Speaker 1: Bojo reword him.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Buddy Peace. I am a producer and editor, a DJ and music maker, true fushnik and for intro and outro purposes and temporarily standing in for a regular host and proud creator of this particular podcast. Mister Brett Goldstein, as Selene's song once said, I believe that a movie is a song. When it's all said and done, it has to move like a song. We talk about rhythm, we talk about tone. It just takes a really long time to make this song. But then I think of the song You Suffer by an Apalm Death, which is only one point three one six seconds long, and all the effort seems worthy, you know throughe that Selene. Every week Brett invites a guest on. He tells them they've died and then talks to them about their life through the medium of film. But this week we are revisiting an earlier episode of the podcast while we take an ever so quick break. Yes, indeed, is that time once more for a films to be buried with rewind Classic. This rewind is from November nineteenth, twenty twenty, originally episode one two to two, featuring comedian podcaster and writer Keema Bob. If you're unfamiliar with Kima, this is a delightful introduction to someone who has a strong foundation in the world of comedy and podcasting, and is just pure fun from the beginning. In the deciding of the lineup for these Rewine classic episodes, it's also lovely to look around in the present and see that guests are still out there doing great things. Bear in mind this episode is over three years old at this point, so I can safely say that you can enjoy Keema in a variety of media, be it stand up shows, television or podcasts. This episode, in particular, is a ton of fun going into Keieman's experience working with show friend Nish Kumar, death maths, hippie tripping and candy flipping, celebrating our inner babies, and crying into fires. Let me take this opportunity to also remind you that Brett has a Patreon page for the podcast, upon which you get a bonus section on every episode with a secret from each guest, more questions, and a video of each episode which looks very fresh. Indeed, there are a selection of tears on there too, and on the uppermost tiers. I make you a cinematic soundtrack mixtape each month with full track list that I reckon you'll enjoy very much. So if you're a supporting nature and feel like some extras from this show, you'll find them all there. So that is it for now. Let's get you settled in for a really fun look back at a lovely, joyful episode with the wonderful Keema Bob. All right, catch you at the end for a quick sign off, But for now, please enjoy episode one two, two Fire, Episode two, nine and two of Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Bett Goldstein and I'm joined today by a comedian, a writer, a sketch show maverick, a rapper about Dr Fauci, a singer, a songwriter, a guilty feminist, a podcaster, a hero, a legend write on the toilet, this show, A yes, I stand up beyond her own lifetime, be remembered forever, one of the greats to this show. It's the one that I came about.
Speaker 4: Wow, Wow, I clapping myself. Thank you. And there are moments in life where you say, how much does this person respect me? And based off of that introduction, more than I respect myself phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I'm a huge fan. I'm very grateful to you for doing this show. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be here. It's exciting. I will say before we get into it, this was so tough because I think I have like a horrible memory or something. I think I just watch things, I let them happen like I enjoy them, and and I just keep it moving. So this was really kind of like digging into like the vault, you know, Like I've always been the kind of person that if you ask me if I have a favorite movie, I'll be like, no, that's what I say.
Speaker 3: I'd say no, always with the same timing on the pause, no matter where or when that question is up.
Speaker 4: Yes, no.
Speaker 3: And that's because you don't remember any film you've seen, or because you don't wish to be tied to any moment in time. You're like doctor who.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just trying to move through it, baby, I'm just always flowing. I think there's some there are some standouts, but for a while, I never watched a movie more than once. I don't know, because for me, I think movies and shows are about escapism to an extent, It's about the story, like where is this going to take me? And it took me until fairly recently to begin to appreciate other things about them and other elements of them. So it's not just about you know, the plot of it and what I don't know and what I can't figure out, but like there are other elements to things, right, so how beautiful they are? And then like digging into the writing, like why was that so great? You know? But I think for a while I was just like, take me out of my life?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you want to make films?
Speaker 4: So I'm in a kind of I'm in a TV show place. I kind of like the like episodic structure of things where I feel like a film like it's like you have to encapsulate something ideally in like ninety minutes. You know some people that get really like bold and they're like, do you know what this is? Three hours? Enjoy it? And that's madness to me. But yeah, so the the idea of like beginning something and ending it in ninety minutes, as opposed to an exploration that could go on for seasons, I think it just sounds like so daunting.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do like an ending. I like to know what the end is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The fear with the TV shows if you don't know what the end is, if you're told, yeah, this could run and run. I go, oh that sounds bad.
Speaker 4: Then how long am I? How long am I going to have to watch this?
Speaker 3: Hey? How long am and? How long you're gonna have to string this out? But yeah, as we saw in the show Smallville, you can keep coming up with stuff.
Speaker 4: Did we see that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Then did I see that? You know? I know it's about like Superman in a small town, right, it's.
Speaker 3: About young, young Superman. And but what impressed me is I think it was nine seasons and the end is Lexley from Superman and not going to be best friends anymore because they were, but they managed for nine years to to be pals, to keep coming up with a little bit more. He's a little bit more, but they still he still hasn't figured it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's good bad stuff.
Speaker 3: Tell me this. So you you've just finished working on the Toilet Nis, which I yeah, episode of Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what it's important to note is that's not what it's called.
Speaker 3: Right, what was it called?
Speaker 4: It's called Hello America. Hello, okay, okay, any toilet Nish And yeah, so it was a really nice experience. Like n is a lovely person to work with, and I think a lovely person to write for, especially as far as like topical, you know, and like politically things go, like, it's really nice to write for, like a man of color who's not afraid to be like this is racist, because that's one of my favorite things to do.
Speaker 3: In fact, tell me this because people who listen to the podcast regularly. Nishkuma is a regular on the podcast. He's been more episodes than bad brand books.
Speaker 4: How can you even? How could you do this? A million times?
Speaker 3: We did end of year specials, We did stuff like that together. But the question I have for you, having worked on the brilliant Hello America on Quibi tell us secretly, what's niche like as like a boss?
Speaker 4: I would say, very similar to what he's like as a person, which is like really nice. Do you know what I mean? Because I've worked with people I know, right, you're hoping to get a bit more juicy. Yeah, yeah, unfortunately, just quite a chill dude. And I was like, I was like, this guy's gonna be a tyrant, and he refused. He refused the entire time. I think what I really respected about like the way that he was like managing the space, because like, I want to be in charge of something one day, and so every person that I work with work for, I try to like learn something from them, and I think something that, oh, you're gonna hate this, You're gonna hate this. Something that he kind of showed was like how to be the leader of something and make everyone feel important, smart, you know, and equal in the space and the team besides me, they'd work together on like the Mash Report. They have like a similar I mean everyone's British and they have like a similar like interest. I hate politics. I now know more about them than ever. I also hate that now. Yeah, so, but I think he did a great job of like keeping me in the loop. So they would talk about some random British guy from the eighties. I don't know who that is. I wasn't alive then or here. Then he'd be like, by the way, Kima Neil Kinnick ran for Prime Minister in nineteen eighty seven, and I'd be like, oh, thanks, because I was like, am I young, dumb? Or American. That's always like, I'm just like, why don't I know?
Speaker 3: This is checking in with the three? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then go oh fool young an American, A relief, A relief.
Speaker 3: Tell me this because I don't know this about you. You're from Texas, right yeah? And how long have you been here? And when did you move? And I mean that's the same question in a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're similar but different. I've been here for four years. September twenty sixteen is when I came over.
Speaker 3: Did you come here for comedy?
Speaker 4: I came here to dig into TV? Well, actually, I feel like that's the more like honorable way to put it, if you will. I came here because I was in LA before this, and my life was a fucking mess. I felt very directionless. I was doing a lot of what the kids call I think it's called like candy flipping or hippie tripping. I don't know. It's when you do molly and shrooms at the same time, great combination. But I didn't really know anyone who was doing anything like I wanted to do. I had some friends in stand up, but they were doing what the kids call smoking a shit ton of weed, right, yeah, do you how are you familiar? And I can't say that. I also was not doing that. I studied some improv out there and that was lovely, but it just, I don't know, I just didn't feel like I was on the right path. And for me, structure has always been like quite helpful. So I decided to go to school because I was like, I'd like to write shows and be in them, and I don't know about this industry at all. And I studied abroad in London before, which is how I knew that it was great. I also knew that it was far away from my problematic family, you know what I'm saying. I was like, Oh, if you can't find a way to establish healthy boundaries, what you can do is move to another country.
Speaker 3: Ex nice.
Speaker 4: It was brilliant, so brilliant, still pretty effective. The time difference it just throws everyone off. Yeah, and they go, they go, well, I don't know if I should call because I don't know what time it is, and I'm like, it was too late, That's what it was. It was too late. But yeah, so it's it was really helpful. So I went to school. I dug into stand up a bit more, graduated from a m A and TV program, realized that I'm not meant to be on that side of production because I'm not a good office lady. Yeah, and it's just been a weird full circle and I feel like, yeah, it was a great choice. I feel like I'm finding like where I'm supposed to be and I'm proud of myself for taking that leap. You know. Also, not candy tripping or hippie flipping.
Speaker 3: Candy candy tripping hippy flipping sounds fucking.
Speaker 4: Brilliant in moderation. In moderation.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I've forgotten to tell you something.
Speaker 4: Okay, Ah shit, I'm terrified.
Speaker 3: Oh oh no, no, I should have I should have said it before. Actually, oh no, we've just been chatting away.
Speaker 4: Having a good time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we enjoy I'm certainly enjoying myself. But I've had this in my back pocket the whole time. I guess, Oh, do you know what it's absolutely when you hear it, you're going to be like, it's so weird. You didn't open with that, and I can't argue with that. Oh man, yeah.
Speaker 4: You're gotta tell me. I'm over here.
Speaker 3: I should tell you die. Yeah, No, I should tell you you're not just dying, You've you've died. You've died.
Speaker 4: That's huge.
Speaker 3: It's big, It's undoubtedly big. Yeah, how did you die?
Speaker 4: Ideally, not violently agree. I feel like it's a sexy old death. Right. So I'm in like my eighties, seventies, eighties, and I like a rich old white man have had a heart attack by bhoning my much younger lover. Yes, yeah, good vibes good.
Speaker 3: It's a lovely way to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so a kind of like coming and going.
Speaker 3: Coming and going. Yeah, rich white man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the vibe.
Speaker 3: That's a beautiful day. That's my favorite one.
Speaker 4: I think so because I think people don't think that. Ladies who were you know, geriatric, are you know, trying to get it in. But I'm determined.
Speaker 3: How long have you been with your young lover?
Speaker 4: Well it was after a string of divorces, okay, and so this was a kind of more recent love affair because I go through them so quickly.
Speaker 3: And I don't listen. I don't want to say this, but the press, certainly will was the lover with you because they loved you or for your money.
Speaker 4: It was a combo because I'm intoxicating, right, But also with the financial aspect, you know. Yeah, and that's how you do it. You gotta encircle in passion and desire, just a confusion of love and.
Speaker 3: Lust and then drop dead underneath them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they can never move.
Speaker 3: On well because they're stuck in illegal back to for a very long time trying to sort the money from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the estate the state is the largest.
Speaker 3: State litigious nightmare. That turns out to me because you've got how many kids who are also fighting over it?
Speaker 4: So many Because at one point I get so rich that I decide that what I want to do is do a lot of teenage adoption things so that people like I just want to get more people in on my will. So you know, there are a lot of like kids, you know out there. They're sixteen, they're seventeen, and they're like, I'm not going to find the forever family. And I say, hey, I'm not a great mom, but I am rich, so you can come be in my family. I'll send you to whatever you want if you want to go to college or just like invest in you and you can be my baby or not. But what you will be is a bit rich. Now.
Speaker 3: So you've had so many teenage adopted kids. Yeah, that your young lover in a way once. Yeah, if they ever do manage to divide up the estate, it's not actually that much.
Speaker 4: It's about they haven't done the math because they're a bit dumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a shame because they've sort of all of them, including the young lover, have kind of, yeah, sort of gambled their entire future on your will and.
Speaker 4: Well, you know that's not that's not on me.
Speaker 3: So that's not nothing, that's not nothing. But a lovely man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred. I'd say several meals because they need to learn how to budget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could have like seven Nando's lovely time.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: They could go to Spain. Yes, they get there, they'd be out of money.
Speaker 4: But they can't do anything there but the airport. Right, they might be able to get like a pastry and coffee, classic thing to do in Spain. Doesn't happen anywhere else. But they could do that in the airport.
Speaker 3: And then just walk to the beach. I would do that. Oh God, I hope I'm one of your teenage ye.
Speaker 4: I'd say never too old to be adopted as a teen Thank you?
Speaker 3: Do you worry about death, I used to more.
Speaker 4: I think it does feel like this like looming dark thing, right, But I think when I was younger, I was really really concerned with it. And I don't know why. But there was one night where my dad was dropping me off at my grandma's house to spend the night, and I was like, I don't want you to go, because what if you die? And he said, and you could tell like he was just really like thinking on his feet. He said, probably the best and worst thing, right, And he goes, hey, I'm not gonna die for a long time. First of all, you don't know that, Choason know that, right, And he goes, hell, do you now? And I say eight? And then he goes, okay, well I'm not gonna die until you're eleven times eight. He just does math at this point, he just does math and he goes, I'm not gonna die until you're eighty eight. That is that's nonsense, absolute nonsense. And at that point and then so then I was a bit soothed, but I just started like a countdown. Oh god, yeah, yeah, what it's just Dad Brandon. He was like, oh shit, like I don't know what to do with this, and he was like, well, I will die, but not today, ha ha, not today.
Speaker 3: Do you think he said the math spit to kind of confuse you and hope that it would keep your brain busy eleven times eight and you'd spend a week trying to like, what.
Speaker 4: Is that math?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 4: Is that really eighty eight? Yeah? It was weird. It was weird, but say a bit less concerned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so far he stuck to it.
Speaker 4: Because I'm not eighty eight. Yeah, yeah, those are the rules at this point, he is obligated, I'd say, probably legally.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm definitely. So you say you stopped worrying about it so much? Is it because you're getting you realize eighty eight is quite far away.
Speaker 4: I think it's a thought that I somewhat avoid, but then I realized. I think when I was younger, I had this thought. It feels kind of egotistical. I was just like, I don't want to end. I don't want to end, which is a weird one. But I think as I've started to think about like purpose a bit more like why what am I meant to be doing here? What am I doing? I feel more are led by that and less afraid of dying. Do you know what I mean. So I'm like, as long as I do or pursue what I feel like I'm meant to do, you know, then we're okay. But I do I think it's a thought I try to avoid.
Speaker 3: I guess, what's your special purpose?
Speaker 4: I feel like inviting others to heal through healing myself, and that part of that is self acceptance and self awareness, right, And I think that until we acknowledge and own our whole story, right, our whole life, we're not able to truly like accept ourselves or be aware of ourselves. So just kind of a mishmash of that, I think. And I feel like the stand Up for Me is a great starting place in that, because my stuff, at least is kind of about understanding myself and the world around me and kind of owning the weird and crazy shit that I do or that I am, and inviting others to see that. I don't know, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's it's around there, and I think I'm always kind of zeroing in on it more and more, But yeah, it's around that, I think, because I think just we're all sad little babies wrapped in like society's conditioning, you know, and when you meet someone and they're like really defensive or mean or maybe even like overly giving, you know, like underneath all that, it's just like a sad little baby.
Speaker 3: I totally totally get that. And I have a thing sometimes I'm sure you have this irrational disliking a people where it's like I've got in why I don't like this. Oh yeah, there's someone at the gym. I got no literally no reason to hate it. He's done nothing, but he talks to you know what I mean, likes there's no cry, but I'm sickened by him.
Speaker 4: And maybe your baby.
Speaker 3: Well no, And then the other day I saw his baby. I saw okay baby, and suddenly I'm like, I love him and I want to protect Yeah, because I just saw his face. He was doing a stretch and he saw he saw a dog and he did this face like his face went all like a little baby when he saw the.
Speaker 4: Dog, like did he love the dog? Was afraid of the dog.
Speaker 3: He was like kind of slightly in awe of the dog. He was like a dog. And I thought, yeah, yeah, right, And I can see you're just a sad little baby, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry that it's a weird one. And it's always like a part of that for me is trying to understand myself little baby better because there are some people where I have that feeling about them and I go, are you bad? Or am I bad? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and then sometimes the answer is like neither, but just my sad little baby is perturbed by this person. There's one person who won't like me the way I like to be liked, who doesn't talk to me, and she doesn't talk to me bad, but she doesn't talk to me how I need to be talked to, like I like to be affirmed, and she just won't do it, and it kills me. It kurls me, and I can't tell. I'm still like is this my fault? Or like are you withholding? Or like am I just do? I just need something from you that you're not meant to get.
Speaker 3: Probably without you know, and remind you of your mom or your dad?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Do you know the spot? You've got it? You know that phrase? No? So I think it's a thing from a recovery program, which is that's part And I think this with the guy at the gym. It's like if you if you hate someone or something really annoys you and you're like that fucking fucking person, ninety percent of the time, it is because actually they're like you, what the thing that's annoying you is something you fear about yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so.
Speaker 3: That's the question I'm always asking myself when when I irrastally hate someone, I'm like, why is it because I think that they're the worst part of me? They're the thing I'm afraid I am.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh one hundred percent. And it's like you go, you go, what's my deal? And then when you can't figure it out? That is the worst. Oh, it's the worst because I don't like to not like people. It makes me feel quite bad. But I think that's also problematic because you're not meant to really like like everyone or like love everyone. So it's just kind of I don't know, but yeah, so digging into that and sorting that shit out, get in to know my baby and inviting other people to like, get to know their baby, because world just babies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes you got to find a baby. If you find someone difficult, look for their baby. That's what I say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apout the baby, there's the baby.
Speaker 3: And sometimes it's just in their face when they don't know you're looking.
Speaker 4: When they when they when they see a dog, when they.
Speaker 3: See a dog. Sure, in the telling the story, I realize that I'm quite a creepy guy at the gym is just staring at a guy.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happens at the gym, So I just assumed that was very normal to do.
Speaker 3: Just secretly hate someone across the gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ah, that's what people do.
Speaker 3: Like lifting, lifting and hating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's how you push it up, right, Like when you're like, I don't know if I have it in men that guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Motivation.
Speaker 3: Do you think there's enough to life?
Speaker 4: It's a weird one. I can't. I can't really decide. I don't know. I feel like humans are so fucking basic. I just feel like we could be doing better, like together, you know, in like this one. So when I think about like an after one, I'm stuck between the idea of us like coming back or it's just going into like the earth, do you know what I mean. I'm like, did trees used to be people?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So stuck between that and the idea.
Speaker 3: Of trees are people who've been punished and frozen into trees. Now the trees standing there screaming at us, but we can't hear them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well is it good or is it bad? You know? And I think the like kind of heaven and hell?
Speaker 3: This thing.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's a bit too simple and weird. You know. Maybe I just feel like that because of the good place. I was like, whoa ted dancing really turned my whole idea of that stuff upside down. Yeah, I don't know. I feel like it's just it's not simple.
Speaker 3: Well came it turns out? Is there is a heaven?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Am I in it because I died?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're in it. And it's got all your favorite stuff. It's got rooms, it's got it's got music.
Speaker 4: Young lovers, young are their young lovers.
Speaker 3: There's a stack of young lovers. There's teenagers who won't yeah, adopted.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm not going to have sex with them.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to have sex with those ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's every restaurant you could think of, and all the prices are one hundred quid, which is all the money from your will. But that replenishes. It's got it all, but in this heaven they're obsessed, obsessed with film wow, and they won't know about your life. But they won't know about your life through film wow. First thing they ask you, what's the first film you remember seeing? Chemopop?
Speaker 4: Well, well, first of all, after life people, thank you for taking an interest?
Speaker 3: Oh great, we've been following you for years?
Speaker 4: Is wow?
Speaker 3: I would you like to hear you guys?
Speaker 4: Are you guys? Are hoo? So the first movie that I have supposedly seen was The Lion King. So I am told that my mother brought me to the movies as a baby. And though yeah, what a controversial decision on her part, Yes, and though I don't remember that viewing, every time I watch it and every time I have watched it since then, I do feel a kind of like significance of that, if that makes sense. So it does feel like the first movie I've ever seen of that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That's fucking great. Well, so you were proper babies like a mother and baby screening or justice screening?
Speaker 4: Who even knows. I feel like she was like that bold woman who was like, let's take this baby to the movies. Yeah, it's a weird one.
Speaker 3: Did she say you were well behaved? Because I'd have issues with this guy. Now.
Speaker 4: She didn't even mention my beha, you're bad or good? I don't know if she cared.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know the answer to that. What's it? What an opening movie?
Speaker 4: Let's call her up? Yeah? Why not? I think I.
Speaker 3: Also want to know if when in the opening sequence of the Thanking, when they held up Simba, if.
Speaker 4: She held she also held me out.
Speaker 3: To the screen, call her now, get her on.
Speaker 4: She's like, Kate Kima, you are the you are a little baby. I want to see if this Yeah, so it did. It came out in nineteen ninety four, and I was born in nineteen ninety four, so I feel like I had to been relatively fresh.
Speaker 3: Oh you're not going to call your mom?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, because of the time difference. It's just because of the time difference. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That keeps paying off, don't it. What's the film that made you cry? The vice?
Speaker 4: I would say, call me by your name, hit me with huge tears at the end. And in the fire, Yeah, everyone's crying into the fire. I feel like the fire lasts long enough for you to like, like he's crying into it. Your you're just like mirroring him, You're just like crying back at him. You guys are having a bit of a tear contest. And the fire lasts for a long time, but it's like as long as you need it to. Then the movie goes off and you just sit in there and you're like, love. It doesn't always go how how you wish, but it can change your life forever. And then you go I want that, and you go have I had that? And then you go no, And then you go no, I'm gonna cry some more for what is missing?
Speaker 3: Have you had that? Since? No?
Speaker 4: Sad, there's still time.
Speaker 3: Oh you've got to your ata.
Speaker 4: I think yeah.
Speaker 3: But ideally that's how you have that sort of genetic in your family. You'll die.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it. That's when that's when it happens for us. That's when it goes to. But I feel like, ideally it would have happened when I was like, you know, sixteen year old boy at my like family home in Italy.
Speaker 3: You think it, Yeah, it would have been ideal with an older sort of inappropriate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go, hey, is this is this age gap incorrect? Is this is this is this naughty?
Speaker 3: We encourage it.
Speaker 4: No, it's cool. It's eighties or nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you cry a lot?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I was thinking about this quite recently. There's a special kind of I think relationship you have to have with people that you like watch movies with where you're comfortable.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean? Because what I end up doing with some of my friends, it's just a little off to the side where it's just like, wipe it. You gotta give it a little a little wipe. Whereas when I'm watching a movie with like my mom or my grandma, generally it'll like hit us all at like the same point and then we're just like quietly, like we're looking at each other, be like like I can always tell in a movie, like watching a movie with my mom when she's gonna do it, you know, like oh but yeah, oh yeah, oh oh oh yeah, that's how I feel when I'm gonna cry, like oh yeah, release, release those tears are Yeah.
Speaker 3: What film scared you the most.
Speaker 4: I'm not a fan of horror or thriller. I don't like to be thrilled. You can do all the murdering in the world, but if you add like a thrilling element. I'm very uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: You just want cold, brutal murders with any suspense.
Speaker 4: No suspense. I can't take it. I'm too fragile. I think growing up watching like seeing there's like nightmare on Elm Street, like Freddy Krueger vibes really unsettling, really unsettling, and like the idea of something like killing you in your sleep, because how do you avoid that?
Speaker 3: You have to stay awake? What do you know?
Speaker 4: What I mean? So now you can't sleep because you might get killed in it. I think sometimes in the scary movies it's like, don't go toward that sound. Yeah, you know what I mean. But in that it's like be awake all the time.
Speaker 3: You should see well you shouldn't. Paranormal activity. You ever seen that?
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: The message of that one is don't go to bed with anyone else in your bed because they might be sort of possessed demon while you sleep, standing by the bed, just watching your sleep. You don't want that, No, you don't.
Speaker 4: But all the sleep.
Speaker 3: Death yeaherable because you're vulnerable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your brain is in a different waves. And not everyone I do, but not everyone sleeps with a weapon in hand.
Speaker 3: What's the exact weapon?
Speaker 4: Just a knife? Butter a butter one. So I probably shouldn't have even admit that it's not that good.
Speaker 3: But that's better. If you roll onto it, you're putting gonna be right. But it's still cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a bit of a yeah. Yeah, I just gotta hope I'm about to get murdered by butter and then that will be good.
Speaker 3: Well, so, okay, that's fascinating. What film is not critically acclaimed? Most people don't like it? Yeah, you love it unconditionally.
Speaker 4: That's heavy feelings to put upon such films, right, yeah, unconditionally. Wow, that's big. Do you see a movie forty three?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 4: Have you seen it?
Speaker 3: That is a huge and bold answer, and I respect you for it.
Speaker 4: I feel like some people are like not into it weirdly, and I just think it's a silly mishmash of crazy things and I'm here for I support it. I think it's really funny. I think it brings together like it gets so weird love a love weird. Like here's like the level of like acceptable weirdness, and I'm like, ramp it up. Do you know what I mean? Let's take it boom. Okay, people are comfortable with the weirdness on seven. Hey, I want to see it at fifteen please, Yeah. It was on forty three, which is just beyond so I was here for that. Yeah, you got to see a lot of strange stuff.
Speaker 3: Since Hugh Jackman have bollocks on his neck.
Speaker 4: Yes he did, he did. There was a testicle neck thing going on. A fun moment with like parents trying to give the kid like a high school experience or whatever by like bullying them, which is just so fun's they're like, he's homeschooled, and then it kind of escalates where trying to give him like romantic experiences or whatever, which is just fucking weird. And they have like neighbors over and they're describing to them how he has like a girlfriend, and then he's like, oh, my girlfriend is here, and then it's like a face on a broom and then they're like they're like, oh, what a pretty girl, and and he's like thank you with the face of It's just fun stuff. But yeah, I don't know. I feel like people hate things all the time, but critics, critics can suck my butt. That's what I tell him. But not. If they're gonna like that, then I say, well, you're gonna have to do something else.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to suck a different part of me.
Speaker 4: Yeah that you don't want to suck. Yeah, how about that, critics, But whatever they have to do, it involves sucking.
Speaker 3: That's the only way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dumb, No, No, it's tough, niees niees ah. Yeah, that's tough, but it's surprice. It's the price they have to pay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the film that you used to love? You loved it, and then you've watched it recently and you've got no. No, I don't love this anymore.
Speaker 4: It's tough because I feel like there are things politically that I'm supposed to not stand up, but sometimes you could just let it go. So I feel like politically tropic Thunder might be one, but I still love it, so I'm not I'm not willing to let that go. When I was young, and I don't want to be judged by you. I'm not going to have it. I'm not going to have judge from forty three. No, don't you even try.
Speaker 3: I'm not even started on judge.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm judging myself.
Speaker 3: Maybe you need to find a little baby in me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's judging you and it's actually the baby inside it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, baby inception it is. We know the Scary Movie franchise.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I'm actually a massive fan of it.
Speaker 4: Well that's tough. That's tough. So I think watching the first one, I found it like so funny. Right, I'm relatively young at the time, and the humor is just ha ha ha. And then you you look at them. I don't remember which one it was. There was this whole like plot point around a guy at this I guess house that they're at having like a tiny hand yeah, and then you just go, that's not a thing. Yeah, that's it's not And then I forget someone like smokes maybe they smoke a bit of a reefer, and then they get like I don't know if they have sex with the weed or they have like a giant dick or something. But then there's like all this jizz and you just go, m Also, something that they did I think it was the first Scary movie was they had like I want to say, Carmen Elektra, I don't know, one of those like hot ladies from the like nineties or whatever. She was running from like the Murderer, and one of the things that was, like the whole point of the scene is like her boobs are bouncing as she's like running, and like that just is like prolonged or whatever. And so I guess things like that, you go, well, this is a bit I don't know. Yeah, it's not even like it's gross, not even like it's misogynists, but I'm just like there's not enough payoff, you know what I mean, Yeah, it's a bit immature, but yeah, so I think those would be the ones where I'm like ha ha ha ha ha. And and now I'm just kind of like, all.
Speaker 3: Right, came in for the record, I don't judge you for that, So.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 4: It means a lot. I feel lighter, good, good.
Speaker 3: What is the film? Oh my god? That means the most to you. Not necessarily the film itself is any good, but because the experience you had seeing it would always make that film special to you.
Speaker 4: They're kind of not to be like a lot of movies like this, right, But I think I'm one of those people. Music does it a bit more where it just take you to a place, and I think this movie kind of does that. So the first time I watched it, I was like younger and I watched it by myself. This movie is bring it on.
Speaker 3: Wow, great film, Bring it on.
Speaker 4: You gotta bring it on. So the first time I watched it, I wasn't a cheerleader. I was a person watching a movie and I was like, this is funny. I watched it later I was a cheerleader. I watched it with my team, and I just understood it so much more. I felt connected to them and connected to it in a different way. And it was also like an interesting year because I was living in California with like my aunt that year who owned a like cheer company, and so I'm living so this is a like kind of tumultuous year in my life. Cheerleading is happening something that I had never previously been really into, but something that I kind of almost had to do. It was like the after school activity, and we were always like at a cheer gym. So there's a lot of kind of I guess, energy around this activity, which was the central theme in this film, a film that also had to do with like an outsider. I always kind of find those kind of interesting, Like it had to do with a person becoming a part of this world, which I kind of related to bringing up baby classic.
Speaker 3: You're first cheerleader I've ever met. Wow, I don't think, do you know what? That's pretty?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, because you you know, you always carry a bit of spirit and pep inside of you. But yeah, it's it's one of those things where you just kind of you just kind of leave it, you just leave it behind. You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously got lots of questions about your mum and your auntie in that year.
Speaker 4: But yeah, oh, I feel like it's a big one where I think that is a part of my little baby that I'm still kind of dealing with because I think just childhoods are crazy this time ten eleven, yeah around there. But I think the part that my little baby is trying to reckon with is how much it was for me to deal with, because I think sometimes when adults are dealing with like big things, things like well, at least I felt like, I know, I felt kind of like in the way or like an afterthought, if you will. So it was just a weird year of kind of being like sent away for the best yea, being taken care of by my aunt who had always lived in California, whereas I'd always lived in Texas, under such weird circumstances and no one really talking to me about how I feel about them. Then getting into you know, this sport that I had never really considered to be one, being a part of a team, realizing that I've not been very like physically active. I was very much like watching TV kid, So then being like, oh, my body can do this stuff like that's crazy, that's very cool. But yeah, so it was just a weird fucking year, I think, and none of them have been like that, so I think because I lived there for that year. Then I went back to Texas, went back to my old school. But yeah, so that year was just kind of like a standout. And I think that's also why I have like an affinity for Los Angeles, just like because I got to know it in a weird way then, And yeah, I grew up a bit.
Speaker 3: Thank you. What is the film you most relate to?
Speaker 4: Mean Girls? Baby?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 4: So sad I am Lindsay Lohan, classic Lindsay Lohan, you gotta be And I think what I related to with that character because around the time I saw this, I think it was like middle school. So the first chunk, I guess of my life. The little chunk was in a kind of more urban, but not really I don't know what urban means. Is that like downtown, do you know what I mean? Not like racist urban, which just means like vaguely like hip hoppy black. Yeah, but it wasn't like a suburb. But it wasn't like city, do you know what I mean? So I lived in an area. I lived in an area. There was an area, Yeah, it was an area. There were more black people in this area. And we moved from that area to like a legit suburb. It was outside of Houston and the school that I went to. But even like so before when I was in the area, I was going to a school. It was a charter school, uh, and it was I won't be like it was for like kids that were like gifted or something, but I don't know. It was a kind of mishmash of kids, and I didn't really feel like I holy fit in there. Then I moved to the full of like white people have different like socioeconomic means and there I don't know. I feel like my social life as a like teenager was always kind of all over the place. So I was in smart classes or whatever. So I had my group of friends there. We kind of identified with that, like that was a part of like who we were. But then I was also like loosely in athletics, which is just when they rotate you through sports or like at one point they're like, you're gonna do volleyball. Never got it, never good at that. Then they're like, now it's basketball time. Never got it, never get it. Now it's like track time. And I was like, oh, I never got it, but you have to do one of them. So I ended up like running really badly. Then in high school, a lot of my friends were like in band. At one point I was in like chess club. I don't know why. I was just looking for something to do. I don't remember how to play that. I got into theater later on, and cheerleading was going on, and it was just a lot of kind of you know, you always see those movies about like American high schools and how they have like the lunch tables that are like so divided and all these different things, and I kind of found myself fluttering from like these groups, like from group to group. A social Butterfly if you will WI. But I think in all of this there was that kind of pressure to fit in and that kind of like popularity thing. And I think through different phases, I did feel a pressure to be a part of like a cool group. And watching Mean Girls it kind of digs into how it's all bullshit, you know, And I really really enjoyed seeing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, and it's everyone's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and conformity is insane and like I love to this day when you see like teen girls and they think that they're all original because they've all decided to like wear the same outfit. Yeah, you're missing the thing. Yeah, you miss the movie further the best movie?
Speaker 3: Up? What's the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 4: Oh, I want to go back. I want to go back to call me by your name. It would be a toss up. And I don't know why. The sexiest films I've ever seen are like one gay movie or another gay movie. Okay, what's blue is the warmest color? That's the way right right, And there's this, uh, there's controversy around both of them. Whatever. I mean, I grew up with the male gaze. Yeah, and people are like blues warms color, male gays, male gays, and I'm like lady gays. Yeah, I think just like the tension, right, And I think whenever there's like, uh like stuff going on with the person's like identity and what they like, they can't admit that they like desire something. I think that kind of tension I really enjoy. But yeah, Heart movie, I just love an extended sex scene as well. I'm just kind of like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm picking that name. Yeah, yeah, came. There's a subcategory to this question, traveling boner is worrying? Why does Yeah, it's the film you found arousing but you thought perhaps you shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Hey, is this bad? That's tough because I'm a horny I'm a horny little creep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's just it's just the facts. Yeah, I don't know. If I'm not supposed to find this heart, I'll do two of them. But I think we are supposed to find them hot. I'm confused by it. One would be Hal's Moving Castle, cartoon vibe, anime vibe. I would say maybe anime light. I don't know. I don't know much about the genre. So Hal is like the main like dude, and I think we are supposed to find him hot, maybe not as much as I do. And I think what bothers me about finding him hot is like the voice is Christian Bale and that's just disturbing to me.
Speaker 3: That is disappointing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you know what I mean? But he's just a hot ass cartoon Edward Scissor hands fun right, Okay, I can't confuse sometimes, like is this supposed to be hot? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's it's a passionate film about a man with Scissar's friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's that's worrying, just because what is he going to do with those hands? You know?
Speaker 3: I think the thing without decisions, which I love with all my heart. There is always the question of why at any point did the man who made him give him scissors friends, Like one says like if he was like more of a Swiss army knife. And yes, they were practical, right you go, yeah, yeah, you have one cison, then maybe have a screwdriver and there, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: A wine opener. Yeah. It's weird because like he loved him, right, he like misses his father or whatever. But also like that guy was fucked up. He could have easily gave him regular hands.
Speaker 3: He was just about to yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But then he died, killed him. Yeah, it's yeah, it's a heavy one. And I guess the reason why I go because he just seems like so like vulnerable, and you go, are you supposed to be attracted to this person, this being? You know, he just like I don't know, Well, he seems like you're just like, is he okay? Yeah, so maybe not. There's a lot to deal with.
Speaker 3: I'd like to have seen him go to therapy at the end of the film and just, yeah, just address the fact that there's probably some residual anger to his creative Yeah.
Speaker 4: Love totally such a complicated relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, objectively, what's the greatest film of all time?
Speaker 4: Tough? So I told you up top, not a person who has a favorite film, right, I will tell you a film that I really really enjoy that I don't think enough people know about The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.
Speaker 3: Dolly Parton love it Reynolds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think what I love about it is it's like old. Yeah, there's that element where I think it might be seventies, eighties something like that. I think, and Dolly Parton is the Madam, if you will, of this brothel, and it's like a it's a musical. It's a musical said in a brothel, you know. Bert Reynolds is like this police officer who like is in love with her, you know, and he's trying to look out for the girls. The girls love the girls. They love their stories and songs, and there's dancing, and I just I think I saw when I was quite young, and I think any movie with like that kind of like a kind of forbidden theme, if you will. Hedwig and the Angry Inch vibes, like any movie that has to do with like sexuality or like taboos, if you will, that explores that stuff but embraces them, I think is something that I've always really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love that one.
Speaker 4: It's a good one.
Speaker 3: What's the film you can or have watched the most over and over again.
Speaker 4: I'd go super Bad, I'd go Bridesmaids. Yeah. I really love silly things. I don't know if you know this about me. I enjoy comedy. I like it.
Speaker 3: This has come as a bit of a shock, but okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's good stuff, and so super Bad ignites the teen boy within. There's a baby in me, but there's also a teen boy. Yeah, I'd like yeah, and I want to say, hey, I'll help you get a fake idea. Yeah, I think like just the the humor in both of them is so delicious.
Speaker 3: That brings me to my other question, which is, what's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 4: What we do in the Shadows is it? Do you know what? I could probably watch that a million times, you know, so funny, not in its blah blah blah blah blah. I can't figure out how to watch things here, not in its entirety. So I watched a couple episodes and I dug it. I think I missed Jermaine right, I missed that presence, and I miss the white TT the white tt of it all. But I did, I dude enjoy the show. I can never figure out how to watch things from inside the UK.
Speaker 3: It is tricky. We don't like to be negative. Will be quick. What's the worst film I ever saw?
Speaker 4: Really mean? There was a movie that I was watching, hate watching if you will, Halloween, and it is a movie called Bones. It is from two thousand and one. The graphics are really bad and It is about the ghost of a neighborhood. He like haunts this neighborhood. His name is Jimmy Bones and he is played by Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jimmy Bones with Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's sometimes manifest as like a dog. And it was just it was just really bad. It was just really bad, so bad that it was good and it wasn't a comedy, but we were all laughing.
Speaker 3: There was a phase of about ten years where Snoop Dogg was making horror and pornography. Is that right? I don't know about the Doggie Dog's dog House or something, and it was.
Speaker 4: I must find out about it. But that sounds like a combo. He was like, if I'm gonna make films, yeah, what kind of films? What I love to make? That's heavy's check, that's beautiful. But yeah, Bones, I would say recommend also a bad Goodie ree for madness. Oh really, yeah, it's so stupid. It's great.
Speaker 3: It's about public service film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's from like the thirties or forties, some shit like that. And it's like, these are young teenagers, they're good kids, nothing's wrong with their life, and then they try to refer and like by the end they're like dead and pregnant and all sorts of shit. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: That sounds fun, A good one. You've been phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: However, when you were eighty eight, which is genetically when all members of your family die, which was a warning. I guess I think you suspected because you were like, it's happening at some point. Yeah, and in your will you'd left one hundred quid to all your adopted teenage yeah, with all your former lovers, but which at this point was a ship time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so many.
Speaker 3: You're in bed and your four past to bed is a massive bed because you're very wealthy, and there's a young lever on top of you riding away. You have time, and they're very good at this, by the way.
Speaker 4: So good that I'm transported.
Speaker 3: You're transported not just out of your body, but to the other side. And you come and you die, and your young your young lover steps up. You're like, oh my god, I think I've I've killed her. Yeah, I would rush over. What's happened the lover? Guys, I think I think I killed her. No, No, how old was she and the lover gues eighty eight. That was I have brought a coffin because I've been watching the clock. It's about time. Yeah, I brought you.
Speaker 4: Understand what dead o' clock is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the coffin is the size of you. And you're not the size that you were because your young lover has absolutely come on. Absolutely you're's let's just say, there's sex ephemera all over you. Yeah, and it's scary movie levels of ye eme yeah, and which is a lovely thing.
Speaker 4: That's how I want to go. That's how I want to go.
Speaker 3: But it's it's it's increased the size of you quite significantly.
Speaker 4: Even though it was pounded to a pulp.
Speaker 3: You were pounded to a boat, but then built up by the amount of yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, phenomenal. Yeah, look at your vocabulary. If I'm in so many ways, so many ways to save jeers or.
Speaker 3: Juice, Jesus and juice. Yeah, as Snoop Dogg once said, sipping on jeers.
Speaker 4: And juice, Yeah, laid back.
Speaker 3: So I'll come in right. I've got to chop you up because you're not going to fit in the in the cove and as you are, luckily there's a button knife under your pillow where you always keep it. For Get the butt knife. Me and your young leverage. Just chop it. It takes a while, man, this button knife is not very sharp.
Speaker 4: Put it not a great decision. But you know, it's just that's how I lived and how I died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she died by the knife. By the button knife. Anyway, manage chop you up that stuff you in. The coffin is packed, yes, packed, it's jammed. There's really only enough room in this coffin for one DVD that I can slip into the side to send you to the other side. And on the other side this movie night every night, and one night it's your movie night. What film are you going to take to show everyone when it's your movie night in Heaven?
Speaker 4: I think I might bring a Watchman with me.
Speaker 3: What a lovely choice, I think.
Speaker 4: So it's long, so we'll get time to hang out at some point. You know, you get violence, you get space, you get superheroes, you get a sex sequence in a robotic owl. You get a raw shack being so strange and he's just so broody. I've forgot better every about it. Yeah, yeah, I think I'd have a bit of that, you know, excellent.
Speaker 3: Choice, Chema before you leave us, Is there anything you'd like to tell anyone to look out for or to watch or to listen to.
Speaker 4: I just want people to listen to their Bob.
Speaker 3: You've been wonderful. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good night, good too, good night and good day.
Speaker 3: Good night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was Keema Bob on a rewind classic episode. Be sure to check out the Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein, where you get extra chat, video and mixtapes at Various Tears and otherwise. If you fancy leaving a note on Apple podcasts, that will be lovely too, but make it a review of your favorite film. Much more fun and Brett and maure In love nothing more than reading him. It is gratefully appreciated. Thank you so much to Keima for fun times and presents on the podcast. Thanks to Scrubius pipping the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to and this is where Brett thanks me for editing and producing the podcast, so I say in return, it is a pleasure. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and Lisa Alidam for the photography. We'll be back next week with another rewind classic. But that is it for now, Brett and I and all of us films to be buried with I hope you're all very well in the meantime, have a lovely week, and now more than ever, be excellent to each other