Speaker 1: In the industry that I was previously associated with, which was large life insurance. If the database that I had access to could see the life day, it would upend modern medicine in a way that would be catastrophic. We could tell the insurance company how long you had to live to the money.
Speaker 2: Keep human biologist, Scary frakat, he's going to.
Speaker 1: Make you superhuman. We know that sedentary lifestyle is the leading cause of all cause mortality. You're breaking in that repetitively expired air, dropping that oxidative state. You're making the blood more hospitable to disease.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, I've got some huge news to share with you. In the last ninety days, seventy nine point four percent of our audience came from viewers and listeners that are not subscribed to this channel. There's research that shows that if you want to create a habit, make it easy to access. By hitting the subscribe button, you're creating a habit of learning how to be happier, healthier, and more healed. This would also mean the absolute world to me and help us make better, bigger, brighter content for you in the world. Subscribe right now.
Speaker 1: The number one health and wellness podcast Jay, Shet Jay Shenny, Zily, Jay Shety.
Speaker 2: He Everyone, Welcome back to you on Purpose, the place you come to to become a happier, healthier and more healed. You know that we're dedicated to making sure that you get the insights, the habits, the hacks, the advice that's going to help you uplift your life from wherever you currently are. So, if you're someone who wants to live longer, this episode is for you. If you're someone who wants to get healthier, even if you're starting from zero, this episode is for you. And if you're someone who's been hearing about biohacking and longevity and you're kind of confused and you're thinking, I have no idea where to start, this episode is for you. Today's guest is Gary Brecker, the co founder and chief biologist of ten Ex Health and the founder of The Ultimate Human. With more than twenty years of bio hacking and functional medicine experience, he is obsessed with the function and performance of the human body and finding innovative ways to help people achieve absolute peak function in their bodies. Please welcome to the show, Gary Breka, Gary, thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to be here at the top of the mountain.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: On the way up here, though, I was kind of like, not it on some of these places that are sticking out from the edge of the cliff.
Speaker 2: No, I've been looking forward to this. I'm a huge fan. I've been loving what you've been doing in early Thank you. I've been loving watching your interviews. I'm so glad to finally have you here. I remember when I first came across you told my team, I was like, we've got to get Gary on really.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, man, I mean super pumped to be here too. Man, me too.
Speaker 2: And I'm always trying to learn. I feel like I'm always trying to grow. I'm I'm new in this space in the sense that I got into in the last couple of years, and I'm learning from great experts like yourself. And I want to start off by talking about this because you talk about the ability to predict how long someone will live, and that sounds fascinating and crazy at the same time.
Speaker 1: It does always that possive. Well, first of all, it's based on large data, and it wasn't me just looking at blood work and gene tests and saying I can tell you how many more months you have left on earth. But if we got in the industry that I was previously associated with, which was large life insurance, if we got ten years of medical records on you and ten years of demographic data, we could tell the insurance company how long you had to live to the month. And there are enormous companies that do this. If the biggest one is probably a Fasano in Associates. But this is based on very very large pools of data. And remember that life insurance companies have data that no other financial services enterprise has. No other you know, bank has, CDC doesn't have it, Collegiate universities that are doing longevity studies don't have it. And that is that they know the day, the date, the time, the location, and the cause of death for hundreds of millions of lives. And they have blood work on these people. They have, you know, very in depth analytics on their demographic data. If you've ever applied for a large life insurance company or large life insurance policy, let's say five million, ten million, twenty five million dollar policy, there was at some point somebody determining not where you were on an actuary curve, but your specific mortality. And the way that it's done is you start with an actuar outcurve. Right, So if you're thirty five year old male, you have a life expectancy of acts. Of your twenty eight year old female, you have a life expectancy of why. The question is not where are you on that curve, but what is your specific mortality? And it's incredible how big data trends can actually predict and not only the onset of and the severity of, but how quickly you succumb to certain disease conditions. And what became glaringly apparent to me was that, you know, if the database that I had access to during that twenty plus year career could see the light of day, it would permanently change the face of humanity. It would upend modern medicine in a way that would be catched because they have real data, you know. So if you went to your cardiologists, for example, and he put some heart stints in your heart and you left his office, you may or may not ever see him again. He doesn't know if something happened to you three days later or thirty years later, and you if you pass because of complications related to the heart stint, or just died of happy ripe old age. But the insurance company know exactly day, date, time, location, and cause of death, and you can triangulate that back into the record and you can see where the mistakes were made either in diagnostics. As we know, medical errors is the third leading cause of death. And that doesn't mean that doctors are out to kill people or that the healthcare system is out to kill people. We know that it's completely overburdened and sometimes medical error occurs. It just happens to occur at a rate that in the United States at least is the third leading cause of death. And if you ever want to question whether or not insurance companies are good at predicting mortality, just look at what happened during the two thousand and eight eight in two thousand and nine financial services crisis. We had three hundred and sixty four banks fail. You didn't have a single life insurance company fail. In the United States, a valid death claim in America has never failed to have been paid. Now that's an impressive statistic, but you also have to realize that only two percent of life insurance policies ever pay a death claim. Ninety eight percent of all life insurance policies lapse. So I guess you don't really belabor that point. But the science of mortality is some of the most accurate science in the world, and if you really boil it down to the sum of its components, you find that it's predicting where processes in the body that are running on parallel tracks will finally converge, right, what we call code morbidities. When that happens, there is a parabolic rise in the ability to predict in the terminal end of somebody's life. We know that, for example, all human beings leave this the same way. We actually all die of the same thing. It's called hypoxia, lack of oxygen to the brain. So when you can no longer sustain enough oxygen to the brain that you know a brain function, that's essentially the definition of death. And we think of it as an event like a gunshot wound, a heart attack, bus, a stroke, you know, some other kind of event. But the truth is that this is a predictable curve. We used to use an underlying what we call a hypoxic curve. How well is this person managing oxygen or how poorly are they managing oxygen And once we were able to predict that, looking at blood cell counts, hemoglobin levels, hormone levels, nutrient deficiencies, you can very accurately discern whether or not somebody has a fighting chance of getting out of their condition or of that condition, you know, resulting in their demise. And you know, two things were very trying for me in that industry. One was that, you know, I really began to realize that it wasn't just data, there were human beings on the other side of these spreadsheets. But the second immensely obvious point that came out of twenty years in that career was that the majority of the reason why people are not living healthier, happier, longer, more fulfilling lives is were because of things that we called modifiable risk factors, just simple changes that they could have made to their daily routine that would have materially changed the trajectory of their life. In most cases, they had to do with simple basic nutrients that were missing from their body that were causing the expression of disease. And you know, anemia's D three deficiencies hormone and balanced not because of their endegrine system had a particular disease or pathology, but because it was nutrient efficient, and it became so obvious to me that if I'd just been able to pick up the phone and call any number of these people, you know, I could have dramatically changed the trajectory of their life.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, when I'm hearing you talk about oxygen the brain, which sounds so obvious, but it's something that is rarely articulated.
Speaker 1: Oxygen to the brain is not just gas entering the brain. You know, if you look at the molecular structure of a lot of the states in the brain that we talk about, Like if you were to say to me, what is a mood? What is an emotional state? Well, it's a collection of neurotransmitters, in most cases bound to oxygen. If you look at the moleculial structure of some of these activated, deactivated neurotransmitters, or some of these the differences between different moods elevated emotional states passion, elation, joy, arousal, or suppressed emotional states anger, you know, vengeance, despair, You'd find that a large reason, a large difference between these two emotional states is the presence of oxygen. You know, one of the reasons why no human being has ever woken up laughing is because you don't have the oxidative state to experience laughter. But can you wake up angry very easily? Lower to your emotional states do not require the presence of oxygen. And so when you know, if you want to do a fun experiment and I just just pinch your wife while she's in a deep sleep, she will instantly wake up angry. Right, I actually don't suggest that I may not. But if you wanted her to laugh, right, if you wanted her to be joyous, if you wanted her to be elated, aroused, you would have to you know, wake her up, improve the oxidative state, and then allow those emotions to come in to play. And and so you know, I have a saying that the presence of oxygen is the absence of disease. And so we know, and you know very well because you're you're you're in the space that we feel emotion in an area of the brain called the amygdalah right, a little two little almonds. And fascinating thing about this area of the brain where we experience every emotional state that we can experience if you're angry, you're angry in the amigdala. If you're elated, you're elated in the amigal area of the brain. Is that it is, according to MIT, the sole gateway to the hippocampus, which is where our memory is stored. And so when you start thinking about that from a physiological standpoint, like, well, the sole gateway to the hippocampus is through the amigla, But when you start thinking from a practical standpoint, then the sole gateway to our memory is through our current emotional state. And if that's how we access memory, and memory is what we draw upon our prefernal cortex, and our consciousness, our future draws from our memories, then if the amigla is what accesses the hippocampus part of the brain and taps into our memory, and then our conscience pulls from our memory, then this essentially means that your current emotional state determines your future. And I just feel like if we could improve the capacity for people to experience elevated emotional states for prolonged periods of time, not like a heart monitor, right, because you find so many people that are not in good physiological condition, that are trying to become in better emotional condition, right, better mood, and they are only able to reach these emotional states for short periods of time, like a heart monitor. So and they do all the right things. They wake up, they journal, they read self help, motivational books, they go to the right seminars, they try to express gratitude, even even fake their way through it. But as soon as they're done that intentional focus, it drops back down into the state where they most comfortably exist. And I believe a lot of this has to do with the oxidative state in the brain. It also has to do with nutrient deficiencies, right, I mean, every every emotion that we can feel, every every mood that we can experience, is a collection of neurotransmitters. As we have imbalances and deficiencies in these, then we cannot manufacture the moods and the emotional states that we really want to experience. And then we're told we have a mood disorder or a mental illness, and I think very often we just have a lack of mental fitness. And so when you realize, like the happiest people are the people that are moving the most, that have the greatest sense of purpose and that they're not necessarily the world's greatest biohackers. But they're eating whole foods, they're moving their body a lot, they have a sense of purpose. You look at the blue zones and some of the things that actually extend life. You know, we would see this in the medical record. Yeah, we're those people actually having some alcohol. Yeah, where those people actually having a little bit of elevated LDL cholesterol. Sure did those people eat sweets once in a while, Yeah, they sure did. But they moved on a consistent basis, and they had relationships, They had a sense of purpose, and for the most part, they ate whole foods and not any particular type of whole food, not any particular type of diet. Wasn't the carnivore diet that extended their life. It wasn't the keto diet that extended their life. It wasn't the raw food vegan diet that extended their life. It was the whole food diet, you know, just eating real foods. So I kind of diverted there for a.
Speaker 2: Second, But no, I get where you're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how sometimes my wife is like, you just eat people's face, you know. So the government you sit next to me on like a commercial flight or something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love it, I love it. Just how do we how do we? How do we do that? They're like, how do we get more oxygen into our brain?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? What does that look like?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we know that sedentary lifestyle is the leading cause of all cause mortality, right, And why is sedentary lifestyle the leading cause of all cause mortality? We know that the sitting is the new smoking. Well, we know why smoking was bad for you, right, it's short of the lungs. But uh, and you know that the nicketine caused permanent lung damage. And but it wasn't the really the nicketine. It was the reduction in the oxidative state. And when the body doesn't have oxygen, it can't really defend itself. I mean, if you actually were to go in through the wall of a cell, go through the cytoplasm and find the little organelles floating around in there, called the mitochondria, which there's probably one thousand or so per cell and thirty two trillion cells, so it's estimated we have one hundred and ten trillion mitochondria, about ten percent of your body weight of these little mitochondria. These this is the true energy source for human beings. And when cells become metabolically sick, it usually begins in the mitochondria, including the genesis of cancer and forms of all kinds of different pathologies. So when the mitochondria does not have the right oxidative state, you have a sixteenfold step down in its production of energy. And what happens when you take a sixteenfold step down in the energetic state of a cell is now that cell can no longer eliminate waste, repair, to toxify, regenerate, and so you're becoming metabolically sick mainly because of the deficiency and oxygen. It's not that linear, but that is the main component. And sedentary lifestyle means that we have prolonged periods of where our respiratory rate is very shallow. When a respiratory rates very shallow, the majority of the air that we breathe in and out is high in carbon dioxide seek spelled air. I mean right now, every time you let out a breath from the tip of your nose, in the front of your lips, all the way down your esophagus, through the back of your pharynx and all the way down and out to the baranchials in your lungs. This is all expired air. So when you breathe in and out, if it's very shallow, you're breathing in that repetitively expired air, and you're dropping that oxidative state in the blood. You're making the blood more acidic, You're making it more hospitable to disease, not alkaline, and less hospitable and not full of oxygen, which is energetic, and so water wasts to get more oxygen. Obviously, things like breath work just simply moving body.
Speaker 2: Give us, give us one that. So I love what you're saying here because it's so fascinating to understand that the reason a shallow breath is reducing our lifespan is because of this idea of just how much can get stuck and lost.
Speaker 1: In there that's changing in the gases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so what are some breathwork practices? Because I think what we don't realize today is with everyone dealing with anxiety, dealing with stress, dealing with pressure, we're all subconsciously breathing far more shallower and we're breathing quicker. And you got these shorter, quicker breaths, and I think sometimes we're doing it without knowing at all. What are some great breath work practices that you stand by that so.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't have a breathwork practice that I take credit for. I use a whim half style of breath work. I mean, you could spend a lifetime going and I encourage people to do so. I mean the lifetime going down just the breath work avenue. There's breath work to wake up, there's breath work to go to sleep. But I think it's important, you know, as a part of a really daily health practice, longevity practice. Are you just taking a deep breath now?
Speaker 2: I'm like, He's like, say yeah, I'm like, yeah, let's get it really too.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not dying anytime. Yeah, I'm not going I'm not going down.
Speaker 2: I'm listening to once and is taking a breath right now too. Everyone's like everyone's saying the same thing I'm doing. They're doing it right now. Everyone's like counting how long that breath is right now.
Speaker 1: The truth is, you know, it's better to breathe deeper and longer and less frequently than it is to breathe more shallow and less frequently. In fact, wim Hoff, in some of his teachings, will do a very simple exercise where he'll say, I just want you to look down at your watch, and I want you to count the number of times you breathe in and out in the next minute. And people will just they don't know that they're actually being tripped. And what he's showing is that the majority of people are are are breathing fifteen, eighteen, sometimes twenty breaths in sixty seconds. And what this is showing you is if you're breathing that frequently, you're breathing that frequently because of the very little amount of oxygen that you're getting, and so you're breathing show and your brother buddy is trying to get more oxygen. Then he says, okay, count the number of breass in the next minute. I want you to only take four breasts for the entire minute, one every fifteen seconds, and you're gonna breathe in, and you're gonna pause, and you're gonna breathe out. And so essentially what he's trying to demonstrate is that in that same minute, four breaths actually was equivalent to fifteen or eighteen or twenty breasts in the same period of time, but they were four deep press as we age. I read a statistic. I don't know if there's any valid science behind this or not. I actually got hassled online for repeating this, but I read a statistic that after age thirty, less than ninety five percent of people will ever sprint. Again, how much truth is to that? But as I kind of just meander my way through the world, I have a tendency to think that it's you know, fairly close. And if it's not ninety five percent of people, maybe it's seventy percent of people. But after age thirty, and this means that we're not using our auxiliary muscles of respiration, we're not using our inner costals, we're not using our diaphragm to massage or intestines. We're not correcting our posture and getting you know, air down into the lobes of our lungs and out of the apex of our lungs. And so what wim Hoff talks about is is I do three rounds of thirty breaths every morning. It takes about eight minutes. That is the one thing that I do. Then I never ever, ever, ever miss.
Speaker 2: Three rounds of thirty breaths that every minute you're only taking four.
Speaker 1: Breath no, no, so it's three rounds of thirty breasts. So the one minute of four breasts was just a way of showing you how you're actually hyperventilating yourself. You're actually you know, if you're taking twenty breaths in a minute or fifteen breaths in a minute, those are really short breasts, and which means you're not drawing in a lot of oxygen, and you made it through the next minute breathing less than a quarter of the amount of time. And it just shows you that it's because during those fifteen or eighteen breasts, you use the apex of your lungs. During those four breasts, you use the lobes of your lungs, where two thirds of the storage capacity is. And so it's just demonstrating the fact that getting oxygen deep into the lows of our lungs and into our bloodstream is a very very healthy thing, and it not only elevates your mood and your emotional state, but it is the antithesis of disease. It can actually even alkalize the blood. So I do three rounds of thirty breasts obnoxiously deep breast and then exhale, and then on your thirtieth breath, and you exhale and you hold as long as you can when you start, and you might be holding your breath for fifteen seconds, twenty seconds. After several months of doing it, because the oxygen tension will change, their storage capacity changes, you'll be up to I'm up to almost four minutes now, so I can hold my breath for four minutes between rounds. And you want on that exhale, you want to build carbon dioxide. That's a mean vasodilator in human bodies, not nitrocoxide, it's carbon dioxide. The reason why we get vascular during exercise is because of the carbon dioxide traveling back to the lungs, not necessarily because of the pressure. So we want the carbon dioxide to build up. We want that vasodilation, and then post vasodilation, we take a nice, obnoxiously deep breath in, we let that air out, and we start again. It's like my coffee, my caffeine, my double espresso in the morning. I call it my drug of choice because my body craves it like a rat to cheese. So within thirty minutes of waking every day, I'm finding a spot to do thirty minutes of breath work. And the great thing about it is number one, it's free, and number two, it's portable. You do it in the hotels. You just sound a little weird doing it in the hotel room or in airplane bathroom. You know, when I'm on long flights, I go in the restroom and do it. God only knows what they think of doing in there.
Speaker 2: About every why would you do? And you see it?
Speaker 1: Well, like everybody out there, I'm stressing out, yeah, to ring the flight attendant call button. But I was actually on a long flight from Dubai back to New York. And actually a few times ago when I was in La, I went La to to Dubai on Emirates and and they got a big bathroom in the front of the plane there, and I just went in there and had at it, you know, like twenty five air squads and then they would do twenty five deep press, twenty five air squats, twenty five deep press. And I could see the looks on people's face when I came out of the bathroom, and I'm like, I feel great and then every hour on the hour is going back in and doing the same thing. I know they were thinking, God, just give it a rate, give it a break.
Speaker 2: Guy, gym on planes, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They we need to normalize gym's on planes. Know, somebody was actually talking to me about them. My friend Mikey Wang was talking to me about that the other day, how he wants to put gyms on planes. Take out the bar and even if you just put like some t r X bands or something, you know, I can't I can't imagine a squad rack with some freeways. But but what a cool thing it would be if if the business last section in the back, like an Emirates it's it's a bar back there with you know, with a cool TV and lounge seats. But I'd love for one to put some islets around and just throw up some tr X bands.
Speaker 2: I would be back there.
Speaker 1: In fact, I had a whole group of people in the back of the planes, about twelve or thirteen of us last time on my way to Dubai, and it convinced everybody to do breathwork, and we all sat in a big circle on the back of that airbus and did breathwork for like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, Gary, what's it. I want to go back to some of you said earlier, what's the relationship between mental health and vintomin deficiencies.
Speaker 1: Well, if you look at I don't think this is talked about enough. I don't think it's talked about enough either. You know, when we talk about mental health and lack of mental fitness, you know, so many mental health disorders are in my opinion, poorly understood. They are defined one way and treated a different way. And just had doctor Palmer from from from Harvard on my podcast. It was fascinating how he was treating. And he's a board sort of phed psychiatrist, an MD and Harvard professor, and he's treating some of the most drug resists than psychiatric illnesses. And I'm talking about the most awful of psychiatric illnesses, you know, paranoid schizophrenia, the conditions where people are literally tortured inside their own head, voices, what have you. And they're drug resistant and he treated them with supplements and ketogenic diets. And again I'm not trying to oversimplify, you know, mental health by any means and saying if you're suffering from sphere depression, just get on the kogenic diet. That's not at all what I'm saying. But if you look at the if you keep digging in and you say, okay, what is a mood or what is an emotional state? These are collections of neurotransmitters, their recipes. Right, what is anxiety? It's an excess. It's an elevation of a category of neurotransmitters called catecholamines. So if catacholamines rise in your brain, you will feel fearful. You will actually feel the presence of a fear without the presence of a fear. And when we understand that, the brain can play tricks on us because it truly doesn't know the difference between perception and reality. I use the example that if you drove home tonight and you got out of your car and somebody was standing in front of you with a knife, very real fear, right, you would begin to have a fight or flight response. Pupils would dilate, heart rate would increase, your extremities would flood with blood. But you could also be in your place here and we're very high on the mountain in la and you could be laying in your bed tonight, and you could start thinking about getting eaten by shark. You know that the chances of a shark being out of the Pacific Ocean and making it up there at that theorial even if you had nuber when we are virtually zero, but you could have the exact same reaction. How is it that I could have the same reaction to the presence of a real fears and entirely imagine fear because at their core, at the hub or all these spokes meet, it's the same thing. It's a rise in catecola means. So if we know fear can be born from a rise in caatecola means, then we know anxiety and anxiousness can be from a rise in catcola means. This is why so many people that have anxiety or it's anxiousness. Very often we'll say, I've had it on and off throughout my entire lifetime, and I cannot point to the specific trigger that causes it. They could be sitting on a podcast like we are right now, very calm, their staff around, nothing to be afraid of, and all of a sudden become overwhelmed with anxiety. So and then we take it a step further and we say, well, where these neurotransmitters come from? How do we make neurotransmitters? Well, the majority of these are made in the gut. Serotonin, for example, it's methylated in the gut. We take a simple amino acid called trip the fan we methylated into the neurotransmitter serotonin. It travels up the biggest nerve and it creates a mood. We take feml alanine and tyrosine and we turn those into dopamine, the main driver of behavior. So if we know that mood and behavior driven by neurotransmitters that are derived from amino acids, then why isn't it possible that deficiencies and amino acids could give rise to deficiencies and neurotransmitters. We could then be interpreted as a mental illness. And again I am not trying to oversimplify mental illness by any by any means, I believe in therapy. I also believe that you know, meds do work in many cases. But why wouldn't we start first? If we define, for example, depression as an inadequate supply of serotonin, then why are we not trying to raise the level serotonin? If we define some addictive tendencies as an inadequate supply of dopamine. The absence of dopamine is the presence of addiction. One of the reasons why addiction has a tendency to shift is because we never treat the dopamine deficiency. We only treat the physical addiction. Right, So these are why drug addicts become alcoholics, alcoholics become work alcoholics, work altoholics become workaholics. You know, you shift one addiction for another because that deficiency in dopamine drives you to want to feel normal. And this is where I believe most addictions starts is the search for normalcy, not the search for a high. Right. I don't believe that most most addicts woke up one day and said I want to get really banged up. They woke up one day and said I want to feel normal or numb or numb numb, yeah, yeah. And in this search for that numbness or the search for that normalcy, whether it was alcohol or nicotine or permiscuity or what have you, they felt that that either that numbness or that sense of normalcy, and then the addiction grew from that, and so they were then running from a low, not running towards a high. And this is one of the reasons why I have so much empathy for people that are trapped in the cycle of addiction. And I think that more addictive therapy needs to address these dopamine deficiencies. But now we're getting down to the possibility that nutrient deficiencies could give rise to neurotransmitter deficiencies that could give rise to states of mental instability. And then we label this mental illness. You have add ADHD, you have OCD, you have manic depression, you have bipolar, you have schizophrenia, you have generalized anxiety, you have generalized depression, which I personally think our nonsense. Again, I'm not attacking their mental health profession. When you deprive the human body of certain raw materials, you get the expression of disease. And we accept this in so many different areas of medicine, but we don't really accept it in mental illness, right, I mean, how how is a leading PhD from Harvard having success treating drug resistant mental illness with diet, Because it's not the diet, it's the nutrients that they were deficient in. And how is it that people that experience high rates of anxiety and anxiousness, and attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder can sometimes do something as simple as take a methylated multi vitamin and experience a dramatic reduction in their symptoms. Because nutrients matter. The human beings such a the human body is such a fascinating machine.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's the more you study human physiology, the more you believe in God. Because there's no way that this was just assembled by accident or by chance over time. Right, I don't care how much time you give two bacteria in a mud puddle, you're never going to get a human being out of it. And the intelligence with which it's designed. How one raw material enters a cycle, it gets used, it creates waste, and then that waste is accepted and taken into another cycle and it's utilized, and it's like one man's trash is another man's treasure. And cellular metabolism is so fascinating because one amino acid enters a cycle and it gets converted into something completely different. Homocysteine gets it's metabolized into methionine. Homocysteine then can be one of the most inflammatory compounds in the human body. This gets metabolized into mathiony, which then goes up into the mind and quiets the mind by dismantling by by essentially down regulating Catechola means these fire or flight neurotransmitters, so puts people into a calm state of being calm. So then you start to understand, Well, the majority of people that have leap disturbance have one or two types of sleep patterns. They are either lay down to go to sleep, body tired, and they are mind awake. So when their environment quiets, their mind wakes up. Why does mind wake up when the environment quiets, because you have excess catechola means in the brain, there's a gene mutation called comp T c MT catechyl omethyl transferrase. It's a fancy way of saying the gene the codes for the enzyme that that breaks down this class of neurotransmitters that down regulates them. Well, let's say that this gene mutation, you have this and you have an imperatability to downregulate catcola means. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that catechola means create a wakened state in the brain. And so this waken state usually happens at night and somebody will lay there and they will just think about the most innocuous little thoughts while they are exhausted. They're just like, did I get everything on my grocery list? Did my belt match my shoes? We changed the junior label to fusia from dark blue, you know, and you're like, why am I thinking about this at two thirty in the morning, right, Or you get up to use the restroom and you go back to bed and you lay there and your minds awake. And so you don't have a sleep disorder. You don't have a mental disorder, you don't have generalized anxiety, you don't have a mood disorder. You have excess catecola means in the brain, and very often these can be downregulated very simply with complexes of B vitamins, methylated B twelve methyl fol eight, the raw material that the body needs to downregulate these. And by not giving the body the raw material, we get this expression of disease, and then we say this person has this condition.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I tell the same story all the time a lot about when I was in grad school and I took these these plant botany courses, which I didn't like to take because I wanted to get a human biology degree and I had to study algae that wasn't wasn't super interesting.
Speaker 2: Today, That's what was so interesting about right up. I remember there's so many subjects now, I'm like, if I knew that neuroscience was a of you know, looking at biology and so many other things, I would have been fascinated by.
Speaker 1: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: I didn't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I really could have cared less about playing biology. But and then you know, and then you have to start a rock stratus and and you know, fossil lineages and all this.
Speaker 2: Other kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, who makes a career out of this? But but you can actually get a degree in traffic management too, So I guess that I'd rather study rocks than traffic. No offense to the traffic experts out there. You guys are killing it. But uh but you know when we start to realize that, I'm just we cut that out. Just lost half your audience right there, Like, don't don't offend the traffic eyes, dude, somebody's got to figure out when these it's going and.
Speaker 2: Off sorry, I tell I'm just having a good time.
Speaker 1: I'm having a good time too, But I don't know how we got down that road. But in any case, you know when you when when you're studying plans, all right.
Speaker 2: I gotta go. I don't know why that's so funny.
Speaker 1: Hopefully I hope your listeners think it's so funny. But when you're studying plants and you will cut it, maybe we should leave it in. Actually I kind of like it. You don't think you have a lot of traffic experts to listen to the podcast now, probably probably a very look. You probably lose two followers on that. It's worth it. You know, if you have a leaf that's rotting in the top of your palm tree and you call it, true arborist, a true botanist down to your house, and you know, they'll look at that leaf and they won't touch the leaf. They won't even touch the tree. They'll cortest the soil and they'll say, you know what, there's no nitrogen in this soil, and they'll add nitrogen to the soil and the leaf will heal. We stopped thinking about human beings this way. We go very quickly to chemicals. And synthetics pharmaceuticals as a way to solve potential nutrient efficiencies in the human body. And we're fascinating machines like plants, and when if you didn't add nitrogen to that soil, all of the things that were good for that plant would have done nothing. Right, You're like, well, maybe we should water it. Water is great for plants. When you put water on there and nothing happens, maybe we should add solfur. Sulfur is great for plants, and you put sulfur, you put peat moss on there, and you're like, peat musca is great for plants. And this happens in human beings too. We don't get data, so we actually never find the nitrogen. We never find the raw material that's actually missing that's causing the expression of disease. And this is how most people wander their way through their supplement routine. They get they get lost in the myriad of great supplements and they start supplementing for the sake of supplement well and and good. Yeah it's great. It raises any d levels. Is res vitrial good? Yeah, it can Lengthen tell them is Saint John's worth good? Is oshwaganda? Good. Is sapplemental good? Should I take COQ ten? I mean, you could make an argument for all of these different things that we could supplement with, but like the missing raw material, like the missing nitrogen in the soil, if you don't find the deficiency, none of that matters. And that's why I tell people that they should get data on their body. You know, there's seventy four biomarkers that I look at in the blood. They're write up on my Instagram. If anybody wants to take those biomarkers off my Instagram, take them to your doctor, your your healthcare practitioner and say, hey, will you look at these in my blood and have your doctor interpret those. That's a great place to start. I put the genes that I think are the most impactful for mental health and for gut health, and for mood and for anxiety and for quieting the mind, and for the research that I've been able to uncover on add and ADHD and poor sleep, poor focus, and concentration. And you could take those five genes and you can, you know, find a genetic methilation counselor or find a place to get a genetic methylation test and get data so that you go, you know, like you were telling me, but when we sat down before the podcast, you're telling me where you got to get your blood work done. That's great because you're getting data, You're not just aimlessly wandering around going. I don't know if I feel good. I don't know if I feel normal. I don't know if I could feel better. I don't know if maybe some of the little nagging things that are going on in my life. And I don't know if you have any but of course, yeah, yeah. I mean I'm not sleeping as good as I could work it out, and I don't have a response to exercise like I wanted. I feel like my focus is off, you know, my waking energy is a little I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna ask you idea about that because I think a lot of people feel and I want to talk about some of the symptoms that I hear from our community, our audience and what people feel and to get your take on how to combat that. So one of the biggest things I hear from people is, Jim, I'm just feeling brain fog, all right. I'm just feeling like I have no clarity, like I struggle to make decisions. I'm feeling a sense of low energy and so like I'm lethargic, Like these are very common things. So with what's going on, then, well.
Speaker 1: I mean everything that you feel about energy, like when you say I don't have I'm low on energy, physiologically, what you're saying is I'm low on oxygen in my blood. Because everything that you perceive about energy is nothing more than oxygen in your blood. So if oxygen equals energy, which it does, then if I want to raise your energy level, I need to improve the oxidative state. And how do I do that? Well, one of the ways, and I'm not saying this is the only way, but one of the physiologic pathways is if we know energy equals oxygen, then we take it a step further and we say, well, what carries oxygen around the human body? Well, red blood cell carries oxygen inside of a fluid. And I'm simplifying for you ultra work biohackers, but the you know, the red blood cell carries oxygen inside of a fluid called hemoglobin. So if I'm low on red blood cells, right, I'm low on vehicles to carry oxygen. If those red blood cells are further deficient in hemoglobin. Then the few cells that I have that are able to carry oxygen have less fluid to carry oxygen. Therefore I'm hypoxic and it hides in plain sight. So then the question becomes, we're red blood cells and hemoglobe and made well, they're made in the bone marrow. So how do I get the bone marrow to make more red blood cells and hemoglobe? And I go to the bone marrow's boss, which is the hormone testosterone. In men and women, one of the roles of testosterone is eureythropoesis to put pressure on the bone marrow to make new red blood cells. And in nearly every case where we see clinically deficient levels of this hormone, testosterone free testosterone, we see red blood cells and hemoglobin towards the low end of the range. And then you look at well, what is testosterone made from? Well, it mean it's made from several things, but largely from DHA. So if I'm a deficient DHA, you should get that fixed. And what is the next macronutrient below DHA? Vitamin D three? So you go oxygen, red blood cells, bone marrow, hormone testound DHA D three. So if you start in the route and you raise your D three level to the optinal functional range, which I think most practitioners would agree is between sixty and eighty, and then you raise your DHA into the optimal range, and you wait to see if your hormones respond, and if your testosteron rises, especially your free testosterone rises, your red blood cell count and hemoglobin will go up. As your red blood cell count and hemoglobe and level rise, the amount of oxygen that you transport and your blood will rise, and you will perceive that as more energy. You will perceive that as improved focus and concentration, and your sleep will deepen. Why because in low respiratory states, when our respiratory rate gets very shallow, we want our blood to be very good at carrying oxygen. Because if you're already poorly transporting oxygen and then you try to get into a deep sleep and your respiratory rate drops and you get to where you are hypoxic, your brain will wake you up. It will wake you up by pulsing cortisol. And so people that have that are exhausted sleep the worst. And ask a physician sometime, why is it that people that are the most exhausted sleep the worst. They very rarely connect the fact that they're law on oxygen, which is why they're tired and have brain fog, and they're law on oxygen, which is why they're not sleeping because their brain is waking them up. And then they do the worst thing. They go to their doctor and they go, I can't sleep, and so then the doctor suggests something like a solid pedum nitrate diazepam, you know, anesta ambient, and essentially they tranquilize you. And what's happening when you take a lot of these sleep medications, not all of them, but when you take a lot of these sleep medications is you're in a low oxidative state, so your brain's trying to save your life and wake you up. And then you take a sleep medication and you block the brain's view a blood oxygen, so now the brain can't isn't able to try to save your life and wake you up, and so now you get into a deep sleep and you wake up the next morning you go, man, I hate taking tile in all PM because it is I am so groggy. It's still in my system the next morning. It's actually not true that that drug's been out of your system for hours. You're feeling the effects of having suffocated for six hours and so suffocating yourself to sleep and then and then now you've slept, but you get up from this sleep medication and you are still exhausted and you still have brain fall. So there are other potential causes, but but you know that is the one, the one. The one nice thing about the clinics that we have is, you know, we see twenty thousand new new gene test patients a month. We see thousands of new blood test patients a month, so we do we do have voluminous polls of data. And some might say, well, it has never been put through a randomized clinical trial, but it's and it's anecdotal, but it's actually not anecdotal. When you see pools of data as large as we see them, you know, you can say, listen, if you have if you you are clinically deficient and free testosterone, you are very likely to have low red blood cell count. The reason why people feel so good when they get on hormones or when they supplement in their hormones return to the normal range is because the effect of those hormones returning to the normal range reoxidizes the blood. For lack of better words, brain fog has to do with access.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like in the disease Alzheimer's. You know, it's not so much that people are losing their memory, it's that they're losing access to their memory, right, and in the early stages access can be restored, and there's this significant difference between the memory actually fading, which it does in the later stages, and access to the memory fading. So the oxide dative state of the body is very important, which is why I think people really need to get data. If your hormones are in the optimal range, you're not nutrient deficient, you're not insulin resistant. I'm not saying that your blood labs need to be perfect, but by dialing in a few markers in your hormone levels and your nutrient levels, you can live a dramatically different life. And in the majority of cases, probably seventy percent of the cases, people that qualify to be on hormone therapy don't even need hormones. They need the nutrients to make hormones, and not to me is really exciting. You mean, I could just be deficient and something like DHGA like D three. I could have an elevated protein like SHPG, and I could I could take something simple like boron and lower that and raise my hormones and feel a lot better. Yes, I'm not saying that you have to go and get on hormone injections by any means, but I am saying that you need to get data on the deficiency so that you can drive a state of being optimal. Because so many people that I work with will call me, like, you know, weeks into our journey and say, oh my god, Gary, I feel amazing, including like Dana White, and I'm like, you know, you really don't feel amazing. They like what they say, You feel normal, right, That's how normal is supposed to feel. Yeah, you're really supposed to feel that good, right, this was not used to that though, We're not used to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask you, what does it feel like? Have you worked in your clinics with women preparing to give birth and then post giving birth?
Speaker 1: Yes, quite a bit. In fact, our clinic director is a board certified og y N. She's a gonecological surgeon, she's got a double masters.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like that journey, we still don't talk enough about how challenging it is on the human biology.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's very challenging. I mean, if you look at a women's you know what happens during women's mental cycle, and you look at what happens when she becomes pregnant. It's perfectly normal during regular cyclical periods of her cycle for her estrogen to be as high as you know, in the four hundred. Its perfectly normal for it to be in the teens. So it has a very large frequency, you know, rise and fall depending on where she is in the cycle. Soon she becomes pregnant, you know, estrogen goes into the four thousands, mainly because you know, one of estrogen's primary role is to retain water, to pad the uterus and and protect protect the fetus. Has other other roles, but it retains water. But postpartum, you know, want to the estrogen dominant, and you know it's it's not necessarily for women, especially the the level of hormone. It is the ratio of hormones in their body. And you know, doctor Sartus, who's who's our ob g i N is phenomenal about pre and postpartum care. She's an enormous believer that certain gene mutations like m t H f R which increased the frequency of miscarriage. She delivered nine thousand babies, so she's very qualified to speak on that. That the gene mutation that is one of the most common g mutations in the world. The m t H stands for methylene tetrahydrofolate reductastes. It is the gene that codes for the conversion of folic acid and its derivatives like folate into the usable form called methyl folate. And this is what I mean. We have a process in the body called methylation, which is where we take one raw material which is useless. Fullic acid, for example, entirely useless in human Filic acid does not prevent neural tube defects. It doesn't prevent anything until it is converted into methyl folate. So what if your body can't make this conversion. Well, it might not sound like a big deal until you realize that number one, it's the most common gene mutation in the world, and number two, full of acid is the most prevalent nutrient in the human diet the United States. So if you have an issue converting the most prevalent nutrient in the human diet into the form that your body can use. You have a significant efficiency. And the expression of this deficiency is increase in the number of miscarriages, in fertility, a difficulty in getting pregnant. I'm just talking about in the female cycle postpartum depression, which can actually begin before the pregnancy ends. We call it postpartum depression, but very often it begins during the pregnancy. And women that have this MTHFR gene mutation, the first thing they're told when they get pregnant by their obgyn is to take high doses of folic acid. Well, if you put fourteen hundred or eighteen hundred percent of the daily allowance of full of acid into somebody, a woman like that who has that gene mutation and cannot process it, that is a disaster. And she develops postpart of depression before the pregnancy ends. And eventually, when the pregnancy ends, she stops taking the prenatal vitamin and the symptoms go away, and so she blames it on the pregnancy, not on the vitamin. And this is another pandemic that we see is that pregnant women, all of them, could use methyl folate less than sixty percent of them can use folic acid. So why don't we just give women methyl fold eate. Why don't we actually just give them the form that would that they're that their body can use. By the way, fullic acid also is a man made chemical. You can't find full of acid anywhere on the surface theorem, it does not occur naturally in nature. So someone convinced me, how you know a synthetic chemical that we make in a laboratory is somehow necessary for optimal health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bizarre as it can't be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it wasn't even around I don't think until nineteen ninety three or so. What do we do before that? Just suffer? So I'm a huge believer that, you know, getting back to the basics is really the gateway to optimal health.
Speaker 2: How do you know if you have that mutation? And what do you do?
Speaker 1: Right? You do a genetic cheek swab, So there's a cheek swab test. You swab your cheek usually, put it in a test tube, you send it to the lab and they'll send you back the results. Even twenty three in me, I do genetic tests at ten X Health. You do not have to do the test through me, But you know, we do twenty thousand of these a month. I'm sure twenty three meters something similar to that. But you also get a lot depending on the type of genetic tests you do, you'll get a lot of the non actionable data, right. I mean, like if I pulled your entire genetic code, it could see that you have dark olive skin, you have green eyes, you have brown hair, you have detached to ear lobes. But there's nothing you can do with that genetic information. Want you want to look at the genes responsible for converting raw material vitamins, minerals, amino acids into the usable form. I always use the analogy that we pull crude oil out of the ground, right, But you cannot put crude oil into your gas tank. The car doesn't understand that fuel source. Crude oil has to be refined into gasoline now the car can run. Human beings are no different. We put vitamins, minerals, amino acids, nutrients, all proteins into the body, which are useless in that state until they are converted into the gasoline into the form that the body can use. And this is governed by several of our genes and they're very easy to look at and you only that test once in your lifetime.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. Thank you for that. I think that's going to help a lot of people listening and watching, because I feel like question when we're thinking about people are planning for kids or have had kids and they're struggling, and again, I think we all do this. And that's why I'm so glad we're talking about this, because I think the first thing we blame is our mind. That's the first thing we all do is we judge ourselves and we go I'm not strong enough, I'm too weak, I'm mentally not there. I'm not figuring it out, there's something wrong with me, right, But we're not looking at the fact that let me actually take a look at what is wrong and which part of it and where has it gone wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know what I think we try to do, I just naturally instinctively, is when we don't feel good or something seems to be going wrong in our bodies. We're anxious, we're worried, we're depressed, or there's something more physical. We're bloated, we're constipated, we're irritable, we've got cramps, we're fatigued, we begin to look at our outside environment. Right, we look at what's called a cluster of symptoms, and a cluster of symptoms is very often nonsense. We diagnosed Abraham Lincoln with a depression one hundred and fifty years ago with a cluster of symptoms, so we did the same kind of diagnostic. We use the similar diagnostic tools today. What if you consider that it's not something happening to you, it's something happening within you, Right, Like that leaf that was rotting in the palm tree, nothing happened to it. Something happened within the soil that then caused something to happen within the tree, which translated to that leaf. And I always use that example because it starts people thinking that, you know what, maybe I'm not as sick or pathological or diseased or mentally ill as I think. You know, people very often that suffer from gut issues. I mean we see this thousands and thousands of times. So they're like they get gas or bloating or diarrhe or constipation or irritability or cramping, and they are always trying to relate it to what they last ate because that makes sense, right, I ate something and now I blew up like a tick. It must have been what I ate. But you might not be considering that. If you're deficient and at the full eight for example, very simple nutrient, that the parastaltic activity of the gut is off, so the pace of the gut is off. You can think of the human intestinal tract as a thirty foot long conveyor belt. You put contents on it at one end, and as it traverses to the other end, from the stomach to the rectum, there's a very specific sequence of events that needs to occur. There's acidic bacteria and the proximal end of the small intestine. There's there's alkaline bacteria in the distal end near the rectum. What if you just change the pace of that conveyor belt. What if you went into any factory in America that works on a conveyor belt system and doubled the speed of the conveyor belt, the whole line would break down. What if you went into any factory in America and reverse the speed of conveyor belt, the whole line would break down. But there's nothing wrong with a conveyor belt, and so you know it sends people down the wrong road because they're like, well, should I keep my gut bacteria check, Should I keep my gup biome looked at? Should I start taking probiotics, Should I maybe take antibiot and maybe may I have cebolt? Should I change up my diet? And and nothing really seems to work because if they think it's something happening to them rather than something happening within them. And this happens very often with anxiety. With people that suffer from anxiety generally have the same three characteristics. Generally, if you'll ask them have you had it on and off throughout your entire lifetime? They'll say yes, can you point to the specific the trigger that causes it? No, have any anxiety medications helped, you know? They just make me feel like a zombie. Those are very commonly the same sequence of answers. So that is not something happening to you, that's something happening within you. If I ask you if you have anxiety, and you go, yes, I'm afraid of heights, and every time I walk to the edge of a thirty or four balcony, I freak out. Yes, I'm claustrophobic when I step on a crowded elevator, I really get anxious. But if you say, yes, okay, well what causes it? I don't know what makes it come and go pretty much anything. You know, have you had it on and off throughout your lifetime? Yes, then this is a sign that this is a genetic mutation that's led to a deficiency that's causing the expression of that condition. We very rarely pass disease from generation to generation. We do pass deficiency. We pass these genes that are either broken or operating, and when they're broken, for lack of better words, these gene snips, the body has an inability to convert a certain raw material into the usful form, which means that this deficiency is passed from generation to generation. Right, so on, a deficiency in the ability to downregulate homocysteine means that you get the expression of hypertension. So you see that hypertension runs in these families even though there's not a hypertension gene. You see that the inability to convert thyroid hormone T four into thyroid hormone T three, which is a diadonization process in the liver and the gut and the periphery that this process is impaired. So people have hypeo thyroid, but the hypothyroid runs in family, but there's no specific hypothyroid gene, and you could go through dozens and dozens dozens of cases like this. We accept that things are inherited or familial because they run in our family, not because we consider that the deficiency may run in our family and the deficiency can be fixed.
Speaker 2: Two more things I want to ask you, guys. I want to get your thoughts on this tap water, What is wrong with tap water? And what is wrong with plastic bottles.
Speaker 1: We'll start with tapwater. I mean, there are two or three things that I think that everybody should get out of their life, permanently, out of their life. Tapwater is definitely one of them. And the reason for this is that it contains, you know, high mounts of fluoride, contains high mounts chlorine. It also contains microplastics very often. Now it contains the high levels of glyphosates and even pharmaceuticals which are very hard to filter out of the water. And you know, we have to decide if we want to filter things before they get to the temple or the temples. Let the temple be the filter. And what's astounding to me is if you ask just about anyone what's the most important thing to you, your business or your health, they will always say their health. What's more important to you money or your health? It's always their health. But when you just take one step further, and I do this with the entrepreneurs all the time. I was actually at a an event this week with Damon John and it was high level Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the traveling Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And this isn't the pick on Daman. He's a very good friend of mine. I love Daiman. He's done a lot for me, and he's and he's just an incredible entrepreneur and he's been a very very good friend to me. But we were in a room with you know, entrepreneurs, and if you went around that room and we asked several of them what's more important to you your business or your health? And they'd say my health. But then you bring them up and you say, well, you know, how much money did your business make last month? Six hundred and twenty eight thousand dollars, What was your net income one hundred and forty four hundred. How many employees do you have seventeen what's your hemoglobe in a one C like right? What is your we're your testosterone levels? Like right? So true, we are intention is to put our health first, but our activity is very different, right. And and I could have asked them fifteen more questions about their income statement, their balance et, their P and L, the best marketing strategy where they're getting the ROI, what they're you know, what their best return is on Facebook ads or any number of other things, and they would have hit every one of those metrics. Don't know if they have a clinical deficiency invitament D three or not. They don't even have the most basic of information. And so this goes back to, you know, we need to put an imaginary fence around ourselves and start filtering things before they make it to the temple. Just consciously being intentional about what we're letting into the temple. It's very easy for me to look at food and say, are you going to serve me or are you going to steal from me? If you're going to steal from me, I'm not going to let you into the temple. You wouldn't knowingly let a thief into your house, right, And so tap water is one of these things. You know, they're fluoride, which we know is neurotoxic. And if you don't believe floride is neurotoxic, just find a you know, just find a you know, a fluoride toothpaste label in your house of years and crest or Coldgate or any turthbased with fluoride and flip it over and look at the back because there's a required FDA warning on there, and it says if more than an amount used for brushing is swallowed, contact poison control immediately. It also says keep out a reach of children under six years of age, and it also says do not use more than a pea sized amount. So if you swallow more than a pea sized amount of fluoride toothpaste, you're supposed to contact poison control immediately. You will get four times that amount of fluoride in six eight ounce glasses of water. So why wouldn't I call poison control at the end of every day when I'm drinking six eight ounce glasses of water? According to the previous disclosure, I should call poison control at the end of every day and let them know I've been micro poison There was an interesting study that was published by the National Toxicology Program in March of twenty twenty three, and they were able to pull this data from the CDC through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit. And what it found was in fifty two of the fifty four studies that they reviewed, and in nearly every municipality in America that had fluoridated water, they found an inverse relationship between IQ and fluoride. So, in other words, as fluoride went up, IQ went down. So the more fluoride in the water, the lower the pre pubescent IQ. And if that's not enough data, ask, we have to ask ourselves where is fluoride come from? Well, fluoride is fluorosilicic acid. Fluorosilicic acid is a byproduct of phosphate fertilizer production. It's also a byproduct of aluminum production. But the majority of the fluoride that we use the municipal water supplies comes from phosphate fertilizer production. It is the waste from phosphate fertilizer production because if we leave it in phosphate fertilizer, it burns the root of plant. And actually so we can't keep it in because it kills the plant. So we take it out and we have a big stockpile of fluorosilyisic acid. So what are we going to do with it? Well, let's dump it into the municipal water supply because there is marginal and I would call it weak evidence that we can remineralize in the enamel with fluoride and stop twot k, which you can also do with high ruxy appetite and other things that are safe. And so we dumped this into the water supply. But now the evidence is clear that this neurotoxin and small doses over time. It's not the dosage determining the poison. It is the cumulative dosage determining the poison. And one of the challenges that I find with a lot of government on regulatory guidelines is that there are safe levels of mercury, right, There as safe levels of fluoride. There as safe levels of cyanide, but our bodies clear these at different levels. Nobody got mercury poisoning from one piece of tuna fish, right. They got mercury poisoning because they ate, you know, small doses of mercury over a prolong period of time. So fluoride is one of those things. Tap water is definitely one of those things to permanently get out of your life. I use something called an echo water filter and it's a four stage roro filter and then it actually adds hydrogen to the water on the way out. And because the water is demineralized, just remineralize it with a with a salt called Baja gold salt. But you could also use Celtic sea salt. I like this Spaja gold because it has all ninety one trace minerals and they test it for microplastics and whatnot. But just about every grocery store chain in the world has Celtic salt. So you could four stage arrow filter your water, add Celtic or Baja Gold sea salt to your water to remineralize it, and you're covering the basis of of not missing one of the ninety one nutrients, sixteen of which are essential for human function.
Speaker 2: Amazing. So what a great ons I'm hoping No one please stop drinking tap wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, please, it's it is the worst the you know, the daily call to poison control.
Speaker 2: Poison control, I mean that is like, you know, you just think about just the things that we're so conditioned to do on a daily basis, and what this doesn't make it? I don't feel any different. And then it just adds up and accumulates.
Speaker 1: Why would I want to put something into my mouth consciously that if I swallow it, I have to call it poison control set? And then you think huge, Well, how much is being absorbed in my gums? How much? You know, the thinnest skin in the body, and your body is in the floor of your mouth, and it is fraught with blood vessels. One of the best delivery mechanisms besides the oral The first past metabolism is sublingual. So so now I'm drinking tap water all day and then I'm sublingually and then you know, the second thing that's in there is chlorine. And I did a really interesting video on my Instagram the other day and people it really made an impact ripple effect. I went to the faucet and I filled up two glasses with tapwater, clear glasses tapwater, and just set them on my counter, and I had my one of my heads of production just take forefingers and hold them down in one of the glasses, and he held them there for about a minute, and he took his fingers out. And by the way, you can do this the kid. To do this, you can order on Amazon for six bucks. And then I took a chlorine testing kit and I put drops of chlorine in one glass, and I put drops or drops of the chlorine tester, and the other glass. One of them tested very high for chlorine. Them tested as having no chlorine. And so the question is where did the chlorine go? What was absorbed into his skin in just that sixty second period, And so that's how good that transdermal it will absorb that chlorine. You can do that. You can get a chlorine testing kit for about six bucks on Amazon. Just try it. Take your tapwoad, You'll never drink it again. Take two glasses of tapwater, fill it up, put it on your counter, put your fingers down in one glass of tapwater for sixty seconds, take them out and test both for chlorine. You'll find whatever glass you put your fingers in tests for no chlorine. Now imagine that's fluoride. Microplastics and other things. And you know when we talk about plastic bottles and microplastics, you know BPAs, the biz phenols. These these BPAs were until the sixties, they were used as a synthetic estrogen, so it was used in female hormone therapy, labor induction, and other forms of female hormone therapy. Now, how some scientists with way too much time on his hands realized that if you actually mix a petroleum based product with this synthetic estrogen, this BIZ feedal, this BPA, that you'll make the surface of the plastic more viscous and therefore, you know, like oils and waters and fluids and things won't stick to it. How they figured that out, I'm not sure much how that combination occurred, but make no mistakes, the BPAs are synthetic estrogens, and there's some indications that there is enough BPA inside of the lining of a non BPA free can of like tomato paste for example, which acidic foods leach it out, heat leaches it out to actually shift a woman's mentrual cycle so from ovulation to uti or forllicular to ovulation. So imagine that you could actually just be eating of food with enough BIZ phenols in it that not disclosed on the label, that you don't know are in there because it's leeching from the plastic to actually shift your menstrual cycle that is astounding to me, and so yeah, plastic plastic pottles is one. Then I would try to get out as much as you can too, Harry.
Speaker 2: I love We've covered so much great ground today that we've never covered on the show before. So I want to say a big.
Speaker 1: Thank you to you because you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Then there are so many things that I know that everyone's gonna be listening. There's so many actionable things I know that people can practice straight after this episode. We end every episode of On Purpose with a final five, and these questions have to be answered in one word to one sentence.
Speaker 1: Maximum.
Speaker 2: Wow, Gary Brackett, these are your final Why didn't you.
Speaker 1: Tell me about this so I could have had like a really cool answer.
Speaker 2: So question one, what is the best advice You've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: The best advice I've ever heard of receive is you if you want to shrink your problems, grow your purpose?
Speaker 2: Beautiful, very aligned. Second question, next time you come to the show, we're going to talk about that because you have to come back. This is amazing. Yeah, Second question, what is the advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: You're perfect to where you are?
Speaker 2: Question number three, what is something that you used to value but you don't anymore.
Speaker 1: Wealth.
Speaker 2: Question number four, how would you define your current purpose in life?
Speaker 1: I would define it as God given.
Speaker 2: And fifth and final. If you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
Speaker 1: The pause before you speak?
Speaker 2: H that's great, Carry Brecker everyone. If you don't already follow The Ultimate Human podcast, subscribe online, follow on Instagram, make sure you share your greatest takeaways with us both tag us most whether you're using x or Instagram or TikTok, whatever it may be. I want to see what you're playing around with, what you're testing, what you're experimenting, and what you're applying to your life. If you've listened to this episode, I want you to choose one thing that resonates with you, just one habit, just one practice, and I want you, for the next seven days to commit to yourself, Promise to yourself that you're just going to do it just as it is for seven days, experiment with it, and then tell me and Gary what it was like. Gary, thank you so much. I enjoyed the purpose. You are fantastic at what you do, and I'm so grateful to spend time with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, brother, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: If this year you're trying to live longer, live happier, live healthier, go and check out my conversation with the world's biggest longevity doctor, Peter Attia on how to slow down aging and why your emotional health is directly impacting your physical health.
Speaker 1: Acknowledge that there is surprisingly little known about the relationship between nutrition and health, and people are going to be shocked to hear that, because I think most people think the exact opposite.