Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is nick Shots streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 4: And the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: At now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola. And this is the place to come when news breaks regarding.
Speaker 5: Your Dallas Cowboys, because.
Speaker 3: You know that once we sign off the air here on mix Shots, news will break about your Dallas Cowboys. It's a Wednesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio, and I have a prediction that after we're off the air, news will break about your Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Well, Bill, guess.
Speaker 2: First we come on too early, then we come on too l late.
Speaker 6: On the NFL rule for signing practice squad guys starts at noon.
Speaker 3: It starts at noon. Is that Eastern time or Central our time? Okay, Central time. So news will officially break right about anyone being signed to the Cowboys practice squad.
Speaker 6: Though the Cowboys probably won't make it official until they have all sixteen guys signed because they don't want to drive anybody away. Then might sign here and say, oh, there's too many of that position. I go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Okay, So any reports that are out there about the players signing with the Cowboys, nothing is official until noon today.
Speaker 6: That's when they can start signing guys back, okay, because before they change the rule, you had to wait till three o'clock. But they decided, well, teams are practicing, let's get the practice squad together for the practice. And that's why they're precs like at night. Also, by the way, okay, all right, one of the reasons.
Speaker 7: Okay. So anyway, that's how we get things started.
Speaker 3: And on Monday, we got breaking news after we got off the air.
Speaker 2: Here, and that was that clam.
Speaker 7: Has signed his contract. And I think everyone.
Speaker 8: Over let's go, let's go, let's go, baby, let's do this.
Speaker 3: And I think everyone could have predicted that Monday was going to be the day.
Speaker 6: Sure, absolutely, especially since uh Jerry when communication cold on Saturday.
Speaker 3: When Jerry goes communication cold, right, that means something something similar.
Speaker 2: For sure, when when he doesn't talk, when he.
Speaker 6: Refused, didn't say anything, I didn't mention.
Speaker 2: Him, solike him.
Speaker 6: That's when you know something's close.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 9: But how great was it to see c D yesterday at Cowboys Night at the practice.
Speaker 10: He was just so happy to be back in this facility.
Speaker 9: His interview afterwards, Oh my gosh, he was over joyed to be back.
Speaker 3: I think he was overjoyed to be back here with us, or was there another reason that he.
Speaker 8: Was well, But I mean, you know, we knew it was gonna We knew it was going to happen. I mean that we all felt it was going to happen. But you know, he was not just happy because of that. He's happy because it's over, it's.
Speaker 6: Done, and he gets, as he pointed out, I get to do what I love to do, get to go back and play footnoll because he pointed out that he hadn't been in this building since the middle of January after the loss.
Speaker 8: Let's let's just let's just look at his numbers from last year, and you know that he's going to He's his off season was probably as professional as it could be, you know, considering the fact that that he's not signed.
Speaker 2: He hadn't signed at the.
Speaker 6: Time, but huge contract.
Speaker 8: But yeah, but you also knew that he was going to be in shape when he got here, absolutely, because that's you know, guys, these days, they're not like we were back.
Speaker 6: In the day, spags, we went to training camp to.
Speaker 2: Get in shape.
Speaker 8: Now we this guy and all of these professionally at these these days. It's a twenty four hour, three hundred and sixty five degree deal.
Speaker 6: And he said he'd be ready. He's been running, he's been doing, he said. The only thing I haven't been able to do is have somebody kind of jostle me.
Speaker 10: Around, like the contact, a little bit.
Speaker 6: Of contact to hit when you know you're going to.
Speaker 2: Get guys like myself. Yeah, guy might be invading his sale somebody. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's hard to simulate, it is. So he gets it done. It's an extension now, right, So because of the year he had on the contract, they rolled that money into the total package of what ended up being one hundred and thirty six million, So this seventeen point ninety nine went into that package, and then they could lower his base salary this year to the minimum of one point two I think one point one two. But what they wanted to do is pro rate the thirty eight million dollars signing bonus over five years, so they get to do it this year and then the four years of the extension. So good deal for him. But if you look at the guaranteed money.
Speaker 7: The last year one hundred right million.
Speaker 6: But that's that was what you can earn with play incentives.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, but the so he's up to one hundred million guarantee.
Speaker 6: But the final year of his contract twenty twenty eight, so final year of the extension. Uh, it's a thirty one million dollar base salary and it's not guaranteed. So to me, I'm dividing taking thirty one out of the thirty six divided by five, and it averages thirty million or by four thirty million are So it's right the line what everybody else is averaging. Because all these other numbers, the one forty, the one thirty eight or whatever, they were not counting that year that wasn't guaranteed. So the fact that he got thirty eight million dollars signing bones had a lot to do with what they already owed.
Speaker 7: Them for this year.
Speaker 6: So it's not out of line. Because I saw something I think it was in the San Jose paper and they said, well, the Cowboys just screwed things up for San Francisco because they can't sign Ayuk to money like that, and they just set a precedence, and the guy didn't read inside the contract like what it really is. The other thing that wasn't pointed out with Jefferson having like the largest I didn't know this, but Minnesota has a nine percent state income tax. So take nine percent out of one forty that's eleven million dollars that he doesn't get the state gifts. So CD gets all his here in Texas, right, no state income tax.
Speaker 8: And you know the thing about these contracts, you know, I learned that back in the day. Sometimes it's just about the optics, right.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: You can dangle numbers out for the agent, yeah, perfect, exactly.
Speaker 8: Well, but for the team as well, because the team wants to say that they did right by their players, right, So it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know. You can talk about it all you want.
Speaker 8: You can flip these numbers here, and turn these numbers here and divide this and.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 8: When it comes down to it, it's just all about what looks good on paper.
Speaker 6: Seeing so many people want to say, well, if they paid them that, why didn't they do it a month ago? Well you don't know what they were asking for, that's right, And you don't know that maybe they wanted a three year deal instead of a four.
Speaker 2: Year and negotiations are negotiations.
Speaker 10: Bro take time. It takes a lot of patience this stuff.
Speaker 8: You're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars and then we're supposed to be getting it done like that. It just never happened. Although I am a bit concerned that we have two guys that we have to sign. I'm still concerned, but I'm still concerned.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Think that's just that's that's NFL football.
Speaker 6: Eventually, Dax will get done. I don't know that there's I don't want to use the word urgency, but it'll get done. And then Micah that's next year.
Speaker 9: And even Ceedy mentioned yesterday and interviews how he's like he wants to see the dact you'll get done because he wants to have that chemistry with DAK and that they're at the top of the leader ward as far as those stats, and he, you know, Ceedy even mentioned he wants Dax done as well.
Speaker 6: So right, yeah, catches last year one hundred and thirty five.
Speaker 3: I want he wants he wants one for looking think about think about I think one thing about CD.
Speaker 7: I'm happy to see him get paid because he.
Speaker 3: Spent about the last seven years getting other people paid. And that would be the quarterarterback, the quarterbacks that he has played with, going back to his time at Oklahoma, Baker Mayfield is not the first pick in the draft if he doesn't have ced Lamb that he's throwing to. Kyler Murray is not the first pick in the draft without throwing to ced Lamb. And then he had Jalen Hurtz, who wasn't the first pick in the draft. He was a second round pick, but he contributed to Jalen hurts Stock as.
Speaker 7: Well in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And then he comes to Dallas and you got Dak Prescott, who's now about to get his second contract since playing with CD Lamb.
Speaker 7: And here's the other thing about CD.
Speaker 3: If you go back and look at his time as far as being a winning football player, go back to his time and I saw this last night at Oklahoma. And here, of course he's had He's been on three straight teams that have won twelve games in the NFL his three years at Oklahoma.
Speaker 7: How many games this season did Oklahoma win twelve? They won twelve, They went twelve and two all three years so.
Speaker 10: Six has to throw in the Oklahoma No.
Speaker 2: No, but no, but seriously, it's more of a CD thing.
Speaker 7: Six six of.
Speaker 3: The last seven years. The only year that Cede Lamb did not win twelve games in a season was the COVID year in twenty twenty, when his rookie year, when the Cowboys went six and ten and they didn't have a full offseason or anything.
Speaker 6: And here's the best thing of him as a receiver. He can play all three positions. He's not just this or he's not just that. Which was the mistake I saw in the in the Mercury News. The guy said, yeah, the.
Speaker 7: San Jose News while you're reading it came up.
Speaker 6: He came up on a headline when I went to Google, and for some reason I saw it.
Speaker 2: And this will be the last time we mentioned them on this program.
Speaker 6: Right, but again, here's how shoddy reporting. They pointed out that they paid all that money for a guy that lines up in the slot. Oh wow, how do you make that mistake? He doesn't know what he's talking about. Right, That's why it's this stuff online you gotta be careful about. You just got to be careful.
Speaker 2: You missed it, Chris, that was.
Speaker 7: There's a mix shot, the mixed shot about shoddy.
Speaker 2: Reporting the San Jose. Why did you even give who still anyway out come on?
Speaker 6: Well it wasn't because they were right.
Speaker 8: There you go. But here's the thing I like about CD. It's the subtlety in his game. You know, he's a guy that there's no sense of urgency in what he does, and it's simply because he has the timing between he and his quarterback in his head. And I think that's extremely admirable. You look at him when he comes off the line of scrimmage, you wonder why he's open all the time, because if I'm looking at him as a player, I'm gonna think, oh, this guy, you know he would be easy to contact off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: That is not the case.
Speaker 8: He has never shown that a guy can shut him down coming off the line of scrimmage in a press position. That's something that makes him the most comfortable target for a quarterback because he can see right away that this guy didn't get jammed at the line of scrimmage and I will play, will continue because of what he did.
Speaker 2: Those kind of things are those subtle things that.
Speaker 8: You really need from a consistent combination between quarterback and wide receiver. You got to have that kind of subtlety there because they know we're coming to him, right, but yet you still can't stop it.
Speaker 3: You know why that is he's a master of his craft. He really is, true, and it really goes back to his high school days, even I mean, he has never not known success. If you go back to his high school days in Houston, his senior year, he had ninety eight catches for two thousand and thirty two yards and thirty three touchdowns. The yards is the fourth in the State of Texas history. And then without red shirt season or anything, he goes right into college and does the exact same stuff all through college, and then he goes right in as a first round draft pick in the NFL.
Speaker 7: And it's just it is arrow kicks. He used to point up.
Speaker 6: I think he was doing it in the I don't know what the league was called with junior high level when he was playing in Houston, and they had this fancy team with a bunch of guys that got ended up in the NFL or at least at Oklahoma. The safety build, the big safety from Houston. They were all on this same team. And one of the wide receivers that went to LSU because they all had moved there during Katrina.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, Yeah, because he's from Louisiana.
Speaker 6: And so and so they had this young team they were they were winning all the titles, like even national titles. So yeah, he's uh, he's been a winner. And guess what else he adds. He adds to that running back room because if you remember last year, they started lining him up in the backfield and handling the ball, pitching them the ball, and the threat of that happened takes away from what the coverage is.
Speaker 2: So are we looking for him to so about? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right, Well, and the other thing is he he maintains he will be ready to play next Sunday, that the ramp up, they will put him through a ramp up. But that uh, you know, I don't know that he plays fifty snaps, but I think he goes out and I went back.
Speaker 3: Bet he does pay if they have fifty snaps on offense.
Speaker 7: And if they have and if they have ninety.
Speaker 3: Snaps on offense, he'll be out there for ninety snaps.
Speaker 6: This reminded me of nineteen ninety two when Michael Irvin missed the entire training camp. The Cowboys were going to open the season on Monday night against Washington. He signed his contract Thursday, right, And it was a long negotiation back and forth. Local agent Steve Endicott was Mike's agent. And how about this. It was one of the biggest contracts ever signed by the Cowboys. It was three years, three point seventy five.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 6: And they were arguing over should it be one point seventy five or one point zero? Right, And they finally met at one and a quarter a year. Mike showed up on Thursday, and they had seen him working out in pads during training camp. Here Craig James was throwing passes to him, right, and and and so when he showed up, Uh so it was Elvin Harper, Kelvin Martin. Forgot who the other Williams not yet anyway, those they had three and Jimmy goes, yeah, he's not starting, you know, he can't start. Second play of the game. He came in, yes, yes, thank you, and right, and so he ended up with five catches for eighty nine yards. With no training camp. They won the first three games in the game he gave him and each each game his catches went up for the first three games that they started the season off with a three and oh record.
Speaker 8: So as I was going to say, if you think about c the and his accomplishments and his drive, ah, he's an old school player.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that was like he has that same work ethic that Michael had.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: And that was kind of Michael's breakout season because re Membory, he tore his a cl in eighty nine ninety he played half the season ninety one. He was pretty good, but that was his big breakout season. No training camp. So I still have visions of Mike rehappened with his a cl and he was living in Carrollton at that time where I was living.
Speaker 7: I'm coming bicycle story.
Speaker 6: Yeah he's heard them, but I've heard and we have different listeners. Big Mike in the middle of Trinity Mills riding his bicycle down the middle of the road. It was a scary sock.
Speaker 2: I must add.
Speaker 8: I Uh, Mike used to get on my irvis when I first met him, you know when that was that eighty nine season, and you know, it was just tough, even from the beginning, it was tough. And I just remember when he got injured and he had on a weight vest and he was bounding, just bounding, trying to work there. I'm like, damn, that looks hard. I'm like, you know that I had never seen anything like that. I mean, I've seen guys work hard. I've seen, but coming off of that injury and his determination at that time, well it went from this. I would see him in the in the Jacuzie area and he was depressed, I mean really depressed, and I remember talking to him and I don't know what I you know, we just talked, talked talking. Next thing, you know, I see him out there bounding with that weight best on, and that thing had to be.
Speaker 2: It seemed like it was close to twenty five pounds weight vest and.
Speaker 8: He was bounding off of two feet down the track in pally Rance And I'm like, man, this guy's going to be red.
Speaker 6: And then he had to have a second surgery because the scar tissue built up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might have heard himselves, yeah get read right? Yeah all right.
Speaker 3: So I wonder when we come back here on make shots, is there room on this roster for a former four time Pro Bowl running back? What do y'all think when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 5: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 11: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 11: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 7: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Never Light is in fact less filling and tastes great. I'm a shine legal guy.
Speaker 4: Celebrate responsibilyl Walkee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 7: Grab some today.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: And they snapped the Prescott who looks right, it's not. He escapes left, he comes down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active Trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com demitt shuts.
Speaker 10: Football is back.
Speaker 9: Come watch your Dallas Cowboys practice at training camp presented by American Airlines. Head to the Star in Frisco tonight for the season kickoff ceremony and open practice featuring a can't miss performance by the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and a welcome address from Jerry Jones.
Speaker 10: Training camp is free and open to the public.
Speaker 9: Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash training camp for more information.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue now with mix shots, and as we alluded to off the top of the show, we expect news to happen after we get off the air, and Mickey specifically said noon today is when practice squad signings can occur. So we are assured that the Cowboys will have a practice squad this year, and so there will be signings that's right at noon. May not be announced at noon, but they will become official at noon. And Mickey, there are reports out there, and it's coming from a player's agent, that a certain four time Pro Bowl running back is headed here to Dallas.
Speaker 6: Are you talking about Dalvin Cook?
Speaker 7: That would be Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 6: Came in yesterday for a visit. My understanding is if he was signed, it was most likely going to be to the practice squad because he's not ready to play. No ramp up they'll have by time he gets signed. They'll have one padded practice tomorrow, they'll have one paddy practice next week and that's it. And he had no training camp, so they can put him on the practice squad and they could ramp him up and then if they want to elevate him for one game, you see how things go, you can elevate him then. But I think that's where the interest is in. I'm also told that they would welcome back Carl Lawson, the defensive end that they brought in and then released. He's another guy he's not ready to play. But if he'll sign to the practice squad, that will give him an opportunity to get in football shape.
Speaker 3: He's not ready to play a full game, right because he did play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he played what half a dozen snaps, ten SAPs, something like that, and that's what probably determined how well he did. They were also looking at Gosh, I'm gonna forget his first name, Bowser, defensive Tyas Bowser from East Texas, Tyas Bowser, Yeah, Tias, and they were kind of interested in him. Now he hadt least been in training camp, so that'll be one that they're also interested in. But the new rule, I'm told on the practice squad, if you're a veteran guy, you used to be able to sign those guys for whatever. Now it's a twenty one thousand dollars a week maximum, So it's a little different than the young guys that are getting twelve thousand a week, which is a heck of a lot more before when they started twenty.
Speaker 3: One thousand times eighteen at three hundred and seventy eight thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 7: Not bad, huh to be a practice squad.
Speaker 3: I go out there, I go out and the blocking dumb and the weeks that you do get elevated to the varsity.
Speaker 6: You get you whatever?
Speaker 3: You get?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: So I want to go.
Speaker 10: Back to our mention of Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 9: First, it's an incredible like tenure in this in the NFL.
Speaker 10: I mean, from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two, he.
Speaker 9: Had four back to back over one thousand yard seasons. Twenty twenty three spent time with the Jets and the Ravens. But you know there he didn't have too much playing time for.
Speaker 10: Either of those teams. I'm only seeing you know, two hundred and fourteen yards overall.
Speaker 9: But I just I think that could be an incredible match if that's the case. And like you said, he's definitely not ready as of this moment, but practice squad, I can see, you know how they can maybe what happened?
Speaker 10: Would they do there?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 6: Not sure?
Speaker 2: Injury?
Speaker 7: Shoulder surgery. He had shoulder surgery. And he feels like and that was the word before he came here.
Speaker 8: To how major was this show? I mean, how bad was it? I mean because everything changed?
Speaker 10: I mean I definitely had.
Speaker 11: Happened.
Speaker 8: Yah, he had twenty twenty two, he had over a thousand yards.
Speaker 6: Right, what happens to running backs after they get past.
Speaker 2: Twenty No, it's that not that kind of drop.
Speaker 6: How old were you when you finished thirty three? You made it to thirty three.
Speaker 8: I made it to thirty three, Okay, But with him, this drop off is significant.
Speaker 2: Significant within one year, or.
Speaker 6: Maybe he just didn't fit in to whatever the other teams were doing.
Speaker 8: He and the Jets, that was that was a disaster. Now did that have something to do with his shoulder or not?
Speaker 2: These are the questions we'll see there. You go, okay, so.
Speaker 6: Go ask the quarterback.
Speaker 2: But damn he goes from eleven hundred plus yards to.
Speaker 10: What was it to two fourteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, man, that's I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: I need to know more because this guy was one of the best running backs and in the NFL at one.
Speaker 3: Point, and then he went to the Ravens at the end of the year and they actually used him in the playoffs and had eight carries for twenty three yards two point nine yards to carry in the playoffs last.
Speaker 2: Year and that was the game they lost, right yeah, Kansas City.
Speaker 8: So yeah, man, when you look at it on paper, this is a great sign.
Speaker 6: He's ready to play football and still has.
Speaker 2: Some okay once again, but it's good to.
Speaker 6: Check it out. No, it's good to check I know.
Speaker 8: All I'm saying is I'm not going to chalk this up to well, you know, running back stay after twenty nine whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm not chalking this up to that.
Speaker 8: I want to know what's wrong with what happened with this kid who had over a thousand yards in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: And by the way, let me correct that he did not he did not carry the ball against Kansas City. It was their playoff win against Houston. Yet he carries for twenty three yards.
Speaker 8: So yeah, you know, because we look at this potentially, potentially this could be huge. But I just want to know what happened to this young man to where showed us surgery or you know, just the whims of what happens with the NFL players comes about.
Speaker 2: I think this guy, I don't know. I look at him as.
Speaker 8: A potentially a game breaker for us, a game changer for us, potentially.
Speaker 3: That's why it's worth it's worth taking a chance on that to bring him in here. He's not taking up a roster spot right now. And then see how he looks over the course of you know, they saw how he looks in one little workout yesterday. Now we see how he looks over the course of some time and and then measure it against the others. And it also provides insurance in case you have an injury to one of your running on the roster right.
Speaker 6: Now, because they don't really well, we'll find out what practice squad insurance they would have at noon.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean other guys that they would be looking at would be Malik Davis, Royce Freeman who they had in.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't think that they would bring those two guys back.
Speaker 9: They cut the speaking of roster spots yesterday we got down to the fifty three man.
Speaker 10: How did we do on our predictions, Mickey.
Speaker 6: I think we were right on every one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every single It's like Mickey had a pipeline to the personnel department and knew exactly what was going to happen.
Speaker 6: I did find out a little bit of why Peyton Hendershot was going to be uh expendable, and I thought I saw it in training camp, but I didn't take the time to look. And I'm not sure what they listed his weight at, but he had gotten like into two twenties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a more slender tight end anyway. Yeah, any battle injury problems here and even in training camp he was.
Speaker 6: So they were looking for different dimensions in in in that fourth well, the third and fourth guy, well John Steven, he gave him a different dimension. He's down the seam, uh kind of former wide receiver that's a tight end. And then with uh spawn Ford, he's more of a prototype tight end. They really liked what he's.
Speaker 7: Six six and a half two hundred and sixty pounds.
Speaker 2: As a rookie going to take over the world. Yeah right, I mean, come on, man, these guys are studs.
Speaker 3: Well take think about the teams that made it deep in the playoffs last.
Speaker 7: Year and what they had at tight end.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Think about the two Super Bowl teams Kelsey and Kittle there.
Speaker 2: And the ones that didn't make it. Yeah, I mean, yeah, Andrews.
Speaker 6: That's where all the power forwards in the NBA, right there is the NFL.
Speaker 7: Tight end at Detroit and Detroit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that was one reason that they they were getting calls I understand about him. So instead of releasing him, they got a future the.
Speaker 8: Guy that I mentioned that did we talk about him? The one that I thought looked good? But you say it was a form of fullback Princeton, that's fair.
Speaker 6: I bet he'll he'll be a practice I got because they kept forward tight ends.
Speaker 9: Yes, kept obviously Ferguson schoonmaker John Stevens, and then Brevian Spanford out of Minnesota.
Speaker 10: So that the guy.
Speaker 9: Who he's like six six six and a half two, Yeah, he's the big one, and they.
Speaker 6: Kept four running backs as we sort of predicted.
Speaker 7: Well, three running backs in a fullback, right, yeah, well who's also can do them all?
Speaker 2: Guy? Right?
Speaker 3: He had so Actually, they have five tight end types on their roster, including.
Speaker 6: So I shouldn't say they got ten. Ten defensive batt also means they.
Speaker 7: Have four quarterbacks on the roster because I think if you could.
Speaker 2: Put a quarterback stop stop stopping.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, duces back in the mixer, you know, I like seeing how they may.
Speaker 10: End up utilizing him.
Speaker 6: They show him.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it looked it was kind of fifty to fifty at that point, you know, at the end of training camp.
Speaker 10: But I like how you know he's here.
Speaker 6: Offensive line was going to either be WI Let's go or ball. They chose w Let's go. Ball's got released. And I mean linebackers, we we about had it with Buddy Johnson. They're keeping him.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: They also on the defensive line made room for Lynnville Joseph, so they signed him to a one year deal. Another thirty six years old?
Speaker 5: Is that what I saw?
Speaker 2: Two old guys. We had two old guys.
Speaker 6: Now I worry about getting old.
Speaker 7: He'll turn thirty six in October.
Speaker 2: I think, Okay, that's why they probably limit the plays.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they'll play rotation games.
Speaker 6: And by the way, it got reported that he signed one year of four million. It can be four million, okay, up to the base is two million. So uh, you know, it's another guy that you take a look see.
Speaker 3: And and it's a long season.
Speaker 6: Especially for nose tackles, right, so they needed some experience behind Mazzi. It's not like they're saying, Okay, Mozzie can't do it. They're still he's still the starter. But this guy will add some experience and bulk.
Speaker 2: By the way, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I must admit I was a little bit of remissing watching preseason games of any team.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: And I finally saw a kickoff.
Speaker 6: No wait, let me get it went to the twenty eight.
Speaker 8: Yard Well no, no, they downed it. It was the back of the end zone. Right, So these are the criterias for kickoff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Obviously if you're catching the back of the end zone, they still don't want to return it.
Speaker 2: They feel like that messes up.
Speaker 6: Come out to the thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it does, but I mean running it out.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's what I'm saying. Yeah, I might as well just take it at the thirty right.
Speaker 8: Right, So they don't like doing that, so they don't like bring it out like if you're at the back of the end zone.
Speaker 2: They don't like bringing that out so much.
Speaker 3: So there was talk, and I think they still have time to do this. I don't think anything has been decided for sure about this, although they did have a special owners meeting this week and maybe maybe they passed on this idea because the rule right now is if you kick the ball into the end zone on the fly, it comes.
Speaker 7: Out to the thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well when you, as Mickey said, the twenty eight yard line, what the average starting position on all the after every kickoff is basically the twenty eight and a half yard line, And so if they're trying to encourage more kickoffs, then there was a thought amongst the coaches that okay, how about we bring it instead. You bring instead of bringing out to the thirty, bring it out to the thirty five yard line, and that would keep teams from kicking into the end zone as much, and so which would encourage more kick because you might as well, if the average is they're getting out to the twenty eight, well just don't risk that someone could break one on and just.
Speaker 7: What's two yards? Well, think seven yards is a little different.
Speaker 6: Think if you're kicking to Cavante Turpin, you want to take the chance you're going to tackle them, or you want to just put the ball to thirty yard line.
Speaker 3: But the ideal thing is is that you bounce it into the end zone. If it lands in the landing zone between the goal line and the twenty and then goes through the end zone, it comes out to the twenty yard line.
Speaker 7: We saw that in the gain the other day.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did not know that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, did you notice that at some points in that game the referees didn't know The officials didn't know where that ball was going, and the team didn't either.
Speaker 3: They that was after they were experimenting with a six man crew too.
Speaker 7: That what they did in that they I think every game they did this across the league.
Speaker 3: The third preseason game they the officials experiment with, Okay, what if during the regular season one of our officials went down with an injury and so they had like the in this case, it was the down judge who was during the course of the game promoted a referee. So he's got to make all the calls on all the decision.
Speaker 5: Makes I think it's gonna be an injury, but to because I mean, there's.
Speaker 7: But just in case. No, it's just that that's their chance.
Speaker 3: That's their chance to give reps to someone who if an emergency situation got thrown into having to announce on national television.
Speaker 6: So and by the I was going to say, by the way, on the on the roster, so CD gets a roster exemption. I think it can be up to two games, so he doesn't count against the fifty three.
Speaker 3: But if he's playing the GAMEE what I'm saying, Yeah, well, obviously you don't get an exemption.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, like, whoa he really?
Speaker 6: They also dron Bland had his surgery uh the other day, so uh, and they put him on IR recall. So you had the ability for the fifty three to put two guys on IR recall, so he's one of them.
Speaker 8: Is this an injury that could affect his ability to cover after?
Speaker 6: Well, you get over it, because you've had this before I had it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's why I'm asking for real, because you know.
Speaker 6: I didn't have to cover.
Speaker 2: This guy's got a back.
Speaker 6: But it's a it's a it's your fifth minute tarsl. So it's the bone that goes into your little toe, which.
Speaker 2: Tell me anything, what do you mean? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of problems will he What.
Speaker 10: Can we expect when he comes back?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 6: It's not last.
Speaker 7: It has to heal though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course we know these things. I mean, after all.
Speaker 7: That, so he would have a problem until it heals.
Speaker 6: The one, the one you should ask about is that. So it's it's it's the variation of a high ankle spring that a doga suffered. And so basically what that what happens is the fibula and tibia separate and they're supposed to be together. Yeah, so they have this surgery, it's called a rope surgery. They kind of tie it together to get the bones back to no space between them.
Speaker 8: You seem very proud of the fact that you know that, you very proud.
Speaker 6: I just put extra for you.
Speaker 3: And when you had the fractured fifth metatarsal, you were out how long?
Speaker 6: Three months?
Speaker 7: Three months? He's going to be out three weeks. He'll be back.
Speaker 6: That's what they told me. If I was a professional athlete.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, so we continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 11: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 6: What are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 11: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less fillings.
Speaker 7: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 1: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Rashine legal guy.
Speaker 4: Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the your ke Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 7: Grab some today.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 13: They snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 7: Prescott's gonna run this himself.
Speaker 6: Run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot com to Mixed.
Speaker 10: Shots, Max Tour is back.
Speaker 9: Head to AT and T Stadium on Tuesday, September tenth for a showdown between the Mexican and Canadian men's national teams. Don't miss another exciting soccer match in Arlington. Tickets are on sale now at sea geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: All Right, our final few minutes of Mixed Shots and we recon.
Speaker 7: Be next week.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like Tuesday after Labor Day noon?
Speaker 6: Is that right? Chris? I got it?
Speaker 7: I got to noon during the regular season.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey, what shall we talk about here in this last segment of the preseason.
Speaker 6: Let's pick a position the Cowboys probably are zeroing in on to upgrade. Are still need to upgrade going forward?
Speaker 9: I'm thinking if we're looking at defensive ends right now, so far Michael Parsons, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marshawn Neeland, and then Tyris Wheat, but obviously Sam Williams going down in training camp this year. I think that's still a position that the Cowboys need to be paying attention to.
Speaker 6: Well, think about what happens if you put Parsons at linebacker. So you've got DeMarcus Lawrence Kneelan, DeMarcus Lawrence Goldston, h Tyrus Wheat. I forgot about yeah, because they moved him basically back to defensive and they cut forj Hooko. So yeah, it's a little thin there.
Speaker 7: He got placed on I R didn't he?
Speaker 6: I believe he did?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Or released injured?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we waved injured, which typic. Typically they that leads you to going on the injured reserve unless there's an injury settlement, which could happen. So, and the other thing at defensive end is al quad and Muhammad is on the suspended list for one week. He still has one more game to serve on his six games suspended.
Speaker 8: How how was the situation would go off to defensive ends for the for the preseason?
Speaker 7: Did we none?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just remember the pressure your words, and.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't.
Speaker 6: But then Lawrence wasn't playing, Parsons wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but damn, we got these young guys out there, man.
Speaker 7: That's why it's a problem. Area that the ling played.
Speaker 3: But then at a certain point. But at a certain point Kneeland didn't play right because now, okay, we can't afford to lose Kneeling, We've already lost Sam Williams. Yeah, protect him and put him in bubble wrap.
Speaker 8: You know, if you if you have some young guys on the squad, I mean I know. The first thing Michael Downs thought about was making good reads and of course playing well on special teams.
Speaker 2: That was when he first came to the Cowboys. That's what he was doing.
Speaker 8: They were gonna put me in their free safety is gonna make some play, its gonna make some tackles. When I got there, my whole thing was out. I got to make interceptions. That's the only way I'm going to be noticed. So as a defensive end, you got no pressure from from any of the young guys.
Speaker 6: They really didn't come on.
Speaker 2: Man, So do you have who are these guys that we signed?
Speaker 6: You have a position you're worried about?
Speaker 2: Defensive end?
Speaker 6: Oh you too?
Speaker 2: Yes, brought me up on this.
Speaker 3: And Carl Lawson is a guy that they cut yesterday. That sounds like they're gonna he's welcome to come back on the practice squad unless off Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so it sounds like we're settling.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, they're looking.
Speaker 8: Okay, because man, you gotta have a defensive end. That's gonna make us sad.
Speaker 6: Trade for Charles Hayley.
Speaker 2: Man, Charles could come out right now, Well, I don't know he's.
Speaker 3: And the other other well, it's your swing tackle on offense. I mean, uh, if Tyler, if Tyler Goyton weren't able to play for some reason, or for that matter, Terrence Steele. On the other side, you've got Matt will let's go, who's a right tackle. And you got Awesome Richards who has played at left tackle in the preseason and we also played some guard. They have to be scouring the countryside looking for.
Speaker 7: Because the injury just put him in that position.
Speaker 10: Can you remind me how long he is out for.
Speaker 7: It was toe injury that it was.
Speaker 6: I was told probably till Thanksgiving, damn.
Speaker 7: And he did have surgery.
Speaker 6: Well with surgery, yeah, okay, it ruined Deon Sander's career. Yeah, that was kind of the same thing. Foreign ligaments. Yeah, mine would be who's the fourth corner now that blands out for six to eight weeks? Now two weeks will be leading up. So four games probably got Lewis Diggs and then the next guy up would probably be Andrew Booth, who it was the second round draft choice of Minnesota and they traded him for Nashan Right, So I think they got to keep looking there because you're one injury away from that guy playing. No, he's there, but he's kind of I talked to him and he said he no, one's talked to him about moving the corner. He's a safety. He'll play the nickel for you, but that's it. If it's an outside guy, it's Booth. What about Belle safety and Jannier Thomas can go in the slot. I told you on the dime we talked about that. So that's what I think they're looking at.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 6: We'll see what happens going forward. Looking at the waiver wire.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to look at the waiver wire right now, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens. There's there are players who made the team yesterday. He's breathing this sigh of relief, and they calling homes and.
Speaker 6: Mom made the t don't buy a house.
Speaker 3: Across the league, it's like that and then they're finding out today and no need to sign this guy over here, and so we're gonna.
Speaker 2: That's not cool. Yeah, back in the day when it was done, it was done.
Speaker 3: But having said that, and I went back and looked at it from last year, and it gets back to how long a season it is and how.
Speaker 7: Many players you use.
Speaker 3: There were all but five players that were on the roster the last preseason game last year that were playing in the NFL in some capacity, either on a practice squad or the regular roster.
Speaker 7: Throughout the year.
Speaker 3: So we talk about how these preseason games aren't worth watching. Well, all these players that are playing in these preseason games are.
Speaker 7: Going to be on an NFL roster. That's the way things have changed in the league.
Speaker 6: So do we bid a dude to one of our party?
Speaker 2: We bid? Yeah, I did. Yeah.
Speaker 9: But you know what, I'm going to give Everson this read sheet because you're going to have to start.
Speaker 2: Practicing with yesterday.
Speaker 10: I need ever to take something.
Speaker 6: She promoted you to do. The reads I got practice. You better step your this is your homework.
Speaker 7: We need we need to thank uh Savannah.
Speaker 6: Savannah her diligent work joining us. Okay, brought a smile to the show, brought some knowledge and got better as the season went on.
Speaker 2: And the difficult last name.
Speaker 10: There you go.
Speaker 6: Okay, after all, got.
Speaker 2: Me and n Savannah Georgia.
Speaker 10: That's it, I know.
Speaker 9: But I'm so thankful for you guys, thankful for Mickey for having me on. And I'm not going too far away, still be.
Speaker 2: Around on good, oh good, excellent, excellent.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks for your help. So if it was up to me, throw it in my last yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, And so next Tuesday at noon, okay, the regular season grind begins.
Speaker 6: It's an off day for the players, so we are we every day next week?
Speaker 3: So all right, So that does it for the off season and preseason edition for mix Shots. Bill Jones, Everson Walls, Mickey Spagnola, and the great Savannah thanks.
Speaker 7: For joining us here for Mixshot.
Speaker 2: Than you you got it.
Speaker 4: It's been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club