Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode one hundred and nineteen of Native lampod where we give you our breakdown of all.
Speaker 2: Things politics and culture.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, Angela Rye, joined by my co host Andrew Gilliman Bacari Sellers, as well as our dear brother.
Speaker 2: And guest ho host for this week, the Reverend doctor Jamal.
Speaker 1: I bought the dress, Bryant.
Speaker 2: I'll be saying that for no reason.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: I just want you to know I bought the dress for no reason.
Speaker 4: It haunts me to this.
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 5: Welcome this shit, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Welcome, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you'll got dress because.
Speaker 2: I told carry I'm taking a dress. Now.
Speaker 3: I'm glad y'all got dressed up. It's mine for the right, for the right. Reverend the come on the show. I put on my best usher board outfit. I got my shirt.
Speaker 4: You look like a d K job.
Speaker 5: Hell the Stewart, it's here in the Stewart corn.
Speaker 1: He needs to be an elder as old as the ex, as old as the ex. We're so happy to have you, and we are thrilled to jump right into the show. We added a new segment, Reverend doctor Jamal Bryant called situational Awareness. Yes for your situational awareness, and it's always because we have news you can use.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna jump right into.
Speaker 1: In January, the North Carolina Board of Elections advanced voter suppression causes by removing three polling sites on three college campuses, Western Carolina University, North Carolina and T and the UNC Greensboro. Last week, a judge ruled against student plaintiffs, refusing to allow the schools to retain the early voting sites, and some students responded in kind, let's roll the clip.
Speaker 5: You profiled us, you profiled us, you targeted us. You took away our accessibility to vote.
Speaker 4: You took away our accessibility to vote.
Speaker 6: You took away our accessibility to vote.
Speaker 5: All the benefit. Virginia Fox, Virginia Fox.
Speaker 6: But you will see us and you will feel us.
Speaker 4: But you will see us, and you will feel.
Speaker 5: Us, and you will feel us.
Speaker 7: I'm kyer Creek Moore and I'm running for the US House in North Carolina's fifth Congression.
Speaker 3: Editar join the.
Speaker 1: Movement, Shatay said, not only take our bowling site. But we gonna run somebody for office against you. I love to see it. WHI y'all got?
Speaker 3: I mean it's somebody who Yeah, somebody who ran when they were twenty one years old. I'm all four. And people are afraid of young people. Every college campus I go to, I ask one question of everybody when I speak, I say, is there a polling site on your campus? And most elected officials are deathly afraid of having young people have polling sites on their campus because they know they're going to show up and show out. And so Kyle Creek Moore, let me know when we knocking on doors what we need to do, brother, because I appreciate your energy, and I appreciate the way that you are mobilizing young people. In the mind frame of another North Carolina Anti State University grad, none other than Jesse Jackson.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it, Okay, We're gonna move right along. Then to last week, In a two hundred eighteen, two hundred and thirteen roll called vote, the United States House of Representatives passed the Save Act for a second time. The bill, which requires ID and proof of citizenship and proof of citizenship, let's be clear, now makes its way to the Senate, despite the fact that it is already illegal for non citizens to vote. According to the League of Women Voters, compared to white US citizens, citizens of color are three times more likely to lack documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization certificates, or certificates of citizenship or face difficulties accessing them. For example, while approximately half of all American adults possess a passport, two thirds of black Americans do not. Senator Chris Murphy had something to say about the Save Act coming to the Senate.
Speaker 2: Let's roll it.
Speaker 8: So Republicans have this bill to Save Act. It just passed the House of Representatives, it's on its way to the Senate, and it stands for one thing. They're trying to stop your right to vote. Republicans believe that Donald Trump won the twenty twenty election, and frankly, they believe that anytime a Democrat wins an election it must be because of fraud. They have no evidence of that claim because it's made up. The fact of the matter is, our elections in this country are wildly clean. There are very few, if any, actual cases of fraud in most elections, and when you find them, it's on the margins, one or two people that shouldn't have voted here or there. But Republicans want you to want you to believe that this is an epidemic.
Speaker 9: It isn't.
Speaker 8: But what they really want to do is just stop you from voting. So they're going to use this claim that there's fraud in our elections to pass the Save Act, which will make it way harder for you to vote. One of the things the Save Act does is to require your birth certificate to have your existing name on it. Well, for a lot of married women, your birth certificate right doesn't have have your married name, and so millions of women in this country are basically disqualified from voting. It requires you to produce when you register a birth certificate or a passport. We don't do that now, and that's how millions of Americans registered to vote online. But now online registration may be completely eliminated. The bill requires states every thirty days to purge their voter files of people, for instance, who haven't voted in a while. So if you're just busy and you haven't voted in the last couple elections, you might show up to vote in the next presidential election. And your name's gone because what they're trying to do is just take you off the rolls. This is absurd. It's all built on a lie that elections are being stolen by some cabal of Democrats and Nicholas Maduro and George Soros and whoever else. But it's really all about just trying to stop you from being able to vote. That's why we have to stop the Save Act in the United States Senate. That's what I'm going to be working on over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: What do y'all have on that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're one step away from how many bubbles are in a soap bar, that we're making the electric slide backwards. And I think it's apropos that you look at the infringement because of all of the things bocard that people will talk about Revend Jackson, is that what should not be discounted was the numbers of people organized to register the vote in four and eighty eight. It pulled in a hailstorm of black elected officials around the country who were elected because of his mobilization. And I want to hinge a wagon on the first clip is we spend a lot of energy around voter registration and get out the vote, and not enough energy preparing people to run for office. So for what that young student is doing in North Carolina, I'm excited and I hope that it catches on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I couldn't agree with you more regudd the first clip training up and also just helping people get in touch with their ideological belief system, like what do we stand for? What are we trying to do? What do we want to have changed by way of us having served? What do we want to be different as a result of this save Act is really it's not a problem in search of a solution. It's a solution in search of a problem. It'd be one thing if we had tens of thousands, even thousands of people or votes rather after each election being determined to have been illegally cast. But in most cases it's not even that the vote. That that a person has voted illegally is that they have inadvertently registered to vote or have been registered to vote, because many d mbs will put you on the rolls should you sign the consent, and people find themselves unaware that they had gotten registered and may later learn that they were not legally registered. Most the issues around votes in illegal voting taking place is caught at the registration process, and even there there are not significant numbers. So we're talking about a few hundred votes in the entire country over the last ten years were later determined to have been of votes cast that should not have been cast, and in truth, not enough to change the outcome of the election almost anywhere, not enough to change the outcome of the election. So this is a ruse. This is an attempt to disqualify as many women because women oftentimes when married changed their last name, the birth certificate doesn't match the last name that they have now. They then have to write to the government in the state in which they were born asked for them to produce a birth certificate that then matches. Then get with the state Secretary of state or whoever keeps documents for the state and the state that they may live in and figure out how they make reconciliation of all of these different documents. And I don't know about y'all, but I tried to get a Social Security card because I had misplacedmined and I will tell you I got two different cards sent to me with two different middle names.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Not one of them had the same middle name, and so then I had to go physically into the office, spend hours in waiting rooms until I could see an administrator would then work with me because I had requested a per certificate as well to then make this document right. Can you just imagine the burden that we are putting on people to frankly address a problem that is not a problem. Yeah, So it's a shame, and it's a sham. By the way, it's a sham, and it's an intention to keep out people from voting.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of sham, so is the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. I know you had something for her, Andrew Gillum.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean we got a clip of her, y'all. You probably may have seen her given commentary about what she believes her expanded role as Homeland Security Secretary and being over ice and the borders. Listen to what she has to say, and then let's try to clarify for her what her job responsibilities actually are.
Speaker 10: Elections is another one of those critical infrastructure responsibilities that I have as well, and I would say that many people believe that it may be one of the most important things that we need to make sure we trust is reliable and that when it gets to election day, that we've been proactive to make sure that we have the right people voting, electing the right leaders to lead this country through the days that we have knowing that people can trust it.
Speaker 5: Y'all, you know that's loaded, right, So I should let y'all go on about the right people voting right, get the right people voting to elect the right people. That's the Homeland Security secretary who believes that she has been invested with the powers of running elections in the countr. So here's the fact check. She has not been invested with the powers of running elections in the country. She has a responsibility in the development of the Department of Homeland Security. The Secretary is responsible for what is called the continuity of government. Should there be some cataclysmic event that takes out the president, the line of succession, a nuclear attack, or some other unforeseen circumstance that removes the power structure, the federal power structure, they are tasked by law to have a continuity of government. What would happen in such circumstance that the line of secession is wiped and you've got to keep the government running in some form or fashion that typically involves bureaucrats, people who know how to create these sorts of systems, researchers who produce these kinds of medicines and medical research, other administrators. People can keep up a basic function of government. Elections, however, through the Constitution and through everything where we've been taught so far as I know, are is a power that is to that of the state, and quite frankly, the state then develops that power further down to municipalities, most often at the county level. There are over one hundred thousand municipalities or governmental functions that are responsible for the conducting of any federal election at any particular point in time, over one hundred thousand agencies, and each one of them, by and large are operating by a different and unique set of circumstances, rules, guidelines, with only probably two major interventions by the federal government. It was the Save America Act and it was something like help America Vote. If y'all remember after the two thousand election tobacco, there were some guidance given to help states update their counting materials on and so forth. So the Secretary again has overstepped her boundaries. She has no responsibility for the elections of anyone at any level of government, federal, state, local, municipal. She's responsible for the continuity of government, which all of us out of shutter at the thought of any way. But it's generally a document that's passed on from secretary to secretary, so hopefy she don't screw around with it, somebody else has to hit this.
Speaker 3: Can I throw one fact out there real quick, because Andrew, you covered a lot of ground right there. But back in November, her office did find that there was one, as they called them, criminal alien who voted despite not being a United States Senate, United States citizen. So in the entire election, they found one criminal alien. That's their words, not mine. But as it turns out, that person actually had a green card and voted for Donald Trump three times. So I just want to I just wanted to throw that little fact check out there for you. You can't make it up, reverend, reverend doctor. I wanted to throw that fact check out. There's a New York Times article by the one and only Jonathan Carl who went through this and profiled how DHS had this huge thing about the about the criminal alien who voted multiple times in Kansas. He's now being prosecuted by the Kansas Attorney General for three counts of voting without being qualified in three counts of election perjury.
Speaker 1: Well, you said Andrew screwing around, and so speaking of that, we're gonna go ahead and filew this next one under they doing way too much.
Speaker 2: It's the twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Hundred Olympians who allegedly went through ten thousand condoms and it had not yet been a week.
Speaker 2: Happy that sound like that?
Speaker 3: Sound like graves? Hall?
Speaker 9: Hold on?
Speaker 5: Hold on?
Speaker 1: So I want you all to hear with this Olympic medalist and figure skater, Adam Rippon, who's also a podcaster. Now he has an answer to some of our questions about how they move in through these condoms.
Speaker 11: What's happening everyone, I'm Adam Rippon, and I have some questions that Winter Olympians get asked all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm going to answer them.
Speaker 11: What really goes down in the Olympic village. Well, obviously I've heard a lot about the condoms. Who hasn't I wanted to know where are all these condoms? Well, I did eventually find them in the medical tent. Now, in my mind it was this like, you know, lavish sort of experience, but really it was just like a basket filled with condoms that said in Korean generic condom, No Olympic rings, no fanfare, no frills. How do the athletes go through so many? I'll tell you how I went through so many because I took that basket of condoms and I opened my backpack and I shoved the whole maybe three thousand of them in my backpack, and I gave those to my friends as souvenirs. I think like the real Shenanigans are happening at the summer Games, because if you look at those athletes, they're basically naked and it's warm outside. I don't know what you think you're getting into at a cold place, you're in a parka. They already set you up so that there's too many layers to go through.
Speaker 1: I thought, this is so funny, and I do want to just take a moment to shout out the Olympics Committee for encouraging safety over everything since nineteen eighty.
Speaker 4: Eight, three thousand.
Speaker 2: They provided them.
Speaker 1: They were they were trying to provide a pathway to you know, protection to safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, at least the athletes give free health care. So these are overachieve a guys and a whole lot of others do not have.
Speaker 5: So these people have been overachieving all their life. Why wouldn't they continue to overachieve? You know, the Olympians need love too.
Speaker 1: It sound like they still. He then sold thirty thousand of them. Talking about he brought took him to his friends.
Speaker 4: Versuon, I wish somebody would get First of all, I've never heard of a condom as a supers what I was going to say, I wish somebody would give.
Speaker 2: I mean, it sounds like they like that in his friend group.
Speaker 1: He said, if I ain't got nothing else to take you, it ain't no pins, it ain't no shirts, it ain't no He's like, I'll.
Speaker 2: Thank you what I mean?
Speaker 5: And he said they were in Korean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said they said condom in Korean, So they're that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: They might try to erase our history, but we make more anyway. For the first time in history, five black surgeons are leading the trauma unit at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore. Let's roll this black excellence clip.
Speaker 12: Finally, the doctor is behind a different type of medical breakthrough. Take a good look at these five doctors. More than a portrait, it's a moment suspended in history. For the first time, five African American surgeons now lead the trauma service at the pre eminent Johns Hopkins Hospital. Tonight we hear from some of the trailblazers behind this historic team.
Speaker 6: My parents are so proud. I am the first physician in my family, and I think it's so impactful.
Speaker 12: For doctor Lawrence Brown, medicine is more than science. It's service.
Speaker 6: That's what's important to me. Equity has to remain at the forefront of how we deliver patient care, how we do research, how we scale programs up in our healthcare system.
Speaker 12: Doctor Zachary Numa is a result of service that was modeled and purpose that was inherited.
Speaker 13: Growing up in Columbus, Georgia in the nineteen nineties, I watched my parents, my mom a family medicine doc, my dad a general surgeon, show up to serve patients every day.
Speaker 12: For doctor E. Fae Sciombo, history isn't just remembered here, it's carried forward.
Speaker 14: The best part is that I get to save lives and have an impact every single day to anyone who's watching. Realize that your dream and capacity can only be limited by you, and if you can think it, see it, then you can absolutely reach it.
Speaker 2: I love it, proud of them any reflection, y'all.
Speaker 5: I would just say, for those who want to kick immigrants out or not let them in the first place, I'd be curious. I don't know the places of origin for all of the doctors there, but I could I think I could see that there were two who probably were from the continent or through their lineage with their parents. I could tell one by the head scarf representing one of an African country. So I just think we've got brilliant people who come from all over the world, and it's true in every profession. I'm proud of these brothers and I, you know, and sister, I wish them well. But just think again, when we want to push people so quickly out of this country, stop folks and coming in, how much this nation has grown, been built, sustained expanded by the you know, the teachings, the talents and creativity of people from all over the world.
Speaker 3: Let me just remind people who are listening that at last checking, I may be off by a half a percent or maybe a full percent, but about five five and a half percent of all doctors in this country are black. That number, because of the actions by the Trump administration, by the cowardice of some of these major institutions, is going to go down. That is an unfortunate reality we face. This is why we have to make sure that we're strengthening our HBCUs. Because of that five and a half percent, six percent, fifty percent of that number have graduated from our historically black colleges and universities. And my dad would always say, why are you trying to go somewhere where they don't want you anyway? And so I just want us to remember, as as young people are making these very difficult decisions about college, make sure you give the Xaviers of the world, the Florida and ms I Guess of the world. The more houses those individuals who have a history of producing doctors, give them a look. If your child wants to be a doctor, And if you're in a lum of that institution, instead of writing your five or ten dollars check a month, maybe one month, just use your drinking budget, you know, write one hundred and fifty dollars check, you know, a two hundred and fifty dollars check. And so I think that this is a lesson of our excellence, but also shows how much we have to you know, Ecclesiastes chapter three, Reverend says that there's a time and a season for everything. But you got a water. You got a water, what you've what you've sown in order for it to grow. And so hopefully we want our HBCU so we can continue to put forth great individuals like these. Five kudos and hats off to them.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to challenge a real re evaluation for the community with our healthcare professionals, with the attack on healthcare and Black people in an inordinate way of dying from pre existing conditions. I wanted to challenge our churches that we really have a health ministry in place. And I often say the Black Church is the only place in the world where you can volunteer to be a nurse. They don't know how to do CPR, they don't know how to do the high liver maneuver. They just got a pocket full of mints. But we got to make sure that we equipment. We got to equip the church so that we can get that information, and we need our black health care professionals to assist us because a lot of people in our community are going to be adversely impacted because they are either uninsured or underinsured.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well.
Speaker 1: In addition to these black folks making black history, our dear brother, Reverend doctor Jamal Bryant and his lovely bride, Reverend doctor because we can put some respect on her name to Reverend doctor Carry Bryant, made.
Speaker 2: History as well.
Speaker 1: At their church, they preach a joint sermon together for Black Love Day, Valentine's Day, and Frederick Douglass Weekend. And we want to roll two of those clips. Let's get it.
Speaker 13: Let me start by saying this, every woman is not the same. Come on, sisters, Her difference is what makes her unique. Your ability to learn the language of the woman in your life, if starts with you studying her difference, you may find often that there are two general styles for women. A style when she feels loved, when she feels spiritually and emotionally safe, when she feels respected, she'll be direct, but she gonna be tender. She's warm, and she's gonna be honest. When she's safe, she'll be playful with you. She'll tease and have banter back and forth with you. When she's respected, she'll be emotionally open with you and begin to share her fears, her vulnerabilities, and her dreams. She'll be nurturing and affirming. Her nonverbal attributes will show in her body language that it feels good to be around you. Can I tell you that a woman who is safe speaks differently, She moves differently, she engages differently. Now there is another style that she may have when she feels unsafe or indifferent. My lord, She's gonna be direct and short guarded, emotionally flat at times, cold, possibly withdrawing access from you. She might cold switch.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 13: That means you're gonna get corporate Carrie, and not the carry you know at home.
Speaker 5: Corporate.
Speaker 13: Hello, how are you? What is it that I can assist you with today? Did you receive the email that I see you? My hours are between nine and five. Would like to contact me? You can go through my assistant. She will be more than happy to help you. Y'all know what I'm talking about. She will be dismissive and uninterested. Don't think you're gonna get no band to no plan around, no smiles on our faces, because when we feel unsafe, we close off. We leave the text on red.
Speaker 3: She was just staring at you right now.
Speaker 15: Oh lord.
Speaker 4: There were times during the Super Bowl when bad Bunny looked in the camera but didn't say anything. I need you to hear this. The man in your life wants you to hear this.
Speaker 3: Women talk to you.
Speaker 5: Gonna have to.
Speaker 4: High fire me in the spirit. Silence does not mean disconnection. Women speak on average sixteen thousand words a day. Brothers, just blink at me twice. I know you can't say amen right now. Just meet me in the hallway. I got you. Women speak sixteen thousand words a day and men only speak seven thousand words a day. So many times men hear this, think through reflection and not through articulation. Wives, I got to ask you a question. Think for a moment. Why it is only men who require a man cave. There's no such thing as a woman cave.
Speaker 3: Men.
Speaker 4: When we hear what you are saying, we think, how do we solve it? And many times you are sharing when we are looking to solving.
Speaker 1: Boy, I want to hear this type of feedback you are going. I was like, I want to go back and hear the whole thing. I have not yet, and I really want to.
Speaker 4: No. My parents years ago. My mother transitioned last year, but years ago, my parents used to preach together in their church in Baltimore. This is over twenty five years ago. So I said, carry, let's try it. This was our first time ever doing anything in that realm at all. But what I really want you to see, Ange is after the sermon, we renewed the vowels of one hundred and fifty married couples. So to see one hundred and fifty black couples on one stage, what was amazing, Andrew. What was crazy is we wanted to honor the couple that had been married the longest. They had been fifty seven years married. And then we said, who's been married the shortest amount of time. It was a couple that was four months. So we said, we're going to give a gift to the couple who's been married the shortest amount of time to go to dinner with the couple that's been married the longest, so that they can them and mentor on and give them the tools. So my staff hands me a card. Okay, the couple that's been married. To show this some abount of time is Lisa and Michael, said Lisa and Michael. Because it's one hundred and fifty couples out here. Lisa and Michael, y'all come up. We want to give you this gift certificate and meet the oldest couple. Okay, the couple that have been married for four months was sixty years old. Because the groop, the group was on a cane.
Speaker 3: We had to help you get up.
Speaker 4: When you're talking about love for the second time and what we had in our path.
Speaker 16: Man.
Speaker 4: But to answer your question, it was it was absolutely Love comes in so many different shapes and sizes forms. Listen, don't let love just happened for the twenty years, right, letting Nana get some. Letting Nana get some.
Speaker 1: Oh Lord, first of all, my brother she so let me find out he pop pop. But yeah, that is incredible.
Speaker 17: It was.
Speaker 2: It was such a good sermon.
Speaker 1: And I think the way that the clips because again, y'all, I'm going to go back and watch it. I urge our listeners to go and watch it and listen to it as well. But I think what's so remarkable about it is, you know, with you and with Carrie, I love you, Guys's love. I just sent a text the other day. I sent Carrie's clip to Mignon and Kim and I literally said that. I said, she is the perfect mate for Jamal, Like we could not have designed a better person.
Speaker 2: God knew exactly what God was doing.
Speaker 1: So I just I want to shout out our dear sister, especially because there's so many times where she's come under attack for being different, for showing up in ways that they don't see a traditional first lady or you know, a pastor who's a woman, And I just love that she's like, I am going to define myself for myself and y'all just gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Wait and see. That doesn't mean that it's any less painful.
Speaker 1: So I applied you to brother for being ride or Di said a wheels fall off and saying I bought the dress and everything else you got to say in between.
Speaker 2: To make sure that she knows she's protected.
Speaker 3: And you know, why are you here? Let me just steal some advice from you while we got you. Let me ask you a personal question. Just act like Andrew and Angela aren't here, But what are some of the tools that you use in your marriage. Whenever moments of conflict arise with someone who is strong and independent and someone you love with your whole heart, but equally yoked, how do you avoid spiraling and making sure that your lines of communication remain open.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say just to Bakari and Andrew as you can is drop the whole controversy with the dress really awakened something in me Boocard that I had adjusted to disc function. I was so used to being persecuted that I became nun so it didn't bother me what blog said or what the Internet had to say, or what was the crazy comments, because I'm used to people coming sideways, But seeing my wife's humanity in it, I realized that I had compartmentalized. And because all of us, Bacary, Angela, Andrew, we have grown up in public space one way or another. You can become so numb to it or adjusted to it that you almost have to parent your partner. You know you holding it. It's gonna be okay, right, this will be at the next news cycle. Just give it a couple of days. Don't respond, because we've been in it, and if not ourselves, the people who have mentored us we have had to watch them go through it and so becaar. It tapped into my humanity that it's okay to be superman. But the reality is all of us are clock can and so rather than being dismissive, you have to identify with the pain. Not I tell you it's okay, but to say, you know what, this hurts me too, and it hurts me that it hurts you. But minimizing it is only going to exacerbate it, because it's gonna make them question why am I hurt? Why am I angry? And when we're in this public space, people forget that you're human, They forget that you actually have feelings. And so we have gone into we pray together every day as opposed to praying together when we're in crisis. So when you pray together every day, it creates a different kind of rhythm so that it doesn't become alien and it's not in case of emergency break glass. My mother used to say something to me years ago, and I give this to all the singles who are watching. Prayer is more intimate than sex. That people will sleep with you who would never pray with you. That's a fact.
Speaker 3: You don't you know? Some of their prayers don't make it through the roof, so you can't listen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can always tell us, I would say, identifying it and then taking away your tough skin, because it can become an enabler. And you got to really get in touch at your humanity and a lot of times because we feel it through our kids, or we feel through our spouse, and so being more in tune to your humanity and not just the black button.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to take some time that was on my heart.
Speaker 5: So I just had to ask, Yeah, well you are I mean you the descermine y'all hit y'all, y'all hit on it. I mean y'all been in anybody's households. It felt like you you observed enough of what happens in marriages, and obviously your life experience has lent a lot to it. But blessing to your parishioners and obviously for you all's willingness to make sure that you're sharing your messages outside of the edifice, outside of the building itself, so that you know, unchurched people and otherwise are able to access it and be drawn closer quite frankly to Christ, because that's what this is all is that's what this is all for. That it brings us closer uh and and deeper into our faith. And I'll just say you you were running down my street, up the block through the front door on this idea of the numbing that you do with regard to criticism, to the point that you lessen it so much that when others are going through it, your spouse, you're like, why can't you snap back? It's just like, you know, keep it moving, like get with it where that is what it is, move on and it'll be over and Jay during you know. So the zenith of crisis that we were in, a bought this T shirt that said, what you don't understand about me, what you need to understand about me is I'm not you and the rest will make sense. And it, like spoke, she had reached out a place where it was like, Okay, what works for you is and what work for me, and what work for me may not work for you, but you just need to understand that we're not gonna see these things the same way. I have my own way of seeing it. And now the rest of all my decisions will make sense to you that they're not yours, their mine.
Speaker 4: And let me add because I don't want to be presumptuous of everybody knowing my story. It is the second marriage for both care and myself. I was divorced for ten years. Carry was divorced for nine years, and Nelson Mandela said, it is not a loss, it's a lesson. That's right, and so you should learn something from your previous relationships. Sometimes the lesson is you learn what not to do, and you learn that it's not always the other person, but what is the brokenness in you that has to be address right?
Speaker 1: That's right, well on that there is a broke, some brokenness in our community. This week we lost the giant nobody knows.
Speaker 2: We want to pay tribute to that giant right now.
Speaker 9: At three o'clock on Thanksgiving Day, we couldn't eat turkey because Mama must to paying somebody else's turkey. At three o'clock we had to play football if you have detained ourselves. And then around six o'clock she would get off the After this the bus and we would bring up the leftover us and eat out turkey leftover us the caucus the Cranberrys around eight o'clock at night. I really do understand every one of these funny labels they put on you. Those of you were watching this broadcast at night in the projects on the corners, I understand. Call you out cast, low down. You can't make it. You're nothing. You're from nobody, sub class on the class. When you see Jesse Jackson, when my name goes in nomination, your name goes in nomination. I was born in the slum, for the slum was not born in me, and it wasn't going in you. And you can make it wherever you are tonight. You can make it. Hould your head high, stick your chest out, you can make it. It gets dark sometimes, but the morning comes. Don't you surrender suffering, grief, character, character, priests, faith In the end, faith will not the support. You must not surrender. You may or may not get that, but just know that you are qualified. When you hold on and hold out. We must never surrender. America will get better and better. Keep hope of life. Jeep Hope alive, Jim Hope alive. Oh tomorrow night and the yond, Jeep Hope Alive. I love you very much.
Speaker 8: I love you very much.
Speaker 1: I can never see that clip and not cry, So I just will say that there are plenty of obituaries going out from press, from white publications, some of them throwing the little digs in the shade. And we all have personal stories with Reverend who has shaped all of us in some way, and so we wanted to take some time today to share some of those stories. And I will yield to whomever wants to start. I need just a second to gather, but we have a ton more clips just of Reverend himself and also a response, a preemptive response from Reverend to Donald Trump before that crazy social post on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I think we should let our guests go first and set the tongue.
Speaker 4: I am overwhelmed. Our generation never saw doctor King in person, but were able to get to the hymn of Jesse Jackson. What a lot of people miss is in the last speech of Martin Luther King Junior at Mason Temple, Church of God in Christ, he told the people in the audience tomorrow morning, go to a black bank, put your money there. He told them about a bridge company in Memphis, because he began the shift from civil rights to civil rights. And what a lot of people are going to miss over the next ensuing days is that Jesse Jackson really heralded around corporate responsibility from Budweiser to Pepsi to Toyota, and a large measure what it is that we're doing with the Target Fast boycott is the the seed of Reverend Jesse Jackson, who modeled that. And I am proud that his last protest in his life was with me outside of Target in Chicago, and so I'm grateful that the legacy he left, he was able to see another generation carried the torch, and I prayed that we'll continue to do.
Speaker 3: So. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 5: What an honor and pastor you taking the baton, because you're crystal clear and right on the ways in which Reverend Jackson really made centerfold for our community economic uplift, economic justice in the form of making sure boardrooms and c suites reflected black people, black men, and black women at those tables. And I will tell you, if we could interview some of those earlier C suite executives and corporations Fortune five hundred and for one companies in this country, if we could interview those black folks who walk through that door, I would wager that many of them would credit the work of Jesse Jackson. Those who are aware were credit the work of Jesse Jackson as having created a pathway and open opened some doors. I'll tell you my first real work with Reverend Jackson was in like nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, and I will admit I was not really receiving him with open arms. I had and I think, if I'm to be honest, a lot of my peers, you know, in college in two thousand at that time, were skeptical of Reverend Jackson. They weren't sure if this was you know, some flash you got, you know, suit who with cameras coming in to overtake you know, our protests and what we were trying to do or what was going on. So there was a there was sort of an eye of suspicion, and I'll tell you those walls came down and the very few days that we got to spend together organizing around the march on Tallahassee, the largest civil rights protests in the history of the state of Florida, around voting the two thousand presidential election, where he came and camped out here. The marches in which he came and assisted me with not by my invitation, by the way. And that was the beauty of him is he didn't really wait for you to call him, you know, to invite him to the protests. You were organizeding to the city and you were leading. I don't know how he did it, but Rev had his tentacles, you know, to the ground, and you know.
Speaker 3: He called up, what's y'all gonna do about that? What do y'all?
Speaker 5: Y'all fam U students, you right there in the capitol, right there with the government, right there with the governor. And he was the one of the first people who teach me, to taught me the lesson that it wasn't It wasn't just when black people at fam you were impacted that we need to show out, but because of our proximity to where power was, and he meant physical proximity in the same city where the governor lives and where the legislature convenced that when when they come out to black people, is our responsibility to be the first line of defense. He expected us to be down sleeping at the capitol or protesting us either governor's mansion or doing whatever was required to raise the voices and the rejection of black people and to register that complaint not just on behalf of us as family students, but on behalf of black people in the state of Florida.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 5: He imbued in us the belief that we had a responsibility for our collective community, not just for ourselves. I'll never forget it, and I've tried to pass that on to other young leaders as I've encountered them. He was here again with my sister when she was student body president, and Philip Agnew, who was student body president, served as vice president to him, and they began the organization Dream Defenders right there sitting at the knee of Jesse Jackson when they protest and stayed and slept on the capitol floor of the rotunda in the Florida Capital for thirty one days, thirty one days, and Reverend Jackson came in in those final days because he said he knew that the government was not going to respond in the way that it should under the Republican administration, so that those kids needed a way that they could exit that building with pride.
Speaker 18: He wanted them to be able after thirty one days to walk out in victory, and so he flew down and eleven o'clock at night is convening us to talk about what the strategy is going to be for their exit.
Speaker 5: And on behalf of my sister myself. I'm sure Philip Agnew would agree that the lessons he's taught is the gift that keeps on giving, because these young people have now gone out into the world and have made really big change, and because of him, they are able to do it with a more strategic.
Speaker 3: Mind that.
Speaker 5: Reverend Jackson may have been there on the front lines of the protests, but believe you me, before they came out there, there was a meeting about what was going to happen the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that and the day after that, because that's the way he thought. He was already he had his mindset on what victory was going to look like for us, and in the process of protesting, he didn't want us ever to walk out looking like or feeling like.
Speaker 3: We were the losers.
Speaker 5: He wanted us walking out feeling and believing and having achieved real victory there. And I'm thankful for it. And for those folks who get skeptical of the leaders that you see on TV all the time, or the ones you think run around and just chase cameras and aren't really invested in what it is you do. I would actually to reconsider and think again, because as I now reflect on it, I know that the attention that we got on so much of the activism that we were doing at the time wasn't because it was good and just working us necessarily. It was because the Reverend decided to show up, and with him came twenty thirty forty cameras and journalists who told our stories and broadcast it out for huge audiences to here, to understand and to activate around. And so I thank him, and I hope that he goes to glory knowing that he has raised multiple generations of people who were prepared to pick up the torch and keep marching.
Speaker 1: I want to roll this nineteen eighty four clip of his DNC speech before we get to you, Bikari.
Speaker 9: President Reagan sass nation is in recovery. Those ninety thousand corporations that made the prophet last year but paid no federal taxes are recovering the feder seven thousand military contractors for benefited from Reagan's more than doubling the military budget in peach time. Sure that they are recovering. The big corporations and rich individuals who received the book of the three year mother begging tax cuts for mister rigging are recovering, but no such recovery is on the way for the least of These rising tides don't lift all boats, particularly those stuck at the bottom. For the boats stuck at the bottom, there's a misery index. This administration has made life more miserable for the poor. Its attitude has been contemptuous. Its policies and programs have been cruel and unfair the working people. They must be haled accountable in November for increasing into mortality among the poor. In the chart one of the great cities of the Western world, babies are dying at the same rate as Honduras, the most undeveloped nation in our hemisphere. This administration must be held accountable for policies that look contribute to poverty in America. They are now plenty four million people in poverty, fifteen percent of our nation, twenty three million of white, eleven million Black, Hispanic Asian, and others, mostly women and children. By the end of this year, that would be forty one million people in poverty. We cannot stand O Leby, we must f fight for change now.
Speaker 2: Pakari.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I mean I think that people sometimes get caught up in the oratory or the cameras or the lights, but they don't know the dynam dynamism that is the man. I mean, you're talking about someone who rescued hostages from Syria. You're talking about someone who at his infancy ran Operation bread Basket. You're talking about someone who nestled up with doctor Martin Luther King Jr. But also was respected by Ronald Reagan. I mean, just when you look at the resume and the breath of it, I think we all envy the level of respect that came with being Jesse Jackson. I also think that his mind worked in ways that others really don't understand. It was a message that Jesse and my father would always say. And I remember when Deray and Brittany and all of them at the beginning of Precipice of Black Lives Matter, where marching and blocking highways in Louisiana, and my daddy called and said, you know, let's make sure that they're not protesting at night, because people do under the cover of darkness what they wouldn't otherwise. Do during the day. It was this kind of way in which we've seen this and done this type of ideal that Reverend Bryant talked about that they lived through that you don't have to read about it. You know the people who can tell you the stories. And my familiarity with Reverend Jackson is that I call him Uncle Jesse, like we called him Uncle Mary and Barry or Uncle Julian Bond. I'm a product of the proverb it takes a village to raise a child. And so as we were laughing beforehand, we always call the little Jesse Jesse Jackson Junior, Little Jesse because when he was at North Carolina A and T he used to babysit me. He used to come over and eat spaghetti dinners on Friday. That was the type of family structure that we had. And my dad and Reverend Jackson they clashed at times like many people throughout the movement, and it wasn't a clash over how much do we love black folks. It was a clash over how do we get to the mountaintop. And as I talked about a little bit on air and love using my platform to uplift store, where is that people don't know. You know, as you had those rifts between W. E. B. The Boys and Booker T. Washington, the same rifts you had with Martin and Malcolm, the same riffs you had of legendary riffs that I know Reverend Bryant knows about between Julianne Bond and John Lewis. The more fascinating part about Barack Obama and Jesse Jackson is that they were able to have a conversation before one of them passed away. They were able to mend those fences, They were able to let their heart beat. You saw the tears that came from Jesse Jackson's eyes when Barack Obama won that election. You saw him be able to echo the fact that his work meant something. And I just look at the product you talked about, Andrew, what he meant to you all in that circle. I recall when my father worked on the nineteen eighty four and eighty eight campaign, really close to Jesse. But they hired two young women who we both know. They hired a young woman named Donna Brazil. They hired a woman named Mignon Moore. These institutions, right, that's where they got their start. You know how many people got their start in nineteen eighty four, in nineteen eighty eight, and it's just fascinating to see. And Bernie Sanders, for example, is eighty something years old. And I can say this with true veracity. There would not be a Bernie Sanders if there wasn't a Jesse Jackson. There wouldn't be an AOC if there wasn't a Jesse Jackson. And he was bigger than the Democratic Party. That's what I want people to know. He spoke to a humanity that people don't necessarily recognize. I encourage everybody to go back and look at his nineteen eighty eight speech, the one that we watched a clip of, but watch how he talked about the American quilt. The last point that I'll make is something that I echoed before, but it's so important, and his oratory reminds me of revend Bryant's so much, not just an allocution, but in the way that they're able to drive home lessons with metaphor, because the way that Jesse Jackson was one time pinned down by a white reporter. He echoed this later in his life about equality, and he compared it to sport. And I go back to that all the time, because it's not that we excel in sport because of our size or our hyper athleticism. We excel at sport because no matter what basketball court you get onto, it's ninety four feet, it's fifty feet wide, the rim is ten feet high, the basketball is the same size, and the rules are known before the game. It's the same with the with the baseball feel, it's the same with the hockey ring. It's the same with the track. We know the rules. When the rules are clear, we can excel. However, outside of sport, for black people, those rules change. And Reverend Jackson was just so clear about it. He loved his family, He loved Youseuff, he loved Jesse, he loved he loved Jonathan, he loved them, He loved every single person that he came around with. I was fortunate enough to allow him the opportunity. We saw each other in Chicago and he was in a hotel. I was for a conference, and he wanted to speak to Cleve. He had an opportunity to speak to my dad, and that was just a powerful moment.
Speaker 4: I want to just as an aside, just for historical record, is the transition that Reverend Jackson brought in the black and white footage of the civil rights movement. Everyone was pristine and black suits, white shirt, black tie. Jesse Jackson is not given due in large measure to help usher in hip hop culture. So to go from those shop line haircuts to afros, dashiki's and medallions was not just a change in leadership. I don't want it to get so far away. It was a change of what we knew for leadership to look like and gave permission that we did not need acceptability from what a culture was looking like. So from some of the Montgomery they marched, all them miles in suits and dresses and eels and stockings, and Jesse comes with his chest out with a fist lifted up saying, hey, take me as I am. And out of that really came the raw audacity of hip hop culture to say this is who it is, that we are the most known slogan and Americana outside of a coca and a smile, and you deserve a break today? Is I am? Somebody? Keep up alive. And so that's before we started using saying you have a brand. This was our marching orders. The soundtrack of Jesse Jackson's movement was James Brown say aloud, I'm Black and I'm proud. Uh So to know how revolutionary it was for poor black people to say I am somebody.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: What wasn't just a slogan or a T shirt or a banner, It was a mindset, right, And so Angela, that is so important because he was saying I am somebody drum roll. Before there was a Ted talk, Yes, before there was self help books at Bonds and Noble, before people could listen to audio books, they knew I am somebody. And I think that to raise the self esteem of ostracized and marginalized people is a work that you can't even quantify. And so I'm I'm grateful for him by having that kind of brave, raw audacity to tell oppressed people I'm somebody. He is simply amazing.
Speaker 3: He was always proud, and I think I'm sorry. I was just going to say a lot of people don't know his story growing up in Greenville. His mother was sixteen years old when she had him, and people don't know that part of his story. He grew up in abject property. The unique part about it, which I hope kind of I'd say it was like his villain. What do they say when you like your villain arc or whatever, when you're born into the villainy or whatever. But people don't know that his father, his father lived right next door to him. He didn't know that growing up. But his father was a successful businessman who was also his next door neighbor. And here he is growing up in abject property when I mean poverty. They used they had an outhouse, and he grew up under the rigors of segregation, riding in the back of the bus, drinking out of different water fountains. And here he is growing up poor and the man who is your quote unquote father, is your next door neighbor. I mean, just think about the the effect that that has on who you are. And that's why when he says, I was born in the slums, but the slums are not in me. I mean, it just speaks so powerfully to his story. And I also help I also think that his entire life and this is just me talking, and you know we've talked about it, but I think he was trying to prove something to himself, and I think he was proving something to the world. And I think he was proving something to his father that I am somebody, and I think that that was really, really profound. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, before I do my tribute for Reverend Jackson, I want to run a clip of my dad on a news show just this week where he talked about his own experience with Reverend Jesse Jackson.
Speaker 9: We must never surrender.
Speaker 5: The medical will get better tonight.
Speaker 19: Western Washington and the United States as a whole are mourning the loss of civil rights icon Jesse Jacks, Kira Resivans, Jack Bill yu Is life at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle and Jack. Reverend Jackson made frequent visits to the Pacific Northwest. You spoke to some of the people who were right by his side.
Speaker 17: Yeah, And for many of those visits, Cairo Seven's cameras were rolling. They usually included a stop right here at Mountain Zion Baptist Church where he'd preached, plus other stops I aimed at mobilizing African Americans or holding the powerful to account.
Speaker 15: We were OG's, so you know, we've worked on a lot of things together.
Speaker 17: Eddie Rye knew Jesse Jackson better than most. Rye ran his campaign for president Washington State in nineteen eighty four, one of the many times they worked together over the course of more than half a century of friendship.
Speaker 15: He was a jovial guy. My daughter Angela visited with him less than a month ago. He was in Burbo at the time.
Speaker 17: Why says the biggest lasting legacy of Jackson's long and storied career is the way he transferre formed the participation of African Americans in the political process, turning them from voters or donors into delegates and advocates.
Speaker 15: A lot of people had never thought about really get intricately involved in the political process until Reverend Jackson ran it. And that's something that resonated all across the country.
Speaker 17: But his career didn't end after his two runs for president in the eighties.
Speaker 4: This city really owes a lot to Reverend Jackson, and Reverend Jackson loved this city.
Speaker 3: He loved coming here.
Speaker 17: Nate Miles and Darryl Powell showed Jackson around during a visit to Seattle in the twenty tens when he met with tech giants like Microsoft to advocate for diversity. Returned to the civil rights hub of Mount Zion Baptist Church and spoke to students at Rainier Beach High School.
Speaker 16: There's much challenge of them today.
Speaker 3: If you study, you can be somebody.
Speaker 7: And he always had that I am somebody, and we writ into the chant that I am somebody.
Speaker 5: They were excited taking pictures.
Speaker 7: It was just very motivating for the students as well as the staff.
Speaker 17: Jackson's role in the fight for equality is now a but those who knew him say they will never forget what he stood for.
Speaker 15: The impact of Reverend Jackson will last forever.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 17: The men you just heard from say people would call on Jackson for help with all kinds of things. That includes pushing for the freedom of a local man who was imprisoned in North Korea. Well, hear what his family had to say about the reverends passing tonight at six live in Seattle. Jack Billy you Cairo seven.
Speaker 1: I want to say that I grew up with a picture of Reverend Jackson on the fireplace mantle. There was a picture with doctor King and Malcolm X, and right next to that was this picture of Reverend And you saw that picture on top of somebody's nineteen eighty four campaign sign. And my dad worked on his eighty four and eighty eight campaigns. He ran the Washington State campaign I think in eighty four, and I cannot remember. There's not an early childhood memory I don't have that doesn't involve Reverend Jackson's presence either, you know, through something my dad is saying, some other protests were about to get involved in. I talk a lot about this on my solo podcast from Tuesday. But I also came into being around Reverend based on the work path that I ended up choosing, or the path that chose me. When I went to DC after law school, we started an organization called Impact, and very quickly Impact became like a partner organization with Rainbow Push.
Speaker 2: When Big bro.
Speaker 1: G Flow was there Gary Flowers, and so he did a panel at a Rainbow Push convening, and true to form, Reverend Jackson would go in every single panel discussion and go to the mic.
Speaker 2: And I'm using this story because to Andrew's.
Speaker 1: Point, I was like, why he always got to do that, Like we're in the middle of a program and he would go in and he'd say that's something. And what I remember in this moment, I was so offended because he came in and he said, Jeff Johnson was moderating this conversation. He takes the mic from Jeff and he was like, y'all are talking about who's got next? I think that literally was the name of our panel discussion. And you can't replace a giant with goliaths. David didn't just use a slingshot to take him out. He had to cut his head off. And I was like, why he want us to cut his head off? Like what's going on? And I think to this day there are aspects about what he said that I don't understand. But to me, passing the torch isn't about dishonoring the folks, the giants who come before you. It's about ensuring that you don't kill off a legacy unless you think that legacy is not worth living for. And I certainly don't think the man who had a theme song run Jesse Run that Lou Rawls and Phillis Hymon and James Cleveland did for his eighty four campaign is somebody whose head is worth cutting off. Quite the contrary, this is someone who when I was the executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus, he was the only non CBC member who could come in the meeting and be a.
Speaker 2: Part of the meeting.
Speaker 1: He was a CBC member to us when he did Rainbow Push Tech twenty twenty to ensure that the tech industry would become more diverse. The CBC without question took on doing that same exact initiative on the Hill. And then I think the other thing that I would just reflect on is Reverend Jackson's calling responses, which are legendary. And the reason why his calls and responses are legendary is because you would start off with I am somebody, and you would do them three words, and then he would hit you with a paragraph you couldn't keep up with on the other end, like you're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to respond like I can't even remember what she said.
Speaker 1: So he would just he would have these moments that would be so funny, and even you know, as he started losing his cadence and we couldn't understand him as well, he was still making us do call and response, which is also funny. I do want to just take a moment to send so much lef his family, to his kids, to missus Jackson to a staff member, John Mitchell, who preceded him in passing to Gary Flowers. So I called big Bro g Flow to Butch Wing, who's based in the Bay and worked for Reverend for many years. Shelley Davis, Lamel mc morris, and Tyrone. Tyrone, I'm sorry I cannot think your last name, but no, I love you. And then the last thing I'll say is the last time I saw him was in the hospital in November.
Speaker 2: I really wanted to make sure I saw him.
Speaker 1: My dad couldn't go because my mom had just had a really bad fall and I had to go for a speech. So I went to see him, and Reverend was squeezing hands when he couldn't speak. But there was a moment where he really felt like I needed to know my marching orders. He couldn't get them out in a way that I could understand, but I told him when he was ready to talk, that he could call me, and then, no matter what the marching orders were, that I would fulfill them. I made sure I called Congressoman Water so he could talk to her and hear her. And I called my dad, who decided to recite back to him his bio as if he hadn't lived out that story. But I will tell you that I'm very clear about my marching orders. I played them on the show on Tuesday in nineteen seventy two, Reverend told us that it was nation time, and as we go through these very harrowing times, my biggest regret for him is that he didn't see us turn the corner in a very ugly moment in our history. But I know that our marching orders right now is that it's nation time and we have to build, and we have to build together. We have to do that with us. People see him as a great unifier, and he was. But before he was a great unifier, he ensured that our foundation as black.
Speaker 2: People was strong.
Speaker 1: And so with that, I do want to just take a moment to correct the record. Donald Trump posted on truth Social about Reverend Jackson. He was writing saying that he was an extraordinary man. We can put that post stup, nick and I won't read all of this. Of course, he chose to focus on a rift between Barack Obama and Jesse Jackson that Bakari's already addressed today. He lied about the long term funding for HBCUs that he claimed to give, about the criminal justice reform that he's taken credit for, about giving as if he's ever supported reparation space to Reverend Jackson for Rainbow Coalition. But he was right in saying that he was a great man, a good man with lots of personality, grit, street smart. Seems a little racist, but we won't belabor the point. I do think it is worth hearing from Reverend Jackson his own words about what he had to say about Donald Trump.
Speaker 16: That's what well, I wasn't see us in this year. He was our collective go to defeat Donald Trump. Trump represents something dangers to America, using the presensor for personal gain. Unto saying the modern claws and our constution playing on racial fears in Africa, and the asshole is stands far. It's an American judge incapable of being judicious.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 16: The Charlottesville CISTUS where he had the white supremacist Marge particulate as Chown's and Jews uh bend and Muslims. It does some awful stuff to America, and we cannot afford that we're more I stayed in the world. I say it from the Seven Countries. Well, I say it from our neighbors in Canada and Mexico. We deserve better leadership in this. I want to see Trump.
Speaker 5: Defeated Answeerlau, I love you. That clip just reminded me. I think you're wrong. I think he is. He did live to experience some of the change. Probably what I think is going to be at the start of this of this shift to reclaim our country hole, and that is that it wasn't a military that drove this disastrous administration out of Minnesota. Uh not even the courts didn't do it. Not a senator, not a congress, not a House speaker or Democratic leader. People. And this was so I think people with the evolution of time and technology, you think because you posted your objection on Facebook or Twitter or or x or or or truth or whatever, that you've done your activism. And what what what? What rev understood so importantly, so critically, is that bodies in the streets, people in physical form, not in force, not not not not not a force of of of of of of of anything other than their bodies being there. And if he didn't do anything else, he taught us to put down the phone, put down to this, bring your body to this fight, get on the streets, walk, march, sit ins, sleep in. And you know, people may call it old fashioned, they may think that that's just not how it's going to work anymore. Then let's just look to the example. The people coming to the streets are what got ice and a corrupt government out of their state. And I think that that's what's going to save us every time. And that lesson again was talked to him. He taught it to us, and we got to keep teaching it, so on and so on.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the point of the show where we get to our cause to action.
Speaker 9: Who cares about truth when the last morning seen.
Speaker 1: It, There's no better way for us to transition to that from one of the greatest action takers of our time working on behalf of the people.
Speaker 2: So I'll yield to whomever wants to go first.
Speaker 5: I thought that was set up a repay.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, my Reverend Degree ain't coming to mail yet.
Speaker 4: I wanted and right now answer, but I wanted en route to drop one of a seed that I don't want missed in the legacy of what Bacari shared about Revend Jackson's dad, I wanted to add what is often ignored in history is Reverend Jackson was introduced to doctor King through doctor Samuel DeWitt Proctor, who was his college professor so it was an HBCU instructor sent a letter to doctor King that says, I have a young man who's a student who needs to study under you. Had that HBCU professor not seeing something in him and connected him to the most seminal voice of the time, then I don't know what the outcome would have been. And so I wanted to give a shout out to HBCUs and HBCU professors who are really pulling out the best in our students. I think it's serendipitous that we're having this conversation en route to the midterm elections, and so Megah Evers gave us the blueprint voter education, voter registration, get out the vote. There is so much on the line, There is so much at stake, and I know all of us hear it in our sleep. Your vote is your voice, and so ask that you would please become involved in get engaged. I would say from the Black Church lens, I hope that the Black Church will take a page from white evangelicals, and the page that we should take from white evangelicals is find out what are our principles in our policies and then find the personality a lot of times in the black culture, we look for a personality without having what are our policies? There is so much on the line this election cycle that we've got to find out what are our policies, what is the ask, and then do the drive behind that.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 3: What I was going to what I was going to say is, you know down south we have this saying and sometimes Rev when I speak around the country, around the world, you know how you say things sometimes and you expect the response from the audience and it's just crickets response. Yeah, like dog on that I'm in the wrong in the wrong part of the country for this, but we are. We say, give give people their flowers while they're living, you know. We follow that up with an a man and the crowd usually says amen, right, and uh. I think the Reverend Jackson's death shows us something that we don't necessarily want to come to grips with, which is that our heroes are dying and so right now, while we still have the Jim Clyburns, the Maxine Waters of the world, while we have a lot of these bishops and ministers and bankers and people who come from a generation that have seen so much and toiled in the proverbial vineyard. It's necessary we give people their flowers while they're living. And also if we're younger than they are, like Angela Rai and her dad, make sure we're writing for them and getting their stories and spending time with them. And I'm doing the same thing with Cleeve. It's hard to try to get them to write, but those things are so necessary. And today in particular, I know we're not supposed to necessarily give a date or a time, but on Wednesday, February eighteenth is Willie Rix's birthday. I don't know how many of you all know Willie Rix. Mukasa. Mukasa used to walk through the campus of Morehouse all the time. But Mukassa was a young member of Snick and he loved Loved Love Jesse, and he loved Doctor King and he used to get on people's nerves all the time in the movement, and Doctor King ended up. He would always give Mukassa his old clothes and so he would always have these suits and dress shoes. They were a little too big for him, but he was one of the smaller members. There's a picture of my dad in Mucassa and Harry Belafonte and Sidney Pardier at Rikers Island after they got arrested for protesting the South African Embassy in New York and Mucassa's birthdays today. One of his claim the fame, although it gets stolen from him throughout history, is that he was with Stokely Carmichael in Mississippi when they came up with the phrase black power. And for them, black power was not saying that we were going to throw cocktails through the windows of white folk, but black power for them, and I've heard Reverend Bryant talk about this all the time, was black economic power, it was black political power. Black power for them meant that we had a position of self fulfillment. And so happy birthday to Willie Rix, also known as Mucassa, one of the little known members of the movement. But you are a big part of the Seller's family and Seller's household, and you are a big part of our history.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll ask Nick if he could throw up those images of Reverend Jackson with the students with black power held up and maybe him doing a little teaching. But I want to make that my CTA, which is which is to say that, you know, we oftentimes pass judgment on people and and come up in our own heads with our own stories that we tell ourselves about the people. And I'm seeking very specifically about leaders. This was the Yeah. This was again Philip.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: These are the dream Defenders and the early orientation of that group. This is at the thirty one days of sleeping on the coal marble floors of the Florida Capital and emerging being walked out of that building with with with with rev and Jesse Jackson. But when he said, uh, I am somebody, I don't know that I fully encompassed. I didn't. I didn't connect the the truth of that mantra as I was repeating it right after him. But that's a it is a powerful declaration. It's a powerful self declaration. It's a powerful community declaration. And he said it the way he said it because he felt it with his whole heart, with his whole being, and he was ministering as much to himself as he was to to those who were on the listening side. I just asked us to think, will you know, be real thoughtful about the words that we speak if we want them to have a meaning, But that phrase has taken on new resonance for me today as we talked about the Rev. I am somebody. It is my self declar but it's also a declaration for our community and the people who we love and care about, especially in this time. We're being pushed left and right and the compass isn't clear. But we are somebody, and I think that helps to make the future and what we have to do much clearer.
Speaker 1: I invite folks to go back and listen to Reverend Jackson's nineteen seventy two Nation Time speech from the National Black Political Convention. Why I think that we have to figure out where we are as a people, strengthen our foundation to ensure that we do progress, that we do move forward, that we do embody the fullness of our power.
Speaker 2: I am somebodyness.
Speaker 1: And once you do that, I asked that you tap back in with our dear brother, Reverend Doctor Jamal Bryant. There is a target boycott going on. We have to remember our power even in moments like these. The discipline that Reverend exercised in so many movements are why doors got opened for black business executiatives, blackboard members, black vendors and contractors, all of that, and we cannot ensure our progress in this country, especially in these times, without that type of extraordinary discipline.
Speaker 2: So I invite you all to do exactly that. Thank you all so.
Speaker 5: Much, Thank you Bishop for coming.
Speaker 2: Thank you, We're so very grateful for you. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I wanted to say in closing, thank you all for having me. Glad to be a part of the family reunion. And strategically I wanted you to know what this day means to me because this marks the three hundred and eighty one days, the same amount as the Montgomery bus boycott. So to be able to come and to reflect on repend Jackson, and to do it on homeland, I can't think of a better place.
Speaker 10: I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that well. Please keep us in and keep us in your prayers.
Speaker 4: Please welcome, no, thank you, We'll do home.
Speaker 2: As always.
Speaker 1: We want to remind everyone to leave us a review you and subscribe to Native lampod We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent choice media networks, Politics with Jamail Hill, Off The Cup with s C. Cup, and Now You know with Noah David Raisso be sure to give those a follow, and don't forget to follow us as well on social media and subscribe to our text or email list on Native lampod dot com. We are Angela Raie Andrew Gillen Bacari sellers with Reverend doctor Jamal Bryant. Welcome home, y'all. There are two hundred and sixty three days until midterm elections. Please remember, I am somebody, really on the stop.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 20: I am some box.
Speaker 7: Some bots may be cool, but I am some bots. I may be young, but I am some box. I may be on we fact, but I am somebodys. I may be small, but I am somebodies.
Speaker 4: I may make a mistake, but.
Speaker 7: I am somebody's. My clothes are different, my face is different, my hair is different.
Speaker 20: But I am somebody. I am black, brown, white. I speak a different language. But I must be respected, protected, never rejected. I am God's child. I am somebody.
Speaker 3: Give yourself a big hand.
Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,