Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm Jacob Schick and I'm joined by my co host and wife, Ashley Shake.
Speaker 3: Jake is a third generation combat Marine and I'm a gold Star granddaughter, and we work together to serve military veterans, first responders, frontline healthcare workers, and their families with mental and emotional wellness through traditional and non traditional therapy.
Speaker 4: At One Tribe Foundation, we.
Speaker 2: Believe everyone has a steared itself, not only about the peaks, but also the valleys they've.
Speaker 1: Been through to get them to where they are today.
Speaker 3: Each week, we invite a guest to tell us their story, to share with us the lessons they've learned that shaped who they are and what they're doing to pay it forward and give back.
Speaker 2: Our mission with this show is to dig deep into our guest's journey so that we can celebrate the hope and inspiration their story has to offer.
Speaker 3: We are thrilled you're joining us again.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 2: Our guest today is our dear friend, mentor Dan Tinker. He's the CEO of SRS Distribution, one of the largest roofing companies in the world, and is at a founding member of Raise the Roof foundation we met years ago. He came on as a board member to help scale One Track Foundation to accomplish bigger and better goals, and through his leadership, we have been able to achieve this.
Speaker 3: The Tinkers are truly relationship and family goals for us, and he's here today to tell us the story of how his life and path from a wayward college student changed in an instant when he met his wife of thirty years, and how he spent decades stepping up to the challenges and opportunities in front of him to make his life, family, his company, and the world a better place.
Speaker 2: We're so proud to bring this conversation to you because this man is someone that I truly look up to and I value our relationship greatly because not only does he help me grow as a leader in business or nonprofit, but as a human being, as a father, as a husband. He's not only a successful businessman and Audrey, they don't only lead by example, they live by example, right And the fact that he's always been there for me When I've asked him for something, for someone or for a family, He's never hesitated to step up. He takes my call, he listens to my why, and he makes it happen every single time.
Speaker 3: Definitely one of the most generous philanthroprists we know, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Dan Tinker, my brother, Dan Tinker, Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me honor to be here.
Speaker 3: I know it's our first season and so we've had a lot of first but as a lifelong Texas Longhorn, I have to point out we have our first Aggie on the show today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is from the colt that love.
Speaker 5: It, love that call out.
Speaker 3: He's thirty seconds in and we've already got a woop. No Texas A and M University Grad. Proud Texas A and M University Grad. It's funny because every episode we always joke the good stuff.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of good stuff. You know. We go deep and then we came out and.
Speaker 3: We celebrate the successes of life and we talk God, and we talk a lot of football and a little bit of cussin. So there it is our football intro for this show. But honestly, I love the tradition at Texas A and M. I can say that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're recording.
Speaker 6: We are recording, and I think there's a lot more people to serve in the military from A and M than Texas and we have checked the facts on that, but I'm pretty sure with that big core programming former military school, so.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't join the Marine Corps to.
Speaker 2: Go to college, so maybe I'm just an.
Speaker 5: Exception of the rule.
Speaker 3: I had the privilege of going covering a game at Texas A and M and just being there at Kyle Field. It was unbelievable because Jake and I talk about it often. We respect tradition, whether it be looking at news over what's going on in England with a monarchy, or the military service here in the United States and ancestry, the Marine Corps, Daughters of the Republic of Texas, whatever it might be. We respect tradition, and A and M does it like none of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 6: I think the value system at that university really sets the tone, which resonated with both my wife, Audrey and I that.
Speaker 5: We were at the right place for us, no doubt.
Speaker 6: Just what that school stands for is something we were proud to be a part of it. We were not crazy like Aggie's, we were not raised in Aggie families, so we both ended up there kind of in weird routes that we were not like lifelong. We were definitely going to go to and M It was very much a last minute decision our senior year. So we were just so lucky to end up where we thrived, and we certainly are passionate about it now, but everybody there is either borderline fanatical or passionate about the university, and to me, that's the important part. You want to be around people that love where they're at and love what they're doing, and love who they stand for.
Speaker 3: And you have an incredible story. You and Audrey have an incredible story that we'll dig into, but first we want to talk about how we even got to know you. You and Jake have known each other for years, have a lot of great memories and fun times, and I knew.
Speaker 1: That'd make you lat Yeah, no, I mean and nothing bad.
Speaker 2: You know, Dan's only been a grea friend to me and like an older brother who's been a mentor. And I've learned so much from you. Obviously, you've come up through the ranks big time in the corporate world and you've earned what you've.
Speaker 1: Nothing's been given.
Speaker 2: I've learned a lot from you and when I was asking you to be on the board for one Tribe and I said, you're not leaving.
Speaker 1: This place, do you say yes? Because especially those are my drinking days, so I definitely meant it. But I've learned a lot.
Speaker 2: Aside from the fact you're a great dad and a very present father, very present, dedicated husband, you're a great example for not only me but everyone within the tribe.
Speaker 1: And it's just been a very humbling experience.
Speaker 2: And everyone can point to people that have really made an impact and made them better humans by default, and you know, you're one of those people. For me, and I know for Ash now and you and Audrey and the kids. It's nice to say that as small as our circles are, you're definitely in there.
Speaker 1: So you made the cut.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that now. I remember the day I'm at you a very vivid You were late, of course, and to our meeting at Castle Hills with Mike Brower, and when you enter a room, everybody knows it. But I knew I wanted to be a part of the tribe and twenty two kill. At the time, there was something missing in my life on the military veterans side. I mean certainly our company had given back. We've been doing a lot on hiring veterans, but I really felt like I still need to do more.
Speaker 5: And really it was resonating.
Speaker 6: Around this whole mental wellness and the need that when people talk about wounded vets, they think about, you know, flesh injuries. They don't think about the mental side ever. But you know, I'd argue many many veterans come back wounded physically, but almost all of them come back wounded mentally in some way, and we just don't do enough for them.
Speaker 5: So the cause was there right out of the gate.
Speaker 6: And then your personality, you're no nonsense and hit me right in the face, punch me in the face kind of with an attitude of like, hey, if you're going to do this, I need you all in and I don't know how to scale an organization like you do, and I need you for these things where you can add value. And that's really the main thing I leaned on to make the decision to join the was do I like the CEO?
Speaker 5: And can I add value?
Speaker 6: And once I said check, check, which was about again thirty seconds in, yeah, we were ready to roll.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been a tremendous asset to this foundation. And you know, because of your influence and because of your discipline, we felt a lot of people and most of which that will never ever personally meet, and that to me is one of the beautiful parts and aspects of this job.
Speaker 1: We just create force multipliers for their greater.
Speaker 3: Good And because of everything you just said, that's one of the reasons we said we've got to have Dan on the good stuff. You have achieved so much as a father and a husband, so family first, but then as a businessman, just great achievements, and then to take all of that and turn it around and really use that platform to contribute back. It's really beautiful everything that you and your entire team have been able to accomplish, and that's what the good stuff is all about. We feel so blessed to have you as a friend and a mentor. We wanted to share this goodness with our listeners. Right your story is one of great achievement in the business world. You've accomplished so much and then used it to help so many others.
Speaker 4: Today we want to hear.
Speaker 3: About the love story that's responsible for the man that we now admire.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it all starts with the motivation and what motivated me to do all of that and have the career I've had, And that really does go back to a pivotal moment in my life where I had just entered A and M as a freshman, and I was like every eighteen year old boy away from home at the first time.
Speaker 5: I was dumb, stupid. That's not hat was thinking. I was thinking I didn't need to go to class.
Speaker 6: I spent more time playing sand volleyball on my first semester than and I didn't even I don't even know where my classes half of them were. I somehow got through the semester with like a one point something GPA, and I somehow luckily at Christmas break intercepted the mail from A and M to my parents saying that I had been put on academic probation at Christmas break, so I was on the fast track to be back here at community college within probably four more months.
Speaker 5: Had I not met my wife.
Speaker 6: And started dating her two weeks later after I got back from Christmas break, So in many ways, she not only saved my life in some way, I say it that way and people say, well, that's overly dramatic, but it really is true. She certainly saved the life I have today.
Speaker 5: The life I have to day.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't have happened had I not met her, had the courage to take the risk to ask her out when everybody else wanted to and didn't.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is beautiful. It gives me goosebumps. But I'm not emotional yet. I usually cry.
Speaker 1: So what was the first meeting?
Speaker 2: Like, like, what was the I see her and I have to ask her out, especially before I get put on academic probation.
Speaker 6: I was fortunate enough that two of her high school classmates were in my dorm and on my hall, so when we started hanging out in groups. She was in a dorm close proximity to mind where we'd have common places with meals. One night, we'd have big groups of twelve, fifteen, twenty people that we'd beat together and go out at night and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So I remember I think being seen in her for the first time.
Speaker 6: She was actually playing in her mural soccer and she was out on the soccer field and one of my buddies said, Hey, that's that girl Audio I was telling you about.
Speaker 5: And I saw her, and I was like, I would love to marry that woman someday.
Speaker 6: And I had no game and nothing, you know, no reason to think that I had any shot, and.
Speaker 5: So I was totally cleoless.
Speaker 6: But I was like, you know, you have to have high aspirations. And she was dating he high school sweetheart the first semester, so it gave us a chance to get to know each other a little bit in a very non pressure situation because she had a boyfriend, so we were just becoming friends casually with a big group.
Speaker 5: So it was very easy for me to just get know her.
Speaker 6: And if once you're around her, do you understand her personality? And she's a beautiful person outside but way more so than out. She just has an infectious smile. She never met a stranger, very kind, very sweet. Luckily she broke up with her high school sweet couldn't get into and m thank god. I can't say I had anything to do with that, although looking back, I would have tried to get it back on out of that, but she came back and they had broken up, and I, honestly, I was just the first one that took the risk and had the courage to actually ask her on an individual date as opposed to just going out with our group, setting friends all together in a group. So she said yes, and I was like, holy crap, now what do I do? So again, I didn't have yeah front pressure. I didn't have a lot to offer at that time. You know, I'm pretty good at sand volleyball, but I'm not really going to class very often, and I'm not sure I'm gonna be here very long. And she thought I was full of shit too, because I talked about stories of my high school days with my buddies and how.
Speaker 5: Much beer we drank and all that. So she didn't come from that environment.
Speaker 6: She had a much better high school experience of doing the right thing and always busy and in athletics and academics, and so I don't think she drank alcohol till she got to college, where I think I drank more in high school than I did at A and M. So she thought all that was like, you know, me just making up stories. And then she met all my friends fro high school and she realized I wasn't longing butter On. But she she even says, I didn't think to people, you know, yeah, I kind of liked him, but I thought he was full of craft. But I think some days. She still says, I'm full of craft three years later. But anyway, so luckily we had our first date.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 6: We I picked her up at the dorm and we went out to dinner, went to a movie. Kept it very simple, but I you know, I knew. It was the first person I had never dated anybody in high school. Didn't really went anywhere, had any length to it. It was very much just all nothing serious. So I went into full court mode. I'm asking her out again. And then we were lucky to get together. I'd moved off campus for second semester. On campus, I was breaking too many rules. So we had a party at our house, and I remember that is the year the Cowboys won that first Super Bowl, ninety three January ninety three. So yeah, we had a party and she stayed over. And I was just so afraid that she'd meet some other guy that I started walking her to every class.
Speaker 1: And I said, I.
Speaker 5: Was so worried about her breaking up with me.
Speaker 6: I was like, well, if I spend every minute with her, she can't meet anybody better.
Speaker 5: So that's when I tried, and then I, well, shit, i'm on campus. After I drive up, I might as well go to my class that way.
Speaker 6: So I drop her off and I'd walk down the campus and say, where's that building I'm gonna going to? I should probably go in there, And overnight my grades went from like horrible to like almost straight a's the rest of my entire time. I finished second in my class and my major. Wow with that horrible start, And that's all because of her motivating me to say, you're way.
Speaker 5: Better than this. You can do way better things than if.
Speaker 6: Oh by the way, if you're gonna be with me, you're gonna be an all star, and you're gonna work your ass off and you're not gonna be lazy, and you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Go to class.
Speaker 6: She it was that important to me that I would have done anything to stay in school, do well, and impress her that I'm worthy of being her future husband.
Speaker 5: So it really was a game changer.
Speaker 3: That's an example of when fear can motivate for good. Right, and you're there at this crossroads, it's almost your tipping point of Okay, I better get off my butt and go apply myself. How do you feel like? She besides the fear unlock that in you, was it the tough love well.
Speaker 6: It was also just positive reinforce of saying, you know, she knew I was smart, and she knew I wasn't applying myself in and so she is good Catholic guilt. She used lots of different tools in her tool kit. But she's like, Hey, I'm going to go study for three hours in the library. Do you want to go with me? And of course the answer was going to be yes. So she modeled the behavior that she wanted me to do. I started going to mass with her, just living the life that I was actually proud of as opposed to just being kind of lost. I was lost before we started dating, and then she really just focused me on, like, you know, what are you going to be doing after college? Because that matters to me. We were having conversations right out of the get go of like what kind.
Speaker 5: Of man are you going to be when you grow up?
Speaker 6: And I was doing a lot of reflection and saying, well, I want to be somebody she's super proud of, which started and manifested with well, if I want to go out and have an awesome career and achieve great things and be able to do good things and.
Speaker 5: Help her give back to the world. And make the world a better place.
Speaker 6: I got to get in gear, and I got to get totally motivated, totally focused, and so it was really just about focus, motivation, and then unleashing what I had in me. But I just was wasting until she kind of showed me the light. And then I emulated her behavior of just really ruthlessly attacking studying and then going to mass and just grounding myself in the right things as opposed to just wanting to party or do other things that. You know, we still had a lot of fun, don't get me wrong with Yeah, we had a great college time and tons of fun.
Speaker 5: The whole way.
Speaker 3: Seems like she, from such a young age, had all of her ducks in a row, and she knew what she wanted, and she knew what she was looking for in a life partner. Where do you think that came from instead of her?
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 6: I always reflect that because her dad was a very successful businessman and a wonderful man, one of the kindest people you'd ever meet. She always told me, I don't want you to be a workaholic because my dad was, and we didn't get to spend enough time with them. So I was always on the fence of like, does she want me to be like her dad or not? I think underneath the surface level of that one comment, which I tried to balance all that I failed miserably throughout most of my career of not being a workaholic. But I try to be leave as much at work when I get home, try to be way more present to our kids than her dad maybe had the opportunity to be in his career. Once I exhibited those behaviors that were like her father of the work ethic and the career ambition, I'm going to lead to be a great provider and provide our family with a great life, and then allow us to give back to things that you're passionate about, Audrey, our church or whatever it is, We're going to have the means to do that. You're not going to be with some guy that we're hoping to, you know, just scrape by and always going to be struggling to keep a job or something like that. So it really I think it all came back for she was looking for what she knew, and I think most people do fall back on, you know, their family experience and what does good look like and certainly her dad was an amazing guy and great business person and just a kind soul.
Speaker 3: You know, it makes a lot of sense knowing Audrey now that that's where she came from.
Speaker 4: You know, Jay, can I talk about it.
Speaker 3: A lot, generational behavior, generational trauma specifically, you know, when we're talking about different things with one tribe going on, but how to break those generational curses in this situation, it's beautiful to see that there was a generational pattern that she got from her father.
Speaker 4: It's the opposite of what we typically talk about, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she obviously had a convicted example to follow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I stopped my whole drinking and drugging journey years ago, five.
Speaker 4: Over five years ago, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: It's like I tell as, I'm like, yeah, man, some days are harder than others because I don't know anyone that's living like this. I don't know a person in my life that is.
Speaker 1: Living the way I'm living.
Speaker 2: I can't see the next step. Wh's just kind of blind faith, just head down, keep going. But I had a lot of great examples about work ethic and it's good to see because it is there's both sides of the spectrum. You know, you have that generational trauma that does carry on and oftentimes in the form of self medicating, but you also have the generational examples of the work hard, stay humble, be kind, that's all that matters, and known a the way I don't know, like I could.
Speaker 5: Have told you. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: She had something to follow, yep, something significant that.
Speaker 1: She cherished or cherishes dearly.
Speaker 5: Yep. Yeah. And her mother's certainly the same way too.
Speaker 6: She's great. I always laugh when people tell in law jokes. I said, I can't laugh with you because my mother in law is We're very close and I've never not felt like her son as well, and no mean bone in her body, so to speak, and just she gets a lot of those the motherly qualities from Certling. Her mom too, is just an amazing lady as well.
Speaker 2: I love how Audrey has played such a pivotal role in you being who you are today. Even if I didn't know you the way I know you now, I could have told you just by watching you and her that was probably the case.
Speaker 1: It's evident.
Speaker 2: The way that you guys are with each other, and after thirty years, you know, it's like relationship goals. After thirty years, you're still completely in love and it's obvious and you don't see it a lot, but you've clearly made each other a priority.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 6: We've had our times, like any married couple is always going to go through ups and downs, and certainly when you make work too much of a priority, or when kids enter into the situation and they become the priority as they need to be.
Speaker 5: At certain times, it's just hard.
Speaker 6: You just have to be able to realize that it's not always going to be the same as when you first dated. It's not You're gonna constantly learn and the relationship has to evolve. And the key is that you're committed to each other. You're loyal, you're dedicated, and you stay that way and to me, you can work through anything else as long as you both feel like this is the person the soul made I should be with. And then once you build a lot of time together again, if you both come to it with the right spot and that you're good human beings and you respect the other person, you can get through anything as long as you commit it. I see too many people just not committed even out of the gate. Too many people enter into marriage either too casually, they don't date it long enough, or whatever reason, they don't admit they're not as compatible as they might think they are. And then again I just can't stand like a loyalty.
Speaker 5: It's one of my pet peas.
Speaker 6: But I even at the company, I don't tolerate people that cheat on their spouses.
Speaker 5: I try to move them on.
Speaker 6: I said, look, if you're if you're going to break that one sanctity of the rest of your life. You made that commitment to guy that you were going to stay with that person the rest of your life, and you broke it, you'll certainly screw the company over. So I can't trust you. And so to me, I mean, I understand there's some need for divorce always when there's a bad situation, but then have the have the integrity to get the divorce done. And then then if you want to go meet other people, God love you. Everybody deserves to be happy and find their.
Speaker 2: I completely agreed, But there's right ways to go about it, and then with.
Speaker 5: Class and honor.
Speaker 6: And I always you say do what your mother would be proud of, but honestly, you just do what you'd be proud of. That if you're honest with yourself. You really just have to do what you'd be proud of. And that's really what changed with me. I wasn't proud of the way I was acting in college until I met her, But by the time I graduated, I was damn proud of the way I performed and finished my studies and then got me set up for amazing job out of the gate and a great career.
Speaker 5: Because the FINI schools put me on that trajectory.
Speaker 2: I can relate to it in the sense of, once I completely did away with the self interest, self gain mindset usually which was destructive anyway, I've definitely not was not pouring good into my body in any way, shape or form. I completely put that in my rearview mirror. It's amazing how much things shifted. Not to say that clearly hard days are guaranteed, but being able to lean in and love hard and do it with conviction and know, look, I'm imperfect, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: I've made peace with that. I will never fail you intentionally.
Speaker 2: Like that's the difference now, love, loyalty, and faithfulness say it all the time.
Speaker 1: I was just like, babe, you know what do you need? What can I get for him? Just all I need from you, love, loyalty, and faithfulness. I got the rest.
Speaker 2: It's just like anything in a company, or in a nonprofit or in a relationship, You're only as good as your morale.
Speaker 6: And there are times where you need that person to pick you up when you're we have a rough thing you have to go through. We're human and one of the key needs of being human is having quality relationships and interactions.
Speaker 5: And that's the best part or the good stuff.
Speaker 6: It's quality friendships, quality family relationships, quality business relationships that you.
Speaker 5: Have their back. They don't have to watch their back. It's just to me. The more people you can put in the camp I always had.
Speaker 6: I had a great boss right out of college that said, you will not be successful in business unless a whole hell of a lot of people want you to be. So you better get to know a lot of people and always be selling yourself and what you want to go do. And people don't want to hear about you. They want to hear about how you help them be better. So you have to be a man or a woman for others if you want to be successful. So to your point, the minute you stop focusing on your selfish needs, and you say, the only way for me to really rise is to have that wave of people push me to the front of my career. You know, I took my first branch in Little Rock that was the worst in our company, dead last. I was the only one under forty that they let it run a branch, and I was twenty three years old. I didn't know anything, but I got there and I realized that branch was going to be shut down in like three or four months if I didn't perform, and all these people I inherited were going to lose their jobs, and so immediately I was working for them, not for me. And then that kind of ingrained to me that hey, they deserve to be led and led well, and it's up to me to do it. And I don't get to mail it in or quit early, I'm going to die trying. And we turned it around. We went from dead last to branch of the year the very next year out of one hundred and sixty five locations, and that really vaulted my career forward to where I then got noticed by all the executives and.
Speaker 5: Then I just kept climbing after that.
Speaker 6: But it was because I wasn't trying to impress people or look good or fake it till I made it. I was genuinely sitting with eleven people saying, we're all going to lose our jobs if we don't turn this thing around. I can lead us to victory, but I need you all to do your individual part. And if you just believe in me, I guarantee you we're we're gonna kill it. And we did. It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Their loyalty to you and your loyalty to them.
Speaker 4: And your leadership.
Speaker 3: We've talked so much about Audrey's influence on you, but if you hadn't chosen to step up and meet the expectation, we wouldn't be here talking today.
Speaker 4: Right. That's one of the beautiful things that it's.
Speaker 3: So refreshing to hear from such a large company that you have those values. Jake and I've both worked I mean, I worked with a Fortune five hundred company for years, and it's just so refreshing to hear that the traditional values are still being implemented in company.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I firmly believe that I work for the ten thousand employees of s RS.
Speaker 5: They don't work for me.
Speaker 6: It is my honor and privilege to serve them as their CEO. But I have a huge responsibility that I carry and proudly, and I don't view it as a burden.
Speaker 5: I viewed as.
Speaker 6: A great opportunity to give my full self and lead fully.
Speaker 5: And I know I do a really good job making the job look fun.
Speaker 6: So lots of people are going to want the job down line, But to me, it's all about morale. I can work twenty hours a week more than I worked today and give the company twenty hours more output. But if I can motivate ten thousand people to want to work one more hour week, I just created ten thousand hours of more output for the company. So I learned that I had to be a really master motivator and a great communicator. But to be believed as a good inspirational leader, it starts with empathy and trust And do they really care about me as a person? Or am I number? Or am I an asset? And do they really care about my life even outside? When we founded this company, I knew every employee when we were smaller, every employee, every wife, every child or spouse, every child's name, every dog's name of everyone in the company. Now we got too big at some point where you can't handle all that capacity. But the whole point was it was a family. We built an environment that said, hey, you matter, every person matters.
Speaker 5: It is a family.
Speaker 6: And that's why we coin the one family, One fight during COVID too, because it's an environment where everybody in this company has everybody's back, not you're worried about who's stabbing you in the back. There's only two types of cultures and corporations, one that you're worried about politics and somebody stabbing in the back, or somebody trying to get ahead at your expense, or everybody who says there's no limit to what this company can achieve as long as no one cares who gets the credit. And that's kind of the environment in the culture we just always believed in because it's not about being smarter. I enter every meeting in every room, I am as not the smartest person in the room, and I enjoy that. Actually, I can't stand people that enter the room thinking they're the smartest person, because I've been humbled enough to know that everybody in that room, regardless even if they're a brand new warehouse worker, knows more than me about something. We all come from different backgrounds, different walks life, and different experiences, and every single person on this planet is smarter than me at something, and as a result, they're my teacher.
Speaker 5: And so many leaders.
Speaker 6: Just don't get that. They are so insecure and afraid to admit they don't know everything, and they're too busy trying to convince you then everything to actually learn and get better and improve, And to me, that just stunts learning and usually puts you in a situation where you feel like an imposter or a fraud, and then you're not being an authentic leader. And people can smell that from allay.
Speaker 3: Well, you really are an authentic leader, and you've earned that reputation. Tell us about how you founded SRS Distribution and grew it and then started raise the Roof Foundation.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, SRS Distribution is a national building products distribution company. We founded it back in two thousand and eight, literally with four or five guys in a room with an idea, with no company, and we said, hey, let's go put the band back together, meaning the management team we had been together at previous company, and let's go do this one more time and build something that's never been done. Let's do some epic, great bold stuff, and let's take all the good things out of every company we've ever competed against or been and take all the bad stuff and not do any of it. And so we kind of set the architecture and the culture out of the gate and then didn't even have a company. So then we went and found this company out of Florida. We bought at a bankruptcy called Suncoast River Supply, which is the SRS. And we had six locations. We're doing about thirty million in sales, and we were losing.
Speaker 5: A ton of money.
Speaker 6: We had a private equity backer, and luckily they had confidence in us because they knew we had done it before. And quickly we went out and bought four other companies that year and stabilized the company and got going. But we've done one hundred and thirty acquisitions now in fifteen years. We've opened two hundred new distribution centers. So now from six we're all the way to seven hundred locations. From roughly one hundred employees after we bought that first company to now ten thousand plus employees. No one that we know of in brick and mortar distribution a non technology or non pharmaceuticalman. No industrial company in America has ever in fifteen years gone from basically zero to ten billion in revenue. Ever, according to all of our bankers on Wall Street, so very proud of that fact. We've grown tremendously fast and with a culture that I think is what I'm most proud of. We have a family first culture, people matter, and then the foundation kind of spins off of that. Once we've had success, we all kind of said, what are we missing. We're getting wealthier, we're getting accolades, we're winning awards as a company. We're proud of the way we act, but are we giving back to the communities? Are we giving back and certainly veterans was the first pillar that we said we've got to start. The second was people impacted by whether related disasters, because we do in the building industry benefit when there's hurricanes and tornadoes, so and that gives you a sense of guilt that, hey, I'm profiteering off of people's homes being damaged. So you want to give back into that community, just like the veteran community.
Speaker 5: Ron our chairman, and I both had fathers serve the military.
Speaker 6: And believe that we only get to play this game of business and have war without blood in the business world because our military is off protecting our freedom and protecting our American enterprise system and entrepreneurship. And the fact that we're still the only country in the world that you can be born and in your own lifetime change your multi generational famili's trajectory in one lifetime is the reason why everybody fights to get in this country and doesn't fight to leave absolutely, and that is defended by our military. So that's why it's a kind of as age. So and then we certainly want to support other local charities and all the communities we serve, which is our third pillars. So we started raised the Row Foundation ten years ago with just a dream of again to make a difference and use the power of our influence with the company because of our now eighty thousand customers, ten thousand employees and probably twenty thousand suppliers and reach a big audience and use our voice in a strong way to do good. We just didn't realize it. We would just take a life of its own, and now we have a huge endowment that we've built out and we've been able to donate probably almost fifteen million dollars to other nonprofits. The company pays for all the operating costs, so one hundred percent of the money we raise gets passed on to other nonprofits. So we're proud of that. And again we're just getting warmed up on that. As the company grows, it grows along with it, and it resonates. Our customers actually want to buy from us because they know we give back and it matters to them. If we're the same price as somebody else in the market for the same products and the same service level, they will tip the scales our way because they say, one, that's a company whether people are proud to be there. But two, look at all the veterans that are hiring, look at all the minorities they're hiring and get given careers to. And they're doing it the right way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, in this country, after Enron and Tycho and a few other bad actors around two thousand and two, two thousand and three, ever since, corporations in the media and in movies and sitcoms and everything have been vilified. You name me one movie or TV show since two thousand and two where a businessman or a CEO or a corporation was something that little Johnny or little Susie aspired to go be someday when they're sitting in elementary school. When I grew up, they was I admired my father in the seventies and the eighties because on TV they admired corporations and successful business people and successful companies.
Speaker 5: They were admired.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, we've lost that in this country and we've got to get that back now. Not all companies are good, and then they are certainly bad actors, and they deserve to be called out and identified.
Speaker 5: And I'm all for that.
Speaker 6: And what I'm hoping is SRS is that company that people emulate and say it.
Speaker 5: Can be done.
Speaker 6: You can be an amazingly successful company. Your employees can get very wealthy, not just the top, all the way to the bottom. Everyone in our company has equity in the company, so we're sharing the wealth.
Speaker 5: You can give back to your communities.
Speaker 6: You can give through a foundation or just charities, and you can do the right thing where your suppliers are proud of, your customers are proud of your employees are proud of you, and certainly the investors are proud of you and everybody's winning.
Speaker 5: Nobody, there's nobody losing more. Companies need to have the courage.
Speaker 3: To lead that way right and it does need to be on the headlines. I can't name a TV show for you, but I can name a podcast that is all about celebrating the good stuff, and that is.
Speaker 4: The good stuff.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Like I did that, well done.
Speaker 4: But that's the point.
Speaker 3: We want to celebrate the good because there is still so much out there. I'm sitting here thinking, you know, I'm in marketing, and so last night I unfortunately started looking at what was trending on Twitter.
Speaker 4: It's just depressing.
Speaker 3: We have to be protective of everything we put into our body, whether that be food, whether that be stories, TV, everything we're reading, and I just thought, you know what, I need to put this down.
Speaker 4: It's not doing anything but upsetting me.
Speaker 3: It's good to have the knowledge, but let me shift and let me pivot because there is so much good and SRS Distribution raised the roof you and Audrey and everything that your entire family is doing.
Speaker 4: Its incredible stuff.
Speaker 3: What would you say to a young man that was in the same boat as you after that first semester in college?
Speaker 4: What would you say to him.
Speaker 5: Oh, God, that's easy.
Speaker 6: I would say, first of all, get off your ass and get in the game. Get focused on being somebody and being that somebody you're meant to be, and realize your full potential. There's nothing sadder in life than coming across people that have amazing talent and amazing opportunity and they don't take advantage of it. I see it every day, and it's not just in the work life. It could be in other careers outside of business too, that you just see people that say either they're afraid, they're not willing.
Speaker 5: To take risk.
Speaker 6: I always tell everybody all the big movers in my life that have led to where I've been able to achieve, every one of them. Marrying my wife, the success of the company, my career, my achievements in school or with philanthropy, everything started from me taking a risk. If I played it safe, I would have never dated Auder. If I played it safe, I wouldn't have graduated from A and M and gotten off to this great career. If I played it safe in business, I would have never gone to Little Rock and turned around the worst branch. I would stayed at corporate and probably still sitting in a cube someday or somewhere. And I think people they need to find other people in their lives that can give them that courage or build up the courage in them, that believe they see it in them to where they can push them over to that risk. And when I say risk, I don't mean dumb things like driving your car one hundred and forty miles in there.
Speaker 5: I mean risk by saying.
Speaker 6: What's the worst could happen here? But let's be bold and be aggressive. You only get one shot at this life. Do you really want to sit back when you're eight and say, had I only asked Audrey out, I would have married her instead.
Speaker 5: Of John or Fred.
Speaker 6: Had I only not left company A when I worked for an asshole, then had the courage of myself to without A didn't even have a job.
Speaker 5: One time in my.
Speaker 6: Career, I had a boss who was a complete jerk and I just quit and he couldn't believe it. I didn't have a job yet, I said, I don't need another job. I'll find another job.
Speaker 5: You're a jerk. I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And to me, I see too many people in their careers work in a career or field they don't love, which to me is ridiculous. I mean I tell every person in high school or college I meet, follow your passion, do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. My twenty seven year career, I have never viewed it as work.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 6: If it was taken away from me, I would be depressed, because to me, it's cathartic to work and to achieve and to do good things and stimulate, especially your mind, but also other people, and test your metal and grow and improve. The minute you stop learning and growing, you know you're already kind of headed down a bad path. I mean, I see it all the time when people retire, they seem to lose their way and they have a hard time reconnecting and being happy and whatnot. And it's not all about being a workaholic. You can have work life balance and you can crush it in your career. And you don't have to be an extrovert and you don't have to be a CEO. You just have to do you like you always say, be your authentic self and just find happiness, find true joy. I always tell kids, if you wake up and you're in the shower and you're like I'm dreading going to work or dreading doing whatever I'm doing.
Speaker 5: You're doing the wrong thing right Stop, don't just keep doing it.
Speaker 6: Don't feel like you're on a treadmill. Get off and find a different path. And the only way that you can do that safely is have a lot of mentors and a lot of friends that can give you good advice on what you should do and ask them.
Speaker 5: Use other people.
Speaker 6: There's tons of people on this planet that are way experiencing you, and again, have the humility, don't be afraid to ask that you don't know everything, and step up and make good decisions and just take control of your own life. I see too many people just going through the motions of life and wake up at the end and say I'm unfulfilled. I didn't achieve what I wanted. I didn't provide for my kids, I didn't the way I wanted to, or I didn't set myself up where I could retirely and enjoy the wealth I created while I've still had the physical ability to do it. To me, that all was a lack of planning and a lack of willingness to admit where you're at and then take the risk and jump and again not a big risk, just a risk to say, maybe out of my comfort zone.
Speaker 5: But that's okay. That's how we grow.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so motivating. I love it.
Speaker 2: Pumped up now, It's also true. I just had a conversation with the guy last night and I said, look, man, everything we want is on the other side of our fear. So many people's greatness is dictated by their fear. Stop submitting to the fear channel it. Use it to help you go and grow. It's like to tell the boys, be willing to get comfortable being uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Sky's the limit.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: How do you celebrate your wins today?
Speaker 6: I think I celebrate my wins by trying to give other people the light as much as I can. It's hard being the CEO because everybody wants to put.
Speaker 5: You on that pedestal. If we fail, it's my fault.
Speaker 6: But if we win, it's because of the hard work of all the employees, and I think that's kind of the way you have to have that right mindset. To me, it's celebrating is more about appreciating and showing gratitude for the people that actually helped the achievement happen. And making sure you're not forgetting who actually got you there or did the work or achieved the goal, and making sure you're putting that spotlight on them and not yourself as much as you can, and saying it's the company that won that word, it's not the CEO, it's not the person, it's the company did that or achieved that milestone. And it's a team sport. And so to me, it's more about just spreading the credit and also celebrate aggressively.
Speaker 5: I mean we do.
Speaker 6: We make it a big deal every time we hit a new milestone, whether it's another billion in sales, or whether it's another one hundred locations we've opened, or if we pass another competitor and we get one step to the largest in our industry. Every time we try to stop and celebrate.
Speaker 5: Because you know, you're.
Speaker 6: Asking people to work in long duration now fifteen years, to build this company. You have to keep them grounded and that, hey, we're asking you work on a very mundane daily environment. That we try to make it as fun as possible.
Speaker 5: And that's my job.
Speaker 6: Is I want you to get a speeding ticket on the way to work, not on the way home. I'm creating an environment where you're thriving and enjoying being alive and contributing. Prison for me would be sitting there key punching something into a computer all day. You could pay me double what I make as a CEO to put in like numbers into a computer scrape, and I would quit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So people say, well, do you love your job? I said absolutely, And they say, well, what's a typical day like for you? I said, I haven't had one in twenty seven years, so I'm not sure every single day has been different. One day, I'm dealing with a personnel problem. One day, I'm dealing with the marketing issue. Next day I'm dealing with a supplier or a customer that's pissed off at us, or we've got, you know, a new distribution center that's behind schedule, or I've got an e commerce problem, or.
Speaker 5: I've got whatever.
Speaker 6: But the beauty is I love that because it keeps you again mentally stimulated, and every challenge is an opportunity to excel. And as long as you look at it that way and say, this is just a fun new thing I get to do, that's just thrilling to be able to say I'm gonna we're gonna tackle this as a team and we're going to shriind ourselves with the smartest people we can, the hardest working people we can. We're all going to have fun and we're all gonna we're gonna get it done. And so to me, that's the way you have to attack business and if you want to be super successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this saying real quick that you guys say, I think we heard the first time. Well it's several years ago, but the whole goal have fun and give back, make money.
Speaker 5: Funny.
Speaker 6: Give back started with our chairman Ron because his dad used to ask him early in his career only two things. They co invested in our first company that I went to work for Ron out of college, Cameron Ashley. Together he and his dad both put an investment in that company, and every time he talked to his dad, his dad didn't ask him how the investment's doing. He said are you making money and are you having fun? And he said, yeah, we're doing both.
Speaker 5: And then later on in.
Speaker 6: Life we added the give back because we were able to open up the foundation and get it started and really do some great things.
Speaker 5: Which is way beyond the money.
Speaker 6: We get more fulfillment out of meeting people like yourselves and meeting people all over this great country that do great things again that doesn't often goes unnoticed, picking up where others just aren't getting it done for our communities.
Speaker 3: What's one piece of relationship advice to bring it back to your beginning, to bring it back to Audrey and your beautiful love story with her. What's one piece of relationship advice that you've either been given or that you could give.
Speaker 6: The biggest thing to me for relationships is you've got to meet the other person where they are at that time, and you've got to support them and know where their needs are at that moment. And that's going to change all the time. Audrey and I don't resolve like arguments the same way She's like Jake. She's going to smack me in the head until I finished the discussion where I'm just going to go one her off and say, I know we're gonna calm down and then we'll have a very peaceful, logical conversation about the issue in an hour or two or tomorrow or whatever. So we've had to adjust to the two different styles of needing, two different resolution types. You figure out what works for you and what doesn't. She likes to confront and be aggressive because that's the family she grew up in.
Speaker 5: Was that way.
Speaker 6: I grew up in a family that didn't like conflict, and so whenever there was conflict, it was just kind of one of those well we don't talk about those kind of things at the dinner table.
Speaker 5: Avoids, and so that was just the way I was raised.
Speaker 6: So I have more of the oh, she's hit me off guard, I've got to I've got a retreat.
Speaker 5: It's the fight or flight. I'm in the flight moon right away.
Speaker 6: First of all, I have the appropriate level of fear of my wife. So that's probably the part of the issue which every husband should.
Speaker 5: I probably do too much flight, not in a fight.
Speaker 6: But we're both strong willed people and both very type A. So when you're both driven that way, you have to be able to ways that you both can be right. But then together you find a way to make it work. It's not always perfect and it's not always easy. But I think the point I'm saying is I think Jake says things like this before anyway tells you the relationship is perfect.
Speaker 5: They're lying to you. It's Basically, it's so true. You have to work on it. It's a craft.
Speaker 6: And there's different times in our time together where it was fantastic and we were able to focus on each other so much, and then there's times where I had to completely focus on work or she completely had to focus on the kids or whatever, and that those were the right decisions. And to me, it goes back to do you do you really truly believe the other person loves you unconditionally and is going to be there for you if something bad happen. If you did get in a car accident and you're in a wheelchair, will they push you around that wheelchair the rest of your life? If you fundamentally cannot say that you shouldn't marry that person, agreed, And too many people do and say, oh no, there's no way my spouse would stick around if that happened to me.
Speaker 5: I said, then you're you're.
Speaker 6: Already already wit up your mind?
Speaker 1: What are you doing wasting valuable time?
Speaker 4: Well, we truly.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you for the man that you are, for the leader that you are, the mentor that you are, and great friend love, all of the wonderful advice that we've gotten here today. It's truly an honor to be able to sit down with you and capture all of this for our listeners.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 6: Oh, You're more than welcome. The honor and the privilege is all mine. You two are a huge inspiration to Audrey and I both. We certainly love everything you guys stand for, and your unwavering commitment to people, not just in the military, but anybody really you meet that needs you is pretty amazing. You guys don't realize how much you inspire lots of people to do good.
Speaker 5: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being such a steadfast, present leader. It's very humble too, I might add, and that is not hesitant at all to give back.
Speaker 4: Dan, thank you so much for being part of our show.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, thank you guys for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever leave a conversation with him where I don't have just a ton of inspiration and just nuggets to think about to make me want to be better.
Speaker 1: Well that's because you don't sit in on the board meeting.
Speaker 2: No, he's exactly, I mean, he is everything in every reason.
Speaker 1: Of why we wanted to do this show.
Speaker 2: He and Audrey and the Tinker family is the reason that we have the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Such great people, a great family, even though they're Aggie's twenty seven to twenty five.
Speaker 4: There it is, there it is.
Speaker 1: That's my humble, gorgeous wife.
Speaker 4: All the livelong day.
Speaker 2: So for everyone that doesn't know what she's talking about, twenty seven to twenty five was the final score. The last time the University of Texas played Texas A and M.
Speaker 4: When was it twenty eleven?
Speaker 1: Twenty eleven. That's the last time A and M and Texas played? Yeah, it was twenty eleven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because A and M won't play us because they're scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a whole other way to take away from such a beautiful story.
Speaker 3: It's still beautiful. Twenty seven heye hook them. Thank you so much for listening today, and if this episode touched you, please share it. Be part of making someone else's day better.
Speaker 1: Put on your bad ass caves and go be great today.
Speaker 2: And remember you can't do epic stuff without epic people. Thank you for listening to the good Stuff. The Good Stuff is executive produced by Ashley Schick, Jacob Schick, Leah Pictures and q Code Media, hosted by Ashley Shick and Jacob Shick. Produced by Nick Casslini and Ryan Countzouse. Post production supervisor Will Tindi. Music editing by will heywood Smith, Edited by Mike Robinson,