Speaker 1: Hey ba fam, Please follow us on Apple Podcasts and keep our audience growing. If your iPhone recently upgraded to iOS fourteen point five, head to Apple Podcasts, search for Brown Ambition and click on the plus button in the upper right hand corner. Do that and you'll be following our show. You can also follow us on Spotify, Stitcher, or the Amazon Music app. And Android users, we didn't forget about you, you can find us on Google podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, hey, I try to say a little cuter cuss. We're back. We're black, We're brown and in living color. Last edition.
Speaker 1: Shit the Marown edition color edition.
Speaker 2: Hey else, Hey, I see well, I mean I'll be seeing you, but like I see you in the world, can see you.
Speaker 1: It's nice to see your face. You look refreshed. You look like your vacation is still sunk into the melanin popping, Like everything is just glowing. How are you feeling your first full week back?
Speaker 2: I'm hot, flashing, just so, y'all though, Like, because so, here's the thing, we are actually like you guys are going to be able to watch us on the on the you of the tubes. Yeah, because we're like I feel like you guys, want to see how we interact, like you know, we frand friends for real, for real And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has nothing to do with Instagram's algorithm favoring video, not at all. We want to do this for you.
Speaker 2: But you will see that I am extra glowing because these damn IVF medicines literally get hot flashed me. So I mean, I'm not going through menopausea, not just yet, but you just gonna see, like there'll be moments when I'm completely dry and moments when I look like who something is glowing?
Speaker 1: I am just from what How do you feel about listening to other women's IVF experiences? Are you just like I'm living it? I don't want to hear it? Or does it?
Speaker 2: Do you like it? No, I'd like to. I'd like to hear just because sometimes you it's nice to normalize because I'm not gonna lie. When I first started hot flashing, I was scared to tell my doctor because I thought she was going to be like, oh my god, you know you're an early menopause. I'm like so I was like guesse, you know, cause it was like it was extreme, like I'd be talking and then all of a sudden, beats of sweat and I'm like it took a couple of days. I'm like, wait, I'm this is hot flash. Oh my god, I'm hot flashing. So I mentioned it when I was like, I was like, I'm not flushing. She was like what. I'm like, come on, and she's like, oh yeah, the mad So I was like what And she told me that one of the medicines that I'm on, that's common that women have, like you know, that reaction. I say all that to say, if I would have heard someone like say, like, you know, I'm listening to my fath podcast pro anhmbition and I heard one of the hosts, Tiffany talk about how one of her medicines had her hot flashing, it would kind of give me solace, like, oh my gosh, I thought it was just me whoo and so like yeah. So, I mean, I honestly like when people share their you know, journey, it helps to normalize it because it feels very abnormal, like you're you know, you're alone in it. No.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I totally agree. I brought it up because I was just thinking about Master of None. It's back on Netflix. Remember, so Master of None is that show by Azizanzari, who's hilarious, but he kind of got into some hot water what I forget now what the scandal was, but he something about a girl he had hit on or really pressed himself upon in a date or something like that, and he was sort of like Mini canceled for a while. So when he brought back Master of None, I say, the road to redemption is paved with the season of Master of None for him, because he completely centralized two queer black women, like he centralized Lena Waite and her partner in this story. And they want to have a baby, and her partner I think her name is, oh, what's her name? Dammit, I forget Renee Alicia. Alicia wants to have a baby. They end up I'm not gonna okay, so spoiler okay, I think I can say it without spoilings. Don't come for me all in the comments. But Alicia ends up doing IVF and there is an entire I don't know how long was that episode, fifty minutes dedicated to chronicling, like one of the most realistic and I don't even obviously I haven't done IVF, but it just anyone who had gone through IVF. I mean, women were just going nuts over this episode because it just was so realistic, and I was gonna say, I don't know if that would be helpful or enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 1: So powerful, and especially for me having not gone through it, I don't want to, you know, you talk about it, and that's really generous of you, but I'm not trying to be like, so what's it like? You know, what did the doctor say? But it really the uncomfortableness of it, especially for a queer woman, you know, trying to do it on her own, and just the conversations and the invasiveness of it, it was really beautiful.
Speaker 2: So yes, when I go, like to the IVF, like you know, to my doctor, I see, like, you know, every type of partnership that you can think of, you know, Like, so I've seen queer women there. I've seen people with their boyfriends, people with their girlfriends, people with their spouses. Even like recently a couple of friends of mine, you know, have hit me up and they were like, Tiffany, I'm having trouble. I think I'm gonna do IVF. I would really love to talk to you and I share it because it can feel like something is wrong with me, And so it was nice for me to know people in real life that I cared about who went through it to say, Okay, I'm not the only one. Like when I found out that the Michelle Obama, I don't know if she did IVF or she did did something called IUI, but basically she needed help with both her kids. I was like, Okay, you know, those stories are important because it really helps to normalize that everything is normal. Challenges are normal. Getting pregnant just like that is normal, you know, having a hard time, you know, getting pregnant is normal. So they're a lot more people have trouble getting pregnant than people really realize, you know, And so I think that, Yeah, no, actually I'm actually looking forward. I want to see it if I'm like, she took those needles real easy, you know.
Speaker 1: No, that's a whole segment. Oh my god. Yeah, well, uh man, that's such a so if y'all haven't seen it, master I've done on Netflix. I really I highly recommend that.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm gonna watch just for that epim.
Speaker 1: Well, another thing that happened today. My financial planner is so good, ol'd Helen. Okay, he sent me, Hey, Helen Enrika and I. We met with her when I was going to launch my business, and that's when she was like, girl, you're gonna be fine. You tenn ext your network. Yeah yeah, yeah. But in that conversation, she had each of us take a risk tolerance quiz. Have you ever done that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's basically if you're going to start investing or just to have an investor and an advisor kind of check in and see is this girl going to freak out you know, when the next pandemic happens, or is she going to keep her cool? And then they use that knowledge to say, Okay, all of the logic says, you know, put the money in the market, you have time to bounce back. But emotionally, you know, what's Mandy's reaction going to be. Is she gonna lose it and she gonna like drive off a cliff or whatever. I was really shocked that my risk tolerance per her quiz was not that high. See sixty eight out of one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put a risk like I know me, I'm eighty, I'm an eighty year old me and me and Superman or you're like we are like we're about to not mar for that money a cash like we.
Speaker 1: So, do you have gold bars under your under your bed?
Speaker 2: I'm like, literally, like Angelie, who say he is friends with Helen, who's my financi advisor, was like, honestly, I need you guys to be boring, like this is the ring. No, but honestly, you seem like somebody who is. I can maybe see you're the husband. Maybe I don't know him well enough, but you seemed like me, but you seem like who is Just like, no, let's go for it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, Yeah, that's kind of the reaction I get when I tell people I'm an introvert. They're like, really, you seem so outgoing. You do the show, you do video, and your tiktoks are anyway. But the thing is, I think this is a really good lesson. I guess naturally my inclination is to be more conservative with my money, but I have trained myself to like understand the logic and to let facts rule my emotions. So I was like, yeah, cool, cool, cool. I get that maybe I'm a little bit stressed, but I still am like ninety percent in stocks. You know, I'm younger than you, so I mean not to rub it in but I was gonna say, but it's taking not even by very much.
Speaker 2: I'm just laughing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I might have time for like one more recession bounce back, but then you but yeah, So so that was a good lesson, and the same thing with being an introvert, Like I don't know, I just taught myself how to be extroverted as needed. But then I know I need to plug myself in after, you know, I put myself out. So for me, what helps me with my being more risky and being so heavy in stocks is having these moments to recharge and plug in by talking to Helen for her to keep my head on straight and also just to check everything, like I try not to check my accounts that often so that I'm not, you know, feeling those ups and downs so much. So just to say, if y'all want a little window into your what you should be working against, like if you're a little bit too conservative with your money, so you know, Helen's note was kind of like, here's here's what we're working with, but uh, let's try to uh let reason overcome, you know, how we might emotionally react to the stock market.
Speaker 2: No, I love that this is just like a random aside, what feels good. I was just thinking about what you're saying about Helen was thinking about Angelie. It just had me thinking about coaches and I thought, oh, you know, since I've been back, I met with my personal coach, doctor Green, and then Zion, my business coach. It was like it felt like such a reunion, Like I'm bad and they're like, my child, do you return from the desert you know where you went to, like like.
Speaker 1: They sent you there right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: So honestly, it was like such a great reunion. Doctor Green was like such a proud mom. She's like, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Even though do you all meet together like the Avengers? Do you just you know we together?
Speaker 2: We should. But it was just like really nice and you know it was honestly, so you tell me this, Mandy. It was a little scary because Zion and I still have work to do. But what prompted me to go to find doctor Green was we had Richard. Now what is the couple we had on i'man and in Christina?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christina and on our Riche journey. We talk about them all the time, I know it.
Speaker 2: So we had them on and the level of joy that they were emanating. I was like, that can't be real. It was a lot in an amazing, joyful way. And I remember thinking, when's the last time you felt like that, Tiffany? And it had been a long time, and it prompted me to say something is wrong. You're not present and you're not connected, not in a way that you used to be. And so I thought I needed a therapist. Remember we used the therapist finder Stephanie, and she was like, actually, it's less about therapy. I think you need more coaching. She connected me to doctor Green. And as I was talking to doctor Green and that was just like she said, Tiffany, you know who you sound like. I was like, no, who. She's like, you sound like our rich journey, like how you describe them to me. She was always like, good it, that's exactly what she said. I was like, that's how I feel. And then she said something scary. She was like, well, you know our time together.
Speaker 1: I was like, so what was she ready to just say you're ready to fly? Did you act real sad, real quick? Were You're like no, no, no, no, no, I'm actually I feel a little pang.
Speaker 2: What I'm yet I felt like you like Stewart from an SNL or no, I know, I know, like what's it like? You know, it's Comedy Central whatever, it's like the Stewart character. It's like this girl man that pretends to be like a baby. He's like, and I can't be forever?
Speaker 1: What are you going to do? Like a check in? You know?
Speaker 2: Well we have one more official because with six months we have one more official chat. And then she said, if you want to continue, what gold do you want to work toward? And I'm like, I'm always here just thinking about like let's.
Speaker 1: Look at weren't you going to like i mean, build a hospital or go to the moon or something last time.
Speaker 2: We talked, you know, but you know, like gold like an internal like you know, and so I honestly don't know like kind of like so I've just been kind of like self checking, like what are some pain points? But I'm curious, you know, I know you said you've done therapy before. Have you ever kind of like outgrown or moved past and said I did it? Or what I came here for I got? And it's like how do I hell do.
Speaker 1: I know? I'm I wish I could say yeah, but no. I mean I never thought of that. I didn't know that was a thing you could do. But I guess coaching is different. You have a specific goal in mind. Therapy, I hope I never outgrow it. I mean, maybe the therapist I'm seeing, but y you know, I saw. I'm seeing a therapist who specializes with the postpartum journey and with new mothers. And I found her through a recommendation through a prenatal yoga studio. So she's perfect for the time, especially the past two years. She's been perfect for this period of my life. Now I can think I'm kind of a badass mom. We spent a lot less time talking about you know, Rio's poops and his feeding schedule and you know, sleeping now than we do about my career and all of that. I call therapy for me, And this is therapy versus you know, your coach. But for me, therapy is like the mental health form of an emergency fund. It's not like I'm going to need that money right now. So even though it feels like do I really need to save that extra hundred bucks, you know I have a pretty decent emergency fund. I continue contributing in the form of that weekly session with her. But when I tell you when I need her, I am so happy that I have stashed away that time with her. I don't have to go find a therapist, get the referrals, you know. And I would say about once every in my life. It's like once every couple of months or something big that we have to talk about. So it's definitely an ongoing relationship for sure.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I'm like really debating whether or not because I don't want to make up something, you know, with the coaching obviously, but I felt like it was so help I honestly not that I didn't think that it would work. I never thought to myself, well, what happens when you feel present and you know how to tap into joy and you know, because I just you just kind of feel like you're just going and then one day you're like, wait, I'm here, and so yeah, I'm just curious for anybody who's listening, BA fan have if you've ever had a coach and you've kind of accomplished the thing that the coach was there to coach you on. You know, I'm going to do some deep diving for real to see if there's anything else i'd like to work on, but I don't want to just you know, just be like I just want to, Hey girl, every Friday.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I'm sure, Like, give it a month, you'll have something like it. But listen, if y'all want some free career coaching, I'm doing that right now. I don't know why did you see that I post on Instagram? I don't know what came over me Friday night. But I'm in the middle of writing kind of an ebook guide. I'm so passionate about helping people be relentless about quitting quitting and moving on to their jobs. And the ebook I'm writing isn't ready yet, but I really want I want to help. I want to. You know, I get messages from our listeners personally because I can tell I've talked about it quite a bit and had I set up a call last week with one of our listeners and we had a really great conversation about where she was feeling stuck in her career, and listen, it's just something that I want to do. I've posted a form. I'm still taking submissions if you want to sign up for a free little career coaching session, and I'm doing it, you know, for free, but I'm also doing it for information. I just kind of want to know what pain points, Like, what is it that's stopping people from not pursuing the highest level that they can attain in their career? And I'm going to call her out real quick, but she said. I was like, so, you know, send me a link to your LinkedIn. And she said, oh that I don't have a LinkedIn. It's like what talk about low hanging fruit LinkedIn? So she seemed a little kick in her butt. But I'm ready to be that kick in the butt for people if they if they need it. So we'll post a link to that form. I think I have to close it. There's already like one hundred people that have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mandy, when are you gonna find the time?
Speaker 1: I'm I'm not accepting all of them. Okay, I'm going to go through and choose some, but I'm going to close the form. I'm going to close the form.
Speaker 2: But honestly, I'm so proud of you. I mean, you know, I know how hard business could be, you know, but you know taking the leave is not easy. And I mean you have a family, you know, you've got bills, even though you know you've made really great financial choices, but still, you know, betting on black and brown. But I'm just really proud of you because it's not a road that many people can manage, not because there's anything wrong with them, but just because it's a lot. It's a lot emotionally. Here's the thing. What's so crazy. Even if the financial returns are amazing, that doesn't mean that you're not having a hard time. Like literally last year, twenty twenty, we had our biggest year yet that's when we crossed over the ten million mark. It was literally one of the hardest years in business that I've ever had because it was so overwhelming. I considered, quite honestly shutting it all down. I was like, who needs a preschool teacher? You know? Like I spoke to my attorney and was like, honestly, if I shut down this business, what would that look like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: That's why I needed the doctor Green and Zion because I felt equally pressed, like almost like this heavyweight was on me. But also I felt like a balloon where you know it's ready to pop and you keep blowing and you're like, is this the one? Is this is this the air that's gonna I literally felt like, Okay, is this the problem that's going to break me? Oh well, maybe the next one.
Speaker 1: We're like the watermelons on TikTok with you. Yes, yes, I like that analogy. Those are stressful for you.
Speaker 2: But it is stressful and so honestly, so I just share all that to say that, Like I think people think that like once in business, once you make money, it's all good. And the truth is the money making aspect, you know, once you get good at it, is one of the easier aspects. There's so many things to manage. There's balance, and there's family, and there's team, and there's mission and vision and and there's you know, there's just so many things. So the fact that you you know, you've you've waded into these waters, girl, you know, and you're doing well. And I'm just like to thrive from the very beginning. And I told you before, like challenges will come be like that's just natural. But to watch you thrive from the very beginning, I feel like a proud auntie, not mine, because you ain't that much younger, our proud older cousin.
Speaker 1: Listen you, I can't tell you how many times you and I start recording you're like, I just woke up from a nap. I was like, going, you're tired, not me. Listen, now I can take naps. You got my I can see my little moon pod behind me. That's where the quality of the naps I take, when I tell you, I just think it's like it's having anesthesia. Almost. Yes, the naps are midday naps are good. I don't know, yes, but the struggle has been real. Let me live some more of this entrepreneur life and maybe I'll find a way to like verbalize all the struggles. But for me, it's mostly just been like there's so many things and it's just like which thing I'm like, do I have adhd undiagnosed? Just which thing do I? So every day it's like a put you you know, get your coffee, sit down, feed yourself, and one thing at a time. It's like sometimes you're so busy, just you know, head down, just like doing the work. But I need to bacon. The one smart thing I've done is try to have designated days for things good. And I need to have like a reflection day where I just kind of look back and then you know, make my little list of questions for the accountant for Helen, for whoever, and just reflect. But I will let you know.
Speaker 2: We don't do We don't do it because I can't just be helpful for the people listening because sometimes I, like I said, I love talking to my like different people that are that are different stages of business, and then also leaning in Like I just reached out to a friend of mine. His name is Rohan. He he's been a business longer than me and his business does better and I was asking him a question. He gave me one little tip that was like life changing. That circle is important having mentors and sponsors and coaches, right, having peers people who are like similar level, and then having mentees. The mentees keep you sharp, like as I'm solving your problem, it's also really helping me to think differently and expand my capacity for challenges. And you know, so it's always I love that loop, like you know, this kind of people who know more than you, people who are similar than to you, and people who are newer than you are. I think that three tiered approach to kind of like your business circle is will really do you well, you know, No.
Speaker 1: I think I need to be more intentional about that circle too, it's I can't. I'm trying to think who's the circle. The circle is there, but it's like when do you reach out and in the right and I kind of just take it, you know, situationally, when there's a situation, I try to find the right person versus having like schedule time for this person and that person. I'll let you know, Well, listen, should we take a quick breaking break and come back and do some boostyrk some boosts and breaks. Let's take a quick breaking right back, y'all, stick around, don't forget y'all.
Speaker 2: We have our questions in a separate episode. You might be like, where's the question?
Speaker 1: Separate EPI ETI on Fridays. Yeah, our new bonus episode on Fridays. So still send us your questions Bronibision Podcast at gmail dot com or hit us up at Brown Ambition Podcast at GEMA. I just said that, or go to Brownivision podcast dot com and ask us anything. There you go, All right, we are back. You ready to boost or break? Mims Tiffany, Yes.
Speaker 2: It's time to boost up break or boost up? Break up? Boost? Oh break, I'm gonna break. Okay, he knows the plan.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: I am literally and figuratively breaking from social media. Okay, I came back on Monday, I didn't really do like, I didn't do any social media, and then Wednesday was my official day back on social got to social lying promptly started to feel anxiety and depression. I was like, Mandy, like crazy. I was like, it took me a wile of reals, I'm like, what is this feeling? You were so happy on Monday, so happy on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Who are you following?
Speaker 2: Now? You know what it was? What I realized is that I'm not following anyone negative. I didn't realize how much I compared myself and then always found myself lacking. So we had a huge milestone. Wooh woo. We just sold just over seventy five thousand copies of Gecko with Money, which is huge. You know, like, twenty five thousand copies in a lifetime is considered a success, fifty thousand copies it is considered next level, and then seventy five well, literally, only a handful of books ever sell one hundred thousand copies every year, and the fact that we're going to sell one hundred thousand by the end of the year is like astronomical. Right, Yeah, normally I'd be like whoo whoop, woop woop. Then I saw a friend of mine whose book came out the same time. She had a plaque that she had already sold one hundred thousand. So all of a sudden, my seventy five looked like whoom. And I was like, but I didn't even recognize that that's what I was doing to myself. Internally goes, oh my god, congratulations for her, but there was this little like, oh girl, but you didn't do it. And I was like, oh, oh my.
Speaker 1: You know, is this your next project for Doctor Green?
Speaker 2: No? Maybe so. But what I realized is that I am my own Nigerian parent. Because whenever you like, as a Nigerian.
Speaker 1: Child, do they have two heads, Tiffany? Is that why they have a best selling book?
Speaker 2: It's a little or like my dad would be like, Daddy, I got in ninety six, m what happened to the other four points? So I realized that I was doing that to myself, and I was feeling really bad about it, even though I was happy for my friends, you know, cause I follow really great positive people, and I thought, like, some people can be on and honestly, that doesn't play a role for them, you know. But I realized I didn't even recognize until I was away that that's what I had been doing. And so I literally came off and said, Okay, there's an issue here. I want to be able to see a thing and recognize it as good, but not use it as a tool to make myself feel bad, which is what I was doing. Even when I saw it, I was like, Okay, Tivy, We're not going to do that the next person. We're gonna just be happy for them. And I'd be happy for them, but still be like it was like a condemnation of like, you know, where I should be. And then two, what I recognized too is that it was so limiting. Since I was away from social media, I've been rethinking and restructuring my businesses and next year is going to be explosive as a result. And I actually came up with this huge disruptive idea for the financial industry that I've never seen before that could really just change the way people navigate in the finance industry, something that none of the big boys have been able to solve for, and I have been solving for it for the last ten years, and I didn't even I just had not named it. And now that I've named it, I'm going to systemize it and scale it so anyway, that idea is huge, right, But I wouldn't have thought of it because social media has me looking that my goal is one hundred because she got a hundred, whereas maybe my book could be doing three hundred. Do you see what I mean? Like, social media will have me set my goal to what someone else's goal is and then stop there and say you did it versus girl, what you had before you was three times as much. And so also too, I'm pulling myself off social media, Like you won't know the difference because I have a team that will run social media. But I just really realized that like for me, at least for now, social media is really not a place for me that you know, it's a place that I need to take a break from because one, I use it as a tool to make myself feel bad and so I fix that we can't go there. And then two it's a limiting tool because it has me set the bar according to someone else's you know, accomplishments versus what I could accomplish fully on my own. So feel free to take a if you want to take a break with me, a collective break from social for a little while, you know, feel free. I'll be over here, you know, just get.
Speaker 1: Follow me on TikTok, don't leave, don't leave. It's fine here with me.
Speaker 2: But do you say, yeah, go ahead? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't do it so much anymore, but I'm gonna everyone's different. Let's say, yes, I had a whole different set of parents, a whole different life experience, and you know, I can't imagine what that must have been. Like my parents were thrilled if I brought home a B. It was myself that wanted those a's. You know, I don't know how I created this like perfectionist out of that, because they really were just like, oh baby, you try hard, classic American American parents. But I will say with social media, I don't know. I think the way that I see it is I feel like I want people to succeed. I haven't always been this way. Obviously, I get jealous sometimes too, and I get fomo too, but I don't know. I'm just so I'm just so good with what's going on now, and it's like I was saying, like, seeing your success it makes me feel what's possible for me. And you know, for me, it's like kind of a flipped scenario where you're saying it kind of limits you. I feel like it helps me see what's possible. And on top of that, yeah, I mean, social media is an important tool for a business. So some people, you know, you can't necessarily turn it away or you have to outsource it. Maybe you're not. I'm not able to outsource mine quite yet. And for me, it's also like my way to consume what other creators are creating so that I can learn from them. But TikTok, Man, what I love about TikTok, and this is why I spend so much more time there than Instagram these days. It is not the highlight reel TikTok for me at least, what they serve me is the reality reel. It is like Mama, like the moms of TikTok, it's we're letting our entire freak flag fly. I mean like it's almost like TikTok rewards. The hotter the mess, the more real, the personal like dysfunction of your relationship or your I don't know, that's that's almost like the community of weirdos on TikTok. I just love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe i'll maybe you know, I never really took a look at it, but I love that, and I could see that because you're right, I see the tiktoks that I see kind of that mostly their ray on over to IG are like me and my boyfriend are going through this thing, or like, oh the baby spit up on me again. So I mean, I don't. I'm still taking just like a break for now, just to and to your point. Maybe I'll bring it up to doctor Green to be like, oh, how do I because I told her that social media can be and she's like, honestly, Tiffany, it very much can be, and it's okay to take breaks away, and not to say I'm.
Speaker 1: Never one thousand percent. It's all all just to say that you just need to be true to yourself. You always have that, you know what's right for you, you know, And so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Really should probably give up TikTok at least. I mean, but the time that when you said you came up with this business idea, I worry about spending so much time consuming other content is less time that I can use to create my own there's a certain limit where it becomes less educational for me and more like maybe you should just be doing your own thing and not sitting here like like you know the face that you have when you turn your camera and all of a sudden on your phone You're like, oh, is that how I'm sitting like with like fortunes and like food on your shirt.
Speaker 2: No, the worst is like when you look at your phone at night, right, and then you do the thing You're like, wow, that's my signals time to go to bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bad. It's bad. Okay, well, thank you for sharing that my brain. My boost is this, So it's a boot. It could have been a break, but it was a boost because I was just actually brand Ambish and we were mentioned in an article and on a personal finance publication, very nice, and I just happened to scan the rest of the article and it was all these different things that you can do to improve your finances this year, and one of the tips was negotiate like a white man. When I did like the eye scrolling version of my eyes screw like tires squealing, I said, what And I actually know the person who wrote it. So I reached out and I was like, I have some emotions about this article. I'd love to talk to you. I could have written a very long email, but I was like, I want to talk, and we ended up having actually a really good, meaningful conversation. So the issue that I told this person about he's a man, a white man, and this tip was well meaning. It was a subhead bold you know, negotiate like a white man. And the excerpt below it was about a woman who I had talked about. What often is said to women in business situations or you know, financial is like negotiate harder, ask for more, where this used the firm handshake. I told him the problem with this headline and for me, is once again we are trying to put the blame or put the onus and put the work on the shoulders of the people who don't have the power in a negotiation. Often, if you're a woman and you're interviewing for a job, for sure, you don't have the information on their end. You don't know the budget, you don't know the dynamics behind the scenes, you don't know you know what's been improved for this role, what's been benchmarked you don't know any of that stuff, and the people who do, they're the ones who have the power to be sure that you're paid what you're worth. But why is it that we kind of put that on women? You know, you need to know your worth, you need to do your research. Why are we working so hard to break into a system that is sexist and racist? Why not focus on the system itself. So I've always been very passionate about, like, dude, train your managers to be aware of their unconscious bias when they're interviewing. Make sure that you have a clear compensation, benchmarking, salary plan, and system and process, because I believe processes and systems are what protect against the human instinct to be an asshole, like to be biased, to be stereotype. You know, I wasn't even saying all this as fortfulity to him. I was, you know, it was an interesting conversation. It was one of those things where it could have been a quick little comment on an article I could have posted like a passive, aggressive TikTok about it or whatever, but I was like, let me talk to him. I think he means well. But it's just these little those that messaging that you get from society that something is wrong with us. Yes, you know that if only we could just be like the magical white man, we would be doing better.
Speaker 2: You know, that is the name of this episode, the magical white Man.
Speaker 1: The mythical magical white Man. And this is why I told this guy. I was like, I said, no, listen. The other problem with this headline is also like it makes it seem like white men are these miraculous negotiators. Yeah, like they are doing something so fantastic, They're so smart, they have no no. I know plenty and I have interviewed plenty of awkward, quiet, passive, shy Menut like these are versions of men too. You know, they're not all walking into offices with the big, hairy you know, handshake and the business suit and you know they've all watched Wolf of Wall Street or whatever that movie was. You know, Like, no, there's plenty of guys who would come in all different shapes and sizes and demeanors and personalities. The fact is white men they just have the benefit of the doubt, and that literally translates to money in their pocket that they did not do anything special or miraculous to deserve. So what do you want me to learn how to do like be a white man.
Speaker 2: I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean. So it's not good advice and it's dangerous and it proliferates just a stereotype and a way of speaking to women that I think has really hurt us. And my boost is because we had a really good conversation and he's going to change. He's going to change the article and he ended up being really open to having that. But he's you know, he was just like, I can see how quickly dashed off a subhead like that, you know, could be could be hurtful and have an impact.
Speaker 2: And no, I love that. I love that boosty and I love that and honestly I love that also I love the break, but I also love the boost. And so I'm glad that you had that conversation people, because sometimes people are not open to feedback and so the fact that he was oping to feedback is oh so good because that means he's going to be mindful moving forward. So we love a feedback feeling.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, thank you. They don't all react that way. So I appreciate you. Shouts out to you. You know who you are. You are well, did we do it? Did we do another show?
Speaker 2: We did it? And if you really love us, you will tell three five friends to listen to Brown and Fish that here you get your life. You get to learn a little bit about business, career, finance and money. You get a little tea about me and Manny's life and how.
Speaker 1: We're man flash sweaty pit moment, my.
Speaker 2: Hot flash moment. That's why I got my little fan. Here you get to learn all the things. Isn't this cute? I got some Nigia.
Speaker 1: I think that is cute.
Speaker 2: I have a family. Like for those of you non vieway, like, if you were watching on YouTube, handhand, you'd be able to see that I pulled out a ration. This is no wait, this is made at a palm. I don't know anyway, It's a beautiful fan that I'm using to fan myself. You would only know that if you were watching us via YouTube. But you know you're missing that if you're not. No, but honestly, like, we would love if wherever you listen to Brown Ambition, you know, share the link, like not just hey guys, listen, but like, honestly, I'd love this episode that think you were talking about that thing you were sharing sis brauh other. You know here, here's a really great podcast that I think is going to relate to you, So share it with them. I think that they would love it in return.
Speaker 1: So at least three people minimum, as you know, three people Amazon, Guy, Door, Dash person like you know you know three people? Yeah, everyone has a parent?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: All right, well until Friday. You can check out our mini qan a episode this Friday. Check it out, rate and review, etcetera, etcetera. You see all then bye