay? Pineapple Mark? We'll just call him Mark until we get more from him. But let's just dial and see if he picks up first. Here we go, Hello, Hey is this Mark?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hey, Mark? I'm not sure if you're ready for this, but you are on a radio show right now. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Ye boy, have we been dying to talk to you?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, seriously, so many questions.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. I didn't mean to like scare. You're a whole show, bro, Yes.
Speaker 8: Four of us.
Speaker 4: We have a radio show and we do a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm jeff and have you heard everybody else?
Speaker 4: So I'd like to tell.
Speaker 1: So we want to ask you a little bit if it's okay about your dating life, because we heard that you met a woman the other day at the grocery store named Mandy.
Speaker 8: Oh she told you about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're going to.
Speaker 2: Be embarrassed, bro, we think it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She told us all about like the TikTok trend of going to the grocery store at the same time, like a call goes out to hot singles and everybody shows up and puts pineapples in their cars.
Speaker 8: You like, bump their cardival. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently you bumped with Mandy and she liked it.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have. I have a couple of friends that they're doing this trend and they told me you should, uh see what it's about. Yeah. A couple of times I met Mandy and I don't know, I thought she was cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 4: That's a good start.
Speaker 1: Cool enough to take out on an actual date to a wine bar.
Speaker 8: We heard we went out. It's just uh, towards the end of the date, like a weird thing happened. I know she told you guys about it.
Speaker 4: Weirder than the grocery store things.
Speaker 1: We kiss.
Speaker 7: You're supposed to.
Speaker 4: Was it not a good kiss?
Speaker 8: I walked her home and we kissed and it was really great. But I take her to her door and she reaches into her purse and pulls out an envelope.
Speaker 1: Okay, is this Hogwarts letter?
Speaker 8: I'm walking away thinking that this is a thank you for the night kind of letter. So I get to my car and I open this letter and it says thank you for this lovely date, and then under it it says, here is my pre and post date expenses.
Speaker 2: Huh wait, it's an invoice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, to what with the makeup? There was the petticue or things like that.
Speaker 4: She needed her toes painted to go to a wine bar. I just put on close to old shoes.
Speaker 8: Okay, like I thought, I didn't know that this was part of it.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 8: Her Venmo was on there. There was a Venmo barcode handle.
Speaker 5: Maybe you don't like more than someone where it actually went.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why would.
Speaker 3: You would you, especially because didn't you pay for the wine bar?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well, I paid for everything. I thought, okay, I'll treat her to a date. That's normal. I just didn't know that.
Speaker 1: You did not pay for everything, okay, or maybe he didn't have enough money to pay for the Venmo thing.
Speaker 4: So come on, what is she having to buy new makeup for the date?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 5: Everything does run out at the same time.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on a lot of theoreticals. We don't know the true story. The only one that does is Mandy, who is on the other listening to this call right now, Mark and wanting to talk to you.
Speaker 8: Mark.
Speaker 4: Oh girl, indeed, I.
Speaker 5: Didn't realize that was what bothered you.
Speaker 1: So you admit that you invoiced him for everything before and during the date.
Speaker 5: Well, I went out, I got my makeup done, and I got my hair done, I got a new outfit, I got cheese.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't put that much for a man to say.
Speaker 8: But I didn't ask you to do any of that, and I had no idea that there was a bill attached to our dating culture.
Speaker 5: You were insistent that you wanted to go out and that you wanted to pay.
Speaker 8: I wanted to, but to give me the receipts. It was just it was impersonal. I didn't feel right about it. I walked away feeling good, thinking, oh cool, I got a cute envelope with a note instead I had a receipt. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: I mean a letter does kind of make it more personal in a way.
Speaker 4: Does it?
Speaker 1: She took the time to write it.
Speaker 5: Indeed, you know, it's one of those things. I didn't see that as a big deal.
Speaker 3: Have you had other men actually fork up the cash for these invoices? Because my guess is this isn't your first time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I've got before, and I've never had any roken lengths.
Speaker 1: Really, maybe in the Pineapple community the standards for paying men are a little bit different.
Speaker 4: I had to admit, though.
Speaker 2: If I went on a date with a girl and it went well and I wanted to see her again and she builed me fifty bucks, I'd be like.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh no, financially afford it.
Speaker 6: I can take care of I don't think she's thinking about that when she I just like, these are expenses about just being an adult that you just have to incur, like, this is just life expenses that you got to take on yourself.
Speaker 5: Do you don't you feel that we're getting a little screwed over by the amount of money we have to pay.
Speaker 1: It's like kind of a shared thing. You both put in your effort and your money. Mandy, is there a way that maybe going forward you could see not doing the invoice or at least giving him a discount on the thing, if.
Speaker 5: It's going to make you feel more comfortable. If we got again, you know, we can go Dutch.
Speaker 1: Dutch on the date or on the pre date expenses on all the expenses.
Speaker 4: I don't even understand what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it means she pays for half, and he pays for half. What he pays for one foot, she pays for the other foot.
Speaker 4: I got it. Bet you paid for your own crap?
Speaker 2: Like would the bill comes?
Speaker 1: No, Oh, that's not how modern pineapple dating works, Brooke, get up with the times market. Sounds like she's trying to be reasonable with you, offering a pretty significant discount on the rates that you have to pay, so I would give her another chance.
Speaker 2: This is like when you tell a company you're going to cancel and they give you that last offer exactly.
Speaker 8: Trial.
Speaker 3: Is it too late to go Dutch on the first bill or are we just talking.
Speaker 4: About the second.
Speaker 1: You know, we're not in charge of the entire financial landscape. We're in charge of is paying for the date that you go on, because we will offer to fund it for you. Mark, if you'll see Mandy one more time.
Speaker 8: If you're willing to talk about splitting things down the line down the middle between you and I in the future, then I don't see a reason not to.
Speaker 4: No reason. Yes, Yes, spreadsheets Excel. You need to keep your seats. Mark. Okay, if you get a haircut.
Speaker 3: You gotta remember see how many pumps the foundation she's using account numbers.
Speaker 1: This is some sexy talk that we're having on the show right now. But Mark here, is that a yes from you?
Speaker 8: That's a yes from.
Speaker 1: That do not see that coming. But congratulations, Mandy, you got yourself another date.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you guys very much. And Mark, once you then Moony the half for the first date, we can schedule a second date.
Speaker 3: Wow, Maddy, I thought you were a nuts but now I'm thinking I want you to do my financial.
Speaker 4: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 1: Remember when we first started this call and Mandy said hey, and Brooke goes, Oh my god, you sound like so much fun.
Speaker 2: I bet you are the funnest person every making money.
Speaker 1: Did not sound very fun by the end of the call, did she.
Speaker 3: God, It's like sometimes I'm too negative and then I trying to be positive and it bites me in the bun.
Speaker 1: The wrongs.
Speaker 4: I always changed the wrong always. I'm gonna tell you, if there's two lanes of traffic, I will always get it.
Speaker 1: It's not your fault, Brooke. It sounded like she got caught by the end pretty big time.
Speaker 4: She got another date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like, what, whatever everyone else is doing, they're doing it wrong. She probably should have told us about her invoicing thing before we called the guy.
Speaker 2: But you know, sometimes I know, I'm like, why didn't you say that and you know, to them all, or why didn't you realize that's the issue. Yeah, maybe that many guys pay it without talking.
Speaker 4: My god, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 3: I do kind of want to follow her on Venmo to see how often it lights up, though, you know what I mean, I could make.
Speaker 2: A living off of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But if you want to get help with your dating Life. Please don't invoice us. We will not pay. We will call the person though who's not calling you back. Go check out all of our second dates wherever you get your podcasts at Brook and
Speaker 4: Jeffrey Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning