Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dana. It's Dan Patrick Show. Jason Garrett from Football Night in America. He'll join us coming up. Got a big game tomorrow night. The Detroit Lyons are in action against the Green Bay Packers Thursday night is done well. It used to be that was sort of the you know, a rest stop there for the NFL, be like all right to Wasteland.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, Marvin, that was.
Speaker 4: For the AFC South Titans Jaguars or NFC South as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I got a big game coming up Thursday night on Amazon, the divisional rivalry. It'll be Justin Herbert and the Chargers against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs. That'll be Sunday night on NBC and Peacock, which is where you can find this program. Download the app if you haven't done so. More phone calls coming up. Eight seven seven three DP. Show operator Tyler is sitting by lots of NBA coming up, the NBA Cup, the Nicks or the prohibitive favorite to win the NBA Cup. In case you care, where do you put that banner or that trophy. Do you get a banner? Do you get a trophy or you just get a boatload of money.
Speaker 5: Didn't the Lakers when it last year? Did they raise the banner?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 2: And then Barkley said that he was going to make fun of them if they were going to raise the banner.
Speaker 3: How about like as.
Speaker 5: You enter the building, you know, somewhere in the breezeway, as you enter the arena, you put it up because it's not worthy of inside the arena with all Lakers got a lot of banners.
Speaker 2: And did you see they're going to do a statue of Phil Jackson that if you're doing pat Riley, you got to do Phil Jackson, Yes, Marvin or yes Eton.
Speaker 6: The thing about tournaments like that they would mean something if we just said they meant something.
Speaker 3: Well, the NBA is trying to make us say that it means something.
Speaker 6: But if you look at across all sports, we have titles that should mean something that don't like winning the Pennant and baseball doesn't really mean anything anymore. Yeah, winning the SEC Championship this year doesn't really mean anything anymore. Those are all things that should mean something, but they really don't mean anything. Anymore, mostly because we just keep saying that doesn't really mean anything anymore. It should be important, it should be something that matters.
Speaker 2: Well, we keep saying winning the Sports Emmy doesn't really matter anymore because we're not gonna win a Sports Emmy.
Speaker 6: I don't say no. You keep saying that because you got fifteen of them. The rest of us losers are like, Hey, it'd be cool to get one because we've been doing this damn show for twenty years.
Speaker 2: It'd be awesome to come away with one of them. You guys will get one posthumously. When I die, you guys will get one. They're gonna bring you out. They're gonna play clips from the show.
Speaker 6: They're gonna give you another one and be like, hey, and you guys can come too if you want.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's the way.
Speaker 2: That's no. No, I'm buying you guys posthumously. I'm buying you guys sports Temmys. There's other shows that buy a sports Yes, we should do that. Wow, give him back, right, the mothership had to give him.
Speaker 3: Let's get to Levatar.
Speaker 2: Dan Levatard, popular host of The Dan Levatard Show on Peacock with his good buddy Stu Gotts and the voice of Miami's sports Dan Levatard, joins us on the program.
Speaker 3: How are you, Dan?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: It is lovely to see you. As always.
Speaker 4: I have said through tears a number of different times here how much I loved and admire you.
Speaker 7: But keeping me waiting so that Setan can talk. Who the hell lets their producers talk so much? And you would keep.
Speaker 4: Me waiting after they call me during our show to say, hey, Dan needs you immediately, And I'm like, yeah, but I'm doing my show, and you know, I admire him and we're partners, but I'm doing my show.
Speaker 7: And then they say this, this was the killer. He's got five minutes for you. Five minutes.
Speaker 4: I'm like, does he know how many people I have who want to talk about the thing that he wants to ask me about right here? Because all of my producers want to yell about what just happened yesterday with Alabama getting into this and Miami being left out, And I got Stu Gotts next to me, and all he's saying is make sure to tell him.
Speaker 7: Ste gottsbook dot com. Thank you stegottsbook dot com.
Speaker 4: He's very happy that you're having him on to promote his book that is a national bestseller right now that he didn't write or read himself.
Speaker 3: He's actually having you on to promote it. He's not having me on. He didn't ask me to come on.
Speaker 7: He asked you to come on. And you're doing a great job so far.
Speaker 3: Keep promoting it, Dan, know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean we're down to two and a half minutes now, scotsbook dot Com. Yeah, how's Miami football? How's morale down there South Beach Town?
Speaker 7: Didn't you want to see Miami?
Speaker 4: Didn't you want to see cam Ward and the best offense in the country in a shootout? Didn't or did you just want a grandfather in Alabama?
Speaker 8: On this man?
Speaker 2: No? No, I got to see Miami against Syracuse, so I already got to see them.
Speaker 7: Okay, but how about Alabama against Oklahoma six and six?
Speaker 4: Did you see that on Oklahoma that lost by twenty to LSU, that lost just recently.
Speaker 7: With Oklahoma twenty four to three.
Speaker 3: Dan, I'm with you. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: But if Miami beats Syracuse, Miami beats Georgia Tech, then we don't have this discussion. Then we don't have to bring in Alabama. Dan, just beat Syracuse, beat Syracuse.
Speaker 7: That is right. I can't argue that I.
Speaker 2: Would love to see Miami against Notre Dame in South Bend, Dan, Dan Patrick, you are.
Speaker 7: A students always if Miami were undefeated, they would be in. That is correct?
Speaker 3: Or no, I'm saying beat Georgia Tech right, beat.
Speaker 4: Syracusegreed, agreed to fewer losses and they're in.
Speaker 7: That's is absolutely.
Speaker 2: You can put your snark to the side, just like Miami put him to the side out of the playoffs. And then I'm just trying to have a rational discussion.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's all trying to do.
Speaker 4: Greg Cody wants to get in here, and he wants to get in here with sports conversation, and I want to get him in here reading fifty Shades of Greg?
Speaker 3: So which would he also has book to promote?
Speaker 7: What would you what would you prefer you have?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I'm not reading an obscene passage from a from a book.
Speaker 3: I know I'm not doing that. I gotta draw the line.
Speaker 7: So, okay, oh here it is fifty Shades of Greg.
Speaker 3: It's not happening.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm sorry, Dan, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, I already did. I mean I just you should be confused.
Speaker 9: Yes there is.
Speaker 7: That's is Damn.
Speaker 2: All I was looking for, was ya you call yourself the Pope of South Beach. That's all I was trying to do is let you pontificate and tell me about Miami. I told you if you beat Syracuse you're probably in.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 3: I didn't say you had to go underfeed.
Speaker 4: But then I have to make the argument. What I would say to you, Dan, if I'm making the argument, Okay, I know that people don't believe that Syracuse is any good. It's the best offensive, the best passing offense, most prolific one in in the sport, and nobody regards Syracuse as anything because they're busy regarding all the eight and three teams in the SEC as something greater than that. The argument I make on behalf of Miami, beyond you know that they can put their record up against Alabama, is that you keep telling me how soft that schedule is for Miami. But it would have three other top twenty five teams in it if Miami hadn't beaten those teams.
Speaker 7: This is about SEC reputation, I did. It's about Alabama reputation.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that their schedule was soft. I said, beat Georgia Tech and beat Syracuse. At what point did I say they're soft?
Speaker 7: A great? I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: Were you just said that.
Speaker 3: I said that they had a soft schedule?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 4: I did not what you're doing here with Georgia Tech and beat Syracuse. Okay, and Notre Dame beat Northern Illinois. Like, of course, we can make that argument on any team. I would tell Alabama beat Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Okay, But Notre Dame recovered from Northern Illinois and became a really, really consistent good team. Take them out of the equation. These losses just happened to Miami. It just happened last week. Timing is everything, Oh but you say, I am. I think Miami should be in Dan Dan.
Speaker 7: Timing is in everything, merit should be everything. Timing. You can't tell me.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter to me whether the games were at the end of the season or at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 7: It's a body of work. It's an entire schedule of work.
Speaker 4: Why play the games at early at all if you're going to only make the ones late are the ones that count?
Speaker 2: So should Notre Dame be kept down because they had one of the worst losses in all of college football with these top twelve teams.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying, Dan, Alabama lost. Dan, just listen to the question. No, no, no, Illinois.
Speaker 7: Hold on, I will answer it in a second.
Speaker 4: Oklahoma eleven days ago beat Alabama. Does everyone listening to this know how bad Oklahoma was this year? Twenty four to three is the most inexplicable result I have in the sport outside of Northern Illinois going and winning at Notre Dame and people forget about it. And you're talking to me about timing when I'm like, timing was eleven days ago.
Speaker 7: Don't think Miami was beating Wake Forest.
Speaker 2: Dan, I don't think Alabama should be in. I think, like you keep arguing the same thing. I'm agreeing with you that Miami should be in. I'm saying this is why they were probably kept out. Alabama's a brand. If this was O one, Miami would be in. They were a brand. They're not a brand anymore. That's part of this. It's a TV show. It's about entertainment. They want to Alabama still has a fan base, a big fan base, a big draw. We're agreeing with the same thing. I'm saying you lost to Syracuse. That probably hurts you with the recency bias.
Speaker 7: That's all.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 3: We're on the same page.
Speaker 4: I think we all agree that we all got into sports not for the scoreboard, but for timing and brand I agree with you timing and Brandy.
Speaker 7: That's right. That's how we should measure bodies colliding and killing themselves for money.
Speaker 10: Dan, The real problem here is Boise State. Get them the hell out of my college football playoff. That is what I want, Brands. I'm with you, Dan Patrick, Okay, I want Alabama, I want Miami. I want nothing to do with Boise State or un l V.
Speaker 9: Get him out.
Speaker 2: Do you want to get a plug in for your book to ste Gott's booked dot com. Appreciate your help with Are you.
Speaker 7: Sure you don't want the fifty Shades of Greg?
Speaker 4: I know it's awkward, Dan, it is you are, but you're interrupting what we were doing.
Speaker 3: Look, please say no, Dad, I have told you no.
Speaker 7: Thank you, No.
Speaker 3: Say man. I'd love to, but I'm up against a commercial break. Thank you That he should be.
Speaker 2: Damn Levatard is the Jake Paul of sports host. You know that's what you are. You're the Jake Paul of sports host. You should be ashamed. Okay, I mean I agree with you. Okay, ste Gott's booked dot com. You gave me five minutes. Greg wanted to talk two and a half. He took two and a half. I gave you even more than that he did. Why do we book him in the first place? Good God, all right, we move on. That's Dan Levitar. No, No, we're done. Stu Gott's book dot Com. Go Hurricanes? Who was what happened?
Speaker 5: They're frazzled this morning down there, the entire Miami crews. There are a lot of Miami folks on their staff. They are frazzled because of this college football.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, I was agreeing with Lebttard. He just wanted to stir something up. I'm just like Dan, I agree with you. Would I put Alabama in No, But they're a brand, Like let's be honest with what's in front of us.
Speaker 3: You may not like this, but it's real. They're a brand.
Speaker 2: Boise State. You may not like it. They did everything they were supposed to do. Now they have to beat unlv Arizona State. They did everything they were supposed to. You can't change the game. Hey, we're going to play a different game or change the instructions. All right, this is monopoly. You're moving around the board and you're making money. Your pass go and you keep going, you get another bowl. I mean that's what this is not.
Speaker 1: Kid.
Speaker 2: Anybody can't go, well, wait, why is there a little state and learn?
Speaker 3: Why is Boise?
Speaker 2: They did what they were supposed to do. You can't go wait Boise. Look, we're going to change the rules here now next year they should still do it where conference champions get in. But the rankings have to do with the rankings. Like you get to host a bowl game, a home game because of your rankings. It's really simple. You get in automatic berth if you want that. And then after that it's the rankings whether you're going to host a game or not, or you get a first round bhy. It's all fix that, cleaned up, ready to go.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, two things could be true at the same time. The Alabama loss to Oklahoma open up the door for a lot of teams to get in, and teams didn't take advantage of it. Ol miss blew it and they still have a great case and their resume is still really good.
Speaker 2: But I think Old Miss is one of the top ten teams in the country, great offense and might even be better than that and good enough to win a national championship.
Speaker 3: But you lost to Florida.
Speaker 5: The Miami Hurricanes are up three touchdowns twenty one zero to Syracuse. Is a decent team at home, and they opened the door to be screwed. They could be two things, could be right wrong at the same time or right at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Who, I can't get those minutes back in my life with Levatard. Oh my gosh. At one point I go, what are we talking about?
Speaker 2: We're talking about books, We're talking about Alabama, and we're talking about stupid.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: It seemed like a good idea about twenty minutes ago, and I said, all right, Levitard, you know educated guy, you know, knowledgeable, loves the U. All right, we make bad decisions occasionally. Yeah, that was like Alabama. That was my Notre Dame Northern Illinois on the resume.
Speaker 6: Yes's funny is that what we should have done is if you just booked Stu Gotts, Yeah, I bet you. Dan wouldn't have come on at all. It would have just been Stu Gotts.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Dan would be like, go ahead, Stu Gounts, go ahead, promote.
Speaker 6: Your Boat's kind of the Stu Gotts Show with Dan Levittard. Wow, just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now Levittart's you know, he's Jake Paul. He might be Logan Paul. Stu Gons might be Jake Paul.
Speaker 5: I always get confused at what the difference is of those two guys.
Speaker 3: Jake is the one who's he's a big time guy. He's the one who beat Tyson, so he fights more often.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he is engaged to Nina Agdahl the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I think they're having a baby. Yeah, or maybe they had a baby.
Speaker 9: I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I mean I do, but I don't want to act like I know too much about Jake Paul. Okay, we have novem VP coming up. I think I got it, Did I get it right?
Speaker 9: Paul?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll have the NOVEMDP and Jason Garrett will join us coming up. We'll try to get some more phone calls in here as well.
Speaker 3: Hell, just happen. Well, take a break, We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Jason Garrett a busy man. He was on the call Miami Green Bay on Thanksgiving and had notre dame a couple of weeks ago. Football Night in America analyst former Cowboys head coach, Chargers Chiefs coming up on Sunday Night on Peacock.
Speaker 2: You can see him there as well. You must start college football. You want to talk NFL football.
Speaker 9: You're in charge.
Speaker 2: You decide what if we use the college format, like when we ranked team teams in the NFL, and in accordance to that, you had playoff matchups, So the Chiefs could be playing somebody from you know, the NFC in the playoffs as opposed to the Apes, Like who's the number one seed? Who'd be the Oregon in the NFL? Right now, I still think Detroit's the Oregon. They've been really good, they've been dominant. The concern with them though, is the injury thing on defense. But that's a little bit of the Florida State argument from last year, right, you know, they win all their games, they put their backup in they continue to win.
Speaker 11: But you know, we don't think they're good enough. But I do think what they've done on the field over the course of the year. They're number one.
Speaker 2: It feels like the Eagles are an underdog story. It feels like Buffalo is an underdog story. How does that happen when you're two of the three best teams in the NFL right now?
Speaker 9: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 11: How it happens, but they're both really good and I love I love what Philly's done. Philly is a really talented team across the board. If you look at their offensive line, their defensive line, their skill players, they're playmakers. Sakuan is an MVP candidate for me, and it's amazing what they've done. If you think about ten and one last year and then an epics slide, they were horrendous at the end of last year and there were some real issues in that organization and for them to write the ship like they have started two and two this year. But I give a lot of credit to Nick Sirianni. I give a lot of credit to Vic Fangio and Kellen Moore for on either side of the ball. Just getting those guys playing the right way and playing up to their talent. And there's a really good feeling there. I was in Buffalo on Friday. There's an amazing feeling in Buffalo. The quarterback is off the charts. I just love the vibe they have in that building. And again, you know, talk about two coaches Sirianni and McDermott, guys who are really underappreciated.
Speaker 9: I mehean Dermott.
Speaker 11: They've won the division five years in a row, they've been to the playoffs seven out of eight years, and I think they got a lot of young players on that team, and they're just understanding that winning's the most important thing, and everybody's just diving into their roles. And of course they get the snow game Sunday night and they go have a heck of a lot of fun and kind of show that to the world.
Speaker 9: But I just love both those teams.
Speaker 11: Again, I don't know if they're underdog stories or not, but they're damn good.
Speaker 3: Who does Josh Allen remind you of?
Speaker 11: You know, when I was I shouldn't say growing up because he's not that much older than I am, but I had so much admiration for John Elway. I'm in high school, he's in college at Stanford, and then he goes on to play in the NFL, and I'm like, I've never seen anybody like this. His ability to run and throw and make plays and he just was incredible. And so when you have guys like that in your life, Marino Elway, some of those guys, it's.
Speaker 9: Like nobody can ever compare to them.
Speaker 11: But when you pull back, I'm like, here reminds me of a version of John Elway. His ability to run the ball, throw it all over the place, and for years he was putting buffalo on his back and now they're better around them and he doesn't feel like he has to do that all the time, but in the big moments he does just like Elway used to. So that would be my comparison right now, both elite, elite players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see Cam Newton as well in there with John Shellen. I mean they run, they ran in a more physical way than Elway did. But I don't know if you see those comps as well.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 11: Well for me with Cam, I think Cam, you know, go back to Cam in college. I mean they're running quarterback power, you know. I mean he's in behind these guys. I mean it's like, you know, nineteen twenty four four horsemen type stuff. And you know, for me, he's I see the effectiveness as a runner like Cam. Cam I thought was unique that way, and I just think Josh is I think he's a rare passer. His ability to throw the ball from the pocket out in space. I just think a cut above Cam for me throwing the ball.
Speaker 2: We were talking about comeback Player of the year. Now here's a couple of our candidates, Russell Wilson, Sam Darnold. Now we're not talking about an injury. It's more perception. Saquon Barkley. Could he be up for comeback Player of the year. Out of those three, who would you.
Speaker 11: Pick or if you have another well, I think there are three great candidates, and I'll hit Russell first. If you think about what's happened with Russell over the last couple of years, I think a lot of people said, you know, he's probably done, He's close to being done. I can see why Pittsburgh takes a shot at him. Maybe they can revive him. They don't give him a huge contract. Let's kind of see what happens there and for him to play as well as he has.
Speaker 9: And you know, the other day was big. This wasn't.
Speaker 11: Hey, Pittsburgh, let's play great defense. Let's run the ball. He threw for four hundred and fourteen yards in that game. Now is Cincinnati good on defense? Not really right now? So I get that, But I thought they'd go into that game hammer them. Russell make a couple of big plays in the passing game, Pittsburgh wins the game with their defense. That was not the game. So it's not like they're winning despite him. I mean, he's a major contributor to it. And if you think about comeback player, where have they been? He wasn't in a good place the last couple of years. He's revived himself. The Darnold story is fantastic, and I think it's a really good story for a lot of teams. When you think about young quarterbacks, you thrust them into a situation when they're young, it's not a real good situation. They got to do it all themselves. They're still learning how to play. And these guys get resurrected and you and I have talked about this before about Tom Brady, so many things he's done, you know, at the highest level in the NFL. But for him to play till he's forty five, for Drew Brees to play till he's forty, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, all of these guys. The runway for quarterbacks is a lot longer than it used to be. And I think, you know, the way we protect quarterbacks these days is contributed to that. But this idea that you can take a guy who has ability, who's the right kind of guy, who's been in a bad place, and he can he can revive himself and resurrect himself because these guys are going to play much longer. I think that's an important story to tell. And I'm gonna hit the last one because I love him to death. The sa Quand story is just off the charts for me. I mean, the devise of the running back. You can't pay running backs. They're done when they're twenty seven. You know, watch the Eagles play. I mean, he's an incredible player, and he might be the single most important player in contributing to what I was talking about earlier with Philly. He's an amazing guy. Everybody's behind him, and again, I think beyond his ability on the field and his production, he's bringing an energy to that organization that's that's really making a difference.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America analyst, it'll be the Chargers and the Chiefs on Sunday Night. Speaking of protecting the quarterback the Trevor Lawrence hit. Does the NFL look at the sliding portion of this and if so, what kind of modifications do you think the NFL should make on that?
Speaker 9: Well, I think they have to look at it.
Speaker 11: Everyone has the right intentions here, you know, player safety and all the rules changes they've made at all positions, how we do things in the off season, training camp, practice, all of that, and then in relation to the quarterback. I think these are all really good things to do. But now you're in that little gray area that these quarterbacks are sliding later and later and later, they know they're getting protected, they get to the sideline, they fake like they're going out, and they make twenty more yards. There's all these things, so so I think they have to guard against that. I heard somebody saying, you know, hey, maybe we should penalize the offensive guys. Maybe that's the only thing you truly can do, and I get that I'm not quite there yet, but I do think they have to allow guys to hit these these quarterbacks, and the hit on Trevor Lawrence egregious. I agree with the punishment all of that, but there's a lot of gray there for the for these defensive players, and you can see them playing hesitantly. So I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of penalty for a quarterback if if he clearly is trying to.
Speaker 9: Dupe the defender and not just getting down.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this yesterday and we were just kind of throwing stuff against the wall. But you know when a player is going to signal for a fair catch on a punt, then you know you can't hit him. If a quarterback is getting ready to slide and holds his one hand up like you are signaling that I'm giving myself up, or if Patrick Mahomes is dancing down the sidelines, he doesn't put his hand up, you blast him.
Speaker 3: Can you ask a.
Speaker 2: Quarterback to protect himself you'll be running with the football. You just put your hand up. You've signified that I'm not going to keep running. It's a white flag. What's the possibility of that being put into play.
Speaker 11: I think it's a hell of an idea, I really do. I do think it's different than a punt returner. You're in that environment as a punt returner. You're by yourself as the ball goes up there, and you're really there's no restriction on you being able to do that. Picture some of these guys in the middle of traffic on the sidelines. Now I got to stick my hand up. Oh you didn't. You didn't stick your hand up. Now I can blast you. I think that gets a little dicey. I don't think that. I don't think the environment's quite as clean. But you know, I've seen college games where these guys start their dive early.
Speaker 3: Well, Kenny Pickett did it, and then oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just they changed the rule though, Jason, the next week, they change that rule in college football. But you're right, but somebody's gonna blast Mahomes one of these days because he gives that I'm going out of bound and I'm not. I'm going to dance down the side. You can see defenders they have no idea what to do with Mahomes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and people lose sight of the fact that these these decisions these guys are making are happen and split second. You know, we watched the replay and we say, oh, he could have hit him, Oh he should have targeted. I'm like, do you guys understand how fast a play happens in football? It's ridiculous. And so you're asking these guys. You know, the receiver who catches it, and he's right there. Then at the last second he drops his head six inches and it goes from this glancing blow. Do you hit I'm like, you know, it's really it's hard on these guys. So I think we need to be more understanding of that as they go forward. But I think penalizing a guy who's intentionally doing it, I don't know that that's a.
Speaker 9: Bad way to go.
Speaker 3: How would you handle Justin Tucker if you were his head coach?
Speaker 11: I would absolutely stick with him. I'm not opposed to bringing a guy in the on the practice roster and having a guy kick as well. You know, at the end of the day, all decisions are made the best interest of the football team, and I don't care how much success in history you have together. You know, Justin Tucker understands that he understands that he has to make kicks. So it's a little bit for me, like a lot of people say, with these young quarterbacks, oh, if you sit him down, he's done. John Elway said last week, Hey, the best thing that ever happened to me was after the fourth game my rookie year, they benched me. And now John Elway has to respond, and he responds in a way that he becomes one of the all time greats. And so you're seeing that with Bryce Young, You're seeing that with Anthony Richards, and these guys are responding and if they don't respond, you got the wrong guy playing quarterback. So I bring that up just to say, Justin Tucker's been around this league forever. He understands the Raven's got to win. He's got to make his kicks. So so to bring a guy in to say, hey, if we're not doing this, this guy's kicking on the side. This gives us the best chance. I don't see that as an issue. I don't see that as a problem. But I like what John Harbaugh's done. You stick, you stick with him and and and you say, hey, you're our kicker. But at some point, you know, we got to make the decisions best for the team, and maybe that's that's the way you dip your toe into that decision.
Speaker 3: How does the kicker forget how to kick?
Speaker 11: You know, it's it's I'm not I'm not a kicking guru by any means, so I don't. I don't mean to suggest that I am. But it's a highly precise operation. When you think about snaphold kick, they're so good at it. The ability for a long snapper to snap it in a way where it's eight yards deep and he's going to hit the holder with the laces on his top hands so he can put it down. I mean, it's like it's like elite stuff. And I think the same thing goes for kicking mechanics. You know, if the foot is the toe of the foot is you know, an inch too wide, and that opens up your hips too much, and then you overcompensate, you come back the other way, you know. I think that's the kind of stuff that happens, not unlike a golf swing. Right, you know you're not hitting it right, Hey the club face is open, then I compensate.
Speaker 9: Now I'm hooking it. You know, all that kind of stuff. I think that's what's going on.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of moving parts, but nobody knows kicking more than Justin Tucker. I mean, this is the greatest kicker of all time. So I'm certainly hopeful that he can find the key because they need him coming down to stretch.
Speaker 9: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Notre Dame will win the national title if what.
Speaker 9: Two things.
Speaker 11: If they continue to play defense a little bit sloppier the other day against USC but they've been a fantastic defense, one of the best defenses all year long.
Speaker 9: So if they continue to do that and play through their defense.
Speaker 11: In their running game, and then Riley Leonard can make a couple of plays, I think they can win. They're gonna win in an old school fashion, but I.
Speaker 9: Think they can do it.
Speaker 3: How does the team become tougher.
Speaker 9: You have to do tough things to be tougher.
Speaker 11: I think the first thing is you got to bring the right kind of people in. You know, there's a great John Madden expression. He said, you know, for years in Oakland, we weren't a good tackling team, and we worked very hard at tackling. And then Jack Tatum was available, to come from Ohio State and we said, you know.
Speaker 9: We're gonna draft Jack Tatum.
Speaker 11: He was an incredible tackler, and all of a sudden our team became a better tackling team. So I do think it starts with who you bring into the building. But you have to do tough things. Unfortunately, in this day and age in pro football, because of the stuff we're talking about before with player safety, they've taken away the offseason program. You can't have padded practices. All of those things that help make teams tough. You do a lot less of that these days. But I think you have to put pads on. I think you have to be physical in practice. You have to compete, challenge guys, and just make that part of who you are. That team in Detroit that we're talking about before, Dan Campbell, Baltimore, Andy Reid, Jim Harball, all those teams that are tough, the teams that are playing the best right now, they do hard things in practice and it shows up on Sundays.
Speaker 3: Take the money out of this, but you have to make a decision. Next year.
Speaker 2: You could start Jamis Winston or Deshaun Watson in Cleveland.
Speaker 11: Oh Jamis Winston Yeah, I think that Deshaun Watson experiment should be over in Cleveland and they need to move on. I don't know how they do it, how they pay him or don't pay him. I think you have to navigate the situation where you know the salary cap hit is at at a minimum. But I would absolutely play Jameis Winston. Jamis is not a perfect quarterback, but he's certainly revived their team, and I just think there are too many.
Speaker 9: Issues with Deshaun.
Speaker 11: Deshaun was a hell of a player at one point in his career, but he's not the same guy. And maybe he needs another new place with not a big two hundred and thirty two million dollar guaranteed contract to start his career over again. But I don't think he should be the quarterback in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Hypothetically, have you ever been told to play somebody that you didn't want to play.
Speaker 11: I don't know that I've been directly told that, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: There is directly have you been told?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I mean I think there's philosophy. You know, this comes up with coaches sometimes, you know, we older players are more reliable. Older players have experience, They know how to play they can help you win in the short term, but sometimes you got to pull back as an organization and say, this guy's a progress stopper. He's going to let us play better now, but in the long run, this guy will play better, and we got to take our lumps.
Speaker 9: So I think, I don't know this.
Speaker 11: Has been directly, but you pull back philosophically as an organization, and sometimes you have to make some of those decisions, and sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. The evaluation's wrong. One of the issues I have with the NFL right now that I experienced a few different times, and I see it a lot in the NFL, is just because they're young, just because we drafted them, doesn't mean they deserve to play. They have to earn that right too. So in a quest to be younger and play younger guys, you got to make sure they're earning it along the way.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. Have fun on Sunday night. Thanks for joining us as always, You're the best. Thanks Dan, It's Jason Garrett Football Night in America. It'll be the Chiefs and the Chargers will come back. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn, What's in store tomorrow. I am not here tomorrow, Ryan Leaf, I think will be in the chair. I'm shooting my scene for Happy Gilmore two, where I thought I was going to be playing myself, and now Sandler said, maybe there is a plot twist and I'm going to play somebody else.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: As an actor, do you need more heads up.
Speaker 3: To prepare you normally do? I normally do, but you.
Speaker 5: Would immerse yourself in the character.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now I have to completely change my approach to my role the lines that I deliver. I think he wants me to wear a mustache. Oh, I think so, And I said, okay, So I think he wants he wants me to be in character when I show up on set tomorrow, I don't know who else is going to be there, hopefully Julie Bowen, who was his girlfriend from the original Happy Gilmore. And be nice to see Julie. But I know that she's in the movie.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I wonder how many Hollywood movie sets. Do actors walk onto set and day out they're told they're playing a different character.
Speaker 2: Well, I was told technically the day before, okay, just to be fair.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it seems you're working for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's happened before.
Speaker 3: When I did.
Speaker 2: I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, And I'm getting ready to do my scene. God's honest truth. I'm with Kevin James and Adam Sandler, and Kevin James turns to me and he goes, can you do a Brooklyn accent?
Speaker 3: I go, wait, no, I'm just getting ready to do.
Speaker 2: He goes, yeah, but this is this is, you know, staged in Brooklyn, like we're Brooklyn cops.
Speaker 3: I go, they're firefighters. I go no, no, no.
Speaker 2: And then I lost out to a role with Rob Schneider in Johan because they wanted me to play a Middle Eastern cab driver and they said, can you do an accent? I go no, no. They go, all right, we'll have Schneider do it. I'm not exactly working with Scorsese here.
Speaker 8: Yes, he just did it forty eight hours to try to put something together.
Speaker 2: I mean I got yes, I could do a Brooklyn accent, but I did not so. I'm a police officer on the scene and I didn't have a Brooklyn.
Speaker 7: I just to forget about it.
Speaker 1: That's what you got to know.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we put it off long enough. And America says, my god, novem VP, and Marvin was confused. He wanted to know if it was the MVP for the month of November. Yes, it's self explanatory. It's the novemb No.
Speaker 7: I thought it was the MVP up until November.
Speaker 3: Oh season, I don't know. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have asked. We had the OCTOBERVP. Let's do let's go around the room. They novem Do you understand what it is? Marvin, November, not Danny Hurley. He will not win in novem VP. You don't know, Okay, Todd your novem VP.
Speaker 8: Okay, Jason guy was just singing his praises last segment. I'm giving it to Saquon Barkley. The Eagles have won eight games in a row. Some quick numbers of what he's done in November. Had one game of one hundred and fifty nine yards, one forty six, two fifty five, one oh seven and a total of six touchdowns. Saquon Barkley doing it November.
Speaker 3: Seaton your novem VP.
Speaker 6: I too had Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 3: I also had.
Speaker 6: Everything that Todd just said is exactly why he was my novem VP.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to Marvin. It was a little confused about you know what the rules were. It's your novem VP, Marvin.
Speaker 6: Bark not even close.
Speaker 3: Paulie your novem VP.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna mix it up, and this will fly in the face of being valuable to a team. His team went zero to four in November, the Oakland Raiders here the Las Vegas Raiders. Brock Bauers is averaging nine catches a game in the month of November. He is should be an MVP candidate if he were on a good team. Fantastic player. A lot of people passing on brock Bowers. No, the MVP.
Speaker 3: I see what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, you didn't really want to go there, but you had to go there because this is your segment. Yeah, Rock Bauers has had a wonderful year. Uh, my NOVEMVP is Barkley.
Speaker 8: Yes, finally, just to hammer that choice home even further. If November was thirty one days. On December first, he ran for another.
Speaker 5: One hundred and seven yards in a touchdown.
Speaker 9: A day passed.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't count.
Speaker 8: It does not count.
Speaker 3: But but but it does, it doesn't.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, there's not thirty one days.
Speaker 6: That's not how the game works.
Speaker 9: Top.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sick of them. A huge game for sake with Dan in Orange County. Dan, thanks for holding What can I.
Speaker 3: Do you for?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 12: First time, long time. I'm also a Daniel Patrick Kearney, so we kind of shared the same name. I wanted to give a shout out to the Santa Margarita Cowboys who are headed towards Florida for the Pop Warner National Championship, and your Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting did a great job on the bracket announcement yesterday and I wanted to thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you Dan, the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting, Full Sale University, they handle that.
Speaker 3: Done a lot of great work down there, led by Gus Ramsey.
Speaker 2: Let's go around the room what we learned on the program, tod I'm going to start with you.
Speaker 3: You tuned into watching them.
Speaker 8: The Wizards have lost their last fifteen games by at least nine points. They went November.
Speaker 3: Oh, November, they went Ovember. Satan. What did you learn today?
Speaker 6: At forty? Is getting right back out there?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That let a little pepper spray scare him off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he got pepper sprayed in Columbus. Marvin Stu Gotts has a book. Yeah he does. He does. Paulie, what did you learn today? It should be doctor pepper Spray? I like it, Todd, What did I learn today?
Speaker 8: Jason Garrett compares Josh Allen to John Elway. They can run through and make unique plays.
Speaker 2: Somebody else had that comparison as well earlier in the week.
Speaker 3: I think was it Golik? Might have been Maybe? I don't know what we learned?
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Rapid Radio's instant Push to Talk walkie talkies offering national LTE coverage, clear connection, touch of a button, great communication device for the kids. We use them on the show. Go to Rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off free shipping. Thanks for joining us, our pleasure to serve you. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. We're going to be taping the Gambling podcast coming up after the show, it'll be available at dan patrick dot com. Have a great day, everybody,