Speaker 1: I am all In again.
Speaker 2: Luke's Diner with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartRadio Media. iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: We are graced with.
Speaker 1: The presence of one of the great singers today, David Archiletta. Welcome everybody to Luke's Diner.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Incredibly talented you are David. You may remember David from American Idol, but his journey as a singer, songwriter and performer has been nothing short of remarkable, and today is extra special because his brand new single crem Breulet is officially out. Welcome David, tell us a little bit about your journey. You were it came very close to winning American Idol. I think in what the seventh season you were sixteen years old. Tell us about that. How did you get discovered? What was the audition process like for you? An amazing journey?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the I mean yeah, it was a pretty wild time because it was, you know, I just started high school. Not I didn't start high school. I was in my junior year of high school, and I wasn't expecting everything to go pretty crazy because I was just I went to audition, but I thought, you know, I'm just going for fun and it'll be a good experience. I didn't say bye to any of my friends because as I thought, I'll be back soon. It's not like I don't know. I just was like trying to be realistic about it, and I thought, I'm not going to be gone for long. And I just ended up never going back because I just kept going every week and all the way to the finale. And then I got signed to record deal and went on tour, and but I wasn't anticipating any of that at all, because I was like, just a few months ago, I was getting ready for my Spanish test and so that was my priority. And then it went from that to releasing an album and trying to find a business manager and a tour manager and management and hiring a band and getting merchandise. It's just all these things I'd never even fathomed.
Speaker 1: Right, You're sixteen years old, How could you possibly like take all this in and process? It must have been a bit overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was pretty interesting, but and it was overwhelming. I think it was it was a it ahead of me, like my life was moving faster than I was able to keep up with, and I was kind of like, what how am I supposed to keep up with all this? Like it seems amazing, it seemed like a dream come true, but I just it wasn't even something I thought of doing.
Speaker 1: So that was my question. Did you as you were growing up? Obviously you have this gift, this vocal gift, this gift of expression to sing in the way that you do, But you never had a vision of I'm going to end up on that stage in front of twenty thousand people or one hundred thousand people, and that's where I'm going. That wasn't in your life path. You hadn't thought about that. You were just sort of going along and singing, and then all of a sudden this contest came along, this show. I mean, did you want to be on the show? I mean you must have wanted to be on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did want to be on it, and I guess I just looked at it as maybe I was short term goal with how I was seeing things like it'd be so cool to be on Americanaalt and sing for people and sing songs and share what I love to do. In that sense, but I just didn't think of everything else that would come, like the business side of it. So I mean, you know, I was a minor, so like my my dad was involved. And while I wasn't looking at it that way, my dad did see all that happening, and he was trying to keep up with it and say, David, like, be mindful of this, mindful of I think. I also kind of like I'm overwhelmed. I don't think I want.
Speaker 1: To write it's scary, right, I understood. I totally feel you. I completely understand.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do because the same thing happened to me, and really yes, and I didn't. I didn't believe it a I didn't believe what they were telling me. I didn't want that responsibility. It was too much, and I walked away from it because it was too much. I couldn't handle it. I didn't have like this vision of where I wanted to go. I was just doing this thing because I enjoyed it so much and it made me feel free and it made me feel at peace, and it was just something I did and I did it better than everybody. And when people started getting very intense with me about it and telling me things I just didn't. I didn't believe them. I didn't believe them. My ego wasn't ready to handle it because I didn't have much of an ego about it. I didn't see it that way. So I know what you felt like, I can completely sympathize with it. And it at least you hung in there, right, you know you hung in there? What do you attray abut dad too? How did you hang in and stay through it as a sixteen year old? Was it? Was it because your dad was helping you? Was it because you had your dad with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. And I think, you know, my dad got a lot of a bad rap for being a stage dad.
Speaker 1: What else is he going to do? Yeah, you got to protect your.
Speaker 2: Kid, That's yeah, that's true. And I think my dad was a bit of a stage dad. And I think sometimes parents get really invested and involved they want to protect you, but I think they also get caught up in the moment as well. And I mean, I've been writing a book about just the experience of growing up in American idol and that all all that process and the dynamic. But I feel like sometimes, I mean, parents can be intense, but they also a lot everyone else around you feels like the parent is an inconvenience because it's like, we just want to do whatever we want with this young person because they're young and they'll do whatever we tell them to. And I think my dad was an intense person, but he also didn't let them do whatever they wanted with me. But maybe my dad thought he knew more than he did when it came to the business as well. And you know, sometimes it does get sticky with parents' parent child relationships. Like my friend Janette McCurdy and her mom, you know, I think that's an example. She wrote a book about it called I'm Glad my Mom died, and she had a pretty crazy dynamic, and you know, there's they're dynamics to my relationship with my dad that were pretty wild as well. And I look at people like Britney Spears with her dad and when Houston or her dad, Beyonce with her dad, like I think it's like we're your parent. Being the way they are helps you get as far as you do. And so it's just like when is it enough or when is it too much? When does your parents need to learn how to let go? And I think sometimes your parents don't ever learn to let go, and you have to kind of push them back because for them, it's like you're still my child and I still have to tell you what to do and how to do things, and it's like I'm getting into adulthood now, and I think there's some extreme examples like Britney Spears where it's like your parents never do let go, even when you try to become your own person. They try to find some kind of control still over you because they're so used to being the one to have the final say. But it's like I'm my own adult, I have my own business, I have my own employees, and sometimes parents don't like that when they've been so invested and a part of seenior career grow and feel like they were responsible for a lot of that work. So it's it's it's it gets really tricky, and sometimes parents will if there's not a healthy balance and relationship between you and and the parent and the child, they might find more manipulative tactics to stay to make you feel like you're not capable of doing things without them, Like it's I kind of look at it like like the Michael Jackson syndrome in my head it's like they you stay forever a kid because you were programmed to always think like a child because everyone around you wanted you to stay young and not be able to fully think for yourself as like, so you start be like, even though I was in my twenties, I was still like talking really high and like preserving my innocence because is that's kind of what the people around me wanted? And is this very It's kind of interesting to look back on.
Speaker 1: But so let's let's pivot a little bit. We're going to get into some foody type questions. I love what you're talking about, really appreciate it. But this episode that we you know that we're talking about, it's about breaking up with people, right, it's when relationships come to relationships come to an end. We see Lora Lai and telling Rory to indulge in pizza and ice cream after her breakup. Do you have a go to comfort food for times like that?
Speaker 2: David, Oh, my gosh, I think I'd have to go with probably like the advice for Lorlai of pizza and ice cream, because ice cream. I do keep a pint of ice cream in my No, not a pint. What is it? The bigger one. Is it a gallon? No, it's like this big of ice cream.
Speaker 1: We can say Court.
Speaker 2: Court, I want to say to Court, okay, of ice cream?
Speaker 1: All right. So when you get through a breakup, are you the type to eat your feelings or do you lose your appetite completely? Oh my gosh, depends right, Maybe.
Speaker 2: You know what I think after a breakup. I do lose my appetite. Okay, I like what did I do? Like? What did I do? I think I'm like very I can get very perfectionistic where it's like what did I do wrong? Or because clearly, like I'm like, did I make a mistake to even enter the relationship?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It was going to end?
Speaker 1: What would you rather have a Well, obviously you wouldn't want to have a breakup meal. You would have a breakup playlist? What would be on the playlist? Top two songs on your brain? A playlist?
Speaker 2: What are the songs?
Speaker 1: Would be songs?
Speaker 2: It depends on the breakup. Why I ended? I mean, I've written written songs to get it. Sure, I mean, but I think I start going on like a workout, like a workout kick after because I'm kind of like I want to show that I'm thriving that I feel I'm going to be missing out on or you get all the stress out of your system. But I will say, like a lot of times i'll eat, I'll like lose my appetite, but then I'll like binge. Like I love ice cream and I like to drizzle peanut butter on it. That's good.
Speaker 1: So if you could team up with an ice cream brand, uh and create the David Archer let us signature flavor? What would it be called? And what's it? The peanut butter?
Speaker 2: And I feel like I need to say a crimbal A, which I do, is really good. I shot the video for crimberl A, and my social media guy bought two crimberl Ay's for me to eat, so I had one after and then I had one the next day because it was so good. I was like, I shouldn't have this, but I ate the crimber A lunch so.
Speaker 1: Well, God, sounds very good. What about chocolate chip pancakes? It's comfort because that's what Rory and Laurel I swear by.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh So if you had a choice pancakes, the chocolate chip pancakes, pizza, ice cream, what's what's your winner. What's your winner?
Speaker 2: I think I'm more of like a French toast guy when it comes to breakfast.
Speaker 1: French toast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's like comfort. Like if I'm thinking like a breakup, I'm like, I just want to have something good. We just went through a lot right now. There's a lot of emotions being processed, and this person I was attached to is now detached, and I have to get the hang of that wrench toast with some good butter on it and good syrup.
Speaker 1: There you go. It would be really glass of milk. You're good to go. Do you have more songs we can look forward to in the future, and he related to more signature dishes. Maybe yeah, because crimberl is a very memorable title for a song. What do you have? Do you have maybe Beef Wellington coming up?
Speaker 2: Is that your next Sea Wellington?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I might write that one myself.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that actually sounds pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Blaming filet of yak something I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I don't know. I think anything with beef I think my new gay community would probably take and run with it another way. They Oh man, I will have to see because I do love me some food. My favorite app is Yelp because I love to find all its food spots. I like to look up lists of like what are considered the best restaurant at the time, what restaurants are buzzing? All right, So we.
Speaker 1: Talked about breakup food. What about celebration food? What's your big go to when you're celebrating something big like the release of your Cremberlay single? Are you what are you celebrating with? You go out to dinner and you know, you buy your manager and your friend's dinner.
Speaker 2: I mean, I probably have to go with the theme of you know, crembrewle a and because like, just like my after my music video, we ate I Cremberlay. So I think I probably just want to get everybody crimpala.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's number one in your hierarchy of desserts. I see.
Speaker 2: It's like all that's on my mind right now is crimber a.
Speaker 1: Gotcha understood.
Speaker 2: But I do like pizza and I like tacosh me too. Oh yeah, you have a taco spot.
Speaker 1: I do. I do, And I like the hard Shell and we go there once a week. Hard Oh yeah, hard Shell for sure. Oh yeah, I like the crunchy. Oh wow, yeah, the beef tacos there, I'm more of a.
Speaker 2: Soft shell guy, right, or like just the tortilla, even though I do like them when they're like the like guess Aria tacos where it's where it is like really fried and crunchy, right, and you like dip it in the I forget what it's called, I think, and.
Speaker 1: It's really What about before you go out on stage? Do you have any food rituals? Do you eat anything before you go out? Or you like to go out on an empty stomach.
Speaker 2: I try to not to eat have anything too heavy, so I try to do something with something lighter, like grilled fish or just grilled chicken, because if I eat beef, it's really heavy and I start getting sleepy and I need energy when I'm on the stage, so I try to go with that, maybe a little bit of rice or like a salad, and then after I I I'm starving after a show, so like I usually taco or pizza.
Speaker 1: Do you have any fun plans promoting Crumber late music videos, performances, What's what's coming up? What can we expect?
Speaker 2: I'm like doing like some tiktoks so nice, So people have to look at some of the tiktoks that I've been filming and I I mean, I I'm performing at the HRC event, the Human Rights Campaign tomorrow for my first time. I'm singing Crimberly like live for my first time there, interestingly enough, just not because they asked me to do, but it's like, well, I have the song just came out. I'll be singing songs like Freedom by George Michael because I did to cover that and held Together too. But I mean, I have like a dance party because I've gotten really since leaving Mormonism, Like I'm like, where where do I find a sense of community now? Because that is something that I missed from church's community. So I've been going to like DM festivals and like concerts and raves and things, and I feel that sense of community. There's So I'm throwing my own dance party in in a month or so and it's just called David Archilotta after Hours, and I'm going to have a couple of DJ friends come. I'm gonna I'm going to perform and then have a DJ party after because that's like my new happy place. So we're just going to dance to night So if.
Speaker 1: You were to come into Luke's diner, my diner, Luke Steiner, what would you order and where would you sit?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I think I'd probably want to sit by by you so I could have a conversation and chat, have a little more of a catch.
Speaker 1: Ye going to be at the counter? Okay? What would you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What would I order?
Speaker 1: I think we have Although I think Caesar could whip something up.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would have to go with the chocolate pancakes because that's I feel like that's where it hits the spot. I'm going to have to try that because I always have to try what's a good something that's known to hit the spot at a at a diner restaurant.
Speaker 1: Fantastic David Archiletta. Everybody get his single download his single crembrew lay today and we appreciate your time, good luck with your career. It has been great chatting with you and all the best Okay food spot sometimes absolutely man absolutely and remember everybody best fans on the planet. Thanks for the downloads and where you lead we will follow. Stay safe, hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.