Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is Mick Shots streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: At Here we go. It's time for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys training camp here at the corner of Ventura and Vineyard in Oxnard, California. In Savannah, you got a huge smile on your face. You've been here for a long time. Mickey got in with the team earlier in the week, and we are set to tell you this is the pregame show for the as it turns out, for the State of the Cowboys Fresh Conference.
Speaker 3: You are right about that one.
Speaker 2: Mix Shots brought to you by Miller Life.
Speaker 4: And you could see Bill's a little tougher than us because he's got shorts leeves on at sixty three degrees?
Speaker 2: Is it sixty three? It doesn't feel like it. I mean, it's I thought, I'm still I'm still on Dallas.
Speaker 5: By what freeze is coming in the California cool air of the morning is just lovely.
Speaker 6: I don't know, you've hated it for a whole week.
Speaker 5: Right, eleven days, eleven days yes, this is day eleven for me.
Speaker 2: I got eleven days until I leave, and so not that I'm counting the days, but here it is. It's day. It's really and truly day number one of Cowboys camp because this is the first time the team is officially on the practice field and it's gonna, as it turns out, kick off with at twelve thirty Dallas time, ten to thirty Pacific time with Jerry and Stephen and Mike and the State of the Cowboys press conference that we always look at the big one.
Speaker 3: We're waiting for it.
Speaker 5: We have the pre game for that, as you said, but I'm excited to hear from coach and Jerry and just hear what they have to say for the opening of campus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we I mean, we know what the questions are going to be.
Speaker 6: Uh it'll pertain.
Speaker 4: To contracts and uh ceedee Lamb not being here and Dak Prescott and Michael Parsons and Mike McCarthy too. When we're talking about uh last year of contracts. And when I was writing the mix shots yesterday, I don't know why this occurred to me, but I mentioned that, you know, Mike McCarthy is on the last year of his contract, and I wonder if a head coach has ever held out a training camp.
Speaker 3: A good one looking for extension.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not coaching. I want an extension right, just the way the players do. So uh yeah, it'll be interesting. Uh you know, those will be the questions those guys will have to answer. I'm sure somebody will asked Jerry about the delay. This was supposed to be yesterday. I got pushed back today because of his schedule. But I did notice that the Joneses showed up here at twelve thirty in the afternoon yesterday, and so reporting for the players was one pm, so they get fined.
Speaker 2: So the arrival for the Joneses was twelve thirty or two thirty Dallas, right, So they made it yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Thirty minutes before they got fined for being late.
Speaker 2: And for us in the media, and it's basically, they have the same schedule every year when they come out here. They arrive on a Tuesday, and then the next day they have the big press conference and so for us in the media, that's what we cover that day. And then on the third day, which is Thursday, which is today, they have the practice. He focus starts focusing on football. We focus on what Jerry says on Wednesday, and so now we've got to cram what Jerry says on Thursday into the first practice and then we find out that Dak Prescott is also talking after practice. Yeah, we just take care of it. We just take care of everything. In one day.
Speaker 4: I was just talking to doctor Cooper and I said, yeah, we finally get something tangible. You know, we go through this whole off season and you have to come up with different things and you know, give me the top five of this or the top five of that, and now we finally get something tangible. But it's like a hurricane hits now. It's like we got enough stuff for three days with all the stuff you said Bill going on.
Speaker 6: But it's quite welcome.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you know what.
Speaker 2: I got my big blue notebook.
Speaker 3: I have a blue one too, that was appropriate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, how about that? And there's nothing in it right now. It's a blank sheet of paper ready for the press conference coming in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's my preparation. We half hours are this my notes?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: And the other thing. I want to pick both of your brains on this because I've I've been out of touch in the off season because of the playoff run of the Dallas Stars and the Dallas Mavericks. In fact, I was in Boston at the NBA Finals when the mini camp occurred, so I wasn't able to be there for that, And then, as it turned out, when the availabilities dre at OTAs, I was busy doing basketball and hockey stuff. And so I'm coming into this with a clean slate in my own mind about what this training camp is going to be.
Speaker 4: Like, you know what, and I think we all are built because as we know, the OTAs and the mini camp and for all impracticable purposes, the first four practices is like flag football. It's you know, the pads don't come on till next Tuesday. So the thing we could see is how they were lining people up, where they were putting some guys, what teams they were on, and what opportunities they were given some guys to maybe upgrade their snaps heading towards the season. And you know, a couple of things I think we noticed during that time, at least I did, is that it sounds like they were going to give Cavante Turpin a real opportunity to play wide receiver. I need to a real opportunity to get him the ball either on end rounds or in the backfield as a running back. The fact that they started lining up Deuce Vaughan a little bit more in the slot in some of the formations, or starting as a running back and then motioning into the slot as a receiver.
Speaker 6: Things like that.
Speaker 4: I think they think a lot of Marshan Needlin as a defensive end and we're giving him until he suffered a minor injury, he was getting some first team snaps at right defensive end.
Speaker 2: And he of course the second round draft pick, Marsha.
Speaker 4: Right and the weird thing that happened to him, and I can't remember if it was. I think it ended up being in the rookie mini camp where they were there was no contact or whatever, but they had a he had an unfortunate circumstance. He got hit in the nose and he had to have his nose straightened out right, and so he ended up being taken out of any drill that they didn't have a helmet on.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it was like the weirdest thing.
Speaker 4: He was almost embarrassed when he was telling me about it, and he goes, yeah, no big deal, no big deal. But I think this kid's got something and they really need for him to have something going forward.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: You know what tells me that they think highly of Marshawn Neelan The number he's wearing. It. You give a player the number ninety four, and that's a pretty special number. You were right about that, Savannah. What is it as we start this training camp that you're most interested in watching on the practice field.
Speaker 5: I feel like we have so many training camp battles this year at different positions. I'll touch on a few wide receiver you're looking for that number three slot there, Jalen Tolbert Brooks, Cavante Turpin getting some opportunities, and I will say, not having CD Lamb at this moment who is not reported to training camp, it gives some of these guys that are younger some opportunities to get more reps in and so that's where some of these battles start to take place. And I know that wide receiver one is top of mind. Tight end that's another one. I'm looking at Peyton.
Speaker 3: Hendershot and then Luke scoon Maker.
Speaker 5: We obviously have Jake Ferguson who I believe in his third year is going to.
Speaker 3: Do immense things.
Speaker 5: However, you still have to have these guys kind of fighting for whatever that second opportunity looks like at the tight end position, so Hendershot, Schoonmaker, you know, kind of up in the air there, and then I'm looking at the center position as well.
Speaker 3: That's a big one.
Speaker 5: Brock Hoffman, obviously, I would say, is a little bit more experience, but you have Cooper Beebe that you put in there, and then you have some other guys on the offensive line that are kind of looking to solidify their position. So I'm more excited to see the battles because I feel like this is the year where there's more of them than any other year.
Speaker 4: There's more opportunities for younger guys to step up.
Speaker 2: And you know why. You know why there's more opportunities.
Speaker 4: Because they had eleven guys leaving.
Speaker 2: Free A and they basically only sign right two that are potential starters and Zeke Elliott and Eric Kendrick exactly. I mean Royce Freeman was another one they signed. But and that is that is something that is highly unusual, and yet that says a lot about how they feel about some of the young guys on this roster. And you know, I look at I kind of liken this to the Cowboys first preseason opponent, the Los Angeles Rams last year. And I remember at this time a year ago, the Rams said, because they were salary caps and have had a problem in this with a salary cap.
Speaker 4: They were all in the year before.
Speaker 2: And they had so many players on their roster that and I study it pretty intently, but there were a lot of no name guys on their roster, and they built through the draft and they wind up making the playoffs last year. It was an unbelievable job, not only as far as they had coaches concerned, but their personnel department and putting guys in position. Of course, they had and now they've had Aaron Donald retire in the meantime, but they had Aaron Donald was that when he signed his contract the highest paid defensive player in the league. They are spending a lot of money on Matthew Stafford Cooper Cup also, and so it's kind of the same situation the Cowboys find themselves in this year. And so now this is going to be a real test of the scouting department and what the work that they've done in finding these players that a lot of people haven't maybe haven't heard of, that are going to emerge here. And that's why we're having more training camp battles this year because in most years, all you have to do is follow the money and you know exactly who's going to make the team, and you can probably as training camp starts, figure out forty eight of the fifty three players on the roster, barring injury, who are going to make the team. And this year it's more up in the year.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's not just lip service. When Mike McCarthy, well, we'll say our improvement has to be from within. It's like people ask me, well, how did this team improve, It's like, well, that's we're going to training camp and find out.
Speaker 2: And part of it is doing what you suggested with Cavante Turpin and you've got a guy who is multi talented and he can do more for this football team than just return kicks, you know.
Speaker 4: And Savannah brought up the tight end position. And there's two young guys that I think are going to track people's attention.
Speaker 6: We forget John Stevens.
Speaker 4: Last year, the undrafted rookie free agent was gonna make this team until he tore his ACL and so now he's back and he and Demarvian Overshown along with David Durden, three young guys last year that had a shot of making this team and actually playing, all tore their acls and spent their rookie season rehabbing. And there's another guy. And I saw him yesterday when I was going by our last yesterday evening, going by the locker room, and I looked at him and I was like, who is that guy?
Speaker 2: Tall?
Speaker 4: You know, well structured, And it was the rookie, undrafted rookie tight end, Brevin spawn Ford. And he's attracted some attention from this team.
Speaker 3: Because of his height. Yeah, he's he has the height.
Speaker 6: What is he?
Speaker 4: He's like, Uh, I think he's six six six to sixty right, twenty four years old, so this is not just a young kid, right and uh.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're watching video highlights whatever camp, he wears number forty seven. So they're very good. When one thing, one thing I think we should do at training camp because of all the new players, is when we talk about him, we'll mention the number two in that way. Yeah, when you just see some something on social media or whatever of a player. Oh, that's that's.
Speaker 4: Can't tell the team without scorecards, right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I got the numbers here, guys.
Speaker 4: You just let me know who we need. So so, yeah, there's there's young guys like that that you know, have an opportunity. There's young guys like them Marve and Overshown that they need to step up.
Speaker 2: And that's the guy that I really want to see this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And he was making a huge impression last year and they had all these plans for him and what was it, a week or so into training camp and he tears his acl so, which, by the way, today will be the day they have to put guys on physically unable to perform. I was told at that last mini camp that the plan was to start with Trayvon Diggs on pump And it wasn't because he was behind or anything. They just felt like his time could be better spent continuing to rehab than to get out there and start playing football and then you have less time to rehab. So they're probably going to start him off there, That's what I'm expecting. But it had nothing to do with him not being ready for the start of the season. It was all kind of the plan on how to bring him along. But the other three guys, I think they're ready to go.
Speaker 6: The ACL guys.
Speaker 4: The interesting one will be Mozzi Smith to see if he's ready. He spent the entire offseason rehabbing from the shoulder surgery, trying to get in better shape, so we'll see exactly where he is when this starts. Harold Nash, the strength and conditioning coordinator, that was kind of his pet project in the off season. He was one on one rehabbing Mazzy Smith, and they really need him to step up because the depth at that nose tackle position is very thin and you don't want thin stuff at the nose tackle.
Speaker 6: Now, that's right.
Speaker 2: And the three ACLS that you're talking about are number thirteen to marve On Overshown, Number eighty one John Stevens, and number eighty five David Dirty and Stevens.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you come out of college like that, and remember his days at TCU. He was a wide receiver and still was a wide receiver at Louisiana until the Cowboys kind of looked at him and said, this guy could be a tight end and you spend a year, not only rehabbing, but in the weight room. He looks the part now of a tight end. Not that he put on a ton of weight, but just the body structure looks like an NFL player.
Speaker 5: Mickey told me earlier this offseason. It was during Mini camp. I believe, he said, I'm going to be an expert on all these guys doing rehab by the time training camp comes, and I think that has been accomplished if you ask me.
Speaker 4: Well, you just see those guys working out there all the time and exactly you know, with Britt Brown and then Harold Nash and and you kind of see how devoted they are to get back, you know, you first time, I think all three of them suffered an injury and you're left out and all you can do is rehab, and I think these guys did it full steam ahead.
Speaker 2: You know. It's interesting because the just the setup at the Star in Frisco, you're able to just at your office desk be able to look out and see some things that are going on on the practice field, like during the off season the rehab guys. One of the things last night that was very interesting right out here we were doing our live shot at for the ten o'clock newscast last night. So the sun was just setting and it was basically out here the sun goes down to run around eight o'clock, and so by the time we hit our sports cast time at eight twenty, out on the field, there were four players out here that were just going that one of them had like his cell phone, and I didn't even I didn't recognize the players. I assume they were playing.
Speaker 4: I didn't have their numbers out they were They weren't.
Speaker 2: You know, equipment staff guys or you know, but they were out there and they were they were doing a little skull session on their own, just going running through plays. It was like wide receivers and a tight end and probably rookies on the roster and one I'm at his cell phone. He was calling out the plays and they would line up and then go through the motions of the It was really interesting to see. I would love to find out who the players were because it really shows work ethic, you know, and an attention to detail. And I want to not to get screamed at in practice today.
Speaker 3: Let's we'll see if we can.
Speaker 4: Find out who it was. Well, you know, that was one of the things that caught my eye or ear whatever of Cooper BBI when he came in for the rookie mini camp and they put the players up at the Omni right next door, and found out that so he's making a transition from guard to center, and he really hadn't played any center practice a little bit, but so he asked to one of the transitions is not only switching position, but switching into position you got to snap the ball, right, So talking to him, he pointed out that he goes, yeah, he goes, I carry a football round with me and we went into the ballroom and I got anybody that would catch for me.
Speaker 6: I was snapping.
Speaker 4: So at night in the ballroom, he was snapping deep snaps to try to get used to snap in the football. And I'm going, okay, I like this kid. I like him even more now that the effort in his downtime.
Speaker 5: And then to even add on to that, when he was drafted, he would go out into his backyard with his dad and his brother, yes and practice some snaps with them.
Speaker 3: So that's some dedication, yeah, if you ask me.
Speaker 4: And that's why I think the kid has a chance. But as Savannah pointed out, it'll be a pretty good competition between Brock Kaufman and Bbie at the center position.
Speaker 5: So I want to dive into our first round draft pick, Tyler Geiton out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Where are your guys' thoughts on where he is at?
Speaker 5: He was one of those guys that came in two days after he was drafted, came down to Dallas and already started putting in a little bit of work. He has that drive, he has that motivation. What are your expectations for him out here at training?
Speaker 2: Can you know what? And that is a great tease when we come back in just a moment here Producer Supreme, who by the way, like me, is braving the elements of this. You said, sixty three degree, you want a T shirt in a T shirt and shorts over there, And so Producer Supreme says, let's take a break and when we come back, Savannah, you set us up once again for Tyler Geiton, the first round draft pick out of Glahoma.
Speaker 1: When we come back, Miller Lte is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 8: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Reading the script.
Speaker 4: It says less feelings.
Speaker 6: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Never light as in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 9: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams carvers for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Lay Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War, Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped the.
Speaker 2: Press scout who looks right, It's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 4: You'll love full a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this him show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Ton shuts.
Speaker 5: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp preview is now available. This year's edition feature scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp preview today at.
Speaker 3: Your local pro shop or Dallascowboys dot Com slash Star.
Speaker 5: All Right, you guys, I brought up the question Tyler Geiton before we went to break. Now I want to hear from both of you on your expectations from the Cowboys first round draft pick. He came in a couple days after he was drafted, already started putting some work and in Frisco, where are.
Speaker 3: You guys at with Tyler and what do you want to see out of him here at training camp?
Speaker 4: Well, I want to see how quickly he's able to transition number one from right tackle to left tackle. And generally what the Cowboys do with maybe a first round pick like that, they just don't hand them the starting job.
Speaker 6: They make them earn it.
Speaker 4: So if we look at what took place in OTAs in a mini camp Chuma Dooga, they give deference to the veteran guy. He was working with the first team. Geyiton was working with the second team. I'll be interested to see how long that lasts, because I think as soon as he shows that he understands what's going on, he's capable that he moves to the first team at left tackle, and they really need him to step up. Nothing against Tuma, but I think at this point in his career he's a backup swing tackle, and I don't know that you want him out there sixty snaps a game, five games in a row if you can help them.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're giving him a second chance here because that Ta Tuma.
Speaker 6: No, I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Those are more positive comments about Tuma than what I've heard.
Speaker 4: That he's a backup swing tackle.
Speaker 2: You've got him a spot now, Well, you're you're you're actually do have a clean slate on that legal pad.
Speaker 6: You're gonna give.
Speaker 4: Him you know who the who, the who, the opponent or the competition you wait for the backup job.
Speaker 2: Let's let's monitor this as we go along here, and when Micah lines up on Schuma and see what Mickey's reaction is the next day.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you why he's the backup swing tackle.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: That's sort of like backup quarterbacks. You know, you don't find out about usually about backup quarterbacks until they have to play. They're really good as a backup, and then you go out there and play and it's like, oh, so that's why he's not a starter. But I want to see Guyton take over that spot. And they really, I think they really really need him to step up and be ready to go. Now Bill's seen him play more than I have.
Speaker 2: H he looks like, so you can turn the tables on me.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 2: But I'm giving him a clean slate to start off, and and that's you know, he's obviously one of the main guys we need to focus on and see where he is in his development because it's not it's not only I think switching from right tackle to left tackle, and he did play a little bit of left tackle in college, but it is primarily at right tackle. And the school of thought was that, well, we're playing him at right tackle because Oklahoma had a left handed quarterback and Dylan Gabriel, so he's protecting his blindside. But it's still this different technique switching from right tackle to left tackle.
Speaker 6: And but the.
Speaker 2: Biggest thing on him is he's still so young and he he that's what in terms of his football playing experience. Late Bloomer played on the defensive side in at Manor, Texas outside Austin coming out of high school, then goes to TCU and didn't have it was still a developmental thing. He was one of those guys that Gary Patterson made a living off of and his coaching staff of getting guys with potential that can develop it into take a defensive player who can turn into an offensive tackle or whatever and so. And then he got the opportunity at Oklahoma and one of the best offensive line coaches in the college football and Bill Beatnbow who has produced a number of NFL offensive linemen, and so the track record has been pretty good there. And when you've got that to go off of, comparing him to pass guys coming out of that program, then that sets the bar a little bit higher for him, and it needs to be high since he's a first round draft pick.
Speaker 4: And you know, we can say we see what he did in these off season workouts, but until the pads come on, you don't know about offensive linemen. And that's the downside of being an offensive lineman in the NFL these days. You just don't get enough pad work to develop as quickly as you'd like to. And if you think about it, you know, the Cowboys in the nineties made a living out of developing guys that got kind of pushed to the side.
Speaker 2: Right, and.
Speaker 6: Take Nate Newton, who, by the way, is here.
Speaker 2: He made it. He made the long drove it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did it in two days and put his motorcycle in the back of the truck. Oh. Really, brought his motorcycle along too.
Speaker 3: He's going to ride down the coast one oh one.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think he's already did a ride yesterday. Yeah, so, big old Nate's here and we just were at breakfast together this morning.
Speaker 6: But he did it in two days.
Speaker 2: All right, very good.
Speaker 4: But again, he's a guy that was an undrafted rookie by the Washington Redskins. If you can believe this forty one years ago.
Speaker 6: Wow, and it was the Redskins.
Speaker 2: Well, how about thee how about the guy who wound up being the left tackle on those Super Bowl teams for the Cowboys, Mark two and a who was a defensive lineman before switching to offense as well. Now, but but they had time to develop those guys exactly now. The time to develop a Tyler Geydon.
Speaker 6: Is now right now.
Speaker 2: I don't now we see where the where they line up, you know, when the ones come out, when the twos come out, whatever, I don't There will probably be overreaction to it if he doesn't go out there with the first team. Okay, right, but I don't think we should be alarmed by that. It's it's a process. And just because the day one of training camp he's not lining up with the first team and I don't know how they'll line up, But just because he's not doesn't mean that he's not going to be there at the beginning of the season. Or it may be on a month end of the season.
Speaker 5: It could be a slow build up, And as Mickey said, we don't start in pads until next Tuesday's practice, and that's when the real work starts setting in. I mean, you can come out here on the field, you're walking through some of those plays, trying to get familiar with where you're lining up and who you're working around. So Tuesday will be a little bit more of a tell all if you have.
Speaker 4: Right, No, absolutely, And for those guys that get in the work, they need to get in. You got to hit. It's the same thing with the running backs. What do you know about the running backs? Well, until they get tackled. You don't know anything about them. Same thing with wide receivers. Not that they tackle wide receivers when they're in team, but you got the chance of getting hit. Are you catching the ball over the middle or you got you know, alligator arms. So the pads have to come on. And I think the league has done these players of disservice by limiting how much contact they have during training camp.
Speaker 5: And I will bring up the fact that on August eighth is our first scrimmage against the Los Angeles Rams, who will be coming up here. Now I want to hear your guys' opinions on that. Now, that's where some contact starts to come into play. And you're playing another team that you're you know, players on a different side that you're not familiar with, and so you're getting that rep and you're that contact.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about that.
Speaker 5: We haven't had a couple years since we've had a team come out here at a scrimmage.
Speaker 4: And there was a good reason why because there was too much contact on the sideline that year.
Speaker 6: Then there was on the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's what you need. You know, you only have three preseason games now and these guys. The preseason games this year for the Cowboys are gonna be ultimately important because you've got so many young guys that got to show, hey, I can play football, and you don't find that out until it's all out contact. And my reference was to the Rams here when we had a melee out here at practice that one year when the fight broke out on the far field over there. And the funny thing about it, the Cowboys offense was at the one yard line going in and they lined up and Romo's under center, and the fight broke out, and everybody on the Rams ran over there except one player. It was their linebacker, veteran linebacker, and Romo snapped the ball and they handed.
Speaker 2: Off and scored a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Nobody on the other side of the field. Everybody ran over to where the melee was going.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're talking about practicing with the Rams, which is two weeks from today on Thursday, August eighth, and then that's the first preseason game. Is a by the way, a Sunday afternoon game, a three to twenty five kickoff. It's like they're mimicking a regular season and time slot. Okay at the Rams, but just think about how much more are we going to know about this team two weeks from now than what we do right now?
Speaker 9: A lot.
Speaker 3: I feel like we're going to know a lot more.
Speaker 5: We're going to see where guys are starting to be lined up, and you know, like I said, once they get into pads, it starts to develop.
Speaker 3: But you have to almost prepare for that scrimmage.
Speaker 5: You have to know what you're doing and what guys you're going to put into different positions. And I think that's where you're going to see a little bit more of where they're solidifying some positions.
Speaker 4: So Bill, when you're in these preseason games, better take it seriously because these things are very important to the growth of this football.
Speaker 6: Well, this is.
Speaker 3: Taking it seriously, like, oh, it's just preseason.
Speaker 2: Hey, these are this is my time. This is the twenty first year I've done preseason, is it really? Yeah? The first year was Bill Parcells first year two thousand and three, maybe twenty two years actually yeah, twenty three, twenty second year, and that was Tony Romo and Jason Witten's first game or first season with the Cowboys or rookie year, and uh, the first preseason game and Mickey you were in the booth for it too with Babel Loffenberg and me. It was at the Arizona Cardinals. And who was playing running back? Well, he may not have played in that game, but who is the running back for the Arizona Cardinals two thousand three, two thousand and three, rather well known name em Smith? Emmitt Smith.
Speaker 6: That was his first year.
Speaker 2: About that, Yeah, so.
Speaker 6: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: But the thing about the Rams practice is the coaches will look at that as far as, yes, applying it to the regular season, that practice will be more important than the preseason game against the Rams on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Well probably because you you get repeated snaps, you get, you get work that you need, you know, because they basically usually run it like a regular practice.
Speaker 2: You keep in mind also there's a different different head coach with the Rams than what have come here in the past where there have been incidents and now it's Sean McVay. He may not even play starters at that.
Speaker 4: But you know what, that that practice and that preseason game, it's going to be really important to Trey Lance because he's going to get opportunity.
Speaker 2: Oh we've gone five minutes yet, thirty five minutes. I was just waiting. I was not gonna mention Trey Lance. I was going to wait until he just came up in conversation.
Speaker 3: Shall we dive in now thirty five minutes?
Speaker 4: Is that a tease for our final segment?
Speaker 2: We can do that, But thirty five minutes before we mentioned the name Trey Lance. We'll talk Trey Lance. We talk quarterbacks when we come back on mix Shots. Brought to you by Miller Lite.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Museum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 8: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 8: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 2: Hell mindset, we'd like.
Speaker 7: To apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great.
Speaker 9: I'm Vishine Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibly Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 2: The press dowt who looks right? It's not there, he escapes left. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com touts.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys Youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiligne are back Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Campers have the chance to learn technical skills and lessons on teamwork from former NFL players and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Two or three camps are available now. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash camps to learn more and register today. And I actually have.
Speaker 3: A quick little note on these camps.
Speaker 5: We have a free Oxnard, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader camp that they're doing on Sunday afternoon here, and then we have a free youth football camp that is coming here on our practice field on August eleven. So wow, lots of youth football happening in the community out here in Oxnard from the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Which here's the Star Magazine training camp preview that we talked about coming out of the previous break and everything's broken down in here, and the first story is an overview of the team going into training camp and it's really good too.
Speaker 2: By the way, I wonder who wrote it.
Speaker 4: You'll have to get a magazine to find out.
Speaker 2: They got figured it out already. Trey Lance, Yes, okay. When Savannah posed the question to start the show, what are you most looking forward to? And I was on my mind was Trey Lance, but I wanted to save him for a little bit. Okay, but I am really interested to see not only Trey Lance on the practice field, but Trey Lance in these preseason games.
Speaker 4: And not only you, but the team because they just don't know. I mean, he didn't play but eight games during his time in San Francisco. I think he only started maybe four two in each season, and he hasn't played much football, didn't play much football North Dakota's State.
Speaker 2: North Dakosta State, yes.
Speaker 4: Only playing that one year there, and so when they got him, they basically looked at it as a red shirt year and said, Okay, you're going to basically be in quarterback school for the entire season. We're going to work on your technique, your steps, your arm slots. And that's what he did.
Speaker 2: And a lot of that had to do with when they got him. They got him at the end of the preseason, right before the regular seasons, actually the only way you could.
Speaker 4: So there wasn't really an opportunity to get him much work. So he would get snaps maybe with the scout team. A couple times he got snaps with the scout team trying to be Jalen Hurts or a mobile quarterback.
Speaker 6: That they were going to go up against.
Speaker 4: I think he he did a little Jordan Love too when they're getting ready for the playoff game. But he never really got a bunch of snaps with the first team offense. We're going to see that out here, and I think you're going to see him start at least those first two preseason games.
Speaker 5: I think you also have to look at this position quarterback with Cooper Rush and Trey Lance, that's it's a battle, and Trey Lance has all the opportunity to prove that he is the one to step up. I mean, we've seen Cooper Rush and what he can do in the past for us, especially when Dak was injured. But Trey Lance, this is his time to shine. And so I'm interested to kind of chat with him while we're here out at camp and see where his mindset is at. Because you know, you have a lot of time where you're sitting on this roster, you're essentially the third string and you're just kind of around.
Speaker 3: To get that first team reps.
Speaker 5: And to have the time to kind of develop with this group, I think is going to be really key, And where his confidence is at is also going to be very key.
Speaker 4: Well, it's going to be key, you guys, with where it goes in the future because he also, like all three quarterbacks, are on the final year of their contracts. He included, So the Cowboys have to decide at some point, Okay, we would like to keep him for as a backup quarterback of the future. Uh is he a potential starter down the line? Uh, They've got to find that out, and they got to find that out this training camp and this preseason.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned don't be surprised if he starts the first two preseason games. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the third prem.
Speaker 4: That's true too, right, since you only have three And uh, you know what reminded me up last last night? We were in there shooting the bull and telling war stories from training camp, and I remember the year that Bruce Kslet was the offensive.
Speaker 2: Coordinator, Savan. I have a feeling, I have a feeling that for the last seventeen minutes of mixed shots, we might be telling old war stories here just.
Speaker 6: A warning.
Speaker 7: Year.
Speaker 3: What year are we talking about?
Speaker 4: So we got to be around two thousand and two maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, around there Bruce Coslet.
Speaker 4: And Kslet pointed out that in his history he liked to start the backup quarterback in the second game, so instead of Quincy Carter, I think they started Chad Hutchinson, if I remember correctly. And it caused a stir in the media because it's.
Speaker 2: Like a quarterback controversy.
Speaker 6: Yes, right, exactly.
Speaker 4: So I understood what was happening. And after practice we were in the Alamodome I walked off with him and Rob Phillips, I believe it was Rob Phillips.
Speaker 6: Was it Rob with us?
Speaker 8: At that time?
Speaker 4: One of my interns was with me, right and I had forgotten my little handheld tape recorders, so I told the intern turned this on and stay in there.
Speaker 6: And record this right.
Speaker 4: Well, Coslet, when I asked it started asking the question, he jumped a conclusion that I didn't know what he was doing, and he started yelling at me like like, uh, this is what I do and you know, and I was like, I know that, that's why I'm asking. Yeah, well, everybody's asking me. He's yelling and screaming, and whoever had the microphones started here And the next thing I know, he was he was like scared that I was gonna get punched or something.
Speaker 2: Wow, I've never heard that story.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Kslet was he was something else? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you realize at one point they had Jack Riley and Bruce Coslett as their offensive coordinators.
Speaker 2: Explained for the younger generation who Jack Riley is.
Speaker 4: Well, he was a longtime assistant coach. That came to mind last night.
Speaker 2: Well, they talking to speaking about a quarterback controversies the younger generation. Savannah won't won't remember this because you weren't alive. But the quarterback controversies with the Cowboys go date back all the way to even when Roger Stabach was with Roger Staubach and Craig Morton went in, you had Dandy don N Yeah and uh. And then even when Staubach was there, you can get you didn't get Danny White, So you got Danny. Roger had won a Super Bowl by then, and so he had established himself as the starter. But then when Roger retires, and then you get into the eighties, we go and Danny White has success but doesn't get him too the Super Bowl, and so now you get Gary Hogan Boom. And one of the most famous Tom Landry press conferences was leading into the nineteen eighty four season and when he announced that Phil pos Derek would start at quarterback for the Cowboys in the season opener, and Phil Posdreck was, of course an offensive tackle, so there was another there was an offensive tackle controversy going on then, so instead it was Gary Hogan Bloom.
Speaker 3: The circle just keeps on.
Speaker 2: Just brought up Hogan Bloom as what Landry pronounced.
Speaker 4: It, and you just brought up another story to go back.
Speaker 6: I knew it.
Speaker 2: I was just hagging you on that day.
Speaker 4: Of that press conference was the day I came to Dallas to interview for my job at the Dallas Times Herald and the Sports Center. That comes up to me and apologizes. He says, you know what, We're gonna have to delay this for a couple hours.
Speaker 6: Sit tight.
Speaker 4: He goes, we just had a press conference and Tom Landry announced that Gary Hogeboom was going to be the starting quarterback. And our special edition, our football edition for the season, is coming out today and Danny White's on the cover.
Speaker 6: So we're going to have to make a change.
Speaker 4: And he goes, and the worst part it is, I can't find my guy that covers the Dallas Cowboys. Part of the job description that gave me was to be the backup guy covering the Dallas Cowboys. And I'm sitting there and I'm sitting there thinking, well, if I don't call this guy an SOB, I might get this job, because they need somebody to back up the Cowboys when you got a big story like this and you can't find your beat writer.
Speaker 2: So ines I didn't follow all of that but but in essence, Garry Hoganboom didn't last long as the starting quarterback, but Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Has out last a long time.
Speaker 2: It was the starting quarterback. How's a rhyved at ox nud California.
Speaker 4: Nate knox Nard is.
Speaker 6: Here, then you know when he disappeared, I'll be here.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right, So Nate will be joining this show.
Speaker 6: I'm here.
Speaker 2: So we're on Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week at ten am Central time, eight am on the West coast.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then the following week you have to put up with me next week and then the following week Nate will be here.
Speaker 4: I let Nate ghost spot let Nate hosts.
Speaker 3: We'll see about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that does it. I thought we were going to go a full hour, but we're just going here forty.
Speaker 5: Well, everyone has to prepare for our ten thirty Pacific time press.
Speaker 4: Conron Dallas Cowboys dot Jerry.
Speaker 5: Jones, Stephen Jones, and head coach Mike McCarthy on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: You guys, all.
Speaker 2: Right, good start Friday camp in here on Monday Monday eight am Monday eight am o'clock Central Okay, that will happen between now and.
Speaker 4: There, will that a full weekend, all right?
Speaker 2: Enjoy that press conference at twelve thirty on Dallas Cowboys dot com.