Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security. Let's talk about this.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about our conversation at Carnegie Hall with Robert Smith. We'll do the full Carnegie Hall recap later on. Yeah, but A, I mean, it's always a pleasure whenever you get to speak to Robert Smith.
Speaker 4: Great guy.
Speaker 3: We had a conversation with Robert Smith and Paul Judge at Carnegie Hall on my birthday, ironically enough, and we spoke on stage for about forty five minutes and then we had a conversation off stage. And one of the things that he's very passionate about, and he's actually spoke about this on when he came out in Easia as well, is the HBCU broadband issue. And this is something that I don't think a lot of people are fully aware of. And we actually put a tweet about it, and we put it up and it got a lot of traction. So just want to kind of cover that because this is actually a pretty time sensitive news event that I think deserves attention. So this year, the Bidy administration and state governments are spending sixty five billion dollars on broadband infrastructure. So they have an infrastructure project to upgrade America's broadband system. It's the largest investment in our lifetimes when it comes to you know, broadband infrastructure. So here's here's the thing. This is why it's important. I believe there is one hundred and one HBCUs, and those HBCUs, those one hundred and one schools produced fifty percent of all black engineers, fifty percent of all black attorneys, and eighty five percent of all black doctors. So the majority of our black professionals are coming from HBCUs. So the HBCUs are important, right, But here's the problem. Only eighty two but eighty two percent of HBCUs existing broadband deserts. So we talk about food deserts a lot, but we haven't really spoken a lot about broadband deserts. Whereas it's hard for people like you know, we live in New York, or if you go to La or Atlanta, it's hard for people to fully understand, like there's really broadband deserts in America. But when you go to a lot of these HBCUs, they're in Mississippi or Alabama, or Louisiana or rural parts.
Speaker 4: Of Texas Carolina.
Speaker 3: These are rural communities where they don't have the same internet power or broadband access that we have the luxury of having in New York, in Miami, in LA and San Francisco, different things in that nature. So that's a major issue because that prevents not only the students, but also communities because it's said that half of the black people that live in America live around seventy HBCUs, So half of the black population lives close to seventy HBCUs. So the PCUS not having broadband access is not only bad for HBC use students, but it's also bad for the communities. So now you see it's bigger than just a college issue. It's a Black American issue, it's an American issue, but it affects so many there's so many different ripples that go into play here. So Deloitte did a study and they said that even increasing the broadband penetration pause by ten percent would have created more than eight hundred thousand jobs from twenty sixteen to twenty nineteen. And McKinsey found that closing the broadband gap was one of the solutions to add more than three hundred billion dollars to the economy to actively black consumers. So this is something that's extremely important because so you have to have you have to put a proposal to be thought about to get the money right. So it's one plan costs four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, So seventy plans for the HBCUs were cost around thirty million dollars.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, there's a couple of parts to it, right.
Speaker 5: So the first part is that the federal government is going to release the funds to the state. The states have the right to disperse the money to people who have submitted plans, and so one of the things that and when we spoke to Robert about this, one of the things he did was took the initiative to create a plan, and so he created a plan around an HBCU and the total cost of it, you're right, was four hundred and thirty thousand dollars to create not a broadband desert, but have active broadband inside of a HBCU, which in turn gave broadband access to the community surrounding at HBCU.
Speaker 3: Going So, it's extremely important because the funds I believe are going to be dispersed starting in June.
Speaker 5: The plans have to be submitted by June. The funds will be dispers by the end of this year.
Speaker 3: So it's time sensors. Long story short, it's time sensor. It's extremely time sensitive. And if this doesn't happen, who's to say when this is going to be done again. So this is this is very important. This is very important because there's no way to survive in this in this economy without having proper Internet access. From an educational standpoint, like it's hard to learn, it's hard to communicate, it's hard, Like it's hard to get a job, especially now. A lot of jobs are remote, right, but you can't really have a functional job remote if you don't have high Internet access. So there's so many different things why this why this issue is important, and this is something that elective of elected officials should be held accountable for making sure this happens not only on the state level, but on the presidential level as well, President Biden and the whole administration. This is something that needs to be talked about a lot on a national Black Caucus, to Republicans, to Democrats, to everybody. This isn't a partisan issue. It's just an issue that just needs to be done. So regardless of what your political affiliations are, politics does play a part. And you can't just brush it off to say, well, politics aren't important, because they kind of are important. Because this is an extremely important issue and this is solely a political issue, Like the politicians are going to decide this issue. So this goes back to my whole philosophy on voting is important. It's just a matter of a strategy put in place. Just voting blindly for somebody. No, that's not the best way to go about it, having super packs, holding people account.
Speaker 4: Ernest what's up.
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Well, picking and choosing strategically who you put in office so they can uphold the agenda that that's part of the political process. That's important, and that's something that we have inn We've done a good job as far as just voting, but that really hasn't made too much progress because we haven't put the economic power behind it, we haven't put the pressure behind it, we haven't put those have to go hand in hand with voting. It's not good enough just to vote. You got to have political plan and action and money behind the votes to make the politicians do what's important. And you have to be aware. That's another thing. A lot of people don't even know what this even exists, or they might not even know why. So hopefully now after explaining it, you not only know why, you know it exists, but you also know why it's important.
Speaker 4: And I mean, it poses the real question. Right, let's get it even more context to it.
Speaker 6: Right, So, if there's seventy HBCUs with fifty percent of the African American population living in proximity to them, if we did that right, if it took four hundred and thirty thousand for one school, if we did it for all seventy, the toll is somewhere around thirty one.
Speaker 4: Million, thirty million, thirty thirty one million.
Speaker 5: We're talking about an infrastructure bill that was passed for sixty five billion.
Speaker 4: Thirty million is always going.
Speaker 2: To and we won't even talk about how much.
Speaker 5: We're talking about bridges, tunnels, infrastructure. Broadband thirty million can provide adequate access to the Internet for half of the African American population thirty million dollars. So think about that right, Like, think about what life would look like if there was no broadbrand, Like and they pose a question where early allegion exists, No, how how can we exist?
Speaker 4: Put out the internet?
Speaker 5: Right, we wouldn't have access to this, But imagine what that does for communities now that have access. Right, if we want to have the best, how can we compete if we don't even have the resources to act adequately, research, develop, learn, teach without.
Speaker 4: Having the infrastructure.
Speaker 5: Thirty million is a I mean, it sounds like a lot of money when you're talking about a bill that's going to be thirty two billion is going to be put towards you know, internet infrastructure is this is a small small, small small feet the fact that we don't know about it, and there's no excuse, right, we're telling people about it.
Speaker 4: We're making people aware of it.
Speaker 5: We had people when we put up the post acts what is broadband, which furthermore tells us like, yo, we have like when we say like we're far behind, like we need to be on top of these things. This is something like you said, this doesn't happen every decade or every three decades.
Speaker 4: This is a once in a lifetime thing.
Speaker 5: And to not have us as a priority and as part of this infrastructure bill is a travesy. If we don't do something, who knows, Right, when Robert Smith was on stage and he was talking about the Fourth Industrial Revolution happening, this is going to be a major pillar in it, right, because yeah, they can pass this bill now, but what happens is they disperse this money over five, ten, fifteen, twenty years. And if you're not in any of those plans over the next five, ten, fifteen, twenty years, where's our community.
Speaker 4: What happens about HBCUs.
Speaker 5: What happens to our best and brightest and most intelligent from our community, what happens to them? That's what's on the line here. And so like it's a serious issue and it's something we can do.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: We put the link up to where you can write to and where you can submit plans, and it's done right like his team, they've done it.
Speaker 4: It's a proven thing that works. So we got to take action.
Speaker 7: My first thought is if we don't get this money, that's an act of intellectual terrorism. My second thought is what does it cost to repair the water supply issue in Flint? So when we're talking about these topics, and this is why, like us, taking action is really key. The water desert, the food desert issue that it exists in broad band, healthcare, issues that exist in our communities. It's a travesty man like for thirty million dollars to not go to our communities but billions be shipped to Ukraine other nations. I think it's a it's heartbreaking. So whatever we can do to make sure that we get this money, please, let's do it. I feel like our communities are being actively attacked and very secret and quiet ways.
Speaker 2: This is heartbreaking. This is heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so yeah, so you know, anything that we can do. I mean, we have a platform. So as a as a media outlets, our job not just to educate, but to also spread awareness and news is extremely important. So we get to you know, that's the good thing with being a media company. You get to curate whatever you want to talk about. So if the vast majority of people are not talking about it, then we have an opportunity to talk about it and hopefully, you know, people will take action from learning about it and you know, learn more about it and see raise more awareness, spread it on your platforms and hopefully it becomes a trickle down in fact, because it's important, and like Ian said, you know, millions of dollars gets sent to Ukraine and God blessed. But ultimately, we have to find a way to make sure that American citizens are sufficiently taken care of because if not, it's only gonna be bad for the country. That's what I'm saying. It's not it's not a black issue. If if we if black people don't have broadband access, if HBCU people don't have broadband access, that is going to lead to the fall of America. Because you're some of the brightest minds out of this new age. You're you're limiting your pool of talent. So it's not something that it's not something that just just affects black people.
Speaker 4: It affects all people.
Speaker 3: So this is something that you know is important, and you know, glad we got a chance to highlight it. And uh, like I said, I'm gonna tell the rest of the Robert Smith's story later on, but that one in particular, I thought was uh important to talk about. Midshell, my graduates from my school being force backdrop drop.
Speaker 4: Mike drop backdrop drop.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous micro criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,