Speaker 1: What is that email from Facebook about your saved payment information really mean? Amazon has yet another new fee even for prime members. eBay embraces AI as a way to help you sell your stuff faster. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Schamiro and this is Rich on Tech broadcasting live from Los Angeles, coast to coast. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Phone lines are now open. Let me press the button here, there we go, triple A rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you have a burning tech question, Oh, that's the only thing. If that's the only burning thing, we answer here. If you have a burning tech question, give me a call triple a rich one oh one. Email is also open. Just go to rich on tech dot tv, hit the contact button and be sure to get your feedback in for the end of the show. Let me know what I do right, maybe let me know what I do wrong, or just comment on whatever you like. I'll get that in at the end of the show some great guests. This week, we're going to talk to the head of Uber Live in Sports to explain how Uber Eats is now at stadiums nationwide. Yes, you can order Uber Eats from your seat. I'll explain what that all means. Jen call Trid of Mozilla is going to talk about how our cars are spying on us. This is a big topic of conversation. This week. Mozilla Foundation came out with a big report about all the different ways our cars are watching everything we do. So Jen, we'll talk about that, and then later in the show, Julian Vargas, mobile access technology specialist will explain some of the latest ways that tech is helping the blind and low vision users. We got a lot lined up today. I'm back from Berlin. As you might imagine, I tried the mobile passport at the airport. I had to connect, thank you. I had to connect at Newark and let me tell you the line for the Okay, so I was very embarrassed. I was walking off the plane with a bunch of colleagues that were also at the show. I went to EFO Berlin, and so we all took the flight from Berlin to Newark, which you know I'm from New Jersey, so I have a fond appreciation of all things Jersey, and Newark is one of them. I've been to that airport many, many times, but this time I had to go through the passport control and so we're all getting off the plane. All the people I'm with peeled off into the what's it called Global what's it? Let's it's like TSA, but it's like for Global Global Entry. And they all go there and like, Rich, you don't have Global Entry. We thought you traveled a lot. And I was so embarrassed. It was like a total like diss like dude, what's your deal? And I was like, no, I never signed up for that. So they all go through Global Entry. It takes them about one second to exit the airport. I go in this line that is absolutely massive, and I'm not kidding. I had to change my flight twice while I was in that line because I missed my flight twice because of how long this line was. And my wife, of course, you know, she's on the text and I'm complaining to her and she's like, well, just tell someone, And of course I don't want to do that, because you know, I know that I'm gonna be publicly shamed if I try to say anything out loud. So sure enough, when I get close enough to the person with the red jacket on this says ask me for help, I say, hey, you know, I'm gonna miss my flight because of this line, like I already had to change my flight twice. And no joke, he says to me. He goes, everyone in this line has a connection and everyone's missing their flight, So you're you know, you're not special, buddy, And I was like, wow, what a nice welcome back to the US. Long story short, I did make it on my flight. It did take forever. It was fine. Thankfully Newark has a bunch of flights back to la like almost one every hour. But I will tell you my pro tip. So when I was changing my flight the first time, because my flight was actually delayed the first time, so I had to I couldn't do it from the app for some reason. So I called in and the person changed the flight. It was just fine. But then at the end before they hung up, I said, hey, real quick, before you go, can I get anything because my flight is delayed? Like can you give me like a credit or something, or you know, some sort of whatever, and she's like, oh, I can't, but you know, I'll submit something for you and they'll let you know within the next week. And I was like, okay, they kind of like just passed me off, right. Well, sure enough, when I landed, I had an email from the airline five hundred dollars credit. Amazing. I was so happy, and I said, you know what, all the a role of this day, all the stuff. I tell you this not to brag in the fact that I have five hundred dollars in my travel bank, but I tell you this because next time, just ask. Literally all I did was ask. I just said the magic words at the end, Hey, is there anything you can do for me? And it was literally as she was hanging up the phone when I asked that, so oh hold on and yes, sure, I'll put something in for you. Five hundred dollars for just asking a single question. So when in doubt, ask your airline what they can do for you. I don't know if there's like a law or a rule or any sort of whatever they have to do, but they did it and I was very happy. So anyway, that was nice. Let's see, National Star Trek Day was happening. This week, so I was participating. Paramount Plus sent me a little gift package with like the main thing was blue vodka. It's like a Now, if you're a Star Trek fan, you probably know the vodka. It is like what they used on the show, in the container they used on the show. Now, I never watched Star Trek, so I thought that this was a good entree. So last night, celebrating National Star Trek Day, I turned on the first episode from nineteen sixty six, fifty seven years old, and I gotta say I was. I was taken, Like I was into it immediately. It's futuristic, it's fun. It's stuff that like I kind of like like little gadgets and the way they do things. So I was digging it until we got to the aliens that I don't want spoiler alert from fifty seven years ago. I mean, come on, haven't watched it by now? I mean you still can. So that's the whole thing. You could stream the whole series on Paramount Plus. And so my kids were in the room, and you know, it was fine, but at some point my little one, I was like, okay, this maybe when the guy the alien's brain, like the veins as they were talking, started like pulsating in his brain. I was like, all right, maybe that's a little bit too much, even though it was very innocent. Anyway, So I will be watching more of Star Trek. I'm sure. I'm sure there are some of you that are Star Trek fans that are like, ray, how are you just watching this for the first time. Well, you know what happens. This is the gentle slide into the holidays and ultimately ces for me. The tech folks have called this Tectober, but we're gonna send this into Teptember for September because let me just give you a rundown of the events that are coming up in the next couple of weeks. Okay, you've got Apple on September twelfth, that's next week. They're calling this wonder lust iPhone fifteen models, the big change there usb C and also let's see what is it, it's USBC. Oh yeah, and one hundred dollars price increase perhaps and also the top of the line models are going to get better zoom. So Apple is going to consume the tech world for the next week or so with all of the headlines and all of the news, and you're gonna be wondering should I get the new phone. I mean, if you're one of those folks that just upgrades all the time, then you're just gonna want it no matter what. It's this magnetic draw of Cooper Tino to your wallet that just want to suck that money right out of your wallet. And it's fine. The new iPhones are always fun because they're new, they're exciting, and Apple has done a good thing with their ecosystem. September twentieth, then we've got Amazon. They are going to do a special let's see, what do they call it? A Device and Services event, And so that's where I mean they throw out a ton of stuff. We're talking new fire TVs, new echo speakers, new ring devices, new euro devices. I mean, Amazon has a ton of brands. So they'll be doing that on September twentieth, and they're actually doing it from their new HQ two. Do you remember the whole kind of like to do about this thing. They were going to open it like outside of New York and people literally like said no way, They protested, we don't watch you here, and so they went to Virginia and I guess they opened. They're opening HQ two there, so they're going to do that event from there. Then you've got Let's See Microsoft on September twenty first, and Microsoft is expected to unveil Let's See a special event on September twenty first in New York City, likely to announces new surface hardware, including the Go four, the laptop Studio four, and the Laptop Go three. I don't know what's happening with that little Surface duo thing. Remember that little phone they had that was kind of a foldy, flippy, openee thing. I don't know if they're coming out with the third edition of that, but that may be a surprise. But Microsoft always has a lot of surface People love the surface stuff, So that's happening. Then on September twenty seventh, Facebook Metaconnect. This is where they show off all of their VR stuff, and I think there's gonna be a little bit more of a emphasis on this one because of what Apple's doing with their VR. So you've got that happening up in San Francisco Menlo Park on September twenty seventh. Then we pingpong back over to New York City. Google October fourth, releasing the new Pixel eight phones and Google's really weird. They put their stuff out there before they even launch it. So if you go to the Google like Pixel website, they already have pictures of the Pixel eight in, the Pixel eight Pro and the new Watch. Why do they do that, I don't know. I guess they just figure, you know what, let's just be a little bit different. Then we've got one plus expected to do something with their one plus fold I think it's called the one plus Open. That's another foldable phone. Obviously a lot of there's a lot of emphasis on foldables these days. I've been using the Google Pixel Foldable and it's been quite fun to use, and I like that it's different than the phone that everyone else has. I mean everyone's got a Samsung or an iPhone. So when I have something different, it's like I hope that people take notice, but nobody really cares. I'll be honest. I've been carrying different phones around for ten years now, and I always like kind of make a big deal to open them in front of people. And like I was using the iPhone like a week before and when had it, nobody cared. I like had at my son's baseball game. I like it had the always on display. I put it on the bleachers, hoping someone would be like, WHOA, what's that? No one cared. Then you've got the Code conference in late September, which, by the way, I got an invite to for the first time ever. I've been wanting an invite to this forever and they finally invited me. Invite me? Is that a word? Invited me? And uh, I don't know. We'll see if I can go to that. And then finally after the holiday CS a little bit later this year January ninth through twelfth. So anyway, that's what's on my calendar. How about yours. That's what's happening with me. So needless to say, I've got a lot of stuff happening in the next couple of months and a lot to tell you about. All right, coming up, what does that email from Facebook about your saved payment information really mean? I'm gonna break that down explain what you need to know. But first I think I've talked enough. It is your turn. We're gonna have some of your calls coming up next at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich Dmuro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. Hope you're having a fantastic day. You can follow me on social media. I'm at rich on Tech. That's on Instagram, Facebook, x x x marks, the Twitter spot and threads, so lots of places to choose from. I'll be honest, most of the time, I'm hanging out on Instagram Stories. I just kind of like that the best. Let's go to UHH, phone lines open triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Jerry and Anaheim. You're on with rich.
Speaker 2: Hey, rich morning, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 3: So, uh it might be a simple thing, but so on my iPhone, how do I change the iPhone name on the.
Speaker 4: For the.
Speaker 3: Baby? So when I go to Seddy, my name chills on. But when it's goes down to the bottom with my iPhone has a different name, So how can I change that?
Speaker 1: Ah? Okay, so the name of your I phone is not what you want? What does it say?
Speaker 3: So it's it's the name out a want?
Speaker 1: Okay, got it? So here's the deal. A lot of people when they set up their phone, the name carries over from the old days, like their old phone or something they set up a long time ago, or just as iPhone, or if it just says iPhone, you know, eleven, whatever time you decided to like set it up. So I just had this someone emailed me this question the other day, and I have a fun little tip for you as well. But it's very simple to do, and ninety nine percent of people do not do this. But I highly recommend you customize the name of your iPhone. Why because it helps you identify your phone in a variety of ways. If it just says iPhone twelve or iPhone fourteen or you know whatever, that's not very helpful when you're trying to do air drop or you're trying to identify your phone on find my. So take a minute to identify your phone and set up the name properly. Here's how you do it. Okay, you go into settings on your phone, you go into general and then you tap about and then right at the top it says name. And I've got mine named Rich's iPhone fourteen pro. And here is the pro tip. Well, two tips on this line. Okay, Number one, you probably do not want to use a lot of personal information, so I probably would not use my last name here. Name is probably fine, like Jim's iPhone whatever, But if you want to be slicker about it, maybe consider not using your name and maybe using something that you can identify but others cannot. Because if you're in a crowded room or a place or your work and you have your air drop on, maybe you don't want people knowing that your phone is nearby. Maybe you just don't want them knowing that you're nearby. Whatever. But the other pro tip is that you could actually add an emoji to your name, which I didn't realize until someone asked me if they could, and I was like, I don't know, let me try it out, And sure enough, I added a little I don't know what the emoji's called, but it's that little smiley face with like the magnet the monocle over the eye. I don't know why. It's like you're kind of looking at something a little bit more in depth, and so I kind of like that one. So anyway, you can add that to there. Once you add that name, it will propagate throughout find mine and all the different places that your iPhone has its name, and so again it's probably good to do that, especially when the new iPhone is coming out. If you're upgrading to the new iPhone, maybe go in and instead of it saying you know, Rich's you know new iPhone or Rich's iPhone fourteen Pro, it'll now say you know, Rich's iPhone fifteen or whatever. Now when it comes to my Kindle, same thing, you might want to rename your Kindle.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but I've installed the Kindle app on so many different devices, on my Android phones that I test and the iPhones that I test. That Literally, when I install an Android app and I go to send a Kindle book, it says Rich is like forty fifth Kindle or something like that. It's just like it's embarrassing, and again I can't tell, like what does that mean? Is that my iPhone is at the Android So you can also go in and change the name of your Kindle. So to do that, go to your Kindle device and you know, go to the menu, click the three dots, go into settings and then your account and then it says device name, and so you can change the Kindle device name there. You can also do it on the website. So if you go to the Amazon just search like Amazon Manager Devices and there should be a Kindle account section, and then you go to the Kindle that you want to change the name for and you can rename. So if your Kindle has a name that you don't like, because maybe you've upgraded your Kindle over the years and it has an old name, you can rename that as well. So I'm a big fan. You know what, while I'm here, I might as well just tell you how to rename your Android phone too. Right, So on Android, you go into your settings. And it's been a while since I do this, but I think you do it in Bluetooth. So go to settings and oh gosh, I need to find I shouldn't have said this before I knew. Okay, So you go into Settings and then Bluetooth Connections and then Bluetooth Advanced Settings. Oh gosh, I shouldn't have done this because now I got to I can't really Okay, well, I should have probably looked at how to do that before I tried to do it on live radio, So I will. I will figure it out on the Android. But I believe it's in the Bluetooth settings and the same thing happens where you need to you know, if you're trying to connect your phone to your car, it comes up with this random name, so rename it. I'll tell you how to do it, all right. Coming up, we're gonna talk to Kim Gullick, head of Live Sports at Uber, to explain how Uber Eats is now at stadiums. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Before the break, we got a question about changing the name on your phone and I couldn't find it fast enough on the Android, but I found it. I'm telling you just do this, just take a second. Do this, all right. You go into your settings. Okay, and if you don't know how to get into settings, you kind of pull down on the top of the screen. Look for that little gear icon. You go to about phone and then you see where it says the name of your phone. You can press edit and there's your phone name and it says this will be shown on other devices when your phone is available using Bluetooth, Wi Fi Direct and other methods. So basically anytime someone's trying to identify your phone, and that's pretty much the same way on the pixel on Samsung. For a while, I had my phone named rich'siphone dot exe and that's I know, that's kind of like an old school thing, but I just thought it was funny because like, the last thing you want is like an executable on when you're trying to share something, it just looks really scary, and so I thought that was pretty you know, it's tech humor, you know what. That's that's who I am, all right. Joining me now is so Uber uber Eats is now available at stadiums nationwide. So joining me now to explain what this is all about. Kim Gullick, head of Uber Live in Sports. Kim, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks, it's nice to be.
Speaker 1: Here, all right, So let's talk about Uber eats. It's everywhere, obviously, but now it is inside stadiums, and there was when I mentioned this on KTLA someone said, wait a second, I got to exit the stadium to get my food. I said, no, no, no, it doesn't work that way. So explain what this new partnership is all about sure.
Speaker 5: So currently we are at Sofi Stadium and this is our first NFL stadium that we're launching the technology and we're thrilled to help fans quickly get a bite of their favorite gave Damiolk. We are currently at twenty five other locations throughout the globe and we're continuing to grow that. So basically, all you have to do is, when you're in the stadium, you open the Uber eat app and if you text whether the user is a a partner venue, so then they get a welcome screen and let them know that they're available to order food for pickups at one of the Uber Eats locations. Then all you have to do is select your location where you're in the stadium. You're going to be able to see all of those locations that are available to you from the closest locations that you selected. You just take a look at the menu, select your favorite, place your order, and then once you place your order, you're going to get a notification confirming that your order is placed, and then another one that says your order is ready, And just like that, you head over to the Uber Eats brand of designated pickup planes, you skip the lines, grab your food and drink. It's super simple, convenient, and allows you to get back to that game so you don't miss a moment of the action.
Speaker 1: So so Far is the first stadium that you're doing this at, or are you're doing it at multiple stadiums.
Speaker 2: So FI is our.
Speaker 5: First NFL stadium. We are currently at twenty five locations throughout the globe we do. Yeah, so this is just our first NFL data that we have been around since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, And so what is sort of the advantage I mean, is it cutting the lines? Is it just I mean, I like the idea that I can kind of you know, whenever I get to I was just at so Far for the Taylor Swift concert, and of course, like you want to walk around to see what's available to you, right, and then by the time you walk around, you've done all this legwork You're like, oh, never mind, I want that place that was right by my seat. So is this more? Is this just kind of helpful to like see what's available to you where you are.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So what you can do is, once you open the app, you can take a look at what locations we have. Currently we're opening twenty five stands throughout Sofi Stadium, So whatever level you're on, there'll be a choice for you to be able to order pick up. There's a variety of food selections. You open the app, it will show you the menu that's available. And so you could just be sitting at your seat, go ahead and place your order. It's going to tell you when it's ready, and then you just go and pick it up, so you don't have to wait in those really long lines. I mean, it's such a bummer sometimes you see you know you're in these long lines, You've have kids or whatever, it's just it's you just don't don't want to be hanging out. So this is just a really a game changer for us and makes it really convenient for the fans.
Speaker 1: So what about pricing, and I mean I assume there's a similar Is it that the pricing is similar? Are there extra fees? And also anyway with if you have like uber one, does that make a difference, Yes, it does.
Speaker 5: So with with there are no delivery fees, there are in some of our stadiums, there are small convenience fees that are added. And yes, if you're an Uber eat or excuse me, an Uber one member, you will you will get that discount as well as long as you make that minimum threshold.
Speaker 1: And what about delivery? So you know when people think Uber Eats, they think delivery. So is that part of the plan down the line? Is that? I mean, I know some stadiums do delivery and already, so is that part of the plan or what?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So, actually that's a great question. We are at Yankee Stadium. We have in seat delivery as well as we just launch Oracle Park in seat delivery, so we know that's something that the fans really want. So with our partnership with SOFI, we will be looking at that for the future for sure.
Speaker 1: Wow. All right, and how about the food selection? Is it? Is it pretty wide ranging? How many places are you working with inside the stadium?
Speaker 5: Currently we're at twenty five locations. It's a variety of food. We make sure that you can get those options that you get as if you were walking up. So again, twenty five locations we're current. We will you know over the season we will expand that to more. But yes, there's anything that you want, you can get that through Uber Eats.
Speaker 1: Oh what about alcohol.
Speaker 5: Alcohol, Yes, you can order that as well.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so food and drinks, and even at some of our other locations you can order some merchandise as well. So that's coming hopefully to Sofi Stadium, but currently it's.
Speaker 6: Just food and drink.
Speaker 1: Okay. So this is happening the mobile ordering at Sofi Stadium in La for the La Chargers home opener game, which is this weekend. So if you're there, try it out. Open up the uber etz app on your phone and see what happens. So it's gonna find, it's gonna know that you're there. It's gonna say, hey, we see you're at Sofi that is correct you.
Speaker 5: We'll get a welcome screen saying welcome to Sofi Stadium, and then you just select your location and off you're ready to select your food and drinks from there.
Speaker 1: All right. Kim Gullick, head of Uber Live in Sports and Uber, thanks so much for joining me today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you. Have a great day.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: You've made me hungry. Uh yeah, what did I have when I was there? I think I got nachos both times that I was there. I don't know why. Nachos just seems to fit when you're at a stadium, right, nachos and you know some some adult beverages perhaps. Okay, So I got so many emails about this, I need to address it everyone pretty much. If you have a Facebook account, you got this email from Facebook. This says important update on your saved payment information and it says, hey, your saved payment information will move to account Center's Accounts Center in the next few weeks. This change will make it easier for you to securely manage your payment information in one place, as well as shop and donate across Facebook and Instagram. And of course, because payment information was in the email, not your payment but you know the fact that it mentioned this, people thought it was a scam. People were surprised to know that Facebook might even have their payment information, and they were just wondering, like, what is this all about? So let me explain. So, Facebook is basically merging the payment information that you have, either you saved it on Facebook or Instagram. So they're taking that information and they're putting it in one place, this new account center. And so if you want to go and see if you have now they're giving you an opportunity basically to delete this information before they share it across their different platforms, because both of these are owned by Meta and So. And I think Metaquest is also part of this because when I went to the account center, it had my Metaquest in there as well. So it's going to be, you know, they're just consolidating because it's one company. They want to just kind of make things easier for everyone. If you have a credit card saved in one place, or a debit card, it's just going to work for everything. And the whole point of this is obviously a bigger point that if you do something on Facebook, Let's say you donate to a cause, and then all of a sudden you're on Instagram watching a live stream and you want to give that person a badge or a super thanks or whatever they call it, you know, to give them some cash or you want to subscribe. You'll be like, oh, my credit card's already in there. That makes life so much easier. And so that's the whole point is basically to get you to spend more eventually. So I explained this on my Instagram. If you want to check out where it is at, richon Tech is my Instagram. So you can go into Instagram and open up your profile and look at your payment methods there. You can also go into Facebook, open up your settings and see your payment methods there. And if you want to remove the card that you have saved, if you even have one saved, you can easily do that from both of these places. But if you don't, eventually these cards will make their way into this new account center. I also explain how you can find that online. You basically go to Accountscenter dot Facebook dot com and that will show you all of your connected information with meta. So again, the save payment information email is legitimate, nothing to really be alarmed about. They're not going to charge your card for anything. They're not, you know, if you put in your card. Basically they're saying, look, we have this info and we're gonna start sharing it across all of our different products. So do as you like with that, all right? Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. We'll get to more of your calls right after this. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. The website for the show is rich on Tech dot TV. If you go there, you can get show notes to everything I mentioned, And if you go there right now, the show notes are linked up, So if you're listening live, you can just go where it says show notes right at the top of the screen. And if I mentioned something that you're interested in, like if I mention those directions on how to change the name on your devices, you can just go right there and it's it's updated in real time as the show goes on, so really helpful. There can also get more information about our guests all at richontech dot TV. Phone lines are open triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. Surely is in Belmont Shore, California. Surely you're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Hi, Good afternoon. So I have a job where I get to go in a couple of days and stay home most of the other days.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 8: I know, I can't even say enough.
Speaker 1: You know, it makes a big difference, makes a big difference.
Speaker 6: Weird.
Speaker 1: I was just talking about that my wife. I said, you know, it's just even one day working from home is just like for mental and physical well being, so great anyway, So great.
Speaker 8: I work more at home. It's so funny, but it's a good thing. Yeah, so okay, So here's the deal. I noticed that when I bring my computer home and when I'm doing my same work that I do at the office, my computers slower. I've had my router check my internet check. I am close enough to the router. I've had a refurversed computer which is running excellent. At work. I'm taking it very personal. And so I noticed that when I'm doing my keyboard, mainly just entering keys, I noticed that this stall happens. It just starts stalling. And I'm like, wow, if I got a new keyboard, same thing. If there's no pattern of time, it just happens. And there's one thing I have that replaced and I didn't know if it mattered. It's all accords that go to my computers to my from my computer to everything else that you know. I just never replaced him. Since I've been working at home, it's been about three years.
Speaker 1: Is this the same computer you're using at home and work or is it a different computer? Same so, same computer, and when you're at work it works fine. When you're at home, it's slow, it.
Speaker 8: Bugs, it bugs and I related to my keyboards obviously, well, because I'm typing and all of a sudden the little spinner comes up, or a program one of four will just crash. I'll just restart it, no problem. But it never happens at work. And I know work is probably really set up for like pro status.
Speaker 1: But wow, I mean, you know, it doesn't take much to run a computer, you know, with Wi Fi. So are you on? Are you on the same type of connection at each place?
Speaker 8: No, of course not, because you know, at businesses I believe at least are I don't know who their provider is, but it's like probably some phenomenal one. Okay, a couple of kinds of working a day.
Speaker 1: Are you on? I okay? So I yeah, I imagine the speed is probably slightly different. But are you on the same type of connection, whether it's Wi Fi or whether it's Ethernet, like, is it wired? It's the Internet?
Speaker 8: Now that yes, I believe we are. Now that's a good question. Thank you for saying that. I've been told we are.
Speaker 1: So you're on Wi Fi at home and Wi Fi at work?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? How far is your computer from the router?
Speaker 8: Ten feet?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 8: That's super close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is close. It Actually you'd be surprised. Sometimes it's weird. The closer you are sometimes to the why the Wi Fi source, the weirder your your devices can act sometimes, So a couple things maybe, uh, you know, and ten feet is actually pretty far, So I think you'd be okay there. I think you know you can now. It's weird that it's just happening at your house. That's the weird thing. And I would say that it would be your your connection. But here's I'd like you to do. So I think a couple things, just for maintenance reasons, just to see what's happening here. There could be some sort of program that's running on your computer that's trying to like phone home that only works at your work, that does not work at your home, like some sort of program that your your work requires. That maybe it's just not connecting to the service that you know, and that's what's causing your computer to act a little wonky. So what I would do personally is, first off, I would just check my connection. So at work, next time you're there, go to the website fast dot com and do a speed test, or you can go to uh I believe it's speed test. Let's see, I don't want to say the wrong thing. Speed test dot net and check your network and just see how fast it is and compare home and work. If your home is significantly slower, that could be causing some of the issues, like if you're like at one, two, three, four, five megabits per second, but if you're anything over ten, you're probably gonna be fine. That's the first thing I do. The second thing I would do is I would install any program that you don't recognize or need on your computer. And I would also look at the programs that run on your computer when you first started up. So those are the login programs, so you can look in the Windows settings to find those things. Otherwise, you might just want to run some diagnostics on your computer. And a popular program to do that is cee Cleaner. Ce Cleaner is the app, and you can download that for free. It'll have limited unless you pay, but it does a decent amount of stuff for the limited price or the limited a price of free, I should say. And so you can do that if you feel like, you know, maybe that'll find something that's causing it. But it's kind of odd, I mean It shouldn't be It shouldn't be happening. Your computer should work pretty much the same way. Now, if you told me you were downloading files on Dropbox and they were coming through faster at work and not as fast at home, I would understand that because your work probably has a better Internet connection. But with a laggy keyboard, that's a weird thing. And I just don't really know why that would be happening on your computer at home versus work. The only thing I can think of is something is running on your computer that is not really working properly when you're at your home setup versus your your work setup. So Sureley, keep me posted, let me know what's happening once you do the speed test, and maybe we could do some more some more fixing on that. Let's go to Janine in Carlsbad. Janine, you're on with Rich Oh.
Speaker 9: Hello, Hello, this is the first time I've heard the show, and I really need your advice.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, thank you for finding me.
Speaker 9: Well, in a couple months, I'm going to be the Big seventy six and lation shot.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 9: Believe it or not, I am a dinosaur. I've never had a computer or a tablet all I've had is my Apple phone, okay, my Apple fourteen, which is not working right now. So I'm kind of out in the world drifting. But I have been doing a ton of research and I need your advice before I invest. Okay, I have a choice. People have told me, oh, go go Apple all the way, Apple Macair computer with and then Apple Mac.
Speaker 5: Ten.
Speaker 9: Well wait a minute, ten points something. What do they call it?
Speaker 1: A pad?
Speaker 9: What do they call it?
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got about a minute. So I'm you're trying to figure out which which computer to get?
Speaker 9: All with Mac? Or can I go with my my Apple phone and two two cheaper or less expensive Samsung products.
Speaker 1: Well, and you want a laptop or what do you want? What other products?
Speaker 9: I want a laptop and I also want the Patty tablet.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you go all Apple. Honestly, I think the tablet's Apple has the best tablet with the iPad, I think you go with the MacBook Air for your laptop. If you have the money to spend, get the newer version. I would recommend the thirteen or fifteen inch if you don't want to spend as much since you're buying a lot, But is your birthday, sure, Janine, So you know, maybe splurch, but go with.
Speaker 9: The anybody has a dog come down to dot Beach tomorrow from eight to twelve right there by the del Race track.
Speaker 3: Dress your dog up.
Speaker 1: All right. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up this hour. Jen call Trider of Mozilla will join us to talk about how our are spying on us. Mozilla had a big report this week, Privacy not included. They said that basically cars are the worst thing they have ever tested for privacy, and they collect twenty five all kinds of personal information. They tested twenty five different brands, twenty five brands failed, and they collect some really surprising stuff about us. So Jen will join us to talk about that. I'm also going to tell you about Amazon's new fee even for prime customers, why you should update your Apple products right now, and some sneaky new ad settings on Google Chrome. Let's go to Melody in Carlsbad. Melody.
Speaker 10: You're on with Rich Hi, Rich Listen, I have this question. For a long time, been meaning to call you about it. I'm a senior citizen and from time to time I will get an email that lists all the stores that provide senior discounts. Now, obviously I'm not going to keep this email in my pocket when I'm out shopping, But I'm wondering, is there an app that will alert me while I'm out shopping. Let's say I walk into Marshalls and that I have my location on on my iPhone, and then it notifies me, Oh, you're in Marshalls. Hey, they have a discount for seniors today. Is there such an app that exists like that.
Speaker 1: It's a good idea, for sure. You know, there are lots of apps that have discounts and freebies and deals. I don't know of one specific for seniors. But and also you know that would require your your location obviously to be on and to know where you are, so some people would be a little bit concerned with that. But I do think there are some ways to sort of figure this out. So I'll go through some of the ways that I And by the way, I think it's great that you're thinking about this, because I'm not kidding it kind of goes back to what I was talking about with the airline. Just by asking a majority of the time or even searching, you can find things that you know may save you a lot of money. A good example I gave a couple of months ago on the show was my wife and I were in CVS and before we checked out, I said, let me just check the app to see if there's any sort of discount, and sure enough, there was like a thirty percent coupon in the CVS app. So what I do personally, every time I am checking out or in a store, I will just fire up either the stores app or I will just search for the name of the store and either discount or coupon and see if there's something that's running. A lot of these discount codes, a lot of these websites that say they have codes, You're going to sit there for an hour trying these and they're not going to work, and especially in store, a majority of the time, it's just going to be bogus. So until someone comes up with an app like you're talking about that, you know you can sit. You know you're in the coals, you're in the you know, Walmart, whatever it is. You could say Hey, show me all the available discounts for this right here. That'd be a good idea, but I don't know if that exists. But I will tell you the places that I look so after I do the whole you know, I think the number one place to look right now is the store's own app. That's a great way to do it. The second thing is just to search on Google and say the name of the store plus discount or senior discount, and that'll bring up a list if you're just looking on Google. There's like this this website called the Senior List dot com and they've got a whole bunch of deals. Looks like interesting, So like, yeah, they've got a list of all different places. It doesn't look like it's too many there though. Then they've got another website that I like is called dealnews dot com. So deal News has a post that looks like they continue to update it, the seventy eight best senior discounts to use in twenty twenty three. And again, I know, Melody that you asked for an app that would alert you. I don't know of that. So I'm just telling you the different ways that I would do this to make sure that I get a discount every time. The other place I like, which actually is quite good, is called couponcabin dot com, and so you can search for the name of a retailer inside this. So let's say you're in right Aid, you can search for right Aid and it gives you all the coupons that are available at that moment. But also on the left hand side, it gives you little shopping hacks for that store, so it'll tell you different ways that you might be able to save on your purchases at that store. And for right Aid there's like seventeen little tips. And look at that. It says that right aid offers customers over the age of sixty five a twenty percent discount on the first Wednesday of the month. Wow, look at that. Where's my bell?
Speaker 7: Ding? Ding?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Let's see what else there we go. The other website that I check on a daily basis is called slick dealsslickdeals dot net. And then of course AARP. They have discounts, but it looks like AARP mostly shows discounts that they have because of your card, but they do have a lot. Actually, now that I'm scrolling through, Wow, Corner Bakery, Annie's ooh, I always like one of those like pretzels. Yeah, who can resist those pretzels? You know, like the smell is just wafting out into the mall. It's just like I become like a zombie. I'm like, please give me a cinnamon sugar pretzel. Like I didn't go into the mall. Does anyone ever go into the mall expecting to buy like a cinnabon or well maybe cinnabon. Yeah, actually that's true, both saying yes, oh missus fields, all these things that just like they only exist in the mall, right, just to like capture our our noses and our money. Oh and it's so good and you and you wolf it down so fast. The uh, those are the places that I look. And again, I'll put all these links on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. Are we still on the air? Did they? Did they cancel us yet?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me tell you about this triple eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. You know what, Save it for the feedback segment. Tell me what you think in the feedback. Go to rich on tech dot TV, hit contact, put it in the feedback and I will read that at the end of the show. Amazon is gonna start charging a dollar ninety nine for in garage delivery starting October fourth. So this was previously a free service where Amazon, if you had the ability, they could open up your garage and put your stuff in your garage. I know when it first came out, people were like, wait what, but but it's not a bad idea if you live in a place where something might get taken from your front porch or you just want you know, it's just convenient. But it took a lot of equipment. Anyway, they were pushing this really hard because they said, hey, it's safe, it's nice, and of course it helps them because less theft means that they don't have to replace so many items that they deliver. But now they're going to charge a dollar ninety nine for this delivery unless you choose your Amazon Day. So if you haven't set up your Amazon Day, this is basically a day you designate every week where they will deliver all the stuff that you order in that week on that day. So for me, my Amazon Day is Fridays. Oh should I have told you that? Well, now you know which day to come to my house. Anyway, I don't use it very often, and because Amazon literally it's it's so wild because if you live in a big city, Amazon can deliver like so fast to you that it's always like, oh, do you want your Amazon Day on Friday or would you like us to get to this to you by nine o'clock? And I'm like, well, of course, if it's free, I'm gonna take the nine o'clock tonight. But so don't be alarmed if you see the headline that says Amazon's going to start charging for all this stuff. It's only if you're doing in garage deliveries, and only if you're doing them not on your Amazon Day. So if you're still just doing Amazon Prime, you know, your regular deliveries, those are still free for now. But as we know, Amazon has definitely been tightening, you know, ratcheting things up with all the little kind of things they do. I still think they're pretty incredible for how fast they get stuff to my house, but you know, they've raised like the minimums, and of course with the groceries, everyone's grumbling about that because groceries used to be really easy to get those delivered, and now that's expensive. They've added fees on that and Prime membership keeps going up and up and up, so you know, it's still a very good service. It's just it's evolved and changed like everything else. You know, all these prices have gone up lately, and finally, not finally, but for now. Before we go to break, update your Apple products. Apple has released software updates for iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple Watches. This is all because of two zero day vulnerabilities. Zero day vulnerabilities are pretty much the worst. It means that someone could could take over your phone without you doing anything, which is really scary. That means they could just send you a malicious image or a malicious attachment and literally they have control of your phone. Now, it would take special software and obviously the know how to do this, but it's pretty scary. It's like the scariest of all of the exploits on phones are these zero day things. So if you have an iPhone, you have an iPad, you have a Mac, you have an Apple Watch, definitely go ahead and update them as soon as you can. The update ISOs sixteen point six. I think we're up to and by the way, we're going to get new iOS very soon to iOS seventeen Yeah, sixteen point six point one. That's what you want to be on and I'm just looking at mine. It says this update provides importance security fixes and is recommended for all users. Yeah. Think Apple is patched thirteen zero days in twenty twenty three. A lot of the zero day stuff is used for this what's called Pegasus spyware, and this UH spyware is basically used to target journalists, activists and UH world leaders that they want to get on their phone because there's some good information on there and it's, uh, it's stuff that you know, the bad folks really want access to. But for you and I, I mean, well I am a journalist, so people probably do target me, but they're you know, for the average person, Like, is someone trying to take over your phone? Probably not? But should you do this? Of course? Of course, of course, of course. There you have it. Rich on Tech dot TV of course for the link. The phone line for the show is triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one coming up this hour, I will tell you about the Chrome settings you might want to change if you don't like ads tracking you. And also speaking of tracking us, our cars are spying on us in a big way. Now we all kind of assumed this was happening, but now we kind of have the data to back it up. So my guests, in just a couple of minutes here we'll talk about the their new report at Mozilla Privacy not included just all the different ways cars are tracking us. Let's go to uh, Peter and San Gabriel. Peter, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: Hi, Rich, pleasure to talk to you. I have a question. I had been looking for a phone call recording app okay uh for my phone, and I had downloaded one app said it was free, you know for a pre one Yeah, and then they asked for a credit cards. Yeah, but it was only just to start it, just like to see if I have I guess money and the account or whatever. But then after it then it when it would say when I put in my card, information would say it wasn't going through and it wasn't accepting and all that, and then finally it said I was like the app was only three for about five days, and there was going to be forty nine ninety five a month. Yep, I was so christ and I can't say bad words, but.
Speaker 1: Well we don't want to say him on the radio either, because I've already I've already ran this show off the rails today once. Yeah, so you're are you here looking for you're looking for a call recorder? And are you on iPhone or Android?
Speaker 6: Android?
Speaker 1: Okay? So Android definitely makes it a little bit easier. But the thing is a lot of these are not free. And I think what you've found is that is that you're you're looking for these and they say free and they're not. So I will tell you the way that Well, there's a couple of things I know that you can do, so if you're looking for completely free the thing that I do, or I've done in the past is Google Voice. Do you have a Google Voice number?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So in Google Voice, you can actually record a call and it's quite simple, it's quite easy, and it's free and unlimited as far as I know. Maybe it takes up some of the storage on your Google account, but if you let's see, let me just type in how to do it. Record a call. So basically, if someone calls you on your Google Voice number, you basically just have to press the number four and that will start recording the call. And then I think it just downloads it as a like a you know, you just download it from your Google Voy stashboard. But that's like the easiest and the simplest and the cheapest way to do it that I know. But the only caveat is that they do have to call your Google Voice number to get that started.
Speaker 6: And you know, obviously, I you know, I have to basically have a Google Voice account.
Speaker 1: Or yes, and that's in it. I believe it's free. I mean I've had Google Voice forever. I don't think they charged for that. So you could sign up for that, get a phone number, and then just start doing that. Whenever you want to record a call, just tell the person to call that number.
Speaker 6: I can't use this saying that my own cell phone number for that.
Speaker 11: Er.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's I mean, look, you can have your number forward. You can forward your number to Google Voice then have it do it that way. That might work, but you know, it gets a little tricky there because then all your calls would do that. I'm looking at, uh, this other one called call x for Android. But the problem is, I'm wondering if this needs root, you know, access to root on your phone. I think for a lot of security reasons, they don't allow this to happen. Let's see call recorder. The other thing is that so a lot of these these call recorders, the way they work is instead of actually recording the call from your phone, they make you call a third number, so you kind of do like a three way call, and you will it records it that way. So and the other one I know of is true Caller. Now we had them on the show, so I know they're legitimate. They have a call recording, but again you will have to pay for that. So I don't have an answer for you on a free call recorder. Besides the Google Voice, like the app situation, I'm looking at this one app. And the other thing is, see this app wasn't even updated since October twenty twenty two. But I think a lot of these things that I'm just looking at quickly here are they all seem the same Like people are like, oh they don't work, they don't you know. But the good news about this show, Peter, is that you know, there's a lot of people listening, and we've got the feedback segment. So if you know of a good phone call recording app that works very easily on Android, uh, send it to me, So Rich on Tech, hit the contact button and let me know which one you use. The other one that I do like that is very popular, but again I think it's gonna cost money. And I've done an interview with this company too, is called Tape a Call, and this is probably one of the top apps out there for doing this and tape a Call dot com and if you uh look at that one, it will it's very very easy, and it says that you can do this on a call that you're already on incoming calls. But again, uh, it's gonna I believe they're going to charge you after a while. Yeah, monthly planned nine ninety nine a month, annual plan sixty dollars. So, and also I want to put the caveat out there as a journalist that you can't just rea cort a phone call without the other person knowing. So that is something that you do need to look into your state's laws, your local laws for recording phone calls. You can't just record a call without someone knowing. In most states I or many I think almost every state as far as I know, you have to tell the person on the other line, but definitely check your local laws. All right, Coming up next, we're going to talk to Gen call Trid of Mozilla about how our cars are spying on us. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology and joining me now is Jen Calltrid, head of the Privacy Not Included team at Mozilla. You know them for the web browser. Jen, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got this report out, this new report that is causing quite the stir. It's basically about how our cars are spying on us. So can you explain this Privacy Not Included report just a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: We looked into the privacy and security of twenty five popular car brands, everything from Volkswagen to Nissan, to Tesla to Kia. And we looked at the privacy, how they'd use data, how much data they're collecting, if they secure it, things like that. And what we found is that all twenty five car brands that we reviewed earned our privacy not including warning label because they're absolutely terrible at privacy.
Speaker 1: And this isn't the first time that you've done this label. You typically look at all kinds of things to see what the privacy policies are and how they collect data.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we have a buyer privacy not included as a buyer's guide for users to go and look up their fitbits or their smart speakers or their robot vacuums and review.
Speaker 2: We review them lots of products for privacy.
Speaker 11: We've reviewed hundreds of products for privacy over the years.
Speaker 2: Cars is a little different beast because they are a beast.
Speaker 11: There there's multiple ways that they can collect data through the cars themselves, as devices, the connected service, the apps, and so it was a unique experience to review cars and it ended up being quite frightening.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's really interesting that you came out with this report on the same day that I got a new rental car. And when I plugged my phone into this car, I'm not kidding, there was a fleeting moment where I saw a message on the screen that basically said we can collect all kinds of data, and it was so fast and I couldn't do anything. And I pulled out my phone and I tried to plug it back in. I could never see that message again, but I was like, Wow, this really is happening in a big way. Can you tell me about some of the ways that these car companies collect data from drivers? Is it coming from the cars themselves?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's coming from all over, It's coming from the cars themselves. You know a lot of people haven't driven a new car recently. You might be surprised that there's no such thing as a smart car anymore. There's just all our cars are connected, and they come with sensors that tract you know, where we drive and how much we weigh, and how many people.
Speaker 2: Are in the car with us.
Speaker 11: They have microphones, they have cameras that face in and cameras that face out. But then the cars come with connected services. You know, you're on star R, your serious XM radio, your your navigation, you know, all those connected services also can can be collecting and sharing data.
Speaker 2: And then cars come with apps.
Speaker 11: Now you know, so you can you know, start, stop your car, remotely, honk your horn. But those apps also collect data, and that's kind of the tip of the iceberg with data collection.
Speaker 2: With cars.
Speaker 11: We didn't even dig into you know, what your car dealers can collect or what insurances companies can. We just looked at the cars, the connected services and the apps and those collected and enough data to scare us.
Speaker 1: So what types of sensors in these cars are collecting the data and what type of data are they collecting? Like is it you know, like someone that you know, the car companies doesn't have a live stream to my camera, do they?
Speaker 11: Well they could, right, I mean, there was a story that has been reported about Tesla with employees looking at Tesla cameras that without authorization. So that's the potential anything that has a camera or a microphone. You know, you just kind of have to trust that the company is going to protect that respect that which you know, that's the day and age we live in, and you know, most things come with cameras and microphones. You know, there's also the sensors that that tell how fast you're going, or how much you weigh, or what the temperature is outside, things like that. But when you read the privacy policies of these car companies, that's when the eyebrows really go up, because they they have these handy little tables in number of them where they lay out all the personal information they say they can collect on you, and we saw things like sex life. Kia mentioned they could collect information about your sex life, Nissan mentioned sexual activity, genetic information, medical information, uh, you know, race, immigration, and then they can they say they can go on and collect even more data about you by by collecting it from third party so versus like buying it from data brokers or getting it from public information public sources that they can then combine into, you know, a bigger profile on you. And then they say they talk about making inferences about things like your intelligence or your abilities, and I don't know about you, but I don't need a car company making any inferences about my intelligence.
Speaker 2: That just feels creepy.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it's the wild West. It sounds like it's the early days of sort of the Internet, and when everything tracked you. You'd go to shop for a mattress on one website and it would show up for ads on thousands of other websites. Is that what's happening with the car companies. Nobody's ever really thought about this before, so they're just doing whatever they can before people realize that they're doing this.
Speaker 2: It sure feels that way.
Speaker 11: It feels like this beast kind of got out of control before people started paying attention.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm guilty of that.
Speaker 11: We started doing this research, and as we were looking into it and realized just how bad it was, we're like, why aren't more people talking about this?
Speaker 2: This is really bad?
Speaker 11: And then we realized, well, we're the ones that our job to talk about this, So I'm glad that you're talking about this. And then in terms of the wild West, you know, I think consumers are probably pretty kind of numb to the fact that their data is collected and used for advertising.
Speaker 2: But when you think.
Speaker 11: About cars and you think about the data that can be collected and shared, and also just kind of how we see cars in our culture, and when you read lines in privacy policies that say things like a car company could share your personal information with government or law enforcement based on something as simple as a formal or informal request, then you start to get in the land of where things get really kind of scary, because if nothing more than an informal request from the government would let them listen in on the microphone or track your every move, or you know, monitor how many people you have in your car.
Speaker 2: That gets really scary.
Speaker 1: So what's the risk of all of this, what's the potential consequences of all of this? Why should we be concerned?
Speaker 11: Well, the big reason I think people should be concerned is there's not Consumers don't have choice now, you know, so if you go and look up a smart fitness tracker, you know, we can tell you some that are going to do better at.
Speaker 2: Privacy than others.
Speaker 11: With cars, we can't recommend any car companies that are going to that are doing better.
Speaker 2: And that's scary.
Speaker 11: And there's not a lot of you know, like this is just starting to be talked about, So what are the solutions?
Speaker 2: Consumers don't have a lot of options.
Speaker 11: It's time for the policy makers and regulators to step in.
Speaker 2: But we all know that takes a lot of time.
Speaker 11: And the car companies, I mean, let's be honest, car companies don't have a long history of very ethical behavior, so pushing them to do what's right is going to take all of us. And so i'd say, you know, if you feel outraged after seeing you know what we're reporting, great and then take an action, you know, contact and elected official, you know, find out who's a regulator in your state and contact them.
Speaker 2: Just make a little bit of noise, because that's what's going to take to make change.
Speaker 1: Are there these like options to opt out in the app or on the car itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, opting out is very interesting.
Speaker 11: Tugh's privacy policy basically says you can opt out of data collection, but yeah, your car might become inoperable.
Speaker 2: And that's not much of a choice.
Speaker 11: General Motors is interesting because there were reports that some of their cars started coming with an option and the sticker price that people couldn't opt out of. So it wasn't much of an option for fifteen hundred dollars for their on Star connected services. And if people are paying fifteen hundred dollars for a service that they don't want to use because of privacy reasons, you know, that's not fair.
Speaker 2: That's not right.
Speaker 11: And so choice and consent are both really big concerns. I mean, consent is a real big issue. You know, some car companies basically say you getting in the car and being a passenger as a connected car is in essence? Can they consider that consent to their privacy policy? And neither one of those things are right. And so this is why cars are the worst privacy category we've ever reviewed.
Speaker 1: Why is our data so valuable?
Speaker 11: Follow the money right, Like data equals money. The more they can tell about you. You know, if Nissan knows about your sex life and your intelligence, they can make a lot of inferences that you know, would allow marketers to target you with things. And it gets really scary when you think, you're like, oh, what's an ad what's that matter? But if somebody can determine, you know, you know where your weaknesses lie based on those inferences, they can manipulate you. And you see that a lot in our on our internet, you know, people being manipulated and lead in places that are not healthy.
Speaker 2: And so that's a big reason.
Speaker 11: You know, companies see it as a way to make money, but bad actors see it as a way to manipulate people with advertising, and and then it just.
Speaker 2: Kind of spirals from there.
Speaker 1: Where can folks find more information about all this?
Speaker 11: Oh, just go to Privacy Not Included dot org. We have articles there, We have the twenty five car reviews. Just click on the car tab and if you see something that we didn't review.
Speaker 2: Please shoot us out.
Speaker 11: There's a form you can tell us and we'll hopefully get to it Somedayah.
Speaker 1: Call Trider, head of the Privacy Not Included team at Mozilla. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have more rich on Tech coming up after this. If you have a question, give me a call. Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. Yes, surprising, huh about all the car situation, I mean there's really the takeaway is can you do anything about it? Not really. You know, a lot of these websites and things, you know, you can at least say I want to opt out the privacy situation. You know, there's a lot of settings and a lot of privacy safeguards in place for some of these established things. But with cars, again, it's kind of like the Wild West. I feel like they're just they're just doing whatever they can to get as much information they can until someone says something. And by the way, when I was in Europe, it's interesting they have a lot of Europe in California have like probably the strictest privacy laws and regulations, and in Europe It's interesting when you go to a website, you know how you get those pop ups on every website that says, do you want to accept these cookies? And I would always recommend that you say reject if you can. But in America, the websites usually have two options. It says, dis let's see what does this say? Basically accept all or go into settings. And then you got to go into these settings to like select, you know, de select each individual one, which is kind of a pain, so you end up saying just select say yes to everything. Well, in Europe the only two options are accept all and reject all. Somehow, reject all got lost in translation here in the US, which would make life a lot easier for us because then we don't have to have all these different websites following us. So anyway, over in Europe a little bit more privacy when it comes to that stuff. They had GDPR over there, which is all their data protection regulations, So we're kind of getting some of that here in the US, but it is still still pretty wild. I mean, really, the biggest company to do anything with data privacy was Apple when they turned on their little privacy switch on the iPhone through the software. I mean that really changed things. I mean Facebook overnight lost like ten billion dollars in AD revenue because it was just like they couldn't track people as much anymore. What's that called. I think it's called let's see, I gotta remember what it was called. It's called like app tracking transparency. I think app tracking transparency. App tracking. It's when you see that little message that pops up that says, hey, would you like this app to follow you around? You're like, no, yeah, att app tracking transparency. This is where iOS asks users for permission to share their data. And when they turn this on, obviously everyone was just like, no, don't follow me around. I gotta watch you to follow me, and that really mess things up. Now, ironically, Chrome Google Chrome is doing something in the opposite way, and I'll tell you about that. Let me take this call. Lisa's been on hold for a while. Lisa is in spring Hill. I'll tell you about the the Chrome setting after this. Lisa, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Hey, Rich, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 12: I have an HP Pavilion twenty touchscreen a computer and it's running currently Windows eight point one. It is a little bit older it's not a primary PC. And I have a medically fragile son that average life span is six and he's actually going to be thirty four next a month. Oh wow, Yeah, amazing and cognitively kindergarten first grade. And I have a number of older PC software discs that really use like ninety five three point one ninety eight. Is it realistic for me at all to think that I can take this computer not have it beat internet access because that's much too advance for him, but for him to be able to enjoy these software games currently.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, I'm sure this has been tough for you with your son, and I feel for you, so I think you've you've done really well. So I just want.
Speaker 12: To let you know that it's a gift and a blessing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So anyway, I just want to get that out of the way. But with this setup. So my thoughts on this are you can try it. I think that it's going to be a little bit of work to try to get these two and you know, it may work. Some of them may work. Do you now when you say you have the discs, are you trying to put these discs in the new machine? Like does the machine have the slots for these disks? Are they sloppies?
Speaker 12: It does have a dvblat and when I put them in, majority of them are just telling me that the things don't match.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's not even letting you that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I was curious if I could just you know, clean this out and put in like if I have a Windows ninety eight or a Windows ninety five CD to make that be I'm not sure what I apologize, My computer knowledge is not that great. But to figure out if I can install that in lieu of the current system, that if that would be able to be done on this type of a computer.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's an option. You know, it's been it's been a long time since I installed Windows, you know, ninety eight, ninety five, Windows three point one. It's been a very long time since these things. So but with that said, I mean, if you're on a computer and you've got the DVD drive, it really would come down to I think the like the firmware and the bootloader, like whether they would allow this to be installed on there. And so I think that you'd probably need to enlist the help of someone to kind of you know, like maybe find like a good, you know, helpful tech person in your area that just wants to do this out of the goodness of their heart, and you know, maybe they can format that drive and run the if you have the disc for it Windows ninety five ninety eight. Now, the other thing you might be able to do, and I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of emails about this with some suggestions, but I think the other thing you could do is maybe try like an emulator program. So I think on these discs, if you look at the way these discs are, if you can put them into the computer and actually just see what's on them instead of running the installer, maybe try to drag the information from the disc to the computer, and then you might be able to run these inside like a DOS emulator, because a lot of these programs need stuff that does the newer programs. The newer version of Windows just doesn't have on it anymore. And so that's one way. So if you can get the games to install, they're like, if you can get the the exse file on there, you might be able to do what's called compatibility mode, and you can right click that games, you know, the ex file, and you click properties and there's a compatibility tab and you can actually select the version of Windows you want to run this thing in. So that might be the easiest way you could try that. So again that's called that's called compatibility mode. So you can search search Google for that and show you how to do that. But that might be like the easiest way if you can get these games on the computer, you know, if you can get the programs. The other thing is a DOS emulator, so I would check out something called dos box and see if that would work. You can also run an older version of Windows in a virtual machine as well, so if you want to try that. But again, all of these things are getting a little bit like you know, they're getting a little complicated, right, So if you're if you're really.
Speaker 12: Not an expert, Yeah, no I'm not.
Speaker 1: But I think I would if I were you, I would enlist the help find someone at some sort of program there that you know that just look online for someone in your area that's got the you know, that wants to help people and maybe it is working at like a nonprofit or something computer nonprofit that might be able to help you set this up because a lot of times they'll take old computers and they'll get them running again. We've got a guy here in La called the Laptop Elf and he does that and so you know, maybe even look him up and he might be able to guide you on there. But Lisa, great question. Thanks for being such an amazing person out there in spring Hill, Florida. Best of luck to you and your son with these games. Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Back rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So much to talk about. Still, new ad settings on Google Chrome that you might want to change. Roadblocks is coming to PlayStation, so your kids are going to be bugging you for one of those now. And eBay is uh embracing AI to help you sell that stuff in your attic a little bit easier. And believe me, AI is everywhere at this point. It is really just taken. I can't believe how fast AI has had an impact on so many of the products and services that we use, and it's just getting starts. Let's see Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We had someone leave a voicemail at the website rich on tech dot TV. If you want to do that for the feedback segment. If you don't want to call in, you're a little embarrassed, you don't want to be on the phone, you want to be in live radio, you can go to my website rich on tech dot TV. Look for the microphone button in the lower right hand corner. You can tap that and you can leave me a voicemail. Just my advice is be concise, right, I mean, you know, you just just be concise, and we will perhaps play that on the air in the feedback section of the show which comes up at the end. Here, let's see, let me tell you about this Google Chrome ad settings situation. So Google Chrome is rolling out something called Enhanced ad Privacy, which sounds great, right, But this actually targets ads to you based on your browsing history using something called the Topics API. So basically what's happening is this kind of goes back to what I was saying about Apple all there's a big kind of backlash against sharing the exact things that you're doing on your phone and the websites that you're going to with other websites using what's called third party cookies. I know it gets a little complicated, but basically, if you've ever seen one of those ads that follows you around the web, that's because of what's called a third party cookie. That means that when you visit one website, right and you shop for a new comforter, there's a little cookie that remembers that on your web browser. And then when you go to another website that sells stuff, it looks at your cookies and it says, oh, this guy was looking for a comforter, let me show him ads for comforters. So that's kind of how that works in a nutshell. And there's companies that kind of broker these cookies. So and it's even more complicated. So when you go to a website, there might be a list of like thirty other tracking companies that work with that website to gather the data of you, what you're doing, how you're doing it, and then they exchange that data with other websites, and websites pay for all this. It's like our guest earlier said, it's all about the money. And so people are getting hip to this. They're blocking third party cookies, they're using ad blockers, they're using enhanced tracking search engines like Duck duck Go, and browsers like Brave, and so it's getting tougher and tougher for these companies to figure out who you are, what you're doing, what you're looking at, and so they're coming up with new ways of doing it. So Google, who obviously has a lot to lose in this situation because they're entirely ad revenue based, they're saying, Okay, well, let's come up with something that seems to be private, but let's make it work for people. So they call it the Topics API, and this works for advertisers and you. So they're saying, look, we're not going to share who you are, but we're just going to kind of figure out the things that you're interested in, and we're going to share those things with companies the websites that you visit. We're gonna say, look, riches into motorcycles, riches into travel, riches into you know, premium, you know whatever, and that's the information we'll share with the website. And then the website goes, Okay, we got a guy here who likes motorcycles. Let's show them accessories for motorcycles. And that's how this works. Now. The bad part about this is that Google is pretty much making this where you have to turn it off if you don't want it. So they're putting a pop up on your screen that says here's what we're doing. Got it, and you press got it, and you've just turned this on. Now, like I said, in Europe, a lot of the menus are saying turn it on instead of got it, but here in the US it just says got it. So you press got it and you're like, okay, well that's whatever that was, and really you just turned on this new feature. So some are saying this is what's called a dark pattern because you're opting in by DeFi rather than saying, hey, I don't want this. And so I tell you all this because there is a way to turn this off, and I would kind of I'm not saying you have to turn it off, but I'm just letting you know about this so you can decide if you want to turn it off. So, if you're running Chrome on your computer, go to the menu, and the menu are those three dots that are next to your name, the three vertical dots and then you tap settings, and then once you're in settings, there's something called privacy and Security. You tap that and then you'll see something that says AD privacy, customize the info used by sites to show you ads, and you can go in there and it says AD topics, site suggested Ads, and AD measurement. All three of these settings are probably turned on on your Chrome. I have them turned off just because I feel like the less information floating out there about me is better. So I like these turned off, but you can them on if you want more targeted ads. That's fine. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I just think that you should know how to turn these on and off. So again, menu settings, Privacy and Security, and then go to AD Privacy and you'll see those three toggles to turn on or off. While you're in here, you might also want to look at third party cookies. I would suggest blocking third party cookies on your web browser, and so that way these third party cookies aren't sharing as much information about you either, So that's an option. Most of the time, it says either allow third party cookies, block third party cookies and incognito, or block third party cookies. I would say block third party cookies, that would be my suggestion, but again it's up to you. Now, if you want an easy I know that's a lot. So if you want an easy to follow way to do this, just go to my instagram at rich on Tech and look for the posts that says Chrome Privacy Alert. You can just tap that and it's very very simple. I've got the instructions there. I'll also put it on the show notes. Oh let's see, let's go to uh Mike in Long Beach. Mike, you're on with rich Hi, how are you doing. I'm doing fantastic. What can I help you with?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I I want either a computer or tablet or iPad. And the whole purpose of it is just to do investing and financial so you know, pay bills, not gonna do email, not going to even do browsing. That's that's the only thing I want to do because there's things that I could do with that that I can't do on my iPhone.
Speaker 1: Right, just having that desktop browser and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking more like a notebook.
Speaker 1: But it just so you want a laptop.
Speaker 7: Probably because I don't have a lot of room, Okay, house.
Speaker 1: Well, I would not recommend a tablet. I think that if you're if you're trying to do you know, your banking on there investing, I think a tablet is good, but I think a tablet is more for sort of content consumption. And so I would recommend a laptop because it's going to be easier. Now, you may not need a laptop. Are you taking Are you doing this from the couch or are you gonna take this around the house or are you just you know, are you gonna set this up like in an office?
Speaker 7: Uh no, I I just do it on my iPhone wherever I'm at in the house, either either sitting in the TV or sometimes in the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Okay, well then I then maybe you want a laptop so you can bring it around the house, but I don't think you need something that's very high powered. We had a guest on a couple of weeks ago that went through some of the top laptops for twenty twenty three, and especially the laptops that were the best value, and so I'm going to recommend too that I think would work for your situation. The first is the the Asus zen Book fourteen o LEAD and this is a Windows laptop, and it's got the specs that you need, and it's got the price that you need. So it's going to be under one thousand dollars. And we are coming up to the holidays, and these are going to be discounted during the holidays, So if you can wait a little bit, I personally would just kind of watch the price on these things and see what happens with the pricing, because, believe me, there's a glut of computers in the market at this point because everyone was buying them during the pandemic. The manufacturers were ramped up sales, and now of course everyone's set up and they don't need these as much. So this one's got great specs, it's got a nice big screen for you, fourteen inches, running the latest Windows, and it's a good price under a thousand bucks. It looks like it's running about maybe seven to eight hundred dollars, depending on how you get get it configured. The other thing is a MacBook. If you want to go Apple, I would recommend a MacBook. They've got a new MacBook Air, but it's pricey, obviously, it's starting at thirteen hundred dollars. That's the MacBook Air. Fifteen. That'll give you a really nice big screen to work on. If you don't particularly need that, you can go with the thirteen inch. Oh wow, this actually let's see. Oh, the MacBook Airs is actually on sale on Amazon right now. It's down to it's basically fifteen percent off, down to eleven hundred bucks, so that's pretty good. But again, these prices are going to be coming down. If you want an inexpensive Mac computer. The twenty twenty version of the MacBook Air, which has their M one chip, which is a little bit old at this point, but it still works pretty well. That's got a thirteen inch display. They're selling that for about seven hundred and fifty dollars. So those are a couple of options for you. I think any of those will work for what you're doing, because you're just talking about doing basic web browsing, investing, banking. I'd recommend a Chromebook, but I think that that's even too basic for what you want. I think a standard desktop running either a standard web browser it would be best for you. Even though Chromebook does that, I think that that's probably the best for you. So, Mike, I think that's going to do it. I hope you make a lot of money with this laptop, and then when you need a new one, you can just upgrade. All right, Thanks for the call today, appreciate it. From their long beach phone number, Triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up later in the show, I'll tell you about Oh we're going to talk to Julian Vargas mobile access technology specialists. He's going to run over some of the latest ways technology is helping the blind. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at Triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, website, rich on Tech dot tv, or you can find me on social media at rich on Tech. Let's go to Don in Utah. Don. You're on with rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rich, I love your show.
Speaker 13: It's very informative. It keeps me happy every.
Speaker 7: Time I'm listening.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 13: I hope this is a simple question. I have my Apple iPhone thirteen. I've had it for a few years and I've recorded like barbershops songs, like like thousands of hours.
Speaker 5: Okays, some little things that I just post up like do do do Do?
Speaker 2: Do Do Do Do.
Speaker 13: I would like to figure out how to get that on the internet somehow so everybody can hear that. I'll I can post them all somewhere.
Speaker 1: How long are these.
Speaker 13: Well some of them are two or three hours, and some of them are just a few seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay? How did you.
Speaker 13: Record them on my voice and noms on my iPhone?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay? And is it is this copyrighted stuff or is this stuff you did?
Speaker 13: No, it's just my bar course it's not. You know, it's fine.
Speaker 6: I think I can put it up.
Speaker 1: Oh it's your chorus. Okay, so it's your okay, okay. Uh, I would think that. Well, hmmm, it's probably a couple of ways. I mean, do you want so you can do a you know, like a simple website and you want this for free? By the way, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 13: Want to post it so everybody can hear it about it? Cool stuff on there.
Speaker 6: I just want to get it out there for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of the free stuff has gone away, so I'm trying to see. SoundCloud obviously is one of the biggest, you know, places that people post stuff. But I'm wondering if they have now started to charge. Uh, let's see if they SoundCloud. It's like there, you know what they should have it. They should have a requirement that these websites should have the pricing information right on the front page. Because it's so many of the websites now will let you get started and then all of a sudden it's like, oh yeah, by the way, it's uh, this is it. Okay, so let's see a sound cloud. Okay. So it looks like next is up to three hours of track uploads. So that may not work for you, right, I don't know. So I think that they're all in one place.
Speaker 4: They're different, you know.
Speaker 1: Each one's okay. I think the best way to go about this is probably going to be YouTube because YouTube lets you pretty much upload unlimited for free, and the only trick is you're going to have to add video to the audio. Right. Oh yeah, yeah, so that's that's the main thing. So there's a couple of ways you can do this. There's some there's apps on the iPhone you can just like, you know, put video like a background to it. There's a whole bunch of just video apps that you can do that with, you know, like a cap cut.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard of that cap cut Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you just you just being needed. I mean, I'm saying, you just add a picture. So if you down the app called cap cut, you would basically just choose a background image and then you would put your audio under that image and it would generate a video. Because the reason I'm telling you that is because with YouTube, you have to upload a video file, not an audio file. So it's kind of like you're you're almost like hacking the system a little bit, but not really, It's not like you're doing anything wrong. It's just YouTube wants you to have some sort of background video. So if you just upload any sort of photo or picture or whatever, even even it's something you can create on Canva. Have you heard of that.
Speaker 13: Canvava?
Speaker 1: Yep, Canva c a n va. So I would. So here's what I would do. So take your audio, take your your take, sorry, start at cap cut, download that file, download that app, have that on your phone. Okay, then you're gonna go to Canva. You can download that app on your phone and create an image. So you're you're going to create a thumbnail image for this video. So let's say your barbershop song is about you know, the wide open you know, sunset whatever you would, you know, just go on on Canva and look for a sunset image and just put that on there and then export that. Now you have your picture, you'll have your audio from your voice memos. You go to cap cut and you merge those two together. So you basically drag and drop the picture in, you drag and drop the audio in, and now you export it as a file. It will ask you you know which aspect ratio. It'll have YouTube as a preset. You export it and then you go to the YouTube app you upload it. That sounds like a lot, but it is not. It's very very easy, and it's very very simple, and many many people do it, and it'll just get your stuff out there on YouTube. Now, the other thing you can do, there's a website that I like called Headliner. So if you want those kind of like fun little waveform images that people like to have on static audio, you can use an app called Headliner to do that. So that's called headliner dot app. And again I'll put all of this in the show notes. So if you're listening and you're like, wait, what, but that's unlimited as well, so I might even try that first, just because I feel like the waveform moving is kind of fun to have on your audio file. If it's on YouTube, it's just a static thing. So that's what I use to create the to create the podcast video video podcast of this show, because it's just a static image on YouTube. But don that's what I would do, and then upload them there. You'll get unlimited and just send people the link to the YouTube page. Let's see Roadblocks coming to PlayStation. Roadblox is gonna come to PlayStation on PlayStation four and PlayStation five in October. It's already on pretty much every platform except PlayStation and Nintendo Switch. So your kids are gonna be asking to play Roadblocks on PlayStation now. You know, one more way to waste their time. Triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven two four one zero one. Coming up, we're going to talk about tech for the blind. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology and uh on the line. You've got a familiar voice from the previous show. Julian Vargas, Mobile access technology specialist passionate about empowering blind and low vision users to uh leave fuller lives with mobile devices and apps. Julian, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on. Rich.
Speaker 1: Hey, I know that you called in the show a long time ago and you were you were giving a suggest and I said to Kim, I said, hey, why don't we just have Julian on the show one time? So it's taken a little bit, but I finally got you on. Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself? First off?
Speaker 4: So, first of all, I am blind, and the reason why that's significant is because I'm not just somebody who went and learned how to use these services or things and now it's teaching it to people. I actually live this stuff. I use it every day. It has made me productive and independence. So it's just my greatest pleasure in life when I can pass it along to somebody.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like technology has gotten better in recent years when it comes to assisting the blind and low vision?
Speaker 4: It certainly has. It's not to say that there isn't a long way to go in certain areas, but by and large, absolutely it has made a tremendous difference in just about all my everyday tasks.
Speaker 1: And so I guess explain for someone you know, because I think people you know they have an idea of what you know, blind is, what low vision is, Can you explain, like just kind of like give me an idea of how it impacts your life on a daily basis.
Speaker 4: So blindness is if you think of it on a spectrum. Very few people who are called blind really are completely and totally blind, meaning no light perception or anything. The vast majority of us have some either light perception or can see certain things. Maybe it's blurry, maybe it's only certain colors. So and some of it depends on light. Like my condition is a hereditary disease, so it's very similar to written pigmentosa, but it's a little different. And as I age, obviously normal sight deteriors anyway, but this condition particularly is known to deteriorate. So when I was about my early to mid thirties, I started to really notice that decline and realize that I had to start adopting the blindness methods of doing things, even if I still had some usable vision, because at the end of the day, you know, if you know how to do the blindness methods, it doesn't matter how bright it is, how dark it is, what the conditions are, what colors, whatever, you can function.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for that. That was very helpful for me. Let's talk about some of these features. First off, Google Lookout. Didn't this just recently get an update from Google?
Speaker 4: It's it's in the pipeline, you know how Google is. They announced something just like security updates, and then it determines the Google Gods determined when your device is blessed enough to receive a bit.
Speaker 1: That's so annoying, by the way, I believe me, I call it on TV. I always say whenever someone whenever a tech company says rolling out, it's the worst two words in the English language for a person that wants that feature, because you never know when you're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: I wish they could be like Apple. You know, when Apple announces an update, it happens and all the devices get it. You don't have to sit here and wait. But yeah, that's just the impatient part of me that likes to tinker with things.
Speaker 1: So Google Lookout, what does that do exactly?
Speaker 4: So Google Lookout is I almost think of it as a Swiss army knife of blindness tools. There's a similar app on iOS called Being Ai from Microsoft, and it's various different things. You can have it, for example, read text that it sees in front of the camera at that moment. You can have it describe objects that are put in front of the camera at that moment. Or you can take a picture of a document and perform optical character recognition and then have it read to you aloud. You know, you can have it identify currency, you can have it read barcode, you can have it du all kinds of things. But lately AI has entered the equation and it's making a huge difference in a lot of areas because you know, at the end of the day, we're limited in what the operating system makes the thing capable of doing. But AI, it just it just blows me away the amount of details that you get in descriptions.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so you've got Seeing Ai from Microsoft, You've got the Google Lookout, and then you also have this one. Now I've heard of this Be my Eyes app. Now they have be My AI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so b my Eyes is long known for the longest time. It's volunteers that agree to help blind people when they need a pair of vise to borrow. But what this does is it makes it so that now you can ask in AI. It's powered by chat GPT Force, it's the latest and greatest that they are their offerings and you could either take a picture or share a picture to it and it comes back with these stunning descriptions. In fact, it's very very lengthy, and a lot of times you just want to know about one particular thing in the picture. So that's what I like about it is that I can take a picture. For example, I took a picture. I'm a hammer operator, took a picture of one of my handheld radios, and of course it describes all the buttons, the layout, all that stuff. But I wanted to know what was on the display, so I could do a follow up question and say what does the display say? And it'll either tell me what the display says or tell me you know that part's glory. Could you send another picture, try to aim more towards the display and it kind of helps you to help it give me the information that I need.
Speaker 1: So wait, is that going through a volunteer that looking at this or is that through AI?
Speaker 4: That's through AI?
Speaker 1: That's that's oh wow.
Speaker 4: Four on the other end.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty advanced, it is. That's incredible, okay, And is that available now?
Speaker 4: It's it's available, but you have to sign up for because it's currently in beta, but they are opening that beta to more and more people these days. So anybody who has to be My Eyes app, if you haven't already, hit the button that says to sign up for to get on the waiting list for be my AI. I recommend doing it because then they put you on the list and when you get chosen, they send you an email thing welcome to be my AI.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, let's move on to iOS seventeen. Obviously, Apple is I feel like they've done a pretty good job with their accessibility features. You kind of have to, you know, look for them and enable the ones that work for you. But tell me about this new point and speak feature.
Speaker 4: So earlier on they've added things. Of all things they addeded in the Magnifier app, so you kind of have to know to look there, okay, but they've they've been doing things like like door detection and certain object detection. Well now they're adding this thing called point and Speak. And the reason why this is helpful is, let's say I'm at a facility or someplace that has a vending machine and it's got all these different buttons on it. Well, I can take a picture, or you know, I could put the camera in front of it. And from what I understand, if I put my finger over my finger over one of the buttons, it's going to tell me what I'm pointing to. So this is what makes the big difference is that now I don't have to try to guess that what it read to me and hope that I hit the right one. It's going to tell me when I'm hovering my finger over the right one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's interesting. So you kind of point your finger at it. Does a camera see that?
Speaker 4: Yes? The camera season and I guess the stuff in the app season and computes it and all that stuff and makes it happen. The thing is, though, you need a light our equipped phone, which I currently don't have. But I am strongly considering getting the iPhone fifteen Pro this year because lightar has been around for a while and I was waiting for it to mature and to see how it is going to get put to use. And now I've seen a use case that makes sense for me to add it to my toolbox.
Speaker 1: Okay, So light R was introduced on the iPhone twelve, so if you have iPhone twelve, iPhone thirteen, iPhone fourteen, or the upcoming iPhone fifteen. Yeah, they kind of introduced light AR with like all the AR stuff, and that never really took off with Apple. But now, of course they're doing the whole headset. So what do you think of that? The headset, by the way, do you think that's.
Speaker 4: I wish I had the bundy to spend on it, but I think there's a lot of potential with it because again, and this is the beauty of an Apple from day one. I've already seen demos of this that we're done at WWDC where it has voiceover in it, so already it's got custom gestures hand gestures that you do to interact with it. So I think there's a lot of potential to help blind in low vision in the futures it develops, and of course as a hopefully it price comes down a little bit, becomes a little more affordable to the masses.
Speaker 1: Let's help. So I was also looking at some of the features on iOS seventeen that are coming out, and this is not This is not necessarily an accessibility feature, but it's still handy. You can you'll be able to say, Siri, read this, and it will automatically read an article to you, you know, on the like if you're on a web page. So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's particularly handy for people who are high enough in vision that don't maybe use voiceover consistently, but may occasionally need some spot reading or some a little bit of help here and there. And that's what I like features like that, or Speak Screen that are also in accessibility, so help those people.
Speaker 1: Speak screen is inside the accessibility features. Yes, And who do you think is doing a better job? iOS or Android with the accessibility stuff?
Speaker 4: You know, Android has come a long way, I have to say, and I keep hoping that eventually it's going to get so good that I'm going to be able to make an Android my daily driver, because I like the idea of Android better than io s. But iOS, at least in my use case, is still the more functional tool. I have both phones because I have to know what I'm talking about for each of these platforms, so I do play with both, but I think they're both getting better. That there's one that's better at one thing, one that's better at the other. And I think in the end, it's a beautiful world we live in now that all the major operating systems more or less has some form of accessibility built into them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the fact that they're thinking about this and considering it and actually building the tools is pretty incredible. And before we go real quick, I just want to say, I was watching a movie the other day and you said retinus pigments pigmentosa. Is that what you said earlier?
Speaker 4: Mine is similar? Mine actually is called Leber's congenital amaurosis or LCA. That's my specific condition, but the one that it's very similar to is retinitis pigmentosa.
Speaker 1: Okay rtnitis. So I never heard that term in my life until a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a movie on Netflix called Happiness for Beginners, and I don't want to give away the whole movie, but they mentioned that in the movie. It's kind of a turning point, and so I anyway, I don't know if you heard of that, but that's uh. It's it put I issues front and center in a in a mainstream movie, which I thought was pretty neat.
Speaker 4: That is awesome.
Speaker 1: Julian Vargas Mobile Access, Technology, training and consulting. How can folks get in touch with you online?
Speaker 4: Best way to go is to my website www dot tech, JV dot com. That's T E, C. H JS and John Vis Invictor dot com. All my contact info is there for those who don't have the Internet and want to get a hold of me. Eight one eighth seven nine five four.
Speaker 1: All right, Julian, thanks so much for joining me today. I hope you come on the show again.
Speaker 4: I look forward to it. I'm available anytime you're like.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot. Okay, coming up the feedback segment, and I got to tell you about this new AI feature on eBay. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology, and it is time for your favorite part of the show, the feedback segment. What I love about this show is you sometimes you have the answers, the insight, the comments, the feedback that just really brings this show together. So I do appreciate you sending in this information. Let me get through a couple things before I get to that. First off, eBay says that they've got a new magical listing tool that uses AI to make selling on eBay faster, easier, and more accurate. So if you've ever posted anything to eBay, you know the challenge, right. You want to make things as specific as possible because people want to know specifics of what you're selling. But it also takes a long time to do that. Sometimes you're trying to identify the item you have, you know, you're typing in a whole bunch of stuff and then you know, so it takes a long time, and if you're doing a bunch of stuff, that could really get annoying. So eBay says they're now using AI with like eerie accuracy. They've got this new magical listing tool which literally lets you take a picture of something and watch AI fill in the details. It can write titles, descriptions, information which might even include the product release date, detailed category and subcategory. Plus it then cross references other products to suggest a listing price and a shipping cost. So this will really help people who may have something in their attic or in their garage and don't know where to start, like a vintage radio or you know, a collectible and the AI is like, oh, we know exactly what this is. Here you go, and so this is going to be really really cool. They also say that they've rolled out a better background removal tool.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 1: I find it funny that people like images without backgrounds. When I was shopping on eBay and selling on eBay back in the day, I thought the background, having like a little bit of like personality in the background was a good thing because then you could tell that was a real item versus something that was just taken on a blank background. But I guess people like, you know, if you're taking a picture like in your garage or something, you just want to see the image whatever. This is going to come out in the next couple of months as a public beta, so right now they're testing it with employees. Let's see. Polaroid has a new instant camera, the I two six hundred dollars. Would you pay six hundred bucks for a Polaroid at this point? But it's got some manual controls plus some high tech stuff. It can better focus, it's got light ar auto focus, got bluetooth, a better battery that's rechargeable. Six hundred dollars. It's the most premium instant camera from Polaroid. Guess what film seventeen dollars for eight pictures. I don't know about that one for me. I mean, I love the idea of a Polaroid. My kids have like the little cheapy ones, but they barely use them. I mean, it's all about the phone website Taste bud Dot taste dash bud dot io powered by AI. You type in what's in your fridge or an ingredient or a couple that you have, and it uses chat GPT and stable diffusion to brainstorm and dream up recipes. This was created by a couple of folks who just wanted to have fun. It's kind of a cool retro looking website. Taste dash bud dot io and Duo Lingo is adding math lessons. So if you know that app for their foreign language lessons, dual Lingo is adding math. Come October eleventh, they're going to announce more about that. All right, let's see question how long do we have? We got a couple of minutes here, let's go Oh gosh, I don't think we'll have time for questions, so maybe we'll just get to the comments. All right, You want to get to the first to voicemail comment. Let's hear the voicemail.
Speaker 14: Hi, Rich, I just want to say you're so helpful and informative and even for a gen X or slash millennial who think she knows some tech stuff. You know, can here myself free you tech savvy, but you have a lot. And also that segment on ringing and trying to get my parents to get a ring what's very helpful. So you rock.
Speaker 1: Thank you well, thank you. I love that. Melissa, thanks for leaving the voicemail. Dan email says love the radio show podcast. My son just started a new school year. The school bus is taking a different route because there's more kids to pick up, but it's taking more than an hour for my son to get to school on the bus. Is there a maps app that can coordinate a trip with multiple stops in the most efficient manner? I tried out AI. I just popped into Claude AI a bunch of addresses and I said, can you make the most efficient route? And it seemed to work, and Dan said, uh, he's working on it, so that might be one way. AI is really really wild with all this stuff. Let's see. We got to comment from Blue Green on Instagram about the privacy stuff with cars, he said, I switched to the Ford Mochee. It's shocking how much privacy I don't have. There's cameras everywhere. I've covered many of them. I bought an Amazon cover to cover one. It also assists with the sun. When I wear my sunglasses, the car yells at me to watch the road, so I have to cover that up. And no, I don't get lane assistance with that. These cars have live stream. And then he a whole bunch of emojis, peanuts, a clown, and a world so whatever that means. And then let's see here. Carol says, I got a random one dollar charge of my Spectrum account via my credit card. I called in. They said, if I want to pay my account via representative, I have to pay an extra five dollars. I said, nope, if I want to talk to a real person, no, I'm not doing that. So they yeah, fees are everywhere. Fees are everywhere. Please, if you ever get a feed just ask them to waive it and see what they say. I've done that with a couple of phone companies and things like that. All right, that's it for the feedback right now. If you can believe it. That's going to do it. For this episode of the show. You can find links to anything I mentioned here on my website. Just go to Richontech dot tv. This is show number thirty six. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. Say hi to me there. Next week all about the iPhone fifteen. I'll be up at Apple's event. I'll be telling you everything I saw there hands on with the new phone. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I just want to say thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Kim Bobo, Bill engineers at all the radio stations across America. My name is rich Demiro. Thank you for listening. I will talk to you real soon.