Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The United States seen as a predator, China is a big gorilla that people are scared of.
Speaker 3: Russia to history is not just about great men or they might look like that at the moment. It's about raw logistics.
Speaker 2: It's about understanding geography and geology and working at how you can find a way around that.
Speaker 1: Peter Frankopan, the historian making sense of a shifting world order? Do you think that Putin and Trump have something in common in that these wars with Ukraine and Iran respectively, are with much less powerful countries. But have they both underestimated the kind of power that those countries can nevertheless wield?
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 2: Powerful men often miscalculate and think that their muscles and brain power are stronger better than anybody else's. And the challenge in a system where you have a single powerful leader who expects everyone to bound down to them is that they're very hard to get to listen to.
Speaker 1: Advice from Bloomberg Weekend. This is the Mishal Husain Show. I'm Mishal Husain. We're at a moment right now when the US Iran War is again resurgent with ripple effects across the Middle East and for global shipping and trade. That war has already cost tens of billions of dollars, and at precisely the same moment, there is another, longer running war, one that is much less in the international headlines, but which also has implications beyond the countries actually doing the fighting, Russia and Ukraine. I've been thinking a lot about the combined effect of these two conflicts, and as far as the Ukraine War is concerned, there is something very notable that has happened in the last few months. The way Ukraine has been striking Russia is really having an impact economically as well as on the battlefield, where there are many thousands of Russian casualties every month. There are also links between these two situations that are worth exploring, the tactics being deployed, the relationship of Iran and Russia, the comparison to past moments, and that is what led us to Peter Frankopan for this episode. He is a historian, but one who has charted the rise and fall of Middle as well as great powers, who's plugged into China and Central Asia and also Russia, Ukraine and the Middle East. He's always looking for undercurrents that tell a wider story, so transport connections, trading routes, pipelines that reveal where new markets are being found. Peter is Professor of Global history at Oxford University and the author of a book called Silk Roads, which he updated on its tenth anniversary last year, and The Earth Transformed all about climate and battles over time for natural resources and land. He is especially worth listening to if you're interested in drawing out common threads and working out what we need to brace for next. I hope you agree. Hi Michelle, Hello Peter, how are you.
Speaker 2: I've had a very busy year, but you caught me in an absolute sweet spot where I've got lots of things I want to do and I'd rather be talking to you than doing them.
Speaker 1: I feel guilty though we're taking you away from thinking big thoughts and probably your next book.
Speaker 2: No, I've got I've got a manuscript. I got a hand in in a month. So I do need to I do need to slightly get myself under the cosh. But I mean I don't work without a deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm almost there.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I look forward to seeing that come out. Why don't I just start by telling you what made us reach out to you. It's essentially because your work has so often been about the links between places and people, links and surprise other people, you know, you find these connections. And right now we have an ongoing war in Russia and Ukraine which feels like it's in a new phase, and then we have a resurgence in the war between the US and Iran. And I just wondered, when you see those two conflicts and situations, what jumps out to you. What are your observations at those two I.
Speaker 2: Mean, the first one is that if you decide to fight a war of choice, it's very hard to win. If you're fighting a war of existence, then your capacity is limitless, and in that sense, slightly unlikely Bedfellows. You see Ukraine doing something similar to what Iran a doing, which is you can absorb enormous amounts of military superiority, enormous amounts of pressure, political, military, all the rest of it, and you can keep on going. Maybe not indefinitely, but it's quite hard to deliver a knockout blow. And you know, Iran has been fighting since nineteen seventy nine three Cold Wars, simultaneously, one with the great Satan as Iran is like to call it the United State, one with the little Satan Israel, and with Saudi Arabia. And it's done so for forty seven years with about three percent of the US defense budget. And you know, I'm not here to tell you whether that's a good or a bad thing. But you know, if your job is to stay in business and to preserve regime stability, then it's amazing how far you can go. So that's the kind of major takeaway that the United States has not been able to deliver a knockout blow to middling size if that's small to middling size country like Iran. And the fact that the capability to keep on going was mispriced by Washington, as it was mispriced by Moscow.
Speaker 1: And what is your assessment then, of the state of play between Russia and Ukraine, because that has been the war, much less in the headlines in the last few months, and yet it feels that something distinct has happened in the Ukraine has been doing better than many people imagined.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no question that is an investment, particularly in drone technology, but also in the hierarchy of the targets. It's trying to hit from what Wildbery's logistical sense through to the oil refineries, and that has brought the price of the war into daily Russian life. And one of the reasons it hasn't been in daily Russian life is if you have state control of the media, you can choose what it is that your citizens here. When you have massive balloons of smoke over Moscow or Saint Petersburg, it suddenly becomes more real. That capacity to invest in drowing technology has taken several years and has a lot of outside support and investment in innovation. We're saying that at a time when last year Russia took less than one percent of Ukrainian territory, probably for the cost of something like two hundred thousand servicemen's lives as well.
Speaker 3: As many injured.
Speaker 2: The question, I think is what it is that gets Russia to come to the negotiating table, and that's been open to them at any point. But there's no question that the paper cuts that Ukraine are delivering to Russia are being very painful for the Russian economy as well as for citizens. Are therefore credibility in the.
Speaker 1: Regime and is part of that because of a link to the other war, in that Iran was a major supplier of drones and other military hardware to Russia, and then it ends up fighting a war for its own survival.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen all sorts of smoke and mirrors, I mean lots of noise in Russia. In fact, in the last month, in particular of people like Nikolai Patrusha, who's one of the gray cardinals around Putin, very experienced, say that Europe wants Russia to become a resource colony and this should never happen. If you look towards China, you know, from Beijing's point of view, that's exactly what Russia has become a resource colony where China gets metals, oil and gas at discounted prices and in return gives support both multi nateral agencies like the UN institutional support, but also lots of support that's meaningful for the Russian war effort. So I think you could see these echoes everywhere. But I think there's no question that Russia's challenge is to define what it is that it wants, and so far, the problem is is that Putin, it's not a particular river or a city that he wants to get to he doesn't believe that Ukraine should exist as a sovereign state, despite his famous essay on the Historical Unity of Russia and Ukrainians, where at the very end he says it's up to Ukrainians to choose their own future. We would never use force against Ukraine and so on, and that, I think is an existential question that if you're a Russian historian, is not new to Putin, and it's not new to the last thirty forty years. It has a long history and legacy in Russia.
Speaker 1: We're going to dig into a lot of what you've said, Peter further as we go on in this conversation, but I'd love you to take us back in time to how your own interest in Russia in particular, but in Iran and the Middle East as well began. You were born, I think nineteen seventy one, were almost the same age.
Speaker 3: So much older, Michelle, not.
Speaker 1: Really, but we're talking about the nineteen eighties and you know, teenage years. How did the interest in Russia begin?
Speaker 2: It began even earlier. I used to watch John Craven's News Round and well brought up I was it was a TV program that I was of a generation which I'm sure you're the same, where our parents actively discourage us from watching TV because they thought it would corrupt us. But we were allowed to watch John Craven, who did a sort of ten minute news bulletin at about five o'clock every day. And I was struck, even as an eight or nine year old boy, that all the news I saw at that time was the tail end of the Vietnam War, genocide in Cambodia, s S twenty missiles being parked in Eastern Europe pointing at us here in the United Kingdom, and to see that there were all these parts of the world, like the Middle East, that we never heard anything about in our classrooms. So the interest in Russia or the Soviet Union as it was then was to try to understand why it was that nuclear holocaust was expected on our lifetime, Michelle, And again these last thirty to forty years, we've come to think that the world is all about free trade, or possibly even fair trade, but to find ways in which we can cooperate together. And I think our generation was disquieted by the fact that there was a likely moment that the Coldvill would turn hot, so I wanted to understand that, and so I started reading lots of Russian literature and eventually Soviet literature too. I was very lucky to go to a school where we had a Russian teacher, and even luckier that my Russian teacher in our A level the year had gone to I think Q eight for twelve months, had learnt Arabic and came back and taught a small group of US Arabic, but also about Middle Eastern cultures, including Iranian culture, including the complexities of the Middle East. So by the time I went to university, I was already looking east, and I'm fascinated in the history of Western Europe, but I didn't think I could add much, whereas if I looked eastwards, there was a whole world waiting to be explored, and it felt to me not only interesting but important, And so I made a bet on that whined when I started my PhD on looking at those worlds that by and large people thought I was mad, because if you wanted to have an academic job, it was much better to do the Tudors or Hitler, because that's what students want, and the world I work on are slightly still slightly obscure, you know, for investment bankers, they'll call all of these places the rest of the world. I mean, China now has its own category, but our engagement with people who lived to our east is pretty minimal. And even now, despite guards of being in the news, despite the war in Iran, despite the importance of critical minerals, despite last year in April there being a war between India and Pakistan, despite this huge change across Southeast Asia in the last twenty or thirty years, apart from organizations like yours at Bloomberg, we still understand these parts of the world, not just imperfectly. We'd paid them very little attention, and it turns out that they are super important to our own futures.
Speaker 1: I'm going to share two things, one that is different in the way we were brought up and one that we have in common. Because I grew up in the Middle East, we didn't have television, so I had notice, no job, no news, no TV news or children's programming of any kind. Although I do remember my parents talking about Cambodian exactly the period you mention. But I also learned Russian at school, and that was also due to the geopolitical time because at that time the Soviets were in Afghanistan. My family in Pakistan wondered if one day they would come across the border, and they thought would be a good idea of someone in the family knew how to speak Russian. So I do recognize the time you're talking about. And of course then there was that period after the end of the Cold War and before nine to eleven where it felt like you could travel anywhere, you could do anything, and then the world started to look a lot darker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the old saying is if you're an optimist, learn English, if your pessimist learned Chinese, and if you're a realist, learn how to assemble a kalashnikov. I mean that Afghan War and its conclusion, followed by the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the fall of the Berlin Wall at the end of the eighties, and then ninety one when Soviet Union collapsed, it did pressage a huge set of changes, and those changes sometimes we think of as being in the Soviet world, but they had a massive impact on the global economy too.
Speaker 1: But look at Russia, which changed fundamentally in economic terms. But there's a mindset that remained. And I'm thinking particularly about put In former KGB man one form of control that he knew was essentially repay. Another form of control.
Speaker 2: Well, it's small groups of men who make all the decisions. And in fact, that world's the eighties that you missed out, Michelle because you weren't allowed to watch TV. But you know, we used to have Soviet leaders who they'd be dead for a few days, for a few weeks, like Chenenko before it was announced the world, they all looked like they've lived in a deep freeze. And the group around Putin all in their seventies. Now they've all grown up together. There's no sign of a new generation coming forward to replace them. And I think that in some ways that the decision making in Moscow has been as narrowly dictated under Putin as it was under the Soviet Union. So there's a lot of continuity there. I mean, you could argue that parking vast amounts of assets into the hands of about thirty families changes things, but I could promise you under Marcist Leninist states there are still forms of control that families are very adept at keeping within their own structure. So I think one of the challenges is we thought that Russia was changing. We thought that Russia was going to become more like us now with a bit more gas in the tank of thinking about where did this all come from? You know, Russia has had the same foreign minister for twenty years. Putin's essentially been in charge for more than a quarter of a century. The group around him likewise, So I think, like in any relationship, either Russia's changed or in fac Russia never changed. It's just we misunderstood it and got it wrong. So I think that that would be my more persuasive line of trying to argue, which is that the end of the Soviet Union was seen as a moment to regroup and to reharness what Russia would look like as a great power. And Russia, despite its military weakness, the fact the fact that it's a smaller economy than Italy, has a small population's declining life expectancies, all those metrics, it still has the world's largest nuclear arsenal, and it has that hydrocarbons and the metals that mean that it shapes global markets. So Russia gets a seat at the high table, whether it deserves it or not. And Russia tries to leverage that weakness into a stronger position than it might otherwise have.
Speaker 1: So, Peter, can I then take you into the future and ask you about how various situations in different parts of the world, problems or conflicts are likely to play out in your view, the first being Ukraine and Russia the backdrop we've already discussed. Do you see a landing zone for an agreement at any point or are we looking at almost endless, perhaps low lying conflict.
Speaker 3: Well, I should, probably, with the.
Speaker 2: Modesty of a historian, say I'm much better looking backwards than forwards, because I've got facts and data in front of me and shaking the bones to guess what happens. There's a slight hiding to nothing. I'd have thought that the logic would be that there would be a frozen conflict in Ukraine, that eventually one or both sides reached the stage of exhaustion where there's a sort of fudge, and that those fudges can last essentially indefinitely, as they as they have done between North and South Korea, as they've done in Cyprus since nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 1: Kashmir, you could say.
Speaker 2: Kashmir too, and that you can establish a modus for Vendi. There are ways in which face can be saved. It doesn't look to me that those are the noises that are coming from Moscow of a willingness to say, let's cut our losses. Trump last summer offered Putin, I think, a deal that he thought was impossible to turn down, of bringing Russia back into the G eight family of nations, back into the global economy, US investment into metals in particular, and gas and oil fields in the north of Russia as well as elsewhere, the technical expertise that's needed because sanctions, you can beat them, but they're expensive to beat, and he couldn't understand. I think why Putin said no. And Putin did say no because he started to give a long lecture about this is Russian history that goes back a thousand years of confrontation from the West. So I can't although the logic would be a settlement of some kind that requires one or both sides to reach a stage of exhaustion, and I can't see that yet. So I fear that things will keep going until Putin or Moscow decides that it's time to cut losses. And there has been some noise about that properly for the last month or two. That might escalate over the summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's what I wanted to dig into, because you wrote about this in your foreign policy piece recently that average monthly casualties are running at more than thirty thousand. This is on the Russian side, and that Russian fighters, once they're sent out onto the battlefield, survive an average of twenty to thirty five minutes. I mean, this is almost incomprehensible to me, those kinds of odds.
Speaker 2: Well, those battlefield numbers that drawn from a small number of Russian military bloggers. But interestingly, this week the head of CIA has said that this is confirmed by US military intelligence too. I think the point is that the casualty levels are unsustainable. Russia is losing more on the battlefield than they are able to recruit, and so far the men who've been called into service have been from distant regions for the big cities, and from minorities. Disproportionately, there are lots of minority populations in Russia. The problem now is for Russia to keep sustaining itself and just to stay in it's on me. It needs to be starting to look at how it can scripts from cities, and that that brings again the war closer to home. And again you'll remember from the Afghan War, Michelle, that one of the reasons why it became difficult with the Soviet Union was mothers of fallen servicemen which started to take to the streets to protest that their boys would never come home again except in body bags. And that that is something that is always difficult in any authoritarian state, whether you control the media or not, is that groups of people start to say, we are willing to take our protests because we're nothing left to lose. But that is something I think that can happen both in Russia and also in Iran, and I'd probably have both of those on my BINGO card for coming up later this year. That then, the question is, like in all periods of history with a persecution of Christians through to how this worked in Islamic societies is you either have to become more tolerant and you need to let some pressure into the system, or you have to repress and you have to crack down.
Speaker 3: And cracking down tends.
Speaker 2: To be an attractive show term solution, but it can make things much much worse.
Speaker 1: I'm still wondering at its heart, what does the Ukraine project, the Ukraine War represent to Putin? Or is it a combination of all of these? Is it an imperial project, is it recovery of lost prestige? Is it emotional or is it a question of his own survival because if he has to make a deal or end the war in Ukraine, what does that mean for his standing domestically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question. I think it's lots of things.
Speaker 2: I think there's no question that many of us think that Putin having an existential threat or something that's badge as an existential threat is important because it justifies the means. It's a really important tool of control. I think beyond that, what does Putin want, I think, is to be able to frame this in a context that this is not just about Zelenski or Kiev. It's about a persistent, long running way in which Europe in particular is trying to undermine Russia and to colonize it. And we might find that impossible to understand because the way we see it, we're trying to help Ukraine protect its sovereign territory. But that is something that has gone through the system in Russia, and it's absolutely believed that this was all to do with a plan that the West always had to destabilize Russia. That Russia is a person and on Granta never will be and no matter what Russia does, And so the war is a way of saying, this is our way of showing how we all bloody Europe knows this. It's a complicated one in Russia now, but it's something that's deeply believed in Russia that Europe and particularly the British are behind all of these things. And again that's the very similar conclusions are drawn in Tehran too.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Putin and Trump have something in common that these wars with Ukraine and Iran respectively, are with much less powerful countries. But have they both underestimated the kind of power that those countries can nevertheless wield.
Speaker 2: No question, And I think that that powerful men often miscalculate and think that their muscles and brain power are stronger better than anybody Else's The challenge in a system where you have a single powerful leader who expects everyone to bound down in front of them is that they're very hard to get to listen to advice, and so we see Putin micromanaging the war. We see Trump opening the straits of Hormuz, threatening to charge tariffs on passage on volumes of cargo, and then twenty four hours changing their mind. Both of them blow in the wind and do some extent. Trump and Putin suffer from the from the lack of discipline in sticking and staying on target, not defining what their goal is, and not then thinking about how do problem solve? And that's probably not a great position to be in. And arguably, if you are to ask a jobbing history and like me, that was why countries chose to have parliaments and democracies. It wasn't about rights and freedoms. It wasn't just about rights and freedoms. It was about taking those powers away from kings, taking powers away from single rulers who might mismanage things. And it wasn't about the belief in the brains of crowds or the sanity of crowds. It was that wars are very risky, and in Britain, for example, the selection process from the seventeen hundreds onwards about which wars to get involved with tended to be quite cynical. And they tended to be very very carefully based on where were we likely to win. That that's not the way that Putin thinks about things, not the way that Trump thinks about things. Interestingly, Shijinping in Beijing has been watching this very carefully, and I think has been repricing what this means for Chinese military architecture, not just with Taiwan, but with other arenas too.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly what I wanted to ask you about next. Because China has those deep links with both Russia and Iran. It has bought, always still buying in oil from those two countries, are other links as well. So you're saying it's benefited because it is seen the exercise of US military power and it's learning from it. But overall, how has it been impacted because economically the loss of those imports of oil from Iran must be significant.
Speaker 2: Well, have you a blast one of your excellent corresponds in Bloomberg has been flagging over the last couple of months. China's imported about forty five percent less oil than it normally does, and to understand why that's the case, begs lots of different questions are difficult questions Number one might be that China's economy is overheating and the demand has fallen, which I don't think looks likely to me, even though there's obviously pressure on Chinese economy. The second is that China's oil reserves are much much bigger than anybody had realized, or there's another way in which China's getting oil that we're not able.
Speaker 3: To see through.
Speaker 2: So I think that there is a real question about how that piece of the Hormer's closure has affected China, and in fact all of Asia. Eighty four percent of the oil gas that comes through Hormuz doesn't end up in Europe or Africa or the United States. It ends up in Asia. So Asian economies are at the thick end of this. And I mean from the point of view how this has been analyzed. Obviously, one of the best things you can do if your military strategist is to see how weapons perform on the battlefield, and when you have intense conflict like we've seen since twenty eighth of February, you can benchmark what pieces of kit perform well and how that happened A lot in the India Pakistan confrontation that wasn't very long last April. But when you can see how anti M missiles perform, how you can see how radar detection works, you get real time experiments that are not being done in a laboratory or in theory. So China harvested a lot of logistical information. But I think there's also the question about leadership decisions on the battlefield.
Speaker 3: And to see that the big player.
Speaker 2: That should outnumber and outfight the smaller doesn't happen easily, I think requires a lot of thinking, and there's a lot of thinking going on in in Beijing around exactly that.
Speaker 1: Now that mispricing, how would it use that knowledge of the US. Could you imagine China making a move on Taiwan knowing not only how the US has used military power lately, but also knowing that this war has cost a lot of money already. Pete Hegseth has put it at more than thirty seven billion dollars the last few months and is short of munitions and missiles.
Speaker 2: Well, Taiwan is a different geography. First of all, our islands have great levels of resilience, but they also have extreme vulnerability. So there are all sorts of ways in which China can make life very very difficult in Taiwan. Taiwan again imports more than ninety five percent of its fuel and about the same proportion of its water. So finding a way to strangle Taiwan or to make things difficult, you know, all you need is one shipment of bananas that has an unusual spider or pathogen on it, and you say, look, we're going to do inspections that they're going to take several weeks, so we don't have enough people to monitor and to investigate this, and it's nothing personal. Suddenly life become difficult, so that there are ways in which if you want to put pressure on somebody's windpipe, there are aggressive ways of doing it, and then there are slower, softer ways. I'd have thought the law of numbers in Taiwan looks to me more complicated if China doesn't want to force the issue, despite the fact many people think that she is determined to do this and be ready to do this. By twenty twenty seven, there are lots of anniversaries coming up about the founding of Communist Party, anniversaries China of maw taking over mainland China. There are all sorts of ways in which pressure can be imposed, and again because of the war in Iran, we forget that. Scott Bessent in Davos in January had said that the single greatest threat to the global economy, think was great choke point was on the semi conductor industry of Taiwan. There are all sorts of ways in which you can make that difficult too and compromise. So I think that a lot depends on what kind of game it is that China wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you could also say that China the status quo is not a bad one. There is a you know, there is an economic relationship that exists, and perhaps that's not such a bad status quo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Taiwan spends less on its defense than Trump's demanding us to spend in Europe. Taiwan typically around two percent of its GDP on defense, So you know, I think a lot will depend. I mean, what's interesting is if you travel around China and Taiwan, you talk to anybody under the age thirty five, they really don't care about these kinds of things. So I think in the case of Taiwan, the vulnerability of the strait as a choke point is what is really important both to China, where so much of China's important exports come through that strait, but also to places like South Korea and Japan. You know about a quarter of UAES exports and imports comes through the Strait of Taiwan. So these choke points are a reminder that history is not just about great men, or they might look like that at the moment.
Speaker 3: It's about raw logistics.
Speaker 2: It's about understanding geography and geology and working at how you can find a way around that. So one of the reasons why SEPEK, the China Pakistan Economic Corridor is such an in part for China is it provides optionality to be able to send things through to places like Gwadar in due course on the south coast of Pakistan. Not particularly well utilized at the moment, but it could be if it could be in the right or the wrong circumstances. And I think having those options is what forward strategy looks like.
Speaker 1: Gwadar is that big port that the Chinese have built on the south coast of Pakistan. It's interesting you mentioned the UAE Peter because I was looking at this sign of new cordiality and raprosche more between the UAE and Saudi Arabia because those two countries. Again, this has probably pass most people by because of the international climate we live in, but they've had their differences before the Iran War and through the Iran War. And I wonder what you make of relationships within the Gulf for this moment in time.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought the first one is that necessity is the mother of all invention. And with Iran not just sitting as a threat, but positioning itself and thinking of itself now as a Hegemond thinks that survived the worst that the United States can throw, thinks that it's got proper ability to close and put pressure on the global economy. That means that lots of other voices are not necessarily in Iran's camp, but need to have some kind of settlement. Suddenly, those differences of opinion between UAE and Saudi Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and others suddenly looks that, well, how do we find a regional solution where we're all going to be part of this together. We talk a lot about China It's investment, port, infrastructure and loans and so on, but other players are doing something similar in Saudi Arabia and its investment in the economy of countries like Morocco. You could see that this is a kind of Mark Khni world of middle powers try to work out how they can all negotiate together at a time where you see a lot of big predators out in the wilderness. You know, the United States seen as a predator in large parts of Asia, China, you know, it's a it's a big gorilla that people are scared of as well as seeing their opportunities. Russia to Ira probably on the edge of that category as well. And I think that those those moving parts mean that there can be a time of consolidation of people put in their differences to one side.
Speaker 1: Well, let's draw all of this together, Peter, before you leave us, because it's a year since you wrote just after the Twelve Day War between the US and Israel and Iran. You wrote at that time that the past few weeks have brought reminders of how a new world order is straining to be born. One year on, how do you see things? Is there a decline in US power that we're seeing play out and what ultimately replaces it.
Speaker 2: I don' think this is a decline. I'd have thought that you could take the opposite view, which is the US, despite the chaos of what's happened, has shown that it is willing to go in and put its money where its mouth is, even in places where it said it wouldn't you know, the US has held its its share of the global economy for the last fifty years with you know, and in terms of its innovation, it's military, its cultural impact. I think it's it's it's wrong to price the US as being a declining power. But having said that, there's no question that Trump has talked a lot about bricks, and Marco Rubio has talked a lot about the global world order does not have the institutions required for the world of today and tomorrow, and that the global order is whole the United States back. But lots of these states that I work on are talking quite heavily about could you have metals exchanges? Could you have crops exchanges where you have lots of these states that are producing rice, wheat and so on, and to do price fixing and make rich economies like the West pay for them at inflated prices. So that sits alongside some of the new tech where most of the Chinese models are open sourced most of the stuff in the West, try to monetize. Those are two very, very different trajectories, so that that new world order. I think I was right that there was the strain of what that might look like. But you know, these states don't have huge amounts in common, but you can work together if you want to and it suits you.
Speaker 1: You are a scholar of the past. But contrary to what you said earlier, you have talked plenty about the future. I'd love to just ask you to look even further ahead, as we close to twenty thirty six. What is something underappreciated today that will be all around us and so obvious ten years from now.
Speaker 2: I think the first thing is the impact of the El Nino system coming towards us in the next twelve to eighteen months. I think that the sea surface temperatures that we're seeing in the Pacific and the Atlantic are not just abnormal, they are on a magnitude of scale beyond anything we've seen before that that will do things in terms of heat waves, wildfires, droughts, crop impacts that I think really deserve to be thought about, and that's going to create much higher levels of inequality of countries that are energy poor and food poor are going to have a tough time coming ahead. That was going to post questions also about the global environmental and humanitarian order. When you and I'm Michelle ending up where we started, grew up, the UN had a fundamental role in humanitarian relief and disaster relief.
Speaker 3: That's receded a huge way. So one of the questions when we see.
Speaker 2: The next twelve and eighteen months coming what happens in stress organized in stress countries.
Speaker 1: Well, it'll be plenty of material for your future books. You've written one about the Earth being transformed in climate and the battle for natural resources. What do you think you will be writing about in ten years time? You'll be charting all of this and more.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping I'll hung up my pen and I'll be sitting on a beach somewhere reading reading clever things that other people have written, rather than having to make my own mind run over time. Look, I think when you see the problems around energy, around food, around new global orders, I think it's an odd thing to say, but they do focus the mind. They do make you think about long term strategy. They do make you think about what it is that you need as a sovereign state to protect yourself and also how things go looking forward. So I think if some of those questions can get answered, I'll have a nice easy retirement watching the news and seeing what's going on.
Speaker 3: But I've got quite a bit to do before then, I think.
Speaker 1: Peter Frankopan, thank you so much. Thanks for taking us around the world, back in time and into the future.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much having Mishal.
Speaker 1: That's where we left it. There is no excuse now for Peter not to get back to that manuscript and his looming deadline. And please do have a look at my written notes at Bloomberg dot com forward slash Mishal. They are always there as another dimension to these episodes. This time you'll find links to the data behind what Peter and I discussed, details of his books, and a greater sense of how we as a team dug into the themes before and after the recording. And that takes me too. The Mishal Husain Show team. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlew. The video producer is Andy Hayward. Guest booking by Elan Bird, social media by Alex Morgan, and our music is by Bart Warshaw looking after us in the studio with John Canfield, Lucy Conquest and Ian Green. The executive producer is Louis Lewis. And at Bloomberg Weekend thanks to Brendan Francis Newnham and our executive editor Katherine Bell. Until next time, goodbye,