Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is comedian and actor Quintin Brunson. She's here to talk about Abbot Elementary, the hit show she created, rights full and stars in.
Speaker 3: Quintin Brunson, Welcome to The Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Hey Trevor, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: He kidding me, Thank you for being here this show Abbot Elementary. I remember when I saw the first trailer.
Speaker 2: A lot of people we fell in love with it just in a promo. The idea was funny, the idea was special, and I'm so glad that it has lived up to expectations.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's talk through the idea, the inception of it all. Quince has always been somebody who's been very funny. But why does Quintin Brunson go, like, the funniest thing I want to do on the network show I want to make is going to be about school?
Speaker 3: Why that's well?
Speaker 4: You know, I got really inspired by going to visit my mother before. It was the year before she decided to retire. I lived in LA and I came back to visit her. My mom was doing basically a parent teacher conference with a parent on an open house night. The night started at twelve o'clock PM and ended at eight o'clock PM. Okay, okay, no parents came the whole time, and I was there with my mom waiting with her. A parent walked in at seven fifty eight, and I was livid. I was just like, how could you not get here earlier? There was so much time. But my mom didn't look at it that way. She was like, this is the time that this parent could get here, and she sat down and had the conference with her. And it was in that moment that something was sparked where I said, this is what I want to make a show about, because the whole time I'm there, I'm just thinking about how funny the place is. Her co workers in the situation. Yes, her and I started fighting about me, you know, doing comedy and her not retiring yet, and then this beautiful thing happens and I think, boom, I saw a show and I saw what I wanted to work on for the next however many years I'm able to You.
Speaker 2: Know, before I knew that your mom was a teacher, I was just like, man Quinca is just like in lovely teachers in a really beautiful way.
Speaker 3: And I know you all, but it explained so much.
Speaker 2: For instance, I remember seeing how you got this marketing budget, for instance, from ABC, and then you took a chunk of that money instead of spending it on marketing and billboards and everything, you gave that money to school so they.
Speaker 3: Could buy supply, so that they could get things.
Speaker 2: What do you think we don't understand about teachers, you know, having grown up in a teacher household.
Speaker 4: Just how much work they really put into the job. It is not a it's not a nine to five.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: First of all, my mother used to wakeup a seven thirty six, sorry earlier, because she had me, She had her own children.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I meant? Which we forget her own.
Speaker 4: Children that she has to get through school, clothes and feed. And then she would go to school deal with kids who were great, well behaved, but also kids who are minaces and parents who are menaces. And then she's identifying more than just these are my kids. This child has this learning issue. This child over here comes from a home where this is happening. This child is a selling too fast, and I have to make a little extra room for them. She's doing this for thirty kids all at once, my mom, and then after that she would stay later, she would stay until the last parent picked up their kid, because there always was a parent that would come in and be like, oh, man, pick ups at three up the same.
Speaker 3: Time every day.
Speaker 4: And come in at five point thirty. And then she would go home and she would short grade papers, which is the thing we all think is like, oh, that's what they do at home, but no, it's doing lesson plans, which takes up like an hour. It's learning new development material that the school district puts out.
Speaker 3: Because the teachers have to learn themselves exactly.
Speaker 4: And I can go on and on, but I just think people who maybe don't have a teacher so close in their life don't know how big the job is. And it's one of the reasons why I firmly believe they should be paid more.
Speaker 2: But I hope your show does this because you know what your show has done, I think a really great job of is that it shows the human side of being a teacher.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've only watched what.
Speaker 2: Seven episodes of the show, m already you have quadrupled your ratings from the first episode, which I didn't even know as possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me either.
Speaker 2: I always thought it was like start at the top and then you just gradually. Network TV never does that. I the broken records, You've changed history, you know, congratulations to season two has already been you know all of this, and I think a lot of it comes from the dynamic of the cost.
Speaker 3: How would that happen? How is everybody so comfortable in such a new thing?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness. I feel like I got to pick everyone I wanted for the cast, and I think that's rare. You know, usually there's some issue like you can't get this person you want because of this reason, right, you can't get this person, blah blah blah. But I also have like a personal connection to each person that I cast and knew what type of person they were. Ultimately, I think, you know whatever, everyone has different opinions. But I wanted my show to feel like a workplace. I know, it's TV, and TV can be crazy and we accept it. We accept like a bunch of crazy. Uh this church shit, you know, yeah, we were did the Today Show this morning, so like but we you know, we accept like bad behavior, We accept like so much. But I didn't want it to be like that because, you know, it's my show, and I was.
Speaker 3: In no asshole policy. Yeah, I believe in the same thing. Yeah way, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So getting all these people together in a room the first time we filmed the pilot, everyone's just energizing and feeling good about each other and feeling good about the show that they're making too. So I think everyone's happy to be there and.
Speaker 3: I love that. Yeah, I just you.
Speaker 2: You know, you may be one of the few people I know who has gone off of the Internet because of too much positivity. January, You're like one of the few people I know who's gonna guys, I'm going to take a break from Twitter.
Speaker 3: There's too many positive comments.
Speaker 2: I have to take a moment, please, And I think it's because of what you put out into the world. You know, I hope you never lose it. You you have this thing. It's so authentic that I know everyone asks you questions. I mean, it's there's a further around the show, which I hope never never ends. One of the more confusing things that happens to people was a video where all the kids are leaving and you know, you're saying it it's the mid season break. All the kids are leaving, but they're all saying goodbye to you as your character, you know them, like bye miss Tea.
Speaker 5: Bye bye, good day Monday, I see you on Monday.
Speaker 6: Guys, be careful you see.
Speaker 3: Anyone's watching this video.
Speaker 2: And some people thought, yeah, that the kids don't get paid and the kids aren't It was very confusing for some piece.
Speaker 6: It was very confused.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure they jumped there until we don't pay it.
Speaker 6: We take a few steps before we get.
Speaker 3: To later think the world is a bad place. People think the world is a bad place.
Speaker 4: And nothing else that really showed it to me. I was like, no, no, no, no, we would never not pay the kid, Like why would you jump there? Please don't look. People were very confused. But the way our step operates with the mocumentary style camera work, the kids aren't viewing it as a typical TV set. They know that some people are moving around with cameras, but they can't bank on where those.
Speaker 3: Cameras will be. Oh you okay, so it doesn't look.
Speaker 2: Like this, So to them it almost feels like they're in a classroom and someone's making a documentary.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and our classrooms look so real because they they also have school.
Speaker 3: There where the kids actually have school there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because studio, you know, they have to have school. So they don't know me as Quinta bruntson girl from you know, the Internet and TV. They just know mistigues, and sometimes I have to tell them to be quiet as mistigues. They would raise their hand and be like miss Teas. He hit me, Miss Teas out to the bathroom. And I would just have to play the part so we could get through the Yeah, so we could get through the scene. And they know they're acting. By the end, some of them kind of started to figure out. They're like, uh, this is a set. I was like, yeah, I'm on TV so and your name is Quinta. My mommy told me. I'm like, okay, you're not figuring out anything groundbreaking, but all right, that is the door.
Speaker 3: See. I love it. I love everything you do. Thank you once again, Thank you and.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your continued support. I feel like you've always been so supportive career. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: My guest to life is actor, writer and comedian io Edibris. She's here to talk about starring in the new FX show The Bear.
Speaker 3: Please welcome, Io Aediversy. Welcome to the show. Thank you for having me, Thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: I feel like you shouldn't have time to be here with all of the work that you're doing. I mean, we just saw a new show of yours that's going to be, you know, coming out on FX. And then like, just take me through everything else that you're doing right now. So you're acting in the show, and then your rights as well rights, and then you're a stand up comedian, yes, and then on top of that, I feel like there's two other things I'm forgetting that you're doing.
Speaker 5: Big man mouth maybe and trying to get sleep.
Speaker 3: I think, how was that going?
Speaker 7: I could call my parents more that too, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: All the things they'd be doing.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 2: It really has been just like a like a wild ride for you, you know. Sling shot and the beginning of your journey is one that intrigues me the most because I read things about people. I do the research, and then sometimes it doesn't seem true.
Speaker 3: Were you studying to teach?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was studying to be a teacher.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be an English teacher.
Speaker 7: Okay, and then I did my student teaching and did you know that teenagers are really scary? And they will tell you when you're not a good English teacher.
Speaker 6: So I was like, hmm, maybe change careers.
Speaker 5: But I was doing stand up and stuff at night, and all my friends were studying writing, and it felt like people were doing this. I don't know, and I don't know. I just was like that one life might as well try.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that the kids were so terrible. You just changed your perspective on life. They just shifted you in a new direction.
Speaker 8: It was like the opposite of any of those like movies were like a teachers like, you know, coming in the classroom and standing on the desk, Like I stood on the desk and they were like, sit down, we go home.
Speaker 3: Did you tell journal? Did you tell them you were going? No?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: I think if I told h thirteen year old my dreams, I don't really think that would have gone great.
Speaker 6: You know, they might have had notes.
Speaker 2: They are, I mean, like the reason behind all of your success.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 2: I feel like you should thank them now because they've sent you into a very successful career.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like doing it and you're crushing it at everything.
Speaker 8: It was like, tell the teenagers made me sad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's talk about the show on efics.
Speaker 3: Is it? Is it a comedy?
Speaker 2: Because the moments where I feel like it's a drama, and there's moments where I find myself laughing out loud.
Speaker 5: I guess drama ed I write that down copy right, making money? Yeah, I think it is kind of in that dramedy space. It's it's definitely I it's I mean, I identify as a comedian.
Speaker 6: I don't know if other people identified.
Speaker 5: Me of that, but I identify as a comedian. And it was it felt very funny to like be showing up to work and being like, oh, okay, I'm the most serious person.
Speaker 8: I'm saying like the least funny stuffs hilarious, I'm like actually acting.
Speaker 6: I think I think it is.
Speaker 3: I think it is good.
Speaker 2: It's funny, it's heartfelt. I mean, because it's it's a story about like really it seems like a ragtag restaurant.
Speaker 6: You know that it's a deeply motley crew.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the food looks is it real food?
Speaker 6: It's real food. We're cooking real food.
Speaker 5: We're working in a real kitchen. Our set designers and our production designers are geniuses, and they created a real kitchen that felt really small, like a real kitchen in a working restaurant would, but they created just like a little space, enough space for a camera to be able to move through.
Speaker 2: And I like that it has it has the feeling of like, you know.
Speaker 3: The nice were real? What was fire? Yeah, it doesn't seem safe.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, hey, oops.
Speaker 2: The you know, the story is really great because it's it's it's it feels like it's a commentary on the family we have versus the family we choose.
Speaker 3: You know, we see your character's.
Speaker 2: Journey, we see everyone starting to fall for each other and be in that world. It made me wonder where you feel your biggest family is, like in what industry? Because some people, let's say they're on Broadway and they act on TV, They'll go like, oh, but the broad my Broadway family.
Speaker 3: You're in so many different worlds.
Speaker 2: I want to know, is there like one world where you feel like I'm at home, this is me.
Speaker 6: What if I was like Trevor with you first time, I.
Speaker 2: Would I would say thank you, thank you, and that's very creepy because we just met.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say. But I would be flattered. I would be flattered.
Speaker 6: No, I feel really lucky.
Speaker 5: To be embraced and feel like I get to learn in so many spaces, and I feel like I have a lot of curiosity and I want to do a lot of things and do them well. And I feel like the places that I've been able to work and the people that I've been able to work with, like a lot of them are just really great mentors and friends. And so I feel like in a lot of spaces, in writing and in stand up, and I guess now in acting, like I have people who I so deeply earnest the stand up in me is like, oh, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel like there's a lot of I.
Speaker 3: Think it's good. I think it's good to be honest.
Speaker 2: I feel like you should be proud of what you've done. You know, it's not an easy journey. Are your parents proud?
Speaker 8: My parents are backstage age, so I hope that they're proud. They told you they're backstage tapping their toes.
Speaker 6: They're like, oh, we got notes. This is weird.
Speaker 3: So where are your parents from?
Speaker 5: My mom is from Barbados, and my dad.
Speaker 8: Is from where you just did that accent from. He's from Nigeria. And no, he was backstage and he was watching and he was like, I'll take that.
Speaker 3: That's a standing ovation from a day. I'll take that. I'll take that.
Speaker 2: It's been great meeting you. You know, congratulations and.
Speaker 3: Everything you're doing.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's not just you who identified. Everyone who sees you goes you're a comedian, You're funny, You're amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being on the show. Having I felt at home with you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: My next guest is a writer, actor, and stand up comedian with two hit Netflix comedy specials and the film.
Speaker 3: Always Be My Maybe.
Speaker 2: She has a new book called Dear Girls, Intimate Tales, untold Secrets and Advice for living your best life.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Ali Wong. Welcome to the Daish Alley one.
Speaker 6: Thanks Trevor. It's my first time being it is your first time being here.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: It's been way too long because like I watch everything you do and I'm like a giant fan, and then I see you everywhere else and my.
Speaker 6: God, you're like stalking me.
Speaker 1: No for real.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on everything you've done. I mean, like we watched you blow up and stand up, which everyone loves, and then the thing that really brought me.
Speaker 3: Joe was just.
Speaker 2: Seeing how you kick ass and movies as well.
Speaker 6: Oh thanks, so you're a movie star.
Speaker 2: Now you realize that, right?
Speaker 5: Whoa?
Speaker 9: It was really fun and I got to mac on those three fine ass dudes.
Speaker 6: You watch the movie, right?
Speaker 3: I know? Yes?
Speaker 6: It was like who wrote this? Like whose idea was this? Who was in charge?
Speaker 2: You have Keanu Reeves fighting over you? I mean, and then he came to your show, didn't he?
Speaker 9: He came to my show, which was amazing. He was so sweet and he was like in such a good mood afterwards too, who's really smiley?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: The people had confused though, if like Keanu Reeves plays your boyfriend in a movie and then they see him at your show, isn't someone like, uh I think it's real.
Speaker 6: No one no one.
Speaker 9: I mean like I'm cute or whatever, but no one thinks.
Speaker 6: That he really wants to date me. They were like that movie was straight up fiction.
Speaker 9: Like all my friends were like, Ali, You're you're cute, but you ain't that cute.
Speaker 3: You have fans of your stand up, you have fans.
Speaker 2: Of your movies, but a book is a very different medium for us to engage. Ali Wong in your first book, and it's also an interesting style of book.
Speaker 3: You've written.
Speaker 2: This book, Dear girls, it's specifically written to your children.
Speaker 6: Letters to my two daughters.
Speaker 9: I have two girls who are under the age of four, and the first one was in that striped dress when I filmed Baby Cobra, and the second ones in the lepard dress. And they're very aware of it too, like they know which which ones they were. And uh, I wanted to My dad wrote me this letter before he passed away, and my real name is Alexandra, and it was started with dear Alexandra, and he like reflected a lot on our relationship and how I had affected his life.
Speaker 6: And it was a short letter and I love it so much.
Speaker 9: Wow, But I wish that he had written me more, because after he passed it was too late to ask him all these questions about who when he when I was born, like he was already the successful antesesiologist. And in the same way like when my girls were born. They only know me after I filmed those two specials, and they don't know like what it took for me to get where I am and how I was.
Speaker 6: The grind before.
Speaker 9: And I think that's so that's such an important life lesson and I want them to know that I wasn't you know that I struggled a lot and then I had to work really hard.
Speaker 2: So it really is an interesting book because you know when when when I first got the book, they're like, oh no, Ali wrote this for her two daughters, and I was like, Oh, it's gonna be like a cute, little like kids book.
Speaker 3: Oh no.
Speaker 9: And then she writes about like a rectile dysfunction, yeah, like that.
Speaker 6: She experienced in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, this is this is like it's very it's graphic and it's real.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, it's real. Like I'm assuming it's not for them now.
Speaker 9: No, they're like reading like they're watching Daniel Tiger. I hope they watch Like it's so there's so much like dirty content in there that they're even more dirty than My specials that I hope that they watch the specials long before they read the book, right.
Speaker 2: But I mean, as much as it is for your daughters, it really is for women in general. That's what That's what I love about the book because you're telling your story and for instance, you share stories about stand up comedy that I would have never thought of and have never experienced because I'm a man in stand up. So for instance, you just talk about how much you have to love stand up as a woman, when like you talk about like going to like walking your car. Yeah, one am by yourself.
Speaker 9: I think the reason, I think a big reason why there are more women who do stand up it's not getting on stage is the easy part. That's the fun part, and being funny is the fun part.
Speaker 6: But going on the you have.
Speaker 9: To go on the road to be a great stand up because you have to test out your material and all these different cities in front of all these different audiences, and that's.
Speaker 6: It's a safety issue.
Speaker 9: I think that's why more women don't do it, because when you go on the road. The first day you go out, as you know, you get into a car with four strangers.
Speaker 6: Always from your from you, and it's crazy. You just like get to a car and I've never met this person before.
Speaker 9: They could kidnap and you're very kidnappable, but you could defend them.
Speaker 2: But no, but this is I mean like because like when we started was before uber, before any of that, So like what would be funny is it gets like a random town.
Speaker 3: This is what happened. Like every comedian has a story.
Speaker 2: You get to random town. You're performing in a random comedy club, and then they just tell you like Gym is going to pickup and you're like, who's Jim.
Speaker 3: They're like, he works with the club. You're like at the club or with the club?
Speaker 6: No picture?
Speaker 3: Do you know who Gym is?
Speaker 9: Some guy's coming in some like nineteen seventy five to Corolla that smells like the ghost of like a dead cock expirm and you're just like, are you like is this for real news?
Speaker 2: Every time you get in the car, there's always there's always like you get in the car and the person's, oh, you can just throw that on the back seat. There's always something on the back that.
Speaker 6: Throws like old freedoms.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, So I can imagine how unnerving that must.
Speaker 9: Be for a man that's like, oh this is gross, but so is my apartment who or whatever. But for a woman, it's like, am I gonna get killed?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 9: Like every time you know, you think about that and it's a.
Speaker 6: It was like, I think about the days when I started. I would never want my daughters to go through that.
Speaker 2: You also talk about like like just the journey of of of your rise in comedy. You know, you talk about your success, the grind that came behind it, but then you talk about like just the experiences that you've had with someone.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Many people, in fact, try to reduce you to just you know, you'll you'll you'll factor.
Speaker 2: So they went like, oh, you're getting you're successful just because just because even now there, because you'regnant.
Speaker 9: There's so many There was a guy who I won't name names. He's not a very successful comedian, so I don't even know if you would know who he was.
Speaker 3: I don't, but he came up to me.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't know, you're you're out of there now.
Speaker 9: But he like came up to me while I was pregnant the second time, and he touched my belly with his like fat, sweaty hand, which is so gross.
Speaker 6: To begin with. It's like it's like, why don't you finger me while you're at it?
Speaker 9: This is so not okay, Like just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean it's okay for you to touch my belly. And he was like, oh, so this is your shtick, This is like your thing now, right, And I'm like I was like, getting pregnant is not rainbow suspenders, not a shtick. And then he was like, you're so lucky, Ali, because you get all of this attention because you're both a female and a minority. And I was like, yeah, because you know, historically that's always been the winning combo.
Speaker 6: For recognition and success.
Speaker 9: And he was like and he was like, you know what I mean, Like me, I'm just another white guy.
Speaker 6: And I was like, be a better white guy. There's so many successful There's like there's Jimmy.
Speaker 9: Kimmel, there's Will Ferrell, there's Nick Kroll, there's John Mulaney. I can name, like, I could go on this whole show for like thirty five days.
Speaker 3: Successful white comedians.
Speaker 2: Just be a funnier white guy.
Speaker 3: Like that's it. So the girls are gonna read the book Girls Out.
Speaker 2: They will read the book. Women can read the book.
Speaker 6: Men can read the book. To Trevor. Yeah I did, I did. Yeah, I did, I did.
Speaker 7: Girl.
Speaker 6: My husband wrote the afterword too. It's very sweet.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: He wrote a beautiful thing about how like you consult with him about the jokes that you will tell about him on stage, which is really nice. Congratulations on another successful Endeava.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream pull episodes anytime on Faaramount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast