Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh oh man. I think at one point in twenty twenty, I just went through a bunch of episodes and only listened to roll calls. I'm like, as so, let me see how he did. Okay, let me see they're good. Bring there, you know, bring everybody together at at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Not yet, not yet yet, not yet? Yeah yet? Okay, now yet Supremo.
Speaker 3: Sun, Supremo Roll, Supreamo Supremo ro.
Speaker 4: Sure, will Supremo Annimal be? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's love Supreme? Yeah with a nice Kienni. Yeah, what's up?
Speaker 3: My name is Fante, Yeah, and I'm feeling free. Yeah, rap for fourteen minutes? Yeah, kept about three.
Speaker 1: Supremo, Suprema Supremo. Who my name is Sugar?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And on we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm from New York. Yeah, where they filmed the Cosmic Show.
Speaker 5: Sure, hey Bill, Yeah, but I think it's clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna ditch this life for a rap career.
Speaker 6: Whoa Supremo roll call Supremo Supremo roll It's lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's Hannimal birds Yeah right in front of him. Yeah, got me stores Supreme Smo Supremo Roll my name is Hannibal. Don't call me lecta when I make music.
Speaker 1: You call me as Supremo, Supremo, roll.
Speaker 7: Supria.
Speaker 1: You didn't know this, motherfucker. Yeah, Harmonica, so oh my god, Yo, that's the first of the gate.
Speaker 8: That's the first between Q tips, head Libs, Charlie Wilson.
Speaker 4: This this might have.
Speaker 1: Happened to be in his pocket, you know, travels home.
Speaker 8: God you ship. There is another episode? What it's another episode of Question of Supreme Team Supreme. Hello, we are we are in Los Angeles having Uh, that's not when I say los Angeles is Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's the end of living single.
Speaker 6: Oh oh, you're talking about the production. You are such a deep dive anyway, he's talking about after the.
Speaker 1: Production.
Speaker 8: Anyway, I will implement the sound anymore claps or whatever. Anyway, Supremes. How's life going out here?
Speaker 1: Good man? We were trying to make this one happened for a long time. Oh yeah, this.
Speaker 8: Is his first episode and my mind, Hannibal was like a repeat on the books before.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I just never wanted to do the Zone one and yes, and.
Speaker 1: Then we were supposed to.
Speaker 2: Picnic and stuff. But this is it.
Speaker 6: Happens when it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what's up.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, it's kind of weird because I really, unlike our other guests, I truly, truly, truly know our guest today. Of course, I guess I first met you walking in the hallways of thirty Rock. Yeah, and I believe I saw your first ever late night stand up.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the Yes, I had done a couple before then, but that was the one of the most impactful ones because it led to me getting Saturday Y Live from there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was gonna say that was you know, I know many of stars born movements when it comes to the music acts on the show that were like, you know, on Grande's first time or whatever, like people that are going to be like impactful. But I definitely remember in the comedy world, if you make Higgins excited, which Higgins runs SNL like, that's the first time I heard him like give feedback on a comedian. So I was like, oh, wow, that's important. But you know, I will say that that's how I first met you. But of course you was listening out there. You're familiar with our guests, of course, as be it on the Eric Andre Show, or or on broad City or any of the Spider Man franchise movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 8: Is unhealthy the amount of times I've committed to watching TAG, Like, if it's on, you watch it anyway. Yeah, that's for some reason. I want to ask you about that because my fear is running well, especially I want to know what the audition was like. But not to mention you know, of all the pivots that we talked about on the show, he's had the most interesting pivot as an MC lord knows. I did not see that coming in the beginning, and first I thought you were trying to troll us, but then I realized, like, you are dead serious about this new craft of m seeing which I wasn't familiar with before, and we're going to get into that. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Hannibal Birds to.
Speaker 1: Man Rapping because I'm rapping. I love it.
Speaker 2: Man, excited to be here with y'all.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was about to say this is this is a new glowing Hannibal that I see, and I want to figure out the secrets, like I guess I want to start even before your life. I want to know what did you do in the pandemic that made you almost this new enlightened Hannibal two point zero.
Speaker 2: It was just I think it was what I wasn't able to do because stuff being shut down. So stand up was shut down outside of the terrible drive intur that I did, and so acting was weird during the time. When projects did start up, you had to get COVID tested in multiple times. Oh you yeah, we were about to film, but you staying in this hotel and and all of this, and so I had to decide do I want to do that to go not be myself?
Speaker 8: Do I?
Speaker 2: And so a lot of times the answer was no. But the studio process and that energy you could still get that no matter what was going on. So I just kind of enjoyed recording a lot and had a lot of fun just being in the in the studio, like.
Speaker 1: It would be like three in the morning, Hey man, I did this check this out? Yeah?
Speaker 8: That's what I want to know, Like, were you and was I relate to train? Like were people aware of this other talent of yours or was it just like something in the pandemic where you're just like, all right, rhymed a little bit, but let.
Speaker 2: Me Yeah, it was just where I was able to do it and focus on it and having a lot of having a lot of fun and then also just send it to people because people were bored and available. So I remember when I did and when I recorded the first version of Kept about three, it was really fourteen minutes long, and I was I was so hyped about a couple of moments of it, and I sent it to so many people. So I wouldn't do now, I wouldn't send a rough like that, but at the moment, I was really really proud of it, and uh, the the world. Yeah, And so I've been dabbling. I started out actually I did music before I ever did any stand up comedy. I recorded some songs with my homie Dave, uh video Dave No no homie Dave that I grew up on my on my block in Chicago. We recorded some some songs, probably in two thousand and one or so. I started comedy in two thousand and two, and then I was always adjacent to music. I even battle rap in college just to get stage time because battle rappers about getting reaction from the from the crowd and everything, and uh yeah, it was doing you know, hosting hip hop events and you know a lot of my early stuff references uh references music, So it was I was always around it, but just you know, started doing stand up less friction and stand up with that because you just show up and do stand up too, you know what I mean. You ain't gotta go to the studio and all this is. You go to open mic, you sign up, boom, You're doing stand up.
Speaker 1: What's more challenging for you?
Speaker 2: Stand up is more? Is more challenging. Yeah, stand up is is a little more. Is more challenging, but easier to execute because you just show But so yeah, stand up as a performance is more more challenging. And then creative music is really fun because you don't have to do it in front of the crowd. There you can kind of create to your taste and tweak and and and make it in this bubble. But then performing stand up is tough. For performing music with the band, I really enjoy it because you can kind of take breaks and be a fan of music while you while you performing music. So you know what I mean, you let the solo go off and you can just kind of vibe, like and sometimes when I'm up there with the band and I'm like you hear something like damn, what what like that's who rocking with me?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: What do you just do?
Speaker 1: Like whoa?
Speaker 2: And so those moments is really cool because you don't have to be on every every single second and uh, just you know, figuring it out man, and figuring out the just getting the show better. I think you can make jumps in the music performance. As far as making your show better, you can. You can make big jumps a short short amount of time. I feel like as a comedian you can make jump but they take a while. But as far as music, you can kind of you can do your show and then you go watch a few folks that's really doing that shit. You're like, Okay, we need to rehearse more. We got our visuals right. We need to bring our own sound guy. We need to bring our own monitor guy. We need to get the visuals on point. We need to all wear the same ship. We need to do to that. I need to work with a moving coach.
Speaker 8: I need to you're more advanced than me, because I'll be honest with you. After enrolling in Camp Cool Jay for seven weeks, I've realized that we have yet to even scratch the surface of what our potential is because llll is just such a forceful being on stage. It was almost like the equivalent of someone waking us up from a CRIMEA well, I realized, like I've never like you know, you see rock drummers doing like smells like teen spirit like that, Like I've never done that in my f Like I craft roots music so I could just chill.
Speaker 1: Eat a peanut butter sandwich and all that, and suddenly like I became like this drummer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I didn't realize like how much he attacks the stage and it's weird, like you know, maybe the first week and a half, like we got jokes and that stuff, but then it becomes like osmosis where suddenly like what we were once mocking now we're doing. And so yeah, I mean the fact that you have the wherewithal because for me, it was just like getting through a show without getting booed was my goal, which is why like every Root show that like we've never I.
Speaker 1: Don't have an ending for any Root song whatsoever.
Speaker 8: Like literally I attached songs and just because I never wanted to end the song.
Speaker 1: Here like everybody's right, melon man, you know.
Speaker 8: So I mean the fact that you at least start watching the playback or not watching the playback, like looking at the highlight reel to see how it can prove like that's how the Great Prince recorded every show, and then we'll make the revolutions sit in his room watch the show that night, like that.
Speaker 1: Three hours show they just did, be like all right, see here you almost fell off stage. That's fifty bucks. And you know so I think that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: You just started combining the two right, because you weren't always doing them together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just started a subscriber on your page asking us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last year, I was in my stubborn music mode where I was I'm only doing music, and I'm only doing people will coming to me for with comedy gigs are like past, yeah, and now it's just like, okay, I gotta be more practical about this, and you know I can't. I can't just quit like that. And it's been fun to just really give that full show like that while I'm doing the comedy set and then doing the doing the music after.
Speaker 8: How do you sort of present that to promoters that want Hannibal to come to this particular venue?
Speaker 1: And then you're like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's just if I'm doing I'm giving them what they know. That's the thing is that they hannibal sales ticket and it's I'm also doing this, so it's not people still getting the hour fifteen hour thirty of stand up and then I'm doing our music afterwards. So it's a full it's a full show. It's the first time where I'm after I'm really just really tired. Like man, I really did it. Before doing stand up, I wouldn't be Maybe if you did two or three, I'll be like, oh man, but now it's I really feel feel spent after the show. So it's been it's been dope. Man.
Speaker 6: It's not a lot of people. I was trying to think outside of you, but in my lifetime, I'm like you, Jamie Fox. I remember when Jamie Fox did a whole tour like.
Speaker 8: This, Edward Reagan Murphy the last last because I don't know if you guys remember there was when that What's Up with You album that the Motown record Loves all Right record right. He did some spot dates like at stadiums, like his very last run of doing like stand up comedy, but yeah, he would open his own shows and like Larry's Yeah, Like even to this day, like I've gotten calls to like, you know, come drum on this thing, like he'll employ the best musicians to come.
Speaker 1: I mean he did that song with snoop line that was all.
Speaker 2: Right, and that was all right, that was all right.
Speaker 6: That was really kind of suspisingly, right, suspisingly despisingly.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, it goes right there in the blow titshes.
Speaker 8: But yeah, like Eddie would do a half hour with Larry Graham as his band leader, and then he would do some stand up.
Speaker 2: Gambino his twenty eleven tour that I Am Donald, he opened with stand up in it and music.
Speaker 8: Believe it or not, Like I'm actually glad you're doing this. Because the thing was when Dante y seen thank You, I was I was about to say yeah, but I didn't even know you was a why word like wait wait, wait wait you said when y'all seen first came on the scene as most deaf, that was the first time that I saw an MC really have communication skills to that of a stand up comedian, Like he was.
Speaker 1: Literally like working in this crowd.
Speaker 8: I mean he was doing crowd work and like to watch him in from ninety six till about ninety eight was like just a thing to behold, and then he kind of morphed and sort of lost the you know, and I don't notice the thing that rappers go through where it's like I gotta lose this happy, go lucky perception of me and then I gotta be serious serio, and then then I'm angry, then I'm hardcore, and then I don't change my name or whatever.
Speaker 1: So I mean, it happens.
Speaker 8: But even with Tarik, like Tarik got really made a mark in at performing arts for his ability to play the dozens in freestyle.
Speaker 1: So you know, as long as.
Speaker 8: There's somebody choose to talk about or a hole in their you know, jeans or whatever, that enabled me to be cool because I was this guy, yeah, while he was just freestyle and talk about people's like you know. So I think that actually those two things go hand in hand with each other. Are you from Chicago? Yeah, okay, Can you explain something to me? Why is Chicago the epicenter of American comedy.
Speaker 1: For such a place that is also.
Speaker 8: Perceived as one of the most dangerous cities in which I don't even know if that's t were not either.
Speaker 2: Degregated as fuck. Why is Chicago It's I don't know, man, the city itself is the organization of the city of Chicago. In my experience, it's just a petty place that's always taken from you, so it gives you an edge earlier take it from you in what way. It's just you know, through ticketing, through all these different taxes. And I'm still scarred because they took my car because I had parking tickets and then they booted it, and then they just took it, and then it was just and then I still owed the parking tickets, but they had sold the car. But it's just the cars. They sold the car, they disappeared my car, man, and so I still had to pay it to get my license right. So it's just, you know, there is every a lot of aspects, like an every might be I think what happened to me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you just like build up a lot of tickets, yeah.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you're just going how you go. There's the logic owner, and you know I used that to go get the money right, right right, So now you make it real tough for everybody. Now I gotta have a hole. Now I gotta go. I gotta get l Four years later, they're gonna fix all this.
Speaker 1: First of all, where did you grow up in Chicago?
Speaker 2: The West side of Chicago, North Boston, finally not the South A lot of south Side.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I feel like Chicago, and some of these Chicago luminars have been on the show might be slightly exactly. I'm not looking at you, Sally Richards. I definitely believe you from the South side of Chicago.
Speaker 1: You show me that ship, you cleared that up right.
Speaker 8: However, similar to Detroit, like sometimes you know, every Detroit claims the east Side and then a friend of mine, like, everyone's going to clean the east side because that's where like the realness is from, but no one wants to emit that they're from the west side of you know, where Barry Gordy lives, Like a nice part of Detroit. Is Chicago, like is the south side supposedly like across the tracks where you're not supposed to go.
Speaker 2: Or the south Side is a is a big place. So there's there's hood neighborhoods in on the south Side, and then there's also Bronzeville and Hyde Park, which is where Obama's house is that's kind of the the Harlem of Chicago, where you know, you got nice houses and stuff. So the South Side is just is a it's pretty much a city in itself with other areas. And you got white neighborhoods on the south side, you got Latino neighborhoods, you got you know, so it has. Yeah, it's it's some tough spots on the South Side, and there's some some nice ones too, but they kind of bore, you know, and that can change into black. You're like, whoa, it's nice over here. Whoa, Okay, I'm not safe.
Speaker 8: In the beginning, like I uh well, you know, uh big George right, uh George record the.
Speaker 1: Record, George's music, George Music. Oom right, George Daniels, George, Okay, say big.
Speaker 8: George George Daniels. Like when in the beginning when you would have to like do in store appearances and whatnot, and he would take us around to these various record spots, like literally he'll be like, oh, yeah, there's a Oprah's condos over there, and then literally we'll be like cabried and green like in mere seconds, like yeah, the projects and the condominiums are were in proximity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three ninety six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cobrina Green was really close, is really close, was really close to downtown in a few minutes, super close.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're like, what is the west Side like for you?
Speaker 2: My area on the west side is North Avenue on Austin, so it borders Oak Park, which is a suburb, but it's a a suburb that's there's suburbs. That's outer suburbs where you gotta get on the highway and drive twenty thirty minutes, and then there's suburbs whereas it's like this side of the street is Chicago, this side of the street is Oak Park. So my area had Chicago, but it also had part suburban field because it was adjacent to that. So that's where I was at. So North Avenue that was like middle class family. Yeah, but it still had its It had still had bullshit going on occasionally, but it wasn't You didn't feel unsafe all the time. It's just like watch yourself folk. My dad worked at the railroad at Union Pacific Railroad, and then my mom worked at mental hospital for a while and then worked at my old school, Saint Paul Lutheran School as a as a teacher's assistant.
Speaker 1: Oh god, so you had to go to school while your mom was there?
Speaker 2: She wasn't she worked there after I left.
Speaker 1: Actually I left that school because that's that's too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been, it would have been not way too much pressure.
Speaker 8: Uh during that time period, like were you Chicago has so many luminaries from the past, president future, Like were you in proximity of anyone that was.
Speaker 1: Chicago based and socially? Socially, Hey, in my high school, there's common word you know in my screen?
Speaker 2: Uh No, well, fifth and sixth grade, we played against We played basketball against this kid. It was a kid Amari Sawyer that ended up going to the pall and he he cooked us man. He cooked the hell out of us man. You know, because it's fifty sixth grade basketball. There's no there's no scouting report. You just find out on the court. There's no like, yeah, we gotta watch make sure that if you just get out there and he's like, what was that?
Speaker 1: And he starts hearing for his science what that?
Speaker 2: What was that? And it was a play. It was a play where the ball was going out of bounds off of him. He saved the ball, jumped mid there threw it off of me.
Speaker 1: Out of bound.
Speaker 2: But that was not a fifth and sixth grade play. I just confused. I remember, give him a tech right now, get him out of here. He's a grown man. Let us kids enjoy ourselves. Get him about here. So that was an early encounter with greatness in fifth and sixth grade. Well, he's seeing somebody really different from us.
Speaker 8: So in general, did you what were your aspirations as a kid, Like it's hard to figure out where Comedy interested in his life. If you had another talent or if you had another dream for being an electrician or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't have any specific goals. Man, I was a smart kid, you know, tested well, and so I think even going into college, I played you know, I played football in high school. I was okay, I was on the debate team. I enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: Your only child or.
Speaker 2: Not the only child, and I'm the youngest with a with a decent gap, So maybe I think, yeah, next sibling is ten years older.
Speaker 1: Is anyone sinking the temptations right now?
Speaker 2: I just think it was spoiling.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're the baby and.
Speaker 8: Your siblings are decades older than you, So it was kind of like you were the only kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean my I guess my sister kind of took on more of a motherly role before she went to college and everything, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Anyway exactly, I love you doing getting a time machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but going to college, I think I just went just because that was what you were supposed to do. It wasn't. It wasn't with a real vision. It was just kind of supposed to go to college.
Speaker 1: And where did you go again?
Speaker 2: Southern Illinois University. Major A changed. My first major was business and then I failed finite math twice, and I said, I guess business not for me. At least their idea of business ain't for me. Then I changed the education for a little bit.
Speaker 8: Actually many a business major, but literally doesn't know what what that entails in college?
Speaker 1: Like, so what classes are they?
Speaker 2: I didn't make it until where you took the actual classes. I was still in the you know, yeah, in the in the freshman levels, so they had general a general. I didn't get into that. Yeah, So it wasn't. I wasn't. I wasn't there yet. You didn't stay but for how long in college? Oh? No, I stayed there the amount of time four years but I didn't. Well, I decided I.
Speaker 1: Was finished.
Speaker 2: Years of your money and then yeah, I mean it is. I mean, you know, state school, so it wasn't super.
Speaker 6: I started out in state school a miir. If you go to your state school, that's for instance. I went to Morgan State for two years. My tuition was like fifteen hundred. It's a semester. I'm stupidly transferred to Atlanta. Now one hundred thousand dollars on thirty thousand.
Speaker 1: That's what still you're paying off.
Speaker 6: Now one hundred and fifty five thirty thousand student loans. Oh wow, all that money and people be like, you got your degree?
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it is, okay, Yeah where did you graduate?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm sorry, ninety nine is supposed to be ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, Clark Atlanta University.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: I know you went to college, but for some reason, most black people go to college. Like this is like then I dropped out my junior year whatever I didn't jesus, Yeah I finished, no one, I came.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two degrees and there yeah what I mean three d well are a given? Right?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wait, that's just what happened. Wait, everyone in the squad. I'm the only one that's not edumacated.
Speaker 6: Yes, the richest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't have a record. Yeah yeah, no.
Speaker 6: Not really.
Speaker 1: I feel horrible.
Speaker 2: No, you should be proud, like you know, unless you just wanting to buy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you get in the shop five shout out to Joe Biden. I'm waiting.
Speaker 8: Well, there was a second when Swizz, When Swizz went to Harvard, there was a brief moment where you could take like Harvard, yeah, business things, but that I couldn't do it, but I want to do it before I'm seventy.
Speaker 2: So I was telling you to go to Harvard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah you can. You can go to the BRONC. You know what I mean. There's a lot of Phoenix yeah.
Speaker 2: Phi, Yeah, you jumping. Yeah, all right, somebody five hundred dollars to film the classes, you know what.
Speaker 8: You know what during during the Black Album period, there was a moment where I think I had him on the fence where I was like, yo, you know, be dope, because this is the point where I realized that Jay had put the Mitchell Nessa out of business when he started like, hey I'm wearing Buttimore. Yeah I did, right, So when we were rehearsing just before that album came out. Before that album came out, do you know a boy who h was like the yes, thank god you because I literally and she went to college.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Big all right, you get that one. Finally we've been here for two days.
Speaker 7: I got my.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So the whole point was that I was like, whoa, if you're this powerful, if you're this because Big Rube actually hit them up and said, hey, help, like, can you let me know the exact date this.
Speaker 1: Album's coming out?
Speaker 8: Because I feel like that's going to be another four point six situation where you shut They had a history of shutting businesses down, and they were like, yes, that album comes out and da da da da, and they just had like a yes. They literally had a fire sale, and then of course the shirts went down for a spell and then everyone's buying button ups. I was like, wow, if you have the power to do that, I say, if you went to college, everybody would follow suit and go to college.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I thought he was gonna get him to teach a class. He needs to teach, motherfucker he did.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, but you know, I was I had hope for us.
Speaker 2: So a shirt is he just left.
Speaker 5: College?
Speaker 2: Shirt boom go to Rosses twenty bucks? I got a shirt. I'm jay Z.
Speaker 1: Right, you tell me. I got to fill out a fast.
Speaker 2: Doing what I gotta stay in the room with a stranger.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Hope, I still got hope, man, I still got hope. Do you remember your first like the first time you got on stage and did comedy?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, the first time.
Speaker 1: Where was it was?
Speaker 2: It was s I U in the student center the it's called the Big Muddy Room. They had open mics. Uh did you put that?
Speaker 1: Was that footage of that at the end? I feel like I saw you put it.
Speaker 2: Online or something at the beginning of Miami. That's what. Yeah, I was like, I feel like, so that was the performance that wasn't it. That was something that was something in the first year or so. But that wasn't the first one. That was the same place. Okay, Actually that show it was an open mic and I went the month before my homeboy Cheety was performing at the same open mic, and I just kind of I was watching folks and it just kind of it demystified stand up for me because before that I was seeing everything televised with people's polished killing it. And so then that showed me that, oh I could try this, and it's low stakes. If it goes cool, it goes cool. If it don't, it don't. And so then I wrote some stuff and went back the next month and tried it, and it went all right, but it was enough to kind of, you know, to keep me going. I remember my legs just shaking afterwards, like.
Speaker 8: Oh shit, were you generally known as the funny guy in the crew or were you the class clown or like, were you generally known it's funny or were you just observation on humor guy?
Speaker 2: It depends sometimes I will, you know, in the right group, I would be funny and over the top or roasting and what. But some people, if you asked me, oh no, he quiet, he seemed. I know, I thought he was quiet because we probably weren't that cool. But but the folks that knew, you know, thought I thought I was funny, and uh but yeah, after that I caught the bug and was just really locked in, just appreciated that feeling and being on campus too. That was the cool thing about doing it in the college setting was that there was this bubble on his own. So, you know, after my first show, or it was another show that I did on campus. Actually Little Reil was on that show and Wildcat, UH two Face and Shady. It was you know, they were bringing down comics from UH Comicsview and I, uh, Kevin from Triple Team Promotions let me get a spot even though I only had My only experience was one open mic before that, and so I did my set, walked out to actually All I Need by jay Z and uh and it went cool. And then the next day after that, because it's a college campus, you run into folks like, yeah, you did stand up, and so it was cool to do it in that that setting. And it also was easy to relate because you can do oh, well the launch, the cafeteria, food, campus security, what's up? What? You know? You had all these this stuff because you talking to other eighteen to twenty two year olds that's living in the same place. So I think it was a it was a benefit.
Speaker 1: To Was this a time when you and over my eagle because you were his ari?
Speaker 2: He was my Alrady?
Speaker 1: Oh he was your ri.
Speaker 2: He was my Alra. Yeah, ok, yeah, yeah, Mike was my ra. He actually put me on to uh once I I showed him it was I went up to this place, Jukebox Comedy Club. I drove up there to do a guest spot and perform, and I had a VHS tape of my set and I was hyped about it. And then I went up to his room and showed him the tape and that was back, it's VHS. So you it wasn't just you sent the lincs. It's like, I did this, Let's watch it, Let's go together, let's watch the ship. I did you just look and so uh he from there he sent me some the audio from Dave Chappelle killing him softly, just the audio from it. Some hadburg stuff, but the killing him softly. That's when I heard. When he did the the from Dave, I'm going to raise some that bit. Uh. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was high. I tried to tell him it was a bad idea, but all it came out was ship. Sometimes you gotta race, nigga, I don't know, and that it was a revound I rewound. I just thought it was the timing and delivery on that was so crazy. I rewound that so many.
Speaker 8: Times Okay, when crafting, well wait, when I come back, I want to talk about the crafting of the show. Yeah, but we're going to take a break for the you know, for the costs. All right, so we're back with our guests, Hannibal Bird.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm being professionals. We're taking it's called commercial taking. I overheard a conversation we take commercial breaks now. I well, you know, we got Bill, so it's best to be you know, professional. It only took us six years, right, So yeah, when I first got my drum machine, the first thing I did was like, well, when I got Seve hundred.
Speaker 1: I would I remade the entire low in theory.
Speaker 8: I challenged myself to make at least side one of nation and millions, like you got to practice other people's beats. And then Dylan would do the same, all those people I can interlude. He would redo them ships and then try to figure out how to do it his version. So for comedian though, like I know, like you know, Eddie Murphy would say like, yeah, I just take Richard record and remix his things were people that didn't hear it in my school or whatever.
Speaker 1: But for you, how does that work? Like? What are the ingredients that you're taken from.
Speaker 8: So you're saying that killed me softly from Chappelle was a seminal moment for you where you just studied.
Speaker 2: The just that bit. I like that just as a as a fan. As far as creating my stuff, I don't know. I just watched a lot of folks. I didn't early on a lot of folks. You you sort of like Mitch Hebburg, But Mike played me miss Hebburg, based on what I had just played him from that from that show, and he put me on to Mitch Hebburg. So maybe absorbed. I'm sure you know, just through osmosis, you might sound like folks sometimes and you just try to, you know, find your own and be be as true to your your shit as you can.
Speaker 1: But you know, we what does we feel like?
Speaker 8: Hepburg's observation rude that has been long vacant and you know somebody has to walk that path. Is that all comedians look at things like, Okay, well this guy is the singing comedian, and this guy is the you know, the family storyteller, and this person's the you know, lane the street community Like is that?
Speaker 1: Are they compartmentalized like that?
Speaker 2: Or it wasn't It wasn't that calculated at that time. It was just really just trying to get better, just try to you know, just have your your not bomb. Really that was the thing, is not just how to do it. Do you remember what was the first the first joke that you wrote that hit, the first one that I that uh that hit. It was one I talked about how people just have just all these different ways to call you dark skin like, damn you black as hell, You're so black if you you lay on if you stand by the wall, it's a cave, if you lay on the ground, it's a whole You're so black, you purple African like. It was just kind of a run of just all these.
Speaker 8: Is that everyone's entry in the comedy world, because even Chris Rock said he had a good three minutes about Miles Davis being black and that's what that's what made Eddie Murphy invited him to you know, Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: It's almost like that's an entry point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just you just think about I mean, yeah, you just you know, repeating things that people said to you that you didn't understand why they said.
Speaker 1: It, Like blackness is the birth place of.
Speaker 2: What why am I an African booty scratch?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm just existing African booties gratch what I'm ten.
Speaker 8: So okay, when you're crafting, don't speak from your professional mind now. But back then, when you're crafting like pre roots, you know, there's a point where your eyes are open. You suddenly realize, like what a hook is? You know, what makes what makes things work on an audience. Unfortunately, it took me to the pandemic to really learn how to make a song.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, because in Fumish college, so what do you expect.
Speaker 2: We've had records, We've gotten lucky.
Speaker 8: But I never knew the science of songwriting or what makes a song work, like what makes it affect and what makes it non effective. And it wasn't until the pandemic, in which I'm literally stuck five hours every day going through every song to know, oh, okay, this is why this. I don't know why I just never studied the science of You knew it, you just no, I didn't. Because the thing is is like we would never write songs. We've never demo song. We just jamming sound check. Oh that sounds dope, you know, like next move was made like in a sound check in Hawaii, it's like, oh, recording the table quick, and we did it for like two minutes and then came back and did that jam. But I didn't realize it got me with scientific that's because Scott Storch, not Black Roads, you got me. No, I'm just saying that, you know, all right when when I'm when the motor role of two two way pages came out, that's when I realized.
Speaker 3: Like in programming on a two way that that's that's a hit, Like yeah, because you need a part the whistle, Like all right, Prince is delirious.
Speaker 1: You know, we never had a what's the of the next movement? There's that's background vocals. See that's for me.
Speaker 8: But I feel what you're saying, like Prince is the master of He'll do the intricate ship that interests like all the music nerds.
Speaker 1: But it'll have the.
Speaker 8: Thing, right, I don't want to say the idiot factor or whatever, like the common man's thing that attracts them to it. Yeah, pop songs there you gotta have that sticky part that people remember and then you wind to a dress.
Speaker 6: It with did you know this with a mirror speaker?
Speaker 2: I get what he's talking about. I'm just shocked to hear that.
Speaker 8: He Yeah, I didn't know how to format songs or any of that stuff until two years ago. For you, though, did you know the science of comedy or was it just like I'm gonna go out here and just say what I feel and then.
Speaker 1: Or do you learn when you bomb? Like when's the first time you bombed?
Speaker 2: First time really bombed? There was a show in Carbondale that it was a It was an Apollo style show with multiple discipline soul music, dance, poetry, comedy, and it wasn't produced well. There was no microphone and so I was kind of just up there talking no stage. A friend of mine at the time was actually the so called Samman, and I was trying to I was somebody interrupted me and I didn't know how to handle that at the time or control of the room and I'm up there with no mic and then so then he starts vamping towards the stage and so then they started getting more hyped. Yeah, and then they booing and then he just you know, Samman traditionally dances you off stage. For some reason, he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. And your friend your friend, Yeah, we were in the same performance. Yeah, and so then and I actually had somebody I got the footage of it. I'm like looking into the camera like stop the tag, stop the tag. But that one, that one was that was a rougherence right there for the Yeah, it's I think I learned you just it's trial and error, and you see kind of what people connect with more So, I think the first two bits that were really that kind of really connected with people in a in a in a different way than the others were talking about kicking pigeons and flicking pickle juice with the one, and I think that's also this premise choice too. It's just you know, speaking comedians something.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Don't worry about.
Speaker 2: So how are you?
Speaker 1: Aybody a see I heard it's not going.
Speaker 2: Just figgured it out, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wait, when's the last time this happened? When uh No walked in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you want to take one of your famous commercial breaks now.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: Farrell is so hot and tall and now get me out here, give me out of here, please.
Speaker 7: And that's where we're gonna end Part one. This is unpaid bill for the Team Supreme We had such a good time with Hannibal Burrus in Hollywood. I mean, come on, who brings a harmonica to the gig? Felt so good to be back in the studio with my QLs family, and it will be so good when we give you the rest of this interview next week. In the meantime, Hannibal's playing his biggest hometown show in Chicago and November two at the Chicago Theater. If you're anywhere nearby, please check it out.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to The Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 3: This podcast is hosted by a mere Quest Love Thompson, The Boss Man, Light Here, Saint Clair, So Black and the Black Myself, Fon, tigelow, Fonte Coleman, The Sugar.
Speaker 1: Steed Mandell, and Unpaid Bill Sherman.
Speaker 3: The executive producers are mere Quest Love Thompson, Sean g and the Unbothered Brian Calhoun. Produced by Brittany Benjamin, My Dog Cousin, Jake Payne, My Motherfucking Man, and like Ia Saint Clairs My work Wife. Edited by Alex Conroy. Produced for iHeart by Noel Brown and Mike Johns. Audio engineering by Graham Gibson aka DOUBLEG at Iheart's La Studio.
Speaker 1: Thank you for tuning in. Check us out next week. Must Loop Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 8: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.