Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Moudie. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. The Cubs have not lost a game since the trade deadline. That's five in a row and we are recording Saturday morning Friday night. Kevin Gossman was everything they need him to be. It definitely looked a little shaky to start. Walked the first guy that he faced, didn't walk another batter after that, I think it went walk two outs, then a hard single that kind of ricocheted off his leg, and you're like, uh oh, is this a Michael Siroca situation where he gets in a game and immediately leaves with an injury. He shook that off, gave up an RBI double and retired nineteen to the next twenty one. Just utterly dominant and looks like you'll fit right into a rotation that's just been cruising along for a little while now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just curious, what have been your observations of like these first couple of days after the deadline, bringing in some not just good players, but guys who have very good reputations and have a little bit of presence about them. I know they try to treat every single day the same. But observationally, have you noticed anything different here since the deadline?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, honestly, what I've noticed the most is like these pitchers immediately bring up the defense. It's like that's the first thing they talk about. And Gossman, it's not like he came from someplace where they can't play defense. Like I'm pretty sure Toronto was arguably the best defense last year by some metrics. You know, I think Cubs people would say they were still the best last year, but this year it's not close. The Cubs are lapping the field and Toronto's still good defense. I think even in that one game series, one game that wrapped up that three game series from whatever June, we saw how good Toronto's defense is. But there's another level here. Gossman brought it up again last night. Clay Holmes has brought it up. But Clay Holmes it was going to be you know, I'm sure one of the early questions. We didn't get to ask Clay Holmes about it because he said it before anybody could ask him about it. He just talked about how obviously this defense is going to be great for him, and we've seen what they've done for David Peterson for whatever two months now or a month and a half or whatever it's been. So there's there's another there that's that's what's really been talked about, I feel like by these pitchers. But yes, there there there's an excitement and there's a belief that special things can happen. I think with you when you have this much depth with your pitching, when you have this much talent, when you're getting guys that have experienced winning in Gossman and Clay Holmes, a guy that was pitching in the World Series last year, and Gossman, I think there's a certain level of excitement that you know, these are veterans. These aren't guys that haven't been there. So most of them aren't like over the moon about it in the sense that they know there's a lot of baseball to play and they can't make any assumptions, but there's certainly an energy around the group, and I think you're seeing it in their play. They've been playing well in general. It's not like they were lackadaisical before the deadline, but they're playing really well and it just feels like, Yeah, this team's got something right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure loves to make revealing his game one playoff starter, who is closer is going to be for you know, the second and third playoff rounds. How has Craig's demeanor changed with all of these a bunch of more out getting toys for him to play with their.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hasn't changed at all. He's not telling us anything. He is the same guy. Yeah, you know, we We've talked to him and Tommy how to be the pitching coach, and I feel like they're cautiously optimistic, you know, about the potential of what could be coming. You know. He Counsel's very adamant about like certain guys are going, Like he knows Daniel Plancias will be pitching for this team soon. Ben Brown will pitch for this team again. Not soon, but you know again, this team is going like going to have Ben Brown this year. Things like that, Hobie Milner is coming back soon ish. Edward Cabrera has one more rehab start before they activate him. So there's a lot of pitching on the way and they just added for arms. Yeah, four arms, because now Braxton Garrett is on this roster as well. I think we'll see what Braxton Garrett. I don't think Garrett's around for the long haul. I think this is they're in the middle. They're ending seventeen straight as we record this. They got two more for seventeen in seventeen days, and they need to just get through. My guess is Clay Holmes is going tonight. Not my guess is Clay Holmes is going tonight. Clay Holmes is going tonight. He's probably not going to be super stretched out. I think he did throw now blanking on the number of pitches he threw in his last reh rehab start. But they still need to be smart about it. So Garrett's there in the bullpen, Assad and Ray are still I think I have that right. And Sodd and Ray are still in the bullpen. Sod hasn't gotten sent down, right, No, No, he's still there. Assad's still there, raised there, so they have a length behind Homes. Counsel kind of said, like we got to change up, like how abused at the back of the bullpen right now, He's like, basically I think His point was there could have been two interpretations of that. We can try and get clarity in pregame today, but he's he's using Jacob web a ton and he needs to just like leave him be for a little bit. And Caleb theelbar. The strikeouts are still really high, and that's important. The walks aren't out of control, but the hard contact has just gotten to a point where it's like, is he like, can you trust him still in high leverage moments? Which may which says to me, like, Okay, Hoby Milner's coming back soon. He may be the number one lefty or number number two lefty after Allison. Does that happen? And Council was more leaning towards Milner more, But I do wonder, like, does Garrett get a shot at some point to show what he can do as a reliever Maybe that maybe it's too late in the season to start like thinking about that, right, Like he hasn't done anything in the big leagues really this year, so why give him this huge role? But he's got two months to maybe make a name for himself. But my guess is Hobe Milner has the I mean, not my guests. Like Council was pretty clear that Milner has the lead in that, but but Fielbar maybe seeing a different role going forward. It has like I love the strikeouts, but he can't give up as much hard contact as he's giving up right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do these, you know, roster projections in spring training and or during the offseason, like as moves are happening, and I think this particular moment in time, it is pretty impressive. I know there's kind of asterisks around a lot of these guys you wrote about Sadev who are coming off the injured list on in the near term, but this looks like, you know, a playoff caliber pool of pitch. There are going to be tough decisions. There is going to be competition down the stretch. There will be guys kind of rising and falling based on what the manager and coaches are seeing.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 2: Not guaranteeing the Cubs overtake the Brewers, but if you had any shot at overtaking the Brewers and advancing deep into October, you needed what happened at the trade deadline of getting that swing and miss reliever getting two legit starters. I thought it was interesting. Ken Rosenthal's one of his recent recent columns saying the Brewers identified like two guys on the market who they thought could start a playoff game, and they got one of them in May, and.
Speaker 1: The other was Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 2: Like there's a legit get frontline starter, you know, who pitched in last year's World Series. And so you take all this together, I guess we can go over some of the names. It seemed like a maybe Tommy was just in a good mood because they got all these new pitchers and like they can see kind of the finish line here. But I mean, Ben Brown will pitch. You know, even Justin Steele is actually doing stuff and making progress. Cabrera is kind of an intriguing one too. I think you really got to like the idea of him maybe being this two inning wild card out of the bullpen, rather than you know, pinning your hopes on him being a game one playoff starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cabrera was dominant in his most recent his most recent rehab outing. You know that that's great, obviously, can't you know project that into you know, the big leagues. That's a triple A. But eight strikeouts, no walks in four innings, I want to say one more start coming, they're obviously stretching him out. They're planning on putting him in the rotation. But what does that mean in October? You know, like you said, Gosman's a playoff starter. You have Matthew Boyd, you have showed him Managa, you have play homes. You know, I'm missing someone that that is important. I'm sure as I list off all those starters. So they have guys that they trust can go deep into games or give them innings, or maybe they just start doing like they can do two times through the order for a certain starter and then bring Edward Cabrera in for three innings. He why not let him just like kind of let loose for two or three innings in the playoffs, anything kind of goes. You could say that for almost anyone, I think, especially a guy with the type of stuff as Cabrera. That's why I kind of wondered about Garrett, and I have talked to some people that are like, yeah, well, you know it could take up so why you know, you can't really rule it out with you know, Polentia will be back. We'll see there. They're gonna ease him back into a role because Council keeps mentioning how few innings he's pitched. The latest with Brown is I think he threw I'm gonna I want to make sure I'm right on this. I'm pretty sure he threw a bullpen Friday, and it was like a like I shouldn't say a bullpen. It was like a touch and feel I should say that it was either Friday or it's happening this weekend where it was just like, you know, very much like he's feeling abound. He's getting that you know, idea of what, uh, what it feels like again, and they're just like they're progressing. Where before it was like he'd take us, try and take a step, and in the next day it'd be like, ah, that doesn't feel great or I'm feeling something there. Now it's not that's not happening anymore. It's like they're going they're not rushing through this. He's not you know, full force. When I talked to Ben, he seems pretty optimistic and he was saying the below's there, but you know, he needs to start throwing spin. He needs to you know, go full force in a bullpen and start facing batters. But totally realistic that he's gonna you know, get up to one or two inning verse and we know how good he can be. With Steele. Depending on who you talk to, you get different things. Could he like I think ultimately what it is is they really want to get him on a mound, whether it's you know, facing batters in game situations now. And I'm not saying the big leagues. I'm just saying they need to get that done a couple outings this season. Can he help this team at the big league level as a reliever. I don't think that's something that they're just like that they're gonna say, yes, absolutely, that is happening. They're not going to be as forcefble as like Ben Brown or Daniel Palencia or Cabrera or any of these guys. Ben Brown obviously, let's let's just compare him to Ben Brown. Ben Brown, they're very adamant, like he's pitching for this big league club this year. You're not getting the same emphatic response on Justin Steele. It's important for them for him to get on the mound and face the live bat like face batters and then get in game action that they really want that to happen. But I think with him, it was this most recent bullpen, which could have been over the last couple of days, was like another twenty five ish bullpen session, and then like the hope was a more intense forty ish bullpen session. And then after that it's like do you do an updown bullpen session? Do you do live BP? That's the next step one of those two, like either an updown or live BP updown. So we'll see where that goes how quickly they move him. Like I said, I think they could use a lefty out of the bullpen one more. To feel really good about things, and this is like these are like being nitpicky, I think to a certain extent, But when you're this good and when when you are trying to win a championship, it's exactly what you should be doing. Nitpicking the roster. It's kind of like the Tyrone Taylor addition. It's like, let's be let's be you know, like, what is What's something that we could use over the final two months. So I'm not as bullish on Justin Steele as I would be Ben Brown, but you can't rule it out that he comes back as a bullpen arm. It's just it's like maybe he gets a couple of innings in the big leagues. But does he get to a point where you're like, put him on the playoff roster he's ready to get out in the seventh inning against the Brewers or whatever. You know, it's just hard to to get to that point so quickly. You answered.
Speaker 2: The other piece of kind of roster fallout, is Ian Happs sort of in like a light platoon now not automatic every day or are they just kind of easing it towards that where he's not going to be just posting up in left field every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, more the ladder, you know. I like, I don't think it's like a full on platoon just yet, but we're getting to that point. Patrick, I can't. I was just trying to look, but at my box score isn't updating. I don't think. I think he went over four with four strikeouts yesterday, Yes, and it was like looking swinging, looking swinging. From what I remember, it was two of each that bats just don't and this was from the left side. Like the whole point is like Tyrone Taylor, let him get some days off against stuff lefties, he'll be in there. Case against the left e's, I think he was on, so like he sat Monday and Tuesday and then played Wednesday against the lefty. I'm going off pure memory here. He just doesn't he doesn't look right at the plate. Now. I want to say this because we've watched a decade of E and half play, last five years, him playing pretty much every day. This happens. He looks awful for a period of time, uh, and then just gets red hot and is almost carrying an offense. He can do that. He doesn't have a hit in August. It's only August eighth, but the bats don't look great. I think Tyrone Taylor is just should eat up his at bats against the lefties. I think you should. You need to be more aggressive about that. This kind of feels like that Kevin al contrast start on whatever day that that was much day. I believe that Kevin el contrast start to me felt like Joe Madden pulling Jason Hamill against the Giants in twenty fifteen. Is my memory, right, That's what that felt like to me. It's like, okay, it's go time. You got plenty of time to try and figure it out. It's time, Like, okay, lefties, you're not getting as many play appearances. Does he sit overall is the next question. I don't think that's going to happen just yet because of what I said, Like you and I have seen this a thousand times. Council has already seen it in his time. He can look awful. Shoot, we saw it earlier this year with hap end with Dansby Swanson where it looks like these guys can aren't playable to like these guys are you know, red hot and huge parts of the offense. These things change in the council even said it a couple of days ago. I can't remember who he was talking about. It's like you can't really predict when it happens. It just kind of happens, like you know, you just all of a sudden, It's like all the work that they're putting in the work and then that work finally pays off. But it's like when does it happen? Because it's not like they just decided to be like okay, now all work and put in the work and try and get right. But we know he inhaps working. It's like when will it click? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think didn't he say something like anyone who tells you that they're lying if they think they know when it's going to happen or as it's happening. I guess Matt Shaw is still just kind of out there but not making a ton of progress. So it's not like I mean, he's sort of running out of time to get like locked back in and trusted and sort of forcing that issue to where he could be part of that outfield Max. Maybe I'm exaggerating that a bit, but there's not a ton of time, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, yeah, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I'm not getting anything any sense that he's very close. Yeah, yeah, Like, so we're at a point. I think what we were told most recently was we're at a point where he's still not swinging all out MVP. He's not swinging one hundred percent, and we're at a point that when it gets to that and when he's ready to go out on a rehab assignment, it's going to be a longer rehab assignment. Like my guess is like this isn't in three games, Like it's a week, ten days of rehab assignment to get like your bearings and then you're back. So like I think we're looking at September as a point of when maybe he can be back helping this team, and then you're talking about like what's his role and how much can he help? Like Peedro Ramirez is awesome right now, Tyrone Taylor is having a great season, so you have a really nice bench. Michael Conforto's probably behind Pedro Ramirez on the back. I mean he is, because Peter Ramirez is getting pretty regular starts. Uh So it's it. I don't I don't rule him out as helping this team this season. But you're you're not off base by saying like we're running out of time here if he's not swinging a bat one hundred percent, like he's got to go out and like he's got to go swing the bat. You know, like, well, it's it's a little odd, like how long this is lasting because there's no structural damage. It sounds like, but you know, rists are weird and and I think it can I mean, isn't that what Roman Anthony's had like all season long? A wrist? Like yeah, and like these things and it is like there's probably there's there was someone else that I was reading about recently that's had a risk issue that it's fully healed. There's no problems, it's just lingering. The pain is there. There's so many bones in there, there's so many little things that go wrong. And I don't think this is like a huge concern long term, but it does sound like this season has kind of been a hiccup for him. But yeah, Matt Shaw, maybe maybe we That's why Tyrone Taylor's here. So it's not like this huge concern as far as the construction of the team.
Speaker 2: I think final thing put you on the spot. Does Pete crow Armstrong have your MVP vote?
Speaker 1: You know, like if the season ended today. So yes, you would be my pick if the season ended today. I was flabbergasted by the reaction after so Wednesday, both of them put on a show him and show Hey. Show Hey homered in like a ten pitch at bat to lead off the game. Pete so the first pitch Pete saw, next half inning sent it into the seats. Pete would double and homer again. Show Hey would single and homer to bring them like it was a seven to one Cubs lead, and show Hayes hit a homer to make it I think cut it to seven to six. It got a little tense there great game for both guys, really exciting, just a fun battle between two superstars. There is a lot of pushback among national media saying like, show hasn't pitched in like a month and a half. Maybe I'm exaggerating on how long it's been. Every single time they talk about, oh, he's gonna throw a bullpen, they push it back, who knows when this guy's going to get in a game. But they're saying, well, he's been a dominant you know, you could just say, like what he has already is a dominant relievers performance. Okay, Peak Armstrong doesn't pitch, Shoeyotani doesn't play defense. Shoey Atani is not as good of a base runner as is pek K Armstrong. There are all parts of a game. If Pek Armstrong puts up a ten more season and choey Otani gives you ten more innings or fifteen more innings this year, look if he gives if he starts all of September and gives them a ton of innings and is dominant, it may swing my boat and continues to hit like how he's hitting, but right now by way to runs great A plus, Peak Armstrong is better by war peak or Armstrong's better peak. Armstrong's arguably having one of the best defensive seasons ever. Like we're we're talking about like Willie May's Andrew Jones type center field defense, and he's just like he's the best player on a really good team. I guess you could say that about show. Hey, he's the best player on the best team in baseball, but it's I don't and I don't really subscribe to that stuff like it does like he could be on a bad team and if he's MVP, I'm gonna say he's MVP. But I just think like the like for some reason, there's his pushback on like there shouldn't be a debate like he does one guy does both and one guy is just a regular position player. I don't. I don't get that argument, especially when we have of like ways to value these things, and you can say, maybe centerfield defense is overrated. I've seen that where they they're putting too much value on the centerfield defense. I don't know. I watched this guy every day and it's a different It's there's something different about the way he plays center field. I know people like get sick of the highlights and like, oh, this wasn't a big deal. It's because he gets these insane jumps and makes everything look normal. We've watched enough baseball and we watch it live, and seeing him live every day, there's something about it. I'm not saying he's running away with it, or this isn't a debate, or we shouldn't have the discussion or why. I just was so surprised by the extreme pushback of like you have to pick show hey, he's pitching, show Hey pitched one hundred and sixty innings of like Cy Young caliber ball, and like what was that twenty two and lost because Aaron Judge had sixty two home runs and put up a ten more season, So it's possible to beat just put up a ten more season, which Pete, I think is at eight WAR right now. So I mean, it's a ridiculous season, one of the greatest club seasons ever, and I think right now, you know, if if he continues to play at this level for the next two months, he's gonna put up like ten or eleven War. So it feels like to me, like you've got to give it to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people say pitching and defense, like it's not two distinct concepts here, and I do think Pete is going to make it hard on voters. I think all these metrics, Pete's gonna, you know, if not come out ahead, He's going to make it a very, very very close call. And I do think you kind of have to allow for these exceptional you know, once in a lifetime seasons that I get that show Hey is the incumbent. But you know, I don't see why the Dodgers would force him or ride him that hard on the mound, given the amount of pitchers they and how long they expect to be playing. And I think we're all in agreement here that what Pete is doing offensively is a lot more sustainable. And you know, if the Cubs kind of run through the finish line, if they catch the Brewers, if Pete does have like that ten war season, I mean, listen to the players, right, This is kind of how we started this episode of you know, the Kevin Gosman's and Clay Holmes being like this, you know, this defense is awesome. Can't wait to have these guys, you know, playing behind me. And Pete is certainly you know, a lynch pin there. It's not all him, But what he is doing. I think that's kind of what the MVP is about, Like you can't just give to the same guy every single year. And I mean, given show Hay his track record, I'm sure he's going to try and force his way back onto the mound and he'll probably have like a crazy September and maybe he does ultimately win it. But Peter already made this a difficult conversation like weeks or even yeah, months ago, and he hasn't enough yet. And you're right, like those like ten war seasons are gonna capture people's attention for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to be clear there, I will not succumb to show Hey fatigue. If he's the if I feel like he deserves it, he's going to get my boat. But right now as it stands, I would lean Pete. But we'll see how much he pitches down the stretch if he can go get it. You know, I think he says he doesn't care. Show Hey says he doesn't care, but my guess is he does. He's like he can. Yeah, yeah, these guys, all these guys all have egos, right, And I'm sure and Pete even said, like, you know, I'd be lying if I said like I don't think about it or don't want MVP like he wants it. So like, I hope it's a fun battle, and I hope they entertained that a lot of everyone, because that's that's what ultimately this is all about. All right, that's it from us, So we will be back next week with more episodes of Northside Territory. Thanks so much for listening to everyone.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what I was gonna say. Thanks so much for listening everyone. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things cubs. Thanks for watching and listening. Take care everyone,