Speaker 1: This week on a Happy half Hour, he was getting better.
Speaker 2: The progress was steadily going in one direction, but the increments were very small.
Speaker 1: Sunday he took a huge jump.
Speaker 2: The game he played in Germany compared to the game he played here on Sunday, it was two different sports. I mean it was yeah, you know, Trevon Wallace said it. That was Alabama Price.
Speaker 1: What's the cow?
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Happy Half Hour, presented by Southern Star, an official bourbon of the Carolina Panthers. Here are your hosts, Darren Gant and Cassidy Hill.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends, Welcome to this week's Happy Half Hour. I gotta tell you missed the show. Within the show, we might have to have podcasts. Matt Splice in the director's cut with the bonus footage.
Speaker 3: I don't like this. It's making fun of me.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we'll treat this like a Burt Reynolds Dom Delawi's movie The boot Blooper reel. At the end, we got you know, they're they're just things. Cassidy, bless her heart, does not know yet. It's not our fault.
Speaker 1: She's just young.
Speaker 2: So anyway, this is the Happy Half Hour presented to you by Southern Star, an official bourbon partner of the Carolina Panthers. Celebrate the spirit of the Carolinas and my friends, we almost all.
Speaker 1: Of those people in the stadium the other day.
Speaker 2: All most had something big to celebrate, didn't they.
Speaker 3: When when they kept getting a chance for another for a two point conversion and it got moved up to the one yard line, I looked at I looked at the guy sitting next to me, and I was like, this is are we about to win this game? But alast you forget Patrick Mahomes is on the other side and he does Patrick Mahomes things. But what a game? What a great football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just an.
Speaker 3: Entertaining, well played game from beginning to end.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And I was joking, We're half joking last week when I said this, and I mentioned this as Oki in the pregame show, I said, you just got to kind of unburden yourself of expectations, so you kind of go in and you don't know, I mean, there was no empirical reason for that game to turn out the way that game turned out. Kanas City Chiefs from nine to one. They got Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid in the top five defense. Carolina Panthers were three and seven and struggled to beat Saints and the Giants the last two weeks. That one shouldn't have gone the way it went. But the amazing thing about that is, and this that game contained multitudes because the easiest thing to do and the easiest thing for Dave Canalis and Bryce s Young to grab hold of would be dang, we almost.
Speaker 1: Did that, right.
Speaker 2: That was awesome and we almost did that awesome thing. But the reaction from those guys was we got to get that one in the future, and both of them in the aftermath of the game, that was kind of the consistent message of if anybody was thinking about moral victory, they were heading that off fit the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I believe it was Ikey who said yesterday when we were talking to him on Monday, you know, we all play in the same NFL like, we've got to win that and that's just a good reminder and that's what we're here for to kind of to dap up and say, hey, let's look at the good parts and this and that and the other. But in that locker room that you know, throw the record out the window. We're all in the same NFL. We're all one of thirty two teams, right, we should be able to go out there and finish that off, right, But there is still something to be said about going toe to toe with the defending Super Bowl champs. Two time MVP, like you said, a top five defense, and I think a lot of what went well on Sunday, you know, players told us that Bryce Shong gave a speech after the game, which is which is not all that common, so it kind of stood out just that he did that. And jac Horn said that Bryce said, this wasn't a fluke, this is who we are and we can win these games, and that he was right, Like it wasn't like, oh, they just had some weird things break their way to keep that game close. They played their way into keeping that game close. And a lot of what went well were things that you have seen them building on to this point and trying to address and working on and getting better at the things that didn't go well, or the things that they've been pretty open about need to get better. And you know, it's you kind of saw a clear line of demarcation the other day, like these are the things we're doing well. Keep building on that these are the things that we need to bring along to kind of get us over the hump to win those sort of games.
Speaker 1: Right, And that's one of the things.
Speaker 2: And I've been thinking about this a lot in the last couple of days because overthinking things is the.
Speaker 1: Thing I do.
Speaker 2: Wow, the Carolina Panthers did things that they hadn't been doing. I think that was to me when we look back at that game a year from now, if the situation is very different with this team, if this team's something other than three and eight going into the last six games of the season, I think we're going to look back.
Speaker 1: On that game.
Speaker 2: Is normally for the Carolina Panthers to have a chance to win that game, Chewba Hubbard's got to run for one twenty five or one fifty. The defense has got to get a bunch of stops beyond what you think they're going to do, and they've got to, you know, kind of bottle things up a little bit, keep Patrick Mahomes in.
Speaker 1: Front of them. They did things that were out of character.
Speaker 2: Bryce Young was throwing passes that we haven't seen him throw, or at least haven't seen him complete all season. Chewba Hubbard was not a factor until middle of the third quarter.
Speaker 1: In on, which I mean the Chiefs sold out to stop the run.
Speaker 2: And listen, if I was game planning to play Dave Canalison and Carolina Panthers, that's exactly where I would begin to because that's the thing most likely to give me trouble. Juba wasn't a factor until he was. The defense was getting strafed early on. They allow the Chiefs score five straight possessions. Granted two of those were field goals, and that was huge because anytime you get a red zone stop on Patrick Mahomes, that's a win. Anytime you make you know whoever kick, whether it's Harrison Butcker when he's healthier, Spencer Trader the other day, if Spencer Trader's on the field instead of Patrick Mahomes, that's a w for your defense. And that defense got stops in the fourth quarter. Yeah, they sacked Patrick Mahomes five times. This team had twelve sacks and ten games.
Speaker 1: That's not what they do.
Speaker 2: And to me, that's the biggest sign of progress is Bryce Young did things Bryce Young hadn't done. That defense did things that defense hadn't done. And if you're looking for a path forward, for the Carolina Panthers. Those are the two areas to me where you see the most hope for the future.
Speaker 3: And of course we talk all the time too about complimentary football. That's what the offense the defense did, and that's what the offense did within itself as well. Oh, they were able to run you, but more in the second half because the Chiefs had to start dropping back and protecting the past more because of what Bryce did in the right And we've seen him slowly ever since he came back after the benching, we've seen him start to be more confident with those throws. You know, he had a couple of throws in Denver where it was like, oh, okay, he uncorked that and just you know, he and the receiver weren't on the same page, or sometimes they were, and you know, but it didn't end up making a difference. At the end of the day. We've seen him steadily get more and more confident, which is what they wanted. And they also wanted him to get the ball out quicker and buddy, did he do that on Sunday. He was blitzed more on Sunday than he ever has been in a game in his career. He was blitched forty percent of his dropbacks. That's an insane number. And all he did was go eleven to fourteen for I think one hundred and twenty plus yards in a touchdown against the Blitz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was the thing.
Speaker 2: And I keep going back to with Bryce over the last month and again part of you know, I've been standing here in one place doing this thing for thirty years, and they all sort of start to blend together. But I think it's worth kind of stepping back and looking at things from a wider lens.
Speaker 1: Every now and then, if.
Speaker 2: Andy Dalton doesn't get hit by a car on a Tuesday before we go to Denver, none of this happens. There was no indication that anything other than Andy Dalton playing out the season was going to be what happened for the Carolina Panthers. So if not for a traffic accident on a Tuesday, Bryce doesn't get back on the field, and since then the progress And you can't see this, but this go theater of the mind with me. I'm holding my fingers just a little bit apart, like a finger's with a part. Bryshung was getting better that much at a time. The first three weeks, when you go Denver, New Orleans the Giants.
Speaker 1: He was getting better.
Speaker 2: The progress was steadily going in one direction, but the increments were very small.
Speaker 1: Sunday he took a huge jump.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it's just the game he played in Germany compared to the game he played here on Sunday, it was two different sports. I mean, it was this, you know, Trevon Wallace said it. That was Alabama Bryce. We've seen that that was the guy who was dealing confidently, and he really was, I mean, standing in the face of that pressure making some of those throws. I mean when they go zero and everybody's coming and he hits lega for the first down, It's like.
Speaker 3: Whoof Yeah. I think that was maybe the most impressive part. And I think we also just asn't decide to have to maybe give some credits to the fact that being able to sit back and catch his breath for those five weeks that Andy did play probably worked. Wonders just being able to focus purely on the game book, the playbook and practice without necessarily having to I don't want to say worry about the game, but because he was still prepared, you never know what Obviously, you never know what's going to happen and when you have to step in. But being able to focus on what he needed to do, I think took a lot of weight off his shoulders and now we're seeing play more free year because of it. But to your point, I mean, you look at, for example, that Green Bay game last year where he technically had his best statistical game, right that he still had more yards in that game than he did on Sunday.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: But that was a lot of running for his life and dumping it off and and had the advantage of playing against a defense that wasn't there to cover things.
Speaker 1: What a what a wonderful way of saying that.
Speaker 2: Something came up the other day and somebody said, that's a real rider way to explain that. And I think that's another example of that. You described the Packers defense accurately. There they weren't there to cover things.
Speaker 3: But then you see on Sunday, I mean he had a conversion to Adam Thingland. I think it was a third or fourth down conversion. I mean the guy was draped on him. He got a PI call as well a DPI call, but that ball was perfectly placed to Thielen, and he was not scared to kind of put it over there and let his guy make a catch. He had a play to get down the right sideline at one point that was not the one that got dropped, But this one was a conversion as well. It got him down close to the red zone and he threw that ball. He never left the pocket and there was a blitz coming. He knew it was coming, he saw it. He never left the pocket. He stood in there. He delivered that ball as he took a massive hit. I don't know if he makes those plays a year ago. I don't know if he makes those plays two months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's fair to ask. And again I try to take the longer view of these things. Playing quarterback in the NFL is really hard. There's a reason Andy Dalton's good at it. He's done it for a long long time. Bryce has done it for a very short amount of time. And because we have this tin and now in our modern culture, to every day is a referendum on forever, and so whatever it is right now is the thing everybody assumes it has to be. And after the way last year when everybody assumed Bryce is always going to be bad at football.
Speaker 1: Everybody assumed that CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud's always going to be great at football. Early this year, Caleb Williams has four or five good games and they're like, oh my god, look at Caleb Williams. Now, you know, there's this thing called regression to the mean and people start to it takes time for people to become what they are, and I think Bryce is still very much in the evolution of his own game. And I also don't want to get caught in the trap of assuming Bryce is always going to look like this. In anybody's season, there high points, low points. That's why I like averages, and I just want to see what it looks like six weeks from now, built on this. I want to see how he takes this and turns it into the next six weeks of the season, because that was it. One of the other big takeaways is Dave Canalis has always been one week at a time, and ask me again on Wednesday, who's going to start Sunday. He was like, I don't need to say anything. Bryce told you everything you needed to see out there today. I mean, and Dave just you know, it's reached the point where you just kind of shrugged and it was like, well, yeah, he's starting.
Speaker 1: Of course, did you see the game he just played.
Speaker 2: So now it's on Bryce to see how he can build on it, to see what's next for him, because we're getting back to the brice a lot of people were expecting a year and a half ago when he was drafted based on everything we had seen in Alabama, because again, as Trevon Waller said, that was Alabama.
Speaker 3: Bryce, right now that he has seen himself do it too, very curious what Sunday looks like because this Tampa Bay defense, the secondary figuring out the right way to put this. Okay, let's just use the numbers this The Tampa Bay secondary is twenty eighth in the league overall. Now that Bryce has kind of seen what he can do, and that's not to say he's going to go out there and light him up and toward the place, but it is can he take another step forward right now that he has seen the tape and he and his receivers are getting closer on the same page in chemistry because some of those incompletions on Sunday too were drops.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Xavierally Get told us yesterday that when he went home Sunday night and kind of watched the film. He ended up texting Bryce about that play that was down the left side line and apologize and he's like, you put it in the perfect spot. I should have caught that, Like that was on me.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: And one of the things against the Bucks, I mean, you mentioned are they at top five defense?
Speaker 1: They are not.
Speaker 3: They're a bottom five defense.
Speaker 2: Is Todd Bowles really good at coaching ball?
Speaker 1: He absolutely is.
Speaker 2: And Todd's one of those coaches who is great at coaching any one particular game. I just love the way I love his approach to it. I think he is one of those coaches who is good for long stretches of time. If you want to raise the level of your organization, Todd Bowles is the kind of coach you want to have around he is. He is so good defensively. He can turn the screws on you in one particular week and make anybody look see Canalis. Yep, he certainly does that. So it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: But I think that you know you're gonna hear it.
Speaker 2: And it started to creep in a little bit, in the little bit that people were allowing themselves to think positively about that game that that unfolded. You know, somebody with I think it was Rob Hunt, said hey, we're three and eight, we got stuff to play for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which, mathematically.
Speaker 2: Yes, congratulations, you're in the still in the Hunt graphic because you haven't been eliminated and you have the good fortune of playing in the NFC South, the trailer park of the NFL. Uh.
Speaker 1: I've said it all the time.
Speaker 2: Every trailer park gets haveing hoa, somebody's got to be the president. So uh, it's still right there in front of you. There are three games out of the division league with six to play, and I've seen weirder things happen.
Speaker 1: In this you know, yess of a division.
Speaker 3: So way division games to play too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, anything can happen. But I think, to me, I tend to look at this as what is this doing to set this team up for next year? And I think being in a game like Sundays, seeing how close how far away they are from how close they need to be because there's still a lot of stuff going wrong. They you know, coaches love winning games where they've got object lessons to show people in concrete things. They lost that game, but all Dave Canal's got to do. Say, Hey, you want to beat the Chiefs, be better in the red zone, you want to beat the Chiefs, get off field on third down. He's got those very tangible teaching points to lean on coming out of this game, and I think that's going to serve these guys well, because these guys have started to figure something out. This reminds me so much of two thousand and two when John Fox came in first as a head coach. They won their first three games based on a defense that was hard from day one. I mean, you walked into a group with Dan Morgan, Chris Jenkins, Julius Peppers, and it's like, oh, they're pretty good. And then they went through a long stretch and eight game losing streak in the middle of the season where they couldn't score a point, couldn't do anything right. And then at the end of the year you saw that turn. They go up to Cleveland, they win an ugly game in Cleveland and win like whatever it happened to be for their last five I think it was finish seven and nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turned a three and eight into a seven and nine. So for the last.
Speaker 2: Five and they started to find out a personality, and we all know what happened. The next year, they got on a run, went to the Super Bowl, which at dilom a quarterback. I don't know that they're necessarily anticipating a quarterback change right now, but this team is starting to figure out a personality. And if Bryce being confident in making throws like he made Sunday as part of that personality, there is definitely some stuff to build on for them.
Speaker 3: On that note, can we talk about the defense for equipment we should how much stock do you put in I don't want to say like a game changer, but one guy being a lynch pin.
Speaker 2: You're talking about DJ Watts, Yes, yeah, I mean, And that's the thing in a three to four defense, at outside linebacker position is the most important position on the field. And if you've got a guy like Jadavian Clowney out there run around by himself, there ain't so much he can do. You put a guy on the other side, and that's that force multiplayer. It's the guy who makes everything else work a little better around him.
Speaker 1: And I just I do I look at this team.
Speaker 2: I mean, when the Carolina Panthers going to the offseason We've got a lot of time to talk about offseason stuff, but I think one of the keys is going to be adding dudes on defense, people who chase quarterbacks around in the front seven specifically, is going to be one of Dan Morgan's focuses this offseason. But DJ Wadham's done a job in a couple of weeks. He's got a sack in each game, and he frees things up on the other side. And you've seen a more active Clowney. You've seen you know, Ashawn Robinson continuing to do the work. I mean, my guysh that guy he left the game, came out. Uh, he was clearly hurt. I saw him leading the stadium with a cast on his hand.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens this week. But you know, football players call cats like that war daddies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he is one.
Speaker 2: He's he's that old head who is going to go no matter what, and again to a lesser degree of what's happening on the other side of the ball. But you can kind of see that path forward. You put Deareck Brown on the field next day, Shawn Robbinson next year, You add another couple pass rushers, you fortify some other areas of that defense. See, you know, Trevin will be a year better next year.
Speaker 1: You can sort of see where this group's going to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and listen, do they need more dudes and more time they do? Uh? Do they need this defensive coaching staff come back another year smarter about these pieces. They've gotten the pieces they need. Yep, that helps too.
Speaker 1: But I'm not saying there there yet.
Speaker 2: But they are in that spot that the two Panthers were in coming out of Cleveland in December, where it's like, all right, we're not there, but I can at least see the map.
Speaker 3: So it's exciting.
Speaker 1: It was good stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just and I joked about this the other week in the mail bag, the Panthers have kind of escaped the oh my god, is it over part of the league. I mean that, you know, Sunday's result against Washington notwithstanding, Dallas is ready to curl up and for this thing to be over. Other teams in the league have reached that point where they're only thinking about draft position and how do we extract ourselves from this mess. The Carolina Panthers suddenly have got stuff to play for, even if it's you know, twenty twenty five stuff.
Speaker 1: And that's cool. It's different.
Speaker 2: It's not something that we've experienced the last couple of years around here.
Speaker 3: Right. It's like like I said a minute ago, you can see kind of what Dan Morgan's vision is and makes you excited to see what they can do this off season two and where they can take it next year.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so I guess you could. I guess you could say they have a lot to be.
Speaker 3: Thanks they have a lot to be thankful.
Speaker 2: And there's our segue. It's Thanksgiving Week, everybody, and I hope it.
Speaker 3: Is your favorite Thanksgiving side.
Speaker 1: My favorite Thanksgiving side is a correct answer. Well, I I.
Speaker 2: Celebrate the entire catalog of Thanksgiving. It's my absolute favorite holiday. I hate Halloween. I got no business with it. I don't care for the people who go straight to Christmas after Halloween.
Speaker 3: Wow, shots fired.
Speaker 1: I want a month of gratitude. It's kind of my thing.
Speaker 2: I you know, get your people around you, eat a bunch of food, do things that make you happy, help other people as you can. That's kind of my aesthetic at this point in my life. So I just love everything about Thanksgiving. I love green bean casserole. I love those sausage and cheese biscuits my mom makes out of three ingredients biscuit, sausage, cheese that we eat before we eat.
Speaker 3: Does she make them as biscuits or as.
Speaker 2: Balls balls but smaller than a golf ball so you can eat a whole bunch.
Speaker 3: Of them breakfast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I mean I love everything about it. My sister in law makes this weird wild rice thing with cream of something, soup and green peppers in it. Uh, it's great, the whole thing. I mean, I I just love mostly I like having my people around me. I mean that's the key. But I dig and I think it's a perfect compliment to everything else on the table. Cranberry sauce out the can, because it even gives you lines so you know how to cut it. I mean, everything's right there for you. They've even given you instructions with this food product.
Speaker 1: So it don't look like much.
Speaker 2: But I think it's perfect because it's got that sweet tart compliment to all this savory deliciousness that hits your plate.
Speaker 3: Right. I do love cranberry sauce. I had grew up eating it out of a can, and then I spent about ten years while working as a sports reporter, I also worked at a bed and breakfast in Gainesville, Florida, and nothing came out of that kitchen that wasn't homemade. And once you've made homemade cranberry sauce for about seven or eight years and you've tasted that, it's hard to have anything else here.
Speaker 1: You and I had that, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: But I just like there is something solid and stable and predictable about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I like certainty this time of year.
Speaker 2: So if I I know, I can open that, can hear that come out on one end, cut it along those lines, and I know exactly what I'm gonna get.
Speaker 3: The correct answer though, was sweet potato casserole.
Speaker 2: That sure great, love it, love sweet potatoes. Here's the key to Thanksgiving. Get around your people, eat food that you enjoy in a responsible amount.
Speaker 1: Perhaps commit some physical activity.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the days so you can do it without compulsion, but mostly just don't steal the land of indigenous peoples and enslave them. If you can pull that off on Thanksgiving, I think that's the key.
Speaker 3: That's all you can ask for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my moment of political activism for Thanksgiving. Actually no, it's not, because I gave you the assignment of all assignments this week, but you got to experience Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie in all its eighteen and a half minute glory.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is like I when you said that song, I had no idea what you're talking about. And then and then it was playing. I was listening to it in the car and it got to the first little you can Have Anything you Want at Alice's rest and I was like, I know this song. I at least know that riff. It's either been used in commercials or movies or something, and so I knew that little riff. It was definitely entertaining. It's not one that I would listen to over. I'm a big If I find a song I like, I'll listen to it seven times in a row in the car. Yeah, that's one that I'm obviously probably not gonna do that with just because who has that kind of time. But it made time fors rivee around. I gotta get a full tank of gas and then drive around and listen to it seven times. But it was definitely entertaining. I liked the story. I liked how it really took us on a ride and then came back to the beginning. It could have been half the time if he didn't repeat everything seventeen times.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was fun.
Speaker 3: That was part of the fun.
Speaker 2: You're you're starting to get a window into my soul here, because if you listen to that song carefully, there are lines in that song that have become part of.
Speaker 1: The Darren Gamp vernacular.
Speaker 2: Okay, when he talks about how Officerobi, you know, there were a couple of things that could have happened. He could have brought him down to the station and given him a medal and thanked him for how brave and honest they were. And he says, but that wasn't very likely and we didn't expect it.
Speaker 1: That's a thing that just.
Speaker 2: Now falls out of my mouth when I'm talking about things. You know, something will happen about football, and I'll say it wasn't very likely and we didn't expect it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, know, there are things about it. I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a protest song. It's about ending the draft. It's about that. Yeah, I mean that's the whole thing. It's a Vietnam protest song he.
Speaker 3: Definitely went to he tried to enlist.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't try to enlist. He was he was drafted.
Speaker 2: That's why he went to Whitehall Street to get inspected, detected.
Speaker 1: And see what I thought?
Speaker 3: That was a volunteer.
Speaker 2: This was this was all context. He was trying to get out of the draft. And and the point of the song is how ridiculous is it that I am not moral enough to go burn women and children's villages down in Vietnam after littering in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: So he was saying, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now you got to go back and it again. I have sentenced you to another drive. So by the way, you had me listening to Kristin.
Speaker 3: Chinawell, Oh yeah, I forgot what I gave you.
Speaker 1: I find delightful. By the way, you're so fun.
Speaker 2: You might not peg me as a show tunes kind kind of guy, but I like a show tune every now and then. And she she is amazing to me. She's like the Steve Smith of singers. It's hard to believe anything that big comes out of something that little. She has got a gigantic voice. She's an incredible performer. And Taylor the Latte Boy is a cute little song. Uh fun, Yeah, it was fun. It was nice and while I got down one of the things happens to me when I tend to listen to a lot of music on YouTube, and so it gives you the next thing. Yea, and there is I saw a response to this from the perspective of Taylor the Latte Boy, and it was basically, get this crazy woman away from me, I need a restraining order, which I find cool because it flipped that story on its head.
Speaker 3: That's a fun one. And the first guy that ever did it, he was a comedian. He did it as part of his stand up and he put on a Starbucks apron to do it. So, yeah, it was it was cute. So but I sing that song to myself a lot when I go in Starbucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. What what you got for me this week? What am I listening to on my Thanksgiving break?
Speaker 3: Question Mark, We're gonna just do it. I've been holding this one. I've been thinking about it, and I've been slightly hesitant because up what you're gonna say. But we're about to get into a very happy time of the year, So let's just get this last sad one out. Of the way, oh boy, because you need to do it. This was listed as Rolling Stones. Rolling Stone said this will be one of the top one hundred songs of all time when it's all said and done. Your good friend Rob Demoski laughed at me when I said that, and then he went and listened to the song, and he came to me the next day and said, you were right. I said, okay, all right, what you got all too well? Mm hmm. Taylor's version ten minute version ten minutes.
Speaker 2: See, this is payback for making you listen Alice's Restaurant. Now you got to listen to it again, now that you know what it's actually about.
Speaker 3: That you have to make sure you're listening to the ten minute version.
Speaker 2: All right, fair enough, Well, since you since you're doing that, it's Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: There are things.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of cultural signifiers for me when I get to Thanksgiving week. Number one is I'm gonna listen to Alice's Restaurant seven or eight times in my car, even if I have to drive around extra to do it.
Speaker 1: I used to torment the kids.
Speaker 2: I'd say, give me the ax cord, I only want to hear one song, and I'd listen to that, and they would squall, so I'd listen to it again. Maybe that's why they don't ride around with me. But the other one that it's just a staple of this week for.
Speaker 1: Me is the Last Waltz.
Speaker 2: The band is the greatest American band, even though only one member of the band was American.
Speaker 1: That would be over ter the band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the band. Levon Hilm was the drummer in the cornerstone of the band. It's the greatest American band, even though everybody other than Levine in the band was Canadian. Their last show was captured by Martin Scorsese for the movie The Last Waltz.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: They brought in an all star cast of all their friends. Eric Clapton was there, Bob Dylan was there, Neil Young, Johnny Mitchell, a star studded cast was there. But the Last Waltz is The concert itself was on Thanksgiving Night at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco in nineteen seventy six, So I just have always associated the Last Waltz with Thanksgiving Friday Night. Here's a PSA Friday Night at the Visualite Theater. Here in Lovely Elizabeth Josh Daniel and friends do an annual Last Waltz tribute show that me and my smart friend Kelly's smart friend Anne and some other friends will be in attendance for it's a great time. And coming down the stretch of that show. Coming down the stretch of the movie, two of the last three songs You're Gonna Hear are Forever Young by Bob Dylan. That song under that name's been recorded by a lot of different people, different songs, but the Bob Dylan Forever Young with the band from the Last Waltz. Look it up on the youtubes. And then they closed the show with I Shall Be Released. And when you think about the band and the scope of their career, what Robbie Robertson and Levon Hilm were able to do together as musicians along with an incredible band, I mean I could go on and on all day about Garth Hudson and Rich Danko and the boys, and it was just an incredible band. And to see it all come together in that way, captured in the way Martin Scorsese captured it was just moving. For lack of a better word, I associate it with Thanksgiving and all good things. So I am a complete sucker. It's a miracle. I don't start crying every week every year during Thanksgiving because I love it that much. I mean, I just think that's the holiday. These are the people we're supposed to be in life, so let's go be it.
Speaker 3: You know what My favorite part of our Thanksgiving is tell me watching the old w KRP Turkey Drop video.
Speaker 2: Because God is my witness. I thought turkeys could fly.
Speaker 3: Me and my dad and my uncles, we are the only ones in our family that find it funny. My cousins think we're ridiculous, but it is. And my dad and his brother can quote the entire thing from beginning to end, and they do every year around this time. My dad from the ground like sacks of the not since the Hindenburgh tragedy is my dad will call me on Thanksgiving Day to recite it to me, and then he'll hang up the phone.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I love that about the Hill family. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: So she knows WKRP a sitcom from the seventies.
Speaker 1: I know that scene, and yet she doesn't know this.
Speaker 2: We'll play you out with with podcast Matt, going back to the clips from the beginning of the show, the blooper reel of things Cassidy Hill does not know.
Speaker 1: La la la la, la la la. Hello on my baby, Honey?
Speaker 3: Is that a hooter song? O?
Speaker 2: That's Michigan Jay Frogg from Looney Tunes. Wait a minute, you don't. We almost have to leave that in at the top of the show. It's, uh, what are we doing, Cassidy sweet.
Speaker 3: Art, are you even recording? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's great, we'll drop that in bonus cuts, the director's cut of The Happy Half Hour. Oh boy, On that note, have a great Thanksgiving. Everybody, Go be around your people, help where you can. We'll see you next week on The Happy half Hour.