Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, it is of Monday, April twenty eighth.
Speaker 3: Welcome to your Morning Run.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy Robot and I'm TJ Holmes, and I just want to in the interest of full disclosure, that you know that this is take two on recording this because we had the date wrong. This is how we're going to start things off on this Monday, folks. Yes it is April twenty eighth. Always good to have you with us. But let's get going on this Monday. First up, everybody outs. The Sistine Chapel is now closed to the public and getting ready for the cardinals as preparations get underway for the conclave. After a beautiful goodbye to Pope Francis over.
Speaker 2: The weekend and just before francis Is funeral, and unexpected and remarkable meeting took place at Saint Peter's Basilica between Presidents Trump and Zelenski. Plus a deadly attack at a Vancouver street party when a man plowed his suv into a crowd, killing at least eleven people and injuring dozens more.
Speaker 1: Also on the run this morning, two men arrested for stealing Homeland Security Secretary Christy Nomes purse in DC last week, and both men are reportedly in the country illegally. Plus President Trump suggests NFL owners are stupid even he was worked up and caught off. And this weekend's Shadeur Sanders draft drama.
Speaker 2: And a disgusting story about an NFL coach's son who took advantage of Sander's story with an awful prank call to him. Plus Christopher Columbus is making a comeback President Trump announcing that Columbus Day is no longer Indigenous People's Day.
Speaker 1: Also on the run this morning, a piece of Titanic history sold at auction for hundreds of thousands of dollars plot twist, though it didn't even go down with the ship. Also at the box office, we have a new phenom. Sinners has now pulled off something even Oppenheimer and Barbie couldn't. And the newest inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have been announced. But it's who wasn't on the list that is making waves. That one I'm literally scratching here as I'm talking to you. One of undoubtedly the greatest artists ever on the planet was left off very curious.
Speaker 3: As to why two years in a row. By the way, it was a double snob.
Speaker 2: All right, we begin our run in Rome. The Sistine Chapel has officially been closed to the public as preparations for the upcoming conclave are underway today. In fact, this morning, more than two hundred and twenty cardinals are meeting at the Vatican right now to decide the exact date of the conclave.
Speaker 1: So as of this recording, we're still a waiting official word from the Vatican, but we know it's going to be some time between May fifth and May tenth. It has to be. There's kind of a formula here. Nine days of morning has to happen that began when Pope Francis funeral. That started with his funeral on Saturday, but then within fifteen to twenty days from the date of his death, which was last Monday, they have to start the conclave. So you put all those numbers together, that's how we know it has to happen between May fifth and May tenth. One hundred and thirty five of the cardinals, just that number is going to be eligible to vote because only cardinals under the age of eighty can pick the new pope.
Speaker 2: That's right, and tens of thousands of people lined up to visit Pope Francis tomb over the weekend after his funeral on Saturday morning. The tomb is a simple marble tomb with only the inscription Franciscus on it, as he requested. The marble is from the town where his grandparents lived in northwest Italy, and directly above his tomb is a crucifix with a single spotlight on it. The Vatican sent out an image of it. It had a single white rose lying on top of it, and it was perfect. It just looks simply beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's elegant, it's beautiful, nothing fancy. If you didn't know any better, you wouldn't know anybody of import necessarily would be there. It is gorgeous. I didn't know the detail about the.
Speaker 3: Marble from yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: That is really really cool. But yes, people have been filing through there. The pope is the first pope in more than a century to be buried outside Vatican City. He chose this particular shirt Saint Mary Major as his final resting places, a basilica that was near and dear to him. So because of that, because he was going to be leaving, not be buried in the Vatican, so after his funeral on Saturday, his coffin had to be moved to the Basilica. That allowed for a beautiful procession. Again, it's something we have never seen. Nobody on earth has seen this before.
Speaker 2: That's right, because it's been more than a century. So it was so impressive to witness. Yes, we got up at four am to watch the funeral and the procession. The Pope's coffin was traveling in his beloved white Pope Mobile. That was the last time we saw him actually alive.
Speaker 3: With the people.
Speaker 2: So pretty cool to see that same white Pope mobile, a mobile going through all the sites. You could see, the Colosseum, the streets of Rome, and thousands of people lined those streets, cheering, clapping, capturing the historic event on their phones, all to pay their final respects to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was all on Saturday. But then on Sunday there was a special mass for the Pope in Saint Peter's Square, made even more notable because it was led by Cardinal Pietro apparently, who just so happens to be the favorite to become the next Pope. I say Pope, I say favorite, not our favorite. Yes, there are actually people out here who are taking bets on who's going to be the next guy. He is a favorite. If you want to go put money on it, you can.
Speaker 2: But that seems sacrilegious to bet on who the next pope is.
Speaker 1: It sounds like modern times. Sounds like us. Nothing is sacred as sounds like us.
Speaker 3: That's fair. At least it sounds like America, all right. Next up on the run.
Speaker 2: Just before the Pope's funeral on Saturday, there was another remarkable site to witness. If you haven't looked online, the picture is everywhere.
Speaker 3: It was a really cool.
Speaker 2: Scene, an impromptu meeting between President Trump and President Zelenski. They were literally sitting knee to knee in red velvet chairs in a corner of Saint Peter's Basilica, near the entrance of all things.
Speaker 1: Of all places, for this to happen, these two men sat down and are talking about ending a war at the pope's funeral, sitting in one of the most pressure places in all the land. Probably it was, and it wasn't supposed to happen, right, This was the first face to face meeting they've hadded, since that other one, you might remember two months ago in a different location, it was contentious in the Oval office, you know what we're talking about. And this one only happened in Rome because they just happened to be walking in together. They just happened to They literally bumped into each other exactly and decided to sit down and have a seat. This was a cool scene. But to think that something was negotiated there. I can't wait to hear how this all plays out. But the White House did not release any official account of what the two men said, but Trump spoke about it to reporters, said Zelensky seemed calmer and that he thinks he wants to make a deal.
Speaker 2: Trump also notably criticized Russian President Putin once again, saying this time I want him to stop shooting, sit down and sign a deal. We have the confines of a deal, I believe, and I want him to sign it and be done with it and just go back to life. Yesterday, Secretary of Saint Marco Rubio referenced the President's waning patients, saying this week will be a really important week in peace negotiations for the United States, saying we have to make a determination about whether this is an endeavor that we want to continue to be involved in.
Speaker 3: Let's hope that meaning that the Vatican moves the needle.
Speaker 1: Our next leg of our run Texas to Vancouver now, where a thirty year old Canadian man is in custody after police say he drove into a group of people celebrating during a Filipino street festival over the weekend, killing at least eleven injuring more than two dozen others, and officials say they expect that death told to rise. The victims right now range in age from just five years old to sixty.
Speaker 2: Five, So sad and for now. Police have charged Kai g Adam Lowe with eight counts of second degree murder. Police have ruled out terrorism as a motive, saying they are very familiar with low because they've had significant contact with him over mental health issues in the past.
Speaker 1: This attack happened just after eight pm, where witnesses describe the street as wall to wall with people lined up for food following a concert there. According to reports, a black suv that Lowe was driving initially moved cautiously and then rapidly accelerated and plow into the crowd. There to hear that they expect the death sold to go up. You can to hold your breath.
Speaker 2: Like how much yeah, is he going to go on? They said more than twenty four people have been injured and some of those injuries were very serious and critical. We will keep you updated on that story. But next up on the run. Police have arrested two men they say are responsible for stealing Homeland Security Secretary Christy Nome's purse on Easter Sunday, authorities arrested the main suspect and they named him forty nine year old Chilean national, Mario bustamante Leva, and on Saturday. That happened on Saturday, and then on Sunday they arrested a second man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Police say both men are in the country illegally and that Bousta monte Leva is a serial offender responsible for several other recent thefts in the area of The men reportedly tried to use Nome's credit card and access her electronic devices.
Speaker 2: According to police, boustamante Leva sat next to Nome and her family and slid his foot under her chair dragged her purse over to him. He then hid it in his coat and walked right by several Secret Service agents as he left the restaurant. Please don't believe that Nome was targeted. But inside her purse was her driver's license, her apartment keys, blank checks, her DHS security badge, her passport, and three thousand dollars in cash.
Speaker 1: What she had to tell reporters saying, this individual is a career criminal who has been in our country illegally for years. Unfortunately, so many families in this country have been made victims by crime, and that's why President Trump is working every single day to make America safe and get these criminal aliens off of our streets. This is an incredible story. I've said to you, dude, they did they ever figure out what they had done and who they had done it to? More particularly, I don't know.
Speaker 2: They might not have known, but once they started trying to access her ATM or her at least all of her credit cards, that's how they were pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yew the story. Though. Now as much as the Trump administration has talked during the campaign.
Speaker 4: About getting illegals, in their words, getting illegals out and the harm they're doing, now a member of the cabinet has possibly been the victim of a crime committed by someone in the country who was undocumented.
Speaker 1: What do you think they're going to do with that story?
Speaker 2: Well, it's going to be a big part of the story going forward, for sure, and we won't This isn't the last we'll hear of it.
Speaker 3: That is definitely, we know that much, all right. Next up on the Run, The NFL.
Speaker 2: Draft drama surrounding Shadeur Sanders had everybody talking over the weekend. Even President Trump was all fired up about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sanders, of course, the superstar Colorado quarterback and son of Hall of Famer Dion Sanders, was finally drafted by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday after he suffered perhaps the most unprecedented drop by a player in NFL draft history. He had been projected at one point not too long ago, to possibly be the number one overall player drafted. Even if he wasn't, people saying, yeah, he might drop to the top three, and even if that he was deafinitely going to go in the first round. That was all the talk. This dude felled and was eventually taken in the fifth round.
Speaker 2: His drop was an ongoing I mean, you were following it minute by minute. You had your phone up the whole time during the weekend.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about that movie in a second, but yes, you were on pins and needles. But yeah, it was increasingly confusing because everybody was talking about it. Even the President, as we mentioned, chimed in expressing his bewilderment of the massive drop that happened. In true Trump fashion, he wrote on social media, what is wrong with NFL owners? Are they stupid? Deon Sanders was a great college football player and was even greater in the NFL. He's also a very good coach, street wise and smart. Therefore, Shador, his quarterback son, has phenomenal genes and is all set for greatness. He should be picked immediately by a team.
Speaker 3: That wants to win. Good luck, Shador, and say hello to your wonderful father. You can't make it up.
Speaker 1: But all that's going on in the world, it did reach that level. It's all the draft was going on. But it was the story of the weekend in sports, and these stories the weekend of the draft. But yeah, the President decided to chime in on it in true Trump fashion. I didn't mind it so much, but say with us here on this Monday morning, Ron. When we come back, we're not done with the Shadur Sanders story. Why the NFL have to open an investigation into a prank call to Schaduur, Well, we now know who did it and you won't believe who's responsible. Also coming up, Columbus is getting his day back. Also a Titanic piece of history being sold for four hundred thousand dollars, but it actually didn't go down with the ship and Centners is now a phenom. All right, welcome back, and we continue on this Monday Morning, Ron, We continue with Chadour Sanders adding to his drama over the weekend. The NFL opened an investigation into a pretty disgusting prank call to Sanders from someone pretending to be an NFL team representative, and now it's been revealed the son of an NFL coach was behind it. This happened on Friday, and Robes, this was even worse. Of course, his kid was going through it, but cameras were on him and this was all caught on live cameras. It was being streamed at the time, and it was just it was an awful moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was surrounded by his supporters when Shador got a call from someone claiming to be with the New Orleans Saints who said they were going to pick Shadoor but that he'd have to wait a little while longer, and then abruptly hung up. Sanders had a confused look on his face and said, what does that mean? Well, now it turns out twenty one year old Jax Ulbrich is responsible for that prank call.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This twenty one year old is the son of Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, who says he had no knowledge of this ahead of time. But according to the team, the younger Ulbrich unintentionally came across the draft contact phone number for Shador Sanders off an iPad while visiting his parents' home and wrote the number down to later conduct a prank call. So he didn't go looking for the number, but his dad apparently left it out. This was a number that nobody had. This wasn't shadur Yeah cell phone number. It was a brand new phone that only NFL teams had the number two. It was bought specifically for the draft. So he ultimately the kid did gave the number to an unidentified friend, who was then the one who actually made the call, but Jax Ulbrich was there when it happened.
Speaker 2: So Jax the Son apologized, writing on social media. What I did was completely inexcusable, embarrassing, and shameful. I'm so sorry I took away from your moment. It was selfish and childish. I made a terrible mistake and messed with that moment. He went on to thank Shador for taking his call and accepting his apology, which actually was pretty dang cool of Shador to do.
Speaker 1: I am a bigger look you and I You and I watch college football. Colorado was must see TV because of this kid. Him the Travis Hunter loved watching. I was a fan of this kid. Now I'm rooting for him harder than I could ever imagine. Exactly what was done to him in this draft, what he had to endure, what he had to do with media, what he had to do with unnamed sources talking about his character that now has hurt his career and in this foolishness, first Jersey NFL Jersey I will ever buy, We'll say Shader sanders On, I love that. All right. We'll continue a run now with Columbus. He no longer will have to share his day because President Trump says Columbus Day, well, once again belong to Columbus and Columbus alone.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: No more Indigenous People's Day, which has been celebrated the past several years on the same day as Columbus Day. Actually here in New York, I don't know what to call it. It's confusing, you know. We've been going back and forth because there's still a Columbus Day parade, but it was not okay to call it Columbus Day, so we had to call it Indigenous People's Day.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 2: In the entire theme of President Trump trying to go against wokeness, this is another one of his moves. He says Indigenous People's Day actually was never made a federal holiday. It was something President Biden declared through presidential proclamation each year.
Speaker 1: So don't expect that same proclamation this year. President Trump announced on Truth Social he'es quote bringing Columbus Day back from the ashes is how he put it. He went on to say, the Democrats did everything possible to destroy Christopher Columbus, his reputation, all the Italians that led him so much. They tore down his statues and put up nothing but woke or even worse, nothing at all. Well, you'll be happy to know Christopher is going to make a major comeback. I'm here by reinstating Columbus Day under the same rules, dates, and locations as it has had for all the many decades before, and.
Speaker 2: The previous proclamations recognized the inherent sovereignty of indigenous peoples and the importance of upholding the rights and dignity of the indigenous people who were here long before the colonization of America's began. And for the record, I believe, hopefully we're all still being taught this hope we were taught in school. Columbus never actually set foot in America. It was the West Indies.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: I do not remember being combat in school.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, I do. With the West Indies.
Speaker 1: I believe fourteen hundred and niney two Columbus sale the Ocean blue.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess that's yeah, that's a fair point.
Speaker 1: It depends on how you want to look at this. He was He's responsible for opening up a trade route and connecting two different worlds because he traveled across Give him credit for that. If other people say, or let's ask other people, he's responsible for some of the worst atrocities on people who are already here. And he landed West Indies with Bahamas and a couple of places he's never set foot. It's so amazing that we argue over a guy who's a hero who discovered a land that.
Speaker 3: He never stopped at foot.
Speaker 1: That's where we are. We continue now on our run on this Monday morning with the Titanic. A piece of Titanic memorabilia just sold for four hundred thousand dollars at auction. What's unique about this particular piece of Titanic history is that it didn't actually go down with the ship.
Speaker 2: Rather, it's a letter dated April tenth, nineteen twelve, that is, five days before the Titanic went down. Was written by Colonel Archibald Gracie, an American real estate investor who was a first class passenger aboard Titanic.
Speaker 1: So what happened was he got on board, he wrote the letter to a friend and mailed the letter when the Titanic made a stop in Ireland. The letter reached its destination in London, a couple of days before the ship actually went down. So what is fascinating collectors and historians about this letter is not just its existence, but because of one particular line that Gracie excuse me wrote that proved to be an eerie bit of foreshadow.
Speaker 2: Describing Titanic, Gracie says in the letter, it is a fine ship, but I shall await my journey's end before I passed judgment on her.
Speaker 3: Oh ki. Yeah, the letter was won by an anonymous bidder.
Speaker 2: Gracie was the great uncle of the seller, and he actually managed to survive the sinking and even wrote a book about his experience. But wahmah, he died eight months after the sinking, but he got the book out and the letter is now in someone's very expensive hands.
Speaker 1: He is considered one of the His book is one of the greatest accounts of a first person. But he died because he didn't never fully physically recover. Wow after yeah, you survived that until that did so he's kind of still died in the Titanic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he kind of did.
Speaker 1: Huh. We'll continue on the run here on this Monday morning with a phenom at the box office. We're talking about sinners. It is now a phenomenon. The horror flick Storry Michael B. Jordan has pulled off what's a rare and seemingly impossible feat these days for a major movie. It made just about as much money as its second weekend as it did in its opening weekend. That's almost unheard of these days.
Speaker 2: All movies have a second weekend drop, and it's an important industry measure of just how a film is doing. If a movie drops fifty percent from its first weekend to its second, that's actually considered acceptable, even good in some circles.
Speaker 1: Cinners dropped about six. Fifty percent is considered acceptable. It dropped six, so it made forty five million dollars estimated at the box office this weekend. Domestically, it made forty eight million in its opening weekend. That's a six percent drop. That's the lowest such drop that we've seen since Avatar back in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: That's called word of mouth and a really dang good film that we saw. On the second weekend, we actually couldn't find a theater. It was all sold out and we had to go to our third choice, we.
Speaker 1: Fills in a weird, kind of weird We like to go to eleven thirty am showings and very.
Speaker 3: Early showing no one's there, and we love that.
Speaker 1: When you were looking for this movie and you're looking for an eleven thirty showing and it was almost full, we both say, all it, this movie's gonna do gangbusters this weekend. Yeah, And sure enough it played out.
Speaker 3: We could tell. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for some more perspective, Oppenheimer dropped forty three percent, Barbie dropped forty two point six percent, Gladiator two dropped forty three point six percent, so on and on and on. These are all major, like mega hit movies that dropped about fifty percent the second weekend. So it's just I mean, I can't wait to see what it does next weekend.
Speaker 3: Go out and see it.
Speaker 1: It was amazing and the music listening, we're big on the It's replaced Snow White Form my soundtrack, favorite soundtrack for the year. Continuing now on our morning run, continue with some music here, right, The twenty twenty five class of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees has just been announced, So forgive us here, but we're going to start with who did not get in? Mariah Carey. Mariah Carey didn't get in. This is our second straight year that she has been nominated and has been passed over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously her credentials are ridiculous. I love this fun fact. Only the Beatles have more number one songs, and her debut album was number one for eleven weeks. So if she wasn't good enough to make the cut, you might be saying, who did.
Speaker 1: Cyndi lauper like that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did pretty good outcast, very cool, very nice edition. Okay, Joe Cocker.
Speaker 3: Yes, seventies legend.
Speaker 1: What's that? It's the song he did? That was a Beatles song. That's the one that I was playing it this morning, and it's the famous one. I'll look it up here in a second. White Stripes, tell me you know that one?
Speaker 2: No, but I know bad company coming. Yeah, sound Garden. That's from the nineties, right, they were a big band back then. Chubby Checker, Twist, Let's twist again.
Speaker 3: You were playing all the music this morning.
Speaker 2: Lobbying, by the way, for Checker has been going on for decades, so this was a big, big win for him. Finally, performers become eligible twenty five years after their first commercial release, and about twelve hundred industry types vote for who they want in It is wild though that Mariah Carey didn't make the cut.
Speaker 3: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, well you argue, okay, she wasn't a rock and roll person, Fine, but Whitney Houston's in, NWA, rap Rube is in. I mean, so there's yeah, and some of these people have touched I guess rock in some way form of Janet Jackson is in. She had I guess one big rock hit if you will. But they've argued that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has not been kind to women.
Speaker 2: Yeah over the years.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I think only two women were nominated and only one got in, Cidey Lamper and Mariah Carey. And Mariah doesn't make the cut. They have us we shall see, all right. Well, no, we're not going to continue. We're going to wrap up the run here by giving you something to consider as you go about your day.
Speaker 3: It's our quart of the day that's right here.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit long, but it's you'll understand the point of the quote, and it's a good Monday motivation quote. Keep going, no matter what, you keep moving. I know you've heard this before, but life is not a sprint. It's a marathon. We go through seasons, darkness and light, darkness, and light, and we are strengthened by adversity.
Speaker 1: That's a wonderful quote. If we sometimes I don't think we should give the names. Right, would you take advice differently based on who was giving it, if you just hear it advice, quality advice no matter who said it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think so too.
Speaker 2: But it's really fun in this one, especially to know who said it. Dion Sanders, and I just.
Speaker 3: Thought about I saw this. I thought about what his son's going through.
Speaker 2: And when your son's going through something, you're going through something, maybe even more so, this was a cool quote that maybe he'll even lean on and shar will lean on.
Speaker 3: Today. I will give it to you one more time. Keep going, no matter what you keep moving.
Speaker 2: I know you've heard this before, but life is not a sprint, it's a marathon. We go through seasons, darkness and light, darkness and light, and we are strengthened by adversity. And with that, hope you have a wonderful Monday. Thanks for running with us.
Speaker 1: I'm am A Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes. We'll see you on the run of Marble