Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Is the news biased?
Speaker 4: Unbiased news?
Speaker 5: Unbiased news? Who just have so much biased news every day?
Speaker 6: Of course the news is biased, differentiate between obtainion and fact.
Speaker 1: We need more objective reporting overall across the board.
Speaker 3: If you are overwhelmed with fear about getting some of this and biased in pure news, there are services that will tell you what news is biased or unbiased, and there are outlets that claim to not be biased at all. Do you think the news is biased?
Speaker 7: Especially it depends like what network you're on, And I think like left wing right we.
Speaker 8: Twenty four hour news network should be illegal and they are biased, okay both sides.
Speaker 9: I think they should just state next exactly.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Fact based news outlets, I think we can call them.
Speaker 5: Mainstream fact based.
Speaker 11: News, responsible fact based news organization.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, just the facts. Why would you want anything else? But you know, it's funny. People are obviously quite aware that the news is biased, but not always so imaginative as to how where do you guys get your news?
Speaker 9: It's kind of sad by I get a lot of my news from social media.
Speaker 8: I normally get my news from Wow. I don't get a lot of news. I don't believe in it.
Speaker 5: I don't believe.
Speaker 12: I'm fascinated by this.
Speaker 8: I don't believe in the news now too much spend.
Speaker 3: There is a general notion that bias occurs when a position on the political spectrum is apparent, which is why if someone has to come up with examples of biased news, they might immediately point to Fox or MSNBC. But people tend to overlook many key ways media can exhibit bias, and so to explore this, I asked people to compare a handful of headlines. He has no shirt on that is psychotic.
Speaker 9: Un rejects resolution calling for immediate ceasefire in Gaza, US blocks resolution calling for seas fire and.
Speaker 10: Gaza so rejects versus blocks.
Speaker 7: Rejects versus blocks because blocks and rejects means the same thing.
Speaker 8: Right rejects is like, uh, we're not going to do that. Blocks is like we're stopping it.
Speaker 4: And un versuss I think this more comes down to your inherent feelings about the UN versus your inherent feelings about the US.
Speaker 7: Maybe like lots of different nations rejected this thing, but US blocks is like, no, it was America.
Speaker 9: Like the whole world doesn't want to come to peace or compromise, or this one makes it seem like it's just the US that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Want to compromise.
Speaker 4: I think you could look at this and the headline. People will post the headline and say like they don't want to cease fire, but the context is they don't want to cease fire given the term of the agreement. This makes it feel more antip from either the UN or the US perspectives.
Speaker 3: What about the added context that if the vast majority of you and nations supported the resolution.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I see, okay, yeah, that makes a big difference when most of them wanted to.
Speaker 7: You're right, they both leave out very important detail, which ten votes against the one hundred and forty five in favor.
Speaker 3: Right, you do not like the idea that you were being a tempted.
Speaker 13: To click at them.
Speaker 5: I don't like that at all.
Speaker 14: Like, if you're crafting a headline because you have a constuctor and the readers that largely agree with your ideas, then people probably like the idea of being you know, incentivised to click on a headline that canfirm their view.
Speaker 3: The headlines I was asking people to compare were both from Fox News and the recent headlines are so important is because more than half of people only read the headlines. But clearly two factual headlines can take you into different directions, which is why just the facts is. Let's say a bit naive, deadly airstrike hits area of Gaza that many have fled to, and historian as al Rod on Twitter offers this edit, deadly Israeli airstrike hits area of Gaza that Israel told Palestinians to move to. Do you feel like one is more accurate, one's less biased.
Speaker 9: The second one is more biased, yeah, the big ones more biased.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The second one is trying to convince you that Israel is killing people intentionally. The first one is more statement.
Speaker 12: In fact, yees, So I mean here you can easily see that in the second statement, they're trying to portray that this was like a very planned move by the Eni governments.
Speaker 7: Both are biased because one is like very specifically obviously implicating Israel and one is like avoiding the implication of Israel.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like the.
Speaker 3: Second one is just kind of sensational for me?
Speaker 12: This news is about the violence that is being spread in the world, So I don't care if it's Israel spading the violins or is the Palestinian spading the oilings. There could be some stages where some Palestinians would have done something bad, and it's not all of Israel doing the strike, and it's not all of Palestinians doing something which might offend is a way. It's just a group of people. So it's important that if you want to go into that news level of detail, then you should be specifying that who has always doing this thing?
Speaker 3: One headline is more appropriate than the other.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think those are important, So.
Speaker 12: Like, I don't know if they actually did that or not. The second one seems to be having an agenda.
Speaker 8: The second one says that Israeli was trying to basically for our people and lead them into a trap and then drop a bomb on them. It's pretty terrific, right, I Mean, that's just a mess over there in Gaza. If both are completely correct, the second one is more appropriate.
Speaker 15: The fact that like Israel told Palestinians to move there, is that true?
Speaker 16: It is.
Speaker 17: Well.
Speaker 3: I would say that there is some confusion about what constitutes sensationalism, namely the difference between a needlessly graphic headline versus a set of facts that just happened to be kind of shocking. But the question of who gets sensational or graphic versus neutral headlines is where a lot of bias comes in. This from the intercept between the La Times, New York Times and Washington Post, the term slaughter was applied to Israelis versus Palestinians sixty to one, horrific thirty eight to four, massacre one hundred and twenty to four, also favoring Israelis. Here's when from the New York Times. The article was originally headlined what we know about Tyri Nichols lethal encounter with Memphis police, and then they changed it later to the questions that remain a year after Tyrie Nichols's death. Do you think they're both representative death is actually from the same article.
Speaker 14: Those are both pretty neutral, I would say both for me, but open ended trying to get you to click on it.
Speaker 4: They're all the relatively passive though. It's like not saying he was killed, it's saying lethal encounter and of death. So both of them are not like that aggressive in the headline.
Speaker 9: And then you mean like both of are both of them kind of like pretty fair, like not too biased way.
Speaker 7: Just framing it as a death versus a lethal encounter with police.
Speaker 8: You know, they're not trying to throw the police under the bus. But at the same time, there's definitely some questions that need to be answered.
Speaker 6: I think I can say, like, that's what happened.
Speaker 10: Yeah, both of them would say.
Speaker 3: The first one mentions that he was killed by the police, and the second one he says he.
Speaker 13: Oh okay.
Speaker 9: I think the first headline has stronger wording, like it makes you feel.
Speaker 18: Something more like get a stronger rise and reaction out of people.
Speaker 7: In terms of the feeling that you get as you're about to read it, totally different.
Speaker 8: I would say the questions that remain are probably a little more biased.
Speaker 3: The people I spoke with were basically a generally aware that everyone has biased. Obviously, the goal is for accuracy and to inveay a story faithfully, but to get rid of bias, for the most part, not entirely possible. However, a few people I spoke with did seem to be quite sensitive to the idea that a certain headline might be attempting to seduce them into clicking by eliciting emotion, or that a certain headline was sensational. But what certain people think they're looking for is actually the esthetic of neutrality, I would say, because writing a headline about crime but leaving out the perpetrator of the crime is not to achieve neutrality, and a piece of news has an emotional impact that doesn't preclude objectivity. Sometimes a story is just shocking, and if a story is shocking, there is no reason to neuter the details so to produce an emotionless headline. But that being said, I am biased and that will do it for me. My name is Spencer Snyder. If you've found this video interesting, make sure you are subscribed to Breaking Points. You can also check out my YouTube channel where I talk all about media and politics. Link in the description Liking and sharing always helps Thank you to Breaking Points. Thank you so much for watching it. I will see in the next one.
Speaker 18: I never found my people, I never found my place, and finally I landed and I found my friends, and being here in Israel is just a life changing experience to finally land where I was supposed to be.
Speaker 15: Always the people, the experiences, and just like the joy that we had on this trip, I'm gonna cry. It's like I've never had such a meaningful yet fun experience in my entire life.
Speaker 19: Founded in nineteen ninety four by Charles Bronfman and Michael Steinhardt in cooperation with the Israeli government, Birthright Israel or simply Birthright, is a free ten day heritage trip to Israel, Jerusalem and the Golden Heights for young adults of Jewish heritage between the ages of eighteen and twenty six. The purpose being to strengthen diaspora jes connection to Israel and increase a sense of Jewish identity. But can a free trip really be free?
Speaker 11: A ten day trip to Israel with flights, food, and a ton of instagrammable moments all for free, you may have heard of Birthright Israel, the all expense paid adventure to the Holy Land seems too good to be true, right, there has to be a catch, but there isn't one. You're not going to be roped into long boring religious seminars or be told what to think about the Israeli Palestinian conflict.
Speaker 7: And if not, now is targeting Birthright into campaign urging the group to and it's words, tell the truth about the Israeli occupation.
Speaker 10: Not to learn about Israel.
Speaker 17: You going to learn about Palestine.
Speaker 6: This is dr either Julian, this is Mike Dodgery, and I'm not leaving it anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's going to be away from Earth.
Speaker 3: They specifically banned trip organizers from planning trips that involve meeting with Israeli Arabs.
Speaker 17: There's both on this tripe, questions on trying to engage, and we have not been able to do that.
Speaker 20: And as a result by us, who can be based Birthright.
Speaker 21: And what it does by refusing to discuss show the occupation or even allows to hear from Palestinians, what it's really doing is hiding the occupation from young American Jews like myself.
Speaker 19: Birthright is funded in large part by the Israeli government, along with support from influential donors like the Adelson, Blavatnik, and Craft families of the world, and with such significant backing from Israel and organizations known for their deep ties to Zionism, one has to wonder whether the experiences of young Jewish adults on birthright trips are shaped more by the vision of these benefactors than by a neutral exploration of Israel and of the Jewish heritage and identity.
Speaker 13: So birthright and name alone is fucked like it's really problematic, right, because what it's essentially saying is these diaspora Jewish youth who have never been to Israel, who may have no family in Israel, have no genetic ancestral ties to Israel, can decide to go on a trip that says this place is your right by birth, you deserve to be here, you are welcome back. Meanwhile, Palestinians who have been displaced from the land that is currently occupied have no right of return.
Speaker 19: Joining us today to provide her insights and perspectives about birthright is Katie Bogan. She is a doctoral student in clinical psychology at the University of Nebraska and a prominent voice in the anti Zionist Jewish community.
Speaker 20: Welcome Katie thank you so much for having me. I'm really delighted to be here, all right.
Speaker 19: So I think the first place that I want to start is maybe your upbringing as it relates to Judaism Zionism. How are you raise? What ideas, values, beliefs did your parents try to instill in you just as a baseline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so. I'm the granddaughter of a Holocauster. My grandfather Stash and his sisters Helen and Vella survived the Holocaust, but they were the only three people in their family to do so, and they were liberated in nineteen forty five and then spent several years in Germany before migrating to the United States in nineteen forty nine. And so even during that migration process, my grandfather and Helen were given the option to settle either in the United States or to receive a plot of land and a stipend and moved to Israel. And they chose the United States because they had community already here. So it is sort of by the flip of a coin and by a decision made you know in nineteen forty nine that I am here instead of in Israel. And when I was growing up, my family is an incredibly Zionist family. They really imagined the state of Israel as this land that offered salvation to my grandfather and his siblings after a deep, immense trauma. And so I grew up hearing, as many Jewish youth do in the United States, at every passover theaer next year in Israel. That really strengthened my tie to this like imagined savior space of Israel, this like glittering land where I would never have to face any anti Semitism. So Israel existed to me absent the construct of Palestine until I was about eighteen, and that is when my Zionist on learning process began and I started to build my more liberatory pro Palestine politic.
Speaker 19: So that leads to my next question, which is what did you know about Israel about Palestine prior to going on birth right? Sounds like you did some exploration beforehand.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 20: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I had friends and family who had begun going on birth right when I was about sixteen or seventeen, and then I started college and learned about Palestine as an occupied land in an occupied state, and I started asking the question, folks who were returning from Birthright, what did you learn about Palestine while you were there. And I remember one of my close loved ones, who I know is sort of a solid progressive, came home and said, oh, do you mean the terrorists?
Speaker 20: And that gave me such pause.
Speaker 1: I had never heard her use language like that before, and I said, no, that's certainly not what I meant. So before I went on birth Right, I wanted to make sure that I had a solid foundational working knowledge, at least of the region. And I also wanted that learning to be balanced. So I took four different courses on you know, relevant topics suffering and evil in the Jewish experience, Jewish tradition, Middle East politics, and Arab Israeli conflict. And these were four university level courses. And I was also studying to get a BA in political science with a focus on comparative politics. So I took other coursework on apartheid systems and heard, you know, the comparisons between is in South Africa. And so by the time I finished my college coursework and was prepared to go on Birthright, I already was staunchly pro Palestine.
Speaker 20: I had been in.
Speaker 1: The human rights literature and the genocide and apartheid literature enough to know where my values stood on this topic. So I went on Birthright very prepared to rabble rouse and Row's rabble.
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 6: Right well.
Speaker 19: So what was your experience, like, what did you see there? What conversations were had. I have seen some reports testimonies of people who spoke out against their trip leaders, and sometimes they were dismissed kicked off the trip. So what did you do to try to challenge the endorsed narrative on your trip? It sounds like that's something that you did.
Speaker 1: Yes, I tried to approach with a lot of pointed curiosity. My tour guide was a veteran of the Second Lebanon War and claimed objectivity. And his name was Iol and he would always talk about how he was sort of an objective commentator on.
Speaker 20: The politics between Israel and Palestine, and.
Speaker 1: So I would ask, how does your role as a veteran impact that objectivity? Can you talk about the water crisis? Why is it that Israel has this world famous desalination technology and can access clean water and they're not sharing that technology with Kaza, who's isolated on this strip.
Speaker 20: Can you talk about settlements?
Speaker 1: How are Israelis justifying settlements in the West bank, when Palestinians live on so little land. And then even when we were on this trip, there were these kind of sleight of hand distraction tactics where it would be on the bus and they would say, if you look out the right side of the bus, you'll see these beautiful groves and orchards, and I would immediately go to the left side of the bus and see what they didn't want us to acknowledge. And those were essentially the shanty towns that Arab Israelis were forced to live in, these really impoverished regions that they just didn't want us to recognize because it was a visual representation of the inequity that is worked into Israeli society and sort of the way they treat Arab Israelis or non Jewish Israelis.
Speaker 19: I'm curious when you did bring some of these things up to the trip leaders, what would they say.
Speaker 20: I got a.
Speaker 1: Similar oh, you mean the terrorists or oh Hamas's response, And that's I think something that actually made me quite angry and frustrated. When I was on the trip and I said to AyL in front of some other people, you have a group of impressionable young adults eighteen to twenty six year old adults who are hearing you repeatedly make the comparison between Palestinian civilians and terrorists, Palestinian civilians and hamas, which is one small representative group, not.
Speaker 20: The whole of Palestine.
Speaker 1: And he would sort of get defensive and try to pivot or talk about something else and sort of wave me away as a rabble rouser, and tried to speak to me on the trip one on one several times about sort of where I had learned the information that I was sharing with other students, and I talked about my coursework with him, and afterwards he reached out to me trying to encourage me to make Aliad to become an Israeli citizen. It's like, you're a critical thinker, you clearly care very much about politics. Essentially, we could use you come join us and all of this more political discourse, it isn't even getting at the subtle eugenics and military mission. It seems to me of birthright trips. When we go on these trips, there are a group of Israeli soldiers who join us. They pick like the sexiest, most alluring, young hot soldiers to come on this trip. With you and then wind up having these machinations so that these Jewish diaspora youth can spend time alone with these sexy Israeli soldiers and they'll say, you know, maybe you all will fall in love on this trip, maybe you'll meet your soulmate. And I remember, even on the trip that I attended, there were two Israeli soldiers who clearly were into each other. Like they were they very much had a vibe. And someone made a joke on the trip, one of their one of their fellow soldiers, saying, you have to save yourselves for the Americans, basically clarifying that they were there to seduce us not only you know, literally physically emotionally, but seduce us into kind of the sexy, glittering promise of the state of Israel and of Zionism.
Speaker 19: That okay, that's I haven't heard of that situation. It didn't come up in the research I did or in the promo video for Birthright. So you're saying part of the mission, because I was one of the questions I was going to ask, is Birthright is in part funded by Israel, but it's also in large part funded by these Zionist organizations. And wealthy families in the US. So part of like, what do you think the true objectives are of the people who fund this trip? What are they trying to accomplish in addition to maybe what you alluded to, which is or encouraging Americans to move to Israel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think some of the goals of the trip are revealed by the age limits. The lower age limit for attending is eighteen and the upper age limit is twenty six. These are people who are likely reproductively viable, who would have plenty of time to fall in love with in ISRAELI, get married and have babies, who are likely of an age bracket where they are able to commit to conscripted service and will be able to serve with their bodies for the Israeli occupation.
Speaker 20: For uce, I will not call it the IDF. I'm sorry, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: And I really think if this were about sharing Jewish culture and just having people make ali yah on building the population of Israel, there wouldn't be this stringent age limit that there is. And there's a limit for going on birthright if you've been to Israel before for any longer than three months. So not only do They want these young people to go who could get married and make Jewish babies or who could you know, provide service to the IOF.
Speaker 20: But they want folks.
Speaker 1: To not have a significant background on the state of Israel or to have spent much time there before they attend, which I think also speaks to the potential brainwashing, like the socialization effort that is being made by these Zionist organizations and funders.
Speaker 19: Yeah, that's disturbing to hear, and I want to maybe try to give a balanced perspective. Was there positive? Were there positive parts of the of the trip?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think in terms of connecting me to my faith as a Jewish person and to my religion as a Jewish person, it was stunning. My father is a single father. My mom is Irish Catholic, but my dad is Jewish, and my dad raised.
Speaker 20: Me as Jewish from being a small child.
Speaker 1: But because I grew up in a Hassetic Kabbad and my lineage, my Jewish lineage is patrilineal, I wasn't able to convert. And the hbbad was fairly conservative in terms of its gender politics and didn't feel like a good match for me, So I didn't have a bot mizvah when I was growing up, and when I was on birthright. They provided everyone on the trip the opportunity to have a name Mitzvah. So I wound up being bought mitzvah at the wall in Jerusalem, having this beautiful spiritual experience and crying with other folks who were making their conversion process more official. And that was a profound, heady experience of just not like this is my transition to Jewish adulthood and now I have committed to being a Jewish woman for my life.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think this is really important to discuss, and I do want to touch I know we've touched on a lightly anti Semitism that you brought up, because I think it is a very real thing, not only in the US but all of the world. Although I do think there is a little bit of danger in that that term is being thrown around I think a little too haphazardly right now to mean much of anything. It's in danger of kind of just meaning nothing. So I'm wondering what your personal I know you touch on it when you're a kid, but what has been your personal experience with anti Semitism and what do you think should actually be done to combat it.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, one example is when I was living in Rhode Island, I spent a lot of time as a grassroots organizer with the group Never Again Action, which is a Jewish youth group, community organizing group meant to prevent any kind of identity based violence, and so I was protesting ice detention facilities in Rhodeland. I was at counter protests against the Proud Boys when they came to Rhode Island, and the starkest experience of anti Semitism I ever had was members of the Proud Boys sharing my contact information on Stormfront, the White Pride worldwide website and dosing me. So they called my cell phone and told me that they were going to come to my home. They had my home address. I had to, you know, contact police and have a patrol car on my street for several days because the threats were legitimate and threats to safety. And I think there's a conflation happening here between the violence of language and actual threats to safety. I don't believe that the statement from the river to the Sea, Palestine will be free is inherently violent that to me implies a right of return full humanity and enfranchisement as political actors for Palestinians who choose to return to their homeland, a secular state where folks can exist with equal rights, regardless of their religion and regardless of their ethnic background, and a deconstruction of ethno nationalism in Israel Palestine. That to me is a beautiful mission. It is not a threat of violence.
Speaker 19: Yeah, before we go, I want to try to do maybe a little thought experiment if you can try to straw man for us the Israeli perspective specifically. I know that you're a huge advocate for the LGBTQ community. So one of the arguments that I've heard a lot is they meaning Hamas, or you could argue Palestine or the Arab world in general, their religious extremists. Israel, we're the ones that want peace, but every time we've offered peace, they refuse. We are the only liberal democracy in the Middle East. If you, as a queer person, try to go to Gaza or what was I guess? Once Gaza, you'd be persecuted. So despite all of these civilian deaths, you'd be a fool not to support Israel. What are your thoughts about this particular argument? Is there a case to be made here?
Speaker 20: Oh No, I think the argument is absurd.
Speaker 1: I so, first of all, that wholesale races the safe existence of queer Palestinians and queer housms. There are absolutely Palestinian organizers who are queer and who are advocating for the liberation of queer community. And if you are in a position where you are being mass murdered, where you are being exterminated, and you are fighting for your life, what space do you have cognitively, emotionally or literally to advocate for queer liberation. I also think Israel is not a liberal democracy. It's an ethno nationalist state. There are citizens there who do not have the same rights because of their race, ethnicity, in the way that they're born. There have been efforts eugenics efforts in Israel to stop, for example, Ethiopian Jews from reproducing, and this was admitted by the Israeli Minister of Health in twenty fourteen. Any of those behaviors stop Israel from really being considered a legitimate liberal democracy. And I do think this concern of if we allow Palestine as the right of return, or if we come to the table and try and negotiate, they're going to want to wipe all of us out. That is projection because we did that because Jews and Zionists and Israelis came to Palestine and exiled seven hundred thousand people and have slowly been enacting violence, and we are worried about retribution. People are concerned that they will do to us what we did to them. There's been this sort of post Holocaust embodied violence of do unto others what has been done to you, and that I think really takes Israel off the table as a liberal democracy. And this argument that that Palestine is the aggressor off the table as well.
Speaker 19: That's a I think a compelling argument. And I just want to thank you for sharing your perspective. I learned a lot in this short conversation. So for those who want are interested in hearing more of your perspective, where can people find you?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely so. I am on Instagram at k dot w dot bogan just first initial, middle initial, last name, and I'm on TikTok as at sexuality Scholar. My academic research is on sexual functioning outcomes among survivors of sexual abuse and trauma. So if you're interested in my work there, I would say follow me on sexuality scholar, but I talk about my from Palestine politic and being sort of zionis critical on both platforms.
Speaker 19: All right, everybody go follow Katie. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your perspectives with us today.
Speaker 20: Thank you so much. It was lovely to chatting with you.
Speaker 19: That is it for me this week. I hope this conversation was as helpful and informative for you as it has been for me. If you enjoyed it, I highly encourage you to check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel fifty one forty nine with James Lee. Of course, keep on tuning into Breaking Points, and as always, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 5: All Right, I'm Maximilian Alvarez. I'm the editor in chief of the Real News Network and host of the podcast Working People and This is the Art of Class War on Breaking Points. On Wednesday of this week, Sean Fame, the reform president of the United Auto Workers who led his union through last year's historic stand up strike at Ford General Motors and Stilantis, formerly endorsed Joe Biden for president in the twenty twenty four general elections. On behalf of the union, which represents three hundred and ninety one thousand active members and more than five hundred and eighty thousand retired members. Fame famously refused to endorse Biden or any other candidate last year, warning that the union's coveted endorsement would need to be earned, especially when it came to how candidates responded to the autoworkers' strike in September. In October, but Fein's endorsement of Biden and Biden's subsequent acceptance of that endorsement was greeted with defiance from a contingent of rank and file UAW members who argue that with this endorsement, the union is contradicting its own stated support for an immediate, permanent ceasefire in Gaza. Endorsing Joe Biden for president. Joe Biden, a self proclaimed Zionist whose administration has been the number one military, financial, and political supporter of Israel's genocidal assault on Gaza and its ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, is a clear and blatant contradiction that undercuts Fanes and the uaw stated commitment to quote standing for justice across the globe. And some UAW members took direct action to disrupt Biden's address to the union on Wednesday in order to hold the union leadership to their own words. Here is cell phone video from the action, which workers shared with us.
Speaker 19: No matter what that was, it should be.
Speaker 5: For this Breaking Points exclusive edition of the Art of Class War, I got to interview three of the union members who disrupted by the speech on Wednesday, less than one hour after they were dragged out of the event by secret service. I sat down and spoke with Shahinas Ganeed, Nicki Thomas, and Johanna King Slatski of UAW Local twenty seven to ten. Here's our conversation, which we recorded from the Real News studio here in Baltimore.
Speaker 10: My name is Shahuanas Ganea.
Speaker 9: I am with UAW Northeastern University, Organizing and Higher Education. I am a fourth year jd PhD student in criminology and criminal justice and we just want our election back in September.
Speaker 10: So we are new to the UAW.
Speaker 17: And hello.
Speaker 6: My name is Niki Thomas. I am also at Northeastern University with Jenny UAW as a higher ed organizer. I'm in the bioengineering department. If anybody cares.
Speaker 17: I'm Johannah. I am a fifth year PhD candidate and teach as well at Columbia University. I'm getting my degree in English and Comparative literature, and I'm a member of UAW Local twenty seven ten.
Speaker 13: Awesome.
Speaker 5: Well again, can't thank y'all enough for making it on this call. We are recording this on Wednesday, literally one hour after you know, the UAW President Sean Fain endorsed President Joe Biden in the twenty twenty four elections. On behalf of the ua W and y'all were there at the event in Washington, d C. Along with other union members, making a statement protesting demonstrating in the midst of this event calling for an immediate cease fire, demanding that the UAW you know, continued to hold President Biden in his administration accountable for their complicity in continuing to support the ongoing genocidal violence in Gaza. I wanted to just ask, since we are lucky enough to have the three of you on here, if we could just go back around the table and have y'all give our viewers and listeners a play by play of what happened today from start to finish yes.
Speaker 9: So I want to give the broader context first that a group of us within the UAW has formed called Labor for Palestine UAW Labor, UAW Labor for Palestine, and we have been organizing and particularly during this UAW conference, the CAP Conference, around more actions related to pushing our elected officials to support a ceasefire. So the UAW had already passed internal resolutions and we knew that the international Executive Board, including President Sean Fain, supported a cease fire in Palestine, and now it was time for us to really show that. We wanted to make sure that our political endorsements were going to align with that.
Speaker 10: So that's the context of the broader week.
Speaker 9: We got about one thousand signatures in the span of from Monday to now so three days from our members seven fifty at this conference, and then many members sent the link to the petition back to their own home units as well, and we got signatures that way and throughout the conference. We have been demonstrating every time that someone has gotten on the stage who doesn't want to talk about the issue, we've erupted in chance of ceasefire. Now we did this with Bernie, we did this quite a bit. We're lobbying on the hill as well to get our elected officials to support a permanent, not just a temporary ceasefire. And we spoke to the International Executive Board because there was a lot of rumors going around that were going to endorse Joe Biden even though he has still refused to align himself with the uaw's position on a permanent ceasefire, and we felt and the members who signed on to that.
Speaker 10: Petition felt that that was not okay.
Speaker 9: That the UAW really need to stick to our values and stick to the statements that we had made and that President Sean Fain had made that we weren't going to just hand out endorsements to politicians. They needed to get in line on the issues that labor cares about, and ceasefire is an issue that labor cares about. So we stood up today because the International Executive Board did not listen to us and did not listen to its membership and went ahead to endorse President Biden.
Speaker 10: Anyways, we stood up.
Speaker 9: We had a Palestinian flag that said UAW Labor for Palestine. We started to chance ceasefire now while having our fists up with a solidarity fist and we were immediately rushed by Secrets Service agents who grabbed us at some point, anywhere from between half a dozen to a dozen were surrounding us.
Speaker 10: And dragged us out in a line.
Speaker 9: As we were still holding onto the flag, trying to rip the flag out of our hands, they.
Speaker 10: Knocked two of our members over.
Speaker 9: They tried to knock me onto the two of them while they were on the floor. You can see that in the video with me trying to like push back against the person who was holding me and who was trying to push me onto the other two that are sitting here next to me, and we were ultimately dragged out of the conference hall and removed from the floor that it was happening on the in the conference hotel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was a pretty good summary of everything that happened.
Speaker 10: There's not much to add on.
Speaker 6: Though, I will say you will probably see like maybe different statements about how other UAW members chanted.
Speaker 9: Over us while we were chanting.
Speaker 6: And I definitely think we've talked to a lot of people actually at this conference over the last few days who have come up to us and have been supportive on a personal level, but when it comes to this, they seem not ready to publicly come out in support in the way that we did today, and I think a lot of it has to do I'm sure we'll get into this later, but I think a lot.
Speaker 10: Of it has to do with fear.
Speaker 6: Like our politics these days are all about fear. The Republican Party runs on fear, the Democratic Party runs on fear, and there's a big there's a lot of talk within the UAW about fear of losing their jobs, fear of what's coming next, and so I think this is a reflection of that. But I am extremely disappointed, especially since it's coming off of multiple speeches by President Sean Fain that seem to say the exact opposite of what happened today and what President Biden was saying today, And if I'm being quite frank, very disappointing considering this morning, Rashida Tulib came and spoke with us as well and spoke to our membership about what it meant to her.
Speaker 10: So that's all I had to add on that.
Speaker 17: Anyway, I think it's it's hard because being here, we just walk around with the Kafia and people come up to us and say like, thank you for doing this. Like so many people here are behind the ceasefire demand. It's like it's it's a really warm, amazing atmosphere and people are like fired up about this, and I think, you know, it's true, there's a kind of UAW members are known for being fearless, but there's a there's in moments, a culture of fear that we haven't gotten rid of yet. And so I think, I mean, I don't want to speak for all three of us, you guys can chime in, but I think that we're trying to show the that you don't need to be afraid to send up to power and kind of present another positive option, a positive vision that isn't rooted in just like being afraid of consequences and letting that determine everything. Of course you have to make a political calculus, but it doesn't have to be rooted only in fear. It can also be rooted in a promise of a better world. And that's what we're really to create.
Speaker 5: Yes, right, I mean, you know, as as we mentioned in the introduction to this segment, I mean, at the time that the United Auto Workers formally signed onto the call for a ceasefire in Palestine, they were the largest union to do so, only replaced this week by the Service International Employees Union SEIU Service Employees International Union, who have also put out a call for a permanent ceasefire. And as y'all mentioned, like Sean Fain himself, you know, has been you know, really at the forefront of the labor movement speaking out against the violence in Gaza, the US support of it, And yeah, how could it not undercut that message to then kind of turn around and endorse Joe Biden, the self proclaimed zionist President of the United States of America, who has shown no signs really at all of ending the US the continual US support for the very genocidal violence that the union was calling to end. So I wanted to sort of ask about that, right because I think one question folks will have, and especially given the fact that the United Auto Workers is not only you know, representing workers in the auto industry, but as you three are are living proof of UAW has expanded to a number of other industries, including higher education, where it has a strong foothold and a number of universities around the country, and that's an important part of the union's membership as well. And I can admit vision folks watching this and trying to sort of pit that side of the UAW against you know, the traditional blue collar you know, roughneck sort of industrial workers side in the auto manufacturing side of the union. So I wanted to ask if you could comment on that, if the folks who signed the petition who have been coming up to you represent the other sides of the UAW, and if you wanted to mention that for viewers and listeners, and also if we could just go back around the table one more time and sort of, yeah, talk about why this was so important to you all as union members, as workers, and what your message is to folks out there who are in a union or you know, who are not, about why they should get involved in this fight and what they can do to push for a cease fire and to end this madness in Gaza.
Speaker 9: Well, I think my answer will hopefully respond to both of your questions. I think to start off, we want to really fundamentally reject the idea that this is some sort of higher ed workers versus blue collar workers or versus auto workers.
Speaker 10: Type of dynamic.
Speaker 9: The people that have that are at this conference and that have been coming up to us and supporting US have covered all the industries that the UAW represents, including people who are on the assembly lines for defense companies and are making some of the weaponry that the US is sending to Palestine currently or to Israel actually.
Speaker 5: To sending to Israel to use.
Speaker 16: Only those workers are extremely interested and have been talking to us about ways that we can figure out a just transition for the defense industry in this country so that we can keep those good union jobs but stop using the US defense industry as a way to oppress and.
Speaker 9: Call and ize other countries or in this case, to help another country colonize another country. So I want to say that it's all parts of the UAW membership that are on board with this, and this is not a higher.
Speaker 10: Ed only issue. I'd also say that.
Speaker 9: A big part of why this is a labor issue is not just because of international solidarity. We've had calls from trade unionists in Palestine to stand up in solidarity with them, and I think people have heard that, but also because here in the US, workers, not just US, other industries as well, have been facing a lot of pushback from their employers when.
Speaker 10: They try to speak out.
Speaker 9: Even the most sort of mild level of support of Palestine, any even vaguely anti Israel statement is being used by employers at this point to suspend people, to fire people in various ways, not just at our campuses where we're employed, but in different industries as well.
Speaker 10: And so I think that part of.
Speaker 9: That fear, as my comrades were saying, is what is motivating people to really be concerned about voicing the support that they've privately shared with us out into the world. I'd also want to name respectability politics as one of the things that maybe had contributed to people shouting uawuaw in response to our calls for ceaspire now, because every other time we did it at this conference, people were in extreme amounts of support and we're coming up and congratulating us afterwards. But after this particular instance, we had the uawaw chance and then we had people coming up and say, did you know you just.
Speaker 10: Disrupted the president? Did you just know that you disrespected the president?
Speaker 9: I think this idea, even though we live in a democracy, even though we have free speech, some people still hold onto this idea of treating our politicians like they're almost like royalty, that we have to show this particular amount of deference to and we're rejecting that.
Speaker 10: We're saying the UAW has power.
Speaker 9: Right, Joe Biden would not have come to the UAW looking for an endorsement if workers did not have power in this country. We do not need to cow down in fear. We need to stand up together and show that workers across this country support a free Palestine and support a permanent ceasefire. Right.
Speaker 6: I definitely agree with everything that China has just said. And just to add on to that, because I know you also asked about like what can we do a lot of these conversations that we've been having actually all boiled down to.
Speaker 10: Just awareness and education.
Speaker 6: Like a lot of the conversations I've been having people they don't know all the information maybe that we know about what's happening in Palestine or even the history of the conflict, and so a lot of the conversations that we've been having have just been going over some of that basic information. And every single person I've talked to once i've done that, like go, wow, I didn't realize I didn't know. And so I think when it comes to other unionists trying to do similar kinds of movements in their unions getting their unions to caller seas fire. I think people really have to spend a good amount of time on speaking with their fellow union members and educating them on the truth because the only thing that they get to see is what American media shows them, and as we all know at this current time, it's full of propaganda and lies and they've never even.
Speaker 9: Heard the other side of the story.
Speaker 6: So I think that's going to be really important for us even moving forward, that educational aspect of it, because I think once people realize what's actually going on, that's when they really start standing behind us. Like there were people I talked to over multiple days who on this last day came up and said, hey, we just signed I just signed your petition. And just to clarify, the petition that we have specifically is asking for uaw CAP to not endorse or fund candidates.
Speaker 10: Who have not called for a ceasefire.
Speaker 6: So while what we saw there was like people chanting over us in the background, we are still actively working to make some kind of essentially BDS happen within our union.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I think that was all great, and I guess I want to add, like anybody who came here to this conference will know that there is no division in UAW between the different industries. This is such a space of warmth and solidarity, and people know what our views are because we've been walking around with the Kafias the entire time. We all have ceasefire badges on our stickers. We gave out stickers. People are wearing these all over the place, by the way, like all people are just it's like you just walk around and you hit five people with a ceasefire sticker. It's everywhere, right, And we've been chanting, getting up in speeches like there are a million opportunities and people people know.
Speaker 10: That we're in higher D too.
Speaker 17: There are a million opportunities for people to you know, say something untoured about us or to us. Doesn't happen. We're only getting thank you, thank you for doing that, Like how can I be part of it? We handed out flyers. We literally ran out like three or four times of people asking for links to the petition or our website. Joined the movement like this is a big grassroots movement and people here interested and excited about it. The only thing is you know, convincing people to move past this initial anxiety that they're still working through of like what can I do when I'm in a room with the President of the United States and he stands for something different. You know, we have to show people know it's safe to do this. You can you can take action to fulfill your vision for a better world. But they share that vision. And I really I see our movement growing every single day. The fact that we need to get like nearly a thousand signatures in the space of a couple days. When we're like all sleep deprived and barely coherent and we're writing a petition, that's like, that's incredible. That's a sign of people being like fired up. And I know there's gonna be some some change in UAW as long as the leadership follows through their values and listens to their members.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: If I could add on really like likely to that, even because we've been chanting actually for the entire conference, even right before President Biden came out, people knew we were gonna, like our members now, we were gonna everybody knew. Yeah, we had, like I want to say, at least like seven different people approach us before to like thank us, offer us support.
Speaker 9: They knew they were like, if you get arrested.
Speaker 10: We're here for you. Like that all happened right before.
Speaker 6: So even though like it may seem like we have a division, I really don't think.
Speaker 10: I don't forceive it that way.
Speaker 9: We're holding up the solidarity fist.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 17: It was hard to say, but because it got blocked by secrets, we were we.
Speaker 10: Were not alone.
Speaker 6: There was solidarity in the room, even if it was difficult to hear.
Speaker 17: If table was full of people from other industries, it was like, I'm gonna say, like seventy five twenty five percent of like these more conventional like factory type jobs, manufacturing jobs, and then the higher red books were all sitting at the same table.
Speaker 10: It's like they took a pic they asked for before because they knew.
Speaker 17: That there would happens, Like we're all on the same team here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, everyone offering, can we call a lawyer for you? Can we do anything?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Like are you concerned about getting a wrestler? You concerned about anything?
Speaker 6: Happened and we raise funds like jail buds, Like people were expecting us to do this because we've done it.
Speaker 9: I mean, we started chanting ceasefire out in the middle of one of Sean Fein's speech and.
Speaker 6: He's smiled, and I have it on my Twitter and on.
Speaker 10: The e UAW Twitter.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Actually, so like people knew and they were happy for us, and they were supportive going into it, and I really just do want to highlight that I don't think that there is division between higher ed and the rest of the UAW industries.
Speaker 6: What we did was in the very spirit of the UAW and in the spirit of unionists in generals.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's right, and we'll be doing it again until President Biden calls for a season. That's correct, that's right, Free palacetine, free palacetime.
Speaker 10: Hell yeah.
Speaker 5: So that was Shahina's Ganeid, Nikki Thomas, and Johanna King Slutsky, three union members and organizers with UAW Local twenty seven to ten. I want to thank our guests again for joining us, and I want to thank you all for watching this segment with breaking points, and be sure to subscribe to my news outlet, the Real News Network with links in the description of this video. See you soon for the next edition of the Art of Class War. Take care of yourselves, take care of each other. Solidarity Forever.