Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Lisa A.
Speaker 1: Brahmoids along with Tom Keene and Jonathan Ferrell, join us each day for insight from the best in economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. We're just seeing one narrative after another torpedoed in actuality because of all of the different myriaded factors that are playing into this.
Speaker 3: It is mind spinning.
Speaker 2: Let's try and come up with a theory with Mandy Zoo, vice President, Global head of Derivative Markets Intelligence over at Sea by Markets. Mandy, goodmorning to you.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I'll take a stab at then the narrative ping pine.
Speaker 2: Or pickleball or whatever. But Ima wants to call it okay, Max Katna HSBC said this morning, Lixa quotes of it. I'll cite it right now. The Move index is the new risky asset fear gauge. What would you say back to that?
Speaker 4: So certainly bond volatility is the highest across asset classes right now, But I don't think it is the only measure that investors are looking at. And obviously I'm not just saying that because I worked for the c BOW, but I would say the VIX index more so than any other, is what traders have up on their screen. But to be fair, you know, I think right now we need to look across multiple asset classes, rates, equities, credit, right We recently launched the credit VIX and decease to give investors a better gauge to measure credit volatility. All of these are important asset classes to watch for as we kind of go into the potential end of cycle. You know, as we talk about recession versus soft land, is.
Speaker 2: There anything about the price action the most we saw last week that would give you some indication as to whether it's sustainable or not.
Speaker 3: So to me, the price action of the past not just last week, but.
Speaker 4: The past two month has been extremely telling in terms of what the pain points are in people's portfolio. And it's not to the downside, right the pullback that we saw in September. In October, we're very very orderly, and that's because coming into the fall, the consensus investor expectation was for a pullback, and what you really saw the pain wasat week in the snatback rally, right, we saw people actually scramble for that upside because they weren't positioned for it. So if you look at for example, SMP put call ratio hit almost one year low as people were kind of buying those upside calls to really get that upside exposure that.
Speaker 3: They don't have in their portfolio.
Speaker 1: I love this by the way, that the pain trade is when things do too well, and that people got knocked out because there was a rally well. I mean, this is sort of where we are in this moment of upside down and downside up. But my question to you is have we washed that out? Are we done with the positioning that causes the pain trade to be further upside.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think the again were talking about the narrative ping palm, but I do think the consensus and even though economists have shifted to soft landing, I think if you talk to investors, everyone is still so bearish and the positioning to me, it's going to take longer to really wash out than what we saw last week. And that's why we're seeing that durable demand for those upside calls in the S and P.
Speaker 1: When we talk about upside, are we talking big tech upside? That that basically is what people have not loved because they've believed that higher yields might take away some of that valuation. That people are being forced to buy those once again.
Speaker 4: I think part of it there certainly has been. I think one of the distinguishing features of this year's price action has been the incredible sector dispersion. And we talked of the narrative ping pong, the ping pong between sector leadership. Right last year tech down forty this year tech up, you know, thirty forty percent. That changing sector leadership. That high dispersion in the market is part of the reason why volatility in the equity market and the index level has been so muted, is because of those wild swings that we're seeing at the sector and the stock level.
Speaker 1: How correlated have the bond and stock moves been, in other words.
Speaker 5: Is they're just a direct read through.
Speaker 1: Lower yields stocks rally, higher yields stocks meander because people aren't positioned in them too much.
Speaker 4: So if we zoom out from just the past week and look at over the past year, it's been incredibly unstable, So that's I think the key feature is the equity bond correlation has not normalized to what people are used to and because of the instability, I think as one of the reasons we're seeing more and more people gravitate toward equity specific hedges or options, right because if fixed income is no longer diversifying your equity're risking your portfolio, you need to look at more specific hedges, so you know, buying those SMP puts or other types of hedges. I think that's kind of been the trend, and that's why, you know, option volumes have been hitting record highs all year.
Speaker 2: A note they just caught my eye from City Andrew Hanenhorst. He said soft patch not soft lending. There's a difference. He says, rather than a steady slowing of job growth and inflation, our near term projections suggests a temporary soft patch, elevated inflation is likely to be more evident in upcoming data. Last week's reloosening of financial conditions also argues, in his eyes, against the moderation and activity and inflation. Mandy does that argue that we should be much more nimble as we work through this. At least some kind of mentioned this, and we were quite snarky about it earlier on in the program. It's difficult to make projections for the next twelve months. You can't cling to a theory at the moment when everything seems to change. It's painful. In bombs, you'll get whip sword in one direction and the next week whip sword in the other. Does that argue to be nimble? And what does that look like from your perspective?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I alluded to earlier.
Speaker 4: So absolutely, the heightened macro uncertainty means investors do need to be nimble, and the way they're doing that is through using options right. And the way that I like to explain is if there's no uncertainty and you know stocks are going up, you just buy the underlying, right, you just buy the delta one instrument. It's when you're uncertain when you want to find risk reward right. You want to know what you're at. You're at risk of losing if you're wrong.
Speaker 3: That argues for using options right.
Speaker 4: If you buy call option, you know going into the trade, the max that you can lose is the premium pede I think that's why. You know, again, in this uncertain macro environment, even though it hasn't translated into higher levels of VIX, VIX being thirty day measure of uncertainty, that long term uncertainty has definitely led to more and more people using options to kind of define that risk reward to help manage that portfolio volatility.
Speaker 2: You touched on it there, just slightly. Yes, when you talk about volume and options, are we talking about zero day to expire?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, So people often think, okay, it's everything's coming from zero day to xpreoptions volume across all tenors or are growing higher, but obviously zero day has been the fastest growing segment.
Speaker 2: You've made the argument that's not something we should worry about.
Speaker 3: No, And because it's balanced.
Speaker 4: So people who make the argument that zero day options or what's driving the market, they look at the gross volume the notional volume, and they say, well, look it's five hundred billion a day.
Speaker 3: Of course that's what's driving the market.
Speaker 4: But if fifty percent of that is by fifty percent of the customer selling, then there's that zero impact, right, So the balance of that trading matters, and what we see is that it's incredibly balanced and because that's the case, there's actually very minimal market disruption.
Speaker 2: Mandy, this was great. Always is Mandy Zoo of Cibo and Mandy, thank you, Thank you. Michael. I literally with the serround of table to Ryan. Michael, I wish people could see your face as that Beast team was faking just to get some reaction. It's going to see you can.
Speaker 6: It's great to be here, John, Lisa good talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, buddy. You've had earnings out this morning. We've been talking about this dividend of four hundred million euros. We've got to talk about this relationship with Boeing. I want to share a couple of quotes with you and then try and get some clarity. So you said in the last week, if anything, it's getting worse. I would have been reasonably confident up until about a month ago that we'd get fifty seven aircraft by the end of June. I'm not confident. We heard from your CFO this morning said the worst case scenario is that we'll end up with growth of forty seven aircraft next summer instead of fifty seven. Help me understand where things are. What did you want and what do you think you're going to get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean our case, Boy are contracted to deliver as fifty seven aircraft by the end of April twenty fourth, in other words, fifty seven editional aircraft for summer twenty four. At the moment that has slipped by the Spirit production issues, in which it's all Boy's own production issues in Seattle. I think now it looks like we'll get the leave us maybe ten short by about the end of June. We'll hopefully we get forty five fifty aircraft by the end of June. We said the boy, we're not taking planes in July and August because frankly we're too busy, but we're reasonably hopeful that we'll get forty five to fifty aircraft front they will leave us short. I think that's inevitable at this point in time, which means we'll have slightly slower growth next summer, but we'll still add forty five aircraft. It'll still be enough to enable us to grow traffic from one hundred and eighty three million passengers this year to just over two hundred million passengers.
Speaker 2: It's for a number you have in mind whereby you would have to cut capacity the next summer.
Speaker 6: There isn't.
Speaker 7: I mean we haven't yet announced for the capacity will be next summer. As we said this morning, we have ninety percent of our summer twenty four capacity already on sales. Strongforward booking is good pricing, but we can't commit to the last ten percent until we get a better picture from Boei. I speak weekly with Dave Calhoun. I think he's doing a good job in difficult circumstances. I have less faith in the management in Seattle, but I think you know, we're working closely with them.
Speaker 6: We have our own people in Seattle, we.
Speaker 7: Have our own people in Spurting, Whichito and anything we can do to expedite these deliveries will do because growth is so strong in Europe.
Speaker 2: What is it about the management in Seattle what they're getting wrong?
Speaker 7: I think there isn't enough focus there on a daily basis on how do we get in with these aircraft out. Everybody is kind of ringing their hands blaming Wichita. You know a lot of the issues are in Seattle as well. They need a more crisis I would like to see greater crisis management in Seattle and greater.
Speaker 6: Focus on quality control. If you.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't understand how Wichita spirit and which we're able to have this succession amount of production problems if Boeing's quality control was up to speed.
Speaker 6: Do you have options options in terms of what.
Speaker 2: Do you do if you don't want to work with Boeing anymore?
Speaker 7: I no, no, no, Let's say we want to work with Boeing. We're Boeing's biggest customer by a mile in Europe. We're a committed Boeing customer. Now, I would buy Airbus aircraft if they were five percent cheaper per seat than Bowing, but Boeing continue to beat.
Speaker 6: Airbus on pricing.
Speaker 7: The seventy three seven Max is a phenomenal aircraft, like we've we now this summer, we've flown one hundred and twenty five of the Max eight aircraft. We're carrying four percent more pastors but burning sixteen percent less fuel. You know, they're transformative in terms of the engine and aircraft efficiency. We've ordered three hundred Max tens, which will I was to carry two hundred and twenty eight passengers per fight and burn twenty percent less fuel. So they're making great aircraft. It's just they're not making them. On time or delivering them in time.
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say though, this is a relationship you're stuck with regardless of what it delivers next year.
Speaker 6: I mean, yes, you know we're committed to Boeing.
Speaker 7: If you look around the world, the aircraft manufacturers, I mean airbusts are no better than Boeing at the moment. Airbus are way behind on their deliveries too. You have the Part and Whitney engine, which is going to be a real crisis next summer across the A three twenty fleet in Europe. Yeah, the Part and Whitney engine is going to ground a significant number of Airbus aircraft next summer, So all of the aircraft manufacturers are challenged. We're a very proud Boeing customer. I think Boeing will get its act together. It's just taking a bit longer than we had originally hoped.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, how far can you jack up prices if capacity is constrained?
Speaker 7: I mean I think that the real issue for at least is not how much would we jack up prices? How much will Loftanza or France, IAG or BA keep jacking up prices? And the answer is a lot. You know your control estimate. This summer, Europe's operated about ninety four percent of pre COVID opacity. That includes US growing by twenty five percent. So take Ryan Air away. Europe still at less than ninety percent of pre COVID capacity.
Speaker 6: That's not changing next year.
Speaker 7: The aircraft manufacturers are delivering aircraft late the part and whitneys will mean five ten percent of the airbus street will be grounded. And consolidation Loftans will buy al Italians, somebody else will buy Tap and there'll be even less capacity on offer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is good news for you because you don't have to really have to try too hard to be the lowest cost aircraft while still raising prices.
Speaker 8: How much you're going to raise prices next year.
Speaker 7: We're price passive, load factor active. I think what's happening is how much Ifthansa or France Kalem will drive up fares. I think by a double digit number next year, it'll send even more people in the direction of Ryanair. People want to keep flying, families want to go on holidays. They just don't want to pay Luftansa's outrageous prices. So I think fares that next year I mean my operating assumptions fares will go by a low double digit percentage again through the summer twenty four. It'll be the third year in a row, third summer in a row, we'll see double digit fare increases in Europe.
Speaker 1: This is the first year in the first time that you're initiating a dividend. Yep, it's a four hundred pounds dividend. It is the first time. Does this mean that you have nothing else to do with that money?
Speaker 6: Essentially?
Speaker 7: Yes, you know, I mean, so the first time we've done it. We've done special difference in share buybacks. We've done about seven billion in share buybacks and special dividends.
Speaker 6: But you know, we're.
Speaker 7: Clearly generating a lot of cash at the moment. We've paid down about two billion in debt. We're down to our last two billion in bond debt.
Speaker 6: We'll pay that down.
Speaker 7: Over the next three years, and we're generating more cash that we know what to do with.
Speaker 6: We have specifical requirements.
Speaker 7: Firstly was to do pay increases for our people who worked with us during COVID. Secondly was to pay down the bonds, and thirdly is to fund aircraft deliveries. But we're running out of the existing order. We take the last aircraft in December twenty twenty four. The first of the Max tens doesn't arrive Toll January twenty seven, so we're looking.
Speaker 6: Into two or three years.
Speaker 7: So we have effectively very little uses for cash, and I think it's a commitment on our part. We'll return to shareholders. We won't squander it the way many other airlines do in m and A or buying hotels or whatever, or as Delta or as Delta would do giving monstrous pay increases to its pilots over the next four or five years. We need to keep our cost low, keep our efficiency high, and keep passing on on Beata Blair first to our customers.
Speaker 2: Do you think scheholders then can expect more of the same of the next few years.
Speaker 7: I think so as long as trading continues. You know, who knows what's going to happen in Ukraine or in the Middle East. But as long as we get a reasonable wind on trading, then I think we will continue to be very cash generitive and we will return large amounts of cash to shareholders.
Speaker 2: It's hard to know what is going to happen in Ukraine, in the Middle East. I don't expect you to give us a protection. I do want to understand, though, Are you seeing things slow down in any way, shype or form when you start to see these things escalate anything, that's all no.
Speaker 7: I anyway, we saw the initial when Russia invade Ukraine in February twenty twenty two, twenty two or three account remember you know, there's a sudden downturn in all of our traffic into Poland, Romania, those countries.
Speaker 6: It recovered after two or three weeks. We've had to suspend.
Speaker 7: We're suspending all flights. We've about thirty flights a day into Tel Aviv. They've been suspended until Christmas. So we do want to see those those scenarios resolve themselves. But the ultimate underlying trend across Europe we've locked up everybody for two years in COVID. They all want to go back, traveling families, want to go on holidays. We've just completed the October midterm break. We were still full, and I think what people want is to travel more. But there's only ninety percent of the pre COVID capacity. So in Europe you've constrained capacity, enormous demand and that is resulting in very strong prices, not just for Rhynder but for all of the airlines.
Speaker 2: And you're noticing getting right down. I hate to describe it as tried down from Bight to ryan abbat United saying anything like that.
Speaker 7: Not at the moment, but you know, I think it's inevitable if the next year or two, if consumers are under pressure, I think you know you'll see the little and all these are the supermarkets.
Speaker 6: Ikea will do very well, in Rhine will do very well.
Speaker 1: So what about using some of the cash to make the experience nicer for people who might be frustrated.
Speaker 7: With At least it'd be impossible to make the experience on Rhinier any nicer. You know, aircraft on time flights the fewest cancelations of any airline in Europe. And I don't understand why people pay such ridiculous air force for a horrendous experience on Lofanza. Who lose your bag, miss your connection? On Ryanery It's efficient, it's cheap, it's.
Speaker 6: On time, and it is below.
Speaker 2: Like a man that four million people, once upon.
Speaker 7: A time, did you live like I had to do on a road show a year ago, I had to fly from Frankfurt to Zurich, which is only about a one and a half our flight. They stung me for nine hundred euros one way in economy and I was sitting at the back, in the middle seat, in front of the toilet on an adleweis a three twenty.
Speaker 6: I mean seven hundred years. I could fly all year round on Ryanier for seven hundred euros.
Speaker 2: Michael, it's got to say it, John Lisa, Michael Larry that the Ryan A CEO I at the line up joint just now had a macro credit recearch at a black Rock. I matter, don't worry. We're not going to be so about that. I do want to talk about supply if we can start there. We've got forty eight billion dollars a three year notes this week, we've got forty billion dollars a ten year notes. We've got some thirty year bonds twenty four billion dollars worth. These are big, big numbers. That's treasury supply. What's happening with credit supply going into year end?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Thank you both for having me so. As you know, credit supply had a bit of a flurry of activity in September. It calmed down in October. I do think with this tentative stability in the treasury market that corporates, CFOs and treasures may look to move ahead before the year end seasonal slow down. It will be an important test for the market how this treasury supply is digested, But as we know, the Treasury Secretary guided us towards the front end of the curve and not so much in duration in the refunding announcement last week. But I actually think, if nothing else, the past several months have shown corporates that this can be very episodic in terms of these windows opening, and so given that we know the maturity walls are coming up, I think for corporates it's better to issue early rather than late. We're expecting a big week in the IG market this week. I think expectations are a little lower in high yield, but I would not be surprised if we surprise to the upside in terms of those expectations, because I think it's just prudent for CFOs, which speaks.
Speaker 1: To kind of the opportunism that one that he get Desk told me about last week. He messaged me as soon as we saw this rally and he said, everyone's trying to come to market. I've gotten fifteen phone calls. Everyone's basically lined up. Is this going to be bad with credit spreads widening in the sort of counterintuitive way because we've got more supply.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the appetite is there, and I think we've had such light supply, especially in high yield year to date, and twenty two was a record a low level that I think the appetite for the market is there. I think where the real risk is is it that lowest quality cohort of the triple C market, that kind of lowest quality rung of high yield.
Speaker 8: Which are triple C issuers. There.
Speaker 9: I think we've seen some enhanced pressure where it's weak results coupled with refinancing needs have really pressured those capital structures.
Speaker 2: And even on.
Speaker 9: This rally in high yield spreads that we've seen over the past few trading sessions, triple c's have rallied, but they've lagged on the way in And I think it's the market telling you that there's an appetite for certain quality cohort in the credit market.
Speaker 8: Ig I think is there.
Speaker 9: In most market conditions, high yield is a bit more tentative, but for that lowest quality wrung, I think it's very case case specific and very idiosyncratic.
Speaker 1: Are people kind of just pricing in perfection here?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: With high old spreads below four hundred, it's hard to argue that there's much risk premium added into the market at the moment. I think what we're seeing is a lot more focus on selectivity from our credit investors, so thinking about acid allocation between high yield and leverage loans, sector selection, issuer selection. I think we're high old spreads are at the moment. The path of least resistance is probably a little bit wider in terms of choppiness, with some of the headline risk ahead of us.
Speaker 8: But again, as we've talked.
Speaker 9: About before, where yields are, it's really difficult to see kind of high old spreads breaking out in this range of much wider from here, because when you every time, we tried to reach four forty last week and we kind of snapped back in, and so there is a bit of a tug of war between fundamentals and technicals, and even the most vulnerable fundamental pockets of the market have been the best performer, Like leverage.
Speaker 2: Loans, you mentioned the decision set between loans and say high yield. Help our audience understand what goes into making that kind of decision and whether that's changed in the last few weeks.
Speaker 9: So it has changed in the last few weeks for a few reasons. One is, if you think we're at the end of the rate hiking cycle, if you think we've seen stability in long end rates, you might think that the bulk of the loan outperformance is behind us at this point. And indeed that yield pick up that leverage loans were offering over high old bonds has narrowed. So what we are seeing is a bit more interest, say even within capital structures of investors saying Okay, well I'm in the loan, should I rotate into the high old bond or given the fundamental pressures of this higher for longer rate environment that we're expecting, are loans disproportionately impacted by that because they've been contending it with it for a longer time. Again, we don't view fixed rate bonds as immune from that in many instances, but I do think on the margin, given the strong performance of loans here to date, there is some refocusing on okay, as the bulk of that loan performance behind us.
Speaker 2: We read some life into that just a little bit more. We sort of big equity move last week. If you're looking at AG, and I know it's unique and it is syncratic, but ultimately just give us the thirty five thousand foot few. If you're looking down a capital structure right now, is the bias to be higher or lower in it?
Speaker 8: Actually?
Speaker 9: You know, I think the high end of the highield market has actually outperformed the low end of the IG market. So it's not as clear cut as saying be underweight high yield versus IG. There are a lot of nuances there. I do think for choice, I would prefer to be higher in quality within high yield in IG. I think moving down into that triple beat cohort is a relatively nice place to be. For the most part, the vast majority of those corporates are committed to maintaining investment grade ratings. You are picking up a bit of a spread pickup relative to the highest rate COHORT. I think that's important in this current environment, especially if we don't get a severe downturn in growth.
Speaker 1: So I don't mean to be overly basic about this, But when you take a step back, I do wonder if we do get coalesce around this higher for longer kind of idea, does it make sense that we're not going to get any kind of major default cycle, either in public credit or in private credit. If we're looking at benchmark rates that are five percentage points higher than when all of these companies were borrowing in bulk not so long ago.
Speaker 9: It's a great point, Lisa. So we are seeing a modest uptick in defaults. Were it just under five percent in the US when you combine high yield and leverage loans, that's well off the rock bottom levels of twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. Do we break out to the levels that we saw in COVID eight and a half nine percent, I think, barring a severe downturn, I don't see it. Part of the reason is that corporates have entered this period in a really strong position. The other part is that the investor appetite, to your point, John, is there.
Speaker 8: And then third I.
Speaker 9: Would say, it's are actually shifting to a more balance sheet friendly posture. So we haven't seen a lot of debt funded M and A. We haven't seen a lot of debt funded share buybacks. They're still investing in capex, still investing in debt repayment in terms of uses of cash. But I do think corporates do have some discipline. I think the real risk is that if there's a severe downturn in growth coupled with just a capital market's freezing such that these corporates don't have access at any price, I think it's difficult. As for the private credit point, historically we look at losses between the two markets, and private credit losses have held in better than public credit losses. Part of that is because the enhanced flexibility that those corporates have.
Speaker 8: We think that holds true.
Speaker 9: But I think the point remains we're expecting an ongoing normalization higher in losses across all those asset classes, not extremely.
Speaker 2: Given where we know where the maturity will is. Can you identify what would be the least oportable time to have any economic downsid and is that what's basically on the horizon now?
Speaker 9: So I think probably the biggest risk is that if corporates try and time this opportunistically, they let the year end play out, they think the environment will be better in the first half of twenty twenty four and then we have some sort of shock, whether that's geopolitical, unforeseen risk contraction.
Speaker 8: We're watching bank lending.
Speaker 9: Very closely, although that has actually played out I think a bit more benign than we would have thought.
Speaker 3: That is the risk.
Speaker 9: I think that if corporates try to be almost too strategic about the timing and they cut it too close. We saw that on the financial crisis, where some corporates were shut out. So that's why I think, if I'm a CFO or treasure, better to issue early rather than late.
Speaker 2: At at least's point, maybe we get a lot more supply in the coming weeks and months based on what we've seen develop over the last few weeks.
Speaker 6: Matter.
Speaker 2: Thank you, always great. I'm out of line in that of black Rock. Joining us now is Judy Norman, the co director of the UCR Center on the US Politics. Judy, always wonderful to catch out with you. You've articulated this the pressure to articulate an endgame given what's developed for the last couple of weeks. Do you see sense that that pressure is ramping up once again over the weekend.
Speaker 10: Well, I think it is John and very much from the US increasingly on Israel, mostly behind the closed doors, but starting a little bit more publicly as well. And this has really been an issue since since the after October seventh, to try and forge out what would be next for Gaza after an Israeli operation. There are many different options that are considered, but really none of them seem to be very good for either Israelis or for Palestinians.
Speaker 8: Israelis and Palestinians are not.
Speaker 10: Looking for a reoccupation of Gaza.
Speaker 8: Some have floated the idea.
Speaker 10: Of the Palestinian Authority, the West Bank Governance having a role in Gaza, but they are very weak, very illegitimate, and also I think would not take on that role just yet. And the US is even exploring some options of saying having a multi national transition kind of a group there, some kind of almost like a peacekeeping force. But again all of these are very tentative options, and I think crucially right now is trying to identify what Gaza might look like after this in a way that is not just a continued downward spiral for both GUS ands and Israelis.
Speaker 2: Judy, as we can all see at the moment, the administration domestically facing pressure from all corners, Judy, from your position, can you identify any kind of success this administration is having, convincing the Israelis of having some kind of humanitarian pause, convincing it Israel of changing its approached somehow. Is there any kind of success you can identify?
Speaker 10: Yeah, John, So, I would say the US came out very strong in supportive Israel, and some in Israel have called this a sort of bear hog, a public embrace but also a private restraint and kind of some whispers in the ear. So this has started from the beginning, and I think most importantly Blincoln was pushing for a humanitarian pause over the weekend that does not look forthcoming at the moment.
Speaker 8: Some areas where they.
Speaker 10: Have had some success is starting to get a bit more aid into Gaza. There are currently about one hundred trucks now coming into the Gaza strip per day. Before the invasion, that was about five hundred trucks a day, so still much less than is needed, but more than was coming in for several weeks. The other area that they had some temporary success was getting communications reinstated in Gaza, but I understand over the weekend there have been more blackout so that seems a bit inconsistent. So I think that pressure for humanitarian pauses will continue. For Israel, I think they see that as perhaps halting the offensive, and they're halting their overall aim of ousting Hamas. But for others that is just seen as absolutely necessary for both getting aid into the Strip and getting people out.
Speaker 8: So I think Blincoln will.
Speaker 10: Keep focusing on that, And I would note now who suggested that if hostage is ur released, that might open up some room for a humanitarian pause. So I think we'll see more focus there in the coming days.
Speaker 1: Julie, what I've found more interesting rather than Tony Blinken going to Israel was all of the other meetings he's had on this particular tour right now, he's in Anchora and Turkey. There's a question over Bill Burns and his relationship with Jordan, the head of CIA, and his tour in the region. What is our sense right now of some of the regional countries and their position their involvement both in what's happening now negotiating with Hamas, but also some solution after this conflict is over.
Speaker 10: Sure, So I think there's a couple different facets to this one. Is again the short term, trying to get other Arab states to also back this idea of humanitarian pause. Most leaders are very forthright about calling for a full ceasefire, so of Lincoln was trying to get some space there as well as just keeping diplomatic channels open. The second was really in terms of trying to keep the conflict contained and trying to avoid flare ups in other Arab countries and in other areas, especially.
Speaker 8: Like Iraq where US.
Speaker 10: Troops are stationed and where there are Runi and proxy groups operating, So trying to kind of quell any potential flare.
Speaker 8: Ups and just further dispersal of this conflict.
Speaker 10: And the third, as you mentioned Lisa, is again trying to look ahead to what that endgame.
Speaker 8: Might be and what the role of Arab states might be within that.
Speaker 10: Again, would Arab states be part of some kind of multinational you know, transitional authority or force or something like that.
Speaker 8: Again, right now, I think most Arab leaders.
Speaker 10: Are reading the room pretty clearly with their own populations, who are very sympathetic to the Palestinian cause and are not going to stick out their neck too far for what the US is pushing for.
Speaker 8: But at the same time, you.
Speaker 10: Know, work quite closely with the US and some of these states with Israel as well, and so needing to kind of find that middle ground. So a lot of diplomacy happening that I think will be discontinuing wholeheartedly over these next couple of days.
Speaker 1: As President Biden lost the room with his own party at this point, given his approach on this.
Speaker 10: Conflict, I would say it's very clear that the Democrats have a lot of internal divisions over this conflict, and this isn't new to Biden, and I think he knew with an issue as difficult as Israel Palestine, you are probably never going to please everyone, especially in a party like the Democrats, which are pretty split on this issue.
Speaker 8: Now he's getting a.
Speaker 10: Lot of very vocal criticism from many on the left, from many progressives and for many on the pro Palestine side.
Speaker 8: But I think he's also getting a lot.
Speaker 10: Of support from more traditional liberal Democrats who appreciate the solidarity that he's shown towards Israel. So in some ways, again you're not going to please everyone. And again right now the US is trying to find a very difficult middle road and kind of thread this needle between supporting Israel but also trying to minimize casualties and think ahead to what might be next and what might be best for the region.
Speaker 2: It's going to be incredibly difficult for the president going into next year journey. Just to finish on that poll from the New York Times over the weekend, big leads for the former president Donald Trump in Arizona, Georgia, and Michigan, Nevada, and lead in Pennsylvania as well. Due to your thoughts on that as it came out over the weekend, Yeah.
Speaker 10: This is going to be a big wake up call for Democrats and for the Biden campaign. We've been seeing these neck and neck numbers for Biden and Trump for quite a while. But to really drill down to the six swing states and see that five out of the six Trump is leading with less than a year until the elections is quite notable.
Speaker 8: And again, this is a.
Speaker 10: Little bit different than past elections because both of these both of these men are known quantities everyone and someone like Trump, everything is out there already, so I don't see a lot of this necessarily changing. Obviously pulls a year out, our year out, but I think for Democrats who thought, you know, Trump was going to be an easy target or something like that. It's clear that Biden has a lot of work to do, and that's you know, it's going to be challenging for him to keep his coalition together. So I think we'll see some different strategies emerging pretty soon.
Speaker 2: Hi, Judy, Thank you. Judy Norman of the US Sales Center on US Politics.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Joining us now.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad to say. Is Ashley Allen, corporate credit research analyst at Franklin Templeton, who can weigh in maybe I'm Birkenstacks, But more importantly, thank you so much for being here, because to me, the big question really is how resilient is a consumer? After people have been saying that they're running out of their savings month after year after month, have we reached a point where you actually are seeing evidence of that?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 11: And I think it's been maybe for a few months, to be fair, but I think we find ourselves in a really interesting situation right now, especially.
Speaker 5: Following three Q earnings.
Speaker 11: We just heard from a handful of staples companies from restaurants, consumers are still spending, especially on some things that they'll want to indulge in whether it's coffee, sweet treats in the grocery store, so that the data is backward looking, so we have to keep that in mind. But up until this point, again, resilient has been the word that economists are said over and over. They're still showing up to spend on the things that make them feel good.
Speaker 1: How much in some of the earning calls that you've been tracking and just some of the communication that you've had with corporate officers about what they see going forward, how much do they see this continuing in a durable fashion, just based on how much wages are increasing and the fact that the label market is strong.
Speaker 11: I don't think it's durable, at least at the same level that we have sustained thus far. A lot of the resilience that we've seen on the top line has been driven by price volumes, you know, let's call them flat plus or minus on either side, both in kind of the restaurant space, but also in staples. If you think about the CpG companies in the grocery store, volumes of kind of flat line, so where they can consumers have technically been pulling back from a volume perspective, They're consuming less companies have just realized that they can still benefit from taking price that likely can't continue forever going forward.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of people will argue that a lot of the household balance shees look pretty good. So if people want to lever up to get a latte, a double, you know, mocacino, they can do that. Is that what we're actually seeing that people are just continuing with indulgences, but levering up to do so.
Speaker 11: Potentially, I don't necessarily it's always a maybe, right, I don't necessarily think that leveraging.
Speaker 5: Up to buy their latte.
Speaker 11: But I think if you have to look at the bigger picture macro, if you think about millennials broadly speaking, who maybe are waiting to buy their first home, if you can't do that right now, I would argue that, you know, spending seven bucks on a coffee isn't going to impact your ability to buy a home the same way the Fed would in.
Speaker 5: Regards to their rate policy.
Speaker 11: So I think from a consumer perspective, it's less so about them leveraging up, but a bit more about the bigger macro picture, what they are spending on and how they're supported by jobs. To be frank as well.
Speaker 1: So as an investor, do you recommend then consumer discretionaries that are the small luxuries in life that people seem pretty committed to.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so there is something called the lipstick effect, which we've seen before, specifically, you know, in regards to beauty, where women will still spend on small luxuries to make themselves filtered during times of economic stress.
Speaker 5: I think that same the pattern.
Speaker 11: Or thesis could easily be applied to sweet treats to think about, you know, oreos or cookies that we like as well as well as just the occasional splurge in regards to dining out and whether that's at you know, full price restaurant. Maybe you're okay spending you know, twenty bucks on your fast food meal that one time. They will indulge, especially during times at economic spress.
Speaker 1: Do you buy the holozempic argument.
Speaker 5: Not yet, it's tb D.
Speaker 11: I do think, you know, these drugs are really powerful for the individuals that they were originally designed to help, maybe those with type two diabetes or who are severely over overweight and obese. But consumer habits really die hard, and I think that it might take more than ozembic at least in its current form to change those patterns.
Speaker 1: So zooming out. We were just speaking with Veronica Clark over at City Group, and she was talking about how they expect a soft patch now and then a reacceleration and inflation because a lot of consumers just keep accepting prices where they are.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Just based on sort of a company specific kind of analysis.
Speaker 11: I think that if consumers, if the can keep their wage gains that we've seen recently, if they can, if those can be persistent, there's a good chance that they will continue to accept the price gains. I think it's as a matter of who's going to blink first. Is it the consumers or is it going to be the corporations in regards to pulling back on price to drive volumes or consumers finally going to reach a point where they say, hey, you know what, I don't want to spend six bucks on a box of cereal anymore.
Speaker 5: I don't want to buy that seven dollars coffee.
Speaker 11: But as long as they're supported by jobs and some wage gains, I think you know they'll continue to spend.
Speaker 1: Which raises this question when you talk to corporate executives and they can pass along these costs. Are they then hiring more people?
Speaker 11: No, because at the end of the day, corporates are also responding to markets. Broadly speaking, they're trying to recover the margin that they lost over the past eighteen months or so when inflation and input cost really got out of control. Margins became compressed. At that time, profitability was hammered. They've benefited these past few quarters from those price increases in conjunction with falling input costs. Now, to be fair, those costs haven't completely reverted, but profitability has been.
Speaker 5: Strong from them.
Speaker 11: And for the most part this is very idiosyncratic, but companies have been rewarded when their bottom lines, of course have expanded or reverted to pre pandemic levels.
Speaker 1: So's it's just zooming out To wrap this all up, I guess there's this question of whether some of the legacy retail companies and whether the legacy service companies can continue to operate and thrive based on their capital structures and a borrowing costs that was a lot lower from another era that they were going to have to refinance at a higher rate, whether they are still incredible companies to invest in in a current environment. Are you basically saying that, yes, because they're able to pass along those costs to consumers that have continued to really go for the products that they're selling.
Speaker 11: Yes, they've been able to pass along the cost. But the maturity wall, broadly speaking, has been pushed out for several corporates, including those in retail indiscretionary names, and so you know, they have balance sheets these days in the cash fload to support you know, the interest expense that they have. Now, in three or four years, when their maturity wall comes to do, we'll see where we are and we can address it at that time. But at the moment, balance sheets are strong, the cash is coming in, they can make their payments, and they're passing along those higher prices.
Speaker 1: What are the strongest segments of retail right now?
Speaker 5: It's a great question.
Speaker 11: Broadly speaking, Beauty as a segment that's continuing to do well. Historically, pet has been a segment that's been strong, but we have seen some weakening there. It's probably a bit of a post pandemic trend that's reversing.
Speaker 1: But people are sick of spending their entire paycheck on fido. Ashley Allen, thank you, Thank you so much of Franklin Templeton.
Speaker 5: We really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday, starting at seven am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and.
Speaker 3: The Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always on the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Lisa Abramowitz, and this is Bloomberg