Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians, choo too. Thank you as always so much for tuning in. For super producer mister Max Williams. Chug a chugga.
Speaker 2: Higher locomotive guys, Ben, that's you. I'm no, I did I do dig trains. I don't know what it is. There's something in the mind of the young boy that just makes you predisposed to digging machines. But I've mentioned multiple times, Ben, as i've got a little older, I've even first they're kind of gone down the rabbit hole of engineering and you know, clockwork stuff. I mean, I think you and I are both a little bit into watches and all of that stuff these days. But yeah, I get it, man, trains, locomote is all the moving parts, the engineering of it all.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's no Brown. I've been bullying where We've got to mention one thing at the top of Max. I don't want to put you on the spot too much.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 1: Not too long ago, Max, Max Williams, you and I got involved in some pretty cool conversations about model trains which you were. Pater Familius is a big fan of Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a mild train collector.
Speaker 2: He loves it by the way, that means fare right, yes, cool google, or like patriarchical gout it. We had a episode back in twenty twenty four March twenty twenty four called back to the Choo.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to try this one vent. We had an episode about model trains, back to the Tuture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know who else is really in the Monel trans two people? Sebastian Bach from skid Row. There is an episode of Trailer Park Boys where he is featured and Neil Young. But I also just found out something else interesting about Sebastian Bach. He briefly was in a Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar and he got fired because he was horrible.
Speaker 3: He did the skid Row scream.
Speaker 1: I thought you were gonna say he just kept going to his trailer to play with train trailer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, apparently I saw. You can find clips of it if you want.
Speaker 2: I was blissfully unaware of this, and it is fascinating because he looks like he is in a very different production than the rest of the cast.
Speaker 3: Let's just leave it there.
Speaker 1: Another thing that a lot of us are blissfully unaware of in American society today is this house Yon era of tall tales, larger than life American heroes from folklore andrely guys. Remember we did a deep dive into a heartwarming i'll call him thoroughly eccentric dude called Johnny Appleseed or John Chapman.
Speaker 2: Hmm. And I think we mentioned in that episode the Disney shorts that featured a lot of these folks, and there actually was a John Henry one that it came a good bit later. The Johnny Appleseed one is quite a bit older. But I believe the Walt Disney Animation Studio released a short film detailing the myth, the urban legend, the folkloric tale of John Henry the Steel Driving Man, back in two thousand.
Speaker 1: That is correct, and today we are tackling another story. This is important to me. I think it's important to all of us in the West especially. It's a story that only grows more relevant as Americans and the world overall grow increasingly concerned about the implications and consequences of l m's AI and automation. It's the legend of John Henry, most famous to a lot of grade school kids for a ballad, and Nola, we're okay with it. I'd love to share just a snippet of a version of this song.
Speaker 3: Oh, surely it's in the public domain at this point. Let's do it. When John Henry was a little baby boy, you get hold him in the bomb of your hand. He gave a long and lost man. What does it mean to be a steel driving man? Ben? What does it mean?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yes, yes, this is a great question, which that's one of the questions we can solve in today's episode, Nolan. But we may not be able to solve all of the questions about the legend of John Henry. As we'll see, there's a mystery afoot, or, if you prefer, fellow ridiculous historians, a mystery on the rails. What say we start with the legend.
Speaker 2: I certainly heard this tale when I was a youth in primary school, though it may be something that has been, you know, moved away from a little bit in modern times. Not one hundred percent sure, I couldn't say, but it seems like that's entirely likely, because I don't think that a lot of the younger generation know much about John Henry, the steel driving man. So according to the tale, he was born a slave in eighteen forty.
Speaker 3: It was freed after the Civil War.
Speaker 2: John then found work as a steel driver for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company. So I believe been a steel driver is someone that hammers the kind of I guess you could call them supports field sort of railroad ties right into solid rock.
Speaker 3: Well, they're not the same as the ties.
Speaker 2: These are more for like building out the tunnels that the trains would go into. So these would be like having to hammer steal into the solid rock to help build the supports for the railroads, you know, for hollowing out these tunnels and mountains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hollow out the tunnels by hammering into the rock, creating a cavity wherein explosives of some sort are inserted, which blows up more space right into whatever you're trying to delve through. And then you move forward a little bit at a time in these harsh weather conditions, and then you blow it up again, and then you do it again and again, add nauseum, until you get through the mountain. And our buddy John Henry is widely renowned, according to the legend, as the strongest, most efficient, best, gosh darned steel driver in all the area. We do have to mention that in real life steel driving at this time in the eighteen hundreds, you're working in two man teams. Like how a sniper as a spotter. If you're a steel driver, you've got the hammer, but you've got a second guy called the shaker, and they are I feel like they don't get enough praise because they have to crouch pretty close to the hole with a little chisel and turn the drill after each time the hammer blows. So it's like if you have ever folks, if you've ever used hammers and carpentry or something like that, you know you have to have one hand holding the nail or a hair comb if you want to do a smart trick, right, and then you got the other your thumb if you're not careful, right, right. So think of each member of the team as one of the hands. Right, John Henry is the hand, but the hammer, the shaker is the hand kind of holding the nail for our purposes. Uh, it's it's huge work. The railroad that you mentioned there, the cno is moving a log chew chewing along, but they have a big problem ahead. According to the legend, they have a mountain in West Virginia called the Big Bend Mountain, and it's too large for them to go around, so the only way out is through. They have to blast blast the tunnel into something like one in a fourth miles of solid rock one.
Speaker 2: As you can imagine, this was dangerous work. This one in particular, led it to a significant number of fatalities. Nearly a thousand men died over the three years it took to complete the project. John Henry, however, was resilient af and survived all the while swinging a fourteen pound hammer. He apparently could accomplish around ten to twelve feet of pounding each day on his own. And and Ben I was something was kind of ringing a bell, and I was like, why am I thinking of Shaquille O'Neal uh here?
Speaker 3: And it is because he played the character Steele in.
Speaker 2: The movie version of the Marvel character Steele, whose name as a civilian was John Henry. Steele not meant to be John Henry himself, but inspired by I mean, he was meant to be, like I believe, like a really talented weapons smith and designer.
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy. I always thought that man. I always thought Steele was a reference to d C comics.
Speaker 3: It is DC. Okay, yeah, same character, but yeah, DC.
Speaker 1: And And it's clearly like that's a great point because it shows us how how brasilient this myth is even in the modern day. So, according to the legend, on to stage, as they're hammering through this fountain, strolls an unidentified salesman and he's just like the guy I selling monoails to Springfield from that legendary Simpsons episode. He's a slick cat, his hair's pushed back, and he says, I've got a solution. I've got an automated steam powered drill that can outperform any living man.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 2: Not good news for the steel driving men of the world. This is quite controversial. So there is a.
Speaker 3: Contest of sorts is organized.
Speaker 2: John Henry being the top steel driver in the human race, it would seem, at least in the region, was to be pitted against this device. This this drill man versus machine. The foreman would run the drill and John Henry, dual wielding two twenty pound hammers, would try to compete with it on his own and seeing who would come out on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tried to solo it, just like at a video game.
Speaker 3: Solo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you'll see that. His second, the Shaker, gets increasingly ignored. In the legend, after thirty five minutes of hand to steam drill competition, John Henry is victorious. He has drilled two seven foot holes for a total of fourteen feet. This new fangle drilled by contrast, only makes one nine foot hole. And you know, like the subreddit, everybody clapped, everybody cheers, they say, oh, John, you're the best. Oh my gosh, oh khalu kalay, joyous day. And then they realize that John himself has fallen down a blood vessel burst in his brain. The hero of the rail company has beaten the machine, but lost his life in doing so well.
Speaker 2: And it's, you know, it's it's a teachable moment on both sides because on the one hand, yeah, did he do a better job, Yes, but could he do it that way forever like the machine?
Speaker 1: No? Right, yeah, yeah, exactly, that's our parable And that's just one version of the story. Obviously, depending on where you hear it. Sometimes the hammers have a different weight. I think in the ballad he is attributed a nine pound hammer, but other times it's fourteen, or twelve or even twenty. The issue is that the story changes over time. Other iterations come later, and they will claim John Henry is not helping blow up these tunnels. Instead, he's one of the guys who goes it, goes along the railway lines and drives spikes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm a little confused.
Speaker 2: I think that's sort of the version of the story that I always heard, and I'm picturing John Henry, you know, and driving those spikes along the railroad.
Speaker 3: But there are multiple versions.
Speaker 2: In this particular version, his mechanical opponent is an automated rail fastening machine. But at the end of the day, the results and the you know, moral of the story, I guess is the same. So whatever you want to call it a legend, a myth, a bit of folklore, it's it's persevered and continued to take on new meaning in the face of you know, further automation, like picture, you know, the story of the Luddites, you know, throwing printing presses off of cliffs and things like that. I mean, we do have historical examples of human beings fighting back against their mechanized replacements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the thing. Humanity, as you're saying, has always had a very complicated relationship with innovation, technology, automation, and John Henry speaks to that or the story at least. He's been the subject of novels. The United States Postal Service put out a postage stamp in his order. He's been in animated films like the Disney Wolde you mentioned at the top, and some of the uh, some the adaptations of the ballad we played to start this episode. Above all, we have to remember that John Henry Has a Song is the single most well known and most often recorded folk song of all of Americana. And that nuts.
Speaker 2: And it makes sense because it does kind of have this dual meaning and that it, you know, tells the tale of American perseverance and building the railroads and all of that, But then it also tells the tale of the cruelty of capitalism, you know, the kinds of things American folk singer Woody Guthrie, whose guitar famously bore the words this machine kills fascists. Yeah, I would have sung, So it really does. It has that nostalgia quality, but it also has that painful twist of, you know, the lie of the American dream in many ways, or at least the stilted truth of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it always reminds me of a later band rage against the machine, which encapsulates a lot of a lot of the same lessons, the morals, the parables. So we can all easily understand, especially in these troubled times, why so many people identify with the heroic character of John Henry here. But today's question is how much of that story is true? And Noel max fell ridiculous historians, as we found, when you search for the truth about John Henry, things can quickly go off the rails.
Speaker 2: Not apologizing they sure can, obviously, the stuff of folklore typically evolves from a kernel of truth, from a real person, from a real event, but then has a way of kind of through that historical game of telephone, taking on a life of itself, and as you said, Ben, even creating multiple versions depending on the teller and the circumstances, and can also evolve kind of with the times.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well said, we know it is true. We know several things are true. It is true that railroad companies exist, so you know, it was a railroad company that existed at the time. It is true that they hired thousands of dudes to smooth out the trade and to cut through obstacles, including mountains and other protuberances that stood in the way of their railroad tracks. It's also true that steel drivers were a real thing and they did work the way described in the legend. But when we get to like to your point, Noel, when we get to the actual John Henry, there's so much debate still in the modern day. And it's crazy because we always mentioned the game of telephone, right, The sheer popularity of this folk tale makes the research difficult. And I got to tell you guys, also, the fact that his name is like John Henry instead of John wickenstatt Borough or something makes it tougher because there are a lot of people named John Henry or yeah, exactly right. So even if he was a real single entity, even if we accept that for the sake of conversation, folks still don't agree on where or how everything went down. And this this historical investigation dates way back, like in the nineteen twenties. You can find people investigating this so.
Speaker 2: Back in the nineteen twenties, a guy by the name of Guy Benton Johnson, a sociologist. He did some digging into the provenance of the John Henry myth legend folklore and concluded that there was a John Henry that might have worked for the railroads, specifically for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company during that massive Big Bend Tunnel construction project. The way he puts it is, one can make out a case either four or against it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, let's do the case four. Perhaps start yeah.
Speaker 1: But also he's kind of shrugging, right, he said, you can say whatever you want. You could say John Henry is definitely real, or you can say John Henry definitely didn't do this. It's weird do He does do a lot of like boots on the ground looking at this. He says, all right, we know the tunnel really was built, and it took from eighteen seventy to eighteen seventy two to make it. And he says, I'm going to go I'm going to interview people in the area and see if anybody has a first hand recollection or written proof of what happens. And he finds a guy who swears up and down that he knew the John Henry personal or you could say another guy, another guy named John Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, to your point, Ben, it being something of a common name, especially for the times, is it does become harder and harder to you know, run down the reality of the situation.
Speaker 3: And here's how Johnson puts it.
Speaker 2: So, this man known as Neil Miller told me in plain words, how he had come to the tunnel with his father at seventeen, how he carried water and drills for the steel drivers. He was sort of a steel drive and caddy of sorts. That's me, not Johnson. How he saw John Henry every single day, and finally, all about the contest between John Henry and the stem drill.
Speaker 3: This seems promising, Ben.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it seems it has specificity, right, and it seems like the guy is sharing genuine memories. We know our buddy. Neil Miller continues, and when he is talking to this sociologist Johnson, he describes the legend of John Henry pretty much beat for beat, and the only big difference is that he says John Henry doesn't die immediately. He carries on a little bit after the fact, and then Miller also says, yeah, there was definitely a steam drill. Let me describe what the steam drill looked like. So he's talking to the sociologist who was essentially a folklorist at this point, and our buddy Johnson is listening to him, and he's writing down notes and dimensions, and so from these he makes a sketch of what that steam drill would have looked like. And he goes back and he looks at photos of early steam drills that would have been around at the time, and he says, Okay, this looks legit. So as you said, Noel, it's promising until there's another turn.
Speaker 2: A bit of a twist not in the favor of this tale. Sadly, Johnson contacted Sino Railroads themselves themselves, and their chief engineer C. W. Johns stated with zero uncertainty that no steam drills were used in the construction of Big Bend. Unfortunately, John's wasn't able to provide a whole lot more information. All the records from that period, he said, burned up in a fire.
Speaker 1: Convenient.
Speaker 3: I was about to.
Speaker 2: Say, but I would think that technology wise, if you were like the historian for a company like that, you'd probably have a decent sense of the kind of equipment that was in play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a great point there, Noel, We know that from Johnson's research in the late nineteen twenties. In his estimation, we do have a John Henry, and this John Henry is in West Virginia. But there are clearly contradicting accounts of what went down, whether a steam drill was in the middle, and there is no documentation to prove it either way. They're just oral recollections. But there are other opinions. We got a fast forward to two thousand and six. This is some banger research by an astorian named Scott Reynolds Nelson.
Speaker 2: In his book Steel Driving Man John Henry, The Untold Story of an American Legend, Reynolds Nelson argues that Henry was in fact a real guy born in New Jersey in eighteen forty eight. He found this information using a different source than had previously been tapped, unanalyzed prison records from the Virginia Penitentiary, and in that he found a nineteen year old African American man with three different names on paper, John Henry, John W. Henry, and John William Henry.
Speaker 1: Now are these all the same guy or these three different jobs? You know what I mean? This is a pickle. At the time, we know that penitentiary inmates were often hired out as laborers to various private companies. John Henry is, according to Nelson's research, noted as having been part of the first group of prisoners assigned railroad tunnel work. And Nelson also looked at CNO's tunneling records, which is surprising because he found stuff that apparently hadn't burned up in a fire.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, curious, sir, exactly. Ben.
Speaker 2: So, with all of this newfound information, Nelson speculated that his John Henry might well have come to Virginia in order to help clean up battlefields after the Civil War, then been arrested for burglary. And we should talk a little bit about the black Codes. That could be an episode unto itself in the brutally hypocritical way that these freedmen were treated after already having gone through such horrific circumstances.
Speaker 3: That's a maybe a conversation for another day.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 2: Then at that point he became potentially one of the many convicts that were pushed into least labor for the C and Oil Company, which I would argue, Ben, and I think this is where you're heading as well.
Speaker 3: Is so sort of almost a form of like indentured servitude, right.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, Yeah, this is definitely I agree. We've got to make an episode about the Black Codes in the future. Their primary aim was to put as many newly freed African American people into the prison system as possible, so all of the stuff you could be convicted of carried cartoonishly overbearing fines and a lot of jail time. And one of the silliest, most evil things about the Black Codes were that in this area, at this time, they've made it a crime for black people to seem too cheerful about the end of slavery right now.
Speaker 2: It's just absurd and not to mention I think, which is appropriate in this conversation or relevant, they created these forced year long labor contracts, and getting out of them, or trying to get out of them earlier, meant that you could not only have your wages garnished, but you could potentially face arrest as well. Aggressively heavy handed implementation of vagrancy laws like and then this is inherently racist in and of itself, the idea of the idle black man finding them for you know, being quote unquote shiftless and layabouts whatever, right.
Speaker 1: Illegal, not to have an employer, illegal to be happy, all kinds of And.
Speaker 3: This wasn't the same as Jim Crow.
Speaker 2: But hand in hands, right, these things operated in concert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, yes, you nailed it right, Like a duck verse is a goose. We're still talking birds.
Speaker 2: So you actually, isn't it true that this is what kind of more evolved into Jim Crow. I mean, they are kind of part of the same thinking.
Speaker 1: Yes, very much so, very much so the shadow of racism. And according to Nelson, there is a a kind of off to the side hero, or at least a well intentioned person in this story. It's weirdly enough, the warden of the prison in Virginia. This warden had been in prison during the Civil War. He was a former ice salesman. He just sold frozen water and he got in trouble with Confederate forces for supporting the Union. And when he became a warden, he looked around at the just horrific conditions of this Virginia penitentiary. And he said, look, a lot of these guys have been jammed up on very small time charges, like you said, being happy loitery, right, maybe taking a little bit of money. He says, if we make them laborers for private contractors, maybe they will have better living conditions, Maybe they will have better clothing, maybe they will be fed on a more regular, more healthy basis. GEK. Yeah, that part is largely lost to history outside of Nelson's research. But like that nineteen twenties sociologist before him, Nelson looked and looked and looked and could find no hard evidence of a steam drill actually being used in Big Bend. That takes him to another tunnel.
Speaker 3: Aha, another tunnel.
Speaker 2: He did find evidence that such a contest took place forty miles away at the Lewis Tunnel between Talcott and Millburg in Virginia. So we do know that there were steam drills that were implemented in that project, and we also know that there were prisoners who worked alongside them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we got to bust a little bit of a myth about the steam drill from the John Henry story. The steam drill in folklore is advertised as this unstoppable amazing kind of evil, unrelenting thing. But the steam drills that were in practice here, they were not perfect. They threw up all kinds of dust, and they threw up all kinds of particulates that would not just endanger the people in the area, there were also the kind of things that were small enough to screw up the machine itself. So we keep running, and the more it ran, the more likely it would be to get jammed up, and so you'd have to have a team of humans to come in either to fix it to clean it.
Speaker 2: Right then, I think in somewhere here in terms of the modern equivalent, you know this this willy nilly deployment of machine learning, large language models to the point where they're trying to use it to replace certain jobs.
Speaker 3: But then they still require people.
Speaker 2: To kind of check behind them and make sure they don't blow up the world, you know, or hallucinate facts when used for you know, writing articles and things like that, right, right, exactly, almost more trouble than it's worth, because it's just it isn't ready, right, It's not there yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir our. Historian Nelson also says the verses of the ballot about John Henry include him being buried near quote the White House in the sand somewhere the locomotives roar. That means that Henry's body, to Nelson's research, was buried in a ditch, not behind Pennsylvania Avenue right, not behind the Potus White House, but behind a part of the Virginia State Penitentiary he called the White House. At the time this was painted white, and later research we don't want to get too dark here, found that there were numerous on marched graves behind that area.
Speaker 2: Which makes sense considering the dangerous conditions of this kind of work and the low value of human labor that was assigned by these railroad overlords. And Ben, I mean, I think we've both been thinking this along the way, and you probably have two ridiculous stories. Is that this, like a lot of folkloric figures, seems like John Henry was.
Speaker 3: He was a symbol.
Speaker 2: We represented a lot of these these things that we're talking about, the evils of the corruption and evils of you know, unchecked industrialization. But he was less likely a single person than he was like, you know, an amalgamation of different people and kind of meant to be almost like a symbol rather than a historical figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's that's the idea. I think we're all we're all picking up here, especially because Nilson's research, which we cannot praise enough, finds that the trail goes cold for this alternately named John something Williams. The prison records for John William Henry, they stop full stop in eighteen seventy three. There's nothing saying he was released for time served. There's nothing saying he died, but the fact that they just stopped writing about him at that time. Given the way of the US Tree of Black People, it probably means he.
Speaker 2: Died not necessarily from a brain aneurysm due to too much pounding.
Speaker 1: You're right, right, a braid agorism, due to too much bounding. We're a family show, what a way to go? But ul a way? You know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the naughtier version of that scenario.
Speaker 1: Yes, scenario yeah, Nelson instead believes that is Henry, the one he has found, actually died of a terrible respiratory condition called silicosis.
Speaker 3: Oh oh boy.
Speaker 2: Now this is relevant because we're talking about the kind of thing that is caused by inhalation of gnarly materials like rock dust and.
Speaker 1: Debris one hundred percent, dude. Yeah, brought on by drills, brought on by blasting, regardless of the of the tunnel in which you're.
Speaker 2: Work And I do have to take this as an opportunity to say a thing that will always live with me is the longest word I know. And I believe this has also been referenced to the Futurama or the Simpsons at the very least. Numono ultra microscopic silicon volcanic coniosis, which is not what we're describing here, but it is the version of it that you would get from working in.
Speaker 3: A coal mine.
Speaker 1: Nice? Is that a real word?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Is mnumona ultra microscopic silica bocanoniosis?
Speaker 1: Thank you. It reminds me of a Mary Poppins song. It's got that cadence to it. That's beautiful. So now, folks, as we're wrapping up, we have to realize.
Speaker 3: It is the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust. So I guess, uh, the what was it silicosis? It's just maybe a shorthand for something very similar, but that that is the word.
Speaker 1: Or that's a specific type perhaps, And at this point, as we're wrapping up here, folks. Our question naturally moves from who was the real John Henry?
Speaker 3: Too?
Speaker 1: Was there a real John Henry? A definitive answer maybe lost the time because not all the historians agree. But Nelson's work is awesome. Do check out his book, and we know most importantly, the legend isn't going away anytime soon. The story of John Henry has been with our nation through countless labor movements, power to the people, through the struggle for civil rights, and now of course returns anew revivified and the great debate about AI and automation.
Speaker 3: Really really great work on this brief as well. Ben. We're gonna come back soon with another.
Speaker 2: Food history story about soft served ice cream for the summer. But in the meantime, huge thanks to you again, Ben for the research on this one. Huge thanks to Jonathan's strickland Is the Quister and A. Jbahamas Jacobs the Pustler.
Speaker 1: Yes, big, big thanks to doctor Rachel Big Spinach Lance, as well as the Rude Dude's a ridiculous crime. If you love us, you will dig them, hopefully not like a railway tunnel. We also have to say big, big thanks to our super producer Max, the Free Trade, Williams, and Noel this is this is a fun one man. I'm really enjoying our time together exploring larger than life figures of American folklore.
Speaker 3: So thank you, ah man, You're welcome, and thanks to you. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.